Subject: WWII-L Digest - 13 Oct 1993 to 14 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 00:00:31 -0400

There are 22 messages totalling 800 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Q: German medal, 1939
  2. GEN:  Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary (4)
  3. USAAF 14 OCT 43
  4. INF: German aircraft listing (3)
  5. MEDIA: Death Tide at Tarawa
  6. WEAP: SdKfz. 234 Puma (5)
  7. Doolittle Raid
  8. INF: Reich Medals
  9. INF: Comfort Women Speech
 10. A minor correction re:  F4Fs at Coral Sea/Midway
 11. GEN: Zuyev Book...
 12. INF: byrd via telnet.
 13. ARCH: ftp help file

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 14:26:20 +1000
From:    Michael J Fauchon <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Q: German medal, 1939

        Sounds to me like it could be a very ordinary "Kriegsverdienstkreuz"
--- I have one at home from 1914/18, and it fits the description perfectly,
except, of course, for the date and the swastika.

                                                        Cheers,

                                                        Mick.

--                                                                          --
Mick Fauchon                          | Internet: [email-masked]
Reference Section, Auchmuty Library   | Ph  (intl+61+49) 215861
University of Newcastle, AUSTRALIA    | Fax (intl+61+49) 215833

On Wed, 13 Oct 1993, Terry Moore wrote:

> Dear Olaf,
>
> That decoration sounds to me as though it could be the Knight's Cross
> of the War Meritorious Service Cross with Swords, in which case it
> would have great resale value. Of course, not being able to see it,
> it may be some other decoration, but that is what it sounds like to
> me.
>
> Such a decoration was awarded to highly placed officials in either
> the military or civilian sectors and was awarded for outstanding
> contributions to the war effort.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Terry Moore
>
> Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
> P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
> fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 09:49:44 +0100
From:    Richard Cummings <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN:  Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary

For what it is worth, today is the 50th Anniversary of the
escape of 300 prisoners from the Sobibor Death Camp.
10 German and 13 Ukrainian guards were killed before the
escape.  It has been estimated that about 250,000 Jews
were murdered in the the gas chambers at Sobibor.

Regards from Munich.  Richard.

--==oo00oo==--
[email-masked]
RFE/RL Inc
Munich,Germany

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 13 Oct 1993 12:01:21 +0200
From:    Chris Scogings <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN:  Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary

Please, please, tell us more about this!

Chris
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Scogings                      Voice: (27) 331 955645
Computer Science Dept                 Fax: (27) 331 955599
University of Natal
Pietermaritzburg                   E-Mail:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 08:00:33 AST
From:    Joanne Brown <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN:  Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary

> From:       Richard Cummings <[email-masked]>
> Subject:    GEN:  Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary

> For what it is worth, today is the 50th Anniversary of the
> escape of 300 prisoners from the Sobibor Death Camp.
> 10 German and 13 Ukrainian guards were killed before the
> escape.  It has been estimated that about 250,000 Jews
> were murdered in the the gas chambers at Sobibor.
>
> Regards from Munich.  Richard.
>
> --==oo00oo==--
> [email-masked]
> RFE/RL Inc
> Munich,Germany
>

FYI:

There's an excellent movie available on video here in North America
which is a fictionalized account of this event.  It's title is
'Escape from Sobibor'.  Might've been released in Europe as well.

Does anybody know of any books or journal articles on this subject?

Joanne Brown
Saint John, N.B.
Canada

                   Joanne Brown, Reference Department
Bibliotheque Ward Chipman Library         E-Mail     [email-masked]
University of New Brunswick               Tel (506)  648-5710
Saint John, N.B. Canada                   Fax (506)  648- 5701

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 07:13:22 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 14 OCT 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 14 OCTOBER 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 4 B-25's attack shipping in the
Amoy area, damaging 2 freighters, and also bomb Amoy Airfield.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): VIII Bomber Command Mission 115:
229 of 291 B-17's hit the city area and ball bearing plants at Schweinfurt,
Germany in 2 group; the first group bombs at 1439-1445 hours, the second
group at 1451-1457 hours; they claim 186-27-89 Luftwaffe aircraft; 60 B-17's
are lost, 7 damaged beyond repair and 138 damaged; casualties are 5 KIA, 40
WIA and 594 MIA. The attack, which causes great damage and interference with
production, results in German reorganization of the bearing industry. Fierce
opposition of great numbers of fighters, many of them firing rockets,
accounts for the 60 US aircraft shot down. As a result of these heavy losses,
daylight bombing against strategic targets deep in Germany is discontinued
for a short period.
  Only 29 of 60 B-24's are able to form up in poor weather; they abandoned
their planned mission and fly a diversion towards Emden, Germany.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, XII
Bomber Command B-25's hit Argos Airfield and B-17's bomb the Terni
marshalling yard. Other B-17's and B-24's attack a bridge at Giulianova,
the town area of Piano-Vomano and railroad and highway bridges N of Pescara
and along the E coast of Italy. Weather hinders tactical aircraft operations,
but the XII Air Support Command and Royal Air Force (RAF) Desert Air Force
(DAF) hit trains and vehicles and fly patrols from N of the Volturno River
to Formia and N of Pescara.
  HQ 31st Fighter Group and it's 308th and 309th Fighter Squadrons transfer
from Montecorvino to Pomigliano, Italy with Spitfires.
  The 5th Photographic Squadron (Light), Twelfth Air Force, based at La
Marsa, Tunisia with F-5's transfers operations from Pontecagnano to
Pomigliano, Italy.
  The 111th Reconnaissance Squadron (Fighter), 68th Reconnaissance Group,
ceases operating from Capaccio and returns to it's base at Pomigliano,
Italy with P-51's.
  The 525th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 86th Fighter-Bomber Group, transfers
from Sele Airfield to Serretella Airfield, Italy with A-36's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, a single B-24 on armed reconnaissance bombs 4 barges W of Taiof
Island, leaving 1 sinking.
  The 371st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 307th Bombardment Group (Heavy),
ceases operating from Guadalcanal Island and returns to it's base on
Espiritu Santo Island, New Hebrides Islands with B-24's.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): 60+ medium
bombers pound Cape Gloucester on New Britain Island and Alexishafen, New
Guinea. 3 others fly harassing strikes against Dili and Lautem on Timor
Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
 Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 09:05:33 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: German aircraft listing

Emmanuel Gustin's listing of German military aircraft 1939-1993 has been
uploaded to

byrd.mu.wvnet.edu
/pub/history/military/airforce/German_aircraft.txt (~146k)

If you haven't been visiting byrd lately, all I can say is "take a lunch."

Byrd is now being mirrored at sunsite.unc.edu and is accessible by gopher
through History Net, via ftp, and via telnet. Instructions posted or e-mailed
on request.

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 09:34:52 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA: Death Tide at Tarawa

Death Tide at Tarawa:

On 17 November, the Naval Institute, in conjunction with Lou Reda
Productions and the Arts and Entertainment network, will present
its second documentary in the popular "Our Century" series, at
10:00 p.m., EST/5:00 p.m. PST.

The hour-long program, titled "Death Tide at Tarawa" and airing
three days before the 50th anniversary of the heroic Marine Corps
amphibious assault in the Gilbert Islands, is hosted by Edward
Herrmann and features Naval Institute author and historian
Colonel Joseph H. Alexander, USMC (Ret.), as primary narrator.
Colonel Alexander will have articles on Tarawa published in next
month's Proceedings and the November/December Naval History. Also
appearing are two Navy Cross recipients from the battle, retired
Marine generals Michael P. Ryan and William K. Jones, and former
Time-Life correspondent Robert Sherrod, who went ashore on D-Day
and later wrote the classic "Tarawa: The Story of a Battle",
recently republished by The Admiral Nimitz Foundation.

Highlighting the program will be a special guest appearance by
motion picture and television star Eddie Albert, who - as a
junior Navy salvage officer - rescued wounded Marines from the
water while under withering fire, until his boat was disabled and
he continued the fight ashore.

Another highlight of the show will be spectacular aerial
photography of the island taken on D-Day - never seen before on
television - along with Academy Award-winning footage of the
battle, the first uncensored combat film of World War II.
Videotapes of this program and the first in the series - the
documentary "Showdown at Leyte Gulf", recounting the epic naval
engagement in waters off the Philippines, which premiered on 8
September - are available directly from the Naval Institute. For
members, the price per tape is $19.96. Nonmembers pay $24.95. (US
dollars, please) To order, call 800-233-8764 or mail to:

U.S. Naval Institute
2062 Generals Highway
Annapolis, MD 21401

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 09:35:09 -0400
From:    "M. Joseph Barone" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: SdKfz. 234 Puma

>     "Greif", a griffin, was a command vehicle (Sd.Kfz.250/3) of Rommel's.
>There were at least two of the same type with different name painted;
>"Adler" (eagle) and "Igel" (hedgehog).  Fair amount of photographs of
>"Greif" are available in various books.  Interior photographs are available
>in a few books about half tracks.
>      Akira Takiguchi

        I remember reading a book written by an aid to Rommel entitled
something like, "In the Desert with Rommel".  I believe his surname was
Schmidt.  Anyway, he mentioned in passing that Rommel's "favorite"
command vehicle was some monstrous truck captured from the British.
The book had some photos of it but its name escapes me.  It looked
like a small moving van or overlarge bread truck.
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 11:11:00 EST
From:    Crane Conrad LTC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Doolittle Raid

Bill,
     Your explanation is very clear to me.  I guess after doing so much work on
military ethics, I may be oversensitized to criticisms that seem to be based on
knowledge that decisionmakers could not possibly have had access to at the
time. It is a constant struggle to get students to avoid such presentist
arguments, and every so often we historians fall into them, too.

                                                  Con

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 11:10:56 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: SdKfz. 234 Puma

Joe,

I have that same book in my library, and read it many years ago. I
will locate the info you mentioned, and get back to you tomorrw.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 11:14:16 -0500
From:    WILLIAM HUBER - SCDR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: SdKfz. 234 Puma

In Joe's message of 14 Oct 1993 at 1025 CDT, he sez:
>
>         I remember reading a book written by an aid to Rommel entitled
> something like, "In the Desert with Rommel".  I believe his surname was
> Schmidt.  Anyway, he mentioned in passing that Rommel's "favorite"
> command vehicle was some monstrous truck captured from the British.
> The book had some photos of it but its name escapes me.  It looked
> like a small moving van or overlarge bread truck.
> --
> Joe Barone
> [email-masked]
>

It's a critter called the "Mammoth" and I recall reading the same
thing.  Rommel was able to spread out his maps on a table and study
his options better than in the narrow confines of his hanomag.  He
also especially liked the British canned pears and even wore British
dust goggles on his visor cap.

Don't recall him having any American accouterments but it does remind
me of a conversation between Rommel and GFM Hermann Goering.  Goering
commented that all the Americans were good at was making razor blades
to which Rommel answered "We could do with some of those 'razor
blades'."

Hey Joe, no Kellys Heros quotes???  I always look forward to them. :^)

Cheers, Bill Huber
        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 12:12:52 EDT
From:    Ken Koester <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: SdKfz. 234 Puma

On Thu, 14 Oct 1993 09:35:09 -0400 M. Joseph Barone said:
>        I remember reading a book written by an aid to Rommel entitled
>something like, "In the Desert with Rommel".  I believe his surname was
>Schmidt.  Anyway, he mentioned in passing that Rommel's "favorite"
>command vehicle was some monstrous truck captured from the British.
>The book had some photos of it but its name escapes me.  It looked
>like a small moving van or overlarge bread truck.

Nicknamed "Mammoth" & referenced in =The Rommel Papers=, if memory serves.

Ken Koester
maint2@ers

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 11:16:57 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Reich Medals

Interesting that this question comes up at a time when Terry Thero is
posting images of Third Reich medals to the binaries.pictures groups.
He will archive them at Wustl and I'll grab copies for byrd when they
are available. I'll let you know. There were three .JPEG images in the
series and he's also done various other countries as well. If these
files are up to his usual standard they will be very nicely done.

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 12:05:30 CDT
From:    Rod Flancher <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN:  Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary

Hi,
        I'm new to the list and trying my first posting..so bear with
    me please.

        I stumbled upon an archive of literature on the holocaust in
    which I noticed at least two articles dealing with the Sobibor
    escape. I had, until now, never heard of it, But I though I'd
    share the archive with any one interested.

        The address is
                [email-masked]

        With HELP in the body tells you how to get things, INDEX in
    the body lists the contents of the archive.

        Hope it helps someone.....

        Rod

        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        "The only thing God didn't do to Job
         was to give him a computer".        - I.F.Stone

        [email-masked]
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 13:19:10 EST
From:    Mike Long <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Comfort Women Speech

To whomever was looking for info,,,,hope this is of interest to ya....

University of Connecticut's Asian American Cultural Center
presents the natioanl speaking tour of

"COMFORT WOMEN,"
Amonita Blajadia, & Nelia Sancho

During WWII, it is etimated that as many as 200,000 women were forced
to become what the Japanese euphemistically speaking called "comfort
women" - women forcibly conscripted to provide sexual services to the
Japanese military throughout Asia. On August 5, 1993 the governmant of
Japan finally admitted responsibility for this sexual enslavement.
However, they continue to refuse to commit themselves on the question
of compensation.

Now many of these women are coming forward to tell their stories and to
demand restitution. One of them is Amonita Balajadia, a 65-year-old
Filipina leader of the former comfort women.

"I want to make sure that justice is finally done. But more importantly,
I want to make sure that what happened to me will never happen again to
any future generations."

Nelia Sancho is a founder and former chairperson of GABRIELA, the first
nationwide womens coalition of the Philippines and is an outspoken
proponent for women's human rights. From the rape of women in the former
Yugoslavia to the increased traficking of women and children worldwide,
the issue of the comfort women is not just one for the history books but
is particularly relevant today.

ASIAN AMERICAN CULTURAL CENTER
2131 Hillside Road
Storrs CT

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 28, 1993
    4 - 6 PM
Reception to follow the presentation.

Regards,
Mike Long
196 AUDITORIUM ROAD, U-138    |   BITNET: [email-masked]
STORRS, CONNECTICUT, USA      | INTERNET: [email-masked]
                   06269-3138 |    PHONE: (203) 486-1352

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 13:47:00 EST
From:    TOBY FENWICK <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: German aircraft listing

Hi!

Please send instructions to access the byrd.mu.wvnet.edu gopher and Mr.
Gustin's treatise on German Military Arcraft.

Cheers!

Toby

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 12:10:36 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: A minor correction re:  F4Fs at Coral Sea/Midway

Dennis,

Or, rather, John Lundstrom!  Didn't the Navy pilots curse the -4s?

I remember reading that some carrier divebomber pilots fought having to
  trade in their Dauntlesses, with good reason as it turned out.

Lou Coatney, WIU

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 14:29:09 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Zuyev Book...

Sorry for the mass mailing and generally unrelated nature of the
post (heck, I've been gone a week inhaling lots of pyrotechnics and
standing underneath a B-1 without being shot :-).

A permanent and direct system for ordering Alex Zuyev's book "Fulcrum"
(autographed, even personalized) has now been set up between Alex and
myself (actually, the Wing).

Therefore, the recent orders which came after the August show will be
placed this weekend and you will receive the book(s) directly from
Alex.  If there are any other interested parties in the book, I'll add
them to the current order if you promise (and then prove it :-) that
a check will follow.

Again, sorry for the mass semi-related note, but my mailing list is at
home and the majority of people are on the lists -- hey, I'm lazy, and
if I have to, I'll start name dropping after last weekend... :-)

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 15:17:46 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: German aircraft listing

Would also like the same info.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 15:47:40 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: byrd via telnet.

Here's the instruction to access byrd via telnet. I'll also post the
FTP file that I used to get started.  E-mail me directly if you have
problems.

Larry J

Several people have asked about accessing byrd's collection via telnet. Here's
one method, or you may ask your local wizards to add the History Net and
Marshall U. to your gopher system.

To access the files at Marshall University's Historical Archive site,

telnet to HNSource.cc.ukans.edu

login: HISTORY

Select Resource: Databases

Select America and Africa.

Select BYRD

Select pub (this step may be unneeded if they have the system setup right)

Select history (this step may be unneeded if they have the system setup right)

Select military

Select airforce

Select German_arcraft.txt

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 15:49:57 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ARCH: ftp help file

Your target site is byrd.mu.wvnet.edu and directory of interest begins with
/pub/history/military (explore the other directories as well, they have some
fun stuff, too!)

From: [email-masked] (CBIP Moderator)
Subject: v19inf05: ftp.man, Beginner's Guide to FTP V1.7 (part 01/01)
Originator: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1992 14:17:38 GMT

[Date of Last Change: 10-Apr-92 Release 1.7]

                        A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO FTP

Copyright (c) 1991 by Brian O'Neill. Permission to copy this file freely is
given, so long as the file remains unmodified.

    FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol.  It allows a person to transfer
files between two systems, generally connect over local area networks or
wide area networks, such as the Internet.

    If your hosts system has FTP and is connected to the Internet, you
can access very large amounts of archives available on a number of
systems, such as Simtel20 or ftp.uu.net.  This is a simplified use
manual, and will use two examples, one a TOPS-20 system
(wsmr-simtel20.army.mil, which has a large base if PD/Shareware MSDOS
software), and one Unix system (ftp.uu.net, where archives of the
comp.sources newsgroups are kept).

    The simplest way to initiate FTP would be to give the command 'ftp
<system-name>', where <system-name> is the remote system you are
connecting to, either a name (wsmr-simtel20.army.mil, if you have an
entry in /etc/hosts or are accessing a Domain Name Server, such as bind) or
the InterNet address (192.88.110.20, for Simtel20).  After a short wait, you
will be prompted for your username.  If you do not have an account on the
remote system, some systems allow you to use 'anonymous'.  This gives you a
restricted access path, allowing you to access certain files only.

    You would then be prompted for a password. If you are using your own
account, give your password. If you are using 'anonymous', the system may
ask you to send your real identity as the password.  What you type doesn't
matter, but it is suggested to give your mail address.  Other systems
need a password of 'guest', or something similar.

    After that, you should receive the FTP prompt (usually ftp>), and
now have access.  You can get a directory of files be giving a 'dir'
command, or if the remote system is Unix-based, 'ls -l' will give the
familiar output.  On Simtel20, there is a file available in the
default anonymous ftp directory that explains what Simtel20 is, and
where files are located.  The name is 'SIMTEL-ARCHIVES.INFO.nn, where
".nn" is a file generation number.  You don't need to specify the file
generation number when requesting the file.  In fact, it's better not
to because you will always get the latest generation that way.

    Unix systems will all have the familiar directory structure, and
moving around is done with the familiar 'cd' or 'cwd' command.
TOPS-20 systems have a different structure, but movement is still
accomplished with the 'cd' command.

    I will use Simtel20 as the first example. To start, give the
command 'ftp wsmr-simtel20.army.mil' from your shell prompt, or 'open
wsmr-simtel20.army,mil' from the 'ftp>' prompt.  If this host is not
in your /etc/hosts file or you do not have access to a Domain-name Server,
use '192.88.110.20' in it's place.  After a few seconds, you'll be prompted
for your username.  Type 'anonymous', and when prompted for password,
give your e-mail address (more as a courtesy than anything else), or if
you prefer, 'guest'.  You should then shortly get back the 'ftp>' prompt.
If you receive an error message stating that there are too many anonymous
logins, wait a few minutes and try again. Simtel20 has limited access,
especially during normal business hours.

    Now, say you want to see what is stored for MS-DOS programs.
Simtel20 is a DEC System-20 running the TOPS-20 operating system.  The
directory structure is 'DISK:<DIRECTORY.SUBDIRECTORY>'.  For MS-DOS
programs, the main directory is 'PD1:<MSDOS>'.  In here there is a
file called 'MSDOS.CRCLST', which is updated almost daily.  It
contains a list of all files within the MS-DOS subdirectories, along
with file size and CRC value.

    To get this list, first switch to that directory by saying 'cd
pd1:<msdos>' (TOPS-20 is not case sensitive).  If you are prompted for
another password just ignore the request.  When you get the 'ftp>'
prompt back, you can then say 'get msdos.crclst'.  This will initiate
the transfer, and after a few minutes it will be completed.  The
beauty of Unix is that while you are transfering something big, you
can put it in the background and do something else.

    Say you wanted to get ProComm Plus TD. According to the list, it is
in PD1:<MSDOS.PROCOMM>.  So, you can enter 'cd pd1:<msdos.procomm>'.
A 'dir' will show all the files in that directory.  (You may wish not
to use too many 'dir' commands, as they are sometimes fairly slow).

    Now, you want the file 'pcplustd.arc'.  First, you must tell your
host what kind of file it is.  On most Unix systems, 'binary' or 'set
type binary' or 'set type I' will work.  However, as Simtel20 runs a
different OS that has different word sizes (36 bits) you must specify
'tenex' or 'type L 8' to transfer properly.  You can then issue a 'get
pcplustd.arc' command, and after a short while, you have ProComm Plus TD.
To end your session, enter the 'bye' command.

    Unix is a little more familiar for most people with Internet access.
For example, you might wish to get sources to the ZOO version 2.01
from ftp.uu.net.  First, you give the 'ftp ftp.uu.net' command (or
ftp 137.39.1.9), giving 'anonymous' for the username, and your address
as the password.  You can then use the 'dir' or 'ls -l' commands to scan
the directories.  After some directory searching, you find it is located in
usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume17/zoo2, showing that it was posted in
comp.sources.unix, volume 17. Inside that directory, you find 10 parts,
labelled part01.Z to part10.Z. As told by the .Z suffix, these files are
compressed binary files. You must tell FTP to operate in binary mode, so
type 'binary' or 'type I' to set it. You can then do a 'get' for each file.
Now you have the original sources to ZOO 2.01.

    Different systems have different organizations for their files, and the
above example is just the way I have it set up.  By 'poking' around other
systems, you can learn how their files are set up, and zip around much
faster.  Note, however, that FTP will not allow you outside the FTP 'root'
directory, usually ~ftp on most systems.  So, poking about the entire system
is not permitted.

    You now have a basic understanding of how to use FTP to get the things
you want. I hope this has been of use. Questions and comments welcome.
Other features of FTP can be found in the manual - please check there. My
E-mail address is [email-masked].

    Messages regarding problems, complaints or suggestions for
Simtel20 should be addressed to [email-masked]'.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 11:09:23 +1000
From:    Michael J Fauchon <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: SdKfz. 234 Puma

        Joe,

                You're quite correct : the book you mention was written by
Heinz Werner Schmidt, who was Rommel's adc. The one I have (at home) was
published in London by Harrap in 1980, but it exists in various printings.
It's titled "With Rommel in the desert".

                                                                Cheers,

                                                                Mick.

--                                                                          --
Mick Fauchon                          | Internet: [email-masked]
Reference Section, Auchmuty Library   | Ph  (intl+61+49) 215861
University of Newcastle, AUSTRALIA    | Fax (intl+61+49) 215833

On Thu, 14 Oct 1993, M. Joseph Barone wrote:

> >     "Greif", a griffin, was a command vehicle (Sd.Kfz.250/3) of Rommel's.
> >There were at least two of the same type with different name painted;
> >"Adler" (eagle) and "Igel" (hedgehog).  Fair amount of photographs of
> >"Greif" are available in various books.  Interior photographs are available
> >in a few books about half tracks.
> >      Akira Takiguchi
>
>         I remember reading a book written by an aid to Rommel entitled
> something like, "In the Desert with Rommel".  I believe his surname was
> Schmidt.  Anyway, he mentioned in passing that Rommel's "favorite"
> command vehicle was some monstrous truck captured from the British.
> The book had some photos of it but its name escapes me.  It looked
> like a small moving van or overlarge bread truck.
> --
> Joe Barone
> [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 13 Oct 1993 to 14 Oct 1993
*************************************************