Subject: Number Eighty-Four in the Series--Republic P-84 Thunderjet

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Jul 93 16:21:05 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The YP-84A was the designation given to 15 pre-series Thunderjets.
They were all delivered to the USAF by April of 1947.  They were
powered by the Allison J35-A-15 engine of 3750 lb. st. in place
of the General Electric J35-GE-7 (the production of the J35 having
been turned over to Allison).  Armament consisted of six 0.50-in.
machine guns, four in the upper front fuselage and two in the wings.  
The YP-84As were turned over to crews assigned to Muroc and to the
Wright-Patterson bases for tests and pilot familiarization.

Serials of YP-84A

45-59482/59484		Republic YP-84A-1-RE Thunderjet
45-59485/59491		Republic YP-84A-5-RE Thunderjet
45-59492/59496		Republic YP-84A-10-RE Thunderjet

Sources:

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and David Donald,
  Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition, Ray Wagner,
  Doubleday, 1982.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033