Subject: WWII-L Digest - 27 Aug 1993 to 28 Aug 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1993 00:00:34 -0400

There are 6 messages totalling 318 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Firebombing of Japanese cities
  2. Why Turkey neutral?
  3. Internet Survey
  4. reply to America's Secret War in Europe book request.
  5. MacArthur's vindictiveness? (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Aug 1993 13:08:21 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Firebombing of Japanese cities

During my interview of Roman Pucinski -- who was the Katyn Select Congres-
  sional Committee's Chief Investigator -- he mentioned that he had been a
  B-29 bombardier.  He said that they would forewarn 12 Japanese cities at
  a time  of possible attack, and then attack the selected targets of them.

This seems to be a satisfactory "fair warning."  Has anyone else heard of
  this practice?

Lou Coatney, WIU

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Aug 1993 13:23:54 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Why Turkey neutral?

'Probably because it had believed in the Germans during WW I and lost
  (territory, wealth, etc.) bigtime.

Lou Coatney, WIU

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Aug 1993 16:08:12 -0400
From:    James Herchek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Internet Survey

                              INTERNET SURVEY

                     Adele F. Bane <[email-masked]>
                 William D. Milheim <[email-masked]>
              The Pennsylvania State University at Great Valley
________________________________________________________________________________
This electronic mail survey is being conducted to identify the functions of the
Internet that are most used by the academic community.  You have been chosen as
a member of a selected academic list service (LISTSERV) to participate.
Results of this survey will form the basis of a journal article to be published
later this year.  Please answer all survey questions.
________________________________________________________________________________

INTERNET INSIGHTS:  A Survey

We will begin by asking a few questions about yourself:

        How many years of computer experience do you have?      _7
__
        How long have you used e-mail of any type?              __2
_
        How long have you been an Internet user?                _2
__

Three primary functions of the Internet have been identified.  They are
electronic mail, Telnet or remote log-in, and FTP or file transfer.  An
estimated 15 million users take advantage of these functions daily.
This survey explores the use of each of these services.

1.  E-Mail Use:  How often do you make these connections?

           (Insert the appropriate number beside items below:)

        1=Not at all                    4=About 2-3 times a month
        2=A few times                   5=Once a week
        3=About once a month            6=More than once a week

                Private Email:                                  __6__

                Discussion group(s):                            ___2_
                        (Specify)

                Usenet (or Netnews)                             ____2

                Electronic journal(s)/newsletters(s):           ____2
                        (Specify)

2.  Telnet Use:  How often do you connect to remote databases?

           (Insert appropriate number beside items below.)

        1=Not at all                    4=About 2-3 times a month
        2=A few times                   5=Once a week
        3=About once a month            6=More than once a week

                Games/Simulations:              _1__
                Library Catalogs:               ___1_
        .       Specialized Databases:          ___1_

2a.  How frequently do you connect these Internet sources:

           (Insert appropriate number beside items below.)

        1=Not at all                    4=About 2-3 times a month
        2=A few times                   5=Once a week
        3=About once a month            6=More than once a week

                American Mathematical Society BBS               __1__
                American Psychological Assn.                    __1__
                CARL                                            __2__
                CITADEL                                         __1__
                Cleveland FreeNet                               __6__
                Dartmouth Dante                                 __1__
                Dialog                                          __1__
                Dow-Jones News Retrieval                        __1__
                Dranet                                          __1__
                EDIN                                            __1__
                EPA                                             __1__
                ERIC                                            __1__
                FEDIX/MOLIS                                     __1__
                GenBank                                         __1__
                Geographic Name Server                          __1__
                International Centre for Distance Learning      __1__
                ISAAC                                           __1__
                Lexis                                           __1__
                Market/Business Report                          __1__
                National Education BBS                          __1__
                Netfind                                         __1__
                Nexis                                           __1__
                Oceanic Information Center                      __1__
                OCLC                                            __1__
                PENpages                                        __1__
                RLIN                                            __1__
                SpaceLink                                       __2__
                STIS                                            __1__
                TC Forum                                        __1__
                Weather Underground                             __2__
                Webster Dictionary                              __1__

                Other  (Please specify):

3.  FTP Use:  How often do you download files from FTP archive sites?

           (Insert appropriate number beside each item)

        1=Not at all                    4=About 2-3 times a month
        2=A few times                   5=Once a week
        3=About once a month            6=More than once a week

                Computers and Academic Freedom                  __1__
                EASI                                            __1__
                History                                         __1__
                LIBSOFT                                         __1__
                Lyric and Discography                           __1__
                NASA                                            __1__
                Online Libraries Directory                      __1__
                Science Education                               __1__
                SIMTEL20                                        __1__
                SUMEX-AIM                                       __1__
                U.S. Supreme Court Decisions                    __1__
                Washington Uni. Public Domain Archives          __1__

                Other (Please Specify):

4.      Several navigational aids have been developed for the Internet.
        How often do you use these network guides?

           (Insert appropriate number beside items below.)

        1=Not at all                    4=About 2-3 times a month
        2=A few times                   5=Once a week
        3=About once a month            6=More than once a week

                Archie                                          __1__
                Campus-wide Information Systems                 __1__
                Gopher                                          __1__
                WAIS (Wide-area information servers)            __1__
                WWW (WorldWideWeb)                              __1__
                Veronica                                        __1__
                HYTELNET                                        __1__
                Other (Please specify):

Personal experiences can be the most helpful to other users.  Please comment on
the following:

5.      The importance of the Internet to your work?

      I can talk to people almost anywhere in the world.

6.      Advantages the Internet offers over other resources?

              ???

7.      Barriers to using the Internet?

              None that I know of

8.      Your most memorable use of the Internet?

         My discussion's with foreign users

9  These questions will help us interpret the results of this study:

        Title:         Harry Herchek
        Affiliation:   none
        Discipline:  ___________________________________
        Research Interest(s):History / WW2
        _________________________________________________________

Please return the completed survey to: [email-masked]
by September 3, 1993.

If you would like a summary of the survey results, please place your
e-mail address here:  _____________________.

            :) Thank you for taking the time to participate :)

--
******************************************************************************
                James Herchek /\/\ [email-masked].
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Aug 1993 18:57:45 -0400
From:    Cagan Gurer <[email-masked]>
Subject: reply to America's Secret War in Europe book request.

I looked for your book in almost all of the universities of Ohio through
Ohiolink which connects the libraries of Ohio; however there is no such
writer called Ben Parnell in any of the universities. Even Ohio State
University does not have it which has an enormous library. Sorry!!!!!

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Aug 1993 19:20:10 EDT
From:    Robert E George <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MacArthur's vindictiveness?

Lou writes:
>
> Lee,
>
>      Regarding MacArthur's vindictiveness against Wainwright, my impres-
> sion is that that had disappeared by Tokyo Bay (1945).  MacArthur WAS a
> fine military leader and strategist who occasionally succumbed to self-
> exaltation(/-exoneration), but he was also a very EMOTIONAL person who
> could lose it from time to time.
>
>      He seems to have been as egotistical as DeGaulle, but somewhat more
> human.
>
>      Others' assessments?

     To me, MacArthur lived by the old saying "All the world's a stage."
It often seems that he approached life as if it were only a play, and
as if the other human beings were only "characters" rather than autonomous
entities.
     Why do I feel this way?
     (1) MacArthur's acts of heroism, which were sometimes extremely
dangerous out of all proportion to their potential benefits (a theatre
C-in-C should seldom risk his life);
     (2) His monomania (he regarded the SW Pacific area as "his"; the
Marine unit there was "his" Marine division);
     (3) His love of publicity.

     MacArthur also seems to have felt that some great "script" had
defined him as the "star" of the 20th century (hence his confidence
that he could defend the Philippines against Japanese attack, in the
face of clear facts).

     I don't wish to downgrade MacArthur's  military competence, or
his achievements in postwar Japan. But he does seem to me to have been
a man oddly "insensitive" to others, as if they weren't fully "real";
in other words, as if they only characters in a play of which he was
the star.
> Lou Coatney, WIU

Rob George

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 29 Aug 1993 00:29:50 +0100
From:    Tom Holloway <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MacArthur's vindictiveness?

>      MacArthur also seems to have felt that some great "script" had
> defined him as the "star" of the 20th century (hence his confidence
> that he could defend the Philippines against Japanese attack, in the
> face of clear facts).
>
>      I don't wish to downgrade MacArthur's  military competence, or
> his achievements in postwar Japan. But he does seem to me to have been
> a man oddly "insensitive" to others, as if they weren't fully "real";
> in other words, as if they only characters in a play of which he was
> the star.
> >

Rob - many people have said the same about Churchill, and
by coincidence I've almost finished 'One Hundred Days', which
is the story of Napoleon Bonaparte's escape from Elba ending
in his defeat at the Battle of Waterloo.  One gets exactly that
same sense of 'theatrical destiny'.

I think it's related to Lord Acton's dictum... "power corrupts,
absolute power corrupts absolutely".

+--------------------------+
! Tom Holloway             !
! [email-masked] !
+--------------------------+

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 27 Aug 1993 to 28 Aug 1993
*************************************************