Subject: WWII-L Digest - 24 Oct 1993 to 25 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 00:01:16 -0400

There are 11 messages totalling 296 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Bataan Death March veterans
  2. INF: The Longest Day (2)
  3. Bataan Death March (3)
  4. Molly (3)
  5. Photo Procurement (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 05:55:28 EDT
From:    Lowe Barrett MAJ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March veterans

Lou,

The little bear-ette arrived at 1556 on 4 oct 93.
She weighed in at 9 lbs 3 oz.  Her name is
Margaret Elizabeth; and we call her Molly.

I ain't been gettin' too much sleep lately. :-)

Bear

Barrett F. Lowe                    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
MAJ, IN
Dept of Physics, US Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 23 Oct 1993 07:24:21 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: The Longest Day

Doug,

THE LONGEST DAY is a superb book, but I wouldn't go so far to say
that "it was one of the greatest of all time".

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 08:41:20 -0500
From:    WILLIAM HUBER - SCDR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March

In your message of 22 Oct 1993 at 2101 CDT, you write:

> As it turns out, I just got word that a convention of Bataan DM
> survivors is meeting this very weekend in Arlington, right here in our
> front yard. So let me change my request: If I sent you a copy of our
> story, perhaps you wouldn't mind slipping it out onto the WWII
> discussion list? (Our Newsgroup mailing routine is not dependable,
> otherwise I would do it myself.)
>
> Let me know. And thanks for writing back.
>                                                Yours,
>                                              Jim Brady

Sure, send it on over and I'll see what I can do.  I haven't used my
scanner since I was in Italy.  Hope it still works....

Send the article to:   Bill Huber
                       135 Park Court
                       San Antonio, TX  78212-4241

Ciao,  Bill
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 09:22:01 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Molly

Congratulations to all, Bear.  Our first was a girl.

I had made cavalier statements like:

  Seven sons and however many daughters.

  It will be a boy or bearbait!

My mother-in-law was on the first plane to Alaska to make sure I was just
  kidding.

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 10:31:00 EDT
From:    "Pete.Goldsmith" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March

Besides the military who were surviviors of the Bataan Death March, there were
a number of civilians who had volunteered with the Army on Bataan who were
captured, survived the Death march, and were imprisoned as military prisoners.
Does anyone have information about them?

Pete Goldsmith
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 14:26:36 EDT
From:    Lowe Barrett MAJ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Molly

Lou,

:-)

Bear

Barrett F. Lowe                    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
MAJ, IN
Dept of Physics, US Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 16:22:00 EDT
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: The Longest Day

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  25-Oct-1993 04:21pm EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Re: INF: The Longest Day

    Terry (and others),

    Just in case I was less than clear in my previous post, the statement
    "...one of the greatest [books] of all time" was in reference to Ryan's
    book _A Bridge Too Far_ (which also claimed that the motion picture was
    one of the greatest of all time) came from the cover of the paper-back
    book.  I certainly would never make such a wild claim (even though I am
    a former ad man) nor do I agree with the statement.

    I do admit, BTW, that _The Longest Day_ was one of the more important
    books to me early in my life.  I must have been about 10 when I read it
    and I credit it with having a great influence on my now 30+ years
    interest in US military history.  While not a great work by any means,
    that book is certainly more "personable" than many I have read in the
    last 15 or so years and definately rates reprinting if all it does is
    "hook" more impressionable kids.

    So, this brongs forth a question for the list: what was the earliest
    book(s) you remember reading which got you interested in WWII?

    Doug McCabe
    [email-masked]

Received:  25-Oct-1993 04:21pm

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 17:04:18 EDT
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Photo Procurement

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  25-Oct-1993 05:04pm EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Photo Procurement

    Another one I tried to send backchannel and failed.  While this is for
    Bill Huber, I thought the information below might be helpful to others
    on the List.

    Bill,

    The rights to the photos in the Ryan Collection are owned by those who
    took them or who now own them.  In other words, Ryan had to get
    permission to use them, too.

    Fortunately, a couple years ago I did an internship with a museum
    display design company and the job I was assigned was photo
    procurement.  So, with some authority, I pass along the following
    information.

    Every photo used in a publication is supposed to credit the
    owner/source.  This is usually done right next to the photo or, like
    with Time/Life books, at the end of the book.  This gives you the name
    of the person or company who owns the rights to the photo.  That's the
    easy part.

    Finding the owner is the detective part.  There are directories which
    list photo sources and many good libraries will have these.  These
    directories list common sources to photos, their addresses, a contact
    person (usually out of date), and sometimes their fees for using a
    photo.  The really hard ones to find are credited to individuals.  Here
    you have to contact the publisher of the book and ask their help with
    an address and/or phone number of the photo owner.

    Once you've made contact you can get into the specifics on procedures
    and fees.  Procedures can run from them sending you a B&W print you get
    to keep to full color transpariences you have to return.  They'll want
    to know how you will use the photo since that determines what they'll
    charge.  If you're non-profit you might get away with just the cost of
    a copy neg and a print.  For profit use will cost you more.  Some
    places will still just charge a minimum fee while for-profit businesses
    will charge what the market will bear.  (This later "problem" is the
    reason why it is a good idea to look for similar photos owned by
    museums or archives who will charge less.)  Certain images will go for
    quite a bit of money because they are so popular.

    Any images which have to be returned after you have used them must be
    carefully handled and promptly returned or you will be accessed an
    extra (and large) penalty.

    Whenever you use a photo you will want to credit the source.

    I believe the Nat'l Archives photo collection is on a Gopher somewhere
    and I think I printed out the way to get into it.  I think I saw it on
    either WWII-L or the Archives and Archivists Listserve.  I'll check and
    get back to you.

    Doug McCabe
    [email-masked]

Received:  25-Oct-1993 05:04pm

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 16:32:58 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March

Pete,

You might contact that organization of BDM survivors, the posting of
which I included the address, if you have that. If not, please
advise. I will get it for you. They would have up-to-date info on the
whereabouts of those civilian survivors. I would think that they
would be mainly medical personnel.

Please write again.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 19:22:28 -0400
From:    "Steven C. Salina" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Molly

Bear,

Congrats and good luck with the new bear-ette!!

Steve Salina
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 25 Oct 1993 21:49:12 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Photo Procurement

>
>     I believe the Nat'l Archives photo collection is on a Gopher somewhere
>     and I think I printed out the way to get into it.  I think I saw it on
>     either WWII-L or the Archives and Archivists Listserve.  I'll check and
>     get back to you.

      Information on National Archives holdings are available from byrd. The
machine I procure them from is the original source but yon wee beastie is
most strange and wonderous to behold, so try byrd first.

>     Doug McCabe
>     [email-masked]

Larry J

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 24 Oct 1993 to 25 Oct 1993
*************************************************