Subject: WWII-L Digest - 20 Oct 1993 to 21 Oct 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1993 00:01:00 -0400

There are 24 messages totalling 758 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. A PhD in History (3)
  2. Al Stewart:  "Past, Present, Future" album (4)
  3. Alex Drabit
  4. Bataan Death March (4)
  5. GEN: Awardses (2)
  6. REF: Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII
  7. Al Stewart:  Past,
  8. Carpetbaggers (2)
  9. Al Stewart: "Past, Present, Future" album (2)
 10. WWII Kills
 11. Bataan Death March veterans
 12. "...shortened the war by six months" ??
 13. REF: comfort women

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 00:28:23 EST
From:    Denis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: A PhD in History

Strange how a question about the Batton Death March and getting a
Ph.D show up on the same list.
I'll be glad to tell you horror stories about what happens when the
Professor you thought you where going to work with takes that nice
job offer accross the country or in Europe.
Or your department suddenly decides to change its "focus" of research.
So your way ahead of the game by thinking about these things now.
Basically - be very skeptical about any they say in brochures,
anything an advisor tells you. Unlike a business you can't sue them
for breach of contract.  The best real source of info are the
doctoral students themselves - talk to a cross section -everyone from
the still optomistic first years who haven't started thinking about
qualifying exams yet to a few embiddered seventh year students.
Sorry this doesn't have much to do with WWII, except that getting a
Ph.D usually takes about the same number of years as the war lasted.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 00:35:17 EST
From:    Denis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Al Stewart:  "Past, Present, Future" album

Am I missing something obvious here.  Does Al Stewart do a few tracks
on the album about tanks?  Maybe it's heavy metal?

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 10:03:48 GMT
From:    Johannes van Vuren <[email-masked]>
Subject: Alex Drabit

In yesterday's Times of London, there was the following obituary:

        "Alex Drabit, who was credited with helping shorten the second
         world war in Europe by leading fellow American soldiers across
         a key German bridge under fire, died in a car accident en route
         to his Army unit reunion on September 28. he was 82.

         On March 7, 1945, Drabit, then a sergeant, led a dash across the
         Rhine River bridge at Ramagen. The capture of the bridge was an
         unexpected coup that allowed Allied forces to pierce Nazi Germany's
         defensive barrier. As Americam troups approached the Rhine after
         their victories in the Battle of the Bulge, the Germans began
         destroying bridges across the river to buy time.

         Brigadier General William Hoge had been ordered to turn south at
         Ramagen to link up with armoured troups. But Hoge decided instead
         to attack the bridge itself.

         Drabit, a squad leader, was the first to make it across under heavy
         machine gun fire. He was the third-oldest man in the company and he
         ran the entire length, about three football fields, being shot at all
         the time.

         Eisenhower said later that the capture of the bridge at Ramagen
         shortened the war in Europe by six months."

Johannes van Vuren,
Canterbury,
England.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 06:07:22 EDT
From:    Lowe Barrett MAJ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March

>I met a fellow -- a father of a friend -- up in Juneau, Alaska.  She knew
>  I was a WWII buff and cautioned me to say NOTHING to him about his
>  experience, since he wouldn't talk about it.
>
>They gave me a ride home after work, one evening, so we got started talking
>  about it (to my friend's horror).  He was willing to talk about it, quite
>  candidly.
>
>The next morning, with big circles under her eyes, she said he had continued
>  talking about it, with her and her mother, all through the night and into
>  the morning.  She was grateful I had been the catalyst to finally open up
>  her father.
>
>I was taking a big risk, though, and I knew it; but they were good people
>  and worth it.
>
>Lou Coatney, WIU
>

Lou:

Good for you!  I have had similar experiences with a couple for LRRP vets from
the 101st ABN DIV (RVN).

Barry

Barrett F. Lowe                    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
MAJ, IN
Dept of Physics, US Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 06:53:41 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March

Lou,

Well said! I have had the very same experience with a gentleman who
was serving at Nichols Field in the Philippines when he was captured
by the Japanese. Needless to say, he survived the BDM, and, I was
told to be very careful about bringing up this subject with him, as
he still has nightmares about that experience to this day. In fact,
his health has always been marginal ever since I have known the man.

Last year, I was told that he would be willing to discuss it with me,
and, when I had the chance to visit him, he told me some of the
experiences he had had to endure. He also loaned me two books about
it, one being an unpublished memoir of a Navy comrade who had
survived but had died in the '50's.

His wife told me afterward that her husband had never shown, much
less loaned out those books, to anyone at all, since he had come into
their possession.

But, yes, you are quite right. One must be very careful about
broaching sensitive topics like that, but, you know, if the situation
is handled properly, it has a positive effect on the veteran. I have
always felt that if they can talk about it, it is a way for them to
let go of those very bad times, and not carry around the baggage that
those negative experiences create.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 06:59:35 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: A PhD in History

Steve,

The University of Wisconsin would be a good start. Yale University and
Stanford strike me as the schools you might investigate. Bothe of
these schools have substantial collections relating to war and
politics.

These are only suggestions. No one single school comes to mind that
stands out particularly well, when it comes to dealing exclusively
with WWII. Have you thought about overseas? Oxford and Cambridge
would be excellent choices.

Terry Moore

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 07:59:54 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Awardses

> >      Tieffliegervernichtungsabzeichen!  Really?  That award was one of
> > the last awards established (ordered by Hitler on Jan 12th 1945, confirmed
>
> The story that came along with it was that an American or British
> plane was shot down by a tank commander using the hatch MG34 in the
> commander's cupola of a Panther.  Of course one never knows for sure
> as they are faking things so well these days.  This particular piece
> has been in my collection since 1983 and I was *very* fortunate to
> have found it.  It smells strongly of diesel fuel.  I have seen many
> fakes of this award and in comparison none are even close.  I am
> 99.99% confident that this is a good one but, again, I was not there
> so the possibility exists its not, however remote.  Its the risk all
> collectors take.  Remember the Hermann Goring Wedding Sword swindle?
> That item was quite convincingly documented including photographs of
> the veteran holding the sword.  You just never know. :-/

Yah.  Foo.

Even photographs today are no proof with the technology available in
affordable Macintoshes for the home.  An expert can identify fakes
rather quickly, but the average collector (the person who buys at
militaria shows, etc.) would never know.

Just as a simple example, I have a full color, high quality photograph
that _proves_ Miss Mitchell, complete with installed turrets, is
flying formation with itself.

I also have photographic proof that our Harvard Mk IV was flying (and
obviously landed safely) with no one on board.  :-)

Even with an eyeloupe, you can't tell they are doctorered photos.  An
expert will be able to tell you fairly quickly, however, that the photo
must be suspect because it clearly enlarges to a bit pattern within the
grain pattern -- highly unusual for an original photo.  :-)

It's fairly easy today to doctor a photo to most people's acceptance
that would be able to have you, personally, while wearing a Minnesota
Twins World Series Championship sweatshirt (now an obvious collectors
item itself :-) being awarded any medal you want from Adolf himself.
(He migh even be offering you a Pepsi, which would _prove_ it's a fake.
It's well know us computer hackers never touch that P stuff... :-)

Unfortunately, it makes the authentication of artifacts more difficult
for the average collector or preserver.  You might be able to determine
whether the item is or almost certainly is authentic by looking at it,
but you might never be able to fully determine its history without a
fair amount of paper evidence.

(This is where the "lower cost" items are still reasonably safe.  No sane
idiot is going to spend several hours a day for several weeks faking the
history of an item that will end up selling for $70...)

But that guy at a local militaria show showing off and wanting to sell
a complete German uniform worn by Himmler himself, should be considered
suspect from the beginning...  If he had such a thing, why go to a small
show to try and sell it?

At least we can document airplanes, still.  :-)

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 08:16:02 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March

> >I met a fellow -- a father of a friend -- up in Juneau, Alaska.  She knew
> >  I was a WWII buff and cautioned me to say NOTHING to him about his
> >  experience, since he wouldn't talk about it.
> >
> >They gave me a ride home after work, one evening, so we got started talking
> >  about it (to my friend's horror).  He was willing to talk about it, quite
> >  candidly.
> >
> >The next morning, with big circles under her eyes, she said he had continued
> >  talking about it, with her and her mother, all through the night and into
> >  the morning.  She was grateful I had been the catalyst to finally open up
> >  her father.
> >
> >I was taking a big risk, though, and I knew it; but they were good people
> >  and worth it.
>
> Lou:
>
> Good for you!  I have had similar experiences with a couple for LRRP vets from
> the 101st ABN DIV (RVN).

There is definitely a risk when doing something like this, but the payoffs
(for all!) can be extraordinary.

One of my favorite stories is the one I've repeated more than once about
the B-29 -- A crewman was heading to an aircraft for a flight demonstration
when he spotted someone in the crowd he thought looked familiar.  When he
spoke to him, he realized it was someone he flew B-29 missions with in WWII.
He got someone to replace him on the aircraft, grabbed the guy and hauled
him into the B-29 to "chat."  Hot day, making it much hotter inside, which
they didn't care about.

After several hours of reminiscing, catching up, etc., they exchanged
addresses and phone numbers and swore to keep in touch.

Shortly after, he received a call from the friends wife who introduced
herself and asked if he had noticed anything about him, to which he
basically said "no." (other than being older, etc.)  She informed him
that several years ago, he had suffered a major stroke and hadn't spoken
more than a half dozen words in all that time ... but when he got home
from the show, he was talking up a storm about WWII and for many hours,
she couldn't get a word in edgewise.  (She called to thank him, because
the B-29 and meeting an old crewmember had been some sort of catalyst
that was, in this case, physically therapeutic).

It's important to get people's stories now.  The ranks are dwindling
way too fast.  I attended more funerals than I want to count last
year (I could have attended more than a dozen).  Most of those people
had not been interviewed and they ALL had stories.  We're waiting right
now on word of when another funeral is going to be.

[BTW: I've now seen the USAF video of the Doolittle funeral -- that is
one impressive event ... All symbolism and ceremony.  Wow!]

The CAF has an active oral history program that needs help.  Obviously,
it is impossible to capture the personal history of every living WWII
veteran, but we should be able to record more than the 2,000 or so that
are currently on file!

Anyone wishing to become involved and start recording these stories for
all time should get in touch with the CAF Oral History Department by
calling 915/563-1000, tell them I sent you (from the Southern Minnesota
Wing) and alert them that you want to help doing interviews.

You'll receive nothing in return except admiration, thanks and the
satisfaction knowing you preserved another story for all time...
(and a copy of the tape... :-)

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 09:37:08 -0400
From:    "M. Joseph Barone" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Al Stewart:  "Past, Present, Future" album

From: Denis <[email-masked]>:
> Am I missing something obvious here.  Does Al Stewart do a few tracks
> on the album about tanks?  Maybe it's heavy metal?

        It's been a while since I've listened to it (my turntable has
been mothballed) but there is a track entitled, "Tigers are Burning".
The lyrics follow the invasion of Russia and the German retreat.  This
album turned me on to Al Stewart.  Has this been released as a CD?
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
When we go into battle, we like to play music.  Loud music.  We find
that it soothes us...

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 09:27:16 EST
From:    Mike Long <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII

On Wed, 20 Oct 1993 14:44:53 EDT William B. Thacker said:
>Last night there was a package waiting at my house from the Military Book
>Club.  It contained the two copies of the revised version of _The
>Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII_ by Chamberlain, Doyle, and Jentz.
>
>I was happy to see the revised edition offered; my original copy of the
>first edition, bought in '78, is a shambles from years of hard use.  (The
>second copy is an early deposit on my Christmas shopping!)

Hi,good ol buddy Bill, I'm still on your Christmas list, RIGHT ;)

Mike Long
196 AUDITORIUM ROAD, U-138    |   BITNET: [email-masked]
STORRS, CONNECTICUT, USA      | INTERNET: [email-masked]
                   06269-3138 |    PHONE: (203) 486-1352

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 12:57:38 EDT
From:    Charles Reace <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Al Stewart:  "Past, Present, Future" album

"'Forward," he cried from the rear, and the front ranks died.
The generals sat, and the lines on the map moved from side to side."

(Pink Floyd, "Us and Them", DARK SIDE OF THE MOON)

  __|  __|  __|  |  Charles Reace <[email-masked]>
_|   _|   _|     |
 |       | |     |  Computer Sciences Corp., Integrated Systems Div.
 ___|____/ ___|  |  304 W. Rte. 38, Moorestown, NJ 08057

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 13:32:57 EST
From:    Crane Conrad LTC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Al Stewart:  Past,

>From: Denis <[email-masked]>:
>> Am I missing something obvious here.  Does Al Stewart do a few tracks
>> on the album about tanks?  Maybe it's heavy metal?
>
>        It's been a while since I've listened to it (my turntable has
>been mothballed) but there is a track entitled, "Tigers are Burning".
>The lyrics follow the invasion of Russia and the German retreat.  This
>album turned me on to Al Stewart.  Has this been released as a CD?
>--
>Joe Barone
>[email-masked]
>When we go into battle, we like to play music.  Loud music.  We find
>that it soothes us...

The proper title of the song is "Roads to Moscow" and it is a terrific musical
intro to any class on the Eastern Front in WWII.  That album also includes a
song "Old Admirals" that covers British naval tradition and  "Post World War
II Blues" that provides interesting vignettes leading up to the present (I
always play it after my students have just completed their big test on WWII).
There is also a song about June 1944.
                                         LTC Con Crane
                                         USMA

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 13:55:13 -0500
From:    WILLIAM HUBER - SCDR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: Awardses

In Robert's message of 21 Oct 1993 at 1147 CDT, he sez:

> > collectors take.  Remember the Hermann Goring Wedding Sword swindle?
> > That item was quite convincingly documented including photographs of
> > the veteran holding the sword.  You just never know. :-/
>
> Yah.  Foo.
>
> Even photographs today are no proof with the technology available in
> affordable Macintoshes for the home.  An expert can identify fakes
> rather quickly, but the average collector (the person who buys at
> militaria shows, etc.) would never know.
>
> Just as a simple example, I have a full color, high quality photograph
> that _proves_ Miss Mitchell, complete with installed turrets, is
> flying formation with itself.

In the case of the Hermann Goring Wedding Sword the ruse was no less
elaborate but not nearly as reliant on technology.  In this case the
guy went to the factory that made the sword originally and had a copy
made.  They had all the design plans so it was no problem.  He then
located a veteran from the 101st who agreed to put on his uniform and
appear holding the sword while in uniform (plus sunglasses since it
hid his age better) in front of Aladdin's Cave in Bavaria.  The faker
then took a few shots of him with his handy-dandy brownie camera and
some black & white film.  Instant history.

So here's what you've got, a beautiful sword that has been lost since
1945, photos of the thing "in 1945" with the guy who brought it back
and when you check him out, sure enough he was in the 101st in
Bavaria in 1945.  Every thing checks out so you write your check for
60K and take your sword home and call your buddies to brag.  One of
them writes a book with a photo of your sword on the cover.
Everything is great until you get a letter from a collector in Germany
who says "hey I didn't give you permission to use a photo of my sword
on your book and how did you get it anyway?"  Ooops!

This is *supposed* to be a fun hobby..... then came free market
economy theory and now most collectors I know are buying one or two
items a year or getting new things by trade.  Having just come from
the Max show in Baltimore this weekend let me assure you that there
appears to be no end in sight to ever ascending militaria prices.  As
the prices go up it becomes more and more profitable to make
undetectable fakes.  What happens then they *do* become 100%
indistinguishable from originals?  Do we all start collecting
bubblegum cards???  That's why I am so heavily involved in research
these days.

Cheers, Bill Huber
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 14:09:30 -0400
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Carpetbaggers

Would the person who posted requesting information on the
801(P)/492nd BG, known as the Carpetbaggers, please reply
directly to me?  I have additional information and want to
make you an offer you can't refuse, but have lost/forgotten
your name and address.

Sorry for the inconvenience to the rest of the list.

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 15:45:30 -0400
From:    "Robert F. Kieran" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Al Stewart: "Past, Present, Future" album

        From: "M. Joseph Barone" <[email-masked]>
        Subject: Re: Al Stewart:  "Past, Present, Future" album
        Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 09:37:08 -0400

        From: Denis <[email-masked]>:
        > Am I missing something obvious here.  Does Al Stewart do a few tracks
        > on the album about tanks?  Maybe it's heavy metal?

                It's been a while since I've listened to it (my turntable has
        been mothballed) but there is a track entitled, "Tigers are Burning".
        The lyrics follow the invasion of Russia and the German retreat.  This
        album turned me on to Al Stewart.  Has this been released as a CD?
        --
        Joe Barone
        [email-masked]
        When we go into battle, we like to play music.  Loud music.  We find
        that it soothes us...

     Yes, this album came out on CD about a year ago. And the title of
this song is "Roads To Moscow".

     The verse someone excerpted in their .sig file goes:

        Two broken Tigers on fire in the night
        Flicker their souls to the wind
        We wait in the lines for the final assault to begin
        Its been almost four years that I've carried a gun
        At home, it'll almost be spring
        The flames of the Tigers are lighting the road to Berlin

     I have heard it said that Al Stewart's father was an RAF pilot who
was killed in the Battle Of Britian. This album, "Past, Present, Future",
is a chronicle of 20th Century history in general. "Roads To Moscow"
deals with the Eastern Front. This is the only WWII related song on the
album, though. Pity.

                                                Cheers
                                                Bob Kieran
                                                [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 16:21:58 -0500
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Kills

Repost from rec.aviaton.military:

>I think we should take it as a given that ALL victory claims are inflated,
>whatever the air force. When I compared Flying Tiger (AVG) combat reports
>with Japanese accounts of the same combats, I concluded that the Tigers
>shot down about 115 planes (or destroyed them on the ground) rather than
>the roughly 300 for which they were paid combat bonuses or the 600 (or
>1000!) attributed in popular romances. Similarly, John Lundstrom has
>whittled away at both US Navy and JNAF fighter claims in his books, THE
>FIRST TEAM and (due from Naval Institute Press in December) THE FIRST TEAM
>AT GAUDALCANAL.

John? Can we take it as a "given"? Proganda would seem to make it necessary
but are the post-war totals very accurate at all?

Larry J

--
[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 20 Oct 1993 19:27:14 -0500
From:    Jim Brady <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March

>Somebody wrote yesterday about the last surviving Bataan Death March
>survivor.  I know of at least one more here in San Antonio, Texas.
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>He had been a Coastal Artillery officer on one of the islands.  I
>have his autobiography (unpublished) in my library.  If anyone is
>interested I will see if he will allow me to put excerpts on the list.
>
>Cheers, Bill Huber
>[email-masked]
>
Bill, if he does agree, we might be interested in doing a feature
story. We are a few hundred miles away, but as pointed out, there
aren't many survivors of Bataan left. Could make for some good reading.
Would you mind emailing me as situation develops?
Much obliged...
                                     Jim Brady
                                 [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 14:41:15 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bataan Death March veterans

Thanks, Bear.  Has the little cub arrived yet?  (I trust he(?) landed on
  the delivery room floor with a Ranger Roll, yelling "Rangers Lead the
  Way!" and then chased the nearest/prettiest nurse around the table a
  half-dozen times before you could grab him.

(If she was a girl, I trust she is as pretty as her mother.)

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 14:37:13 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: "...shortened the war by six months" ??

Nah.  One month -- maybe.

The British had little trouble bridging the lower Rhine, although Monte
  apparently expected some, judging from his spectacular production --
  paras, etc.

On the other hand, that was a looooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg dash!

Lou Coatney, WIU

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 14:31:13 CDT
From:    Lou Coatney <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Al Stewart:  "Past, Present, Future" album

"Road to Moscow" is incredible, Denis.

Lou

Stewart must be a WWII buff.  I haven't heard anything (let alone ...
  equal) from in a decade.  I hope he isn't a (drug) casualty.

He is Scotch, I believe.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 17:30:31 -0500
From:    Valerie Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: comfort women

One thousand "thank yous" to Kevin for his help.  I checked with NBC in New
York, and Dateline  NBC ran a segment on Comfort Women on August 10, 1993.

Thanks to everyone who provided me with leads on the show and on other
possible sources for the info.  Now all I have to do is get a copy of the
tape.  The recording at NBC's News Archives department said a VHS tape was
$150 for the first 5 minutes, additional for longer periods of time.  I
thought you could get these tapes for about $20-$30??

Oh well, where there's a will, I'll get my project done.

Thanks again, everyone!!

On Tue, 19 Oct 1993, Kevin Kamphaus wrote:

> I believe the show on confort women may have been on "Dateline NBC" which runs
> Tuesdays at 10pm. I also saw this show and I don't think it was on Prime Time
> or 20/20.
>
> Kevin Kamphaus
> [email-masked]
>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 18:36:32 -0400
From:    Bob Smart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: A PhD in History

> Folks:
>
>      I've been lurking about for a long while and I wanted to call upon
> the knowledge of this group for guidance.  After years of agonizing I've
> nearly decide to enter a PhD program in History.  Of course, what I
> really want to do is study somewhere that would allow me to write my
> dissertation on WWII.  Do any of you know any programs that are
> particularly well known for professors or collections involving WWII?
>

You might also look at what is available in the area but not actually part of
the school. For example Here in the DC area you have lots of government
archives. a few hours away in Lexington is the George C. Marshall Library at
VMI ( I don't think they have a graduate program).  A couple hours north is
Carlisle.  Just a thought about factors that may or may not show up when you
look at a school.

Bob Smart ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Oct 1993 11:32:09 +1000
From:    Derek Monz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Carpetbaggers

On Thu, 21 Oct 1993, Dennis E. Sparks wrote:

> Would the person who posted requesting information on the
> 801(P)/492nd BG, known as the Carpetbaggers, please reply
> directly to me?  I have additional information and want to
> make you an offer you can't refuse, but have lost/forgotten
> your name and address.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience to the rest of the list.
>
> Dennis E. Sparks
> [email-masked]
> Lexington, Kentucky

     Dennis, make me an offer too?, i wouldn't mind that stuff on the
carpetbaggers as well 8-). <pl....ease ?>.
cheers derek.

EMail: [email-masked]           Derek Monz @ JCU 1993
       [email-masked]          Disclamer: - I didn't do it!
" If there is anything more important than my Ego.....
                 I want taken out and shot!"  (Zaphod Beablbrox (HHGTTG)).

                            ((-------))
                                \o/
                                 |
                               _/ \_

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Oct 1993 23:48:40 -0400
From:    Steven VEST <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Al Stewart: "Past, Present, Future" album

Folks:
     Oh what a lot of interest can be stirred up by a simple sig.!  Al
Stewart is alive and well and just released a new album two weeks ago.
He Scots by birth but lives in L.A. now.  Many of his songs are on
various and sundry historic themes.  He's a bit of a buff but not exactly
a grognard, so he makes the occasional glaring mistake.   He's written
four or five very good songs about the war years including  "The last day
of June 1934" about  Hitler eliminating the last of his rivals.  If
you've never listened to his stuff beyond his one real hit "Year of the
Cat"  I heartily recommend him.  Most of his fans consider him a
"thinking persons" pop/folk singer.

      He has a definite cadre of hard core fans and even has his own
Listserv. So if you're interested take a look at
[email-masked]

      Oh yes.  And thanks to all of you who responded to my question
about graduate programs.  I'm already sending off for catalogs and
resigning myself to having no life or money for a few years!

Thanks Again
        Steven
========================== [email-masked]=========================
= Steven Vest: Head, Off Campus Lib. Services: Nova University, Ft. Ldl, FL  =
Closer and closer to Moscow they come. Riding the wind like a bell. General
Guderian stands at the crest of the hill.  Al Stewart.  Past Present & Future
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 21 Oct 1993, Lou Coatney wrote:

> "Road to Moscow" is incredible, Denis.
>
> Lou
>
> Stewart must be a WWII buff.  I haven't heard anything (let alone ...
>   equal) from in a decade.  I hope he isn't a (drug) casualty.
>
> He is Scotch, I believe.
>

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 20 Oct 1993 to 21 Oct 1993
*************************************************