Subject: WWII-L Digest - 14 Oct 1993 to 15 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1993 00:00:16 -0400

There are 14 messages totalling 604 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INF: Comfort Women Speech
  2. GEN: Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary (3)
  3. USAAF 15 OCT 43
  4. A minor correction re:  F4Fs at Coral Sea/Midway
  5. INF: Chronologies (2)
  6. REF: chronology (3)
  7. WEAP: SdKfz. 234 Puma
  8. USAAF 16-17 OCT 43
  9. ARCH: Naval Chronology

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 23:57:06 -0400
From:    Jonathan Shay <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Comfort Women Speech

I want to elaborate: the institution of slavery has only been ended if we
refer exclusively to adult males being openly and legally bought and sold.
 This kind of slavery has been eradicated and that *is* worth celebrating.
 But in many parts of the world women and children are still bought and
sold with the collusion of governmental authorities.  We still have hard
work to do.

Jonathan Shay, M.D., Ph.D.

On Thu, 14 Oct 1993, Mike Long wrote:

> To whomever was looking for info,,,,hope this is of interest to ya....
>
> University of Connecticut's Asian American Cultural Center
> presents the natioanl speaking tour of
>
> "COMFORT WOMEN,"
> Amonita Blajadia, & Nelia Sancho
>
> During WWII, it is etimated that as many as 200,000 women were forced
> to become what the Japanese euphemistically speaking called "comfort
> women" - women forcibly conscripted to provide sexual services to the
> Japanese military throughout Asia. On August 5, 1993 the governmant of
> Japan finally admitted responsibility for this sexual enslavement.
> However, they continue to refuse to commit themselves on the question
> of compensation.
>
> Now many of these women are coming forward to tell their stories and to
> demand restitution. One of them is Amonita Balajadia, a 65-year-old
> Filipina leader of the former comfort women.
>
> "I want to make sure that justice is finally done. But more importantly,
> I want to make sure that what happened to me will never happen again to
> any future generations."
>
> Nelia Sancho is a founder and former chairperson of GABRIELA, the first
> nationwide womens coalition of the Philippines and is an outspoken
> proponent for women's human rights. From the rape of women in the former
> Yugoslavia to the increased traficking of women and children worldwide,
> the issue of the comfort women is not just one for the history books but
> is particularly relevant today.
>
> ASIAN AMERICAN CULTURAL CENTER
> 2131 Hillside Road
> Storrs CT
>
> THURSDAY, OCTOBER 28, 1993
>     4 - 6 PM
> Reception to follow the presentation.
>
>
> Regards,
> Mike Long
> 196 AUDITORIUM ROAD, U-138    |   BITNET: [email-masked]
> STORRS, CONNECTICUT, USA      | INTERNET: [email-masked]
>                    06269-3138 |    PHONE: (203) 486-1352

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 14 Oct 1993 10:03:51 -0500
From:    Jim Brady <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary

>DATE:   Thu, 14 Oct 1993 09:49:44 +0100
>FROM:   Richard Cummings <[email-masked]>
>
>For what it is worth, today is the 50th Anniversary of the
>escape of 300 prisoners from the Sobibor Death Camp.
>10 German and 13 Ukrainian guards were killed before the
>escape.  It has been estimated that about 250,000 Jews
>were murdered in the the gas chambers at Sobibor.
>
>Regards from Munich.  Richard.

Richard,
            Thanks for these anniversary notices -- they are profoundly
interesting. You know, I'm a newspaper feature writer and would love to
have a little advance notice, so that I might get together a story that
would appear on time. The above would have been nice to maybe place a
call to some historians, survivors groups, etc. Maybe track down a
picture somewhere. Anyway, as I see you do keep an eye on these dates,
would you mind sending me a notice, if it isn't too much bother?
        Meanwhile, I'll keep reading. Thanks again!
                                           Yours,
                                          Jim Brady
                           *better email address: [email-masked]

>--==oo00oo==--
>[email-masked]
>RFE/RL Inc
>Munich,Germany

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 07:23:25 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 15 OCT 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 15 OCTOBER 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  F4U, Vought Corsair (USN)
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  Zeke, Mitsubishi A6M, Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (First Air Force): The 25th and 26th Antisubmarine
Wings are disbanded at New York, New York and Miami, Florida.
  The ground echelon of the 23d Antisubmarine Squadron (Heavy), I Bomber
Command, transfers from Drew Field, Tampa, Florida to Smoky Hill AAFld,
Kansas where they will be disbanded on 6 Nov 43. The air echelon is based
at Edinburgh Field, Trinidad with B-25's with a detachment operating from
Zandery Field, Surinam.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): The 89th Fighter Squadron, 80th Fighter
Group, transfers from Karachi to Gushkara, India with P-40's. A detachment
will operate from Sadiya, India during Oct.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS: HQ U.S. Army Air Forces in United Kingdom
(USAAFUK) is activated to exercise supervision over and provide coordination
between the Eighth and Ninth Air Forces in the UK. Lieutenant General Ira C
Eaker is appointed Commanding General in addition to his duties as Commanding
General Eighth Air Force.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): The 55th Fighter Group (38th,
338th and 343d Fighter Squadrons), a much needed P-38 group group, becomes
operational in the UK.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): B-25's of the XII
Bomber Command hit airfields at Salonika and Megalo Mikra, Greece. In Italy,
XII Air Support Command and other elements of the Northwest African Tactical
Air Force (NATAF) hit roads, railroads, bridges, junctions, railway
facilities, town areas, and motor transport at or near Piedimonte, Vairano,
Termoli, Petacciato, Sparanise, and Civitanova, and hit gun positions and
communications in the general battle area N of the Volturno River.
  HQ 47th Bombardment Group (Light) and it's 84th and 85th Bombardment
Squadron (Light) transfer from Gorttaglie to Vincenzo Airfield, Italy with
A-20's.
  HQ 340th Bombardment Group (Medium) and it's 489th Bombardment Squadron
(Medium) transfer from Catania, Sicily to San Pancrazio, Italy with B-25's.
  The detachment of the 71st Fighter Squadron, 1st Fighter Group, operating
from Gambut, Libya with P-38's returns to it's base at Mateur, Tunisia.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, 21 B-24's, 12 P-38's, and 17 US Navy F4U's pound Kahili Airfield
supply and personnel areas on Bougainville Island. 6 Zekes are claimed shot
down. During the late evening B-25's bomb the airfield on Buka Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea,
50+ P-38's and P-40's intercept around 100 Japanese aircraft attacking
Allied shipping in Oro Bay; the US fighters claim 40+ shot down; 4 other
P-40's, encountering 20+ Japanese airplanes E of Finschhafen, claim 5
destroyed; and 70+ medium bombers hit positions and villages from Sio to
Saidor. 6 B-24's bomb Boela on Ceram Island in the Moluccas Islands.
  HQ 22d Bombardment Group and it's 33d and 408th Bombardment Squadrons
(Medium) transfer from Australia to Dobodura, New Guinea with B-25's; the
22d and 33d transfer from Woodstock, Australia and the 408th from Reid River,
Australia.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 08:34:42 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary

Jim Brady writes:

>             Thanks for these anniversary notices -- they are profoundly
> interesting. You know, I'm a newspaper feature writer and would love to
> have a little advance notice, so that I might get together a story that
> would appear on time.

There are a number of references available that provide a chronology of the
war's events.  I would recommend three in particular to anyone looking for
such information:

C.Argyle, _Chronology of World War II_
C.Salmaggi and A.Pallavisini, _2194 Days of War_
R.Goralski, _World War II Almanac, 1931-1945_

Of these, the first two are somewhat better; the third, though, adds some
very interesting information (including a selection of one-paragraph
biographies) not found in the others.

Each gives a day-by-day account, with a summary of that day's events.

Alternately, since Jim works for a newspaper, I should think he would have
ready access to microfilms of 50-year-old newspapers.  They're not as easy
to use; for one thing, many interesting events were not widely known or
understood at the time, and others were kept secret.  On the other hand
they provide some very interesting "trivia" that adds color to history.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
(614) 860-5294           Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]
                      Humpty Dumpty was pushed!

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 09:58:56 -0500
From:    John Lundstrom <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: A minor correction re:  F4Fs at Coral Sea/Midway

Lou,
        F4F-4s (folding wings, six guns, reduced ammo) disliked by some F4F-3
pilots, but difference in performance between the two vis-a-vis the Zero was
negligible. Best thing with F4F-4, a carrier could handle twice as many as
with the fixed-wing F4F-3.
        Regarding SB2C Helldiver, many dive bomber pilots preferred the old
SBD (in 1943 Jocko Clark on the second Yorktown even switched his SB2Cs for
SBDs without authorization), but later models of SB2Cs were much liked for
bigger bomb load and firepower.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 10:59:18 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Chronologies

>
> There are a number of references available that provide a chronology of the
> war's events.  I would recommend three in particular to anyone looking for
> such information:

> C.Argyle, _Chronology of World War II_
> C.Salmaggi and A.Pallavisini, _2194 Days of War_
> R.Goralski, _World War II Almanac, 1931-1945_

Besides Bill's refs, you can check byrd for the U.S. Navy's Chronology of
World War II, which is public domain. Details on request.

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 12:57:47 -0400
From:    "Mr. Scott Hannon" <[email-masked]>
Subject: REF: chronology

Bill Thacker writes:
>There are a number of references available that provide a chronology of the
>war's events...

>R.Goralski, _World War II Almanac, 1931-1945_

>Each gives a day-by-day account, with a summary of that day's events.

I have this one. While it is fairly nice, it does have its share of
so-bad-its-funny goofs. Check out Jan 1 1945 and see what it says about
NORDWIND. It doesn't even get the front right.  :-)

For the 50th anneveray of WW2 (1989), a number of altas/chronology books
were released by various publishers (all trying to cash in on an expected
WW2 craze I guess). Charles Messenger's book is quite nice, covering the
entire war on a monthly basis. The maps and text lack detail, but seeing
the whole war with a global perspective I found quite nice.

For those interested in the US Army in WW2, the Army's _Chronology_ in
the "green" series is very nice. It covers the war day by day on all the
fronts where US troops were engaged. Its not without typos and minor
errors, but the work involved in putting this thing together must have
been massive...I'm impressed! I don't know for sure, but I'd assume it is
still for sale from the US GPO for a reasonable price.

Scott.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 13:33:39 -0400
From:    Akira Takiguchi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: SdKfz. 234 Puma

Bill Huber:
>It's a critter called the "Mammoth" and I recall reading the same
>thing.  Rommel was able to spread out his maps on a table and study
>his options better than in the narrow confines of his hanomag.

     Something to add: two "Mammoth" (Associated Equipment Co. Ltd, type
Matador, so nicknamed by German soldiers) were captured by the Germans
and given the names "Max" and "Moritz" respectively.
--
      Akira Takiguchi  VP, ATSON, Inc.  (a subsidiary of the Asahi Shimbun)
             CANAL TOWER  9-3 Nihonbashi-Koamicho Chuo-ku Tokyo 103  Japan
   +81 3 3666 2881(voice) 2882(fax)  EMAIL TO <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 14:48:36 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 16-17 OCT 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss

SATURDAY, 16 OCTOBER 1943

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS: The Joint Chiefs of Staff send a proposed
directive to General Dwight D Eisenhower, submitted by General Henry H
"Hap" Arnold on 9 Oct, for the establishment of a new Air Force (the
Fifteenth) in Italy to be used when needed as part of the Combined Bomber
Offensive (CBO) against strategic targets in Germany.

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force): HQ 41st
Bombardment Group (Medium) arrives at Hickam Field, Oahu, Territory of
Hawaii from the US.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): Fighter patrols are increased from 4 to 8
aircraft with little effect on enemy marauders over the Hump. 3 A-36's fail
to return from a mission over Sumprabum, Burma.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In the United Kingdom, HQ Ninth
Air Force is established at Sunninghill as a tactical Air Force with
Lieutenant General Lewis H Brereton as Commanding General. The 3d Bombardment
Wing at Marks Hall is transferred from the VIII Air Support Command, Eighth Air
Force to the IX Bomber Command commanded by Major General Frederick L Anderson.
(HQ IX Bomber Command will not be established in England until Nov 43.)  The
four B-26 groups transferred are:
  322d Bombardment Group (Medium) [449th, 450th, 451st and 452d Bombardment
       Squadrons (Medium)]
  323d Bombardment Group (Medium) [453d, 454th, 455th and 456th Bombardment
       Squadrons (Medium)]
  387th Bombardment Group (Medium) [556th, 557th, 558th and 559th Bombardment
       Squadrons (Medium)]
  388th Bombardment Group (Medium) [560th, 561st, 562d and 563d Bombardment
       Squadrons (Medium)]
The IX Troop Carrier Command is activated at Cottesmore with Brigadier General
Benjamin F Giles as Commanding General; the 315th Troop Carrier Group (34th and
43d Troop Carrier Squadrons with C-47's) is transferred from from the Eighth
Air Force; and the 434th Troop Carrier Group and it's 71st, 72d, 73d and 74th
Troop Carrier Squadrons that arrived on 9 Oct are also assigned. The IX Air
Service Command is re-formed under Major General Henry J Miller.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): P-38's bomb a vessel
in Leukas Channel off the W coast of Greece. In Italy, XII Bomber Command
B-25's bomb the marshalling yard and rail lines, railroad tunnel, highway
underpass, warehouses, industrial buildings, and gas works in or near Bologna;
XII Air Support Command and other Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF)
elements provide close support to the US Fifth and British Eighth Armies;
fighters and light and medium bombers hit communications centers of Venafro,
Vairano, Sparanise, Latina, Alife, and the town of Pietravairano; roads,
railroads, and junctions in the areas SE of Rome to the bomb line, between
Vasto and Pescara, and at Mondragone; gun positions, trucks, and military
concentrations near Vinchiaturo, Boiano, and Termoli; landing ground of
Cisterna di Latina; and several other targets in the area between Rome and
Ancona.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, 8 B-24's bomb Kara Airfield on Bougainville Island. 6 B-25's hit
the airfield on Ballale Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea,
60+ B-25's attack the Alexishafen area, hit coastal targets between Reiss
Point and Sio, and bomb the airfield at Wewak. A-20's bomb and strafe Gasmata
Island off New Britain Island. A lone B-24 destroys a patrol craft between
Hoskins and Rabaul on New Britain Island.

SUNDAY, 17 OCTOBER 1943

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ANTISUBMARINE WARFARE (First Air Force): The 15th Antisubmarine Squadron
(Heavy), Second Air Force, is transferred from Jacksonville AAFld, Florida
to Wendover Field, Utah where it will be disbanded on 2 Nov 43.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): Heavy and medium bombers bomb Naba, Burma.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 7 B-24's bomb Htawgaw, Burma.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): HQ 50th Troop Carrier Wing arrives
at Cottesmore, England from the US.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): Weather prevents
operations by the XII Bomber Command. US and Royal Air Force (RAF) units of
the Northwest African Tactical Air Force (NATAF) operate at a reduced pace.
In Italy, light and medium bombers hit the towns of Teano and Alife and motor
transport at Benedello, Penna, and Pedesso; fighter-bombers bomb and strafe
troops, trucks, guns, train stations, and a bridge near Vinchiaturo, Benedello,
Teramo, and Sparanise; other fighters strafe locomotives S of Ancona.
  The 97th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 47th Bombardment Group (Light),
transfers from Grottaglie to Vincenzo Airfield, Italy with A-20's.
  The 99th Fighter Squadron, XII Air Support Command, transfers from
Barcellona, Sicily to Foggia, Italy with P-40's.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea, 18
A-20's and B-25's bomb and strafe Sattelberg and 7 B-25's hit Wewak and Boram
Airfield with a low-level attack during which 15 aircraft are destroyed on the
ground and 4 claimed shot down. 4 P-39's intercept 18 airplanes attacking
Finschhafen, claiming 6 shot down. 40+ fighters intercept a large group of
enemy aircraft attempting to attack Oro Bay; US fighters claim 24 shot down. 6
B-24's bomb Ternate Island in the Moluccas, a 2,200-mile (3,520 km) round trip.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 13:49:41 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Chronologies

Larry,

Would greatly appreciate info on access to Navy's chronology of war.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 15:13:36 -0500
From:    Jim Brady <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: Sobibor Death Camp Escape Anniversary

Bill,
       Thanks for the suggestions (checking newspaper microfilm for
WWII trivia/events/anniversaries). As you say, it does have limitations
but also gives some ideas.
                              Jim

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 19:18:37 -0400
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: chronology

> Bill Thacker writes:
> been massive...I'm impressed! I don't know for sure, but I'd assume it is
> still for sale from the US GPO for a reasonable price.
>
> Scott.
 Yes it is I just picked it up a couple months ago at the GPO in Laurel.
The updated Military History Subject List is also available from them now.

Larry I promise I will mail you one, maybe you can scan it in and put it
online.

A fair number of the Green books are still available. Breakout and Pursuit is
NOT :-( and I was told there are no plans to reprint. I take that with a shread
of hope at least on volume was shown as newly reprinted and available in both
cloth & paper binding. The Subject Guide for the Geen books is only available
in paper bound edition with what appears to be a new cover tagged 50th
anniverery edition. I was over there about a week ago and picked up about 7
books (spent ~$150, don't let my wife know)

When I get home I can put out details about the chronolgy volume and how to get
the subject guide to order books from

Bob Smart ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 19:59:20 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: chronology

>  Yes it is I just picked it up a couple months ago at the GPO in Laurel.
> The updated Military History Subject List is also available from them now.
>
> Larry I promise I will mail you one, maybe you can scan it in and put it
> online.

Copacetic. I've just gained access to a very nice flat-bed scanner so all I
need is time to fiddle with the file. Shouldn't take too long.

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1993 20:43:42 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ARCH: Naval Chronology

The United States Naval Chronology of World War II, 1955 edition is available
from:
byrd.mu.wvnet.edu
/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology

The book is broken into sections with the following file names, corresponding
to calendar years:
preface.txt
chr39.txt
chr40.txt
chr41.txt
chr42.txt
chr43.txt
chr44.txt
chr45.txt

The entire file is compressed into a single zip file:
navchr.zip

The book is in the public domain.

The International Naval Chronology of World War II is in progress. This will
be based on the above work but will cover all naval actions during the war
(no, I'm not crazy, I really will make a valiant attempt to cover the naval
war to the best of my ability. The current file is about twice the size of
the US chronology and EVERY additional entry will have attributions from
at least two sources. Hey, everybody's got to have a hobby, yes? ;-)

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 14 Oct 1993 to 15 Oct 1993
*************************************************