Subject: WWII-L Digest - 24 Apr 1993 to 25 Apr 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1993 00:00:31 -0400

There are 5 messages totalling 119 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Krupp's Gustav a.k.a. Dora
  2. Bibliography request
  3. review 'WWII-L' by country (2)
  4. FYI: Kalamazoo Air Zoo

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 25 Apr 1993 10:29:21 -0400
From:    Akira Takiguchi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Krupp's Gustav a.k.a. Dora

>Any good sources for information on this huge piece of artillery? This gun
>reported inaccuracy and uselessness in 'The Arms of Krupp' by William
>Manchester. Wheras other publications mention it as a decisive weapon in
>the siege of Sevastopol.

     _Deutsche Eisenbahn Geschuetze_  Gerhard Taube  Motorbuch Verlag,
Stuttgart  1990

     The book describes not only Dora but Paris gun, K5, Siegfried gun
and other monsters.

     There is another work of his _Eisenbahngechuetz Dora - Das groesste
Geschuetz aller Zeiten_ (Stuttgart 1979), but I've never seen it.

     There is a table on the book (on page 154) which shows the result
of 48 rounds shot aimed at the Sevastopol fortresses.  Around 1/4 were
hits.  The rest are 45-700m too far or too near.

     BTW, as someone else said, please include your Email address as part
of your mail message since listserver makes some of you out there impossible
to reply.
--
       Akira Takiguchi  at ATSON, Inc. (a subsidiary of the Asahi Shimbun)
                   WAKO GINZA bldg.  8-10-4 Ginza Chuo-ku Tokyo 104  Japan
   +81 3 3289 7051(voice) 7066(fax)  EMAIL TO <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 25 Apr 1993 13:38:38 EST
From:    S214000 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bibliography request

Hi all,
yesterday I posted a request for a bibliography about Shoo Shoo baby.
Well, there's a change to that original request in that it's now a re-
quest for the bibliography from the BOOK "Shoo Shoo Baby". Can anyone
help me out with this? Thanks, Mike Wilson

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 25 Apr 1993 16:24:40 EST
From:    Jeff Jovick <[email-masked]>
Subject: review 'WWII-L' by country

Mr. Jewell,

I would be very interested in getting a copy of those currently
subscribed to the WWII list.  Especially those in the U.S.A.

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey J Jovick
(f160.ferris.bitnet)
-still looking for a quote-

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 25 Apr 1993 17:07:38 EST
From:    Jeff Jovick <[email-masked]>
Subject: FYI: Kalamazoo Air Zoo

This weekend I found myself in Kalamazoo to watch a friend of mine race
in a marathon.  Anyway, en route to that city, I saw a billboard
advertising this Kalamazoo Air Zoo.  Needless to say I was intrigued
enough to take a look.

They have about 25 planes mostly from the WWII era.  Most of them are
U.S., although there are some German and Spanish entries.  There was
P-51D Mustang, B-25(G or H..I think...)Mitchell, and a P-39 Bell
AirCobra one of two known to still be airworthy.  There was even a
flight simulator there.

If you ever find yourself in the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo area I do
recommend checking it out.  It is by no means an all day excurusion,
but it is surely something to include in one's itinerary.  I think I
spent about two hours there altogether.

Jeffrey J Jovick
(f160.ferris.bitnet)
-still haven't found a quote-

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 25 Apr 1993 16:27:55 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: review 'WWII-L' by country

>
> Mr. Jewell,
>
> I would be very interested in getting a copy of those currently
> subscribed to the WWII list.  Especially those in the U.S.A.

| You should send mail with any subject and body of
|
| review wwii-l countries
|
| to
|
| [email-masked]
|
| which will get your information mailed back to you.

| The weird format of this letter is due to the fact that the last time I
| sent this infomation to the list, listserv thought I was asking for it,
| and sent me a copy.  I've set the whole list to "digest" that way once :-(.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jeffrey J Jovick
> (f160.ferris.bitnet)
> -still looking for a quote-
>
Larry J

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 24 Apr 1993 to 25 Apr 1993
*************************************************