Subject: WWII-L Digest - 22 May 1993 to 23 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1993 00:00:11 -0400

There are 3 messages totalling 78 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. TECH: Dog soldiers
  2. National Geographic Special
  3. REF: famous photo of Hitler, maybe???

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 23 May 1993 01:16:34 -0400
From:    Akira Takiguchi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TECH: Dog soldiers

     Doesn't the WWII magazine show references?  I read about the
mine dogs in Carell's classic _Unternehmen Barbarossa_.  His _Unternehmen
Barbarossa im Bild_ shows a photograph of a captured mine dog.  Both
books are also available in English version.

     Mine dogs from _Moscow tank hunter company_ were seen in the fall
of 1941 in Moscow front (reports from 3. Panzer Division and 18. Panzer
Division are told in the book).  They seemed to be seldom successful,
but later in the war partisan units also utilized (though rarely) mine
dogs.

Joe Barone wrote:
>The dogs would only be
>fed exclusively under running tanks with their saddlebags strapped
>on them (shades of Pavlov's experiments).

     They were trained under tractors (I think this is reasonable, since
tanks were greatly needed in the front).  But I also remember reading
the same story as told by Rod Holmes (don't remember the source, sorry).

     A recent TV show surprised me by showing present-day Russian (so I
remember - but I could be wrong) dogs being trained the same way!

References:
Carell _Unternehmen Barbarossa_ 1963 Verlag Ullstein [chapter 1.7]
Carell _Unternehmen Barbarossa im Bild_ 1967 Verlag Ullstein [page 69]
--
       Akira Takiguchi  at ATSON, Inc. (a subsidiary of the Asahi Shimbun)
                   WAKO GINZA bldg.  8-10-4 Ginza Chuo-ku Tokyo 104  Japan
   +81 3 3289 7051(voice) 7066(fax)  EMAIL TO <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 23 May 1993 16:11:28 MDT
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: National Geographic Special

Those member of this list living in the United States and Canada might
be interested in tuning in a National Geographic Explorer episode
tonight (Sunday) on WTBS at 9 pm Eastern.  One segment will deal with
exploring the sunken ships in the water around Guadacanal.

Also, I am trying a new option with my e-mail program that is
supposed to automatically add my signature to this message.  Will
someone on the list be kind enough to tell me the option worked?Steve Alvin
Dickinson State University
[email-masked]
**********************************************************************
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.--Proverb*
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat my class.-SA*
**********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 23 May 1993 20:58:41 EDT
From:    Robert E George <[email-masked]>
Subject: REF: famous photo of Hitler, maybe???

In S. Lorant's picture-book "Sieg Heil" there is a picture of a
crowd in Munich cheering at the outbreak of war in 1914. There were
hundreds if not thousands of people in that crowd. One small section
of the photo is "blown up" (a U.S. term to mean that the image in a photo
or part of a photo has been greatly enlarged) and seems to show Adolf Hitler
there.

I am curious about this picture. I don't have the picture in front of
me, but the enlarged image of Hitler seemed to depict him *older* than
he looked when photographed in France circa 1916-1917. I wonder, could
the photo be a hoax? Does anybody have any info?

Rob George

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 22 May 1993 to 23 May 1993
*************************************************