Subject: WWII-L Digest - 8 Apr 1994 to 9 Apr 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 1994 00:01:15 -0400

There are 4 messages totalling 64 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Franko...
  2. USAAF Regulations Question
  3. WWI-L PLEASE READ
  4. General Scott and the F-16

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 9 Apr 1994 15:20:44 MET-1
From:    Bognar Attila <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Franko...

A good reading on the Republicans and Stalinists would be Orwell's
Hommage To Catalonia (I have retranslated the title again, but I'm
sure you'll find it). He was there actually fighting on the
Republican side and could miracolously (sp?) escape the purges.

All the best,

Attila  [email-masked]

PS.: Look at my new address, please.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 9 Apr 1994 11:02:44 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF Regulations Question

Dogs were actually trained in parachuting with the US Airborne during
WW2. Several K9 Corps scout dogs dropped by chute into combat.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 9 Apr 1994 11:19:13 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWI-L PLEASE READ

Good to read you wish to start a Great War list.
Count me in, when you go over the top.
meanwhile, I'll remain at Stand To.   :-)
Regards.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 9 Apr 1994 17:00:41 -0400
From:    Daniel Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: General Scott and the F-16

A previous post asked about BG Robert Lee Scott Jr and his flight
in a F-16 Falcon jet. Scott tells the story in THE DAY I OWNED
THE SKY. (He was never handicapped by modesty: he owned the sky,
and God was his co-pilot!) Though regulations forbade anyone over
60 from flying a jet fighter, an exception was granted by Gen
Charles Gabriel, USAF chief of staff. Scott went through the
flight simulator and had a medical check. Then, on July 19, 1984,
he took off as the rear-seat passenger in a F-16 Falcon jet with
Col Rick High in the front seat. Scott took the controls after
takeoff, and by his account made one turn and a simulated rocket
attack on a ground target. After some simulated combat, evidently
with Col High flying, Scott made two touch-and-go landings and
perhaps finally landed the plane. The F-16 had taken him as fast
as 400 knots, as high as 46,000 feet, and (according to a
certificate bestowed by Col High) subjected him to 9 Gs. He was
76 years old.

Cheers - Dan Ford   <e-mail: [email-masked]>
                    <postal: 433 Bay Road, Durham NH 03824 USA>
                    <voice/fax: +1-603-868-5850>

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 8 Apr 1994 to 9 Apr 1994
***********************************************