Subject: WWII-L Digest - 14 Apr 1993 to 15 Apr 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 00:00:09 -0400

There are 7 messages totalling 419 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. REF: U.S. Army in WWII (4)
  2. INFO: Italian Aces
  3. USAAF 15 APR 43
  4. Airshows

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Apr 1993 00:10:56 EDT
From:    Sam Fletcher <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: U.S. Army in WWII

>> Just received in the U. S. government depository section in our library:
>>
>> United States Army in World War II: Reader's Guide.  Compiled and edited by
>> Richard D. Adamcyzk and Morris J. MacGregor.  Washington, DC: United States
>> Army Center of Military History, 1992.  Purchase information from Government
>> Printing Office, Stock No. 008-029-00251-5, $10.00 USA; $12.50 foreign;
>> ISBN 0-16-037817-6.  173 pp., paper.   SuDocs class no.: D 114.7/2:992
>>
>> This is a thorough description of the contents of each of the volumes in the
>> _United States Army in World War II_ series, with a page or two describing

>Are these still available from the GPO? where do I send for a current list of
>the ones that are in print?

>Bob Smart ([email-masked])

Aha!!!  Something I can actually speak about with confidence and knowledge:).
a list of military documents/books is available via anon. ftp from
Byrd.mu.wvnet.edu in the pub/history/military/wwii directory.  I received the
file (gpo_wwii.text) myself and I must warn you that it has a record length
of about 3000.  I've yet to order anything, but I'm rather curious as to
how one goes about it and how much it would cost.  Does anybody know if I
could just walk into the Wash. GPO and ask for the text or do you have to
order it?  Silly question, I know, but I'm curious.

BTW, if anyone would be interested in reading a paper on the courts of the
Third Reich written by myself, a budding historian looking for a research
assistantship for the summer (rush your offers of full-time employment to
me personally:-)), by all means, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do.
Obviously it's not _The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich_, but it's mine
and that's all that counts!

Samuel A. Fletcher
[email-masked]

P.S. Seriously, folks, if anyone knows of somebody looking for help for the
summer, I'd be obliged if you'd hand out my name.  Sorry for the advertisement.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 14 Apr 1993 22:15:31 -0400
From:    "M. Joseph Barone" <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO: Italian Aces

[I sent this a few days ago and never received it, so I am assuming that
it was lost.  If it's a duplicate, I apologize, but it has given me a chance
to add a few more details. -Joe]

> The following are usually listed as the top five fighter aces
> of the Italian Air Force in WWII:
>
> Major Adriano Visconti
> Sg. Maj Teresio Martinoli
> Lt. Leonardo Ferulli
> Cpt. Franco Bardoni-Bisleri
> Sgt. Luigi Corrini
>
> I would like any biographical information on any or all of the
> above.  I am looking for unit affiliations, the fronts on which
> they fought, types of aircraft flown, current location or date
> of death, personal achievements, etc.

        Some of the most successful Italian fighter aces of the war served
with 4th Stormo C.T. of the Regia Aeronautica.  Several were killed during
the defense of Sicily, but one who survived and went on to the end of the
war as one of the two top-scorers was Capitano Adriano Visconti.  He flew
MC.202s, MC.205s, and Bf 109Gs.

        He is credited with 19 victories with the Regia Aeronautica.
Immediately after the Armistice, he led a flight of MC.205Vs to Guidonia
airport near Rome, to escape the German encirclement of Italian airfields
on Sardinia.  His three single-seat MC.205V fighters carried eight
groundcrewmen in addition to the three pilots!  He later commanded the
1st Gruppo Caccia for the Aeronautica Nazionale Republicana (ANR) of
the Republica Sociale Italiana (RSI) in Northern Italy.  He added seven
more kills during 1944.  Because of a high attrition rate and battle
fatigue, 1st Gruppo Caccia experienced a severe decay in morale, which
led to Capitano Visconti being relieved of command late June 1944.  His
successor, Capitano Arrabito, was killed in July and command of the
1st was returned to Capitano Visconti.  When the Germans attempted to
integrate the ANR into the Luftwaffe, 1st Gruppo Caccia burned and
destroyed their aircraft rather than serve under the Germans.  (2nd
Gruppo Caccia drew weapons on their allies and escorted them off of
the airfield!)  Since 1st Gruppo Caccia did not have any aircraft as
a result of these actions, in November 1944, the 1st was sent to
Germany to train with Bf 109Gs and returned to Italy in January 1945
equipped with 54 Bf 109G-10s.  It was during this period that Visconti
was promoted to Maggiore.

        He was killed by left wing Italian partisans in Milan on April 29,
1945.

        4th Stormo C.T. of the Regia Aeronautica consisted of 9th and 10th
Gruppi and saw action over Malta, Libya, and defending Sicily.  The 4th was
considered the elite and received the best equipment Italy had to offer.
The Stormo's first action was over Malta with MC.202 fighters which proved
to be more than a match for the Hurricanes defending the island.  In Africa,
all Italian formations suffered greatly from fuel shortages and lack of spare
parts and consequently saw much less action than their German counterparts
and much of their equipment was destroyed on the ground.  During the invasion
of Sicily, 4th Stormo, now equipped with MC.205s, and 21st Stormo, equipped
with MC.202s, were down to an effective strength of 20 aircraft (again, most
of the attrition was caused on the ground).

        I could not find any mention of the other aces in the few
references at my disposal.
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Look, when we was in the bocage country, we was assaulted by them Tigers!
You know what I mean by assaulted, hunh?!  Well, I mean assaulted!!

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Apr 1993 07:13:54 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 15 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 15 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in
pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, reconnaissance over Kiska, Attu, Semichis, and Agattu
spots no new enemy activities. Two bomber missions from Adak and 11 fighter
missions from Amchitka, composed of 23 B-24's, 20 B-25's, 25 P-38's, and 44
P-40's, hit Kiska; 1 F-5A takes photos; 85 tons of bombs are dropped. Fires
result on North Head and Little Kiska. One B-24 is shot down in flames and
4 bombers receive battle damage.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 10 B-25's bomb the Mandalay Marshaling Yard; 9 more bomb the
marshaling yard at Ywataung. Eight B-24's hit the Thilawa oil refinery
while 7 others hit Prome.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy, RAF Liberators, under operational control of the IX Bomber
Command, hit Naples and Messina.
    In Sicily, B-24's attack Catania and Palermo.
    In Tunisia, B-25's hit the airfield and area near a fuel dump at
Sainte-Marie du Zit. P-40's fly reconnaissance and sea patrol.
    HQ 12th Bombardment Group (Medium) transfers from Medenine, Tunisia to
Sfax, Tunisia.
    The 515th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 376th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
with B-24D's transfers from Soluch, Libya to Bengasi, Libya.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Italy, Northwest African Coastal Air Force (NACAF) B-26's on armed
reconnaissance of the Naples area attack a vessel S of Ustica Island.
    In Sardinia, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) Wellingtons
bomb Decimomannu, Villacidro, and Elmas Airfields during the night of 14/15
Apr.
    In Tunisia, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters
attack tanks and trucks at Oum EL Djema and a concentration near Sidi
Ahmed, while others fly reconnaissance and patrols during the day.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  The 390th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 42d Bombardment Group (Medium)
with B-25's arrives on Guadalcanal from the U.S.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-17's bomb the airfields at Rabaul and
Gasmata.
  In New Guinea, B-17's bomb the airfield at Lae.
  The 7th and 8th Fighter Squadrons, 49th Fighter Group with P-40's
transfer from Port Moresby, New Guinea to Dobodura, New Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air
Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945
by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN
1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Apr 1993 06:24:55 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: U.S. Army in WWII

> Aha!!!  Something I can actually speak about with confidence and knowledge:).
> a list of military documents/books is available via anon. ftp from
> Byrd.mu.wvnet.edu in the pub/history/military/wwii directory.  I received the
> file (gpo_wwii.text) myself and I must warn you that it has a record length
> of about 3000.  I've yet to order anything, but I'm rather curious as to
> how one goes about it and how much it would cost.  Does anybody know if I
> could just walk into the Wash. GPO and ask for the text or do you have to
> order it?  Silly question, I know, but I'm curious.

  The Government Printing Office's mailing address is
  North Capitol and G. Streets
  Washington DC.
  NW 20502

  For information you can phone
  (202) 274-3648
  For orders, phone
  (202) 783-3238

   There are regional GPO offices and they may or may not have what you're
interested in buying "on the shelf."

  Thanks for the nice comments about the gpo_wwii file, I put a lot of work
into it.  The final version will be much more readable and be accompanied
by a database-friendly version.

> BTW, if anyone would be interested in reading a paper on the courts of the
> Third Reich written by myself, a budding historian looking for a research
> assistantship for the summer (rush your offers of full-time employment to
> me personally:-)), by all means, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do.
> Obviously it's not _The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich_, but it's mine
> and that's all that counts!

  You can upload a copy to "byrd" and Mike McCarthy will review and put it
in the correct directory if it meets the requirements for the site.  (NOt
a commentary on your paper, just that Mike screens everything that comes
into the site for historical interest.
   Mike is always looking for contributions, and I'm very interested in seeing
the site get non-U.S.A. documents, since I live in a corn field in Indiana
and have damn little access to the Imperial War Museum or the like :-).

> Samuel A. Fletcher
> [email-masked]
>
> P.S. Seriously, folks, if anyone knows of somebody looking for help for the
> summer, I'd be obliged if you'd hand out my name.  Sorry for the advertisement.
>
Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Apr 1993 07:37:56 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Airshows

          AIRSHOWS IN THE NORTHEASTERN UNITED STATES, 1993
                     ISSUE 1, APRIL 15, 1993

This is the latest list of airshows in the Northeastern U.S. that I have
been able to compose.  The list is sorted by state and any military aerobatic
or parachute team appearing is noted.  Also noted is any known telephone
numbers; please call the telephone number listed for further information.
I will gladly update this list with any additions, changes and/or
deletions.  Just e-mail me at [email-masked]

CONNECTICUT
-----------
Meriden: August 29 (203-238-1911)

DELAWARE
--------
Nothing listed

MAINE
-----
Bingham: September 24-26 (207-672-4135)
NAS Brunswick: Golden Knights, July 24-25 (207-921-2527)

MARYLAND
--------
Andrews AFB: Golden Knights, May 14-16; Thunderbirds, May 14-15
College Park: September 18-19 (301-864-5844)
NAS Patuxent River: Blue Angels, May 22; Golden Knights, May 22-23
  (301-863-1141)
US Naval Academy, Annapolis: Blue Angels, May 24

MASSACHUSETTS
-------------
Andover: Golden Knights, May 31
Hanscom AFB: Golden Knights and Thunderbirds, June 26-27
NAS South Weymouth: Blue Angels, June 12-13 (617-785-2786)

NEW HAMPSHIRE
-------------
Concord: Golden Knights, June 26-27
Pease AFB(?): September 25-26 (617-274-0002)

NEW JERSEY
----------
Readington: July 30-August 1 (908-534-4000)
Sussex: August 27-29 (201-875-0783 and 201-875-7337)

NEW YORK
--------
Coney Island: Thunderbirds, May 29
Elmira: Blue Angels, July 3-4
Geneseo: August 20-22 (716-385-2390)
Rochester: Thunderbirds, May 16 (716-243-2255)

PENNSYLVANIA
------------
Erie: July 17-18 (814-833-7343)
Franklin: June 26-27 (814-432-5333)
Latrobe: Golden Knights, May 8-9
Mifflintown: June 27 (717-436-6036)
Quakertown: June 4-6 (215-997-9519 or 215-538-3055)
Reading: August 28-29 (215-372-4666)
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton IAP: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, August 21-22

RHODE ISLAND
------------
North Kingstown: Golden Knights, May 29-30; Thunderbirds,  May 30
  (401-888-1420)

VERMONT
-------
Burlington: Golden Knights, September 18-19

VIRGINIA
--------
Langley AFB: August 7
Manassas: September 18-19 (703-631-2423)
NAS Norfolk: April 25 and 26
NAS Oceana: Blue Angels, September 11-12 (804-433-2818)
Norfolk Harborfest: June 4-6 (804-627-5329)
Richmond: May 22-23

WEST VIRGINIA
-------------
Huntington: Golden Knights, May 15-16 (614-532-0435)

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Apr 1993 16:43:29 EDT
From:    Michael Cotter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: U.S. Army in WWII

Bob, The GPO issues a microfiche listing of documents in print that are for
sale, called Publications Reference File (PRF).  You can search it by title
(in this case, United States Army in World War II) to find the volumes that
are still available from GPO.  Your local depository library should have a
set of the PRF, for I think that it is sent to all depositories. If not,
write to the GPO (c/o Superintendent of Documents, Washington DC 20402, or call
202/512-2457 and ask for Subject Bibliography 098, Military History).  About
80 titles are still in print; in spot-checking them, I see some publication
dates from the 1950s.   Hope this helps.

Michael Cotter
Documents Librarian
Joyner Library
East Carolina University
Greenville NC 27858
919/757-6533

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Apr 1993 17:53:42 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: U.S. Army in WWII

>
>Bob, The GPO issues a microfiche listing of documents in print that are for
>sale, called Publications Reference File (PRF).  You can search it by title
>(in this case, United States Army in World War II) to find the volumes that
>are still available from GPO.  Your local depository library should have a
>set of the PRF, for I think that it is sent to all depositories. If not,
>write to the GPO (c/o Superintendent of Documents, Washington DC 20402, or call
>202/512-2457 and ask for Subject Bibliography 098, Military History).  About
>80 titles are still in print; in spot-checking them, I see some publication
>dates from the 1950s.   Hope this helps.

  The whole thing is also available on CD-ROM in searchable format.  We got
a set a Purdue as well as a CD for all Congressional Hearings from 179X to
1969 (the 25 year rule kicks in some where around there.) This is an listing
of the hearing and a synopsis of the content of the hearing.  That one is
published by a private company, so I won't be posting the really good ones
to "byrd", sorry.

> Michael Cotter
> Documents Librarian
> Joyner Library
> East Carolina University
> Greenville NC 27858
> 919/757-6533

Larry J

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 14 Apr 1993 to 15 Apr 1993
*************************************************