Subject: Number Eighty-Six in the Series--North American F-86 Sabre (12 of 22)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Aug 93 16:26:42 GMT

>From [email-masked]

Following the end of the Korean War, numerous surplus F-86Fs were 
transferred to US allies.  Oddly enough, relatively few F-86Fs were 
transferred to the Air National Guard, most retired USAF F-86Fs going 
directly into the Mutual Defense Assistance Program (MDAP) and being 
sold to other nations.  

The following is a list of foreign nations which received F-86F Sabres 
from USAF stocks.  Other nations received Sabres built in Canada, 
Italy, or Australia, but these will be covered separately.  

Republic of China: 

The Chinese Nationalist Air Force on Taiwan was one of the first 
recepients of these surplus USAF Sabres.  During December 1954 to June 
1956, the Chinese Nationalist Air Force got 160 ex-USAF F-86F-1-NA 
through F-86F-30-NA fighters.  By June of 1958, the Nationalist 
Chinese had built up an impressive fighter force, with 320 F-86Fs and 
seven RF-86Fs on hand.  

Sabres and MiGs were shortly to battle each other in the skies of Asia 
once again.  In August of 1958, the Communist mainland tried to force 
the Nationalists out of the islands of Quemoy and Matsu by shelling 
and by blockade.  Nationalist F-86Fs flying top cover over the islands 
found themselves confronted with Communist MiG-15s and MiG-17s, and 
there were numerous dogfights.  During these battles, the Nationalist 
Sabres introduced a new element into aerial warfare--many of them were 
carrying a pair of early model AIM-9 Sidewinder infrared-homing 
air-to-air missiles on underwing launching rails.  The Sidewinder 
proved to be devastating to the MiGs.  In one air battle on September 
24, 1958, Nationalist Sabres succeeded in destroying ten MiGs and 
scoring two probables without loss to themselves.  In one month of air 
battles over Quemoy and Matsu, Nationalist pilots destroyed no less 
than 29 MiGs and got eight probables, against a loss of two F-84Gs and 
no Sabres.  The Nationalist pilots had far more flying experience than 
did their Communist opponents.  Many Nationalist victories were often 
against straggling MiGs left without wingmen.  

A sort of urban legend has sprung up surrounding these air battles.  
According to a widely-reported story, during one of these air battles, 
one of the Sidewinders failed to explode when it struck the tail of a 
MiG.  The MiG pilot managed to stagger back home, and found upon 
landing that the unexploded Sidewinder missile was still jammed in his 
tailpipe.  This Sidewinder missile was passed along to Soviet 
intelligence, and the Soviets promptly proceeded to copy the design 
virtually bolt-for-bolt, producing the K-13 (AA-2 "Atoll") air-to-air 
missile.  

Japan: 

The next recepient of the Sabre was the nascent air force of Japan.  
In 1954, the F-86F was selected to be the standard fighter of the 
revived Japanese Air Self Defense Force (JASDF) or Nihon Koku Jietai.  
Initially, Japanese Sabres were to come from USAF surplus stocks, but 
eventually they were to assembled in Japan under license by Mitsubishi 
at Nagoya.  Between December 1955 and 1956, the newly-formed JASDF 
received 29 ex-USAF F-86F-25 and -30 aircraft.  JASDF serials were 
52-7401/7410 and 62-7411/7430.  The first JASDF Wing was activated on 
October 1, 1956 at Hammatsu with 68 T-33A trainers and 20 F-86Fs.  

In December 1961, Mitsubishi modified eighteen surplus ex-USAF 
F-86F-25s and -30s to RF-86F configuration by adding three cameras 
near the cockpit.  

Pakistan: 

Pakistan received 120 F-86F Sabres in 1956-58.  Many of these aircraft 
were F-86F-35s from USAF stocks, but some were from the later 
F-86F-40-NA production block that was made by North American 
specifically for export.  Many of the -35s were brought up to -40 
standards before they were delivered to Pakistan, but a few remained 
-35s throughout their careers.  They were operated by PAF Nos. 14, 
15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 26 Squadrons.  

Pakistani Sabres were to be key participants in the 22-day war with 
India in 1965 over the status of Kashmir.  By this time the Sabre was 
no longer a world-class fighter, since fighters with Mach 2 
performance were now in service.  Nevertheless, the Pakistani F-86Fs 
were able to give a good account of themselves.  The top Pakistani ace 
of the conflict was Wing Commander Mohammed Mahmood Alam, who ended 
the conflict with a total of 11 kills.  Five of his victories were 
scored in a single day (September 7, 1965), making Alam the only jet 
"ace-in-a-day".  Even more remarkable, four of these kills were scored 
by Wing Commander Alam in a space of less than one minute.  These five 
kills were all against Indian Air Force (IAF) Hawker Hunter Mk.56 
fighters, which were export versions of the Hunter Mk.6 of the Royal 
Air Force.  

The Pakistani F-86Fs did less well against the IAF Folland Gnat, which 
was small, nimble, and hard to see.  However, only seven Sabres were 
listed as being lost in air combat during the 1965 conflict.  

South Africa: 

The South African Air Force operated 22 F-86F-30-NA Sabres on loan 
from the USAF.  They flew with No. 2 Squadron in Korea, carrying out 
2032 sorties during the last few months of the Korean War.  Following 
the end of the Korean War, the SAAF Sabres were returned to the USAF.  

Belgium: 

Belgium's Force Aerienne Belge received five F-86F-25 fighters in June 
of 1955.  However, this nation never adopted the Sabre as a service 
type.  

Norway: 

Beginning in 1957, Norway's Kongelige Norske Flyvapen received 115 
F-86F-35s.  They were assigned to Norway through the US military aid 
program as replacements for F-84G Thunderjets.  The delivery of the 
first of 90 F-86Fs took place in March of 1957, and was completed by 
May of 1958.  In order to cover attrition, Norway received two more 
batches of F-86Fs, consisting of six and 19 aircraft respectively.  
F-86Fs operated with No. 331 Squadron at Bodo, No. 332 Squadron at 
Rygge, No. 334 Squadron at Bodo, and No. 338 Squadron at Orland.  The 
last Norwegian squadron operating the F-86F transitioned to the 
Northrop F-5 in 1967.  

Spain: 

In exchange for letting the USAF use airbases in Spain, surplus F-86Fs 
were delivered to Spain's Ejercito Del Aire Espanol to replace their 
aging Hispano-built Messerschmitt Bf-109 fighters.  In the mid 1950s, 
the Ejercito del Aire Espanol received a total of 270 ex-USAF 
F-86F-20, -25, and -30 fighters.  They were reconditioned by the 
Construcciones Aeronauticas S.A (CASA) near Madrid, modernized, marked 
with Spanish insignia, and turned over to the Spanish Air Force.  Most 
were brought up to F-86F-40-NA standards by CASA.  The Spanish F-86Fs 
were given the designation C.5, and were assigned serial numbers C.5-1 
to C.5-270.  They served with the Ala de Caza 1 (Fighter Wing 1), AdC.2,  
AdC.4, AdC.5, and AdC.6.  The last Sabre was delivered in 1958.  
These F-86Fs were replaced by the Northrop F-5 beginning in 1967.  The 
last Spanish Sabre (C.5-199, F-86F-25 52-5330) was phased out of 
service at the end of 1974.  

A dozen or so Sabres are preserved in Spain.  C.5-82 (former 
F-86F-40-NA serial number 55-3966) is on display at Torrejon.  C.5-231 
(former F-86F-25 serial number 52-5307) is mounted on exhibit at 
Moron.  

Republic of Korea: 

The Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) received its first Sabres when 
five F-86Fs were turned over to ROK pilots on June 20, 1955.  Korea 
received 85 ex-USAF F-86F-25 and -30 fighters between June 1955 and 
June 1956.  These replaced the F-51D Mustang fighters used previously.  
In 1958, 27 more F-86Fs and ten RF-86F reconnaissance aircraft were 
delivered.  Many of the ROKAF ex-USAF Sabres were retrofitted with the 
"F-40" wing with extended tips and slats.  Many were modified to carry 
the AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missile.  These ROKAF Sabres were 
replaced by Northrop F-5s beginning in 1965.  

Philippines: 

The Philippines received 40 ex-USAF F-86F-25, -30 and -35s in 1957-58.  
they equipped the 6th and 7th Tactical Fighter squadrons of the 5th 
Fighter Wing and the 8th and 9th Tactical Fighter Squadrons of the 6th 
Fighter Wing.  These were replaced by Northrop F-5s beginning in 1966.  
The last Philippine F-86F was withdrawn from service in 1979.  

Peru: 

The Fuerza Aerea Del Peru received 26 F-86F-25's in 1955.  At least 
two squadrons operated the Sabres.  Attrition was heavy, and at least 
nine were lost in accidents by December of 1963.  One of the primary 
causes was wing spar cracks, since the FAP pilots tended to fly their 
aircraft aggressively in mock combat against rival Hawker Hunter 
equipped units.  They were finally retired in 1971.  

Venezuela: 

The Fuerzas Aereas Venezolanas received 30 ex-USAF F-86Fs in 1955-60.  
These were operated by Grupo Area de Caza No. 12, Escuadron de Caza 
36 Jaguares and Escuadron de Cazas 37 and 38.  These operated 
alongside F-86Ks acquired from Luftwaffe surplus stocks.  Four FAV 
F-86Fs participated in an abortive revolt in 1958, strafing the 
presidential palace in Caracas.  Six F-86Fs were lost in accidents.  
Most surviving F-86Fs were grounded in 1969.  

Bolivia: 

In 1973, nine of Venezuela's F-86Fs were transferred to the Fuerza 
Aerea Boliviana.  These remained in service in Bolivia until 1993, 
when the survivors were finally retired.  Aside from a few unmanned 
QF-86 target drones employed by the US Navy, these were the the last 
examples of F-86Fs in operational service anywhere in the world.  This 
must be some sort of record for the longevity of a combat aircraft.  
The F-86F entered service in 1952, and remained in service until 1993.  
Forty-one years! 

Portugal: 

In 1958, the Forca Aerea Portuguesa (FAP) received 50 F-86Fs from 
ex-USAF stocks.  These were assigned the serials 5301/5350.  A small 
number of former Norwegian Air Force F-86Fs were also purchased as 
spares in 1968-69.  Two Portuguese squadrons (Esc. 51 and 52) 
operated these Sabres.  In August of 1961, eight FAP Sabres were 
deployed to Portuguese Guinea in a show of force against the 
insurgents.  They ended up staying for three years, flying ground 
attack and close support missions against the rebels.  The were 
withdrawn from Guinea in October of 1964.  

Tunisia: 

Tunisia received twelve (some sources say 15) F-86F Sabres in 1969, 
all of them being former USAF aircraft.  Information about them is 
sketchy, but they were replaced by the Macchi MB-326K in 1978.  

Ethiopia: 

In 1960, the Imperial Ethiopian Air Force received 14 Sabres.  It 
later received enough Sabres to equip three interceptor squadrons.  

Argentina: 

28 surplus F-86Fs were sent to the Fuerza Aerea Argentina (FAA) in 
1960.  The first of these were received on September 26, 1960.  FAA 
serial numbers C-101/C-128.  The corresponding USAF serials are not 
known.  FAA Sabres saw action during an April 1962 coup attempt 
against the established government.  They attacked the Navy base at 
Punta Indio and destroyed a Navy C-54 on the ground, helping to quelch 
the coup.  Argentina attempted to sell F-86Fs to Venezuela in 1976, 
but the deal was embargoed by the United States.  The planes were then 
offered to Uruguay, but the deal fell through just before they were 
scheduled to be delivered.  During the Falklands/Malvinas war of 1982, 
there was some thought to FAA Sabres being deployed to Port Stanley, 
but this idea was deemed impractical.  

Saudi Arabia: 

In 1958, the Royal Saudi Air Force was equipped with sixteen F-86F 
fighter bombers taken from US inventories.  They were retrofitted with 
the F-40 wing with extended tips and slats.  It may have gotten three 
more F-86Fs from Norway in 1966.  Not all of these aircraft entered 
service because of a spares shortage, but those that did served with 
No. 7 Squadron at Dhahran.  They were withdrawn from service during 
the early 1970s and replaced with Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighters.  

Sources:
  
  F-86 Sabre in Action, Larry Davis, Squadron/Signal Publications, 1992.

  The North American Sabre, Ray Wagner, MacDonald, 1963.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  The World Guide to Combat Planes, William Green, MacDonald, 1966.

  The World's Fighting Planes, William Green, Doubleday, 1964.

  Flash of the Sabre, Jack Dean, Wings Vol 22, No 5, 1992.

  F-86 Sabre--History of the Sabre and FJ Fury, Robert F. Dorr, Motorbooks
  International, 1993.

  Thirty Seconds over Sargodha, John Fricker, Air Enthusiast, Vol 1, No 1,
  1971.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033