Subject: WWII-L Digest - 2 Jul 1993 to 3 Jul 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1993 00:00:23 -0400

There are 2 messages totalling 166 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. ARC: Archival additions
  2. PARA WINGS

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 3 Jul 1993 11:23:39 EST
From:    Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ARC: Archival additions

F.Y.I:

Date:     Sat, 3 Jul 1993 00:02:35 -0500
Reply-To: Military History <@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU:MILHST-L@UKANVM>
From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:  MILHST-L Digest - 1 Jul 1993 to 2 Jul 1993
To: Recipients of MILHST-L digests
              <[email-masked]>
Status: OR

There are 11 messages totalling 325 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Archival sources (3)

  [balance of articles deleted]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Jul 1993 11:41:41 -0700
From:    anita cohen-williams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Archival sources

      This information is from the 12th issue of the NATIONAL INVENTORY OF
DOCUMENTARY SOURCES IN THE UNITED STATES (NIDS) Newsletter, published by
Chadwyck-Healey, Inc.
       The Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress has received some
3,500 items and 108 volumes (23 cartons) of the papers of John Paul Vann and
Neil Sheehan. The materials relate to the Vietnam War and other military
matters and were used by SHeehan in writing his biography of Vann, A BRIGHT
SHINING LIE (1988). The material includes ring binders and folders containing
the U.S. Defense Department publication, CURRENT NEWS, a daily printed
compilation of news articles and editorials for the period 1964-1975.
       There is a lot more of this type of info in the Newsletter, especially
on new material that the National Archives has accessioned recently. Are
people interested in me passing it along? Let me know.

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4576              FAX: (602) 965-9169
BITNET: IACAGC@ASUACAD    INTERNET: [email-masked]

 -----------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Jul 1993 14:20:18 -0700
From:    anita cohen-williams <[email-masked]>
Subject: More NIDS

      Here is more info from the NIDS Newsletter:
      The National Archives has received 27 cubic feet of Records of the U.S.
Army, Vietnam (R.G. 472), consisting of 5th Special Forces Groups; Detachments
A-502, A-342, and ORLL, 1965-1970; Aviation Section, Aviation Safety Division,
Aircraft Accident Reports, 1969; General Orders, 1962-1965, 1968, and 1971;
Missing in Action Files 1965-1972; 47th Military History Detachment, Riverine
Operations Study, 1968; United States Army, Vietnam, Adjutant General's
Section, Administrative Services Division, Daily Command Strength Reports,
1969.

      From the World War II period, the National Archives has added to its
Records of the Foreign Broadcast Intelligence Service (R.G. 262) 37 cu. ft. of
Transcripts of Monitored Short Wave Broadcasts, 1941-1945.

      The National Archives has accessioned into the Records of U.S. Army
Commands (Record Group 338) 225 cu. ft. of Ports of Embarkation Records;
European Command, Judge Advocate Division, Decimal Files, 1947 and 1951; and
Hawaiian Department, Signal Section, microfilm, 1922-1944.

   More to come (I've got to rest...)

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4576              FAX: (602) 965-9169
BITNET: IACAGC@ASUACAD    INTERNET: [email-masked]

 -----------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Jul 1993 14:41:06 -0700
From:    anita cohen-williams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Part 3 of NIDS

    Here's the last of it...
      The National Archives - New England Region office has added to its
Records of the Bureau of Yards and Docks (R.G. 71) approximately 5 feet of
"Journals of Daily Transaction," or logs for the Boston Navy Yard, 1833-1834,
1836-1843, and 1849-1850; the Portsmouth (NH) Navy Yard, 1836-1841, 1843, and
1845-1851; the New London (CT) Experimental Station, 1919; and the New London
Submarine Base, 1920-1921. This is a chronological record of daily events,
showing weather conditions, type and number or personnel, and work assigned
and accomplished.

       The Pacific Northwest Region (Seattle) of the National Archives has
received 1 foot of Records of the Burea of Yards and Docks (R.G. 71),
containing the air station of the Aviation Division, 1925-1942, for the air
station at Tongue Point, OR. The Seattle office also now has 4 feet of Records
of the Bureau of Aeronautics (R.G. 72) of the Records of the Inspector of
Naval Aircraft, Seattle, WA, 1917-1919.

The National Archives - Pacific Southwest Region has received from the
National Archives - Washington, 57 cu. ft. of the Records of the Army Air
Forces (R.G. 18) consisting of the Records of the Army Balloon School, Ross
Field, Arcadia, CA; general adminstrative files, as well as telegrams, sick
reports, and duty rosters; post returns, 1918-1929; special orders, 1918-1926;
and general orders, 1919-1921. Records of the Air Corps Detachment, Lindbergh
Field, San Diego, CA consist of general administrative files, 1925-1941.
Records of Rockwell Air Depot, Coronado, CA, consist of special orders,
1920-1926; general orders, 1920-1927 and 1935-1938; and mobilization and
planning files, 1923-1939. Records of the Air Service Flying School, Rockwell
Field, Coronado, CA, consist of special and general orders, 1917-1935. Records
of March Field, CA, consist of general administratuve files, daily record of
flights, special regulations, reports of enlistments, telegrams, orders,
1918-1921; post memos; special orders, 1931-1934; and general orders,
1935-1938.

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4576              FAX: (602) 965-9169
BITNET: IACAGC@ASUACAD    INTERNET: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 3 Jul 1993 13:10:34 -0400
From:    MAX HARE <[email-masked]>
Subject: PARA WINGS

>From <@MAINE.maine.edu:[email-masked]> Fri Jul  2 17:31:18 1993
Received: from MAINE.CAPS.MAINE.EDU by MAINE.maine.edu (IBM VM SMTP V2R2)
   with BSMTP id 6818; Fri, 02 Jul 93 17:32:21 EDT
Received: from MAINE.EDU (NJE origin LISTSERV@MAINE) by MAINE.CAPS.MAINE.EDU
 (LMail V1.1d/1.7f) with BSMTP id 5608; Fri, 2 Jul 1993 17:32:21 -0400
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 1993 16:41:43 -0400
Reply-To: Military History <[email-masked]>
Sender: Military History <[email-masked]>
From: MAX HARE <[email-masked]>
Subject:      PARA WINGS
To: Multiple recipients of list MILHST-L <[email-masked]>

Folks,

I recently learned that the U.S. Air Force Academy offered both
parachuting and glider flying (I was really shocked to see a Sweizer
2-33 training glider in USAF markings!) to its students.  My question is
...do the cadets earn any special rating badge for either activity?

Also, a prominent insignia dealer is offering "USAF Parachute Wings".
These are identical to the regualr USAF pilots wings except the shield
in the center has been replaced by an open parachute (much like the
Navy/Marine jump wings) and the entire affair is colored silver.  All
jump-rated USAF personnel that I have seen have earned their jump wings
through the US Army jump school and wear the classic chute with
turned-up wings "airborne" badge.  Is this badge spurious?  Would it be
related to the USAF Academy programs?  What / where / how is the USAF
running its own parachute school?

Sorry for all the ??? but this has me stumped.

Max C. Calderwood
University of Southern Maine
Gorham, ME
[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 2 Jul 1993 to 3 Jul 1993
***********************************************