Subject: WWII-L Digest - 6 May 1993 to 7 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1993 00:00:55 -0400

There are 4 messages totalling 246 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 7 MAY 43
  2. Airshows (3)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 7 May 1993 07:20:17 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 7 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 7 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-40, Curtiss
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, an attempted mission to Kiska by 6 P-40's is aborted
due to weather.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  In England, Lieutenant General Jacob L. Devers is appointed Commanding
General European Theater of Operations, U.S. Army replacing General
Andrews who was killed in Iceland on Monday.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Tunisia, B-25's hit the town of Kelibia. P-40's bomb and strafe
shipping in the Gulf of Tunis, severely damaging 3 boats.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily during the night of 6/7 May, Northwest African Strategic Air
Force (NASAF) Wellingtons bomb the docks and shipping at Trapani as a
diversion for a mine-laying mission off Malta.
    In Tunisia, NASAF P-40's attack motor vessels, the quay and dock area
at Tunis harbor. Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters,
A-20's, and medium bombers hit El Aouina Airfield and traffic on the roads
around Tunis, especially the Tunis-Bizerte road, as the Allied forces of
Lieutenant General Harold R. Alexander's 18 Army Group overrun both Tunis
and Bizerte, splitting the enemy's forces.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-17's and B-24's bomb the airfield, supply dumps, and
other targets at Madang while A-20's hit forces in the Green's Hill area.
  In Timor, B-25's pound Penfoei.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 7 May 1993 14:48:04 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Airshows

          AIRSHOWS IN THE NORTHEASTERN UNITED STATES, 1993
                     ISSUE 2, MAY 7, 1993

This is the latest list of airshows in the Northeastern U.S. that I have
been able to compose.  The list is sorted by state and any military aerobatic
or parachute team appearing is noted.  Also noted is any known telephone
numbers; please call the telephone number listed for further information.
I will gladly update this list with any additions, changes and/or
deletions.  Just e-mail me at [email-masked]

REASON FOR REISSUE
------------------
Add McGuire AFB, New Jersey (I understand that their theme this
year is nostalgia and they are trying to get REAL airplanes, i.e.,
those with propellers!!

CONNECTICUT
-----------
Meriden: August 29 (203-238-1911)

DELAWARE
--------
Nothing listed

MAINE
-----
Bingham: September 24-26 (207-672-4135)
NAS Brunswick: Golden Knights, July 24-25 (207-921-2527)

MARYLAND
--------
Andrews AFB: Golden Knights, May 14-16; Thunderbirds, May 14-15
College Park: September 18-19 (301-864-5844)
NAS Patuxent River: Blue Angels, May 22; Golden Knights, May 22-23
  (301-863-1141)
US Naval Academy, Annapolis: Blue Angels, May 24 (they will be practicing
  at the USNA on May 23 between 2 and 4 PM)

MASSACHUSETTS
-------------
Andover: Golden Knights, May 31
Hanscom AFB: Golden Knights and Thunderbirds, June 26-27
NAS South Weymouth: Blue Angels, June 12-13 (617-785-2786)

NEW HAMPSHIRE
-------------
Concord: Golden Knights, June 26-27
Pease AFB(?): September 25-26 (617-274-0002)

NEW JERSEY
----------
McGuire AFB: September 26 (609-724-2358)
Readington: July 30-August 1 (908-534-4000)
Sussex: August 27-29 (201-875-0783 and 201-875-7337)

NEW YORK
--------
Coney Island: Thunderbirds, May 29
Elmira: Blue Angels, July 3-4
Geneseo: August 20-22 (716-385-2390)
Rochester: Thunderbirds, May 16 (716-243-2255)

PENNSYLVANIA
------------
Erie: July 17-18 (814-833-7343)
Franklin: June 26-27 (814-432-5333)
Latrobe: Golden Knights, May 8-9
Mifflintown: June 27 (717-436-6036)
Quakertown: June 4-6 (215-997-9519 or 215-538-3055)
Reading: August 28-29 (215-372-4666)
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton IAP: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, August 21-22

RHODE ISLAND
------------
North Kingstown: Golden Knights, May 29-30; Thunderbirds,  May 30
  (401-888-1420)

VERMONT
-------
Burlington: Golden Knights, September 18-19

VIRGINIA
--------
Langley AFB: August 7
Manassas: September 18-19 (703-631-2423)
NAS Oceana: Blue Angels, September 11-12 (804-433-2818)
Norfolk Harborfest: June 4-6 (804-627-5329)
Richmond: May 22-23

WEST VIRGINIA
-------------
Huntington: Golden Knights, May 15-16 (614-532-0435)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 7 May 1993 16:23:50 -0400
From:    John Peterson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Airshows

     Hi all.  Seeing this list reminded me of something that may be of
interest to many of you.  This year, for the first time since the
tradition began, the Griffiss AFB Annual Open House at Rome, NY has
been cancelled.  It was always a great show with a huge turnout and
about every other year had either the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds.
They also always had lots of vintage aircraft and aircraft demos.  The
reason??  Griffiss has been cut back in the DOD budget cuts and can't
afford to do it.  It's sad that things like this are happening and will
continue to happen over the next few years, but that's the way it goes.
Many of Griffiss' operations are being moved to Plattsburgh AFB--I doubt
as many people will show up to something of the sort there,but....

     My apologies if most or all of you already knew about this, but I
felt I would make my consternation known.  The Open House will be
sorely missed in central NY, the next closest air shows are in Geneseo
and Fulton.  Thanks for your time.

John Peterson
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 7 May 1993 19:57:11 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Airshows

>      Hi all.  Seeing this list reminded me of something that may be of
> interest to many of you.  This year, for the first time since the
> tradition began, the Griffiss AFB Annual Open House at Rome, NY has
> been cancelled.  It was always a great show with a huge turnout and
> about every other year had either the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds.
> They also always had lots of vintage aircraft and aircraft demos.  The
> reason??  Griffiss has been cut back in the DOD budget cuts and can't
> afford to do it.  It's sad that things like this are happening and will
> continue to happen over the next few years, but that's the way it goes.
> Many of Griffiss' operations are being moved to Plattsburgh AFB--I doubt
> as many people will show up to something of the sort there,but....
>
>      My apologies if most or all of you already knew about this, but I
> felt I would make my consternation known.  The Open House will be
> sorely missed in central NY, the next closest air shows are in Geneseo
> and Fulton.  Thanks for your time.

It's worse than that, because you're going to be seeing less and less and
less.  The National Guard has always been very good about sending aircraft
to shows large and small on "training missions."  (The guard is also
popular because they are not restricted by the 8,000' with arresting
gear requirements of the regular military).

Yet, the guard and all other military branches are _already_ cutting back
on all training flights which means less appearance at airshows and
displays.

The budget cuts are going to hurt everybody... Not just the big shows that
have to close.  Smaller ones that rely heavily on just a single jet to
be parked to attract another 5-10,000 people... These numbers mean a lot
to the non-profit organizations that rely exclusively on these shows.

Like I said, they're going to hurt everybody -- and at a time when it's
getting too expensive to do these shows.  Really unfortunate.  I didn't
vote for the person who is initiating this, so don't blame me... :-)

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force
  You know you've made a gear-up landing when it takes full power to taxi.

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 6 May 1993 to 7 May 1993
***********************************************