Subject: WWII-L Digest - 13 Apr 1993 to 14 Apr 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 00:00:39 -0400

There are 3 messages totalling 159 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 14 APR 43
  2. Digesting WWII-L Mail
  3. REF: U.S. Army in WWII

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 14 Apr 1993 07:22:31 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 14 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 14 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in
pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  Betty, Mitsubishi G4M, Navy Type 1 Attack Bomber
  Blenheim, Bristol (RAF)
  Hurricane, Hawker (RAF)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS
  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    30 P-40's, 17 P-38's, 9 B-24's and 6 B-25's fly 10 missions to Kiska,
bombing and strafing the runway, North Head area, installations, parked
seaplanes, and facilities on Little Kiska.

  ZONE OF INTERIOR (HQ USAAF)
     The Weather Wing is activated at Asheville, North Carolina to provide
scientific weather information for the USAAF and the rest of the Army. This
new wing assumes responsibility from HQ USAAF for the supervision of the
Army Air Forces Weather Service which was established in 1937.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, P-40's dropping 1,000 pound (454 kg) bombs, hit airfields at
Myitkyina and Manywet, rendering the runways at both unusable.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    In China, P-40's strafe pack horses S of Tengchung, barracks and
warehouses in Lungling, and cattle and trucks N of Lungling.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, P-40's fly convoy escort, and carry out fighter sweeps over
the battle area as the British Eighth Army's 10 Corps continues to make
quick jabs at positions at Enfidaville. These attempts to force an enemy
retreat are unsuccessful.
    The 314th, 315th and 316th Fighter Squadrons, 324th Fighter Group with
P-40's transfer from Libya to Tunisia.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sardinia, B-17's bomb the Elmas and Monserrato Airfields.
    In Tunisia during the night of 13/14 Apr, Northwest African Tactical
Air Force (NATAF) Hurricanes and Blenheims bomb La Sebala Airfield and
attack transport on the Tunis-Pont-du-Fahs road, and Western Desert Air
Force (WDAF) light and medium bombers hit the Airfields at Sainte-Marie du
Zit and Korba. During the day, B-17's bomb El Aouina Airfield. P-38's
escort the heavy bombers and fly a bombing and strafing mission against a
beached vessel SE of Cape Zebib. A-20's bomb Bordj Toum. Fighter-bombers
hit a motor convoy near Grich el Oued and trucks NE of Dechret Ben Saidane
and a battery E of Djedeida. Fighters fly reconnaissance and sweeps
throughout the Tunisian battle area. Northwest African Coastal Air Force
(NACAF) planes maintain sea reconnaissance and patrols.
    HQ 52d Fighter Group transfers from Youks-les-Bains, Algeria to Le
Sers, Tunisia.
    The 441st, 442d and 444th Bombardment Squadrons (Medium), 320th
Bombardment Group (Medium) with B-26B's transfer from Tafaraoui, Algeria to
Montesquieu, Algeria.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, heavy and medium bombers carry out widespread but
unsuccessful attacks on individual enemy vessels. Japanese aircraft carry
out a heavy attack on the Milne Bay area, severely damaging 1 vessel,
beaching 1 vessel, and hitting 2 others, but doing very little damage to
USAAF facilities in the area. AA defenses and the 40+ P-40's and P-38's
that intercept the enemy strike claim 14 airplanes shot down.
  Dick Bong becomes a Double Ace when he gets his 10th kill, a Betty.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air
Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945
by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN
1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 14 Apr 1993 07:39:21 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Digesting WWII-L Mail

One thing I forgot to mention about digesting the list's mail is that
you can restore continous service by sending

set wwii-l mail

to the listserver.

It's also the time of year when I ask that those who are leaving the list
for the summer to be sure and unsubscribe the list.  Send the command

unsubscribe wwii-l

to

[email-masked]

and have a nice summer (I will be doing Pysch AND Sociology courses :-(.

Larry J

BTW, if all else fails, send a note to me or the list and I'll unsubscribe
you, but only if all else fails, please.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 14 Apr 1993 22:13:48 -0400
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: U.S. Army in WWII

> Just received in the U. S. government depository section in our library:
>
> United States Army in World War II: Reader's Guide.  Compiled and edited by
> Richard D. Adamcyzk and Morris J. MacGregor.  Washington, DC: United States
> Army Center of Military History, 1992.  Purchase information from Government
> Printing Office, Stock No. 008-029-00251-5, $10.00 USA; $12.50 foreign;
> ISBN 0-16-037817-6.  173 pp., paper.   SuDocs class no.: D 114.7/2:992
>
> This is a thorough description of the contents of each of the volumes in the
> _United States Army in World War II_ series, with a page or two describing

Are these still available from the GPO? where do I send for a current list of
the ones that are in print?

Bob Smart ([email-masked])

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 13 Apr 1993 to 14 Apr 1993
*************************************************