Subject: Number Eighty-Four in the Series--Republic P-84 Thunderjet (5 of 13)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Jul 93 16:14:17 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The next production version of the Thunderjet was the P-84D.  The P-84D 
differed from the P-84C in having a more powerful engine, the Allison 
J35-A-17D, rated at 5000 pounds of thrust.  A number of new features 
were added.  The D had a thicker skin gauge on the wings and on the 
ailerons.  It had a winterized fuel system suitable for JP-4 and was 
fitted with mechanical linkages instead of hydraulic in the landing 
gear to shorten the shock strut during retraction.  The pitot tube was 
shifted from the tail fin to the nose duct air divider.  A hinged gun 
deck cover was provided.  

The designation was changed to F-84D on June 11, 1948.  

Specification of the P-84D:
One Allison J35-A-17D, 5000 lb.st.  Maximum speed: 587 mph at 4000 
feet.  Initial climb rate 4060 feet per minute.  Service ceiling 
39,300 feet.  Range 1198 miles.  Weights were 9860 pounds empty, 
16,862 pounds gross, 20,076 pounds maximum takeoff.  Dimensions were 
wingspan 36 feet 5 inches, length 37 feet 5 inches, height 12 feet 10 
inches, wing area 260 square feet.  

Serials of the P-84D: 

48-641/694 	Republic F-84D-1-RE Thunderjet 
48-695/744 	Republic F-84D-5-RE Thunderjet 
48-745/794 	Republic F-84D-10-RE Thunderjet 

Sources:

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and David Donald,
  Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition, Ray Wagner,
  Doubleday, 1982.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033