Subject: WWII-L Digest - 16 Mar 1994 to 17 Mar 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 00:00:36 -0500

There are 42 messages totalling 1065 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. THIS LIST NEEDS A
  2. World at war.......
  3. Desert Storm
  4. Alan Turing, the Enigma, Cryptography (6)
  5. INF: USAAF 17 MAR 44
  6. Addr: ADMIN: WWII-L Closing on March 18 (2)
  7. HELP Sci.military (3)
  8. Black Units in AAF?
  9. ADMIN: The list lives on (5)
 10. ADMIN: SOS received, help on the way!
 11. adieu to the list.
 12. Ike's lesbians
 13. INF: Never trust technology! (3)
 14. continuing this list
 15. GAMES:
 16. hnet & wwii-l (4)
 17. List lives on
 18. movies
 19. ADMIN: Thanks Larry!
 20. INFO: Herbert Schob
 21. VET: Threadworm infections...
 22. INFO2:
 23. .
 24. Lucky H-NET didn't get it.
 25. Re[2]: World at war.......

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 16 Mar 1994 21:22:51 LCL
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: THIS LIST NEEDS A

If anybody - Joe, you ? _ gets a WWII list going, don't leave without me! Can't
believe this one is over, especially now. It's been not only engrossing and
beyond educational, but a model other lists should hope to emulate. Cheers to
all who have been part!

  -- Jim Brady

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:"That's no freighter..." -- Jurgen ProchnauGDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 08:33:08 CET
From:    "LTC Donnell, Doug" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: World at war.......

There was a book written by Mark Arnold-Forster based on the TV series.
Good reading. . .

I, too, am sad to see the list go.  Despite my short time as a subscriber
I've found the exchange of info to be interesting and informative.  My
hat's off to Larry and Kim for keeping it running.

         Tschuss from Ruppertsweiler, Germany
                      Doug Donnell

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 17:53:05 SST
From:    LEE YU JIN <[email-masked]>
Subject: Desert Storm

I hate to ask this here. Is there a list on Desert Storm?

Lee Yu Jin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 06:05:52 -0500
From:    "Stephen A. Wildfeuer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Alan Turing, the Enigma, Cryptography

A colleague of mine is doing a paper on the Enigma and its mathematical
implications.  I would appreciate it if anyone on this list who knows of
information on these topics (especially anything I can access on the
"net") could let me know.  Thanks in advance for your help.  Any sources
of information would be greatly appreciated.

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 07:30:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USAAF 17 MAR 44

HAPPY SAINT PADRAIG'S DAY!!!!!!

NOW, LETS SEE IF ANYONE GETS THIS, I.E., IS THE LIST STILL UP AND WORKING???

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 17 MARCH 1944 - ST PATRICK'S DAY
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-7, Consolidated Liberator
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 3 B-24s fly armed reconnaissance over
Onnekotan Island, Kurile Islands, before dawn releasing bombs through the
overcast.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 24 B-24s and 12 P-38s attack
supply dumps in the Kalewa area in the Chin Hills region; 30+ B-25s, P-51s
and A-36s damage Shweli and Mogaung bridges and hit positions and supply
dumps in the Kamaing area; 37 P-40s blast the Myitkyina Airfield; numerous
other aircraft fly miscellaneous sorties over the Sumprabum area; and 2
B-25s cause fires among oil installations at Chauk.
  24th Photographic Squadron (Heavy), Tenth Air Force, based at Guskhara,
India with F-7s, sends a detachment to operate from Hsinching, China.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In French Indochina, 5 B-25s bomb and strafe
boatyards at Vinh and hit lumber stores and sawmills at nearby Ben Thuy.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 263: 135 P-47s are
dispatched on low level strafing attacks against airfields in France; 25
attack Soesterburg Airfield, The Netherlands and 25 attack Chartres, France;
they claim 3-2-8 Luftwaffe aircraft on the ground, 2 P-47s are lost, the
pilots are MIA.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 70 B-26s bomb the marshalling yard
at Criel-sur-Mer, France.
  HQ 441st Troop Carrier Group and 99th, 100th, 301st and 302d Troop Carrier
Squadrons, arrive at Langar, England from the US with C-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 200+ B-24s bomb Vienna, Austria
and various targets of opportunity escorted by P-47s and P-38s; 100+ B-17s
abort because of bad weather.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, B-25s bomb Montepescali
marshalling yard, Cecina, Roccasecca and Castrocielo, while A-20s hit troop
concentrations in the Cassino area; and fighter-bombers hit guns in the
Cassino area and attack a nearby railroad bridge and underpass with good
results.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-24s and B-25s from Tarawa
Atoll bomb, respectively, Ponape Island and Jaluit Atoll Atoll.
  392d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 30th Bombardment Group (Heavy), moves
from Abemama Island to Kwajalein Atoll with B-24s.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): On New Britain Island, 31
fighter-bombers and 31 B-25s pound supply areas at Wunapope and at Ralum. On
Bougainville Island, a few fighter-bombers hit a Japanese bivouac area on
Matchin Bay. 20+ B-24s pound the airstrip at Namatanai, New Ireland Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea, almost 100
B-24s, B-25s and A-20s attack the Wewak area; P-38s hit the Hansa Bay area
while other B-25s bomb the Madang-Alexishafen area. Soerabaja, Java naval
base is bombed by B-24s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 08:03:55 EST
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Addr: ADMIN: WWII-L Closing on March 18

'Good group - shame to see it go.

God Speed, -Al

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Wild, LAN Mgr.  Father of 1.5             Voice:          (401) 792-2611
ACC - Lippitt - URI  American Legion Post 102. FAX:            (401) 792-5479
Kingston, RI  02881                            Bitnet:           AWild@URIACC
                                               Internet: [email-masked]

Murphy's Uncertainty Principle:    You can know something has gone wrong only
                                    when you make an odd number of mistakes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 16 Mar 1994 12:04:42 -0600
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Addr: ADMIN: WWII-L Closing on March 18

> As Jim Gerland's post mentioned, WWII-L can be kept alive if someone wants
> to take it over. Contact Jim for more details.

Clearly one of those messages stuck in the ether.  :-(

Is there an email address for Jim?  (Preferrably one that does NOT go
through BITNET?  :-)

As much as I want to see the list remain alive (and Larry's involvement
continue in whatever fashion he can manage), I don't want to see anyone
rush into it with the thought of a March 18th deadline.  The important
thing, if the list is to remain alive and viable, that someone have the
ability to maintain all that goes with it, provide the time required, etc.
If this takes time beyond March 18, so be it.  Better to be down for a while
vs. a quick fix.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                             [email-masked]
University of Minnesota, School of Statistics
         "I'm my father?  I'm my mother?  I'm chipped beef on toast?"

--
Robert J. Granvin                                             [email-masked]
University of Minnesota, School of Statistics
         "I'm my father?  I'm my mother?  I'm chipped beef on toast?"

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 08:12:30 EST
From:    Mike Long <[email-masked]>
Subject: HELP Sci.military

Can someone please help Scott out. I don't have the requested information
any longer. One alternative related list is [email-masked]
(or UKANVM.CC.UKANS.EDU).
Thanks,
Mike
======================================================================== 28
     Could you please send me some information about the SCI.MILITARY list
     or at least guide towards an information source? I have seen it
     mentioned a few times during my 2 week WWII-L experience and am
     interested in checking it out. I'd appreciate any help you can supply
     me.

     Thanks,

     Scott Jones
     [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 08:12:34 -0600
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Black Units in AAF?

In message <[email-masked]> World War II Discussion List
writes:
> I was told there were all Black units in the AAF flying B-25s in WWII.
>
> Can anyone confirm this with names of units, theaters, etc.  And particularly
> with references I can pursue in my library?
>
> Thanks for the help.

The Tuskegee Airmen, aka the 332nd Fighter Group, also trained a B-25
Squadron but never saw combat.  (Part of their expansion was into the
medium bombers, but they started training as the war neared an end.  By
the time they were ready, the war was over).

The group formed as the 477ths Bombardment Group.  It and the 332nd Fighter
Wing developed into the 477th Composite Group.

The 332nd primarily flew Mustangs and saw combat in the Mediterranean
Theater.  They flew in the 15th Air Force and provided support for the
12th Air Force.  They saw action in North Africa, Corsica, Cicely, Italy
and Europe.  Their raids went all the way to Berlin and received multiple
Distinguished Unit Citations.  The Group also never lost a single bomber
to enemy fighters when they provided escort and shot down three Me-262s in
one day in a particular mission.

References?  Boy, do I have references.  :-)  I have the roster of the
current Tuskegee Airmen International.  :-)  However, any book that shows
a reference to "Tuskegee Airmen" will be a reasonably good reference.  A
good short reference is titled Lonely Eagles by Robert A Rose, DDS.  There
are a couple of others books as well, one I believe called "Black Wings."

(BTW: We carry Lonely Eagles in our PX if it can't be found in the library.
It's only 160 pages and a quick read, but we charge $20/copy... The price is
high because it's a small press and the book directly funds the Tuskegee
Airmen's scholarship fund).

--
Robert J. Granvin                                             [email-masked]
University of Minnesota, School of Statistics
         "I'm my father?  I'm my mother?  I'm chipped beef on toast?"

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 09:25:30 -0500
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: The list lives on

        I realize that there are inherent time delays in messages but I am
still seeing messages to the effect that people are sorry that WWII-L is dead;
it's been fun; etc., etc., etc.  I just want to say that reports of its demise
are premature.  There will be a transition of list-ownership tomorrow, 3/18,
so hopefully there won't be any disruption of activity.  So the list is alive
but it may suffer some colic for the next few days!  I ask for everyone's
patience if that should be the case.

        When I first read that Larry had to step down, I posted an offer to
start an alternate list.  That list is not necessary since this list is still
viable.  I thank all those who did take me up on my offer but I must now
retract it.  Sorry about that, but I suspect I'm going to be rather busy with
this list!

        I've just finished reading up on how to be a list-owner so I guess I'll
as ready as I can be.  Larry has offered to help me if I should stick my foot
in it! I have also received numerous offers of assistance from many members of
the list including many "lurkers".  I thank everyone for their support.  As
that great philospher, Oddball, once said: "With all these positive waves,
maybe we can't lose!"

        So, bear with me during the transition period that starts tomorrow.
Thanks.
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
But my name is *Babara*!

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 06:43:57 -0800
From:    "Office TH325, Extension 3566" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Alan Turing, the Enigma, Cryptography

Stephen,

>
>A colleague of mine is doing a paper on the Enigma and its mathematical
>implications.  I would appreciate it if anyone on this list who knows of
>information on these topics (especially anything I can access on the
>"net") could let me know.  Thanks in advance for your help.  Any sources
>of information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>[email-masked]

I'm not sure what's on the net, but here is some information about books
and articles.  The short answer is to get anything by David Kahn.

1.  The Codebreakers, by David Kahn.  Excellent history on Cryptograhy.

2.  Seizing the Enigma -- The race to break the German u-boat codes,
    1939 - 1943, by David Kahn.  This book was published in 1991 and so
    is very up to date.  Very good  Excellent biography.

3.  How Polish Mathematicians Deciphered the Enigma -- Marian Rejewski,
    Annals of the History of Computing 3 (July 1981) 213 - 34

4.  Lots of stuff published in the journal Cryptologia published at Rose
    Hulman Institute in Terra Haute Indiana.

5.  Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges.  It's been a while since I
    read this one, but it is more about the man than the technical
    aspects of his work.  Much of the emphasis is on Turing's
    homosexuality.  This book was the basis of the play called Turing.

This whole area is fascinating and there is a lot out there.  The place
to start is with the Codebreakers, but if time does not allow that, you
could read the second one and get some ideas from the bibliography.

Tuing was an interesting fellow.  The mathemtician Peter Hilton worked
with him and I've heard him tell many funny Turing stories.  His ending
was tragic enough, committing suicide, most likely because his
homosexuality (which was a crime in England at that time) was uncovered.
Although it was common knowledge before, it was winked at
because of the importance of his work.

John Riegsecker
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 09:41:01 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: The list lives on

Hello, Joe!

Thank you for stepping in to take Larry's place. What a tough act to
follow! You will do well, I am sure. If there is anything I can do to
help, please let me know.

All the best, and the best of luck!

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 09:53:04 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: SOS received, help on the way!

Hello, Larry!

Great! Please stay with us, if you can. Yours will always be a tough
act to follow.

All the best.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:10:43 EST
From:    Richard Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Subject: adieu to the list.

I too want to express my regret at seeing the list close, and to congradulate
and compliment Larry for his premier stewardship.  Having been with the list
since it opened I have been impressed with the level of scholarship usually
displayed, as well as the answers to the fun and even mundane questions.

I inquired with our Automation mavens, and they tell me that we don't have the
buffer space to accomodate a list.  Might be BS, might not; I don't know.

As a postscrpt, what we have seen happen to this list in the past month, is
indicative of what we can expect as Internet access becomes a prerequisite of
academic (including secondary schools), corporate and governmental lives.  For
two years it was fun being unique, and the next list will adjust accordingly.

Good luck and a quick recovery to Larry, to everyone else...Keep em' Flying.

                                        Richard Kaplan
                                        Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
                                        [email-masked]

sign at Tel Nof IDF Parachute School:
        Once a paratrooper, always a paratrooper.

Sign at Ramat David Air Force Base (formerly RAF)
        The only thing that can replace a Dakota (C-47)...
        is another Dakota.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 17:17:10 CET
From:    "LTC Donnell, Doug" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Alan Turing, the Enigma, Cryptography

Hi Stephen,
Many years back I read a book on cryptography -- by far the best I've
seen to date -- call "The Codebreakers" by (I think) Kahn.  While it
deals with far more than Enigma alone it would be a good starting place
for studying the topic.  Good luck to your colleague.

                        Doug Donnell
                        Ruppertsweiler, Germany

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:48:13 -0500
From:    William Eldridge <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ike's lesbians

I just ran across this interesting bit in a back issue of the Providence
(RI) Phoenix (2/25/94):

The following is an anecdote which originally appeared in Newsweek and was
reprinted in Peter McWilliams' *Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do: The
Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in a Free Society* (Prelude Press, 1993).
It concerns General Dwight D. Eisenhower who, while serving in occupied
Germany soon after World War II, received information that there were a
significant number of lesbians in his Women's Army Corps command:
    "He called in Sgt. Johnnie Phelps and ordered her to get a list of all
the lesbians in the battalion. 'We've got to get rid of them,' he barked.
Phelps said she'd check into it. 'But,' she told the general, 'when you
get the list back, my name's going to be first.' Eisenhower's secretary
then interrupted. 'Sir, if the general pleases, Sergeant Phelps will have
to be second on the list, because mine will be first.' Dumfounded, Ike
realized he'd lose many of his key personnel if he persisted. 'Forget that
order,' he told Phelps."

-- Bill Eldridge
---------------------------
P.S. Hooray to Joe Barone for taking over the list. Way to go, Joe! And
thanks, Larry Jewell, for all of your fine work as listowner.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:52:43 -0400
From:    "Steven C. Salina" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: The list lives on

Just my $.02 worth on the list changing hands.  First to Larry...Thanx for all
you have done for this list.  I have been on for a while now, and have gained
valuable information both from you and from others.  This list should be a
model for other lists to follow, and a lot of that credit goes to you.  I wish
you all the best in the future and hope you hear from you on the list from
time to time.  All the best to Kim, also.  And to Joe...thanx for offering to
take the list over.  When I first heard that the list was to be terminated I
felt like I was going to be losing a very close friend.  I don't post many
messages, and when I do they are usually questions that get answered almost
immediatley and quite thoroughly, but I have learned much by just lurking and
reading, and I feel like I really know a lot of the people that post on a
regular basis.  I'm very happy to hear that the list will live on, and I'm
thankful to you for offering to take it over.  I'm sure you will do a fine job,
and I know that the people on this list will do whatever it takes to make the
transition a smooth one.  Anyway...that's about all from this end.  Long live
WWII-L!

Steve Salina
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 12:26:57 EST
From:    Kim Patterson-Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Never trust technology!

My home machine (mace) is down for an indefinate period. I should be on-
line by this pm. Until then, thanks to Joe for taking over the list.

I'm be back after a short struggle with the SS-Totenkopfverbande (I
*hate* oral reports.)

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 12:09:19 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: continuing this list

Best count me out.  I'd like to, but I'm too busy looking
  for another -- a final, hopefully -- lily pad to jump to.

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 15:53:55 BRA
From:    "Silvio E. G. Melo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GAMES:

     Lou
     Thanks for information, but in Brasil is very dificulty the access of
this games. You can send me more information about this games?
     Thanks in advance.
     Silvio E. G. Melo

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 12:56:07 CST
From:    "H-Net (Richard Jensen)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: hnet & wwii-l

I don't know why Mr Coatney is flaming away at H-NET.
H-Net does not now, and never has had any responsibility
whatever for wwii-L.
--What did happen is that the list's owner said he was
quitting and that would H-Net be interested in taking it
over.  We politely said "no thanks."  H-Net runs two-dozen
moderated lists and has never operated a non-moderated list.
..we have been discussing the possibility of starting a new
list for scholars in military history.
If the subscribers to wwii-L want to continue this list,
than you should do something about it. Please don't blame
H-NET for your troubles.
Richard Jensen
for H-NET

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:15:08 PST
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: The list lives on

Congratulations, Joe...
My thanks and admiration for you taking on the Moderator role.
Bravery beyond the call of duty...   :-)
Regards.
Anything I can do, by the way...

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 14:12:06 -0500
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: List lives on

It's great that the list is going to continue; but one thing occurs to me. I
wonder how many people unsubscribed from the list before the word came out
that the list would continue. This almost happened to me. I sent the signoff
message; but just happened to receive the message about the list continuing
before my signoff became official. I subsequently resubscribed. If any of the
more active members are absent someone might want to send them a message to
come back aboard if they have their addresses.
PS - I'm reading a very good book about the Andrews sisters and the USO
shows during the war; thus my new sig.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis              | He's the boogie-woogie |      [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.              | bugle boy of Company B.|                [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:25:51 PST
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Alan Turing, the Enigma, Cryptography

Advise your friend to read an excellent new book, just out:
        "CODEBREAKERS: The Inside Story Of Bletchley Park",
        Edited by F.H. Hinsley and Alan Stripp,
        Oxford Univerity Press. 1993.
About Turing. Brilliant when a young man.  His mathedmatical
grasp of the "1-2" binary code put him far ahead of anyone
in computer theory.
His personal life was something else.  One can shrug at his
homosexuality with adults, but his activities against small
boys at movie matinees.... Unpleasant side to genius.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 13:10:01 -0600
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: movies

> THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES it is called.  Regularly shows up on the
> American Movie Classics channel.  Winner of several Academy Awards.
> The most heartbreaking scene is when Dana Andrews is wandering among
> the de-militarized aircraft stacked on their noses...and climbs
> in an old B-17 right before the wreckers get to her.  Wonder if
> those people ever knew that these aircraft would be near priceless
> in a few decades?
>
> A great movie, by any standards.

That scene can bring tears to any aircraft restorer... Plus, the scene
when they are landing at the airport and fly over the B-17 graveyard.
Immense.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:36:10 PST
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Alan Turing, the Enigma, Cryptography

Perhaps I should add....
The new book I recomended, 'CODEBREAKERS', by Hinchley & Stripp, should
*not* be confused with David Kahn's book with the same title (an excellent
one on cryptography, by the way).

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 20:35:45 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: hnet & wwii-l

On Thu, 17 Mar 1994, H-Net (Richard Jensen) wrote:

> I don't know why Mr Coatney is flaming away at H-NET.
> H-Net does not now, and never has had any responsibility
> whatever for wwii-L.
> --What did happen is that the list's owner said he was
> quitting and that would H-Net be interested in taking it
> over.  We politely said "no thanks."  H-Net runs two-dozen
> moderated lists and has never operated a non-moderated list.
> ..we have been discussing the possibility of starting a new
> list for scholars in military history.
> If the subscribers to wwii-L want to continue this list,
> than you should do something about it. Please don't blame
> H-NET for your troubles.

I'd say we should be very happy that H-NET refused to take the
list over. And very grateful to Joe Barone for doing so...

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 20:52:19 GMT
From:    Stephen Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: hnet & wwii-l

>       I'd say we should be very happy that H-NET refused to take the
>       list over....

Err moderation and goodwill please Ladies and Gentlemen.
It would be sad if this period is marked with division and argument.

smb

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 16:29:51 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HELP Sci.military

The Sci.Miltary FAQ (frequently asked questions) file is stored at byrd.

Anyone who doesn't have gopher, WWW, or FTP (or doesn't know WHAT THE HECK
I'm talking about) can send me private mail and I'll send a copy. (It's
fairly long, so tell me if you have a weak mailer.)

Larry J

[email-masked]; Co-Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU (Historical docs)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 21:53:18 +0000
From:    Gudmundur Helgason <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: Thanks Larry!

Hey Larry and others

        I waited posting this until I knew for SURE how things were
turning out with this terrific list. Now it seems that it will live on
in Barone's hands and I thank him for that. Far to good to die I think.

        Larry, superb job you've done here and I cant say how much this
list means to me (not many to chat wwii to here :) as a whole. I hope I
see you on and off on the list as a guest/member in the future and wish
you all that's best and good health.

Thanks again Larry

Gudmundur J. Helgason

E-mail:    [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 18 Mar 1994 08:13:07 +1000
From:    Derek Monz <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO: Herbert Schob

      I am curently making a 1/32 scale model of the Bf110G. I cam across a
pilot who's aircraft sounded like it would be good to make. His name is
Herbert Schob. He went from enlisted rank to that of Oberleutnant ( by
mar 44). I haven't got much else on him, unfortunately so If anyone has
any info on the man,his plane, his unit (ZG76) or the 110 in defending
Germany in daylight I would like to hear from them.

Thanks in advance,

PS, Dennis Sparks I hope you got my message a few days ago 'cause we had a
crash here on our system.

EMail:  [email-masked]  Msc (Geology)@ JCU 1993
       Disclamer: - I didn't do it!
" If there is anything more important than my Ego.....
                 I want it taken out and shot!"  (Zaphod Beablbrox (HHGTTG)).

                            ((-------))
                                \o/
                                 |
                               _/ \_

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 16:30:19 -0600
From:    "WILLIAM L. HUBER - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HELP Sci.military

>
> Anyone who doesn't have gopher, WWW, or FTP (or doesn't know WHAT THE HECK
> I'm talking about) can send me private mail and I'll send a copy. (It's
> fairly long, so tell me if you have a weak mailer.)

Hi Larry,

Well, since you mention it, I'd like to know were I can get
executables that permit the viewing of GIFs.  I know BYRD has a file
of them but I have no way of viewing them.  I have FTP access and am
pretty handy with it so that part is not a problem.

Thanks, Bill

PS I'm glad that Joe is gonna carry on the fine tradition you have
established here.  I was on the verge of punching out when I saw Lou
talking about giving it a whirl.  That would have been the coup de
grace for sure.  This is the same kind of crap he pulled that got him
run out of VWAR-L.  Lydia could fill you in with her dealings with
Lou-Lou.

Best Regards, Bill

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 17:31:43 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: VET: Threadworm infections...

Reposted from soc.veterans:

Veterans who served in southeast Asia during WWII and the Vietnam war may be
infected with threadworms (Strongyloides stercoralis).  This infection can
become hyperinfective and fatal.  The following citation and abstract contain
relevant treatment information.

"Albendazole is effective treatment for chronic strongyloidiasis."
By: Archibald LK  Beeching NJ  Gill GV  Bailey JW  Bell DR
In: Q J Med (1993 Mar) 86(3):191-5

A total of 301 British ex-Far East prisoners of war, many of whom worked on the
Thai-Burma Railway during World War II, consecutively attended The Liverpool
School of Tropical Medicine for clinical review between January 1987 and August
1990. Fifty-two (17%) were found to have chronic strongyloidiasis. Diagnostic
criteria included any of the following: characteristic larva currens rash,
positive Strongyloides serology, and positive stool examination. Forty-seven
were evaluable 6 months, after therapy with albendazole 400 mg twice daily for
3 days, which resulted in a 75% cure rate. Cure was defined as disappearance of
the rash, if present, negative serology and negative stool examination.
Patients who had more than one positive diagnostic feature were only considered
cured if both or all had disappeared or become negative. All 12 of the patients
in whom initial treatment failed were given a second course of albendazole:
three further cures were obtained in eight evaluable patients. The overall cure
rate was 81%. The only side-effects recorded were mild nausea and diarrhoea in
one patient. We suggest that albendazole should be the treatment of choice for
chronic strongyloidiasis.

Larry J

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 18 Mar 1994 08:33:07 +1000
From:    Derek Monz <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO2:

Something I forgot in my post before :
do any of the modellers on this list know of weapon conversion packs for
1/32 scale german planes.
Secondly does anyone make 300L or 900L droptanks in the same scale and if
not do plans exist so I can scratchbuild them.

Thanks to anyone who can help, I really appreciate it.

EMail:  [email-masked]  Msc (Geology)@ JCU 1993
       Disclamer: - I didn't do it!
" If there is anything more important than my Ego.....
                 I want it taken out and shot!"  (Zaphod Beablbrox (HHGTTG)).

                            ((-------))
                                \o/
                                 |
                               _/ \_

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 14:47:25 -0500
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Alan Turing, the Enigma, Cryptography

> 5.  Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges.  It's been a while since I
>     read this one, but it is more about the man than the technical
>     aspects of his work.  Much of the emphasis is on Turing's
>     homosexuality.  This book was the basis of the play called Turing.

The play starred Derek Jacoby of "I Claudius" fame.

> This whole area is fascinating and there is a lot out there.  The place
> to start is with the Codebreakers, but if time does not allow that, you
> could read the second one and get some ideas from the bibliography.
>
> Tuing was an interesting fellow.  The mathemtician Peter Hilton worked
> with him and I've heard him tell many funny Turing stories.  His ending
> was tragic enough, committing suicide, most likely because his
> homosexuality (which was a crime in England at that time) was uncovered.
> Although it was common knowledge before, it was winked at
> because of the importance of his work.

According to the National Public Radio stories connected with the debut of
the play, Turing was kind of a strange guy in general.  They noted that he
had rather lax hygene and that (THEIR claim) he was attracted to young boys,
though they didn't say how young.  The truth of either of these claims I
can't comment on.  They were stated as fact in the piece.  The impression given
was of a man so absorbed in his work that the conventions of everyday society
were outside of his notice.  He literally had no idea that he was in trouble
until the world fell on him, and was apparently baffled by the whole thing.

He reminds me of the physics major who lived in the same dorm that I did in
college.  He spent SO much time studying or in the lab, that he lived in the
same dorm for three YEARS without ever realizing that there was a rec. room
in the basement with a TV, pool table, and ping pong table.  He found it
entirely by ACCIDENT, when somebody opened the door while he was getting a
coke.  Apparently the word "physics" wasn't stenciled on the door, and
therefor was for all intents and purposes INVISIBLE to him! :)

Rather than merely his homosexuality having led to his suicide, the
interviewer and the interviewee discussed his PROSECUTION for homosexuality,
which was illegal in Britain.  I believe he was given shock treatments as a
condition of his not being encarcerated.  THAT would appear to be the REAL
reason why he killed himself.  He seems not to have had much concern over
being a homosexual, and to have given that as little thought as he did to
anything else unconnected to his work.  Had he lived somewhere else, he might
yet be alive.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 15:39:35 -0500
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Never trust technology!

>
> My home machine (mace) is down for an indefinate period. I should be on-
> line by this pm. Until then, thanks to Joe for taking over the list.
>
> I'm be back after a short struggle with the SS-Totenkopfverbande (I
> *hate* oral reports.)

Have you read Sydnor's book on Theodor Eiche and the Totenkopf Division?
I think it's called "Soldiers of Destruction".

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 19:13:35 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: hnet & wwii-l

This situation is the result of miscommunication, lag in the e-mails,
and some hastiness.

I, for one, would prefer to see the end of my tour of duty and the
beginning of Joe's be a period of goodwill and understanding, not
acrimony. I would request that if any of you wished to thank me for
my work that you do so by making Joe's job an easy one and not make
him think he's made a mistake in keeping this list alive.

servabo fidem,
Larry J

[email-masked]; Co-Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU (Historical docs)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 19:47:20 EST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: .

Would like to be added to your list.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 19:03:15 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Lucky H-NET didn't get it.

You're RIGHT, Emmanuel.  Thanks, Joe!!  :-)

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 21:19:28 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Never trust technology!

>
> >
> > My home machine (mace) is down for an indefinate period. I should be on-
> > line by this pm. Until then, thanks to Joe for taking over the list.
> >
> > I'm be back after a short struggle with the SS-Totenkopfverbande (I
> > *hate* oral reports.)
>
> Have you read Sydnor's book on Theodor Eiche and the Totenkopf Division?
> I think it's called "Soldiers of Destruction".
>
Nope, not yet, but now that I have all this free time...

I was doing a report on Herbert Ziegler's "Nazi Germany's New Aristocracy",
a study of the social background of the SS-Fuhrerkorps.  Some interesting
ideas.

Larry J

[email-masked]; Co-Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU (Historical docs)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 22:41:01 EST
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Adjunct Instructor,
         Marist Coll" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: World at war.......

>     Does anybody know of a way to get a copy/tapes of the World at War
>     series? I have tried Blockbuster Video and a couple of other little
>     video shops to no avail. Any ideas out there?
>
>     Scott Jones
>     [email-masked]
Scott - If you have $649 (US) to spare, call A&E Home Video at 1-800-
828-6565 and ask for "The World at War" set of 26 tapes (Item#
AAE-30700.) Regards - Jonah

Jonah Triebwasser
Adjunct Instructor
Marist College
Dyson Building (Adult Education)
Poughkeepsie, New York12601
Tel: (914) 575-3331, ext. 7037
E-Mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 17 Mar 1994 23:00:12 EST
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Adjunct Instructor,
         Marist Coll" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: The list lives on

  There will be a transition of list-ownership tomorrow,                3/18,
>so hopefully there won't be any disruption of activity.                 alive
>
>        I've just finished reading up on how to be a list-owner so I guess I'll
>as ready as I can be.  Larry has offered to help me if I should stick my foot
>in it! I have also received numerous offers of assistance from many members of
>the list including many "lurkers".  I thank everyone for their support.  As
>that great philospher, Oddball, once said: "With all these positive waves,
>maybe we can't lose!"
>
>        So, bear with me during the transition period that starts tomorrow.
>Thanks.
>--
>Joe Barone
Joe - Great news! Thanks on behalf of us all. I would offer to help
but being a computer, Internet and Bitnet neophyte, I may be more of
a nuisance than assistance! - Jonah

Jonah Triebwasser
Adjunct Instructor
Marist College
Dyson Building (Adult Education)
Poughkeepsie, New York12601
Tel: (914) 575-3331, ext. 7037
E-Mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 16 Mar 1994 to 17 Mar 1994
*************************************************