Subject: WWII-L Digest - 22 Aug 1993 to 23 Aug 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1993 00:00:36 -0400

There are 18 messages totalling 660 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. TAC: Lend-Lease rel.to Soviet Tactics
  2. USAAF 23 AUG 43
  3. USAAF DEC 41
  4. TRV: Greco-American Battleships
  5. INF: U.S. Naval Chronology
  6. WW II/Russian Front "mysteries"
  7. Soviet tank divisions in 1941
  8. 22 June 1941
  9. Raising the U-534
 10. TAC: production/blitzkrieg
 11. U-534 (2)
 12. Bath Iron Works
 13. The Net ADvertiser
 14. REP: Japan war reparations
 15. WWII Mysteries/Soviet Maneuver Theory
 16. more U-534 information
 17. Japanese war reparations and "others'" atrocities

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 10:54:43 EET
From:    "F.Baube[tm]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TAC: Lend-Lease rel.to Soviet Tactics

> Date:         Sun, 22 Aug 1993 18:26:00 LCL
> From: Jeff Olson <[email-masked]>
> Subject:      TAC: Lend-Lease relationship to Soviet Tactics
>
> US agriculture
> ensured sufficient food supply for the majority of the Soviet Army.

I'm not sure if it counts as "agri-
cultural", so I'll mention that ..

The US sent enormous amounts of SPAM to
the Soviets. Probably because it packed
the most calories possible per shipload.

I have read a quote from a senior Soviet
officer saying that without SPAM they
could not have made it to Berlin.

/fred  (a Monty Python fan)

--
* Fred Baube (tm) GU/MSFS/88 [email-masked]
* #include <disclaimer.h>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 07:21:46 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 23 AUG 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCE
MONDAY, 23 AUGUST 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): B-25's fly low-level strike against
Myitnge, Burma bridge, knocking out a center span and badly damaging 2
others.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force): B-24's hit a marshalling yard at
Bari, Italy.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force): Northwest African
Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-26's bomb the Battipaglia, Italy marshalling
yard. Fighter-bombers hit factory and barracks near Cagliari, Sardinia.
Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) P-40's and A-36's escort NASAF
B-26's, and Spitfires fly uneventful tactical reconnaissance over NE Sicily
and the toe of Italy.
  HQ 313th Troop Carrier Group transfers from Kairouan, Tunisia to Sciacca,
Sicily.
  The 93d Fighter Squadron, 81st Fighter Group, transfers from Monastir to
Sidi Ahmed, Tunisia with P-39's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): B-24's and
P-39's strafe targets of opportunity on Wagina Island in the Solomon
Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): B-24's bomb the
town and airfield of Kendari on Celebes Island. B-25's hit targets in the
Aroe Islands. In New Guinea, B-26's pound Kela; and B-25's hit Marawasa,
Finschhafen, and Lillum Saun.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 07:26:16 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF DEC 41

The combat chronology of the USAAF for December 1941 has been forwarded to
the two ftp sites listed below for your use.

1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 07:21:48 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: TRV: Greco-American Battleships

Oops, while going over the logfiles I noticed that I had not acknowledged
the correct answers to the question about which American battleships
had been sunk by the Luftwaffe. Here'e the "official" answer and everyone
who responsed correctly has won (don't know what you've won, but you've
won :-).

04/23/41 Greek naval vessels sunk:
          Battleships KILKIS and LEMNOS, by German aircraft,
           Salamis, Greece, [KILKIS (ex-USS IDAHO BB-24) and LEMNOS
           (ex-USS MISSISSIPPI BB-23) were not operational at the
           time of the attack.]

(I *told* you it was a trick question.)

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 07:25:08 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: U.S. Naval Chronology

The first draft of the digitization of the U.S. Navy's Chronology of WWII
is done and will be uploaded to byrd.mu.wvnet.edu within the week.

This is a pure text scan of a U.S. Government Printing Office publication
and is in  the public domain.

Larry J

#L.W. Jewell WWII-L Listowner [email-masked]
#"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
#"Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 10:38:24 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WW II/Russian Front "mysteries"

Allan,

     'Suggest you read OPERATION BARBAROSSA by Fugate, HITLER'S PANZERS
EAST by Stolfi, ROAD TO STALINGRAD by Erickson.

     The Germans invaded 22 Jun 41.  They were so successful at the begin-
ning because Stalin, Beria, etc. refused to believe the Germans would
attack.  On the first day, Red Army commanders could not get official
permission to shoot back.

     The Russians had 22,500 tanks (est.), the Germans 3,500.  The Russians
had the T34 and KV1 tanks which were far superior to anything the Germans
had.  (Like the Germans, they had many more light/obsolete tanks.)

     Lack of radios/communication/coordination handicapped the Russians.
Their units were clumsy.  Also, the Germans had the finest, battle-tested
troops in the world -- at that moment.

     'Hope this helps you get a start on the greatest/largest military
campaign in history.  I have a simple Russian Front game published on
ERIC -- GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR -- which you may find informative
and which is available via large research/university libraries worldwide.

Louis Coatney,
  Western Illinois University Library

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 10:44:54 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Soviet tank divisions in 1941

Emmanuel,

     The Soviets did have tank divisions in 1941.  There were roughly
30 mechanized corps, usually consisting of 2 tank divs and 1 motorized
infantry div.  I believe the theoretical number of tanks for a mechcorps
was a little over 1000.

     Your point about the Soviets being in the midst of re-equipping and
re-organization -- and your point about the destructive effect of the
Katyn-like massacre of "progressive"/pro-Tukhachevski members of the Red
Army officer corps -- was/were well taken.

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 10:53:48 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: 22 June 1941

Again, the Germans invaded the Soviet Union on 22 June 1941.

Incidentally, the Red Army frontier fortification troops and NKVD border
  guards fought like lions, in most cases.  Many of their wives and children
  had moved up to the border areas with them.  Those that weren't able to be
  evacuated were consumed by the disaster.

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 11:00:06 -0400
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Raising the U-534

The following is an AP item from Monday morning's paper.

ANHOLT, Denmark - Gale force winds forced salvagers to postpone the
surfacing of a WWII German submarine yesterday, while historians
speculated that something of value might be in the U-boat.

Documents show that the U534, which was sunk by a Royal Air Force
bomber May 5, 1945, carried 16 tons of provisions.

"Such a submarine usually carried 12 to 13 tons of food, so one can't
rule out the possibility that there could be something else in the
cans", said Winnie Odder, a historian.

Salvagers said they hoped to bring the submarine up today.  They need
12 hours of calm weather to raise it from the sea bottom of the tiny
island of Anholt between Sweden and Denmark.

German historian Per Kluever said that according to WWII British
intelligence sources, 20 German submarines were supposed to leave
Germany for the northern seas in May 1945.

Kluever said that some of those submarines carried prominent Nazis
fleeing the collapsing Third Reich and carrying precious goods.

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 12:39:39 -0400
From:    "Mr. Scott Hannon" <[email-masked]>
Subject: TAC: production/blitzkrieg

I (Scott) wrote:
[a decisive factor in Germany's defeat was]:
>>  a) industrial resource shortage: Germany was out-produced.

Bill replies:
>This is an example of the way western histories tend to present facts in
>such a way as to inflate the importance of American/British roles....
>...these facts, out of context, give the wrong impression.
...
>Germany was indeed outproduced, but the production losses because of the
>blockade, bombing, and sabotage are outweighed by the production losses due
>to Soviet guns.

I think WW2 German industry, with a good supply of raw resources, an
undamaged transport system, and lack of bomber harrasment, could have been
double what it was. Thus production losss > gun losses. It comes down to
what you think German industry could have acheived.

Shawn Robert Woodford writes:
> What the Nazis could not do was integrate their combat effectiveness into
> an effective strategy, which MUST take into account material imbalances.
[But the USSR did.]
> "blitzkrieg" represented a fatal lack of rationalization of tactical and
> operational means with strategic ends--this is the basic reason why the
> Germans lost the war.

The USSR did not IMO have better strategic vision...it seems to have been
plenty faulty as demonstrated in Finland in 1940 and USSR in 1941/1942.
Germany was not IMO pursuing a dead end...as victory in Poland, Norway,
Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, and France (and *almost* the USSR)
seem to me to refute that idea.

Germany underestimated the size of the Red army and the difficulties caused
by terrain. They more-or-less did what they thought would win them the war
by August 1941. Given their poor intel on the USSR, its hard to say the
fault with Barbarossa was with blitzkrieg...the faulty intel analysis made
it seem it should have worked.

>It is too bad that Cold War prejudices still run so deep as to preculde
>objective consideration of Soviet miltary thought, which was far more
>fertile and imaginitive than that in Germany.

I don't think Soviet military theory has been ignored. The amount of
published work on the topic seems to refute that idea. The general
inappropriateness of Soviet doctrine for western militaries is a major
reason it doesn't see wider use. Many countries are not willing to expend
lives so freely, keep armys so large, and treat soldiers so badly. I'd
suggest the reason Soviet military theory was more furtile and imaginative
than Germany's during WW2 was due to the relative success of each sides
military performance. Success leads to stagnation, failure to change.

Scott.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 12:49:13 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: U-534

According to the Associated Press, the U-534 was raised today off a
Danish Island.  Only 3 men of the crew of 52 were killed when the sub
was sunk by an RAF bomber on 5 May 45.

The report I have does not say anything about them opening up the sub
and if so, what they found.  Except for damage to the tower by fishing
trawlers, the sub is in nearly intact.  The sub will be turned into a
museum at Hirtshals, Denmark.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 15:22:10 -0230
From:    NAME <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bath Iron Works

For more information about the shipyards at Bath, Maine, I
suggest you get in touch with:

     The Curator
     Maine Maritime Museum
     243 Washington Street
     Bath, Maine  04530
     USA

Hope this helps.

Olaf Janzen                      Tel: (709) 637-6282
Department of History            FAX: (709) 639-8125
Sir Wilfred Grenfell College     e-mail: [email-masked]
Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Canada
A2H 6P9

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 12:57:56 CDT
From:    "D. Neff" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U-534

>The report I have does not say anything about them opening up the sub
>and if so, what they found.

   Was Geraldo Rivera there by chance? :-)

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 18:35:11 +0200
From:    NetAdvertiser <[email-masked]>
Subject: The Net ADvertiser

*****************************************************************************

Are you trying to sell your car, your home, your drums, your whole Jimi
Hendrix's bootlegs collection?
Are you going to rent your flat at Aspen for the summer time?
Or maybe you are looking for a car, or for a new job, or for friends to
spend all the nights watching Peter Greenaways's movies or playing Diplomacy.
Even if you are offering jobs and managing a commercial company you can
enter the world of:

                T H E    N E T    A D V E R T I S E R

The Net Advertiser is a mailing list created to give  all the Internet
community the opportunity to widespread private sales, rent, offer messages.
Everybody can find a place in The Net Advertiser digest, even commercial
companies.

This is a list maintained by the InfoNet Project, a group of computer science
experts, students and consultants whose aim is the propagation of all kind of
information across the Internet and CREN world.
Advertising in the digest is completely free, except for commercial companies
which must submit a 75 $ fee in order to support the InfoNet Project work.

For any information, subscription and submission write to:
[email-masked].

*****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 15:09:00 EST
From:    "W.C. \"Rusty\" DIVENS" <[email-masked]>
Subject: REP: Japan war reparations

            *  *  *   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t   *  *  *

                               (News Global)

                          Monday, August 16, 1993

Forwarded by: Liu Jian
Source: Reuter, August 14, 1993

TOKYO -- New Prime Minister Morihiro Hosokawa is considering setting up a
$9.8 billion fund to express Japan's repentance for its World War II
excesses, a newspaper said Saturday.

The daily Mainichi said the seven parties making up Hosokawa's coalition
government had started consultations on the fund.

The report said the government would provide the funds but would not be
directly involved in their disbursement. Other details, including whether
the beneficiaries would be individuals, institutions or governments, were
not yet decided.

The newspapers said Chief Cabinet Secretary Masayoshi Takemura would hold
consultations on the proposed fund with academics and other interested
parties.

Government officials were not immediately available to comment on the
report.

Hosokawa, on assuming power this week, has said he wants to make amends for
Japan's actions during its invasion of China in World War II, and on Tuesday
called the conflict "an aggressive war and a wrong war."

Hosokawa is expected to make some sort of apology in his first policy speech
at parliament on August 23.

But officials fear the policy of openness could encourage former victims of
Japanese colonialism to come forward demanding compensation.

However, the new government intends to uphold the position held by previous
Japanese governments that have maintained that Japan had fulfilled its war
reparations requirements via government-level agreements.

"Prime Minister Hosokawa is not considering reviewing Japan's stand on
reparation," Takemura told Friday's news conference.

----------------------end of forwarded text------------------------------

N93774

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 14:27:00 CDT
From:    Shawn Robert Woodford <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWII Mysteries/Soviet Maneuver Theory

>From what I can gather, there is a decided misconception about what
"blitzkrieg" and what "Deep Battle" are.  Contrary to popular myth, there was
NO such thing as blitzkrieg, at least as defined by an German military
literature from 1919-1945.  The name blitzkrieg itself is no where to be found.
It was coined by an American journalist in September 1939.  Anglo-American
historians have been amazingly neglectful in its analysis of German Military
History, relying on biased memoirs, technical analyses derived through the lens
of homegrown theories (Liddell Hart, Fuller), and the huge mythology created by
the Allies in 1939-41 to explain ther shocking setbacks.  Only very, very
recently has a new generation of military historians bothered to look at the
German-language, primary sources.  Both of the German inter-war field manuals,
von Seeckt's 1922 version and von Beck's 1934 version contain no reference to
blitzkrieg, and I defy anyone to find anything but a superficial resemblance to
what we erroneusly define as blitzkrieg now, to what they advocated then.

>From what can be deduced from the fragmentary record, the Germans did not have
what Western military institutions would define as a combat "doctrine," in the
sense of a well-defined set of instructions, outlining their method of warfare.
Instead they relied on inculcating a common philosophy of war and a tremedous
amount of reliance upon subordinate initiative in the officer corps, and used
General Staff officers as watchdogs throughout the various command levels to
keep the system functioning.  German officerswere taught a common approach to
problem-solving, allowing for a decentralized means of conducting operations.
It was this flexibility that gave them such tactical and
operational superiority over their opponents.  This is what allowed them to
utilize their meagre resources effectively enough to defeat, the Poles, France,
etc.

The main lesson the German General Staff brought away from World War I was that
they failed due to a lack of sufficient resources.  Interestingly enough, this
is the same conclusion that the early Soveit Army thinkers came to as well.
Where they parted was on the solution to this.  The Germans decided that there
wasn't anything wrong with their tactical approach, but that it hadn't produced
victory because it hadn't been able to achieve a decision rapidly enough.  So
they began to emphasize those technologies and tactics that maximized speed--
tanks, aircraft, auftragstaktik, and infiltration tactics.  The early Panzer
waffe was a compromise between the cavalry approach advocated by many WWI vets
and the motorized infantry approach advocated by Brauchitsch, von
Tschischwitz and Guderian.  Because Germany could never produce enough tanks to
fully equip more than about 10% of their army, they had to rely on a way of
winning that de-emphasized pitched battle.  This resulted in an impasse between
the "Young Turks" in the Reichsheer advocating deep penetrations relying on
speed and confusion to disrupt the enemy--the cavalry approach; and the more
orthodox principle of encirclement, battle and annihilation espoused by the
older generation of German officers.  Thus, the Panzer divisions were set up in
such a way that maximized maneuver over battle.  As the war progressed they
rarely possessed enough tanks to pack a sufficient wallop, their artillery was
still truck-drawn rather than self-propelled.  Most importantly, their infantry
was transported on trucks, rather than half-tracks, forcing them to dismount to
fight, invariably resulting in their seperation from the tank spearhead.  Tanks
without infantry support are at a decided disadvantage in any terrain offering
even modest concealment to defending forces.  Moreover, the Panzer divisions
were as much tied to railroads for supply as the vast numbers of German
infantry divisions.  This limited them to "hops" of about 200km before lack of
supplies ground their advance to a halt.  These factors were instrumental in
the German failure to penetrate the British Dunkirk perimeter in June 1940, as
well as preventing them from delivering the coup de gras to the Soviets in
1941.  And they derived from weaknesses in German military theory brought about
by a faulty analysis of the causes of their WWI defeat, and a decided failure
in the Hitler era to link military ends with industrial means.

Yeah, the German economy could have produced far more than it did, but as long
as Hitler ran the country, it wouldn't produce enough to equip the German Army
sufficiently to relieve the stresses on its military approach.  Hitler would
not subject the German people to the stringencies of a wartime economy before
he absolutely had to, and he would never give anyone the power to rationalize
war production before he absolutely had to.  Failure to appreciate these
realities were fundamental strategic errors, and created fatal instabilities in
the German operational concept.  This is why blitzkrieg can only be considered
as nothing more than a theoretical dead end, although its specific features are
very much worth study.

Shawn Robert Woodford, Kansas State
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 16:34:29 -0400
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: more U-534 information

This just in....(insert sounds of newsroom teletypes)  :-)

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Salvagers hoping for Nazi documents and treasure
hoisted a German U-boat in "fantastic shape" Monday out of a muddy
seabed where it sank in an Allied attack 48 years ago.

German survivors from the vessel and airmen from the British plane
that bombed it gathered on the Danish island of Anholt for the
recovery, singing war songs together and swapping stories.

Historians have speculated that the U-534, like some other German
submarines seized near the end of the war, carried microfilms and
paintings sent out of Germany in the last days of the Hitler regime.
The vessel's good condition increased chances to recover such items,
if any were aboard.

"It's in fantastic shape, much better than we expected", said
Jonathan Wardlow, a spokesman for the salvagers.  The U-boat's tower
had been damaged by fishing trawlers, but the rest of the 255-foot
submarine, which had sunk stern-first 220 feet deep into the mud,
was nearly intact.

Wardlow said Capt. Finn Lenneman, a Danish Navy explosives specialist
and first man to board the submarine, found shells in the deck lockers
"in excellent condition".  The hull was only slightly corroded and
retained its original gray-brown color.  Salvagers had feared that the
ammunition might have deteriorated and become dangerously unstable.

U-534 was among the most modern German submarines when a Royal Air
Force bomber sank it on May 5, 1945, the day after Nazi troops
surrendered in Denmark, northern Germany, and the Netherlands.  Three
members of the 52-man crew died.

The 1,100 ton vessel was hoisted from the water by two giant cranes,
and Dutch crewmen from the Smit Tak crane company used hand tools to
pry open two deck hatches.

Three quarters of the vessel was filled with water, but the officers'
quarters and radio room were dry, behind watertight hatches closed by
German sailors before they abandoned ship, salvagers said.

Eight German survivors and four airmen from the Liberator bomber that
sank the submarine viewed the hoisting of the wreck.  "I guess I will
have a little bit of excitement", the bomber's navigator, Neville
Baker of Lakewood, Ohio, said before the recovery.

"I was told I would be the first (American) man ever who sank a German
warship and saw it brought up again in my lifetime", said Baker, a
native Briton who took US citizenship.  The other three airmen are
Australians.

The U-534 will be towed by barge to Hirtshals, on the west coast of
Denmark's Jutland peninsula, and turned into a museum.  Salvagers said
it could take three days to disarm and remove explosives.  When the
submarine is declared safe for boarding, historians will search it.

German historian Per Kluever quoted WWII British intelligence sources
as saying 20 German submarines with prominent Nazi officials and
precious goods left Germany in the last days of the Third Reich.
U-534 could be one of them.

A German submarine seized off the eastern United States on May 14, 1945,
held military documents and valuable goods worth $6 million in a secret
double stern.  Kluever said that submarine, trying to reach Japan, also
carried a Nazi general and two Japanese military officers.

No remains were expected to be found.  "There's so little space in a
U-boat that there's no place to hide", said Kluever.  No one was missing
from the crew list and none of the identities was in doubt, he said.

Under salvage agreements, newspaper owner and salvage sponsor Carsten
Ree owns the submarine, but the valuable goods and documents found
inside belong to the Danish state.  A court was expected to rule later
about the final disposition of such goods.

(AP story by Jan M. Olsen)

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1993 18:01:18 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Japanese war reparations and "others'" atrocities

Rusty,

     In the spirit of trans-Pacific glasnost, I have heard a(n unverified)
report of a young GI being executed/murdered on the spot by his sergeant for
refusing to participate in the massacre of an Okinawan village in 1945.

     I know WAR WITHOUT MERCY alludes to such acts in general terms, but do
you know of any specific, on-the-ground, "at our mercy" incidents of
American atrocities against civilians in the Pacific?

     While our war crimes in the Pacific pale by comparison with the
Japanese, we do have an obligation to acknowledge them, especially if
the Japanese are finally willing to do so.

Lou Coatney,
  Western Illinois University Library

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 22 Aug 1993 to 23 Aug 1993
*************************************************