Subject: Number Eighty-Four in the Series--Republic P-84 Thunderjet (7 of 13)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 Jul 93 20:27:10 GMT

>From [email-masked]

In November of 1950, the Tactical Air Command began the development of 
a variant of the F-84 Thunderjet capable of carrying nuclear bombs in 
a tactical role.  The variant developed for this role was the F-84G.  
It was viewed only as an interim type, being manufactured only until 
the swept-wing F-84F Thunderstreak could be introduced into service.  
However, because of delays in getting the F-84F into production, the 
F-84G continued in production until July 27, 1953, the last day of the 
Korean War.  It actually became the most-widely manufactured version 
of the F/P-84 series, some 3025 examples being built.  

The F-84G differed from earlier Thunderjets in having a more powerful 
engine--the Allison J35-A-29, rated at 5600 pounds of thrust.  The 
F-84G had provision for up to 4000 pounds of external stores.  It had 
provision for inflight boom refuelling, with a refueling probe 
receptacle in the port wing.  This was in contrast to the 
probe-and-drogue system which had been tested on some earlier F-84s.  
Because longer-duration missions were anticipated for the F-84G, an 
autopilot was fitted to provide some relief to the pilot.  Perhaps the 
most distinctive feature of the F-84G was the introduction of a 
multi-framed, reinforced canopy which replaced the clear unframed 
canopy of earlier versions.  However, the presence of a reinforced 
canopy on a Thunderjet was not always a reliable indicator of its
being a G-model, since this type of canopy was fitted retroactively
to many earlier F-84s.  

The first F-84G was delivered in to the USAF in June of 1951.  Most of 
them went to TAC and SAC units and served with stateside units and 
with units deployed in Europe, although a few did serve in Korea.  The 
49th Air Division with one wing (the 20th Fighter Bomber Wing) 
equipped with F-84Gs deployed to the UK in 1952.  The F-84G also 
served with SAC in the long-range escort role.  It began making 
long-range refuelled flights in 1952.  

In 1953, straight-winged Thunderjets were serving with 14 USAF wings.  
Those F-84Gs equipped for the delivery of nuclear weapons used the Low 
Altitude Bombing System (LABS) in which the aircraft would approach 
its target at low altitudes, pull up sharply, toss its nuclear bomb, 
then do an Immelmann and fly back in the opposite direction to escape 
the nuclear blast.  

Some 3025 F-84G aircraft were constructed, bringing the grand total of 
all straight-wing Thunderjets built to 4455.  1936 of the G-models 
purchased by the USAF went directly to NATO allies and to other 
nations participating in the Mutual Defense Assistance Program (MDAP).  
Since they were purchased with MDAP funds, they carried USAF serial 
numbers although these foreign-operated Thunderjets never flew in US 
service.  By 1953, straight-winged Thunderjets were serving with some 
21 NATO fighter-bomber wings.  F-84Gs served with the air forces of 
Belgium, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, France, Italy, Greece, 
Turkey, Portugal, and Taiwan.  F-84Gs were also exported to 
"non-aligned" nations such as Yugoslavia, Iran, and Thailand.  Since 
Yugoslavia was at that time run by a "Communist" government, the 
export of F-84Gs to Yugoslavia caused some political controversy in 
the USA.  

The F-84G had been largely retired from SAC by 1956, but was still 
active with the TAC.  By the late 1950s, they had largely been 
replaced in USAF service by swept-wing F-84F Thunderstreaks.  

Specification of the F-84G: 
One Allison J35-A-29, 5600 lb.st.  Maximum speed: 622 mph at sea 
level.  An altitude of 35,000 feet could be attained in 9.4 minutes.  
Service ceiling 40,500 feet.  Maximum range 2000 miles.  Weights were 
10,205 pounds empty, 14,724 pounds gross, 22,46 pounds maximum 
takeoff.  Dimensions were wingspan 36 feet 5 inches, length 38 feet 1 
inches, height 12 feet 7 inches, wing area 260 square feet.  

Serials of the F-84G: 

51-692/996 	Republic F-84G-1-RE Thunderjet 
51-997/1066 	Republic F-84G-5-RE Thunderjet 
51-1067/1116 	Republic F-84G-10-RE Thunderjet 
51-1117/1226 	Republic F-84G-15-RE Thunderjet 
51-1227/1281 	Republic F-84G-20-RE Thunderjet 
51-1282/1343 	Republic F-84G-25-RE Thunderjet 
51-9548/9622 	Republic F-84E-30-RE Thunderjet 
51-9623/9707 	Republic F-84G-2-RE Thunderjet 
51-9708/9964 	Republic F-84G-6-RE Thunderjet 
51-9965/10304 	Republic F-84G-11-RE Thunderjet 
51-10305/10764 	Republic F-84G-16-RE Thunderjet 
51-10765/10974 	Republic F-84G-21-RE Thunderjet 
51-10975/11249 	Republic F-84G-26-RE Thunderjet 
51-16643/16751 	Republic F-84G-26-RE Thunderjet 
52-2893/3192 	Republic F-84G-31-RE Thunderjet 
52-3193/3242 	Republic F-84G-25-RE Thunderjet 
52-3243/3329 	Republic F-84G-30-RE Thunderjet 
52-8287/8486 	Republic F-84G-31-RE Thunderjet 

Sources;

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and David Donald,
  Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition, Ray Wagner,
  Doubleday, 1982.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033