Subject: WWII-L Digest - 12 Nov 1993 to 13 Nov 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1993 00:00:30 -0500

There are 4 messages totalling 112 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. West Point Library On-Line (repeat)
  2. Guy Sajer
  3. WANT: Proof-readers for D-Day book.
  4. GI POWs

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Nov 1993 05:47:07 EST
From:    Lowe Barrett MAJ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: West Point Library On-Line (repeat)

Terry,

I hope it works.  A few folks were having some problems accessing the card
catalog the past few days.  We were having some trouble with our server here
and that may have been the cause.  I think it's back on line now.

I got your letter.  Thanks a bunch!  That was an interesting story.

Have a good weekend.  We're giving a test this morning (a mid-term, but
we call them written partial reviews), so I'll be busy grading.

See ya,

Barry

Barrett F. Lowe                    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
MAJ, IN
Dept of Physics, US Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Nov 1993 05:48:48 EST
From:    Lowe Barrett MAJ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Guy Sajer

>Many thanks to Bill Huber, Barrett Lowe, and Terry Moore for their
>help on my questions about Guy Sajer. The Patron went away happy.
>Thanks again!
>

Walter,

No problem.  Glad to be of help.  I think for questions like yours,
and many other that have popped up, this list is a great source of
information,

Have a good weekend,

Barry

Barrett F. Lowe                    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
MAJ, IN
Dept of Physics, US Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Nov 1993 15:24:59 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: WANT: Proof-readers for D-Day book.

Hi, I'm digitizing "Cross Channel Attack" from the Army Green book series.
Since I'm only human I expect errors. What I would like to do is send the
chapters as they are finished to volunteers would have access to the original
for proof-reading. I have the first chapter done (digitized and first proof.)
Three more chapters are "on disk" and will be ready soon. I want to have the
whole book done by 1 April, '94 so it can be distrubed by Project Gutenberg
in time for the 50th Anniversary.

If you have time to do a chapter or two, drop me a note with your preferences
in format and I'll send you a file. I want to have each chapter checked
twice after I've gone over it, and I'll take all the help I can get. All
volunteers will get the complete book before it's released anywhere else.
I'm also planning on including all the pictures and maps from the book in
the final "package." (Did I mention I now have access to a really nice
flatbed scanner? :-).

Once the book is done it will be uploaded to byrd, and will be available from
all Project Gutenberg sites when it goes through their system.

On a side bar, those of you who recall our discussion of a few months back
about the need to have e-text versions of the Green Books will be interested
to note that I can digitize an entire chapter (35-45 pages) in 90 minutes
(which is full speed for an old crip :-) and 3-4 hours of editing to correct
the first draft. If I had nothing else to do I could do a whole book in one
week to ten days. Point of this is that the technology has been much improved
since my first attempts at scanning. (I use an Apple Scanner and OMNI-Page
software to do the conversion.)

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Nov 1993 19:12:48 CST
From:    Mary Todd <[email-masked]>
Subject: GI POWs

May I post a request on your list?

I have a friend whose older brother was a GI taken prisoner by the
Nazis probably in 1943 and held as a POW for nearly 3 years. (The
family was originally told he had been killed.)  He has never spoken
about his experience.  She, after studying the Holocaust in my class,
would like to know where to go for information about camp names,
locations, and treatment of POWs, in order to know more about their
experience.  Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.  Is there
a "best book" on the subject?  Thanks in advance for your help.
                   [Please reply privately as I'm not on your list.]
Mary Todd
The University of Illinois at Chicago
u24930@uicvm Bitnet - [email-masked] Internet

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 12 Nov 1993 to 13 Nov 1993
*************************************************