Subject: WWII-L Digest - 5 Nov 1993 to 6 Nov 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1993 00:00:09 -0500

There are 5 messages totalling 241 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. USAAF 5 NOV 43
  2. GEN/EDU: WWII and Japanese/Japanese Americans
  3. ADMIN: Cross-posting to soc.veterans (2)
  4. INF: U.S. POW's in Russia.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 5 Nov 1993 23:01:08 CST
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF 5 NOV 43

> From: [email-masked]:
> >   The 356th Fighter Squadron, 354th Fighter Group, arrives at Greenham Common,
> > England from the U.S. with P-51's. The squadron will fly it's first mission on
> > 1 Dec.
>
> In the movie, "Memphis Belle", P-51s escort the B-17s in July, 1943.
> Is this artistic license or were P-51s available by then?  I don't
> recall P-51s being mentioned in Jack's "50 YA" messages in July.

P-51s were "around" but not very much in service.  P-51s did not
provide escort at that time.  Escort would have been Spitfires or
Hurricanes most of the time.  D model Mustangs also didn't appear
until 1944.

Artistic license.  In fact, the entire movie was artistic license.
It was the pilot, I believe, of the Memphis Belle who made the
comment (paraphrased) "All that stuff happened to us... In 25
missions, that is..."

The last mission was, in fact, a milk-run and as far as the big-screen
is concerned today, horrendously dull and boring.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 6 Nov 1993 10:20:07 -0600
From:    Valerie Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN/EDU: WWII and Japanese/Japanese Americans

If this letter doesn't apply directly to you, does it apply to someone you
know?  If so, pass it on please!

Are you a 442nd Regimental vet, or do you know someone who is?  If so, I'm
looking for you or them!

WWII Listmembers:

My name is Valerie Smith and I am working toward my teacher's
certification in elementary education at the University of
Wisconsin-Parkside.  The focus of the program is mulitcultural education:
the inclusion of ethnic groups' perspectives and cultures throughout the
curriculum.

I am interested in interviewing or speaking with Japanese citizens or
Japanese-Americans, both armed forces veterans and civilians who lived
during 1900-1950.  Our current assignmnet is to develop a unit of study on
WWII from the Japanese-American perspective.  Our unit must include a
variety of activities in music, art, mathematics, social studies, English,
science, etc.  My project IS NOT designed to be a political statement or
to provide the technical details of the war (which side was "right, how
many died in each battle, etc.).  Rather, it is to provide students in
grades 5-9 with a general overview of the war from the Japanese and
Japanese-American perspectives.  I AM NOT A WWII EXPERT, NOR AM I TRYING
TO BE ONE, rather I am a teacher trying to bring another perspective of
the War to students in an interactive and interesting manner.

I would like to video and/or audie tape an interview and use it as one of
the activities for the students.  If this in not possible, I would at
least like to include your thoughts and feelings in other activites for
the students (narrative for a slide presentation, pictures of artwork or
clothing from that period, copies of music or recipes, etc.).

In prepartation for the interview, I've included two questionnaires:  one
for Japanese citizens, one for Japanese-Americans.  Please feel free to
add or delete questions as you deem necessary.   YOU are the expert.

I would like to conduct the interviews by Thanksgiving weekend.  This will
allow me time to edit and to develop the lesson plans around the
interview.  My final project is due December 1.  Dr. Barbara J. Shade,
Dean of the School of Education is my advisor.  If needed, you can contact
her or her assistant Darlene Safransky to verify the validity of this
project at 414-595-2569.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this project.

Valerie Smith
internet:  smithv.cs.uwp.edu
----
QUESTIONNAIRE FOR JAPANESE-AMERICANS (questions for Japanese citizens are
starred *)

*1.     Please introduct yourself and give us some background information
about yourself during WWII.  Elaborate on some of your experiences at the
time.  For instance, can you recall things you ate, bought, wore, or can
you remember radio broadcasts you heard or movies and parties you
attended?  Were there any folk tales, songs, stories about the War that
you particularly remember?

2.      Please describe your Japanese American background.  What generation
Japanese American are you?  Include some of your family's immigration
history and feelings toward the US.

3.      How were Japanese Americans treated in your geographical area during
the War?  Can you remember things people may have said or done to you or your
family?

4.      Did you know anyone who was relocated to an internment camp?  If
it is not too difficult, please explain to the students any experiences
you had or heard of concerning the internment camps.

5.      Did you have any experiences with other Asian Americans, Italian
Americans, Hispanics, African Americans or Native American military or
civilian people during the War?  Can you describe the experiences?

*6.     What were some of your family's feelings toward the War and
fighting in the War?

*7.     Did you or anyone in your family fight in the War?  What was
your/their involvement in the War?  What were your/their family's
reactions to your/their participation in the War?

*8.     Can you describe some of your family's values toward the War?
What part, if any, did religion play in these values?  Can you remember
any sermons or church services or prayers that were said?

*9.     What influences did WWII have on your life today?  What
experiences still remain vivid?  What are some of the differences you see
in succeeding post WWII generations?

10.     How were military veterans treated in the US after WWII?  What
were the reactions of your family an people you met?

11.     How did the treatment of WWII veterans compare with Korean,
Vietnam and/or Persian Gulf War veterans?

12.     Describe the post-internment camp experiences of
Japanese-Americans you knew.  How did they resume their lives, i.e. work,
school, social interactions, etc. with other Japanese Americans and
Americans in general?

*13.    If you could leave one peice of information about WWII with
today's youth, what would it be?

--------

Thank you in advance for your help with this.  I know the letter and
questionnaire were long.

Valerie Smith
smithv.cs.uwp.edu

a teacher:  someone who is trying to make a positive impact on all of our
future by reaching a child today!

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 6 Nov 1993 12:46:34 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: Cross-posting to soc.veterans

>
> If this letter doesn't apply directly to you, does it apply to someone you
> know?  If so, pass it on please!
>
This prodded my memory on a subject I occasionally address. Requests like
this are also appropriate to the Usenet soc.veterans. If you have acces to
the newsgroups, be sure to post your note there as well. If you don't have
access you can still post by sending your item to:

[email-masked]

which will forward it for you. Be sure to mention that you can't read the
group and replies should be sent to your e-mail address.

servabo fidem,
Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 6 Nov 1993 12:50:54 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: U.S. POW's in Russia.

My mailbox melted again, by I remember seeing a request for information about
Western POWs in Russia. There is a large amount of information on U.S. POWs
in all wars of this century to be found in:

Y4.P 93/8:S.hrg.102-351 pts. 1 &2
POW/MIA policy and process :hearings before the Senate, 1992.

There's a lot of disturbing material there. Seems all the Western Allies and
conquerored countries had trouble reconciling the numbers of people the had
reason to believe were in territory controled by the Soviets with the numbers
the Sov. Army was reporting as be under their control.

Larry J

[email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 6 Nov 1993 11:52:01 -0600
From:    Valerie Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Cross-posting to soc.veterans

Thank you very much.  I believe I have access to Soc.veterans.  I will
check or use your suggestion.

On Sat, 6 Nov 1993, Larry & Kim Jewell wrote:

> >
> > If this letter doesn't apply directly to you, does it apply to someone you
> > know?  If so, pass it on please!
> >
> This prodded my memory on a subject I occasionally address. Requests like
> this are also appropriate to the Usenet soc.veterans. If you have acces to
> the newsgroups, be sure to post your note there as well. If you don't have
> access you can still post by sending your item to:
>
> [email-masked]
>
> which will forward it for you. Be sure to mention that you can't read the
> group and replies should be sent to your e-mail address.
>
> servabo fidem,
> Larry J
>
> [email-masked]; Listowner: WWII-L; Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU
> "Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
> unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
> Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 5 Nov 1993 to 6 Nov 1993
***********************************************