Subject: WWII-L Digest - 21 Apr 1994 to 22 Apr 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 00:00:45 -0400

There are 43 messages totalling 2012 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Pearl Harbor (black sailors) (6)
  2. TRV: Uniforms
  3. Sea Lion (the RN part) (2)
  4. INF: USAAF 22-24 APR 44
  5. Molotov Cocktails (4)
  6. Re[2]: Message To the Jeremiah O'Brien
  7. B18 Bomber (2)
  8. Molotov cocktail/Miniseries
  9. ADMIN: WWII-L gateway
 10. Two questions... (7)
 11. Pearl Harbor
 12. MEDIA: TV PROGRAMS RELATED TO D-DAY
 13. Otto Skorzeny (3)
 14. Wanted: Info about book (3)
 15. Usenet Group Access
 16. ITALIAN CELEBRATION
 17. Barbarossa
 18. Hs-117
 19. German Helicopters
 20. Henning von Treschkow
 21. INFO: Military aircraft & vehicles display
 22. Aircraft show addendum
 23. WWII-L Meeting @ Jefferson Barracks

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Apr 1994 23:55:24 +0000
From:    Josh Talbert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pearl Harbor (black sailors)

>2. Black sailors and servicemen at Pearl Harbor.
>
Robert,
I know of one black sailor, who was either on the Utah or California, who was
from Waco, TX.  I am from Waco and that is how I know of him.  He is somewhat a
local hero.  Unfortunately, he did not survive the war and was killed in action
in either '43 or '44.  His name does not come to mind right away.  He was a cook
on his battleship.  When the attack began, he ran up to the deck and started
firing an anti-aircraft gun.  He is credited with something like 2 kills.  This
was his first time that he operated an AA gun.  His family was finally awarded
for his heroism in the early 1980's.  It took the Navy this long to process the
information.  Better late than never?  Hmm....  Sorry I am so vague.  The local
Waco paper has periodically run stories on him, but I never did save any of the
articles  :( .  The last one that I can remember was the 50th anniversary of the
Pearl Harbor attack.  If I run across anything more, I'll post it.

I hope this helps,

Josh Talbert
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 21 Apr 1994 23:57:46 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pearl Harbor (black sailors)

Josh,

     Wasn't he portrayed in "Tora, Tora, Tora"?

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 16:44:57 +1000
From:    Mick Fauchon <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRV: Uniforms

        Warren,

               Don't worry about the reference, I just caught up with the
photograph.
        The two figures you mention are certainly regular Wehrmacht: as
far as I can tell, they look to have a cuff-title, which would make them
either Jg (whatever number at that time) "Freiherr von Richthofen", highly
likely in G"oring's case, or "Grossdeutschland", who were supposed to provide
that sort of honour-guard. I'll look further, but that's my surmise
at the moment.

                                                        Cheers,

                                                        Mick.

--                                                                          --
Mick Fauchon                          | Internet: [email-masked]
Reference Section, Auchmuty Library   | Ph  (intl+61+49) 215861
University of Newcastle, AUSTRALIA    | Fax (intl+61+49) 215833

On Wed, 20 Apr 1994, Mick Fauchon wrote:

>         Warren,
>
>                 Highly likely to be LSAH (Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler).
>
>                                                         Cheers,
>
>                                                         Mick.
>
> --                                                                          --
> Mick Fauchon                          | Internet: [email-masked]
> Reference Section, Auchmuty Library   | Ph  (intl+61+49) 215861
> University of Newcastle, AUSTRALIA    | Fax (intl+61+49) 215833
>
> On Mon, 18 Apr 1994, Warren Thompson wrote:
>
> > In the book by Airey Neave, NUREMBERG, the photograph facing p.240 shows
> > Goering's wedding party. There are two helmeted figures presenting arms.
> > They appear to be wearing army uniforms, yet they each have armbands (possibly
> > with swastikas, not normally worn by the military).
> >
> > Can anyone identify these figures?
> >
> > -- Warren Thompson
> > LEABANON VALLEY COLLEGE
> > Annville PA 17003
> >
>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 10:05:00 CET
From:    Peter de Lange <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Sea Lion (the RN part)

Terry wrote,
>     That certainly would have been part of it. The argument has been
> just how successful the Germans would have been at eliminating the RN
> as a factor in bringing about that success. The only problem with the
> airborne assault to capture airfields, which would certainly have
>

I don't think so,
the German problem was their Luftwaffe transportfleet was destroyed
on May 10 in Holland together with their paratroops, so they had
nothing to make an landing on the airfields.
The RN was not an big problem.
If the Germans crossed the channel to bring in their panzer divisions,
they had plenty of time to make a two wave attack.
It should take the RN 24 hours to reach Dover, so the Kriegmarine
should have all the time.
The RN could destroy a German fleet in front of Dover, but the Germans
did not need their fleet over there and the RN could not stay there
for a long time.
The Germans proof twice that this was possible, in Norway and Crete.
( Didn't show the Germans a beautifull cooperation of Army Navy and
Airforce in Norway??)
The Germans should not use their submarines against the RN, but their
Schnellbooten(Fast ships),very fast(50+ mph ??) very small(10-15 m)
with machine gun and torpedotubes.

>     My contention has been that, if the Germans had been determined
> and had formulated a plan that would have worked, backed by
> determination, and if that plan had been executed immediately after
> Dunkirk, in which the BEF would never have been allowed to escape, I

again I don't agree,
Hitler was sure by his intuition that England should asked for peace
if he showed how nice he was to let go home the BEF.
We have to thank Churchill that England was going on, I am afraid
that a lot of people in England want a peace.

> don't think the English could have withstood an invasion. As it was,

with this I agree, England had only Churchill to stop an invasion.
The RN was to far away, the RAF would have big problems, the roles
should be changed, the Me109 close to the battlefield, the Spitfire
had loose its airfields in SW England and had to come from far
and the Army was Daddy.

This were my Fl 0,02 contribution.
Peter de Lange

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 07:13:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USAAF 22-24 APR 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
22-24 APR 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-7, Consolidated Liberator
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Vengeance, Vultee

SATURDAY, 22 APRIL 1944

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): A weather sortie is aborted soon after take
off due to weather.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 12 B-25s hit Kamaing while 5 B-25s
and 6 P-51s attack ammunition and other supplies at Hopin; 3 B-25s and 4
P-51s hit a village NE of Bhamo while 7 P-51s attack Gokteik Viaduct.
  Detachment of 24th Combat Mapping Squadron, Tenth Air Force, operating from
Jorhat, India with F-7s returns to base at Guskhara.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In French Indochina, 6 B-24s claim 4
freighters and a gunboat sunk near Cap-Saint-Jacques and 1 other knocks out a
bridge SW of Vinh. P-40s on armed reconnaissance over N Burma destroy 10
boxcars and a truck N of Lashio.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 311: 803 bombers and 859
fighters are dispatched to hit a marshalling yard at Hamm, Germany; the
bombers claim 20-6-8 Luftwaffe aircraft and the fighters claim 40-2-16; 15
bombers and 13 fighters are lost:
  1. 459 of 526 B-17s bomb the primary, 20 hit Bonn, 19 hit Soest, 15 hit
Hamm City and 1 hits a target of opportunity; 8 B-17s are lost, 1 is damaged
beyond repair and 138 are damaged; casualties are 7 WIA and 89 MIA.
  2. 179 of 277 B-24s hit the primary, 50 hit Koblenz and 36 hit targets of
opportunity; 7 B-24s are lost, 14 damaged beyond repair and 59 damaged;
casualties are 46 KIA, 28 WIA and 64 MIA.
  Escort is 132 P-38s, 485 Eighth and Ninth Air Force P-47s and 242 Eighth
and Ninth Air Force P-51s; 2 P-38s, 5 P-47s and 6 P-51s are lost, 1 P-38 is
damaged beyond repair and 22 aircraft are damaged; casualties are 1 WIA and
12 MIA.
  Mission 312: 5 of 5 B-17s drop 1.44 million leaflets on Orleans, Tours,
Paris, Nantes, Lille, Reims, Chartres and Rouen, France at 2251-2344 hours
without loss.
  Units arriving in England from the US: HQ 398th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
and 600th, 601st, 602d and 603d Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy) at Nuthampstead
with B-17s (first mission is 6 May); 844th, 845th, 846th and 847th
Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 489th Bombardment Group (Heavy), at Halesworth
with B-24s (first mission is 30 May).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 400+ B-26s and about 90 A-20s fly
two missions against V-weapon sites in the area of Saint-Omer and Hesdin,
France. Nearly 275 P-47s and P-51s dive-bomb marshalling yards in Belgium.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): HQ 483d Bombardment Group
(Heavy) moves from Tortorella to Sterparone Airfield, Italy.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, B-25s bomb a bridge and
tracks S of Ficulle and a bridge N of the town; other B-25s and B-26s attack
San Stefano al Mare harbor, the N section of Orvieto, Chiusi railroad bridge,
viaducts S and W of Arezzo and Bucine, Certaldo railroad bridge, bridge
approaches at Incisa in Valdarno, a bridge near Siena and viaduct at
Poggibonsi; A-20s hit Valmontone ammunition dump and Sonnino; P-47s hit a
railroad, trains, and tunnels in the Florence area and W of Chiusi,
marshalling yard at Siena, a vessel S of Savona, railroad lines S of Orte and
the town of Gaeta; and P-40s attack gun positions N of the Anzio beachhead
and bomb the Ferentino dump area and towns of Fondi, Terracina and Formia.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): During the night of 21/22 Apr,
B-24s from Kwajalein Atoll bomb Wotje Atoll; other B-24s from Kwajalein
follow with another raid on Wotje during the day. B-25s from Tarawa Atoll,
using Majuro Atoll as a shuttle base for rearming, bomb Jaluit, Maloelap and
Mille Atolls.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): On New Britain Island,
about 40 B-25s bomb supply areas at Ratawul and Talili Bay, pound Keravat and
hit the area between Rapopo and Cape Gazelle; and 40+ fighter-bombers attack
the runway and gun positions at Rapopo while 9 strike Lakunai airfield.
During the night of 22/23 Apr, 17 B-24s bomb Dublon, Param, and Eten Islands
in Truk Atoll.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): 20+ B-24s bomb airstrips on
Noemfoor Island. In New Guinea, 8O+ B-24s and A-20s hit Boram and But
Airfields and other targets in the Wewak area; 100+ B-24s and B-25s pound
targets along Hansa Bay; and all through the day B-25s and fighter-bombers,
in flights of 1 to 20+ aircraft, attack areas around Hansa Bay, Wewak, Bogia,
Madang, and many other points along the N and E coast of New Guinea; many of
the strikes indirectly support Allied amphibious landings on the N coast to
the E and W of Hollandia, toward which a pincer movement is begun.
  HQ 375th Troop Carrier Group moves from Port Moresby to Nadzab, New Guinea.

SUNDAY, 23 APRIL 1944

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 3 B-24s fly weather and photographic
reconnaissance within 100 mi (160 km) of the Kurile Islands and photograph
Matsuwa Island.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 24 P-51s, 8 B-25s and 51 Royal Air
Force (RAF) Vengeances attack Thetkegyin, Manipur bridge, Tiddim road and
Japanese positions at Indaw. 12 P-38s hit Kangaung Airfield near Meiktila;
and 21 B-24s bomb railroads and jetties at Moulmein and Martaban.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 14 P-40s pound an artillery post at
Sienning and cavalry forces at Kuan-Fou-Chiao; 2 P-40s strafe barracks S of
Tengchung and 2 P-38s hit a truck convoy and barracks S of Chiengmai. 4 P-40s
blast a motor pool at Lashio, Burma.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Twentieth Air Force): HQ 58th Bombardment Wing (Very
Heavy) moves from Chakulia to Kharagpur, India.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 313: 382 fighters attack
airfields and other targets in N France, Belgium and NW Germany; results are
generally good:
  1. 136 P-38s attack Laon, Tours and Chateaudun Airfields, France using
Droopsnoot aircraft; they claim 1-0-1 Luftwaffe aircraft on the ground; 2
P-38s are lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 2 damaged; 2 pilots are MIA.
  2. 166 P-47s attack Leningen, Le Culot and Chievres Airfields, Belgium and
Denain/Prouvy and Hagenau Airfields, France; they claim 7-0-22 Luftwaffe
aircraft on the ground; 5 P-47s are lost and 19 damaged; 5 pilots are MIA.
  3. 80 P-51s hit unknown targets; they claim 3-0-1 Luftwaffe aircraft on the
ground; 2 are damaged; no losses.
  Mission 314: 5 of 5 B-17s drop 1.78 million leaflets on Rennes, Brest,
Lorient, St Nazaire and Nantes, France at 2354-0012 hours without loss.
  9 B-24s are dispatched on CARPETBAGGER operations.
  4th, 7th, 18th and 391st Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 34th Bombardment
Group (Heavy), arrive at Mendelsham, England from the US with B-24s (first
mission is 23 May).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 307 B-26s and 57 A-20s attack NOBALL
(V-weapon) targets, gun positions and marshalling yards in the Pas de Calais,
France area and in an adjacent area of Belgium. Around 1,000 P-47s and P-51s
dive-bomb numerous targets throughout France and the Low Countries.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Weather clears and bombers can
resume operations. 500+ B-17s and B-24s attack aircraft factories and
airfields in Austria; the B-17s hit the Wiener Neustadt industrial area; the
B-24s hit industrial areas at Schwechat and Bad Voslau and an air depot at
Wiener-Neustadt; close to 300 fighters provide support; many enemy fighters
attack fiercely, downing 12 bombers and 1 fighter; the bombers and escorts
claim 40+ air victories.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, B-25s hit bridges and
approaches at Attigliano; B-26s attack Incisa in Valdarno viaduct and bridge,
Cecina marshalling yard and attack, but fail to hit, Poggibonsi viaduct;
P-47s, A-36s, and P-40s hit rail lines and bridges NE of Rome and along the E
coast in several areas including points around Orvieto, Orte, Tivoli and
Capronica.
  HQ 321st Bombardment Group (Medium) and 445th and 448th Bombardment
Squadrons (Medium) move from Gaudo Airfield, Italy to Solenzara, Corsica with
B-25s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-24s based at Kwajalein Atoll
hit Truk and Wotje Atolls. Makin Island-based B-25s hit Ponape Island and
Jaluit and Maloelap Atolls.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): Weather again curtails
strikes, but several fighter-bombers hit Tobera, New Britain Island and 20+
B-25s blast Matupi Island.
  72d Fighter Squadron, 318th Fighter Group, moves from Makin Island to
Haleiwa Field, Hawaii with P-39Qs.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): B-24s continue to hit
airstrips on Noemfoor Island; they claim 14 air victories. In New Guinea, 90+
B-24s bomb Wewak, Boram, and But Airfields, a road near Boram, and track and
villages S of Dagua while 80+ B-24s, B-25s, and A-20s pound AA positions,
airfields, stores and troop concentrations along Hansa Bay; throughout the
day A-20s, P-47s, P-38s, and P-39s pound various targets along Hansa Bay, in
the Wewak area, and in the vicinity of Uligan Harbor and Cape Croisilles. 20+
B-24s of the Thirteenth Air Task Force bomb airfield and supply areas on
Woleai Atoll. In ground action Allied forces take Hollandia, Tumleo and Selo
Islands, and objectives around Tadji.
  39th Troop Carrier Squadron, 317th Troop Carrier Group, moves from Port
Moresby to Finschhafen, New Guinea with C-47s.

MONDAY, 24 APRIL 1944

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): In the Kurile Islands, a B-24 flies a photo
and bombing run over Matsuwa Island; later another B-24 flies weather and
bombing runs over Shasukotan, Yekaruma, Kharimkotan, and Onnekotan Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 8 P-38s pound positions near
Buthidaung and in the Myohaung are; 100+ P-40s, P-51s, A-36s, and B-25s bomb
storage areas at Kamaing, Mogaung and Hopin, and railroads and other targets
at Myitkyina, Manywet and Chaungwa; 25 B-25s and P-51s hit Indaw and several
other B-25s bomb Pyingaing.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In Thailand, B-25s damage bridges near Dara
and Kengluang and strafe a factory at Dhasan. P-40s on a diversionary strike
strafe numerous targets of opportunity at Kengtung, Burma. B-25s on a sea
sweep hit 2 small steamers off Cape Bastion, China with cannon fire, claiming
1 vessel sunk and the other left burning.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Twentieth Air Force): A B-29 piloted by Brigadier
General LaVern G Saunders, Commanding General 58th Bombardment Wing (Very
Heavy), arrives at Kwanghan, China. Accompanying the B-29 is another carrying
Major General Kenneth B Wolfe, Commanding General XX Bomber Command. These
are the first B-29s to fly over the Hump to China.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 315: 754 bombers and 867
fighters are dispatched to bomb airfields, aircraft production industries and
targets of opportunity in Germany; the bomber claim 20-1-36 Luftwaffe
aircraft and the fighters claim 124-6-58 fighters; 40 bombers and 17 fighters
are lost; details are:
  1. Of 281 B-17s dispatched, 109 hit Erding Air Depot, 84 hit aviation
industry targets at Oberpfaffenhofen, 57 hit Lansberg Airfield and 18 hit
targets of opportunity; 27 B-17s are lost and 112 damaged; casualties are 4
KIA, 22 WIA and 260 MIA.
  2. 243 B-17s are dispatched to bomb aviation industry targets at
Friedrichshafen/Lowenthal (98 bomb) and Friedrichshafen/Manzell (58 bomb),
industrial areas at Friedrichshafen/Manzell (58 bomb) and Neckarsulm (15
bomb); 3 also hit targets of opportunity; 9 B-17s are lost and 119 damaged;
casualties are 7 KIA, 4 WIA and 71 MIA.
  3. 230 B-24s are dispatched to bomb airfields; 120 hit Gablingen Airfield,
98 hit Leipheim Airfield and 1 hits a target of opportunity; 4 B-24s are lost
and 26 damaged; casualties are 1 WIA and 40 MIA.
  Escort is provided by 131 P-38s, 490 Eighth and Ninth Air Force P-47s and
246 Eighth and Ninth Air Force P-51s:
  1. P-38s claim 4-1-0 Luftwaffe aircraft; 1 P-38 is damaged beyond repair
and 7 damaged.
  2. P-47s claim 2-1-0 Luftwaffe aircraft in the air and 36-0-16 on the
ground; 5 P-47s are lost and 15 damaged; 5 pilots are MIA.
  3. P-51s claim 64-4-2 Luftwaffe aircraft in the air and 21-0-20 on the
ground; 12 P-51s are lost and 8 damaged; 12 pilots are MIA.
  Mission 316: 5 of 5 B-17s drop 1.12 million leaflets on Amsterdam,
Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht, The Netherlands and Lille and Reims, France
at 2322-2344 hours without loss.
  8 B-24s are dispatched on CARPETBAGGER operations.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 38 B-26s dispatched against targets
in France are recalled because of bad weather. 32 P-47s dive-bomb the
Louvain, Belgium marshalling yard with good results.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 520+ bombers attack targets in
Rumania, Yugoslavia, and Italy; B-17s bomb a marshalling yard at Ploesti,
Rumania, an aircraft factory in Belgrade, Yugoslavia and the Ancona-Rimini
railroad line (this is the first Azon mission by 5 B-17s); the B-24s bomb
marshalling yards at Ploesti and Bucharest, Rumania; 250+ fighters fly
support for the bombers.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers attack
railroad bridges N and S of Orvieto, at Arezzo, at Grosseto and N and S of
Incisa in Valdarno; A-20s hit a dump at Valmontone; P-40s, P-47s and A-36s
hit shipping off Leghorn, Avezzano station, Orvieto and Terni marshalling
yards, Canino landing ground, railroad tracks at numerous points S of Orvieto
and rail lines, truck parks and targets of opportunity N of Rome.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-25s from Engebi Island,
Eniwetok Atoll, bomb Ponape Island while others, based on Makin Island, hit
Jaluit and Wotje Atolls.
  HQ 41st Bombardment Group (Medium) moves from Tarawa Atoll to Makin Island.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): Weather continues to
curtail strikes in the the Bismarck Archipelago. On New Britain Island, 10
P-40s hit runway and revetments at Tobera; fighter sweeps account for several
trucks and barges in the Rabaul-New Ireland Island area.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): B-24s again bomb parked
aircraft and other targets on Noemfoor Island. In New Guinea, 40+ B-24s bomb
airfields in the Wewak area; 140+ B-24s, B-25s, and A-20s hit stores, fuel
dumps and personnel areas along Hansa Bay; throughout the day B-25s and
fighter-bombers hit a variety of targets along the New Guinea coast including
Karkar Island, Uligan Harbor, Cape Croisilles, and the Madang area; Madang
falls to Allied ground forces.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 13:17:51 CET
From:    "LTC Donnell, Doug" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Molotov Cocktails

The following is from "WWII: Strange and Fascinating Facts"

Molotov Cocktail - Name given to a bottle filled with flammable liquid
used to knock out tanks.  attached to the bottle was a wick, which was
lit before the bottle was hurled against a tank.  When the bottle broke,
the wick ignited the liquid, setting the tank on fire.  The name was
first used by the Finns in the Russo-Finnish War of 1940, but Molotov
Cocktails, which were named after the Soviet Foreign Minister, were
actually used for the first time during the Spanish civil War.

Hope this helps,
             Doug Donnell

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 07:01:14 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Molotov Cocktails

Hello, Emery and others!

Here goes with the origin of the term "Molotov Cocktail". This term
was used by the Finns in the Russo-Finnish War of 1940, but Molotov
Cocktails were actually used for the first time during the Spanish
Civil War.

The expression Molotov Breadbasket was the the same idea that the
Finns gave to Soviet bombs. After Russia attacked Finnland on 30 Nov
1940, they bombed Helsinki, a fact that the Finns broadcast to the
world. The Russian Radio called them liars, stating that the bombers
were only dropping bread to the starving masses.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 08:26:38 EDT
From:    Ken Koester <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Sea Lion (the RN part)

On Fri, 22 Apr 1994 10:05:00 CET Peter de Lange said:
>I don't think so,
>the German problem was their Luftwaffe transportfleet was destroyed
>on May 10 in Holland together with their paratroops, so they had
>nothing to make an landing on the airfields.

I believe Student says in =The German Generals Talk= that he could land
2 divisions per week with the transport fleet as it.

>The RN was not an big problem.

? Could you elaborate?  If it sinks your transport fleet, then it is a
big problem, yes?

>If the Germans crossed the channel to bring in their panzer divisions,
>they had plenty of time to make a two wave attack.
>It should take the RN 24 hours to reach Dover, so the Kriegmarine
>should have all the time.

24 hours from Scapa?  Surely much sooner than that.

>The RN could destroy a German fleet in front of Dover, but the Germans
>did not need their fleet over there and the RN could not stay there
>for a long time.

It's the transports they would be destroying, which *would* have to be
there for some time.  If nothing else, how are the invading forces to be
supplied?

>The Germans proof twice that this was possible, in Norway and Crete.
>( Didn't show the Germans a beautifull cooperation of Army Navy and
>Airforce in Norway??)

Not against the full British air/sea forces in either case, and with
crippling losses in the second case.

>The Germans should not use their submarines against the RN, but their
>Schnellbooten(Fast ships),very fast(50+ mph ??) very small(10-15 m)
>with machine gun and torpedotubes.

They still have to run, oh, a ten mile gauntlet of fire to get the fish
off.  I wouldn't fancy my chances in a PT boat against alert destroyers
and cruisers.

>The RN was to far away, the RAF would have big problems, the roles
>should be changed, the Me109 close to the battlefield, the Spitfire
>had loose its airfields in SW England and had to come from far
>and the Army was Daddy.

Well, the MEs wouldn't really be any closer to the battlefield. . . .

ken koester
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 07:49:33 CST
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: Message To the Jeremiah O'Brien

So what you are saying is that she did make the voyage?  How did they
find the crew--the last I heard (July) they were short of funds and crew
members under the age of 65.  They were trying to convince the Navy to
let them bunker at one of their bases on both ends of the voyage.

Glad to hear she is going--she is a beautifully restored ship.  The
unfortunate news out of Suison when I was there last was that they are
scrapping the remaining Victory ships.  Sad day.  TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 14:52:21 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: B18 Bomber

On Thu, 21 Apr 1994, Michael P LaForge wrote:

> Any info on the B18 bomber would be greatly appreciated. Weapon systems,
> bomb capacities and unit histories of outfits flying b-18s would be
> very useful

I don't find very much --- the B-18 never attracted the attention.

The B-18 was designed to a specification of the USAAC, published in the spring
of 1934.  The new bomber was to replace the Martin B-10; it should carry twice
the bomb load over a twice as long distance.  This was the same requirement
that created the B-17; but after the loss of the Boeing 299 prototype, the
B-17 was disqualified, and 133 B-18s were ordered in January 1936.

The B-18 was first flown on October 1935.  The B-18 --- Douglas gave it the
name DB-1 --- was a development of the DC-2.  It 930hp Wright R-1820-45
engines, and a crew of six.  It could carry 3000kg of bombs.  For the bomber
role, the fuselage had to be modified modified; the B-18 was a mid-wing
aircraft, to create internal bomb stowage below the wing spars.  The fuselage
was very deep, and gave the B-18 a rather unelegant appearance.  Three
rifle-calibre gun positions were in the nose, in the upper fuselage aft of the
wing, and in the lower fuselage.  One B-18 had an experimental power-operated
nose turret.

The first B-18 was delivered in 1937.  The 133 B-18s were followed, in 1939,
by 217 B-18As.  The B-18A had a new nose; the blunt, rounded nose of the B-18
was replaced by on with a flat upper side and a backward sloping lower side,
with more glazing to give good forward and downward view.  Power-operated gun
turrets were fitted in the nose and the dorsal position.  Another 20 B-18As
were deliverd to Canada, that gave them the name of Digby I.

In 1941 the B-18 was already obsolete.  It was used for maritime patrol,
mainly in the Caribean, or as transport.  Therefore 76 (or 122?) B-18As were
later modified to B-18B, for the maritime patrol role.  There were more
changes to the nose to install a large radome, and a MAD tail boom was added.
Two more conversions were called B-18C and delivered to Brazil.  Total
production of this bomber was 370.

Later Douglas developed the B-23 from the B-18. The B-23 had an entirely new,
slender fuselage. Only 38 were built, and most were converted to UC-67
transports.

Data:
------
Type: B-18A
Function: bomber
Year: 1939  Crew: 6  Engines: 2 * 1000hp Wright R-1820-53
Wing Span: 27.28m  Length: 17.63m  Height: 4.62m  Wing Area: 89.55 sq m
Empty Weight: 7403kg  Max.Weight: 12552kg
Cruise speed: 269km/h  Action radius: 1900km
Speed: 346km/h  Ceiling: 7285m  Range:
Climb to 3048m in 9min 54sec
Armament: 2948kg 3*mg7.62mm

Units
-----

These units operated the B-18 on 7 December 1941. (From an overview of Jacl
McKillop, <[email-masked]>:

43d Bombardment Group (Heavy), Dow Field, Maine
       13th Reconaissance Squadron (Heavy)
       64th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)

12th Bombardment Group (Light), McChord Field, Washington
       81th Bombardment Squadron (Light)
       82th Bombardment Squadron (Light)
       83th Bombardment Squadron (Light)
       94th Bombardment Squadron (Light)

42th Bombardment Group (Medium), Gowen Field, Idaho
       16th Reconaissance Squadron (Medium)
       75th Bombardment Squadron (Medium)

13th Bombardment Group (Medium), Orlando Field, Florida
       3d   Reconaissance Squadron (Medium)
       39th Bombardment Squadron (Medium)
       40th Bombardment Squadron (Medium)

30th Bombardment Group (Heavy), New Orleans AAB, La
       38th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)

44th Bombardment Group (Heavy), McDill Field, Fla
       66th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)

47th Bombardment Group (Light), Fresno AAB, California
       84th Bombardment Squadron (Light)
       85th Bombardment Squadron (Light)
       86th Bombardment Squadron (Light)

41st Bombardment Group (Medium), Davis-Monthan Field, Arizona
       6th  Reconaissance Squadron (Medium)
       46th Bombardment Squadron (Medium)
       48th Bombardment Squadron (Medium)

28th Composite Group, Elmendorf Field, TA (Alasaka Defense Command)
       36th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       73d  Bombardment Squadron (Medium)

6th Bombardment Group (Heavy), France Field, CZ (Caribbean Air Force)
       3d   Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       7th  Reconaissance Squadron (Heavy)
       25th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       74th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)

9th Bombardment Group (Heavy), Waller Field, Trinidad (Caribbean Air Force)
       1st  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       5th  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       99th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)

25th Bombardment Group (Heavy), Borinquen Field, PR (Caribbean Air Force)
       10th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       12th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       27th Reconaissance Squadron (Heavy)
       35th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)

40th Bombardment Group (Medium), Borinquen Field, PR (Caribbean Air Force)
        5th Reconaissance Squadron (Medium)
       29th Bombardment Squadron (Medium)
       44th Bombardment Squadron (Medium)
       45th Bombardment Squadron (Medium)

5th Bombardment Group (Heavy), Hickam Field, TH (Hawaii)
        4th Reconaissance Squadron (Heavy)
       23d  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       31st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       72d  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)

11th Bombardment Group (Heavy), Hickam Field, TH (Hawaii)
       42d  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       26   Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)
       50th Reconaissance Squadron (Heavy)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 09:01:38 EDT
From:    Richard Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Molotov cocktail/Miniseries

From: "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>

Dmitri Brasoun referred to early war usage of the Molotov cocktail.  In the
first night of the "When Lions Roared" miniseries, I distinctly heard FDR
quietly refer to Stalin's aid Molotov as "Mr. Cocktail"!  Did anyone else
catch this?  Would such a term have been that well known so soon?  Is this
an anachronism?  Just wondering!

Yes I heard the Mr. Cocktail comment too, and didn't know what to make of it.
Looking in several sources, I see the origin of the term Molotov Cocktail being
attributed to the Spanish Civil War, Russo-Finnish War, and the Great Patriotic
War.  It seems to have a mysterious spontaneous origin like Kilroy.

                                Richard Kaplan
                                Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 09:37:37 -0400
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: WWII-L gateway

Roger Safian writes:
>    Perhaps I didn't make this clear.  I'm not asking to get rid of WWII-L,
> I understand that there are many people who don't have access to news.
> My question is simply is WWII-L going to be linked to the news group.

        I know of no plans in which this mailing list will be gatewayed to
the newsgroup or vice versa.

Jim Benn writes:
> In regard toi the Usenet WWII Newsgroup: Can somebody tell me how to
> access this newsgroup.  I have newsgroup capability, but I don't know
> "where" this newsgroup is.  Thanks in advance for answering what may be a
> dumb question

        Concerning subscribing to the new newsgroup, propagation times for
the newgroup control message may delay its creation at particular leaf nodes.
Also, some sysadmins disable automatic newsgroup creation and will do it
manually if traffic warrants it (by scanning the junk newsgroup) its creation
(as is the case at my site).  A person should subscribe to the junk newsgroup
to see if any messages are coming in from their newsfeed.  Perusing the
control newsgroup will allow you to see if the newgroup message has been
received.  Further, some sites throttle back newsgroups that they receive,
depending of the Usenet hierarchy (e.g., accept all comp.* and rec.*
newsgroups but none of the alt.*, talk.*, or soc.* newsgroups).  Finally,
new newsgroups typically have low throughput because not many people are
aware of its existence.
--
Joe Barone, WWII-L listowner
[email-masked]
   Cowboy: Peugh! You guys smell like a dungheap!
Crap Game: Makes you kinda miss home, don't it?

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 09:52:16 -0400
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Two questions...

Question #1:
Concerning the recent thread on Molotov cocktails being thrown
at tanks...  How the heck were they supposed to disable a tank?
I mean, throwing one at a car, and having it go through the
windshield... I can understand how that could ruin your day if
you were inside, but how were they supposed to damage a *tank*
if it's buttoned up?  Paint damage excepted, of course.  :-)
A quart or so of gasoline only contains about 25,000 BTU, and
it's going to spread over a fairly large area when the bottle
breaks.

Question #2:
Jack McKillop's series frequently mentions leaflet drops at night
over occupied territories.  What did the leaflets say?  Did they
use the same message night after night?  Did they contain war news,
warnings that the invasion was imminent, calls for resistance?
My understanding is that the Germans imposed harsh penalties for
being caught possessing one.  How many ended up in the hands of
the civilian population?  OK, so it's a multi-part question.  :-)

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 07:26:04 -0700
From:    "Office TH325, Extension 3566" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pearl Harbor (black sailors)

>I know of one black sailor, who was either on the Utah or California, who was
>from Waco, TX.  I am from Waco and that is how I know of him.  He is somewhat a
>local hero.  Unfortunately, he did not survive the war and was killed in action
>in either '43 or '44.  His name does not come to mind right away.  He was a cook
>on his battleship.  When the attack began, he ran up to the deck and started
>firing an anti-aircraft gun.  He is credited with something like 2 kills.  This
>was his first time that he operated an AA gun.  His family was finally awarded
>for his heroism in the early 1980's.  It took the Navy this long to process the
>information.  Better late than never?  Hmm....  Sorry I am so vague.  The local
>Waco paper has periodically run stories on him, but I never did save any of the
>articles  :( .  The last one that I can remember was the 50th anniversary of the
>Pearl Harbor attack.  If I run across anything more, I'll post it.
>
>I hope this helps,
>
>Josh Talbert
>[email-masked]

This sounds like Mess Attendant 2d Class Doris Miller.  He was on the
West Virginia and was their heavyweight boxing champion.  He was awarded
the Nave Cross and I have seen pictures of Nimitz pinning it on him.  (I
believe it appears in Morrison's books.)  He died later in the war (I
think it was when the Liscome Bay was sunk, but I'm not sure).

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:28:05 GMT
From:    Johannes van Vuren <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Molotov Cocktails

<The following is from "WWII: Strange and Fascinating Facts"

<Molotov Cocktail - Name given to a bottle filled with flammable liquid
<used to knock out tanks.  attached to the bottle was a wick, which was
<lit before the bottle was hurled against a tank.  When the bottle broke,
<the wick ignited the liquid, setting the tank on fire.  The name was

Doug,
Please explain how metal can be made to burn. What kind of liquid would be
suitable to "set a tank on fire"?

Johannes van Vuren,
Canterbury, England.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 09:38:27 -0500
From:    Michael D Wallick <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pearl Harbor

Harry Owens was a composer, author, and bandleader, who formed his own
band and toured the Western states.  He later settled in Hawaii and
formed the Royal Hawaiians, bringing them to the USA in 1937.  He
appeared in the film "Song of the Islands" (1942) for which he wrote the
score.  He wrote the song "Sweet Leilani" which was used in the Bing
Crosby film "Waikiki Wedding" (1937) and won an Academy Award. My source
is The Oxford Companion to Popular Music by Peter Grammond.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 10:44:37 EDT
From:    Archie <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Two questions...

In response to the question, how can a molotov cocktail damage a tank?

All weapons have some areas of vulnerability.  If a tank uses gasoline, its
own fuel system can be a danger.  All motors must have air intakes which
presents a potential entry for disability.  The crew must have air vented
into and out of the tank.

If I recall correctly, one of the early US tanks in WWII had a gun turret that
could not rotate 360 degrees.  If one could disable the tanks mobility, the
gun turret was limited.  I recall a story about tanks in the Korean war (US)
that had a vent screen over the motor behind the gun turret.  If one could

explode a grenade near this vent screen, it frequently would damage some of the
tank's mechanical linkage rendering the drive train inoperative.  Immobility
is a dangerous thing!

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 17:19:00 CET
From:    Peter de Lange <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: B18 Bomber

> Any info on the B18 bomber would be greatly appreciated. Weapon systems,
> bomb capacities and unit histories of outfits flying b-18s would be
> very useful
>
> * Mike LaForge, QASAS                                                        *

Here some info on the B-18 Bolo
I just copied some data from Emmanuel Gustin and Jack McKillop

B-18  Douglas B-18 Bolo
       Medium bomber developed from the DC-2, with a new fuselage, but DC-2
       wings and tail.  The new fuselage was deeper, with a forward-sloping
       glazed nose.  Obsolete when WWII began.
       Type: B-18A
       Function: bomber
       Year: 1937  Crew: 6  Engines: 2 * 740kW Wright R-1820-53
       Speed: 346km/h   Ceiling: 7285m  Range: 1900km
       Armament: 3 * mg 7.62mm, 2950kg

On Dec-6 1941 the next units had the B-18

    43d Bombardment Gp (Heavy), Dow Fld, Maine
     *13th Reconnaissance Sqd (Heavy) (B-18)
      64th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-18)
      81st Bombardment Sqd (Light) (B-18)
      82d  Bombardment Sqd (Light) (B-18, PT-17)
      83d  Bombardment Sqd (Light) (B-18, B-23)
      94th Bombardment Sqd (Light) (B-18, B-23)
    42d Bombardment Gp (Medium), Gowen Fld, Idaho
     *16th Reconnaissance Sqd (Medium) (B-18, B-26)
      75th Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (B-18)
    13th Bombardment Gp (Medium), Orlando AAB, Fla
     * 3d  Reconnaissance Sqd (Medium) (B-18, B-25)
      39th Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (B-18, B-25)
      40th Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (B-18)
    30th Bombardment Gp (Heavy), New Orleans AAB, La
      38th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-18)
    44th Bombardment Gp (Heavy), MacDill Fld, Fla
      66th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-18)
4th Air Force, Hamilton Fld, Calif
  IV Air Support Command, Hamilton Fld, Calif
    47th Bombardment Gp (Light), Fresno AAB, Calif
      84th Bombardment Sqd (Light) (B-18)
      85th Bombardment Sqd (Light) (A-20, B-18)
      86th Bombardment Sqd (Light) (B-18)
      41st Bombardment Gp (Medium), Davis-Monthan Fld, Ariz
       * 6th Reconnaissance Sqd (Medium) (A-29, B-18, LB-30)
        46th Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (B-18)
        47th Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (A-29)
        48th Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (A-29, B-18)
IV. OVERSEAS UNITS
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ALASKA DEFENSE COMMAND, US ARMY
-------------------------------
Air Force, Alaska Defense Command
  28th Composite Gp, Elmendorf Fld, Territory of Alaska
    18th Pursuit Sqd (Interceptor) (20 P-36s)
    36th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (6 B-18As)
    73d  Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (6 B-18As)

CARIBBEAN DEFENSE COMMAND, US ARMY
----------------------------------
Caribbean Air Force, Albrook Fld, CZ
  VI Bomber Command, Albrook Fld, CZ
     6th Bombardment Gp (Heavy), France Fld, CZ
       3d  Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-18)
     * 7th Reconnaissance Sqd (Heavy), Howard Fld, CZ (B-17, B-18)
      25th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-18)
      74th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy), Aguadulce, Panama (B-18)
     9th Bombardment Gp (Heavy), Waller Fld, Trinidad
       1st Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-18)
       5th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy), Beane Fld, St Lucia (B-18)
      44th Reconnaissance Sqd (Heavy), Atkinson Fld, British Guiana (B-17)
     *59th Bombardment Sqd (Light), Howard Fld, CZ (A-20)
      99th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy), Zandery Fld, Surinam (B-18)
    25th Bombardment Gp (Heavy), Borinquen Fld, Puerto Rico
      10th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-18)
      12th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy), Benedict Fld, St Croix (B-18)
     *27th Reconnaissance Sqd (Heavy) (B-18)
      35th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy), Coolidge Fld, Antigua (B-18)
    40th Bombardment Gp (Medium), Borinquen Fld, Puerto Rico
     * 5th Reconnaissance Sqd (Medium) (B-18)
      29th Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (B-18)
      44th Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (B-18)
      45th Bombardment Sqd (Medium) (B-18)
HAWAIIAN DEPARTMENT, US ARMY
----------------------------
Hawaiian Air Force, Hickam Fld, Territory of Hawaii
  18th Bombardment Wg, Hickam Fld, Territory of Hawaii
     5th Bombardment Gp (Heavy), Hickam Fld
     * 4th Reconnaissance Sqd (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
      23d  Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
      31st Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
      72d  Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-17, B-18))
    11th Bombardment Gp (Heavy), Hickam Fld
      26th Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
      42d  Bombardment Sqd (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
     *50th Reconnaissance Sqd (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
  19th Transport Sqd, Hickam Fld (C-33)
ARIZONA
-------
Davis-Monthan Field (Tucson Municipal Airport)
  41st Bombardment Group (Medium)
   6th Reconnaissance Squadron (Medium) (A-29, B-18, LB-30)
  46th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-18)
  47th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (A-29)
  48th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (A-29, B-18)

BRITISH WEST INDIES
-------------------
Antigua, Coolidge Field
  35th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
St. Lucia, Beane Field
  5th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
Trinidad, Waller Field
  9th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
  1st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)

CALIFORNIA
----------
Fresno Army Air Base, Fresno
  47th Bombardment Group (Light)
  84th Bombardment Squadron (Light) (B-18)
  85th Bombardment Squadron (Light) (A-20, B-18)
  86th Bombardment Squadron (Light) (B-18)
  97th Bombardment Squadron (Light) (LB-30)
France Field
   6th Bombardment Group (Heavy), France Fld, CZ
   3d  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
  20th Transport Squadron (C-39, C-47, C-49)
  25th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
  39th Observation Squadron (O-47, O-49)
Howard Field
   7th Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
  59th Bombardment Squadron (Light) (A-20)
  Detachment, 20th Transport Squadron (C-39, C-47, C-49)

MacDill Field, Tampa
  III Bomber Command
  44th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
  66th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
Orlando Army Air Base (Municipal Airport), Orlando
  13th Bombardment Group (Medium)
   3d  Reconnaissance Squadron (Medium) (B-18, B-25)
  39th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-18, B-25)
  40th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-18)
  41st Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-25)
IDAHO
-----
Gowen Field, Boise
  42d  Bombardment Group (Medium)
  16th Reconnaissance Squadron (Medium) (B-18, B-26)
  75th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-18)
  76th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-26)
  77th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-26)

LOUISIANA
---------
New Orleans Army Air Base (New Orleans Airport), New Orleans
  38th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)

MAINE, Dow Field, Bangor
------------------------
43d  Bombardment Group (Heavy)
13th Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
63d  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (LB-30)
64th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
65th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-17)

PANAMA
------
Aguadulce
  74th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
PUERTO RICO
-----------
Borinquen Field, Punta Borinquen
  VI Interceptor Command
  25th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
  40th Bombardment Group (Medium)
  10th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
   5th Reconnaissance Squadron (Medium) (B-18)
  27th Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
  29th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-18)
  44th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-18)
  45th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (B-18)
SURINAM, Zandery Field
----------------------
99th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)

TERRITORY OF ALASKA, Elmendorf Field, Fort Richardson, Anchorage
----------------------------------------------------------------
28th Composite Group
18th Pursuit Squadron (Interceptor) (20 P-36s)
36th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (6 B-18As)
73d  Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (6 B-18As)

TERRITORY OF HAWAII
-------------------
Hickam Field, Honolulu
  Hawaiian Air Force
  18th Bombardment Wg
   5th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
  11th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
   4th Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
  19th Transport Squadron (C-33)
  23d  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
  26th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
  31st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
  42d  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
  50th Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) (B-17, B-18)
  58th Bombardment Squadron (Light) (A-20)
  72d  Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-17, B-18))
U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, Benedict Field, St Croix
---------------------------------------------
12th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) (B-18)
McChord Field, Tacoma
  12th Bombardment Group (Light)
  81st Bombardment Squadron (Light) (B-18)
  82d  Bombardment Squadron (Light) (B-18, PT-17)
  83d  Bombardment Squadron (Light) (B-18, B-23)
  94th Bombardment Squadron (Light) (B-18, B-23)

Some action in 1941:

MONDAY, 8 DECEMBER 1941
AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Air Force, Alaska Defense Command): Starting today, B-18's fly
armored reconnaissance each morning from Elmendorf Field, Anchorage to
Kodiak Island in the Aleutian Islands.
  ZONE OF INTERIOR:                                                     the
  Effective this month, the following units begin flying ASW patrols:
    1st Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy), I Bomber Command, from Westover
Field, Massachusetts with B-17's until Oct 42.
    3d Reconnaissance Squadron (Medium), 2d Bombardment Wing from Orlando
AAB, Florida with B-18's and B-25's until Aug 43.
    6th Reconnaissance Squadron (Medium), IV Bomber Command, from Muroc
AAB, California with B-18's and LB-30's until Aug 42.
    8th, 13th, 89th and 90th Bombardment Squadrons (Light), 3d Bombardment
Maine with A-29's and B-18's until Jan 42.
    15th Bombardment Squadron (Light), V Air Support Command, from Ft Dix
from Orlando AAB, Florida with B-18's until Jun 43.
    43d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 29th Bombardment Group (Heavy) from
    63d (LB-30), 64th (B-18) and 65th (B-17) Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy),
43d Bombardment Group (Heavy) from Dow Field, Maine until Feb 42.
    82d Observation Squadron, 69th Observation Group, with O-46's, O-47's,

TUESDAY, 9 DECEMBER 1941

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Far East Air Force): Shortly after
0300 hours, Japanese aircraft attack Nichols Field. This attack, added to
the previous day's raids on Clark and Iba Fields, leaves the Far East Air
Force strength reduced by half. Only 17 of 35 B-17's remain in commission;
about 55 P-40's, 3 P-35's, and close to 30 other aircraft (B-10's, B-18's,
and observation airplanes) have been lost in aerial combat or destroyed on
the ground. During the morning and afternoon, B-17's from Mindanao Island
fly reconnaissance missions and land on Clark and San Marcelino Fields on
Luzon. Several more B-17's are flown from Mindanao Island to these Luzon
bases for resistance against a possible invasion attempt.

WEDNESDAY, 10 DECEMBER 1941

  ZONE OF INTERIOR (4th Air Force): The air echelons of the 11th and 22d
Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 7th Bombardment Group (Heavy) cease flying
ASW patrols from Muroc AAB, California with B-17's.
  The 48th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 41st Bombardment Group (Medium),
transfers from Davis-Monthan Field, Arizona to Muroc AAB, California and
begins flying ASW patrols with A-29's and B-18's until Sep 42.

THURSDAY, 11 DECEMBER 1941

  CARIBBEAN (Caribbean Air Force): The 7th Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy),
VI Bomber Command, transfers from Howard Field, Canal Zone to David, Panama
with B-17's and B-18's.
  The 74th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 6th Bombardment Group (Heavy),
transfers from Aguadulce, Panama to Rio Hato, Panama with B-18's.
CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Hawaiian Air Force): 6 B-18's fly a
sea-search mission from the Hawaiian Islands. Similar missions by B-17's,
B-18's, and A-20's are flown each day for the remainder of the year;
several submarines are sighted and some are attacked but without positive
evidence of hits.
  The 58th Bombardment Squadron (Light), Hawaiian Air Force, and 72d
Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 5th Bombardment Group (Heavy), transfer from
Hickam Field to Bellows Field, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii with A-20's and
B-18's respectively.

TUESDAY, 16 DECEMBER 1941

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Hawaiian Air Force): The 98th
Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) is activated at Hickam Field, Territory of
Hawaii and assigned to the 11th Bombardment Group (Heavy). B-18's will be
assigned in 1942.

SATURDAY, 20 DECEMBER 1941

CENTRAL PACIFIC THEATER OF OPERATIONS (Hawaiian Air Force): The 26th
Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 11th Bombardment Group (Heavy), transfers
from Hickam Field to Wheeler Field, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii with B-17's
and B-18's and begins flying search missions which continue until Jul 42.

TUESDAY, 23 DECEMBER 1941

  ZONE OF INTERIOR (4th Air Force): The air echelon of the 16th Reconnais-
sance Squadron (Medium) attached to the 42d Bombardment Group (Medium),
begins flying ASW patrols from Paine Field, Washington with B-18's and
B-26's; patrols continue until May 42.

Thanks to Jack and Emmanuel, I am surprised for how many times
the B-18 is found.
Peter de Lange

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 08:32:45 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Molotov Cocktails

Thanks for published confirmation of my old memory.
:-)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 16:06:50 +0200
From:    John Ausland <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA: TV PROGRAMS RELATED TO D-DAY

  Oslo, April 21.  In the coming weeks, there will be a number of TV broadcasts
related to the 50th anniversary of the landing in Normandy.  Living abroad, it
is not so easy for me to get information on these.  I would appreciate it,
therefore, if users would bring any of these to my (and others) attention.  I
will do the same.
  My first contribution is the film produced by Guggenheim Productions of
Washington, DC for the Eisenhower Center in New Orleans.  Charles Guggenheim has
used an unusual approach.  Using archive footage, he and his associates have
interviewed some fifty veterans of D-Day.  He will use our voices to tell the
story, rather than that of a narrator.
  According to the Travel Section of last Sunday's New York Times, the premier
of the film will take place in New Orleans on May 20.
  Guggenheim Productions also informs me that the film will be shown on PBS on
Wednesday, May 25, under the heading THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE.  Most PBS stations
will show it at nine o'clock in the evening, local time.  A few, however, are
showing it at other times, and a few of them will repeat it.
  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 12:01:30 -0400
From:    Emery Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Otto Skorzeny

        He seems like he must have been quite a colorful character.
Can somebody provide me with some detail about the actions he was involved
in?  I know amongst his numerous exploits he led a daring raid to recover
Mussolini.  Wasn't he also the Commander of the German 150th Brigade during
the Battle of the Bulge that comprised of German Soldiers in U.S. uniforms
that spoke a minimal amount of English?  How successful was their infiltration?
        Thanks,
                --Emery

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 09:14:52 PST
From:    rod holmes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Wanted: Info about book

Howdy Everyone,

I have _Churchill's_Generals_ by Keegan and _Hitler's_Generals_ by Barnett
and was a similar book dealing with the American Generals? This books
consist of short bio's of the important generals on each side.

Thanks,
Rod Holmes
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 10:03:59 EST
From:    Scott Peters <[email-masked]>
Subject: Usenet Group Access

I agree that this discussion group should remain on E-Mail since that is my
only access to the "outside world."  I am on a wierd configuration through
two institutions so please excuse my posts if they seem to be lagging behind
the discussion since I get my mail up to a day after the fact and then my
mail "goes out" again perhaps twelve hours after I actually write it.

Scott Peters
W. Va. Wesleyan College

P.S.  This has to be the best list I have subscribed to!!!!!

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 13:16:10 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Two questions...

Hello, Dennis!

> Question #1:
> Concerning the recent thread on Molotov cocktails being thrown
> at tanks...  How the heck were they supposed to disable a tank?
> I mean, throwing one at a car, and having it go through the
> windshield... I can understand how that could ruin your day if
> you were inside, but how were they supposed to damage a *tank*
> if it's buttoned up?  Paint damage excepted, of course.  :-)
> A quart or so of gasoline only contains about 25,000 BTU, and
> it's going to spread over a fairly large area when the bottle
> breaks.

    This question has already been answered.

> Question #2:
> Jack McKillop's series frequently mentions leaflet drops at night
> over occupied territories.  What did the leaflets say?  Did they
> use the same message night after night?  Did they contain war news,
> warnings that the invasion was imminent, calls for resistance?
> My understanding is that the Germans imposed harsh penalties for
> being caught possessing one.  How many ended up in the hands of
> the civilian population?  OK, so it's a multi-part question.  :-)

    The leaflets contained messages that were 1) intended to
undermine the confidence of the population, if that was the target,
or the soldiers in the front lines in their leadership. In the case
of soldiers, encouragement to surrender, i.e. benefits derived from
the other side if done. Some leaflets contained info on the current
military situation that would tend to show the balance of any
argument to continue the in favor of the Allies. Particularly if
their were incontrovertible facts that would place doubt in the minds
of the defenders.

    In the case of the soldiers at the front, leaflets were sometimes
fired into the lines with the use of artillery. I think this was done
particularly in the Italian campaign.

    In the case of the civilian population farther behind the front,
the scenario I outlined above was the case, i.e. undermine the
confidence of the civilian population in their leadership, thus
causing a dichotomy that could have disastrous consequences for the
political leadership, if action was not taken.

    Also, leaflets were dropped to civilians located in areas close
to the fighting front to warn them of impending Allied attack. At
that time, it was not a case of bravado, but a clear cut case of
military fact that a town was to be bombed on such and such a date at
such and such a time by the Allies, and this info was contained in the
leaflet. Even this had the effect of saying to the Germans that
command of the air was so absolute that there was nothing that they
(the Germans) could do about it. You can imagine the propaganda
value in such an effort.

    Thus leaflets did have their use, although many many soldiers
involved in their distribution tired of the effort.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 11:09:11 -0700
From:    Jim Benn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Two questions...

>
> If I recall correctly, one of the early US tanks in WWII had a gun turret that
> could not rotate 360 degrees.  If one could disable the tanks mobility, the
> gun turret was limited.  I recall a story about tanks in the Korean war (US)

I'm unsure of the name for this tank; was it the Grant?  It's main
armament was on one side and could fire forwards  and swivel to one side
only.  I forget the size of the cannon, but I think there was a 37mm
above the main armament which could rotate a full 360 degrees.  This is
all from memory and may not be quite right.

My question is why would anyone design a tank like this?  Does anyone
have info on the design concept?  Is there some valid reason or is it
just bad design?   Thanks.

 *=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*> Jim Benn  [[email-masked]] <*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
 |-=[        Auto-Graphics, Inc.       ]=[      /~~)       /~~)           ]=-|
 |-=[        8 West Main Street        ]=[     (__(_UTO - (__/RAPHICS     ]=-|
 |-=[        Niantic, CT  06357        ]=[              .___/             ]=-|
 *=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*>  PHONE: 800-733-6939 = FAX: 203-691-0183  <*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 11:20:03 -0700
From:    "Office TH325, Extension 3566" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Wanted: Info about book

>
>Howdy Everyone,
>
>I have _Churchill's_Generals_ by Keegan and _Hitler's_Generals_ by Barnett
>and was a similar book dealing with the American Generals? This books
>consist of short bio's of the important generals on each side.
>
>Thanks,
>Rod Holmes
>[email-masked]

You might try _Eisenhower's Generals_ by Weigley, Russel Frank.  I don't
remember how detailed the bios are.

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 14:27:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: ITALIAN CELEBRATION

The following is a letter from Mr. Frank D. Stella, Chairman, National
Italian American Foundation, that appeared in the LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
section of the April 22, 1994 issue of the NEW YORK TIMES.

"VETERANS WILL BOW HEADS AT ANZIO TOO

"To The Editor:

"Although neither Germany nor Italy will take part in the 50th anniversary
commemoration of the Normandy invasion in June, German unhappiness over its
exclusion provides a contrast with Italy's plan to celebrate a similar
anniversary this year: on June 4, 1944, the Allies drove the Germans from
Rome.

"Over the years the anniversary of the liberation of Rome has been ignored
in the United States.  The entire 21-month Italian campaign has turned into
the 'forgotten front.'  It was a grinding, bloody, yard-by-yard sloshing
through mud and mountains that seemed to go on forever.  American veterans,
who left too many of their buddies over there, are understandably bitter at
their country's failure to remember this sacrifice.

"This year the scenario is a little brighter.  American veterans will gather
on June 3 at Anzio--the site of an earlier landing--to be joined by
President Clinton at a military cemetery in neighboring Nettuno.

"There also will be a 'Feast of Friendship' given by Anzio and Nettuno for
veterans of all countries, including Germany.  The next day in Rome, there
will be a dedication to all war dead, including Italian civilians.

"The contrast with German unhappiness at being excluded from the Normandy
extravaganza is striking.  But Rome's brotherliness is right and proper,
considering how the Italian people and army and government, while allied
with the Nazis, actively fought Hitler's attempts to force them to
contribute victims to the Nazi Holocaust.

"On June 4 American veterans, along with Italian partisans, will honor
their fallen comrades in the Eternal City they helped liberate.  They hope
that the presence of their President indicates a renewed interest by the
American people in their service in the greatest war in history."

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 18:26:59 +0000
From:    Gudmundur Helgason <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Otto Skorzeny

>
>         He seems like he must have been quite a colorful character.
> Can somebody provide me with some detail about the actions he was involved
> in?  I know amongst his numerous exploits he led a daring raid to recover
> Mussolini.  Wasn't he also the Commander of the German 150th Brigade during
> the Battle of the Bulge that comprised of German Soldiers in U.S. uniforms
> that spoke a minimal amount of English?  How successful was their infiltration?
>         Thanks,
>                 --Emery
>
 Hmmm, I always heard they spoke EXCELLENT english (althought that
German accent is a bitch to remove :)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 13:24:27 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Otto Skorzeny

Hello, Emery!

I can answer your questions about Otto Skorzeny.

>         He seems like he must have been quite a colorful character.

    He was a very colorful character, and was labeled as "the most
dangerous man in Europe" during the latter stages of the war in
Europe.

> Can somebody provide me with some detail about the actions he was involved
> in?

    Yes, first and foremost was his involvement in the rescue attempt
of Mussolini on 23 Sep 1943. He led the German force that brought
this about.

    Secondly, he was involved in an attempt to kidnap Dr. Horthy, the
Regent of Hungary in 1944. Although this didn't come off, his force
was involved in this.

    Lastly, he commanded Sonderkommando 151 which was the unit put
together, consisting of English-speaking Germans, for employment in
the early stages of the Battle of the Bulge. Although they weren't
specifically charged with the kidnapping of General Eisenhower,
Skorzeny did not stop such rumors from circulating. He felt to do
this would add even more concern and consternation in the Allied camp.

However, this unit was charged with behind-the-lines operations, such
as capturing key, strategical points far enough behind the lines,
that the advancing panzers would have no trouble reaching, thus
facilitating the advance.

    BTW, Otto Skorzeny survived the war, became head of Mercedes-Benz
in Spain, where he lived, and died of a heart-attack in 1967. His
wife is still alive and she maintains a residence in both Germany and
Madrid.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

I know amongst his numerous exploits he led a daring raid to
recover
> Mussolini.  Wasn't he also the Commander of the German 150th Brigade during
> the Battle of the Bulge that comprised of German Soldiers in U.S. uniforms
> that spoke a minimal amount of English?  How successful was their infiltration?
>         Thanks,
>                 --Emery
>

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 14:33:47 EDT
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Two questions...

Dennis,
I think a quart of gasoline burning on the air intake of a tank engine might
do quite a bit of damage.
John sloan

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 13:47:17 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Wanted: Info about book

Hello, Rod!

Hello, Rod. I would recommend "Eisenhower's Lieutenants" by Russell
F. Weigley. That should very favorably compare with the works you
mentioned.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry
----------------------------------------------------------------------

> I have _Churchill's_Generals_ by Keegan and _Hitler's_Generals_ by Barnett
> and was a similar book dealing with the American Generals? This books
> consist of short bio's of the important generals on each side.
>
> Thanks,
> Rod Holmes
> [email-masked]
>

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 14:52:31 EDT
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Barbarossa

Sorry to bother the list - Emory Ford sent message about more details on
Russian archives and Barbarossa etc - But Emory - the mail DAEMON refuses to
return mail to the address you sent. Please try again and give me the full
address
John Sloan

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 14:03:30 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Hs-117

Hello, Mike!

Will get back to you on this. Will post to you at a later date, but I
will post much more info to the list on other projects on which I
have info.

Thanks for your patience.

Terry
------------------------------------------------------------------
> I just read your post about the Hs-239 and was wondering if you could
> send me the post about the Hs-117. I don't think I saw that one. If you
> have anymore of such posts in the future I'd very much like to see them
> as my interest in Military history includes aviation. Thank you.
> Mike Wilson<[email-masked]>
>

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 14:12:14 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: German Helicopters

Hello, Tony!

Here goes with the first posting on this topic. I will list the
topics and, if you will get back to me to tell me which ones you need
info on. I will then post it.

Here goes.

 Dohlhoff Wn 342

 Flettner Fl 265

 Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri

 Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 Drache

 Focke-Achgelis Fa 225

 Focke-Achgelis Fa 284

 Focke-Achgelis 330 Bachsteltz (Wagtail)

 Nagler and Rolz NR 54

 That is it for that topic. Please let me know what you need.

 All the best.

 Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 14:17:29 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Henning von Treschkow

Hello, Gudmundur!

I will be sending you the entire military assignments of Henning von
Treschkow, General Hermann Balck, in who you also expressed an
interest, and now I will send you the projects, the posting of which
you missed. Please let me know what you need.

Here goes.

                    Gotha Projects

 P.60

                    Heinkel Projects

P.1076
P.1077 Julia
P.1078
P.1080
P.1095

                      Henschel Projects

P.122
P.135

                      Junkers Projects

EF 125
EF 126 Lilly
EF 127 Dolly
EF 128 Walli
EF 130

                        Messerschmitt Projects

P.1101
P.1104
P.1106
P.1107
P.1110/11
P.1111
P.1116

                           Skoda Projects

Skoda Ramjet Fighter

    That is it. Please let me know what you need, and I will post it.

    All the best.

    Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:33:36 CST
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Two questions...

Please remember that a tank crew memeber's worst fear is burning to
death, or worse, getting burned badly and living.  Even if the Molotov
Cocktail has virtually no effect on the tank, if the crew sees the tank
burning a less disciplined crew may bail out.  I've read stories of
crews bailing after a smoke grenade was tossed on their vehicle, because
they thought their vehicle was on fire.

I hope this helps----TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 17:00:19 -0400
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pearl Harbor (black sailors)

> Much deleted
>>I know of one black sailor, who was either on the Utah or California, who was
>>from Waco, TX.  I am from Waco and that is how I know of him.  He is somewhat a
>>local hero.  Unfortunately, he did not survive the war and was killed in action
>>in either '43 or '44.  His name does not come to mind right away.  He was a coo
>k
>>on his battleship.  When the attack began, he ran up to the deck and started
>>firing an anti-aircraft gun.  He is credited with something like 2 kills.  This
>>was his first time that he operated an AA gun.  His family was finally awarded
>>for his heroism in the early 1980's.  It took the Navy this long to process the
>>information.  Better late than never?  Hmm....  Sorry I am so vague.  The local
>>Waco paper has periodically run stories on him, but I never did save any of the
>>articles  :( .  The last one that I can remember was the 50th anniversary of th
>e
>>Pearl Harbor attack.  If I run across anything more, I'll post it.
>>
>>I hope this helps,
>>
>>Josh Talbert
>>[email-masked]
>
>
>This sounds like Mess Attendant 2d Class Doris Miller.  He was on the
>West Virginia and was their heavyweight boxing champion.  He was awarded
>the Nave Cross and I have seen pictures of Nimitz pinning it on him.  (I
>believe it appears in Morrison's books.)  He died later in the war (I
>think it was when the Liscome Bay was sunk, but I'm not sure).
>
>John Riegsecker
>Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
>University of Puget Sound
>
>[email-masked]
>
 John,

I think you mean DORIE Miller.  And, he was awarded the NAVY
Cross and he was killed when the Liscombe Bay went down.

Jim

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-8760
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-8760

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 16:20:10 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Two questions...

As you know, John, WW2 vintage tanks were a far cry from today's
sophisticated airtight buttoned-up ceramic-shielded land fortresses...
        Some peoples' scepticism at the effectiveness of Molotov
Cocktails may be because they judge the quite vulnerable tanks of
yore by modern standards.
        Back then, there were a score of slits and openings on tanks
to let in burning gasoline, choking fumes, and flames that could
"brew up" a tank's ammo and fuel in seconds.
MC were *cheap*, too.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 19:29:55 -0500
From:    "Sue Hattabaugh, Valparaiso University" <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO: Military aircraft & vehicles display

3rd Annual America's Pride
Military Aircraft & Vehicles Diisplay
May 7 & *
May 7 & 8
Porter County Airport, Valparaiso, Indiana
Presented by The American Museum of Military Vehicles
Tentative attractions:
A-10 Thunderbolt - C47 Dakota - B25 Mitchell
P51 Mustang - PV2 Harpoon - TBM Avenger -
AT6/BT13 - British Gnat Jet - AV8 Harrier -
Royal Navy Sea Fury - etc.

Don't know if any of you would be interested in this
show but if you need more info, just e-mail me.
Not being knowledgable about military aircraft, I
can't give any recommendations but I remember last
year there were several large 4-engine crafts
flying overhead that were spectacular! Wish I
knew what they were!
Sue
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 19:34:40 -0500
From:    "Sue Hattabaugh, Valparaiso University" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Aircraft show addendum

I forgot to mention in my post re: the military display
in Valparaiso that there will also be a D-Day Veterans Ceremony.
Sue
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 19:57:34 +0000
From:    Josh Talbert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pearl Harbor (black sailors)

>Josh,
>
>     Wasn't he portrayed in "Tora, Tora, Tora"?
>
>Lou Coatney

Yes, I do believe he was.

Josh Talbert

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 20:01:36 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII-L Meeting @ Jefferson Barracks

I'm thinking seriously about coming to St. Louis next week-end.  As I
mentioned earlier, I would like to combine that trip with a look at
Show Me, the B-25 in St. Louis and a stop in Columbia to talk with a friend
about my book.  I have even thought about going on to Rockford Illinois
to see another B-25 there.

All this is a long way of asking for a schedule of the activities for
Saturday and Sunday.  Realistically, I don't see the possibility of staying
more than part of a day, or a day at most.  But I would like to come, if I
can combine several activities into one trip.

Thanks...

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my second | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   extended stay in Prague.       |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  | Working on second book about     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic  |    economic, social, political     |
  |   and a book about building and  |    problems and opportunities.     |
  |   flying B-25s in WWII.          |  B-25 in WWII.                     |
  | E-Mail:                          | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |   USA:  [email-masked]    | Stamp collecting.                  |
  =========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 1994 19:12:06 -0700
From:    "Office TH325, Extension 3566" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pearl Harbor (black sailors)

[deleted]

>>This sounds like Mess Attendant 2d Class Doris Miller.  He was on the
>>West Virginia and was their heavyweight boxing champion.  He was awarded
>>the Nave Cross and I have seen pictures of Nimitz pinning it on him.  (I
>>believe it appears in Morrison's books.)  He died later in the war (I
>>think it was when the Liscome Bay was sunk, but I'm not sure).
>>

> John,
>
>I think you mean DORIE Miller.  And, he was awarded the NAVY
>Cross and he was killed when the Liscombe Bay went down.
>

Jim,

No, strange as it may seem, I think his real name was Doris.  That's the
name I've seen in several places.  My account was from Prange's "Dec. 7
1941" based on Walter Lord's "Day of Infamy." Yes of course, my fingers
failed me and I meant Navy Cross.

>Jim
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
> Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
> 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-8760
> Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-8760
>
>                     "Never in the field of human conflict
>                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
>                               Winston S. Churchill
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 21 Apr 1994 to 22 Apr 1994
*************************************************