Subject: WWII-L Digest - 25 Nov 1993 to 26 Nov 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1993 00:00:53 -0500

There are 6 messages totalling 157 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. British Release Secret FIles (3)
  2. PERSONALITY: Leon Degrell [Re: Vichy France]
  3. Full Circle
  4. Media:Eisenhower Symposium

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 26 Nov 1993 18:12:55 +0100
From:    Richard Cummings <[email-masked]>
Subject: British Release Secret FIles

For those historians on the list, this is very interesting:

    By Paul Majendie

LONDON, Nov 25 (Reuter) - Adolf Hitler thought Britain was so
divided at the end of 1941 that it could be defeated without an
invasion, World War Two intelligence files released today showed.

Opening previously secret files given to British wartime leader
Winston Churchill, officials called them a "treasure trove for
historians" and said they disproved theories that he knew in
advance about the 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour.

A spokesman for the Public Records Office that is releasing
almost 1,300 documents said they did not support the "conspiracy
theory" that Churchill knew in advance about the attack on Pearl
Harbour. The attack killed 2,400 people and resulted in the loss
of 19 ships and 120 aircraft.

Hitler's ambitious plans for world domination in 1941 were
spelled out along with details of an intended German attack on
Crete in March 1941 and German police reports on camp deaths.

The German police reports showed that in August 1942, 6,829 men
and 1,525 women died in Auschwitz, saying chillingly: "It appears
that although typhus is still rife at Auschwitz, new arrivals
continue to come in." It adds: "As from 1/9/42 `natural deaths'
among prisoners in concentration camps are to be reported
apparently only in writing."

Regards from Munich.  Richard.

--==oo00oo==--
[email-masked]
RFE/RL Inc
Munich,Germany

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 26 Nov 1993 16:07:26 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: British Release Secret FIles

>
> A spokesman for the Public Records Office that is releasing
> almost 1,300 documents said they did not support the "conspiracy
> theory" that Churchill knew in advance about the attack on Pearl
> Harbour. The attack killed 2,400 people and resulted in the loss
> of 19 ships and 120 aircraft.

Anyone know when the rest of the records from the war will be released by
P.R.O.? I'm interested in the 1944 records mostly. Can the members in the
U.K. find out or give me a contact point (preferably e-mail) so I can ask
them directly?

TIA,
Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 26 Nov 1993 18:09:01 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PERSONALITY: Leon Degrell [Re: Vichy France]

Akira,

To my knowledge, and I have come across nothing to change what I am
about to tell you, the Belgians still have a warrant out for his
arrest, should he ever leave Spain. I know for a fact that he lives
under an assumed name, because I have seen his address, and the way
he could be reached, if you could write him directly, was in care of
someone else. I have had personal correspondence with Mr. DeGrelle,
but this was effected ONLY through his French-speaking adjutant.

As you know, the Belgians condemned him to death in absentia at the
end of the war.

Thanks for the input.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 26 Nov 1993 18:14:23 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: British Release Secret FIles

Richard,

Please keep me informed of ANY news concerning release of those
British documents, especially ANY dealing with Rudolf Hess. Thanks a
million for my part.

Greetings to you on this Thanksgiving.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 26 Nov 1993 18:19:31 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Full Circle

Wilber,

Here is the information, I have found on one other book that deals
with night fighting from the Brit side. It is called "Night Fighter"
by C.F. Rawnsley and Robert Wright. It came out in March 1968 and is
a Ballantine Book. The other book by J.R.D. Braham is also excellent,
as you know.

This is my contribution to this subject.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 26 Nov 1993 18:29:21 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Media:Eisenhower Symposium

Jim,

You can count me in on sending a brochure. My fax number should be
included as part of my signature. I would appreciate it very much.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 25 Nov 1993 to 26 Nov 1993
*************************************************