Subject: WWII-L Digest - 14 May 1993 to 15 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1993 00:00:12 -0400

There are 3 messages totalling 110 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Weapons: Chenillette APC's
  2. The Lost Fleet of Guadalcanal - May 23rd on TBS
  3. Stolfi

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 15 May 1993 02:26:27 -0400
From:    Akira Takiguchi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Weapons: Chenillette APC's

     Since Bill looks like lost in his library, I would like to take
over without permission 8-).

Tim wrote:
>What is a Chenillette weapon's carrier----It looks like a
>really big Goliath demolition remote controled tank---it is about the
>same size as a Bren Carrier.  It something the German's captured and
>pressed into service?  I've never heard of a Chenillette.

     Chenilette, which I believe is a direct translation for tankette
[one L, BTW], is better known as Renault "UE" infantry tractor.  After
the occupation of France, Wehrmacht gave the identification number
(Kenn-nummer) 630 (f) and used them in large number in various forms
(3.7cm SP gun, recce vehicle, SP rocket launcher, etc.).  Weight: 3.3t
(an old source says ca. 1.5t).  With a 2.1 liter 38 PS 4 cylinder engine,
it ran at 33.6 km/h maximum.

References:
_Beute-Kraftfahrzeuge und -Panzer der deutschen Wehrmacht_ Spielberger 1989
_German Army S.P.Weapons 1939-45 Part 2_ Chamberlain/Doyle 1971

>While eating my cereal for breakfast this morning, I notice on the side
>of a Tamiya Kubelwagen model kit box, it listed a tank model as the
>"Sharman".  I guess that mean's it's baby soft, or something.  (For you
>overseas---Charman is a type of toilet paper here in the U.S.).

     This reminded me of their kit of Hanomag Sd.Kfz.251 Ausf.C.  Somehow
kit box said "Ausf.G".  Good old days when people didn't care about these
small faults.  Modellers nowadays complains about 1 milimeter too long
gun barrel :-)
--
       Akira Takiguchi  at ATSON, Inc. (a subsidiary of the Asahi Shimbun)
                   WAKO GINZA bldg.  8-10-4 Ginza Chuo-ku Tokyo 104  Japan
   +81 3 3289 7051(voice) 7066(fax)  EMAIL TO <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 15 May 1993 07:15:38 -0500
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: The Lost Fleet of Guadalcanal - May 23rd on TBS

Repost from sci.military:

I attended the premiere screening of "The Lost Fleet of Guadalcanal"
last night at the Navy Museum (located at the Washington Navy Yard).

This 1 1/2 hour movie was produced by Dr. Robert Ballard with help
from the U.S. Navy, National Geographic and TBS.

The movie covers much more than just dives to the bottom of iron bottom sound
to look at ships.  Ballard invited along U.S., Allied and Japaneese sailors
and Marines to revist their ships and Guadalcanal.  This show is not
for the weak of stomach.  There is a great deal of actual footage, and
even more discussion by Guadalcanal participants about the "Island of Death"

Dr. Ballard located and identified 14 ships in the Sound (covering a
search area of 250 square miles - greater than the Titanic and Bismarks
searches combined) and using the U.S. Navy's Sea Cliff manned, and
the Scorpio unmanned, submersibles dove on 12 of the ships.

Turner Broadcasting will be showing this on their super stations starting
May 23rd at 9pm (EST).  This show is worth a fresh tape in the VCR.

Also,  the Navy Museum has been going through a several year long
upgrade.  If you haven't seen it in the last 9 months, you haven't been
to the Museum!

Larry
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
        "the best individual defensive tactic is a hard and fast offensive,
regardless of the odds"                          Mjr. Will Dunham
Lawrence C. Schuette                      [email-masked]
Code 5585                                 (202)767-3040
Naval Research Laboratory                 (202)767-1122 (fax)
Washington D.C. 20375-5337

--
#L.W. Jewell Moderator at the Veterans Information Site ([email-masked])#
#& WWII-L Listowner: "Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange,#
#sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all   #
#phases of life." "Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41  #

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 15 May 1993 19:10:29 EET
From:    "F.Baube[tm]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Stolfi

Has there been a discussion on this list yet of
"Hitler's Panzers East: World War II Reinterpreted"
by RHS Stolfi ?

If not, anyone care to start one ?

--
* Fred Baube (tm)         * "Government had broken down. I found the
* [email-masked]       * experience invigorating." -- Maurice Grimaud,
* #include <disclaimer.h> * Paris prefect of police in May 1968

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 14 May 1993 to 15 May 1993
*************************************************