Subject: WWII-L Digest - 8 Aug 1993 to 9 Aug 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 00:00:59 -0400

There are 3 messages totalling 206 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 9 AUG 43
  2. AirLifeLine
  3. Msg to Silvio (Brazil) ~#

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 9 Aug 1993 07:17:19 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 9 AUG 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 9 AUGUST 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-40, Curtiss

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force)
    In the Aleutian Islands, 1 B-24 flies photo reconnaissance over various
Kiska Island sites.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force)
    VIII Air Support Command Missions 16A and 16B: 72 B-26's are dispatched
to the St Omer/Ft Rouge Airfield in France; clouds prevent bombing and only
1 aircraft hits the target at 1904 hours; 11 aircraft are damaged and 6 men
are WIA.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Ninth Air Force)
    In Sicily, B-25's hit Divieto and a nearby tunnel W of Spadafora San
Martino, and attack special points in the battle area of NE Sicily; P-40's
hit shipping at Messina, Milazzo, and Palmi.

  WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Northwest African Air Force)
    Northwest African Strategic Air Force (NASAF) B-17's bomb crossroads N
of Messina, Sicily. In Italy, B-25's hit Cantanzaro and Soverato River
bridges, B-26's attack Angitola River bridges, P-40's sweep over S Sardi-
nia, and P-38's hit a lighthouse and other targets of opportunity in S
Italy. In Sicily, Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) bombers hit
the Gesso road junction; fighters concentrate on highways and junctions and
also hit rail sidings and gun positions in areas around Linguaglossa, Flo-
resta, Falcone, Patti, Orlando, Novara di Sicilia, and Milazzo.
    On the ground in Sicily, US troops reach Torrenuovo, and, to the S,
drive the enemy back to the Simeto River between Cesaro and Randazzo.
    HQ 47th Bombardment Group (Light) transfers from Malta to Torrente
Comunelli, Sicily.
    The 446th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 321st Bombardment Group
(Medium), transfers with B-25's from Souk-el-Arba to Soliman, Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force)
  In the Solomon Islands, 1O B-25's, with fighter cover, bomb Vila on
Kolombangara Island. Shortly thereafter 22 B-24's strike the same target.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force)
  In New Guinea, B-17's, B-24's, and B-25's bomb Salamaua, Lae, Nuk Nuk,
Samoa Harbor at the mouth of the Francisco River, a barge near Reiss Point,
and bridges on the Bogadjim-Ramu road. Barges and machinegun positions along
Borgen Bay on New Britain Island, installations at Unea Island in the
Bismarck Archipelago, and targets of opportunity at Alilit in the Moluccas
Islands are bombed. Amboina Island, in the Moluccas Islands is thoroughly
pounded.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 9 Aug 1993 12:36:54 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: AirLifeLine

Larry,
I know this does not belong in this group however, (1) there are a
few pilots and/or friends of pilots reading this and (2) it's nice
to see an uplifting news item instead of all the stuff we read
about and see on TV.

The following Ann Landers column appeared in my local newspaper on Monday,
August 2, 1993.  For those of you unfamiliar with Ann Landers, she writes a
syndicated newspaper column giving advise on various subjects to people who
write her with a problem.  I thought this one would be of particular
interest to the aviation community especially in the U.S.

               AirLifeLine: free air travel for patients

"Dear Ann Landers:  As a former B-52 navigator and now a private pilot,
I love flying.  In early 1992, I heard of an organization called
AirLifeLine.  This is a group of volunteer pilots from around the nation
who donate their time, skills, planes and fuel to provide free air
transportation to ambulatory medical patients.

"I received the first call from AirLifeLine two months after placing myself
on its roster.  A 17-year-old cancer patient's condition had worsened, and
he had to go to San Francisco for treatment immediately.  'Jack' lived in
an isolated part of Northern California.  He was too sick to take an
eight-hour bus ride and couldn't afford an airline ticket.

"Nothing prepared me for what ran through my head when I saw this kid.  My
first thought was, 'How in the world am I going to fit that wheelchair into
my plane?'  I was also a little annoyed because Jack seemed to have an
'attitude' and made some belittling comments about my 'bug-smasher.'

"I finally realized that Jack didn't have an attitude--he was just plain
scared.  I gave him a headset so we could talk without shouting and asked
him to help me by looking up radio frequencies and taxiway signposts.  He
stopped being an ambulance passenger and became a crew member.

"Although the flying was pretty routine, I felt different.  In fact, I felt
terrific.  I have never experienced such an overwhelming sense of
accomplishment as I did that day.  AirLifeLine and I save Jack and his
family a lot of anxiety and expense.

"Ann, I hope your column will direct attention to this incredible
public-service organization.  We desperately need donations and more
volunteer pilots.  I also want to put out a call to patients, their
families, physicians and social workers: USE US.  If the airlines or other
transportation companies won't take you because of your condition, or if
the cost of transportation for treatment is beyond your means, call
AirLifeLine.  The toll-free number is 1-800-446-1231.  We go strictly on
the basis of need, and we fly on your schedule, not ours.--Dale F. Brown,
pilot, AirLifeLine"

Ann Landers' response is:

"Dear Dale Brown:  We checked out AirLifeLine, and it came up with a 100
percent, five-star rating for competence, compassion and generosity.
AirLifeLine is a brilliant, humanitarian concept, and I am delighted to
tell the world about it.

"My readers should also know that patients are permitted to take a companion
along for emotional support.  Also, in order to qualify for AirLifeLine,
patients must have a letter from their doctor or social worker indicating
the diagnosis and the reason for the trip.  They must also have some
evidence that there is financial need for this service.

"AirLifeLine provides transportation from airport to airport.  Patients must
be able to get to and from the airports on their own.

"I don't usually pitch my reader for contributions, but if anyone out there
would like to send a few dollars to this truly great group, I think it
would be mighty nice.  My check for $100 goes in the mail today.  The
address is: AirLifeLine, 1716 X Street, Sacramento, CA 95818, USA."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop      |  Those who have long enjoyed such privileges |
|  Bellcore           |  as we enjoy forget in time that men have    |
|  Piscataway, NJ     |  died to win them.     FDR                   |
|  USA                |  [email-masked]                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Aug 1993 03:15:00 -0400
From:    "Helena M. Menezes 30935" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Msg to Silvio (Brazil) ~#

          Silvio,

          "I don't know who you are, or where you are..."
          Gra@as a esse tipo de lista, infelizmente quando nao se tem o
          endere@o de uma determinada pessoa, a gente tem que mandar a msg
          para todo mundo (como e' o caso aqui...)

          Bem, primeiramente foi uma surpresa para min encontrar um
          Brasileiro por aqui na WWII. Que tipo de assunto te interessa
          mais da segunda guerra? Voce esta conectado com alguma
          universidade para ter acesso a BITNET/INTERNET?
          Estou morando aqui nos E.U. ha quase 9 anos e acho muito bom
          manter contato com outros Brasileiros. Se precisares de alguma
          coisa, e' so' dizer?

          [email-masked]@Internet

           (ou atraves do e-mail de minha esposa:
          [email-masked]@internet)

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 8 Aug 1993 to 9 Aug 1993
***********************************************