Subject: Number Eighty-Six in the Series--North American F-86 Sabre (4 of 22)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Aug 93 16:24:01 GMT

>From [email-masked]

Photographic reconnaissance had proven to be a special problem during 
the Korean War.  Both the Lockheed RF-80A and the North American 
RB-45C Tornado reconnaissance aircraft had proven that they could not 
operate unescorted in airspaces where MiGs were active.  A faster 
reconnaissance aircraft was needed, and it was decided that a 
reconnaissance version of the F-86A might fit the bill.  

The conversion program was given the name "Operation Ashtray", and six 
F-86A-5-NAs were set aside in October 1951 for conversion to RF-86A.  
A compartment below the cockpit was enlarged and fitted with constant 
temperature air conditioning for a forward oblique 24-inch K-11 camera 
and two 20-inch K-24 cameras mounted lengthwise with a mirror 
arrangement to provide vertical coverage.  The RF-86A could be 
distinguished by the presence of a pair of camera bay fairing bulges 
underneath the forward fuselage just ahead of the wings.  Most RF-86As 
were unarmed, although some retained a pair of 0.50-in machine guns 
with limited ammunition capacity.  Aircraft converted to RF-86A 
included 48-183/187, 48-196, 48-217, 48-246, and 48-257.  

Five RF-86A aircraft went to the 67th Wing's 15th Tactical 
Reconnaissance Squadron.  On combat missions, it was usually able to 
evade interception and perform missions that were more hazardous than 
the typical reconnaissance flight.  

Surviving RF-86As were replaced by RF-86Fs in Korea and passed on to 
the 115th Fighter Interceptor Squadron of the California Air National 
Guard.  They were still flying as late as June of 1959.  

Sources:

  F-86 Sabre in Action, Larry Davis, Squadron/Signal Publications, 1992.

  The North American Sabre, Ray Wagner, MacDonald, 1963.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  Flash of the Sabre, Jack Dean, Wings Vol 22, No 5, 1992.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033