Subject: WWII-L Digest - 26 Jul 1993 to 27 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1993 00:00:44 -0400

There are 6 messages totalling 229 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INFO: Raw overall aircraft logs?
  2. GEN: LIBRARIES
  3. USAAF 27 JUL 43
  4. garyowen
  5. new job listing
  6. Need help finding regiment history

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Jul 1993 00:46:02 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO: Raw overall aircraft logs?

Particularly interested in the B-25 Mitchell (B-25J specifically, if
ever possible), but I'm curious if anyone has raw total "log data" for
various WWII aircraft?

I'm interested in large numbers indicating usage.  Of most interest
is easily accessible numbers like how many were built total (and how
many of each major model revision), but the more interesting data is
harder to come by: Approximate (in all cases) total number of missions,
miles flown, hours logged on the airframes (in combat missions or just
in general), etc.

I'd love to find data that basically said "x,xxx B-25J Mitchell's were
built which logged over xxx combat missions, xxx hours, covering xxx
miles during combat, dropping xxx tons of ordnance... blah blah blah."

Does anyone have a reference that can provide some specific requests
(beyond the B-25) or can point me to a good resource?

Oodles of Thanks.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force
  You know you've made a gear-up landing when it takes full power to taxi.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Jul 1993 09:46:02 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: LIBRARIES

  Oslo, July 27.  Thanks to Michael Cotter and others for their advice
regarding libraries.  The net effect of this is to encourage me to
go ahead with mailing flyers to a select group of university, public,
and military libraries.
  On the advice of several Compuserve users, I have also written to
the Publishers Marketing Association in California, which may help
me cast a wider library net.
  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Jul 1993 07:08:31 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 27 JUL 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 27 JULY 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutian Islands, 12 bombers and 20 fighters take off on 5
attack missions to Kiska Island. Several of the fighters jettison bombs.
The other aircraft hit Main Camp, North Head and Little Kiska Island.
    The 21st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 30th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
transfers from Umnak Island to Shemya, Island. The air echelon is operat-
ing from Amchitka Island.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    10 B-24's attack shipping in the Samah Bay area of Hainan Island,
claiming severe damage to 2 vessels; 25-30 fighters intercept the B-24's.
13 fighters are claimed shot down; no B-24's are lost. 6 B-25's, support-
ed by 14 fighters, attack targets of opportunity on Stonecutter's Island,
in the Hong Kong area after failing to locate a reported freighter in the
area.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
  VIII Air Support Command Mission Number 5: 18 B-26B's are dispatched
against Tricqueville Airfield, France; 17 hit the target at 1825 hours.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    P-40's attack tactical targets in battle area in NE Sicily, and
others hit shipping at Catania, Sicily.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's hit the airfield at
Capua and the railroad at Lioni, Italy. B-25's and B-26's bomb the landing
ground at Scalea, Sicily. Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF)
fighters and light bombers continue bombing and strafing of ports, shipping,
bridges, landing grounds, and motor transport in Sicily as the US Seventh
Army reaches Tusa and San Mauro and pushes toward Nicosia.
    The 307th Fighter Squadron, 31st Fighter Group, transfers from
Agrigento, Sicily to Palermo, Sicily with Spitfires.
    The 309th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 86th Bombardment Group
(Light), transfers from Gela, Sicily to Barcelona, Sicily. This squadron
will be redesignated the 525th Fighter-Bomber Squadron on 23 Aug 43.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, Brigadier General Ray L Owens becomes Command-
ing General, Thirteenth Air Force. B-17's bomb airfields at Kahili on
Bougainville Island and Ballale Island. 8 P-38's and 70+ US Navy and
Marine Corps aircraft again attack the Munda area on New Georgia Island,
hitting positions on Bibolo Hill and targets at Gurasai, Munda Point, and
Munda Airfield.
  The 371st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 307th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
based on Espitu Santo in the Hebrides Islands begins operating with B-24's
from Funafuti Island in the Ellice Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, 35 B-25's and 18 B-24's pound the Salamaua area in one
of the largest single-strike attacks of Southwest Pacific Area (SWPA).
Airfield and supply storage at Salamaua, the town of Kela and nearby
hilltop positions, and defensive positions between the road and beach at
Logui are hit; 5 other B-25's hit barges between Pommern Bay and Finschh-
afen, and the concentration and supply area at Voco Point; a lone B-24 on
armored reconnaissance bombs targets of opportunity on Mundua and Unea
Islands.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Jul 1993 09:12:23 -0400
From:    "Harold J. Cohen." <[email-masked]>
Subject: garyowen

                        A version of Garyowen(with lyrics) is available on
an audiocassette by Bobby Horton.The cassette "Homespun Songs of the Union
Army vol. 2" costs $10.00 and can be ordered from: Bobby Horton, 3430
sage Brook Lane, Birmingham, AL 35243.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Jul 1993 09:12:28 -0500
From:    Kris Zapalac <[email-masked]>
Subject: new job listing

THE FOLLOWING ANNOUNCEMENT WILL APPEAR IN AN UPCOMING ISSUE OF AHA'S
"PERSPECTIVES."  PLEASE POST TO BULLETIN BOARDS / E-LISTS AS APPROPRIATE:

MEDIEVAL EUROPEAN HISTORY.  Washington University in St. Louis is seeking
to make an appointment in Medieval European History at the rank of
assistant professor (tenure track).  Candidate should have Ph.D. by June
1994.  The Department plans to interview candidates at the AHA annual
meeting in January 1994.  Please send letter of application, c.v. or
placement file, and three letters of recommendation to Professor Richard
Walter, Department of History, Box 1062, Washington University, St. Louis
MO 63130-4899, by December 1.  Women and minority candidates are strongly
urged to apply.  Washington University is an AA/EOE.  Employment
eligibility verification required on hire.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Jul 1993 18:44:50 -0500
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Need help finding regiment history

Can anyone help John out here?  Post to the list, send mail to me
or post to soc.veterans. (Email to soc.veterans via
[email-masked]).

TIA,
Larry J

>I apologize if this is the wrong newsgroup but I need help
>finding information on my father's WW2 military history.
>
>According to his discharge papers he was in the 253rd Infantry
>Regiment serving in Europe. As a kid, either my imagination
>ran wild or I was told he was in the 101st Airborne in the
>Normandy Invasion and also fought in the Battle of the Bulge.
>From what I have read in books, I see no mention of the 253rd
>Infantry Regiment along with the 101st Airborne.
>
>Is it common for GIs and/or Regiments to get moved araoun? Is the
>regiment listed on his discharge papers his assignment at the time
>of discharge only or would it have been throughout his service?
>His papers list the following Campaigns: Central Europe Rhineland,
>G.O. 33, and W.D. 45 - do these mean anything to anybody?
>His basic training was in Fort Dix, New Jersey.
>
>I would greatly appreciate any help on researching the history of
>the 253rd Inf. Reg. or if anybody can tell me how to go about
>tracking down his military records I would be forever grateful.
>Thanks in advance for any help anybody can provide.
>--
>John R. Bonsma
>Bell Communications Research
>[email-masked]

--
#L.W. Jewell WWII-L Listowner [email-masked]
#"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
#"Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41  #

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 26 Jul 1993 to 27 Jul 1993
*************************************************