Subject: WWII-L Digest - 17 Nov 1993 to 18 Nov 1993

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 00:00:50 -0500

There are 15 messages totalling 780 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Nazi program (2)
  2. USAAF 18 NOV 43
  3. Kristallnacht (2)
  4. Addr: David Irving
  5. RAF/USAAF statistics (2)
  6. Full Circle (3)
  7. the best German night fighter pilot
  8. Humor: A study guide to History
  9. Reply to James Irwin
 10. Hitler Stationary

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 00:21:56 -0400
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Nazi program

Quoted from the book "World War II Through German Eyes".  Any
typos are mine.  Read on, there's something in it for everyone :-)

Basic Programme of the National Socialist Workers' Party
Munich, 24 February 1920

The programme of the German Workers' Party is a fixed one.  The
leaders reject the idea of setting new goals once the initial aims
laid down in this programme have been acheived, simply in order to
prolong the life of the Party by artificially creating unrest among
the masses.

1.  On the basis of a people's right to self-determination, we demand
the uniting of the Germans within a Greater Germany.

2.  We demand equal status for Germany, vis-a-vis other nations, and
the annulling of the Peace Treaties drawn up in Versailles and
St. Germain.

3.  We demand land and properties (colonies) to provide food for our
nation and settlement areas for our surplus population.

4.  Only a German can have the right of citizenship.  A Volksgenosse
can only be a person who has German parents, irrespective of religion.
THEREFORE NO JEW CAN BE CONSIDERED TO BE A VOLKSGENOSSE.

5.  Those people who have no citizenship rights can only be considered
as guests in Germany and must be subject to laws concerning foreigners.

6.  Only citizens should have the right to decide leadership and the
laws of state.  Therefore, we demand that only those with citizenship
rights should be eligible to serve in a public office, whether this be
at national, Lander or local level.  We oppose the corrupt parliamentary
in which people are employed only on the basis of the political party
to which they belong and not according to their character or ability.

7.  We demand that the first priority of the state should be to ensure
that its citizens have work and decent living conditions.  Where it is
not possibel to feed all of the citizens of the state, foreign nationals
(who have no citizenship rights) should be repatriated.

8.  Further immigration of non-Germans must be halted.  We demand that
all Germans who have entered the Reich since 2 August 1914, be forced
to leave the country immediately.

9.  All citizens must have the same rights and obligations.

10.  The first duty of all Volksgenossen must be to work, either
manually or with the mind.  The actions of an individual must not be
against the general good but must be in accord with it.

THEREFORE WE DEMAND

11.  The abolition of unearned income.

THE DESTRUCTION OF THE DOMINANCE OF INVESTED CAPITAL

12.  because wars demand of the people great physical and personal
sacrifice, any personal gain through war must be considered as a
crime against the nation.  WE DEMAND, THEREFORE, THE CONFISCATION OF
ALL WAR PROFITS.

13.  We demand the nationalization of all publicly owned companies
(Trusts).

14.  We demand profit sharing by all large companies.

15.  We demand that generous improvements be made in old-age pensions.

16.  We demand the setting up and maintenance of a healthy middle class.
The large department stores should be placed immediately under the
control of local authorities and should be leased out to small businesses
at low rents.  Small businesses must have the keenest regard in the
matter of deliveries to the state, the Lander, or the local authorities.

17.  We demand property reform in line with our national requirements
and legislation permitting compulsory purchase of property if this is
in the national interest.  We demand the abolition of ground rents and
the banning of property speculation.

18.  We demand a ruthless battle against those whose actions damage the
national interest.  Common criminals, profiteers, racketeers, etc.,
should suffer capital punishment without distinction of race or religion.

19.  We demand the replacement of Roman law, which serves the interests
of a material world order, by German Common law.

20.  There must be a thorough overhaul of the state education system
in order that every capable and diligent German receives a good
education, enabling them to obtain leading postions of employment.  The
curricula of all educational establishments must adapt to practical
requirements.  We must seek to instill national ideas from the earliest
school age (lessons in citizenship).  We demand that talented children
of poor parents should receive state support irreespective of class
or employment.

21.  The state must ensure the general good health of its citizens by
providing for mothers and children, by banning child labour, by
ensuring physical fitness through legal ogligation to participate in
sport or gymnastics and by giving support to associations involved
in those fields.

22.  We demand the abolition of the mercenary army and its replacement
by a national army of the people.

23.  We demand legal action against public political slander or libel
in the Press.  In order to establish a German Press we demand that

(a)  Newspaper editors and employees whose work appears in German
must be Volsgenossen.

(b)  Non-German newpapers must be authorized by the state before they
can appear in Germany.  They must not be in the German language.

(c)  Foreign finance to subsidize German newspapers and foreign influence
must be forbidden by law.  Contravention of the above should lead to
the closing of the newspaper in question and together with the
immediate expulsion from the Reich of those non-Germans involved.

(d)  Newspapers which are deemed to be against the common good should
be banned.  We demand legal action against any art or literature which
exerts a harmful influence on public life and demand the closing of
all institutions which contravene the above named standards.

24.  We demand religious freedom throughout the Reich so long as it
does not endanger the position of the state or adversely affect the
moral standards of the German race.  As such the Party represents a
positively Christian postion without binding itself to one
particular faith.  The Party opposes the materialistic, Jewish spirit
within and beyond us and is convinced that a lasting recovery of our
people can only be achieved on the basis of:

COMMON GOOD BEFORE PERSONAL GAIN

25.  In order to achieve this we demand the setting up of a strong,
central adminisration for the Reich.

We demand unlimited authority for a central, national parliament and
its organizations.  We demand the establishment of professional and
industrial bodies to assist in implementing national laws throughout
the Lander.

The Party leaders commit themselves fully to acheiving the aims set
out above, even at the cost of their own lives, if need be.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 07:07:55 -0500
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: USAAF 18 NOV 43

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 18 NOVEMBER 1943
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Seventh Air Force): 19 B-24's from
Nanumea Island in the Ellice Islands bomb Mille Atoll in the Caroline Islands;
2 others hit Tarawa Atoll in the Gilbert Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 12 P-40's strafe troops and horses
and sink a troop barge at Shihmen; 4 others, in support of Chinese forces,
strafe the Tahsai ferry.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): VIII Bomber Command Mission 132.
82 of 102 B-24's hit the Oslo/Kjeller Airfield in Norway; they claim 10-7-5
Luftwaffe aircraft; 9 B-24's are lost, 3 are damaged beyond repair and 10
damaged; casualties are 2 KIA, 9 WIA and 91 MIA.
  VIII Bomber Command Mission 133: 5 B-17's drop 980,000 leaflets over
Paris, Orleans, Chartres, Rennes and Le Mans, France between 2015 and 2041
hours; no losses or casualties.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): Aircraft of the IX Troop Carrier
Command carry paratroops of the US 1O1st Airborne Division in a rehearsal of
cross-channel operations.  This is the first of an extended series of training
exercises to be conducted prior to the Normandy invasion.
  HQ 50th Troop Carrier Wing transfers from Cottesmore to Bottesford, England.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): B-17's, with P-38 escort, pound
the airfield at Eleusis, Greece. P-38's also escort a Northwest African
Tactical Air Force (NATAF) attack on the same target and escort a supply
dropping mission to Yugoslavia.
  HQ 98th Bombardment Group (Heavy) and it's 343d, 344th, 345th and 415th
Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy) transfer from Hergla, Tunisia to Brindisi,
Italy with B-24's.
  The 514th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 376th Bombardment Group (Heavy),
transfers from Enfidaville, Tunisia to San Pancrazio, Italy with B-24's.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): Medium and light bombers of the XII
Air Support Command and Royal Air Force (RAF) attack the airfield at Larissa,
Greece, a billeting area at Rivisondoli, Italy and road, railway and town
area W of San Vito Chietino and at Lanciano, Italy. In Yugoslavia, fighter-
bombers hit a ship in the Krka River, trains at Knin marshalling yard and
between Knin and Kosovo, the landing ground at Sinj, harbor and vessels at
Sibenik, and defended points and gun positions along the battleline in Italy.
  HQ 33d Fighter Group transfers from Paestum to Santa Maria, Italy.
  The 23d Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 5th Photographic
Reconnaissance Group, based at La Marsa, Tunisia with F-5's, begins operating
from Foggia, Italy.
  The 345th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group, transfers from Rerhaia,
Algeria to Sardinia with P-39's.
  The 347th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group, transfers from Djidjelli
to Rerhaia, Algeria with P-39's.
  The 381st Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 310th Bombardment Group (Medium),
transfers from Menzel Temime, Tunisia to Philippeville, Algeria with B-25's.

SOUTH PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Thirteenth Air Force): In the Solomon
Islands, 4 squadrons of B-24's pound the airfields on Buka Island and at
Kara, Bougainville Island; 3 B-25's strafe Greenwich Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea,
30+ B-25's and B-26's hit enemy positions in the Sattelberg area; B-24's
carry out a light raid on Fak Fak; and P-40's bomb Iworep.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 07:05:56 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Kristallnacht

Date sent:      Wed, 17 Nov 1993 12:12:33 -0400
Send reply to:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
From:           Cagan Gurer <[email-masked]>
Subject:        Kristallnacht
To:             Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

Can someone please forward me the article on Kristallnacht that was originally
sent by Richard King. I accidentally erased it and I would really appreciate it
if someone can send it to me.
Cagan
[email-masked]

Cagan,

I have tried to forward your request to you. Please let me know if
you received it or not. If not, I will try again. I always save
postings such as these for future reference.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 07:08:23 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Addr: David Irving

Date sent:      Wed, 17 Nov 1993 19:39:09 +0100
Send reply to:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
From:           Richard Cummings <[email-masked]>
Organization:   Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty Inc.
Subject:        Re: Addr: David Irving
Originally to:  [email-masked]
To:             Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

Richard,

I am not aware that David Irving was ever deported from the US or
Canada. Possibly from Canada, but not from the US, unless he had
violated the laws regarding his entry permit. If you or anyone else
knows more about this, please pass it on.

Terry

 Someone can correct me on this, but I think that both Canada
and the United States either deported Irving, or allowed him to leave
voluntarily in the past.  Does anyone know for sure?  Richard in
Munich.

--==oo00oo==--
[email-masked]
RFE/RL Inc
Munich,Germany

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 10:24:51 -0400
From:    Cagan Gurer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Kristallnacht

Yes Terry I have received it, and thanks to all the others who forwarded it
to me.
Cagan

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 17:29:50 +0200
From:    Chris Scogings <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RAF/USAAF statistics

>Some of those statistics are suspect.  For instance, the Eighth Air Force
>alone suffered 46,000 casualties, far more than your source lists for the
>whole USAAF.

I thought they were a bit odd, esp. the suspicious round number of 17 000
USAAF casualties.  What are the real figures for the USAAF and the RAF?
Are 138 596 dead and 156 132 missing, correct for the Luftwaffe?

Chris
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Scogings                      Voice: (27) 331 955645
Computer Science Dept                 Fax: (27) 331 955599
University of Natal
Pietermaritzburg                   E-Mail:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 10:49:06 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Full Circle

Date sent:      Thu, 18 Nov 1993 13:31:10 AEST
Send reply to:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
From:           [email-masked]
Subject:        Re: Full Circle
Originally to:  [email-masked]
To:             Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

Lou Coatney WIU writes -

>FULL CIRCLE - I thought that title was Johnston's treatise on aerial warfare?

Could have been - the last time I saw the book was about 20 years ago. I was
hoping for confirmation or more information....

Wilber.

Lou, Wilber and others,

Yes. Air Vice-Marshal J.E. "Johnny" Johnson published a book in the
early 1960's by the title you mention above "Full Circle". I have the
Ballantine paperback edition of it, and read it when it came out. It
deals with the history of aerial combat from WWI through Korea.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 10:51:24 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: the best German night fighter pilot

Date sent:      Wed, 17 Nov 1993 13:18:44 AEST
Send reply to:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
From:           [email-masked]
Subject:        Re: the best German night fighter pilot
Originally to:  [email-masked]
To:             Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

Wilber,

I will have to check your reference to this book dealing with
the night fighers. There have been several published both here and in
England, and I will have to get back to you on this.

More later.

Terry

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to remember reading a book titled "Full Circle", by British night
fighter ace Alan Cunningham (I think!) which gave some good accounts of
being a night fighter pilot, and what they had to contend with.

Wilber.

+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Wilber WILLIAMS                            [email-masked]      |
|Prentice Centre                            Telephone : +61 7 365 4232   |
|The University of Queensland               Facsimile : +61 7 365 4477   |
|Brisbane Qld 4072  AUSTRALIA                                            |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 10:54:09 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Nazi program

Dennis,

This seems to have been taken from Hitler's "Mein Kampf". Thanks for
the post, and it is very interesting.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 12:52:07 EST
From:    Charles Reace <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Full Circle

I think I know the book you're looking for regarding a British night
fighter pilot.  I've got it at home, so I'll try to remember to find
it tonight and get the title/author/etc. for you tomorrow.

  __|  __|  __|  |  Charles Reace <[email-masked]>
_|   _|   _|     |
 |       | |     |  Computer Sciences Corp., Integrated Systems Div.
 ___|____/ ___|  |  304 W. Rte. 38, Moorestown, NJ 08057

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 12:51:14 EST
From:    Crane Conrad LTC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RAF/USAAF statistics

>>Some of those statistics are suspect.  For instance, the Eighth Air Force
>>alone suffered 46,000 casualties, far more than your source lists for the
>>whole USAAF.
>
>I thought they were a bit odd, esp. the suspicious round number of 17 000
>USAAF casualties.  What are the real figures for the USAAF and the RAF?
>Are 138 596 dead and 156 132 missing, correct for the Luftwaffe?
>
>Chris
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd have to do some more research for exact figures, but the best I have list
64,000 dead for United States Strategic Air Forces in Europe and 57,000 dead
for the RAF (44,000 from bomber crews and 41,000 with no known graves).  For
Luftwaffe airmen, there were 44,000 dead, 28,000 wounded, and 28,000 prisoners
or missing.    The figures you have seem way off.
                                             Con Crane

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 17 Nov 1993 21:32:27 CST
From:    "Irvine, Cindy Marie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Humor: A study guide to History

I received this and thought it would forward this to all of
you---unfortunately it ends before WWII--I am looking to see if there is
a second part to this.  Get out your textbooks to make some pen and ink
corrections!  Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************
------------------------------- Original Message -------------------------------
  The World According to Student Bloopers

        Richard Lederer
       St. Paul's School

    One of the fringe benefits of being an English or History teacher is
receiving the occasional jewel of a student blooper in an essay.  I have pasted
together the following "history" of the world from certifiably genuine student
bloopers collected by teachers throughout the United States, from eight grade
through college level.  Read carefully, and you will learn a lot.

    The inhabitants of Egypt were called mummies.  They lived in the Sarah
Dessert and traveled by Camelot.  The climate of the Sarah is such that the
inhabitants have to live elsewhere, so certain areas of the dessert are cul-
tivated by irritation.  The Egyptians built the Pyramids in the shape of a huge
triangular cube.  The Pramids are a range of mountains between France and
Spain.

    The Bible is full of interesting caricatures.  In the first book of the
Bible, Guinesses, Adam and Eve were created from an apple tree.  One of their
children, Cain, asked "Am I my brother's son?"  God asked Abraham to sacrifice
Issac on Mount Montezuma.  Jacob, son of Issac, stole his brother's birthmark.
Jacob was a partiarch who brought up his twelve sons to be partiarchs, but they
did not take to it.  One of Jacob's sons, Joseph, gave refuse to the Israelites.

    Pharaoh forced the Hebrew slaves to make bread without straw.  Moses led
them to the Red Sea, where they made unleavened bread, which is bread made
without any ingredients.  Afterwards, Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the
ten commandments.  David was a Hebrew king skilled at playing the liar.  He
fougth with the Philatelists, a race of people who lived in Biblical times.
Solomon, one of David's sons, had 500 wives and 500 porcupines.

    Without the Greeks, we wouldn't have history.  The Greeks invented three
kinds of columns - Corinthian, Doric and Ironic.  They also had myths.  A myth
is a female moth.  One myth says that the mother of Achilles dipped him in the
River Stynx until he became intolerable.  Achilles appears in "The Illiad", by
Homer.  Homer also wrote the "Oddity", in which Penelope was the last hardship
that Ulysses endured on his journey.  Actually, Homer was not written by Homer
but by another man of that name.

    Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice.
They killed him.  Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock.

    In the Olympic Games, Greeks ran races, jumped, hurled the biscuits, and
threw the java.  The reward to the victor was a coral wreath.  The government
of Athen was democratic because the people took the law into their own hands.
There were no wars in Greece, as the mountains were so high that they couldn't
climb over to see what their neighbors were doing.  When they fought the
Parisians,  the Greeks were outnumbered because the Persians had more men.

    Eventually, the Ramons conquered the Geeks.  History call people Romans
because they never stayed in one place for very long.  At Roman banquets, the
guests wore garlic in their hair.  Julius Caesar extinguished himself on the
battlefields of Gaul.  The Ides of March killed him because they thought he
was going to be made king.  Nero was a cruel tyrany who would torture his poor
subjects by playing the fiddle to them.

    Then came the Middle Ages.  King Alfred conquered the Dames, King Arthur
lived in the Age of Shivery, King Harlod mustarded his troops before the
Battle of Hastings, Joan of Arc was cannonized by George Bernard Shaw, and the
victims of the Black Death grew boobs on their necks.  Finally, the Magna Carta
provided that no free man should be hanged twice for the same offense.

    In midevil times most of the people were alliterate.  The greatest writer
of the time was Chaucer, who wrote many poems and verse and also wrote liter-
ature.  Another tale tells of William Tell, who shot an arrow through an apple
while standing on his son's head.

    The Renaissance was an age in which more individuals felt the value of
their human being.  Martin Luther was nailed to the church door at Wittenberg
for selling papal indulgences.  He died a horrible death, being excommunicated
by a bull.  It was the painter Donatello's interest in the female nude that
made him the father of the Renaissance.  It was an age of great inventions and
discoveries.  Gutenberg invented the Bible.  Sir Walter Raleigh is a historical
figure because he invented cigarettes.  Another important invention was the
circulation of blood.  Sir Francis Drake circumcised the world with a 100-foot
clipper.

    The government of England was a limited mockery.  Henry VIII found walking
difficult because he had an abbess on his knee.  Queen Elizabeth was the "Vir-
gin Queen."  As a queen she was a success.  When Elizabeth exposed herself be-
fore her troops, they all shouted "hurrah."  Then her navy went out and
defeated the Spanish Armadillo.

    The greatest writer of the Renaissance was William Shakespear.  Shakespear
never made much money and is famous only because of his plays.  He lived in
Windsor with his merry wives, writing tragedies, comedies and errors.  In one
of Shakespear's famous plays, Hamlet rations out his situation by relieving
himself in a long soliloquy.  In another, Lady Macbeth tries to convince Mac-
beth to kill the King by attacking his manhood.  Romeo and Juliet are an
example of a heroic couplet.  Writing at the same time as Shakespear was Miquel
Cervantes.  He wrote "Donkey Hote".  The next great author was John Milton.
Milton wrote "Paradise Lost."  Then his wife dies and he wrote "Paradise
Regained."

    During the Renaissance America began.  Christopher Columbus was a great
navigator who discovered America while cursing about the Atlantic.  His ships
were called the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Fe.  Later the Pilgrims
crossed the Ocean, and the was called the Pilgrim's Progress.  When they
landed at Plymouth Rock, they were greeted by Indians, who came down the hill
rolling their was hoops before them.  The Indian squabs carried porposies on
their back.  Many of the Indian heroes were killed, along with their
cabooses, which proved very fatal to them.  The winter of 1620 was a hard one
for the settlers.  Many people died and many babies were born.  Captain John
Smith was responsible for all this.

    One of the causes of the Revolutionary Wars was the English put tacks in
their tea.  Also, the colonists would send their pacels through the post with-
out stamps.  During the War, Red Coats and Paul Revere was throwing balls over
stone walls.  The dogs were barking and the peacocks crowing.  Finally, the
colonists won the War and no longer had to pay for taxis.

    Delegates from the original thirteen states formed the Contented Congress.
Thomas Jefferson, a Virgin, and Benjamin Franklin were two singers of the
Declaration of Independence.  Franklin had gone to Boston carrying all his
clothes in his pocket and a loaf of bread under each arm.  He invented elec-
tricity by rubbing cats backwards and declared "a horse divided against itself
cannot stand." Franklin died in 1790 and is still dead.

    George Washington married Matha Curtis and in due time became the Father
of Our Country.  Them the Constitution of the United States was adopted to
secure domestic hostility.  Under the Constitution the people enjoyed the
right to keep bare arms.

    Abraham Lincoln became America's greatest Precedent.  Lincoln's mother
died in infancy, and he was born in a log cabin which he built with his own
hands.  When Lincoln was President, he wore only a tall silk hat.  He said,
"In onion there is strength."  Abraham Lincoln write the Gettysburg address
while traveling from Washington to Gettysburg on the back of an envelope.  He
also signed the Emasculation Proclamation, and the Fourteenth Amendment gave
the ex-Negroes citizenship.  But the Clue Clux Clan would torcher and lynch
the ex-Negroes and other innocent victims.  On the night of April 14, 1865,
Lincoln went to the theater and got shot in his seat by one of the actors in
a moving picture show.  The believed assinator was John Wilkes Booth, a sup-
posedl insane actor.  This ruined Booth's career.

    Meanwhile in Europe, the enlightenment was a reasonable time.  Voltare
invented electricity and also wrote a book called "Candy".  Gravity was
invented by Issac Walton.  It is chiefly noticeable in the Autumn, when the
apples are flaling off the trees.

    Bach was the most famous composer in the world, and so was Handel.  Handel
was half German, half Italian and half English.  He was very large.  Bach died
from 1750 to the present.  Beethoven wrote music even though he was deaf.  He
was so deaf he wrote loud music.  He took long walks in the forest even when
everyone was calling for him.  Beethoven expired in 1827 and later died for
this.

    France was in a very serious state.  The French Revolution was accomplished
before it happened.  The Marseillaise was the theme song of the French Revolu-
tion, and it catapulted into Napoleon.  During the Napoleonic Wars, the crowned
heads of Europe were trembling in their shoes.  Then the Spanish gorrilas came
down from the hills and nipped at Napoleon's flanks.  Napoleon became ill with
bladder problems and was very tense and unrestrained.  He wanted an heir to
inheret his power, but since Josephine was a baroness, she couldn't bear him
any children.

    The sun never set on the British Empire because the British Empire is in
the East and the sun sets in the West.  Queen Victoria was the longest queen.
She sat on a thorn for 63 years.  He reclining years and finally the end of
her life were exemplatory of a great personality.  Her death was the final
event which ended her reign.

    The nineteenth century was a time of many great inventions and thoughts.
The invention of the steamboat caused a network of rivers to spring up.  Cyrus
McCormick invented the McCormick Raper, which did the work of a hundred men.
Samuel Morse invented a code for telepathy.  Louis Pastuer discovered a cure
for rabbis.  Charles Darwin was a naturailst who wrote the "Organ of the
Species".  Madman Curie discovered radium.  And Karl Marx became one of the
Marx Brothers.

    The First World War, cause by the assignation of the Arch-Duck by a surf,
ushered in a new error in the anals of human history.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 19 Nov 1993 09:05:59 +1100
From:    John Foster <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Reply to James Irwin

Isn't revenge one of the main criteria used by the Nuremberg tribunal to
declare someone a war criminal?
   It is interesting to note that when the delegation under von Fiedeburg
were negotiating surrender with Montgomery they refused Monty's terms and
pleaded to be allowed to assist the population in the east who would suffer
under the Russians.Monty's reply was something to the effect of........
   "do you remember the little town of Coventry....which six years ago was
blown off the face of the earth by your bombers.The people who bore the brunt
of it were women children and old men.Your women and children get no sympathy
from me.." An interesting statement re the war crime tribunals guide lines.
    One day previous to this von Tippelskirch commander of the 21st army
group had entered into surrender negotiations with the slim Jim Gavin.At
one point the german general asked Gavin to take good care of the palace
they were in as it had once been his home.Gavin's reply was"Did the general
know how the the Germans had taken good care of Coventry back in 1940".
  This from a US soldier to boot .So it seems the morality issue in war
usually gets pushed somewhat to the rear.

                                                          Regards
                                                       John Foster
                                                      Newcastle UNI
                                                       Australia
  Any connection with Mick is entirely coincidental and probably the result
of a statistical abberration rather than a con genital abnormality.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Nov 1993 18:44:46 -0400
From:    "Steven C. Salina" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Hitler Stationary

I am wondering if anyone can offer me some advice.  I have been approached by
someone who claims he has some authentic Hitler stationary for sale.  He says
it belongs to the person who acquired it from the Chancelary in 1945.  This
person's name is Wolfgang VonEckhart.  He has a pice (piece)
of stationary and an envelope that are embossed with Hitler's seal.  He wants
me to make an offer to him as to a purchase price.  Does this sound fishy to
anyone?  If not, what would be a legit offer (my experience in theis is next
to nill)?  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanx,
Steve Salina
Bentley College
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 19 Nov 1993 11:43:54 AEST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Full Circle

Terry Moore writes -

>Yes. Air Vice-Marshal J.E. "Johnny" Johnson published a book in the
>early 1960's by the title you mention above "Full Circle". I have the
>Ballantine paperback edition of it, and read it when it came out. It
>deals with the history of aerial combat from WWI through Korea.

Terry,
        Thanks for that. I will have to go and see if I can find that one
in the library.

        But now that I am totally confused - I need help to find the book
I was originally thinking about. It was written by a British fighter
pilot, who (from memory) was a night fighter pilot. I remember anecdotes
about him converting from Beaufighters to Mosquitos - and how he "cooked"
on his first night patrol. (The Beaufighters had air-cooled radials, and
the Mossie had water-cooled Merlins, with a big radiator on each side of
the cockpit. The crew rugged up, as was normal for the Beaufighter!) I
thought the author was Alan Cunningham. Has anybody got any ideas.?

+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Wilber WILLIAMS                            [email-masked]      |
|Prentice Centre                            Telephone : +61 7 365 4232   |
|The University of Queensland               Facsimile : +61 7 365 4477   |
|Brisbane Qld 4072  AUSTRALIA                                            |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 17 Nov 1993 to 18 Nov 1993
*************************************************