Subject: WWII-L Digest - 1 Jul 1993 to 2 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1993 00:00:36 -0400

There are 2 messages totalling 93 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 2 JUL 43
  2. subscribe

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Jul 1993 07:16:20 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 2 JUL 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 2 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  F4U, Vought Corsair (USN)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    3 bombers and 4 P-38's fly 4 reconnaissance missions over Kiska and
Segula Islands. 17 B-24's and 16 B-25's then attack Kiska Island in 5
missions, 2 of them radar-guided. Fires are started at several of the
targets, which include Gertrude Cove, the harbor, and buildings in the
Main Camp area. Intense AA fire damages 3 aircraft. 2 B-25's on a
submarine attack hit the Kiska seaplane ramp after making no contact
with the target. 2 P-40's cover troops which make an unopposed landing
on Rat Island.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    B-24's bomb airfields at Lecce, Grottaglie and San Pancrazio
Salentino, Italy.  In Sicily, B-25's hit the airfield and surrounding area
at Sciacca; P-40's, escorting bombers to Sciacca, shoot down a fighter and
damage 1. 2 P-40's are lost.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Sicily, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) Wellingtons
hit Palermo and Cagliari during the night of 1/2 Jul; and Northwest African
Tactical Air Force (NATAF) B-25's hit Castelvetrano during the day.
Northwest African Coastal Air Force (NACAF) aircraft attack 2 vessels off
the W coast of Italy and fly patrols, reconnaissance, and convoy protection.
    The air echelon of the 111th Reconnaissance Squadron (Fighter), 68th
Reconnaissance Group transfers with P-51's from Bou Ficha, Tunisia to
Korba, Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  B-25's and US Navy F4U's bomb and strafe a small vessel in the anchorage
at Bairoko, New Georgia Island, Solomon Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-25's pound defenses in the Kela Point area and a
trail near Logui while a lone B-24 bombs the Salamaua area. The Allied
invasion force (the MacKechnie Force) holds firm a beachhead on Nassau Bay,
and makes contact with Australian forces to the N. B-17's and B-24's again
attack airfields at Rabaul on New Britain Island in the Bismarck
Archipelago.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Jul 1993 15:04:14 MDT
From:    Patricia Loghry <[email-masked]>
Subject: subscribe

subscribe Pat Loghry WWII-L

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 1 Jul 1993 to 2 Jul 1993
***********************************************