Subject: WWII-L Digest - 29 Jul 1993 to 30 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1993 00:00:26 -0400

There are 12 messages totalling 606 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 30 JUL 43
  2. GEN: Stars and Stipes
  3. VET:Ethnic/Minority
  4. Need help finding regiment history
  5. Battalions (2)
  6. GREEN BOOKS
  7. MEDIA: PREPARATIONS FOR 1994
  8. GEN: WHERE TO ARCHIVE PAPERS?
  9. USAAF 28 JUL 43
 10. USAAF 31 JUL-1 AUG 43
 11. The Ploesti, Rumania Raid

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 07:13:11 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 30 JUL 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 30 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F4U, Vought Corsair (USN)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    15 P-40's over the Hengyang, China area make contact with 39 Japanese
fighters and 24 bombers. In the ensuing battle, 3 bombers and 2 fighters
are downed; 2 P-40's are lost.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Bomber Command Mission Number 80: The aviation industry at Kassel,
Germany is targetted for today:
    1. 119 B-17's are dispatched to the Bettenhausen Fieseler Works; 94
hit the target at 0910-0917 hours; they claim 40-7-29 Luftwaffe aircraft;
6 B-17's are lost, 5 are damaged beyond repair and 64 are damaged;
casualties are 11 KIA, 10 WIA and 52 MIA.
    2. 67 B-17's are dispatched to the Waldau Fieseler Works; 40 hit the
target at 0925-0928 hours; they claim 8-6-3 Luftwaffe aircraft; 6 B-17's
are lost and 18 are damaged; casualties are 1 WIA and 45 MIA.
  107 P-47's with auxiliary tanks escort these raids and they surprise the
attacking Luftwaffe fighters over Bocholt, Germany as the enemy is not yet
accustomed to fighter escort penetration beyond the coastal fringe. They
claim 25-4-8 Luftwaffe aircraft; 7 P-47's are lost and 1 is damaged beyond
repair; casualties are 6 MIA.
  VIII Air Support Command Mission Numbers 10A and 10B: 2 airfields are
targetted:
    1. 24 B-26B's are dispatched to the Woensdrecht Airfield, The Nether-
lands; 11 hit the target at 0657 hours; 1 B-26 is lost, 1 is damaged
beyond repair and 5 are damaged; casualties are 7 WIA and 6 MIA.
    2. 24 B-26B's are dispatched to the Courtrai/Wevelghem Airfield,
France but the mission is recalled because the escorting fighters are fog
bound on the ground.
  In the 2 B-26 missions, the B-26 crews claim 6-5-1 Luftwaffe aircraft.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, 100+ P-40's attack shipping at Milazzo, Messina, and
Riposto, and hit targets in the battle area.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Italy, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's bomb
Grottaglie Airfield and B-25's hit the airfield at Pratica di Mare. In
Sicily, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) A-20's bomb Milazzo
and hit gun positions N and E of Centuripe and fighters hit shipping off
Milazzo.
    On the ground in Sicily, the enemy evacuates Santo Stefano Quisquina,
with a rear guard action. The British take Catenanuova and push on to the
NE.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, 9 B-24's, with an escort of 16 P-38's and P-40's
and 40+ US Navy F4U's, pound the airfield on Ballale Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-24's bomb Salamaua and Kela; B-25's hit barges off Huon
Peninsula and villages in the Finschhafen area; and A-20's destroy several
barges at Hanisch Harbor and Langemak Bay. Single B-24's bomb Cape Glouce-
ster on New Britain Island and Unea Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 13:52:51 +0100
From:    Richard Cummings <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Stars and Stipes

For those on the list who might remember the newspaper Stars
and Stripes, here are some passages from a AP report:

By KEVIN COSTELLOE= Associated Press Writer= BERLIN, july 29 (AP)
- The European edition of Stars and Stripes, the U.S. soldiers'
daily newspaper for more than a half-century, said Thursday it is
in serious financial shape but confident of staying in business.

Born in 1942 in London as Nazi bombs rained down on the city, the
lively tabloid - 50 cents a copy - is a staple of military life
in Germany, Britain, Italy and other countries.

As revenues get tighter with troop cutbacks, the GIs' companion
is running into money woes.

--==oo00oo==--
[email-masked]
RFE/RL Inc
Munich,Germany

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 06:58:54 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: VET:Ethnic/Minority

Hi, you might want to post your request to

[email-masked]

which will mail to the veterans news group on Internet.  If you don't
get the news group, be sure to specify such to avoid "lost replies."
Soc.veterans has an estimated world-wide readership of 17,000 so you
will be casting your net much wider with this method.

Write back if you need more information.
(Write directly to me, please, since your mail bounces from this site
to the address shown in your post.)

Larry J

#L.W. Jewell WWII-L Listowner [email-masked]
#"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
#"Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41  #

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 08:21:03 -0600
From:    RJD <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Need help finding regiment history

>>From what I have read in books, I see no mention of the 253rd
>>Infantry Regiment along with the 101st Airborne.

>Has any one answered this yet? The 82nd and 101st Airborne
>regiments, certainly on D-Day, were consecutive numbers starting
>with 501, ie: there was 501, 502, 503, etc up to about 507. I'm
>certain that the  253rd INF regt would have nothing to do with
>them.

Prior to D-Day, three new American parachute regiments arrived in
the ETO from the US: the 507 and 508, organized as the Second
Parachute Brigade, and the independent 501. In response to Matthew
Ridgway's efforts to increase the strength of the American
airborne, the three new regiments were temporarily assigned to the
101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions. The 501 was assigned to the
101st, joining the 502 and 506 (also temporary) Parachute
Regiments. The 507 and 508 were assigned to the 82nd, joining the
505th Parachute Regiment. The American parachute infantry regiments
making the jump into Normandy on 6 June were therefore the 501,
502, 505, 506, 507, and 508.

Source: Clay Blair, "Ridgway's Paratroopers: the American Airborne
in World War II", Dial Press, Garden City, New York (1985).

While on the subject of airborne, there is a new book out about the
517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team called "The Battling
Buzzards: etc.". Has anyone read it or encountered any reviews?

Bob

Robert J. Doyle, Jr.
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington, DC
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 10:12:00 -0400
From:    Kevin Kamphaus <[email-masked]>
Subject: Battalions

In looking through some pictures my dad sent home, he commented on the back of
one of the pictures that it was his battalion crossing the Rhine and it
consisted of 125 trucks. He was in the 926th Signal Battalion. Would it be
normal for a Signal Battalion to stay together like that and what would it
consist of? I would think a Signal Battalion would piece out as needed to
support the infantry etc. I am still trying to find info on the 926th.

Thanks,
Kevin Kamphaus
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 17:53:58 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GREEN BOOKS

  Oslo, July 30.  Anyone interested in the Green Books should get
the READER'S GUIDE: UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II, from the
GPO.  It costs only $10 and summarizes the books in the series.
ISBN: 0-16-037817-6.
  Write to Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC 20402.  You will get instructions on price, including
shipping, and how to pay.
  Not all volumes are still available at the GPO.
*******************************************************************
* John C. Ausland               Tel: +47 22 14 17 68              *
* Land Productions              Fax: +47 22 16 30 92              *
* Sondreveien 4, Entry 2        CIS: 73240,2704                   *
* 0378 Oslo, Norway             Internet: [email-masked] *
*******************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 17:54:14 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA: PREPARATIONS FOR 1994

  Oslo, July 30.  While I was in Washington, DC for the reunion of the
4th Infantry Division Association, I was in contact with a couple of
organization makes films for the D-Day anniversary next year.
  Guggenheim Productions is making a 50 minute film for use at the
Eisenhower Center in New Orleans, which will be shown on PBS.  The
film will cover the build up in England and D-Day.  Charles Guggenheim
is interviewing some 50 veterans of that period.  Rather than narration,
their voices will be used to explain what the viewer is seeing.
Mr. Guggenheim is a clever interview, and mine lasted over an hour.
  Koch TV Productions is producing a two hour film for the Discovery
Channel.  It is not clear yet what shape this will take, but they
are planning to use excerpts from my book LETTERS HOME: A WAR MEMOIR.
  There must be a number of other such efforts under way.  If anyone
knows about them, I would appreciate being informed.
  Regards, John Ausland
*******************************************************************
* John C. Ausland               Tel: +47 22 14 17 68              *
* Land Productions              Fax: +47 22 16 30 92              *
* Sondreveien 4, Entry 2        CIS: 73240,2704                   *
* 0378 Oslo, Norway             Internet: [email-masked] *
*******************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 17:55:07 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: WHERE TO ARCHIVE PAPERS?

  Oslo, July 30.  Having finished my book LETTERS HOME, I would now
like to see my letters stored where they will be cared for and made
available to researchers.  The US Army Military Institute at Carlisle
Barracks has offered to act as a repository.  Does anyone see anything
wrong with this?  Can you suggest a better solution?
  Regards, John Ausland
*******************************************************************
* John C. Ausland               Tel: +47 22 14 17 68              *
* Land Productions              Fax: +47 22 16 30 92              *
* Sondreveien 4, Entry 2        CIS: 73240,2704                   *
* 0378 Oslo, Norway             Internet: [email-masked] *
*******************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 12:10:55 EDT
From:    Lowe Barrett MAJ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battalions

>In looking through some pictures my dad sent home, he commented on the back of
>one of the pictures that it was his battalion crossing the Rhine and it
>consisted of 125 trucks. He was in the 926th Signal Battalion. Would it be
>normal for a Signal Battalion to stay together like that and what would it
>consist of? I would think a Signal Battalion would piece out as needed to
>support the infantry etc. I am still trying to find info on the 926th.
>
>Thanks,
>Kevin Kamphaus
>[email-masked]
>[email-masked]
>

Kevin,

In a WW2 Infantry Division, there was a signal company assigned at division
level to handle the DIV CDR's and staff's needs.  The infantry regiments had
a signal platoon in each line battalion and in the headquarters company for
the regiment.

So, the 926th Signal Battalion may have done some other type of support
at corps level or above.  I will check Stanton's US Army ORder of Battle
to see what I can find on the 926th (give me a day or so.)

Bear

Barrett F. Lowe                    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
MAJ, IN
Dept of Physics, US Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 12:48:23 -0700
From:    Julian E Gomez <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF 28 JUL 43

>   STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
>     VIII Bomber Command Mission Number 78: The aviation industry in
> Germany is targetted but bad weather hampers the raids. The targets are:
>       1. 182 B-17's are dispatched against the Fieseler Works at Kassel,
> Germany; 58 hit the target at 1027-1054 hours; they claim 27-15-22
> Luftwaffe aircraft; 7 B-17's are lost, 4 are damaged beyond repair and 54
> damaged; casualties are 15 WIA and 71 MIA.

What happens to the aircraft that are dispatched but aren't listed as
hitting the target? For example, in this raid only a third of the
dispatched bombers hit the target; what happened to the rest?

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 15:54:43 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 31 JUL-1 AUG 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 31 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  The 78th Fighter Squadron, 15th Fighter Group, transfers from Barking
Sands, Oahu to Haleiwa Field, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii with P-40's.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    9 B-24's mine the Rangoon River in Burma during the night of 31 Jul/1
Aug.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    HQ 402d Bombardment Group (Medium) is disbanded at Kunming, China.
This group, which had been activated in China on 19 May 43, never had any
squadrons assigned nor was it fully manned.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Air Support Command Missions Number 11A, 11B, 11C and 11D: The
targets are 4 airfields in France:
    1. 21 B-26B's are dispatched against Merville Airfield; 20 hit the
target at 1120 hours; 2 B-26's are damaged.
    2. 21 B-26B's are dispatched against Poix/Nord Airfield; 19 hit the
target at 1122 hours; 1 B-26 is lost and 5 ared damaged; casualties are 7
MIA.
    3. 21 B-26B's are dispatched against Abbeville/Drucat Airfield and all
hit the target at 1617 hours.
    4;. 21 B-26B's are dispatched against Tricqueville Airfield; 18 hit
the target at 1623 ours; they claim 0-1-0 Luftwaffe aircraft; 5 B-26's are
damaged.
  Lille and Amiens, France are bombed by Royal Air Force (RAF) bombers,
also fighter-escorted, in conjunction with US raids.
  HQ 392d Bombardment Group (Heavy) and it's 576th Bombardment Squadron
(Heavy) arrive at Wendling, England from the US with B-24's. They will
fly their first combat mission on 6 Sep 43 and remain at this station
until Jun 45.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    P-40's fly escort missions and hit shipping in the Milazzo, Sicily
area.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-26's bomb
Adrano; Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) fighters, light and
medium bombers hit Paterno, Santa Maria di Licondia and Centuripe, the
general area around Paterno, and vessels in the Milazzo-Orlando area.
    On the ground in Sicily, US ground forces prepare to attack E along
the coast, and further inland press toward Troina. The British, to the
S, are fiercely opposed W of Regalbuto.
    HQ 42d Bombardment Wing (Medium) is transferred without personnel and
equipment from the US to North Africa. Groups will be assigned in Aug 43.
    HQ 2d Bombardment Group (Heavy) and it's 20th Bombardment Squadron
(Heavy) transfer with B-17's from Ain M'lila, Algeria to Massicault,
Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  On New Georgia Island in the Solomon Islands, 17 P-40's and P-39's join
90+ US Navy and Marine Corps aircraft in pounding guns and defensive
positions on Bibolo Hill as Allied ground forces close in on airfield at
Munda. B-17's, B-25's, P-40's, and US Navy aircraft attack the airfield
at Vila on Kolombangara Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-25's hit the Finschhafen area and barges at Hanisch
Harbor and Mange. B-25's and A-20's blast several barges in the Cape
Gloucester area of New Britain Island. B-24's bomb Waingapoe on Sumba
Island in the Sunda Islands.
  HQ 375th Troop Carrier Group transfers from Brisbane, Queensland,
Australia to Port Moresby, New Guinea.

SUNDAY, 1 AUGUST 1943

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  Beaufighter, Bristol (RAF)
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutian Islands, 7 B-24's bomb the Main Camp area on Kiska
Island through the overcast.

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force)
    During the month of Aug, the detachment of the 417th Bombardment
Squadron (Medium), 25th Bombardment Group (Medium), that has been operating
from Camaguey, Cuba with B-25's since 13 Apr 42, returns to it's base at
Losey Field, Puerto Rico.
    HQ 25th Bombardment Group (Medium) transfers from Edinburgh Field,
Trinidad to Ft Amsterdam, Curacao.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    8 B-25's hit the E approach of the road bridge at Shweli, Burma,
damaging cable anchorages and pylons but leaving the bridge usable.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
    The 577th, 578th and 579th Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 392d
Bombardment Group (Heavy) arrive at Wendling, England from the US with
B-24's. The squadrons will fly their first mission on 6 Sep 43 and remain
at this station until Jun 45.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Rumania, 177 B-24's, of the IX Bomber Command (including B-24's on
loan from the Eighth Air Force) are dispatched to bomb oil refineries at
Ploesti and nearby Campina. The operation (TIDALWAVE) is costly, 54 planes
and 532 airmen are lost, but damage to the targets is severe. 5 Medal of
Honors are awarded for this mission.
    In Sicily, 230+ P-40's, the largest Ninth Air Force total to date,
attack Adrano, the area near Randazzo, Messina, Milazzo, Taormina, and
shipping in the Straits of Messina.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    During the night of 31 Jul/l Aug Northwest African Strategic Air Force
(NASAF) Wellingtons drop leaflets on Rome and Naples, Italy, and bomb
Randazzo and Adrano, Sicily. During the following day, B-17's bomb
Capodichino Airfield, Italy, and B-25's hit Milazzo, Sicily. In Sicily,
Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) light and medium bombers hit
Paterno, Randazzo, Adrano, Bronte, Santa Maria di Licondia, and motor
transport in the Orlandoarea area. Northwest African Coastal Air Force
(NACAF) Beaufighters score hits on shipping between Sardinia and Italy.
    On the ground in Sicily, US ground forces advance E along the coast,
approach Troina further inland, and begin a movement to flank defenses. The
British, to the S, penetrate into Regalbuto.
    During the month of August, the 3d Air Defense Wing (64th Fighter Wing
effective 7 Aug 43) transfers from Licata, Sicily to Gela, Sicily.
    HQ 97th Bombardment Group (Heavy) transfers from Chateau-dun-du-Rhumel,
Algeria to Pont-du-Fahs, Tunisia.
    The 2d, 4th and 5th Fighter Squadrons, 52d Fighter Group transfer from
La Sebala, Tunisia to Boccadifalco, Sicily with Spitfires.
    The 307th Fighter Squadron, 31st Fighter Group, transfers from Palermo,
Sicily to Termini, Sicily with Spitfires.
    The 429th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 2d Bombardment Group (Heavy),
transfers from Ain M'lila, Algeria to Massicault, Tunisia with B-17's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, P-40's and US Navy aircraft again hit Munda on
New Georgia Island bombing AA positions, ammunition dumps, and other
targets. 21 B-24's, 16 P-38's, and P-40's, and 30+ US Navy airplanes pound
Kahili Airfield on Bougainville Island; other P-40's and 80+ Navy aircraft
hit shipping in nearby waters.
  The 64th Troop Carrier Squadron, 403d Troop Carrier Group, arrives at
Tontouta, New Caledonia Island from the US with C-47's and begins flying
missions on 7 Aug 43.
  The 371st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 307th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
ceases operating from Funafuti Island in the Ellice Islands with B-24's and
returns to it's base on Espiritu Santo Island, New Hebrides Islands for
R&R.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  A lone B-24 bombs the airfield at Lae, New Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1993 15:54:44 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: The Ploesti, Rumania Raid

The following is from the Air Force New Service (AFNS)

TIDALWAVE:  THE PLOESTI RAID OF 1 AUGUST 1943
BY DR. DANIEL L. HAULMAN
AIR FORCE HISTORICAL RESEARCH AGENCY, MAXWELL AFB, ALA.
     During 1943, Adolf Hitler dominated Europe with a military machine
that drank a sea of oil.  A third of that oil came from refineries in the
Ploesti area of southeastern Rumania.  If the Allies could shut down those
refineries, they could shorten the war.
     Because Ploesti was too far to be bombed from England, the Army Air
Forces planned a massive low-level surprise raid from Libya.  Code named
TIDALWAVE, it involved five B-24 groups, two from the Ninth Air Force and
three from the Eighth.  Mechanics installed extra fuel tanks in the
Liberators for the 2,500-mile (4,000-km) mission.  On 1 Aug 43, 177 B-24s
launched from Benghazi.
     The operation did not go according to the meticulous plan of Colonel
Jacob E. Smart.  A "don't shoot" radio message to Allied naval units in the
Mediterranean sacrificed to German intelligence the element of surprise.
In clouds over the Balkans, the formations became separated.  The two lead
groups turned over the wrong town and headed toward Bucharest, headquarters
of the Rumanian air defenses.  Realizing their mistake, they attempted to
strike Ploesti from another direction.  Facing a gauntlet of flak and
enemy fighters, they bombed some of the enemy refineries reserved for
other groups.  When the three other groups arrived over their targets, they
faced the additional hazards of huge oil fires and heavy black smoke that
obscured tall chimneys and barrage balloon cables.
     Delayed-fuse bomb explosions complicated the danger.  Catastrophic
losses ensued.  Fifty-four of the bombers went down, with 532 of the 1,726
(30.8%) air crewmembers.  Only 92 (60%) of the Liberators returned to
Libya, although some of the others made safe landings in Malta, Sicily,
Cyprus and Turkey.
     Was the cost justified?  TIDALWAVE destroyed 42% of Ploesti's
refining capacity.  Of the eight refineries targeted, one never reopened,
one remained shut down for four months, and one was out of action for a
year.  In July 1943, Ploesti's refineries had produced 403,000 tons.  But
because of Ploesti's excess refining capacity, the blow had little lasting
effect.  In September, 1943, the refineries produced 413,000 metric tons
of oil, even more than they had produced the month before the attack.
There were no follow-up attacks, and most of the damage was repaired in a
few months.  Allied bombers did not return to Ploesti until April 1944.
     TIDALWAVE furnished the Allies with important lessons about navigation
and the need for fighter escort which were applied in more successful raids
to follow.  The Army Air Forces launched no other low-level mass
bombardment raids in Europe during World War II.  The 1 Aug 43, operation
also created heroes.  All five of the bombardment groups earned
Distinguished Unit Citations, and five of the flyers earned the Medal of
Honor, three posthumously.  (AFNS Features.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 29 Jul 1993 to 30 Jul 1993
*************************************************