Subject: WWII-L Digest - 29 Apr 1993 to 30 Apr 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1993 00:00:11 -0400

There are 2 messages totalling 147 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. HUERTGEN FOREST AND BOOK
  2. USAAF 30 APR 43

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Apr 1993 07:44:20 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: HUERTGEN FOREST AND BOOK

  Oslo, April 30.
  FOR ROB RUSH
  Thanks for your message.  I take it you were commenting on my IHT article
and have not seen my flyer about my book.
  You were close.  I was a liaison officer from the 29th FA Battalion to
the First Battalion of the 8th Regiment during Huertgen.  Hence I had
it a bit easier than the forward observers, who went with the companies.
Through some miracle, none of those working for me was ever killed or
wounded.  One of them today, however, bears some deep pyschological
scars.  When I tried to get him to comment on one of the chapters of my
book, he told me that he could not bring himself to talk about the war,
because it brought back too many painful memories.  This is a pity,
since he and I had some good times also, chasing nurses.  (In the book,
I reprint a long letter to my parents, describing one such episode.)

  How did you happen to write a thesis on the 22nd?  The casualty
figures you quote were similar for all three regiments in the division.
(I have always been grateful to the corporal who ignored my (dumb)
request to be assigned to the infantry when I enlisted and instead
put me in the artillery.)

  My book is now available, and I would be happy to send you a copy.
Here is the portion of the flyer related to ordering:

  PRICE
  $25 plus shipping.  In Europe, surface mail is $5 and airmail $10.
Outside Europe, surface mail is $10 and airmail $17.

  HOW TO GET
  You can buy this book with a dollar check drawn on an American bank.
My mailing address is: John C. Ausland, Sondreveien 4 Entry 2, 0378
Oslo, Norway.

  Or you can use a Visa card.  In this case, I would need
your card number and expiry date.  Also, how you want the book(s)
shipped.

  If you wish to order by EMAIL, you should send a message to one
of the following addresses:
  Internet: [email-masked]     Compuserve: 73240,2704

  There are other ways of paying, depending on where you are and
what your options are. We could discuss these by EMAIL.

  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Apr 1993 07:18:03 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 30 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 30 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  Bf 109, Messerschmitt
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

 ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutians, 4 B-25's, 17 P-38's, and 7 P-40's fly 4 missions to
Kiska. Only the P-38's get through and blast Gertrude Cove, Main Camp, the
submarine base and a ship.

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force)
    The XXXVI Fighter Command, based at Waller Field, Trinidad is
disbanded.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 16 B-25's pound the Gokteik Viaduct, damaging the N end.
Four others bomb the Maymyo railroad yards. Five B-24's bomb the Sule
Pagoda wharves at Rangoon. Four P-40's and a B-25 hit Mohnyin, while 6
P-4O's attack a camp S of Weshi.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy, B-24's attack the Messina ferry; bombs hit the target area
and nearby marshalling yard and the city area.
    In the Mediterranean, P-4O's fly fighter-bomber missions against
shipping with excellent results, claiming 1 destroyer and 3 other vessels
sunk, and 2 destroyers and 2 boats damaged. Fighters claim 5 Bf 109's
shotdown; 3 P-40's are lost.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Tunisia, Northwest Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-26's and P-38's hit
shipping off Tunisia while B-26's strike shipping near Cap Bon and the
Tunis-Medjez el Bab highway. Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF)
fighters, A-20's, and medium bombers, hit positions near Mateur, Bir
Meherga, and Ksar Tyr, concentrations near Furna, shipping in the Gulf of
Tunis and near Cap Bon, and attack isolated vehicles and troops along the
battleline as the US II Corps makes substantial gains in the Jefna area.
    The 97th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 47th Bombardment Group (Light)
with A-20's transfers from Thelepte, Tunisia to Souk-el-Arba, Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, 5 B-17's bomb a bivouac area and revetments at Kahili
Airfield.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, single B-24's bomb Lae and airfields at Cape
Gloucester and Gasmata.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air
Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945
by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN
1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 29 Apr 1993 to 30 Apr 1993
*************************************************