Subject: WWII-L Digest - 14 Jan 1994 to 15 Jan 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 1994 00:00:34 -0500

There are 4 messages totalling 170 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. WWII books
  2. General of the Army
  3. Icelandic casualities in WWII
  4. WEAP: DR.BOYD--GERMAN SUBMARINES

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 14 Jan 1994 23:39:16 -0600
From:    Jon Stevens <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII books

I just places an order from the Battery Press for a couple of officail
Marine Corps monographs on the South Pacific amd some other stuff. They
have reprinted quite a few books that have been out of print for quite a
few years but mostly on the US Marine Corps. My father was a WWII USMC
vet and bought quite a few books from them.  They also have quite a bit on
Naval History.

The Battery Press
PO Box 3107
Uptown Station
Nashville , TN 37219

One other is the:

 East Front Military
2507 E. Randolph Ave.
Dept. SE
Alexandria, Va 22301

This one is somewhat expensive but seems to a wide variety of new and out
of print books on , what else, the German military.

A good place to consult for WWII booksellers, mostly mailorder, is the
magazine, WORLD WAR II.

Jon Stevens

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 15 Jan 1994 17:50:18 +0700
From:    "Peter E. Beal" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: General of the Army

On Fri, 14 Jan 1994, Jim Benn wrote:

> Didn't Douglas MacArthur have some kind of "Field Marshal" rank from the
> Phillipine government just prior to WWII? As I recall he was in some kind
> of detached service/retirement from the US Army; did this rank carry with
> him back into active service?
>
Yes. MacAthur was a (in fact, the) Field Marshal of the Phillipine Army.
I think he had retired from active service in the U.S. Army but was, of
course, called back thereto when the ware started.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 15 Jan 1994 16:25:00 CET
From:    Fred van Wetten <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Icelandic casualities in WWII

> Gudmundur Helgason wrote:
> >The
> >Norwegians "bought" their captives back home after the war while the
> >Danish did not.
>
>      Fate of Waffen-SS volunteers differed from onecountry to another.  A
> bad one:
>
>      Dutch Waffen-SS volunteers were no longer Dutch citizens after the
> war.  `` They were forced to carry around a passport certifying them as
> "resident aliens" without the benefits of Dutch citizenship.''  (_Siegrunen_
> No.39)  The cover of passport says "PASPOORT VOOR VREEMDELINGEN".  I don't
> know if it is still in effect.

  Every Dutchman who joins the army of an other country loses by that
  act his citizenschip. It was then, and it still counts today.
  So, for example joining the Foreign Legion, makes you 'Stateless' by
  Dutch law.

  I have known a Dutch Leuitenant, Martin Ludemann, who fought in de 5
  days in May '40 and decided on his own, after the Dutch capitulation,
  to make it for England. He joint the British Army and became the youn-
  gest Major in the Italian campaigne. Dutch units were created, which
  were integrated in the British Army, but he didn't consider to join
  them. (Details: His father was a German violin player, who fled Nazi
  Germany for Holland and his mother was Norwegian. So this early Euro-
  pian, didn't realy consider joining the Dutch forces in England).
  After the war, he returned to Holland and by his big surprise, he re-
  cieved an 'invitation' to appear for a military court.
  He was accused of being illegaly absent in may '40, when he fled for
  England and that he joined a foreign army. He pled that Holland had
  fallen and that he as an officer couldn't leave his men he commanded
  in Italy to join a unit which was still 'under construction'. The
  court softenned by the outcome of the war, spoke him free of the char-
  ges; he retained his citizenship and was offered a commision as a
  captain in the Dutch army.
  Needless to say that this Europian went his own way.
  Yes, also in Holland, we do know how to apprieciate those men who did
  the job.

>
>      BTW, there seemed at least one Icelandic volunteer.
>
>      ``The Icelandic volunteer Odiussen ["Egidir"] Grettir, born 7 May 1910,
> was a student in Germany when the war broke out.  In 1939/40 he joined the
> Waffen-SS and subsequently served either with the "Wiking" or "Nord" Divisions
> He was last seen alive in Soviet captivity at the end of war.'' (_Siegrunen_
> No.42)
> --
>       Akira Takiguchi  VP, ATSON, Inc.  (a subsidiary of the Asahi Shimbun)
>              CANAL TOWER  9-3 Nihonbashi-Koamicho Chuo-ku Tokyo 103  Japan
>    +81 3 3666 2881(voice) 2882(fax)  EMAIL TO <[email-masked]>

Fred van Wetten           Netadress:[email-masked]
CRI, instituut voor telecommunicatie en computerdienstverlening
RijksUniversiteit Leiden, PO BOX 9512, 2300 RA LEIDEN, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 (0)71 276933     Fax: +31 (0)71 276967

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 15 Jan 1994 16:41:14 EST
From:    "CARL WERNKE (TCWERNC@VCCSCENT)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: DR.BOYD--GERMAN SUBMARINES

 X-To: [email-masked]

 To:MULTIPLE RECIPIENTS OF LIST WWII-L ([email-masked])

 Gudmundur,

 Your post 10 Jan 1994, at 17:37:25 stated
 >Can you imagine where I could get the following:
 >A complete list of all U-boat commanders in WWII
 >A complete list of all U-boat operations (dates of sailing etc)

 Dr.Carl Boyd
 Graduate Program Director
 Department of History
 Old Dominion University---recommended the following sources of information.--

      1. THE U-BOAT: THE EVOLUTION AND TECHNICAL HISTORY OF GERMAN SUBMARINES,
         Author: Eberhard Rossler, Published by The United States Naval
         Institute, MD , dated 1989.

      2. AXIS SUBMARINE LOSSES, 1939-1945, Author: Jurgen Rohwer, Published by
         USNI, Dated 1983.

      3. U BOAT IN THE ATLANTIC,1939-1045, Published by HM Stationery Dept.
         London, England  1990. (Incomplete address).

      4. My recommendation is: U-BOAT ACE: THE STORY OF Wolfgang Luth,
         Author: Jordan Vause, Published by USNI, Date, Late 1980s.

  I hope that this material can be helpful in your research.

  Carl Wernke
  [email-masked]

  =============================================================================

  Bob Smart,

  On 14 Jan I had a very enjoyable talk with Dr.Boyd. He gave his best
  regards to you. However, he is not on-line at ODU.

  Hope to hear from you again, Bob.

  Carl

  CARL WERNKE
  [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 14 Jan 1994 to 15 Jan 1994
*************************************************