Subject: WWII-L Digest - 7 May 1994 to 8 May 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 00:00:32 -0400

There are 8 messages totalling 182 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INF: USN Chronology 05-08-94
  2. Number of Airplanes Made 41-45
  3. Number of aircraft produced
  4. REF: TIME LIFE BOOKS ON WWII?
  5. D-Day Decoy
  6. HELP!!
  7. Sir Dr. Archibald McIndoe
  8. V-E Day

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 8 May 1994 01:35:54 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 05-08-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr44.txt

1944
05/08 Mon. Carrier TICONDEROGA (CV-14), is commissioned at
           Newport News, Va.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 8 May 1994 10:12:01 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Number of Airplanes Made 41-45

Can anybody tell me the number of airplanes manufactured from Pearl Harbor
to V-J day?  A specific reference would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

George Bauer
U.S.A.:  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 8 May 1994 14:31:19 -0400
From:    Thomas Seay <[email-masked]>
Subject: Number of aircraft produced

****George Bauer writes***********************************************

Can anybody tell me the number of airplanes manufactured from Pearl Harbor
to V-J day?  A specific reference would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

George Bauer
U.S.A.:  [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I get the following statistics from "Brute Force" by John Ellis (1990)
from table 55 on page 558:

Axis and Allied production of military aircraft from 1939-1945

COMBAT AIRCRAFT
Italy: 5,942
Japan: 45,363
Germany: 94,279

UK: 84,111
USSR: 128,847
USA: 197,760
Can & E. Gp.:6,501

Total Combat Aircraft produced:
        Axis: 145,584
        Allied: 417, 219

This table also has breakdowns for training aircraft and transport
aircraft.

Hope this helps, George.

Jerry Seay
College of Charleston, SC
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 8 May 1994 11:50:50 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: TIME LIFE BOOKS ON WWII?

One TIME special edition on WW2, published in 1984, was laughably
superficial. It succeeded in producing a pictorial "history of WW2"
without any mention whatsoever of Canada.
When the understandable outrage from Canada registered in terms of
very low sales here, and therefore loss of revenue, the book's deficiencies
finally caught the attention at TIME's head office.
However, when the young "editor" responsible was asked how come, he\
shrugged, "Welll, you sort of take Canada for granted."
The experience did not exactly enhance TIME's reputation as being an
authority on the Second World War.  :-)

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 9 May 1994 00:13:42 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: D-Day Decoy

>         How was it that the aircraft, which must have been travelling at 200
> hundred miles an hour, were not detected by the radar?  Even if the radar
> was in it early stages of development I would have thought night fighters
> would have sent to investigate.

Probably they were detected, but then, you expect some aircraft to fly
above the invasion fleet, just as air cover -- so there was nothig
suspicious about that. And there was little that the Germans could do
about it. First, they had very few aircraft at the Atlantic coast; the
allied had achieved complete air superiority. The Germans calculated the
relative strenghts in the air as 50 to 1. There were plans to detach 500
fighters from the defense of the 'Reich' and sent them to France once the
invasion had begun; but these were unavailable when time was there.

Second, electronic warfare had made a considerable advance during the
war. A large effort was made by aircraft carrying jamming equipment, to
disturb both the German radars and the comunications and command system
of the nightfighters, along the length of the Atlantic coast.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 9 May 1994 00:17:34 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HELP!!

On Fri, 6 May 1994, mc killop wrote:

> 2. Does anyone have any information on the TINY TIM rocket of WWII?

The Tiny Tim rocket entered service late in 1944.  It had a cross-section
of 11.75in (298mm), a length of 10ft 3in (3124mm) and firing weight of
1284lb (582.4kg). The warhead had an explosive charge weighing 68kg. Tiny
Tim was subsonic.

Grumman F7F Tigercats could carry three, and Chance-Vought F4U-1D Corsairs
two (photographs show how the latter carried two under the wing centre
section).  In mid-1944 it was considered to use the F4Us of MAG-51 to
attack V-2 sites in Europe with the 'Tiny Tim' missile.  This plan was
called 'Project Danny'.  But Tiny Tim was not ready in time and the plan
was abandoned. Later the weapon saw limited use in the Pacific.

> over the net.  Several persons said that when they reply, their mail went
> back to the originator and not to the list; someone then suggested a solution

The mail should arrive with both a 'From:' and a 'Reply To:' address in
the header. If your mailer does not offer you the option of using the
latter address, then get another one, or manually edit the address...

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 8 May 1994 16:38:58 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Sir Dr. Archibald McIndoe

Do I have a deal for *you* !
AS of now, rest assured that most of the speade-work has been done for
you.
`The reference that will help your researches enormously is:
        FACES IN THE FIRE: THE BIOGRAPHY OF SIR ARCHIBALD MCINDOE.
        by Leonard Mosely, pub. by Wiedenfield & Nicholson, London, 1962.
Go sicc!
Regards -- Sidney Allinson, Vancouver island, Canada.

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 8 May 1994 18:16:39 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: V-E Day

Today marks the 49th anniversary of V-E Day -- Victory in Europe by
the Allies in the Second World War. Today marks the end of Nazi
tyrrany, the worst occupation the Europe ever endured in history.
Yet, this momentous day gets scarcely a mention in North American
media.
Sic transit gloria...

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 7 May 1994 to 8 May 1994
***********************************************