Subject: WWII-L Digest - 1 Oct 1993 to 2 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 00:00:47 -0400

There are 6 messages totalling 141 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. REF: Volume 14 of the series _Militaerfahrzeuge_
  2. GEN: CIA Documents Released
  3. Research Help -WWII- 969th Field Artillery
  4. WW2 Urban Legends/Folklore
  5. <No subject given>
  6. WWII Memorabilia

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Oct 1993 09:25:31 -0400
From:    Akira Takiguchi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: Volume 14 of the series _Militaerfahrzeuge_

Schiffer Publishing Ltd.  77 Lower Valley Road Atglen, PA 19310
Phone: +1 (215)593-1777  FAX: +1 (215)593-2022

As far as I know, they have published PzKpfw III (vol 3) and
Sturmgeschuetze (vol 13).  I've never seen advertised Panther
(vol 9).  $29.95-$39.95.

BTW, Some of you old WWII-Lers may remember an argument I made about
the "(official) names of panzers".  Volume 14 carefully takes care
of that problem!  Names are collected from various documents and
listed with date.  For example, Panzer IV/70 was called by ~20
different names.  Fuehrer's order was to call it _Panzer IV lang_
(on July 18th, 1944).

I really hope that next volume will cover "schwere Jagdpanzer"!
--
      Akira Takiguchi  VP, ATSON, Inc.  (a subsidiary of the Asahi Shimbun)
             CANAL TOWER  9-3 Nihonbashi-Koamicho Chuo-ku Tokyo 103  Japan
   +81 3 3666 2881(voice) 2882(fax)  EMAIL TO <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Oct 1993 10:56:01 EDT
From:    lbscott <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: CIA Documents Released

The order was forwarded to collection development. Inge says that they have box
es of orders. Isuspect the answer is yes and no. Yes I ordered it, no I doubt t
he order has gone out of the building. As to if it will go out, your guess is a
s good as mine. Some stuff you ask for get ordered, others do not. I suspect th
at when lillie gets the book in doc ref, we will know it got ordered. You might
 check Marquis.....ha.ha.aha.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Oct 1993 12:44:31 -0400
From:    Lydia Fish <[email-masked]>
Subject: Research Help -WWII- 969th Field Artillery

Forwarded from HISTORY

Please reply to original sender.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
From:         David Rattray <[email-masked]>
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and Unix, NYC
Subject:      Research help - WWII - 969th Field Artillery
To:           Multiple recipients of list HISTORY <[email-masked]>

I am trying to locate WWII veterans of the 969th Field Artillery Battalion
who served in the Battle of the Bulge for a PBS film marking the 50th
anniversary of the event.  This battalion, composed of afro-American men from
all over the United States received a Unit Citation for their role in
holding a critical crossroads near Bastogne for nine days. Their actions
allowed General Patton's forces access to the besieged region.

We are well represented with men from other Divisions, units, etc... but
are finding the members of the 969th hard to locate.  Any help or
suggestions wold be welcome.

David Rattray
Associate Producer
Lennon Documentary Group
NYC

--Boundary (ID qJkEsRCk9+hAtgSmjgEuhw)--

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Oct 1993 13:46:49 -0400
From:    Max Hare <[email-masked]>
Subject: WW2 Urban Legends/Folklore

Folks,

This talk of WW2 ghosts is interesting.  When I worked at the Pima Air
Museum in Tucson Arizona we had a B-29 on static display that had
actually seen combat over Japan.

People were always stopping the staff and asking "is this the haunted
B-29".....evidently at some air museum a B-29 is always found by the
arriving staff with all its hatches, windows open...things moved etc. at
opening in the morning even though the plane is in a locked area.

We never had anything like this happen to our B-29.  Has anyone heard of
another "haunted" aircraft at a static museum.

At Pima we had acres of airplanes and often I used to fill in for
security and drive the perimeter in a jeep at night...this was creepy
enough with the wind in the antena wires, loose ailerons flapping etc.!

Max C. Calderwood
University of Southern Maine
Gorham, ME
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Oct 1993 14:21:51 EDT
From:    "Rogers, Maureen <New Paltz High School>" <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

subscribe wwII

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Oct 1993 21:59:45 EST
From:    Jon Glazer <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWII Memorabilia

I was wonder (just wondering)...

My father is a veteran of WWII and landed on D-Day and all that...
but for a large part of the war, he was Gen. Patton's personal
photographer (rode his trian and followed him everywhere).  I am
currently in posession of a number of original photographs of Patton
and various members of his entorage (sp?).  This, of course, includes
the negatives.

The question is... would any of this be worth anything?  Not that I
would part with them but if they are, I would like to make sure that
they are stored in a secure, fire-proof place.

Thanks for any info...

Jon

 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Glazer                   | MHS (preferred):
 Affirmative Computer Systems |    jongla@affirm (614)-431-0122
 2097 Brittany Road           | Internet:
 Columbus, Ohio  43229        |    [email-masked]
 (614)-431-8943               |

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 1 Oct 1993 to 2 Oct 1993
***********************************************