Subject: Number Eighty in the Series--Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star (4 of 8)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Jul 93 16:28:12 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The initial production version of the Shooting Star, the P-80A, was 
ordered on April 4, 1944, when a Letter Contract for two batches of 
500 aircraft was issued.  In June of 1945, 2500 additional P-80As were 
ordered.  However, following V-J Day this second contract was 
cancelled in its entirety and the first contract was cut back to 917 
aircraft.  

The first 345 aircraft of this contract (serials 44-84992 to 44-85336) 
were designated P-80A-1-LO.  Some of them were powered by the 3850 lb.  
st.  General Electric J33-GE-11 turbojet, the production version of 
the I-40 which had powered the XP-80A and the YP-80A.  Others were 
powered by the Allison J33-A-9, a version of the same engine built by 
the Allison Division of the General Motors Corporation.  

The next 218 aircraft in the contract (44-85337 to 44-85941 and 
45-8301 to 45-8262) were built as the P-80A-5-LO production block and 
differed by being equipped with the more powerful 4000 lb.st.  Allison 
J33-A-17.  Later, the initial production P-80A-1-LOs were retrofitted 
with the uprated Allison engine during routine engine overhauls.  

On January 19, 1945, North American Aviation had been awarded a 
contract to produce one thousand P-80As in its Dallas plant.  The 
designation given to these license-produced Shooting Stars was P-80N.  
However, this contract was cancelled shortly after V-E Day, and no 
P-80Ns were ever completed.  

The first P-80A was accepted by the AAF in February of 1945, and the 
last was delivered in December 1946.  Early P-80As had a overall light 
grey finish which was used to seal all skin joints.  This finish 
proved to be too hard to maintain in service, and was deleted in favor 
of a natural metal finish.  

One P-80A-1-LO airframe (44-85201) was modified as an unarmed 
photographic reconnaissance aircraft, with the guns being replaced by 
a set of cameras.  The aircraft was redesignated XFP-80A, the F-14 
designation originally planned for the reconnaissance version of the 
Shooting Star having been dropped.  The XFP-80A differed from the 
original XF-14 in having a more elongated nose which hinged upward to 
provide better access to the cameras.  

Another F-80A-1-LO (44-85042) was modified in the field as 
ERF-80A-1-LO to test new photographic equipment in a nose of modified 
contour.  

38 P-80A-5-LOs were completed during construction as FP-80A-5-LO 
photographic reconnaissance aircraft.  Serials were 44-85383, 58385, 
85399, 85425, 85433, 85439, the odd numbers in the batch of 44-85443 
to 44-85491 inclusive, and the even-numbers in the batch 45-8301 to 
45-8314 inclusive.  Following the production of these modified recon 
aircraft, a new batch of aircraft (45-8364 to 45-8477) was 
manufactured from scratch as FP-80A-5-LO.  These all had camera noses 
that were generally similar to that of the XFP-80A.  They were 
initially powered by the 3850 lb.  st.  General Electric J33-GE-11 
engine.  However, in 1953, 98 of these FP-80As were reengined with the 
5400 lb.  st.  Allison J33-A-25 engine.  

Many F-80As ended up as drones or drone directors following the end of 
their useful service lives.  Those modified as drone directors were 
redesignated DF-80A, those modified as pilotless drones redesignated 
QF-80A.  

Three P-80As (44-8500, 44-85005, and 45-85235) were transferred to the 
US Navy for trials.  They received BuNos 29667, 29668 and 29689 
respectively, but apparently never got a Navy designation.  Fitted 
with arrester gear and catapult hook, 29668 was used for 
carrier-suitability trials aboard the aircraft carrier *Franklin D.  
Roosevelt*.  However, the Navy never experienced any interest in 
acquiring a carrier-based version of the single-seat Shooting Star 
fighter.  

One of the problems experienced by all early jet fighters was their 
relatively limited range and endurance as compared to conventional 
piston-engined fighters.  One idea that was given serious thought at 
the time was for jet fighters to be towed like gliders behind bombers 
until they reached the combat zone.  These fighters would then be cut 
free, start their engines, and then engage in combat.  F-80A serial 
number 44-84995 was transferred to Wright Field for use in testing of 
the feasibility of this idea.  Several tests were carried out in which 
the aircraft was towed behind a Boeing B-29A-10-BN (42-93921).  
However, this idea did not prove to be practical, and the project was 
dropped.  

P-80A-1-LO (44-85044) was tested with a modified rotating nose housing 
four machine guns which could be elevated up to an angle of 90 
degrees.  It was later fitted with a second cockpit in the nose in 
which the pilot lay prone.  Neither of these ideas proved to be 
feasible.  

P-80A-1-LO 44-85116 was fitted with jettisonable racks for 5-inch 
rockets in place of the wingtip tanks.  Later, it was fitted with a 
rocket launcher gun in a modified nose.  

A P-80A was experimentally fitted with four 20-mm cannon in place of 
the standard six machine guns.  However, this cannon armament was 
never adopted as standard.  

P-80A 44-85214 was fitted with a 30-inch diameter Marquardt C30-10B 
ramjet on each wingtip.  44-85042 used a pair of 20-inch Marquardt 
C20-85D ramjets.  The ramjets were first used in flight on March 12, 
1947 and on June 17, 1948 44-85214 flew briefly on ramjet power alone.  

In June of 1948, the P-80A and FP-80A were redesignated F-80A and 
RF-80A respectively.  

After the end of the Korean War, 137 F-80As and RF-80As were partially 
brought up to F-80C standards.  These were redesignated F-80C-11-LO 
and RF-80C-11-LO respectively, and were issued to ANG and USAF reserve 
units.  These RF-80Cs had improved camera installations in a nose of 
modified contour.  

Specification of the P-80A: Dimensions were wingspan 38 feet 10 1/2 
inches (without wingtip tanks), length 34 feet 6 inches, height 11 
feet 4 inches, and wing area 237.6 square feet Weights were 7920 
pounds empty, 11,700 pounds gross, and 14,000 pounds maximum takeoff.  
Maximum speed was 558 mph at sea level and 492 mph at 40,000 feet.  
Initial climb rate was 4580 feet/minute, and an altitude of 20,000 
feet could be attained in 5.5 minutes.  Service ceiling was 45,000 
feet.  Normal range was 780 miles, and maximum range was 1440 miles.  

Serials of the P/F-80A: 

44-84992/85119  Lockheed P-80A-1-LO Shooting Star 
44-85200 	Lockheed P-80A-1-LP converted to XP-80B 
44-85201/85336 	Lockheed P-80A-1-LO Shooting Star 
44-85337/85382 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85383 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85384 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85385 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85386/85398 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85399 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85400/85424 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85425 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85426/85432 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85433 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85434/85438 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85439 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85440/85442 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85443 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85444 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85445 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85446 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85447 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85448 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85449 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85450 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85451 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85452 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85453 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85454 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85455 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85456 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85457 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85458 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85459 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85460 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85461 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85462 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85463 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85464 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85465 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85466 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85467 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85468 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85469 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85470 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85471 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85472 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85473 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85474 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85475 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85476 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85477 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85478 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85479 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85480 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85481 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85482 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85483 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85484 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85485 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85486 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85487 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85488 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85489 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85490 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
44-85491 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8301 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8302 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8303 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8304 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8305 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8306 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8307 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8308 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8309 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8310 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8311 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8312 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8313 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8314 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8315/8363 	Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8364/8477 	Lockheed FP-80A-5-LO Shooting Star 

Sources:

  War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William Green,
  Doubleday, 1964.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Anguluci and Peter Bowers, Orion Books, 1987.

  United States Military Aircraft since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and Peter 
  M. Bowers, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989.

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and David Donald,
  Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Enlarged Edition, Doubleday, 1982.

  Lockheed Aircraft since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press,
  1987.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033