Subject: WWII-L Digest - 4 Jan 1994 to 5 Jan 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 00:00:34 -0500

There are 20 messages totalling 759 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. <No subject given> (2)
  2. Gypsies
  3. Naval Historical Center address?
  4. Philippine Islands/Guerrilla Activty -- books (2)
  5. GERMAN VETS
  6. Ref: Army Times Subscribers (2)
  7. your mail (2)
  8. The List...
  9. Czechs and WWII
 10. apologies
 11. WWII Casualty Figures
 12. Czech airmen in WW II. (2)
 13. National Archives Fax-on-Demand (fwd)
 14. Prchal (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 01:39:29 -0400
From:    Myron Havis <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

>I am sure that everyone on this list has heard of the Holocaust.  My
>question is, "How many non-Jewish people died in the camps during World
>War II?"  Does anyone have any numbers and perhaps a breakdown by sex,
>crime (political, criminal, mental), age, religion, etc.

> Any help would be appreciated.

    I've always seen the figures of 12 million killed in the camps, i.e. 6
million jews and 6 million non-jews (communists, homosexuals, gypsies, etc.)
and a total of 25 million total casualties of the war.

    Anybody have anything more definitive?

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 02:04:17 CST
From:    Steve Alvin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Gypsies

Some notes on Gypsies culled from my Britannica:

Gypsies, native name Roma, were originally low-caste people of
India and are related by name to the Doms, a tribe of musicians
and rope makers.  Gypsies' language is Prakritic, which is related
to sanskrit.  The term Gypsie derives from "Egyptian", possably an
example of European mis-understanding of their language.

For unknown reasons the Gypsies left N W India before 1000 AD.
They settled first in Persia, but left when the Mongols came.
They first reached Europe around the year 1300 in Greece via
Anatolia.  Spreading through eastern Europe, they reached Hesse
around 1414 and were general in Germany by 1417.  By 1427 they
had reached France, Switzerland, and Northern Italy.  By 1500
they reached England.

REcords for Nazi extermenation are scketchy.  But, thousands of
Gypsies werekilled in Yugoslavia.  At least 20,000 died at
Treblinca, Belzec, Buchenwald, Ravensbruck, and Mauthausen.
Czech and Polish Gypsies were killed at Auschwitz.  2,000
Gypsies were murdered in Belgium.

After the war, Polish Gypsies numbered no more than 4,500, out
of a pre-war total of 18,000.

--
Steve Alvin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 08:39:41 -0500
From:    Robert Doyle <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Naval Historical Center address?

In message Tues, 04 Jan 94 11:16:37, MX%"[email-masked]"  writes:
> I hope someone out there can help me. I'm trying to contact the
> Naval Historical Center in Washington, DC. However, the address
> that I have always used in the past with success, has apparently
> been changed -- or, at least, my last communication with them was
> "Returned to Sender." The address I have been using is:
>
> Naval Historical Center
> Washington Navy Yard
> Washington, D.C.  20374-0571
> USA
>
> Have they moved or changed their address? Does anyone know their
> telephone and/or fax numbers?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Olaf Janzen                           Tel: (709) 637-6282
> Department of History                 FAX: (709) 639-8125
> Sir Wilfred Grenfell College          e-mail: [email-masked]
> Corner Brook, Newfoundland
> Canada
> A2H 6P9
>
No, they are still in the Navy Yard and your letter should have been
delivered, but ... this is Washington. Try this more complete address:

Naval Historical Center
Bldg. 57
Washington Navy Yard
901 M St., S.E.
Washington, D.C.  20374-5060
USA
Phone: 202-433-4131

Robert J. Doyle, Jr.
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington, DC
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 09:04:14 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

Date sent:      Tue, 4 Jan 1994 10:57:22 -0500
Send reply to:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
From:           GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Organization:   Rockhurst College; Kansas City, MO
To:             Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

George,

I have one or two books on this subject at the house, and will post
them tomorrow. Alexander McKee wrote a first rate book on the aerial
battle of Britain, but the name escapes me.

I have personally corresponded with one Czech who flew with the RAF
during the Battle of Britain. If you want, I can provide his name and
address. He lives in Brno, Czechoslovakia. He speaks English, and it
should be no problem to ask him for a personal account.

Hope this helps, and I will write more tomorrow.

Terry
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read recent postings about books dealing with Baltic people who fought
in WWII.

Does anybody know any books about Czechs that fought in WWII, particularly
Czechs who flew with the RAF and RCAF?

Thank you.

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my        | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   second extended stay           |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  |   in Prague.                     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  | Working on second book about     |    economic, social, political     |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic. |    changes and opportunities.      |
  | U.S.A. E-Mail:  BAUER@RCKHRST1   | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |                                  | Stamp collecting.                  |
  =========================================================================

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 10:16:10 -0500
From:    "Mr. Scott Hannon" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Philippine Islands/Guerrilla Activty -- books

Lou Coatney writes:
> THEY FOUGHT ALONE is another good one, Terry.  Not to abet
>  MacArthur bashing, but I remember the author's humorous
>  recollection that they only really started receiving weapons
>  and other support after they had requested autographed
>  portraits of the General.

This is the book on Fertig, right? As I recall, he promoted himself to
General (from Col or Lt Col) in mid-1942 so as to make control of other
guerilla leaders (of similar rank to his real rank) easier. When he got
in radio contact with US/MacAthur, they were none to pleased about his
promotion ("no, you're not" basically). There was also some confusion
about whether he was really who he said he was (he didn't use a
pre-arranged code he had himself set up with a US man he rescued earlier).
So the story about the Mac autographs is most likely coincidence.

I think the Time-Life WW2 book on the Return to the Philippines mentions
his troubles.

Scott.
([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 09:39:57 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GERMAN VETS

Date sent:      Sat, 1 Jan 1994 12:39:46 +0100
Send reply to:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
From:           John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject:        GERMAN VETS
Originally to:  World War II list <[email-masked]>
To:             Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

John and others!

I will try to answer your original question as fully as possible
without trying to bore you to death.

As mentioned earlier, I acquired a membership roster of the
Ordensgemeinschaft der Ritterkreuztraeger, with HQ in Frankfurt/Main,
in November, 1978. At the time, that roster contained the names and
addresses of about 1100 winners of the Knight's Cross. Well, I wrote
all of them as quickly as I could, bearing in mind that, if I didn't,
many would pass on before I could receive anything from them.

In 1979, I acquired recognition by the OdR as a collector of
documents, accounts of military careers, etc., which, when published
in their newsletter, opened the doors to those who had previously not
responded to my inquiry for this type of information. In the
meantime, I was sent an updated version of their membership roster
which contained the names of many more Knight's Cross holders, some
with international reputations. This updated version added about 200
names to my list of addresses.

Since that time, the OdR has added about 400 new members, but with
attrition, the membership number has remained about the same.

In 1979, I also contacted other collectors recognized by the OdR with
the aim of acquiring additional addresses and two long-time
collectors sent me their entire address listings containing the names
of KC winners who did not belong to the OdR. That added another 1100
names to my holdings. Thus throughout 1979-1981, I sent out form
letters on a regular basis, 5-10 per day for two years, and, I would
say that my considerable collection was acquired by 1983, in other
words, in about 5 years.

I had also acquired a membership roster of the German Fighter Pilots
Association which yielded other addresses I didn't have access to.

Another collector in St. Louis, MO, sent me the addresses of a few
more I didn't have, and so on.

In relation to this aspect of my collection, I am currently reliant
on the publication of new members of the OdR. With the fall of the
Berlin Wall, some KC holders have joined the OdR, and I have written
them all, and heard from all but 1.

My original intent in writing these people was to contact general
officers and hopefully start up a regular correspondance. This
happened several times, and all that correspondance plus all the
other, as well, has been saved. But, as also mentioned earlier, one
thing leads to another, and I began writing all of them as quickly as
I could. Usually, I will send each a letter until something is
received from them, even a returned letter, before I stop writing.
Some would not have written me otherwise, I can tell you. Some need
convincing, and this is usually done with repeated mailings, before
responding to an inquiry.

My corresponding has also led to other aspects of collecting
photographs, documents, etc. In 1983, I acquired a memberhship roster
of the American Fighter Pilots Association, which contained the names
and addresses of around 600 former fighter pilots of WWI, WWII, Korea
and Viet-Nam.

Another collector has provided me with the names of 500-600 more
people. These were mainly fighter pilots of other nations, such as
Canada, England, Russia, Belgium, France, Poland, South Africa,
Australia, New Zealand, etc.

The main employment of these people was during the Battle of Britain.
My whole intent and purpose of putting such a collection together,
was to:

    1. supplement my own reading on this subject. This makes history
live.
    2. preserve ANY story or stories that these people wish to tell.

    3. recognize and honor bravery, regardless of uniform with no
regard to politics.

    Well, that about covers it. From the 3000-4000 people with whom I
have corresponded, I can account for 99%. There are only about 200
people left in all of my address holdings from whom I have yet to
hear, but I hope to someday receive something. Currently, I am trying
to acquire some of the more rare autographs of KC holders, many who
were killed during the war.

    I am open to any additional questions and/or comment.

    At some point, I will post my holdings to Larry Jewell. I would
have already done so, but I am expecting some additional material
from Europe. When I have got this together, Larry will inform the
list.

   One other thing. For those who are interested, the Mr. Heinrich
Gerlach, the pilot of the Fieseler Storch which carried Mussolini and
Skorzeny from the Gran Sasso in the Appenines, died on 20 Oct 1993.
He was 80 years old. I had the great honor to listen to his personal
account of this exploit in 1989 while visiting a friend who arranged
this interview. The interview lasted five hours, and Mr. Gerlach used
pictures taken during the operation to explain what was happening
when it did. For his efforts, he was awarded the Knight's Cross
personally from Hermann Goering.

    I thought this might be of interest.

    Hope you weren't bored.

    Terry

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I read with great interest your message to Jim Brady about your
contact with
German vets.  Would you mind telling us how you came to be in contact with so
many of them?
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 10:10:18 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Philippine Islands/Guerrilla Activty -- books

Date sent:      Tue, 4 Jan 1994 10:48:08 -0600
Send reply to:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
From:           [email-masked]
Subject:        Re: Philippine Islands/Guerrilla Activty -- books
To:             Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

Lou,

Thank you for the name of that one. I am not familiar with it, and
will be on the look out for it.

Have you read anything about McArthur's conduct of the Buna-Gona
campaign of 1942? You might find, as I did, that the
sobriquet was well-deserved.

If memory serves me properly, it was here that he acquired that
nickname.

There is no doubt that MacArthur was the supreme egotist, and his
staff did idolize him, as you say, but MacArthur needed no help in
projecting this side of himself. I also recommend the book, "The Life
of a General: A Biography of Omar Bradley" by Clay Blair, Jr. that
will give you a great insight into MacArthur's character,
particularly during the Korean War.

Also, Eisenhower said of MacArthur during his (Eisenhower's) service
in the Philippines in the 1930's that he had studied "dramatics under
MacArthur". My only point is that MacArthur's egotism was evident
even then, and didn't require a staff to enhance that. I think that
with the advent of the War, the news media used MacArthur to prop up
morale at home, which made MacArthur all the more aware of
maintaining this image as an indefatigible warrior and
infallible strategist.

MacArthur may have deliberately exposed himself to enemy fire, but, I
can't help but wonder if this was also staged. You know there was
more than one "walk ashore" at Leyte. All that was carefully staged
for the cameras and home consumption.

Please don't misunderstand. I am not bashing MacArthur. There were
none keener in military matters, but my point is that MacArthur's
egotism was both used and enhanced, not only from his viewpoint, but
by the media as well.

Thanks, again, for the note, and I will be on the look out for They
Fought Alone.

Happy New Year.

Terry
----------------------------------------------------------------------

THEY FOUGHT ALONE is another good one, Terry.  Not to abet
  MacArthur bashing, but I remember the author's humorous
  recollection that they only really started receiving weapons
  and other support after they had requested autographed
  portraits of the General.

We should remember that some of his staff were responsible
  for what appeared to be HIS egotism.  Many of them idolized
  him.

My understanding is that "Dugout Doug" was wholly unjustified,
  and M. deliberately and unnecessarily exposed himself on more
  than one occasion to disprove that stereotype.

Lou Coatney, WIU

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 10:19:34 CST
From:    "[email-masked]. --Scherrer,
         Tim A." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ref: Army Times Subscribers

If anyone out there is a subscriber to Army Times, can you please look
out for the Army Reserve promotion list for Captain.  It should be
printed sometime in the next month and a half.  I am just wondering if I
made the board.  They will have it before anyone else does.  Tanks in
advance!  Tim

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 10:19:08 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: your mail

Date sent:      Tue, 4 Jan 1994 11:03:39 CST
Send reply to:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
From:           phyllis <[email-masked]>
Subject:        Re: your mail
To:             Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

Ron and Phyllis,

The figure that sticks in my mind about the number of gypsies that
perished in the camps was in the neighborhood of 500,000. I can't be
certain of that, but I will try to locate my figures for you. I am
interested in this myself.

Thank you for your post and your analysis would seem correct.

Terry

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Ron,
I apologize for what may have seemed like a sarcastic tone. It so happened
that in my U.S. History class yesterday, we discussed the Holocaust and
WWII. My students, who are often on the ball, had asked several serious
questions, particulary on the origins of anti-semitism, its particular
strain within central and eastern europe; Roosevelt and "his" decision not
to bomb the concerntration camps, etc.  The subject, even for this list, is
not an easy one. The gypsies, like Jews, stretched across countries, hence in
some ways their numbers are just as approximate as those of the Jews. We will
probably never know the exact death toll for any of the ethnic groups, either
from the camps, resistance, etc...

Phyllis
University of Illinois at chicago

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 10:21:51 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: your mail

Phyllis,

After reading Steve's posting, I really must have been off the mark.
Sorry about that. Time plays strange tricks on one's memory.

Thank you.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 11:45:40 -0500
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: The List...

A good book on the Russo-Finish war of 1939-40 is called "A Frozen Hell".
It is written by William R. Trotter and published by Algonquin Books of
Chapel Hill, 1991.  I seem to recall getting my copy through a military
book club which I believe is associated with the Book of the Month Club
so, if you have problems finding it, that's where I'd start looking.
Dave.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 11:34:44 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Czechs and WWII

Terry:

Yes, I would be very much interested in contacting any Czech who flew
with the RAF or RCAF in WW II.  Names and addresses would be much
appreciated.

Also, as I mentioned, I would like to contact Americans in the AAF
stationed in England.  I desperately want to contact anyone hospitalized
at Queen Victoria Hospital during the War.

Thanks.

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my        | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   second extended stay           |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  |   in Prague.                     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  | Working on second book about     |    economic, social, political     |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic. |    problems and opportunities.     |
  | U.S.A. E-Mail:                   | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |      [email-masked]       | Stamp collecting.                  |
  =========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 13:02:38 EST
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: apologies

Phyllis;  No need for an apology - I didn't even read any sarcasm into your
response.  To the other listers out there - sorry I am clogging up
your readers with this but I seemed to have misplaced the mailfile with
Phyllis's address on it.

National Warplane Museum                         Ron Babuka
Geneseo, New York                                Cornell University

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 14:23:31 EST
From:    Lowe Barrett MAJ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ref: Army Times Subscribers

Tim,

I'll look for it and let you know.

Best wishes,

Bear

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 16:34:41 EST
From:    Cathy Lewis <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWII Casualty Figures

The figure of 12 million in the camps is consistent with what I have heard (6
million jews, and 6 million "others" including slav "guest workers'). I fear t
hat those figures are at best an approximation, but they make the point. The
total casual figure is a bit more problematic. 25 million, I assume only
accounts for the war in Europe (1939-45). That figure does not take into
account the more recent Soviet figure of 35 million in losses during the war.
I don't know how they came up with that figure. At one point Murray Feshbach
and Georgetown Univ. came up with a figure for Soviet losses based on
population losses with respect to pre-war growth patterns, ie. how many people
weren't born be cause of the war. Perhaps someone remembers what those numbers
were. This discussion evades the issue of losses in Asia. My impression is
that no one has any idea how many people died in Asia. My gut tells me that
the figure rivals the losses in Europe.

Cathleen S. Lewis ([email-masked])
National Air and Space Museum
Smithsonian Institution

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 17:18:56 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Czech airmen in WW II.

George,

     The pilot of Gen. Sikorski's (ill-fated) plane which crashed on
takeoff  was Czech.  According to Janusz Zawodny, he was last known
to be living in California.

Lou Coatney, WIU

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 16:25:53 -0800
From:    "Jackson, Christopher R. UC Davis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: National Archives Fax-on-Demand (fwd)

I picked this off the legal history list; there are a number of items of
interest, including sound recordings of participants in World War II.

Christopher R. Jackson, UC Davis

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 13:27:44 -0600
From:[email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list H-LAW <[email-masked]>
Subject: National Archives Fax-on-Demand

 From: Debra Steidel Wall <[email-masked]>

 This message was  originally submitted by [email-masked] to the  H-FILM list at
 The Nontextual Archives Division of the National Archives
 announces the installation of its fax-on-demand system, which
 allows researchers to select and receive pamphlets and other
 material via fax.  The system, which can be reached at (301) 713-
 6905, must be called from a fax machine.  There is no charge for
 the service except for any long distance phone charges the caller
 may incur.

 We invite you to test the system, which currently contains moving
 notices, general information leaflets, select lists, reference
 reports, and other finding aid material.  We would appreciate any
 comments, suggestions, or criticisms.  Please contact Debra Wall
 via e-mail at [email-masked], or at (202) 501-5449.

 A list of documents currently available on the system follows.
 We will add new documents regularly.

             National Archives Fax-on-Demand System
                         (301) 713-6905

 NUMBER    DESCRIPTION                                     PAGES

 GENERAL
    1 List of available documents (this document)
 1000 Information About the National Archives for Prospective
      Researchers                                              6

 CLOSE NOTICES
 2001 Motion Picture, Sound, and Video Branch Close Notice     1
 2002 Still Picture Branch Close Notice                        1
 2003 Cartographic and Architectural Branch Close Notice       1

 MOTION PICTURE, SOUND, AND VIDEO BRANCH
 3000 Motion Pictures and Sound and Video Recordings in the
      National Archives                                        3
 3001 National Archives Gift Collection Acquisition Policy:
      Motion Pictures & Sound and Video Recordings             4
 3002 Copyright Warning Notice                                 1
 3003 List of freelance film researchers in the D.C. area      1
 3100 An Overview of card catalogs in the Motion Picture,
      Sound, and Video Branch                                  2
 3130 Presidential Inaugural Addresses and Oaths of Offices:
      Sound Recordings                                         1
 3131 Presidential Inaugural Addresses and Oaths of Offices:
      Film and Video                                           1
 3201 Select Audiovisual Records: Captured German Sound
      Recordings                                              13
 3202 Select Audiovisual Records: The Crucial Decade: Voices
      of the Postwar Era 1945-54                              20
 3203 Select Audiovisual Records, Sound Recordings: Voices of
      World War II, 1937-1945                                  9
 3300 A Selection of Historical Motion Pictures in the
      National Archives                                        2
 3401 Reference Report: Audiovisual Records Relating to D-Day  6

 STILL PICTURE BRANCH
 4000 Information for Prospective Researchers About the Still
      Picture Branch of the National Archives                  7
 4100 Select Audiovisual Records: Pictures of African
      Americans During World War II                           20
 4102 Select Audiovisual Records: Pictures of World War II    13
 4104 Select Audiovisual Records: Pictures of United States
      Navy Ships                                              10
 4106 Select Audiovisual Records: Pictures of the Civil War   11
 4108 Select Audiovisual Records: Photographs of the American
      West, 1861-1912                                         11
 4110 Select Audiovisual Records: Pictures of the Revolutionary
      War                                                      8
 4112 Select Audiovisual Records: Pictures of Indians in the
      United States                                           11
 4114 Select Audiovisual Records: Pictures of the American
      City                                                    10
 4116 Select Audiovisual Records: Pictures from the Harmon
      Foundation, Artwork and Art Activities                   8
 4118 Select Audiovisual Records: Contemporary African Art
      from the Harmon Foundation                              10

 Cartographic and Architectural Branch
 5000 Cartographic and Architectural Branch General Information
      Leaflet                                                  8

 Updated: January 4, 1994

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 Jan 1994 02:14:11 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Czech airmen in WW II.

>      The pilot of Gen. Sikorski's (ill-fated) plane which crashed on
> takeoff  was Czech.  According to Janusz Zawodny, he was last known
> to be living in California.

This pilot -- Prchal -- returned to Czechoslavakia after the war, but soon
found the government there unbearable; he stole an aircraft to return to
Britain. He could find no job there, so he went to the USA, were, if I
remember well, he had a job as language teacher at some military education
institution. He died not so long ago, and was buried in Britain.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 20:26:18 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Prchal

Thanks, Emmanuel, for the update.  I wonder if he was teaching
  Czech at the Defense Dept.'s language school in Monterey(?)

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Jan 1994 20:34:34 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Prchal

The language school was at the Presidio, wasn't it?

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my second | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   extended stay in Prague.       |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  |                                  | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  | Working on second book about     |    economic, social, political     |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic. |    problems and opportunities.     |
  | E-Mail:                          | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |   USA:  [email-masked]    | Stamp collecting.                  |
  =========================================================================

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 4 Jan 1994 to 5 Jan 1994
***********************************************