Subject: WWII-L Digest - 12 May 1993 to 13 May 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1993 00:00:32 -0400

There are 8 messages totalling 384 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 13 MAY 43
  2. Weapons: Chenillette APC's (2)
  3. CONTACTING LIBRARIES
  4. Campaigns in New Guinea (2)
  5. VSA & WW2 Glider Rally
  6. Norwegian Loes

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 13 May 1993 07:16:20 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 13 MAY 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 13 MAY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  Beaufighters, Bristol (RAF)
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  Liberator, Consolidated (RAF)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutians, bad weather keeps the air-ground liaison B-24 from
observing or hearing friendly ground forces on Attu and it returns to
base. An air-ground support mission of 6 B-24's divert from Attu to Kiska;
2 of the bombers don't get the message, proceed to Attu, and bomb
Chichagof Harbor and Holtz Bay. The other 4 bomb the Main Camp area. Eight
P-40's dispatched to Kiska in 2 waves cannot see the target and instead
bomb Little Kiska installations.

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force)
    The 29th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 6th Bombardment Group (Heavy),
with B-24's, transfers from Anton, Panama to the Galapagos Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    The 76th Fighter Squadron, 23d Fighter Group, with P-40's, transfers
from Kunming, China to Lingling, China.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Bomber Command Mission Number 55: 97 B-17s' are dispatched against
the Avions Potez aircraft factory at Meaulte, France; 88 aircraft hit the
target at 1628-1630 hours local. We claim 11-31-1 Luftwaffe aircraft; we
lose 3 and 11 others are damaged. Casualties are 1 WIA and 31 MIA. In a
second raid, 72 B-17's are dispatched against the Longuenesse and Ft.
Rouge Airfields at St. Omer, France; 31 bomb Longuenesse at 1637-1638 hours;
1 B-17 is lost and 1 is damaged beyond repair. Casualties are 1 KIA and 2
WIA.
  The 416th Night Fighter Squadron, VIII Fighter Command arrives at
Honiley, England from the US. Detachments are dispersed to Cranfield,
Usworth and Bath to train with Beaufighters under control of the RAF.
  The 456th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 323d Bombardment Group
(Medium), with B-26C's, arrives at Horham, England from the US.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy, B-25's bomb Augusta while RAF Liberators, under operational
control of the IX Bomber Command, attack the Messina ferry terminal.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Italy, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) Wellingtons
bomb the area of the railroad station, marshalling yard and docks in
Naples during the night of 12/13 May.
    In Sardinia, B-17's, B-25's and B-26's from 7 bomb groups, escorted by
fighters from 4 fighter groups, bomb Cagliari, hitting shipping, the dock
area, marshaling yard, oil dump, chemical plant, and city area.
    In Tunisia, the Tunisian campaign ends with the surrender of Marshall
Giovanni Messe, commander of Axis forces in Africa.
    HQ 51st Troop Carrier Wing transfers from La Senia, Algeria to
Mascara, Algeria.
    HQ 60th Troop Carrier Group and it's 11th and 28th Troop Carrier
Squadrons with C-47's, transfer from Relizane, Algeria to Thiersville,
Algeria.
    The 34th, 37th and 432d Bombardment Squadrons (Medium), 17th
Bombardment Group (Medium), with B-26's transfer from Telergma, Algeria to
Sedrata, Algeria.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomons during the night of 12/13 May, 2 B-24's on snooper
missions bomb Kahili and Ballale Airfields. They are followed shortly by 6
B-17's which pound the same targets. During the day, 34 P-38's, P-39's,
and P-40's, along with 62 Navy and Marine fighters and Royal New Zealand
Air Force (RNZAF) P-40's, intercept 20+ airplanes over the Russell
Island-Tulagi area. Allied pilots claim 16 aircraft shot down (1 by USAAF
fighters).  During the early evening, 5 B-17's again hit Kahili and Ballale
Airfields.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  B-17's bomb airfields at Rabaul on New Britain Island and Wewak and
Boram in New Guinea.
  In the Bismarck Archipelago, B-25's blast the airfield, town area, and
targets of opportunity at Gasmata while A-20's hit Cape Gloucester
Airfield and area.
  Single B-24's and B-17's attack various shoreline and offshore targets,
including landing strips, buildings, gun positions, barges, and vessels,
on the NE New Guinea coast, New Britain, and in the Admiralty Islands.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 13 May 1993 07:43:23 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Weapons: Chenillette APC's

While thunbing through my copy of WWII magazine, which came in the mail
last night, I ran across a picture on page 27 that stumped me---caption:
"Returning in style: Surviving members of the 82nd Airborne enter Gela
riding captured German Chenillette weapons carriers and an Italian
ambulance on July, 13, 1943." The article was about the invasion of
Sicily.  What is a Chenillette weapon's carrier----It looks like a
really big Goliath demolition remote controled tank---it is about the
same size as a Bren Carrier.  It something the German's captured and
pressed into service?  I've never heard of a Chenillette.  It was in the
July, 1993 copy of WWII.

While eating my cereal for breakfast this morning, I notice on the side
of a Tamiya Kubelwagen model kit box, it listed a tank model as the
"Sharman".  I guess that mean's it's baby soft, or something.  (For you
overseas---Charman is a type of toilet paper here in the U.S.).

Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 13 May 1993 17:14:46 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: CONTACTING LIBRARIES

  Oslo, May 13.  I would appreciate some advice from the librarians
who are using this list.  In making arrangements for marketing my book
in the US, I have been looking into how to approach libraries but
have yet to find a good solution.  To get a mailing list and send
flyers would cost $2,000 to $3,000.
  There is also the option of sending a book for review to library
publications.  CHOICE and LIBRARY JOURNAL seem to be the prime
candidates.  It is, however, by no means certain they will review
a book sent to them, and then it is my understanding it can take
a long time before one appears.
  There is an outfit called QUALITY BOOKS which will take the task
on, but they want a minimum of fifty-five percent of the price of
the book.  With this, I would have to hope they would not sell many,
because I would lose money on each book they sold.
  It has occurred to me that I might be able to reach librarians
through a list.  After looking around a bit, I joined PACS-L, only
to be told that I should go elsewhere.  They gave me a long list
of library lists, but I cannot make head or tail out of it.
  Perhaps I am engaged in a wild goose chase and should forget the
libraries.  Before doing this, however, I would like to see if
anyone has something to suggest.
  Regards, John Ausland
        Internet: [email-masked]
        John C. Ausland CIS: 73240,2704

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 13 May 1993 10:11:46 GMT+800
From:    Joseph Boeke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Campaigns in New Guinea

Hello,

I hope that some one on the list might be able to help me locate
sources on the Papuan Campigns (1942-1943).  Especially concerning
the 5th Air Force operations (prior to the Bismark Sea Battle).

Thanks in advance for your help...

Joseph Boeke
Research Coordinator
University of California, Irvine
 [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 13 May 1993 16:04:54 -0400
From:    MAX HARE <[email-masked]>
Subject: VSA & WW2 Glider Rally

The NATIONAL SOARING MUSEUM and the WW2 GLIDER PILOTS ASSOCIATION will
be sponsoring a celebration to commemorate the 50th anniverary of the
Sicily Invasion on July 9, 10 & 11.

On Thursday, July 8, 1993 rides will be availabe at Harris Hill in WW2
vintage training gliders.

On, Friday July 9, the National Soaring Museum will sponsor a symposium
on the CG-4A troop glider with a panel of designers and experts involved
in its development starting at 10:30 a.m.

The entire weekend will be devoted to a "fly-in" by the VINTAGE
SAILPLANE SOCIETY and the visitor will get a chance to see some rare WW2
training ships like the Pratt-Read (used by Navy and Marines and later
the AAF for training), TG-2s, TG-4s and if this is like previous years
you will get a chance to see some German trainers like the Minimoa.  The
National Soaring Museum also has a complete CG-4A nose section and a
nice photo display of training, development etc of military gliders.

If you are used to powered warbird gatherings this will be a fascinating
change of pace and will open up a whole new world to you.  Get there
early and try and get a ride in one of these classics.  The VSA is
always great about trying to get people up for rides, and the NSM has
some real worthwhile displays.  Highly recommended, especially to those
who think they have seen it all concerning WW2 aviation!

Contact:

NATIONAL SOARING MUSEUM
RD.#3, HARRIS HILL
ELMIRA, NY  14903-9988

Phone (607) 734-3128
FAX (607)732-6745

Remember the National Soaring Museum is right next to the glider field
so you wont have to travel far to go from flying to museum displays!

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 13 May 1993 17:04:26 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Campaigns in New Guinea

>
> Hello,
>
> I hope that some one on the list might be able to help me locate
> sources on the Papuan Campigns (1942-1943).  Especially concerning
> the 5th Air Force operations (prior to the Bismark Sea Battle).
>
> Thanks in advance for your help...
>
>
> Joseph Boeke
> Research Coordinator
> University of California, Irvine
>  [email-masked]
>

From: UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II Reader's Guide

VICTORY IN PAPUA. By Samuel Milner. (1957, 1989; 409 pages, 23
maps, 69 illustrations, bibliographical note, glossaries, index,
CMH Pub 5-4.)

"Soon after the shattered American Navy won its great victory at
Midway, the United States launched its ground forces into their
first offensives in the Pacific, at Guadalcanal as recounted
above, and on the eastern tip of New Guinea.  The offensive
supplied by two U.S. Army divisions, the 32nd and a regiment of
the 41st.  VICTORY IN PAPUA is a detailed account of their
bitter experience in the operation to which they were committed,
the objective of which was to expel the Japanese from their
lodgments at Milne Bay, Buna and Gona.

"This is the first offensive under General MacArthur's command,
and the American forces used were untried, neither trained nor
seasoned for their difficult first assignment.  For most of the
Allied troops the Papua Campaign was a military nightmare.  The
work describes the agonies and frustrations of men living under
almost intolerable conditions, plagued by disease, short of
artillery, and pitted against a skilled and resolute foe.

"While the narrative focuses on the painful struggles of the
American ground forces to master their environment and overcome
their foes, its scope is as broad as the campaign and includes
the direction of joint, Allied operations; the operations of the
Australians; and the sometimes highly experimental employment of
air powers to transport and supply the ground forces as well as
support them in battle.

"Key topics:
"1. Problems of joint and Allied command (Ch. II).
"2. Problems in theater strategy (Chs. I, II).
"3. Japanese offensive plans and operations (Chs. I, III, IV, V,
    VI).
"4 Air transport and supply (Chs. V, VII).
"5. Improvisation of logistic support (Chs. V. VII, VIII, X,
    XI).
"6. Effects of disease and insufficient training upon tactical
    efficiency (Chs. VII-XVII).
"7. Small-unit attacks against fortified areas (Chs. VII-XVIII).
"8. Special problems of command (Chs. X, XI)."

Hope this helps,

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 13 May 1993 14:04:57 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Weapons: Chenillette APC's

> What is a Chenillette weapon's carrier----It looks like a
> really big Goliath demolition remote controled tank---it is about the
> same size as a Bren Carrier.  It something the German's captured and
> pressed into service?  I've never heard of a Chenillette.

It's a deservedly obscure French weapons carrier.  (The spelling looks
funny to me... but then, all French spelling looks funny to me. 8-)

It was a two-man vehicle, and very small, smaller than a Bren carrier.
An easy-to-spot feature is that the crew (who sit side-by-side in the
front) are seated such that their heads are outside the armored deck, and
are provided with domed hatches that pull over their heads.

It was primarily intended as a recon vehicle and gun tractor, equivalent to
the early British carriers.

I'll try and post more info tonight from my library.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
Quality Engineer            Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 13 May 1993 19:45:29 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Norwegian Loes

John Ausland,

I was told to address a particular question about Norwegian history to
John Ausland. I am not a member of this group but would like an answer to a
burning question:

Are the following Norwegian genetically related ?

        1) Jonas L.I. Lie: Nov 6, 1833-July 5, 1905: prolific Norwegian
                novelist.
        2) Marius Sophus Lie: Dec 17, 1842-Feb 18, 1899: Norwegian
                mathematician extraordinaire.
        3) Trygve H. Lie: July 16, 1896-Dec 30, 1968: prominent politician and
                the 1st Secretary -General of United Nations.

If you have any information on their common (?) genealogy  please let me know.
In particular, are 2 and 3 related? Thank you

Carl Thurman/University of Northern Iowa

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 12 May 1993 to 13 May 1993
*************************************************