Subject: Number Eighty-Four in the Series--Republic P-84 Thunderjet (4 of 13)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 19 Jul 93 16:11:51 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The next production version of the Thunderjet was the P-84C.  It was 
quite similar to the P-84B, but differed in having a 4000 lb.st.  
Allison J35-A-13C in place of the similarly-rated -15C.  The A-13C was 
found to be more serviceable than the A-15C engine.  In addition, a 
new electrical system was fitted, and a simplified fuel system was 
provided.  

191 P-84Cs were ordered in June of 1947.  Delivery of the P-84C began 
in the spring of 1948, and the first P-84C entered service with the 
20th Fighter Group at Shaw AFB.  

The designation was changed to F-84C on June 11, 1948.  

Specification of the P-84C: One Allison J35-A-13C, 4000 lb.st.  
Maximum speed: 587 mph at 4000 feet.  Initial climb rate 4180 feet per 
minute.  Service ceiling 40,600 feet.  Range 1274 miles.  Weights were 
9662 pounds empty, 16,584 pounds gross, 19,798 pounds maximum takeoff.  
Dimensions were wingspan 36 feet 5 inches, length 37 feet 5 inches, 
height 12 feet 10 inches, wing area 260 square feet.  

Serials of the P-84C: 

47-1412/1461 	Republic P-84C-2-RE Thunderjet 
47-1462/1511 	Republic P-84C-6-RE Thunderjet 
47-1512/1561 	Republic P-84C-11-RE Thunderjet 
47-1562/1602 	Republic P-84C-16-RE Thunderjet 

Sources:

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and David Donald,
  Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition, Ray Wagner,
  Doubleday, 1982.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033