Subject: WWII-L Digest - 10 Aug 1993 to 11 Aug 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 00:00:29 -0400

There are 9 messages totalling 501 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 11 AUG 43
  2. Wewak Mission, Aug 43
  3. NAV: A question about frigates (modern) (2)
  4. Msg to Silvio (Brazil) ~#
  5. Announcing a New List: H-RHETOR
  6. ADMIN: End of Semester Reminder
  7. EN: Arnhem
  8. Msg to Silvio (Brazil) ~# #

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Aug 1993 07:08:29 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 11 AUG 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCE
WEDNESDAY, 11 AUGUST 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-24, Douglas Dauntless
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-51, North American Mustang

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutian Islands, B-24's, B-25's, A-24's, and P-38's pound Kiska
Island targets in 11 attack missions; later, 10 reconnaissance, strafing
and photo missions to Kiska are flown by 3 P-38's, 26 P-40's, 4 F-5A's and
1 B-24. 9 B-24's from Attu Island drop bombs and incendiaries on Paramushi-
ru Island in the Kurile Islands, including Kashiwabara Airfield and Shimus-
hu Island where the Kataoka naval base and staging area are hit. 40 enemy
aircraft challenge the attackers, which score 4 confirmed kills, 1 proba-
ble, and 4 possibles.

  CANADA
    The Quebec Conference begins. President Franklin D Roosevelt and Prime
Minister Winston S Churchill discuss the entire spectrum of world opera-
tions and decide on the future action of Anglo-US armed forces.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force)
    The 76th Fighter Squadron, 23d Fighter Group, transfers from Lingling
to Hengyang, China with P-40's.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, 90+ B-25's bomb a bridge, roads, railway, and the city area
in and about Randazzo. About 170 P-40's hit Randazzo, shipping at Milazzo
and Messina, roads and trains near Messina, and troop movements and evacua-
tions in NE Sicily.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    In Italy, the Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) again hits
communications targets on the toe of Italy; B-17's hit the marshalling yard
at Terni, B-25's bomb the Angitola River bridges and B-26's and P-38's
attack a bridge at Cantanzaro. Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF)
fighter-bombers support the US Seventh Army's landing E of Orlando, Sicily
by attacking troop concentrations, gun positions, and communications lines
leading to the area.
    On the ground in Sicily, US Seventh Army forces take Naso and press
closer to Randazzo. Medium bombers support the British Eighth Army by
raiding the Fiumefreddo and Randazzo areas.
    The 111th Reconnaissance Squadron (Fighter), 68th Reconnaissance Group,
transfers from Gela to Termini, Sicily with P-51's. A detachment continues
to operate from Gela until Sep 43.
    The 341st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 97th Bombardment Group (Heavy),
transfers from Chateaudun-du-Rhumel, Algeria to Pont-du-Fahs, Tunisia with
B-17's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, 5 B-24's hit a supply area on the E side of
Suavanau Point, Santa Isabel Island and on Papatura Fa Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  A B-24 on armored reconnaissance sinks an enemy freighter NW of Kavieng
on New Ireland Island in the Bismarck Archipelago. The Second Air Task
Force completes a movement to Tsili Tsili Airfield, New Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Aug 1993 07:44:52 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Wewak Mission, Aug 43

The following is from the Air Force New Service.

AFNEWSIIOP082  KNOCKOUT AT WEWAK
BY K. DAVID HESKETT
AIR FORCE HISTORICAL RESEARCH AGENCY, MAXWELL AFB, ALA.
     An hour before midnight, 16 August, 1943, 50 B-24's from the U.S.
Fifth Air Force lumbered off airfields near Port Moresby, New Guinea.
Course:  north by northwest, over the rugged Owen Stanley Range.
Destination: four Japanese airfields at Wewak, 500-miles (800-km) away.
     For months the Allies had watched patiently as the Japanese built
up their air power in preparation for an offensive.  Unaware of our new
refueling strip at Tsili Tsili [200-miles (320-km) closer to Wewak],
the enemy felt safely out of range of fighter-supported bombers, and
complacently parked over 200 planes wingtip to wingtip.
     The target was ripe, and Lieutenant General George C. Kenney's
"kids" were eager for the task.  Kenney had formed the Fifth Air Force
out of dispirited units he called "the Goddamest mess you ever saw."
Faced by a numerically superior foe and constantly hampered by critical
shortages of planes, supplies and manpower, Kenney somehow managed to
reorganize and rearm his charge.  Infused with fresh fighting spirit,
the Fifth was earning a new name:  The "Flying Buccaneers."
     Shortly after 0000 hours, 17 August, the first "heavies" arrived,
dropping incendiary bombs to illuminate the target.  "Ken's Men"
[the 43d Bombardment Group (Heavy)] and "The Jolly Rogers" [90th
Bombardment Group (Heavy)] pressed the attack until 0300 hours.  The
U.S. Army Air Forces lost three bombers to anti-aircraft fire, but
accomplished the mission -- the Japanese airplanes were grounded and at
the mercy of a morning strike.
     Just after 0800 hours, 31 B-25 strafers from Dobodura and Port
Moresby roared in at tree level.  With their massed forward-firing guns
blazing, the "Grim Reapers" [3rd Bombardment Group (Medium)] and "Green
Dragons" [405th Bombardment Squadron (Medium)] raked the straight lines
of parked Japanese planes.  Surprised again, the enemy offered little
resistance.  As the Americans headed home, fires were visible
everywhere, mangled planes littered the runways and the "Grim Reapers"
had earned a Distinguished Unit Citation.  Eighty-five P-38s, their
range extended by refueling at Tsili Tsili, flew an uneventful escort
mission.
     On 18 August, bad weather hampered the "heavies," but 53 B-25s
fought through heavy anti-aircraft fire and enemy fighters to deliver
devastating strikes.  Despite flames bursting from the right wing of
his stricken B-25, Major Ralph Cheli tenaciously led his "Green Dragon"
flight through a punishing strafing and bombing attack.  Mission
completed, he turned command over to his wingman and crash-landed in
the ocean.  Cheli, with two crewmen, survived and was taken prisoner.
He died in captivity, but his heroism earned the Medal of Honor.  The
475th Fighter Group shot down 15 enemy fighters, earning a
Distinguished Unit Citation.
     Results:  More than 175 Japanese planes destroyed on the ground,
and at least 30 shot down.  Losses:  Five bombers and two fighters.
This two-day effort by Kenny's "Flying Buccaneers" left the Allies
virtually unchallenged in eastern New Guinea skies, set the stage for
the capture of Lae, and accelerated the pace of our advance toward
Japan.  (AFNS Features.)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Aug 1993 10:00:00 CDT
From:    Bill Kupersmith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NAV: A question about frigates (modern)

I don't think anyone noticed that the original posting
regarding these 60 knot frigates said that they may have
been built in Vermont.  It would be interesting to hear
just where on the Vermont seacoast the shipyard is located.
If these ships were launched on the Vermont coast, it would
not surprise me that they are capable of 60 knots.  Are
they called the Green Mountain class?

--Bill Kupersmith
University of Iowa (which really does look as if it had a
seacoast after the recent floods)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Aug 1993 13:42:21 BRA
From:    "Silvio E.G. Melo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Msg to Silvio (Brazil) ~#

     Helena

     Mas que surpresa. Eu fiquei muito contente em saber que existe outros bra-
sileiros interessados em Segunda Guerra Mundial.
     Antes de Mais nada, desculpe a demora em responder, pois estou fazendo mes
trado na UFRJ e como ja estou na fase de elaboracao da minha tese, estou vindo
so duas vezes por semana a mesma. Alias a meu endereco e': [email-masked]
     Quanto aos meus principais interesses sobre o assunto que nos une, eu diri
a que tudo me interessa em se tratando de WWII, porem meu principal interesse e
na area de estrategia militar.
     Eu e um grupo de amigos aqui no Brasil, formamos um grupo, que na sua maio
ria, tambem se interessa, pela segunda guerra. Alguns sao "historiadores amador
es", e temos um outro polo de interesse, que e a elaboracao (e utilizacao) de
wargames, baseados principalmente nas grandes campanhas da Segunda Guerra, sem
fins comerciais.
     Fugindo um pouco do assunto, so para melhor informacao. Sou Engenheiro Nav
al, formado pela UFRJ e atualmente estou fazendo mestrado na area de Estruturas
Oceanicas, sendo minha especialidade, modelacao estrutural.
     Bom por hora, vou ficar por aqui. Estarei de novo na UFRJ na Sexta Feira
(apesar do 13 de agosto).             Silvio. E.G. Melo

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Aug 1993 09:27:42 -0700
From:    H-Rhetor <[email-masked]>
Subject: Announcing a New List: H-RHETOR

============================
                        WELCOME TO H-RHETOR

                  History of Rhetoric Discussion List

(Please save this message for later reference.)

FORMAT
------
     H-RHETOR is moderated by Gary Hatch of Brigham Young
University ([email-masked]).  Posts to the list are collected by
the moderator and distributed in digests daily.  Announcements of
interest and notes from the moderator may be sent as
singular messages.

MISSION
-------
     H-RHETOR is an international electronic discussion
group based at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC).
H-RHETOR will provide a forum for scholars and teachers of
the history of rhetoric, writing, and communication.  There are no
geographical or chronological boundaries.

    Subscription is free; subscribers will automatically receive
messages in their computer mailboxes.  Messages can be saved,
discarded, printed out, duplicated, or relayed to someone
else.  It's like a newsletter that is free and published
daily.

    The primary purpose of H-RHETOR is to enable historians
to communicate current research and research interests; to
discuss new articles, books, papers, approaches, methods and
tools of analysis; and to test new ideas and share comments and
tips on teaching. H-RHETOR will have an editor and an editorial
board.

    H-RHETOR will try to stimulate dialogues in the discipline
among historians of rhetoric worldwide.  It will publish
syllabi, outlines, handouts, bibliographies, guides to
termpapers, listings of new sources and archives, and reports
on new software, datasets and cd-roms.  Subscribers will write
in with questions, comments, and reports. H-RHETOR will post
announcements of conferences, fellowships, and jobs. We expect
many messages at first will be of the "how can I do this with
my computer?" variety and also "where can I locate
such-and-such?"  Please send them in, for someone on the list
will be able to help. H-RHETOR will publish paper abstracts,
conference reports, and book reviews, but it will not be an electronic
journal.

SUBSCRIPTIONS
-------------
    To subscribe, send this email message via BITNET to
LISTSERV@uicvm:

      SUB H-RHETOR firstname surname school

      Example:  SUB H-RHETOR Gary Hatch Brigham Young Univ.

If you use Internet instead of Bitnet, the same message goes
to [email-masked].  Capital or lower case does not
matter, but spelling does; note spelling of LISTSERV. There
are no dues or fees of any kind. Subscribers only need an
address on Bitnet or Internet, which is often provided free to
faculty and students by campus computer centers (the
consultants there, or your departmental guru, can explain how
to send an e-mail message via Bitnet or Internet).

    Commercial email operations like CompuServe and America
OnLine have Internet connections from H-RHETOR to your mailbox.
PRODIGY currently lacks an Internet connection.  On
CompuServe, our address is:

                 INTERNET:[email-masked]

CANCELLING A SUBSCRIPTION
-------------------------
    To cancel your subscription, send this e-mail message via
BITNET to LISTSERV@uicvm:

           SIGNOFF H-RHETOR

If you use Internet instead of Bitnet, the same message goes
to [email-masked].

NOMAIL
------
    If you want to maintain your subscription but stop the flow of
messages temporarily, send this message via BITNET to LISTSERV@uicvm:

            SET H-RHETOR NOMAIL

To start the flow of messages after setting NOMAIL, send the
following message to LISTSERV@uicvm:

            SET H-RHETOR MAIL

If you use Internet instead of Bitnet, the same messages go to
[email-masked].  Please set NOMAIL if you will be away from
your computer for more than a few days; otherwise, the mail starts
piling up.

SPONSORSHIP
-----------
     H-RHETOR is sponsored by the H-Net project of the UIC
History Department, with support from the College and ACLS.
(Support from NEH is pending.) H-Net is a broad initiative to
establish electronic communications among historians and to
educate historians in the use of electronic media.  Gary L.
Hatch of Brigham Young University ([email-masked]) is the list
moderator; Professor Richard Jensen is the director of H-Net.
Write to Jensen anytime at u08946@uicvm for further
information about H-Net (or phone him at home at
615-552-9923).  H-Net serves as the education division of the
History Network, an organization established to coordinate the
efforts of historians in using Internet and Bitnet.  H-Net
sponsors other lists pitched to academics.  Find out more about
these lists by contacting Richard Jensen or Gary Hatch.

EDITORIAL BOARD
---------------
      Announcement of the H-RHETOR Editorial Board is
forthcoming.

Gary Hatch
Brigham Young University
English Department
3146 JKHB
Provo, UT  84602        (801) 378-2402
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Aug 1993 12:29:42 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: End of Semester Reminder

Hi, those of you who are leaving school or losing your net access for some
other reason are reminded to please unsubscribe from the list.  To do so
send

unsub wwii-l

in the body of e-mail to

[email-masked] or [email-masked]

or send a note to me and I'll do it for you.

TIA,
Larry J

#L.W. Jewell WWII-L Listowner [email-masked]
#"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
#"Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Aug 1993 14:23:12 -0500
From:    Glenn Millard <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NAV: A question about frigates (modern)

About the modern frigates:
  After I posted the original message, I got to see a post card from the
  Bath Iron Works. They are on the coast in Maine, sorry for the location
  error. They are noted for having one of the largest cranes on the
  east coast. As for the speed of the frigates and their stopping distances
  I think everyone aggrees that there has been some exaggeration here, to
  phrase it kindly. However the discussion on how to stop frigates fast
  has been interesting. I think my question about this has been answered.
  Its probably about time to discontinue the off-list subject matter.

  To continue on topic:
   I assume the Batch Iron Works has been in business for a while. Does
   anyone know if they were around in WWII and if so, did they work on
   any Navy ships then. I assume there is some way to trace who built
   what. You always hear statistics about various fighting groups and
   their records (ie. Divisions, bomber and fighter groups). Did anyone
   keep records about production by manufacturer, I've seen this for
   aircraft production. What about ship production?

Glenn Millard
Academic Support
Stephen F. Austin State University
Internet: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Aug 1993 21:40:50 +0100
From:    Richard Cummings <[email-masked]>
Subject: EN: Arnhem

I think some of you might finthese extracts interesting as well as
disrbing:g:

REUTER
Wednesday 11-Aug-93 06:18 AM

ARNHEM WAR GRAVES DAUBED WITH SWASTIKAS

    NIJMEGEN, Netherlands (Reuter) - Right-wing extremists have
desecrated more than 200 graves of allied soldiers who fell in
the Battle of Arnhem.
    Two hundred and forty three British, Canadian, French,
Polish and Belgian graves were daubed with swastikas, [NAZI]
slogans and racist grafitti, police said Wednesday.
    The Commonwealth War Graves Commision in Britain said the
incident at the graveyard in Nijmegen, near Arnhem, was the
worst of its kind for many years.
    Most of those buried in the Jonkerbosch cemetery were
British soldiers who fell in the ill-fated World War II raid on
the bridge at Arnhem recounted in the book and film ``A Bridge
Too Far.''
    A spokeswoman at the commission said the incident would not
interefere with an annual ceremony to commemorate the daring
operation code-named ``Market Garden.''
 REUTER

.

--==oo00oo==--
[email-masked]
RFE/RL Inc
Munich,Germany

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 Aug 1993 03:36:00 -0400
From:    "Helena M. Menezes 30935" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Msg to Silvio (Brazil) ~# #

          Hi Silvio,

          Sera que voce e o teu grupo conseguem me ajudar?

          Eu tambem "estudo" WWII como hobby. Acho um assunto deveras
          fascinante pois explica "o porque" das coisas que acontecem hoje
          em dia. Aproveitando a oportunidade...

                 Como voce sabe, um dos motivos que levaram o  Brasil a
          entrar na guerra foi o torpedeamento, pelos alemaes, de navios
          Brasileiros. Bem, eu sempre ouvi que "quem afundou os primeiros
          navios nao foram os alemaes, e sim os americanos." O que faz
          muito sentido pois todo mundo sabe que os aliados precisavam de
          bases no Nordeste do Brasil, e o Getulio nao estava muito animado
          em entrar em nenhuma guerra.
                 Para encurtar a estoria... Foram os alemaes mesmo. Depois
          de varios livros sobre a guerra no atlantico, U-Boots, e ate
          mesmo uma entrevista com o Dr. Ernst Frohn, do Instituto
          Historico Alemao, aqui em Washington, "descobri" no "National
          Archives" o microfilme do Log-book do U-432, o submarino que
          afundou respectivamente o "Buarque" (em 15fev42) e o "Olinda" (em
          18fev42). Bem, ate ai' nenhuma novidade. O "problema" e' que no
          depoimento da tripulacao do "Buarque" (ate' isso deu pra achar
          por aqui!) varios tripulantes, o comandante, inclusive, mencionam
          um aviao que sobrevoou o navio e soltou um sinal
          luminoso...(???!!)
          Atraves do adido naval brasileiro aqui em Washington, recebi, do
          Ministerio da Marinha do Brasil, a "Historia Naval Brasileira"
          (Quinto Volume - Tomo II, 1985) em que na pagina 342,
          2.paragrafo, linha 4, le-se: "Hoje, sabe-se que os alemaes tinham
          uma aeronave espia~, com base em territorio norte-americano, para
          guiar os submarinos."(!!!?????)
                 Voces sabem de alguma coisa sobre o assunto? Nunca
          encontrei NADA escrito sobre isto. Nem mesmo uma linha. Ja
          perguntei a uma porcao de historiadores. Nada. Deixei ate aqui
          nesta rede que so se fala de WWII. Nada. O pessoal achou o
          assunto tao fantastico (imagine um aviao alemao EM TERRITORIO
          AMERICANO, depois de 7 de Dezembro de 1941!) que nem se deu ao
          trabalho de investigar. Sera que o Ministerio da Marinha sabe
          alguma coisa que nem os gringos aqui sabem? E voces?

          Claudio Braga ([email-masked]@Internet)

          PS: Como eu te falei, pego tambem uma "carona" no endere@o da
          minha esposa: [email-masked]@Internet (Helena)

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 10 Aug 1993 to 11 Aug 1993
*************************************************