Subject: WWII-L Digest - 10 May 1993 to 11 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1993 00:00:58 -0400

There are 3 messages totalling 643 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 11 MAY 43
  2. USAAF 11 MAY 43 ... A-36 "Apache"
  3. Recent acquisitions at byrd.mu.wvnet.edu

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 11 May 1993 07:16:58 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 11 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 11 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eleventh Air Force)
  In the Aleutian Islands, the following missions are flown to support US
forces landing on Attu: 1 air-ground liaison sortie by 1 B-24; a B-24
supply sortie dropping supplies to ground forces; and 5 attack missions,
flown by 11 B-24's and 12 B-25's. The first attack mission cannot find the
target and instrument-bombs targets which include the runway, radar,
submarine base, and camp area. Because of poor visibility the next 2
missions hit Kiska, where the runway and Main Camp are attacked. Two B-24's
then bomb the Chichagof Harbor area through fog while another drops
leaflets on Attu.

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  The 26th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 11th Bombardment Group (Heavy),
with B-17's, transfers from Bellows Field to Wheeler Field, Territory of
Hawaii and begins transitioning to B-24D's.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    In Burma, 6 B-24's pound Syriam, causing large fires in the town area.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  HQ 94th Bombardment Group (Heavy) and it's 331st, 332d, 333d and 410th
Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy) with B-17F's, arrive at Earls Colne, England
from the US. The group will fly it's first combat mission on Thursday.
  The 334th, 335th, 336th and 412th Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 95th
Bombardment Group (Heavy), with B-17F's, arrive at Framlingham, England
from the US. The squadrons will fly their first combat mission on
Thursday.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, B-24's strike Catania harbor, severely damaging the harbor
area and several ships.
    In Tunisia, B-25's strike the battle area in NE Tunisia.  P-40's fly
escort and armed reconnaissance, and carry out bombing and strafing
missions in the Cap Bon area against motor transport, concentrations,
roads, docks, and AA batteries.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's,
B-26's, and B-25's bomb Marsala, hitting the warehouse, docks, railroad
yards, seaplane base, and city area.
    In Italy, NASAF P-40's bomb and strafe harbor at San Michele.
    In Tunisia, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters and
A-20's attack vehicles, gun positions and troop concentrations in the
Zaghouan-Sainte-Marie du Zit area and on Cap Bon as the British 4 Division
completes an uneventful sweep around the Cap Bon peninsula, revealing no
important forces there. Resistance in the Zaghouan sector weakens.
    The 29th and 48th Troop Carrier Squadrons, 313th Troop Carrier Group,
with C-47's arrive at Oujda, French Morocco from the US.
    The 310th, 311th and 312th Bombardment Squadrons (Dive), 86th
Bombardment Group (Dive), with A-36's, arrive at La Senia, Algeria from
the US.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons, B-17's fly harassing strikes during the night of 10/11
May against Kahili Airfield and Shortland Island.
  The 390th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 42d Bombardment Group (Medium)
with B-25's, transfers from the Fiji Islands to Guadalcanal.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-17's and B-24's hit the airfield and
general area at Rabaul.
  In Timor, B-25's bomb Penfoei and Dili.
  The 403d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 43d Bombardment Group (Heavy),
with B-24's transfers from Mareeba, Queensland, Australia to Port
Moresby, New Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 11 May 1993 08:55:10 -0400
From:    Steve Allen-Shinn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF 11 MAY 43 ... A-36 "Apache"

Jack McKillop ([email-masked]) wrote:

>AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
>  A-20, Douglas Havoc
>  A-36, North American Apache
>...

According to my sources (I don't have the title/author handy right
now but can get it... something along the lines of U.S. Fighters,
and also previous net news posts by Joe Baugher) the A-36 was called
the "Invader".  It was the dive bomber version of the P-51.  The
P-51 was originally called the "Apache" by the USAAF, but the more
common Brittish name, "Mustang", was so popular that the USAAF
switched to that now familiar name.

Steve

--
Steve Allen-Shinn       [email-masked]
Martin Marietta         Daytona Beach, Fla.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 11 May 1993 13:45:00 -0400
From:    "Michael J. McCarthy" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Recent acquisitions at byrd.mu.wvnet.edu

        I have been informed by Mark Becker at the University of Kansas that
access to byrd through the gopher server HNSource is now both available and
reliable.

Recent acquisistions at byrd.mu.wvnet.edu

(since 20 April 1993):

     As always, thanks are in order for Larry Jewell for his many
     contributions.  Also, credit must go to Loomis Mayfield and
     Samuel A. Fletcher for their offerings.

1.   WHATSNEW.TXT file

     The file WHATSNEW.TXT in the pub/history subdirectory will
     contain brief descriptions of the latest acquisitions to
     byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (this file).

2.   Graphics images (.GIF files)

     We have received and stored a large number of .GIF graphic
     files on a variety of topics, including aviation and maritime
     history as well as the Vietnam War.  Check the indices (.idx
     files) in the /pictures subdirectories of the appropriate
     directories (ex:  pub/history/military/vietnam/pictures), or
     look for files with the .gif suffix.

     Directories containing .GIF files include:

     pub/history/diplomatic
     pub/history/maritime/pictures
     pub/history/military/airforce/pictures
     pub/history/military/civil_war_usa
     pub/history/military/vietnam/pictures
     pub/history/military/wwi
     pub/history/military/wwii
     pub/history/political/united_states/presidency

     One caveat:  these .GIF files take up loads of disk space.  I
     cannot, therefore, guarantee that they will remain for long.
     If you are interested in retrieving them, I suggest that you
     do so soon.  They might disappear without notice.

3.   Government Printing Office

     Two files in the pub/history/general subdirectory,
     gpo_order.txt and gpo_stores.txt, give information on finding
     and ordering from US Goverment Printing Office bookstores.

4.   pub/history/military/airforce subdirectory

     A new subdirectory has been created to house the USAAF WWII
     chronology (now in the pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology subdirectory), graphics images and other
     related information.  It also contains a list of upcoming
     airshows in North America (airshows.txt)

5.   pub/history/military/civil_war_usa subdirectory

     This new subdirectory has been created and so far stores only
     relevent graphics images.  Look for other files related to the
     American Civil War in the future.

6.   We The People:  Windows Hypertext

     A Windows Hypertext package, We The People, is now stored as
     wtp.txt and wtp.zip in the pub/history/political/united_states
     subdirectory.

7.   JFK's Berlin Address

     Kennedy's Berlin Address is contained in the file
     jfk_berlin.txt in the pub/history/political/united_states/
     presidency subdirectory

8.   Lincoln's First and Second Inaugural Addresses

     Lincoln's First and Second Inaugural Addresses are in the
     files lincoln1.inaug and lincoln2.inaug in the pub/history/
     political/united_states/presidency subdirectory.

9.   WWII documents in the pub/history/military/wwii directory

     axis_distrib.txt describes the distribution of Axis forces in
     Europe on 6 June 1944, eisenhower_dir.txt contains the
     directive given to Eisenhower for the D-Day Invasion and
     overlord.txt contains the Overlord Digest.

     Justice.pap is an undergraduate paper by Samuel A. Fletcher
     about courts in the 3rd Reich.

10.  Conversion of historical US dollars

     The file dollars.txt in the pub/history/general subdirectory
     contains methods for converting historical dollars to constant
     dollars.

11.  Internet resources

     The file holocaust.txt in the pub/history/internet
     subdirectory contains access instructions for the Victoria
     Freenet Holocaust and Fascism Archives.  In the
     pub/history/internet/library subdirectory, the files
     lib_congress.txt and ucal_bookstore.txt contain information on
     Telnet access to the Library of Congress and the University of
     California Bookstore, respectively.

        Attached is the complete INDEX file to byrd.mu.wvnet.edu.  I doubt that
I will include the entire INDEX file with future updates since it is becoming
quite large.  If you are already familiar with the holdings of
byrd.mu.wvnet.edu, you need read no further.

-------------
Mike McCarthy                   "An hungry historian spent a hour and an half
Marshall Univ. History Dept.    hasking an hundred friends habout indefinate
Huntington, WV 25755, USA       harticles.  An history of the event made 'er
[email-masked]       an happy camper."
[email-masked]                  -- Jamie Drier, An Philosopher

================================ATTACHMENT===================================
FILE INDEX FOR HISTORY FTP SITE:

BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
129.71.32.152
pub/history

Managers:
Mike McCarthy, Marshall Univ. ([email-masked])
Donna Spindel, Marshall Univ. ([email-masked])

Honorary Manager and Major Contributor:
Larry Jewell ([email-masked])

UPDATE: 11 May 1993

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history:
INDEX               Index of files and directories on
                    byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (this file)
WHATSNEW.TXT        Recent acquisitions
diplomatic          Subdir: diplomatic history
ethnic              Subdir: ethnicity history
general             Subdir: history as a discipline & profession
instruction         Subdir: teaching history (syllabi, exams,
                    etc)
internet            Subdir: use of internet in research
maritime            Subdir: maritime/naval history
marshall            Subdir: files specific to Marshall Univ.
                    History Dept.
military            Subdir: military history
political           Subdir: political / government
submissions         Subdir: submissions from anonymous ftp users
                    (write access to all anonymous ftp)
utilities           Subdir: utility programs (pkunzip, uudecode,
                    cshow, etc.)
women               Subdir: women's history

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/diplomatic:
coldwar             Subdir: Coldwar diplomatic history
un.gif              BINARY: United Nations flag graphic
united_states       Subdir: US diplomatic history

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/diplomatic/coldwar:
u-2.txt             Documents relating to the U-2 Incident, May
                    1960

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/diplomatic/united_states:
1921-1939           Subdir: Period 1921-1939 (interwar years)
greenville.txt      Text of Treaty of Greenville (1795)
monroe-doctrine.txt Text of Monroe Doctrine
neutral_procl.txt   Text of Neutrality Proclamation (1793)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/diplomatic/united_states/1921-1939:
hemi_def.txt        Text of Dept. of State Bulletin on Hemisphere
                    Defense, 8/18/40
lend-lease.act      Text of Lend Lease Act (1941)
naval_limit.txt     Documents relating to the Naval Limitation
                    Treaty, 6 February 1922
neutrality.act_37   Text of Neutrality Act (1937)
neutrality.act_39   Text of Neutrality Act (1939)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/ethnic:
african-american    Subdir: African-American history
native-american     Subdir: Native-American history

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/ethnic/african-american:
emanc_procl.txt     Text of Emancipation Proclamation (1862)

i-have-a-dream.txt  Test of King's "I Have a Dream" speech (1963)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/ethnic/native-american:
greenville.txt      Text of Treaty of Greenville (1795)
iroquois_const.txt  Text of Iroquois Constitution
iroquois_readme.txt Commentary to accompany Iroqouis Const.

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/general:
chair_newsletter    Subdir: issues of Dept. Chair Newsletter, M.
                    Galgano, ed.
dept_ranks.txt      US News detailed ranking of History Ph.D.
                    depts
dollars.txt         Various ways to convert historical dollars to
                    constant dollars
gpo_order.txt       Info on ordering from US Gov't Printing Office
gpo_stores.txt      Listing of US Gov't Printing Office stores

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/general/chair_newsletter:
issue31.txt         Text of issue 31

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/instruction:
exams               Subdir: sample history exams
mu_hst500           Subdir: for use by Marshall's methods course
syllabi             Subdir: sample history course syllabi

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/instruction/exams:
us_survey2a.exm     US Survey II (Since 1877) exam (McCarthy)
us_survey2b.exm     US Survey II (Since 1877) exam (McCarthy)
us_survey2c.exm     US Survey II (Since 1877) exam (McCarthy)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/instruction/syllabi:
am_revolution.syl   American Revolution syllabus (Spindel)
marshall            Subdir: Current Marshall Univ. courses
us_legal.syl        United States Legal History syllabus
                    (Spindel)
us_survey1a.syl     US Survey I (To 1877) syllabus (Spindel)
us_survey2a.syl     US Survey II (Since 1877) syllabus (McCarthy)
us_survey2b.syl     US Survey II (Since 1877) syllabus (McCarthy)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/internet:
ftp_help.txt        Instructions on using FTP
h-net.lists         BITNET lists of interest to historians
history.network     Charter of History Network
history_ftp         Subdir: FTP sites of interest to historians
holocaust.txt       Access instructions for Victoria Freenet's
                    Holocaust and Fascism Archives
inet.services       Catalog of special internet services (Archie,
                    Baseball scores, CARL, etc.)
internet.faq1       Frequently Asked Questions about internet
                    (#1)
internet.faq2       Frequently Asked Questions about internet
                    (#2)
libraries           Subdir: Addresses of TELNET accessible
                    libraries (US & UK)
listserv.database   Instructions for LISTSERVER database searches
whatis.internet     Description of internet and its uses

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/internet/history_ftp:
byrd.catalog        BYRD archive at Marshall Univ.
                    (byrd.mu.wvnet.edu; "cd pub/history")
cpet.catalog        Catalog of Projects in Electronic Text
                    archive at Georgetown Univ.
                    (guvax.georgetown.edu; "cd
                    CPET_PROJECTS_IN_ELECTRONIC_TEXT")
gheta.catalog       Groningen Historical Electronic Text Archive
                    at the Univ. of Groningen (tyr.let.rug.nl;
                    "cd pub/gheta")
malin.catalog       MALIN archive at Univ. Kansas
                    (kuhub.cc.ukans.edu; "cd dua9:[MALIN]")
ra.catalog          RA archive at Mississippi State University
                    (ra.msstate.edu; "cd pub/docs/history")
sunsite.catalog     Sunsite at Univ. North Carolina
                    (sunsite.unc.edu; "cd pub/academic")

*DIRECOTORY OF pub/history/internet/libraries:
library.catalog     Catalog of US (and some international)
                    TELNET-accessible libraries
lib_congress.txt    Access instructions for US Library of Congress
ucal_bookstore.txt  Access instructions for Univ. of California
                    Bookstore
uk-libs.catalog     Catalog of TELNET-accessible libraries in the
                    United Kingdom

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/maritime:
museums.txt         Listing of Naval & Maritime Museums
pictures            Subdir: Naval and maritime graphics

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/maritime/pictures:
maritime_pics.idx   Index of graphic files in this directory
(other files)       BINARY: Naval and maritime graphics

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military:
airforce            Subdir: Military air power
am_revolution       Subdir: American revolution
civil_war_usa       Subdir: American Civil War
united_states       Subdir: US Military History
vietnam             Subdir: Vietnam War
wwi                 Subdir: World War I
wwii                Subdir: World War II

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/airforce:
airshows.txt        Listing of upcoming airshows

pictures            Subdir: Aviation grpahics files
wwii_chronology     Subdir: Chronology of USAAF in WWII

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/airforce/pictures:
airforce_pics.idx   Index of graphic files in this directory
(other files)       BINARY: Aviation graphics

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/airforce/wwii_chronology:
apr_43.txt          USAAF chronology for April 1943
dec_42.txt          USAAF chronology for December 1942
feb_43.txt          USAAF chronology for February 1943
jan_43.txt          USAAF chronology for January 1943
mar_43.txt          USAAF chronology for March 1943

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/am_revolution:
decl_arms.txt       Text of Declaration of Arms (1775)
paris_1783.txt      Text of Treaty of Paris (1783)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/civil_war_usa:
angle.gif           BINARY: 1800s warfare
forrest.gif         BINARY: Gen. Forrest
grant1.gif          BINARY: Gen. Grant
lee1.gif            BINARY: Gen. Lee
sherman1.gif        BINARY: Gen. Sherman

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/united_states:
ucmj                Subdir: Uniform Code of Military Justice

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/united_states/ucmj:
uc_README           Readme file describing directory contents
(other files)       Text files with subchapters of Uniform Code of
                    Military Justice

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/vietnam:
diem_letters.txt    Letters to Ngo Dinh Diem from Eisenhower
                    (11/15/54) and Kennedy (1/1/62)
kia_mia             Subdir: Combat Area Casualties File Database
navy.biblio         Bibliography of US Navy in Southeast Asia
pictures            Subdir: Vietnam graphic files
pow_mia             Subdir: POW/MIA files
tonkin_gulf.txt     Text of LBJ's Speech to Congress and Tonkin
                    Gulf Resolution
vets_against.txt    Senate Testimony of John Kerry, Vietnam Vets
                    Against the War, 4/23/71
white_paper.txt     Text of Dept. of State White Paper on Vietnam
                    (2/27/65)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/vietnam/kia_mia:
00_README           Key to database fields
(other files)       The rest of the directory consists of the
                    files from the Combat Area Casualties File for
                    the Vietnam War.  The files are divided by
                    state or US territory to facilitate
                    downloading.  Standard post office
                    abbreviations are used for the filenames (ex:
                    wv.asc or oh.asc).

                    **NOTE:  The files in this subdirectory
                    contained errors and inaccuracies.  They have
                    been deleted until the corrected version of
                    the database can be obtained.

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/vietnam/pictures:
vietnam_pics.idx    Index of graphic files in this directory
(other files)       BINARY: Vietnam graphic files

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/vietnam/pow_mia:
00_README           File index for POW/MIA files
(other files)       The rest of the directory consists of the
                    Senate POW/MIA report, divided into ASCII
                    files of less than 64k each.  Assemble each
                    file in the order they appear in this
                    directory for the entire report.  See
                    00_README for individual descriptions of each
                    file.

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/wwi:
aef_mia_pow.txt     Senate Report on WWI POW/MIAs
aefplan.biblio      Bibliography on US military planning for WWI
                    (from AEFplan.txt, McCarthy)
aefplan.txt         MA Thesis on US military planning for WWI
                    (includes bibliography, McCarthy)
chronology.txt      Chronology of WWI (emphasis on US military
                    planning)
eddier.gif          BINARY: Eddie Rickenbacker graphic
flag_r.gif          BINARY: Lafayette Escadrille flag graphic
gpo_wwi.txt         Publications on WWI available from the US
                    Govt. Printing Office
swith1.gif          BINARY: Sopwith Camel graphic
wilson_c-in-c.art   Paper from Mid-America History Conference,
                    9/92, on Woodrow Wilson as Commander-in-Chief
                    (McCarthy)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/wwii:
atlantic_char.txt   Text of the Atlantic Charter
axis_distrib.txt    Distribution of Axis forces on 6 June 1944
cairo_conf.txt      Text of Cairo Conference Agreement
casablanca_conf.txt Text of Casablanca Conference Agreement
chrono_1938-41.txt  Chronology of events from 1938 - 1941
eisenhower_dir.txt  Directive given to General Dwight Eisenhower
                    for 6 June 1944
fdr_4_freedoms.txt  Text of Roosevelt's "4 Freedoms" speech
                    (1/6/41)
fdr_8_dec.txt       Text of Roosevelt's speech on 12/8/41 ("date
                    which will live in infamy")
ger_surrender.txt   Text of German surrender
gpo_wwii.txt        Publications on WWII available from the US
                    Govt. Printing Office
hgoring.gif         BINARY: Hermann Goring graphic
jap_surrender.txt   Text of Japanese surrender
justice.pap         Undergraduate paper on courts in the 3rd Reich
moscow_conf.txt     Text of Moscow Conference Agreement
north_africa.txt    Text of Roosevelt's Statement on North Africa
                    Policy on 11/17/42
overlord.txt        Operation Overlord Digest
peace_our_time.txt  Text of Chamberlain's speech on 9/30/39
                    ("peace in our time")
pearl_harbor.txt    Documents relating to Japanese attack on Pearl
                    Harbor
sept_1939           Subdir: Documents relating to the reactions of
                    European Powers to German invasion of Poland
soviet_neut.txt     Documents relating to Soviet neutrality with
                    Japan
tripartite.txt      Documents relating to Tripartite Pact
us_dec_germany.txt  Text of US declaration of war on Germany
us_dec_japan.txt    Text of US declaration of war on Japan
yalta_conf.txt      Text of Yalta Conference Agreement

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/military/wwii/sept_1939:
fr_reaction.txt     French reaction to German invasion of Poland
ger_reaction.txt    German reaction to British ultimatum
uk_reaction.txt     British reaction to German invasion of Poland

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political:
france              Subdir: France
macedonia           Subdir: Republic of Macedonia
united_kingdom      Subdir: United Kingdom
united_states       Subdir: United States of America

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/france:
rights-of-man.txt   Text of Declaration of Rights of Man (1789)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/macedonia:
macedonia.const     Constitution of the Republic of Macedonia

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united-kingdom:
magna-carta.txt     Text of Magna Carta

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states:
17th_century        Subdir: 17th Century
18th_century        Subdir: 18th Century
19th_century        Subdir: 19th Century
20th_century        Subdir: 20th Century
presidency          Subdir: The US Presidency (inaugrals, etc)
wtp.txt             We the People software description
wtp.zip             BINARY: We the People software

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/17th_century:
fund_ord_1639.txt   Text of Fundamental Orders (1639)
mayflower.txt       Text of Mayflower Compact (1620)
thanksgiving.txt    Text of First Thanksgiving Proclamation (1676)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/18th_century:
annapolis.txt       Text of Annapolis Convention (1786)
art_confed.txt      Text of Articles of Confederation (1777, 1781)
bill_rights.txt     Text of Bill of Rights
charlotte.txt       Text of Charlotte Town Resolves (1775)
const_amends.txt
const_trans.txt     Text of Transmittal of Constitution (1787)
constitution.txt
cont_cong_res.txt   Text of Continental Congress Resolves (1777)
decl_indep.txt      Text of Declaration of Independence (1776)
nw_ord.txt          Text of Northwest Ordinance (1787)
va_decl_right.txt   Text of Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/19th_century:
emanc_procl.txt     Text of Emancipation Proclamation (1862)
gettysburg.txt      Text of Gettysburg Address

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/20th_century:
warpowers.act       Text of Warpowers Act (1973)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/political/united_states/presidency:
angelou_poem.txt    Text of Maya Angelou's Poem at Clinton's
                    Inaugural, 1993
jefferson.inaug     Text of Jefferson's Inaugural Address
jfk_berlin.txt      Text of Kennedy's Berlin Address
kennedy.inaug       Text of Kennedy's Inaugural Address
lincoln1.inaug      Text of Lincoln's First Inaugural Address
lincoln2.inaug      Text of Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address
reagan.gif          BINARY: Ronald Reagan graphic
washington.farewell Text of Washington's Farewell Address
wilson.gif          BINARY: W. Wilson Address to Congress graphic

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/utilities:
cshw833.zip         BINARY: CShow (.GIF graphics file viewer,
                    DOS)
cshw860a.zip        BINARY: CShow v 8.60a (.GIF and .JPG graphics
                    file viewer, DOS)
pkpak.exe           BINARY: File compressor (.ARC files, DOS)
pkunpak.exe         BINARY: File decompressor (.ARC files, DOS)
pkz204g.exe         BINARY: Self extracting copy of file
                    compressor and decompressor, PKZip v. 2.04g
                    (.ZIP files, DOS)
uudecode.exe        BINARY: File ASCII encoder (.UUE files, DOS)
uuencode.exe        BINARY: File ASCII decoder (.UUE files, DOS)

*DIRECTORY OF pub/history/women:
tx_womens_univ.txt  Information on Texas Women's University
                    Library Newsletter, DATA ENTRIES, available
                    electronically

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 10 May 1993 to 11 May 1993
*************************************************