Subject: WWII-L Digest - 3 Jul 1993 to 5 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1993 00:00:40 -0400

There are 2 messages totalling 952 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INF: July, 1943, US Army Chronology
  2. REF: "goums"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Jul 1993 17:18:49 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: July, 1943, US Army Chronology

Let me know if anyone gets this truncated and I'll send the missing pieces
along.
Larry J

From: UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II, Special Studies:
CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945, compiled by Mary H. Williams, Office of
the Chief of Military History, Department of the Army,
Washington, D.C., 1960

1 July

SOLOMON IS.-43d Div troops on Rendova consolidate beachhead and
continue search for enemy. On New Georgia I., Marines of 4th
Raider Bn seize Viru Harbor in double envelopment maneuver.

NEW GUINEA-Allied troops are consolidating positions along S arm
of Bitoi R in Nassau Bay area.

CHINA-Gen Chennault designates shipping and port installations
as primary targets for Fourteenth Air Force.

2 July

SOLOMOS IS.-43d Div is ordered to proceed with next task in
central Solomons-capture of Munda airfield-and begins movement
of assault force from Rendova to New Georgia. Enemy bombers make
destructive raid on Rendova; subsequent air attacks are much
less effective. Japanese warships shell Rendova, night 2-3.

TROBRIAND IS.-Work is begun on airfield at Woodlark I.

NEW GUINEA-MacKechnie Force holds firm beachhead at Nassau Bay.
Contact is made with Aus 3d Div.

MEDITERRANEAN-Sicilian and Italian ports continue to receive
full attention of NAAF, which, during period 12 June-2 July,
drops 2,276 tons of bombs. Malta-based and Gozo-based fighters
contribute cover and escort. Final phase of pre-HUSKY air
offensive, beginning at this time, is directed toward knocking
out enemy planes and wrecking airfields.

U.K.-Air Marshal Leigh-Mallory establishes air staff at Norfolk
House.

 3 July

SOLOMON IS.-Southern Landing Group (Brig Gen Leonard F. Wing)
of Gen Hester's Munda-Bairoko Occupation Force lands 1st Bn of
172d Inf, 43d Div, on Zanana beach, about 5 air miles E of
Munda, New Georgia I., without opposition. Small defense
perimeter of 1st Bn is gradually strengthened during next few-
days. Wickham Anchorage on Vangunu I., which is to become
staging point for landing craft, falls into American hands.

4 July

SOLOMOS IS.-Co B, 103d Inf, arrives at Viru Harbor and relieves
Marines of 4th Raider Bn. From Zanana, 1st Bn of 172d Inf and Co
A of 169th virtually unopposed move W to Barike R, line of
departure for assault on Munda. As transports carrying Northern
Landing Group (Lt Col Harry B. Liversedge, USMC) of Gen Hester's
Munda-Bairoko Occupation Force proceed toward Rice Anchorage,
night 4-5, accompanying warships bombard Vila and Bairoko Harbor
and intercept Japanese DD's bringing reinforcements to
Kolombangara from the Shortlands. In the ensuing action, USS
STRONG is lost to enemy torpedo, but Japanese effort to land
troops is blocked.

CRETE-Br commandos successfully raid enemy airfields during
night and withdraw safely.

MEDITERRANEAN-Gen Wladislaw Sikorski, CinC of Polish forces, is
killed in plane crash near Gibraltar.

5 July

U.S.-President Roosevelt proposes to Chiang Kai-shek that Maj
Gen George E. Stratemeyer coordinate air forces matters in
India-Burma sector.

SOLOMOS IS -Gen Harmon recommends to Adm Halsey that XIV Corps
staff prepare to take over on New Georgia and free Gen Hester
for operations against Kolombangara. Almost all the New Georgia
Occupation Force is now ashore in central Solomons, main body at
Rendova. Northern Landing Group-consisting of 1st Raider Bn of
1st Mar Raider Regt, reinf by 3d Bns of 148th and 145th Regts,
37th Div-lands without opposition at Rice Anchorage, beginning
at 0130. Leaving elements of 3d Bn, 145th Inf, to defend landing
site, Col Liversedge's force starts S toward Dragon's Peninsula,
between Enogai Inlet and Bairoko Harbor, forward elements
reaching Giza Giza R. Patrol of Southern Landing Group finds
Japanese force blocking Munda Trail between Zanana and Barike R.

BATTLE OF KULA GULF-U.S. naval surface force engages enemy
vessels bringing second echelon of reinforcements to
Kolombangara, night 5-6. Japanese lose 2 DD's and sink USS
HELENA. Force of 850 Japanese succeeds in landing al Vila.

USSR-Germans launch offensive on limited front to reduce Soviet
salient at Kursk, 9th Army pushing S from Orel and 4th Pz Army
and Army Kempf working northward from Belgorod. Limited progress
is made at heavy cost in tanks. By this time, Axis and Soviet
forces have both taken advantage of spring thaw to reorganize
and refit troops. Red Army is greatly superior in strength.

6 July

ALEUTIAN IS.-U.S. naval vessels, for the first time in 11
months, bombard Kiska, supplementing intermittent efforts of
aircraft to neutralize the island. Cruiser-DD TF (Rear Adm
Robert C. Giffen) conducts the action and retires safely.

SOLOMON IS.-Heavy bombers begin series of strikes against enemy
airfields on Bougainville, the next objective. Attacks are
gradually increased in strength and frequency and are
supplemented by medium bomber strikes on enemy shipping in the
area. By this time, 43d Div's 172d and 169th Regts are on New
Georgia I. 172d closes along the Barike R and 3d Bn, 169th,
starts toward the river from Zanana. Japanese repulse attacks
against their road- block on Munda Trail. Col Liversedge's force
reaches and crosses Tamakau R.

NEW GUINEA-3d Bn of 162d Inf, part of U.S. 41st Div's Coane
Force, goes ashore at Nassau beach- head and begins period of
active patrolling. 2d Bn, 162d Inf, takes over positions vacated
by 3d Bn at Morobe.

CHINA-Fourteenth Air Force begins anti- shipping operations off
West R estuary.

7 July

U.S.-Gen Giraud arrives in Washington to confer with President
Roosevelt and military leaders.

SOLOMON IS.-First echelon of 145th Inf ( -3d Bn), 37th Div,
sails from Guadalcanal for Rendova. On New Georgia I., 43d Div
continues futile efforts to eliminate roadblock on Munda Trail
between Zanana and the Barike. Continuing S, main body of Col
Liversedge's force reaches Enogai Inlet and encounters enemy
resistance at Trir; 3rd Bn of 148th Inf reaches Munda-Bairoko
Trail.

NEW GUINEA-Allied planes, in direct support of ground
operations, attack Mubo area in force, dropping over 100 tons of
bombs. MacKechnie Force, having pushed inland from beach to
Napier, begins assault on Bitoi Ridge. Aus 2/6th Bn captures
Observation Hill, an important terrain feature a mile W of Mubo.

USSR-Slow enemy advance in Orel sector N of Kursk is brought to
a halt as Red Army opens counterattacks. Limited progress is
being made by S prong of Axis offensive in Belgorod area.

8 July

NEW GEORGIA IS.-43d Div complete reduction of enemy strongpoint
astride Munda Trail; 169th Inf closes along the Barike, from
which Munda will be attacked on 9th. Col Liversedge's 3d Bn,
148th Inf, establishes roadblock on Munda- Bairoko Trail and
remains there. 1st Raider Bn, turning over positions at Triri to
troops of 145th Inf, tries in vain to reach Enogai.

 9 July

SOLOMON IS.-On New Georgia I., 43d Div, with close air, arty,
and naval gunfire support, attacks W across Barike R toward
Munda with 172d Inf on left and 169th on right. 172d gains about
1,100 yards but 169th makes little headway beyond the Barike and
still has elements E of the river. 1st Raider Bn of Col
Liversedge's force again attacks toward Enogai from Triri, using
another route, but is halted by enemy fire near Enogai Pt. Both
sides are moving reinforcements to central Solomons. Second
echelon of 145th Inf ( -3d Bn), 37th Div, sails for Rendova.
Japanese land 1,200 reinforcements from the Shortlands on
Kolombangara.

SICILY-Tremendous preinvasion air offensive against island
results in Allied air superiority, over enemy. As convoys of
Western (U.S., under Vice Adm Henry K. Hewitt) and Eastern (Br,
under Adm Sir Bertram H. Ramsay) Naval Task Forces, with ground
assault forces of Gen Alexander's 15th Army Group embarked,
approach Sicily in preparation for early morning invasion on
10th, Br and U.S. airborne contingents take off from Tunisia and
are dropped on the island during night 9-10. High winds
prevailing in assault area handicap both sea and airborne
forces, but latter surprise enemy and take assigned objectives,
facilitating forward movement of seaborn forces when they
arrive. 1st Air Landing Brig Gp of 1st A/B Div, 13 Corps, Br
Eighth Army, is dropped near Syracuse to hasten capture of that
port. Most of the 130 odd gliders land wide of drop zone and
nearly 50 fall into the sea, but group of 8 officers and 65 men
reaches and holds objective-Ponte Grande bridge. U.S. parachute
task force under Col J. M. Gavin, consisting of 82d A/B Div's
RCT 505 and 3d Bn of 504th Para Regt, is dropped from 226 C-47's
to take high ground near Ponte Olivo airfield, NE of Gela, and
assist seaborne forces of U.S. II Corps, Seventh Army, in
capture of the airfield. Although drops are very widely
scattered over S Sicily, objective is taken. This is the first
major airborne operation to be undertaken by Allied forces in
World War II and consequently becomes subject of intensive
study.

USSR-Red Army opens counterattacks in Obojan region, S of Kursk.
Although vigorous fighting continues N and S of Kursk for some
time, Axis forces are unable to advance.

10 July

KURILE IS.-Paramushiro is bombed for first time, by B-25's from
Attu.

NEW GEORGIA IS.-Maj Gen Oscar W. Griswold, CG XIV Corps, is
ordered to New Georgia. Momentum of 43d Div's westward drive on
Munda slows, particularly on right, where 169th Inf is brought
to a halt at junction of Munda Trail with trail leading to coast
at Laiana. Jungle terrain makes close air support increasingly
difficult as attack progresses and is also slowing road
construction. Liversedge's force clears most of Enogai area but
by now is dependent upon airdrops for food and water.

NEW GUINEA-U.S. forces from Nassau Bay effect junction with Aus
3d Div troops at Buigap Creek, cutting Japanese communications
between Mubo and Salamaua.

SICILY-15th Army Group: Main invasion forces of U.S. Seventh and
Br Eighth Armies, with close support of Royal and U.S. Navies
and Allied aircraft, land on SE coast of Sicily on broad front
from point W of Licata on W to point S of Syracuse on E between
0245 and 0600; establish bridgeheads without serious difficulty.

U.S. Seventh Army, which Gen Patton activates at sea at 0001,
puts 3 assault forces ashore between Licata and Capo Scaramia.
Gen Truscott commands westernmost TF ( 3d Div, CCA of 2d Armd
Div, and 3d Ranger Bn), which lands in Licata area and makes
Licata and its small port. Gen Bradley, U.S. II Corps commander,
commands the other two U.S. assault force. 1st Div ( - RCT 18)
and 1st and 4th Ranger Bns land at Gela. To E, 45th Div goes
ashore near Scoglitti. Both Gela and Scoglitti, as well as
Vittoria, are taken as troops push inland and along coast
against light resistance. U.S. 82d A/B Div parachutists, upon
making contact with 1st Div, come under II Corps command;
elements take Marina di Ragusa. Floating reserve (RCT 18 of 1st
Div, and 2d Armd Div less CCA) is landed during day in region E
of Gela.

Br Eighth Army (Gen Montgomery) lands to E of U.S. II Corps
between Rozzallo and Syracuse. 30 Corps, with 231st Brig on
right, 51st Div in center, and Cdn 1st Div on left, lands on
Pachino peninsula and clears town of Pachino and airfield. 13
Corps, on E flank, employs 5th Div on right and 50th on left.
While 50th takes Avola, 5th makes contact with airborne forces
of Br 1st A/B Div at Ponte Grande and crosses bridge to capture
Syracuse, night 10-11.

11 July

SOLOMON IS.-Adm Halsey selects Gen Vandegrift, commander of I
Mar Amphib Corps, to head ground forces that are to invade
Bougainville, which lies between S Pacific forces and Rabaul.
Gen Griswold arrives at Rendova by air. On New Georgia I.,
supply problem is growing so acute as 43d Div's attack
progresses toward Munda that 172d Inf starts quietly S to anchor
left Bank on coast at Laiana and shorten supply line. Enemy soon
discovers the move. Command of 169th Inf, which is still held up
by opposition from heights dominating Munda- Lambeti trail
junction, passes to Col Temple G. Holland, former commander of
145th Inf. Liversedge's force is mopping up in Enogai area.
Airfield at Segi Pt is ready for limited use by fighters.

SICILY-15th Army Group: U.S. Seventh Army reaches beachhead line
Yellow (Palma di Montechiaro-Campobello-Mazzarino-Caltagirone-
Grammichele) on W Bank, where Gen Truscott's force expands
Licata bridgehead to include Palma di Montechiaro, Naro,
Campobello, and Riesi. II Corps withstands determined, tank-
supported counter-attacks, main force of which hits 1st Div in
Gela area. 45th Div helps repel enemy and takes town of Comiso
and airport and Ragusa. Airdrop of another contingent of 82d A/B
Div (RCT 504) in Gela area proves costly; drops are scattered
and come under both enemy and friendly fire.

In Br Eighth Army area, 30 Corps expands bridge-head to Awola-
Pozzallo road, seizing Pozzallo. 13 Corps makes main effort
northward along coast toward Augusta.

USSR-In region S of Kursk, Axis 4th Pz Army and Army Kempf join
forces in drive toward Prochorovka and make limited progress.

12 July

NEW GEORGIA-172d Inf of 43d Div, now without food and water,
pushes to within 500 yards of Laiana and learns from scouts that
Japanese are firmly entrenched in vicinity of Ilangana. 169th
Inf, up against outer defenses of Munda position, attempts to
advance behind rolling arty barrage but makes little headway.

BATTLE OF KOLOMBANGARA (Second Battle of Kula Gulf)-Allied
surface force under Rear Adm Walden L. Ainsworth engages enemy
force bringing reinforcements to central Solomons, night 12-13;
sinks Japanese cruiser but loses DD GWIN and suffers damage to
other vessels. Despite this action, Japanese land 1,200 men on
Kolombangara.

NEW GUINEA-Allied troops advancing on Mubo reduce several enemy
strongpoints.

CBI-Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek consents to TRIDENT
recommendations concerning limited offensive, now called SAUCY,
to reopen land route from Burma to China.

SICILY-15th Army Group: Bridgeheads are firmly established by
end of day. Br and U.S. forces make contact at Ragusa.

Advance U.S. Seventh Army CP move ashore from USS MONROVIA. Gen
Truscott's force takes Canicatti, important road junction. II
Corps, despite further determined efforts of enemy to push it
back to the sea, expands bridgehead. 1st Div takes Ponte Olivo
airport and pushes inland toward Niscemi. Units of 45th Div in
Ragusa make contact with Cdn 1st Div of Br Eighth Army.

In Br Eighth Army area, 30 Corps, overrunning Madica and
Palazzolo, reaches general line Sortini-Palazzolo-Ragusa-Scicli.
13 Corps, though assisted by air and naval gunfire, is stalled
by stubborn opposition at Priolo Gargallo, about half way
between Syracuse and Augusta.

USSR-Red Army opens strong offensive, supported by concentrated
arty fire, to reduce Axis salient at Orel, concentrating on N
and E flanks. The operation is well timed, coming after enemy
reserves have been committed to the unsuccessful offensive
toward Kursk, which has sharply reduced tank strength. During
fierce battle S of Kursk, in Prochorovka area, Axis loses over
400 tanks in vain effort to advance.

13 July

NEW GEORGIA-Adm Halsey directs Gen Harmon to take command of New
Georgia operation, which is falling behind schedule. 169th Inf
of 43d Div, with air and arty support, drives salient into enemy
positions E of Munda with capture by 3d Bn of hill commanding
Munda Trail. Inability of 1st and 2d Bns to advance, however,
leaves 3d Bn in exposed position. 172d Inf reaches coast at
Laiana.

NEW GUINEA-Mubo area is cleared of enemy. Aus 3d Div, assisted
by fire of Americans, finishes clearing Lababia Ridge.

SICILY-First Allied fighters fly to Sicily to operate from
Pachino field. Enemy planes are no longer able to offer
effective resistance over the island and are reducing their
efforts.

15th Army Group: Gen Alexander establishes new boundary between
Br and U.S. forces, giving Eighth Army road Vizzini-Caltagirone-
Piazza Armerina-Enna-S. Stefano.

U.S. Seventh Army orders Canicatti held while rcn is pushed W to
Agrigento on W, where Gen Truscott's assault force has attained
its immediate objective. In II Corps area, RCT 18 is released to
1st Div, from which 1st and 4th Ranger Bns are detached. 2d Armd
Div ( -CCA) and 1st and 4th Ranger Bns are placed in army
reserve. II Corps continues efforts to close along line Yellow.
45th Div pushes N, taking Licodia and Monterosso.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, 51st Div is slowed by-enemy
near Vizzini. 13 Corps begins offensive, night 13-14, in effort
to break out into Catania plain. Parachutists of 1st Para Brig
are dropped to seize Primasole bridge over Simeto R, the most
suitable exit to Catania plain, and do so. The operation,
however, is costly, since planes come under enemy and friendly
fire. Seaborne commandos are landed and take another bridge in
the area. 5th Div, followed by 50th, makes ground assault from
vicinity of Lentini and is firmly opposed.

14 July

SOLOMON IS.-On New Georgia, 43d Div's left flank is reinf as 3d
Bn of 103d Inf, with engineers and tanks attached, lands at
Laiana. The bn is not committed to action at once, however. 3d
Bn, 169th Inf, holds its exposed hill position under enemy fire.
On Guadalcanal, 25th Div's RCT 161 is alerted for movement to
New Georgia. TROBRIAND IS.-Airfield on Woodlark I. is ready for
use by C-47's.

SICILY-Messina, a primary target for Allied bombers, is
particularly hard hit. 212 heavy and medium bombers drop about
800 tons of bombs.

15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, 82d A/B Div, in army
reserve, is being assembled and reinf in Gela area for
operations on W flank of U.S. sector. 4th Tabor of goums of Fr N
African Army lands at Licata and is attached to 3d Div. In II
Corps area, 1st Div makes substantial progress, taking Mazzarino
and Niscemi. CCB, 2d Armd Div, mops up in Niscemi area. Rangers,
assisted by naval gunfire, seize Butera. On II Corps right
flank, 45th Div takes Biscari airfield and to right reaches line
Yellow near Vizzini.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, 51st Div, assisted by U.S.
45th Div, overcomes strong opposition at Vizzini. In 13 Corps
area, main assault force is stoutly opposed near Lentini but
succeeds in pushing through that town toward Primasole bridge.
Parachute force defending the bridge withstands strong enemy
pressure throughout day and at night falls back to ridge
overlooking the bridge.

ITALY-Air offensive against Italy to interdict movement of
supplies and reinforcements to Sicily is intensified by NAAF,
Naples being a primary target.

15 July

SOLOMON IS.-Gen Griswold, CG XIV Corps, takes command of New
Georgia Occupation Force at midnight 15-16, relieving Gen
Hester, who retains command of 43d Div. Adm Turner is relieved
of posts of Commander, S Pacific Amphib Force (III Amphib Force
and TF 32), and Commander, New Georgia Attack Force (TF 31 ),
and leaves for Hawaii. 1st Bn of 145th Inf, 37th Div, lands at
Zanana and is attached to 43d Div to relieve elements of 169th
Inf. Co of 103d Inf is committed on left flank to plug gap in
line of 172d Inf. In air battle over central Solomons, Japanese
lose 45 of about 75 aircraft as against 3 U.S. planes lost. As a
result, Japanese virtually stop daylight attacks.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, Gen Patton
forms Provisional Corps, comprising 3d Div, reinf by 3d Ranger
Bn and supporting troops, and 82d A/B Div, reinf by newly
arrived RCT 39 of 9th Div and supporting troops, all under
command of Maj Gen Geoffrey Keyes, to operate on W flank of U.S.
Seventh Army as it swings NW. 2d Armd Div, to which CCA reverts,
assembles in Campobello area under army control. 3d Div
continues to patrol actively. II Corps reaches line Yellow all
along its front, 45th Div on right flank co-operating with 30
Corps in vicinity of Caltagirone.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, Cdn 1st Div, taking the lead
from 51st Div, captures Grammichele and Caltagirone. In 13 Corps
area, main assault force makes contact with paratroopers
commanding Primasole bridge; both forces continue efforts to
establish bridgehead over the Simeto.

16 July

NEW GEORGIA-As 172d Inf of 43d Div, assisted by Marine tanks,
slowly expands Laiana beachhead, 1st Bn of 169th Inf attacks
through 3d Bn, taking hill-later called Kelley Hill for 1st Lt
John R. Kelley-where it is exposed to strong enemy pressure.

TROBRIAND IS.-First Allied plane lands on Woodlark airstrip.

SICILY-Enemy air attacks during daylight virtually cease, but
night attacks are increasing.

15th Army Group: Axis troops are withdrawing to Messina
peninsula, at base of which lofty M. Etna commands entire
island. Gen Alexander issues directive calling for Br Eighth
Army to drive enemy NE along 3 routes into Messina peninsula
while U.S. Seventh Army, protecting rear of Br Eighth Army,
seizes road net at Enna and cuts E-W road at Petralia.

In U.S. Seventh Army's Prov Corps area, 3d Div begins assault on
Agrigento while 3d Ranger Bn takes its port, Porto Empedocle. In
II Corps area, 1st Div seizes Barrafranca. 45th Div begins
movement to left flank of corps.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, Cdn 1st Div pushes northward
from Caltagirone, taking Piazza Armerina, night 16-17. To case
pressure on 13 Corps to right, 51st Div is ordered to drive on
Paterno, NW of Catania. 13 Corps establishes small bridgehead
across the Simeto before dawn.

ITALY-Prime Minister Churchill and President Roosevelt make
joint appeal to Italian people to "decide whether Italians shall
die for Mussolini and Hitler-or live for Italy and for
civilization."

USSR-Axis forces go on the defensive, having lost heavily in
futile attempts to reduce Kursk salient and being under strong
pressure in Orel area. Red Army is mounting secondary attacks on
southern front against enemy's Kuban bridgehead, Main Soviet
offensive against Orel salient is gaining ground.

17 July

NEW GEORGIA-43d Div withstands the only organized offensive
attempted by Japanese during Munda operation, beginning night
17-18. The counterattacks at various points are generally
unsuccessful.

NEW GUINEA-From Nassau Bay, Coane Force (2d and 3d Bns of 162d
Inf, U.S. 41st Div, and supporting units) moves out to join Aus
3d Div in drive toward Salamaua. The attack on Salamaua, under
Aus command, is a secondary effort designed to divert enemy from
next main effort, which is to secure Markham Valley and Huon
Peninsula and thus gain control of Vitiaz and Dampier Straits.

MEDITERRANEAN-CCS accept Gen Eisenhower's recommendations of 29
June. At a meeting between Gen Eisenhower and his commanders at
Carthage to consider post-HUSKY operations, it is decided that
the dual mission of knocking Italy out of the war and drawing
off maximum German forces from other areas can best be
accomplished by invasion of Italian mainland.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's Prov Corps area,
3d Div, assisted by naval gunfire, completes reduction of
Agrigento. 82d A/B Div is being moved forward to W flank by
motor.

Going into action on W flank of II Corps, 45th takes
Pietraperzia and secures crossings of Salso R, S of
Caltanissetta, while 1st Div seizes crossings 6 miles E of
Caltanissetta.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, 51st Div drives to within 10
miles of Paterno, crossing Simeto R. 13 Corps expands bridgehead
over the Simeto in coastal sector and during night 17-18 begins
northward drive on Catania with 2 brigs of 50th Div.

USSR-While continuing reduction of Orel salient, Red Army begins
local attacks in region S of Izyum and SW of Voroshilovgrad.
Moscow announces that positions in Orel sector held before
German offensive of 5 July have been recovered.

18 July

NEW GEORGIA-XIV Corps, while preparing for final push on Munda,
repels Japanese counterattacks at several points. 1st and 2d Bns
of 148th Inf, 37th Div, which have landed at Zanana, try
unsuccessfully to reach and relieve 169th Inf, 43d Div.

TROBRIAND IS.-Airfield on Kiriwina I. becomes operational.

NEW GUINEA-Coane Force secures S headland of Tambu Bay for
supply base.

SICILY-15th Army Group: U.S. Seventh Army is directed to cut N
coastal road after capture of Petralia; upon gaining line across
island from Campofelice on N to Agrigento on S, is to mop up W
part of island. Army advances rapidly all along line as enemy
continues withdrawal to NE part of island. Prov Corps pushes NW
toward Palermo, 3d Div, in the lead, reaching line Raffadali-S.
Cataldo. 82d A/B Div, reinf by RCT 39 of 9th Div, begins
operations on W flank of corps; attacking through 3d Div near
Agrigento, seizes crossings of Fiume delle Canno, about 8 miles
W of Porto Empedocle. II Corps drives NW to attack Palermo from
E. 45th Div takes Caltanisseta and pushes on through S Caterina.
1st Div reaches M. Capadarso area, NE of Caltanissetta.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, 51st Div continues toward
Paterno while Cdn 1st Div thrusts toward Leonforte and Adrano.
In 13 Corps area, 5th Div drives toward Misterbianco, W of
Catania, while 50th, on coast, continues efforts to reach
Catania.

19 July

ALEUTIAN IS.-Adm Kinkaid approves plans for invasion of Kiska.

ITALY-Rome undergoes damaging air attack. More than 500 bombers
of USAAF attack military objectives-Lorenzo and Littoria
marshaling yards and Ciampino airfields-with about 1,000 tons of
bombs.

SICILY-15th Army Group: U.S. Seventh Army makes rapid progress
against light resistance. In Prov Corps area, 82d A/B Div,
driving NW along coastal highway, reaches positions beyond
Ribera. Casteltermini and Mussomeli fall to 3d Div. 2d Armd Div
is following in order to exploit possible breakthrough. In II
Corps area, 45th Div patrols actively in S. Caterina area. 1st
Div, advancing on Enna, clears enemy pocket S of objective.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, Cdn 1st Div continues toward
Leonforte, bypassing Enna and reaching positions N of
Valguarnera. 51st Div crosses Dittaino R at Sferro, SW of
Paterno. 231st Brig, bridging gap between Cdn 1st Div and 51st
Div, thrusts to within 3 miles of Agira, where it halts to await
clearance of Leonforte. 13 Corps continues to meet firm
resistance near Catania. 5th Div crosses the Simeto to W of 50th
Div, but its supporting weapons remain S of the river.

20 July

U.S.-JCS direct Adm Nimitz to seize bases in the Gilbert Is. and
on Nauru.

NEW GEORGIA-Elements of 145th Inf, 37th Div, relieve hard-
pressed 169th Inf o/f 43d Div E of Munda. 148th breaks through
enemy positions that have been checking it and prepares to
relieve 145th. Trail from Laiana to Munda Trail is completed,
easing supply situation. Liversedge Force, after futile attempt
to take Bairoko, falls back to Enogai.

NEW GUINEA-U.S. forces begin lengthy struggle for heights
(Roosevelt Ridge, Scout Ridge, and Mt Tambu) commanding Tambu
Bay and Dot Inlet.

CBI-Gen Bissell is recalled to U.S. to become Assistant Chief of
Air Staff, A-2, and is replaced as head of Tenth Air Force by
Brig Gen Howard C. Davidson.

SICILY-15th Army Group: Gen Alexander orders U.S. Seventh Army,
upon reaching coastal road (Highway 113) N of Petralia, to
reconnoiter eastward along it and Highway 120 (Petralia-Nicosia-
Cesaro), which parallels it to S; to drive on Palermo, which is
to be a major supply base; and to secure left flank on general
line S. Giuseppe-Corleone-Sciacca.

In U.S. Seventh Army's Prov Corps area, 82d A/B Div, continuing
W along S coast, takes Sciacca and Menfi. 3d Div clears S.
Stefano and heights N of Mussomeli. 2d Armd Div, assembled in
Ribera area, is attached to Prov Corps. TF X is formed to
capture Castelvetrano and airfield W of it; protect left and
rear of corps' drive on Palermo. Lt Col William O. Darbu heads
the TF, which is composed of 1st and 4th Ranger Bns of RCT 39,
9th Div, and supporting units. In II Corps area, 45th Div
clashes with Italian delaying forces in Vallelunga area. 1st
Div, in conjunction with Br units to right, takes Enna,
important supply center, and drives on to Villapriola.

In Br Eighth Army area, Gen Montgomery orders reserve, 78th Div,
to Sicily from Africa. In 30 Corps area, Cdn 1st Div, pushes to
within a few miles of Leonforte. 51st Div, from Sferro area,
attacks Gerbini airfield. 13 Corps is virtually stopped by firm
resistance on Catania plain.

MEDITERRANEAN-Planning for invasion of Sardinia (BRIMSTONE) is
dropped because of successes in Sicilian campaign. Attention of
planners becomes focused next on Naples because of its harbor
and its proximity to Rome.

USSR-Mitsensk falls to Red Army, whose assault against Orel
salient continues.

21 July

SOLOMON IS.-Small U.S. rcn party lands on Vella Lavella at
Barakoma, night. 21-22; in preparation for full-scale invasion.
U.S. control of Vella Lavella would isolate Japanese at Vila,
Kolombangara. On New Georgia, 148th Inf of 37th Div relieves
145th Inf E of Munda.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's Prov Corps area,
TF X seizes Castelvetrano and airport, and 2d Armd Div assembles
NE of Castelvetrano prepared to exploit breakthrough, which
appears imminent. 82d A/B Div takes S. Margherita and 3d Div
seizes Corleone. In II Corps area, 45th Div continues NW, taking
Valledolmo. 1st Div clears delaying opposition in Alimena.

In Br Eighth Army area, Gen Montgomery decides to make main
effort on left, where assault forces will push around N side of
M. Etna to take enemy from rear, major assault to begin on 1
August. 13 Corps and 51st Div of 30 Corps are to go on the
defensive. In 30 Corps area, Leonforte falls to Cdn 1st Div,
night 21-22. 51st Div falls back under enemy pressure to
positions S of Gerbini airfield.

22 July

ALEUTIAN IS.-In effort to soften Japanese defenses on Kiska,
U.S. warships and aircraft attack the island in force.

NEW GEORGIA-Gen Griswold orders general attack on Munda by 37th
and 43d Divs on 25th. 37th Div commander takes charge of his
forces on the island. RCT 161, 25th Div, arrives and is attached
to 37th Div.

SICILY-15th Army Group: U.S. Seventh Army takes Palermo, on N
coast, virtually completing second phase of operations. Limited
mopping up must be carried out in W part of island before final
phase-drive to E-can start. Prov Corps takes Palermo without a
fight: While TF X thrusts W along coast protecting left and
rear, 2d Armd Div is committed to action and drives rapidly NE
to outskirts of Palermo. At the same time, 3d Div continues NW
to positions SE of the city. Since there is no show of
resistance, planned attack on Palermo is withheld and 2d Armd
Div enters without opposition. City surrenders at 2000. In II
Corps area, left flank elements of 45th Div make contact with 3d
Div in outskirts of Palermo while others push on toward N coast.
1st Div continues N toward coast on right flank of corps, taking
Bompietro.

USSR-Bolkhov, NW of Mitsensk, falls to Red Army. Soviet troops
begin local offensive on northern front S of Lake Ladoga.

23 July

TROBRIAND IS.-67th Fighter Sq arrives on Woodlark to begin
operations from airfield there.

SICILY-15th Army Group: Gen Alexander orders U.S. Seventh Army
to exert maximum pressure eastward along Highways 113 and 120 as
soon as possible, leaving elements behind to complete mop-up of
W part of island. As a result of this order, preparations are
made to reinforce II Corps with 3d and 9th Divs and arty units.

U.S. Seventh Army mops up in W Sicily, taking many prisoners.
Engineers begin to repair badly damaged port of Palermo. In Prov
Corps area, while 3d Div polices Palermo, 82d A/B Div, to which
control of TF X components passes, clears Marsala-Trapani area
of W coast. In II Corps area, 157th Inf of 45th Div cuts Highway
u p, N coastal road, 6 miles E of Termini Imerese; while
elements push W from there to Termini Imerese, rest of regt
drives E along highway to positions beyond Campofelice. 179th
Inf, 45th Div, takes Collesano and advances toward Castelbuono.
1st Div overcomes resistance at Petralia, cutting Highway 120,
and patrols eastward.

In Br Eighth Army area, 30 Corps is meeting strong resistance as
it attempts to drive E from Leonforte.

24 July

NEW GEORGIA-XIV Corps prepares for assault on Munda on 25th.
161st Inf, attached to 37th Div, runs into tenacious opposition
as it tries in vain to reach line of departure.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, Prov Corps
continues to mop up W part of island, taking record number of
prisoners. II Corps pursues enemy eastward, 45th Div in coastal
sector and 1st Div on S flank. 45th Div takes Cefalu and
Castelbuono. 1st Div overruns Gangi and attacks toward Nicosa.

USSR-Red Army has recovered positions in Belgorod area, which
was held by the Russians at start of German offensive on 5 July.

NORWAY-U.S. Eighth Air Force make its first attack on Norway.
167 B-17's drop 414 tons of bombs on industrial targets at
Heroya while 41 release 79 tons on naval installations at
Trondheim: Only 1 plane fails to return. This is the longest
flight yet undertaken by U.S. planes based in England.

25 July

SOLOMON IS.-Gen Twining replaces Rear Adm Marc A. Mitscher as
COMAIRSOLS. Air strength of this command has increased from 235
to 539 planes since 2 April. Since invasion of Rendova on 30
June, Fighter Command alone has destroyed 316 planes for loss of
71. Enemy discontinues daylight air attacks on Rendova.

NEW GEORGIA-XIV Corps opens final offensive for Munda airfield.
Although supported by naval gunfire and powerful air
bombardment, assault troops can make only slow progress against
strongly entrenched enemy. 43d Div, with 103d Inf on left and
172d on right, attacks on left (S) and gets elements to coast
near Terere but withdraws the salient since it is exposed. 37th
Div, with 145th, 161st, and 148th Regts in line from left to
right, cannot begin general advance until opposition on ridge
(called Bartley Ridge in honor of 2d Lt Martin E. Bartley) in
front of 161st Inf is cleared and then starts to envelop enemy
there. 148th advances without serious opposition but is out of
contact with 161st.

ITALY-King Victor Emmanuel proclaims fall of Mussolini, whose
offices are taken over by Marshal Pietro Badoglio; takes command
of Italian Army.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army's II Corps area,
45th Div makes limited progress along N coastal road (Highway
113). 1st Div, on Highway 120, repels counterattack E of Gangi.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, hard fighting is in progress
in Agira sector.

26 July

U.S.-CCS request Gen Eisenhower to plan at once for AVALANCHE,
invasion of Italy at Salerno, in order to gain Naples and nearby
airfields.

ALEUTIAN IS.-Eleventh Air Force makes heaviest attack to date on
Kiska, dropping 104 tons of bombs.

SOLOMON IS.-Adm Halsey proposes to Gen MacArthur that plans for
invasion of S Bougainville mainland be dropped and that the
Shortlands and Ballale, in Bougainville Strait, be secured as
planned in order to provide airfields and anchorages to support
future operations. Gen MacArthur later approves. NEW GEORGIA-43d
and 37th Divs are assisted by tanks and flame throwers as they
continue attack on Munda after preparatory fire. 103d Inf 43d
Div, takes Ilangana and reaches coast at Kia, but 161st Inf, in
37th Div zone, makes little headway against Bartley Ridge.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, Prov Corps
releases RCT 39, 9th Div, 3d Chemical Weapons Bn, and 4th Tabor
of goums to II Corps to strengthen it for eastward drive. II
Corps makes limited progress astride Highways 113 and 120. On
Highway 113, 45th Div reaches road junction N of S. Mauro.

27 July

NEW GEORGIA-37th Div temporarily suspends attack on Bartley
Ridge in center and begins assault on feature to left called
Horseshoe Hill, reducing several pillboxes. 148th Inf gains
tenuous contact with 161st, but gap remains between the 2 regts.

CBI-Chinese-American Composite Wing (CACW) is activated in
Fourteenth Air Force at Karachi, India. The wing consists of Ch
aircraft and pilots trained under lend-lease.

MEDITERRANEAN-AFHQ directs CG; Fifth Army, to prepare plans for
capture of Naples and nearby airfields from which future
operations in Italy could be supported. D Day, which is to
depend upon phase of the moon and availability of landing craft,
is tentatively set as 7 September. Br planners are already
working on plans for Operation BUTTRESS, invasion of toe of
Italy by 10 Corps.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In the coastal sector of the U.S.
Seventh Army's II Corps area, 45th Div's RCT 180 reaches Tusa, a
few miles W of S. Stefano, and elements cross Tusa R but are
driven back; RCT 179 reaches S. Mauro. 1st Div clears several
strongpoints while pushing toward Nicosia along Highway 120; its
left flank is protected by 4th Tabor of goums and its right by
91st Rcn Sq, which also maintains contact with British.

28 July

ALEUTIAN IS.-Japanese garrison of Kiska is withdrawn by sea
without detection by Allied forces, who are continuing
preparations to invade the island.

SOLOMON IS.-U.S. rcn party returns from Vella Lavella and
recommends that an advance detachment be moved to Barakoma in
preparation for main landings.

NEW GEORGIA-Gen Griswold calls for replacements. 43d Div is
creeping forward in small-scale actions. 145th Inf, 37th Div,
continues to clear Horseshoe Hill. 3d Bn, 161st, occupies some
abandoned enemy positions on Bartley Ridge.

SICILY-15th Army Group: Gen Alexander moves his hq to Sicily.

In U.S. Seventh Army area, coastal cargo vessels begin arriving
at Palermo. In II Corps area, 45th Div, recrossing Tusa R,
pushes a little closer to S. Stefano in coastal sector. 1st Div
takes Nicosia.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, Agira falls to left flank
elements of corps.

29 July

NEW GEORGIA-XIV Corps continues to advance slowly toward Munda
airfield, methodically destroying enemy pillboxes with
assistance of tanks and flame throwers. Maj Gen John R. Hodge
takes command of 43d Div, relieving Gen Hester, and commits 1st
and 3d Bns, 169th Inf, between 172d and 103d Regts. In 37th Div
zone, 145th Inf reaches crest of Horseshoe Hill but pulls back a
little to more tenable positions; 161st Inf forces on Bartley
Ridge continue to advance cautiously; 148th pulls back to
establish contact with 161st and protect supply route, but does
not quite succeed in closing the gap and is precariously
situated.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, trains begin
using RR line between Palermo and Cefalu. Prov Corps nearly
completes its mopup task in W Sicily. 3 small islands off
Trapani (Favignana, Marettimo, and Levango) surrender to 82d A/B
Div. In II Corps area, 45th Div meets increasing rear-guard
resistance as it approaches S. Stefano, on N coast road, and
moves elements SE in effort to outflank enemy; other elements
advance to Mistretta, which enemy retains. From Nicosia, 1st Div
probes to outskirts of Mistretta and eastward along Highway 120
toward Cerami without incident; goumiers clear pocket about 3
miles W of Capizzi. RCT 39 is attached to 1st Div.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, recently arrived 78th Div,
now in position to attack and reinf by Cdn 3d Brig, opens
assault along axis Catenanuova-Adrano, night 29-30. In 13 Corps
area, 5th Div is reinf by 2 bns of infantry and regt of tanks.

30 July

NEW GEORGIA-Alteration of boundaries gives 43d Div a wider front
and places S half of Bartley Ridge within zone of 145th Inf,
37th Div. 145th Inf repels counterattack on Horseshoe Hill and
shells enemy positions. 161st is reinf by 2d Bn of 145th and
continues to clear Bartley Ridge. Elements of 148th gain
physical contact with 161st, but main body OF 148th is isolated.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, enemy
continues withdrawal eastward across army front. In II Corps
area, 45th Div is strongly opposed by enemy rear guards in S.
Stefano area during day, but enemy withdraws from the town and
from Reitano, to S, night 31-31. On Highway 120, 1st Div
advances toward Troina, its patrols reaching Cerami. In Br
Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, 78th Div takes Catenanuova in
morning; renews attack, night 30-31, securing heights to N and
NE from which to attack Centuripe. 231st Brig, leading eastward
drive on Regalbuto, is meeting severe resistance near this
objective.

USSR-Enemy attempts to recover ground lost on Mius front but is
unable to retain the initiative.

31 July

NEW GEORGIA-2d Bns of 161st and 145th Regts finish clearing
Bartley Ridge. Enemy continues to resist on Horseshoe Hill.
148th Inf tries to return to main body.

SICILY-15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, Gen Patton
issues directive for major attack eastward toward Messina,
beginning 1 August. II Corps, which is to contain 1st, 3d, and
9th Divs, and supporting units, will make main effort along
Highways 113 and 120 from line S. Stefano-Mistretta-Nicosia.
Prov Corps is to organize W part of Sicily and protect rear of
II Corps; be prepared to furnish reinforcements to II Corps.
Aircraft and naval TF 88 are to support offensive. In Corps
area, 45th Div is being relieved in S. Stefano sector by 3d Div.
On S flank, 1st Div advances to within 5 miles of Troina,
capturing Cerami; 4th Tabor of goums, on div left flank, takes
Capizzi.

In Br Eighth Army's 30 Corps area, 231st Brig is still fiercely
opposed just W of Regalbuto. 78th Div attacks strong enemy
position at Centuripe.

Transcribed and edited by:
Larry W. Jewell
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Jul 1993 17:43:27 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: REF: "goums"?

>From: UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II, Special Studies:
>CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945, compiled by Mary H. Williams, Office of
>the Chief of Military History, Department of the Army,
>Washington, D.C., 1960

>14 July

>SICILY-...

>15th Army Group: In U.S. Seventh Army area, 82d A/B Div, in army
>reserve, is being assembled and reinf in Gela area for
>operations on W flank of U.S. sector. 4th Tabor of goums of Fr N
>African Army lands at Licata and is attached to 3d Div. ...

Anyone have more information on the "goums"?  What kind of unit,
how armed, history?

Larry (just wondering) J

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 3 Jul 1993 to 5 Jul 1993
***********************************************