Subject: WWII-L Digest - 13 Aug 1993 to 14 Aug 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1993 00:00:47 -0400

There are 2 messages totalling 71 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. MISC:Patton Museum, Aberdeen Museum (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 14 Aug 1993 20:22:02 EDT
From:    Lowe Barrett MAJ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MISC:Patton Museum, Aberdeen Museum

>Kurt Luginbyhl   MNHAD007@SIVM__202-357-1955
>ADP,National Museum of Natural History
>Smithsonian Institution, Wash D.C._20560
>Is Knox still a Tank school?

Yes,  basic and advanced training for both Armor officers and enlisted
soldiers still occurs at Ft. Knox.

>And is it just for Officers?

No.  See above.

>Curious about the Army... My dad was Air Force.
>
Bear

Barrett F. Lowe                    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
MAJ, IN
Dept of Physics, US Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 14 Aug 1993 20:35:15 +0100
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MISC:Patton Museum, Aberdeen Museum

> Donald,
>
>
> >        Can someone please tell me where the George S. Patton Jr Museum is?
>
> It is located at Ft. Knox, Kentucky (near Elizabethtown, KY, soutwest of
> Louisville)
>
> >I don't even know if it is in this country.  I was also wondering if someone
> >could tell me a little about the Aberdeen proving grounds and Ordinance
> >Museum.
>
> Co-located with Edgewood Arsenal in Maryland, south of Baltimore, along the
> Chesapeake Bay
>
> Barrett F. Lowe                    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
                      (only after they orient their maps :-))
> MAJ, IN
> Dept of Physics, US Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996

Bear you just got an F- in map reading. Aberdeen is  about 20 miles North of
Baltimore just off of I-95. It is open every day but monday. and has a
FANTASTIC collection of armor, all sitting outdoors with very little
protection. Some of the WW@ German stuff is literally cut open ( It looks
just like the cut-away drawings in the books:-)).  The inside collection of
small arms, munitions, testing parephanalia is very good also. On one of the
main roads on post they have the 'mile of tanks' which is a history of US
armor in order.  If you enter from I-95 ( the main Interstate Highway up the
east coast) it is well marked. The local town is also Aberdeen ( Home of
Cal Ripken of baseball fame also).

About 20 years ago I got to go on bus tour of the testing area on Armed Forces
day. I'm going to have to ask an e-mail contact I have who works at the Proving
Ground if they still do that. It was very interesting they had a Tank on the
Hill, the Mud Bog and I think the washboard road. Also got to see the ballistic
test ranges and other things I only vaguely remember.

Bob Smart ([email-masked])

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 13 Aug 1993 to 14 Aug 1993
*************************************************