Subject: WWII-L Digest - 19 Apr 1993 to 20 Apr 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1993 00:00:51 -0400

There are 19 messages totalling 1082 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. HUERTGEN FOREST
  2. USAAF 20 APR 43
  3. Terms with Hitler (2)
  4. U505 & radio intercepts (2)
  5. Dispatch from OKW (2)
  6. MEMOIRS
  7. IRELAND (3)
  8. ARTICLE IN INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE
  9. John Ausland's Memoirs (3)
 10. Recent acquisitions on byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (fwd)
 11. Full INDEX of byrd.mu.wvnet.edu
 12. BOOK

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 00:06:27 +0000
From:    Jim Budler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HUERTGEN FOREST

>  Oslo, April 19.  There have been two messages about the Huertgen
>Forest, one from Mike Seningen and the other from Richard King.  My
>interest springs from having been there with the 4th Infantry Division,
>having just published my memoirs about my experiences during World
>War II, including a chapter on the Huertgen, and having just
>revisited the Huertgen.
[...]
>  Regards, John Ausland

You've published your memoirs, and I'm curious why you succeeded in this.
Were you a major policy maker at the time, or were your experiences
particularly well articulated and interesting?

Thousands of veterans have attempted to publish their memories of the war
and relatively few succeeded.

Can you tell us why you succeeded? And will your memoir be available in the US?

jim

--
jim budler
[email-masked]
also [email-masked], [email-masked], and [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 07:17:42 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 20 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 20 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-18, Douglas Bolo
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutians, 10 bombing and strafing missions by 15 B-24's, 16
B-25's, 10 P-38's, and 32 P-40's hit shipping in the harbor at Kiska and
gun positions in North Head. Other targets include buildings in the Main
Camp area and the runway.

  CARIBBEAN (AAF Antisubmarine Command)
    The 7th Antisubmarine Squadron (Heavy), 26th Antisubmarine Wing based
at Jacksonville, Florida with B-18's begins operating from Edinburgh
Field, Trinidad.

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  In the Gilberts, 22 B-24's, from Funafuti, carry out a photo-bombing
mission over Nauru. Several direct hits on runways and the dispersal areas
are claimed.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 8 B-25's bomb the engine sheds at Thazai.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, P-40's fly sweeps, reconnaissance, and fighter-bomber
missions as British ground forces take Enfidaville E and push N. Forces on
the left are checked by stubborn enemy resistance at Djebel Garci.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Tunisia, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's and
B-25's bomb the landing grounds of Mabtouha, La Marsa, La Sebala, Sidi
Ahmed, Creteville, and near Protville. Northwest African Tactical Air
Force (NATAF) fighters fly escort, carry out reconnaissance, and attack
various Tunisian airfields. The Northwest African Coastal Air Force
(NACAF) continues sea patrols and reconnaissance as far-reaching as the
approaches to Naples, Italy.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-17's bomb Wewak, Nubia, and Boram Airfields and
shipping off Wewak. B-24's bomb Kaimana and targets of opportunity on
Kendari Island in the Celebes.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 08:14:15 -0400
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Terms with Hitler

> IRT the railway car in which WW I was ended, I had always understood
> that it was transported to a museum in Munich and later destroyed
> in an allied bombing attack.  It would be interesting to find
> out wht really happened to it.
>
> Dale Lally
> St. Lawrence University
> Canton NY
> dlally@stlawu

I am pretty sure I have seen old newsreel footage showing it being blown up
soon after the French surrender in 1940.

Bob Smart ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 08:25:12 -0400
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U505 & radio intercepts

> IRT the capture of U 505 and the ENIGMA machine, I understand that the
> Germans always assumed that such a machine would fall into enemy hands.
> However, since they regularly changed cipher keys, they assumed that
> all info gained via a captured machine would be stale before it would
> ever be decripted.  However, (ta daa) the big computers installed at
> Bletchly Park and in the US were able to crack the German ciphers
> within hours rather than the days or months that the Germans were
> counting on.  I think the biggest problem for our side was in believing
> that the traffic they were getting was really genuine.
>
> Dale Lally  CAPT/USNR
> dlally@stlawu

I recently pulled out Van der Vats _Atlantic Campaign_ and started reading it
again. I looked up U-505 and in his short section about this incident he said
that the one real advantage to the capture was that it showed the allies that
they really were reading messages with the close to the sameaccuracy as the
German U-boats were.

Recently someone was looking for 'post Ultra' histories of WW2 campaigns.
Van der Vat wrote his book with access to the declassified Ultra information.

I'm not ready to make any claims for the book yet but I'll let everyone know
how it turns out. ( I'm looking for a surprise ending :-))

Bob Smart ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 08:35:08 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Dispatch from OKW

> C. Navy:
>
> The Navy's role against Soviet Russia is, while safeguarding our
> own coast, to prevent an escape of enemy naval units from the
> Baltic Sea.  As the Russian Baltic Sea Fleet, once we have
> reached Leningrad, will be deprived of its last base and will
> then be in a hopeless situation,

  Did AH really expect the Russian Navy to evaporate?  What was the
situation of the Red Fleet at this time?  Did they suffer from the
Purges as much as the Army did?  I know the Kreigsmarine was rather
bottled up in the Baltic so the surface units didn't have much else
to do, but was it really as one-sided as he makes it sound?

> any larger naval operations are
> to be avoided before that time.

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 09:54:59 -0400
From:    Frode Weierud <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U505 & radio intercepts

> I recently pulled out Van der Vats _Atlantic Campaign_ and started reading it
> again. I looked up U-505 and in his short section about this incident he said
> that the one real advantage to the capture was that it showed the allies that
> they really were reading messages with the close to the sameaccuracy as the
> German U-boats were.

> Recently someone was looking for 'post Ultra' histories of WW2 campaigns.
> Van der Vat wrote his book with access to the declassified Ultra information.

> I'm not ready to make any claims for the book yet but I'll let everyone know
> how it turns out. ( I'm looking for a surprise ending :-))

> Bob Smart ([email-masked])

The item of greatest value in the U-505 capture was the Adressbuch
which was used by the German Navy to encrypt Naval Grid references.
Even if the US and British cryptographers  were able to break Naval
Enigma messages with relative ease during this periode, they were often
confused about the exact locations due to this encryption of Grid
references.

Another valuable item was a few documents refering to the experimental
burst communication system Kurier that the German Naval Communication
Division were trying out during this time. This forewarning made it
possible for the signal intelligence groups to get accustomed with this
new technique and to allow for equipment and routines to be developed
in time. Kurier was used by a few U-boats by the end of the war, but
the war was over before a full deployment could be made.

**************************************************************************
*       Frode Weierud           Phone   :       41 22 7674794            *
*       CERN, SL                Fax     :       41 22 7823676            *
*       CH-1211 Geneva  23      E-mail  :       [email-masked]     *
*       Switzerland                        or   [email-masked]   *
**************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 11:00:44 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Dispatch from OKW

>   Did AH really expect the Russian Navy to evaporate?  What was the
> situation of the Red Fleet at this time?  Did they suffer from the
> Purges as much as the Army did?

I believe so.  But more to the point, they had never received the funding
or attention of the Red Army.  As a result, they were mostly equipped with
obsolete vessels, and lacking a strong naval tradition ala Britain or
Japan, were third-rate sailors.

That's not to say that they were worthless.  Their submarines, in
particular, contributed to the war efforts, and fleets in both seas added
their strength to shore bombardments, amphibious ops, evacuations, and
supply missions.

> I know the Kreigsmarine was rather
> bottled up in the Baltic so the surface units didn't have much else
> to do, but was it really as one-sided as he makes it sound?

Consider the plight of *any* navy operating in the Baltic without a
friendly port.  Enemy aircraft will be operating from the entire coastline,
sans Sweden.  Ditto torpedo boats, and being a shallow sea, mines are a
constant threat.  If any friendly airpower is available, it will be
operating at long range, and only after penetrating German airspace.

Next, there's the issue of morale, which is tied to the mission.  What's
the fleet going to do?  It can't stay in the Baltic (no bases).  You might
try for Murmansk, probably via Britain, which of course means sailing
through the very heart of German strength.  It makes the Channel Dash look
easy. (Imagine passing the straits at Copenhagen.)

The value of succeeding is also pretty low.  If you make Murmansk, you'll
just spend the rest of the war escorting Allied convoys.  (Think like
Stalin... let the USA and UK escort the convoys, they're their ships!)
The Turks probably won't let you into the Black Sea, where you're really
needed.  Vladivostok, perhaps, to deter the Japanese fleet; on the other
hand, that might *provoke* an attack.

So perhaps another mission.  A suicide run on German shipbuilding
facilities?  Or to block the Kiel Canal?  Very appealing to Stalin,
perhaps, but the sailors aren't going to go for it.

IMO, the most likely fate of the Red Fleet upon the fall of Leningrad would
be scuttling as blockships, to render Kronstadt harbor unusable.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
Quality Engineer            Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 17:32:38 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEMOIRS

Jim Budler sent the following message:
You've published your memoirs, and I'm curious why you succeeded in this.
Were you a major policy maker at the time, or were your experiences
particularly well articulated and interesting?

Thousands of veterans have attempted to publish their memories of the war
and relatively few succeeded.

Can you tell us why you succeeded? And will your memoir be available in the US?
END

I have published my memoirs myself, under the title LETTERS HOME: A WAR
MEMOIR.  The point of departure was the flood of letters I sent to my parents.
I have used those from January, 1944, when I arrived in England, until
September, 1945, when I returned home.  In between, came amphibious train-
ing in England, landing on Utah Beach on D-Day, the liberation of Paris,
winter on the Siegfried Line, the Battle of the Bulge, and the final
offensive to Munich.  In addition to the letters, I used my memory, backed
by considerable research, including in the National Archives.

I have produced the book in camera ready copy with my trusty computer and
laser printer.  A printing company did the picture scanning, the printing,
and the binding.

This has been a highly satisfactory experience.

My book is now on sale here in Norway in bookstores, and I am trying to
make arrangements to market it in England and Germany.  If anyone has
suggestions on this, I would welcome them.  What I want is some organiza-
tion to which I can ship a number of books and will then take on
marketing them.  (I have written to AFTER THE BATTLE in London and
Collectiana at the Wehrtechnischen Museum in Koblenz.)

I am not yet ready to take on the US market but hope to in another couple
months, after the sales on this side of the water peters out.

Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 16:25:34 GMT
From:    Stephen Casey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: IRELAND

Greetings from the one member of the list in Ireland.

I personally don't have any information on the US planes which came down in
Ireland during the war, but if you write to

                            Military Archives,
                            Cathal Brugha Barracks,
                            Rathmines,
                            Dublin 6.

or telephone Dublin 975782 they can give you the details of all crashed planes.

All I can tell you about the fliers were that they (both German and Allied)
were interned in a Military Camp on the Curragh, and were allowed out on
parole on alternate weekends. (the Germans were released one weekend, the
Allies the next). During the period, only one pilot, an American, broke
parole and absconded. When he arrived in Belfast, the British sent him back to
the Republic. Towards the end of the War, the Allied fliers were all released
and sent back to England.

                         Stephen Casey.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 17:37:27 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: ARTICLE IN INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE

This the original text of my April 2 IHT article, published under the
headline HERE'S TO ALL MY PEN PALS, COMPUTERIZED AND HUMAN
BEGIN TEXT
Oslo.  There is a new and growing community in the world which knows no
borders.  The members of this group dedicate time most days to helping
each other.  For this, they get no pay, only an occasional thanks.  Few of
them have ever met.
     The members of this mutual help society will know I am talking about
them.  Most others will not even know it exists.  Yet it is no secret.  It
has just developed so quickly and quietly that most people have never
heard of it.
     I am talking about those of us who use our computers to
communicate with each other.  This is made possible by a modem, a clever
device which permits computers to send data over telephone lines.
     There are a number of services available.  I happen to favor
Compuserve, which has its headquarters in Ohio but operates on a global
basis.  I also make extensive use of Internet, a world-wide academic and
research network.  Using these, I can exchange private messages with
millions of other users, as well as participate in conferences.
     Compuserve's 360 page almanac lists well over a hundred forums,
where you can find almost any subject your heart desires.  There you will
find kindred souls, who will be happy to exchange views or give advice.
(A recent addition is a forum run by the Clinton White House, which offers
official texts as well as a place to blow off steam.)
     You can also use Compuserve and Internet to get information which
is otherwise not readily available.  (One of the misplaced fears of electronic
data bases concerns information overload.  This is like refusing to use a
library because it has so many books.  Obviously, one must find a suitable
data base and then know what you are looking for.)
     I can perhaps best illustrate all this by showing you how I have used
these services in connection with a book I have recently published about
my experiences during World War II, Letters Home: a war memoir.
     In doing research for the book, I needed bibliographies about the
battles in which I was involved.  Using an electronic address provided on
an Internet conference on World War II, I was able to contact a computer
at the US Army War College, at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania.  When I
wanted, for example, a bibliography about our landing in Normandy, I sent
a request to the War College computer.  Minutes later, with no human
intervention, the computer sent me a bibliography about Operation Overlord.
(As a side benefit, the Army War College subsequently sent me by mail a
four volume study of Operation Overlord which it was using in a study
course.)
     After printing the bibliography, I noted which books seemed most
interesting.  I then logged on to (connected to) the data base for libraries
here in Norway.  Presto.  In a few minutes I had a list of the books which
interested me which are in Norwegian libraries.
     Over the months, I borrowed six volumes from the history of the US
Army in World War II and several books from a twenty-four volume series
containing interviews with the German generals who commanded the units
we fought.  In addition to a number of biographies of allied generals, I
found a book with transcripts of some of Hitler's meetings with his generals,
as well as one with Eisenhower's letters to Marshall.
     On a conference on Internet, I ran into the electronic mail address of
Ted Hull, who works at the National Archives in Washington, DC.  A
message to him put me in touch with the people handling World War II
documents.  During a visit to Washington, I spent time reading and copying
documents related to my unit, the 4th Infantry Division.
     When going over the letters I wrote to my parents, I kept running into
the names Joe Gude and Ralph Thomas, with whom I shared many
experiences.  Wondering what had happened to them after the war, I logged
on to Compuserve's telephone data base, which has about ninety million
telephone numbers.  Within a few minutes I was talking with Joe Gude and
then Ralph Thomas.
     The book was produced with my computer, using Ventura Publisher
software.  It is a fine program, but unfortunately Ventura does not provide
much support in Norway.  No problem.  I joined the Ventura Forum on
Compuserve and corresponded directly with their experts in the US.
     The people who use the Desktop Publishing Forum were also of great
help.  I developed a lengthy correspondence with Martha LaFleur, of
Lafayette, Louisiana.  She makes a living with her computer but spent quite
a bit of time helping me solve some intricate problems.
     The advice I sought was not just related to using my computer.
Users of the Work Forum had a number of suggestions regarding how to
go about marketing my book.  For example, I learned there is an
organization in the US, Quality Books Inc., which specializes in selling
books to libraries.
     As I was completing the book, a question arose in my mind as to
whether a few things I was saying about other officers might be considered
libelous.  I joined the Law Forum on Compuserve and was soon exchanging
messages with a lawyer with offices in New York.  He guided me through
the mysteries of libel and then reviewed my revised draft.  For this there
was no charge.  Hopefully, if he decides someday to visit Norway, he will
ask me for travel advice.
     As my book progressed, I felt the need to know more about the
German point of view regarding the war.  A German electronic pen pal
whom I have yet to meet, Dr. Werner Klotzbuecher, kindly agreed to read
a draft.  He is well informed about the war, and we exchanged a number
of messages about some of my more controversial statements.
     I will not say that I would not have been able to write the book
without the miracle of electronic mail, but it would certainly have been
much more difficult and the product would have been less complete.
END TEXT
John C. Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 13:06:43 EDT
From:    Andree Webb <[email-masked]>
Subject: John Ausland's Memoirs

John,
The clarity of your writing in the IHT article makes me definitely want
to read your memoirs. Be sure to keep us up-to-date with your publishing
efforts. Maybe an enterprising company in Norway could start a mail-order
operation.

Andree Webb
Atlanta

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 12:38:01 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: John Ausland's Memoirs

John, as soon as you can, let us know how we can get a copy of your book.
I'd like one for myself and one for Purdue's library.  Anyone know of
a good mail-order business you can refer to John?

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 13:37:08 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: IRELAND

>
> All I can tell you about the fliers were that they (both German and Allied)
> were interned in a Military Camp on the Curragh, and were allowed out on
> parole on alternate weekends. (the Germans were released one weekend, the
> Allies the next). During the period, only one pilot, an American, broke
> parole and absconded. When he arrived in Belfast, the British sent him back to
> the Republic. Towards the end of the War, the Allied fliers were all released
> and sent back to England.

  Can you give a reference or approximate date for this.  I'd like to see
if the U.S. newspapers followed this story and how they reacted.  Interesting
situation.  I'm suprised that only one parolee bolted.  I personally find
confinement so *confining* :-).

>                          Stephen Casey.

  Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 20:30:00 +0100
From:    Mike Hoffmann <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: John Ausland's Memoirs

> John, as soon as you can, let us know how we can get a copy of your book.
> I'd like one for myself and one for Purdue's library.  Anyone know of
> a good mail-order business you can refer to John?

I expect the book to be out in Norwegian and English first? As John
has spoken of corresponding with Germans, as well, is there any hope of
a German edition?

Not that I'd have difficulty with the language, but with the ease of getting
a copy. Far simpler (and cheaper) than trying to get an import.

Mike

PS: I'm also a bit confused on the tremendous amount of sources available
to Mr. Ausland. Which of these are available from the Internet - and how
many are still locked from access by non-US citizens. (I've heard this can
happen - I hope I'm mistaken)

--
Mike Hoffmann - Internet Administrator, Siemens-Nixdorf AG, SNI AP 712
INTERNET: [email-masked]
... the space race is over. (Dr. Richard O'Toole, JPL)
... and all contestants quit before reaching the finish-line (me)

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 13:44:41 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Recent acquisitions on byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (fwd)

Here's the latest additions to "byrd" ftp site.  If any of you good people
want any of the files listed here, or in the full index I will post separately
please send me a note.  If there's enough demand, I'll post the files to the
list, otherwise I'll email directly to you.  Only files that fall under the
charter of the list will be posted to the list.

I send the files I digitize to byrd to save traffic on the list, however, if
the list would prefer, I can post new additions that are relevant to the
charter here.  Thoughts?

Larry J

Forwarded message:
>From [email-masked] Tue Apr 20 13:33:51 1993
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1993 14:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael J. McCarthy" <[email-masked]>

        NOTE:  Please note #5 below if you have gotten or intended to get a
copy  the Combat Area Casualties File.

        As always, many thanks to Larry Jewell for his contributions.

-------------
Mike McCarthy                   "It is a principle that shines impartially on
Marshall Univ. History Dept.    the just and on the unjust that once you have
Huntington, WV 25755, USA       a point of view all history will back you up."
[email-masked]               -Van Wyck Brooks
YEA003@MARSHALL                          AMERICA'S COMING OF AGE (1915)

Recent acquisitions on byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152):

1.   The file museums.txt in the pub/history/maritime subdirectory
     contains a listing of Naval and Maritime Museums.

2.   The file u-2.txt in the pub/history/diplomatic/coldwar
     subdirectory contains documents relating to the U-2 Incident
     of May 1960.

3.   The file naval_limit.txt in the pub/history/diplomatic/
     united_states/1921-1939 subdirectory contains documents
     relating to the Naval Limitation Treaty of 6 Feb 1922.

4.   The files in the pub/history/military/united_states/ucmj
     subdirectory contain subchapters 1 through 12 of the US
     Uniform Code of Military Justice.

5.   The Combat Area Casualties Files (in the pub/history/military/
     vietnam/kia_mia subdirectory) have been removed because they
     contained errors and inaccuracies.  When the corrected
     versions of the files are obtained, they will be placed in
     this subdirectory.

6.   The file aef_mia_pow.txt in the pub/history/military/wwi
     subdirectory contains the Senate Report on POW/MIAs in World
     War I.

7.   The file pearl_harbor.txt in the pub/history/military/wwii
     subdirectory contains documents relating to the Japanse attack
     on Pearl Harbor.

8.   The file chrono_1938-41.txt contains a chronology of events
     from 1938 - 1941.

9.   The files in the pub/history/military/wwii/sept_1939
     subdirectory contain documents relating to the reaction of the
     European Powers to the German invasion of Poland on 1
     September 1939.

10.  The file soviet_neut.txt in the pub/history/military/wwii
     subdirectory contains documents relating to the Soviet
     Neutrality Pact with Japan and eventual declaration of war.

11.  The file tripartite.txt in the pub/history/military/wwii
     subdirectory contains documents relating to the Tripartite
     Pact.

12.  The file kennedy.inaug in the pub/history/political/
     united_states/presidency subdirectory contains John F.
     Kennedy's inaugural address.

13.  The file cshw860a.zip in the pub/history/utilities
     subdirectory contains the compressed files of CShow version
     8.60a, a mouse-compatible GIF and JPG viewer for DOS.

14.  The file pkzip204g.exe in the pub/history/utilties
     subdirectory contains the self-extracting compressed files of
     PKZip version 2.04g.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 14:07:20 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Full INDEX of byrd.mu.wvnet.edu

FILE INDEX FOR HISTORY FTP SITE:

BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
129.71.32.152
pub/history

Managers:
Mike McCarthy, Marshall Univ. ([email-masked])
Donna Spindel, Marshall Univ. ([email-masked])

Honorary Manager and Major Contributor:
Larry Jewell ([email-masked])

UPDATE: 20 April 1993

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history:
INDEX               Index of files and directories on
                    byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (this file)
diplomatic          Subdir: diplomatic history
ethnic              Subdir: ethnicity history
general             Subdir: history as a discipline & profession
instruction         Subdir: teaching history (syllabi, exams,
                    etc)
internet            Subdir: use of internet in research
marshall            Subdir: files specific to Marshall Univ.
                    History Dept.
maritime            Subdir: maritime/naval history
military            Subdir: military history
political           Subdir: political / government
submissions         Subdir: submissions from anonymous ftp users
                    (write access to all anonymous ftp)
utilities           Subdir: utility programs (pkunzip, uudecode,
                    cshow, etc.)
women               Subdir: women's history

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/diplomatic:
coldwar             Subdir: Coldwar diplomatic history
united_states       Subdir: US diplomatic history

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/diplomatic/coldwar:
u-2.txt             Documents relating to the U-2 Incident, May
                    1960

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/diplomatic/united_states:
1921-1939           Subdir: Period 1921-1939 (interwar years)
greenville.txt      Text of Treaty of Greenville (1795)
monroe-doctrine.txt Text of Monroe Doctrine
neutral_procl.txt   Text of Neutrality Proclamation (1793)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/diplomatic/united_states/1921-1939:
hemi_def.txt        Text of Dept. of State Bulletin on Hemisphere
                    Defense, 8/18/40
lend-lease.act      Text of Lend Lease Act (1941)
naval_limit.txt     Documents relating to the Naval Limitation
                    Treaty, 6 February 1922
neutrality.act_37   Text of Neutrality Act (1937)
neutrality.act_39   Text of Neutrality Act (1939)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/ethnic:
african-american    Subdir: African-American history
native-american     Subdir: Native-American history

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/ethnic/african-american:
emanc_procl.txt     Text of Emancipation Proclamation (1862)

i-have-a-dream.txt  Test of King's "I Have a Dream" speech (1963)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/ethnic/native-american:
greenville.txt      Text of Treaty of Greenville (1795)
iroquois_const.txt  Text of Iroquois Constitution
iroquois_readme.txt Commentary to accompany Iroqouis Const.

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/general:
chair_newsletter    Subdir: issues of Dept. Chair Newsletter, M.
                    Galgano, ed.
dept_ranks.txt      US News detailed ranking of History Ph.D.
                    depts

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/general/chair_newsletter:
issue31.txt         Text of issue 31

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/instruction:
exams               Subdir: sample history exams
mu_hst500           Subdir: for use by Marshall's methods course
syllabi             Subdir: sample history course syllabi

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/instruction/exams:
us_survey2a.exm     US Survey II (Since 1877) exam (McCarthy)
us_survey2b.exm     US Survey II (Since 1877) exam (McCarthy)
us_survey2c.exm     US Survey II (Since 1877) exam (McCarthy)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/instruction/syllabi:
am_revolution.syl   American Revolution syllabus (Spindel)
marshall            Subdir: Current Marshall Univ. courses
us_legal.syl        United States Legal History syllabus
                    (Spindel)
us_survey1a.syl     US Survey I (To 1877) syllabus (Spindel)
us_survey2a.syl     US Survey II (Since 1877) syllabus (McCarthy)
us_survey2b.syl     US Survey II (Since 1877) syllabus (McCarthy)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/internet:
h-net.lists         BITNET lists of interest to historians
history.network     Charter of History Network
history_ftp         Subdir: FTP sites of interest to historians
inet.services       Catalog of special internet services (Archie,
                    Baseball scores, CARL, etc.)
internet.faq1       Frequently Asked Questions about internet
                    (#1)
internet.faq2       Frequently Asked Questions about internet
                    (#2)
libraries           Subdir: Addresses of TELNET accessible
                    libraries (US & UK)
listserv.database   Instructions for LISTSERVER database searches
whatis.internet     Description of internet and its uses

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/internet/history_ftp:
byrd.catalog        BYRD archive at Marshall Univ.
                    (byrd.mu.wvnet.edu; "cd pub/history")
cpet.catalog        Catalog of Projects in Electronic Text
                    archive at Georgetown Univ.
                    (guvax.georgetown.edu; "cd
                    CPET_PROJECTS_IN_ELECTRONIC_TEXT")
gheta.catalog       Groningen Historical Electronic Text Archive
                    at the Univ. of Groningen (tyr.let.rug.nl;
                    "cd pub/gheta")
malin.catalog       MALIN archive at Univ. Kansas
                    (kuhub.cc.ukans.edu; "cd dua9:[MALIN]")
ra.catalog          RA archive at Mississippi State University
                    (ra.msstate.edu; "cd pub/docs/history")
rutgers.catalog     US Army Air Force archive at Rutgers
                    (ftp.rutgers.edu; "cd pub/wwii/usaf")
sunsite.catalog     Sunsite at Univ. North Carolina
                    (sunsite.unc.edu; "cd pub/academic")

*DIRECOTORY OF pub/history/internet/libraries:
library.catalog     Catalog of US (and some international)
                    TELNET-accessible libraries
uk-libs.catalog     Catalog of TELNET-accessible libraries in the
                    United Kingdom

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/maritime:
museums.txt         Listing of Naval & Maritime Museums

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military:
am_revolution       Subdir: American revolution
united_states       Subdir: US Military History
vietnam             Subdir: Vietnam War
wwi                 Subdir: World War I
wwii                Subdir: World War II

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/am_revolution:
decl_arms.txt       Text of Declaration of Arms (1775)
paris_1783.txt      Text of Treaty of Paris (1783)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/united_states:
ucmj                Subdir: Uniform Code of Military Justice

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/united_states/ucmj:
uc_README           Readme file describing directory contents
(other files)       Text files with subchapters of Uniform Code of
                    Military Justice

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/vietnam:
diem_letters.txt    Letters to Ngo Dinh Diem from Eisenhower
                    (11/15/54) and Kennedy (1/1/62)
kia_mia             Subdir: Combat Area Casualties File Database
pow_mia             Subdir: POW/MIA files
tonkin_gulf.txt     Text of LBJ's Speech to Congress and Tonkin
                    Gulf Resolution
vets_against.txt    Senate Testimony of John Kerry, Vietnam Vets
                    Against the War, 4/23/71
white_paper.txt     Text of Dept. of State White Paper on Vietnam
                    (2/27/65)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/vietnam/kia_mia:
00_README           Key to database fields
(other files)       The rest of the directory consists of the
                    files from the Combat Area Casualties File for
                    the Vietnam War.  The files are divided by
                    state or US territory to facilitate
                    downloading.  Standard post office
                    abbreviations are used for the filenames (ex:
                    wv.asc or oh.asc).

                    **NOTE:  The files in this subdirectory
                    contained errors and inaccuracies.  They have
                    been deleted until the corrected version of
                    the database can be obtained.

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/vietnam/pow_mia:
00_README           File index for POW/MIA files
(other files)       The rest of the directory consists of the
                    Senate POW/MIA report, divided into ASCII
                    files of less than 64k each.  Assemble each
                    file in the order they appear in this
                    directory for the entire report.  See
                    00_README for individual descriptions of each
                    file.

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/wwi:
aef_mia_pow.txt     Senate Report on WWI POW/MIAs
aefplan.biblio      Bibliography on US military planning for WWI
                    (from AEFplan.txt, McCarthy)
aefplan.txt         MA Thesis on US military planning for WWI
                    (includes bibliography, McCarthy)
chronology.txt      Chronology of WWI (emphasis on US military
                    planning)
gpo_wwi.txt         Publications on WWI available from the US
                    Govt. Printing Office
wilson_c-in-c.art   Paper from Mid-America History Conference,
                    9/92, on Woodrow Wilson as Commander-in-Chief
                    (McCarthy)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/wwii:
atlantic_char.txt   Text of the Atlantic Charter
cairo_conf.txt      Text of Cairo Conference Agreement
casablanca_conf.txt Text of Casablanca Conference Agreement
chrono_1938-41.txt  Chronology of events from 1938 - 1941
fdr_4_freedoms.txt  Text of Roosevelt's "4 Freedoms" speech
                    (1/6/41)
fdr_8_dec.txt       Text of Roosevelt's speech on 12/8/41 ("date
                    which will live in infamy")
ger_surrender.txt   Text of German surrender
gpo_wwii.txt        Publications on WWII available from the US
                    Govt. Printing Office
jap_surrender.txt   Text of Japanese surrender
moscow_conf.txt     Text of Moscow Conference Agreement
north_africa.txt    Text of Roosevelt's Statement on North Africa
                    Policy on 11/17/42
peace_our_time.txt  Text of Chamberlain's speech on 9/30/39
                    ("peace in our time")
pearl_harbor.txt    Documents relating to Japanese attack on Pearl
                    Harbor
sept_1939           Subdir: Documents relating to the reactions of
                    European Powers to German invasion of Poland
soviet_neut.txt     Documents relating to Soviet neutrality with
                    Japan
tripartite.txt      Documents relating to Tripartite Pact
us_dec_germany.txt  Text of US declaration of war on Germany
us_dec_japan.txt    Text of US declaration of war on Japan
usaaf               Subdir: Chronologies of USAAF in WWII
yalta_conf.txt      Text of Yalta Conference Agreement

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/wwii/sept_1939:
fr_reaction.txt     French reaction to German invasion of Poland
ger_reaction.txt    German reaction to British ultimatum
uk_reaction.txt     British reaction to German invasion of Poland

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf:
dec_42.txt          USAAF chronology for December 1942
feb_43.txt          USAAF chronology for February 1943
jan_43.txt          USAAF chronology for January 1943
mar_43.txt          USAAF chronology for March 1943

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political:
france              Subdir: France
macedonia           Subdir: Republic of Macedonia
united_kingdom      Subdir: United Kingdom
united_states       Subdir: United States of America

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/france:
rights-of-man.txt   Text of Declaration of Rights of Man (1789)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/macedonia:
macedonia.const     Constitution of the Republic of Macedonia

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united-kingdom:
magna-carta.txt     Text of Magna Carta

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states:
17th_century        Subdir: 17th Century
18th_century        Subdir: 18th Century
19th_century        Subdir: 19th Century
20th_century        Subdir: 20th Century
presidency          Subdir: The US Presidency (inaugrals, etc)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/17th_century:
fund_ord_1639.txt   Text of Fundamental Orders (1639)
mayflower.txt       Text of Mayflower Compact (1620)
thanksgiving.txt    Text of First Thanksgiving Proclamation (1676)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/18th_century:
annapolis.txt       Text of Annapolis Convention (1786)
art_confed.txt      Text of Articles of Confederation (1777, 1781)
bill_rights.txt     Text of Bill of Rights
charlotte.txt       Text of Charlotte Town Resolves (1775)
const_amends.txt
const_trans.txt     Text of Transmittal of Constitution (1787)
constitution.txt
cont_cong_res.txt   Text of Continental Congress Resolves (1777)
decl_indep.txt      Text of Declaration of Independence (1776)
nw_ord.txt          Text of Northwest Ordinance (1787)
va_decl_right.txt   Text of Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/19th_century:
emanc_procl.txt     Text of Emancipation Proclamation (1862)
gettysburg.txt      Text of Gettysburg Address

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/20th_century:
warpowers.act       Text of Warpowers Act (1973)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/presidency:
angelou_poem.txt    Text of Maya Angelou's Poem at Clinton's
                    Inaugural, 1993
jefferson.inaug     Text of Jefferson's Inaugural Address
kennedy.inaug       Text of Kennedy's Inaugural Address
lincoln.inaug       Text of Lincoln's Inaugural Address
washington.farewell Text of Washington's Farewell Address

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/utilities:
cshw833.zip         BINARY: CShow (.GIF graphics file viewer,
                    DOS)
cshw860a.zip        BINARY: CShow v 8.60a (.GIF and .JPG graphics
                    file viewer, DOS)
pkpak.exe           BINARY: File compressor (.ARC files, DOS)
pkunpak.exe         BINARY: File decompressor (.ARC files, DOS)
pkzip204g.exe       BINARY: Self extracting copy of file
                    compressor and decompressor, PKZip v. 2.04g
                    (.ZIP files, DOS)
uudecode.exe        BINARY: File ASCII encoder (.UUE files, DOS)
uuencode.exe        BINARY: File ASCII decoder (.UUE files, DOS)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/women:
tx_womens_univ.txt  Information on Texas Women's University
                    Library Newsletter, DATA ENTRIES, available
                    electronically

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 15:21:45 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IRELAND

As I said in my original post, one story I read many years ago was
that General Bedell (sp?) Smith, Eisenhower's Chief of Staff, was
on his way back to the U.S. from England when the aircraft went
down in the Republic of Ireland.  Officially, he should have been
interned for the duration of the war but in actual fact, he was
taken to the border of Ulster and let go.  I will have to check my
old Irish stuff to see if I can find this again.

During one of my jaunts through Ireland, my wife and I stumbled
upon a cemetary for German military personnel who died in Ireland
during the war.  I believe it was south of Dublin but would not
stake my life, or paycheck, on it.  It was a small cemetary but very
well kept and in excellent taste but I was still surprised to find
it.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 21:55:53 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: BOOK

  Oslo, April 20.  I appreciate the interest shown in my book.  When I
said I was not yet ready to take on the US market, I meant that I am
not yet ready to advertise in such places as the 4th Division Association
quarterly, where I expect to get a number of orders.  This does not
mean that I cannot handle a limited number of mail orders.  I have in
fact already sent flyers to friends in the US and elsewhere in Europe
who have expressed an interest.  (One of my rooms looks like a post
office.)
  I will be glad to mail a flyer to anyone who thinks he might be
interested in purchasing the book.  To avoid surprises, I will note
the book costs $25.  To ship it to the US by B Economy, which takes
two or three weeks, costs $10.  A Priority Airmail costs $17.  (In
Europe, the costs are $5 B Economy and $10 A Airmail.)  I ask for
payment with a dollar check with the order.
  I should also note the book has an A4 (11.75 by 8.25 inch) format
and an unconventional layout, with maps, pictures, boxes, and
sidebars.  (The experts here, including the head of the Scandinavian
University Press, have commended the results.)
  In order to proceed in an orderly fashion, I would be glad to
mail a flyer to anyone sending me his mailing address.  Messages
can be directed to either of the following:
        CIS: 73240,2704
        Internet: [email-masked]
  For Robert Granvin, I appreciate the offer but am reluctant to
get involved with a publisher.  I have published books before and
find publishers and editors have their ideas about how a book should
look and what it should contain.  I wanted this to be MY book and
hence found it best to publish it myself.  On the other hand, I
am always willing to listen.
  For Mike Hoffman, the book is in English and will not be published
in Norwegian.  My correspondence with Germans is directed toward
finding someone who will market the book in Germany.  There is no
printed information I have used which is not available to you, if
you know how to go about getting it.  The most difficult are the
National Archives, which makes molasses look speedy.  The only way
to get things quickly is to go there.
  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Apr 1993 15:05:00 PST
From:    Stephen Fox <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Terms with Hitler

In 1991 I visited the site outside of Compiegne.  Fascinating, but not
easy to find.  The official answer provided there is that the Germans
destroyed the original car shortly after the signing in June 1940.

Now, they do have a replacement car that is housed permanently in
a rather small building.  We happened to arrive on the only day
that the museum is closed, but my wife and I boosted my sister-in-
law (both are Belgian and speak fluent French) up to a window where
by tapping she got the attention of the janitor.  This pleaseant
and pliant fellow readily agreed to take my camera and photograph
the car from various angles.  We took turns at the window, now
opened by the janitor, so I got a good look at it.  Shiny mahogany;
rich upholstery; various armaments and flags on display.  So, I
have several satisfactory pictures, as well as a grand one of
my sis-in-law dangling by her fintertips from the window!

I also found the slab in the center of the clearing to be a fadcinating
reminder of the hatred the French had toward Germany, 1914-18.  The
inscription (in French, of course) refers to the rising of the people
over the criminal German machine - well, I can't do it justice, but
had I been a German in 1940 I might have found some saitsfaction
ex
********************************************
*       Steve Fox                          *
*       History Department                 *
*       Humboldt State University          *
*       Arcata, CA  95521                  *
*       (707) 826-4788                     *
*       [email-masked]              *
********************************************
in the symbolism of the occasion chosen by Hitler.

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 19 Apr 1993 to 20 Apr 1993
*************************************************