Subject: WWII-L Digest - 2 Oct 1993 to 3 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1993 00:00:29 -0400

There are 7 messages totalling 124 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. WWII Memorabilia
  2. Original Patton photos worth anything? ???!!! (5)
  3. Now Remagen Bridge photos? ???!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 3 Oct 1993 10:54:19 EDT
From:    Jim Barr <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Memorabilia

Jon,
    First of all, keep them safe!  Too much history has been lost through
neglect and accidents.  Sounds like quite a trove you've got...I'd urge you to
get in touch with the army in general or the 3rd (?) Army in particular.  They
would doubtless like to at least be able to duplicate the pictures/negatives
for their own use and historians'.
                                    Jim Barr
                                    [email-masked]
                                    [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 3 Oct 1993 14:44:05 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Original Patton photos worth anything? ???!!!

You've got to be kidding.  They're priceless.  Rather than selling them
  to a private collector (who will probably hoard and lose them), please
  consider donating (or selling?) them to West Point or the Patton Museum (and L
(and Library?).

Con Crane, do you suppose the Academy would be interested?

Lou Coatney

Your Dad is/was part (and a producer) of history, my friend!

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 3 Oct 1993 20:34:35 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Original Patton photos worth anything? ???!!!

Or, if you want to retain ownership of them. as you do, get copies of the
photos for yourself, and loan the negatives to one of the mentioned museums
or libraries for a specific amount of time, for a specific purpose...say one
photo from each negative.  The question from a practical and historical stand-
point, at least to me, is of what value or what good is derived from negatives
that are stored in a safe, dry place, without producing the images.  If you're
really interested in a project, and there are enough images, why not produce
a Patton photo history in print or CD-ROM format.

                                        Richard Kaplan
                                        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 3 Oct 1993 21:53:51 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Original Patton photos worth anything? ???!!!

Richard,

     Good ideas all.

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 3 Oct 1993 22:53:49 EST
From:    Jon Glazer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Original Patton photos worth anything? ???!!!

> Or, if you want to retain ownership of them. as you do, get copies of the
> photos for yourself, and loan the negatives to one of the mentioned museums
> or libraries for a specific amount of time, for a specific purpose...say one
> photo from each negative.  The question from a practical and historical stand-
> point, at least to me, is of what value or what good is derived from negatives
> that are stored in a safe, dry place, without producing the images.  If you're
> really interested in a project, and there are enough images, why not produce
> a Patton photo history in print or CD-ROM format.
>

This is a really interesting idea.  I am not sure I have enough
Patton photos.  My father also worked for the army core of engineers
and did reconaisance photos of before and after bomb strikes (Ramagan
bridge for one and numerous other train stations and such).  Would
these be of any interest too?

Jon

 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Glazer                   |
 Affirmative Computer Systems |
 2097 Brittany Road           | Internet:
 Columbus, Ohio  43229        |    [email-masked]
 (614)-431-8943               |

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 3 Oct 1993 22:43:20 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Now Remagen Bridge photos? ???!!!

John, you'd BETTER get those into circulation.  You've got HISTORY in your
  attic!  (Envious congratulations, Jon.)

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 3 Oct 1993 23:42:31 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Original Patton photos worth anything? ???!!!

Jon, again it depends on A: what you want to do or derive from this windfall,
and B: if you think they can or should be shared with the world at large.
The before and after photos probably don't have as much potential appeal to
the general public as the Patton ones do.  If you think there are not enough
pics to produce a work on your own, maybe you can find a collaborator, or
search public resources and archives for more negatives to supplement yours.

                                        Richard Kaplan
                                        [email-masked]

P.S. Keeping in mind the upcoming 50th anniversaries of the breakout from
Normandy, the Bulge, etc., there should be a market for something unique.

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 2 Oct 1993 to 3 Oct 1993
***********************************************