Subject: WWII-L Digest - 5 May 1993 to 6 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1993 00:00:46 -0400

There are 11 messages totalling 600 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. How to order from GPO.
  2. GPO store locations & phone numbers
  3. USAAF 6 MAY 43 (2)
  4. Reply to your memo dated         Tue, 4 May 1993 16:00:46 -0400
  5. Krupp's Gustav a.k.a. Dora
  6. D-Day 50th Anniversary!
  7. Horoscope (2)
  8. OPS: Japanese Amphibious Operations, 12/14 (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 00:41:09 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: How to order from GPO.

How to Order

1. Use the information obtained from the catalog of Government Publications
   within this data base or use the latest edition of Government Periodicals
   and Subscription Services (Price List 36) or the latest available edition
   of the GPO Sales Publication Reference File when ordering subscriptions.

2. Always indicate whether the order is for an entire subscription service or
   for an individual issue.

3. If you are requesting an entire subscription service, indicate whether it
   is a new order or a renewal.  Renewal notices are normally mailed out 90
   days prior to the expiration of the current subscription period (except
   for revised basic and supplemental subscriptions). Do not send in renewals
   until you have received the GPO subscription renewal form. The GPO form
   will ensure uninterrupted service to your subscription provided it is
   returned within the time specified on the form.

4. Order by the complete title of each subscription service and by the
   subscription list ID (the subscription list ID appears in brackets in the
   lower left corner after each descriptive paragraph for each subscription,
   e.g., BGN for Background Notes on Countries of the World). To expedite
   the processing of your order, include the File Code listed in parentheses
   under the subscription list ID, e.g. File Code 2M.

5. If you are requesting an individual issue of a subscription service,
   please provide the complete title, volume number, issue number and date if
   the issue is a dated (regularly issued) periodical. Individual issues
   are retained for only a limited period of time, and the number of back
   issues retained will vary depending on the nature of the periodical. The
   number of back issues retained appears in brackets following the single
   copy price, e.g., Single copy price: Domestic - $2.00 a copy; Foreign -
   $2.50 a copy [12]. (NOTE: There are some periodicals which do not have
   single copy sales and some which have single copies sold by the
   issuing agency. However, some back issues are retained for office use in
   filling lost claims or replacing copies damaged in delivery. These will
   appear in bold type in price list 36 and single copies cannot ordered
   on those periodicals unless advised they are for sale by the issuing
   agency.)

6. Single copies of some irregularly issued subscriptions are also
   available for sale. Contact the Superintendent of Documents (unless
   directed to another source in the descriptive portion of the Subscription
   item) for availability and price information. Records of individual issues
   of certain irregular subscriptions are also classified on the GPO Sales
   Publications Reference File. Single issues of basic and supplemental
   subscriptions are not for sale.

7. Subscriptions are accepted for one year only, unless otherwise specified.
   On basic and supplemental services, customers will receive all material to
   date and supplemental material which is issued for the remainder of the
   subscription period. Customers requesting dated periodicals receive the
   next scheduled issue of the calendar year subscriptions (i.e., Monthly C
   atalog of U.S. Government Publications, Index Medicus, Code of Federal
   Regulations, National Library of Medicine Audiovisuals Catalog, Type
   Certificate Data Sheets and Specifications, Volume I through VI,
   Microfiche) for which back material is provided to customers regardless of
   when they submit their orders during the year.

8. Mail Orders should be addressed to :
   Superintendent of Documents
   U.S. Government Printing Office
   Washington, D.C. 20402

9. Include on your order your complete name and address, a telephone number
   where you can be reached during the day, date, order number or purchase
   order number (if any), Deposit Account Number (if applicable), and
   shipping address if the order is to be shipped to another location. Also
   include quantity, Sub List ID, File Code, title, price, first-class or
   airmail postage costs (when desired) and total cost of the order.

10. Telephone orders may be placed to reduce processing time if your order
    is to be charged to a VISA, MasterCard, or prepaid Superintendent of
    Documents Deposit Account. Customers may call the Order Desk in
    Washington, D.C. at (202) 783-3238 (nonFTS commercial number), between
    8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., eastern time, Monday through Friday, except
    holidays.

11. Telephone ordering service is also provided by GPO bookstores if an
    order is to be charged to one of the accounts described above (refer to
    the list of bookstores on the reverse side of the order blanks in the
    Government Periodicals and Subscription Services Price List 36 or to
    the list provided in this database).  Orders for subscription services
    or single subscription issues not avialable from the bookstore will be
    forwarded by the bookstore to the Central Office (GPO) in Washington,
    D.C., for processing.

12. Teletype ordering is available to those customers who have access to
    such equipment. Orders must be charged to VISA, Mastercard, or prepaid
    Superintendent of Documents Deposit Account and can be placed by dialing
    TWX 710 822-9413; ANSWERBACK USGPO WSH.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 00:41:47 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: GPO store locations & phone numbers

U.S. Government Printing Office Bookstores
To serve you better, the GPO operates 25 bookstores in 21 cities around the
country. While the bookstores carry only a small percentage of the many
thousands of titles in our active sales inventory, they do have the ones
most in demand and can accept orders for any not carried in a store. Single
issues of some of the more popular periodicals are available in the stores
for over the counter sales.

The Retail Sales Outlet in Laurel, Maryland is a part of our Retail
Distribution Dvision and has access to all titles currently in stock.
Customers having an immediate need for one or more publications are
encouraged to pick up their books at the Laurel Retail Sales Outlet where
feasible. Before going to Laurel, please call our order desk at 202/783-3238
to check on the price, stock number, and availability of the publication(s)
desired.

All of our bookstores and the sales outlet accept MasterCard, VISA,, or
prepaid Superintendent of Documents deposit account charges. If one of our
bookstores or the Laurel outlet is convenient to you, why not stop in and
get acquainted. Our managers and their staffs will be happy to answer any
questions you may have about our many publications and services. The
addresses and phone numbers of the bookstore and the retail sales outlets
are listed below.

Bookstores

Atlanta
Room 100, Federal Building
275 Peachtree Street, N
E Atlanta,Georgia 30303
(404) 221-6947

Birmingham
9220-B Parkway East Roebuck Shopping City
Birmingham, Alabama 35206
(205) 254-1056

Boston
Room G25, Federal Building
Sudbury Street
Boston, Mass. 02203
(617) 233-6071

Chicago
Room 1365 Federal Building
219 South Dearborn St.
Chicago, Illinois 60604
(312) 353-5133

Cleveland
First Floor, Federal Building
1240 East Ninth St.
Cleveland, Ohio 44199
(216) 522-4922

Columbus
Room 207, Federal Building
200 North High Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
(614) 469-6956

Dallas
Room 1C50, Federal Building
1100 Commerce Street
Dallas, Texas 75242
(214) 767-0076

Denver
Room 117, Federal Building
1961 Stout Street
Denver, Colorado 80294
(303) 837-3964

Detroit
Federal Building Suite 160
477 Michigan Avenue
Detroit, Michigan 48226
(313) 226-7816

Houston
45 College Center
9319 Gulf Freeway
Houston, Texas 77017
(713) 229-3515/16

Jacksonville
Room 158, Federal Building
400 West Bay Street
Jacksonville, Florida 32202
(904) 791-3801

Kansas City
Room 144, Federal Building
601 East 12th Street
Kansas City, Missouri
64106 (816) 374-2160

Los Angeles
ARCO Plaza, C Level
505 S. Flower St.
Los Angeles, Ca. 90071
(213) 688-5841

Milwaukee
Room 190, Federal Building
517 E. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
(414) 291-1304

New York
Room 110 26 Federal Plaza
New York, New York 10278
(212) 264-3825

Philadelphia
Room 1214, Federal Building
600 Arch St.
Philadelphia, Pa. 19106
(215)596-0667

Pittsburgh
Room 118, Federal Building
1000 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pa. 15222
(412) 644-2721

Pueblo
World Savings Bldg.
720 North Main Street
Pueblo, Colorado 81003
(303) 544-3142

San Francisco
Room 1023, Federal Building
450 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, Ca. 94102
(415) 556-0643

Seattle
Room 194, Federal Building
915 Second Avenue Seattle,
Washington 98174
(206) 442-4270

Washington, D.C.
Government Printing Office
710 North Capitol Street, NW.
Washington, D.C. 20401
(202) 275-2091

Department of Commerce
14th & E Streets, NW Room 1604, First Floor
Washington, D.C. 20230
(202) 377-3527

Department of Health and Human Services
Room 1528, H.H.S. North Bldg.
330 Independence Ave. SW
Washington, D.C. 20201
(202) 472-7478

Farragut West Matomic Building
1717 H Street N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20555
(202) 653-5075

Pentagon Main Concourse,
South End Room 2E172
Washington, D.C.
(703) 557-1821

RETAIL SALES OUTLET
Laurel
8660 Cherry Lane
Laurel, Maryland 20707
(301) 953-7974

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 08:14:10 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 6 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 6 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/wwii/usaaf

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutians, B-24's, B-25's and P-38's drop over 52 tons (47.2
tonnes) on Attu targets including Holtz Bay, Sarana Bay, and the Chichagof
Harbor area and nearby gun positions. Kiska is also hit. Targets include
radar gun positions and the Gertrude Cove and Main Camp areas. Returning
P-38's also bomb and strafe a hut on Rat Island. P-40's blast Kiska and
Little Kiska.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy, B-24's bomb Reggio di Calabria harbor, hitting several
vessels and shore installations.
    In Tunisia, B-25's attack Furna and Massicault and surrounding areas.
P-40's hit shipping in the Gulf of Tunis and vehicles and buildings along
the coast.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's,
escorted by fighters, bomb Marsala and Trapani.
    In Italy, B-25's and B-26's, escorted by fighters, bomb a convoy SW of
Marettimo Island, the port of Favignana, and vessels W of Mitrettimo.
    In Tunisia, the British 18 Army Group opens the final assault on Tunis
and Bizerte before dawn. The assault is supported by massed artillery fire
and the most intensive air bombardment yet employed in North Africa.
Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) airplanes bomb El Aouina, La
Sebala, and Ariana Airfields during the night of 5/6 May. Today, fighters,
A-20's, and medium bombers fly over 1,400 sorties, attacking Protville and
La Sebala Airfields, trucks on the Massicault-Tunis road, Bordj Frendj,
Djebel Achour, traffic SW of Tunis, troops N of Massicault, the Djedeida-
Saint-Cyprien road, the road S of Djedeida, and numerous other points of
strength in extreme NE Tunisia.  B-25's and B-26's bomb 2 beached vessels
at Cape Zebib, and ships, a lighthouse, and parked aircraft near Capes
Fortass, Zebib, Cap Serrat and at Protville. Fighters escort the bombing
missions.
    The 48th Fighter Squadron, 14th Fighter Group with P-38's transfers
from Mediouna, French Morocco to Telergma, Algeria.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, P-40's and Navy dive bombers and fighters hit Munda
Airfield. During the evening, B-24's carry out harassing strikes on Kahili
Airfield and on Fauro and Balla Island.
  HQ 4th Photographic Reconnaissance and Mapping Group transfers from
Espiritu Santo to Guadalcanal.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, A-20's hit forces in the Green's Hill area. Single B-24's
hit Madang and Finschhafen while other B-24's hit Manokwari and Toeal..
  In Timor, B-25's pound Dili.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 09:15:00 CDT
From:    Bill Kupersmith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Reply to your memo dated         Tue, 4 May 1993 16:00:46 -0400

There was a British television version shown on American
public television on Masterpiece Theatre last summer.  I
quite enjoyed it.  Most noticeable change was that the Hurricanes
were played by Spitfires--I assume because there aren't enough
Hurricanes left to give the impression of a fighter squadron.

--Bill Kupersmith
University of Iowa

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 16:14:01 MEZ
From:    Randy Andy Psycho <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Krupp's Gustav a.k.a. Dora

hi

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 12:02:35 -0500
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: D-Day 50th Anniversary!

Reposted from soc.veterans:

Found In "Naval History" Magazine, Summer 1993:

                      Action on the North Atlantic 1944
                          The Normandy Convoy!  D-Day

       The greatest armada in history was assembled by the Allies in June
  1944 as they breached Hitler's Atlantic Wall.  Never again will the world
  see such a gathering of ships!  Soon, in commemoration of the 50th anniver-
  sary of this great Allied victory, a magnificent celebration will be held
  on the beaches of Normandy.  As a part of that celebration, the volunteer
  crews of the three steaming World War II Merchant Marine memorials S.S.
  John W. Brown, S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien and S.S. Lane Victory are planning a
  voyage, in convoy, to Europe and the invasion beaches.
       To help make this voyage a reality, you can:  sign on as a volunteer
  crew member; become a corporate sponsor, earning an opportunity to show-
  case your company's products on board the vessels as they tour Europe
  after the Normandy Commemoration; support the effort with your contribution.
       For more information, contact:

        Mr. John Boylston               RAdm. Tom Patterson
        President                       c/o Ms. Marci Hooper
        Project Liberty Ship            Business Manager
        P.O. Box 311                    S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien
        Solomons, MD  20688             National Liberty Ship Memorial
        FAX: (410) 326-6150             Fort Mason Center, Building A
                                        San Francisco, CA  94123-1382
                                        FAX:  (415) 567-9715

        Mr. Clint Johnson
        U.S. Merchant Marine
        Veterans of WWII
        S.S. Lane Victory
        P.O. Box 629
        San Pedro, CA  90733-0629
        FAX: (310) 519-0265

Larry J
--
#L.W. Jewell Moderator at the Veterans Information Site ([email-masked])#
#& WWII-L Listowner: "Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange,#
#sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all   #
#phases of life." "Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41  #

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 15:28:07 -0500
From:    Neal Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Horoscope

 "Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange,#
> #sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all   #
> #phases of life." "Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41  #
>

  Pardon me, but this is the first time I noticed this.

  Was this written for all of the Zodiac signs or was this one of those
"If you were born on this day..." things?

  Another thing...  If the astrologers new about it then why didn't
we listen closer to our own guys?  8-)

Neal Smith
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 22:26:48 +0200
From:    Chris Scogings <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF 6 MAY 43

>AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
>  In the Aleutians, [...]. Returning P-38's also bomb and strafe a hut
>on Rat Island.

A HUT !!!?

You know the pilots are frustrated when...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Scogings                      Voice: (27) 331 955645
Computer Science Dept                 Fax: (27) 331 955599
University of Natal
Pietermaritzburg                   E-Mail:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 17:47:58 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Horoscope

>
>"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange,#
>sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all   #
>phases of life." "Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41  #

>
>   Pardon me, but this is the first time I noticed this.
>
>   Was this written for all of the Zodiac signs or was this one of those
> "If you were born on this day..." things?

I swiped it from an special issue of Life magazine covering Pearl Harbor.
What you see is what they printed, so I don't know any more about the line.

>   Another thing...  If the astrologers new about it then why didn't
> we listen closer to our own guys?  8-)

EVERYBODY knew the Japanes were going to attack Pearl Harbor, yes?
(Uh, everybody check the charter before this topic gets out of hand, OK?)

> Neal Smith
> [email-masked]

Larry J

#L.W. Jewell Moderator at the Veterans Information Site ([email-masked])#
#& WWII-L Listowner: "Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange,#
#sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all   #
#phases of life." "Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41  #

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 21:23:05 EDT
From:    Robert E George <[email-masked]>
Subject: OPS: Japanese Amphibious Operations, 12/14

On p.174 of "Fallen Stars: Eleven Studies of Twentieth Century
Military Disasters" Duncan Anderson writes:

     "By the third week of December [1941], the Japanese had launched
nine amphibious operations. Six of these had been successful because
unopposed; of the three that had been opposed, two ended in defeat and
one in near disaster."

On p. 187 he lists:

Opposed:  Kotabaru   December 8
        Wake  Island   December 12
          Hong Kong    December 17

Can anybody (will anybody -- I'm sure many can) post some details
about these?

Rob

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 May 1993 21:16:52 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: OPS: Japanese Amphibious Operations, 12/14

>
> On p.174 of "Fallen Stars: Eleven Studies of Twentieth Century
> Military Disasters" Duncan Anderson writes:
>
>      "By the third week of December [1941], the Japanese had launched
> nine amphibious operations. Six of these had been successful because
> unopposed; of the three that had been opposed, two ended in defeat and
> one in near disaster."

  Presumably the three listed below are not the defeats though Wake was
a near disaster due to the underestimation of the willingness of the
garrison there to fight.  (Not that the garrison at Kota Bharu or Hong
Kong didn't want to fight, but since I've fought with, and occasionally
against U.S. Marines, you have to know that those guys are just plain
stubborn.)

> On p. 187 he lists:
>
> Opposed:  Kotabaru   December 8

            No serious opposition. Yamashita had expected 1000 casualties,
            he got 27.

>           Wake  Island   December 12

            1st Invasion postponed when shore batteries abused IJN ships.

>           Hong Kong    December 17

            The assault on Hong Kong started on December 8th, Tokyo time
and the commander of the garrison thought he could hold out for a week to
ten days.

> Can anybody (will anybody -- I'm sure many can) post some details
> about these?
>
> Rob
>
Larry J

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 5 May 1993 to 6 May 1993
***********************************************