Subject: WWII-L Digest - 16 Oct 1993 to 17 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 00:00:50 -0400

There are 3 messages totalling 81 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. GEN - Cannibalism and Casualty Counts
  2. Weap: Grenades vs AFV's
  3. Cannibalism in the Pacific

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 17 Oct 1993 15:12:00 LCL
From:    Jeff Olson <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN - Cannibalism and Casualty Counts

Came across a reference that US troops discovered what appeared to be
instances of cannibalism on Mount Austen on Guadalcanal by Japanese
front line soldiers in December 1942.  (one sentence in the 'green
book' relating to the Guadalcanal campaign) Has this ever been
substantiated?  Were there ever any other instances where this was
reported to have occurred in other campaigns?

Regarding casualties: Did the US only count as casualties those who
had been killed or wounded as the result of hostile action or were
those incapacited by diseases (malaria) or accidents also counted if
they were unable to continue to fight?  It appears the Japanese counted
non-hostile figures in their casualty counts.
---
. 1st 1.11 #1611 . [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 17 Oct 1993 21:02:32 CST
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Weap: Grenades vs AFV's

I saw something I thought rather silly going on at the WWIIHRS National
Battle, and I wanted to get some expert opions on the subject.

We had a fair number of armored vehicles at the WWIIHRS National Battle
at Camp Atterbury the weekend before this past one.  It seemed to me
that every yahoo with a hand grenade thought he could wipe out a tank
with it.  I know this is unrealistic, and probably those who tried it in
real life are few and far between today because it seems to be a game
for the brave or foolish.

What kind of effects can a normal hand held, or launched grenade (from a
rifle) have on an AFV.  I am not speaking of the occupants of the
vehicle.  I am also not referring to getting one inside the vehicle.
The results of that are obvious.  I am talking about outside the
vehicle.  What kind of track damage, engine damage, vision port damage,
or any other kind of damage could be incurred.

If you want some vehicles to use, specifically I saw it in referrence to
Stuart tanks, a Hetzer, and a Sdkz. 222.  We could broaden it to include
the T-34, Mk IV, and Sherman as well.

 I know armored cars are more vulnerable because of their tires, but
what kind of track damage would happen, and how much would it immobilize
the vehicle.

Anybody got any ideas, or even better--access to some hard data about
this.

Thanks---Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 17 Oct 1993 22:54:26 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Cannibalism in the Pacific

Jeff,

     There was an instance on Ie Shima, off the coast of Okinawa, where a
U.S. pilot was eaten by the Japanese, at the orders of the Japanese CO (if
I remember correctly).  The Japanese officer was tried, convicted, and
hanged as a war criminal.  It should be in Morison.

Lou Coatney, WIU

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 16 Oct 1993 to 17 Oct 1993
*************************************************