Subject: WWII-L Digest - 7 May 1993 to 8 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1993 00:00:41 -0400

There are 3 messages totalling 302 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. San Fransisco Naval Displays, Part 1
  2. San Fransisco Naval Displays, Part 2
  3. WWII HRS and WWII APS Calender

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 7 May 1993 15:50:57 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: San Fransisco Naval Displays, Part 1

I spent the weekend before last in the San Fransisco Bay area, and
visited two Naval vessels on display.  This is the first of two postings
about my trip to WWII ships.  The first in the USS Pampinito.

The USS Pampanito is a WWII fleet submarine built in 1943 at the
Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, in New Hampshire.  She is Balao class, and
made six patrols during WWII.  She sank six Japanese ships and damages
for others, for a total of over 27,000 tons of enemy shipping sank.  I
can post more detailed information at a later date, if anyone is
interested in the specifics.

After WWII, she was eventually used by the Naval Reserve as a training
vessel, before being transfered to the National Maritime Museum
Association in 1976.  She was opened for display in 1982.

The USS Pampinato is berthed at Pier 45, Fisherman's Warf, in San
Fransisco.  A nominal fee was charged for admission, and that included a
small earphone paddle.  This earphone was a receiver that picked up the
self-guided tour recording for each comparment.  That was the only guida
nce for the tour--there were no guides available on the ship.

The tour started in the aft.  A hole had been cut to allow stairs to be
mounted.  The tour started in the aft torpedo room. It then proceeded
through the manuevering room, forward engine room, crew's quarters,
crew's mess and galley, radio room, pump room, control room, officer's
quarters, and ended in the forward torpedo room.  Unfortunately the con
was not part of the tour.  The con could only be see through the ladder
in the the control room.

The tour was about as good as could be expected without having a living
guide.  She is well restored, and appears to be in good condition.  It
is difficult going for those not used to moving in a submarine--small
hatches, and passageways (My US Navy friend kept hitting her head on the
hatches---while my, an Army type with no time at sea had no
problems---she still hasn't heard the end of this one).  I was
disappointed that the con was closed off to the public, however I
understand why they did it.A living guide, or submarine expert on the
scene would have been much appreciated to answer specific questions.
The ticket taker was a 20 year old girl blowing bubbles with her gum,
who wasn't helpfull.  Another disappointment was the lack of a gift
shop, to purchase T-shirts, and the like.

The funniest thing that happened while on board the USS Pampinato, was
seeing the maintenance man working on the ship.  I quickly saw why he
got hired to maintain the sub when I realized he was about four feet
tall.  He didn't even have to duck to go through hatches!!!!  It seemed
like the perfect job for him.

 The USS Pampinato is maintained by the National Maritime Museum
Association, and they can be reached at:

National Maritime Museum Association Presidio of San Fransisco Building
275 Crissy Field San Francisco, CA 94129 (415) 441-5819

The next post will take us on board the National Liberty Ship Memorial,
the SS Jerimiah O'Brien.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 8 May 1993 12:37:14 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: San Fransisco Naval Displays, Part 2

The second WWII sea momument I saw during my recent trip to San
Fransisco was the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien, America's last unaltered
Liberty Ship.  Between 1941 and 1944, more than 2,700 Liberty Ships were
built.  The S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien is the only one still in it's original
form with everything fully operational.  Every piece of machinery, from
the main engine to the ship's whistle, operates exactly as it did when
the ship was launched in 1943.

The O'Brien was built by the War Shipping Administration at the New
England Shipbuilding Corp, South Portland, Maine.  She was launched on
30 June, 1943, 56 days after her keel was laid.  She was operated by the
Grace Line, a commercial steamship line.  From July, 1943 to October
1944, she made four voyages between the U.S. and Great Britain.  On her
fourth voyage, she was diverted into a shuttle run between England and
the newly taken Omaha and Utah beachheads at Normandy.  She completed 11
trips before returning to the States.  The gunners claimed to have
engaged enemy aircraft, and that she was the possible target of two bomb
attacks and one torpedo.

Her fifth trip took her to Chile and Peru, and her sixth was a trip to
the Phillipines.  On her seventh, and last voyage, she sailed from San
Fransisco to visit Australia, Calcutta, Shanghai, Manila and then
returned to San Fransisco.  On the final return voyage, she carried 11
Australian war brides to join their new American husbands.  While there
were no passeneger accomidations, with the war now over, the brides were
housed in the vacant gunner's quarters in the after deck.

During her war service, the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien earned six decorations
for wartime service: Merchant Marine Combat Bar, the Atlantic, Pacific,
the Mediterranean/Middle East War Zone Bars, the Phillipine Liberation
Medal, and the Victory Medal.

With the war over, and there far more ships available than needed for
the peacetime trade routes, the Jeremiah O'Brien found herself put in
mothballs at Suisun Bay near San Fransisco.  She sat for 33 years
untouched before a plan was launched to save a Liberty ship for
posterity.  Since the O'Brien was still unaltered, she was chosen.  In
1978, the National Liberty ship Memorial, Inc a non-profit corporation
was formed to restore, preserve, maintain, and present to the public an
original, unaltered Liberty Ship.

Since then, an enormous amount of work, mostly by volunteers, has gone
into restoring and preserving the ship.  The first annual cruise was on
May 21, 1980, and she has sailed every year ever since.  In order to
keep her in top condition, they fire up the boilers on the third weekend
month, and spin the screws while attached to the dock.  Once a year, a
cruise is planned on Saturday and Sunday that goes around San Fransisco
Bay.  That occurs the third weekend of May every year.

The most ambitious project they've undertaken is to take the O'Brien to
Normandy for the June 6 D-Day Celebration next year.  They are planning
stops in Southern England and France.  She is one of the few remaining
survivors of the D-Day flotilla, this shall be a historic, and memorable
voyage for all involved.

At present, the Jeremiah O'Brien is owned by MARAD as part of the Ready
Reserve Fleet, and is on a bareboat charter to the National Park
Service.  Administration is handled by the National Liberty ship
Memorial.

Unfortunately, I only had about 20 minutes to spend on her, due to
needing to catch a boat to Alcatraz.  I had to run to the ship, and run
back to catch my ship to be able to do everything.  There is a nominal
charge for admission.  Once aboard the gangplank, it is very obvious
what a prize this ship is.  She has been beautifully restored, and
probably looks better than she did coming out of South Portsmouth.  All
the decks are well painted, and the interior is well restored, to
include the finishes on the doors.  The ship is open for you to crawl
around on, and you can go just about anywhere the crew could go.  The
engine room is especially interesting.  I went down five ladders, and
there were still more to go before reaching the bottom.  There were
numerous people down there working on her engines--it felt like this
ship was alive, rather than just rusting away in San Fransisco.

I was able to tour the engine room, the bridge, galley, crew quarters,
and aft gunner's postition and quarters.  I didn't get to see it, but in
hold number 2 there is a roster board of Liberty ship sailors.  Names
can be added for a $20 donation.  Record are kept, and veterans are
contacted when a former shipmate adds their name to the roster.  They
also allow former Liberty Ship Sailors an opportunity to participate in
their Sailing History program.

What I enjoyed most was about the Jeremiah O'Brien was the enthusiantic
volunteers working on the ship, and acting as tour guides.  There were
at least 20 on board, most appeared to be retired.  The nice lady I
spoke with opened up the ship's store for me, and I was able to get a
t-shirt.  Unfortunately, I was short of cash, for they had a bunch of bo
oks about the Merchant Marine, more t-shirts, and some really nice
sweatshirts that listed her D-Day runs.  I could have easily dropped
$150 there.  Fortunately for my long term financial stability, they
don't take credit cards.  The people on board made the ship feel like an
active vessal.

Her steaming weekends for 1993 are:

May---cruises--22 and 23 (tickets are $75 per guest), June-19 and 20,
 July-17 and 18, August-21 and 22, September-18 and 19, October-16 and 1
 7, November-20 and 21.

She is open daily, except for major holidays, from 9 am to 3 pm.  On ste
aming weekends she is open from 9 am to 4 pm.

She is located at Pier #3, Fort Mason Center, next to a very nice park,
and on the edge of the San Fransisco Maritime National Historic Park, wh
ich makes her part of the largest collection (in tonnage) of historic
ships in the world.

You can join the National Liberty Ship Memorial as a regular member for
$25 annually, or for greater amounts.  Membership includes free admissio
n and a newsletter.  You can also donate to the Normandy in '94 campaign
.  It costs $12, and you receive a badge to show your support.

For further information, contact :
S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien,
Fort Mason Center, Bldg. A,
San Fransisco, CA 94123-1382
phone 415-441-3101
fax 415-441-3712

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 8 May 1993 14:32:57 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWII HRS and WWII APS Calender

Listed below are the dates of events of the World War II Historical
Reenactment Society, and the World War II Airman's Preservation Society.
I will list the dates, which organization (WWIIHRS or WWIIAPS) sponcer's
the event, what and where the event will be held.

For the WWIIHRS, a battle means a tactical event, with no predetermined
outcome.  A display and spectator battle is intended for the public to
come and see.  All most all WWIIAPS events are open to the public.

May 15-16 WWIIAPS, EAA flight center, Oskosh, WI, roll out of aircra
ft--to include B-17G "Aluminum Overcast"

May 15 WWIIHRS, Ft McCoy, WI, Open house, possible battle

May 25-30 WWIIHRS, Ft Bragg, NC, All-American Week, displays

May 28-31 WWIIHRS, and WWIIAPS, Columbia, MO, Memorial Day Celebrati on
          "Salute to Veterans"  includes displays, WWII and Current airc
          raft flights, USN Blue Angels, on Saturday and Sunday.  Parade
for veterans and military organizations only on Monday

May 29-31 WWIIHRS, Wilkerson Pass, CO, Spring Battle

June 5-6 WWIIAPS, Kalamazoo, MI, airshow, with B-17G "Aluminum Cast"

June 13 WWIIAPS, Scott AFB, IL, Military Days and open house, inclu des
USAF Thunderbirds

June 13 WWIIHRS, Aurora, IL, 8th Annual Aurora Airport Open House,
spectator battles and displays

June 26-27 WWIIHRS, New Lenox-Howell Airport, IL, Airshow and WWII di
splays, spectator battles, and militaria and gun show

July 17-18 WWIIHRS and WWIIAPS, Danville, IL, ILLIANA REMEMBERS livin g
history display and spectator battle.

July 19-Aug 4 WWIIAPS, Oskosh, WI, Annual Fly-In, with WWII displays
plus lots of othe goodies

July 31 WWIIHRS, Dana, IN Ernie Pyle Festival, Parade/display

August 21-22 WWIIHRS and WWIIAPS, Bloomington, IL, Public display and
             spectator battles

August 21-22 WWIIAPS Genesco, NY "Wings of Eagles" Airshow at Nationa l
Warplane Museum, apparently there will be a reenactmen t by a group
other than the WWIIHRS, however I have very little infor on it.

August 28-29 WWIIHRS, Carter, WY, Italy '44 battle

September 10-12 WWIIHRS, Sparland, IL Western Front Battle

September 17-19 WWIIHRS, Westmont, IL, display and battle

September 18 WWIIAPS and Southern Minnesota Wing CAF, Minneapolis, MN
"Bomber's Moon Ball" USO Style dance

September 24-26 WWIIAPS, Chesterfield, MO, Spirit of St. Louis Airport
display in conjunction with St. Louis based Armed Force s
Museum---anticipated that a WWII USAAF life size dior ama will be built

September 25 WWIIHRS, Riverside, IL, Open House with Illinois Nationa l
Guard, displays

September 28-October 4, Chicago, IL, 8th Air Force Reunion--WWIIAPS will
                         provide the memorabilia room

November 6, WWIIHRS and WWIIAPS, St. Louis, MO, Annual Veteran's Day P
arade, largest in nation

November 12-14, WWIIHRS, Rosemont, MN Western Front Battle

December 18, WWIIAPS, St. Louis, MO, Annual WWIIAPS Christmas party

If there are any groups that desire to have their events posted with
these, either reenactment, CAF, or other wise, please contact me and I
will be glad to add them on the list.

If anyone wants additional information regarding any of these events,
please contact me direct, and I will pass on the event coordinator's
name.

TOO MANY EVENTS---NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 7 May 1993 to 8 May 1993
***********************************************