Subject: WWII-L Digest - 25 Jan 1994 to 26 Jan 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 00:01:16 -0500

There are 13 messages totalling 363 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Big Week (2)
  2. Wreathlaying to Commemorate Liberation of Manila
  3. USAAF 26 JAN 44
  4. MEDIA: Telly Savales dead at 70 (2)
  5. "Cross of Iron" (film) accurate to what? (3)
  6. Rangers
  7. Russian Military Museums (2)
  8. MEDIA: Telly Savales dead at 70 (Typo-Free Version!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 08:08:38 -0500
From:    Kevin Kamphaus <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Big Week

Jack,

Does Cox have an Internet address? That is the place I wrote to for
information on the 926th Signal Batt. Also I believe I mistakenly sent you a
reply meant for the list, if so would you please forward it, thanks.

Kevin Kamphaus
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 08:54:36 -0600
From:    CAPT Tim Taylor USN <[email-masked]>
Subject: Wreathlaying to Commemorate Liberation of Manila

----------------------------------------------------------------
           The Navy Public Affairs Library (NAVPALIB)
   A service of the Navy Office of Information, Washington DC
     Send feedback/questions to [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------
WREATHLAYING TO COMMEMORATE LIBERATION OF MANILA

    A wreathlaying ceremony to commemorate the Liberation of
Manila will be conducted on Thursday, Feb. 3, 1994, at 11 a.m. at
the United States Navy Memorial in Washington, DC.
    On Feb. 3, 1945, about 3,700 American prisoners of war were
liberated from the Santo Tomas Camp.
    His Excellency Raul C. H. Rabe, Ambassador of the Philippines,
will place the wreath and speak.
    The Navy Memorial is located at 701 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.,
immedatiately adjacent to the National Archives/Navy Memorial Metro
stop.  For more information, call 202-737-2300.
                               -USN-

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 10:09:15 EST
From:    Crane Conrad LTC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Big Week

A general comment on Big Week, since this news release might give it more
credit than it actually deserves. The operations were important, but both
Galland and Murray point out that it was the attrition over the next few
months, and not in February, that really broke the back of the Luftwaffe.
Galland was actually pleased with the loss ratios that week, especially by his
night fighters against the British. The news release seems to rely on AAF
claims more than Luftwaffe figures.
                                             LTC Con Crane
                                             USMA

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 11:19:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: USAAF 26 JAN 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 26 JANUARY 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 15 B-24's bomb Maungdaw; 7 B-25's
and 3 fighters hit a camp at Razabil and attack targets of opportunity between
Maungdaw and Buthidaung.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 18 P-40's from Kunming bomb and
strafe the airfield and barracks at Kengtung.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 144 B-26's scheduled to bomb
V-weapon sites in France are recalled because of bad weather.
  573d, 574th and 575th Bombardment Squadrons (Medium), 391st Bombardment
Group (Medium), arrives at Matching, England from the US with B-26's;
first mission is 15 Feb.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, A-20's attack Cisterna
di Latina, toward which the US Fifth Army's VI Corps is moving; A-36's and
P-40's fly harassing attacks against roads and railroads, bombing at Belmonte
in Sabina, Cisterna, Itri, Ceccano, Frosinone, Poggio Mirteto and at points
around these towns; A-36's destroy a fuel dump and several trucks and
artillery caissons in the Ceprano-Priverno area.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): In the Marshall Islands, 9
B-25's from Makin Island, Gilbert Islands, hit several targets in Maloelap
Atoll; about 20 fighters attack the formation; 12 P-40's, meeting the
returning B-25's over Aur Atoll, join the battle against the fighters,
claiming 10+ destroyed; the B-25's claim 5 shot down; several more are
destroyed on the ground or while taking off during the bombing raid. 9 B-25's
from Tarawa Atoll, Gilbert Islands hit Aineman Island in Jaluit Atoll, and
nearby shipping.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): 80+ Allied fighters cover a
strike by 50+ US Navy (USN) dive bombers on the Lakunai area AA positions and
revetments on New Britain Island; 3 Allied fighters are lost; 20+ Japanese
airplanes are claimed shot down.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): 42 B-24's bomb Momote, Los
Negros Island and Lorengau, Manus Island. In New Guinea, 140+ B-24's, A-20's,
P-39's, and P-40's hit the Alexishafen-Madang area. 18 B-25's bomb Bogia
village. On New Britain Island, A-20's hit the Cape Raoult area and P-40's
strafe barges along the N coast.
  26th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 6th Photographic Reconnaissance
Group, transfers from Brisbane, Australia to Dobodura, New Guinea with F-5's;
first mission is 10 Feb.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 11:32:11 EST
From:    Kurt Luginbyhl <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA: Telly Savales dead at 70

Joe,  Who could ever forget Telly as "Big Joe" or as the "nut" in the Dirty
Dozen,the tank Sgt. in The Battle of the Bulge?  I put him in the category
of actors like John Wayne or Squint Eastwood.  These actor merely play themselv
es in role after role convincing and entertaining as Barrymore ever was.

How about this as a topic real soldiers that became actors like Sterling
Hayden.    Cheers    ....hakl...

H. A. Kurt Luginbyhl
Scientific Computer Specialist
National Museum of Natural History
Washington D.C. 20560

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 10:50:18 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: "Cross of Iron" (film) accurate to what?

Although I too was impressed with CoI's battlefield accuracy/chore-
  ography, the film betrayed the romantic ideals of the book.

If you remember, Steiner is driven/haunted by the image of the girl
  he loved slipping from his grasp to her death on an alpine trail/
  cliff, and his last living memory -- as our fallen hero is borne
  back from the front by his surviving comrades -- is her vision.

The squalid, cynical sex -- and homosexual sideshow -- Peckinpah
  substituted  was a mockery (and, I am sure, intentionally so).

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 13:08:16 EST
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Rangers

Sid Allinson asked for books about Rangers. In response I want to bring to
everyone's attention the existance of the RANGER ASSOCIATION, which publishes
a regular newsletter and has a broad membership of former Rangers from all
periods including WWII. The address is PO Box 669, Columbus GA 31902-0669.
The historian of the organization is Larry Ivers, Box C, Eagle Grove, IA,
50533. I am sure he would be happy to help answer questions about Rangers
during WWII.
John Sloan
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 13:08:36 EST
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Russian Military Museums

Hope this will be of general interest.  I have had several requests for
information about the tank and aviation museums.
1. Monino - I do not have a catalog of the aircraft and don't know if one is
printed. However, I do have a copy of the Russian language illustrated guide
book to the collections. I wouldbe happy to xerox the chapter on WWII for
anyone. I am in the process of writing up a description of the museum.
Basically, it is housed in 10 inside display halls, two hangers and two huge
outdoor fields. Most of the postwar aircraft are outdoors. There are no
foreign aircraft - just Soviet and Russian. There are about 140 aircraft and
220 models. The archive and library are extensive. OVer 10,000 items on
aviation in the library. The photo archive has over 15,000 negatives. The
film archive has 125 documentary films.
Among the older aircraft are the Ilya Muromets, I-16, MIG-3, La-7, Yak-9,
Il-2, Il-10, Po-2, :Lu-2, Pe-2, Tu-2, Su-2.
The director informed me that in cooperation wit hthe Yakolev design bureau
the museum shops can build on order operational replicas of WWII YAK
aircraft.
The World War II displays are in halls 6,7,and 8.  I have color photos I took
of some aircraft in these halls and am happy to provide copies on request.
Others with me during the visit not only have more color photography but also
video film of the visit.
In anyone wants to write to the museum directly, the address is Director -
Colonel Vladimir N. Tolkov, Museum of Aviation, 141170  pgt Monino, Moscow
Oblast,.  I am sure the director would be interested in receiving letters
from aviation scholars.
2. Tank Museum - Kubinka
I do have both Russian language and English catalogues for this museum
collection. The later was compiled by Steve Zaloga after several visits. The
collection (open part) is housed in seven large sheds with terrible lighting.
Nevertheless I have some color photography that I can share. As with Monino
others have video as well.
The collection is organized by national groups and for Russian vehicles by
light, medium, armored cars etc. So Pavilon 2 for instance on Russian medium
tanks and SP guns houses thirty vehicles from 1940 to 1976.
The museum director has created an elaborate database of information on the
light tanks on computer disk and is trying to peddle this for a high price.
He hopes to finance the development of databases on all the other types of
vehicles. He is a very astute and eager beaver type who welcomes all
opportunities to get his museum of about 300 items onto the world sceen. It
is located on a former tank proving ground, so that was a problem in the
past. Access is still by appointment, but tourist facilities are being
planned. Write to Major Mikhail Chobitok,  Director Muzei Bronye tankovi
voisk, 143070 Kubinka, 1 Moscovsoi oblast,.
I am currently organizing future trips to visit these and other Russian
military museums and  military historical research organizations.
Hope this was of some interest,
John Sloan
johns426@ AOL.COM

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 15:47:35 EST
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Esq." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: Telly Savales dead at 70

Don't forget Audie Murphy, a great soldier who became an actor.
There were also actors who were served with great distinction
in WWII: Jimmy Stewart, David Niven, Chet Morris (Boston Blackie)
who (I believe) was an air ace; etc.
Jonah Triebwasser - Marist College - Poughkeepsie, New York
[email-masked]
>
> How about this as a topic real soldiers that became actors like Sterling
> Hayden.    Cheers    ....hakl...
>
> H. A. Kurt Luginbyhl
> Scientific Computer Specialist
> National Museum of Natural History
> Washington D.C. 20560

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 15:57:25 EST
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Esq." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: Telly Savales dead at 70 (Typo-Free Version!)

Dear List Reader - Please forgive and ignore the prior version.
This one is free of typos! -JT
> Don't forget Audie Murphy, a great soldier who became an actor.
> There were also actors who served with great distinction
> in WWII: Jimmy Stewart, David Niven, Chet Morris (Boston Blackie)
> who (I believe) was an air ace; etc.
> Jonah Triebwasser - Marist College - Poughkeepsie, New York
> [email-masked]
> >
> > How about this as a topic real soldiers that became actors like Sterling
> > Hayden.    Cheers    ....hakl...
> >
> > H. A. Kurt Luginbyhl
> > Scientific Computer Specialist
> > National Museum of Natural History
> > Washington D.C. 20560

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 15:29:44 -0800
From:    Jim Benn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Cross of Iron" (film) accurate to what?

On Wed,  26 Jan 1994 Lou Coatney wrote:

> Although I too was impressed with CoI's battlefield accuracy/chore-
>   ography, 6the film betrayed the romantic ideals of the book.
>
> If you remember, Steiner is driven/haunted by the image of the girl
>   he loved slipping from his grasp to her death on an alpine trail/
>   cliff, and his last living memory -- as our fallen hero is borne
>   back from the front by his surviving comrades -- is her vision.
>
> The squalid, cynical sex -- and homosexual sideshow -- Peckinpah
>   substituted  was a mockery (and, I am sure, intentionally so).
>
>

Sounds like a good ending, but I remember CROSS OF IRON ending with
Steiner and the officer played by Max. Schell having a shoot-out along
the train tracks while the sound of laughing children was heard; never
understood that.  Are you describing the book or the movie?

 *=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*> Jim Benn  [[email-masked]] <*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
 |-=[        Auto-Graphics, Inc.       ]=[      /~~)       /~~)           ]=-|
 |-=[        8 West Main Street        ]=[     (__(_UTO - (__/RAPHICS     ]=-|
 |-=[        Niantic, CT  06357        ]=[              .___/             ]=-|
 *=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*>  PHONE: 800-733-6939 = FAX: 203-691-0183  <*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 27 Jan 1994 02:08:02 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Russian Military Museums

On Wed, 26 Jan 1994, John Sloan wrote:

> Among the older aircraft are the Ilya Muromets, I-16, MIG-3, La-7, Yak-9,
> Il-2, Il-10, Po-2, :Lu-2, Pe-2, Tu-2, Su-2.

Nitpicking: If the article one Monino I've read some time ago was
correct, the MiG-3 is a crude replica. (What might mean that even the USSR
hasn't cared to save on original one -- a shame.)

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 20:11:41 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: "Cross of Iron" (film) accurate to what?

Jim,

     It was the book wherein he died at the ending, the vision
of the girl before his fading (mind's) eye.

Lou

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 25 Jan 1994 to 26 Jan 1994
*************************************************