Subject: WWII-L Digest - 3 Aug 1993 to 4 Aug 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 00:00:53 -0400

There are 8 messages totalling 465 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 4 AUG 43 (2)
  2. ADMIN: Introduction to WWII-L (July 13 edition) (3)
  3. Kiska withdrawal
  4. INF: Need shipping losses tables...
  5. INF: "Nacht und Nebel" Decree?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Aug 1993 09:21:33 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 4 AUG 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 4 AUGUST 1943

FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-24, Douglas Dauntless
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  Beaufighter, Bristol
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutian Islands, between 0855 and 1846 hours, 153 tons of bombs
are dropped on Kiska Island, a new one-day record; 6 armored weather, photo
and reconnaissance missions, flown by 3 B-24's, 2 P-40's, and 2 F-5A's bomb
through clouds, take photos and observe fires in Main Camp and on Little
Kiska Island; later 48 B-25's, 22 B-24's, 16 A-24's, 8 P-40's, and 40
P-38's fly 17 bombing and strafing attacks to Kiska Island; targets hit
include buildings near the radio station, and the gun battery area on North
Head. Little Kiska Island and Segula Island are also strafed.
    The 36th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 28th Composite Group, which has
been operating from Adak Island with B-24's since Jun 43, returns to it's
base on Amchitka Island.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
    VIII Air Support Command Mission Number 14: 36 B-26's are dispatched to
shipyards at Le Trait, France; 33 hit the target at 1926 hours without loss
or casualties.
    The 416th Night Fighter Squadron, VIII Fighter Command, begins moving
from Acklington, England to Algiers, Algeria with Beaufighters.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, P-40's attack shipping at Messina and support ground forces
at the N end of Mount Etna.
    On the ground in Sicily, US troops are halted by fierce opposition at
the Furiano River and at Troina.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Italy, Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's bomb the
submarine base at Naples; B-26's and B-25's hit the railroad bridge at
Cantanzaro and railroad at Paola. In Sicily, Northwest African Tactical Air
Force (NATAF) medium and light bombers, and fighters attack communications
targets, gun positions, and storage areas in the Milazzo-Adrano-Biancavilla
and Bronte-Riposto-Fiumefreddo areas. A number of NATAF aircraft hit rail
sidings on the toe of Italy and attack shipping off Messina, Sicily.
    On the ground in Sicily, the British cross the Salso River with 2
divisions, while other forces prepare to drive on Catania and others
continue toward Misterbianco.
    HQ 99th Bombardment Group (Heavy) and it's 347th and 348th Bombardment
Squadrons (Heavy) transfer with B-17's from Navarin, Algeria to Oudna,
Tunisia.
    The 95th, 96th and 97th Fighter Squadrons, 82d Fighter Group, transfer
from Souk-el-Arba, Algeria to Grombalia, Tunisia with P-38's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  On New Georgia Island in the Solomons Island, B-25's, and US Navy dive
bombers, bomb the Gurasai-Kindu Village area; some of the B-25's also
strafe areas emitting intense small arms fire, silencing it. P-38's and
P-40's claim 11 fighters downed in a series of running battles over the C
Solomons.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  B-25's bomb and strafe the Itni River area on New Britain Island and hit
several villages on Selaroe Island in the Tanimbar Islands. Single B-24's
bomb a dump area on the Francisco River, New Guinea and Cape Gloucester
Airfield on New Britain Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Aug 1993 09:48:50 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: Introduction to WWII-L (July 13 edition)

Since we're now over 260 members in 24 countries, I thought I'd repost
the intro.  We can expect another influx of new members  when school reopens
in the next few weeks.  Meanwhile, keep up the good work!

Larry J

*****************************************************************************
Welcome to WWII-L, a list dedicated to the discussion of the
greatest cataclysm of the Twentieth century (and, hopefully,
the last.)

I'm Larry W. Jewell and I'll be listowner until further
notice.  I can be reached at the addresses listed at the end
of this notice.

WWII-L will be self-moderated.  This means that each of you
will always try to remember that there is a human being on the
other end of the net, and the "Golden Rule" is rule number
one!

Our subject is HUGE and not everyone will be interested in
everything that moves over the mails.  To ease YOUR burden of
sorting the items you wish to read I offer the following
"flags".  They will go FIRST on the Subject: line.
(This section will be enforced when traffic get heavy, otherwise
members may use their discretion on the matter.)

SCI (for discussion of science and technology, may overlap
     with WEAP)
WEAP ( for talk of weapons, useage of weapons, and "My favorite
       weapon.")
POL (Political discussions, such as the effects of the Yalta
     Conference)
TAC (Tactical and Strategic discussions, "Island hopping vs.
     Single axis")
REF (References, review, where-to-buy, etc.)
INF (Tables of Organization, raw data, chronologies, etc.)
DOC (Reproductions of documents, Declarations of War,
     Speeches, Treaties, etc.)
GEN ("Let's find a category for this.")
TRV (For you trivia buffs. Try to stump everyone.)
VET (For reunions, VA announcements, Legislation affecting veterans)
HOME (For discussions of events on the "Homefront".  To help distinguish
      WHICH homefront we're talking about, use the following format:
      HOME:US for the U.S.A.,
      HOME:GER for Germany, and so forth.)
NOST (For Nostalgia items, such as trips to battle sites, historical
      recreations, museum information, where to buy badges and hats, etc.)
ADMIN (For listowner use, to post introduction and related material.
       Responses to article are welcome, but only listowner should originate
       an "ADMIN" article.)
WANT (For trading, suggestion on stores worth visting, etc.  Please offer to
      send more information via e-mail rather than posting an entire inventory.)
MEDIA (To review and report tv and other media "events".)
NEWS (For reproductions of newspaper, magazine, and other articles from the
      period under discussion.  Present day news items should be post under
      "MEDIA".
ARC  (For discussion of on-line resources and materials, such as those avail-
      able via ftp or gopher.  Discussion of the WWII-OLA (On-Line Archives)
      should be posted under this flag.))

Some items will overlap, of course, but the main thrust of the item
should be clear.  Try not to ask so many questions in a single post
that the flags become inoperative.  Several short posts are preferable
to one long one, and are easier to answer and quote.  You should change
the flag in the subject line if the thread takes a new direction.  If
you reply to a posting which didn't have a flag, please insert the proper
flag.  (This can help categorize the subject for people who have to down-
load the mail via slow modem, one of the main reasons for having the flags
at all.)

You'll be hearing from me if you "forget" this system.  I also
solicit additions to this list.  Please keep this table handy
until you're comfortable with the flags.

Abbreviations are another subject that needs attention.  While many of us
will be comfortable with the most arcane and obscure acronyms and abbreviations
many of the readers of this list are here to learn more about the war and
will have trouble decyphering your articles if they are packed with "LAH",
"CinCUS", "StuG III", etc.  PLEASE expand these terms at least once in your
post.  Similarly, since this list is primarily in English, could we please
translate the "foreign" terms?  A long discussion on "Kido Butai" or "Wacht-
am-Rhine" without an explantion of the terms isn't polite if we exclude part
of the list because they have no clue as to the meaning of the terms.

Now we come to the REALLY hard part.

Some subjects have been beaten to death, and I KNOW that they'll
come up almost as soon as the group gets started.  To save us
all time, I'll ask that the following subjects be covered by
private mail (in other words, talk to someone who CARES.)  I'm
not judging the validity of anyone's arguments one way or the
other in these subject, just that I have yet to see one person
change their mind about them.

1. The Holocaust
2. Did Roosevelt Know About The Coming Attack on Pearl Harbor?
3. (Watch this space...)

One last item, STATE YOUR REFERENCES!  You're in tough company
here.  Some of the folks in this list are VERY sharp, and
you'll end up with egg on your face if you haven't done your
homework.

Normally the listserv will want you to subscribe from you own account rather
than having me add you to the list.  This allows the software to confirm
mailing routes as I don't always get your full address in the mail.

Contact me if listserv gives you any problems and we'll seek a solution.

SUBSCRIPTION INFOMATION:

ALL Messages are to go to:

[email-masked] (internet)
listserv@ubvm                (bitnet)

Send the following commands  in the body of the message.

To SUBSCRIBE:

subscribe wwii-l (your name)

To UNSUBSCRIBE:

unsubscribe wwii-l

To turn mail off for a period without unsubscribing:

set wwii-l nomail

To turn mail back on when ready:

set wwii-l mail

To Digest (have all postings sent in one mailing per day):

set wwii-l digest

To restore normal mail (undigest the list.)

set wwii-l mail

To confirm that your posting has been sent to the list:

set wwii-l ack

To get a copy of your posting sent to you:

set wwii-l repro

(Ack will send you a note saying "your file has been succesfully distributed,
and repro will send a copy back to you of your posting..

To retrieve logfiles for WWII-L send mail to [email-masked] or
                                             listserv@ubvm (for bitnet)

with this message in the body:

get wwii-l log9207c

This file will contain all the postings sent to the list in the third week
of July.

The files are held for two months and broken down by seven day periods (which
usually don't coincide with the calendar "week".  Thus you might see this
kind of entry

WWII-L LOG9207A  (for 01-07 July, 1992)
WWII-L LOG9207B  (for 08-14 July, 1992)
WWII-L LOG9207C  (for 15-21 July, 1992)

You can also get the files by ftp if you have access.  FTP into ubvm.cc.buffalo.
edu and CD to WWII-L.  The files are in ascii format and the machine is case
sensitive.

The Daily Digests are compiled into a monthly collection which can be obtained
from:

byrd.mu.wvnet.edu
/pub/history/military/wwii/digests

If I haven't suffciently confused you, send me e-mail and I'll finish the job:-)

Larry J
Date:         Wed, 16 Sep 1992 18:06:11 CDT
From: DONALD NEWCOMB <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Getting back articles and the database

From:Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Larry,
  One of the "niftiest" features of the listserver is the database
search. This allows the user to search for any subject and print
either an index of the "hits" or the articles themselves. For
instance if you mail the command sequence below to "[email-masked]"
or "[email-masked]" it will send you an index of all
articles in the archive that deal with weapons (the WEAP: tag).
_
//Job
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD *
sel * in wwii-l where subject contains ("weap:")
index
/*
_
If you change the word "index" to "print" it will return you a copy
of the articles themselves. I think you can start with the listserv
"help" command and find a complete set of instructions  for using the
database. The complete instructions are very complex and should only
be tackled by someone with experience with data searching experience.

Donald R. Newcomb - Univ. of Southern Mississippi - Gulf Park
   <[email-masked]>

Enough talking.  I can be reached at the following addresses;

Larry W. Jewell                      [email-masked]
2501 Soldier's Home Rd. #58B         JEWELLL@PURCCVM
W. Lafayette, IN, 47906-3571
(317)496-3234

#Larry W. Jewell (ex-USN)  WWII-L Listowner   [email-masked]     #
#"Sunday's horoscope is noteworthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly#
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." #
#--"Your Horoscope," L.A. Evening Herald Express, Saturday, Dec. 6, 1941.   #

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Aug 1993 13:44:11 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Introduction to WWII-L (July 13 edition)

        Since we're now over 260 members in 24 countries, I thought I'd repost
        the intro.  We can expect another influx of new members  when school reopens
        in the next few weeks.  Meanwhile, keep up the good work!

        Larry J

Larry,

If you have a chance (no rush either), could we get a rundown of
members by country?

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Aug 1993 12:12:14 MDT
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF 4 AUG 43

Just a quick question to the collective wisdom of the net:  When did
the Japanese evacuate Kiska (Yes, I suppose I could look it up, but I
guess I'm too lazy today)?  If it was several days before the
invasion, wouldn't the lack of AA activity be a hint that the island
was empty?  Or did the U. S. just assume its airstrikes were very
effective?

Thanks.

Steve Alvin
Dickinson State University
[email-masked]
**********************************************************************
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.--Proverb*
*Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat my class.-SA*
**********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Aug 1993 13:33:10 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Kiska withdrawal

I remember up at the Alaska State Library, we were sent a postwar
  Japanese feature film -- "Retreat from Kiska."  The acting was great,
  the ship models used in the naval scenes were beautiful, but it WAS
  marred by the obviously plastic model U.S. airplanes shooting their
  obviously spring-launched "rockets" at the ships (which were then
  revealed to be at sea in a studio bathtub).

It was nonetheless a fascinating film from the Japanese point of view
  about an important chapter in Alaskan history.  The person responsible
  for film acquisition was unenthused about military or naval history, and
  it was passed on into oblivion (we found out when we later tried to
  locate it).

Has anyone seen this?  I think Toshiro Mifune -- no less -- was in the film.

Lou Coatney, WIU

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Aug 1993 16:49:19 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Introduction to WWII-L (July 13 edition)

> Larry,
>
> If you have a chance (no rush either), could we get a rundown of
> members by country?
>
To get a copy of the membership list broken-down by countries send

review wwii-l countries

as the only item in the body of a letter to

[email-masked]

and you'll get the list back, usually, within 24 hours.

I'd rather not post this to the whole list since a lot of people
probably aren't interested.  If this system fails for anyone, send
me mail to the address below and I'll forward you a copy of the file.

Larry J

#L.W. Jewell WWII-L Listowner [email-masked]
#"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
#"Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41  #

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Aug 1993 18:20:39 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Need shipping losses tables...

I need a reference for shipping losses for each month of the war. Number
of ships and tonnage from all causes.  Any suggestions?

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Aug 1993 20:26:44 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: "Nacht und Nebel" Decree?

Anyone have the text of the "Night and Fog" Decree issued to the German
secret services in December 1941?

Larry J

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 3 Aug 1993 to 4 Aug 1993
***********************************************