Subject: WWII-L Digest - 30 Aug 1993 to 31 Aug 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1993 00:01:14 -0400

There are 16 messages totalling 618 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Carpetbaggers info
  2. USAAF 31 AUG 43
  3. WANT: Good maps (3)
  4. INF (2)
  5. WANT:good maps
  6. WANT:Good Maps
  7. Ryan Collection
  8. introduction (2)
  9. INF: WWII Diplomatic and Policy file at Byrd. (2)
 10. WANT: airplane information (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 00:08:31 -0400
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Carpetbaggers info

This is in response to the 27 August post from Thomas F. McGuire
requesting information on the "Carpetbaggers", the special
operations group attached to the USAAF 8th AF.  I thought the
information might be of general interest to the list.
This is straight from Roger Freeman's book "The Mighty Eighth".

In Nov. 1943 two units formed to undertake delivery of supplies
to resistance forces in occupied territory.  Squadrons of the
disbanded 479th Anti-Sub Group provided the nucleus for these
new units.  Assigned to the 8th AF on 11 Nov. 43 and 4 Dec. 43,
the 36th BS and the 406th BS were activated at Alconbury.

Equipped with B-24D on which only tail turret armament retained.
First sorties from Temsford under RAF guidance in Jan. 44.
Prior to formation as 801st BG (Provisional) on 28 Mar 44, the two
squadrons flew 63 credit sorties, delivering 153 tons of supplies.
Agents carried and parachuted from April 44.

788th BS and 850th BS arrived from 2nd BD on 11 May 44 with B-24H,
raising total a/c strength from about 20 up to about 40 aircraft.
Operations almost entirely over occupied France and the low countries
until Aug 44.  Also operated 4 C-47s Jul-Aug 44, making landings in
occupied territory.

Redesignated as the 492nd BG on 13 Aug 44, with the squadrons being
renumbered as 856th, 857th, 858th, 859th BS.  The original 492nd BG,
with the same squadron numbers, was assigned to the 8th AF in Apr 44,
flying their first mission on 11 May.  In three months combat, the
group was decimated, suffering the heaviest losses of any B-24 group.
Essentially, the group was disbanded, with survivors being reassigned
to other groups.  The 801st BG (P) was then redesignated as 492nd BG.

Full scale operations for the Carpetbaggers ceased after the night
of 16-17 Sept 44, switching to flying in fuel and oil to Allied ground
forces, eventually delivering 750,000 gallons.  The 856th BS was
retained for limited Carpetbagger ops. over Netherlands, Norway, and
Denmark, operating from Sept 44-Mar 45 under direct control of
8th AF HQ.

The 859th BS was sent to Italy on detached service on 17 Dec 44,
and did not return, being assigned to the 15th AF on 23 Jan 45.

The remaining two squadrons, the 857th and 858th, commenced night
bombing sorties from Dec 44, but 857th a/c and personnel were soon
transferred to other units and the squadron number alloted to the
1st Scouting Force at Bassingbourn on 12 Mar 45.  During the
winter of 44-45 21 night bombing missions were undertaken.

The 856th BS was returned to the 492nd BG on 14 Mar 45, and on
19 March, detachments of both 856th and 858th BS were sent to
Dijon, France, for operations over Germany.  82 agents with radios
were parachuted into Germany.  Their transmissions were received
and recorded by Mosquitos assigned to the 856th BS.  These ops
were conducted under the code names Red Stocking (40 sorties) and
Skywave (6 sorties).  The Group's last mission was flown on 26 April.

The Group lost 24 B-24s and 1 A-26 in Carpetbagging, and one B-24
on a fuel trucking mission.  They were credited with 2809 sorties,
and won a Distinguished Unit Citation for their operations from
20 Mar-25 April 45.

The Group was redeployed to the USA in Jun-Jul 45 in New Mexico for
training as a Very Heavy BG (B-29s), but project not proceeded
with and the Group was inactivated on 17 Oct 45.

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 06:58:34 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 31 AUG 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 31 AUGUST 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (AAF Antisubmarine Command): The 11th Antisubmarine
Squadron (Heavy), 25th Antisubmarine Wing, based at Ft Dix Army Airfield,
New Jersey with B-24's, ceases flying ASW missions.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In French Indochina, 7 B-24's bomb Gia Lam
Airfield; and 22 P-40's and 2 P-38's bomb a dike near Co Bi barracks. 6
B-25's hit Ichang Airfield, China while 3 others attack an oil storage area
to the E; P-40's also hit the oil stores. 3 P-40's claim heavy damage to a
freighter off Stonecutter's Island near Hong Kong. In China, 4 P-38's
dive-bomb Yoyang railroad yards and Sinti warehouses; a P-38 is shot down
by ground fire.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): VIII Bomber Command Mission 88:
Two aviation locations in France are targetted:
  1. 170 B-17's are dispatched to Amiens/Glisy Airfield; 105 hit the target
at 1807-1824 hours; they claim 5-1-3 Luftwaffe aircraft; 3 B-17's are lost,
1 is damaged beyond repair and 35 damaged; casualties are 5 KIA, 8 WIA and
33 MIA.
  2. 149 B-17's are dispatched to the aircraft plant at Meulan; the plant
is cloud covered and 1 B-17 hits a railway NE of Rouen; 19 B-17s are
damaged; casualties are 1 WIA.
  These missions are escorted by 160 P-47's which claim 2-1-1 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 2 P-47's are lost and both pilots are listed as MIA.
  VIII Air Support Command Missions 41 and 42: 216 B-26's are dispatched to
Rouen and Mazingarbe power stations; Poix/Nord and Lille/Nord Airfields;
and the Hesdin  fuel dump; 104 hit the targets; 1 B-26 is lost and 13
damaged; casualties are 5 WIA and 6 MIA.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force): B-24's bomb the marshalling yard
at Pescara, Italy; they claim 9 enemy fighters destroyed.
  The 66th and 68th Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 44th Bombardment Group
(Heavy), that have been operating from Benina, Libya with B-24's since Jun,
return to their base at Shipdham, England.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force): In Italy, about 150
Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's blast the Pisa marshal-
ling yard, doing a large amount of damage; Northwest African Tactical Air
Force (NATAF) medium and light bombers bomb the Cosenza marshalling yard and
road-railway junction in Cantanzaro during the morning, and in the after-
noon bomb the area around Cosenza when clouds prevent hitting specific tar-
gets; fighter-bombers hit Sapri railroad and seaplane base; and during the
night light bombers hit the bivouac areas SE of Reggio di Calabria.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, P-40's, in a running battle over Vella Lavella Island, claim 5 Japa-
nese airplanes shot down; other P-40's strafe barges in Timbala Bay on
Vella Lavella Island. 22 B-25's and 50 US Navy airplanes bomb gun positions
and the radio station at Vila on Kolombangara Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): Bombers fly
scattered strikes against shipping and shore targets in the Saint George
Channel between New Ireland and New Britain Islands and in the Netherlands
East Indies.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 07:10:00 -0400
From:    Kevin Kamphaus <[email-masked]>
Subject: WANT: Good maps

I am looking for recommendations for a good book of maps showing troop movements
with as much detail as possible.

Thanks,
Kevin Kamphaus
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 08:55:12 -0500
From:    "Sidney W. Kitchel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WANT: Good maps

Kevin Kamphaus writes:
|->
|-> I am looking for recommendations for a good book of maps showing troop movements
|-> with as much detail as possible.

        How much detail is OK? I get a lot of mileage from _The West
Point Atlas of U.S. Wars_ (title is approx.). It is a two volume
edition that is oversize. It provides quite a bit of military history
in two volumes. Of course, it does have drawbacks: 1) it centers on
U.S. action and 2) it attempts coverage quite a bit greater than WWII.

                                                        --Sid
--
Sidney W. Kitchel           [email-masked], [email-masked]
Data Parallel Systems, Inc.  ============||  DPSI  ||===============
4617 E. Morningside Drive                             (812) 334-8100
Bloomington, Indiana,  47408  USA               FAX:  (812) 334-8121

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 09:29:24 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WANT: Good maps

Sydney mentioned The West Point Military History Series Maps and their
drawbacks. I have them and

War Maps, WORLD WAR II: A Comphrehensive Atlas from September 1939 to
August 1945, Air, Sea and Land, Battle by Battle, Simon Goodenough,
New York: St. Martin's Press, 1982.

If you're not interested in specific unit movements, ie. strategic vs.
tactical, check this one out (in other words, it has the names of the
units, not those little rectangles that make a battlion look like an
army group :-). I've copied a few of the maps from here for use in the
class room. Many are in color and provide terrain and elevation information
where it's important.

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 11:38:25 -0400
From:    Warren Thompson <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF

Seeking biographical information on a German general (regular army or
possibly Waffen-SS), last name BEITEL. Can anyone help?

                        -- Warren Thompson
                           LEBANON VALLEY COLLEGE
                           Annville PA 17003

                                [717] 867-6133.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 12:26:31 -0400
From:    Cagan Gurer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WANT:good maps

Try Michael Freeman's "ATLAS OF NAZI GERMANY". It contains detailed maps of
not only troop movements but also economical and industrial maps.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 12:34:19 -0400
From:    Cagan Gurer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WANT:Good Maps

You can also try Paul Carell's "Hitler Moves East 1941-1943" It is a
historical novel which includes excellent maps of Operation Barbarossa.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 14:44:40 EDT
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ryan Collection

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  31-Aug-1993 02:44pm EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Ryan Collection

    Hello everyone.  I'm new to the List and, though I certainly plan to
    jump into discussions as I can, I thought my first post ought to be a
    FYI kind of thing (and an advertisement for my employer).
    _________________________________________________________

    The Cornelius Ryan Collection contains the papers, research materials,
    and library of the writer Cornelius Ryan who wrote _The Longest Day_,
    _A Bridge Too Far_, and _The Last Battle_.  The collection is housed at
    Ohio University's Alden Library in Athens, Ohio.

    "The Ryan Collection consists of material relating to World War II,
    European Theater of Operations, in the form of his research papers and
    files for his three basic books....  There are personal files for 3,072
    individuals, both military and civilian participants of the battles,
    containing 2,551 questionnaires, 955 interviews, and numerous letters,
    diaries, accounts, and observations.  In addition, there are 166 audio
    recordings of interviews Ryan considered especially important.  Of
    particular note among the interviews are those with Prince Bernhard of
    the Netherlands, President Eisenhower, and General Simpson, all from
    1963.

    "In addition to the personal files, there are numerous newspaper and
    magazine articles and book excerpts dealing with the battles.  Ryan
    also collected military documents of all types: combat interviews and
    after-action reports, war diaries, message files and logs, strategic
    and tactical analyses, maps, and unit histories from all national
    forces involved.  Of particular note among the military documents are
    war diaries and message logs of the major German commands from all
    three battles and accounts, interrogations and unit histories from the
    moscow Archives concerning the storming of Berlin.  The bulk of the
    German documents had not been consulted by any researcher prior to Ryan
    and, in the case of the Russian documents, no one else [Westerner] has
    ever been allowed access to the Moscow Archives.

    "There are in excess of 1900 original photographs in the files,
    collected from various national archives and private individuals, the
    vast majority of which are unpublished.

    "The remainder of the Ryan Collection deals with his journalistic
    productions...."

    "Any qualified researcher [that means anyone] may examine any materials
    in the collection, subject to the rules and regulations of the Ohio
    University Library....  Researchers are requested to cite collection
    name, collection number, and Ohio University in all footnotes and
    bibliographical references.  [from the Scope and Content portion of the
    Collection Description]  The Finding Aid fills three three-ring binders
    and covers the collection down to the folder level.  We charge $.10 per
    xcopy.  Charges for research help and other services are available upon
    request.  A microfiche set of the entire collection is available at the
    Normandy Museum in Caen, France.

    The collection also includes Ryan's entire personal library which runs
    up to the year of his death in 1974.  Some items have been added over
    the years as suppliments.  (Two maps, Omaha Beach left and Omaha right,
    came in last year from an OU alum.  They show the shore, beach, and
    back beach plus sub photos, tides, moon and sun cycles, beach
    gradients, and water depths.  They are labeled "Top Secret - BIGOT.)  A
    room dedicated to the collection is a part of the Archives and displays
    pieces of the collection along with memorbelia including a large wall
    map of Normandy with Ryan's grease-pencil notations dealing with the 24
    hours of D-Day.

    The files contain hundreds of stories from individuals which were
    edited down by Ryan to use in his books or were never used.  (Recently
    found in a file were photo negs of shots of one of the London Fire
    Company's extended ladders rigged with BARs to support the Pointe du
    Hoc attack and two shots of troops on Omaha Beach, probably taken early
    in the landing.  None of these photos were known to have existed, as
    far a I know.)

    Anyone interested in more information about the collection can contact
    me at the addresses below.  Anyone wishing to forward this post to
    other Lists or individuals is more than welcome to do so.

    Doug McCabe
    University Records Manager
    Alden Library
    Ohio University
    Athens, OH 45701

    Phone: (614) 593-2715
    E-Mail: [email-masked]
    FAX: (614) 593-2959

Received:  31-Aug-1993 02:44pm

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 13:46:55 GMT+6
From:    "Neil G. Sapper" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF

Contact [email-masked]. Terry Moore has one of the largest
collections of autographs/photos of German winners of the Iron Cross in
existence. Moore's direct dial number at Amarillo College is 806/371-5077
(Department of Modern Languages.)

Neil Sapper - Amarillo College - P. O. Box 447 - Amarillo, TX 79178-0001 Voice: 806/371-5416 - Fax: 806/371-5470
"Youneverknow." - Joaquin Andujar ("One Tough Dominican")
B. 12/21/52 - San Pedro de Macoris, D.R. - Pitcher - Batted-Both
(Batted left only against certain pitchers and only with men on
base.) Threw-Right 127W 118L 3.59 ERA .129 BA

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 14:21:26 GMT+6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: introduction

Hello! My name is Terry Moore. I teach German and French, but I have
a great interest in the history of WWII. Since 1978, I have been
collecting autographed pix of former soldiers who have fought in WWI,
WWII and the Korean Conflict, but the thrust is of WWII with emphasis
on the German participation.
My personal library consists of around 1200 volumes dealing with
all aspects of the Second World War.
I have personally interviewed several high-ranking officers who
served in the German military during the war. I have talked with
Admiral Karl Doenitz, when he was alive. Also General Hellmuth
Reymann, the next to the last battle commandant of Berlin before it
surrendered to the Russians. SS-Standartenfuehrer Johann Muehlenkamp,
the last inspector general of tanks for the Waffen-SS.
This is simply to inform you of my background and interest in this
subject. If anyone needs additional information, or if I can be of
service to anyone at any time, I am available. Is there anyone who
also collects such autographed pictures of wartime service people?

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 14:46:50 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: WWII Diplomatic and Policy file at Byrd.

This is a listing of the files contained in WWII-POL.txt, available
from

byrd.mu.wvnet.edu
/pub/history/wwii

The individual files for these documents will remain available in that
directory. The compilation is intended to assist in downloading and
searching.

A .zip file with the same name is available for those who wish
to speedup the download. The text file is 220K and the .zip file is 74K.

The contents of wwii_pol.txt:

SOME DOCUMENTS RELEVANT TO GERMANY'S INVASION OF POLAND AND
RESPONSE TO GREAT BRITAIN'S ULTIMATUM.

SOME DOCUMENTS RELEVANT TO GREAT BRITAIN'S RESPONSE TO GERMANY'S
INVASION OF POLAND.

SOME DOCUMENTS RELEVANT TO FRANCE'S RESPONSE TO GERMANY'S
INVASION OF POLAND.

SOME DOCUMENTS RELEVANT TO THE ALLIANCE OF GERMANY, JAPAN, AND
ITALY DURING WORLD WAR II.

DOCUMENTS RELATING TO THE PARTITION OF POLAND BY GERMANY AND THE
SOVIET UNION.

SOVIET-JAPANESE NEUTRALITY AND DENUNCIATION.

THE ATLANTIC CHARTER

President Roosevelt's Address to Congress and Congressional
Declaration of War on Japan.

President Roosevelt's Address to Congress and Congressional
Declaration of War on Germany

President Roosevelt's public statement regarding his conference
at Casablanca with Winston Churchill.

F. D. ROOSEVELT'S STATEMENT ON NORTH AFRICAN POLICY

MOSCOW CONFERENCE, October, 1943

YALTA (CRIMEA) CONFERENCE, February, 1945

THE GERMAN SURRENDER DOCUMENTS - WWII:

THE JAPANESE SURRENDER DOCUMENTS - WWII:

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 15:49:54 -0400
From:    Cagan Gurer <[email-masked]>
Subject: WANT: airplane information

I need very detailed information on Spitfire Supermarine and Me-109.
If I could find a comparassion of these two I would be very glad.Thanx!!

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 15:10:08 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: WWII Diplomatic and Policy file at Byrd.

>
> This is a listing of the files contained in WWII-POL.txt, available
> from
>
> byrd.mu.wvnet.edu
> /pub/history/wwii (incorrect)
  /pub/history/military/wwii (correct)

Pardon the goof.

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 15:29:57 -0500
From:    WILLIAM HUBER - SCDR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: introduction

In your message of 31 Aug 1993 at 1424 CDT, you write:

> ..... If anyone needs additional information, or if I can be of
> service to anyone at any time, I am available. Is there anyone who
> also collects such autographed pictures of wartime service people?

Hi Terry,

You asked about collectors, well, I collect a wide range of items
dealing with the Third Reich.  My first love is uniforms but I also
collect just about everything else too.  I have a modest photo
collection but they are mostly illustrative of uniform details as I
have aspirations of writing a series of uniform references one day
using my own collection for illustrations.  Currently my collection
contains about 200 tunics, overcoats, brownshirts etc from all
branches of the German military and NSDAP.  It hardly scratches the
surface of what is needed for an undertaking of this sort but its a
good start.

Currently I am putting together material for a book on the Blood
Order (Blut Orden aka Ehrenzeichen von 8/9 November 1923).  The medal
was first awarded to those who participated in the ill-fated 1923
attempt by Hitler to overthrow the Bavarian Govt. in Munich.  About
1,500 of the medals were struck and awarded in 1934/5 to commemorate
the event and I am trying to track down data for a biographical sketch
of as many of these men (and one woman) as possible.  I would like to
include a photo with each bio.

I am currently looking for a nice portrait type photo of Generaloberst
(US 4-star equiv) Erhard Raus.  I am fortunate enough to have his
uniform in my collection.   I would also like to have a photo of
Hermann Go"ring wearing his visor hat as leader of the German Yachting
Club as well as a photo of Luftwaffe Generalmajor (US 1-star equiv)
Dr. Manfred Roeder.  Roeder was a military lawyer.

For my own research, I am looking for rank lists (Ranglisten &
Dienstalterlisten) for all organizations of the Reich both political
and military.  I have a few now but there are many holes in my
library.  I am answering this to the list in case others may be of
some help in my various projects.  ANY help is tremendously appreciated
and if I can be of any service to anyone, please don't hesitate to
drop me an e-mail.

I am also looking for any copy of the _Fu"hrerlexikon_ for any year.
The only one I have been able to locate is in the Library of Congress.
They are not THAT rare, I just haven't been able to come up with one!
I also collect WWII German newspapers.  If anybody knows of a
repository of this type of material I would sure love to hear about
it.

> Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
> P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
> fax 806-371-5370
>

Thanks a bunch,

Bill Huber  researcher/historian/collector/computer weasel
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 1993 18:18:51 EDT
From:    Robert E George <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WANT: airplane information

>
> I need very detailed information on Spitfire Supermarine and Me-109.
> If I could find a comparassion of these two I would be very glad.Thanx!!
>

     Title                                             Author

Warplanes of the Third Reich.                         William Green

Famous Fighters of the 2nd World  War                 William Green

Fighter                                               Len Deighton

The last is highly-recommended for the comparative aspect.

Try to find Johnie [sp?] Johnson's autobiography as well. He was a
very successful British fighter pilot.

Hope this helps,
Rob George

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 30 Aug 1993 to 31 Aug 1993
*************************************************