Subject: WWII-L Digest - 21 Jul 1993 to 22 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1993 00:01:00 -0400

There are 16 messages totalling 528 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 22 JUL 43
  2. LIST (2)
  3. POL: KOHL VERSUS MITTERAND (2)
  4. GEN: 4TH INFANTRY DIVISION REUNION AND BOOK
  5. hi (2)
  6. Addr: gen
  7. Addr: Garry Owen Song
  8. REF: D-Day Dictionary?
  9. GEN: WELCOME TO RICHARD CUMMINGS
 10. GEN: Re: hi
 11. SCI/GEN - What does it do? (2)
 12. GEN: Eastern US Museums

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 07:07:59 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 22 JUL 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 22 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutian Islands, 26 B-25's, 17 B-24's, 13 P-40's, and 20
P-38's hit North Head, Main Camp, and the submarine base at Kiska Island,
as well as coastal defenses and AA guns at both Kiska and Little Kiska
Islands, starting numerous fires. Intense and heavy AA fire downs one
B-25 (crew saved) and damages 18 aircraft of which another B-25 crashes
at base. 1 B-25 photographs the S and W Kiska Island shores. 1 B-24 flies
radar reconnaissance over Kiska Island.
    The 77th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 28th Composite Group, based
on Adak Island begins operating from Attu Island with B-25's.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  The results of the first phase of the Combined Bomber Offensive (CBO)
are good according to a report of the British Joint Intelligence Commit-
tee. The report maintains the CBO has caused Germany to adopt a defensive
air strategy resulting in more than half its fighter strength being
employed on the Western Front at the expense of the Eastern and Mediter-
ranean Fronts as well as causing considerable damage to transportation,
the synthetic rubber industry, and the fuel, iron, and coal industries of
the Ruhr.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    P-40's escort C-47's to Ponte Olivo, Sicily.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    During the night of 21/22 Jul, Northwest African Strategic Air Force
(NASAF) Wellingtons bomb Capodichino Airfield and Salerno marshalling
yard in Italy. In Sicily, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF)
light bombers hit Randazzo, the railroad at Falcone, and the road W of
Marina. In Italy during the day, 100+ B-17's bomb the Battipaglia mar-
shalling yard and Foggia; B-26's hit a Salerno bridge and marshalling
yard; and fighters fly a sweep over Maddalena Island, strafing factories,
trucks, and small vessels. In Sicily, NATAF light bombers bomb Adrano,
Paterno, Troina, and Misterbianco.
    On the ground in Sicily, US Seventh Army troops take Palermo; and the
1st Infantry Division continues N, taking Bompietro.
    The 85th and 86th Bombardment Squadrons (Light), 47th Bombardment
Group (Light), transfer from Soliman, Tunisia to Malta with A-20's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, 20+ B-17's and B-24's, 40+ US Navy dive bomb-
ers, and 100+ Allied fighter aircraft attack shipping in the area off
Buin, Bougainville Island. A sea-plane carrier is sunk, and damaging
hits are claimed on several other vessels.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, 50+ B-24's, B-25's, and B-26's blast troops, AA guns,
defensive positions, and targets of opportunity in the battle zones at
Komiatum, on Komiatum Ridge, at Kela Mountain, at Salamaua, and along
trails near Komiatum and Salamaua. B-24's bomb an oil refinery, docks,
and railroad yards at Soerabaja, Java. B-25's hit targets of opportunity
on Selaroe Island in the Moloccas Islands.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN -85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 11:56:39 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: LIST

  FOR LARRY JEWELL.  I am sorry not to have used a heading with my
initial Kohl versus Mitterand message.  I had no idea there would be
such a respone.
  Glad to see you have had a rush of new members.  I have felt this
through EMAIL about my book.  Paticularly for the benefit of the
new members, I am posting a message about the reunion of my WWII
outfit, the 4th Infantry Division.
  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 11:57:19 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: POL: KOHL VERSUS MITTERAND

  Oslo, July 22.  I have read with great interest all the messages
prompted by my original message.  I have been unable to resolve my
ambivalence about whether Germany should be represented next June 6
in Normandy, but evidently this will not be necessary, since Kohl
seems to be dropping the subject.
  The main impression I get is that the anniversaries which will unfold
from D-Day to VE-Day and then to VJ-Day are going to provide some
heavy weather.  We will, however, survive this and, once they are
over, I suspect WWII will finally fade into the background.  The
"heavy weather" will, however, leave behind debris which will com-
licate dealing with our problems.

*******************************************************************
* John C. Ausland               Tel: +47 22 14 17 68              *
* Land Productions              Fax: +47 22 16 30 92              *
* Sondreveien 4, Entry 2        CIS: 73240,2704                   *
* 0378 Oslo, Norway             Internet: [email-masked] *
*******************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 11:56:52 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: 4TH INFANTRY DIVISION REUNION AND BOOK

  Recently, I attended a reunion of the 4th Infantry Division Associa-
tion in Washington, DC.  In addition to giving me a chance to see
some of my World War II comrades, my book LETTERS HOME: A WAR MEMOIR
sold briskly.
  I was also happy to see that Sidney Kramer Books was presenting it
prominently in its military section and that a number of Compuserve
users had already ordered it.
  Before I left the US, my ad appeared in the July 15 issue of the
New York Review of Books, in the section for small publishers.
  James Fallows, Washington Editor of The Atlantic, has just sent me
an EMAIL message authorizing me to to use the following as his
reaction to the book:

"John Ausland is known to many readers for his insightful essays about
international relations. 'Letters Home' shows the same sensibility and grace
of expression , applied to the daily reality of life during war. I found this
a vivid and revealing book.  Very well written and engrossing."

  For those of you who have tuned in recently, if you will send me an
EMAIL message, I will be glad to send you a flyer telling you more about
the book and how to order it, if you decide to do so.  If you are living
outside the US, please let me know, for it might be best to get the book
directly from me rather than from Kramer.

*******************************************************************
* John C. Ausland               Tel: +47 22 14 17 68              *
* Land Productions              Fax: +47 22 16 30 92              *
* Sondreveien 4, Entry 2        CIS: 73240,2704                   *
* 0378 Oslo, Norway             Internet: [email-masked] *
*******************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 07:25:27 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: hi

        Arnaud,

        I got your letter about two weeks ago

        I don't have the list handy but will see if I can dig it up.

        Uss Intrepid is in the New York City area. I don't have any details.

        -- Bob Smart               Net - [email-masked]
           Verdix Corp.            Fax - (703) 318-9304
           205 Van Buren           Phone - (703) 318-5808
           Herndon, Va 22070

The Intrepid Sea-Air Space Museum is located at Pier 86, West 46th
Street and Twelfth Avenue, in New York City.  There are a number of
aircraft, including a P-2 (P2V) on the deck; the museum itself is
the whole hanger deck from bow to stern with numerous exhibits.
The Intrepid (CV/CVA/CVS-11) is moored on the southside of the
pier; a submarine, which is also part of the museum, is moored on
the north side.  I have been aboard the Intrepid several times but
have not made the submarine yet.  You should allow a minimum of 3-4
hours to see everything the Intrepid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 17:32:54 EDT
From:    RICHARD KING <[email-masked]>
Subject: Addr: gen

I am submitting the following commentary that was posted
on the new American Studies list (H-AMSTDY). If anyone on the
WWII list would like to respond to it I will try to
send in the commentaries to the H-AMSTY list in reply. I
really don't feel qualified to comment myself, but it just
doesn't seem accurate to me.
    The posting in question concerns concentration camps:
        "The 'liberation' label is problematic...American troops
         did not 'liberate' concentration/death camp prisoners
         who were gay, but in fact committed them to new,
         Americanized institutions like mental hospitals,
         new prisons etc. Liberation was on U.S. terms that
         sometimes echoed Nazi ideology (as in this case)."

Note I am leaving the author of this note anonymous. It
was submitted as part of a very interesting discussion
concerning the new Holocaust Museum in Washing D.C. Anyone
want to tackle it?

*********************************************************
[email-masked]
Richard L. King, Reference Librarian, Vincennes (IN) Univ.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 17:51:13 EDT
From:    RICHARD KING <[email-masked]>
Subject: Addr: Garry Owen Song

According to the POPULAR SONG INDEX the words and music to
"Garry Owen" ("Listen here, laddie boy, said a father one night..."
and the refrain, "Garry Owen was a mighty man...") is to be
found in HAPPINESS IS...70 IRISH SONGS (New York: Big 2 Music
Corp., 1976).
     Another listing is for a song called "Garryowen" ("Let
Bacchus's sons be not dismayed..." and the refrain, "Instead
of spa, we'll drink brown ale") in IRISH SONGS, by Burl Ives
(New York: Duell, Sloan and Pearce, 1958).
     I suggest you check local libraries to see if they have
these books, then at least you will have the sheet music
and words (call the reference desk and ask, to save time--
people often don't realize librarians provide telephone
reference, or for that matter, Internet reference).
     I hope this helps.
**************************************************************
Richard L. King, Reference Librarian, Vincennes (IN) Univ.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 07:48:31 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: REF: D-Day Dictionary?

Two years ago Guenther Rothenberg mentioned to me that he had been
approached for a submission to a proposed D-Day Dictionary/Encyclopedia.

Has anyone else heard of this?  Dr. G. said it was going to be a mulit-
volume work but said little else.  (He was asked to provide information
on Belgian units that took part in the invasion.  He told me that he would
have loved to do so except that there were no Belgian units involved.)

TIA,
Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 07:53:35 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LIST

>
>   FOR LARRY JEWELL.  I am sorry not to have used a heading with my
> initial Kohl versus Mitterand message.  I had no idea there would be
> such a respone.

   The flags were developed to handle the almost impossible load of
traffic generated when the list first started up.  150+ messages in one
day motivated me to provide some method of sorting the subject matter.
The alternative to the flags is, of course, a consistent subject line.
During high traffic period I will be more demanding about the flags, but
while traffic is low it's pretty much up to the members as to when to
use them.  As a group you've all been very good about  this matter and I've
seldom felt the need to speak up.  Bravo Zulu to all ;-).

>   Glad to see you have had a rush of new members.  I have felt this
> through EMAIL about my book.  Paticularly for the benefit of the
> new members, I am posting a message about the reunion of my WWII
> outfit, the 4th Infantry Division.

  Glad to have it.

>   Regards, John Ausland

Larry J

#L.W. Jewell WWII-L Listowner [email-masked]
#"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
#"Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41  #

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 08:09:35 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: hi

Sorry to do this to the entire list, but I couldn't do it
personally--Arnaud--give me a call.  Thanks--Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 15:36:23 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: WELCOME TO RICHARD CUMMINGS

  Oslo, July 22.  Richard, welcome to WWII-L.  I get the RFE/RL
news bulletin each day from the American Embassy Reference Center
BBS.  It is extremely helpful.
  Look forward to your further contributions.
  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 08:52:58 -0500
From:    "Sidney W. Kitchel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Re: hi

Gotta love the summertime! writes:
|->
|-> hello all....
|-> how are you ?
|->
|-> I have a question : What good WWII museums are there
|-> on the eastern US ? (i think wwii-l had a list..
|-> can anyone send it to me ? thanks)

        Well, as a Westerner trapped in the Midwest, I'll take
"eastern US" very broadly.

For airplanes:

        1. Dayton, Ohio: the U.S. Air Force Museum

        2. Suitland, Md: the Paul Garber Restoration Facility
                (a part of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum)

        3. Washington, D.C.: the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

For naval stuff:

        1. Fall River, Mass.: Battleship Massachusetts, Lionfish, and
                Joseph P. Kennedy

        2. New York City, NY: Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum

        3. Groton, Conn.: Submarine Force Museum

        4. Annapolis, Md.: US Naval Academy, Museum run by the U.S.
                Naval Institute, but you have to want to see models

                                                        --Sid
--
Sidney W. Kitchel           [email-masked], [email-masked]
Data Parallel Systems, Inc.  ============||  DPSI  ||===============
4617 E. Morningside Drive                             (812) 334-8100
Bloomington, Indiana,  47408  USA               FAX:  (812) 334-8121

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 09:58:06 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: SCI/GEN - What does it do?

John Riegsecker writes:

> I have a question about an object I saw at the museum.  It
> consisted of a flat disk about an inch thick and about 8-9" in diameter.
> There were teeth on the outside edge of the disk so that it looked like a
> gear.  There was a small wheel of about 2.5" in diameter mounted
> perpendicular to the outside of the larger wheel.  The small wheel had a
> little handle or crank on it.  Evidently you turned the crank and the
> little wheel moved around the larger wheel.  The caption said it computed B
> to the 2/3 power, that is the cube root of the square of the number B.  My
> question is, what was this thing used for?

Hrmm.  Well, such a calculation might be useful for ballistic computations
or navigation, as you suggested.  You mentioned shipyards, and it struck me
that the 2/3 power is the ratio of surface area to volume as an object's
size changes.  (Take a sphere of unit radius:  it's surface area is
proportional to the radius squared, while volume is proportional to radius
cubed.   If the radius goes from one unit to two, surface area increases by
a factor of four, volume by a factor of eight.  The surface area-to-volume
ratio is r ^(2/3).

I still can't figure how that'd be used in construction, but it would be
pretty handy for design.  Anything from the fluid dynamics of the hull form
to the size of the structural members or weight of the armor could be
calculated using this.

But then, the designers wouldn't have rooms full of 8" metal gearboxes to
calculate various exponents, they'd use slide rules and data tables.

Should you learn its purpose, I'd be keen to know.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
Quality Engineer            Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]
          "Giving money and power to government is like giving
         whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." - P.J. O'Rourke

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 11:42:18 -0400
From:    Max Hare <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Eastern US Museums

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I have heard that the naval display
at Fall River, Massachusetts also has a complete PT (torpedo boat)
museum with two complete examples...one is a rare, complete Elco
manufactured boat.  Does anyone know more about this?

Max C. Calderwood
University of Southern Maine
Gorham, ME
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 13:55:01 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: POL: KOHL VERSUS MITTERAND

>   Oslo, July 22.  I have read with great interest all the messages
> prompted by my original message.  I have been unable to resolve my
> ambivalence about whether Germany should be represented next June 6
> in Normandy, but evidently this will not be necessary, since Kohl
> seems to be dropping the subject.
>   The main impression I get is that the anniversaries which will unfold
> from D-Day to VE-Day and then to VJ-Day are going to provide some
> heavy weather.  We will, however, survive this and, once they are
> over, I suspect WWII will finally fade into the background.  The
> "heavy weather" will, however, leave behind debris which will com-
> licate dealing with our problems.

For the sake of everyone who served and the inpact WWII had on the world
to date and in the future, I hope that WWII never "fades into the
background."  It is important to keep the knowledge, memories, histories
and lessons alive.  The horrors of WWII today are opening up a highschool
text book and see this huge event reduced to a single chapter.

Ironically, Hitler tried to create a Thousand Year Reich.  The effects of
that attempt will probably still be felt in some manner a thousand years
from now.  One of the biggest, most costly alteration in world politics,
borders and directions has to be remembered.

After 1995, however, a lot of the flag-waving, anniversary symposiums,
major recreations, weekly news specials, etc. will be less obvious.  Some
time after that, we can count on nearly every first-hand account being lost
to the ravages of time.

I just hope that the whole experience does not fade away with it...

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force
  You know you've made a gear-up landing when it takes full power to taxi.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1993 20:36:05 +0100
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: SCI/GEN - What does it do?

> John Riegsecker writes:
>
> > I have a question about an object I saw at the museum.  It
> > consisted of a flat disk about an inch thick and about 8-9" in diameter.
> > There were teeth on the outside edge of the disk so that it looked like a
> > gear.  There was a small wheel of about 2.5" in diameter mounted
> > perpendicular to the outside of the larger wheel.  The small wheel had a
> > little handle or crank on it.  Evidently you turned the crank and the
> > little wheel moved around the larger wheel.  The caption said it computed B
> > to the 2/3 power, that is the cube root of the square of the number B.  My
> > question is, what was this thing used for?
>
> Hrmm.  Well, such a calculation might be useful for ballistic computations
> or navigation, as you suggested.  You mentioned shipyards, and it struck me

Sounds like part of the mechanical analog fire control computer.

-- Bob Smart               Net - [email-masked] or [email-masked]
   Verdix Corp.            Fax - (703) 318-9304
   205 Van Buren           Phone - (703) 318-5808
   Herndon, Va 22070

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 21 Jul 1993 to 22 Jul 1993
*************************************************