Subject: WWII-L Digest - <first ever> to 6 Apr 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1993 00:03:05 -0400

There are 7 messages totalling 622 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 1 APR 43
  2. USAAF 2 APR 43 (2)
  3. USAAF 3 APR 43
  4. USAAF 4 APR 43
  5. USAAF 5 APR 43
  6. USAAF 6 APR 43

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 6 Apr 1993 18:45:58 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 1 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 1 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)
  Zeke, Mitsubishi A6M, Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS
  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    A joint directive by Commander-in-Chief, Pacific and Commanding General
Western Defense Command orders preparations for Operation LANDGRAB, the
invasion of Attu Island.
  In the Aleutians, 16 B-24, 5 B-25, and 12 P-38 sorties are flown against
Kiska Island from Adak and Amchitka Islands. Targets include a ship in
Gertrude Cove, the North Head area, the Main Camp and the beach. AA fire
damages 2 bombers. Reconnaissance covers Kiska, Attu, Buldir, and Semichis
Islands.
    During April, the 73d Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 28th Composite
Group with B-25's transfers from Elmendorf Field, Anchorage, Alaska to
Umnak Island.

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force)
    The 3d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 6th Bombardment Group (Heavy) with
B-24's transfers from David, Panama to Talara, Peru.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Tenth Air Force)

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 16 B-25's bomb the Maymyo railroad sheds. Eight others hit
the railroad yards at Ywatsung.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    In China, a Japanese force of 9 fighters is intercepted in the Lingling
area by P-40's. We claim 7 fighters shot down; we lose 1 P-40.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  The 83d and 84th Fighter Squadron, 78th Fighter Group with P-47C's
transfer from Goxhill, England to Duxford, England.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, P-40's escort bomber missions. Medium and light bombers hit
parked airplanes and AA batteries at El Maou Airfield at Sfax.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Tunisia during the night of 31 Mar/1 Apr, RAF Wellingtons bomb the
Bizerte docks and Karouba Bay seaplane base. During the day, A-20's bomb La
Fauconnerie and El Djem Airfields. Fighters, carrying out reconnaissance
missions over wide areas of Tunisia, attack motor  transport, tanks, and
guns in the Sidi Mansour-Djebel Tebaga areas. British medium and light
bombers, and fighters hit gun positions N of Oued el Akarit and hit
the Sfax-El Maou Airfield.
    The 17th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 27th Bombardment Group (Light)
with A-20's transfers from Nouvion, Algeria to Ras El Ma, French Morocco.
    The 96th Fighter Squadron, 92d Fighter Group with P-38's transfers from
Telergma, Algeria to Berteaux, Algeria.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, 42 fighters (P-38's and Navy and Marine aircraft) are
sent over the Russell Islands to intercept Japanese aircraft trying to hit
US stockpiles on Guadalcanal, the naval base at Tulagi, and the incomplete
airstrips in the Russells. The air battle lasts for nearly 3 hours. Six US
fighters are lost, against claims of 20 Japanese airplanes destroyed.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-17's attack a convoy off Kavieng, and
airfields at Gasmata and Cape Gloucester.
  In New Guinea, B-17's attack the town of Madang.
  Flights of from l to 3 medium or heavy bombers hit several other targets,
mostly isolated shipping and coastline targets in the Netherlands East
Indies and in the Solomon Sea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 6 Apr 1993 18:46:01 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 2 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 3 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
B-26, Martin Marauder
C-47, Douglas Skytrain
C-53, Douglas Skytrooper
DB-7, Douglas Boston Mk III
F-4, Lockheed Lightning
F-5, Lockheed Lightning
LB-30, Consolidated Liberator
OA-10, Consolidated Catalina
Oscar, Nakajima Ki-43, Army Type 1 Fighter Hayabusa
P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
P-400, Bell Airacobra
Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine
Val, Aichi D3A, Navy Type 99 Carrier Bomber
Zeke, Mitsubishi A6M, Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 17 B-25's, operating in 2 forces, bomb the Myitnge bridge,
scoreing hits on both approaches.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  HQ, 78th Fighter Group transfers from Goxhill, England to Duxford,
England.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, B-25's the bomb Sfax-El Maou area during the night of 2/3
Apr. P-40's fly fighter-bomber missions N of Gabes.
    HQ, 12th Bombardment Group (Medium) and it's 434th Bombardment Squadron
(Medium) with B-25's transfer from El Assa, Libya to Medenine, Tunisia.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    Weather cancels Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF)
bomber operations.
    In Tunisia, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters
strafe tanks and trucks at Kebira and Jabal Nasir Allah, and claim 14
aircraft downed in aerial combat over Djebel Berda. B-25's bomb the
airfield at Sainte-Marie du Zit. Western Desert Air Force (WDAF) light
bombers hit motor transport and gun ositions N of Oued el Akarit.
    HQ, 81st Fighter Group and its 93d Fighter Squadron with P-39's
transfer from Thelepte, Tunisia to Bone, Algeria to patrol the coast of
Africa and protect Allied shipping in the Mediterranean.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, A-20's hit Kitchen Creek while single B-24's bomb
Korindindi.
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-17's pound shipping and the airfield at
Kavieng while single B-24's bomb Kavieng.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 6 Apr 1993 18:46:04 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 2 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 2 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  Liberator, Consolidated (RAF)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, 18 B-24's bomb Kiska targets including North Head. Six
B-25's, 16 P-38's, and 24 P-40's in 6 missions from Amchitka to Kiska, bomb
the Main Camp and submarine base areas. Four B-24's bomb the runway at
Attu. All aircraft, including 2 B-25's colliding in the air, return safely.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 8 B-25's hit the Thazi railroad junction.
    A detachment of the 25th Fighter Squadron, 51st Fighter Group with
P-40's which has been operating from Sadiya, India since Nov 42 transfers
to Jorhat, India.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy during the night of 1/2 Apr, RAF Liberators, under the
operational control of the IX Bomber Command, bomb the ferry terminal at
Messina and the airfield at Crotone. During the day, 2 B-24's on a special
mission bomb the ferry terminals at Messina and Villa San Giovanni;
27 B-24's sent against Naples find the target totally obscured by clouds; 9
bomb the area through overcast and 3 bomb Augusta and Crotone.
    In Sicily, 24 B-24's sent to attack Palermo abort because of heavy
clouds over the target.
    In Tunisia, P-40's fly 9 armored reconnaissance and 6 fighter-bomber
and escort missions.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Tunisia, B-25's and A-20's bomb the airfield at La Fauconnerie.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, P-38's and P-40's attack and set fire to a small cargo
vessel in Kokolope Bay.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, A-20's hit the Kitchen Creek area and the Labiabi-Duali
area.  Single B-24's attack Salamaua, Finschhafen and the bridge at Rempi.
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, single B-24's hit the airfields at Gasmata
and Cape Gloucester.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 6 Apr 1993 18:46:09 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 3 APR 43

PLEASE EXCUSE THE EARLIER SCREWUP!!

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 3 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 17 B-25's, operating in 2 forces, bomb the Myitnge bridge,
scoring hits on both approaches.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  HQ, 78th Fighter Group transfers from Goxhill, England to Duxford,
England.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, B-25's the bomb Sfax-El Maou area during the night of 2/3
Apr. P-40's fly fighter-bomber missions N of Gabes.
    HQ, 12th Bombardment Group (Medium) and it's 434th Bombardment Squadron
(Medium) with B-25's transfer from El Assa, Libya to Medenine, Tunisia.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    Weather cancels Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF)
bomber operations.
    In Tunisia, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters
strafe tanks and trucks at Kebira and Jabal Nasir Allah, and claim 14
aircraft downed in aerial combat over Djebel Berda. B-25's bomb the
airfield at Sainte-Marie du Zit. Western Desert Air Force (WDAF) light
bombers hit motor transport and gun positions N of Oued el Akarit.
    HQ, 81st Fighter Group and its 93d Fighter Squadron with P-39's
transfer from Thelepte, Tunisia to Bone, Algeria to patrol the coast of
Africa and protect Allied shipping in the Mediterranean.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, A-20's hit Kitchen Creek while single B-24's bomb
Korindindi.
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-17's pound shipping and the airfield at
Kavieng while single B-24's bomb Kavieng.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 6 Apr 1993 18:46:12 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 4 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SUNDAY, 4 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  Liberator, Consolidated (RAF)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 8 B-25's hit the Maymyo engine sheds. Nine others bomb the
Pyawbwe railroad yards. Seven B-24's heavily damage the Thilawa oil
refinery.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Bomber Command Mission 49: 97 B-17's of the 1st Bombardment Wing are
dispatched against industrial installations in the Paris, France area
including the Renault armament works and motor works.  85 aircraft drop 251
tons of bombs on the target between 1414 and 1417 local and cause severe
damage.  We claim 47-13-6 Luftwaffe aircraft; we lose 4 B-17s and 16 others
are damaged by fierce fighter opposition. Casualties are 6 WIA and 39 MIA.
  The 13th Photographic Squadron (Light) flew 3 F-5 sorties in Belgium and
France; 1 F-5 is missing.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy, B-24's attack Naples, concentrating on the dock area.
    In Sicily, RAF Liberators, under operational control of the IX Bomber
Command, bomb Palermo.
    The 83d Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 12th Bombardment Group (Medium)
with B-25's transfers from El Assa, Libya to Medenine, Tunisia.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Italy, B-25's bomb small shipping at Carloforte on San Pietro
Island. B-17's hit Capodichino Airfield and the marshalling yards at
Naples.
    In Tunisia, P-38's dive-bomb a beached freighter off Cape Zebib. Other
P-38's escort the bombing raids. Northwest African Tactical Air Force
(NATAF) A-20's hit La Fauconnerie Airfield while B-25's hit El Djem and
Sainte-Marie du Zit airfields. Fighters accompany light and medium bombers
on attacks, and carry out numerous patrols, reconnaissance flights, and
fighter sweeps over the battle areas of Tunisia.
    The 16th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 27th Bombardment Group (Light)
with A-20's transfers from Nouvion, Algeria to Ras el Ma, French Morocco.
    The 111th Observation Squadron, 68th Observation Group with A-20's and
P-39's transfers from Oujda, French Morocco to Guercif, French Morocco.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  Vice Admiral Marc A. Mitscher assumes the position of Commander Air
Solomons (COMAIRSOL) which has operational control of all Royal New Zealand
Air Force (RNZAF), USAAF, USMC and USN aircraft in the South Pacific.
  A detachment of the 18th Photographic Squadron (Heavy), 4th Photographic
Group with B-25's begins operating from Espiritu Santo.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-25's and A-20's pound areas along the Huon Gulf, around
Kitchen Creek and the Heaths and Lane Plantations. Single B-17's bomb
Salamaua.
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-17's bomb the town area and airfield at
Kavieng. Single B-17's bomb Cape Gloucester.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 6 Apr 1993 18:46:14 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 5 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 5 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, reconnaissance covers all islands W of Kiska with
negative results. 16 B-24's and 6 B-25's bomb the Attu runway and Kiska's
Main Camp and runway. 4 P-38's fly top cover. Later, 3 B-25's, 16 P-4O's,
and 16 P-38's bomb Kiska again.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 17 B-25's bomb railroad targets at Mandalay; 2 others hit
Ngamya. Three B-24's bomb the Prome railroad yards; 5 hit the Mahlwagon
yards and roundhouse. 12 P-40's and a B-25 support ground forces in N
Burma.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    In Burma, P-40's on armored reconnaissance strafe 15 horse-drawn wagons
at Wanling.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Bomber Command Mission 50: 104 B-17's of the 1st Bombardment Wing
are dispatched against industrial targets in the Antwerp, Belgium area.
The main force is directed at the Erla aircraft factory and Erla engine
works.  82 B-17's drop 245.5 tons of bombs at 1530 hours local.  We claim
23-8-4 Luftwaffe aircraft; we lose 4 to strong Luftwaffe fighter
opposition; 13 aircraft are damaged.  Casualties are 3 WIA and 40 MIA.
  HQ 56th Fighter Group and it's 61st, 62d and 63d Fighter Squadrons with
P-47C's transfer from Horsham St Faith, England to Halesworth, England.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily during the night of 4/5 Apr, Northwest African Strategic Air
Force (NASAF) Wellingtons bomb the Trapani docks and shipping. During the
day, B-17's bomb the airfields at Boccadifalco and Milo.
    In Tunisia, B-17's bomb airfields at Sidi Ahmed and Tunis. B-25's hit
the airfield at Bo Rizzo and attack a convoy off Cap Bon. P-38's fly several
fighter sweeps over the Straits of Sicily. One force of fighters claims 16
airplanes destroyed. Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) A-20's
hit the Airfield at El Djem and La Fauconnerie. Fighters attack E-boats
off Pont-du-Fahs and vehicles S of Bou Hamran, and fly sweeps,
reconnaissance, and patrol over the battle area in Tunisia. Western Desert
Air Force (WDAF) and Northwest African Coastal Air Force (NACAF) aircraft hit
motor transport W of Cekhira, bomb Djebel Zitouna Airfield, and strike
shipping in the Straits of Sicily. During the day Northwest African Air
Force (NAAF) aircraft claim destruction of nearly 50 aircraft in aerial
combat. Today starts Operations FLAX (5-22 Apr) which is designed to
destroy, in the air and on the ground, enemy air transports and escorts
employed in ferrying personnel and supplies to Tunisia.
    HQ 325th Fighter Group transfers from Tafaraoui, Algeria to
Montesquieu, Algeria.
    The 84th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 47th Bombardment Group (Light)
with A-20's transfers from Canrobert, Algeria to Thelepte, Tunisia.
    The 91st and 93d Fighter Squadrons, 81st Fighter Group with P-39's
transfer from Thelepte, Tunisia to Bone, Algeria.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, single B-17's attack occupied areas at several points
along the Huon Gulf coast, hit Finschaffen on the Huon Peninsula, bomb
Madang and other points on the N coast of New Guinea and hit Cape
Gloucester on New Britain Island in the Bismarck Archipelago.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 6 Apr 1993 18:46:28 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 6 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 6 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  Liberator, Consolidated (RAF)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  The 333d Fighter Squadron, 318th Fighter Group with P-39's transfers from
Canton Island to Hilo, Territory of Hawaii.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 6 B-24's attack Pazundaung bridge, damaging the S approach.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, B-24's hit the ferry and slips at Messina harbor.
    In Italy, RAF Liberators, under IX Bomber Command control, bomb the
Naples area and rail facilities in Messina, Sicily.
    In Tunisia, B-25's fly 2 missions against concentrations in the Oued el
Akarit region, scoring hits on buildings, tanks, and numerous vehicles.
P-40's fly escort, fighter sweep, and strafing operations, attacking guns,
vehicles and personnel as the British Eighth Army begin their assault on
Oued el Akarit from which the enemy begins withdrawing during the night.
    HQ 376th Bombardment Group (Heavy) and it"s 514th Bombardment Squadron
(Heavy) with B-24's transfer from Soluch, Libya to Bengasi, Libya.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily, B-17's bomb the docks and ships at Trapani.
    In Tunisia during the night of 5/6 April, Wellingtons bomb the dock and
shipping at Tunis. During the day, B-25's and P-38's attack shipping in the
Straits of Sicily. Two forces of B-17's bomb a convoy further W, near
Zembra Island and hit a convoy off Bizerte. B-25's and A-20's attack
landing grounds and airfields at Enfidaville, La Fauconnerie, and El Djem.
La Fauconnerie bears the brunt of the attacks and is well covered. Fighters
escort the bombing raids, fly reconnaissance missions, and attack scattered
enemy movement.
    HQ 27th Bombardment Group (Light) and it's 91st Bombardment Squadron
(Light) with A-20's transfer from Nouvion, Algeria to Ras el Ma, French
Morocco.
    The 92d Fighter Squadron, 81st Fighter Group with P-39's transfers from
Youks-les-Bains, Algeria to Maison Blanche, Algeria.
    The 154th Observation Squadron, 68th Observation Group with P-39's and
P-51's transfers from Thelepte, Tunisia to Sbeitla, Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  The 70th Fighter Squadron, 18th Fighter Group based on Fiji but operating
from Guadalcanal with P-39's, transfers to Guadalcanal.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER F OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-25's bomb the town area and AA positions at Salamaua.
Single B-17's bomb Finschhafen.
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, single B-17's bomb Gasmata while another
strafes Cape Gloucester.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air
Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945
by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN
1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

 6 April

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - <first ever> to 6 Apr 1993
*************************************************