Subject: WWII-L Digest - 26 Apr 1993 to 27 Apr 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1993 00:00:47 -0400

There are 16 messages totalling 632 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. BIBLIOGRAPHY REQUEST - Shoo Shoo Baby
  2. NATIONAL ARCHIVES FTP SITE
  3. USAAF 27 APR 43
  4. Amelia Earhart (4)
  5. B-17(s) named Shoo Shoo Baby (2)
  6. FTP help file.
  7. Publications (2)
  8. NORWEGIAN REDOUBT
  9. Queen's Univ Kingston - need address
 10. Reader's Digest Book
 11. Query: Book about Ferry Pilots

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 13:17:32 AEST
From:    "Wilber Williams, Prentice Centre" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: BIBLIOGRAPHY REQUEST - Shoo Shoo Baby

>I'm looking for a bibliography on the B-17 named Shoo Shoo Baby. Can
>anyone help me or give me a good place to start.

This aircraft was one of the versions available in a Monogram B-17 model.
I've got the instructions at home - it lists things like which bomb group,
where it was stationed. I'll look and see if it lists any other
bibliographies.

+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Wilber WILLIAMS                            [email-masked]      |
|Prentice Centre                            Telephone : +61 7 365 4232   |
|The University of Queensland               Facsimile : +61 7 365 4477   |
|Brisbane Qld 4072  AUSTRALIA                                            |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 01:56:06 -0800
From:    Jim Budler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NATIONAL ARCHIVES FTP SITE

>> FOR LYDIA FISH
>> I have downloaded the files listed in Ted Hull's message.  The file
>> TITLE.LIST.APR1693 was very hard to view on my computer, evidently
>> because it uses 132 character lines.  I also note the files are available on
>> reels, which will limit the number of people who can use them.
>>
>> The question that occurs to me is: why are they not putting this
>> stuff on CD-ROM?
>
>Probably because of the burreaucracy required to establish a 'standard'
>distribution media. After all how old is the 'standard' for CD-ROMs.
>It's pretty embarrasing but 9 track tape is one of the few standards that most
>vendors agree on.
>
>Bob Smart ([email-masked])

I don't know how to tell you this (you need Scope!!!!), but we retired our
last 9-track about 8 months ago.

I don't think there are any vendors except DEC and IBM still using 9 track.

Five years ago "DEC and IBM" defined "most vendors".

Today installing an OS from tape takes all day; from CD it takes less than
2 hours.

9 track survived because *EVERYONE* supported it. Today *NOBODY* supports it.

I think it's time to forget 9 track. A Kodak CD writer costs less than a 9
track drive, including software. A "blank" for the Kodak drive costs about
the same as an 160 Mbyte 9 track tape, but holds 600+ Mbyte.

Today Sun only distributes on CD, HP distributes on CD and 4mm DAT.

Installing Solaris 2.1 from CD on a new machine takes about 1 hour.
Installing HPUX from 4mm DAT takes about 4 hours.
We didn't receive our HPUX CD in time to try it.

Nevertheless 9 track is *history*.

jim
--
jim budler
[email-masked]
also [email-masked], [email-masked], and [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 07:22:53 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 27 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 27 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, 1 B-25 unsuccessfully investigates a reported submarine
4 mi (6.4 km) W of Bay Island. Four P-38's bomb the Main Camp, then scout
Buldir.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 19 B-25's bomb the engine sheds at Thazi. P-40's hit
positions S of Sarenghkyet.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, P-40's bomb and strafe concentrations N and NW of
Enfidaville.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sardinia, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's,
with P-38 escort, bomb Villacidro Airfield.
    In Tunisia, NASAF B-25's hit shipping W of Zembra Island off Cap Bon.
Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) planes (fighters, A-20's, and
medium bombers) hit numerous tactical targets in NE Tunisia, including
Sidi Ahmed Airfield and troops, tank, trucks, and gun positions at
Massicault, on the Pont-du-Fahs road, Ksar Tyr, Bir Meherga, and other
points along the battleline.
    HQ 2d Bombardment Group (Heavy) and it's 20th, 49th and 96th
Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy) with B-17's transfer from Navarin, Algeria
to Chateaudun-du-Rhumel, Algeria. The Group's fourth squadron, the 429th
Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), arrives at Chateaudun-du-Rhumel from the
US today. The group will fly it's first combat mission tomorrow.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, B-24's pound Vila and the airfield on Ballale Island.
B-17's hit Kahili Airfield.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, heavy bombers, operating individually,
attack vessels off Cape Gloucester, Cape Goltz and Gasmata.
  In New Guinea, A-20's bomb and strafe forces in the Green's Hill-Mubo
area. B-25's bomb a village near Beru. Heavy bombers, operating
individually, attack vessels NNW of Dobo and Nabire and small vessels and
targets of opportunity in the Marienberg, Wewak, and Finschhafen areas.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 06:14:08 CDT
From:    "D. Neff" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Amelia Earhart

There was an article in a recent issue (about 5-6 months ago?) of _Air
and Space_ about Gillespie and the search for Amelia Earhart -- pictures
from Nikumaroro Island, the shoe part, the aluminum, etc.  I don't remember
anything about a navigator's log -- it seems like that's rather stronger
evidence, no?

+-------------------------+
|  David L. Neff          |
|  Univ. of Arkansas      |
|  Dept. of Agr. Econ     |
|  [email-masked]  |
+-------------------------+

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 26 Apr 1993 18:14:32 -0400
From:    "M. Joseph Barone" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: B-17(s) named Shoo Shoo Baby

> Shoo Shoo Baby was a *very* popular name.  The book lists 25
> aircraft with that name or variations such as "Shoo! Shoo! Baby".

        This begs the question: why?  Was it a popular song or some
such reference nearly lost (if completely lost then I'll never know!)
by the passage of time?  Thanks.
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
They even have the goddam grave diggers
with them!  Now that's fighting spirit!

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 09:37:34 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: B-17(s) named Shoo Shoo Baby

> > Shoo Shoo Baby was a *very* popular name.  The book lists 25
> > aircraft with that name or variations such as "Shoo! Shoo! Baby".
>
>         This begs the question: why?  Was it a popular song or some
> such reference nearly lost (if completely lost then I'll never know!)
> by the passage of time?  Thanks.

Shoo Shoo Baby was a popular song of the time...

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force
  You know you've made a gear-up landing when it takes full power to taxi.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 10:13:20 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: FTP help file.

Since I've been posting information on Mike McCarthy's ftp site, I've had
several requests for the instructions re ftping.  Here's the file that
got me started.  I hope it helps you out.  (PS, I'm sending historical and
military gifs to "byrd", so watch for a new section opening up there soon.
I wish *I* had three gigabytes of storage!)

Larry J

From: [email-masked] (CBIP Moderator)
Subject: v19inf05: ftp.man, Beginner's Guide to FTP V1.7 (part 01/01)
Originator: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1992 14:17:38 GMT

[Date of Last Change: 10-Apr-92 Release 1.7]

                        A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO FTP

Copyright (c) 1991 by Brian O'Neill. Permission to copy this file freely is
given, so long as the file remains unmodified.

    FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol.  It allows a person to transfer
files between two systems, generally connect over local area networks or
wide area networks, such as the Internet.

    If your hosts system has FTP and is connected to the Internet, you
can access very large amounts of archives available on a number of
systems, such as Simtel20 or ftp.uu.net.  This is a simplified use
manual, and will use two examples, one a TOPS-20 system
(wsmr-simtel20.army.mil, which has a large base if PD/Shareware MSDOS
software), and one Unix system (ftp.uu.net, where archives of the
comp.sources newsgroups are kept).

    The simplest way to initiate FTP would be to give the command 'ftp
<system-name>', where <system-name> is the remote system you are
connecting to, either a name (wsmr-simtel20.army.mil, if you have an
entry in /etc/hosts or are accessing a Domain Name Server, such as bind) or
the InterNet address (192.88.110.20, for Simtel20).  After a short wait, you
will be prompted for your username.  If you do not have an account on the
remote system, some systems allow you to use 'anonymous'.  This gives you a
restricted access path, allowing you to access certain files only.

    You would then be prompted for a password. If you are using your own
account, give your password. If you are using 'anonymous', the system may
ask you to send your real identity as the password.  What you type doesn't
matter, but it is suggested to give your mail address.  Other systems
need a password of 'guest', or something similar.

    After that, you should receive the FTP prompt (usually ftp>), and
now have access.  You can get a directory of files be giving a 'dir'
command, or if the remote system is Unix-based, 'ls -l' will give the
familiar output.  On Simtel20, there is a file available in the
default anonymous ftp directory that explains what Simtel20 is, and
where files are located.  The name is 'SIMTEL-ARCHIVES.INFO.nn, where
".nn" is a file generation number.  You don't need to specify the file
generation number when requesting the file.  In fact, it's better not
to because you will always get the latest generation that way.

    Unix systems will all have the familiar directory structure, and
moving around is done with the familiar 'cd' or 'cwd' command.
TOPS-20 systems have a different structure, but movement is still
accomplished with the 'cd' command.

    I will use Simtel20 as the first example. To start, give the
command 'ftp wsmr-simtel20.army.mil' from your shell prompt, or 'open
wsmr-simtel20.army,mil' from the 'ftp>' prompt.  If this host is not
in your /etc/hosts file or you do not have access to a Domain-name Server,
use '192.88.110.20' in it's place.  After a few seconds, you'll be prompted
for your username.  Type 'anonymous', and when prompted for password,
give your e-mail address (more as a courtesy than anything else), or if
you prefer, 'guest'.  You should then shortly get back the 'ftp>' prompt.
If you receive an error message stating that there are too many anonymous
logins, wait a few minutes and try again. Simtel20 has limited access,
especially during normal business hours.

    Now, say you want to see what is stored for MS-DOS programs.
Simtel20 is a DEC System-20 running the TOPS-20 operating system.  The
directory structure is 'DISK:<DIRECTORY.SUBDIRECTORY>'.  For MS-DOS
programs, the main directory is 'PD1:<MSDOS>'.  In here there is a
file called 'MSDOS.CRCLST', which is updated almost daily.  It
contains a list of all files within the MS-DOS subdirectories, along
with file size and CRC value.

    To get this list, first switch to that directory by saying 'cd
pd1:<msdos>' (TOPS-20 is not case sensitive).  If you are prompted for
another password just ignore the request.  When you get the 'ftp>'
prompt back, you can then say 'get msdos.crclst'.  This will initiate
the transfer, and after a few minutes it will be completed.  The
beauty of Unix is that while you are transfering something big, you
can put it in the background and do something else.

    Say you wanted to get ProComm Plus TD. According to the list, it is
in PD1:<MSDOS.PROCOMM>.  So, you can enter 'cd pd1:<msdos.procomm>'.
A 'dir' will show all the files in that directory.  (You may wish not
to use too many 'dir' commands, as they are sometimes fairly slow).

    Now, you want the file 'pcplustd.arc'.  First, you must tell your
host what kind of file it is.  On most Unix systems, 'binary' or 'set
type binary' or 'set type I' will work.  However, as Simtel20 runs a
different OS that has different word sizes (36 bits) you must specify
'tenex' or 'type L 8' to transfer properly.  You can then issue a 'get
pcplustd.arc' command, and after a short while, you have ProComm Plus TD.
To end your session, enter the 'bye' command.

    Unix is a little more familiar for most people with Internet access.
For example, you might wish to get sources to the ZOO version 2.01
from ftp.uu.net.  First, you give the 'ftp ftp.uu.net' command (or
ftp 137.39.1.9), giving 'anonymous' for the username, and your address
as the password.  You can then use the 'dir' or 'ls -l' commands to scan
the directories.  After some directory searching, you find it is located in
usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume17/zoo2, showing that it was posted in
comp.sources.unix, volume 17. Inside that directory, you find 10 parts,
labelled part01.Z to part10.Z. As told by the .Z suffix, these files are
compressed binary files. You must tell FTP to operate in binary mode, so
type 'binary' or 'type I' to set it. You can then do a 'get' for each file.
Now you have the original sources to ZOO 2.01.

    Different systems have different organizations for their files, and the
above example is just the way I have it set up.  By 'poking' around other
systems, you can learn how their files are set up, and zip around much
faster.  Note, however, that FTP will not allow you outside the FTP 'root'
directory, usually ~ftp on most systems.  So, poking about the entire system
is not permitted.

    You now have a basic understanding of how to use FTP to get the things
you want. I hope this has been of use. Questions and comments welcome.
Other features of FTP can be found in the manual - please check there. My
E-mail address is [email-masked].

    Messages regarding problems, complaints or suggestions for
Simtel20 should be addressed to [email-masked]'.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 13:43:14 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Publications

The following is a list of articles that appear in the Spring 1993 issue of
the AAHS JOURNAL published by the American Aviation Historical Society that
may be of interest to this group.

1. ADMIRAL MARC A. MITSCHER, USN: A SILHOUETTE

2. Part IX of the series ARMY AIR CORPS AND ARMY AIR FORCES CIVIL PRIMARY
FLYING SCHOOLS 1939-1945.  This part describes the Spartan School of
Aeronautics at the Tulsa, Oklahoma Airport.

3. THE DOUGLAS DC-6 (PART I)

4. CASE HISTORY OF THE XF-87 ALL-WEATHER FIGHTER (COMPILED BY THE AIR
TECHNICAL SERVICE COMMAND, WRIGHT FIELD)

5. THE McDONNELL XV-1

6. MOJAVE VECTORS.  How an ex-TWA Convair 880 stored at Mojave, California
was restored and flown to the FAA Facility at Atlantic City, New Jersey.

7. ENDLESS TRACK LANDING GEAR.  Testing a tracked landing gear on a
Fairchild C-82A in Mar 48.

The FORUM OF FLIGHT, the section of old photographs includes the following:

1. Boeing 314, ATLANTIC CLIPPER, NC18604, at Miami in the summer of 1940.
2. The first C-97 at Wright Field, Ohio in late 1944.
3. American Airlines DC-2-120, NC14923 at Newark, New Jersey on 20 Aug 39.
4. Curtiss A-12 of the 13th Attack Squadron, date and location unknown.
5. A bunch of other similar shots.

In the NEWS & COMMENT SECTION, i.e., letters from the members, is a letter
and photograph of a restored Ford 5-AT TriMotor painted as a USAAC aircraft
in the 20's photographed in the Ford Motor Company hangar at Metro Airport,
Romulus, Michigan on 15 May 92.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 19:52:09 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: NORWEGIAN REDOUBT

  Oslo, April 27.  There is a great deal of literature about the
alleged plans of Hitler to make a last stand in a redoubt in the
Austrian Alps.  There is, however, very little about concerns in
Allied headquarters that it would be necessary to root the Germans
out of Norway.
  The total of my knowledge of this is that SACEUR had plans to
invade Norway via Denmark and Sweden.  Also to make a landing near
Stavanger on the west coast of Norway -- although what the forces
were supposed to do after they landed is a mystery.
  Does anyone else know anything about this?
        John C. Ausland CIS: 73240,2704
        Internet: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 11:59:45 MDT
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Amelia Earhart

I may have mis-spoke (mis-posted?) earlier about the navigator's log.
What I seem to remember was part of the personal effects recovered at
Nikumaroro included the remains of a notebook that was similar to the
one used by Noonan.

I should also point out that navy patrol planes from the Colorado
overflew the island on 7/9/37, a full week after Earhart went down.
One of the pilots reported recent signs of habitation but, to quote
the pilot: "repeated circling and zooming failed to elicit any
answering wave from possible inhabitants and it was finally taken for
granted that none where there."  It is also important to remember
that the island lack fresh water.

Steve Alvin
Dickinson State University
[email-masked]
**********************************************************************
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.--Proverb*
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat my class.-SA*
**********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 14:16:50 EST
From:    GLAB000 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Queen's Univ Kingston - need address

Could someone on the net who lives in Kingston, Ontario be kind enough
to send me the mailing address and fone number of the university's
conference service office?  I wish to bring a group of cyclists to
Kingston in June and need accommodations there.  Any assistance
appreciated.

Dale Lally
St. Lawrence University
Canton NY
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 14:52:25 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Reader's Digest Book

> >There's a well-known book on WWII by Reader's Digest ...
>
> Yes, this book is a MUST.  IMHO, definitely the best overall view of the
> war.  It's called The World at Arms - the Reader's Digest History of World
> War II published by Reader's Digest.

Perhaps this is a different Reader's Digest history of WWII than the one I
have.  I certainly wouldn't recommend mine... which begins on December 7th,
1941, after a brief chronology of the events before that date.  It fails my
first-order test of excessive US bias; pretending the war didn't start
until we got involved.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
Quality Engineer            Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 16:41:48 -0500
From:    "Sidney W. Kitchel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Publications

[email-masked] writes:
|->
|-> 2. Part IX of the series ARMY AIR CORPS AND ARMY AIR FORCES CIVIL PRIMARY
|-> FLYING SCHOOLS 1939-1945.  This part describes the Spartan School of
|-> Aeronautics at the Tulsa, Oklahoma Airport.

        The Spartan School still exists, but Spartan Aviation, its
parent, is no more. The school continues to train avionic technicians.
Spartan Aviation and its school were headed during WWII by J. Paul
Getty. He made it his personal duty station as part of his
contribution to the war effort. Getty made much of his early fortune
in Tulsa trading oil leases in the lobby of the Hotel Tulsa during the
20s and 30s. Along the way, Getty acquired Spartan and the Admiral
National Bank in Tulsa.
        During WWII, I believe Spartan was a major subcontractor. It
was located close to the main terminal at the airport and not very far
from the "bomber plant", where Douglas built B-17s and other aircraft.
My mother played "Rosie the Riveter" there as well as lead mechanic
and inspector.
        Even down to today, Tulsa (which called itself "the Oil
Capital of the World" once) has its largest employers in aviation:
American Airlines maintenance base, McDonald-Douglas, and Rockwell.
This economic fact is one of those small consequences of WWII.

                                                        --Sid
--
Sidney W. Kitchel           [email-masked], [email-masked]
Data Parallel Systems, Inc.  ============||  DPSI  ||===============
4617 E. Morningside Drive                             (812) 334-8100
Bloomington, Indiana,  47408  USA               FAX:  (812) 334-8121

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 18:19:01 -0400
From:    Lydia Fish <[email-masked]>
Subject: Query: Book about Ferry Pilots

This is a *very* unscholarly query!

Last summer I ran across a book on the women ferry pilots in WWII at the Air
and Space Museum bookstore.  I was short of cash at the time, so I carefully
noted the author, title and publisher and subsequently, of course, managed to
lose the citation.  Can anyone identify it for me?

Since it was in the store in hardback last summer it was probably printed no
earlier than 1991.  It was more or less standard "book" size (as opposed to
"coffee table") and had a photograph on the cover of an attratctive young woman
and an sirplane.  The only book in stock when I went back this fall was written
by one of the pilots and was a sort of yearbook rather than a study.  The
manager of the bookstore couldn't figure out what I was talking about.

Can anyone help?

Thanks very much!

Lydia (fishlm@snybufva)

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 19:40:00 EST
From:    Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition! <[email-masked]>
Subject: Amelia Earhart

>I should also point out that navy patrol planes from the Colorado
>overflew the island on 7/9/37, a full week after Earhart went down.
>One of the pilots reported recent signs of habitation but, to quote
>the pilot: "repeated circling and zooming failed to elicit any
>answering wave from possible inhabitants and it was finally taken for
>granted that none where there."  It is also important to remember
>that the island lack fresh water.

Steve Alvin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   ---------
        As I understand it, the Island (Gardner) was not supposed to be
occupied when those patrol planes surveyed it.  Does anyone know more about
this?

                                        Stephen Marshall

                                        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 1993 21:23:40 MDT
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Amelia Earhart

> >I should also point out that navy patrol planes from the Colorado
> >overflew the island on 7/9/37, a full week after Earhart went down.
> >One of the pilots reported recent signs of habitation but, to quote
> >the pilot: "repeated circling and zooming failed to elicit any
> >answering wave from possible inhabitants and it was finally taken for
> >granted that none where there."  It is also important to remember
> >that the island lack fresh water.
>
> Steve Alvin
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    ---------
>         As I understand it, the Island (Gardner) was not supposed to be
> occupied when those patrol planes surveyed it.  Does anyone know more about
> this?
>
>                                         Stephen Marshall

According to Gillespie's article Feb, 1993's USNI Proceedings, the
earlier info I posted also came from this article), Gardner *was*
supposed to be uninhabited.  The last visit had been in 1892 when
twenty native laborers had planted coconut trees.  But, a
combination of experts from Lockeed and experienced navigators
familiar with both the Electra and the techniques of navigation
used by Noonan, combined with radio triangulation of distress
calls received by Pan Am suggested that the Phoenix Islands, of which
Gardner was one, was the most likely place to look for the Electra.

In 1938, a British survey party visited the island, they
discovered the skeleton of a woman with "shoes of the American kind,
size nine narrow."  This was the size shoe discovered by Gillespie in
1991 *and* was the same size that Amelia wore.  The article doesn't
mention if the British buried the body or what.  I would think that
much of the controversy would be settled one way or another if the
skeleton was found!

It is also interesting to note that in the official log entry of the
Captain of the Colorado stated that *no* sign of habitation was seen
on the island!

Steve Alvin
Dickinson State University
[email-masked]

**********************************************************************
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.--Proverb*
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat my class.-SA*
**********************************************************************

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 26 Apr 1993 to 27 Apr 1993
*************************************************