Subject: WWII-L Digest - 4 May 1993 to 5 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 00:00:40 -0400

There are 13 messages totalling 665 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 1 MAY 43
  2. USAAF 2 MAY 43
  3. USAAF 3 MAY 43
  4. USAAF 4 MAY 43 (3)
  5. USAAF 5 MAY 43
  6. World War II Radio Show
  7. World War II Commemorative Program, University of Georgia
  8. World War II Airman's Preservation Society
  9. <No subject given> (2)
 10. Rhode Island Listees

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 07:15:28 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 1 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 1 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, 16 attack missions on Kiska and Attu are flown by 16
B-24's, 15 B-25's, 35 P-38's, 38 P-40's, and 4 F-5A's. Kiska targets
include the Main Camp, hangar, submarine base (where a fire is started),
runway, radar, ship, North Head, AA guns and Gertrude Cove. Attu targets
include E Attu, Holtz Bay and Chichagof Harbor installations.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    In China, the forward echelon of the Fourteenth Air Force, under
Colonel Clinton D Vincent and Lieutenant Colonel David L ("Tex") Hill,
moves into E China along the Hengyang-Kweilin line. This brings US
aircraft within range of all major Japanese-held bases from N China to
Indochina and Thailand, and makes shipping in the China Sea more
vulnerable to US air strikes.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Bomber Command Mission No. 53: 78 B-17's are dispatched against the
Sainte-Nazaire, France U-boat base and shipyard. They find bad weather
over the target and only 29 B-17's hit the target between 1125 and 1131
hours local.  We claim 18-6-8 Luftwaffe aircraft; 7 B-17's are lost, 2
are damaged beyond repair and 20 others are damaged. Casualties are 3 KIA,
17 WIA and 73 MIA. At the same time, 24 B-24's fly a diversion along the
Brittany Coast.
  HQ 351st Bombardment Group (Heavy) arrives at Polebrook, England from
the US.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy, B-24's bomb the harbor at Reggio di Calibre.
    In Tunisia, P-40's bomb and strafe shipping and shore installations on
the NE coastline.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In the Mediterranean, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF)
B-26's and P-38's fly uneventful shipping sweeps.
    In Tunisia, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters and
A-20's hit shipping in the Gulf of Tunis and jetties at Sidi Daoud and
Kelibia, and attack positions in the NE Tunisian battle area as Allied
ground forces regroup for the final Tunisian offensive.
    During the month of May, the 2d Air Defense Wing transfers from Oran,
Algeria to Maison Blanche, Algeria. The wing will be redesignated the 63d
Fighter Wing in Jul 43.
    During the month of May, the 15th Bombardment Squadron (Light),
Twelfth Air Force with A-20's and A-36's transfers from Nouvion, Algeria
to Sale, French Morocco. The squadron flew the first USAAF mission in
Europe but is now relegated to a training role.
    The 81st and 82d Bombardment Squadrons (Medium), 12th Bombardment
Group (Medium) with B-25's transfer from Canrobert, Algeria to Thibar,
Tunisia.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-24's bomb the landing strip at Nabire and hit a vessel
in Manokwari harbor.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 07:17:28 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 2 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SUNDAY, 2 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  Zeke, Mitsubishi A6M, Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, 6 B-25's, 8 P-40's, and 8 P-38's fly bombing,
photographic and attack missions to Kiska. Targets include North Head,
South Head and buildings and AA gun batteries on Gertrude Cove.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    In China, 17 P-40's intercept 30-40 fighters near Lingling and in a
running battle to just N of Changsha claim at least 7 Zekes downed. One
P-40 is shot down.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, P-40's attack shipping off the coast.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Tunisia, bad weather restricts the Northwest African Strategic Air
Force (NASAF) to reconnaissance missions. Northwest African Tactical Air
Force (NATAF) fighters hit tank and troop concentrations near Massicault
and Tebourba and fly battle area reconnaissance as the US II Corps
occupies Kef en Nsour while the enemy withdraws toward Bizerte.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, B-17's on harassing strikes hit the Rekata Bay area and
Munda Airfield. P-38's and P-39's join Navy aircraft in pounding the
runway area at Munda.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In Timor, B-25's bomb Penfoei.
  In New Guinea, other B-25's  unsuccessfully attack a vessel off Toeal. A
single B-17 bombs dock area at Finschhafen.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 07:20:05 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 3 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 3 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, 7 B-24's, 11 B-25's, 20 P-38's, 27 P-40's and 2 F-5A's
participate in a weather reconnaissance mission to Attu and in 9 attack
missions to Kiska. Kiska targets include the Main Camp, North Head, radar,
and runway.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  In Iceland, Lieutenant General Frank M. Andrews, the USAAF officer who
is Commanding General European Theater of Operations, U.S. Army (ETOUSA),
is killed in an aircraft crash while landing. There has been speculation
over the years whether Andrews instead of Eisenhower would have commanded
the Allied forces in Europe if he had lived. Camp Springs Army Air Field,
Camp Springs, Maryland was renamed Andrews Army Air Field (now Air Force
Base) in 1945 in his memory.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, P-40's fly fighter-bomber missions against a bridge,
buildings, and docks in the NE part of the country.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Tunisia, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-25's bomb
a landing ground near Protville and B-17's hit shipping at Bizerte.
Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters fly numerous
reconnaissance missions over the battle area as Mateur falls to the US 1st
Armored Division. Other fighters escort NASAF bombers. Fighter-bombers
bomb the Massicault area.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, P-40's and P-38's join Navy dive bombers and fighters
in attacks on buildings and AA positions in the Rekata Bay area.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-25's strafe the airfield at Gasmata while
a B-17 strafes launches N of Lolobau Island, claiming 1 boat sunk.
  HQ 54th Troop Carrier Wing transfers from Brisbane, Queensland,
Australia to Port Moresby, New Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 07:23:39 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 4 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 4 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  LB-30, Consolidated Liberator
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS
  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutians, 5 B-24's, 6 B-25's, 8 P-38's, 2 P-40's and 2 F-5A's
take off on 2 Kiska and Attu missions. Missions to Kiska abort due to
weather. At Attu targets include Chichagof Harbor, AA positions at Holtz
Bay, and a floatplane.
  The 36th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 28th Composite Group with B-24's
transfers from Fort Greeley on Kodiak Island to Amchitka Island.

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force)
    The 397th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 6th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
with B-24's and LB-30's transfers from Talara, Peru to Rio Hato, Panama.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    In French Indochina, 18 B-24's bomb dock installations, coal yards,
and oil storage area at Samah on Hainan Island; 9 B-25's pound docks at
Haiphong; 19 P-40's escort B-17's and B-25's to Hanoi and then proceed
with B-25's to Haiphong and strafe the target area following the bombing
strike.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Bomber Command Mission No. 54: 79 B-17's are dispatched against the
former Ford and General Motors plants at Antwerp, Belgium; 65 aircraft
hit the target between 1839 and 1843 hours local. We claim 10-0-2 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 16 B-17's are damaged.  Casualties are 3 WIA.  The B-17's are
escorted by 117 P-47C's up to 175 miles (280 km) from base. A diversion is
flown by 20 B-17's and 13 B-24's towards the French coast arousing more
than 100 German fighters (about half of the total number in the region) and
keeping many of them airborne long enough to prevent their attacking the
main effort. None of the 33 diversionary aircraft are damaged or lost.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy, B-24's attack shipping at Reggio di Calabria and Taranto.
    In Tunisia, B-25's hit Zaghouan, including a landing ground and a road
running to Bou Ficha. P-40's fly sea patrol and escort, as well as
fighter-bomber missions in the Zaghouan area.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Tunisia, weather restricts Northwest African Strategic Air Force
(NASAF) operations to a reconnaissance and uneventful shipping sweep;
Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters attack gun positions
and vehicles near Zaghouan and Massicault and at other points in the
surrounding areas. A-20's and medium bombers hit Zaghouan in support of
the French advance.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, B-17's fly snooper strikes during the night of 3/4 May
against Vila Airfield and the Rekata Bay area. P-40's join Navy aircraft
in a strike on Vangavanga.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-24's bomb Babo and the town area, harbor, and shipping
at Wewak.
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, single B-24's hit barges off the N coast of
New Britain.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 08:13:57 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 5 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 5 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  F4U, Vought Corsair (USN)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, the weather reconnaissance airplane over Attu observes
a floatplane burning on the water. Fourteen B-24's, 17 B-25's, 16 P-38's,
32 P-40's, and 5 F-5A's fly 4 attack missions to Attu and 6 [partly with
Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) pilots] to Kiska. Bombs are dropped on
Attu installations and fighters strafe and set afire 1 seaplane and
silence AA guns. Targets include Main Camp, a radar site, North and South
Head, runway, and Gertrude Cove installations.

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  The 73d Fighter Squadron, 318th Fighter Group with P-40's transfers from
NAS Kaneohe to Mokuleia both in the Territory of Hawaii. The squadron will
begin transitioning to razorback P-47D's in late 1943.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, P-40's strafe and bomb a bridge, vessels, docks,
warehouses, and other buildings at Nabeul harbor.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-l7's bomb a
vessel off Capo San Vito.
    In Italy, B-25's and B-26's bomb shipping off Marettimo Island.
    In Tunisia, NASAF B-17's hit Tunis harbor and attack ships and docks
at La Goulette. B-25's and B-26's bomb shipping E of Cape Zebib, and hit a
landing ground at Galaat el Andeless and near Protville. Northwest African
Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters and bombers fly 6 missions against
strongholds on the NE and E slopes of Djebel Bou Aoukaz as the British 5
Corps' 1 Division attacks and gains the position. Fighters hit shipping in
Gulf of Tunis and attack landing grounds and concentrations near
Protville. Wellingtons bomb roads at Bir Meherga.
    After regrouping and re-equipping, HQ 14th Fighter Group and it's 37th
and 49th Fighter Squadrons with P-38's transfer from Mediouna, French
Morocco to Telergma, Algeria.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, P-38's and Navy F4U's administer thorough strafing to
Nyanga.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-25's pound Toeal.
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, a lone B-24 bombs airfields at Cape
Gloucester and Gasmata.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 10:20:06 -0400
From:    "M. Joseph Barone" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF 4 MAY 43

> EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
> ...A diversion is
> flown by 20 B-17's and 13 B-24's towards the French coast arousing more
> than 100 German fighters (about half of the total number in the region) and
> keeping many of them airborne long enough to prevent their attacking the
> main effort. None of the 33 diversionary aircraft are damaged or lost.

Do the bombers of the diversionary force carry a full load of bombs?
Do they carry any bombs?  Thanks.
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
German Tanker: You?  You're the American Army!
      Oddball: No, baby, we're not.
        Kelly: Think of us as a private venture.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 11:33:48 EDT
From:    "Dr. John C. Edwards" <[email-masked]>
Subject: World War II Radio Show

     WUGA, 91.7FM is producing a one-hour documentary centering on two U.S.
citizens who broadcast Nazi propaganda during World War II.  Entitled BERLIN
CALLING, the program is based on a book of the same title written by John
Edwards, an archivist with the University of Georgia Libraries.
     BERLIN CALLING deals with the lives of Robert Best of Spartanburg, South
Carolina, and Jane Anderson, of Atlanta, both of whom moved to Berlin during
the War to become mouthpieces for Hitler's propaganda ministry.  The program
will include interviews with historians and people who actually knew the
subjects, and will feature dramatic recreations as well as actual tape of the
half-century old broadcasts.
     Writer and producer David Bryant says "Each of them had distinct reasons
for abandoning the United States.  Anderson's story is somewhat of an adventure
tale, while Best's is more of a morality play or psycho-drama."
     Scheduled for completion by the end of this year, BERLIN CALLING will be
distributed nationally through National Public Radio in early 1994.  The
program is being written and produced by WUGA's Bryant, with author Edwards
providing informational support.
Interested individuals may contact David Bryant (706)542-1226 or
John Edwards (706)542-5766 or e-mail [email-masked].

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 11:57:13 EDT
From:    "Dr. John C. Edwards" <[email-masked]>
Subject: World War II Commemorative Program, University of Georgia

     The final conference of The University of Georgia's World War II series
focuses on the war in terms of recent historiography and of popular thought
through contemporary fiction.  Novelist Bill Diehl, author of "27" will
discuss his own experiences as a veteran and as a writer.  Professors James
Nagel, author of HEMINGWAY IN LOVE AND WAR, and James Kilgo, author of FIVE
AMERICAN NOVELS OF WORLD WAR II, will join Mr. Diehl for a discussion of
writing wartime fiction.  Former Congressman Robert G. Stephens, Jr. and
Professors Albert G. Steer and Rolf Bargmann will present the second session
on the Nuremberg Trialsand their respective roles in this historic event.
Dean Rusk Professor of International RelationsMartin Hillenbrand will moderate
and comment on the Allied deNazification program in occupiedGermany.  In the
last session, Gerhard Weinberg (Kenan Professor of History at the University
of North Carolina and author of WORLD IN THE BALANCE:  BEHIND THE SCENES OF
WORLD WAR II), Robert Herzstein (Carolina Professor of History at the
University of South Carolina and author of THE WAR THAT HITLER WON), and
Earl Ziemke (veteran, Research Professor of History at UGA, and author of
BATTLE FOR BERLIN, END OF THIRD REICH) will look at issues underlying the
global struggle, the nature of the conflict, and the consequences and results
of the war.
     For further information  contact Sheryl Vogt (706)542-0619 or
John Edwards (706)542-5766.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 12:15:41 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: World War II Airman's Preservation Society

I recently joined the World War II Airman's Preservation Society, which
is an organization of collectors and historians who re-enact, or attempt
to re-enact insome small way, and display what both flight and ground
personnel in the U.S. Army Air Forces around the world.

The WWII APS is set up as the 91st Bomb Group, 8th Air Force stationed
at Bassenbourn, England, with all of it's subordinate units.  Members
who wish to portray flight crew are assigned a position on a crew, as
well as an aircraft tail number and name.  At events where WWII aircraft
are present, living displays are set up, where members stand by the
aircraft and inform spectators of the role of each individual in the
crew (eg--I am the Navigator, My job is to......).  Ground crews do much
the same.The WWII APS is invited to many different airshows where WWII
aircraft are present, and are attending events such as the Memphis Belle
50th Anniversary of her last combat mission, and the 8th Air Force
reunion.

The WWII APS sets very high standards for authenticity, and personal
appearance.  USAAF hair standards of 1942 are enforced, and uniforms
must be original, or perfect reproductions.  It requires an outlay of to
set up a uniform, and then however large a display you wish to prepare.
I've seen several members of the WWII APS in full kit before, and they
look sharp.  Authenticity is a stckler---if you aren't interested in
doing it well, don't consider joining.

If you are interested in joining, there are several wings across the
United States, to include St. Louis, Chicago, Ohio and Pennsylvania.  It
cost $5 a year to join, for which you receive their newsletter,
"Contrails".  For further information, contact me by phone or E-mail, or
contact Jim Otto, 10657 St Veronica Court, St. Ann, MO 63074.

In the future, I will post an updated WWII HRS, and a WWII APS calender.

Please feel free to repost this on other any other list.

Tim A. Scherrer CPT, USAAF, Intelligence Officer, 91st Bomb Group, WWII
APS Obergefreiter, 11th Panzer Division, WWII HRS 1LT, MI, USAR (I think
I need a couple more ranks and titles)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 14:35:38 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: USAAF 4 MAY 43

        > EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
        > ...A diversion is
        > flown by 20 B-17's and 13 B-24's towards the French coast arousing more
        > than 100 German fighters (about half of the total number in the region) and
        > keeping many of them airborne long enough to prevent their attacking the
        > main effort. None of the 33 diversionary aircraft are damaged or lost.

        Do the bombers of the diversionary force carry a full load of bombs?
        Do they carry any bombs?  Thanks.

There were diversionary raids where the bombers actually dropped
bombs on a lesser target.  But in the diversion flown above, they
normally did not carry bombs but just flew towards a target to get
the Luftwaffe up.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 4 May 1993 16:00:46 -0400
From:    NNTP server account <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

Newsgroups: mail.wwii-l
Path: kean.ucs.mun.ca!noller
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Piece of Cake - A Novel about the Battle of Britain
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Lines: 8
Sender: [email-masked] (NNTP server account)
Organization: Memorial University. St.John's Nfld, Canada
Date: Tue, 4 May 1993 20:58:55 GMT

I just finished reading Derick Robinson's "Piece of Cake". It follows the
fictional 'Hornet Sqn" from Britain's declaration of war on Germany to the
last of the Battle of Britain. I would highly recommend it to any air force
enthusiast; it even has a shit disturbing Yank in it for good measure (a
thouroughly delightful character to be sure).    ;^)

Mike, Memorial University

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 4 May 1993 15:50:34 -0400
From:    NNTP server account <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

Newsgroups: mail.wwii-l
Path: kean.ucs.mun.ca!noller
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Narvic
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Lines: 9
Sender: [email-masked] (NNTP server account)
Organization: Memorial University. St.John's Nfld, Canada
Date: Tue, 4 May 1993 20:49:09 GMT

Re: German forces in Norway and British failure to seize Narvic:

According to Liddel-Hart's "History of the Second World War", the British
were planning to invade Norway just before Germany's landings in that
country. Yes, they planned to kill any Norge who got in their way. Liddel-
Hart also mentions that charging German officers with the invasion of Norway
was one of the great hipocracies of the war. Interesting.

Mike, Memorial University

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 May 1993 20:25:00 PST
From:    Stephen Fox <[email-masked]>
Subject: Rhode Island Listees

Thanks to all of you who responded to my message about the death notice.
I received a package from Steven Gomes Monday with everything I need.

This is a good example (as far as I am concerned) of the inestimable value
of the list and e-mail in general.  Thanks again!!!!!

        Steve

ex
********************************************
*       Steve Fox                          *
*       History Department                 *
*       Humboldt State University          *
*       Arcata, CA  95521                  *
*       (707) 826-4788                     *
*       [email-masked]              *
********************************************

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 4 May 1993 to 5 May 1993
***********************************************