Subject: WWII-L Digest - 19 Jul 1993 to 20 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1993 00:00:55 -0400

There are 18 messages totalling 611 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. KOHL VERSUS MITTERAND (2)
  2. USAAF 20 JUL 43
  3. L-4, Piper Cub or Grasshopper? (2)
  4. Aircraft deployed life boat? (3)
  5. GEN: Friendly Fire
  6. SCI/GEN - What does it do?
  7. The Garry Owen (5)
  8. S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien
  9. GEN: 50th Anniversaries
 10. GEN: Shameless CAF Commercial Plug Follows.  :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 10:35:00 CET
From:    Fred van Wetten <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: KOHL VERSUS MITTERAND

> I found a story saying that Kohl wanted to be invited to the June 6
> events next year.  According to this story, French and American
> officials were negative.  That the French are unenthusiastic does
> not surprise me, but I have been unable thus far to get a statement
> regarding the US position.
>   Regards, John Ausland

If a german representative should be invited, it should be the president
of the Bundes Republik, Herr Von Weissacker.
Helmut Kohl is just a politician, who needs another big succes after
the unification of the 2 germanies.
Kohl is in trouble as a politician, because of his slow and bleach re-
actions concerning the Neo Nazi violence in Germany today.
I am already getting upset by the thought, that Herr Kohl will use the
occasion, on 6 june 1994, as a personal opportunity to gain worldwide
face as one of the great contemporary worldleaders.
So in my opinion Kohl should NOT be invited.
On the other hand, I would cheer the invitation of the german president.
That man is not politicaly bound and of great integrity.

Fred van Wetten           Netadress:[email-masked]
CRI, instituut voor telecommunicatie en computerdienstverlening
RijksUniversiteit Leiden, PO BOX 9512, 2300 RA LEIDEN, Netherl.
Tel: +31 (0)71 276933     Fax: +31 (0)71 276967

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 11:59:03 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: KOHL VERSUS MITTERAND

  Oslo, July 20.  Thanks to Thomas Cardoza and to others who sent me
EMAIL messages, which were more relaxed about an invitation.  It looks
like Kohl decided he would not get an invitation.  The German Embassy
here tells me the Foreign Office in Bonn is saying "unofficially" that
Kohl does not want an invitation.
  While this evidently takes the pressure off for now, it does not
end the matter.  There will still be the question of how the German
media will deal with the series of anniversaries which will be initiated
by June 6 and will march across Europe until VE Day.
  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 07:15:46 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 20 JUL 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 20 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-18, Douglas Bolo
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  F-4, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  Wellington, Vickers (RAF)

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (AAF ANTISUBMARINE COMMAND)
    The air echelon of the 7th Antisubmarine Squadron (Heavy), 26th
Antisubmarine Wing, which has been operating from Edinburgh Field,
Trinidad with B-18's since Apr 43, returns to it's base at Jacksonville
Municipal Airport, Florida.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force)
    B-24's attack Mandalay, Burma.
    The 491st Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 341st Bombardment Group
(Medium), based at Chakulia, India sends a detachment of ground personnel
to Gaya, India.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    In China, 4 P-40's bomb a warehouse area at Tengchung; 6 others strafe
river traffic and railroad targets of opportunity at Sinti, Changanyi,
Tingszekiao, Kaiyu, and near Puchi.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (AAF Antisubmarine Command)
    In the Bay of Biscay, a B-24 of the 19th Antisubmarine Squadron
(Heavy) sinks U-588 at 45-10N 09-42W.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, B-25's attack Randazzo and Taormina; and Royal Air Force
(RAF) heavy bombers hit Vibo Valentia Airfield.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    During the night of 19/20 Jul, Northwest African Strategic Air Force
(NASAF) Wellingtons bomb Aquino, Sicily and Capodichino, Italy Airfields
while Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) medium and light
bombers attack vehicles, roads, and town areas around and in Randazzo,
Santo Stefano di Camastra, Orlando, and Nicosia, Sicily. During the day,
NASAF fighter-bombers attack targets of opportunity in W Sicily while
NASAF medium bombers strike Montecorvino Airfield.
    On the ground in Sicily, the US Seventh Army and British Eighth Army
continue to push NW and N. The US 82d Airborne Division takes Sciacca and
Menfi; the US 9d Infantry Division clears Santo Stefano Quisquina and the
heights N of Mussomeli; the US 2d Armored Division, with British units,
takes Enna and drives on to Villapriolo. The Canadian 1 Division pushes
to the Leonforte area; the British 51 Division attacks the German air-
field near Sferro; 13 Corps is halted by strong opposition on the
Catania Plain.
    HQ 86th Fighter Group transfers from Korba, Tunisia to Gela, Sicily.
    The 12th Photographic Squadron (Light), 3d Photographic Reconnaissance
and Mapping Group, based at Ariana, Tunisia begins operating from Gela
and Ponte Olivo, Sicily with F-4's.
    The 309th Bombardment Squadron (Dive), 86th Bombardment Group (Dive)
transfers with A-36's from Tafaraoui, Algeria to Gela, Sicily. The 310th
and 312th Bombardment Squadrons (Dive) of the same group transfer from
Korba, Tunisia to Gela with A-36's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, 18 B-24's bomb airfields at Kahili on Bougain-
ville Island and on Ballale Island. Fighters strafe barges in Pakoi Bay,
New Georgia Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea US ground forces begin the struggle for the heights
commanding Tambu Bay and Dot Inlet; A-20's and B-25's pound Madang
Airfield and area, the Komiatum, Logui, areas along the Gum River and S
of the Gogol River, the Gori River bridge area, and Bogadjim. On Timor
Island, B-25's bomb Lautem, Dili, and Cape Chater Airfield. A single B-24
bombs Arawe on New Britain Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 07:22:55 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: L-4, Piper Cub or Grasshopper?

        Wasn't Taylorcraft the original designer and builder of the Cub? This
        might explain the identical names, if the L-4 (-3/-6) was the development by
        (an)other compan(y)(ies) of the L-2.

        Emmanuel Gustin

Yes, you are correct about Taylorcraft.  But the name "Grasshopper"
was a USAAF name and was not used for the civilian versions of the
aircraft which pre-dated their military use.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 07:25:15 -0500
From:    Donald Newcomb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Aircraft deployed life boat?

A recent article in the local paper discussed a 1946 "B" movie that was filmed
on the MS Gulf Coast: "Seven were saved." One of the "stars" of the movie was
a lifeboat (not raft) that was carried under the belly of a B-17 and deployed
(dropped?) near survivors who could then sail the lifeboat to safety. I assume
the boat also had rations onboard. A picture of the boat showed a narrow craft
about 40' long with "Conastoga" type deck covers, a short mast and a jib &
mainsail.

Does anyone have any information about this lifeboat, its development and
any use it may have seen in WW-II?

Donald R. Newcomb              * University of Southern Mississippi
[email-masked]      * "The God who gave us life gave us liberty
[email-masked]     * at the same time."  T. Jefferson (1774)

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 09:04:43 -0400
From:    Steve Allen-Shinn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: L-4, Piper Cub or Grasshopper?

Emmanuel Gustin wrote:
>
>Wasn't Taylorcraft the original designer and builder of the Cub? This
>might explain the identical names, if the L-4 (-3/-6) was the development by
>(an)other compan(y)(ies) of the L-2.

Ah...  A subject that I can actually contribute to.  :)

Taylor and Piper designed and produced the original Taylor Cubs, the
E-1 and E-2.  After a tiff between the two, Piper took over and
renamed the company as Piper.  The E-2 was followed by the J-2 and
then the J-3. The J-3 Cub was modified slightly to become the L-4.

Meanwhile, C.G. Taylor formed a new company, Taylorcraft.  It was
this company that contributed the L-2.  I can't recall off the top of
my head what the civilian equivalent of the L-2, but it was an all
new design (definitely not a Cub).

I'm not sure which Aeronca was the L-3, but I'd guess it was similar
to the Champ.

I believe (it's been a *LONG* time) that the Interstate Cadet was
converted to the L-6 configuration.

None of these aircraft were based on the same original design.

I will try to find references for this (and more if you wish), but
I make no promises.  I was going to try to find info on the "Cub"
vs. "Grasshopper" name for the L-4, but I haven't had a chance
(thanks Jack).

- Steve
--
Steve Allen-Shinn       [email-masked]
Martin Marietta         Daytona Beach, Fla.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Jul 1993 16:10:49 +0200
From:    Chris Scogings <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Friendly Fire

>        To get to my point, does anyone know of any scholarly or
>government studies of friendly fire casualties, specifically WW II but
>also throughout the ages?  Sorry to go on, but Larry's mesage picqued my
>interest.

Does this include the large numbers of allied, ie: French and Belgian
civilians killed by USAAF and RAF bombing?

Chris
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Scogings                      Voice: (27) 331 955645
Computer Science Dept                 Fax: (27) 331 955599
University of Natal
Pietermaritzburg                   E-Mail:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 10:23:22 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Aircraft deployed life boat?

        A recent article in the local paper discussed a 1946 "B" movie that was filmed
        on the MS Gulf Coast: "Seven were saved." One of the "stars" of the movie was
        a lifeboat (not raft) that was carried under the belly of a B-17 and deployed
        (dropped?) near survivors who could then sail the lifeboat to safety. I assume
        the boat also had rations onboard. A picture of the boat showed a narrow craft
        about 40' long with "Conastoga" type deck covers, a short mast and a jib &
        mainsail.

        Does anyone have any information about this lifeboat, its development and
        any use it may have seen in WW-II?

They were dropped from modified B-17's and later B-29's.  I believe
the B-17's were available late in WWII (1945?) and both aircraft after
the war.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about the boat itself.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 07:31:23 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: SCI/GEN - What does it do?

Last friday I spent some time visiting the TURNER JOY and the Bremerton
Naval Museum.  I have a question about an object I saw at the museum.  It
consisted of a flat disk about an inch thick and about 8-9" in diameter.
There were teeth on the outside edge of the disk so that it looked like a
gear.  There was a small wheel of about 2.5" in diameter mounted
perpendicular to the outside of the larger wheel.  The small wheel had a
little handle or crank on it.  Evidently you turned the crank and the
little wheel moved around the larger wheel.  The caption said it computed B
to the 2/3 power, that is the cube root of the square of the number B.  My
question is, what was this thing used for?  The gentleman at the museum was
very kind, but he had no idea what it was.  Does it have anything to do
with navigation or gunnery?  Is it something a worker in a shipyard would
use?

Thanks in advance.

John Riegsecker
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 09:58:00 CDT
From:    "Roger Safian, (708) 491-4058" <[email-masked]>
Subject: The Garry Owen

Greetings,

    I know this is off the subject of this list, but I'm hoping that
one of you might be able to help.  I am going to make a very tenuous
conection to World War II, so I hope Larry will go easy on me!  :-)

    I'm looking for a copy of the Garry Owen.  Preferably on a CD.
(get ready for that tenuous connection)  The Garry Owen is the
regimental theme song for the 7th Cav.  The 7th Cav served proudly
in the South Pacific, and I believe finished the war as part of the
occupational forces in Japan.  The 7th Cav also had a bit of a
reputation with a certain General Custer and a few Indians.  :-)

   I've looked everywhere for this, but no luck.  I'm looking for
ideas, so if you have any please respond.  Thanks in advance.

                                              Roger

P.S.

    Larry - Sorry to go off the charter, I'll try to be a good boy
from now on!

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 10:12:29 EDT
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien

I again visited the Jeremiah O'Brien this past weekend.  I believe it
was Larry Jewell who forwarded a posting about three MERSHIPS that were
convoying over to Normandy to the 50th Anniversary D-Day ceremonies.
The curator of the O'Brien said this past weekend that they needed to
raise 1.5-2 million to made the trip, and that the money collected was
not significant enough to make a dent in that total.  They are hoping
that maybe they could just go across the San Fransisco Bay and bunker up
at the Navy's expense, however there hasn't been any success in getting
the Navy's support.  At present, they are trying through the French and
British governments, hoping that a request from them to the U.S.
government willbreak the logjam.

I spent an afternoon at Suisun Bay.  I found out that the Liberty
Ship'sreplacement, the Victory Ship, are all expected to be scrapped by
the late '90's.  MARAD is supposed to scrap them due to the results of a
mobility study, showing that we don't need as many breakbulk ships, and
more RORO's.  There are only a couple Liberty Ships still around as
well.  I think there are two left in the James River, and that's it.  It
seems like the end of the line for these ladies of the sea.

Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 11:50:23 LCL
From:    Tom Shirhall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: The Garry Owen

Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 1993 09:58:00 CDT
From: "Roger Safian, (708) 491-4058"
<[email-masked]>
Subject:      The Garry Owen
To: Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

Greetings,

    I'm looking for a copy of the Garry Owen.  Preferably on a CD.
(get ready for that tenuous connection)  The Garry Owen is the
regimental theme song for the 7th Cav.  The 7th Cav served proudly
in the South Pacific, and I believe finished the war as part of the
occupational forces in Japan.  The 7th Cav also had a bit of a
reputation with a certain General Custer and a few Indians.  :-)

   I've looked everywhere for this, but no luck.  I'm looking for
ideas, so if you have any please respond.  Thanks in advance.

Since the title is _The Garry Owen_, I would guess that the theme song is a
Scot regimental tune originally played on the bagpipes. Try that genre.

Tom Shirhall    [email-masked]

                                              Roger

P.S.

    Larry - Sorry to go off the charter, I'll try to be a good boy
from now on!

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 08:54:27 -0700
From:    Thomas Cardoza <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: 50th Anniversaries

On Tue, 20 Jul 1993, John Ausland wrote:

>   Oslo, July 20.  Thanks to Thomas Cardoza and to others who sent me
> EMAIL messages, which were more relaxed about an invitation.  It looks
> like Kohl decided he would not get an invitation.  The German Embassy
> here tells me the Foreign Office in Bonn is saying "unofficially" that
> Kohl does not want an invitation.
>   While this evidently takes the pressure off for now, it does not
> end the matter.  There will still be the question of how the German
> media will deal with the series of anniversaries which will be initiated
> by June 6 and will march across Europe until VE Day.
>   Regards, John Ausland

This raises some interesting questions, such as how will Germany mark the
50th of the fall of Berlin?  Are there any plans for major commemorations
of the Bulge next year?  If so, how will the different countries owning
chunks of the battlefield deal with it?  The shadow of Malmedy will
certainly stalk any attempts to include German participation.
        Also, does anyone know what is happening conerning anniversaries
in the Soviet Union?  (Oops! Former Soviet Union: old habits die hard!)
I'm so wrapped up in my own work that I've completely forgotten to
celebrate Kursk's 50th, but I wonder how much celebrating is going on over
there, given the economic situation and given the strong communist tone
given to Great Patriotic War celebrations for so long.  Has the war lost
its shine for, say, the Ukrainians?

Tom Cardoza

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 13:02:00 CDT
From:    "Roger Safian, (708) 491-4058" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: The Garry Owen

Tom,

    Thanks for the suggestion.  I had though it was Irish, and looked
in that section of the store as well as marches.  I'll try Scottish.

                                           Roger

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 15:54:00 CDT
From:    Bill Kupersmith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: The Garry Owen

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that the Garry
Owen was originally the regimental march of an Irish regiment
of the British army, the Inniskilling Dragoon Guards, and that
Irish immigrants who had served in that regiment enlisted in
the 7th cavalry later and brought the march of their former
regiment with them.

--Bill Kupersmith
University of Iowa

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 17:33:09 -0400
From:    Max Hare <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: The Garry Owen

Tom,

I think that the Garry Owen is featured as the theme of the old Jimmy
Cagney - Pat O'Brien movie "The Fighting 69th" (1940 or so).  Its now
out in video so if you have trouble getting a copy you could always tape
it off the video sountrack (the video is around $14. or so).  I have
always thought and this movie tends to imply that the Gary Owen is an
Irish tune.  Anybody have any info on this.

Max C. Calderwood
University of Southern Maine
Gorham, ME
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 17:16:47 MDT
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Aircraft deployed life boat?

On Tuesday, July 20th, Donald Newcomb wrote:

> Does anyone have any information about this lifeboat, its development and
> any use it may have seen in WW-II?

Edward Jablonski's (sp?) book *Flying Fortress* has a picture of a B-
17 loaded with this life boat and (I think) talks a little bit about
it.  I don't have the book with me, so I can't give a specific
reference.

Wasn't one of the CAF's B-17's "The Sentimental Journey" originally
used in this manner?

Steve Alvin
Dickinson State University
[email-masked]
**********************************************************************
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.--Proverb*
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat my class.-SA*
**********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 1993 21:32:21 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Shameless CAF Commercial Plug Follows.  :-)

Every once in a blue moon I go into a shameless commercial plug when the
CAF does something positive.  :-)

I occasionally get request for information on membership and mail out
applications as people request (normally I don't ask for interest, though
we're in a campaign at the moment -- If we can sign up 100 new members,
our Wing will save $10,000 (whimper!)).  I _think_ I've got information
out to everyone who has asked recently... If you haven't seen anything yet,
please remind me.  (Except Mr. Christian... I finally got to his just
yesterday... :-)

Anyways, I wasn't really going for that, except I wanted to be the first
to announce that the CAF finally recognized the importance of kids in
preserving WWII history and desire to know by authorizing the "Cadet
Membership."

For $45 per year, a child between the ages of 14 and 17 can join the
Confederate Air Force.  They get all the benefits -- magazine, newsletter,
can wear the uniform, be directly involved, etc.  The only thing they cannot
do is ride on the aircraft (insurance).  The individual Wing policies will
vary.  The Southern Minnesota Wing, for example, will ask for an $18 donation,
but waive it entirely if a parent is a member.  (i.e., we won't send a Wing
newsletter because the family already receives it).

The idea is to get kids much more involved and involved in a real way.  The
CAF and the individual Wings do not financially benefit as the costs are
meant to be "break even."  Therefore, Cadet memberships do not apply toward
our recruitment goals, but kids are what we are really here for.

There are a lot of us around who want to keep the memories alive and burning
in the hearts of everyone.  I never knew WWII.  As a matter of fact, I
hard a hard time understanding why people were giving machine guns to
guerillas... I couldn't believe that big hairy apes could learn to organize
and fire a gun.  :-)  But my parents lived under WWII and under Nazi
occupation.  Many people I know served.  My desires for remembrance burn
bright because I know people first hand who lived through it.

But the generation coming up -- That's their grandparents or great-
grandparents.  Many of them will never know someone personally who can
explain to them this cataclysmic event that changed _their_ world.

My opinion is that this is an excellent opportunity to introduce kids to
WWII history and excite them about it by making them INVOLVED.

There are many youth organizations that are also of importance -- obviously
organizations like the Boy and Girl Scouts develop leadership skills.  The
EAA's Young Eagles program help excite kids about aviation.  But the CAF's
program is one of the few with the desire to plant the seed for remembrance.

Personally, I hope people will flock to this program and make it successful.
I hope parents will consider joining as well and organizing the youth part
of the CAF membership into something positive that provides leadership skills
and excitement about history -- not just WWII, but history in general (it
does NOT need to boring!)

Since it's so new (only officially approved this last Saturday -- even the
application forms haven't been developed yet :-), there's a lot of opportunity
to make it into something extraordinary.

If anyone is interested in trying to help start up this program, please
contact CAF Headquarters or email me -- I have a version of our membership
application geared towards the Cadet (Oh no, more applications to mail! :-)

--- Shameless commercial plug ended.  We now return you to your regularly
scheduled friendly discourse.

(*WHEW* ... Get RID of this guy, eh?  :-)

P.S. If anyone is going to Offutt AFB this weekend, stop by Miss Mitchell,
buy some trinkets and taunt the crew.  Drop my name, tell them I told you
to bother them and then email me that you did it so I know how long I will
need to hide for... :-)

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force
  You know you've made a gear-up landing when it takes full power to taxi.

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 19 Jul 1993 to 20 Jul 1993
*************************************************