Subject: Number Eighty in the Series--Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star (5 of 8)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Jul 93 01:31:00 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The next production version of the Shooting Star was the P-80B.  The 
prototype for the series was designated XP-80B and was produced by 
modifying the ninth P-80A-1-LO (45-82000).  A 4000 lb.st. Allison 
J33-A-17 turbojet engine equipped with water/methanol injection was 
fitted, and a thinner wing with a thicker skin was employed.  In order 
to provide space for the water-alcohol tanks, the internal fuel 
capacity was reduced from 470 to 425 US gallons.  A Lockheed-designed 
ejector seat was fitted, and provisions were made for JATO bottles.  
The 0.50-inch M-2 machine guns of the P-80A were replaced with 
improved M-3 machine guns of identical calibre.  

A total of 240 P-80Bs were delivered between March 1947 and March 
1948.  These included 209 P-80B-1-LOs and 31 P-80B-5-LOs.  The latter 
block were winterized models with canopy defrosting.  In addition, 
they used special greases and natural rubber optimized for Arctic 
service in Alaska.  

P-80B 45-8557 was transferred to the U. S. Navy, where it became 
BuNo 29690 and was used for experimental purposes.  

At least five P-80Bs (45-8484, 8485, 8528, 8538, and 8561 were 
modified to duplicate the functions and guidance system of the Bell 
GAM-63 Rascal air to surface missile.  They were fitted with modified 
noses and wing tip tanks, and were equipped with additional vertical 
control surfaces both above and below the wings.  

117 F-80Bs were later brought partially up to F-80C standards, and 
were redesignated F-80C-12-LO.  They were issued to Air National Guard 
and Air Force Reserve squadrons after the end of the Korean War.  

In late 1946, it had been over ten years since any aircraft of US 
manufacture had held the world's speed record.  At that time, the 
world's speed record was 615.8 mph, set on September 7, 1946 by Group 
Captain E. M. Donaldson of the RAF flying a modified Gloster Meteor 
F.4.  In the autumn of 1946, the USAAF decided that it would be a good 
idea for the USA to regain this record.  In pursuit of this aim, the 
USAAAF instructed Lockheed to modify the XP-80B (44-85200) to make an 
attempt to set a new world's aircraft speed record.  

The modified XP-80B aircraft was redesignated XP-80R, and was fitted 
with a set of experimental flush air intakes and a low-profile canopy.  
It was initially powered by a J33-A-17 engine.  On its first attempt, 
The XP-80R failed to average over 600 mph in four passes over a 3 km 
course.  In pursuit of more speed, the XP-80R was returned to Burbank 
for modifications.  The experimental flush intakes were replaced by 
conventional intakes, and a 4600 lb. st. Allison Model 400 engine 
was fitted.  This engine was a modified J33 equipped with 
water-methanol injection.  The wings were clipped and were fitted with 
sharper leading edges.  

On June 19, 1947, the XP-80R was ready for another attempt.  Piloted 
by Colonel Albert Boyd, the XP-80R succeeded in setting a new record 
of 623.738 mph.  

In June of 1948, the P-80B was redesignated F-80B.  

Specifications of the P-80B: Dimensions were wingspan 39 feet 0 inches 
(without wingtip tanks), length 34 feet 6 inches, height 11 feet 3 
inches, and wing area 237.6 square feet Weights were 8176 pounds 
empty, 12,200 pounds gross, and 16,000 pounds maximum takeoff.  
Maximum speed was 558 mph at sea level and 577 mph at 6000 feet.  
Initial climb rate was 6475 feet/minute, and an altitude of 20,000 
feet could be attained in 5.5 minutes.  Service ceiling was 45,500 
feet.  Normal range was 790 miles, and maximum range was 1210 miles.  
Armament consisted of six 0.50-inch machine guns in the nose.  Ten 
five-inch rockets could be carried underwing.  

Serials:

44-85200 	Lockheed XP-80B Shooting Star - Modified from P-80A - 
45-8478/8480 	Lockheed P-80B-1-LO Shooting Star 
45-8481 	Lockheed P-80B-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8482/8565 	Lockheed P-80B-1-LO Shooting Star 
45-8566/8595 	Lockheed P-80B-5-LO Shooting Star 
45-8596/8717 	Lockheed P-80B-1-LO Shooting Star 

Sources:

  The American Fighter, Enzo Anguluci and Peter Bowers, Orion Books, 1987.

  United States Military Aircraft since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and Peter 
  M. Bowers, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989.

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and David Donald,
  Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Enlarged Edition, Doubleday, 1982.

  Lockheed Aircraft since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press,
  1987.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033