Subject: WWII-L Digest - 9 Apr 1994 to 10 Apr 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 00:00:22 -0400

There are 7 messages totalling 149 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. NOST: 50 years ago this week
  2. RCAF
  3. help
  4. Yes!  There IS a Navarone! (2)
  5. Memphis Belle (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 9 Apr 1994 22:22:50 EDT
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Adjunct Instructor,
         Marist Coll" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: 50 years ago this week

I have obtained two calendars, one from the International Churchill
Society and one from the US Department of Defense which highlights
some of the events of WWII. As time permits, I will post some of
these events:

Fifty Years ago this week:

11 April - Jock Colville (Churchill's Private Secretary at 10 Downing
Street) notes how Churchill is "tired and worn out." (c)
12 April - Germans begin evacuation of Crimea. (c)
13 April - Churchill questions policy of bombing France. (c)
14 April - Churchill hopes to unite Serbs, Croats and Slovenes in
Yugoslavia. (c)
16 April - Red Army captures Yalta. (c)

Sources: (c) = Churchill society; (d) = Defense Dept.

Jonah Triebwasser
Adjunct Instructor
Marist College
Dyson Building (Adult Education)
Poughkeepsie, New York12601
Tel: (914) 575-3331, ext. 7037
E-Mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Apr 1994 13:19:46 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RCAF

Bill Devens...
        'Thought of you just now, when I came across EAST AND WEST
AFRICANS IN BURMA.
        Article written in 1947. Says in part:
        "... African regiments had performed magnificently against the
Italians in the Abyssinian campaign, but how would the reacts to the
Japanese? ... Early in 1942, the East African Brigade sailed for Ceylon,
leaving the West African Brigade, stillneeded to protect against French
attacks through Vicy-controlled territory in West Africa.... Later, the
Vicy danger having gone, the WAs were released to join their fellow-
Africans for training to fight the Japanese. Two complete African
Divisions were formed; the 81st Div. completed in April 1943, and the
82nd Div. in October, 1943..."
Have a bit more along these lines, if you are at all interested.
Regards.

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Apr 1994 21:06:43 -0400
From:    William Eldridge <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: help

On Wed, 6 Apr 1994, Terry Moore wrote:

>
> IMHO stands for In My Honest Opinion
>

I thought it was In My Humble Opinion...?

-- Bill Eldridge

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Apr 1994 21:24:42 -0500
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Yes!  There IS a Navarone!

OK, all you people:

A while back, some of you (gently) laughed at my question
  about whether/where there was/is a Navarone, as in
  "Guns of Navarone."

Wellllll, I am here to tell YOU that there is an entire 1-page
  "Navarone" subchapter in Charles W. Koburger, JR., -'s 1993
  book NAVAL WARFARE IN THE EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN, 1940-1945,
  p. 112.  (... well, 3/4s of a page, anyway.)

Obviously, SOME members of this list are not QUITE as well-read
  as other members are.

:-)

Lou Coatney, WIU

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Apr 1994 19:41:13 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Yes!  There IS a Navarone!

Perhaps, but what does the half-page SAY about Navarone?
        BTW: There's an actual *Mars*, too, but one scarcely takes
Jules Verne's stories to be anthing other than fiction.  :-)

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Apr 1994 22:01:17 -0500
From:    Hans Werner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Memphis Belle

A quick question which I am sure can be answered easily by the expert
knowledge represented on the list. My son and I just watched the movie
'Memphis Belle' and he is also building a model of the airplane. The movie
airplane has waist gunners and the Revell model apparently does not. Which
is correct?

Hans
_____________________________________________________________________________
Hans Werner                             | "The boogey man is goin to git'im!"
University of Manitoba                  |               -Clay
Department of History                   |

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Apr 1994 23:48:58 -0400
From:    John Peterson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Memphis Belle

>Date: Sun, 10 Apr 1994 22:01:17 -0500
>From: Hans Werner <[email-masked]>
>
>A quick question which I am sure can be answered easily by the expert
>knowledge represented on the list. My son and I just watched the movie
>'Memphis Belle' and he is also building a model of the airplane. The movie
>airplane has waist gunners and the Revell model apparently does not. Which
>is correct?
>
>Hans

Hans:
     Last I knew, all B-17's had 2 waist guns.  The 'Belle' certainly did.
Strange that a model wouldn't include them.

Cheers,
John Peterson
[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 9 Apr 1994 to 10 Apr 1994
************************************************