Subject: WWII-L Digest - 19 May 1993 to 20 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1993 00:00:34 -0400

There are 10 messages totalling 510 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 20 MAY 43
  2. USN 22 MAY 43
  3. Kradshuetzen Bataillon part 1 (3)
  4. Detailed engine installation (fwd) (2)
  5. TECH: Dog soldiers
  6. INF: Miss Mitchell shows
  7. Kradshuetzen Bataillon part 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 07:14:32 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 20 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 20 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, all air-ground support missions to Attu are cancelled
due to weather. 20 P-40's bomb the Main Camp and submarine area at Kiska,
and strafe barges in the harbor. The remaining Japanese on Attu are
concentrated in the Chichagof Harbor area.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    The 490th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 341st Bombardment Squadron
(Medium) based at Ondal, India begins operating from Chakulia, India with
B-25's.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  The 524th, 525th, 526th and 527th Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 379th
Bombardment Group (Heavy) arrive at Kimbolton, England from the US with
B-17F's. They will fly their first mission on 29 May 43.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In the Mediterranean, P-40's escort ships and fly sea patrol off Cap
Bon and in the Kelibia area.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sardinia during the night of l9/2O May, Northwest African Strategic
Air Force (NASAF) Wellingtons bomb Villacidro and Decimomannu Airfields.
During the day, P-38's bomb Milis Airfield and targets of opportunity at
Bonorva while B-25's bomb Villacidro, Alghero, and Decimomannu Airfields
    In Italy, P-38's bomb the docks on the Gulf of Aranci, a railroad
bridge NE of Perfugas, the Macomer rail junction, and targets of
opportunity at Sassari, Bonnanaro, and Chilivani while B-17's strike
Grosseto Airfield.
    In the Mediterranean, P-38's and P-40's strafe and bomb Pantelleria
Island.
    HQ 33d Fighter Group and it's 59th Fighter Squadron transfer with
P-40's from Ebba Ksour, Tunisia to Menzel Temime, Tunisia.
    The 2d, 4th and 5th Fighter Squadrons, 52d Fighter Group transfer with
Spitfires from Le Sers, Tunisia to La Sebala, Tunisia.
    The 12th Troop Carrier Squadron, 60th Troop Carrier Group transfers
with C-47's from Tafaraoui, Algeria to Relizane, Algeria.
    The 308th Fighter Squadron, 31st Fighter Group transfers with
Spitfires from Le Sers, Tunisia to Korba, Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons during the night of 20/21 May, heavy bombers on snooper
missions bomb he Kahili area and Ballale Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, the airfield and surrounding areas on
Gasmata Island are hit by A-20's during the night of 20/21 May and by
B-17's during the day. B-17's and B-24's bomb Vunakanau Airfield.
  In New Guinea, B-25's sink several barges offshore between Madang and
Cape Cretin.
  HQ 3d Bombardment Group (Dive) transfers from Port Moresby, New Guinea
to Dobodura, New Guinea.  The group and it's 4 squadrons will be
redesignated Bombardment Group/Squadron (Light) on 25 May to reflect their
true aircraft.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 07:36:05 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USN 22 MAY 43

NAVY NEWS SERVICE - 19 MAY 93 - NAVNEWS 038/93
NNS390.  This Week in the Navy:  May 22, 1943
                               -USN-
NNS390.  This Week in the Navy:
May 22, 1943 -- The Grumman Avengers of VC-9, based on USS Bogue,
attacked and sank the submarine U-569 in the middle north Atlantic,
scoring the first sinking of the war by escort carriers on hunter-
killer patrol.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 08:00:42 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Kradshuetzen Bataillon part 1

OK, this is what I could find in the German Organizational Series.  This
was the first time I ever really used these books--they are a wealth of
information, but rather confuding to use at first.

 2nd Kradshetzen Bataillon, 2nd Panzer Division KStN 1109 (10 05 40)

 HQ Motorcycle Infantry Battalion BN HQ, HQ Section-5 Mtrcyc, 3 mtrcyc
with s/c, 1 medium cross country (cc) personnel carrier (m Einheits
PKW), 1 medium cc personnel carrier (Horch 830-R)

 1 Light Radio Section- 1 medium cc radio carrier

 2 Light Telephone Sections- 1 medium cc signals carrier each

 2 Pack Radio Sections- 1 light cc radio carrier (BMW 309)

 2 Light Armored Radio Signals Sections, 1 Light Armored Radio Car
(Sdkfz 261)

 3 Motorcycle Infantry Companies KStN 1111 (1 10 37)

 Company Headquarters--HQ Section- 3 mtrcyc, 1 mtrcyc with s/c, 1 medium
cc personnel carrier (m Einheits PKW), 1 heavy cc personnel carrier (m
Einheits PKW)

 Machine Gun Detachment- 10 mtrcyc with s/c, 2 HMG's

3 Motorcycle Platoons--HQ section- 2 mtrcyc, 1 medium cc personnel
carrier (m Einheits PKW), 1 heavy cc personnel carrier (m Einheits PKW)

3 Infantry Squads- 3 mtrcyc with s/c, --1 infantry squad with 1 LMG --1
mortar 50mm

Akira's book says that KStN1112 is for a motorcycle infantry company--my
book shows KStN 1112 as a motorized Infantry Company in a Schuetzen
Abteilung.

The 2nd Motorcycle Infantry Battalion is listed as being different than
the other Motorcycle Infantry Battalions due to it having 3 Motorcycle
Infantry Companies versus one in other formations.  What isn't clear to
me is whether or not that means the three companies are in addition to
theMotorcycle Machine Gun Battalion, the Motorized Heavy Company and the
Engineer Platoon, or a replacment for them (HQ, 3 Companies and
Engineers versus HQ, 3 Companies, 2 specialized Companies and
Engineers).

I will post the TO&E     for the MG Company, Motorized Heavy Company and
Engineers later.

BTW, KStN means Table of Organization and Equipment.

Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 09:34:08 EDT
From:    Lowe Barrett MAJ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Kradshuetzen Bataillon part 1

Tim,

Good poop.

Barry

Barrett F. Lowe                    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
MAJ, IN
Dept of Physics, US Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 10:36:53 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Kradshuetzen Bataillon part 1

Apparently my first post went out to you all (to use my Missouri slang),
but it didn't make it to me.  Could somebody forward me a copy.  I'll
post the rest of it tommorrow.  Lowe--thanks for the complement--it's
always great to hear a compliment from an Infantry guy to an MI guy on
the information we've provided---Thanks in advance--Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 11:00:29 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Detailed engine installation (fwd)

Anybody on the list know anything about airplanes?

Larry (yes, I'm ducking) J

Forwarded message:
> From @VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU:[email-masked] Thu May 20 09:59:23 1993
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date:         Thu, 20 May 1993 10:50:31 -0400
> Reply-To: Military History <@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU:MILHST-L@UKANVM>
> Sender: Military History <@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU:MILHST-L@UKANVM>
> From: Peter Maclean <[email-masked]>
> Subject:      Re: Detailed engine installation
> To: Multiple recipients of list MILHST-L
>               <@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU:MILHST-L@UKANVM>
>
> I'm looking for detailed engine installation photos, ideally Curtiss
> manufacturer's photos, of the B-29. Available books are short on this
> kind of information.
>
> Peter Maclean
> <University of Toronto
> 416-978-2279
> [email-masked]
>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 11:18:24 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Detailed engine installation (fwd)

> Anybody on the list know anything about airplanes?
>
> Larry (yes, I'm ducking) J
>
> Forwarded message:
> > From @VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU:[email-masked] Thu May 20 09:59:23
> 1993
> > Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> > Date:         Thu, 20 May 1993 10:50:31 -0400
> > Reply-To: Military History <@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU:MILHST-L@UKANVM>
> > Sender: Military History <@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU:MILHST-L@UKANVM>
> > From: Peter Maclean <[email-masked]>
> > Subject:      Re: Detailed engine installation
> > To: Multiple recipients of list MILHST-L
> >               <@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU:MILHST-L@UKANVM>
> >
> > I'm looking for detailed engine installation photos, ideally Curtiss
> > manufacturer's photos, of the B-29. Available books are short on this
> > kind of information.
> >
> > Peter Maclean
> > <University of Toronto
> > 416-978-2279
> > [email-masked]

_CURRENT_ ones might be available.

The CAF's B-29 Fifi just underwent a four engine change and overhaul
(with a couple of extra removal/re-installations just to keep people
on their toes).

They would certainly have all technical information necessary.  Whether
that includes photographs or not, I dunno.

Contact: Doug Jeanes, Maintenance Officer, CAF Headquarters.  915/563-1000.

[Taking a low bead on Larry... :-)]

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force
  You know you've made a gear-up landing when it takes full power to taxi.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 12:40:20 -0400
From:    "M. Joseph Barone" <[email-masked]>
Subject: TECH: Dog soldiers

        In the latest issue of World War II magazine was an article
about the Soviets training dogs with 26 pounds of explosives strapped
to them to crawl under German tanks to detonate.  I had never heard of
this so I thought perhaps this might be news to others on this list as
well.

        In the early part of the war, the Soviets were experimenting
with many different anti-tank methods.  One such was to strap two
saddlebags, each with 13 pounds of explosives, onto dogs with a
plunger-type detonator with a safety pin.  The dogs would only be
fed exclusively under running tanks with their saddlebags strapped
on them (shades of Pavlov's experiments).  While the safety pin was
in place, there was little danger of a training mishap.  Eventually
the dogs would become accustomed to the noise of a tank and knew to
crawl under a tank to search for food.  Then the animals would then
be starved for a couple of days and moved to the battlefront.  There,
the safety pin would be removed and the dogs would be released in the
direction of German armor formations.  The dogs would close with the
unsuspecting Germans and crawl under their tanks, detonating their
payloads with devastating results.

        At first the Germans were unaware of what what going on.  After
a while, though, they had discovered dogs killed in the vicinity of
an action before they could detonate and noted their deadly cargo.  To
the Germans, a dog loving people, this struck them as bizarre and inhumane
(talk about pots and kettles!).  Soon, German sharpshooters were picking
off any dogs that they came upon.

        As it turned out, by the time the Germans were countering this
strategy, the Soviets stopped using the dogs.  The reason for their
retirement was that, as more Russian armor became available, the dogs
had a tendency to crawl under the closer vehicles!  No amount of
training could make the dogs differentiate between German and Russian
armor!

        This sounded so much like the bat-bombs that the US was developing,
I just had to share it!
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Look, Colonel, you have to think of us as tourists.  We just
want to know which hotels to stay at when we get to Nancy.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 16:31:14 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Miss Mitchell shows

Sorry for the shameless marketeering, but I don't care.  :-)

About a dozen or so people over the last few months have been asking
me to provide a list of where our B-25J Mitchell "Miss Mitchell" (Best
B-25, Oshkosh '92 (out of 9)) will be appearing.

Unfortunately, I have misplaced many of the names, so everyone's gonna
get the info. :-)

Currently Touring Aircraft:

        B-25J Mitchell: "Miss Mitchell," 12 year restoration.  12th Air
                        Force, 57th Bomb Wing, 310th Bomb Group, 380th
                        Bomb Squadron.  Natural aluminum, Varga art on
                        nose.  Yellow and blue stripes on tail.  Blue
                        spinners.

        Harvard Mk IV:  Canadian Car and Foundry built (licensed) North
                        American AT-6 Texan.  Silver with inboard wing
                        roots yellow.  In RCAF markings.

        Vultee BT-13A:  Basic trainer used before transitioning into the
                        AT-6.  Fixed gear.  Natural aluminum with Type-1
                        USAAF markings (roundel without bar and red and
                        white striped rudder.  Red cowling ring.

These are confirmed, but more shows will appear.  It'll be obvious that
we're staying close to home for the time being.  If you go to one of these
shows, do me two favors:

        1) Leave a card or something with your name on it address to me so
           I know you were there (it REALLY baffles the people who work the
           shows when people from all over the country know me :-)

        2) Buy stuff.  We need the money.  Buy lots of stuff.  :-)

May     28-31   Wichita, Kansas         B-25 Miss Mitchell
June    19-20   Mason City, Iowa        B-25 Miss Mitchell
June    19-20   Ottumwa, Iowa           BT-13A & Harvard Mk IV
June    21      Forest City, Iowa       B-25 Miss Mitchell
July    10-11   Quad City, Iowa         B-25 Miss Mitchell
July    16-18   Hibbing, Minnesota      B-25 Miss Mitchell, BT & Harvard (*)
July    22-25   Offutt AFB, Nebraska    B-25 Miss Mitchell (**)
Aug     6-8     St. Paul, Minnesota     BLOW OUT.  :-)  (***)
Aug     8       Rapid City, So. Dakota  B-25 Miss Mitchell (probable)
Aug     27-29   Owatonna, Minnesota     BT-13A & Harvard Mk IV
Sept    4-5     Newton, Iowa            B-25 Miss Mitchell, BT & Harvard
Oct     9-10    Midland, Texas          B-25 Miss Mitchell, et. al. (****)

(*)     Major show with appearances by the Blue Angels, Golden Knights, a half
        million military bands, concerts, etc.
(**)    Confirmed, though maybe on the "concerned" column.
(***)   Annual Southern Minnesota Wing static display with 30 aircraft
        featuring the B-17, F7F Tigercat with all other WWII Cats, guests
        like Alex Zuyev, U.S. Fighter Squadron, etc.  Cool.  :-)
(****)  CAF's Airsho! 93.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force
  You know you've made a gear-up landing when it takes full power to taxi.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 May 1993 20:41:38 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Kradshuetzen Bataillon part 2

Thanks for sending me my own post---I'm not sure what happened with our
system here--but I'm glad it went out.

OK---this is part 2, which covers the other parts of the Motorcycle
Infantry Battalion.

Motorcycle Machine Gun Comapany KStN 1118 (1.10.38)

Company Headquarters--HQ Section-3 mtrcyc, 1 mtrcyc with s/c, 1 heavy vv
personnel carrier (m Einheits-PKW), 1 Truck-Mannshafts KW cc personnel
carrier (S Einheits-PKW)

--2 Light Telephone Sections-1 medium cc signals carrier (Mercedes Benz
340-WK)

2 Machine Gun Platoons--HQ Section-2 mtrcyc, 1 medium cc personnel
carrier (M Einheits-PKW)

--Light Telephone Section-1 medium cc signals carrier (Mercedes Benz
340-WK)

--Ammo Section-2 mtrcyc with s/c

--2 Machine Gun Sections-6 mtrcyc with s/c, 2 heavy machine guns

Mortar Platoon--HQ Section-1 mtrcyc with s/c, 1 medium cc personnel
carrier (M Einheits-PKW), 1 Truck-Mannshafts KW cc personnel carrier (S.
Einheits PKW)

3 Mortar Sections- 1 medium personnel carrier (M Einheits PKW)

Motorized Heavy Company KStN 1121 (1.10.37)

Company Headquarters-2 mtrcyc, 2 mtrcyc with s/c, 1 truck cc prime mover
(Krupp L2 H-43 or H143 Protze)

Anti-Tank Platoon KStN 1122 (1.10.37)

Headquarters Section-1 mtrcyc, 2 mtrcyc with s/c, 1 medium cc personnel
carrier with tow hook

Gun Section-4 Trucks prime movers for light guns (Krupp L2H-43 or H-143
Protze), 3-37mm Anti-Tank guns, 1 light machine gun

Light Infantry Gun Section KStN 1123 (1.10.37)

Headquarters Section-1 mtrcyc, 2 mtrcyc with s/c, 1 medium cc personnel
carrier with towhook

Light Telephone Section-1 medium cc telephone signals carrier

Ammo Section-1 mtrcyc with s/c, 1 truck prime mover for light guns (Krup
p L2H-43 or H-143 Protze), 1 ammo trailer

Gun Section-2 trucks prime mover for light guns (Krupp L2H-43 or H-143),
2 Infantry Guns 75mm towed

Engineer Platoon KStN 1124 (1.10.37)

Headquarters Section-1 mtrcyc, 1 mtrcyc with s/c, 1 medium cc carrier
with equipment boxes (Stoewer M-12-RW)

1 Section-1 mtrcyc, 1 mtrcyc with s/c, 1 1.5 ton trucks, 1 Engineer
section with 1 light machine gun.

2 Sections-1 medium cc personnel carrier (Horch 830-R, 830-BL, 1
Engineer section with Light Machine Gun

Source is Leo Niehorster's _German World War II Organizational Series_
as published by J.J. Fedorowicz Publishing.

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 19 May 1993 to 20 May 1993
*************************************************