Subject: Number Eighty in the Series--Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star (7 of 8)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Jul 93 16:16:37 GMT

>From [email-masked]

In the years 1947-1948, the US Navy was finding that deliveries of its 
newly-ordered Grumman F9F Panthers and McDonnell F2H Banshee 
carrier-based jet fighters were taking place at a considerably slower 
rate than expected.  In order to fill in the gap until adequate 
numbers of these fighters could be delivered and to provide for a 
nucleus of trained jet pilots, the Navy arranged for 49 USAF 
P-80C-1-LOs and one USAF P-80C-5-LO to be transferred to them.  These 
Shooting Stars were all powered by the 4600 lb. st. Allison J33-A-23 
engine.  

In Navy service, the Shooting Stars bore the designation TO-1.  The T 
(rather than F) letter indicated that these aircraft were considered 
as trainers rather than as operational combat aircraft.  This TO-1 
designation was changed to TV-1 after 1950.  Their original USAF 
serials had been 47-218/224, 47-525, 47-601/604, 47-1380/1394, 48-382, 
47-1396/1411 and 48-376/381.  These USAF serials were replaced by Navy 
BuNos 33821 through 33870 respectively.  

These Navy- and Marine Corps-operated TV-1s were strictly land-based 
aircraft and were not equipped with any carrier-landing equipment.  
TV-1s operated during the 1950s with at least two squadrons (VF-52 of 
the Navy and VMF-311 of the Marine Corps).  When sufficient numbers of 
Panthers and Banshees became available, the TV-1s were transferred to 
reserve units and were eventually phased out of service.  

Sources:

  The American Fighter, Enzo Anguluci and Peter Bowers, Orion Books, 1987.

  United States Military Aircraft since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and Peter 
  M. Bowers, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989.

  Lockheed Aircraft since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press,
  1987.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033