Subject: WWII-L Digest - 7 Oct 1993 to 8 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1993 00:01:09 -0400

There are 11 messages totalling 568 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 8 OCT 43
  2. Missions against Japan
  3. INF: 345th Fighter Wing
  4. Aircraft carriers
  5. Doolittle Raid boosted Allies morale?
  6. Balck & von Mellenthin vs. Warsaw Pact -- NTIS microfiche (2)
  7. 345th FS/350th FG P-39s
  8. Doolittle Raid (2)
  9. USAAF 9-10 OCT 43

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 8 Oct 1993 07:02:03 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 8 OCT 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 8 OCTOBER 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 9 B-24's, supported by 20 P-40's, bomb Gia
Lam Airfield in French Indochina. While on ferry mission over the Hump, 3
B-24's bomb Tengchung, China scoring hits on warehouses, barracks, and a HQ
area.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): VIII Bomber Command Mission 111.
4 locations in Germany are targetted. On this mission the Eighth Air Forces
uses, for the first time, airborne transmitters (Carpet equipment) to jam
German radar.  30 bombers and 3 fighters are lost.
  1. 105 of 118 B-17's dispatched to the shipyard at Breman hit the target
at 1505-1513 hours; they claim 42-2-28 Luftwaffe aircraft; 9 B-17's are
lost and 61 damaged; casualties are 2 KIA, 18 WIA and 90 MIA.
  2. 53 of 56 B-17's dispatched to the industrial area at Breman hit the
target at 1512-1513 hours; they claim 24-7-17 Luftwaffe aircraft; 4 B-17's
are lost and 44 damaged; casualties are 1 KIA, 12 WIA and 41 MIA.
  3. 43 of 55 B-24's dispatched to the U-boat yards at Vegesack hit the
target at 1622-1624 hours; they claim 17-1-7 Luftwaffe aircraft; 3 B-24's
are lost and 21 damaged; casualties are 1 KIA, 5 WIA and 30 MIA.
  4. 156 of 170 B-17's dispatched to the city of Bremen hit the target and
targets of opportunity at 1505-1527 hours; they claim 84-12-33 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 14 B-17's are lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 110 damaged;
casualties are 21 WIA and 140 MIA.
  The B-17's are escorted by 274 P-47's; they claim 12-2-4 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 3 P-47's are lost and 5 damaged; casualties are 2 WIA and 3 MIA.
  VIII Air Support Command Mission 80: 144 B-26's are dispatched to
Lille/Vendeville and Chievres Airfields in France; the mission is abandoned
due to thick haze and generally unsuitable weather; 4 B-26's are damaged.
  VIII Bomber Command Mission 112: 2 B-17's drop 266,336 leaflets over
Rennes at 0005-0011 hours, 9 Oct 43.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Greece, XII
Bomber Command B-24's bomb Tatoi and Eleusis Airfields at Athens, airfields
at Kastelli and Heraklion Airfields on Crete, and Maritsa Airfield on
Rhodes; B-25's also hit Eleusis airfield; P-38's fly convoy cover, patrols,
and sweeps over the Aegean Sea. Weather prevents the XII Air Support
Command from operating. In Italy, the Northwest African Tactical Bomber
Force (NATBF) and Royal Air Force (RAF) Desert Air Force (DAF) hit a bridge
at Minturno and a road junction and military concentration at Termoli.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): B-25's and
P-40's sink a barge off the W coast of Choiseul Island in the Solomon
Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): A single B-24 on
armed reconnaissance bombs Cape Gloucester Airfield on New Britain Island
in the Bismarck Archipelago.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
 Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 8 Oct 1993 07:22:55 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Missions against Japan

During the discussion of Jimmy Doolittle, someone mention that his 18
Apr 42 mission against Japan was actually the second U.S. bombing
mission against the Home Islands.  I have checked two Office of Air
Force History sources and I cannot find any mention of such a raid.  It
is hard for me to believe that another raid occurred in early 1942
because even when we began bombing the Kurile Islands in late 1943, we
used bases on the westernmost Aleutian Islands, e.g., Amchitka, Attu,
etc. and these airfields were not built until 1943.

Would whoever posted this information please update us with any
dates, references, etc.

TIA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 8 Oct 1993 08:41:30 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 345th Fighter Wing

I mentioned yesterday that my roommate had been learning about his
grandfather's duties in WWII.

Andrew's grandmother gave him a copy of a clipping from the local paper,
written in 1945 when Lt. Seeds was deployed back to a local airbase
following the deaths of his two brothers.

The clipping says that he flew P-39's in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy.
Andrew's grandmother also gave him a picture of "a plane like grandpa's,"
taken at an airshow, and it is certainly a P-39 (albeit in Russian
markings, a common configuration for that plane).

The newspaper mentions an incident that occured while strafing an enemy
train; his wing caught a wire which severed something like 3 feet from the
tip, and he found himself flying inverted 15 feet off the ground!  He
managed to bring the plane home, though.  I'm guessing that accounts for
one of the three Bronze Stars he won.  The paper also says he wore the
Presidential Unit Citation and was credited with 50 combat missions.

His grandmother claimed that he served with the 345th Fighter Wing of
the 350th Fighter Group.

I was surprised by all this; I thought the P-39 was considered obsolete
well before Operation Torch, and certainly before the invasion of Sicily.
With aircraft, though, I'm admittedly out of my element, so I figured I'd
defer to some of the experts on this list.  Did the 345th Wing fly P-39's
so late in the war?  Perhaps it hung on as "good enough for ground
attack."

It strikes me as reasonable that he may have trained on a P-39, but later
flown other aircraft in combat.

Also, is there any rule of the thumb for awarding Bronze Stars to fighter
pilots?  E.g., "you get a bronze star when you become an ace" or "after 25
missions" or something?

Apart from that, anything on the 345th/350th, especially w.r.t. their
combat record and the circumstances behind the Unit Citation, would be
appreciated.

Tanks in advance!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
(614) 860-5294           Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]
                      Humpty Dumpty was pushed!

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 7 Oct 1993 15:25:48 +0200
From:    Chris Scogings <[email-masked]>
Subject: Aircraft carriers

I picked this up in one of those (endless) messages on the Doolittle raid:

I know about
  CV = carrier
  CVL = light carrier
  CVE = escort carrier

so what is a CVF ?

Thanks
Chris
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Scogings                      Voice: (27) 331 955645
Computer Science Dept                 Fax: (27) 331 955599
University of Natal
Pietermaritzburg                   E-Mail:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 7 Oct 1993 15:41:23 +0200
From:    Chris Scogings <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Doolittle Raid boosted Allies morale?

>How about it WWII-L?  We (still) have any "Allies" out there to give us
>  your more expert opinion?  Ever hear of the Doolittle Raid?

>From the only South African on WWII-L:

Not only have I heard of it, I've participated briefly in the endless debate
on it.  My mother (in her twenties at the time) claims she never heard of
it, but she spent most of 1942 giving medical attention to the 50 000
Italian POWs held here (Pietermaritzburg, Natal).  About 2000 POWs died of
disease and (probably) malnutrition and are buried here.  South Africans
really only followed the war in Ethiopia, North Africa and Italy where our
own troops were employed.  Most of them have also heard about D-Day and
Arnhem (for some strange reason).  The rest of it is a closed book.

But then most Americans seem to think WWII started in December 1941 and
they're not too sure which side the Russians were on :-)

Chris
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Scogings                      Voice: (27) 331 955645
Computer Science Dept                 Fax: (27) 331 955599
University of Natal
Pietermaritzburg                   E-Mail:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 8 Oct 1993 09:37:35 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Balck & von Mellenthin vs. Warsaw Pact -- NTIS microfiche

Michael,

     You are right.  Jim Dunnigan set it up.

     The National Technical Information Service (NTIS) report number is

                           AD A097 704

     It should be available in papercopy or microfiche.  Check with your
nearest research library for details.

     It wasn't in the report that I (think I) read B & vM got creamed, of
course.

Lou Coatney, WIU

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 8 Oct 1993 10:26:57 -0400
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 345th FS/350th FG P-39s

The 350th Fighter Group was intended from the outset to be a
part of the 12th AF.  They were however a part of the 8th AF
in England from 1 October 1942 until December, when they were
officially handed over to the 12th.  The group apparently flew
no operational missions with the 8th.  Their original aircraft
were to be P-39 and P-400 Airacobras (The P-400 was an Airacobra
built for the British, who rejected the type as unsuitable for
combat in Europe.)  All three squadrons of the group (345th,
346th, 347th Fighter Squadrons) transitioned to the Spitfire V
while in England, and took these aircraft with them to N. Africa
in January 1943, so I don't believe the group ever used the
Airacobra in combat.

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 8 Oct 1993 12:25:08 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Doolittle Raid

Dear Bill,

With reference to your posting which I found very interesting, it
must not be forgotten that there is always a "down side". There is
always a price to pay, and that means, of course, that, in the case
of the Doolittle raid, many innocent people will have to pay with
their life to advance the cause. Such incidents are always
regrettable, but must be accepted as part of the price to pay, and it
was war. Case after case of such incidents can be cited, but, if one
takes all those risks into consideration, then nothing gets
accomplished.

I know you were just pointing out the down side, but, from the
propaganda and tactical results that were attained, the price was
well worth the cost. Don't you agree?

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 8 Oct 1993 13:43:21 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Doolittle Raid

LTC Crane writes:

> Bill Thacker writes of the Doolittle Raid:
> >That's the up side.  I also feel people have been ignoring a major facet of
> >the down side.  I've read estimates in the hundreds of thousands for the
> >number of Chinese civilians killed by the Japanese in reprisal for the
> >raid.  That weighs heavily against any moral gains of the raid.
>
>Bill, I don't understand your logic.  Perhaps if we had known about the
>retalia tions that the raid would bring, that might lessen the moral
>impact, but we cann ot be held responsible for unexpected enemy excesses in
>response to military ac tions.

That's a problem when quoting me out of the context of the discussion.

The point that was being argued was whether or not the Doolittle Raid was a
good call.  There are two approaches one may take when arguing about the
correctness of an historical decision:

 1) Was the decision was the correct one given the information
        available to the decision-maker? (Was it a good bet?)

 2) Was the decision correct in hindsight? (Did it pay off?)

The discussions taking place were clearly of the second type; "We would
have been better off with two more carriers at Coral Sea" is an argument
based in hindsight, as is "The raid removed any resistance by the Japanese
staff to the Midway Operation."  Neither of these results was foreseeable
to Roosevelt at the time the raid was ordered.

If we're doing a hindsight analysis, we're basically asking, "If we could
go back, knowing what we know now, would we do it again?"  All I'm saying
is that if we're playing that game, we *must* consider the Chinese
civilians the Japanese killed, because we, unlike Roosevelt, are not
ignorant of that outcome.

Does that clear it up?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
(614) 860-5294           Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]
                      Humpty Dumpty was pushed!

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 8 Oct 1993 14:31:35 EDT
From:    Robert E George <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Balck & von Mellenthin vs. Warsaw Pact -- NTIS microfiche

>
> Michael,
>
>      You are right.  Jim Dunnigan set it up.

     What? I missed the original posting -- it sounds interesting?
>
>      The National Technical Information Service (NTIS) report number is
>
>                            AD A097 704
>
>      It should be available in papercopy or microfiche.  Check with your
> nearest research library for details.
>
>      It wasn't in the report that I (think I) read B & vM got creamed, of
> course.
>
> Lou Coatney, WIU

Rob George
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 8 Oct 1993 15:16:29 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 9-10 OCT 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-7, Consolidated Liberator
  F4U, Vought Corsair (USN)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt

SATURDAY, 9 OCTOBER 1943

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 12 Kuril-based Japanese bombers attack Attu
Island.

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (First Air Force): The 25th Antisubmarine Squadron,
26th Antisubmarine Wing, transfers from Jacksonville AAFld, Florida to
Clovis AAF, New Mexico and is reassigned to the Second Air Force. The
squadron will be disbanded on 28 Oct 43.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 4 B-25's on a shipping sweep off the SE China
coast in the Amoy-Quemoy area sink a 150-ft (45.7 m) tanker and damage a
patrol vessel, and a freighter. 1 B-25 crashes into a hill and explodes. 10
P-40's bomb fuel storage and barracks at Mangshih, China; 1 P-40 is downed
by ground fire.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): VIII Bomber Command Mission 113.
2 targets in Germany and 2 in Poland are hit; 26 B-17's and 2 B-24's are
lost.
  1. 106 of 115 B-17's hit the industrial area in Anklam, Germany at
1142-1146 hours; they claim 65-19-47 Luftwaffe aircraft, 18 B-17's are
lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 51 damaged; casualties are 25 WIA and 185
MIA.
  2. 96 of 100 B-17's hit the industrial area in Marienburg, Germany at
1253-1302 hours; they claim 9-2-0 Luftwaffe aircraft; 2 B-17's are lost and
13 damaged; casualties are 3 WIA and 21 MIA.
  3. 41 of 51 B-24's hit the U-boat yards at Danzig and the port area at
Gdynia, Poland at 1305 hours; they claim 7-3-4 Luftwaffe aircraft; 2 B-24's
are lost, 1 is damaged beyond repair and 19 damaged; casualties are 1 WIA
and 21 MIA.
  4. 109 of 112 B-17's hit the port area at Gdynia, Poland at 1304-1324
hours; they claim 41-5-10 Luftwaffe aircraft; 6 B-17's are lost, 1 damaged
beyond repair and 62 damaged; casualties are 6 WIA and 60 MIA.
  VIII Air Support Command Mission 81: 66 of 72 B-26's bomb the Woensdrecht
Airfield in the Netherlands at 1516-1526 hours; 26 B-26's are damaged. This
is the final Eighth Air Force B-26 operation; the B-26's will be transferred
to the Ninth Air Force.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): XII Bomber Command
B-17's bomb airfields at Larissa, Athens and Salonika, Greece and Argos,
Italy. B-24's hit Kastelli/Pediada Airfield on Crete. P-38's fly a sweep
between the island of Corfu, Greece and Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia and escort
shipping in the Karpathos Straits between Carpathos and Rhodes. In Italy, the
XII Air Support Command does not operate, but the Northwest African Tactical
Bomber Force (NATBF) and Royal Air Force (RAF) Desert Air Force (DAF) hit
traffic in the Termoli and Montenero areas, guns N of Capua, a HQ at Palata,
and roads and railroads N of Naples.
  HQ 79th Fighter Group transfers from Crotone to Foggia, Italy.
  The 66th, 67th, 68th and 506th Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 44th
Bombardment Group (Heavy), cease operating from Tunis, Tunisia and return
to their base at Shipdham, England with B-24's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, B-25's and P-40's hit barges and concentrations on W Choiseul
Island. P-39's and US Navy F4U's strafe buildings, a radar station, and gun
positions at Poporang Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea,
A-20's and Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) airplanes bomb and strafe
defensive positions in the Sattelberg and Finschhafen areas. B-24's bomb
Makassar on Celebes Island.
  The 2d Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 22d Bombardment Group (Medium),
transfers from Reid River, Australia to Dobodura, New Guinea with B-26's.
They re-entered combat on 5 Oct after R&R in Australia since Jan 43.
  The 65th Troop Carrier Squadron, 54th Troop Carrier Wing, transfers from
Port Moresby to Nadzab, New Guinea. The squadron is operating from Tsili
Tsili, New Guinea with C-47's.

SUNDAY, 10 OCTOBER 1943

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): 7 B-24's pound the Meza railroad bridge in
Burma, destroying the 3 spans on the E end and dropping the end of a central
span into the river.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 20 B-24's and 18 P-40's pound docks at
Haiphong, French Indochina. In China, 8 P-40's bomb a match factory and
ammunition dump at Tengchung; 8 others hit a supply dump and targets of
opportunity in the Lungling area.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): VIII Bomber Command Mission 114.
236 of 274 B-17's hit the railroads and waterways in and around Munster,
Germany at 1503-1518 hours plus targets of opportunity at Coesfeld, Germany
and Enschede Airfield in the Netherlands; they claim 183-21-51 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 30 B-17's are lost, 3 damaged beyond repair and 102 damaged;
casualties are 2 KIA, 18 WIA and 306 MIA. 39 B-24's fly a diversion without
loss or casualties. The B-17's are escorted by 216 P-47's; they claim 19-0-0
Luftwaffe aircraft; 1 P-47 is lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 1 damaged;
casualties are 1 MIA.
  The 360th Fighter Squadron, 356th Fighter Group, transfers from Goxhill
to Martlesham, England with P-47's. The squadron will fly it's first mission
on 15 Oct.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): B-17's bomb 2
airfields at Athens, Greece while B-24's hit Maritsa Airfield on Rhodes and
Calato and Heraklion Airfields on Crete. P-38's escort shipping off Rhodes,
hit Antimachia Airfield in the Dodecanese Islands, and attack vessels in
the harbors of Corfu, Greece and Kotor, Yugoslavia, and off Tivat, Yugoslavia
and hit targets of opportunity in the Aegean Sea and along its E coastline.
In Italy, the NATBF and RAF DAF concentrate on gun positions on both the US
Fifth and British Eighth Army battlefronts; vehicles, railroads, and town
areas also are hit; the attacks take place NE of Capua, at Guglionesi, at
Cassino and Mondragone, between Rome and Terracina, and around the Termoli-
Isernia-Pescara areas.
  HQ 82d Fighter Group and it's 95th, 96th and 97th Fighter Squadron transfer
from San Pancrazio to Lecce, Italy with P-38's.
  A detachment of the 380th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 310th Bombardment
Group (Medium), based at Menzel Temime, Tunisia with B-25's begins operating
from Oudna, Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, 24 B-24's, 50+ P-38's, P-40's, and P-39's, and 50+ US Navy
fighters and dive bombers pound Kahili Airfield on Bougainville Island and
surrounding areas, hitting runways, a fuel dump, supply area, buildings,
and Malabita Hill gun positions. US airplanes claim 15 interceptors shot
down.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea,
A-20's, along with RAAF airplanes, again pound the Sattelberg area. During
the night of 10/11 Oct, B-25's hit Saumlakki on Tanimbar Island in the
Moluccas Islands.
  HQ 6th Photographic Reconnaissance Group arrives at Sydney, New South
Wales, Australia from the US.
  The ground echelon of the 20th Combat Mapping Squadron, 4th Photographic
Group (Reconnaissance), arrives at Sydney, New South Wales, Australia from
the US. The squadron is attached to the 6th Photographic Reconnaissance
Group and will be reassigned to the 6th on 5 Dec 43. The air echelon, with
B-24's and F-7's, will remain in the US until 26 Jan 44.
  The 70th Troop Carrier Squadron, 433d Troop Carrier Group, transfers from
Port Moresby to Nadzab, New Guinea with C-47's.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
 Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 7 Oct 1993 to 8 Oct 1993
***********************************************