Subject: WWII-L Digest - 21 Apr 1993 to 22 Apr 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1993 00:00:27 -0400

There are 20 messages totalling 712 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. VARIOUS (3)
  2. USAAF 21 APR 43
  3. Myitnge Bridge (2)
  4. USAAF 17 APR 43 (2)
  5. Krupp's Gustav a.k.a. Dora (2)
  6. GREETINGS
  7. IRELAND
  8. Kwajalein (2)
  9. 1938-'41 Chronology
 10. about my father
 11. GEN: saying MYITNGE
 12. Reader's Digest Book
 13. Ref: U.S. Army War College E-mail address?
 14. Rhode Island Listees

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 07:25:15 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: VARIOUS

  Oslo, April 22.
  For Beverly Brock.  I got your April 21 message and appreciate
your intention to order my book.  Mail away.
  For Lydia Fish.  Thanks for posting Ted Hull's notice about the
National Archives FTPable directory.  I will take a look at it.
>From my experience, the problem is not so much locating documents
about World War II but getting them once you have located them,
unless you go to the document center at Suitland, Maryland.  The
personnel there are very helpful, and in one day last October I
got all the records I really needed for my book.  However, it
took six months for some others I asked be sent me to arrive.
  Monthly telephone calls did not seem to hurry things along.
At that time, the center did not even have fax, although I was
told they intend to get it.
  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 07:13:04 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 21 APR 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 22 APRIL 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in
pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-40, Curtiss

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  In the Ellice Islands, the airfield on Funafuti is bombed twice during
the night of 21/22 Apr by the Japanese. Two B-24's are destroyed and 5
others damaged.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, P-40's fly fighter sweeps over the battle area along the
Gulf of Hammamet.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Tunisia, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-26's bomb
2 landing grounds near Protville. Northwest African Tactical Air Force
(NATAF) fighters and A-20's fly sweeps, reconnaissance, and patrols
and attack positions at Djebel el Ahmera (Longstop Ridge), Sidi Nsir,
Djebel el Ajred (Bald Hill), and other points as the British First Army's
5 Corps launches the start of the final phase of the assault on Tunis and
Bizerte, attacking on a front N and S of Medjez el Bab.
    In Italy, B-26's hit the harbor at Carloforte on San Pietro Island.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  HQ 42d Bombardment Group (Medium) arrives in Fiji from the U.S.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, A-20's and  B-25's pound the Lababia-Duali area on Nassau
Bay. Single B-17's bomb the Dobo and Nubia area, and strafe Ubili in the
Bismarck Archipelago.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 07:24:31 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Myitnge Bridge

                       THE MYITNGE BRIDGE

(No, I do not know how to pronounce it either!)

The primary mission of Tenth Air Force bombers was the destruction of
Japanese installations, supply routes and lines of communications in
Burma.  The main transportation routes through central Burma were three
rivers, the Sittang, Irrawaddy and Chindwin, and a rail system running
north from Rangoon to Myitkyina via Mandalay; the railroad was the
principal line of communication for the Japanese in northern Burma.  The
rivers and railway provided a wide variety of targets for the B-17's,
B-24's and B-25's of the Tenth.  The railway net included a number of
bridges that were lucrative targets; if destroyed, these bridges would
greatly reduce the flow of supplies to the Japanese Army fighting in
northern and western Burma.  The problem with bridges is that it was
extremely difficult to hit such a small target with bombers and if damaged,
the Japanese immediately began repairing it.  Unfortunately, it would be
30-40 years before laser-guided bombs, i.e., "smart" bombs, were
available.

Mandalay was the key to the rail network through central Burma because all
goods for the north and western part of the country had to pass through it.
The Myitnge Bridge was located just south of Mandalay between Paleik and
Mandalay and all rail traffic to Mandalay went over it.  This four-span,
truss-type, steel structure became the second most bombed target in Burma
after Rangoon.  The following is a brief list of the missions against this
bridge to date (how would you have liked to see that B-17 attack on 24
Mar?):

1 Jan 43: The first mission against the bridge when 6 B-25's attacked and
claimed several hits.

10 Jan 43: B-24's and B-25's hit the target and report that a span was
knocked out and considerable damage was done to the whole  structure, in
other words, it was reported "destroyed".  Later reconnaissance revealed
it was damaged and unserviceable but repairable.  The Japanese begin
repairing it.

25 Jan 43: 5 B-25's attack destroying the southern approach and repair
work is temporarily suspended.

4 Feb 43:  6 B-25's bombed the bridge from 6,000 to  6,500 feet (1,829 to
1,981 m) while 7 B-24's bombed from 14,500 feet (4,420 m) but  only caused
slight damage to the south approach.

5 Feb 43: 6 B-25's attack but fail to knock it out.

6 Feb 43: B-24's hit the target but fail to damage it.

12 Feb 43: 7 B-24's attack the bridge using 2,000-pound (907 kg)
blockbusters for the first time in the China-Burma-India Theater;
they score 23 hits in the target area, but the bridge was not damaged.

14 Feb 43: B-25's unsuccessfully attack

15 Feb 43: B-24's attack but cause minor damage

23 Feb 43: Several B-24's attack battering the southern approach but not
damaging the spans

25 Feb 43: B-24's again attack without causing any damage

6 Mar 43: 6 B-24's attack unsuccessfully

8 Mar 43: 12 B-25's attack the bridge and AA positions with poor results.

11 Mar 43: 7 B-25's attack causing little damage

15 Mar 43: 8 B-25's attack causing little damage

16 Mar 43: 8 B-25's attack scoring 2 hits but the bridge is still intact

17 Mar 43: 8 B-25's attack damaging the northern approach

18 Mar 43: 8 B-25's attack slightly damaging the bridge

19 Mar 43: 8 B-25's attack and score at least 4 direct hits rendering it
unserviceable

20 Mar 43: 7 B-25's attack inflicting little additional damage

21 Mar 43: 6 B-24's unsuccessfully attack

24 Mar 43: 23 B-24's attack but do not hit the target;  2 B-17's attack
the bridge at 50 feet (15 m) dropping four 1,000 pound (453 kg) bombs without
effect

3 Apr 43: 17 B-25's attack scoring hits on both approaches

17 Apr 43: 7 B-25's attack scoring 4 damaging hits

21 Apr 43: 9 B-25's unsuccessfully attack

29 Apr 43: Well, stay tuned for this continuing drama which will continue
until June 1944

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 07:27:58 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: USAAF 17 APR 43

        >From a reference I had at hand: on 9 October '42 the 8th AF attacked Lille. The
        bombers claimed 56-26-20. After the war it was found that Luftwaffe losses had
        been 2.

        The book includes handy statistics: Total claims for the 8th AF were 6098, for
        the 15th AF 2110. (Compared to losses in combat 5548 and 2519, respectively). Th
        e
        gunners of the 8th AF fired 76.887.000 rounds of .50 ammunition and 653.000
        rounds of .30 ammunition, the 15th fired +30.000.000 rounds of .50... That is
        roughly 13100 rounds/claim.

        Emmanuel Gustin

Emmanuel,
What is the name and ISBN number of the book?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 05:41:11 -0600
From:    The Invigilator <[email-masked]>
Subject: Krupp's Gustav a.k.a. Dora

Any good sources for information on this huge piece of artillery? This gun
reported inaccuracy and uselessness in 'The Arms of Krupp' by William
Manchester. Wheras other publications mention it as a decisive weapon in
the siege of Sevastopol. Any book on Krupp's weaponry devolopment different
from the previous would be greatly appreciated.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.995

Paul Ayotte.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 09:29:57 CDT
From:    Mike Seningen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: VARIOUS

The book I ras referring to the other day is

_The Battle of Hurtgen Forest : the untold story of a disastrous campaign_
by Charles Whiting -- I have it in paperback by Pocket Books under Milatary History.  Printed May 1990.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 17:31:36 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: GREETINGS

  Oslo, April 21.
  For Frode Weierud.  Thanks for your interesting message.  Glad
you have found my articles in the IHT and Aftenposten of interest.
As you will have noticed in the IHT, I have switched from writing
about current events the past few years to writing about the past
and about computing.
  I did not mean to suggest that I know how to locate documents
in the National Archieves online.  As I said in a recent message,
they do not even have fax.  I have learned what they had by writing,
and then have gone there to get most of the documents.  In brief,
my wife and I spent a day last October in the Washington, DC office
finding pictures and a day in Suitland, Maryland getting documents.
Since they had already located the documents which interested me
as a result of my letters, this simplified matters.  I read and
my wife copied.
  What took a long time was their getting around to mailing me some
documents which were not essential but which I wanted to have.  They
say they run three months behind, but it is more like six.
  Desk top publishing is too large a subject to deal with satisfactorily
in a message, and I do not have time to write an essay just now.
In brief, I got some books on the subject and then got advice from
various forums on Compuserve.
  I do not mean to push my book on you, but I do think it will give
you an idea of what is possible, for I spent a great deal of time
developing the layout.
  Even getting my flyer and press release, which will cost you
nothing, will give you a hint, but I would need your mailing address.
(No obligation.)

FOR MIKE SENINGEN
  Thanks for the name of the book.  I have not seen it, but, as you
will have gathered from my messages, I agree with the sentiments
conveyed by the title.  I will see if I can locate it here.
  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 17:00:50 GMT
From:    Stephen Casey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: IRELAND

On Tue, 20 Apr 1993 13:37:08 EST Larry Jewell said:
>>  During the period, only one pilot, an American, broke
>> parole and absconded. When he arrived in Belfast, the British sent him back
>to
>> the Republic. Towards the end of the War, the Allied fliers were all released
>> and sent back to England.
>
>  Can you give a reference or approximate date for this.  I'd like to see
>if the U.S. newspapers followed this story and how they reacted.  Interesting
>situation.  I'm suprised that only one parolee bolted.  I personally find
>confinement so *confining* :-).
>
>  Larry J

I can't at the moment give you an accurate date, but I asked my father,
who was in the army at the time, and he reckoned it was mid 1943, or
possibly even earlier.
The reason that only one person broke his parole was that, being an island,
there was little chance for the Germans to get back to the Continent, and the
Allies presumably put some constraints on their men to stop them escaping
and thus ruining comparitively liberal conditions for the rest of their
men. This is borne out by the fact that the one guy who did escape was promptly
returned by the British.
The other allied fliers were returned to Britain soon after D-Day and the
Second Front.

                        Stephen Casey

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 12:14:54 CDT
From:    Lee Short <[email-masked]>
Subject: Krupp's Gustav a.k.a. Dora

I remember von Manstein mentioning it in his memoirs, _Lost
Victories_, in the chapter on Sevastopol.  If my memory is correct, it
destroyed a Soviet ammo dump which was under 90 or so feet of rock.
It also took something like 2 flak regiments to protect.

Lee

Lee Short   [email-masked]         Attlee reminds me of nothing so much as
Software Janitor                 a recently dead fish, before it has had
Hughes Training, Inc.            time to stiffen.
Minneapolis, MN                    --  George Orwell

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 11:14:04 -0400
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Kwajalein

I had an opportunity recently to talk with a former navigator who
flew with a US Marine bomb squadron.  They flew PBJ-1s, which was
the Marine designation for the B-25 Mitchell.  He told me the
USAAF apparently had a surplus of B-25s and so the Marines were
given enough aircraft to equip six squadrons, even though they
weren't quite sure what to do with them.  At the time, there
weren't any Marine pilots qualified on multi-engine aircraft.

His was the only Marine squadron to fly the PBJ-1H model, which
was equivalent to the B-25H.  The "G" and "H" models of the B-25
were gunships, equipped with a 75mm cannon and a variable number
of .50 cal machine guns in the nose of the aircraft.  Their
aircraft carried 4 machine guns in the nose, with the "package guns"
on the side of the fuselage removed.  They also removed the turret
behind the cockpit, replacing it with an astrodome for navigation
fixes.  The aircraft carried a radome on the right wingtip.

Having read of the problems using the 75 mm gun (they usually
carried 21 rounds, some had to be hand loaded; problems with
actually hitting anything with it; the aircraft tended to stop
in midair every time a round was fired, etc.), I asked him if
they had ever been able to do much with it.  He replied that they
did surprise a Japanese destroyer once, and fired 20 rounds at
it, making 20 holes in the water, and the the gun had jammed on
the last round.

His squadron operated independently, usually flying single plane
sorties.  One of the places they were based was Kwajalein, a 6.5
square mile island in the Marshall Islands.  He loaned me a
videotape which had been made from 8mm home movie footage shot by
the squadron's doctor on Kwajalein in 1944.  The footage is mostly
of the men, the beaches, a sailboat, etc., with the PBJs mostly
appearing in the background.  He did film some of the different
aircraft at the island though, filming takeoffs or landings of a
B-24, C-46, C-47, C-54, with an F4U barely visible sitting in the
distance.

One segment of the film that I thought particularly interesting was
of a drive along a road near the ocean.  They come upon a stretch
with perhaps 30 windmills turning in the breeze.  As they draw
closer, you realize that the windmills are made of aircraft
propellers.  Stopping the jeep, the photographer gets out to shoot
a closeup of a windmill.  Under each one is a 55 gallon drum, and
the propellers are turning a gear mechanism driving an agitator.
You realize that these are wind-driven washing machines!

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 10:16:36 PDT
From:    william mertz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 1938-'41 Chronology

Thanks!  for the Chronology - it's pretty interesting when seen in that
fashion.  There's a well-known book on WWII by Reader's Digest (at least I
assume it's well-known because two of my friends and I have it).  Anyway
this book does a nice chronology in the back - kinda neat to see the order
of events so clearly.

Again, thanks for the message - like all the "declarations of war" by latin
american countries (Mexico, etc.).  Also thought it was interesting to see that
Poland declared war on Japan in 1941.

                                     -Bill

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 14:32:34 EDT
From:    Charles <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: about my father

Hi,

   Here's a couple of books that might be of use:

    TITLE Project Y, the Los Alamos story.
PUBLISHER Los Angeles : Tomash Publishers, c1983.
  DESCRIP xxvi, 506 p., [9] p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
   SERIES History of modern physics, 1800-1950 ; v. 2 * LAMS (Los Alamos
          Scientific Laboratory) ; 2532.
    NOTES Reprint. Originally published: Manhattan District history, Project Y,
          the Los Alamos Project. Los Alamos : Los Alamos Scientific
          Laboratory, University of California, 1961. (LAMS ; 2532) With new
          introd. * Includes bibliographies and indexes.
 CONTENTS pt. 1. Toward trinity / by David Hawkins -- pt. 2. Beyond Trinity /
          by Edith C. Truslow and Ralph Carlisle Smith.
OTHER AUT Hawkins, David, 1913- * Truslow, Edith C. * Smith, Ralph Carlisle,
          1910- * Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory.
OTHER TIL Manhattan District history, Project Y, the Los Alamos story.

                              ----------

    TITLE The Manhattan Project : a documentary introduction to the Atomic Age
          / edited by Michael B. Stoff, Jonathan F. Fanton, R. Hal Williams.
PUBLISHER Philadelphia : Temple University Press, c1991.
  DESCRIP xxi, 290 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
    NOTES Includes bibliographical references.
OTHER AUT Stoff, Michael B. * Fanton, Jonathan F., 1943- * Williams, R. Hal
          (Richard Hal), 1941-
 SUBJECTS Manhattan Project (U.S.) -- History. * Atomic bomb -- United States
          -- History.
  LC CARD    90011123
     ISBN 087722787X
  RLIN ID G91-B10607

                              ----------
   AUTHOR Serber, R. (Robert)
    TITLE The Los Alamos primer : the first lectures on how to build an atomic
          bomb / Robert Serber ; annotated by Robert Serber ; edited with an
          introduction by Richard Rhodes.
PUBLISHER Berkeley : University of California Press, c1992.
  DESCRIP xxxiii, 98 p., [8] p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
    NOTES Based on a set of 5 lectures given by R. Serber during the first two
          weeks of Apr. 1943 as an indoctrination course in connection with the
          starting of the Los Alamos Project. * Includes bibliographical
          references and index.
OTHER AUT Rhodes, Richard.
 SUBJECTS Manhattan Project (U.S.) -- History. * Los Alamos Scientific
          Laboratory -- History. * Atomic bomb -- United States -- History. *
          Physicists -- Biography.

                              ----------

   AUTHOR Wyden, Peter.
    TITLE Day one : before Hiroshima and after / Peter Wyden.
PUBLISHER New York : Simon and Schuster, c1984.
  DESCRIP 412 p., xxxii p. of plates : ill. ; 25 cm.
    NOTES Includes index. * Bibliography: p. 381-392.
 SUBJECTS Atomic bomb -- History. * World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. *
          Hiroshima-shi (Japan) -- Bombardment, 1945. * Japan -- History --
          1912-1945.
  LC CARD    84016060
     ISBN 0671461427
  RLIN ID G85-B6222

... I've actually read this last one, and its pretty good (its out in
paperback).

Hope this helps,

Charles

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 14:54:16 -0400
From:    "Mr. Scott Hannon" <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: saying MYITNGE

According to a book I'm reading, _American Guerilla_, by Hillsman,
the pronouciation for MYITKYINA is "mich chi naw". He wounded during
the battle for that town/airstrip, so he should know what he's talking
about.

My *guess* is thus that MYITNGE is said something like "mich en guh".

Scott.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 14:14:24 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Kwajalein

[B-25J/PBJ]
> Having read of the problems using the 75 mm gun (they usually
> carried 21 rounds, some had to be hand loaded; problems with
> actually hitting anything with it; the aircraft tended to stop
> in midair every time a round was fired, etc.), I asked him if
> they had ever been able to do much with it.  He replied that they
> did surprise a Japanese destroyer once, and fired 20 rounds at
> it, making 20 holes in the water, and the the gun had jammed on
> the last round.

Well, the _Army Air Corp_ was able to hit things with it.  :-)

Actually, the 7mm cannon was very effective against shipping, but it was
a very tricky technique that really required some practice.  The technique
was used pretty heavily in the Mediterranean where it did a lot of damage
to shipping.  B-25 sweeps over the ocean were pretty common until mid-1944
when shipping was basically immaterial to the Axis war effort.

There are some really strange or amusing (depending on your point of
view) stories about the cannon firing bombers... One gentleman I know
of (and have confirmed the story :-) tells about the time he was flying
his B-25G someplace and got jumped by two Zeros.  For whatever reason,
they chose a head on attack.

Thinking this was stupid (four guns in the nose plus the four cheek-pack
machine guns still in place and two in a turret if necessary), he flipped
his column control to guns and proceeded to open fire on the Zero coming
straight at him.

Unfortunately, he missed the proper switch setting and had it set to
"cannon."  A 75mm shell was fired and made a direct hit right down the
center of the approaching fuselage.  He indicates that the largest piece
of debris he flew through was "no bigger than this" (hands indicating the
average size of a grapefruit).

Surprisingly, the other Zero turned tail and ran like hell.  :-)

[I'm honestly not sure how was the most shocked or surprised... The pilot,
the Japanese pilot who had enough time to say "uh" or the surviving one
who boogied and may have reported on the new U.S. secret weapon being
supplied to medium bomber gunships... :-)]

By the way, the legend of the B-25 stopping in mid-air was just that.
It does not pause at all, though the effect of the blast through the
fuselage and the jarring motion may make it feel that way.

But the cannon _did_ occasionally jam.  There are more than a few stories
about a round getting jammed in the breach and suddenly firing "sometime
later when you aren't expecting it."  Shudder.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force
  You know you've made a gear-up landing when it takes full power to taxi.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 21:38:45 +0200
From:    Chris Scogings <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Reader's Digest Book

In a previous posting:

>There's a well-known book on WWII by Reader's Digest ...

Yes, this book is a MUST.  IMHO, definitely the best overall view of the
war.  It's called The World at Arms - the Reader's Digest History of World
War II published by Reader's Digest.

Good chronology of events at the back and interesting statistics on sizes of
armed forces, numbers of military and civilian dead, etc.

It really helps you get a different perspective on things to see things like

USA civilians killed - less than 100
Chinese civilians killed - over 13 million

Chris
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Scogings                      Voice: (27) 331 955645
Computer Science Dept                 Fax: (27) 331 955599
University of Natal
Pietermaritzburg                   E-Mail:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 13:54:25 EDT
From:    rod holmes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ref: U.S. Army War College E-mail address?

Howdy,

        I remember that the US Army War College's bibliography can be
accesed by email but I can't remember the address. Can someone please help
me out?

Thanks,
Rod Holmes
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 23:42:15 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF 17 APR 43

> Emmanuel,
> What is the name and ISBN number of the book?
>

The U.S. Strategic Bomber, R. Freeman, published by Macdonald and Jane's,
London, 1975; ISBN 0 356 08096 x. 160 pages, but from 115 onward are appendices.

Emmanuel.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 23:44:53 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Myitnge Bridge

> 29 Apr 43: Well, stay tuned for this continuing drama which will continue
> until June 1944

Well, that is 1.5 year for a bridge. Does anyone know of more long-living
bridges?

(Not exactly WWII, but the Than Hoa bridge in Vietnam was under air attack 873
times from 3 April 1965 to 13 May 1972, when it was finally destroyed -- Maybe
setting a record.)

Emmanuel.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 16:26:00 -0800
From:    Stephen Fox <[email-masked]>
Subject: Rhode Island Listees

Rhode Islanders:

I need to find an obituary for a man who died in Barrington, RI, in
1979.  If you have access to Barrington newspapers - or perhaps some
from Providence - and are willing to do a quick search, please con-
tact me privately.

Thanks.

ex
********************************************
*       Steve Fox                          *
*       History Department                 *
*       Humboldt State University          *
*       Arcata, CA  95521                  *
*       (707) 826-4788                     *
*       [email-masked]              *
********************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 1993 22:12:36 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: VARIOUS

John, and other interested parties, my scanning equipment is now fully
functional (as peek a "byrd" might indicate :-), so if there's a document
you'd like to see, and I can track it down at Purdue or in the area, send
a note and I'll scan in a copy and send it along.  (I think that was
a sentence :-).

I've not gotten the .gif images to come out to my satisfaction yet, but
I'm closer and how to include maps and graphs, etc. with future uploads
to byrd.

If I receive multiple requests for documents, I will consider value to
the list as a whole, size of document, historical interest, and the
difficulty in locating the requested document in ordering priorities.

Some of you other folks with scanners and good libraries available might
pitch in and lend a hand if you have some free time this summer.  Please
remember that copyrighted material is not allowed on this list and not
suitable for byrd.  What you do by private mail is the business of the
consenting adults involved.

Larry J

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 21 Apr 1993 to 22 Apr 1993
*************************************************