Subject: WWII-L Digest - 17 Oct 1993 to 18 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1993 00:00:56 -0400

There are 27 messages totalling 1421 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. GEN - Cannibalism (9)
  2. Weap: Grenades vs AFV's (3)
  3. REF: cannibalism
  4. USAAF 18 OCT 43
  5. New Moscow study trips
  6. REF: chronology (2)
  7. USAF News
  8. INF: Video catalog
  9. USAAF 19-31 OCT
 10. USAAF 19 OCT 43
 11. USAAF 20-23 OCT 43
 12. USAAF 24-31 OCT 43
 13. Search of coding methods
 14. ARCH: Center for Military History Catalog
 15. The "Philadelphia Experiment"
 16. Type numbers for USN fighters

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 15:39:49 EST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: GEN - Cannibalism

There are documented reports of cannibalism by Japanese soldiers from the
Kokoda campaign in New Guinea. The reports mention meat found being
identified as human, and POWs mentioning that they had eaten human flesh
to survive. For futher info. refer to 'Blood and Iron' by Lex McAulay. 'Bloody
Buna' may contain references, but I can't say because I haven't read it. ( Any
decent reference on the New Guinea campiagn should mention it.)

David M.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 00:56:07 EST
From:    Denis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Weap: Grenades vs AFV's

I would think that the typical defensive hand grenade, such as the US Mk2
Pineapple, would have very little effect, having only about 2 ounces of
explosive. The main effect comes from the fragments of course, but being
of irregular shape and made of cast iron these would have virtually no armour
penetrating ability.  Perhaps a very lucky placement might damage some
vital part like a view port, but it doesn't seem that much trak damage could
occur.  For that you would need much more significant amount of explosive
or a shaped charge.  Most antitank mines would have as a minimum at least
5 pounds of TNT or equivalent - the German Tellermine having 11 pounds
and the Russian TM-41 having 9 pounds (BTW if anyone has any comments about
the Russian dog antitank mine let me know - did they have any success with
this method?)
The Germans did have a method of taking out T-34s with the Steilhandgranate
which was to unscrew half a dozen of them from the stick leaving the business
end and taping them around a whole grenade wih wire or tape.  Tossed onto
the back of a T-34 it was sufficient to take out the engine.
The British and Americans had rifle launched AT grenades with hollow charges,
which were supposed to be able to penetrate 2 or 3 inches of armour at
up to 100 yards - but for some reason these figures seem rather optomistic
and I imagine that AT work was usually left to the Bazooka and Piat teams.
In addition their were a number of hand thrown AT grenades. The inherent
risk of getting close enough to actually use one suggests that not to many
of these actually found their mark, but if anyone has info to the contrary
please let me know.

Denis Ouellette
[email-masked]
Indiana University School of Business

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 11:02:34 +0200
From:    Chris Scogings <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN - Cannibalism

There is a book, by a Japanese author, called "Fires on the Plain".  It is
the story of some infantry cut off in New Guinea, who resorted to
cannibalism to survive.  I can't remember whether the book purports to be
true or not.  It's been a while since I read it.

Chris
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Scogings                      Voice: (27) 331 955645
Computer Science Dept                 Fax: (27) 331 955599
University of Natal
Pietermaritzburg                   E-Mail:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 07:24:41 EDT
From:    Robert E George <[email-masked]>
Subject: REF: cannibalism

There is some mention of cannibalism by IJA personnel
in "Soldiers of the Sun", a recent (1992? 1991?) book on the
IJA

Rob George

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 07:39:25 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 18 OCT 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 18 OCTOBER 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-4, Lockheed Lightning
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): The 406th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), Fourth
Air Force, departs Elmendorf Field, Anchorage for the US. The squadron will
transition from B-25's to B-24's and arrive in England on 2 Nov 43.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): The 530th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 311th
Fighter-Bomber Group, transfers from Nawadih to Dinjan, India with A-36's.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): The 369th Fighter Squadron, 359th
Fighter Group, arrives at East Wretham, England from the US with P-47's. The
squadron will fly it's first mission on 13 Dec 43.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 228 B-26's dispatched to bomb 4
airfields in France are recalled before attacking because of unfavorable
weather. Major General Elwood R "Pete" Quesada becomes Commanding General
of the IX Fighter Command.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): XII Bomber Command
B-25's bomb the marshalling yard at Skoplje, Yugoslavia; P-38's follow with
a strafing mission, damaging or destroying several locomotives and vehicles.
In Italy, XII Air Support Command A-36's hit the Venafro railroad yards, and
other fighter-bombers hit gun positions, troops, and railway stations in or
near Boiano, Petacciato, and Vairano. Fighters strafe airfields around Rome and
also hit Viterbo, Grosseto, and the seaplane base at Bracciano, and attack
trains on the Rome-Orte and Rome-Naples, Italy lines. Northwest African
Tactical Bomber Force (NATBF) light bombers bomb the road and railway near
Cassino, the town of Carpinone, the road junction at Castiglione della Valle,
and roads, bridges, and motor transport near Minturno and Chieti.
  HQ 316th Troop Carrier Group transfers from Mazzara to Borizzo, Sicily.
  The 4th Troop Carrier Squadron, 62d Troop Carrier Group, transfers from
Gela to Catania, Sicily with C-47's.
  The 12th Photographic Squadron (Light), 3d Photographic Reconnaissance
and Mapping Group, based at La Marsa, Tunisia with F-4's and F-5's, sends a
detachment to operate from Ajaccio/Camp del Oro, Corsica.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, 28 B-24's and 40+ US Navy dive bombers, with cover of 50+ fighters,
hit the airfield on Ballale Island. 14 P-39's join 20+ US Navy aircraft in a
strike on Kakasa village and a tent area on Choiseul Island.
  The 70th Fighter Squadron, 18th Fighter Group, transfers from Guadalcanal
Island to New Georgia Island with P-39's.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): On New Britain
Island in the Bismarck Archipelago, nearly 80 B-24's and fighters sent against
Rabaul on New Britain Island are forced to abort by bad weather; however, 50+
B-25's slip beneath low clouds and pound the town, airfields, and shipping
from treetop and mast-height level; the B-25's sink 2 vessels and claim 70+
planes destroyed on the ground and in the air; 13 of the B-24's bomb Cape
Hoskins; 7 others bomb Cape Gloucester and hit Sio, New Guinea. B-25's bomb
and strafe a road at Bogadjim, New Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 05:31:44 PDT
From:    Eric Fenster <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Moscow study trips

  I have been invited to bring more groups on study trips to Moscow in 1994.

==> Many people in the past said they could only go in the summer, and I've
finally persuaded our Russian hosts to organize a course then.

The trips will be of two kinds:

1) "Fact-finding missions" which probe Russia's political, economic and
social issues.
2) Intensive Russian language courses.

 The schedule is below.  Please request details by E-mail so as not to
clutter this discussion/conference with replies: [email-masked]

Fact-finding missions
1) 01 May-21 May
2) 19 May-18 Jun (4 credits from Eastern Michigan University possible)
3) 21 Jun-15 Jul (6 credits or CEUs from Minnespolis Community College
possible)
4) 28 Jul-23 Aug

NB If there is interest expressed quickly, I could take a group from 11-26
March.

Russian language
1) 27 May-02 Jul (beginning level; other levels could be organized)

 All interested adults are eligible, not just "students," and there's usually
a large range of age, background and geographical origin (N. America, Europe,
etc.). Especially valuable for teachers, journalists, business people and
other needing country familiarization.

 I have also written notes about the situation in Russia based upon
observations made during trips there this year. The file (about 27K) is
available on request.
-----

What's the point?

 The Moscow events in early October probably convinced many people that
Russia's future is still linked with ours.  But there's more:

--the political changes in Italy, made possible by the fall of the USSR;
positive, so far, but they could lead to the break-up of Italy
--the political changes in Japan, made possible by the fall of the USSR
--the conflict in the Gulf
--wars in ex-Yugoslavia
--wars in Moldova, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaizhan, Tadjikistan
--the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, amde possible (necessary?) by the
end of the Cold War (Rabin himself said so)
--the economic crisis in Europe,hostage to anti-inflation policies in a
Germany trying to absorb its eastern regions
--possibilities that low-cost Russian labor ($30/month average) competes with
Western jobs as investment develops
--major new production of addictive drugs; new transport routes into Europe
and USA
--major expansion of organized crime, linking Russian, Italian, American,
other racketeers
--danger (imminent?) of leakage into world's water of radioactive wastes from
Soviet nuclear weapons
--emergence of new economic community, rich in oil and gas, led by Turkey
(with involvement of Iran)
--overflow of other environmental pollutants from xUSSR borders; new vectors
for spreading AIDS by major international prositutiion rings

and so on.

But there's more...
 People in Russia told me: In your country, the members of your government
spend all their time thinking about what they can do to make life better for
the people. [sic]
 Well, maybe, but as Russians decide their new political and eocnomic
structures, they need to base them on reality, not fantasy models. So our
presence means two-way learning.
NB People on the 1-21 May trip will participate in the
annual observance of the victory in WW2 (May 9).

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 08:00:41 -0400
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN - Cannibalism

>
> There are documented reports of cannibalism by Japanese soldiers from the
> Kokoda campaign in New Guinea. The reports mention meat found being
> identified as human, and POWs mentioning that they had eaten human flesh
> to survive. For futher info. refer to 'Blood and Iron' by Lex McAulay. 'Bloody
> Buna' may contain references, but I can't say because I haven't read it. ( Any
> decent reference on the New Guinea campiagn should mention it.)

For an example of cannibalism in the Japanese ranks, try the book and movie
"Fires on the Plain".  I believe the setting is Burma.  The film is a classic
of the Japanese cinema.  If I'm not mistaken it's based on the experiences of
real people.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 08:52:48 EST
From:    Crane Conrad LTC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: chronology

>> Bill Thacker writes:
>> been massive...I'm impressed! I don't know for sure, but I'd assume it is
>> still for sale from the US GPO for a reasonable price.
>>
>> Scott.
> Yes it is I just picked it up a couple months ago at the GPO in Laurel.
>The updated Military History Subject List is also available from them now.
>
>Larry I promise I will mail you one, maybe you can scan it in and put it
>online.
>
>A fair number of the Green books are still available. Breakout and Pursuit is
>NOT :-( and I was told there are no plans to reprint. I take that with a shrea
d
>of hope at least on volume was shown as newly reprinted and available in both
>cloth & paper binding. The Subject Guide for the Geen books is only available
>in paper bound edition with what appears to be a new cover tagged 50th
>anniverery edition. I was over there about a week ago and picked up about 7
>books (spent ~$150, don't let my wife know)
>
>When I get home I can put out details about the chronolgy volume and how to ge
t
>the subject guide to order books from
>
>Bob Smart ([email-masked])
>

I recently talked with Martin Blumenson, who wrote BREAKOUT AND PURSUIT.  He
has a new book out that updates his earlier work to some degree, and in fact is
much more critical of some generals, especially Bradley.  I believe it is
called THE WAR BETWEEN THE GENERALS or something to that effect.

                                                       LTC Con Crane
                                                       USMA

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 09:24:47 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAF News

WORLD WAR II PILOT RECOGNIZED AFTER 49 YEARS

COURTESY HEADQUARTERS AIR FORCE RESERVE PUBLIC AFFAIRS

ROBINS AFB, GA.
     It took 49 years, but former captain Jerome C. Stannard finally
received his official recognition for extraordinary aerial flight
achievement during World War II.
     On Sept. 13, 1944, after two senior flight leaders were forced to
abandon the mission, Stannard, piloting a P-47 Thunderbolt, braved
heavy anti-aircraft fire and led a successful group bombing mission
over a German airfield.
     The captain, assigned to the 48th Fighter Group, returned to the
United States on Thanksgiving Day in 1944, and in December, the
Army Air Corps' Headquarters at 9th Air Force issued the general
order to award Stannard the Distinguished Flying Cross.  Stannard's
September achievement was just one of several exceptionally
dangerous missions.
     Upon return to the United States, he served as a gunnery
instructor at Galveston, Texas, until he separated from service in
September 1945, with 1,200 flying hours and 76 combat missions to
his credit.  He moved to Michigan where he and his wife, Patricia,
raised six sons.  He later retired after 37 years with Michigan Bell
Telephone Co.
     "With the moving, I didn't give much thought to it," said the 76-
year-old Stannard, now a resident of Port St. Luce, Fla., referring to
not previously receiving the award.
     Then, in 1992, one of his sons, Dr. Sean Stannard, a resident of
West Bloomfield, Mich., decided to see his father appropriately
recognized.  After many inquiries and much persistence, the son's
efforts were rewarded.  "The medal came in the same day my father
arrived from Florida for a visit."
     But Dr. Stannard didn't stop there.  With medal in hand, he
requested assistance from the 927th Air Refueling Group at Selfridge
Air National Guard base, Mich., to arrange a presentation ceremony.
The initiative resulted in a ceremony and award presentation by Col.
Thomas R. Brown, 927th commander.
     In recognizing Stannard's selfless duty to this country, Brown
said, "This country of ours owes a great debt to Captain Stannard,
and those who served with him."
     Hopefully, the country never will.  (AFNS Features)

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 08:44:55 -0500
From:    John Lundstrom <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN - Cannibalism

Regarding cannibalism by Japanese soldiers in WWII, see also two older
books:
        Raymond Paull, Retreat from Kokoda (Melbourne, 1958, reprinted
1982) and Arthur Swinson, Four Samurai (London, 1968).
Paull used captured Japanese diaries extensively and remains one of the
best books on Kokoda. Swinson talks about ritual cannibalism in Burma
1944-45 and mentions the infamous Col. Masanobu Tsuji.

John Lundstrom
Milwaukee Public Museum
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 09:52:18 -0400
From:    "M. Joseph Barone" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Weap: Grenades vs AFV's

Denis Ouellette writes:
> (BTW if anyone has any comments about
> the Russian dog antitank mine let me know - did they have any success with
> this method?)

        In the early part of the war, the Soviets were experimenting
with many different anti-tank methods.  One such was to strap two
saddlebags, each with 13 pounds of explosives, onto dogs with a
plunger-type detonator with a safety pin.  The dogs would only be
fed exclusively under running tanks with their saddlebags strapped
on them (shades of Pavlov's experiments).  While the safety pin was
in place, there was little danger of a training mishap.  Eventually
the dogs would become accustomed to the noise of a tank and knew to
crawl under a tank to search for food.  Then the animals would be
starved for a couple of days and moved to the battlefront.  There,
the safety pin would be removed and the dogs would be released in the
direction of German armor formations.  The dogs would close with the
unsuspecting Germans and crawl under their tanks, detonating their
payloads with devastating results.

        At first the Germans were unaware of what what going on.  After
a while, though, they had discovered dogs killed in the vicinity of
an action before the dogs could detonate and the Germans noted their
deadly cargo.  To the Germans, a dog loving people, this struck them
as bizarre and inhumane (talk about pots and kettles!).  Soon, German
sharpshooters were picking off any dogs that they came upon.

        As it turned out, by the time the Germans were countering this
strategy, the Soviets stopped using the dogs.  The reason for their
retirement was that, as more Russian armor became available, the dogs
had a tendency to crawl under the closer vehicles!  Compounding this
problem was the fact that the dogs could differentiate between the
German gasoline smell and the Soviet diesel smell and opted for the
familiar scent used in their training!
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Look, we're not worried about the German Army, we've got enough troubles
of our own!  To the right, General Patton; to the left, the British Army;
to the rear, our own goddamn artillery; and besides all that, it's raining!
And the only good thing to say about the weather, it keeps our Air Corp
from blowing us all to hell because it's too lousy to fly!

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 10:35:02 -0400
From:    "M. Joseph Barone" <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Video catalog

        Over the weekend, I received a 48-page video catalog of military
documentaries and movies.  It had titles addressing the ACW, WWI, WWII,
and Vietnam, with emphasis on WWII.  They seem to have a decent selection
of titles but I'm sure that there are many gaps.  (They *do* have "The
Bridge at Remagen" movie and documentary.  Despite Ben Gazarra hamming
it up, this movie is one of my personal favorites.)  Anyway, if anyone
(in the US, anyway, and perhaps North America) is interested in receiving
a catalog, their number is 1-800-959-0061.  The company is Fusion Video,
100 Fusion Way, Country Club Hills, IL 60478.  I've never done business
with them, so I can't vouch for them.
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Crap Game: 14,000 gold bars!  Where are they?
    Kelly: In a bank...
Crap Game: In a bank?  Aren't you getting a little ambitious?
    Kelly: ...behind enemy lines.
Crap Game: Behind enemy lines... This could be the perfect crime!

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 12:53:58 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 19-31 OCT

I will be going on vacation tomorrow so I am posting the USAAF Combat
Chronologies for 19-31 Oct 43 today.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 12:57:05 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 19 OCT 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 19 OCTOBER 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  Hudson, Lockheed
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  Ventura, Lockheed

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): The 1st Troop Carrier Squadron, Tenth Air
Force, transfers from New Delhi to Sookerating, India with C-47's.
  The 529th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 311th Fighter-Bomber Group, transfers
from Nawadih to Dinjan, India with A-36's.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): HQ 359th Fighter Group and it's
369th Fighter Squadron arrives at East Wretham, England from the US with
P-47's. The group will fly it's first mission on 13 Dec 43.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, during a
low-level raid, XII Bomber Command B-24's bomb bridges at Porto Civitanova,
S of Porto Sant' Elpidio, N of Pedaso, and N of Cupra Marittima; fighters,
fighter-bombers, and light bombers of the XII Air Support Command,
Northwest African Tactical Bomber Force (NATBF), and Royal Air Force (RAF)
Desert Air Force (DAF) attack the town of Boiano, gun positions and troop
concentrations on the outskirts of town, and an ammunition dump and
railroad tunnel nearby, Viterbo and Tarquinia landing fields, the towns of
Cassino and Anzio, the railroad N of Pesaro and near Pineto, trains near
Barisciano, troops near Mintumo, and vehicles at several points.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, Kara and Kahili Airfields on Bougainville Island are hit by
B-24's, Venturas, P-38's, P-40's, and US Navy fighters and dive bombers.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): On New Guinea,
A-20's and Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) airplanes hit Sattelberg and
surrounding areas and bomb Gasmata Island off New Britain Island; enemy air
raid against Finschhafen causes no effective damage. B-25's and RAAF Hudsons
bomb Fuiloro on Timor Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 13:01:59 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 20-23 OCT 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  Boomerang, Commonwealth Aircraft Corp (RAAF)
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F4U, Vought Corsair (USN)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  Ventura, Lockheed

WEDNESDAY, 20 OCTOBER 1943

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force): HQ 30th
Bombardment Group (Heavy) and it's 27th, 38th and 392d Bombardment Squadrons
(Heavy) arrive at Hickam Field, Moluleia Field, Kahuku and Barking Sands,
Territory of Hawaii respectively from the US with B-24's.
  The 396th and 820th Bombardment Squadrons (Medium), 41st Bombardment Group
(Medium) arrive at Hickam Field, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii from the US with
B-25's.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): The bridge at Meza, Burma, being repaired
after being damaged severely on 10 Oct, is attacked and damaged by B-25's.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): VIII Bomber Command Mission 116.
The industrial area at Duren, Germany is the primary target. 97 of 170 B-17's
hit the primary target at 1413-1416 bombing from 30,000-feet (48,000 m)
because the cloud tops were at 29,500-feet (47,200 m); the 1st Bombardment
Division uses Oboe PFF for the first time but the equipment fails and 60
aircraft return to base without bombing; 42 of the 1st Bombardment Division's
aircraft hit Woensdrecht Airfield in the Netherlands as a target of
opportunity; and 70 B-24's fly a diversion; the totals are 4-1-1 Luftwaffe
aircraft claimed; 9 B-17's lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 10 damaged;
casualties are 4 KIA (including 3 gunners who died from oxygen system failure),
2 WIA and 85 MIA.
  VIII Bomber Command Mission 117: During the night of 20/21 Oct, 5 B-17's
drop 876,960 leaflets over Roen and Paris at 2211-2217 hours.
  HQ 358th Fighter Group and it's 365th, 366th and 367th Fighter Squadrons
arrive at Goxhill, England from the US.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, XII
Bomber Command B-17's, B-26's, B-25's and P-38's bomb the Rome-Casale landing
ground, Marcigliana and Cerveteri Airfields, railroad bridges at Montalto di
Castro, Grosseto, and 13 miles (21 km) SE of Orvieto, and the marshalling
yard at Nish, Yugoslavia obstructing the Belgrade-Sofia line; the XII Air
Support Command, Northwest African Tactical Bomber Force (NATBF), and other
aircraft of the Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) devote most of
their efforts to bombing gun positions, trucks, and rail and road
communications S of Vasto, at Mignano, N of Cassino, in Cassino and Chieti, at
Castropignano, Carpinone, Arce, Tratella, and at various other points along
highways and railroads. Fighter-bombers also hit shipping along Dalmatian coast
of Yugoslavia, claiming 2 vessels sunk.
  HQ 62d Fighter Wing transfers from Palermo, Sicily to Naples, Italy.
  The 527th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 86th Fighter-Bomber Group, transfers
from Serretella Airfield to Pomigliano, Italy with A-36's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, Kakasa on Choiseul Island is attacked 3 times by Venturas, P-40's,
and US Navy (USN) fighters and dive bombers. 24 P-40's and nearly 50 USN F4U's
sweep Kahili on Bougainville Island; one force of F4U's encounters fighters,
claiming 3 destroyed.
  The 69th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 42d Bombardment Group (Medium),
ceases operating form Guadalcanal Island with B-25's and returns to it's
base on New Caledonia Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea,
B-25's bomb and strafe the Bogadjim area; B-24's hit 2 freighters near
Manokwari and bomb the Manokwari area; and an attack on Finschhafen by 30
Japanese aircraft causes minor damage. A-20's hit Gasmata Island off New
Britain Island.

THURSDAY, 21 OCTOBER 1943

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force): The 72d Fighter
Squadron, 318th Fighter Group, transfers from Hilo Field to Wheeler Field,
Territory of Hawaii with P-39's.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): The 530th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 311th
Fighter-Bomber Group, based at Dinjan, India with A-36's sends a detachment
to operate from Kurmitola, India.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 6 B-24's bomb Nawlang, Burma; the barracks
area is blasted by at least 3 direct hits. 6 P-40's pound the barracks area
at Kunlong, China.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): Bad weather causes 72 B-26's sent
to bomb Evreux/Fauville Airfield in France to abort the mission.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): Colonel Arthur
Thomas takes command of the XII Air Force Service Command. In Italy, XII
Bomber Command B-17's hit a railroad viaduct at Terni and rail and road
bridges in Albania. B-24's hit Orvieto railroad bridge; B-26's and B-25's
bomb bridges at Montalto di Castro and NW of Acquapendente and the railroad
at Orbetello; P-38's bomb a radar station at Pellegrino and the marshalling
yard at Skoplje, Yugoslavia; Royal Air Force (RAF) and US NATAF light and
medium bombers concentrate on Cassino, hitting the town, a bivouac area
nearby, and railroad to the S; vessels along Dalmatian coast of Yugoslavia
are also attacked; XII Air Support Command fighters and fighter-bombers
patrol the Naples area and attack numerous roads, railroads, bridges,
junctions, trucks, gun emplacements, and other targets in the battle area.
  The 93d Fighter Squadron, 81st Fighter Group, transfers from Sidi Ahmed,
Tunisia to Castelvetrano, Sicily with P-39's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, 12 B-25's, with an escort of 36 fighters, attack Kara Airfield on
Bougainville Island. The runway and several buildings suffer direct hits.
  The 23d Bombardment Squadron, Heavy, 5th Bombardment Group (Heavy), based
on Espiritu Santo Island, New Hebrides Islands with B-24's begins operating
from Guadalcanal Island.
  The 75th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 42d Bombardment Group (Medium),
transfers from Guadalcanal Island to the Russell Islands with B-25's.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea,
50+ B-24's bomb positions at Sattelberg; 19 B-25's follow with a low-level
strike: other B-25's carry out a sweep along the Bogadjim road. In the
Bismarck Archipelago, P-40's bomb Gasmata Island off New Britain Island and
attack 2 light cruisers off New Ireland Island, damaging 1 of them.

FRIDAY, 22 OCTOBER 1943

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force): The 819th
Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 30th Bombardment Group (Heavy), arrives at
Barking Sands, Territory of Hawaii with B-24's. The squadron, the ex-3d
Antisubmarine Squadron (Heavy), will fly sea searches and supply the 30th
Group with replacement crews and planes until May 44.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, a B-25 strike against a railroad
bridge on the Ye-u branch line over the Mu River between Ywataung and Monywa
fails to damage the structure. This raid marks the final assault of the year
on this bridge.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): About 60 B-26's bomb Evreux/Fauville
Airfield in France; 140+ others abort missions against other airfields because
of bad weather.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): The Combined
Chiefs of Staff (CCS) approve the plan, submitted by General Henry H "Hap"
Arnold and the US Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), to create a new Air Force
(the Fifteenth) in Italy from part of the Twelfth Air Force to be used in
strategic bombing against Germany as well as in support of ground operations.
  In Italy, XII Bomber Command B-26's bomb railroad bridges N and SE of
Omvieto; B-25's hit a railroad bridge S of Grosseto and Eleusis Airfield,
Greece; The XII Air Support Command, along with other elements of the NATAF,
hit town areas, highways, vehicles, gun positions, railroad communications,
strongpoints, and targets of opportunity at or near San Salvo Teano, Venafro,
Cantalupo el Sannio, Isernia, Cassino, Montenero, and Boiano. Aquino
Airfield is also bombed.
  The 12th Troop Carrier Squadron, 60th Troop Carrier Group, based at Gela,
Sicily, begins operating from Comiso, Sicily with C-47's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, Kahili Airfield on Bougainville Island and the surrounding areas
are pounded by 22 B-24's, 30+ P-39's and P-40's and about 160 USN fighters
and dive bombers. 18 B-24's and USN airplanes hit targets in the Choiseul
Island area. Other USN aircraft hit Kara Airfield on Bougainville Island. A
single B-24 claims hits on a carrier NW of Buka Island.
  HQ 42d Bombardment Group (Medium) and it's 390th Bombardment Squadron
(Medium) transfer from Guadalcanal Island to the Russell Islands with B-25's.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea,
20+ B-25's carry out a low-level attack on the Wewak area, sinking 2 small
freighters, and strafing barges and airplanes; Madang is strafed by 4 P-39's
and 2 Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Boomerangs. 50+ P-40's hit Gasmata
Island off New Britain Island. 11 B-24's bomb Pombelaa nickel mines on
Celebes Island.

SATURDAY, 23 OCTOBER 1943

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force): AAF fighters
shoot down a Japanese flying boat 70 miles (112 km) S of Baker Island in
the Pacific Ocean.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): B-25's bomb the Meza, Burma railroad bridge,
which is still being repaired following the damaging raid of 10 Oct; damage
is done to the approaches.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, XII
Bomber Command B-26's bomb railroad and road bridges at Marsicano and
Montalto di Castro; P-38's hit the airfield at Tirana; B-25's hit a bridge
in Albania; the XII Air Support Command, RAF Desert Air Force (DAF), and
NATBF attack troop concentrations in the Spinete area, and town areas,
vehicles, trains, railroads, highways, bridges, and gun positions at or near
Gaeta, Pescara, Vasto, Isolella, Sulmona, Isernia, Vairano, and Ancona.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, 11 B-24's and 16 P-38's hit Kahili Airfield on Bougainville Island
and 36 P-40's and P-39's join 60+ US Navy dive bombers and fighters in a
strike on Kara Airfield on Bougainville; both Kahili and Kara are attacked
again later in the day, the former by 6 B-24's and 16 USN fighters and the
latter by 35 AAF fighters and 42 USN dive bombers. 6 B-24's bomb Kakasa on
Choiseul Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): 40+ B-24's
escorted by P-38's, bomb Rapopo airstrip on New Britain Island, destroying
about 20 airplanes on the ground; 20 enemy interceptors are claimed shot
down. 9 B-25's hit the Bogadjim area in New Guinea.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 13:02:15 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 24-31 OCT 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-4, Lockheed Lightning
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  F4U, Vought Corsair (USN)
  L-1, Stinson Vigilant
  L-4, Piper Cub/Grasshopper
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  O-47, North American
  O-52, Curtiss Owl
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  Zeke, Mitsubishi A6M, Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter

SUNDAY, 24 OCTOBER 1943

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 14 B-24's and 13 P-40's pound a barracks
area at Co Bi, French Indochina. 8 B-24's bomb Htawgaw, Burma while on a
ferry flight over the Hump.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 200 B-26's bomb airfields at
Montdidier, Beauvais/Nivillers, and Saint-Andre-de-L'Eure, France.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): XII Bomber Command
B-24's of the 98th Bombardment Group (Heavy) hit Wiener-Neustadt, Austria;
the 376th Bombardment Group (Heavy) fails to complete the mission because
of clouds. In Italy, medium bombers hit Tirana Airfield, a railroad bridge
N of Orvieto, and a viaduct at Terni; the XII Air Support Command,
Northwest African Tactical Bomber Force (NATBF), and Royal Air Force (RAF)
Desert Air Force (DAF) attack communications and shipping targets, hitting
vessels, vehicles, trains, roads, bridges, and the town areas in and around
Formia, Sora, Chieti, Minturno, Sessa Aurunca, Popoli, Terracina, between
Ancona-Pedaso, Frosolone (just before it is taken by allied ground forces),
and along the Dalmatian coast of Yugoslavia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, 36 B-25's, along with 24 Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF)
P-40's and 4 US Navy (USN) F4U's, in 1 force, and 20 AAF fighter and 70+ USN
fighters and dive bombers in another force, pound Kahili Airfield on
Bougainville Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): On New Britain
Island in the Bismarck Archipelago, at least 45 bombers are destroyed on
the ground at Vunakanau, Rapopo, and Tobera airstrips during attacks by 50+
B-25's; the B-25's and 50+ escorting P-38's claim 40+ Japanese airplanes
shot down. On New Guinea, A-20's hit enemy positions in the Lae area and
B-24's carry out a light attack on Manokwari.

MONDAY, 25 OCTOBER 1943

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In French Indochina, 6 P-40's strafe shipping
at Haiphong, claiming 3 small boats sunk and damaging 6 larger boats; 2
B-25's and 4 P-40's attack shipping in the Gulf of Tonkin, claiming a 150-ft
(45.7 m) tanker sunk and 200-ft (61 m) freighter damaged.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, XII
Bomber Command P-39's strafe and bomb the landing ground at Podgorica; XII
Air Support Command, NATBF and RAF DAF concentrate on blocking roads and
destroying bridges; town areas, vehicles, radio stations, trains, and vessels
are also attacked; targets attacked are in or near Frosinone, Formia, Gaeta,
Cetraro, along the Sangro River, Kuna, along the Dalmatian coast of
Yugoslavia, W of Lagosta Island and S of Rome; Tarquinia Airfield is also
bombed.
  HQ 324th Fighter Group and it's 314th Fighter Squadron transfer from
Menzel Heurr, Tunisia to Cercola, Italy with P-40's. The squadron, which
has been out of combat since 21 Jul, will fly it's first mission on 30 Oct.
  The 36th Troop Carrier Squadron, 316th Troop Carrier Group, transfers
from Mazara to Castelvetrano, Sicily with C-47's.
  The 64th Fighter Squadron, 57th Fighter Group, transfers from Foggia to
Amendola, Italy with P-40's.
  The 486th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 340th Bombardment Group (Medium),
transfers from Catania, Sicily to San Pancrazio, Italy with B-25's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): The 372d
Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 307th Bombardment Group (Heavy), based on
Espirtu Santo Island in the New Hebrides Islands, begins operating from
Guadalcanal Island with B-24's.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): 60+ B-24's bomb
the Rabaul area on New Britain Island, destroying 20+ airplanes on the
ground. Of the 60-70 fighters which intercept, the B-24's claim 30+ shot
down. In New Guinea, A-20's hit positions near Lae and B-24's carry out a
light strike against Manokwari.

MONDAY, 26 OCTOBER 1943

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): The 71st Liaison Squadron, US Army Forces,
CBI, transfers from Ramgarh to Ledo, India with L-4's and L-5's.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 13 B-24's and 15 P-40's pound railroad
yards at Haiphong, French Indochina. In China, 2 B-25's attack several
vessels at Kiungshan, claiming 4 sunk or badly damaged; later 6 more B-25's
hit shipping nearby, claiming 1 freighter sunk; the airfield at Kiungshan
is strafed by 1 of the B-25's.
  The 21st Photographic Squadron (Light), Fourteenth Air Force, based at
Kunming, China with F-4's and F-5's, sends a fight to operate from
Suichwan, China.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Greece, B-25's
and P-38's of the XII Bomber Command attack the airfields of Salonika/Sedhes
and Megalo Mikra. In Italy, XII Air Support Command and RAF DAF fighters and
fighter-bombers attack gun emplacements and road junctions in the battle
area along the E coast and in the center of Italy, also destroying many
vehicles and parked aircraft in the Ancona area, where railroad facilities
are also hit; a schooner at Porto Civitanova is left smoking; medium bombers
of the NATBF bomb Terracina and an ammunition dump.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, Kahili Airfield on Bougainville Island is hit twice during the day
by B-24's, B-25's, P-38's, P-40's, P-39's, and USN fighters and dive bombers.
The airfield on Buka Island is strafed by P-38's and then bombed and strafed
by B-25's and P-38's. P-39's and P-40's join USN fighters and dive bombers in
a strike on Kara Airfield on Bougainville.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): B-24's fly a
small raid against Pombelaa on Celebes Island; fighters shoot down 2 B-24's;
US gunners claim 11 aircraft downed. B-25's hit targets in Tanimbar Island
in the Moluccas Islands.

WEDNESDAY, 27 OCTOBER 1943

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force): The 4th Reconnaissance Squadron (Special),
Antilles Air Command, transfers from Losey Field to Borinquen Field, Puerto
Rico with L-1's, O-47's, O-52's and P-39's.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 6 B-24's bomb the city of Tungling, China
and claim 8 intercepting Zekes shot down.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Austria, 150+
B-17's and B-24's bomb Wiener-Neustadt and railroad tracks and installations
and bridges at Friedberg and Ebenfurth. Weather severely curtails NATBF
missions and XII Air Support Command operations in support of ground forces.
Fighter-bombers attack Gaeta, Italy and bomb small vessels on the Dalmatian
coast at Opuzen, Yugoslavia.
  HQ 57th Fighter Group and it's 65th and 66th Fighter Squadrons transfer
from Foggia to Amendola, Italy with P-40's.
  The 315th and 316th Fighter Squadrons, 324th Fighter Group, transfer from
Menzel Heurr, Tunisia to Cercola, Italy with P-40's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, B-24's pound Kahili and Kara airfields on Bougainville Island;
P-40's over Kahili claim 3 Zekes shot down. P-38's, P-40's, and P-39's, plus
some Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) P-40's and P-39's, cover the
landing by New Zealand troops on Stirling and Mono Islands. The fighters
claim destruction of 12 Japanese dive bombers attacking the landing force
and afterwards claim 3 fighters shot down.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea,
P-40's and P-39's intercept an escorted Japanese bomber force dropping
supplies over the Sattelberg area; the US fighters claim 12 airplanes downed.
A-20's hit harbor and supply dump area at Gasmata Island off New Britain
Island.

THURSDAY, 28 OCTOBER 1943

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ZONE OF INTERIOR: The AAF School of Applied Tactics at Orlando AAB,
Florida is redesignated the AAF Tactical Center.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 7 B-24's bomb Mangshih; 6 P-40's
strafe a warehouse and revetments at Yoyang Airfield; 3 B-25's and 7 P-38's
hit a barracks at Ft Bayard; and 2 B-25's on a shipping sweep over the S
China Sea damage 2 freighters near Saint John Island and sink a junk W of
Kwangchow Wan.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): Weather prevents
most Twelfth Air Force operations planned for the day. No missions are
flown by the XII Bomber Command. In Italy, XII Air Support Command A-36's
hit several highways and bridges in advance of the battleline and attack
gun positions in the Vairano area and transportation targets in the Rome
area.
  The 28th Troop Carrier Squadron, 60th Troop Carrier Group, transfers from
Gela to Gerbini, Sicily with C-47's.
  The 346th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group, transfers from Rerhaia,
Algeria to Sardinia with P-39's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, P-40's and P-39's join USN fighters and dive bombers in attacks on
Kara Airfield on Bougainville Island and the airfield on Ballale Island.
Almost 200 aircraft are involved in the 2 strikes. Kara airfield is also
pounded by 19 B-24's.
  The 67th Fighter Squadron, 347th Fighter Group, based on Woodlark Island
with P-39's, begins operating form New Georgia Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): P-40's hit
Gasmata Island off New Britain Island. P-47's attack barges at Talasea on
New Britain Island and strafe surrounding area. In New Guinea, P-47's also
strafe the area from Sio to Fortification Point.

FRIDAY, 29 OCTOBER 1943

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 14 B-24's and 16 P-40's pound the smelter
area at Quang Yen, French Indochina. In China, 2 B-25's bomb the
administration building and runway at Ft Bayard airfield; 9 P-40's on
offensive reconnaissance in the Chiuchiang area strafe a 200-ft (320 m)
steamer and attack a train, destroying the locomotive.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, 100+ XII
Bomber Command B-17's, escorted by P-38's, bomb the Genoa marshalling yard
and also hit the Sampierdarena marshalling yard, San Giorgio instrument
factory, and ordnance, electric, and fitting plants and bridges at Genoa-
Ansaldo; the XII Air Support Command, NATBF, and RAF DAF are forced by bad
weather to abandon several missions in support of ground forces. Troops and
gun positions are attacked on 2 occasions and several bridges are hit;
Giulianova harbor and shipping are successfully attacked.
  HQ 57th Bombardment Wing transfers from Naples to Foggia, Italy.
  HQ 60th Troop Carrier Group and it's 11th Troop Carrier Squadron transfer
from Gela to Gerbini, Sicily with C-47's.
  The 487th and 488th Bombardment Squadrons (Medium), 340th Bombardment
Group (Medium), transfer from Catania, Sicily to San Pancrazio, Italy with
B-25's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, B-25's and B-24's, along with 40+ USN aircraft, bomb the airfield
on Buka Island and Bonis Airfield on Bougainville Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): 37 B-24's,
escorted by 53 P-38's, pound Rabaul area on New Britain Island, claiming 45
airplanes destroyed on the ground and in the air. 17 B-25's hit the Madang,
New Guinea area. P-47's attack shipping in Hansa Bay, New Guinea area and
strafe the Cape Gloucester area on New Britain Island. B-25's sink a vessel
off Tanimbar Island in the Moluccas Islands while B-24's bomb Selaroe
airstrip on Tanimbar and attack the Waroe Bay area of New Guinea.
  The 8th Fighter Squadron, 49th Fighter Group, transfers from Tsili Tsili
to Gusap, New Guinea with P-47's.
  The 63d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 43d Bombardment Group (Heavy)
transfers from Port Moresby to Dobodura, New Guinea with B-24's.

SATURDAY, 30 OCTOBER 1943

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (First Air Force): The ground echelons of the 6th
and 22d Antisubmarine Squadrons (Heavy), 479th Antisubmarine Group, are
disbanded at Salk Lake City AAB, Utah. The air echelons are at Dunkeswell,
England with B-24's.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 7 B-25's and 12 P-40's pound the
motor pool and barracks at Shayang; 9 P-38's hit the Chiuchiang dock area;
2 interceptors are shot down.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 5 B-26's bomb Cherbourg/Maupertus
Airfield in France.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, XII
Bomber Command B-24's bomb the Genoa marshalling yard and nearby
Sampierdarena and Genoa-Ansaldo steel works; B-17's bomb Savona and Varazze,
Porto Maurizio, and the Imperia marshalling yard; weather reduces the efforts
of NATAF elements; NATBF B-25's bomb Frosinone; fighter-bombers, mainly of
the XII Air Support Command, hit bridges, junctions, shipping, marshalling
yard, gun positions, and vehicles at several locations, including Giulianova,
Ancona, Ortona, Sessa Aurunca, Mignano, and Cassino.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): On Bougainville
Island in the Solomon Islands, Kara Airfield is bombed by 16 B-24's and
shortly afterwards is hit by 90+ USN dive bombers escorted by USN and AAF
fighters; the airstrip and other targets at Kieta are attacked by 6 B-25's,
12 P-39's and USN aircraft; and the Tonolai harbor area is hit by 8 P-40's
and 17 USN planes.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): B-25's strafe
barges in Rein Bay on New Britain Island.

SUNDAY, 31 OCTOBER 1943

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, in an attempt to knock out the
Japanese base from which fighters are attacking ferrying operations, P-40's
carrying 1000-pound (454 kg) bombs fly 4 strikes against Myitkyina; following
the bomb runs, the fighters strafe AA positions; the attacks cause
considerable damage to the base; B-25's attack the Meza railroad bridge,
scoring hits on the approaches but missing the structure; the bridge remains
unusable due to damage caused by the 10 Oct strike.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): XII Bomber Command
B-17's bomb Antheor viaduct in France. In Italy, B-26's hit Anzio; B-25's
attack docks and shipping at Civitavecchia; P-38's strafe and bomb Tirana
airfield; weather cancels all NATAF attacks except for 11 P-40's which bomb
and strafe a tanker off Split, Yugoslavia, leaving it burning. XII Air
Support Command fighters fly an uneventful naval escort.
  HQ 1st Fighter Group and it's 71st Fighter Squadron transfer from Mateur
to Djedeida, Tunisia with P-38's.
  The 379th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 310th Bombardment Group (Medium),
ceases operating from Oudna and returns to it's base at Menzel Temime,
Tunisia with B-25's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): 20+ B-25's,
with fighter support, bomb Kara Airfield on Bougainville Island in the
Solomon Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): P-40's sink a
barge off the New Britain Island coast.
  The 65th Troop Carrier Squadron, 54th Troop Carrier Wing, ceases operating
from Tsili Tsili and returns to it's base at Nadzab, New Guinea with C-47's.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 11:44:23 -0400
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN - Cannibalism

>
> Regarding cannibalism by Japanese soldiers in WWII, see also two older
> books:
>         Raymond Paull, Retreat from Kokoda (Melbourne, 1958, reprinted
> 1982) and Arthur Swinson, Four Samurai (London, 1968).
> Paull used captured Japanese diaries extensively and remains one of the
> best books on Kokoda. Swinson talks about ritual cannibalism in Burma
> 1944-45 and mentions the infamous Col. Masanobu Tsuji.

Can you talk specifics regarding Tsuji?  He's one of my favorite villains,
thank to Toland.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 14:36:11 -0500
From:    John Lundstrom <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN - Cannibalism

Christopher,
        Not having Swinson's book immediately at hand, I have to go by
memory. As I recollect, in late 1944 or early 1945 while attached to Lt.
Gen. Honda's 33rd Army in Burma, Tsuji and some other staff officers
supposedly killed an Allied pilot POW and ate his liver (sounds like Dr.
Hannibal Lecter). Sought for war crimes, Tsuji hid out in SE Asia until
the early 1950s, when he returned to Japan and got elected in the Diet,
thereby gaining immunity. He supposedly disappeared in the mid 1960s
and the rumor was he went to North Vietnam.
        I would be curious to learn if anything new has come out on
Tsuji since the late 1960s.

John Lundstrom
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 16:13:32 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN - Cannibalism

Chris and others,

One other thing I might mention. There is recorded evidence of
canibalsim during the siege of Leningrad. In Harrison Salisbury's
book "900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad", there is a shocking instance
of civilians having used the remains of deceased persons for
sustenance. They were discovered by elements of the Red Army and
summarily shot.

Terry Moore

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 16:20:40 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: chronology

Con,

There is such a book out by that same title, but the author's name
escapes me. It concerns "Panzer" Meyer and a Canadian general who
met, I think, after the conflict but fought against each other in
Normandy.

I would appreciate a additional info on Blumenson's new book.

Thank you.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 16:34:52 -0500
From:    JEFF HINDS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY <[email-masked]>
Subject: Search of coding methods

Dear discussion group,

I am involved in a research project to identify if the alphabet developed by
Sequoyah of the Cherokee Indian nation was used as an encryption method during
World War II. I am seeking any form of information about this topic, books,
journals, reports, interviews, etc.

Thank you in advance

Jeff Hinds
Middle Tennessee State University

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 16:38:51 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ARCH: Center for Military History Catalog

Marshall University's FTP site, byrd.mu.wvnet.edu, has received a copy of
the listing of GPO publications produced by the Center for Military History.
One plain text file (.txt) and a compressed version (.zip) are to be found in:

/pub/history/military

with the filenames:

cntr_mil_hist.txt (text file)
cntr_mil_hist.zip (binary file)

The text file is 260k+.

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 16:21:09 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Weap: Grenades vs AFV's

> We had a fair number of armored vehicles at the WWIIHRS National Battle
> at Camp Atterbury the weekend before this past one.  It seemed to me
> that every yahoo with a hand grenade thought he could wipe out a tank
> with it.
>
> What kind of effects can a normal hand held, or launched grenade (from a
> rifle) have on an AFV.

Rifle grenades were used by German and the US.  They had hollow charge
warheads sufficient to penetrate the deck armor of most any tank.  But I've
never yet read an account of a tank being knocked out by one, so I suspect
the difficulty of getting a hit rendered them all but useless.

A single hand grenade would carry insufficient explosives to do much
damage.  Certainly, the explosion would have to be confined somehow to give
it direction. If, for instance, the grenade was trapped beneath a drive
sprocket (or a bogie wheel) and the track, it might have enough power to
break the track.  Land mines were sometimes used like this.

A bundle of grenades,  placed in the suspension, would probably blow off a
track.  As another poster mentioned, the Germans commonly used bundled
grenades against the engine deck, or by placing them under the turret
overhang so that the massive turret would direct the explosion downward.

One technique widely taught in Britain in 1940 was to thrust a large log
into the tank's suspension (sort of like putting a stick in the spokes of a
bicycle wheel).  This wouldn't work on a Tiger, but could be very effective
against most vehicles.

One advantage your group has is that they can experience first-hand how
restricted the visibility is from within a buttoned-up tank.  Shorn of its
escorting infantry, a lone tank is actually quite vulnerable to infantry if
they have any cover to speak of.  In that context, many of these
desperation tactics become feasible.  If the tanks stay tight with their
infantry, though, these are virtual suicide.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
(614) 860-5294           Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]
                      Humpty Dumpty was pushed!

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 19:20:18 EDT
From:    Michael Cotter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: The "Philadelphia Experiment"

Well, I've had about five or six answers to my question about the
above subject, and all of them say that it was a hoax.  So, thank you all
for the reply; and if anyone else wishes to reply, please send it to
me personally, as I'm going away for a few days and am setting NOMAIL.

Michael Cotter
Documents Librarian
Joyner Library
East Carolina University
Greenville NC 27858
919/757-6533

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 17:10:17 -0800
From:    Julian E Gomez <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN - Cannibalism

>Hannibal Lecter). Sought for war crimes, Tsuji hid out in SE Asia until
>the early 1950s, when he returned to Japan and got elected in the Diet,
>thereby gaining immunity. He supposedly disappeared in the mid 1960s

Who thought this one up? Why should a war criminal get immunity by becoming
a !@#$%^& politician? Hell, they're usually the first ones who should go.

"I was a precocious child and obviously destined to be a scientist."

        Dr. Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
        Apple Computer, Inc.  408/862-1289 or 996-1010
        [email-masked]  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Oct 1993 20:05:35 EST
From:    Crane Conrad LTC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN - Cannibalism

>Chris and others,
>
>One other thing I might mention. There is recorded evidence of
>canibalsim during the siege of Leningrad. In Harrison Salisbury's
>book "900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad", there is a shocking instance
>of civilians having used the remains of deceased persons for
>sustenance. They were discovered by elements of the Red Army and
>summarily shot.
>
>Terry Moore
>
>Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
>P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
>fax 806-371-5370
>

William Craig in ENEMY AT THE GATES has some horrendous stories about cannibal
gangs in Italian prison camps in Russia after Stalingrad.  They are the worst
I've seen.
                                        Con Crane

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Oct 1993 10:16:45 AEST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Type numbers for USN fighters

Can somebody shed some light on the numbering scheme for Navy fighters. I
know of aircraft such as the F4U, F4F, F6F, but what do they mean?

Wilber.

+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Wilber WILLIAMS                            [email-masked]      |
|Prentice Centre                            Telephone : +61 7 365 4232   |
|The University of Queensland               Facsimile : +61 7 365 4477   |
|Brisbane Qld 4072  AUSTRALIA                                            |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 17 Oct 1993 to 18 Oct 1993
*************************************************