Subject: WWII-L Digest - 12 Jul 1993 to 13 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1993 00:01:04 -0400

There are 7 messages totalling 691 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 10-13 JUL 43
  2. MISC: French army (2)
  3. WANT: 388th BG Alumni Assoc. Address
  4. Dangers of liberating the French
  5. ADMIN: Introduction to WWII-L
  6. Home: US (German spy plane in America?) ~#

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Jul 1993 07:57:02 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 10-13 JUL 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 10 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-40, Boeing Flying Fortress
  P-40, Curtiss
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    The Eleventh Air Force attacks the Japanese Home Islands for the first
time as 8 B-25's raid Paramushiru Island in the Kurile Islands, scoring
hits on the S part of Shimushu Island, Paramushiru Island, Kurile Strait,
and northern Paramushiru Island, in dead reckoning runs when solid cloud
cover prevents a maximum altitude attack.  No AA fire is encountered and no
enemy aircraft are sighted. The B-25's stage through Attu Island on
returning to Adak Island. 6 B-24's, originally slated to accompany the
B-25's to Paramushiru Island and 5 other B-25's are on short notice
dispatched to attack a convoy off Attu Island. They claim 2 medium
freighters sunk in deck-level strikes.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    9 B-24's bomb the dock area at Haiphong, French Indochina.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VII Bomber Command Mission Number 72: 121 B-17's and 5 YB-40's are
dispatched to the Caen/Carpiquet Airfield and 64 B-17's are dispatched to
the Abbeville/Drucat Airfield, both in France; 34 hit Caen at 0832 hours
while 36 hit Abbeville at 0729-0735 hours; they claim 17-7-6 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 1 B-17 is lost while 33 others are damaged; casualties are 1 WIA
and 10 MIA. In a second raid, 101 B-17's are dispatched against Le Bourget
Airfield, Paris but the mission is abandoned due to cloud cover.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, B-24's attack the marshalling yard at Catania and airfield at
Vibo Valentia; and B-25's hit Palazzolo, Sciacca, Catania, Agrigento,
Floridia, Giarratana, Biscari, Syracuse, and Piazza Armerina while fighters
cover the assault beach areas.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily during the night of 9/10 Jul, Northwest African Strategic Air
Force (NASAF) Wellingtons bomb Catania, Syracuse, the Syracuse Isthmus
seaplane base and the railroad station at Syracuse, and Caltagirone; North-
west African Air Force Troop Carrier Command flies airborne operations to
drop British and US paratroops; the US Seventh and British Eighth Armies
make amphibious landings on the S and SE coast of Sicily.  Northwest Afri-
can Tactical Air Force (NATAF) A-36's hit railroads, road junctions,
trains, and vehicles while P-40's fly cover for amphibious landings. NATAF
light and medium bombers hit airfields at Sciacca, Canicatti, Ponte Olivo,
and Trapani, and towns and surrounding areas of Caltagirone and Palazzolo.
Throughout the day NASAF B-17's and B-25's bomb Milo and Sciacca
Airfields, Gerbini satellite fields, and towns of Palazzolo and
Caltanissetta, Sicily. P-38's on sweep strafe radar installation.
    HQ 3d Air Defense Wing transfers from Tunisia to Licata, Sicily.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, B-24's pound Kahili Airfield on Bougainville
Island. Seabees report a 3,300-feet (1,006 m) airstrip at Segi Point on New
Georgia Island available for limited operations; this provides an emergency
landing field only 40 mi (64 km) from Japanese facilities at Munda, New
Georgia Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-25's pound Salamaua, Logui, and the SE bank of the
Francisco River as Allied ground forces effect junction at Buigap Creek
cutting communications between Salamaua and Mubo; a single B-24 bombs the
village of Kela. B-24's bomb Boela on Ceram Island in the Moluccas Islands
and Babo, New Guinea.

SUNDAY, 11 JULY 1943

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutian Islands, 5 B-24's take off to attack Paramushiru
Island in the Kurile Islands and fly a shipping search but are turned
back by bad weather. A shipping search by 5 B-25's finds nothing. 6
B-25's and 6 B-24's in 3 missions (one by radar) attack North Head and
Main Camp on Kiska Island sighting new excavations near Sredni Point,
strafe a tent near Haycock Rock, and also fly over Segula Island.

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  3 B-24's from Funafuti Island in the Ellice Islands fly a photo
reconnaissance mission to Little Makin Island in the Gilbert Islands; 2
of the B-24's bomb the island.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    A few B-24's hit the port of Haiphong, French Indochina.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    In French Indochina, 3 B-24's bomb the Haiphong harbor area, 3 bomb
shipping in the Campha Port area, and 8 pound positions and barracks area
at Kunlong, China; and P-40's strafe traffic between Lao Kay and Cha Pa,
and hit oil storage area SW of Lao Kay.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    B-24's hit airfields at Vibo Valentia, Sicily and Reggio di Calabria,
Italy. In Sicily, B-25's hit airfields at Trapani, Milo and Bo Rizzo, and
areas between Sciacca and Enna. P-40's escort bombers and provide beach
cover as invasion forces push inland in Sicily.
    On the ground in Sicily, the US Seventh Army's II Corps is hit by a
counterattack, mainly in the Gela region. The attack is repelled, but an
airdrop of a contingent of 82d Airborne Division troops results in heavy
casualties.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) planes hit
Milo and Sciacca Airfields during the night of 10/11 Jul and numerous
tactical targets during the day, including town areas, vehicle convoys,
bridges, trains and roads; NASAF B-17's bomb the Catania marshalling yard
while B-26's hit Milo Airfield and Gerbini satellite airfields; and
B-25's and P-38's hit Sciacca Airfield and the town of Caltanissetta.
Throughout the day NASAF fighters attack truck convoys on Sicilian
highways, and hit gun positions and targets of opportunity.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, B-24's and B-17's attack Kahili Airfield on
Bougainville Island, hitting revetments E and W of the strip.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, A-20's and B-25's blast positions in the battle zone
from Nassau Bay inland to the Mubo area, hitting the trail between Logui
and Kennedy's Crossing, the Bobdubi and Bobdubi Ridge areas, Salamaua,
Kela Point and villages scattered through the area. Other B-25's bomb
Penfoei on Timor Island. B-17's and B-24's pound airfields in the Rabaul
area on New Britain Island.
  The 19th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 22d Bombardment Group (Medium)
transfers with B-26's from Woodstock, Queensland, Australia to Dobodura,
New Guinea. The 19th, which has been in combat in the SWPA since Apr 42,
was pulled out of combat in Jan 43 for R&R. The squadron will fly it's
first combat mission on this tour on 27 Jul 43.

MONDAY, 12 JULY 1943

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-4, Lockheed Lightning
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    In French Indochina, 7 B-24's attack docks and shipping at Campha
Port, shipping at Ha Long Bay, and railroad yards, power plant, and
warehouses at Hongay. The B-24's claim critical damage to 2 freighters;
and P-40's strafe trucks S of Ha Giang.
    The flight of the 9th Photographic Squadron (Light), Tenth Air Force
operating from Kunming, China and it's detachment operating from Kweilin,
China with F-4's return to their base at Pandaveswar, India.
    The 21st Photographic Squadron (Light), 5th Photographic
Reconnaissance and Mapping Group dispatches a flight with F-5's from
Bishnupur, India to Kunming and Kweilin, China.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (AAF Antisubmarine Command)
    A B-24 of the 1st Antisubmarine Squadron (Heavy) sinks U-506 near
Portugal at 42-30N 16-30W.

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Italy, B-24's attack the harbor, ferry slip, and marshalling yard
at Reggio di Calabria, and the ferry slip and railroad yards at Villa San
Giovanni. In Sicily, B-25's hit Bo Rizzo Airfield while P-40's patrol
over the Licata area. On the ground in Sicily, with bridgeheads firmly
established by the end of day, British and US troops make contact at
Ragusa. Royal Air Force (RAF) heavy bombers bomb Reggio di Calabria
Airfield, Italy.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily during the night of 11/12 Jul, Northwest African Strategic
Air Force (NASAF) Wellingtons pound Trapani, Marsala, Mazara del Vallo,
and Montecorvino-Rovello Airfield and Northwest African Air Force Troop
Carrier Command drops paratroops in front of the forward lines in the
battle area; more than 20 C-47's fail to return from mission; during the
following day, B-17's hit Messina railroad bridges, medium and light
bombers hit Gerbini satellite field, Agrigento, Canicatti, and Milo
Airfield. Fighters hit trucks, trains, troops, tanks, and other targets
of opportunity during sweeps over Sicily. Northwest African Tactical Air
Force (NATAF) fighters and light bombers hit Milo Airfield, Sicilian
beaches, Termini harbor and town, Ninfa rail junction, several trains,
numerous vehicles, and communications targets throughout Sicily.
Northwest African Coastal Air Force (NACAF) aircraft fly convoy escort
and carry out shipping strikes in Tyrrhenian Sea and W of Corsica and
Sardinia.
    HQ XII Air Support Command transfers from Tunisia to Sicily.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, 10 B-25's attack Vila Airfield on Kolombangara
Island, which is hit later in the day by B-24's on armored
reconnaissance. 17 B-24's pound the airfield on Ballale Island. Several
fighters join US Navy dive bombers in strikes on AA and bivouacs in the
Munda area on New Georgia Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  13 B-24's bomb airfields and the town area in Rabaul, New Britain
Island and vicinity. In the Moluccas Islands, 2 B-25's hit Lingat Air-
field and Selaroe Island villages. A lone B-17 bombs Garove Island in the
Bismarck Archipelago.

TUESDAY, 13 JULY 1943

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    16 B-25's lay mines in the Irrawaddy River, Burma.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    B-24's strike airfields at Crotone, Italy and Vibo Valentia, Sicily.
In Sicily, B-25's attack the Leonforte road and harbor at Termini; and
P-40's patrol the Licata area.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily during the night of 12/13 Jul, Northwest African Strategic
Air Force (NASAF) Wellingtons hit Caltanissetta, Gerbini Airfield, and
Enna. During the day, B-17's, B-25's, B-26's, and fighters attack Enna,
Milo Airfield, Carcitella landing ground, Randazzo, and targets of
opportunity. Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) aircraft hit
truck convoys, trains, railway stations, troops, and numerous targets of
opportunity over wide areas in Sicily. Northwest African Coastal Air
Force (NACAF) continues sea patrols, reconnaissance, and convoy protec-
tion and attack ship convoy NE of Palermo, Sicily.
    On the ground in Sicily, the British effort to break out onto Catania
Plain by establishing bridgehead over Simeto River near Lentini is firmly
opposed.
    HQ 31st Fighter Group and it's 309th Fighter Squadron transfer with
Spitfires from Gozo Island, Malta to Ponte Olivo, Sicily.
    The air echelon of the 23d Photographic Squadron (Light), 5th Photo-
graphic Reconnaissance and Mapping Group arrives at La Marsa, Tunisia from
the US with F-5's. The ground echelon is still at Colorado Springs,
Colorado and will not leave the US until 8 Aug; they will arrive at La
Marsa on 8 Sep.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-17's and B-24's, operating individually, bomb the
airfield, town area, harbor, and other targets in the Lae area; B-25's
blast positions in the Salamaua area, along the road between Kela and
MacDonald's Junction, and hit AA guns at Salamaua and MacDonald's Junc-
tion; and ground forces clear the Mubo area and Lababia Ridge of the
enemy.
  HQ 375th Troop Carrier Group arrives at Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
from the US.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Jul 1993 12:40:29 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MISC: French army

> >> Scott Hannon writes:
> >> Here's a quote from: J. Lee Ready, _Forgotten Allies: volume 1_
>
> >>    [In 1944]...it would be the French transport system which sustained
> >>    the Allies, albeit with American engineer aid. Yet the Anglo-Americans
> >>    continued to control all facets of the war."
>
> Bill Thacker writes:
> >When Ready speaks of "the French transport system" sustaining the Allies, I
> >can't figure what he means.  Is he simply stating that we drove on their
> >roads?

(Aside: Another reader objected to my use of the term "idiot" in reference
to Mr. Ready.  I had presumed that Ready was not a member of this list, but
simply the author of the quoted reference.
   While I stand by my tentative analysis of Mr. Ready's abilities, I do
sincerely apologize if he's a member of the list.  I may think he's an
idiot, but I'm tactful enough only to say so behind his back.)

> Briefly...Eisenhower *ordered* the abandonment of Strasbourg (without
> consulting his French allies). De Gaulle *ordered* the French to hold
> Strasbourg no matter what the Allies said. Annoyed, the US threatened
> to cut off supply to the French. The French then threatened to withdraw
> from Allied command and deny the Allies use of the French transport
> system. The Allied high command soon agreed to the French demand that
> Strasbourg be held.
>
> The French transport system refered to was not only the roads, but the
> ports and, perhaps most importantly, the railroads. The infrastructure
> was French run and operated (with US engineering help...and of course
> the US Army trucks had US Army drivers, etc).

And with this in mind, let us look again at Ready's statement:

> >>    [In 1944]...it would be the French transport system which sustained
> >>    the Allies, albeit with American engineer aid. Yet the Anglo-Americans
> >>    continued to control all facets of the war."

I've used better reasoning than this to fertilize my tomatos.  One might just
as easily say, "it was the French transport system which sustained the
Wehrmacht, albeit with German aid.  Yet the Germans continued to control
all aspects of the defense of France."

For the French to claim a significant participation in the liberation of
their nation simply because they didn't object to our drawing supplies
through their territory is ridiculous.  They granted virtually the same
consideration to the Germans in 1940. (*) And to threaten to undermine that
liberation effort is downright silly; they held themselves hostage.
Reminiscent of a scene from "Blazing Saddles," in fact.

(*) While I'll agree that terrorist activities did hamper the operation of
the French transport system, esp. railroads, from 1940-44, the overall
effect of said resistance only became signficant in a few cases, notably,
causing significant delays to the redeployment of 2nd SS Panzer (Das Reich)
to the Normandy area.  All told, given the choice between suffering a major
defeat (=thousands of casualties) or having Charles de Gaulle and his
supporters in a snit, I'd have given Chuckles the boot in a minute.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
Quality Engineer            Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]
          "Giving money and power to government is like giving
         whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." - P.J. O'Rourke

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Jul 1993 13:21:43 PDT
From:    Bob Gardner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MISC: French army

On a related point:

     In a theater near the top of l'Arc de Triumphe in Paris is a movie
     detailing great moments in the life of the monument.  One feature
     is the liberation of Paris [WWII] by the French Army.  It also
     leads the viewer to the idea that the French Army also liberated
     France.

Gardner @ Hughes

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Jul 1993 15:35:35 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WANT: 388th BG Alumni Assoc. Address

A question was posed my way, which I will now forward... :-)

Does anyone know an address or phone number for the 388ths Bomb Group
Alumni Association?

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force
  You know you've made a gear-up landing when it takes full power to taxi.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Jul 1993 15:54:35 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Dangers of liberating the French

Gallic pride may never recover from Allied liberation -- or was it all
  those beautiful French girls Americans liberated from France
  that upsets them?

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Jul 1993 19:08:06 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: Introduction to WWII-L

Changes: Digest ftp site noted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to WWII-L, a list dedicated to the discussion of the
greatest cataclysm of the Twentieth century (and, hopefully,
the last.)

I'm Larry W. Jewell and I'll be listowner until further
notice.  I can be reached at the addresses listed at the end
of this notice.

WWII-L will be self-moderated.  This means that each of you
will always try to remember that there is a human being on the
other end of the net, and the "Golden Rule" is rule number
one!

Our subject is HUGE and not everyone will be interested in
everything that moves over the mails.  To ease YOUR burden of
sorting the items you wish to read I offer the following
"flags".  They will go FIRST on the Subject: line.
(This section will be enforced when traffic get heavy, otherwise
members may use their discretion on the matter.)

SCI (for discussion of science and technology, may overlap
     with WEAP)
WEAP ( for talk of weapons, useage of weapons, and "My favorite
       weapon.")
POL (Political discussions, such as the effects of the Yalta
     Conference)
TAC (Tactical and Strategic discussions, "Island hopping vs.
     Single axis")
REF (References, review, where-to-buy, etc.)
INF (Tables of Organization, raw data, chronologies, etc.)
DOC (Reproductions of documents, Declarations of War,
     Speeches, Treaties, etc.)
GEN ("Let's find a category for this.")
TRV (For you trivia buffs. Try to stump everyone.)
VET (For reunions, VA announcements, Legislation affecting veterans)
HOME (For discussions of events on the "Homefront".  To help distinguish
      WHICH homefront we're talking about, use the following format:
      HOME:US for the U.S.A.,
      HOME:GER for Germany, and so forth.)
NOST (For Nostalgia items, such as trips to battle sites, historical
      recreations, museum information, where to buy badges and hats, etc.)
ADMIN (For listowner use, to post introduction and related material.
       Responses to article are welcome, but only listowner should originate
       an "ADMIN" article.)
WANT (For trading, suggestion on stores worth visting, etc.  Please offer to
      send more information via e-mail rather than posting an entire inventory.)
MEDIA (To review and report tv and other media "events".)
NEWS (For reproductions of newspaper, magazine, and other articles from the
      period under discussion.  Present day news items should be post under
      "MEDIA".
ARC  (For discussion of on-line resources and materials, such as those avail-
      able via ftp or gopher.  Discussion of the WWII-OLA (On-Line Archives)
      should be posted under this flag.))

Some items will overlap, of course, but the main thrust of the item
should be clear.  Try not to ask so many questions in a single post
that the flags become inoperative.  Several short posts are preferable
to one long one, and are easier to answer and quote.  You should change
the flag in the subject line if the thread takes a new direction.  If
you reply to a posting which didn't have a flag, please insert the proper
flag.  (This can help categorize the subject for people who have to down-
load the mail via slow modem, one of the main reasons for having the flags
at all.)

You'll be hearing from me if you "forget" this system.  I also
solicit additions to this list.  Please keep this table handy
until you're comfortable with the flags.

Abbreviations are another subject that needs attention.  While many of us
will be comfortable with the most arcane and obscure acronyms and abbreviations
many of the readers of this list are here to learn more about the war and
will have trouble decyphering your articles if they are packed with "LAH",
"CinCUS", "StuG III", etc.  PLEASE expand these terms at least once in your
post.  Similarly, since this list is primarily in English, could we please
translate the "foreign" terms?  A long discussion on "Kido Butai" or "Wacht-
am-Rhine" without an explantion of the terms isn't polite if we exclude part
of the list because they have no clue as to the meaning of the terms.

Now we come to the REALLY hard part.

Some subjects have been beaten to death, and I KNOW that they'll
come up almost as soon as the group gets started.  To save us
all time, I'll ask that the following subjects be covered by
private mail (in other words, talk to someone who CARES.)  I'm
not judging the validity of anyone's arguments one way or the
other in these subject, just that I have yet to see one person
change their mind about them.

1. The Holocaust
2. Did Roosevelt Know About The Coming Attack on Pearl Harbor?
3. (Watch this space...)

One last item, STATE YOUR REFERENCES!  You're in tough company
here.  Some of the folks in this list are VERY sharp, and
you'll end up with egg on your face if you haven't done your
homework.

Normally the listserv will want you to subscribe from you own account rather
than having me add you to the list.  This allows the software to confirm
mailing routes as I don't always get your full address in the mail.

Contact me if listserv gives you any problems and we'll seek a solution.

SUBSCRIPTION INFOMATION:

ALL Messages are to go to:

[email-masked] (internet)
listserv@ubvm                (bitnet)

Send the following commands  in the body of the message.

To SUBSCRIBE:

subscribe wwii-l (your name)

To UNSUBSCRIBE:

unsubscribe wwii-l

To turn mail off for a period without unsubscribing:

set wwii-l nomail

To turn mail back on when ready:

set wwii-l mail

To Digest (have all postings sent in one mailing per day):

set wwii-l digest

To restore normal mail (undigest the list.)

set wwii-l mail

To confirm that your posting has been sent to the list:

set wwii-l ack

To get a copy of your posting sent to you:

set wwii-l repro

(Ack will send you a note saying "your file has been succesfully distributed,
and repro will send a copy back to you of your posting..

To retrieve logfiles for WWII-L send mail to [email-masked] or
                                             listserv@ubvm (for bitnet)

with this message in the body:

get wwii-l log9207c

This file will contain all the postings sent to the list in the third week
of July.

The files are held for two months and broken down by seven day periods (which
usually don't coincide with the calendar "week".  Thus you might see this
kind of entry

WWII-L LOG9207A  (for 01-07 July, 1992)
WWII-L LOG9207B  (for 08-14 July, 1992)
WWII-L LOG9207C  (for 15-21 July, 1992)

You can also get the files by ftp if you have access.  FTP into ubvm.cc.buffalo.
edu and CD to WWII-L.  The files are in ascii format and the machine is case
sensitive.

The Daily Digests are compiled into a monthly collection which can be obtained
from:

byrd.mu.wvnet.edu
/pub/history/military/wwii/digests

If I haven't suffciently confused you, send me e-mail and I'll finish the job:-)

Larry J
Date:         Wed, 16 Sep 1992 18:06:11 CDT
From: DONALD NEWCOMB <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Getting back articles and the database

From:Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Larry,
  One of the "niftiest" features of the listserver is the database
search. This allows the user to search for any subject and print
either an index of the "hits" or the articles themselves. For
instance if you mail the command sequence below to "[email-masked]"
or "[email-masked]" it will send you an index of all
articles in the archive that deal with weapons (the WEAP: tag).
_
//Job
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD *
sel * in wwii-l where subject contains ("weap:")
index
/*
_
If you change the word "index" to "print" it will return you a copy
of the articles themselves. I think you can start with the listserv
"help" command and find a complete set of instructions  for using the
database. The complete instructions are very complex and should only
be tackled by someone with experience with data searching experience.

Donald R. Newcomb - Univ. of Southern Mississippi - Gulf Park
   <[email-masked]>

Enough talking.  I can be reached at the following addresses;

Larry W. Jewell                      [email-masked]
2501 Soldier's Home Rd. #58B         JEWELLL@PURCCVM
W. Lafayette, IN, 47906-3571
(317)496-3234

#Larry W. Jewell (ex-USN)  WWII-L Listowner   [email-masked]     #
#"Sunday's horoscope is noteworthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly#
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." #
#--"Your Horoscope," L.A. Evening Herald Express, Saturday, Dec. 6, 1941.   #

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 14 Jul 1993 03:53:00 -0400
From:    "Helena M. Menezes 30935" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Home: US (German spy plane in America?) ~#

          Friends,
          I am a Brazilian doing some research about the first Brazilian
          ships torpedoed by the Germans on the American coast (Virgina/
          North Carolina). That was the main cause that took us to fight
          that war as many of you may well know.
              The first ship attacked was the steamship "Buarque" on the
          night of the 15th by the U-432 (Kptlt. Schultze, H.O). As I went
          through the "Buarque's" captain report, as well as other members
          of the ship's crew, they all mention about an "airplane flying
          very low and releasing flares to mark the ship's position" right
          before the attack.  The  "Official Account of the Brazilian Navy
          in the WWII" referring to the "Buarque's" attack says: "...as we
          all know today, the Germans had a spy plane based in American
          territory to help guide the U-Boats attacking ships on the East
          American coast..."
             Does anybody knows anything about this?

          Thanks for your help. It sure feels good to be part of this list.
          Claudio Braga
          (Please reply to my wife's E-mail address:
          [email-masked]@internet)

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 12 Jul 1993 to 13 Jul 1993
*************************************************