Subject: WWII-L Digest - 30 Jul 1993 to 1 Aug 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1993 00:00:29 -0400

There are 9 messages totalling 1285 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INF: US Army 1-10 Aug. '43 (3)
  2. INF: US Army, 11-20 Aug. '43
  3. INF: US Army, 21-31 Aug. '43
  4. INF: US Army Chrono Abbrevs.
  5. INF: US Army Code Name file.
  6. Green Books (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Aug 1993 17:56:12 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: US Army 1-10 Aug. '43

From: UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II, Special Studies:
CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945, compiled by Mary H. Williams, Office of
the Chief of Military History, Department of the Army,
Washington, D.C., 1960

1 AUGUST

NEW GEORGIA-43d Div's 103d and 169th Regts-172d Inf now being
pinched out-reach outer taxiways of Munda airfield without
serious difficulty since main body of enemy has withdrawn. In
37th Div zone, Japanese are found to have abandoned Horseshoe
Hill; 148th Inf succeeds in breaking through to main body. Hg of
25th Div and 27th Inf arrive on Sasavele; 35th Inf is alerted
for movement to Munda.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps area, 3d
Div completes relief of 45th Div-which is transferred to Prov
Corps-on N coast in S. Stefano area; continues eastward drive
along coastal highway, gaining several miles. On Highway 120,
1st Div continues to press toward Troina, forward elements
reaching outskirts, and begins move to outflank enemy, who is
resisting strongly. 9th Div (less RCT 39 in action with 1st Div)
arrives at Palermo.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, Cdn 1st Div joins 231st Brig
in assault on Regalbuto and succeeds in penetrating into the
town. Enemy continues vigorous defense of Centuripe.

RUMANIA-Ploesti oil refineries are targets for first low-level,
mass assault by AAF heavy bombers based in Libya. 177 B-17's,
some drawn from NAAF and others on loan from Eighth Air Force,
all under control of Gen Brereton, CG Ninth Air Force, conduct
the attack for which pilots and crews have been intensively
trained in N Africa. Oil objectives, although heavily defended,
are severely damaged. Cost of this operation (TIDALWAVE) is
high: 54 planes are lost, 41 of them in action. 7 of the B-17's
land in Turkey.

2 August

ALEUTIAN IS.-In preparation for invasion of Kiska, surface
vessels of 2 naval TF's and aircraft of Eleventh Air Force
bombard the island.

SOLOMON IS.-RCT 27 of 25th Div and div hg arrive on New Georgia
I., where RCT 27 is given mission of defending N flank of XIV
Corps and maintaining contact with 2d Bn of 148th Inf, 37th Div.
XIV Corps is steadily clearing Munda airfield area.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, mines and
demolitions are slowing advance of II Corps' 3d Div along
coastal road. 1st Div continues efforts to envelop and reduce
Troina, which enemy is defending tenaciously.

In Br Eighth Army area, left flank elements of 30 Corps gain
firm control of Regalbuto and continue E while 78th Div fights
indecisively in streets of Centuripe throughout day.

ITALY-Allied warning to Italian people of imminent invasion of
Italy is broadcast from Algiers.

3 AUGUST

NEW GEORGIA-XIV Corps continues battle for Munda airfield and is
progressing steadily. Bibolo Hill mass, just N of airfield, is
cleared of enemy. 3d Bn of 148th Inf, Liversedge Force, is
moving forward from Bairoko area to block northward withdrawal
of enemy from Munda. S Pacific Scouts (Fijian and Solomons
natives) are attached to 25th Div.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S, Seventh Army's II Corps area, 3d
Div, supported by naval gunfire, continues E along N coast road
toward Furiano R. 1st Div makes limited progress in Troina area,
where enemy is still offering firm resistance.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, enemy's Catania position,
which is being thinned out, becomes untenable as 78th Div takes
Centuripe, forcing enemy back across Salso R. In 13 Corps'
coastal sector, 5th Div opens attack on 2-brig front, night 3-4.

USSR-Soviet offensive broadens as troops of Voronezh and Steppes
Fronts open powerful drive on Kharkov, in N Ukraine. 3 Soviet
fronts (West, Bryansk, and Center) are closing in on Orel.

4 AUGUST

ALEUTIAN IS.-Eleventh Air Force offensive against Kiska reaches
its peak as 152 tons of bombs are dropped during 134 sorties.

NEW GEORGIA-XIV Corps continues to clear Munda area. 43d Div
sector is clear except for Kokengolo Hill, N of the runway on
airfield. Most of 37th Div's assault force reaches the sea.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps area,
15th Inf of 3d Div, although assisted by naval gunfire, is
unable to force crossing of Furiano R. RCT 7 moves by water to
positions on coast behind RCT 15. After strong arty and air
preparation, 1st Div makes all-out effort to take Troina but
cannot break through enemy positions. In support of assault on
Troina, 60th Inf of 9th Div, reinf by arty and engineer units,
moves against positions N and NW of Cesaro. 9th Div ( - )
completes assembly at Nicosia and is attached to II Corps.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, Cdn 1st and Br 78th Divs
pursue enemy northward across Salso R. 13 Corps' 50th Div is
alerted for drive on Catania. 5th Div continues toward
Misterbianco.

5 AUGUST

NEW GEORGIA-Munda airfield, main objective of central Solomons
campaign, falls to XIV Corps after 12 days of fighting in well-
fortified jungle. 25th Div has task of driving on Bairoko and
Zieta in order to clear final resistance and make contact with
Liversedge Force.

NEW GUINEA-Lt Col Malcolm A. Moore takes command of newly formed
Second Air Task Force based at advanced airfield recently
constructed at Tsili Tsili, in Watut R Valley W of Lae, in order
to facilitate operations against Lae.

SICILY-i5th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, on N flank of
II Corps, 3d Div opens attack on S. Fratello Ridge. 1st Div,
with direct air support, continues battle for Troina, gaining
positions overlooking the town. Enemy withdraws from Troina,
night 5-6.

In Br Eighth Army area, 30 Corps continues toward Adrano; 13
Corps overruns Paterno, Misterbianco, and Catania.

USSR-Red Army captures Orel and Belgorod, both valuable prizes.
2d Pz Army is virtually destroyed during the Orel battle,
remnants being absorbed by 9th Army. Fall of Belgorod, key enemy
position on N face of Kharkov salient, greatly weakens enemy's
Kharkov position.

6 AUGUST

BATTLE OF VELLA GLULF-Japanese naval force taking reinforcements
to central Solomons is intercepted in Vella Gulf, between Vella
Lavella and Kolombangara, by U.S. naval TF under Cmdr Frederick
Moosbrugger. In the ensuing night action, 3 enemy DD's are sunk
but another vessel escapes. About 300 Japanese succeed in
reaching Vella Lavella but over 1,500 are lost. This ends enemy
plans for counterattack on New Georgia.

NEW GUINEA-Japanese order air reinforcements to Wewak.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps area, 3d
Div continues to attack enemy positions along Furiano R on N
coast but is unable to advance. RCT T6 of 1st Div enters Troina,
from which enemy has withdrawn, and pushes E until halted by
opposition about a mile from the town. RCT 60, 9th Div, takes
heights 7 miles N of Troina. 9th Div is reinf by 91st Rcn Sq and
4th Tabor of goums.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, Adrano falls to 78th Div as
enemy pulls out, night 6-7. 1st Div takes Biancavilla.

7 AUGUST

NEW GEORGIA-Munda airfield is ready for emergency use.

INDIA-Gen Stratemeyer arrives in India.

CHINA-Col Dorn reports that Gen Chen will not return to Yunnan
from Enshih to command Y-Force until more troops and supplies
are provided. At this time only 2 Ch armies have begun to
reorganize.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps area, 3d
Div improves positions on N coast in S. Fratello region against
continued strong resistance. Night 7-8, small amphibious force
(2d Bn of 30th Inf, reinf) makes landing on coast 2 miles E of
S. Agata, greatly facilitating progress in that area. 9th Div
replaces 1st Div and begins drive on Randazzo, enemy strongpoint
that on this date is target for peak air effort. 9th Div pushes
E in 2 columns, one from M. Pelato, 8 miles N of Troina, and the
other along Highway 120.

8 AUGUST

NEW GEORGIA-RCT 161, 25th Div, starts northward behind 1st Bn of
27th Inf to clear region W of Bairoko Harbor in conjunction with
Liversedge Force, which is to clear area E of the harbor.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps area,
enemy is forced to fall back on N coast road and 3d Div takes S.
Agata. 9th Div's 47th Inf reaches Cesaro, on road to Randazzo;
60th Inf captures M. Camolato, 6 miles NW of Cesaro.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, Bronte falls to 78th Div.

9 AUGUST

NEW GEORGIA-25th Div column (1st Bn of 27th Inf) makes contact
with Liversedge Force. 35th Inf is ordered to prepare to land on
Vella Lavella.

MEDITERRANEAN-Gen Alexander directs Gen Montgomery to seize
bridgehead on Calabrian coast of Italy with current resources.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, II Corps
advances steadily eastward against rear-guard opposition. In
coastal sector, forward elements of 3d Div reach Torrenuovo;
enemy falls back to Zappulla R. 9th Div's 47th Inf advances
along Cesaro-Randazzo highway, and 60th advances in difficult
terrain to N. Enemy pulls back to Simeto R line, between Cesaro
and Randazzo.

Since enemy is delaying advance on Messina via Randazzo in Br
Eighth Army's 30 Corps sector, Gen Montgomery decides to make a
greater effort along E coast with 13 Corps and commits 5th Div
there to drive N in region E of M. Etna in conjunction with 50th
Div.

10 AUGUST

NEW GEORGIA-1st Bn of 27th Inf, 25th Div, is attached to
Liversedge Force to assist in clearing region between Bairoko
Harbor and Enogai Inlet. 3d Bn of 148th Inf, 37th Div, is
detached from Liversedge Force and attached to 27th Inf of 25th
Div with mission of intercepting northward withdrawal of enemy
from Munda.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, II Corps
continues to pursue enemy eastward. In coastal sector, enemy
retires to heights W of Naso and is followed by 3d Div. During
night 10-11, 3d Div makes another highly successful landing on
coast, outflanking enemy in Capo d'Orlando region. The
amphibious force (2d Bn of 30th Inf, reinf by arty and tanks),
with close air and naval gunfire support, lands 2 miles E of
Capo d'Orlando and establishes positions astride main highway
and RR. 9th Div elements driving along Highway 120 toward
Randazzo reach road junction N of Bronte.

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Aug 1993 17:56:49 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: US Army, 11-20 Aug. '43

From: UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II, Special Studies:
CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945, compiled by Mary H. Williams, Office of
the Chief of Military History, Department of the Army,
Washington, D.C., 1960

11 AUGUST

POA-Lt Gen Robert C. Richardson, Jr., organizes small TF (804th
Aviation Engr Bn, prov AAA bn, prov air service support sq,
fighter sq, and service units) to develop Baker I. as a base
from which to support coming offensive in Central Pacific.

SOLOMON IS.-Adm Halsey issues orders for further operations in
central Solomons. Northern Force (TF 31) under Rear Adm Theodore
S. Wilkinson is to land troops (RCT 35, 25th Div, and supporting
units) under Brig Gen Robert B. McClure on Vella Lavella to
seize air and naval bases. Strong Japanese forces at Vila on
Kolombangara will thus be bypassed. New Georgia Occupation Force
is to extend its positions to Arundel and shell enemy on
Kolombangara. 43d Div amphibious patrol finds evidence that
Japanese are holding Baanga I.

NEW GUINEA-Fifth Air Force completes movement of Second Task
Force to Tsili Tsili field.

SICILY-Allied aircraft supporting the 15th Army Group are
concentrating on enemy movements and evacuation points with good
effect as enemy withdraws at a rapid rate from Sicily to Italian
mainland.

15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps area, as a
result of the successful amphibious operation on coast, night
10-11, 3d Div overruns Naso with little difficulty and enemy
retires eastward beyond Patti. 9th Div presses closer to
Randazzo, passing 39th Inf through 47th on Highway 120; 60th Inf
continues toward Floresta on 9th Div N flank.

In Br Eighth Army area, Gen Montgomery, anxious to prepare for
imminent invasion of Italy, orders 51st Div to relieve 5th Div
and 30 Corps hq to take over duties of 13 Corps hq on 13 August.

USSR-Closing in on Kharkov, some Red Army units reach Akhtyrka
and others cut Kharkov-Poltava RR.

12 AUGUST

ALEUTIAN IS.-In a final preinvasion naval bombardment of Kiska,
5 cruisers and 5 DD's expend 60 tons of shells.

SOLOMON IS.-Advance landing party from Rendova goes ashore at
Barakoma on Vella Lavella, night 12-13, to pave way for main
landing on 15th and finds only stragglers. Co L of 169th Inf,
43d Div, begins landing on Baanga to establish beachhead but
runs into heavy opposition and is forced to withdraw, leaving 34
men ashore.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Amy's II Corps area, 3d
Div continues pursuit of enemy in coastal sector. 9th Div's 60th
Inf reaches Floresta, N of Randazzo; 39th continues E along
Highway 120, gaining favorable position for assault on Randazzo,
but enemy withdraws, night 12-13.

In Eighth Army area, 30 Corps' 78th Div, which has been held up
for several days S of Maletto, seizes that town.

USSR-Chuguev, SE of Kharkov, falls to Red Army as investment of
Kharkov continues.

13 AUGUST

ALEUTIAN IS.-Kiska invasion force leaves Adak for target.

SOLOMON IS.-Elements of 169th Inf, 43d Div, land on Vela Cela,
small island between New Georgia and Baanga, and reconnoiter
without incident. Aircraft search for the American party on
Baanga. First Allied plane lands on Munda airfield, New Georgia.

NEI-B-24's of 380th Heavy Bombardment Group, which has recently
arrived in Australia as part of air reinforcements promised SWPA
at Pacific Military Conference in March, attack oil center at
Balikpapan, (Borneo) in force. The round trip covers 1,200
miles.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps coastal
sector, RCT 30 of 3d Div continues E toward Patti despite
formidable roadblock at Capo Calava that requires movement about
it by water. RCT 15 and 3d Ranger Bn are clearing pockets SW of
Patti. In 9th Div sector, RCT 39 enters Randazzo without
opposition and is passed through by RCT 47, which continues E,
as does RCT 6o to N.

ITALY-Twelfth Air Force makes second large-scale attack on
marshaling yards at Rome, employing 106 B-17's, 102 B-26's, and
66 B-25's with fighter escort. Some 500 tons of bombs are
dropped, causing heavy damage. Fighter opposition is strong but
only 2 B-26's are lost. USSR-Soviet forces continue to improve
positions in Kharkov area against determined opposition. Other
Red Army troops driving on Smolensk take Spas Demensk.

14 AUGUST

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES-QUADRANT Conference, attended by
President Roosevelt, Prime Minister Churchill, and CCS, opens in
Quebec, Canada.

POA-U.S. Army Forces in Central Pacific Area (USAFICPA) is
activated under Gen Richardson, who is to have charge of
administration and training of ground and air forces in Central
Pacific.

SOLOMON IS.-Brig Gen Francis P. Mulcahy, USMC, COMAIR New
Georgia, opens command post at Munda airfield, New Georgia. Two
sqs of Marine aircraft (F4U) arrive to begin operations. 3d Bn
of 169th Inf, 43d Div, establishes beachhead on SE Baanga with 3
cos. Co L tries to rescue the force stranded there earlier but
is encircled by enemy and suffers heavy casualties.

NEW GUINEA-With close air and arty support, 2d Bn of 162d Inf,
U.S. 41st Div, pushes to crest of Roosevelt Ridge, but enemy
retains series of ridges on Dot Inlet.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps area, 3d
Div speeds eastward along coast to vicinity of Barcellona. Some
9th Div elements make contact with 3d Div in Montalbano area;
those on Highway 120 are passed through by RCT 18 of 1st Div,
which continues pursuit E of Randazzo.

Br Eighth Army is out of contact with enemy.

ITALY-Italian Government proclaims Rome an open city.

MEDITERRANEAN-Naval plan "Western Naval Task Force Operation
Plan No. 7-43" for Operation AVALANCHE, invasion of Italy at
Salerno, is issued. Elements of the naval force are to make
diversionary feint against beaches NW of Naples.

15 AUGUST

ALEUTIAN IS.-Allied invasion force arrives off Kiska and begins
landing without opposition, Weather conditions prevent air
support of the operation (COTTAGE), but Eleventh Air Force,
during final phase of preinvasion bombardment from 10 August to
date, has dropped 355 tons of bombs. Under command of Vice Adm
Thomas C. Kinkaid, Adm Rockwell commands the amphibious force of
nearly 100 ships, and Maj Gen Charles H. Corlett, USA, is in
charge of landing force of over 34,000 troops. Troops employed
are: 17h Inf of 7th Div, which participated in the Attu
operation; 53d Inf; 87th Inf, trained in mountain fighting;
184th Inf; 1st Special Service Force; Cdn 13th Brig Gp; hq
troops. 159th Inf of 7th Div, originally earmarked for the Kiska
operation, is garrisoning Attu so that 17th Inf, with battle
experience in the Aleutians, can be employed.

SOLOMONS IS.-Wilkinson's Northern Landing Force puts Gen
McClure's Landing Force-RCT 35 of 25th Div and supporting units-
ashore on SE coast of Vella Lavella in Barakoma area, where
beachhead is established without ground opposition. Japanese
aircraft are very active against shipping but do little damage.
Zieta, New Georgia, falls to 27th Inf, 25th Div. On Baanga, the
small American beachhead is strengthened by 2d Bn of 169th Inf,
43d Div, which attacks through Co I after the latter tries in
vain to reach Co L. Elements of Co L succeed in joining main
body, but the co is so depleted in strength that it is sent back
to Munda.

NEW GUINEA-Japanese make first air attack on new air base at
Tsili Tsili.

BURMA-Work on Ledo Road is progressing very slowly. From end of
March to date, only 3 miles have been constructed.

MEDITERRANEAN-U.S. Fifth Army issues Outline Plan for Operation
AVANLANCHE. Gen G. Castellano of Italian Commando Supremo begins
negotiations for armistice at British Embassy in Madrid.

SICILY-Withdrawing enemy forces are being subjected to round-
the-clock air attacks.

15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, 157th Inf of 45th
Div, under Seventh Army control, lands on N coast NW of
Barcellona, night 15-16, behind forward elements of II Corps' 3d
Div in order to block enemy withdrawal. In II Corps area, 3d Div
continues rapidly along N coast to Spadafora. 9th Div remains in
Randazzo area. 1st Div halts advance.

 Br Eighth Army completes drive around M. Etna as 78th Div
clears Randazzo-Linguaglossa road and 51st Div overruns
Linguaglossa. 50th Div seizes Taormina, on road to Messina.
Commandos with tanks land, night 15-16, on E coast at Ali in
effort to cut off retreating enemy, but are too late to
accomplish the mission; start inland toward Messina.

USSR-Soviet forces driving W astride Orel-Bryansk RR overrun
Karachev. Hard fighting continues in Kharkov sector.

16 AUGUST

SOLOMON IS.-43d Div commander personally directs operations on
Baanga and commits 172d Regt (-) as well as 169th (-). Arty
supports attack but progress is still slow. Enemy guns on Baanga
begin shelling Munda.

MEDITERRANEAN-At conference of commanders at Carthage, final
decisions are made for invasion of Italy. 13 Corps of Br Eighth
Army, employing Cdn 1st and Br 5th Divs, which have been
withdrawn from Sicilian battle, is to cross Strait of Messina to
Calabrian coast between 1 and 4 September. This operation
(BAYTOWN) is to be followed on 9 September, or not more than 48
hours later, by main assault of U.S. Fifth Army in Salerno area
(AVALANCHE).

SICILY-Enemy continues withdrawal of rear guards to Italy as
rapidly as possible and offers no organized opposition.

15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps area, RCT 7 of
3d Div, speeding toward Messina, reaches Divieto in coastal
sector. Strong 3d Div patrols enter Messina, which is under fire
from Italian coast, before midnight.

17 AUGUST

ALEUTIAN IS.-Main enemy camp on Kiska is found to be deserted.
Search of the island continues.

SOLOMON IS.-Second echelon of Northern Landing Force arrives at
Vella Lavella and unloads despite enemy air attacks. 43d Div
troops on Baanga are assisted by dive bombers as well as arty
but make little headway.

NEW GUINEA-Fifth Air Force begins series of heavy air attacks on
Wewak and satellite fields at But, Dagua, and Boram in order to
neutralize them in preparation for offensive against Lae.

SICILY-15th Army Group: Sicily Campaign ends with official entry
of RCT 7, 3d Div, into Messina at 1000. Americans are joined
there a little later by Br force from Ali. Fall of Sicily
permits stepped-up air operations against the next objective,
Italy.

GERMANY-315 Eighth Air Force bombers make destructive daylight
attacks on aircraft plants at Schweinfurt and Regensburg,
dropping 724 tons of bombs. In air battles over targets, 60 U.S.
bombers are shot down, but enemy plane losses are far heavier.
RAF begins massive attacks (Operation CROSSBOW) on German V-
weapons experimental bases with night strike (17-18) against
Peenemuende, on Baltic Sea coast, by about 570 aircraft dropping
almost 2,000 tons of bombs.

18 AUGUST

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES-CCS, at QUANDRANT Conference in
Quebec, direct Gen Eisenhower to send representatives to Lisbon
to negotiate with Italians for armistice.

ELLICE IS.-Implementing directive of 20 July to establish bases
from which assault on the Marshalls can be supported, advance
party lands on Nanomea to reconnoiter and choose airfield site.

SOLOMON IS.-Japanese naval force bound for Horaniu, at Kokolope
Bay on NE Vella Lavella, for purpose of establishing barge base
there, is intercepted early in morning by U.S. naval force,
which sinks 2 submarine chasers, 2 torpedo boats, and 1 barge.
43d Div commits another bn of 172d Inf to assault on Baanga.

MEDITERRANEAN-Air plan for support of Operation AVALANCHE is
issued.

USSR-Red Army troops further improve positions about Kharkov
with capture of Zmiev, S of the city.

19 AUGUST

SOLOMON IS.-Japanese troop-laden barges that escaped U.S. naval
force on 18th succeed in unloading at Horaniu, Vella Lavella. On
Baanga I., Japanese naval guns that have been shelling Munda are
captured.

NEW GUINEA-Japanese abandon positions on Mt Tambu and Komiatum
Ridge, last major obstacles before Salamaua, and fall back to
final defensive positions.

20 AUGUST

SOLOMON IS.-43d Div troops complete offensive on Baanga, sealing
off S peninsula. Action on the island has cost the div 52 killed
and 110 wounded. A search of rest of island and of islands
leading N to Diamond Narrows is uneventful. Japanese withdraw
from S Baanga.

NEW GUINEA-Gen Blamey takes command of New Guinea Force,
releasing Gen Herring, who proceeds to Dobodura to command Aus I
Corps.

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Aug 1993 17:57:23 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: US Army, 21-31 Aug. '43

From: UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II, Special Studies:
CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945, compiled by Mary H. Williams, Office of
the Chief of Military History, Department of the Army,
Washington, D.C., 1960

21 AUGUST

SOLOMON IS.-Enemy planes intermittently attack vessels taking
third echelon of Northern Landing Force to Vella Lavella, but
cause little damage.

22 AUGUST

ALEUTIAN IS.-Uneventful search for enemy on Kiska is completed.
Light casualties have been suffered by Allied forces during the
operation as a result of mistaken identity.

ELLICE IS.-Advance party of 2d Mar Airdrome Bn lands at
Nukufetau, where air base is to be established.

NEW GUINEA-Air offensive against Wewak has neutralized enemy
airpower on New Guinea sufficiently for Allied warships (4 DD's
under Capt Jesse H. Carter) to risk voyage along coast from
Milne Bay to Finschhafen. After bombarding Finschhafen, night
22-23, the DD's return safely.

23 AUGUST

SOLOMON IS.-On New Georgia, 27th Inf of 25th Div reaches Piru
Plantation after difficult march through swampland.

USSR-Enemy abandons Kharkov, having exhausted reserves in a
losing battle for the city. Hard fighting is developing S of
Izyum and on Mius front as powerful Soviet forces attempt to
breach enemy defenses. On Mius front, Red Army troops cut
Taganrog-Stalino RR.   24 AUGUST

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES:- QUADRANT Conference at Quebec ends.
OVERLORD, invasion of northwestern Europe, target date 1 May
1944, and POINTBLANK, Combined Bomber Offensive to destroy
economic and military power of Germany as a prelude to OVERLORD,
shall constitute the primary effort against Germany. Plans for
invasion of Italy are approved, but the forces to be employed
are confined to those already allotted at TRIDENT. Advances
against Japan are to be made along both the Central Pacific and
the SWPA route. Action in the Central Pacific is to begin with
invasion of Gilberts and Marshalls. In SWPA, Rabaul will be
neutralized but not captured; New Guinea will be neutralized as
far W as Wewak; Manus and Kavieng are to be secured as bases
from which further advances can be supported. A new Allied
command, Southeast Asia Command (SEAC), is authorized to
simplify command structure in Asia; Adm Lord Louis Mountbatten
is to be Supreme Commander and Gen Stillwell will be his deputy.
China theater is not included in SEAC; as China is an area of
U.S. strategic responsibility, Gen Stilwell is responsible to
Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek. North Burma offensive is
scheduled to begin in February 1944.

POA-Fifth Amphibious Force W established under command of Adm
Turner.

NEW GUINEA-Aus 5th Div relieves Aus 3d Div of final operations
against Salamaua; primary objective is to divert enemy attention
from Lae. While Aus 5th Div is clearing heights S of Francisco R
on left, Americans of 162d Inf, 41st Div, continue operations
against ridges in Dot Inlet.

25 AUGUST

SOLOMON IS.-Action on New Georgia I. comes to a close as
Americans seize Bairoko Harbor without opposition. Japanese
remnants have withdrawn to Kolombangara and Arundel. 172d Inf,
43d Div, is to secure that part of Arundel I. commanding Diamond
Narrows.

MEDITERRANEAN-15th Army Group: U.S. Fifth Army issues Field
Order No. 1, putting outline plan for invasion of Italy into
effect. Under 15th Army Group, U.S. Fifth Army is to conduct
Operation AVALANCHE in Naples area and Br Eighth Army, Operation
BAYTOWN on toe of Italy.

26 AUGUST

INTERNATIIONAL AGREEMENS-U.S. and several other Allied nations
extend recognition to French Committee of National Liberation.

MEDITERRANEAN-15th Army Group: AVALANCHE Operation Plan of 15
August is modified somewhat to meet changes in situation. Br and
U.S. arty is in position on Sicily to support BAYTOWN.

27 AUGUST

ELLICE IS.-Rest of 2d Mar Airdrome Bn and elements of naval
construction bn arrive at Nukufetau.

SOLOMON IS.-172d Inf (-3d Bn), 43d Div, lands on SE Arundel at S
tip of Nauro Peninsula without opposition. While Co A holds
beachhead, rest of the force drives N to base of the peninsula.

ITALY-15th Army Group: Br rcn party, lands at Bova Marina, on
toe, and finds the area undefended.

USSR-Sevsk, S of Bryansk, falls to Red Army.

FRANCE-U.S. Eighth Air Force flies its first CROSSBOW mission,
187 B-17's bombing Watten.

28 AUGUST

ELLICE Is.-Forward echelon of 7th Mar Defense Bn and detachments
from 2 naval construction bns land on Nanomea.

29 AUGUST

SOLOMON IS.-Patrols of 172d Inf, 43d Div, start up E and W
coasts of Arundel without opposition. RCT 35 of 25th Div is
ordered to secure radar site on NE Vella Lavella in Kokolope Bay
region, where patrols have observed considerable enemy activity.

30 AUGUST

SOLOMON IS.-Elements of 1st Bn, 35th Inf, 25th Div, start N up E
coast of Vella Lavella toward Kokolope Bay.

USSR-Red Army surges forward in several sectors. Forces driving
on Smolensk take Yelnya. Others, in region W of Kursk, overrun
Gluchov. Breaking through to Sea of Azov on Mius front, Soviet
troops take Taganrog.

31 AUGUST

SOLOMON IS.-1st Bn of 145th Inf, 37th Div, arrives on Vella
Lavella from New Georgia and relieves 1st Bn of 35th Inf, 25th
Div, of perimeter defense mission so that it can move N to
Kokolope Bay. U.S. patrol on Arundel encounters light opposition
on E coast.

Transcribed and edited by:
Larry W. Jewell
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Aug 1993 18:04:37 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: US Army Chrono Abbrevs.

This should be a one-time download, but I'll post it each month with the
Army Chronology.  Same for the Code Name file to follow.

Larry J

From: UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II, Special Studies: CHRONOLOGY,
1941-1945, compiled by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military
History, Department of the Army, Washington, D.C., 1960

Abbreviations used in the above volume are included below.

AA             antiaircraft
AAA            antiaircraft artillery
AAF            Army Air Forces
AAFEC          Army Air Forces Engineer Command
AAFSC          Army Air Forces Service Command
AAI            Allied Armies in Italy
AASC           Allied Air Support Command (Mediterranean)
ABDA           Australian-British-Dutch-American
ABTF           airborne task force
ACMF           Allied Central Mediterranean Force
ADC            assistant division commander
AEAF           Allied Expeditionary Air Force (Europe)
AFHQ           Allied Force Headquarters (Mediterranean)
AFPAC          U.S. Army Forces in the Pacific
ALFSEA         Allied Land Forces South East Asia
AMET           Africa-Middle East Theater
AMLG           Allied Military Headquarters, Greece
AMMISCA        American Military Mission to China
amph           amphibian
amphib         amphibious
amtrac         amphibian tractor
AP             transport
APD            transport, high-speed
armd           armored
ASC            Air Support Command
AT             antitank
ATC            Air Transport Command
Aus            Australian
AUS            Army of the United States
AVG            American Volunteer Group (China)
BB             battleship
BC             bomber command
BCT            battalion combat team
BEF            Brazilian Expeditionary Force
BLT            boat landing team
bn             battalion
Br             British
brig           brigade
BTE            British Troops in Egypt
CA             heavy cruiser
CACW           Chinese-American Composite Wing
CAI            Chinese Army in India
CAM            Composite Army-Marine
CATF           Chinese Air Task Force
Cav            Cavalry
CBI            China-Burma-India
CC             combat command
CCA            Combat Command A
CCB            Combat Command B
CCC            Combat Command C
CCD            Combat Command D
CCL            Combat Command L
CCR            Combat Command R
CCV            Combat Command V
CC1            Combat Command 1
CC2            Combat Command 2
cdo(s)         commando(s)
CG             commanding general
Ch             Chinese
CinC           Commander in Chief
CINCPAC        Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet
CINCPOA        Commander in Chief, Pacific Ocean Areas
CL             light cruiser
CMF            Citizen Military Forces (New Guinea)
co             company
CO             commanding officer
COMAIRSOLS     Commander Air Forces, Solomons
COMCENPAC      Commander Central Pacific
COMINCH        Commander in Chief
COMSOPAC       Commander South Pacific
COSC           Combined Operational Service Command
COSSAC         Chief of Staff to the Supreme Allied Command
CP             command post
CT             China Theater, combat team
CTF            commander, task force
CV             aircraft carrier
CVE            aircraft carrier, escort
DA ALPS        Detachment d'Armee des Alpes
DA ATL         Detachment d'Armee de l'Atlantique
DD             destroyer
div            division
E              east, eastern
EAC            Eastern Air Command (CBI)
EAM            Ethniko Apeleftherotiko Metopo (Nation Liberation Front,
                 Greece)
engr(s)        engineer(s)
ETOUSA         European Theater of Operations, USA
FA             field artillery
FEAF           Far East Air Force
FEC            French Expeditionary Force
FF             Free French
FFI            Forces Francaises de l'Interieur
FFO            Forces Francaises de l'Ouest
FMF            Fleet Marine Force
FO             field order
Fr             French
G-2            Intelligence section of divisional or higher headquarters
G-4            Supply and evacuation section of divisional or higher
                 headquarters
Gds            Guards
GHQ            General Headquarters
gli            glider
GMT            Greenwich mean time
GO             general orders
gp             group
HALPRO         Air operation against Rumanian oil field:
hq             headquarters
I.             Island
IBT            India-Burma Theater
Ind            Indian
Inf            Infantry
Is.            Islands
ISCOM          Island Commander
JCS            Joint Chiefs of Staff
JWPC           Joint War Plans Committee
LANDFOR        landing force
LCI            landing craft, infantry
LCI(G)         landing craft, infantry, gunboat
LCM            landing craft, mechanized
LCVP           landing craft, vehicle and personnel
LOC            line of communications
LRP            long-range penetration
LST            landing ship, tank
M.             Mont, Monte, etc. (Italy and Sicily only)
MAAF           Mediterranean Allied Air Forces
MAC            Marine Amphibious Corps
MAG            Marine Aviation Group
Mar            Marine
MATAF          Mediterranean Allied Tactical Air Force
ME             Middle East
MEF            Middle East Forces
MG             machine gun
MLR            main line of resistance
MP             military police
MSR            main supply route
MTB            motor torpedo boat
mtn            mountain
MTOUSA         Mediterranean Theater of Operations, USA
N              north, northern
NAAF           Northwest African Air Force
NATO           North African Theater of Operations
NCAC           Northern Combat Area Command (Burma)
NEI            Netherlands East Indies
NGVR           New Guinea Volunteer Reserve
NTLF           Northern Troops and Landing Force
NZ             New Zealand
OPL            outpost line
OPLR           outpost line of resistance
PA             Philippine Army
Pac            Pacific
Para           parachute
PBM            patrol search plane
PC             Philippine Constabulary
PG             patrol vessel, gunboat
PGC            Persian Gulf Command
PGSC           Persian Gulf Service Command
P.I.           Philippine Islands
PIB            Papuan Infantry Battalion
POA            Pacific Ocean Areas
Pol            Polish
prov           provisional
PS             Philippine Scouts
pt             point
PT             patrol vessel, motor torpedo boat
Pz             Panzer
QM             quartermaster
R              river
RAAF           Royal Australian Air Force
RAF            Royal Air Force
rcn            reconnaissance
RCT            regimental combat team
regt           regimental
reinf          reinforced
RN             Royal Navy
RR             railroad
S              south, southern
S.             San, Sant, Santa, etc. (Italy and Sicily only)
SACMED         Supreme Allied Commander, Mediterranean
SAF            Strategic Air Force
SBD            "Dauntless" single-engine Navy scout-bomber
SEAC           Southeast Asia Command
sep            separate
SHAEF          Supreme Headquarters, Allied Expedition
SOPAC          South Pacific
SOS            Services of Supply
SPM            self-propelled mount
sq             squadron
SS             Schutzstaffel (Elite Guard)
SSF            Special Service Force
STLF           Southern Troops and Landing Force
SWPA           Southwest Pacific Area
TAF            Tactical Air Force
TD             tank destroyer
TF             task force
TOT            time on target
tr             troop
U.K.           United Kingdom
U.S.           United States
USA            U.S. Army
USAAF          U.S. Army Air Forces
USAAFUK        U.S. Army Air Forces in the United Kingdom
USAFBI         U.S. Army Forces, British Isles
USAFFE         U.S. Army Forces, Far East
USAFIA         U.S. Army Forces in Australia
USAFICPA       U.S. Army Forces in central Pacific Area
USAFIME        U.S. Army Forces in the Middle East
USAFISPA       U.S. Army Forces in the South Pacific Area
USASOS         U.S. Army Services of Supply
USFIA          U.S. Forces in Australia
USFIP          U.S. Forces in the Philippines
USMC           U.S. Marine Corps
USN            U.S. Navy
USSAFE         U.S. Strategic Air Forces in Europe
USSR           Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
USSTAF         U.S. Strategic Air Forces
VAC            V Amphibious Corps
W              west, western
WDAF           Western Desert Air Force

Transcribed and edited by:
Larry W. Jewell
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Aug 1993 18:06:00 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: US Army Code Name file.

From: UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II, Special Studies: CHRONOLOGY,
1941-1945, compiled by Mary H. Williams,
Office of the Chief of Military History,
Department of the Army, Washington, D.C., 1960

Code names used in the above volume are included below.

ABERDEEN       Chindit stronghold near Manhton, Burma.
ALAMO          Code for U.S. Sixth Army while operating as a special
               ground task force headquarters directly under GHQ SWPA.
ALPHA          Plan to defend Kunming and Chungking.
ALPHA          U.S. 3d Division force for southern France operation.
ANAKIM         Plan for recapture of Burma.
ANVIL          Early plan For invasion of southern France.
ARCADIA        U.S.-British conference held in Washington, December
               1941-January 1942.
ARGONAUT       International conference held at Malta and Yalta,
               January-February 1945.
ARGUMENT       USSTAF air operations against German aircraft factories,
               February 1944.
AVALANCHE      Invasion of Italy at Salerno.
AXIOM          Mission sent by SEAC to Washington and London in February
               1944 to urge CULVERIN.
BACKHANDER     Task force for operations on Cape Gloucester,
               New Britain.
BARBAROSSA     German offensive against USSR, 1941.
BAYTOWN        British invasion of Italy on Calabrian coast.
BETA           Plan to open port on coast of China.
BLACKCOCK      British 12 Corps operation to clear enemy salient between
               the Meuse and  Roer-Wurm Rivers from Roermond southward.
BLACKPOOL      Chindit roadblock on railroad near Namkwin, Burma.
BLOCKBUSTER    Canadian 2 Corps offensive in Calcar-Udem-Xanten area.
BOLERO         Build-up of U.S. forces and supplies in United Kingdom
               for cross-Channel attack.
BRASSARD       Operations against the island of Elba.
BREWER         Operations in the Admiralties.
BRIMSTONE      Plan for capture of Sardinia. Canceled.
BROADWAY       Drop site for Chindits, about fifty miles northwest of
               Indaw, Burma.
BUCCANEER      Plan for amphibious operation in Andaman Islands.
               Canceled.
BUFFALO        Operations to break out of Anzio (Italy) beachhead.
BUTTRESS       British operation against toe of Italy.
CAMEL          U.S. 36th Division force for southern France.
CAPITAL        Attack across the Chindwin River to Mandalay.
CARBONADO      Revised BETA.
CARPETBAGGER   Air operation from United Kingdom to drop supplies to
               patriot forces in Western Europe.
CARTWHEEL      Converging drives on Rabaul by South Pacific and SWPA
               forces.
CASONOVA       U.S. 95th Division diversionary action during operations
               against Metz.
CATCHPOLE      Operations against Eniwetok and Ujelang Atolls, Marshall
               Islands.
CHAMPION       Late 1943 plan for general offensive in Burma.
CHATTANOOGA-   AEAF operations against enemy train movements in France
  CHOO CHOO    and Germany.
CLEANSLATE     Invasion of Russell Islands.
CLIPPER        British 30 Corps offensive to reduce Geilenkirchen
               salient.
COBRA          U.S. First Army operation designed to penetrate the
               German defenses west of St Lo and secure Coutances,
               France.
CORKSCREW      Conquest of Pantelleria.
COTTAGE        Invasion of Kiska, 1943.
CRICKET        Malta portion of ARGONAUT Conference.
CROSSBOW       RAF operations against German V-weapons experimental
               bases.
CUDGEL         Planned small-scale operation on Arakan coast, Burma.
               Canceled.
CULVERIN       Plan for assault on Sumatra.
CYCLONE        Task force for Noemfoor.
DELTA          U.S. 45th Division force for southern France.
DEXTERITY      Operations against Cape Gloucester, New Britain.
DIRECTOR       Task force for invasion of Arawe, New Britain.
DIXIE          Mission of U.S. observers to Chinese communists.
DRACULA        Plan for attack on Rangoon, 1944.
DRAGOON        Final code for invasion of southern France.
ELKTON         Plan for seizure of New Britain, New Guinea, and New
               Ireland area.
END RUN        Task force of GALAHAD survivors used in drive on
               Myitkyina, Burma.
EUREKA         International conference at Tehran, November 1943.
FIREBRAND      Invasion of Corsica, 1943.
FLAX           Air operation to disrupt flow of German air transports
               from Italy to Sicily and Tunisia.
FLINTLOCK      Operations in the Marshall Islands.
FORAGER        Operations in the Marianas.
FRANTIC        AAF shuttle bombing of Axis-controlled Europe from bases
               in United Kingdom, Italy, and USSR.
FRY            Occupation of four islands in Lake Comacchio, Italy.
GALAHAD        American long range penetration groups (Burma).
GALVANIC       Operations in Gilbert Islands.
GOBLET         Invasion of Italy at Cotrone. Canceled.
GOLD           Normandy beach assaulted by troops of British 30 Corps,
               6 June 1944.
GOLDFLAKE      Movement of Canadian I Corps from Italy to ETO.
GRANITE        Plan for operations in POA in 1944.
GRENADE        21 Army Group large-scale offensive from the Roer to the
               Rhine.
GYMNAST        Early plan for Allied invasion of northwest Africa.
HERCULES       German plan to invade Malta. Canceled.
HURRICANE      Assault force for Biak, New Guinea.
HUSKY          Allied invasion of Sicily, July 1943,
ICEBERG        Invasion of the Ryukyu Islands.
ICHIGO         Japanese operation to take U.S. air bases in east China.
INDEPENDENCE   French offensive toward Belfort, France.
INTERLUDE      Rehearsal for Morotai operation.
JUNO           Normandy beach assaulted by troops of Canadian 3d
               Division, 6 June 1944.
LEVER          Operation to clear area between Reno and southwest shore
               of Lake Comacchio, Italy.
LONDON         Movement of first U.S. forces to Northern Ireland.
MAGNET         Yalta portion of ARGONAUT Conference.
MAILFIST       Capture of Singapore, 1945.
MALLORY MAJOR  Air offensive against Po River bridges, Italy.
MANNA          British occupation of southern Greece.
MARKET-GARDEN  Operation to secure bridgehead over Rhine River.
MARS           U.S. task force (5332d Brigade (Provisional)), CBI.
MICHAELMAS     Task force for seizure of Saidor, New Guinea.
MUSKET         Projected landing on heel of Italy near Taranto, 1943.
NEPTUNE        Actual 1944 operations within OVERLORD. Used for security
               reasons after September 1943 on all OVERLORD planning
               papers that referred to target area and date.
NEW GALAHAD    American long range penetration groups (Burma).
NEW YORK       XVIII Corps (A/B) phase line in Ringenberg-Krudenberg
               area, Germany.
NORDWIND       German offensive against U.S. Seventh Army, January 1945,
OCTAGON        U.S.-British conference at Quebec, September 1944.
OLIVE          Attack on Gothic Line, Italy.
OLYMPIC        Plan for March 1946 invasion of Kyushu, Japan.
OMAHA          Normandy beach assaulted by troops of U.S. V Corps,
               6 June 1944.
OVERLORD       Allied cross-Channel invasion of northwest Europe,
               June 1944.
PANTHER        British 30 Corps drive across the Carigliano, Italy.
PARIS          XVIII Corps (A/B) phase line west of Erle, Germany.
PERSECUTION    Assault force for Aitape operations, New Guinea.
PICCADILY      Drop site for Chindits, Burma.
PIGSTICK       Limited operation on south Mayu Peninsula. Canceled.
PLUNDER        21 Army Group assault across the Rhine north of the Ruhr.
POINTBLANK     Combined bomber offensive against Germany.
PROVIDENCE     Occupation of Buna area, New Guinea, 1942. Canceled.
PUGILIST       Attack on Mareth Line, Tunisia, 1943.
QUADRANT       U.S.-British conference at Quebec, August 1943.
QUEEN          21th Army Group operation on Roer Plain between Wurm and
               Roer Rivers.
RAINCOAT       Assault on Camino hill mass, Italy.
RASHNESS       Revised CARBONADO plan.
RAVENOUS       4 Corps plan for recapture of northern Burma.
RECKLESS       Assault force for Hollandia operation.
RENO           SWPA plans for operations in the Bismarck Archipelago,
               along northern coast of New Guinea and thence to
               Mindanao, P.I.
RO             Japanese air operation to augment Rabaul air forces and
               delay Allied offensives.
ROAST          Operation to clear Comacchio Spit, Italy.
ROGER          Capture of Phuket Island, off Kra Isthmus, Burma.
ROMEO          French commando force that lands at Cap Negre,
               Mediterranean.
ROMULUS        Arakan part of CAPITAL plan.
ROOSTER        Operation to fly Chinese 22d Division to Chihchiang.
ROSE           Ruhr pocket, April 1945.
ROSIE          French naval force that lands southwest of Cannes.
ROUNDUP        Plan for major U.S.-British cross-Channel operation
               in 1943.
RUGBY          Airborne force that drops to rear of southern France
               assault beaches.
SATIN          Plan for U.S. II Corps operation against Sfax, Tunisia.
               Canceled.
SAUCY          Limited offensive to reopen land route from Burma to
               China.
SEA LION       Planned German invasion of United Kingdom. Canceled.
SEXTANT        International conference at Cairo, November and
               December 1943.
SHINGLE        Amphibious operation at Anzio, Italy.
SHO            Japanese plan to counterattack U.S. forces in Western
               Pacific.
SITKA          Force that takes islands of Levant and Port Cros,
               Mediterranean.
SLAPSTICK      Airborne drop at Taranto, Italy.
SLEDGEHAMMER   Plan for limited cross-Channel attack in 1942.
STALEMATE      Invasion of the Palaus.
STRANGLE       Air operation to interdict movement of enemy supplies
               in Italy.
SUPERCHARGE    British 30 Corps breakout, Egypt, 1942.
SUPERCHARGE    Revised plan of assault on Mereth Line, March 1943.
SWORD          Normandy beach assaulted by troops of British 3d
               Division, 6 June 1944.
TALON          Akyab part of CAPITAL plan.
TARZAN         India-based portion of general offensive in Burma.
TED            Task force in Aitape area, New Guinea
TERMINAL       International conference, Potsdam, Germany, 16 July-
               2 August 1945.
THUNDERBOLT    Offensive in Metz area.
TIDALWAVE      Low-level heavy bomber attack on Ploesti, Rumania, 1943.
TIGER          One of the rehearsal exercises for OVERLORD.
TOGO           Second phase of ICHIGO operation.
TORCH          Allied invasion of northwest Africa.
TOREADOR       Airborne assault on Mandalay.
TORNADO        Assault force for Wakde-Sarmi area, New Guinea.
TRADEWIND      Force for Morotai.
TRANSFIGURE    Plan to drop troops west of Seine River to block enemy
               escape routes. Canceled.
TRIDENT        U.S.-British conference held at Washington, May 1943.
TULSA          GHQ SWPA's first outline plan for operations directed at
               the capture of Rabaul.
TWILIGHT       Plan to base B-29's in CBI.
TYPHOON        Task force for Sansapor-Mar operation, New Guinea.
UNDERTONE      U.S. Third and Seventh Army offensive to break through
               West Wall and clear the Saar-Palatinate triangle, within
               the confines of the Rhine, Moselle, and Lauter-Sarre.
UTAH           Normandy beach assaulted by troops of U.S. VII Corps,
               6 June 1944.
VARSITY        Airborne drop cast of the Rhine.
VERTIABLE      Canadian First Army operation to clear area between Maas
               and Rhine Rivers.
VICTOR I       Panay and Negros Occidental operation.
VICTOR II      Cebu, Bohol, and Negros Oriental operation.
VICTOR III     U.S. Eighth Army operations against Palawan.
VICTOR IV      U.S. Eighth Army operations against Sulu Archipelago and
               Zamboanga area of Mindanao.
VICTOR V       U.S. Eighth Army operations against western Mindanao.
VULCAN         Final ground offensive to clear Tunisia, 1943.
WEBFOOT        Rehearsal for SHINGLE.
YOKE           All U.S. organizations working with Y-Force, CBI.
ZEBRA          U.S.-sponsored Chinese division in east China.
ZIPPER         Plan for assault on Malaya, 1945.

Transcribed and edited by:
Larry W. Jewell
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Aug 1993 17:07:51 MDT
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: US Army 1-10 Aug. '43

On 1 August, Larry & Kim Jewell post:

> RUMANIA-Ploesti oil refineries are targets for first low-level,
> mass assault by AAF heavy bombers based in Libya. 177 B-17's,
> some drawn from NAAF and others on loan from Eighth Air Force,
> all under control of Gen Brereton, CG Ninth Air Force, conduct
> the attack for which pilots and crews have been intensively
> trained in N Africa. Oil objectives, although heavily defended,
> are severely damaged. Cost of this operation (TIDALWAVE) is
> high: 54 planes are lost, 41 of them in action. 7 of the B-17's
> land in Turkey.

The planes involved where not B-17's, they were B-24's.  Actually,
the raid had little lasting impact as Ploesti had a lot of surplus
refining capacity.  With in a few months, Ploesti was producing more
oil than before the raid.

Steve Alvin
Dickinson State University
[email-masked]
**********************************************************************
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.--Proverb*
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat my class.-SA*
**********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Aug 1993 18:31:49 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: US Army 1-10 Aug. '43

RE: B-24's vice B-17's.  Typo on my part.  I've corrected the original.
Sorry about that.  Scanning this much material can be a pain sometimes.
Report any other errors as you find them.

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Aug 1993 20:16:14 +0100
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Green Books

>
> > would they be available in my public library,
>
> Public library? Unlikely, unless it is a good big one. They are certainly
> not "rare". University librarys are likely to have them too.

I have seen a fair variety at public libraries, not anything like entire sets
(except at the base Library at Keesler AFB MS) but a fair variety of the more
popular ones are out there. Look in 940.542 (Dewey Decimal)
>
> >and if they were, what would they be called?
>
> Each volume has its own title...they are part of a series, but each is
> a stand-alone work. _Rearming the French_, _Chronology_, _Victory in
> Papua_, etc, etc.
>
> As I said, most of the "green series" volumes are still available
> from the US GPO. The GPO also offers a fair selection of other good
> military history books, and prices are very reasonable (its non-profit;
> prices are merely to covering costs). They are available to anyone by
> mail order or local GPO bookstore, not just US citizens.

I was just at the Laurel Bookstore a couple weeks ago. I was very disapointed.
Breakout & Puursuit, Cross Channel Attack, both of which were in the most
recent available list are out of stock and there is no estimated availability
date. I was told 'When they're gone they're gone' I got the impression that the
GPO is turning into a high volume operation. If a book doesn't sell a lot it
will not be reprinted. I guess they have problems with warehousing also.

I will be going back down there on Thursday I may see if I can get a list of
what is available. The Military History Subject pamphlet was 'being updated'
when I was there last. Maybe the new one will be out.

I did pick up about $100 worth of books The Green book 'Technical Services
Ordinanace Dept Planning & Procurement', Chronology, and 'Pictorial Record
Germany And Adjacent Areas', The Air Force books Combat Units of WW2 and one
on Post War Bombers ( The one on Post War Fighters is out of print aarrgghh!!!)

Let me put in a Plug for the 3 volumns of the Pictorial Record. I find these
books to be great sources. The captions often contain nomenclature of the
equipment pictured and a close examination often reveals lots of details
(Is there a limit on how much can be hung on an M-4 tank?:-))

I think the on on Germany was $18.00, the one for Japan was significantly more
(~28.00) I already had thge on for 'Mediteranian & Adjacant Areas' that I
picked up years ago.

Bob Smart
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Aug 1993 19:57:00 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Green Books

Bob Smart's posting on the availability of the Green Books points out a
common symptom of the GPO.  They're redoing the Dictionary of American
Fighting Ships at the Naval History Institute and have released vol. 1
of the revised edition.  The GPO took the old vol. 1 off the shelf,
despite the fact that the two books don't "overlap".  Thus there will
be gaps in the coverage until the second volume comes out and this will
just move the "gap" farther down the alphabet.

Larry J

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 30 Jul 1993 to 1 Aug 1993
************************************************