Subject: WWII-L Digest - 24 Nov 1993 to 25 Nov 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1993 00:00:16 -0500

There are 3 messages totalling 119 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Hitler & the Draft
  2. Wargames
  3. REFs

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 24 Nov 1993 23:28:09 CST
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Hitler & the Draft

Mick,

In a way we both seem to be right about Hitler's military "career"
in Austria.  I quote from Joachim Fest's bio *Hitler* (which I
consider to still be the best bio of Hitler):
"What actuated him was once again his repugnance towards normality,
his horror of the rules and obligations to which everyone else was
subject.  In the 1950's the military records pertaining to Adolph
Hitler came to light again; in March, 1938, immediately after his
the invasion of Austria, he had ordered a feverish search for these
papers.  the documents make it plain beyond a doubt that in moving
to Munich he was determined to escape his military obligations.  In
order to concel these facts, he registered with the police in
Munich as stateless.  In *Mein Kampf* he also falisified the date
of his departure from Vienna.  Actually he left the city not in the
spring of 1912, as he maintained, but in May of the following year."

"For a time the Austrian authorities searched for him fruitlessly.
On August 22, 1913, a constable Zauner of Linz, who was conducting
the investigation noted: `Adolph Hietler (sic) appears to be
registered with the police neither in this city nor in Urfahr, nor
can he be located in other places.'  Hitler's former guardian,
Joesf Mayrhofer, could provide no information about his wereabouts;
and the two sisters, Angela and Paula, when queried about their
brother, declared that they had "known nothing about him since 1908."

Josef Greiner, who claimed to be a companion of Hitler in Munich,
although he had no proof of the clos acquaintanceship, said that
Hitler "had no intention of joining the the Austrian army which
was composed of Czechs, slovaks, and Croats, and that he had come
to Munich to avoid military service."

However, on January 18th, 1914 Hitler was arrested in Munich and
served with a document from Austria ordering him to "present
himself for military service in Linz at Kaiserin Elisabeth Quay
on Jan. 20th, 1914."  Failure to comply would result in a fine--
if it was proved that he fled Austria to avoid the draft he was
facing a larger fine and up to 1 year in jail.  He claimed he
applied for service in Vienna in 1910 but never received an answer.
He worked out a deal at the Austrian Consulate to postpone his
reporting date to February and to change the point of induction
to Salzburg.  He reported on February 5th and was found "unfit
for combatant and auxiliary duties, too weak  unable to bear arms."

The above paragraph is from Toland, *Adolph Hitler*

--
Steve Alvin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Nov 1993 10:43:51 -0500
From:    "Sidney W. Kitchel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Wargames

Joe Pohlmann writes:
|->
|->         I didn't know if anyone was interested, but since I am a relatively
|-> new subscriber to this BB, I thought I'd mention a wargame I've been interested
|->  in.  It's called 'Victory' and it is a play-by-mail adaption of the European
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
        This is a GOOD idea. I used to play the board game "Global
War". It was a great but complicated game that often took around 12
hours of concerted work to finish. When I was younger, I played it 2
or 3 times through the night. "Play-by-mail" would be a lot less
strenuous!

|-> World War II conflict.

                                                        --Sid
--
Sidney W. Kitchel           [email-masked], [email-masked]
Data Parallel Systems, Inc.  ============||  DPSI  ||===============
4617 E. Morningside Drive                             (812) 334-8100
Bloomington, Indiana,  47408  USA               FAX:  (812) 334-8121

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 26 Nov 1993 08:26:17 +1000
From:    Derek Monz <[email-masked]>
Subject: REFs

 Hello all, I have two queries for the list.  ( bear with me)

     I am after the ISBN numbers for a couple of books that i saw in a
publishing magazine and would like to order.

1. Big Week: Story of the crucial air battle of WWII. published by Brasseys.

2. The soldier: Consolidated B-24 Liberator. Published by Howell press
and is written by Paul Perkins.

3. War Heroes:  The true stories of Congressional Medal of Honour
Recipients. Published by Praeger and written by Kent De Long.

Secondly,
 To all those luftwaffe fans out there I am interested in obtaining some
information on the use of pathfinder planes by the German Air Force
during WWII.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance Derek monz.

EMail: [email-masked]           Derek Monz @ JCU 1993
       Disclamer: - I didn't do it!
" If there is anything more important than my Ego.....
                 I want taken out and shot!"  (Zaphod Beablbrox (HHGTTG)).

                            ((-------))
                                \o/
                                 |
                               _/ \_

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 24 Nov 1993 to 25 Nov 1993
*************************************************