Subject: WWII-L Digest - 18 May 1993 to 19 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1993 00:00:36 -0400

There is one message totalling 94 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 19 MAY 43

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 19 May 1993 07:42:26 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 19 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 19 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, 6 B-24's and 11 B-25's fly 3 air-ground support
missions to Attu Island, bombing the Sarana Valley. 4 P-40's fly 2
reconnaissance missions to Kiska Island.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    HQ 402d Bombardment Group (Medium) is activated at Kunming, China. No
squadrons are assigned and headquarters is never fully manned.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Bomber Command Mission Number 59: 123 B-17's are dispatched against
the U-boat yards at Kiel, Germany; 103 bomb the target at 1329-1333 hours
local; we claim 48-7-21 Luftwaffe aircraft; we lose 6 B-17's and 28 others
are damaged; casualties are 1 KIA, 7 WIA and 60 MIA. A smaller force, 64
B-17's, is dispatched against the naval yards at Flensburg, Germany; 55
attack the target at 1325-1328 hours local; we claim 12-4-14 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 9 B-17's are damaged; casualties are 2 KIA and 4 WIA. An
uneventful diversion is flown by 24 B-17's.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia after 2 days of sand storms, aircraft are again airborne.
P-40's fly escort for ships in area E of Kelibia off Cap Bon peninsula.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sardinia, B-25's hit Milis and Villacidro Airfields while B-26's
bomb Monserrato and Elmas Airfields, the outskirts of Quarto Sant'Elena,
and Cagliari harbor.
    In Sicily, B-17's bomb Milo Airfield at Trapani.
    The 7th Troop Carrier Squadron, 62d Troop Carrier Group which has been
operating from bases in Egypt and Palestine with C-47's, returns to
Nouvion, Algeria.
    The 154th Observation Squadron, 68th Observation Group, transfers with
A-20's and P-38's from Le Sers, Tunisia to Korba, Tunisia.
    The 317th Fighter Squadron, 325th Fighter Group, transfers with P-40's
from Tafaraoui, Algeria to Montesquieu, Algeria and flies it's first
combat mission.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-24's hit the airfield at Gasmata. Single
heavy bombers hit Gasmata twice during the day.
  In New Guinea, B-25's attack the Salamaua area and targets of opportunity
off the NE coast of the Huon Peninsula.
  In Timor, B-24's hit Penfoei.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 18 May 1993 to 19 May 1993
*************************************************