Subject: WWII-L Digest - 22 Jul 1993 to 23 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1993 00:00:52 -0400

There are 7 messages totalling 735 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. POL: KOHL VERSUS MITTERAND
  2. USAAF 23 JUL 43
  3. BIO: Douglas MacArthur
  4. BIO: George Marshall
  5. BIO: Omar Bradley
  6. USAAF 24-25 JUL 43
  7. Ref: Holocaust atlas

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Jul 1993 11:11:34 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: POL: KOHL VERSUS MITTERAND

ROBERT GRANVIN SAID:

For the sake of everyone who served and the inpact WWII had on the world
to date and in the future, I hope that WWII never "fades into the
background."  It is important to keep the knowledge, memories, histories
and lessons alive.  The horrors of WWII today are opening up a highschool
text book and see this huge event reduced to a single chapter.

Ironically, Hitler tried to create a Thousand Year Reich.  The effects of
that attempt will probably still be felt in some manner a thousand years
from now.  One of the biggest, most costly alteration in world politics,
borders and directions has to be remembered.

After 1995, however, a lot of the flag-waving, anniversary symposiums,
major recreations, weekly news specials, etc. will be less obvious.  Some
time after that, we can count on nearly every first-hand account being lost
to the ravages of time.

I just hope that the whole experience does not fade away with it...
END QUOTE

I am not talking about what I want to see so much as I what I expect.

While memories of WWII will linger for a long time in Europe, they will
fade more quickly in the US, which was not so directly touched.  For
my generation, WWII was the great event.  For my children's, it was
Viet Nam.  For them, WWII is history, and it is hard to get people
excited about historical events.

Who today suffers because of the Napoleonic wars?  Napoleon, who was
his day's Hitler in the sense he wanted to conquer all of Europe, is
today widely respected.  In France, he is a national hero.

Because of the holocaust, I doubt Hitler will ever become a national
hero.  If he had limited himself to military conquests, I would not
be so sure.  After all, look what happened to Bismarck.

*******************************************************************
* John C. Ausland               Tel: +47 22 14 17 68              *
* Land Productions              Fax: +47 22 16 30 92              *
* Sondreveien 4, Entry 2        CIS: 73240,2704                   *
* 0378 Oslo, Norway             Internet: [email-masked] *
*******************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Jul 1993 07:21:04 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 23 JUL 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 23 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  Beaufighter, Bristol
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (AAF Antisubmarine Command)
    The 23d Antisubmarine Squadron (Heavy), 26th Antisubmarine Wing, which
has been operating from Langley Field, Hampton, Virginia with B-25's,
returns to it's base at Jacksonville Municipal Airport, Florida.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    P-40's escort C-47's to Licata, Sicily. Royal Air Force (RAF) heavy
bombers hit Reggio di Calabria, Italy Airfield.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's, B-25's, and
B-26's bomb Leverano and Crotone, Italy, and Aquino Airfield, Sicily. In
Sicily, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) medium bombers and
fighters bomb and strafe Misterbianco, transport in the Nicosia-Troina-
Randazzo areas, and bridges and landing craft in the coastal area around
Santo Stefano di Camastra and Orlando.
    On the ground in Sicily, the US Seventh Army mops up in W Sicily. The
British Eighth Army's 30 Corps meets firm opposition as it moves E from
Leonforte.
    HQ XII Bomber Command transfers from Constantine, Algeria to Tunis,
Tunisia.
    The 97th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 47th Bombardment Group (Light)
transfers with A-20's from Soliman, Tunisia to Malta.
    A detachment of the 414th Night Fighter Squadron, 2d Air Defense
Wing, based at Rerhaia, Algeria begins operating from Protville, Tunisia
with Beaufighters. The squadron will fly it's first combat mission
tomorrow.
    A detachment of the 415th Night Fighter Squadron, 1st Air Defense
Wing, based at Monastir, Tunisia begins operating from Protville, Tunisia
with Beaufighters.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, B-25's and P-40's, along with US Navy dive
bombers, pound the Rekata Bay area on Santa Isabel Island.
  The 67th Fighter Squadron, 347th Fighter Group, transfers with P-39's
from New Caledonia Island to Woodlark Island off the SE coast of New
Guinea.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-25's, B-26's, B-24's, and B-17's again pound targets
in coastal NE New Guinea, hitting Malolo, Asini, Busama, Voco Point, and
Salamaua, blasting barges from Hanisch Harbor to Wald Bay and Cape
Busching, and thoroughly bomb Bogadjim.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Jul 1993 07:21:11 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: BIO: Douglas MacArthur

(First in the series, since Kim is a die-hard Dougie Mac fan :-).

Douglas MacArthur was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, on 26
January 1880

*** graduated from the United States Military Academy, 1903

*** was commissioned a second lieutenant of engineers and served
in the Philippines, 1903-1904

*** was promoted to first lieutenant, April 1904

*** was an engineer officer and aide to the commander of the
Pacific Division, 1904-1906

*** served with the 2d Engineer Battalion, attended the Engineer
School and was aide to President Theodore Roosevelt, 1906-1908

*** was troop commander, adjutant, and was Army Service Schools
instructor at Fort Leavenworth, 1908-1912

*** was promoted to captain, February 1911

*** was on the General Staff, 1913-1917

*** took part in the Vera Cruz Expedition

*** was promoted to major, December 1915, and colonel, August
1917

*** was chief of staff of the 42d Division in France, 1917-1918

*** was promoted to brigadier general in the National Army, June
1918, took part in Marne operations and commanded the 84th
Infantry Brigade in the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne offensives

*** commanded the 42d Division in the Sedan offensive, 1918

*** served with the Army of Occupation, 1918-1919

*** was superintendent of the United States Military Academy,
1919-1922

*** became a brigadier general in the Regular Army, January,
1920

*** married Louise Cromwell Brooks, 1922 (divorced 1929)

*** was promoted to major general, January 1925

*** successively commanded the District of Manila, 1922-1923,
the Fourth and Third Corps Areas, 1925-1928, and the Ninth Corps
Area, 1930

*** was promoted to temporary general, November 1930

*** was chief of staff of the United States Army, 21 November
1930-1 October 1935; stressed Army deficiencies in personnel and
materiel, presided over development of plans for industrial
mobilization and manpower procurement, established an Air Force
headquarters, administered Army control over the Civilian
Conservation Corps, and supervised eviction of "bonus marchers"
from Washington

*** resumed his permanent rank of major general and became
military adviser to the government of the Philippines, 1935-1941

*** married Jean Marie Faircloth, 1937

*** retired from active service, December 1937 but continued as
adviser to the Philippine government

*** was recalled to active duty as lieutenant general and named
commander, United States Army Forces in the Far East, July 1941

*** was promoted to temporary general, December 1941

*** led American forces in Pacific campaigns as Supreme Allied
Commander, 1941-1945

*** was promoted to temporary General of the Army, December 1944

*** received the Medal of Honor for Philippine defense
preparations and operations

*** was appointed Supreme Allied Commander, Japan, 1945

*** rank as General of the Army made permanent, April 1946

*** was designated commander in chief Far East Command 1947

*** upon the North Korean invasion of South Korea was designated
commander, United Nations Command in the Far East, July, 1950

*** was relieved of his command by President Truman, April 1951

*** died in Washington, D.C., on 5 April 1964.

From: COMMANDING GENERALS AND CHIEFS OF STAFF, 1775-1982,
William Gardner Bell, Center of Military History, United States
Army, Washington, D.C., 1983

Transcribed and edited by:
Larry W. Jewell
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Jul 1993 07:50:44 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: BIO: George Marshall

George Catlett Marshall was born in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, on
31 December 1880

*** graduated from Virginia Military Institute, 1901

*** married Elizabeth Carter Cole, 1902 (deceased 1927)

*** was commissioned a second lieutenant, February 1902, and
served with the 30th Infantry in the Philippines, 1902-1903, and
at Fort Reno, 1903-1906

*** was promoted to first lieutenant, March 1907

*** at Fort Leavenworth, graduated from the Infantry and Cavalry
School (1907) and was a student (1908) and instructor (1908-
1910) at the Staff College

*** was inspector-instructor of the Massachusetts National
Guard, 1911-1912, then served with the 4th Infantry at Forts
Logan H. Roots and Crocket, and the 13th Infantry in the
Philippines, 1913-1916

*** was promoted to captain, July 1917, and then to temporary
major, August 1917, lieutenant colonel, January 1918, and
colonel, August 1918

*** served with the American Expeditionary Forces in France as
operations officer of the 1st Division and the First Army, and
chief of staff of the VIII Corps, 1917-1918, participating in
the Cantigny, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, and Meuse-Argonne
operations

*** was aide to General John J. Pershing, 1919-1924

*** was promoted to permanent major, July 1920, and lieutenant
colonel, August 1923

*** commanded the 15th Infantry in China, 1924-1927

*** was instructor at the Army War College, 1927, and assistant
commandant of the Infantry School at Fort Benning, 1927-1932

*** married Katherine Boyce Tupper Brown, 1930

*** was promoted to colonel and placed in command of the 8th
Infantry at Fort Screven, September 1933

*** was senior instructor of the Illinois National Guard, 1933-
1936

*** was promoted to brigadier general, October 1936, and was
commander of the 5th Infantry Brigade, 1936-1938

*** was head of the War Plans Division, General Staff, 1938

*** was deputy chief of staff, 1938-1939, and acting chief,
July-September 1939

*** was promoted to major general and immediately full general,
September 1939

*** was chief of staff of the United States Army, 1 September
1939-18 November 1945

*** centralized the professional leadership of the Army in the
chief of staff's office

*** exercised control over mobilization, staff planning,
industrial conversion, and personnel requirements

*** streamlined administration and tactical organization

*** mastered grand strategy and was the principal American
military architect of Allied victory

*** was promoted to temporary grade of General of the Army,
December 1944 (made permanent retroactively in April 1946)

*** was special representative of the president to China, 1945-
1947

*** retired from active service February 1947

*** was secretary of state, 21 January 1947-21 January 1949

*** was the architect of the Marshall Plan to aid European
nations, April 1948

*** was restored to the active list, March 1949

*** was president of the American Red Cross, 1949-1950

*** was secretary of defense, 12 September 1950-12 September
1951

*** received the Nobel Peace Prize for the Marshall Plan, 1953

*** was chairman of the American Battle Monuments Commission,
1949-1959

*** died in Washington, D.C., on 16 October 1959.

From: COMMANDING GENERALS AND CHIEFS OF STAFF, 1775-1982,
William Gardner Bell, Center of Military History, United States
Army, Washington, D.C., 1983

Transcribed and edited by:
Larry W. Jewell
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Jul 1993 13:44:17 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: BIO: Omar Bradley

Omar Nelson Bradley was born in Clark, Missouri, on 12
February 1893

*** graduated from the United States Military Academy, 1915,
was commissioned a second lieutenant, and assigned to the
14th Infantry, June 1915

*** married Mary Quayle, 1916 (deceased 1965)

*** performed troop duty in the west, 1915-1919

*** was promoted to first lieutenant, July 1916, to captain,
May 1917, and to temporary major, June 1918

*** was on Reserve Officer Training Corps duty in Minnesota
and South Dakota, 1919-1920

*** was instructor in mathematics at West Point, 1920-1924

*** reverted to grade of captain, 1920 and 1922, and was
returned to major, 1922 and 1924

*** graduated from the advanced course at the Infantry
School at Fort Benning, 1925

*** served in Hawaii with both the 19th and 27th Infantry,
1925-1927, and was in charge of National Guard and Reserve
affairs for the Hawaiian Islands, 1927-1928

*** graduated from the Command and General Staff School at
Fort Leavenworth, 1929

*** was instructor in tactics and weapons at the Infantry
School, 1929-1933

*** graduated from the Army war College, 1934

*** was instructor in tactics and plans and training officer
at the United States Military Academy, 1934-1938

*** was promoted to lieutenant colonel, June 1936

*** was chief of the Operations Branch, G-1, war Department
headquarters, 1938-1940

*** was assistant secretary of the General Staff, 1940-1941

*** was promoted to temporary brigadier general, February
1941

*** was commandant of the Infantry School and set up the
Infantry Officer Candidate Program, 1941-1942

*** was promoted to the temporary ranks of major general,
February 1942, and lieutenant general, June 1943

*** successively commanded the 82d and 28th Infantry
Divisions, 1942-1943

*** was personal representative in the field for the
commander of the North African Theater of Operations, 1943

*** commanded II Corps in operations against Axis forces in
North Africa and Sicily, 1943

*** was promoted to permanent ranks of brigadier general
September 1943 and major general, September 1944

*** commanded the First Army and the 12th Army Group in the
invasion and final campaigns of western Europe, 1944-1945

*** was promoted to temporary general, March 1945, a rank
and date made permanent in January 1949

*** was temporary administrator of veterans affairs, 1945-
1947

*** was chief of staff of the United States Army, 7 February
1948-16 August 1949

*** responded to the National Security Act of 1947 by
initiating a study of Army organization that led to
appointment of a vice chief of staff and two deputies and to
consolidation of technical services under the director of
logistics, administrative services under the director of
personnel and administration and financial and management
functions under the comptroller of the Army

*** was the first chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 16
August 1949-16 August 1953. was promoted to General of the
Army, September 1950

*** was first chairman of the Military Staff Committee of
the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, 1949-1950

*** married Esther Dora Buhler, 1966

*** while attending an Army Association meeting in New York
City, died on 8 April 1981.

From: COMMANDING GENERALS AND CHIEFS OF STAFF, 1775-1982,
William Gardner Bell, Center of Military History, United States
Army, Washington, D.C., 1983

Transcribed and edited by:
Larry W. Jewell
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Jul 1993 16:00:06 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 24-25 JUL 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 24 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-40, Boeing Flying Fortress
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutian Islands, 62 P-40's fly 9 missions to Kiska Island [2
of them with Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) pilots] bombing the runway
and scoring many hits. An AA battery takes a direct hit and explodes. AA
guns are strafed on North Head and Little Kiska Island. Intense AA fire
downs 1 P-40.

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  8 B-24's from Midway Island attack Wake Island, bombing oil storage,
barracks, and a gun emplacement. 20-30 Zekes attack the formation; 9
fighters are claimed destroyed; 1 B-24 is lost in a collision with a
falling Japanese fighter.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Bomber Command Mission Number 75: Three targets in Norway are
attacked. This is Eighth's first mission to Norway and its longest (1,900
miles or 3,040 km round trip) to date.
    1. 179 B-17's and 1 YB-40 are dispatched against the nitrate works at
Heroya, Norway; 167 aircraft hit the target at 1317-1414 hours; they
claim 9-2-0 Luftwaffe aircraft; 1 B-17 is lost and 53 are damaged;
casualties are 3 WIA and 10 MIA. Work at the plant is disrupted for 3.5
months, and unfinished aluminum and magnesium plants are damaged and
subsequently abandoned by the Germans.
    2. 45 B-17's are dispatched against the port area at Trondheim; 41
hit the target; they claim 4-2-3 Luftwaffe aircraft; 1 B-17 is damaged
beyond repair and 9 are damaged; casualties are 3 WIA.
    3. 84 B-17's are dispatched against the port area at Bergen; they
find 10/10 cloud cover and return to base with their bombs.
  Crews successfully experiment with a new assembly procedure for occasions
when bad weather conditions prevent ascent in formation. Aircraft take
off individually on instruments, proceed to a designated splasher beacon
for group formation, and then along line of 3 splasher beacons for force
assembly. The method works well and makes possible many future missions
which might otherwise have been abandoned.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, P-40's fly armored reconnaissance and fighter-bomber
missions over the Adrano and Milazzo areas. The attacks are concentrated
against motor transport targets.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Italy, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's and
B-25's bomb the railroad yards at Bologna and B-26's hit the railroad
yards at Paola. In Sicily, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF)
fighter-bombers hit barges, warships, and docks in the Messina-Milazzo
area and transport NE of Mount Etna.
    On the ground in Sicily, the US Seventh Army continues to mop up the
W part of Sicily. Further E, the US 45th Infantry Division takes Cefalu
and Castelbuono while the US 1st Infantry Division seizes Gangi and heads
toward Nicosia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  On New Georgia Island in the Solomon Islands, 48 fighters join US Navy
and Marine dive bombers in support of ground forces in the Bairoko area.
Later in the day gun positions at Bibolo Hill near Munda are hit, along
with other targets.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  B-25's bomb Lautem, Fuiloro, Koepang, and Tenau on Timor Island, the
airfield and surrounding areas at Lae, New Guinea, and attack barges in
the Wapelik and Cape Busching area of New Britain Island and villages on
the Itni River on New Britain.

SUNDAY, 25 JULY 1943

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  SBD, Douglas Dauntless (USN)
  TBF, Grumman Avenger (USN)
  Zeke, Mitsubishi A6M, Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutian Islands, 40 P-40's fly 7 attack missions [2 by Royal
Canadian Air Force (RCAF) pilots] against Kiska Island, bombing and
strafing North Head AA batteries, the runway, Main Camp, and Little Kiska
Island.
    HQ 343d Fighter Group transfers from Adak Island to Amchitka Island.
    The 406th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 41st Bombardment Group
(Medium), based at Elmendorf Field, Anchorage, Territory of Alaska begins
operating from Adak Island with B-25's.

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (AAF ANTISUBMARINE COMMAND)
    The 15th Antisubmarine Squadron (Heavy), 26th Antisubmarine Wing,
based at Jacksonville Municipal Airport, Florida begins operating from
Batista Field, Cuba with B-24's.

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  The 72d Fighter Squadron, 318th Fighter Group, transfers from Wheeler
Field, Oahu to Hilo Field, Hawaii, Territory of Hawaii with P-39's.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    9 B-25's, escorted by 17 P-40's and P-38's, bomb Hankow Airfield,
China.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Bomber Command Mission Number 76: Three locations in Germany are
targetted; 19 heavy bombers are lost, mostly to effective formation
attacks by German fighters. The raid on Hamburg is part of 6 Combined
Bomber Offensive (CBO) missions against that port city and follows a raid
of the previous night during which nearly 750 Royal Air Force (RAF) heavy
bombers did tremendous damage to the target. The three targets are:
    1. 123 B-17's are dispatched against the diesel engine works at
Hamburg but due to cloud cover, 100 hit the shipyard at 1630-1645 hours;
they claim 38-6-27 Luftwaffe aircraft; 15 B-17's are lost and 67 damaged;
casualties are 1 KIA, 5 WIA and 150 MIA.
    2. 59 B-17's are dispatched against the Kiel Shipyard but return
because of cloud cover.
    3. 141 B-17's are dispatched against the aviation industry at Warnem-
unde; 118 hit the Kiel Shipyard at 1630-1700 hours; they claim 6-0-0
Luftwaffe aircraft; 4 B-17's are lost, 1 is damaged beyond repair and 50
are damaged; casualties are 1 KIA, 3 WIA and 40 MIA.
  VIII Air Support Command Mission Number 3: 18 B-26B's are dispatched
against the coke ovens at Ghent, Belgium; 13 hit the target at 1458
hours; 6 aircraft are damaged.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ITALY
    King Victor Emmanuel III announces the fall of the Benito Mussolini
government. Marshall Pietro Badoglio becomes premier and takes command of
the Italian army.

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, B-25's bomb docks and shipping at Milazzo; almost 100
P-40's strafe and bomb Milazzo, Taormina, and Catania harbor. Other
P-40's escort C-47's.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF), medium and
light bombers, and fighters during night and day raids, attack shipping
and docks at Milazzo and in the Santo Stefano di Camastra-Orlando area,
and hit roads and motor transport, bridges and armor concentration in the
Orlando-Adrano-Troina-Nicosia areas.
   On the ground in Sicily, the US Seventh Army makes slow progress along
the N coastal road, while the British Eighth Army's 30 Corps takes part
in hard fighting in the Agira area.
    HQ 1st Air Defense Wing transfers from Sousse, Tunisia to Palermo,
Sicily. This unit will be redesignated the 62d Fighter Wing on 7 Aug 43.
    HQ 14th Fighter Group transfers from El Bathan, Tunisia to Ste-Marie-
du-Zit, Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, Lieutenant General Nathan F Twining, USAAF,
becomes Commander Air Solomons (COMAIRSOLS). Fighter Command and Bomber
Command, Solomons, are taken over by Brigadier General Dean C Strother
USAAF, and Colonel William A Matheny, USAAF, respectively; Strother
retains his position as Commanding General XIII Fighter Command.
  The Japanese try to hit US forces on Rendova Island but Allied fighters
shoot down several Zekes (8 claimed) and force the enemy bombers to drop
their bombs indiscriminately. On New Georgia Island, the final push on
the Japanese base at Munda opens with a bombardment by 7 destroyers and
the heaviest air attack in the South Pacific (SOPAC) Theater to date;
170+ B-24's, B-25's, B-17's, TBF's, and SBD's, covered by 70+ fighters,
pound the target thoroughly, dropping more than 145 tons of bombs in
little more than a half hour; later in the afternoon 10 more B-24's, with
fighter cover, bomb Bibolo Hill, and SBD's and TBF's dive-bomb gun
positions; and later in the day, gun positions NE of Kindu Village are
hit. The 43d and 37th Infantry Divisions open the ground assault against
the firmly entrenched enemy.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  Single B-24's attack a large transport vessel WNW of Buka Passage in
the Solomon Islands and bomb Lingat and Adaoet Islands in the Moluccas
Islands, and the area near Finschhafen, New Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Jul 1993 16:23:47 EDT
From:    Michael Cotter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ref: Holocaust atlas

Just received in our library:

Martin Gilbert, Atlas of the Holocaust, completely revised and updated.
NY: William Morrow, 1993. 282 pp.  $20.00  ISBM 0-688-12364-3

Several hundred maps of Europe that show the towns and cities of Jewish
settlement and the number in each locale; chronological arrangement of how
the Holocaust evolved and the deportations     from each locale; murders
in each locale and concentration camps; routes of deportations; etc.   Maps
indicate Europe as a whole as well as very specific areas in which specific
atrocities occurred and number of people killed.  A few maps also show
deportations and murders of homosexuals, Jehovah's Witnesses, gypsies, etc.

Michael Cotter
Documents Librarian
Joyner Library
East Carolina University
Greenville NC 27858
919/757-6533

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 22 Jul 1993 to 23 Jul 1993
*************************************************