Subject: WWII-L Digest - 5 May 1994 to 6 May 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 May 1994 00:00:41 -0400

There are 27 messages totalling 875 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. MEDIA: Combat! marathon (3)
  2. MISC. Feldgendarmerie Gorget
  3. NAVY: 1936 U-boat listing (2)
  4. INF: USN Chronology 05-06-94
  5. INF: USAAF 6-8 MAY 44 (3)
  6. [TRIV] Costal defense guns
  7. HELP!! (2)
  8. P-61 Black Widow
  9. ref:channel islands
 10. Looking for WWII aircraft model repro (2)
 11. Sir Dr. Archibald McIndoe
 12. machine guns vs cannons.
 13. Spam in Europe (2)
 14. MEDIA:Prime Time Search for Nazis (2)
 15. The Army / Navy 'E'  award
 16. Prime Time
 17. Re[2]: MEDIA: Combat! marathon
 18. "E" AWARDS

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 May 1994 18:43:32 MET
From:    Ireneusz Jakobik <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: Combat! marathon

Are you guys talking only about American shows? There's a British comedy
TV series 'Allo 'Allo. It's got crazy English sense of humor.
Irek.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 01:23:39 -0500
From:    "WILLIAM L. HUBER - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: MISC. Feldgendarmerie Gorget

Michael,

The German soldiers wearing what you call a "breastplate" is called
a gorget.  It was worn as a badge of office for the military field
police (MP's in our army), which the Germans called the
"feldgendarmerie".  SO, in those COMBAT episodes, they were dealing with
German MPs or soldiers assigned to traffic control points along a supply route.

I'm sure Bill Huber will add more info to this.

Barry

Barrett F. Lowe               RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
 -----------------------------

     The two gotgets were of different design, too. I believe that the
MPs version had a large German eagle on it, and that the flag bearers
had crossed flags on it, as did their shoulder patch. Sorry I can't be
more precise, but the books are at home, ya see.

                                                Regards
                                                Bob Kieran
                                                [email-masked]

 -----------------------------
End of WWII-L Digest - 3 May 1994 to 4 May 1994
***********************************************

Hi Folks,

Not much I can really add to this except to point out that the
beginning of Joe & my favorite movie, "Kelly's Heros" there is a
feldgendarmerie NCO directing traffic with his "lollypop" and he is
correctly wearing the gorget.  Kelly mounts him on the hood of his
jeep when the NCO noticed that Kelly was not a German and reached for
his pistol.  Gorgets are worn by the guards at the train yard that
Oddball shoots up later in the movie but they probably should have
been Bahnhofswache rather than Feldgendarmerie but what the heck.
The uniforms in that movie were quite good with minor exceptions which
was due to the technical advisor, Brian L. Davis.

Max Hastings in his book _Das Reich_ mentions that two partisans were
captured and executed because one of them had in his possession three
of these gorgets and the German Field Police were not in the habit of
giving these away as souveniers.

Gorgets go back a long way in military heraldry and are traced back to
knights in armor by some authors.  You see them depicted in 18th
century British uniforms for officers quite often.  The Germans used
the idea and there are numerous different ones but the most common are
for the field police and the flag carriers as pointed out quite well
in earlier messages.

The ones for the field police served a functional purpose too.  The
eagle, two round discs and the words Feldgendarmerie were painted in a
luminescent paint so they would be visible at night.  The "lollypop"
was painted that way too.

Cheers,  Bill Huber / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 01:41:19 -0500
From:    "WILLIAM L. HUBER - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: NAVY: 1936 U-boat listing

Date:    Mon, 2 May 1994 15:22:59 -0400
>From:    Norrin M Ripsman <[email-masked]>
Subject: German Navy 1936

I know this is before WWII, but I thought I'd give it a shot.  Does anyone
know where I can find sources on both the composition of the German navy
[and in particular U-boats] and the relative naval balance between France
and Germany in 1936?

Thanks in advance,

Norrin M. Ripsman

 -----------------------------

Hi Norrin,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I have a 1937
rank list of the Kriegsmarine which lists every U-boat in service at
that time and provides a listing of the officers aboard each one.  If
that would be helpful let me know.

Cheers, Bill Huber / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 01:23:26 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 05-06-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr44.txt

1944
05/06 Sat.  United States naval vessel damaged:
             Destroyer escort BUCKLEY (DE-51), by intentional
              ramming of German submarine, mid-Atlantic area,
              17 d. 17' N., 32 d. 24' W.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 07:45:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USAAF 6-8 MAY 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
6 TO 8 MAY 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT Air Force (RAF)T MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow
  Vengeance, Vultee

SATURDAY, 6 MAY 1944

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 14 B-25s bomb Indainggyi,
destroy the Sibong bridge and damage a road at Hpaungzeik; 90+ P-40s, Royal
Air Force (RAF) Vengeances, P-51s and B-25s attack a wide variety of targets
throughout the Mogaung Valley; 18 fighter-bombers and 6 B-25s support ground
forces at Mawlu while 3 B-25s and 4 P-51s hit positions at Nalong.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 61 P-40s and 5 B-25s attack targets
throughout S China and French Indochina. In China, numerous vehicles and
troops are destroyed in the Hsiangcheng, Loyang and Luchou areas; main
buildings at Nanchang mines are destroyed, Sienning bridge is damaged and
several railroad cars and vehicles are destroyed near Puchi; and 14 B-25s
and 25 fighter-bombers pound the airfield and surrounding area at Hankow. In
French Indochina, 8 boxcars are destroyed and 70 more damaged between Thanh
Moi and Bac Le and between Phu Lang Thuong and Lang Son; a barge is sunk at
Campha Port and numerous sampans and small craft sunk or damaged at Cat Ba
Island.
  Detachment of 22d Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 341st Bombardment Group
(Medium), operating from Yunnani, China with B-25s returns to base at
Yangkai.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 340: 168 bombers and 185
fighters are dispatched to hit NOBALL (V-weapon) targets in France; 90 B-17s
dispatched to the Pas de Calais area return to base with bombs due to cloud
cover over the target; 70 of 78 B-24s hit Siracourt; 48 B-17s are damaged.
Escort is provided by 57 Ninth Air Force P-38s, 47 P-47s and 81 P-51s without
loss.
  Mission 341: 5 of 5 B-17s drop 3.22 million leaflets on 19 towns in
France and Belgium; 1 B-17 encounters a night fighter and claims 0-1-0; the
B-17 is damaged.
  22 B-24s are dispatched on CARPETBAGGER operations.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 75 B-26s and A-20s dispatched to
attack coastal defenses abort the mission because of weather.
  422d Night Fighter Squadron, 71st Fighter Wing, moves from Charmy Down to
Scorton, England with P-61s; first mission is 3 Jul.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): About 300 B-17s and B-24s,
escorted by P-51s and P-38s, hit targets in Rumania; the B-17s attack an
aircraft factory at Brasov and marshalling yard at Turnu Severin; the B-24s
bomb Ploesti/Campina marshalling yard and an aircraft factory at Brasov.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, A-20s pound a storage
area at Itri; A-36s hit rail lines in the Viterbo area; P 40s hit guns,
tracks and railroad station in and around Frosinone, and rail lines,
stations, roads and town area in and near Itri, Colleferro and Sezze; P-47s
hit Certaldo marshalling yard and numerous railroad and highway targets,
including several bridges.
  HQ 324th Fighter Group and 314th Fighter Squadron move from Cercola to
Pignataro Maggiore, Italy with P-40s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-25s from Makin Island and
Kwajalein Atoll hit Wotje and Jaluit Atolls. B-24s, staging through Eniwetok
Atoll, escort US Navy (USN) aircraft on a photo reconnaissance of Guam
Island, Marianas Islands. The B-24s bomb Guam from 20,000 ft (6,096 m),
scoring hits on 2 airfields and a town area and proceed to Los Negros
Island, Admiralty Islands to prepare for the return flight; the B-24s claim
4 enemy aircraft shot down.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): 24 B-25s and 12 P-39s pound
the Talili Bay area on New Britain Island. 37 P-39s and 19 P-40s attack
targets in the Porton area, Bougainville Island.
  HQ 4th Photographic Group (Reconnaissance) moves from Espiritu Santo
Island, New Hebrides Islands to Guadalcanal Island, Solomon Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): B-24s bomb Penfoei, Timor
Island, Lesser Sunda Islands and Biak Island off New Guinea. In New Guinea,
150+ B-25s, A-20s and fighter-bombers, operating almost continuously
throughout the day, blast a variety of targets from Wewak to the shores of
Hansa Bay. B-24s of the Thirteenth Air Task Force again bomb Woleai Atoll.

SUNDAY, 7 MAY 1944

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 15 P-38s hit the Kangaung area; 4
P-40s hit targets of opportunity along the road from N of Nanyaseik to
Kamaing. 4 B-24s lay mines in the Gulf of Siam off Sattahib, Thailand.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 4 B-25s hit vehicle concentrations
W and NW of Hsiangcheng and bomb the town of Chiahsien and 4 P-40s destroy at
least 25 trucks between the 2 towns; 8 P-40s destroy or damage 40-60 trucks,
tanks and other vehicles during road sweeps from Loyang to Yenshih and from
Yehhsien to Paofeng; 8 P-40s strafe forces and equipment E of Luchou, while 4
hit railroad targets of opportunity at Lang Son, French Indochina.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 342: In the morning, 922
bombers and 764 fighters are dispatched to bomb targets in Germany; 9 bombers
and 4 fighters are lost; 1 Luftwaffe aircraft is claimed shot down:
  1. 600 B-17s are dispatched on a PFF attack on Berlin; 514 bomb the
primary and 39 hit targets of opportunity; 8 B-17s are lost, 2 are damaged
beyond repair and 265 damaged; 8 airmen are KIA, 14 WIA and 83 MIA.
  2. Of 322 B-24s dispatched, 147 bomb Munster and 165 bomb Osnabruck; 1
B-24 is lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 22 damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 2
WIA and 6 MIA.
  Escort is provided by 153 P-38s, 317 P-47s and 284 P-51s; 2 P-38s, 1 P-47
and 1 P-51 are lost, 1 P-51 is damaged beyond repair and 5 P-38s, 3 P-47s
and 1 P-51 damaged; 3 pilots are MIA.
  In the afternoon, 29 of 67 B-24s bomb the marshalling yard at Liege,
Belgium without loss; escort is provided by 24 P-47s and 51 P-51s without
loss.
  Mission 343: 3 of 4 B-17s drop 1.6 million leaflets on 16 towns in C
France without loss.
  14 B-24s are dispatched on CARPETBAGGER missions without loss.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 420+ B-17s and B-24s bomb
targets in Rumania and Yugoslavia; the B-17s and B-24s hit marshalling
yards at Bucharest, Rumania and 38 B-17s also hit a railroad bridge at
Belgrade, Yugoslavia; 62 P-51s escort heavy bombers to the target and 53
provide withdrawal escort; 84 P-38s fly target cover.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, weather remains poor and
precludes medium bomber operations; A-20s hit a dump SW of Albano Laziale;
fighter-bombers hit communications, especially roads, with excellent results;
roads, motor transports, trains, gun positions, bridges, tracks, marshalling
yards, harbor areas and other targets are attacked in areas around
Stimigliano, Vetralla, Viterbo, Bracciano, Anzio, Manziana, Acquapendente,
Civitavecchia, Terracina, Rome and Elba Island.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-24s, staging through Eniwetok
Atoll, bomb Truk Atoll during the night of 6/7 May. B-25s from Engebi Island
hit Ponape Island during the following day. Makin Island-based B-25s bomb
Jaluit and Wotje Atolls.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): 15 B-25s, hampered by bad
weather, attack a coastal gun on Cape Friendship, Bougainville Island and
bomb the west coast of Rantan Island, Solomon Islands; 70+ P-39s, P-38s and
P-40s bomb numerous targets throughout Buka and Bougainville Islands
including shipping and supply area at Chabai and Tsirogei, huts at Hiru
Hiru, near Tonu, and at Monoitu and bridges W of Haigi and on the Miwo
River.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea, B-24s, B-25s
and P-40s hit Urarom, Biak Island, the Hollandia-Wakde coast, and Sawar-
Maffin Bay area; A-20s, B-25s and fighter-bombers again attack targets of
opportunity from Wewak to the area around Hansa Bay and strafe villages along
the Sepik River.
  90th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 3d Bombardment Group (Light), moves
from Nadzab to Hollandia, New Guinea with A-20s.

MONDAY, 8 MAY 1944

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 9 B-24s and 9 B-25s bomb Moirang
and a village to the N, causing considerable damage including the destruction
of a road bridge; 12 P-38s hit Kangaung Airfield.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO): General Dwight D Eisenhower sets D-Day
for the Normandy invasion as 5 Jun; the date subsequently will be changed to
6 Jun.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 344: In the morning, 807
bombers and 729 fighters are dispatched to hit targets in Germany in a PFF
mission; the bombers claim 76-16-16 Luftwaffe fighters, the fighters claim
55-4-20; 36 bombers and 13 fighters are lost:
  1. 500 B-17s are dispatched to bomb Berlin; 386 B-17s hit the primary, 42
bomb Brunswick, 17 bomb Brandenburg and 8 bomb Magderburg; 25 B-17s are lost,
1 is damaged beyond repair and 169 damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 7 WIA and 261
MIA.
  2. 307 B-24s are dispatched to Brunswick; 288 hit the primary and 1 hits a
target of opportunity; 11 B-24s are lost, 7 are damaged beyond repair and 28
damaged; 7 airmen are KIA, 8 WIA and 112 MIA.
  Escort is provided by 152 P-38s, 295 P-47s and 282 P-51s; the P-38s claim
6-0-3 Luftwaffe aircraft, the P-47s claim 9-1-5 and the P-51s claim 40-3-12;
4 P-38s, 4 P-47s and 5 P-51s are lost; 1 P-47 and 1 P-51 are damaged beyond
repair; 3 P-47s and 1 P-51 are damaged; 1 pilot is WIA and 13 MIA.
  Mission 345: In the afternoon, 164 bombers and 97 fighters are dispatched
against targets in France and Belgium; 5 bombers are lost:
  1. 92 of 101 B-17s bomb V-weapon sites at Glacerie and Sottevast, France; 5
B-17s are lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 29 damaged; 28 airmen are MIA.
  2. 57 of 63 B-24s hit Brussels/Schaerbeck marshalling yard, Belgium; 29
B-24s are damaged; 2 airmen are KIA, 2 WIA and 19 MIA.
  Escort is provided by 97 P-47s without loss.
  Mission 346: 3 of 4 B-17s drop 1.6 million leaflets on 10 towns in France
without loss.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): About 450 B-26s and A-20s bomb
marshalling yards, coastal defenses, bridges, airfields and V-weapons sites
in France and Belgium.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, fighter-bombers hit
roads and railroads N of Rome, a supply dump N of Anzio beachhead, and the
station at Colleferro; numerous trucks and railroad cars are destroyed and
many troops killed; Attacks against rolling stock on the Rome-Orte rail line
are especially effective.
  Unit moves in Italy: HQ 62d Troop Carrier Group and 4th, 7th and 8th Troop
Carrier Squadrons from Ponte Olivo, Sicily to Gaudo Airfield (4th Troop
Carrier Squadron is operating from bases in India); 524th Fighter-Bomber
Squadron, 27th Fighter-Bomber Group, from Castel Volturno to Santa Maria with
P-40s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-25s from Engebi Island strike
Ponape Island while Makin Island-based B-25s pound Jaluit and Wotje Atolls,
using Majuro Atoll as a shuttle base between strikes. B-24s that landed at
Los Negros Island after the strike on Guam Island on 6 May return to the
Marshall Islands, bombing Ponape Island en route.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): Fighter-bombers pound
Tobera Airfield, New Britain Island and strafe targets of opportunity in the
area. 2 squadrons of B-24s bomb gun positions at Sohano Island, Solomon
Islands and Hahilia, New Britain Island while on Bougainville Island, 30+
P-39s and P-40s hit areas around Porton, Tsimba, Tarara, Kieta, Numa Numa,
Tsirogei and at several other points and B-25s blast the coast near Banin,
hit Sohano Island, and bomb airfield areas at Bonis and Buka on Buka Island.
  390th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 42d Bombardment Group (Medium), based
in the Russell Islands, Solomon Islands with B-25s, ceases operating from
Stirling Island, Solomon Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea, B-24s and
P-40s operating in the Geelvink Bay area attack Mokmer Airfield and nearby
shipping; A-20s and fighter-bombers continue to pound targets of opportunity
along the NE New Guinea coast from Wewak to Hansa Bay and along the Sepik
River.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 06:47:54 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TRIV] Costal defense guns

Hello, Jim!

Glad to hear from you again.

> Didn't the coastal defense guns at Wake Island turn back a Japanese
> landing attempt and sink/damage some vessels?
> I'm not sure; can somebody enlighten?
>
    Yes. Consult the book "Wake Island Command" by Commander Daniel
C. Cunningham, the commander of the garrison there.

    Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 08:02:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: HELP!!

i am looking for help in three areas and you should also be aware that
the ftp feature is inoperative at our location.

1. I believe the 5-star rank was created in the US military in 1944 but
does anyone have an exact date?  And were all the recipients (Marshall,
Arnold, Nimitz, etc.) confirmed by the Congress on the same day?

2. Does anyone have any information on the TINY TIM rocket of WWII?

3. Some time ago, there was a discussion about replying to mail received
over the net.  Several persons said that when they reply, their mail went
back to the originator and not to the list; someone then suggested a solution
for this problem.  Well, I have the problem and I thought I saved the
solution but now I cannot find it.  Will whomever suggested a solution
please send it again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 07:06:01 -0500
From:    Michael D Wallick <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: USAAF 6-8 MAY 44

What were the Carpetbagger Operations?

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 07:12:16 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: P-61 Black Widow

Hello, Aldo, Emmanuel, Peter and others!

Here goes with the more info on the P-61.

Flight tests with the YP-61s revealed a problem with the dorsal
turret which caused severe tail buffeting whenever the turret was
moved (elevated or rotated). So severe was the problem, that
consideration was given to completely delete the turret from
production P-61s. Several quick fix solutions were tried including
adding small air foils over the guns, deletion of two of the guns and
reinforcing the turret. The easiet solution was to fix (lock) the
turret to fire forward. The problem ironed itself out during the P-
61A program when the turret became unavailable and the aircraft were
built without them.

The YP-61s went into service during October 1943, being issued to the
422nd Night Fighter Squadron at Orlando Air Base, Florida. The
aircraft served as trainers and no YP-61 ever saw combat. The two XP-
61s were relegated to trainer duties at Hawthorne to train mechanics
on the P-61.

What follows now are some remarks about the P-61A program.

                P-61A

Externally, the production P-61A was quite similar to the XP-61
prototype and YP-61 service test aircraft, differing in the slope of
the windscreen/canopy and in the camouflage scheme in which it was
delivered. The sloped windscreen in the pilot and gunner's canopies
used in the XP-61 and YP-61 were replaced by sharply angled
windscreens that featured armored glass panels.

More tomorrow.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 08:28:15 EDT
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: MEDIA: Combat! marathon

Oh you mean how is gorget pronounced in German? :) I thought you meant in
English.....:(  Imagine my embarrassment because of my Fox Pass :)

Please no flames Terry I am only joking and my family is originally from the
panhandle so I would'nt kid you would I?      ;)

H. A. Kurt Luginbyhl
Scientific Computer Specialist
National Museum of Natural History
Washington D.C. 20560

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 09:06:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: USAAF 6-8 MAY 44

 >What were the Carpetbagger Operations?

CARPETBAGGER Operations were the dropping of personnel and supplies
to partisan organizations in Europe.  There was a similar operation
in the Med but I don't know if it had a specific name.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 09:20:38 -0400
From:    Norrin M Ripsman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NAVY: 1936 U-boat listing

WILLIAM L. HUBER - SAA wrote:
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I have a 1937
> rank list of the Kriegsmarine which lists every U-boat in service at
> that time and provides a listing of the officers aboard each one.  If
> that would be helpful let me know.
>
> Cheers, Bill Huber / [email-masked]
>

Hi Bill:

Thanks for your post.  This list would indeed be helpful.

Norrin

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 10:17:30 -0400
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: ref:channel islands

I was talking with a friend yesterday and he was telling me that there
was soon to be a book released about the Channel Islands under German
occupation (specifically about a certain individual I think). Does anyone
know what book he was talking about (i.e. title?) and when the publishing
date is? Thanks in advance,
David Rising

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 08:09:08 -0700
From:    George Diez <[email-masked]>
Subject: Looking for WWII aircraft model repro

Subject says it all, need to find a company that specializes in warbirds
and makes prebuilt collectible scaled reproductions of WWII aircraft.

Thanks in advance,

 George

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 08:38:42 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Sir Dr. Archibald McIndoe

There was a most moving account of Dr McIndoe in a book entitled:
        THE GUINEAPIG CLUB.
Published a long time ago, so may be difficult to find now, but
it contained a good deal of information about the man and his
restorative sugery with burned aircrew.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 11:39:30 -0400
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: machine guns vs cannons.

>
> Interesting article in the April issue of Air International about gun develop-
> ment for aviation...there is apparently now a cannon of 12.7 m.m. I guess that
> this is an issue which will never be settled to everyone's satisfaction.

I'm not sure that it is really a cannon.  I haven't read the article yet, but
the current "Soldier of Fortune" describes an explosive projectile for the
.50BMG which contains a PETN filling.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 12:25:09 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HELP!!

On Fri, 6 May 1994, mc killop wrote:
> 1. I believe the 5-star rank was created in the US military in 1944 but
> does anyone have an exact date?  And were all the recipients (Marshall,
> Arnold, Nimitz, etc.) confirmed by the Congress on the same day?

According to Eisenhower's EISENHOWER, his grandfather learned on 16 Dec
1944 that he had been placed on the five-star promotion list along with
Pershing, Leahy, Marshall, King, MacArhur, Nimitz, Arnold, and Halsey.

> 3. Some time ago, there was a discussion about replying to mail received
> over the net.  Several persons said that when they reply, their mail went
> back to the originator and not to the list; someone then suggested a solution
> for this problem.  Well, I have the problem and I thought I saved the
> solution but now I cannot find it.  Will whomever suggested a solution
> please send it again.

I had this problem but it went away by itself.

Cheers - Dan     <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 12:31:20 -0400
From:    Emery Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Spam in Europe

On May5, Terry Moore wrote---
>
>
>Hello, All!
>
>I was wondering how may ways there are or were in preparing spam.
>Let's see, there are spam-burgers, spam-sandwiches, fried spam,
>boiled spam, etc. Any others?
>
>Terry
>
>Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
>P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
>fax 806-371-5370

Once when I was in the mountains of the Sierra Nevada a bear secured a
significant portion of our food supplies, forcing us to become
innovative in our meal preparation.  It was our last night of a four day
hike.  We had Spam, cheese, tomato sauce and noodles.  We put it all
together and, voila! Spam Parmegian.  It was pretty hideous, and I like
Spam.
        --Em

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 13:24:33 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Spam in Europe

I sometimes dice the SPAM, and immerse it in a cheese omelet. Enough cheese
and garlic salt, and it'e not bad.

SPAM: The Rodney Dangerfield of cuisine. Many love it, but it gets no respect!

                                                                :-))Steve

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 13:37:44 -0400
From:    QUACK <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Looking for WWII aircraft model repro

Check the back pages of Aviation Week & Spy Technology.
If the mag is unavailable, let me know and I'll send you the addresses.

Ron

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 14:28:07 -0400
From:    Kevin Kamphaus <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:Prime Time Search for Nazis

Anyone else catch the Prime Time on The Search for Nazis last night? I found
it interesting how Argentina has opened up thier files on German immigration
right after the war. It also delt with the OSS dept of the USA and the Vatican
supporting the operations because they felt that these ex-Nazis would be
useful in the fight against the Russians and Communist. They also tracked down
a couple of ex-Nazis who had worked in concentration camps and/or committed
murder of civilians. They asked one gent if he thought he was a war criminal,
he responded "no".  Which made me wonder why then was he living in Argentina?
And, why was he living under a different name?

Kevin Kamphaus
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 14:25:04 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: Combat! marathon

Hello, Kurt!

Glad to hear from you once again, and hope you are well.

> Oh you mean how is gorget pronounced in German? :) I thought you meant in
> English.....:(  Imagine my embarrassment because of my Fox Pass :)

    In German, I guess it would be pronounced Gor-get with hard g's
on both syllables. The French is Gor zhay with hard g on the first
syllable with a soft g on the second with an ay (as in hay) finish.

> Please no flames Terry I am only joking and my family is originally from the
> panhandle so I would'nt kid you would I?      ;)

    Glad to know that. I am certain that it hasn't changed much since
your family was here. Where are they from? I know you wouldn't kid me
(ha! ha!). Nor I you, Kurt.

All the best, and please stay in touch.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 15:25:10 EDT
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: The Army / Navy 'E'  award

hello
     Does anyone know how many "E" awards were given for war prduction?
  My grand uncle recived one for his machine shop production. His crew also
 recieved individual awards as well.  Within the past year at yard sales I
    managed to pick up for pennies two Army Navy "E" award pins.  Is there a
     way to tell if they are authentic?
    Someone mentioned to me that there was a documentary on the "E" awards that
   was on the Discovery Channel.  Does anyone know what the name of the program
 was, or when it will be aired again.  I heard that my grand uncle was mentione
d in it. Thank you.  Could you please send your replies to
                     [email-masked]

                                B. Cameron

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 15:37:13 -0400
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Prime Time

Kevin asks if anyone else watched the Nazi hunting segment of the
TV show "Prime Time" last night.  I saw it.  I was interested to
learn about Argentina opening their files, and about the OSS
and Vatican connections, but I thought that those were the more
interesting parts of the segment.  I'm not partial to Sam Donaldson
and his ambush style of journalism.  Confronting a man as he's
trying to get in his car and drive away doesn't often lead to a
balanced presentation, IMHO.  A less adversarial interview,
conducted in a studio or in his home would have probably been
more illuminating.  Instead, Donaldson made it into a sensationalist
piece more suited for the pages of the National Enquirer than
a broadcast national news program.  I would like to have seen more
on the exact hows and whys of what was apparently an organized
escape route, and certainly more on Mengele, than to see a microphone
pointed at a former SS captain while Donaldson asked him penetrating
questions like "Are you a Nazi?"

Just my two cents worth....

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 16:15:35 EDT
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Adjunct Instructor,
         Marist Coll" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: MEDIA: Combat! marathon

>Are you guys talking only about American shows? There's a British comedy
>TV series 'Allo 'Allo. It's got crazy English sense of humor.
>Irek.
Not to mention the hysterically funny "Dad's Army" about the British
Home Guard.

Jonah Triebwasser
Adjunct Instructor
Marist College
Dyson Building (Adult Education)
Poughkeepsie, New York12601
Tel: (914) 575-3331, ext. 7037
E-Mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 18:29:42 -0500
From:    Ronald A Wilson <[email-masked]>
Subject: "E" AWARDS

Text item: Text_1

   The "E" stood for EXCELLENCE and was used by the War
   Department to give a pat to war materials producers for jobs
   well done.  I have the program from, I think, 1942, on the day
   Boeing in Seattle received their "E" pennant.  The program is
   signed by Wm. Boeing, the WA governor, Seatle mayor, and
   several others including a general or two. Was a great $10
   find at an antique store though the signatures are fading.
   Magazine ads from the war years often show the "E" award
   pennant somewhere on their copy.

   Ron Wilson  [email-masked]
   Seattle

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 23:30:53 +0000
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Prime Time Search for Nazis

On Fri, 6 May 1994, Kevin Kamphaus wrote:

--non-contextual material deleted--
> They asked one gent if he thought he was a war criminal,
> he responded "no".  Which made me wonder why then was he living in Argentina?
> And, why was he living under a different name?

To give a speculative answer to this hypothetical question, could it be
perhaps that he had been a member of the Nazi party or SS or any other
organization deemed criminal by the allies? While many in these
organizations were indeed criminals (before you hit that reply key
Sidney), many others (read Oskar Schindler et. al.) were not. They were,
nonetheless, guilty by association, but not of any "war crime". Just a
thought.
David Rising

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 5 May 1994 to 6 May 1994
***********************************************