Subject: WWII-L Digest - 23 May 1993 to 24 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1993 00:00:26 -0400

There are 12 messages totalling 1085 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 22 MAY 43
  2. USAAF 23 MAY 43
  3. USAAF 24 MAY 43
  4. Discovery Channel
  5. USAAF Aircraft Desigantion System (3)
  6. 20/20 REPORT
  7. AOB--ETO (2)
  8. First use of Napalm (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 08:01:04 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 22 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 22 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  LB-30, Consolidated Liberator
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutians, bad weather forces cancellation of all missions. 15
enemy bombers make a torpedo attack on the gunboat USS Charleston (PG-51)
and destroyer USS Phelps (DD-360) patrolling Attu. The ships suffer only
negligible damage.

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force)
    The 25th and 45th Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 40th Bombardment
Group (Heavy) transfer with B-24's and LB-30's to Howard Field, Canal
Zone. The 25th was at Salinas, Ecuador and the 45th was on the Galapagos
Islands.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  The 451st Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 322d Bombardment Group (Medium)
transfers with B-26C's from Rattlesden, England to Rougham, England.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In the Mediterranean, P-40's fly sea patrol off NE Tunisia.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily, as a diversion for a convoy passing off Sicily during the
night of 21/22 May, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF)
Wellingtons fly intrusion missions dropping bombs on Castelvetrano,
Sciacca, Milo, and Bo Rizzo Airfields.
    In the Mediterranean, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF)
fighters fly convoy escort.
    The 60th Fighter Squadron, 33d Fighter Group transfers with P-40's
from Ebba Ksour, Tunisia to Menzel Termime, Tunisia.
    The 93d Fighter Squadron, 81st Fighter Group transfers with P-39's
from Bone, Algeria to Monastir, Tunisia.
    The 346th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group transfers with P-39's
from Orleansville, Algeria to Maison Blanche, Algeria.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-24's bomb the town of Kaimana and strafe power launches
at Koer Island.
  The 36th Fighter Squadron, 8th Fighter Group transfers with P-39's from
Mareeba, Queensland, Australia to Port Moresby, New Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 08:01:07 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 23 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SUNDAY, 23 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  Beaufighter, Bristol (RAF)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  PBY, Consolidated Catalina (USN)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutians, 6 B-24's and 12 B-25's fly 3 air-ground support
missions to Attu. Due to bad weather they are routed to Kiska. Weather
there is also poor and only 1 B-25 bombs the Main Camp area. Next, 3
B-24's and 18 P-38's fly 3 air cover missions to Attu. The last of these
missions is notified by a PBY that 16 Japanese bombers are W of Attu. 5 of
the P-38's then intercept the bombers over Attu, which jettison their
bombs and close formation. The P-38's score 5 kills and 7 probables. 2 P-
38's are lost.
    The 344th Fighter Squadron, 343d Fighter Group begins a movement from
Fort Glenn, Umnak Island to Shemya Island, both in the Aleutians. The air
echelon is operating with P-40's from Amchitka Island.

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force)
    The 3d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 6th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
transfers with B-24's from Talara, Peru to Salinas, Ecuador.

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  In the Territory of Hawaii, a flight of P-40's on patrol from Kauai bomb
a submarine from 1,500 feet (457 m), after which an oil slick and debris
are seen.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  The 417th Night Fighter Squadron, VIII Fighter Command based at
Cranfield, England sends a detachment to Scorton, England to train with
the RAF on Beaufighters.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In the Mediterranean, P-40's fly convoy escort off Tunisia.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In the Mediterranean, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF)
B-25's and B-26's bomb the docks and airfield on Pantelleria Island and
P-40's attack gun positions on the island.
    In Italy, P-38's attack the zinc works at Iglesias and Carloforte
harbor on San Pietro Island.
    The 91st Fighter Squadron, 81st Fighter Group transfers with P-39's
from Bone, Algeria to Sfax, Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, 5 B-24's bomb the airfields at Kahili and Ballale
Island during the night of 23/24 May. 10 B-17's, attempting a follow-up
strike, abort because of bad weather. While other aircraft are
successfully laying mines in the N Solomons in the Buin area, 19 B-17's
and B-24's, in a diversionary raid, bomb the Buin-Kahili-Tonolai shoreline
area.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-24's and B-17's hit the harbor and
airfield at Kavieng, the airfield at Gasmata, and the village of Ubili.
  The 13th Bombardment Squadron (Dive), 3d Bombardment Group (Dive)
transfers with B-25's from Port Moresby, New Guinea to Dobodura, New
Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 08:02:23 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 24 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 24 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, 2 of 3 air-ground support missions to Attu, together 6
B-24's, 11 B-25's, and 1 F-5A, bomb Attu. The third mission is cancelled,
except for 2 B-25's which do not hear the cancelling order. 3 B-24's and
14 P-38's fly 3 more air cover missions over Attu but make no contacts.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy, B-24's hit the Villa San Giovanni ferry slip and railroad
yards, and ferry terminal and a nearby tanker at Reggio di Calabria.
    The 45th Troop Carrier Squadron, 316th Troop Carrier Group transfers
with C-47's from Libya to Nouvion, Algeria.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In the Mediterranean during the night of 23/24 May, Northwest African
Strategic Air Force (NASAF) Wellingtons bomb the harbor and airfield at
Pantelleria Island. During the day, NASAF and Northwest African Tactical
Air Force (NATAF) fighters follow with more attacks on the airfield.
    In Sardinia, P-40's, P-38's, B-25's, B-26's and B-17's, bomb targets
including Carloforte harbor, factories, hangars, and oil dump at Alghero
and the seaplane base at Porto Conte, the railroad bridge at Arbatax, the
area near Macomer, the town of Iglesias,the  harbor at La Maddalena
Island, harbor, warehouses, and dump at Terranova, and the airfield at
Olbia.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-24's pound Lakunai Airfield at Rabaul
while B-25's hit the runway at Gasmata.
  In Timor, B-25's bomb Penfoei.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 08:02:29 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Discovery Channel

*******************************************************************
*******************************************************************
**                                                               **
**              JUNE, 1993 DISCOVERY CHANNEL SCHEDULE            **
**                                                               **
** Cable TV's Discovery Channel received in Canada and the U.S.  **
** that may of interest to the aviation, military, etc minded    **
** community.                                                    **
**                                                               **
**         All times are Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)             **
**                                                               **
*******************************************************************
*******************************************************************

THE ADVENTURERS
---------------
Episode 36 (hang gliding, air combat school, etc)
  Thu, Jun 24 2200-2230
  Fri, Jun 25 0100-0130

ARTHUR C. CLARKE'S MYSTERIOUS WORLD
-----------------------------------
UFOs
  Tue, Jun 15 2030-2100

ASSIGNMENT DISCOVERY
--------------------
Episode 222: America's involvement in Vietnam, 1959-1975
  Tue, Jun 1 0900-1000
Episode 231 (the Wright Brothers)
  Mon, Jun 14 0900-1000

BEYOND 2000
-----------
Episode 133 (USAF top guns)
  Thu, Jun 17 0100-0200

CARRIERS
--------
The Langley (USS Langley, CV-1)
  Sun, Jul 4 1730-1800

DISCOVERY JOURNAL
-----------------
Gitmo--Cold War in Cuba (Guantanamo Naval Base, Cuba)
  Sat, Jun 12 1700-1800
  Sun, Jun 13 0200-0300
  Sun, Jun 13 1300-1400

DISCOVERY PRESENTS: SURVIVAL
----------------------------
Air Disasters (49 airliner crashes 1979-1989)
  Tue, Jun 8 1900-2000
  Wed, Jun 9 0200-0300
On the Frontlines (Noramndy, Chosin Reservoir, Invasion of Panama)
  Fri, Jun 11 1900-2000
  Sat, Jun 12 0200-0300
Peril in the Pacific (Mar 45 in the Pacific)
  Thu, Jun 10 1900-2000
  Fri, Jun 11 0200-0300

DISCOVERY SHOWCASE
------------------
Attack on the Liberty (Israeli attack on USS Liberty in 1967)
  Mon, Jun 14 2100-2200
  Tue, Jun 15 0000-0100
  Sun, Jun 20 1400-1500
Pearl Harbor (7 Dec 41)
  Tue, Jun 1 0000-0100
  Sun, Jun 6 1400-1500

DISCOVERY SUNDAY
----------------
Wings of Eagles (National War Plane Museum, Geneseo, New York)
  Sun, Jul 4 2100-2200
  Mon, Jul 5 0000-0100

DISCOVERY UNDERWATER
--------------------
The Oldest Shipwrecks in the World (in Mediterranean)
  Thu, Jul 1 2200-2300
  Fri, Jul 2 0100-0200

FIREPOWER
---------
Electronic Eye (night vision equipment)
  Thu, Jun 24 2100-2130
  Fri, Jun 25 0000-0030
Royal Air Force
  Thu, Jul 2 2130-2200
  Fri, Jul 3 0030-0100
US Air Forces in Europe (USAFE)--Strike Force
  Thu, Jun 10 2100-2130
  Fri, Jun 11 0000-0030
The Wizard War (electronics on the battlefield)
  Thu, Jun 3 2100-2130
  Fri, Jun 4 0000-0030

FRONTIERS OF FLIGHT
-------------------
The Jet Airliner (Boeing 367-80)
  Sat, Jun 5 2100-2200
  Sun, Jun 6 0000-0100
The Last Great World Record (Rutan/Yeager flight around the world)
  Sat, Jun 26 2100-2200
  Sun, Jun 27 0000-0100
The Threshold of Space (X-15)
  Sat, Jun 12 2100-2200
  Sun, Jun 13 0000-0100
To Space and Back (the space shuttle)
  Sat, Jun 19 2100-2200
  Sun, Jun 20 0000-0100

GI DIARY
--------
Medal of Honor
  Thu, Jun 10 2130-2200
  Fri, Jun 11 0030-0100
Nightmare at San Pietro (Italy)
  Thu, Jun 24 2130-2200
  Fri, Jun 25, 0030-0100
Target Tokyo (B-29's and P-51's over Japan in 1945)
  Thu, Jun 3 2130-2200
  Fri, Jun 4 0030-0100

HITLER-THE WHOLE STORY
----------------------
Part 1 "Germany Awake!"
  Wed, Jun 23 2300-2400
Part 2
  Wed, Jun 30 2300-2400

HUNTERS IN THE SKY
------------------
Knights in the Sky (fighter pilots)
  Sun, Jul 4 1700-1730

INVENTION
---------
Episode 38 (Igor Sikorsky)
  Tue, Jun 29 2100-2130
  Wed, Jun 30 0000-0030

MONSTER-A PORTRAIT OF STALIN IN BLOOD
-------------------------------------
The Private Life of Joseph Stalin
  Tue, Jun 1 2200-2300
  Wed, Jun 2 0100-0200
  Sat, Jun 5 1600-1700

MOTHER NATURE
-------------
The Bird that beat the US Navy
  Wed, Jun 16 1800-1830

THE NATURE OF THINGS
--------------------
Air Crash (accident investigators)
  Sun, Jun 27 1900-2000
  Mon, Jun 28 0200-0300

SECRET WEAPONS
--------------
Fabulous Flops (those that did not make it)
  Fri, Jul 2 2100-2130
  Sat, Jul 3 0000-0030

SKYBOUND
--------
Airwork (fighting forest fires; rounding up cattle)
  Fri, Jun 18 2130-2200
  Sat, Jun 19 0030-0100
Free Flight (paragliding and hanggliding)
  Fri, Jun 25 2130-2200
  Sat, Jun 26 0030-0100
New Pioneers (test pilots)
  Fri, Jun 11 2130-2200
  Sat, Jun 12 0030-0100
Planes and Water (seaplanes)
  Fri, Jun 4 2130-2200
  Sat, Jun 5 0030-0100

WINGS
-----
A-26, Douglas Invader
  Sat, Jun 26 1300-1400
  Sun, Jun 27 1800-1900
B-1, Rockwell
  Sat, Jul 3 1300-1400
  Sun, Jul 4 1800-1900
B-57, Martin Canberra
  Wed, Jun 2 2100-2200
  Thu, Jun 3 0000-0100
F-5, Northrop Freedom Fighter
  Sat, Jun 12 1300-1400
  Sun, Jun 13 1800-1900
F-15, McDonnell Douglas Eagle
  Wed, Jun 9 2100-2200
  Thu, Jun 10 0000-0100
F-18, McDonnell Douglas Hornet
  Wed, Jun 16 2100-2200
  Thu, Jun 17 0000-0100
Lockheed Constellation
  Sat, Jun 5 1300-1400
  Sun, Jun 6 1800-1900
P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  Wed, Jun 23 2100-2200
  Thu, Jun 24 0000-0100
PBY, Consolidated Catalina
  Sat, Jun 19 1300-1400
  Sun, Jun 20 1800-1900
Wings of Silver (F-117 and AWACS)
  Wed, Jun 30 2100-2200
  Thu, Jul 1 0000-0100

WINGS OF THE LUFTWAFFE
----------------------
Bf 109
  Sat, Jul 3 2100-2200
  Sun, Jul 4 0000-0100

WORLD OF VALOR
--------------
British Royal Marines
  Sun, Jul 4 1500-1530
German 1st Airborne
  Fri, Jun 11 2100-2130
  Sat, Jun 12 0000-0030
  Sun, Jun 13 1730-1800
Italian Alpini
  Fri, Jun 4 2100-2130
  Sat, Jun 5 0000-0030
  Sun, Jun 6 1730-1800
Soviet Airborne
  Fri, Jun 25 2100-2130
  Sat, Jun 26 0000-0030
  Sun, Jun 27 1730-1800
US Army Rangers
  Fri, Jun 18 2100-2130
  Sat, Jun 19 0000-0030

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 08:44:28 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF Aircraft Desigantion System

                 U.S. ARMY AIR FORCES AIRCRAFT DESIGNATIONS
                                 1939-1945

Each U.S. Army Air Force (USAAF) aircraft was assigned a unique designation
that identified it's intended purpose, model, series and special purpose.
This post identifies the coding system used during the period 1939 to 1945.
This coding system, which is still in use today by all branches of the U.S.
military, was introduced by the U.S. Army Air Service in May 1924; in 1941
additional characters were introduced to uniquely identify similar aircraft
and/or aircraft produced by different manufacturers.  The U.S. Air Force
was established on 26 Sep 47 and in 1948, a number of prefixes and type
symbols were changed notably "P" for pursuit was changed to "F" for
fighter; other changes to World War II codes are defined in the following
paragraphs.

The USAAF designation system only applied to aircraft ordered by the USAAF
and did not apply to foreign aircraft acquired by Reverse Lend-Lease,
e.g., the Spitfires, Beaufighters, Ansons, etc. acquired from the RAF
kept their RAF designation and usually their RAF serial number.

The USAAF/USAF aircraft designation consists of a minimum of two parts
and a maximum of six parts each of which is explained in the following
paragraphs.  As an example, consider Douglas TA-20K-15-DO Havoc, USAAF
serial number 44-731.  The six parts of the designation are indicated by
the number in parenthesis shown below; the number also identifies the
paragraph below which describes the entry.

                         T   A - 20  K -15 - DO
                        (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

1. Status or special-purpose prefix (Optional)

The status or special-purpose prefix indicates the aircraft's
development, status and/or secondary purpose.  The first use of this code
was the letter "X" indicating an experimental aircraft, usually a
prototype.  The code was also used for production aircraft that were
modified for tests and the aircraft normally retained the X-prefix during
the tests.  For example, Boeing P-12E, s/n 31-553, was converted to an
XP-12E for development tests; when re-engined with an SR-1340E, it became
YP-12K; when equipped with a supercharger, it became XP-12L; and finally,
the aircraft was converted back to a "stock" P-12E.

The second code introduced was "Y" for service test.  If tests indicated
that the "X" model had promise, the USAAS/USAAC/USAAF would order between
two and 13 service test aircraft.  Many of these were assigned to active
duty squadrons who used them to determine their strengths and weaknesses.
For example, the USAAC ordered 13 Y1B-17's (the "1" in Y1B indicated
procurement from F-1 Funds; I don't understand it either!); many of these
aircraft were assigned to the 2d Bombardment Group at Langley Field,
Virginia for use and testing.  The last pre-World War II code was "Z"
indicating obsolete.

The codes used during the period 1939-45 are listed below along with an
example of an aircraft using the prefix.  This table indicates that the
TA-20K-15-DO was an A-20K-15-DO that had been modified as a trainer.

   C: Transport (1943 to date) (North American CB-25J Mitchell)
   F: Photographic (1945-47) (North American FP-51D Mustang)
   K: Ferret (1944-47) (?)
   R: Restricted (1942-47) (Lockheed RP-38E Lightning)
   T: Trainer (1943 to date) (Curtiss TP-40N)
   U: Utility (1941 to date) (Cessna UC-78 Bobcat)
   V: Staff transport (1945 to date) (Boeing VB-17G Flying Fortress)
   X: Experimental (1924 to date) (Boeing XB-29 Superfortress)
   Y: Service test (1928 to date) (Boeing YB-29 Superfortress)
   Z: Obsolete (1928-62) (?)

2. Type symbol (Required)

The type symbol identifies the basic purpose of the aircraft.  For example,
our TA-20K-15-DO was basically an attack aircraft ("A") that had been
modified into a trainer ("T").  The following letter(s) were assigned
during the period 1939-45; examples of an aircraft of each type is indicated.

  A: Attack (1926-47; to B in '48) (Douglas A-26 Invader; to B-26 in '48)
  A: Aerial target (1940-41) (Bell A-7 Airacobra)
  AG: Assault glider (1942-44) (Timm AG-2)
  AT: Advanced trainer (1925-47; to T in '48) (North American AT-6 Texan;
      to T-6 in '48)
  B: Bomber (1925 to date) (Martin B-26 Marauder)
  BC: Basic combat (1936-40) (North American BC-1)
  BG: Bomb glider (1942-44) (Fletcher BG-1)
  BQ: Bomb, guided (1942-45) (Boeing BQ-7 Flying Fortress)
  BT: Basic trainer (1930-47; to T in '48) (Vultee BT-13 Valiant; to T-13
      in '48)
  C: Transport (1925 to date) (Curtiss C-46 Commando)
  CG: Transport glider (1941-47; to G in '48) (Waco CG-4 Hadrian; to G-4
      in '48)
  CQ: Target Control (1942-47; became D-prefix in '48) (Beechcraft CQ-3
      Expeditor; to DC-45 in '48)
  F: Photographic (1930-47; to R-prefix in '48) (Boeing F-9 Flying Fortress;
     to FB-17 in '45 and RB-17 to '48)
  FG: Fuel-carrying glider (1944-47) (Cornelius FG-1)
  FM: Fighter, multiplace (1936-41) (Bell FM-1 Airacuda)
  G: Gyroplane (1935-39; to O and R in '39) (Kellett G-1; to R-2 in '41)
  GB: Glide bomb (1942-47)
  GT: Glide torpedo (1942-47)
  JB: Jet-propelled bomb (1943-47)
  L: Liaison (1942-62; to O in '62) (Piper L-4 Cub)
  O: Observation (1924-42; to L in '42) (Piper O-59 Cub; to L-4 in '42)
  OA: Observation, amphibian (1925-47; to A in '48) (Consolidated OA-10
      Catalina; to A-10 in '48)
  OQ: Target, flying model (1942-47; to Q in '48) (Frankfort OQ-3; to Q-3
      in '48)
  P: Pursuit (1925-47; to F in '48) (Republic P-47 Thunderbolt; to F-47
     in '48)
  PB: Pursuit, biplace (1935-41) (Consolidated PB-2)
  PG: Powered glider (1943-47; to G in '48) (Waco PG-3; to G-3 in '48)
  PQ: Aerial target, manned (1942-47; to Q in '48) (Culver PQ-14; to Q-14
      in '48)
  PT: Primary trainer (1925-47; to T in '48) (Fairchild PT-14 Cornell; to
      T-14 in '48)
  R: Rotary wing (1941-47; to H in '48) (Sikorsky R-5 Dragonfly; to H-5 in
     '48)
  TG: Trainer glider (1941-47) (Taylorcraft TG-6)

3. Model number (Required)

The model number indicates the number of different models that had been
ordered under each type designation, regardless of manufacturer.  For
example, the B-17 was the 17th bomber design; the P-40 the 40th fighter
design; our TA-20K-15-DO was the 20th attack aircraft; etc.

4. Series letter (Optional; required for the 2d and later aircraft in the
series)

The series letter was applied to the model number to indicate modifications
of the original model.  As a general rule, the letters "I" and "O" were not
used as series letters.  Normally, the first production aircraft did not
have a series letter and the second aircraft in the series was given an "A"
suffix, e.g., the first production Mustang was the P-51, the second was the
P-51A, etc.  Today, the first aircraft in the series is assigned the "A"
suffix, the second "B", etc.  I remember that one of the mandatory rules
for changing the series letter was the installation of a different engine
and/or propeller; I have been unable to verify this or any other rules.
The modification of the aircraft configuration was not necessarily enough
to cause a change in the letter, e.g., P-47D's were produced in both
razorback and bubble canopy versions.

In our example, the TA-20K-15-DO, the series was:

  A-20: first production aircraft
  A-20A: second production aircraft
  A-20B: third production aircraft
  A-20C: fourth production aircraft
  A-20D: projected version with different engines; never built
  A-20E: 17 converted A-20A's with different engines
  A-20F: 1 A-20A modified with new armament and turrets
  A-20G: fifth production aircraft with solid nose
  A-20H: sixth production aircraft
  A-20J: seventh production aircraft
  A-20K: eighth production aircraft

5. Block number (optional)

By 1941, the increasing complexity of aircraft made it desirable to
identify minor differences between aircraft without changing the series
letter.  Since these changes were normally made on a number of consecutive
aircraft in a particular production block, the term Block Number was used
to identify the differences.  The first block was identified by the numeric
"-1" as in P-40F-1-CU.  Initially, the second block of aircraft were to be
identified by "-2" but it was realized that this would preclude identifying
field modifications so the second block was identified as "-5" and then by
fives, i.e., "-10", "-15", etc.  The highest block numbers were assigned to
Consolidated B-24J-210-CO Liberators.

In our example, the TA-20K-15-DO was one of the 187 aircraft in the fourth
block of A-20K's built.

6. Manufacturer identification (required)

The large aircraft programs of World War II saw the same basic type of
aircraft being built by different companies and/or at different locations.
For example, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress' were built by Boeing at Seattle,
Washington, by Douglas at Long Beach, California and by Lockheed (Vega) at
Burbank, California.  The North American P-51 Mustang was built at North
American's plants in Inglewood, California and Dallas, Texas.  In order
to identify who built the aircraft at which plant, a two-alpha manufacturer
identification code was created in 1941 and assigned to most aircraft.  The
only exception to this rule was when "one of a kind" aircraft were
procured, e.g., the students at the University of Notre Dame designed and
built one Model ND-1 single-seat sailplane that was "drafted" (conscripted)
in Fiscal Year 1942 and assigned the designation TG-21.  Since this was one
of a kind, a code indicating Notre Dame U was not created and the glider
was known simply as the TG-21.

The codes that were assigned during World War II are listed below.  In our
example, the TA-20K-15-DO was built by Douglas Aircraft Co. at their Santa
Monica, California plant.  The manufacturer's codes and the aircraft
produced or ordered at these locations are up through Fiscal Year 1945 are:

  AE: Aeronca Aircraft Corp., Middletown, Ohio (L-3, O-58, PT-19, PT-23,
      TG-5)
  AG: Air Glider, Inc., Akron, Ohio (TG-3)
  BA: Bell Aircraft Corp., Atlanta, Georgia (B-29)
  BB: Babcock Aircraft, Deland, Florida (CG-4)
  BE: Bell Aircraft Corp., Buffalo, New York (P-39, P-59, P-63, P-77, P-83)
  BH: Beech Aircraft Corp., Wichita, Kansas (A-38, AT-7, AT-10, AT-11,
      C-43, C-45, CQ-3, F-2)
  BL: Bellanca Aircraft, New Castle, Delaware (L-11)
  BN: Boeing Airplane Co., Renton, Washington (B-29, B-44, F-13)
  BO: Boeing Airplane Co., Seattle, Washington (A-20, B-17, B-29, B-38,
      B-39, B-40, BQ-7, C-73, C-75, C-97, C-98, C-105, C-108, F-9)
  BR: Briegleb Sailplane, Beverley Hills, California (TG-9, TG-1, TG-133)
  BS: Bowlus Sailplane, San Francisco, California (CG-7, CG-8, TG-12)
  BU: Budd Manufacturing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (C-93)
  BW: Stearman Aircraft Division, Boeing Airplane Co., Wichita, Kansas
      (AT-15, B-29, BT-17, F-13, PT-13, PT-17, PT-18, PT-27)
  CA: Chase Aircraft Co., Inc., West Trenton, New Jersey (CG-14)
  CE: Cessna Aircraft Co., Wichita, Kansas (AT-8, AT-17, C-77, C-78,
      C-94, C-106, CG-4)
  CF: Consolidated-Vultee Aircraft Corp., Ft. Worth, Texas (AT-22, B-24,
      B-32, B-36, C-87, F-7)
  CH: Christoper Aircraft, St. Louis, Missouri (AG-1)
  CK: Curtiss-Wright Corp., Louisville, Kentucky (C-46, C-76)
  CL: Culver Aircraft, Wichita, Kansas (PQ-8, PQ-14)
  CM: Commonwealth Aircraft, Kansas City, Missouri (CG-3, CG-4)
  CO: Consolidated-Vultee Aircraft Corp., San Diego, California (B-24,
      B-32, B-41, B-46, BQ-8, C-99, F-7, OA-10, P-81)
  CR: Cornelius Aircraft, Dayton, Ohio (BG-3, FG-1)
  CS: Curtiss-Wright Corp., St. Louis, Missouri (A-25, A-40, AT-9, C-46,
      C-55, C-76, C-113)
  CU: Curtiss-Wright Corp., Buffalo, New York (C-46, P-36, P-40, P-46,
      P-47, P-53, P-55, P-60, P-62)
  DC: Douglas Aircraft Co., Chicago, Illinois (C-54)
  DE: Douglas Aircraft Co., El Segundo, California (A-20, A-24, A-26, A-33)
  DH: deHavilland Aircraft, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (F-8, PT-24)
  DK: Douglas Aircraft Co., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (C-47, C-117)
  DL: Douglas Aircraft Co., Long Beach, California (A-20, A-26, B-17,
      C-47, C-74, C-110, CG-17, F-9)
  DO: Douglas Aircraft Co., Santa Monica, California (A-20, A-42, B-18,
      B-23, B-42, B-43, C-48, C-49, C-50, C-51, C-52, C-53, C-54, C-58,
      C-67, C-68, C-84, C-110, C-112, C-114, C-115, C-116, F-3, P-70)
  DT: Douglas Aircraft Co., Tulsa, Oklahoma (A-24, A-26, B-24, C-109)
  FA: The Fairchild Engine & Airplane Co., Hagerstown, Maryland (AT-13,
      AT-14, AT-21, BQ-3, C-61, C-82, C-86, C-88, C-96, PT-19, PT-23, PT-26)
  FB: The Fairchild Engine & Airplane Co., Burlington, North Carolina
      (AT-21)
  FE: Fleet Aviation Ltd., Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada (PT-23, PT-26)
  FL: Fleetwings, Inc., Bristol, Pennsylvania (A-39, BQ-1, BQ-2, BT-12,
      PQ-12)
  FO: Ford Motor Co., Willow Run, Michigan (B-24, C-109, CG-4, CG-13, PG-2)
  FR: Frankfort Sailplane, Joliet, Illinois (CG-1, CG-2, OQ-2, OQ-3,
      OQ-14, TG-1)
  FT: Fletcher Aircraft Corp., Pasadena, California (BG-1, BG-2, CQ-1)
  GA: G&A Aircraft Co, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania (CG-4, CG-16)
  GC: General Motors (Fisher), Cleveland, Ohio (P-74)
  GE: General Aircraft, Astoria, New York (CG-4)
  GM: General Motors (Fisher), Detroit, Michigan (P-74)
  GN: Gibson Refrigerator, Greenville, Michigan (CG-4)
  GR: Grumman Aircraft Corp., Bethpage, Long Island, New York (OA-9,
      OA-12, OA-13, OA-14)
  HI: Higgins Aircraft, Inc., New Orleans, Louisiana (C-46)
  HO: Howard Aircraft Corp., Chicago, Illinois (C-70, PT-23)
  HU: Hughes Aircraft Co., Culver City and San Diego, California (A-37, F-11)
  IN: Interstate Aircraft and Engineering, El Segundo, California (BQ-4,
      BQ-5, BQ-6, L-6, L-8, O-63)
  KE: Kellett Autogyro Corp., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (O-60, R-2, R-3,
      R-8, R-10)
  LK: Laister-Kauffman Aircraft Co., St. Louis, Missouri (CG-4, CG-10,
      TG-4, TG-20)
  LO: Lockheed Aircraft Corp., Burbank, California (A-28, A-29, AT-18,
      B-34, B-37, C-36, C-40, C-56, C-57, C-59, C-60, C-63, C-66, C-69,
      C-85, C-101, C-111, F-4, F-5, F-14, O-56, P-38, P-49, P-58, P-80)
  MA: The Glenn L. Martin Co., Baltimore, Maryland (A-30, AT-23, B-26,
      B-27, B-48)
  MC: McDonnell Aircraft Co., St. Louis, Missouri (P-67)
  MO: The Glenn L. Martin Co., Omaha, Nebraska (AT-23, B-26, B-29, B-33)
  NA: North American Aviation, Inc., Inglewood, California (A-27, A-36,
      AT-6, AT-24, B-25, B-28, B-45, BT-14, F-6, P-51, P-64, P-82)
  NC: North American Aviation, Inc., Kansas City, Kansas (B-25)
  ND: Noorduyn Aviation Co., Ltd., Montreal, Quebec (AT-16, C-64)
  NK: Nash-Kelvinator Corp., Detroit, Michigan (F-10, R-6)
  NO: Northrop Aircraft, Inc., Hawthorne, California (A-31, B-35, B-49,
      C-100, F-15, P-56, P-61, P-79)
  NT: North American Aviation, Inc., Dallas, Texas (AT-6, B-24, C-82,
      F-6, P-51)
  NW: Northwestern Aeronautical Corp., St. Paul, Minnesota (CG-4, CG-13,
      PG-1, PG-2)
  PI: Piper Aircraft Corp., Lockhaven, Pennsylvania (C-83, L-4, L-14,
      O-59, TG-8)
  PL: Platt-LePage Aircraft Co., Eddystone, Pennsylvania (R-1)
  PR: Pratt, Read & Co., Eddystone, Pennsylvania (CG-4, TG-32)
  RA: Republic Aviation, Evansville, Indiana (P-47)
  RD: Read-York, Inc., Kenosha, Wisconsin (CG-12)
  RE: Republic Aviation, Farmingdale, Long Island, New York (AT-12, F-12,
      P-43, P-47, P-72)
  RI: Ridgefield Manufacturing Co., Ridgeville, New Jersey (CG-4, PG-2)
  RO: Robertson Aircraft, St. Louis, Missouri (CG-4)
  RP: The Radioplane Co., Van Nuys, California (OQ-2, OQ-3, OQ-14)
  RY: Ryan Aeronautical Co., San Diego, California (L-10, PT-20, PT-21,
      PT-22, PT-25)
  SI: Sikorsky Aircraft Division of United Aircraft Corp., Stratford,
      Connecticut (OA-11, R-4, R-5, R-6, R-7)
  SL: St. Louis Aircraft, St. Louis, Missouri (CG-5, CG-6, PT-19, PT-23)
  SP: Spartan Aircraft, Tulsa, Oklahoma (C-71)
  SW: Schweizer Aircraft, Elmira, New York (TG-2, TG-3)
  TA: Taylorcraft Aviation, Alliance, Ohio (C-95, L-2, O-57, TG-6, TG-33)
  TI: Timm Aircraft, Van Nuys, California (AG-2, CG-4)
  UN: Universal Molded Products, Bristol, Virginia (L-7)
  VE: Lockheed (Vega) Aircraft Corp., Burbank, California (B-17, B-40, F-9)
  VI: Canadian Vickers, Ltd., Montreal, Quebec, Canada (OA-10)
  VN: Vultee Aircraft Corp., Nashville, Tennessee (A-31, A-35, BT-13, P-38)
  VU: Vultee Aircraft Corp., Downey, California (BT-15, P-54, P-66)
  VW: Stinson Aircraft Division of Consolidated Vultee Corp., Wayne,
      Michigan (AT-19, C-81, C-91, CQ-2, L-1, L-5, L-9, L-12, L-13, O-49,
      O-62)
  WA: Ward Furniture Co., Fort Smith Arkansas (CG-4)
  WO: Waco Aircraft Co., Troy, Ohio (C-62, C-72, CG-3, CG-4, CG-13, CG-15,
      PG-3)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 09:56:39 MDT
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF Aircraft Desigantion System

Thanks Jack for this article, I've always wanted something like this
in short, easily accessable form!

But, (you probably guessed there would be a "but") what then was an
"LB-30" bomber you mentioned in one of today's combat chronologies?

Thanks,

Steve Alvin
Dickinson State University
[email-masked]
**********************************************************************
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.--Proverb*
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat my class.-SA*
**********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 12:56:45 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: USAAF Aircraft Desigantion System

        Thanks Jack for this article, I've always wanted something like this
        in short, easily accessable form!

        But, (you probably guessed there would be a "but") what then was an
        "LB-30" bomber you mentioned in one of today's combat chronologies?

        Thanks,

        Steve Alvin
        Dickinson State University
        [email-masked]
        **********************************************************************
        *Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.--Proverb*
        *Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat my class.-SA*
        **********************************************************************

Steve,

You are not the first one to ask about the LB-30; the LB-30 was an
RAF designation as I describe in the following blurb I prepared last
year.

                   THE CONSOLIDATED LB-30 LIBERATOR

In late 1938, the US Army Air Corps (USAAC) approached Consolidated
Aircraft with a request to build the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress under
contract to provide an additional production line; in January 1939,
Consolidated suggested to the USAAC that they build a long-range bomber
superior to the B-17.  On 1 Feb 39, the USAAC issued Type Specification
C-212 to Consolidated, Martin and Sikorsky for a new heavy bomber.  Since
they only had three weeks to respond, and Consolidated already had a
mock-up, it was no surprise that Consolidated signed a contract on 30 Mar
39 for a one prototype XB-24 to be completed by 30 Dec 39.  In Apr 39,
Consolidated received an order for seven YB-24s; in Aug 39, an order for 38
B-24As was placed by the USAAC.  The prototype XB-24 made it's first flight
(17 minutes) on 29 Dec 39 at San Diego.

In April 1940, the French ordered 175 export versions, the LB-30MF (Mission
Francais), the LB-30 representing the 30th project in Consolidated's Land
Bomber project series.  With the fall of France in Jun 40, the Brits took
over 135 of the orders with the designation LB-30.  The Brits requested
that their aircraft be equipped with self-sealing fuel tanks, armor plating
and tail and dorsal power-operated turrets.  Since all of the aircraft
would have to be modified to meet these requirements, the RAF swung a deal
with the USAAC to take 26 early B-24s in exchange for 26 LB-30s.  The first
six of the 26 were YB-24s (designated LB-30As) with the addition of
de-icers but no wing slots and without self sealing tanks.  The first of
these aircraft was flown across the Atlantic in Mar 41; all six were placed
in service with the Trans-Atlantic Return Ferry Service between Prestwick,
Scotland, Newfoundland and Montreal, Quebec.  The aircraft were initially
operated by British Overseas Airways Corp (BOAC), and later by RAF Ferry
Command, to fly ferry-pilots to Canada to pick up U.S. aircraft for
delivery to the RAF.  The first flight from the UK to Canada took place on
4 May 41.

Starting in Mar 41, 20 LB-30Bs (B-24A conversions) were delivered to the
RAF as Liberator Mk Is and equipped Coastal Command's No. 120 Squadron at
Nutts Corner, County Antrim, Northern Ireland.  These aircraft were
equipped with ASV radar, six 303 caliber machine guns and a tray of four or
six 20mm cannon under the fuselage.

In May 41, the USAAC accepted the remaining YB-24s equipped with
self-sealing tanks and armor plating and, beginning in mid-1941, nine
B-24As.  The latter aircraft were used by the fledgling Ferrying Command
over the North and South Atlantic routes beginning on 1 Jul 41 and 31 Aug
41 respectively.

The next RAF aircraft was the LB-30 Liberator Mk II which was 2ft 7in
longer lengthening the aircraft to 66ft 4in.  This aircraft also had
mid-upper and tail electrical turrets, 14x303 caliber machine guns and
commercial R-1830-S3C4-G engines.  The 139 Liberator IIs were intended for
the service with the RAF in the Middle East but after Pearl Harbor, the US
Army Air Forces (USAAF) "drafted" 75 of them.  Fifteen of these aircraft,
retaining their RAF serial numbers and the designation LB-30, were
dispatched to the Philippine Islands but they never made it.  Four
eventually reached the 7th Bombardment Group (Heavy) in Java and the first
mission flown by the USAAF LB-30s was on 17 Jan 42 when the 7th Bomb Group,
operating from Singosari Airfield, Java flew a combat mission against the
Japanese.  Another 17 LB-30s, fitted with British ASV radar and Martin top
turret, were assigned to the Sixth Air Force in the Canal Zone for shipping
patrols.  In 1944, six of these aircraft were converted to C-87 Liberator
transports.

In Alaska, the 36th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) was equipped with six
Douglas B-18 Bolos on 7 Dec 41.  By the end of Dec, their complement of
aircraft had been supplemented by one LB-30 plus B-17s.  The squadron had
received more B-24s by Jun 42 and during 1942, was joined by the B-24
equipped 21st and 404th Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy).  LB-30s also served
in Hawaii and flew ASW patrols from Hickam Field until replaced by B-24s.
The fate of the one LB-30 in Alaska is unknown.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 18:23:08 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: 20/20 REPORT

Over a few drinks Saturday night, me and a buddy of mine were
discussingthe Battle of the North Atlantic.  I then began talking about
_Operation Drumbeat_, and what a tremendous book it is.  A friend
sitting at the table said "Yeah, that is a tremendous book, but it's
information is obsolete." I said, "Pardon me".  He replied that he had
seen a report on the ABC news magazine 20/20 that had new information
that made previous reports on the U-Boat war outdated.  I asked for
specifics, and he said the information came from the former East
Germany, and had to do with new weapons.  He couldn't be specific.

Did anybody see this report???  Was there anything that earth-shaking in
it that would make accounts of the U-Boot war obsolete??  Inquiring
minds want to know!!!!

Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 18:40:17 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: AOB--ETO

My present project for the World War II Airman's Preservation Society is
to recreate a WWIIAAF S-2 Intelligence shop for the 91st Bomb Group
(Heavy), stationed at Bassinbourn, England.  I have ordered some
references and reprints of WWII manuals.  There are several aspects I am
working at once.  Here they are---

1.  WWII S-2 Intelligence manuals--anybody know where I can get some
good original or reprint manuals that would be in a S-2 shop.  I've
ordered some of the standard reprints--like the War Depart. Manual of
German Forces, Army-Navy Recognition Journal, ID of German Aircraft.
Anybody know of any good sources to purchase additional related titles.

2.  Aircraft identification posters--prefer reprints---'42-45 era, ETO

3.  Large and small WWII era maps of Europe--large ones for briefing,
small ones for shop usage.  Prefer reprints.

4.  World War II Era Imagery, or good prints that could be enlarged for
the purpose of building target folders and briefing.  Prefer photos from
the 7th Photo Group, which was the 8th AF recon source, but at this
point I'm not picky.

5.  AAA order of battle for Western Europe (area serviced by 8th AF).  I
would prefer US listing of order of battle over actual AAAOB (what 8th
AF thought was there versus what was really there--but I'm not
picky)--time frame--43, 44, 45.

6.  Air Order of Battle--again, what 8th AF thought was there, not
actually was there.

7.  Good, WWII mock-up aircraft (B-17, Focke-Wolf, ME-109, ME-110), for
the purpose of debriefing aircrews, and training sessions.

8.  A USAAF bicycle--what was used at airfields around England.

Not much, eh???  Having put these types of impressions together before,
you have to attack them at several angles at once to get results.

If anybody knows of any specifics, please contact me direct, or on the
conference.

Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 21:17:37 +0100
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: First use of Napalm

 On another list there is a discussion going on about Napalm and it's first
use.  Can someone here tell me Where and when? I would actually like to know
first use in both ETO & PTO ( what about CBI?)

Thanks

Bob Smart ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 22:32:40 EDT
From:    John Sherwood <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: AOB--ETO

Have you called the Center for Air Force History: (202)-767-0412. Ask for
Mark.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1993 22:50:41 EDT
From:    John Sherwood <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: First use of Napalm

I couldn't find when napalm was first used but I did find out who
invented the weapon.  According to Ronald Schaffer in *Wings of
Judgement*, "The National Defense Research Committee, esatblished in
1940 to coordinated the military work of American scientists, created
an incendiary weapons section. NDRC specialists worked with the Arthur D.
Little Company, the E. I. du Pont Corporation, Eastman Kodak, the Standard
Oil Development Company, and other chemical suppliers and users to
develop a fire weapon. The Standard Oil Group soon devised a small,
extremely efficient bomb, designated the M-69, which ejected napalm
from its tail. This was the jellied gasoline product created chiefly
by Harvard University chemist Louis Fieser, a leading figure in the NDRC
incendiary program."(p,108)

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 23 May 1993 to 24 May 1993
*************************************************