Subject: WWII-L Digest - 27 Jul 1993 to 28 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 00:00:40 -0400

There are 7 messages totalling 280 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Need help in finding
  2. USAAF 28 JUL 43
  3. HELP!!!!!
  4. INF: Marshall at Ft. Screven
  5. REF: 2nd World War Aftermath -- Berlin blockade?
  6. Informations Request (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 28 Jul 1993 10:58:45 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Need help in finding

i]Larry, the only reference I find to the 253 Regiment in the material
I have makes it a part of the 63rd Division after our forces crossed
the Rhine.  John might call 202 504-5400.  This is the number of:

Army Office of Military Hist.
1099 14th St. NW
Franklin Court
Washington, DC 20005-3402

If he does not get enough information there, he can visit the National
Archives in Suitland, Maryland.

I do not know how one gets information on an individual.  If anyone else
does, I would be curious to know.  There is a National Personnel Records
Center in St. Louis, but when I wrote them to get some Morning Reports,
they told me they were only helping people who are trying to make claims
against the government.

Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 28 Jul 1993 07:15:09 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 28 JUL 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 28 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  Fw 190, Focke Wulf (Luftwaffe)
  Liberator, Consolidated (RAF)
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force)
  The 333d Fighter Squadron, 318th Fighter Group, transfers from Hilo,
Hawaii to Bellows Field, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii with P-39's.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    6 B-25's, with escort of 9 P-40's, bomb Taikoo Docks at Hong Kong.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (AAF Antisubmarine Command)
    In the Bay of Biscay, German submarine, U-404, is sunk by a B-24 of
the 4th Antisubmarine Squadron (Heavy) and a Royal Air Force (RAF) Libera-
tor of No. 224 Squadron, at 45-53N 09-23W.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
    VIII Bomber Command Mission Number 78: The aviation industry in
Germany is targetted but bad weather hampers the raids. The targets are:
      1. 182 B-17's are dispatched against the Fieseler Works at Kassel,
Germany; 58 hit the target at 1027-1054 hours; they claim 27-15-22
Luftwaffe aircraft; 7 B-17's are lost, 4 are damaged beyond repair and 54
damaged; casualties are 15 WIA and 71 MIA.
      2. 120 B-17's are dispatched to the Fw 190 plant at Oschersleben,
Germany; 37 hit the target; they claim 56-19-41 Luftwaffe aircraft; 15 B-
17's are lost, 1 is damaged beyond repair and 64 damaged; casualties are
11 WIA and 134 MIA.
  This is the deepest US bomber penetration into Germany to date. The
raid achieves good results however, 22 B-17's are lost as fighters score
first effective results with rockets. 105 P-47's, equipped with jettison-
able belly tanks for the first time on a mission, escort the B-17's into
Germany; other P-47's, going more than 30 miles (48 km) deeper into
Germany than they have penetrated before, meet the returning bombers.
They surprise about 60 German fighters and destroy 9 of them; 1 P-47 is
lost.
    VIII Air Support Command Mission Numbers 6 and 7: The primary targets
are in Belgium and France, i.e.:
      1. 18 B-26B's are dispatched against the coke ovens at Zeebrugge,
Belgium; 17 hit the target at 1105 hours; 3 B-26's are damaged.
      2. 18 B-26B's are dispatched against Tricqueville Airfield, France
but the mission is recalled when the accompanying fighters do not join
up.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, almost 100 P-40's hit shipping at Catania and Santa Teresa
di Riva, fly patrol over the Straits of Messina, and bomb encampments.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
     Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) fighters sweep over S
Sardinia. In Sicily, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) light
bombers hit Regalbuto, Milazzo, and Centuripe; A-36's and P-40's hit
heavy traffic on the Troina-Randazzo road, bridges and roads N and W of
Cesaro, the landing ground at Falcone, and buildings near Randazzo.
     On the ground in Sicily, the US Seventh Army takes Nicosia and
pushes toward Santo Stefano di Camastra. The British Eighth Army takes
Agira. Allied cargo vessels begin arriving at Palermo, and Lieutenant
General Harold R Alexander, 15 Army Group Commanding General, moves his
HQ to Sicily.
    HQ 320th Bombardment Group and it's 443d Bombardment Squadron (Medi-
um) transfer from Massicault, Tunisia to El Bathan, Tunisia with
B-26's.
    The 8th Troop Carrier Squadron, 62d Troop Carrier Group, transfers
from El Djem, Tunisia to Gourbrine, Tunisia with C-47's.
    The 99th Fighter Squadron, XII Air Support Command, transfers from
Fardjouna, Tunisia to Licata, Sicily with P-40's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, B-25's and US Navy aircraft hit gun positions
and other targets at Webster Cove on New Georgia Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  On New Britain Island in the Bismarck Archipelago, B-25's attack barges
and fuel dump between Cape Raoult and Rein Bay and hit the airfield at
Cape Gloucester and 2 destroyers offshore; single B-24's bomb Unea
Island and unsuccessfully attack shipping in Saint George Channel between
New Ireland and New Britain Islands. In New Guinea, B-24's bomb Manokwari
and Larat and Boela on Ceram Island in the Moluccas Islands. On Timor
Island, B-25's hit the town of Lautem and the airfield at Cape Chater.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 28 Jul 1993 09:01:08 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: HELP!!!!!

Larry,

Please excuse this post; but I need an answer and the guys on this
net are some of the best!!!!

I remember seeing a book within the last six months about the
Berlin Airlift of Jun 48-Sep 49.  I mentioned it to someone who now
wants it but I cannot find it in the book stores and unfortunately, I
don't remember the author or title.  (Sorta SOL, right?)  Does anyone
have any additional information?

Please e-mail me at the address listed below.  Thanks in advance!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 28 Jul 1993 11:04:17 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Marshall at Ft. Screven

John asked about George Marshall's short stay at Ft. Screven (sp?),
and, according to Forrest Pogue, it was short because Douglas MacArthur
wanted him to take the instructor job.  Marshall was having a lot of fun
with the CCC and didn't want to go, but Dougie Mac made a personal
request and George went quietly.

Interesting things pop up when you have a small army where "everybody knows
everybody" :-).

Further details on request. Sorry I didn't write down the name of the Pogue
book.  I'll get it later and post or mail if requested.

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 28 Jul 1993 14:31:04 EDT
From:    Robert E George <[email-masked]>
Subject: REF: 2nd World War Aftermath -- Berlin blockade?

 The Berlin airlift /                           Tusa, Ann.  1988   2
 The Berlin blockade /                          Tusa, Ann.  1988   3
 Das Krisenmanagement der Vereinigten Staaten   Gerhardt,   1984   4
  The United States and the Berlin Blockade, 19  Shlaim, Av  1983   5
  Die Berliner Krise 1948/49 :  zur imperialist  Keiderling  1982   6
  Kryzys berli?nski, 1948-1949 /                 Mikulska-G  1980   7
 Berlin and Israel 1948  [microform] : foreign  Rosenberg,  1978   1
  Bridge across the sky :  the Berlin blockade   Collier, R  1978   2
  Blockade: Berlin and the cold war.             Morris, Er  1973   4
 Es ging um Deutschlands Einheit.  R?uckschau   Friedensbu  1971   7
  The American occupation of Germany;  politics  Gimbel, Jo  1968   1
  Bridge in the sky                              Donovan, F  1968   2
 Berlin airlift.                                Rodrigo, R  1960   3

Was it any of the above?

     Regards,
     Robert George

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Jul 1993 16:24:09 BRA
From:    "Silvio E. G. Melo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Informations Request

     Please, if is possible i need informations about the fate of following
ships:

British Cruisers : Adventure, Delhi, Despatch, Durbam, Dautless, Diomede, Danae
British Destroiers : Scimitar, Scout, Saladin, Sardonyx, Shikari, Sabre, Fury,
                     Fame, Douglas, Campbel, Malcolm, Mackay, Stuart, Montrose
British Gumboat : Gnat, Scarab, Farantuba, Term
British Minelayer : Ringdove, Medusa, Malpomene, Minerva

     Grate in advance

     Silvio. E. G. Melo

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 28 Jul 1993 19:01:27 MDT
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Informations Request

On tue, July 27th, Silvio Melo requested:

>      Please, if is possible i need informations about the fate of following
> ships:
>
> British Cruisers : Adventure, Delhi, Despatch, Durbam, Dautless, Diomede, Danae
> British Destroiers : Scimitar, Scout, Saladin, Sardonyx, Shikari, Sabre, Fury,
>                      Fame, Douglas, Campbel, Malcolm, Mackay, Stuart, Montrose
> British Gumboat : Gnat, Scarab, Farantuba, Term
> British Minelayer : Ringdove, Medusa, Malpomene, Minerva

You might want to get a copy of *Ships of the Royal Navy*, by J. J.
Colledge.  "The complete record of all fighting ships of the Royal
Navy, from 1400 to today, is presented here in alphabetical order.
Each entry includes the ship's tonnage, main armament, builder,
launch data, disposition, and any name change." Maybe a Librarian on
the list can provide the publisher and ISBN number.

I hope this helps.

Steve Alvin
Dickinson State University
[email-masked]
**********************************************************************
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.--Proverb*
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat my class.-SA*
**********************************************************************

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 27 Jul 1993 to 28 Jul 1993
*************************************************