Subject: WWII-L Digest - 28 Oct 1993 to 29 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1993 00:04:42 -0400

There are 25 messages totalling 684 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. hello
  2. Monty's move into the Netherlands
  3. NOST: First WWII book (6)
  4. Allied Air Campaign in Europe (fwd) (5)
  5. NOST: 60s TV series tangent (2)
  6. INF: Help me find a "Yank" issue.
  7. ADMIN: New Flag "EDU"
  8. Monty's Move into Holland
  9. NOST: Magazines (was First Books...)
 10. Bataan Death March
 11. Recognition to WWI Vets
 12. MISC: What is "Kohlenklau"?
 13. <No subject given>
 14. NOST:First WWII book
 15. ARCH: New files at byrd.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Oct 1993 21:30:46 -0500
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: hello

I want to join and participate in your discussions

Please forward info.....
Thank you

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 12:22:00 CET
From:    Peter de Lange <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Monty's move into the Netherlands

Antwerpen.
In 1944 it was very difficult for all kind of allies to open deep water
ports in the liberated countries,the Germans keep them all occupied with
special forces, so you can't blame only Montgomery for this.

Antwerpen was special difficult because it is about 50 miles from the
sea on the river Schelde. The running German army was blocked in the
north by the river Schelde, they could't cross it easely, the river
is about 5 miles wide, so it takes the Allies a lot of fighting to
eliminate them.

But this was only the easy part, the hard part was the north riverbank,
that are to former islands, linked together by dikes with only a
road and a railway. The islands were a part of Hitlers Atlantic wall
a defence line at the coast. In Normandy  this line was broken but
in the Netherlands it was still intact and manned with about a
half-million well organised defenders and not with a running army.

There were two ways to attack, from the west, that means from the sea,
so you need something like Normandie, with the Germans exact knowing
were it comes.
The second way was from the East, that means an open dike of 10 km,
tanks and jeeps can move only on the middle of the road, otherwise they
are drowning in the mud and on the road they are sitting ducks for
the German artillery.
If you succeded you was only on the first island (Zuid-Beveland) then
you had a second dike to the second island (Walcheren), a island with
a lot off big guns.

So IMO it was almost impossible to liberate the North river bank and all
the planning for Arnhem must be with supply from Normandy.

In october 1944 they started to liberate the 2 islands at the end they
succeded but it became one of the big allied disasters with a lot
of never told stories.
Peter de Lange
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 08:08:00 -0400
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: First WWII book

It seems I have always been reading about WW2. MY grand parents had a lot of
American Heritage books around both the regular thin ones and the Illustrated
junior series. There were the ones on the wild west, pilgrims, etc but there
was the one on D-Day. and the big thick ons on the Civil War & WW2. used to
spend hours on the enclosed porch at their house (actually finished off and
heated as a library/den with those books. I also remember the Landmark series
of books on American History. Gettysburg by McKnley Cantor,Battle of the Bulge,
one on Fighter pilots, D-Day again. My mother was a twelve month secretary at
one of the junior high schools and sometime I had to spend days with her in the
summer. I could borrow the key to the Library as long as I didn't mess anything
up. I devoured the entire 940.54, 362?, 62x sections then I found the old
National Geos and Life magazines. fantastic coverage of 'Life on a CVE, with
our troops in North Africa, etc. Even the ads were interesting.

Of course TV was Combat and The Gallant Men (anyone else remember that one?)
and saturday morning was 'The Big Picture' (Produced by the U.S. Army) and
'Contrails'(by the Air Force) of course Rocky Jones ( I can't remember the
whole title, it was a space adventure) and Sky King filled out the morning.

Ah, the good old days

Bob Smart ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 07:17:54 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: First WWII book

Bob's remarks about old National Geographics reminded me of something I would
have liked to have seen, that being the "weekly" magazines, such as Time and
Newsweek (assuming they were both being published during the war, I know not)
republished intact. The war news, news from the home front, the issues that
were of concern to the "average" citizen of the time, all would provide a
"window" on the times.

I know we have people from the media on this list, anybody from Time-Life?
Maybe we could stir somebody into atleast investigating the possiblity.

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 08:36:11 EDT
From:    Charles Reace <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Allied Air Campaign in Europe (fwd)

If memory servers (which it often does not these days), there was a
book called _Full_Circle_ which also came to the conclusion that the
strategic bombing campaign was a wasted effort.  Due to the very
inaccurate high-level bomb delivery, with the circular error probable
being measured in *miles* (even with the vaunted Norden sight), it was
the author's opinion that allocating the personnel and manufacturing
resources to interdiction attacks (bridges, rail yards, etc.) would
have been much more useful.  It doesn't matter how many tanks they
build if they cannot get them, their fuel, or their ammunition to the
front.

  __|  __|  __|  |  Charles Reace <[email-masked]>
_|   _|   _|     |
 |       | |     |  Computer Sciences Corp., Integrated Systems Div.
 ___|____/ ___|  |  304 W. Rte. 38, Moorestown, NJ 08057

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 09:23:10 EST
From:    Crane Conrad LTC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Allied Air Campaign in Europe (fwd)

>If memory servers (which it often does not these days), there was a
>book called _Full_Circle_ which also came to the conclusion that the
>strategic bombing campaign was a wasted effort.  Due to the very
>inaccurate high-level bomb delivery, with the circular error probable
>being measured in *miles* (even with the vaunted Norden sight), it was
>the author's opinion that allocating the personnel and manufacturing
>resources to interdiction attacks (bridges, rail yards, etc.) would
>have been much more useful.  It doesn't matter how many tanks they
>build if they cannot get them, their fuel, or their ammunition to the
>front.
>
>  __|  __|  __|  |  Charles Reace <[email-masked]>
>_|   _|   _|     |
> |       | |     |  Computer Sciences Corp., Integrated Systems Div.
> ___|____/ ___|  |  304 W. Rte. 38, Moorestown, NJ 08057

Charles,
     Without getting too enmeshed in the eternal debate over the effectiveness
of strategic bombing, I must say that the author you mention is way off the
mark.  By the end of the war precision bombing was actually more accurate than
was expected in 1941, but it was never as good as press releases said, and
nowhere near pinpoint.  As for transportation attacks, the Allies did make
those a primary priority and pretty much shut down German rail traffic by early
1945.  Al Mierzejewski's book does a terrific job covering that aspect of the
air campaign.It's called THE COLLAPSE OF THE GERMAN WAR ECONOMY 1944-1945:
ALLIED AIR POWER AND THE GERMAN NATIONAL RAILWAY.

                                        LTC Con Crane
                                        USMA

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 08:27:03 -0500
From:    WILLIAM HUBER - SCDR <[email-masked]>
Subject: NOST: 60s TV series tangent

In Terry's message of 28 Oct 1993 at 1725 CDT, he sez:
> Roger,
>
> Thanks a million. I will look into that series, and the only large-
> chain video store here is Blockbuster Video. I am certain that they
> would have that as well.
>
> Thanks again for the lead, and I will look into it.
>
> Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College

Howdy howdy folks,

Since I more or less initiated this tangent string I thought I'd help
further it by letting you know what I found out.  I just happened to
be at Sound Warehouse here in San Antonio last night and was going
through their title catalog of video tapes.  I found that there are
six episodes of "Combat!" that were released on video but, of course,
the joint was too low class to actually have them on hand... geez.

There was no listing for "Rat Patrol" at all.  Did anybody get lucky
at another store (finding either series I mean - c'mon guys this *is*
WWII-L. Get your minds out of the gutter :-/  )?

       Have a dandy Friday,  Bill Huber
                             [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 09:57:59 EDT
From:    Charles Reace <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Allied Air Campaign in Europe (fwd)

LTC Crane,

The scary thought I've had for a long time is that when you see the
reports on German arms production from '43-'45, I shudder to think what
they would have been if our (US and Brit.) strategic bomber force had
not been what it was!  If we never progressed beyond the quality/quantity
of the German bomber force, I wonder how much of Europe would now have
German as the official language?

Charles

PS:  I did not mean to imply I thought industrial bombing had no useful
effects; but as in most similar cases, effectiveness claims were over-
estimated at the time.  I had to laugh recently when I saw an author
complaining that the smart-weapon used in Desert Storm had an on-target
percentage of less than 50%.  Imagine if we'd had that accuracy in WWII!

  __|  __|  __|  |  Charles Reace <[email-masked]>
_|   _|   _|     |
 |       | |     |  Computer Sciences Corp., Integrated Systems Div.
 ___|____/ ___|  |  304 W. Rte. 38, Moorestown, NJ 08057

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 07:26:56 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: First WWII book

Larry  Jewell said:

>Bob's remarks about old National Geographics reminded me of something I would
>have liked to have seen, that being the "weekly" magazines, such as Time and
>Newsweek (assuming they were both being published during the war, I know not)
>republished intact. The war news, news from the home front, the issues that
>were of concern to the "average" citizen of the time, all would provide a
>"window" on the times.

Time magazine was certainly published during the war.  There is an old
magazine/newspaper dealer in our area (Seattle/Tacoma) who comes to antique
shows.  I think he gets around $25.00 for a copy of that vintage.  At one
of the shows I saw a 1944 Seattle Paper account of a destroyer sinking a
Japanese submarine by a Captain Robert Hall Smith.  There is a page
describing this in one of Morison's books.  Since Robert Hall Smith was the
grandfather of a good friend of mine, I called his mother, (Smith's
daughter) and she told me to buy the  newspaper for her.

I also bought some 42-43 Life magazines at a flea market.  One of them has
an article about one of the major naval actions, (the exact one escapes me
now) but I believe it was midway or one off Guadacanal.  Fascinating to
read the stories and ads to see how much times have changed.

As an aside, Robert Hall Smith had an eventful war.  He was at Pearl,
spending part of the day trying to swim to his destroyer.  His ship Henley
was part of the escort for the invasion of Guadacanal (the first ship to
spot the island), but somehow was not there for the battle of Savo Island.
He had one ship (Blue) sunk under him and later sank a Japanese sub by
ramming it.  I read a part of his war diary, which was interesting because
I could relate his descriptions with events I had read about in history
books.

John Riegsecker                                 (206) 756-3566
Dept of Math and Computer Science               [email-masked]
University of Puget Sound

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 08:12:39 PDT
From:    Peter Trott <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Help me find a "Yank" issue.

        I hope I am posting under the correct subject heading...  I am
hoping that some of you might be able to help me locate a copy or
reproduction of a specific issue of Yank magazine, or at least be able
to point me in the right direction.

        My Dad was inducted into the USAAF on August 5th, 1942.  He
was eventually assigned to the 320th Fighter Squadron at Westover
Field in Massachusetts, and trained and assigned to develop gunnery
film.  On May 17th, he was sent to Naples on the Cristobal, arriving
on June 1st.  He was stationed at Solenzara Air Base, where he moved
in with the Headquarters Squadron, Photo Section, of the 321st Bomb
Group (on loan from the 320th.)  And here is where the Yank magazine
comes in.

        Dad staged a photograph of himself and a K8AB camera, to
illustrate the ongoing battle with the "gremlins" in that type of
camera.  The photo shows him with his right hand over his mouth and
a monkey wrench in his left hand, about to bean a "gremlin" (which is
a lightbulb with a face painted on it) poping out of the top of the
camera on what looks to be an unraveled spring.  A second lightbulb
gremlin is coming out of the side of the camera.  Anyway, as Dad tells
it, someone in the outfit sent the photo to Yank magazine, and although
he never saw a copy, he was told that the photo appeared on the cover
of one issue.

        In March of '45, he moved to Falconara Airfield in Northern Italy.

        Those are the only dates I have.  The Yank issue in question
must have come out between June 1, 1944, and March of 1945.  If anyone
here has any idea where I might begin researching this issue of Yank
(keeping in mind that his picture may not have actually made the cover,
but may be inside the issue, or may not have even gotten into an issue...)
I would be very grateful for the help.

        As far as the discussion in this group of getting histories from
the living veterans of WWII, I finally talked Dad into putting some
stuff on paper.  He has a good memory, and quite a few photographs of
both his stateside service and his overseas service.  I would love to
find him a copy or a photocopy of this Yank magazine, so that he can
finally see it.  It should bring back some memories, and perhaps a few
more tales of his time in the service.

Sincerely,
Peter Trott ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 10:54:15 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: New Flag "EDU"

I'm adding the EDU flag to cover conversation on the teaching of the war.
Appropriate topics will include "What text books cover (fill in the blank)
best?", "Are the current documentaries accurate/biased/revisionist?",
"If you had to assign three books for required reading and three for
recommended reading for a college level survey course of the war, what
would you list?"

As usual, the flags are "suggested" until the traffic gets too heavy,
then they are "recommended" (with an implied "required" when mail gets
very heavy.)

I'll post an updated intro next Monday, grab a copy if you don't already
have one. If anyone wants to see a flag not now listed, send me a note
and we'll talk.

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 08:15:31 EDT
From:    "William B. Thacker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: First WWII book

"Lakeville Senior High" wrote:

> Well, I went back to my middle school library and 20 years later the same
> books were on the shelf.

I really hope you're a teacher now... otherwise, junior high must have
been a real bear for you!  8-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker             AT&T Network Systems       attmail!att!cbemf!wbt
(614) 860-5294           Columbus, Ohio              [email-masked]
                      Humpty Dumpty was pushed!

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 11:18:00 CDT
From:    Bill Kupersmith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Monty's Move into Holland

MARKET GARDEN was utterly unlike any operation Montgomery
had ever attempted.  I vaguely recall some writer remarking
on what an abberation for Montgomery the plan was:  "As if
a middle-aged clergyman of exemplary habits were
to commit his first burglary, and tried to break into the
Bank of England."  The quotation probably isn't quite accurate
but that is the gist.
--Bill Kupersmith
University of Iowa

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 12:05:27 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: First WWII book

Larry,

Or even those of "Life" and "The Saturday Evening Post". I recently
saw some for sale in Lufkin, TX that would certainly give one a good
idea of the life of the times. Many were rare.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 12:07:13 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: 60s TV series tangent

Bill,

Haven't seen Rat Patrol offered anywhere, but, then I haven't been
looking for it. I will see what is offered around here.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 12:18:44 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: First WWII book

Bob,

Amen, to that. Your mentioning of those old '50's shows and "The
Gallant Men" with Peter Breck really bring back old memories.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 12:21:46 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Allied Air Campaign in Europe (fwd)

Charles,

To me the scary thing is, if Germany had started the war with its
production capacity at the level of attainment in 1944, what the
consequences would have been. We can be thankful that Albert Speer
and his colleage Saur weren't managing the war economy in 1939 or
even in 1940, but, then, the war" wasn't supposed to last 6 months."
Ha!

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 13:53:30 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: NOST: Magazines (was First Books...)

The magazine thread reminds me...

Although I am looking for any and all Esquire magazines that contain
Varga and/or Petty Girls still intact, I am specifically looking for
one or more copies of the December 1943 Esquire.

Continued local pressure on magazine dealers is continuing to find
Esquires that are not part of our collection(s), but December '43
still eludes all.

Anyone got a stash of old WWII era Esquires laying around they may
be willing to part with?

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 15:07:49 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March

Ken,

So would I. It seems to me the liklihood of them getting together,
much less having survived the conflict at all under those
circumstances would enter the realm of a miracle. But, who knows, far
more stranger and far-out possiblities have had a happy ending.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 15:11:54 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Recognition to WWI Vets

To all interested parties,

It may be of interest that just yesterday, medals were presented to
the surviving vets of WWI living in the Amarillo area. The ceremony
was attended by representatives of the military, all area state
lawmakers, who made the presentations.

Seven were able to attend and another 18 will be sent their award.

Such recognition is long overdue not just these wonderful people, but
all who have served this country honorably.

Terry Moore

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 16:25:27 -0400
From:    Akira Takiguchi <[email-masked]>
Subject: MISC: What is "Kohlenklau"?

     "Kohlenklau" (coal thief) seems to have been a fairly famous character
in WWII Germany.  A Mardar II with this circular face from heavy tank
hunter batallion 561 became famous because Tamiya used it in the box
art of their plastic model kit.  There is a picture of a "Kohlenklau" in
the Tigerfibel (Tiger tank's training manual).  Another example can be
found on a Me 109.

     Does anybody know what this character is?  Was it a cartoon character?
--
       Akira Takiguchi  at ATSON, Inc. (a subsidiary of the Asahi Shimbun)
                   WAKO GINZA bldg.  8-10-4 Ginza Chuo-ku Tokyo 104  Japan
   +81 3 3289 7051(voice) 7066(fax)  EMAIL TO <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 13:18:29 -0400
From:    NNTP server account <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

Newsgroups: mail.wwii-l
Path: kilo.engr.mun.ca!skenny
From: [email-masked] (Shawn Kenny)
Subject: Re: Monty's move into the Netherlands
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked] (NNTP server account)
Organization: Memorial University of Newfoundland
References: <[email-masked]>
Distribution: mun
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1993 16:57:29 GMT

[email-masked] (Peter de Lange) writes:

>So IMO it was almost impossible to liberate the North river bank and all
>the planning for Arnhem must be with supply from Normandy.

>In october 1944 they started to liberate the 2 islands at the end they
>succeded but it became one of the big allied disasters with a lot
>of never told stories.
>Peter de Lange
>[email-masked]

The main problem for the forces trying to clear the channel ports, from
Normandy up to Antwerp, was political.  The Canadian 1st Army, 1st Polish
Armoured, Royal Netherlands Brigade (Princess Irene's), 1st Belgian
Infantry Brigade and 1st Czechoslovak Independent Armoured Brigade were
given a very difficult task with limited resources and support.  The units
had to capture the ports "intact", with practically no softening up
through bombardment and maintain an active front to the Northeast.  The\
Allies initial forecast on how much tonnage could be unloaded through
the captured ports was too optimistic and only when the Allies got into
logistical problems of transporting materiale from Normandy did they
make a concerted effort to do the job properly.  Some of the Canadian
problems lay with the CiC Crerar but a member of his staff Guy Simonds
managed to press this issue and actually was received well by Monty -
according to one of the books I am reading.

Shawn

--
"Life is full of surprises, but never when you need one."
                        [email-masked] St. John's, NF Canada

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 17:29:40 -0400
From:    Max Hare <[email-masked]>
Subject: NOST:First WWII book

Folks,

The books that really got me interested in WW2 were a series of books
about various fascets of the services called "He's in the .....Now"
(He's in the Tank Corps Now...He's in the Coast Guard Now...He's in the
Paratroops Now..etc.).  These books were geared to young readers and
were illustrated with current (WW2 era) photos.  They actually were
quite interesting and very accurate.

In the post war era a writer called COLBY (first name?) published a
whole series of photo books for children on the military and military
history.  He had a picture book of WW2 weapons as well as picture
histories on current and classic USAF aircraft, ships, armored vehicles,
FBI & police etc. These were tremendously exciting to us and we must
have poured over them for hours.  They were very educational and they
gave me a good picture about how the armed forces operated.  You will
almost never find these in libraries today because they are definately
not PC ("Books on WEAPONS!...for CHILDREN!!! AAAA!!!).  They showed us a
lot about the real world...but librarians today think that anything
other than "The Care Bears Take Ballet" as taboo for children.

Do any of you remember the U.S. Army sponsored newsreel program THE BIG
PICTURE on TV in the early 1950s?

Max C. Calderwood
University of Southern Maine
Gorham, ME
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 21:11:43 EST
From:    Crane Conrad LTC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Allied Air Campaign in Europe (fwd)

>Charles,
>
>To me the scary thing is, if Germany had started the war with its
>production capacity at the level of attainment in 1944, what the
>consequences would have been. We can be thankful that Albert Speer
>and his colleage Saur weren't managing the war economy in 1939 or
>even in 1940, but, then, the war" wasn't supposed to last 6 months."
>Ha!
>
>Terry
>
>Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
>P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
>fax 806-371-5370

Terry,
     An interesting point that Williamson Murray brings up is that part of the
reason for increased German production in 1944 involves risky production
shortcuts that often produced inferior goods.  ME 109s that were built early
lasted through the war and many are flying today.  Those built in 1944 usualy
fell apart after a year or two.  So the statistics reflect increased quantity
but considerably decreased quality.
                                             Con Crane

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 1993 20:25:52 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ARCH: New files at byrd.

We have received updates for Emmanuel Gustin's excellent series on military
aircraft and new additions to the U.S Army War College reference bibliography
collection (about 209k of new material.)

Byrd receives new files almost daily, so check in often to see what's new.

Byrd is now being echoed at sunsite.unc.edu which also have some interesting
files (full collection of White House press releases and informational files,
including the new Health Plan.)

Don't forget to send interesting files along to byrd and we'll make them
available to the planet.

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 28 Oct 1993 to 29 Oct 1993
*************************************************