Subject: WWII-L Digest - 30 May 1994 to 31 May 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 00:01:07 -0400

There are 39 messages totalling 1742 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. ATTENTION: Bud-nipping attempt to follow: (2)
  2. GEN/MEDIA:Stalingrad Film?
  3. INF: USN Chronology 05-31-94
  4. USAAF 27-31 MAY 1944 (2)
  5. INF: 50 Year Ago Today Articles
  6. Memorial Day, 1994 (5)
  7. The B-26 Marauder at Utah Beach
  8. ADMIN: Bounced mail from [email-masked]
  9. INF: Regia Marina, Part 5
 10. *Geography* thesis on Nisei internment?! (2)
 11. Joe's suggestion of "camps"
 12. Criteria of Greatness
 13. Black Widow Squadrons
 14. B-26 Marauder
 15. Re[2]: Memorial Day, 1994 (4)
 16. D-Day and Balloons
 17. INF: 50 Years Ago Today - Archive
 18. GEN: FRENCH DAIRY FARMERS THREATEN D-DAY CEREMONIES
 19. U.S. Casualties (2)
 20. Stalag Luft III
 21. Ireland In WW2
 22. Re[3]: Memorial Day, 1994
 23. Battle of Bulge 11th Armored Div.
 24. *Geography* thes...
 25. Restoration of Dolittle's B-25B (2)
 26. I-80 & WWII
 27. dday & Chicago

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 30 May 1994 22:53:23 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: ATTENTION: Bud-nipping attempt to follow:

With regards to Internment Center or Concentration Camp:

> Want me to continue this friendly debate?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Let me say again:  NO!

You've just recently joined this list.  If you wish to see where this
path led on an earlier occasion, then have the listserver send you the
log files from the second, third and fourth weeks of March of this
year.  It's not a pretty site.

This Discussion List almost PERISHED as a result of this "friendly
debate".  Granted there were other circumstances, namely the "forced
retirement" of the list owner ;-) (that's for you Larry), but this
"debate" and it's bitter aftertaste made the death of this list a real
possibility.

Joe published "no-no" number 2 for a very good reason.  Please heed
his advice.

Sorry if this sounds like preaching...

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA 22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 08:20:55 GMT
From:    Johannes van Vuren <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN/MEDIA:Stalingrad Film?

The Stalingrad film was released a couple of months ago in London, England.
I was told the video will not be available until the end of the year.

Worth seeing! Marvellous realism in the photography. Unfortunately, the drama
did not touch upon the commanders and decision makers. Nor was the Russian side
portrayed in any depth.

Not to be missed.

Johannes van Vuren,
Canterbury, England.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 02:57:18 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 05-31-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
05/31 Wed.  Japanese naval vessels sunk:
             Submarine RO-105, by destroyers HAZELWOOD (DD-531)
              and MCCORD (DD-534), destroyer escorts ENGLAND
              (DD-635), GEORGE (DE-697), and RABY (de-698),
              north of Bismarck Archipelago,
              00 d. 47' N., 149 d. 56' E.
             Frigate ISHIGAKI, by submarine HERRING (SS-233),
              North Pacific area,
              48 d. 36' N., 151 30' E.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 07:29:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: USAAF 27-31 MAY 1944

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
27-31 MAY 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  L-1, Stinson Vigilant
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow
  P-70, Douglas

SATURDAY, 27 MAY 1944

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 2 bombers fly weather and armed photo
reconnaissance and bomb Ushishiru Island, Kurile Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): 15 B-24s bomb Pakokku and Nyaung-u, Burma.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 24 rocket-firing P-40s hit the
barracks area W of Sinyang, military installations and trucks at Nanchang, and
troops, trucks, barracks, and warehouse area in the Puchi vicinity.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 373: 1,126 bombers and 710
fighters are dispatched against rail targets in France and Germany and gun
batteries in France; 24 bombers and 7 fighters are lost; the fighters claim
35.5-1-5 aircraft in the air and 9-0-2 on the ground:
  1. 344 B-17s are dispatched to marshalling yards at Ludwigshafen (150 bomb)
and Mannheim (125 bomb); 18 hit Lachen/Apeyerdorf, 19 hit the Mannheim area
and 6 hit targets of opportunity; 12 B-17s are lost and 98 damaged; 2 airmen
are KIA, 5 WIA and 114 MIA.
  2. 269 B-17s are dispatched to marshalling yards at Karlsruhe (98 bomb) and
Strasbourg, France (49 bomb) and aviation factory at Strasbourg/Meinau,
France (53 bomb); 7 B-17s are lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 89 damaged; 1
airman is KIA, 3 WIA and 70 MIA.
  3. 69 of 86 B-24s bomb aviation factory at Woippy, France; 3 others hit
targets of opportunity; 1 airman is WIA.
  4. 369 B-24s are dispatched to marshalling yards at Saarbrucken (145 bomb),
Neunkirchen (66 bomb) and Kons/Karthus (72 bomb); 3 others hit targets of
opportunity; 5 B-24s are lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 18 damaged; 3
airmen are KIA, 4 WIA and 50 MIA.
  5. 36 of 40 B-17s bomb Fecamp gun battery, France without loss.
  6. 18 of 18 B-24s bomb St Valery, France without loss.
Escort is provided by 170 P-38s, 238 P-47s and 302 P-51s; 1 P-38 is lost
(pilot is MIA) and 1 damaged beyond repair; P-47s claim 1-0-1 Luftwaffe
aircraft in the air and 2-0-0 on the ground without loss; P-51s claim
34.5-1-4 aircraft in the air and 7-0-2 on the ground with the loss of 6
P-51s (pilots are MIA), another is damaged beyond repair and 8 damaged. 425
Ninth Air Force aircraft also support the mission; they claim 4-0-0 with the
lost of 1.
  Mission 374: 24 of 24 P-47s hit a barge convoy between Willenstadt and
Meerije, The Netherlands; 1 P-47 is damaged and 2 barges destroyed.
  Mission 375: 3 of 4 B-17s drop leaflets in Belgium and France without loss.
  788th and 850th Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), VIII Air Force Composite
Command attached to 801st Bombardment Group (Provisional), move from
Rackheath and Cheddington respectively to Harrington, England with B-24s; the
788th flies CARPETBAGGER missions over Europe and the 850th will commence
these missions on 31 May.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): About 590 B-26s attack railroad,
bridges, and marshalling yards in France. P-47s bomb targets in NW Europe.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Almost 700 bombers hit France;
B-17s bomb the marshalling yard at Avignon; B-24s bomb airfields at
Montpellier and Salon and marshalling yards at Nimes, Marseille/St Charles
and Marseille/La Blancharde; escort is provided by P-38s and P-51s.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers
concentrate their efforts against lines of communications in the Orvieto
area; A-20s bomb a storage area; fighter-bombers pound a much reduced flow of
motor transport behind enemy lines and hit railroads, gun positions, bridges,
and targets of opportunity and behind the battle area, hitting targets at
Subiaco, Sora, Tivoli, Frosinone, Capena, and Orvieto, W of Bracciano Lake,
between Sulmona and San Benedetto de Marsi and at several other points.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): 24 B-24s from Kwajalein Atoll
and 52 B-25s from Engebi Island pound Ponape Island.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): On New Britain Island,
about 200 AAF, US Marine Corps (USMC) and US Navy (USN) aircraft (fighters,
dive-bombers, and B-25s) are sent against gun positions on Hospital Point;
160+ aircraft bomb the targets with more than 90 tons (99.2 tonnes) of
explosives, destroying or damaging several of the guns; other fighters hit
targets of opportunity in the Rabaul area and a barge off SW New Ireland
Island; and 4 B-24s bomb Tobera. On Bougainville Island, AAF fighters attack
beached barges in the Chabai area and in Buka Passage, Aku and Nova
Plantation and a bridge over the Oamai River; detachment of 419th Night
Fighter Squadron, 18th Fighter Group, operating from Bougainville since Jan
with P-61s, returns to base on Guadalcanal Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea, Babo Airfield
and Biak Island are pounded by 170+ B-24s and B-25s; after the aerial and
naval bombardment, Allied amphibious forces land on Biak in the Bosnik area,
secure the beachhead, and gain control of a trail over ridges to the inland
plateau to the N. About 170 A-20s, P-38s, P-40s and B-25s blast the Wewak
area.

SUNDAY, 28 MAY 1944

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 2 B-24s fly reconnaissance and drop bombs on
Shimushu and Matsuwa Islands. 1 B-25 and P-38s fly a guardship coverage
mission, 2 other B-25s fly a negative anti-shipping sweep.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 10 B-24s pound Kalemyo while 8
B-25s hit Tiddim road; 50+ fighter-bombers and a few B-25s hit various
targets at or near Mogaung, Myitkyina, Hopin and Sahmaw; 76 fighter-bombers
and 24 B-25s bomb marshalling yards at Namma and Katha, hit several targets
in the Mohnyin-Hopin area, and bomb a railroad between Naba and Namma. 530th
Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 311th Fighter-Bomber Group, based at Dinjan, India
with P-51s sends a detachment to operated from Kurmitola, India.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 14 P-40s in support of ground
forces in the Salween area strafe oil storage at Hsiangta, bomb and strafe
the Watien area, and destroy a bridge and damage another on the Shweli River
N of Tengchung; and 2 B-25s sink a patrol boat and damage another near Saint
John Island.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 376: 1,341 bombers and 697
fighters are dispatched to hit oil targets in Germany; 32 bombers and 9
fighters are lost; they claim 64-30-31 Luftwaffe aircraft:
  1. 610 B-17s are dispatched against an oil targets at Ruhland/Schwarz-Heide
(38 bomb) and aircraft factory at Dessau (12 bomb); secondary targets are
aviation factories at Zwickau (15 bomb) and Leipzig (28 bomb); 14 bomber hit
Bohlen, 15 hit Meissen, 19 hit Brandis/Polenz Wusten-Sachsen Airfield, 12 hit
Frankfurt marshalling yard, 32 hit Ubigau, 20 hit Dessau, 4 hit Frankfurt, 5
hit Camburg and 22 hit targets of opportunity; they claim 20-21-18 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 17 B-17s are lost, 1 is damaged beyond repair and 107 damaged; 3
airmen are KIA, 15 WIA and 155 MIA.
  2. 255 B-17s are dispatched to an oil dump at Konigsburg/Magdeburg (105
bomb) and oil industry at Magdeburg/Rothensee (55 bomb); 17 hit Dessau and 6
bomb the marshalling yard at Gera; they claim 16-8-6 Luftwaffe aircraft; 9
B-17s are lost and 64 damaged; 3 airmen are KIA, 2 WIA and 90 MIA.
  3. 106 B-24s are dispatched to Lutzkendorf/Halle (66 bomb); 10 hit Wetzlar
and 6 hit a target of opportunity; 3 B-24s are lost and 16 damaged; 1 airman
is WIA and 3 MIA.
  4. 311 B-24s are dispatched to oil targets at Merseburg/Leuna (63 bomb) and
Zeitz-Troglitz (187 bomb); 10 hit Limburg, 8 hit Memmingen, 9 hit Saalfeld
and 10 hit targets of opportunity; they claim 1-0-0 Luftwaffe aircraft; 3
B-24s are lost and 23 damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 1 WIA and 26 MIA.
  5. 58 of 59 B-17s hit Cologne/Eifeltor marshalling yard without loss; glide
bombs are used but the weapon proves unsuccessful.
Escort is provided by 182 P-38s, 208 P-47s and 307 P-51s; no P-38s are lost;
P-47s claim 2-0-1 Luftwaffe aircraft in the air and 0-0-1 on the ground with
the loss of 4 P-47s (pilots are MIA), 2 damaged beyond repair and 3 damaged;
P-51s claim 25-1-5 Luftwaffe aircraft with the loss of 5 (pilots are MIA), 1
damaged beyond repair and 8 damaged. 527 Ninth Air Force fighters also fly
escort and claim 33-0-10 Luftwaffe aircraft in the air and 5-0-7 on the
ground for the loss of 5 fighters.
  Mission 377: 5 of 5 B-17s drop leaflets in Belgium and Norway.
  22 B-24s are dispatched on CARPETBAGGER missions; 1 is lost.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 600+ B-26s and A-20s bomb
marshalling and naval yards, railway bridges and V-weapon sites in France
and Belgium; 8 aircraft are lost. P-47s dive-bomb several targets in the same
general area.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Italy, 100+ B-24s bomb Genoa
harbor and Vercelli marshalling yard and troop concentrations at Niksic,
Yugoslavia. In Yugoslavia, P-38s fly fighter sweeps against airfields in the
Kurilovec area and vehicles, communications lines and targets of opportunity
in the Knin-Bihac-Banjaluka area. HQ 332d Fighter Group and 301st and 302d
Fighter Squadrons move from Capodichino to Ramitelli Airfield, Italy with
P-47s.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers hit
bridges, viaducts, and railroad lines at several locations in C Italy,
including Narni, Cortana, Terni, Ladispoli, Torrita di Siena, Magnano, Recco,
Arezzo, Rapallo, Vado, Bucine, and Castiglion Fiorentino; light bombers hit
an ammunition dump while fighter-bombers continue close support to advancing
ground forces, encountering considerably less enemy motor transport behind
lines because of the heavy attrition of recent days; many roads, railroads
and bridges are hit as well as numerous other targets along the battlefront
which now stretches from the W coast SW of Carroceto to the NE almost to
Valmontone, then SW to just above Sezze, and from there ambles E to NE to the
E coast below Pescara.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): 29 B-25s stage from Eniwetok
Atoll, bomb Jaluit Atoll, and land at Makin Island. B-24s from Eniwetok Atoll
bomb Saipan and Guam Islands, Marianas Islands; those bombing Guam turn S to
Los Negros Island to rearm while the others return to Eniwetok. B-25s flying
from Engebi Island bomb Mille Atoll, Marshall Islands. B-24s escort USN photo
planes over the Marianas Islands.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): On New Britain Island, 3
B-24s, followed by 23 B-25s and 12 P-38s, blast the airfield at Lakunai; 33
P-39s and P-40s join 40+ USN dive bombers in a strike on Tobera airstrip. 5
B-25s hit Namatanai supply and personnel area on New Ireland Island. On
Bougainville Island, fighter-bombers hit the Tsundan supply area, huts and
buildings at Gohi, Nova and Monoitu, suspected barge hideout near Tonolai,
and AA guns on Ballale Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea, B-24s and
B-25s in support of ground forces on Biak Island hit villages, supply areas,
troop concentrations and gun positions on Biak, Noemfoor, and Japen Islands;
A-20s, B-25s, and fighter-bombers blast troop concentrations, AA positions
and supply dumps in the Wewak area; A-20s supporting ground forces in heavy
fighting in the Sarmi area, hit positions with minimum-level strikes. B-24s
bomb Boela, Ceram Island; and 421st Night Fighter Squadron, V Fighter
Command, based at Nadzab with P-70s, sends a detachment to operate from Wakde
Island. Thirteenth Air Task Force B-24s bomb the airfield on Woleai Atoll.

MONDAY, 29 MAY 1944

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): At dawn 2 B-25s photograph and bomb Shimushu
and Matsuwa Islands (secondary). During the early afternoon 2 B-25s escorted
by 4 P-38s strafe, bomb and sink a patrol boat in the Kurile Islands. Later 4
other B-25s unsuccessfully attack 2 vessels off Shimushu.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 27 B-25s and 40+ fighter-bombers
pound troops and positions at Bhamo and Mohnyin, the railroad at Mogaung and
warehouses at Sahmaw.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 7 B-24s pound areas along the Burma Road, 3
bomb the town of Wanling, Burma, and 2 attack a convoy of Hainan Island,
China, claiming a 250-ft (76 m) freighter sunk. In China, 26 P-40s and P-38s
attack troops at Lushan, pound barracks and demolish 7 trucks at Yuanchu,
bomb and strafe the general area at Nanchang and destroy several buildings
along the Hsiang River N of Changsha; and 19th Liaison Squadron, Fourteenth
Air Force, attached to Y Force, moves from Ondal, India to Kunming with L-1s
and L-5s.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 379: 993 bombers and 673
fighters are dispatched to attack aircraft plants and oil installations in
Germany and Poland; they claim 117-38-49 Luftwaffe aircraft; 34 bombers and
10 fighters are lost:
  1. 443 B-24s are dispatched to hit an oil terminal at Politz (224 bomb)
and airfield and aircraft assembly plant at Tutow (167 bomb); 14 hit Rensburg
Airfield, 9 hit Misdroy and 1 hits Schwerin; they claim 29-15-10 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 17 B-24s are lost, 3 damaged beyond repair and 150 damaged; 2
airmen are KIA, 10 WIA and 161 MIA.
  2. 251 B-17s are dispatched to hit aviation industry targets at Leipzig/
Mockau (149 bomb) and Leipzig/Heiterblick (50 bomb); 4 others hit targets of
opportunity; they claim 11-4-5 Luftwaffe aircraft; 9 B-17s are lost and 80
damaged; 3 airmen are WIA and 90 MIA.
  3. 299 B-17s are dispatched to hit aviation industry targets at Krzesinki
(91 bomb) and Posen (58 bomb), Poland and Sorau (52 bomb) and Cottbus (48
bomb), Germany; 19 others hit Schneidemuhl Airfield and 2 hit targets of
opportunity; they claim 22-18-14 Luftwaffe aircraft; 8 B-17s are lost and 97
damaged; 5 airmen are WIA and 67 MIA.
  Escort is provided by 184 P-38s, 187 P-47s and 302 P-51s; the P-38s claim
none and none are lost; the P-47s claim 1-0-1 Luftwaffe aircraft with the
loss of 4 P-47s (3 pilots are MIA) and 3 damaged; the P-52s claim 38-1-4
Luftwaffe aircraft in the air and 16-0-15 on the ground with the loss of 6
P-51s (5 pilots are MIA) and 6 damaged. 592 Ninth Air Force fighters also
support the mission; they claim 1-0-0 Luftwaffe aircraft and lose 2 fighters.
  23 B-24s are dispatched on CARPETBAGGER missions; 1 is lost.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 450+ B-26s and A-20s bomb airfields,
marshalling yards, railroad bridges, coastal battery and NOBALL (V-weapon)
targets in France and Belgium. 200+ P-47s bomb targets in the same area.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 829 bombers (largest number of
bombers completing attacks in a single day up to this time) bomb targets in
Austria and Yugoslavia; B-17s and B-24s attack an aircraft factory at
Wollesdorf, Austria; B-24s also attack industrial areas at Wiener Neustadt
and Atzgersdorf, Austria and troop concentrations at Poderica, Yugoslavia.
P-38s and P-51s escort the Austrian missions while P-38s accompany B-24s to
Yugoslav targets and afterwards strafe numerous targets of opportunity;
fighter opposition over Yugoslavia is negligible but around 150 fighters
attempt interception over Austria, principally in the Wiener-Neustadt area;
23 AAF aircraft are lost; the bombers and fighters claim 60+ fighters shot
down.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, B-25s bomb rail bridges
near Bucine and at Poggibonsi and Lisciano; B-26s hit viaducts at Terni and
near Stifone, railroad junction and marshalling yard at Terentola, Castiglion
Fiorentino bridge, the Voltri shipyards and a bridge nearby; A-20s hit troops
in bivouac and bomb a supply dump; fighter-bombers continue to blast motor
transport between the battlelines and Rome; and C-47s evacuate 400+ wounded
from the Anzio area.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): Operations are restricted to
photo missions over Wotje, Mille, and Jaluit Atolls.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): Major General James T
Moore, USMC, takes over as Commander Air Solomons (COMAIRSOLS).
  On New Britain Island, almost 100 B-25s, P-38s, P-39s and a variety of USN
aircraft pound the Rabaul area, with AAF aircraft concentrating on the Nordup
supply area and the others concentrating on Hospital Point AA positions. On
Bougainville Island, 24 P-39s and 16 P-40s blast occupied areas W of Tinputs
Harbor and at Arigua Plantation.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea, B-24s pound
gun positions, defense areas and troops, as the first tank battle of the SWPA
is fought W of Parai on Biak Island; other B-24s pound airfields on nearby
mainland at Timoeka and Babo; A-20s, B-25s and P-47s, along with Royal
Australian Air Force (RAAF) aircraft and a few B-24s from the Biak strike,
saturate the Wewak area with continuous air strikes; in the Wakde Island-
Sarmi battle zone, B-25s and P-40s hit forces in the Mount Saskin area; B-24s
of the Thirteenth Air Task Force bomb Woleai Atoll and other nearby islands
in the Caroline Islands.

TUESDAY, 30 MAY 1944

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 1 B-25 and 2 P-38s fly guardship cover.

  ZONE OF INTERIOR (HQ USAAF): All Fighter-Bomber Groups/Squadrons are
redesignated Fighter Groups/Squadrons.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 9 B-25s attack the railroad
between Namma and Hopin; B-25s and fighter-bombers fly 100 sorties against
railroad targets, hitting tracks, rolling stock, stations, and bridges in the
vicinities of Mogaung, Myitkyina, Hopin and Loilaw; the Imphal-Tiddim road is
bombed by 3 B-24s.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 48 fighters support ground forces
in the Mamien Pass-Watien-Chiangtso area; 31 supply aircraft drop food and
ammunition to friendly forces in the Mamien Pass area; 13 B-25s damage the
Wan Pa-Hsa, Burma bridge and bomb Lungling, destroying 6 warehouses and
starting several big fires; 8 P-51s hit railroad targets of opportunity on
sweeps from Peking, Chengting, Pingting, Linfen and Puchou; 16 P-38s and
P-51s dive-bomb installations at the W end of the Nanchang bridge, causing
much damage; 5 B-25s and 12 P-40s strafe troops, supplies, and occupied
strongpoints at Loyang and at several locations along the Yangtze and Yellow
Rivers; Japanese air strikes on Hengyang and Liangshan Airfields destroy 4
AAF aircraft, damage several others, and blow up a fuel dump.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO): Loading of assault forces for Operation
OVERLORD (invasion of Normandy) begins.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 380: 928 bombers and 672
fighters in 6 forces are dispatched to hit aircraft industry targets in
Germany and marshalling yards in France and Belgium; they claim 65-8-6
Luftwaffe aircraft; 12 bombers and 9 fighters are lost:
  1. 268 B-17s are dispatched to attack aviation industry targets at Dessau
(83 bomb), Halberstadt (107 bomb) and Oschersleben (51 bomb); 5 other hit
targets of opportunity; they claim 8-5-1 Luftwaffe aircraft; 9 B-17s are lost
and 81 damaged; 2 airmen are WIA and 86 MIA.
  2. 369 B-24s are dispatched to hit aviation depots at Oldenburg (135 bomb),
Rotenburg (147 bomb) and Zwischenahn (71 bomb); 1 other hits a target of
opportunity; 1 B-24 is lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 36 damaged; 1 airman
is KIA, 2 WIA and 9 MIA.
  3. 46 of 91 B-24s hit Munster/Handorf Airfield and 36 others hit Diepholz
Airfield; 2 B-24s are lost, 1 is damaged beyond repair and 36 damaged; 1
airman is KIA, 6 WIA and 9 MIA.
  4. 122 of 126 B-17s hit French marshalling yards; 62 hit Reims and 60 hit
Troyes; 24 B-17s are damaged.
  5. 39 of 40 B-17s hit Brussels/Schaerbeck marshalling yard, Belgium; 12
B-17s are damaged.
  6. 76 of 84 B-17s hit V-weapon sites in the Pas de Calais, France; 12 B-17s
are damaged; 3 airmen are KIA, 2 WIA and 10 MIA.
  Escort is provided by 186 P-38s, 184 P-47s and 302 P-51s; 3 P-38s are
damaged; P-47s claim 2-0-0 Luftwaffe aircraft with 1 loss (pilot is MIA);
P-51s claim 48-3-2 Luftwaffe aircraft in the air and 7-0-3 on the ground with
the loss of 8 P-51s (pilots are MIA), 2 damaged beyond repair and 4 damaged;
637 Ninth Air Force fighters support the mission; they claim 8-0-2 aircraft
in the air and 0-0-4 on the ground for the loss of 3.
  100 P-47s are dispatched to bomb 4 rail bridges in NW France; 37 hit
Longueil bridge, 26 hit Beaumont-sur-Oise bridge, 23 hit Canly-le-Jouque
bridge and 12 hit the Creil bridge; 1 P-47 is lost (pilot is MIA).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, 320+ B-26s attack
airfields at Denain/Prouvy and Mantes/Limay, and highway bridges at Meulan
and Rouen. Nearly 400 P-47s dive-bomb targets in NW Europe.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Nearly 500 bombers attack
targets in Austria and Yugoslavia; B-17s attack the marshalling yard at
Zagreb, Yugoslavia; B-24s attack aircraft factories at Wels, Ebreichadorf,
Pottendorf, Neudorfl and Neunkirchen, Austria; P-38s and P-51s provide
escort and many of the fighters strafe targets of opportunity in areas around
Zut, Brod, Susak, Bihac, Medak, and along the Karlovac-Livno road, Yugoslavia.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, B-26s and B-25s destroy
or damage 10 bridges, bridge approaches and viaducts which affect supply
routes to the battlefronts across C Italy; light and fighter-bombers blast
motor transports and gun positions in the battle area and hit targets in and
around towns in the area, including Guidonia, Ariccia, Alatri and Veroli; and
C-47s evacuate wounded from Nettuno.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-25s from Engebi Island bomb
Ponape Island, which is also hit by B-24s returning from the shuttle base on
Los Negros Island. 2 forces of B-24s from Kwajalein Atoll strike Truk Atoll
and Wake Island.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): On New Britain Island, 23
B-25s bomb personnel areas NE of Tobera; 40+ P-38s, P-40s and P-39s bomb a
supply dump near Ratawul. On Bougainville island, 33 P-39s and 8 P-40s
demolish bridges at Kirinani and over the Siaibai River; a log ramp over the
Miwo River is damaged and a road between the Purlata River and Kiaraba is
hit; the fighter-bombers also attack Buka runway on Buka Island, Chabai barge
anchorage and Soraken supply area.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): On New Guinea, B-25s hit
enemy positions as fighting on Biak Island slacks temporarily; other B-25s
bomb the airfield and nearby AA guns and fuel at Timoeka; B-24s and A-20s hit
Japen Island; in the Wakde Island-Sarmi battle area, B-25s bomb and strafe
the shoreline from the NW of Sawar to Sarmi Point; the Wewak area is again
blasted by 70+ A-20s, B-24s and B-25s, along with RAAF aircraft. Thirteenth
Air Task Force B-24s hit Truk Atoll and Woleai Atolls and Puluwat Atoll,
Caroline Islands.

WEDNESDAY, 31 MAY 1944

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): During the morning 2 B-25s and 4 P-38s fly
guardship cover. A bomber flies a weather mission while another reconnoiters
and hits Buroton Bay, Kurile Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 12 B-25s hit the Tiddim road; 130+
B-25s, A-36s, P-51s, and P-40s hit troops, defensive positions, artillery
emplacements, boats, railroad facilities, and villages in the Myitkyina-
Mogaung area, buildings at Tahona, river boats at Lonkin and Kamaing, docks
at Bhamo, railroad cars at Namti, and positions NW of Mohnyin; 21 other B-25s
and fighter-bombers pound the Bhamo town area and airfield; and 10 B-24s bomb
Ye-u, demolishing several buildings.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 51 P-51s and P-40s pound shipping along the
Yangtze River, claiming direct hits on 5 small ships; 16 P-51s and P-40s bomb
Kweiyi and Yoyang and installations on the river to the S; 10 P-38s bomb the
bridge and warehouse area at Nanchang; 12 P-40s bomb Pingkiang; 4 B-25s bomb
Hankow airfield, Pailochi, and motor convoy at Yoyang; 6 other B-25s knock
out the bridge at Kengluang; 13 B-24s pound the town of Lungling, causing big
fires, while 14 B-24s, supported by P-40s blast the warehouse area at Lashio,
Burma; 4 P-40s destroy several aircraft during strafing runs on Linfen and
Hohsien Airfields.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 382: 1,029 bombers and 682
fighters attack marshalling yards and aircraft industry targets in Germany
and rail targets in France and Belgium; the fighters claim 4-0-1 Luftwaffe
aircraft on the ground; 1 bomber and 3 fighters are lost:
  1. Of 246 B-17s, 36 hit Luxeuil marshalling yard, France; 30 hit Florennes/
Juzaine Airfield and 4 hit Namur marshalling yard, Belgium; 23 hit Gilze-
Rijen Airfield and 12 hit Roosendaal marshalling yard, The Netherlands;
and 3 hit targets of opportunity; 45 B-17s are damaged; 1 airman is KIA and 4
WIA.
  2. 287 B-17s are dispatched to hit marshalling yards in Germany; 88 hit
Osnabruck, 54 hit Schwerte, 52 hit Oeske and 50 hit Hamm; 1 B-17 is lost and
58 damaged; 1 airman is WIA and 10 MIA.
  3. 491 B-24s are dispatched to hit rail targets in France and Belgium but
are recalled due to clouds; 1 B-24 is damaged beyond repair and 7 damaged.
  4. 4 of 5 B-24s hit rail bridges at Beaumont-sur-Oise and bridges at Melun
without loss; Azon radio-controlled bombs are unsuccessfully used against the
bridges.
  Escort is provided by 193 P-38s, 180 P-47s and 309 P-51s; P-38s claim 1-0-0
Luftwaffe aircraft on the ground with 1 P-38 being damaged; 1 P-47 is lost
(pilot is MIA) and 3 are damaged; P-51s claim 3-0-1 aircraft on the ground
with 2 P-51s lost (pilots are MIA). 674 Ninth Air Force fighters provide
support; no claims or losses.
  Fighter-bomber missions against German airfields with 500 lb (227 kg) and
100 lb (45 kg) GP bombs:
  1. 78 of 81 P-47s hit Gutersloh Airfield; they claim 5-1-3 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 1 P-47 is damaged.
  2. 35 P-38s attack Rehein/Hopsten Airfield using DROOPSNOOT methods; they
claim 5-0-0 aircraft on the ground.
  22 B-24s are dispatched on CARPETBAGGER missions over France without loss.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): About 200 B-26s bomb lock and
highway bridges at Bennecourt, Courcelles-sur-Seine and Rouen, France.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 480+ B-17s and B-24s bomb oil
refineries and communications targets in the Ploesti, Rumania area; fighters
fly 200+ sorties in support; 15 bombers are lost to flak and fighters; 40+
enemy aircraft are shot down.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers of the
42d and 57th Bombardment Wings give close support to ground forces in fierce
fighting S of Rome, hitting numerous troop concentrations, roads and town
areas, including points in or near Albano Laziale, Genzano di Roma, Ariccia,
Frascati, Civitella Roveta, Subiaco, Cave, Nettuno and Grottaferrata; XII
Tactical Air Command A-20s and fighter-bombers blast targets in the same
general area, hitting troops, bridges, supplies, guns and vehicles at or near
Rocca di Papa, Ariccia, Marino, Frascati, Grottaferrata, Lanuvio, Montalto di
Castro and Manciano; and C-47s evacuate casualties from Anzio.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): On New Britain Island, 12
P-38s bomb Vulcan Crater barge hideout; 22 P-39s and 12 P-40s blast supply
dumps near Ratawul; 33 B-25s pound Rabaul truck concentrations, wharf area,
and NE section of town. 5 B-25s bomb targets of opportunity along the NW
coast of New Ireland Island. On Bougainville Island, P-39s bomb several
targets, including Soraken, Arigua, and several barges and vehicles.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): In New Guinea, B-25s and
A-20s hit the Babo area, bomb the airfield near the Ransiki River, cover the
beachhead on Biak Island and attack fishing boats on the shore of Japen
Island; P-47s and B-25s pound villages, barges, and gun positions in the
Wakde Island-Sarmi battle area; B-24s, P-39s and RAAF aircraft continue to
hit the Wewak and Hansa Bay areas.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 07:42:23 -0500
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Year Ago Today Articles

For about a month now I've been writing daily "50 Year Ago Today" articles
that I have been posting to the Usenet newsgroup
soc.history.war.world-war-ii. The articles have been very well received
over there so I thought I would see if the folks on the mailing list
would be interested in reading the daily articles. I am also maintaining an
FTP site where past articles are saved. I realize there are already
several others posting similar articles. One is 50 years ago this week
and another is the naval chronology which I repeat in my articles. I will
post a couple of days worth of articles. If you would like for me to
continue with the practice, please let me know. John Davis

=============================================================================

On 31-MAY-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Eastern Front - German attacks in Rumania continue with strong tank, infantry
     and air attacks.

Italian Front - The American VI and II Corps receive orders to mount an
     offensive against the Alban Hills. Velletri and Monte Artemiso falls to
     the U.S. 36th Division in the Anzio sector after a hard struggle. The
     capture of Veletri puts a gap in the Caesar Line. Lariano is captured by
     the 85th Division (II Corps). The Canadian I Corps capture Frosinone and
     the X Crops captures Sora.

New Guinea - The Americans have pulled in their defensive perimeter in the
     Wadke area to have a greater concentration of fire.

Burma/China - Supplies are air dropped to the Chinese in the river Salween
     area.

Naval Dispatches
----------------
Japanese submarine sunk, RO-105, by destroyers HAZELWOOD (DD-531) and MCCORD
     (DD-534) alogn with destroyer escorts ENGLAND (DE-635), GEORGE (DE-697)
     and RABY (DE-698) north of the Bismarck Archipelago.

Japanese frigate sunk, ISHIGAKI, by submarine HERRING (SS-233) in North
     Pacific area.

The Homefront
-------------
Another Ward Strike Threatened - Officers of the Chicago local CIO have
     threatened another strike against Montgomery Ward and Company unless the
     National War Labor Board orders the company to continue the contract that
     expired last December.

1,000 Saved From Grounded Transport - The Navy transport HENRY BERGH, bringing
     Navy men from the Pacific for rest and reassignment ran aground in fog on
     the Farallon Islands, 30 miles from San Francisco. All passengers and
     crew were safely rescued.

Landing Craft 70% Over Goal - The Navy says production of invasion landing
     craft through May 31 is 70% over last Novembers estimates.

Outstanding May Films - "Going My Way", "The Adventures Of Mark Twain",
     "Gaslight", "The Hitler Gang" and "The White Cliffs Of Dover".

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 08:52:56 -0400
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF 27-31 MAY 1944

Jack McKillop writes:
> SATURDAY, 27 MAY 1944
>   STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 373: 1,126 bombers and 710
> fighters are dispatched against rail targets in France and Germany and gun
> batteries in France; 24 bombers and 7 fighters are lost; the fighters claim
> 35.5-1-5 aircraft in the air and 9-0-2 on the ground:

        I just have to ask: how does one claim half an aircraft destroyed?
Is the other half still flyable?  :-)
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Mulligan!?  On time and on target!?  Cripes!

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 09:51:21 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Memorial Day, 1994

>From those of us who receive less than appreciative glances from in-laws,etc
whenever we seek that quiet solitude to pray with gratitude for our soldiers,
seamen and airmen:

Humble thanx for all you've done. May we be as worthy when our time comes...

                                                        Steven E. Pudlo

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 10:16:01 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: The B-26 Marauder at Utah Beach

Thank you, Dan Ford, for a superior article! I enjoyed it more due to
your presence on this list.

                                                                Steven E. Pudlo

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 10:21:50 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Memorial Day, 1994

>>From those of us who receive less than appreciative glances from in-laws,etc
>whenever we seek that quiet solitude to pray with gratitude for our soldiers,
>seamen and airmen:
>
>Humble thanx for all you've done. May we be as worthy when our time comes...
>
>                                                        Steven E. Pudlo

Not to be picky but I'd feel more comfortable with the words "worthy IF it
comes our time"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 10:51:48 -0400
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: Bounced mail from [email-masked]

Sorry to waste bandwidth but I have to send out a general plea.  I am
receiving hundreds of bounced mail messages from [email-masked].
Since this person (and site, for that matter!) is not on the mailing list,
I cannot remove him from it.  I must assume that it is being forwarded
from someone's local distribution point.  Could those who maintain such
local lists please check to see if this person is a member?  It's kind
of frustrating to log in and find two Meg of storage devoted to bounced
mail that I can't deal with.  Thanks.
--
Joe Barone, WWII-L owner
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 10:55:40 -0400
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Regia Marina, Part 5

[Sorry for the interruption of these installments... -- Joe]

        The beginning of 1942 saw the situation deteriorating in Malta.
The British decided to attempt to resupply the island by running a
convoy from Alexandria.  On March 20, four ships, escorted by an anti-
aircraft cruiser and six destroyers began the journey from Alexandria.
Supporting the convoy were three light cruisers and four destroyers,
as well as another force of destroyers.  A cruiser based at Malta also
sortied to provide assistance.

        An Italian submarine spotted the convoy and the Italians responded
swiftly, sending two heavy and one light cruiser with four destroyers from
Messina, and the 15-inch gun battleship "Littorio" and four destroyers from
Taranto, to intercept the British.  The Italian forces were spotted by a
British submarine and the convoy was ordered south to delay or avoid contact.
At sea, the weather was rough.  On March 23, 1942, at 2:24PM, the Italian
cruisers found the British, who turned away, under smoke.  The Italians
did likewise, hoping to draw the British onto "Littorio".  Not observing
a battleship, the British followed.  At 4:18PM, "Littorio" joined the
cruisers.

        By now, there was a 30 mph wind, high seas and mist, and the
British continued making smoke.  Admiral Iachino kept his forces between
the convoy and Malta, avoiding the smoke, but closing the range.  The
opposing destroyer forces exchanged attacks.  By 7:00PM, as darkness
closed in, the action concluded.  Iachino turned northwards, to home,
while the British forces turned east, back to Alexandria.  That night
the storm worsened and the Italians lost two destroyers which foundered
on the way home.  The convoy, escorted by two cruisers and six destroyers
headed back toward Malta.  Due to the Italian action, the convoy was still
at sea the next morning and suffered losses due to air attacks and only
limited tonnage reached the island.

        The Italians had performed well and suffered minimal losses and
those were to the weather, not the British.  Again British operations were
hindered by the lack of a carrier.  The engagement became known as the
Second Battle of Sirte.

        Meanwhile, in North Africa, after building up its supplies, the
Axis ground forces recommenced their offensive in May 1942 and by the
end of June, were within 100 kilometers of Alexandria and the Suez Canal.
These successes were directly related to the continued pressure on Malta.
In April and May, the British made great efforts to reinforce the island's
air defense, flying in Spitfires from carriers, including the U.S.S. "Wasp".
However, the Axis pressure continued.

        During June, 1942, the situation in the Mediterranean was favorable
for the Axis.  Rommel's forces stood at El Alamein, Malta was under attack
and neutralized as an offensive base, and the Italian Navy was seeing convoys
through successfully.  However, with the US in the war, the balance was
shifting and it was clear that little time remained for the Axis to resolve
the situation before American strength began to exert influence.

        When provisioned and supplied, Malta stood as a bastion from which
offensive strikes could be launched against Axis convoys.  The Italo-German
command recognized that the best solution for neutralizing the island was
to occupy it.  A joint air and amphibious operation involving German
paratroopers and Italian marines was planned, but at Rommel's urging,
it was temporarily postponed so he could continue his advance towards
Egypt with no diminution of supplies.

        Malta was in desperate need of supplies, by this time.  It was
planned to run convoys from both Alexandria and Gibraltar in June in the
hopes that the Axis would spread their resources too thinly to intercept
either effectively.  The convoy from Alexandria consisted of nine merchant
ships and a tanker, escorted by eight cruisers and twenty-two destroyers.
The convoy was spotted on June 13, shortly after sailing and was subjected
to several air attacks.  On the 14th, "Littorio", "Veneto", and six
destroyers in one group and four cruisers and four destroyers in a second
group sailed to intercept the convoy.  The Italians were spotted and the
convoy turned away and loitered while air attacks were made on the Italians
without success.  On the morning of June 15, the heavy cruiser "Trento"
was hit by a torpedo.  This convinced the British that the Italians had
been stopped and they turned again towards Malta.  High level bombing
attacks continued against the Italians and, at 8:16AM, "Littorio" took
a bomb hit from an American B-24 on her forward turret with no damage.
The British convoy was harassed by submarines and motor torpedo boats
and, when informed that the Italians were still coming on, turned back
to Alexandria.  Later that day, "Trento" sank after taking a second
torpedo hit and "Littorio" was hit by a torpedo around 11:30PM without
sustaining significant damage.

        The convoy from Gibraltar sailed on June 12 and included six
merchantmen with strong close escort and a covering force of a battleship,
two small carriers, and eight destroyers.  The Italians decided to counter
the convoy with light units from Sicily, supported by air attacks and a
cruiser division.   The cruisers attacked on June 15, near the island of
Pantelleria, with great tenacity and accuracy.  Only two freighters
survived the gauntlet of attacks to deliver their supplies to Malta.

        These convoy engagements, preventing large-scale resupply of
Malta, are known as the Battles of Mid-June.  They were clear Axis
victories, won in large part by the Italian Navy.

        During these engagements, on June 14, 1942, the latest Littorio
class battleship, "Roma", was handed over to the Navy and immediately
began crew training in the Adriatic.  The ship was identical to her
sisters except for a higher bow with greater sheer.  The fourth Littorio
class ship, "Impero", was still under construction and towed to Trieste
in order to avoid air attack while construction continued.  Construction,
however, was soon suspended and her only armament was a number of
anti-aircraft machine guns.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 10:40:36 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Memorial Day, 1994

.>>From those of us who receive less than appreciative glances from in-laws,etc
.>whenever we seek that quiet solitude to pray with gratitude for our soldiers,
.>seamen and airmen:
.>
.>Humble thanx for all you've done. May we be as worthy when our time comes...
.>
.>                                                        Steven E. Pudlo
.
.
Ron Babuka writes...
.Not to be picky but I'd feel more comfortable with the words "worthy IF it
.comes our time"

Sorry Ron, there will allways be armed conflict as long as there is
civilization. To think otherwise is to be dishonest with ourselves. The
point is not to beleive the seductive lie that the fighting's over, that
the war to end all wars is over, but to be prepared when it comes again.

Look at current events. It's comming.

                                                                Steve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 11:39:02 -0400
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: *Geography* thesis on Nisei internment?!

William Newbold Ely III <[email-masked]> writes:
>         One central point of my thesis is that the white American
> government, namely the WRA camp inspectors neglected the environmental
> hazards posed by sites.  For example, dust storms sweeping Topaz. I can
> go on and on. Want me to continue this friendly debate?

Louis R. Coatney <[email-masked]> responds:
> However, for an (objective?) historian to describe the Nisei
>   internment camps as "concentration camps" is misleading and
>   intellectually dishonest.  OBVIOUSLY.

        I think it would serve the list better if Newbie simply posts the
substance of his thesis and leave it as a task for the reader to decide
if these indeed were concentration camps.  I personally am more interested
in knowing more about this aspect of US history than the semantics of the
issue.  If everyone agrees that something did indeed happened, who cares
what it is called (at least on this list)?  Louis' point is well taken,
but this list is not for general consumption where this might truly cause
confusion.  I think most, if not all, members of this list will be able
to differentiate between the German camps and the US camps regardless of
their names.  Why not just call them "camps" and move on to the meat of
the matter.
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Did you ever hear enthusiasm like that in all your life?  They even
have the damn grave diggers in there!  Now that's fighting spirit!

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 10:51:00 PDT
From:    "Brady, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: *Geography* thesis on Nisei internment?!

Even though this has been beaten to death before, I will throw in my two
cents worth.

1) Concentration Camps--While Roosevelt called them "Concentration Camps",
that term has taken on a sinister meaning.  Talking to my mother and other
members of my family, they are referred to as "the Camps".  Most of the
comments were correct about how primitive the conditions were, there were
stories of a green sentry machinegunning a grandfather because he went to
get a ball that his grandson had tossed into the wire.  The toilets were
open and so were the houses.  However, as things got organized conditions
got better, with schools and other activities.  My family was first sent to
Tule Lake (sp) in 1942 and then to Minidoka.  Finally, the government
relocated the family to Michigan in 1944 where they would not be a threat to
the war effort.

2) Military Service--My uncle had been in the Army before Pearl Harbor.
 They kicked him out and then came to Minidoka to get him back because he
was a linguist.  He worked at the Pentagon, went to Japan with MacArthur as
an interpreter and has stayed there since.

3)  Why?  The family has different feeling about this.  Mostly racism and
the White on the West Coast wanted their property (my family had an apple
farm in Hood River, OR).  Mostly, they don't talk about it.

Mark Brady
[email-masked]
Disclaimer:
The opinions in this message are strictly those of the author and do not
belong to Texas Children's Hospital, St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, the
Texas Heart Institute or any other sane entity.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 11:03:18 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ATTENTION: Bud-nipping attempt to follow:

Hello, Theron!

I would only say "Amen" to your post.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 11:20:00 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Joe's suggestion of "camps"

'Sounds like a working compromise to *me*, Joe.  Done!  :-)

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 17:56:26 BST
From:    Stephen Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Criteria of Greatness

Terry Moore writes...
>       Hello, Steve!
>
>       I may be getting myself in a real bind here, but, yes, I happen to
>       have access to General Hoffmann's military career. What do you need
>       on this officer?

Hi Terry!
well, I never _need_ anything. These subjects are my hobby rather
than my profession (unfortunately). I was just wondering what happened
to Hoffmann after Tannenberg/Mazurian Lakes, and whether he went on to
greater things...

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a degree of panic
when Samsonov & Rennenkamp came over the boarder. The top bod
(can't remember his name) was sacked, and Ludendorff I believe was
sent East to replace him. When he arrived, Hoffmann had already
analysed the situation, and planned the destruction of the 2 armies
"to a tee"...thereafter, he seems to disappear into history.

steve

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 12:13:33 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Black Widow Squadrons

Hello, All Interested Parties:

I will be posting info on the NFS who used the P-61, along with CO's
and other relevant data.

                            6th NFS

   Commanding Officers

   Lt. James R. Watt (later Major)
   Capt. Sidney F. Wharton
         Victor M. Mahr
         Julius E. Alford
         Mark E. Martin
   1st Lt. Robert T. Merrill III
   Capt. George W. Mulholland

   First P-61 received: 1 May 1944
   First enemy aircraft destroyed by P-61 crew: 20 Jun 1944

   Squadron total enemy aircraft destroyed by P-61 crew: 16

   More tomorrow.

   Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 13:19:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: B-26 Marauder

>From the Air Force News Service.

333.  B-26 Marauder memories
                             &    &    &
                             &    &    &
                             &    &    &
333.  B-26 Marauder memories
by TSgt. David P. Masko
Air Force News Service
     WASHINGTON -- In Al Baxter's day, B-26 maintenance crews checked their
work by flying with the pilot.
     This may not sound so strange, but it was World War II and Army Air
Forces maintainers like Baxter inspected planes over the unfriendly skies of
Nazi Germany.
     Baxter, a retired senior master sergeant with 25 years of experience in
Air Force maintenance, said in-flight inspections were a "motivating factor"
when he worked on World War II era B-26 medium bombers.
     "If you didn't do the job, you got to pay the penalty."
     He wouldn't say how many of his co-workers lost their lives in the war,
but he did say with pride how important maintenance is to the success of the
Air Force.
     "I think the Air Force does an outstanding job with maintenance ...
always has," said Baxter, who worked on aircraft before and after the Air
Force became a separate service.
     Stories like Baxter's are common among those who served during World War
II, and who are now making preparations for the ultimate celebration -- the
50th anniversary of D-Day.
     Retired Major General John Moench feels these "war stories" are important
to Air Force people today because it's their heritage that's being celebrated.
     For example, Moench said one of the key aircraft of World War II is
probably not recognizable to most Air Force people.  That aircraft -- the
B-26 -- was the "hottest" plane of its time, he said.
     "As a second lieutenant, brand new out of flight-training school, I was
riding in the back of a B-26 one day when the guy in the front end asked if I
wanted to fly a little bit," explained Moench, who only had four hours flying
time before the flight.
     "I started flying it, and the guy said, 'Do you want to shoot a landing?'
I said how do you do it, and he said, 'You simply come over the runway at
1,500 feet (457 m) and drop your flaps; you drop your gear and just about the
time you hit, you pull back.'"
     Moench said the rest is history because he began flying the B-26 on a
regular basis during World War II.
     In addition to being the first airplane that Moench flew in combat, the
B-26 -- nicknamed the Marauder -- claimed many firsts in World War II.  It
was the first to use four-bladed props, carry a power-operated gun turret
(later used on B-25s, B-17s and B-24s), allow the tail gunner to sit in an
upright position, use plastic instead metal on a grand scale, and the first
Allied bomber in the European theater to complete 100 operational missions.
     On D-Day -- June 6, 1944 -- the B-26 proved ideal for the great invasion.
According to Army Air Forces records, Marauder squadrons skimmed the waves of
the English Channel at high speed, flying below German radar, appearing over
the Normandy beach heads without warning and covering them with thousands of
bombs.
     The largest number of B-26s flew in Europe isolating the battlefield
prior to and after D-Day.
     Assistant Vice Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Thomas McInerney called
the B-26, and the people who flew and maintained it, "Air Force legends"
during a recent B-26 painting donation ceremony at the Pentagon.
     The painting entitled "The Flight of the Mission Bell" depicts the
eye-witness account of Paul Mulrenin, then the co-pilot of the Mission Bell,
on a flight to attack German rocket sites in occupied France on 5 Feb 1944.
     During that assault, the Mission Bell, flying in the No. 2 position,
assumed mission lead after the No. 1 B-26, flown by Captain Jamie Bryan, took
a direct hit from an 88mm gun and was destroyed with no survivors.
     Mulrenin explained the painting at the ceremony, and said that day is
still vivid in his mind.
     Baxter and Moench said talking about World War II and D-Day also evokes
strong images for them.  In recalling these glorious events, both men
challenged Air Force people to not forget about those who blazed the trail.
     The Mission Bell painting hangs in the A-ring, fourth floor, at the
Pentagon along with other historic Air Force art.

--

      // \\
    //     \\                    Air Force News Agency
   |         |              Kelly Air Force Base, Texas, USA
   \  CMSgt  /      ___________________ /____________________________________
   \  Mike   /
   \ Bergman /
     \     /

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 12:28:19 CDT
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: Memorial Day, 1994

By the way--the Chicago Police Department nixed the idea of having
automatic weapons at the D-Day event at Montrose Beach.  Also, they are
going to be looking for pistols/handguns as well since they are banned
in the city.  Looks like the Germans are limited only to bolt action
weapons.  This will unfortunately limit the realism and authenticity of
the impressions being done by the troops.

This raises another issue---gun control and reenacting are opposed to
each other---banning weapons limits our historical accuracy and
presentation--like in the case listed above.  I have no problem with
waiting periods and the like, but when you can;t do an authentic
impression because of criminals and the resulting actions of political
leaders who do not use common sens when making gun laws, the end result
is reenacting and education of living history suffers.

There is an organization called Handgun Control International, or
INC--something like that, they have as part of their agenda banning all
reenactments since we are a"dangerous paramilitary organization".  Also,
they want to ban us from owning automatic weapons, "for what would
prevent us from slapping a magazine of live ammunition in our magaizines
and killing a bunch of children." Well--my blank adapter for one would
prevent this--my MP-40 would blow up in my face--and also common
sense--reenactors are law abiding citizens and follow the laws on the
books--besides, how many crimes are committed using legally registered
machine guns---very few if none--there is too much work to go through to
own one legally.  A criminal will get one illegally, on the black
market, which will be there with or without gun laws and banning.

HCI is so radical that they want to ban WWII, WWI and Civil War
reenactments.  Can you imagine a guy knocking off a bank with a Civil
War Enfield?  I don;t think so.  They also want the power to sue gun
manufacturers for damages inflicted by their products committed by crimi
nals, ban toy guns of any form, and ban groups of larger than 4 people
with guns at any one place as illegal.

It is groups like this that send shutters down my spine.  If you
consider a B-25 a weapon, then 4 or more together would be illegal.
This would effectively stop my organization, along with the CAF,
WWIIIAPS, Civil War Groups, WWI Groups, 20th Cent Tactical Studies
Group, MVCC--the list goes on.

I'm not trying to start a debate about gun control, but I believe it is
important to tell the world what these radical groups are up to and to
help us stop this hogwash.  I am a law abiding citizen and will always
be one, as well as my fellow reenactors.  Please help us out if the
issue gets raised in political arena in the future.  I'm hoping events
like D-Day will help the world see what radicals they are and forever
nip this in the bud.

TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 12:29:26 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: D-Day and Balloons

Hello, Scott!

      She asked, "Did they seriously think that
>      a pilot was going to get tangled up in those cables like a spider
>      web?" It got me thinking (UH OH!), were the pilots wary of these
>      balloons due to the threat of the cables shredding their wings off or
>      were there other concerns? (PLEASE, do NOT tell me that they were used
>      for "sightseeing" as she so elegantly put it!!!)

    Yes, and the enemy pilots were forced to fly higher, thus forcing
them to bomb or strafe from higher altitudes that might just force
them to miss their intended target(s). Also, forcing those pilots to
fly higher caused the enemy to become more meaningful targets for the
defending forces.

 Hope this helps.

 Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 13:34:04 -0500
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago Today - Archive

The May 1944 50 Years Ago Today articles are now available for downloading
via anonymous FTP.

Instructions for downloading 50 YA articles -

The articles are stored by month. To retrieve the articles by FTP, open
host "vnet.net", enter "anonymous" when prompted for login ID, enter your
Internet mail address when prompted for password. To change to the
directory where the articles are stored enter "cd /pub/jbd/50ya". The file
name identifies the month (example - may1944.txt, contains the May 1944
articles).

----------
John Davis ([email-masked])
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 13:33:06 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Memorial Day, 1994

Steve writes;

>> Sorry Ron, there will allways be armed conflict as long as there is
>> civilization. To think otherwise is to be dishonest with ourselves. The
>> point is not to beleive the seductive lie that the fighting's over, that
>> the war to end all wars is over, but to be prepared when it comes again.

I personally  just cannot live with this "survialist" mentality (sorry if I
read more into this that there actually is).  I fully recognize that their
has been a marked increase in "brush wars", I recognize the greater
brutality of fighting in Rwanda, Bosnia, Yemen, Kuwait, ect... ect.... ect.
I recognize that without counterbalancing super-powers that some feel it is
a more dangerous planet. Even if we take this into account I still have to
have some faith that humanity is making some progress towards finding a
better way of solving it's problems. If we don't attempt a positive step
and recognize that it IS possible then I feel we do a greater dishonor to
the veterans of the last war(s).  The veterans of WWII fought, in the end,
to provide the security for a better world.  I believe that the baton was
passed to me. I am not so foolish to believe that this will happen
overnight nor in the next generation, but I do believe that we are moving
towards recognizing, WITH the help of the veterans who actually had to live
the horrors of combat, that war should always be the absolute last method
of solving a problem.  Yes I believe in being prepared to defend our way of
life and to protect of national interest. Yes, History has shown us that we
need to stay prepared and resolute in defending our freedoms.  I do not
believe though that history neccesarily promotes a pessismistic attitude
that man is doomed to spend eternity maiming and killing each other.  If I
except that belief then I doom myself and my fellow man.  I am sorry I have
gotten on a soap box.  If anyone wanted to discuss this please contact me
off the list  - to save our fellow lister's from my banter.

One of the activities that we try to encourage at the Wings of Eagle
airshow is to have veterans and crewmembers discuss the realities of war
with our guest so they do not develope a skewed slant of the history of the
air wars and aircraft that we honor.  The guest of our shows hopefully
recognize that many men suffered horrible wounds and deaths inside these
aircraft.  It would be easy to have the planes fly nice little loops and
aerobatic routines but we do try educating the public to the full picture.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 13:45:54 -0400
From:    Kevin Kamphaus <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: FRENCH DAIRY FARMERS THREATEN D-DAY CEREMONIES

If it wasn't for what happened 50 years ago that people are going there to
celebrate, they might not be able to produce milk in the first place. What a    slap in the face!!!

Kevin Kamphaus
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 13:58:43 -0400
From:    Kevin Kamphaus <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Memorial Day, 1994

If that is the case, then we could sue the auto manufacturers for people being
killed/maimed by cars, knife manuf's for people being stabbed, I guess you couldsue GOD if someone punched you, after all he made man!

Utterly ridiculous! What ever happened to personal responsibility?????

Kevin Kamphaus
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 13:04:55 -0700
From:    John Holtz <[email-masked]>
Subject: U.S. Casualties

A table in Gene Gurney's "A Pictorial History of the United States Army"
provides the following figures:

Number Serving    Battle Deaths  Other Deaths  Wounded (not fatal)

Army 11,260,000    234,874         83,400        565,861
Navy  4,183,466     36,950         25,604         37,778
Marines 669,100     19,733          4,778         67,207

Totals 16,112,566  291,557          113,842      670,846

On page 680, Gurney notes "Of the total, the war against Japan accounted
for approximately 175,000 casualties (Army only), including about 52,000
killed."

jwh

--
John W. Holtz, Asst. Professor       INTERNET: [email-masked]
Sangamon State University Library       PHONE: (217) 786-6633
Springfield, IL  62794-9243

  > Opinions subject to change upon reflection or dissipation <

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 11:29:30 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Memorial Day, 1994

Ron...
        Sad to say, a great deal of "armed conflict" is very liable
to confront the world in the next short while.
The most likely, between Ukraine and Russia.
South Africa is the other probable explosion ahead.

PS:  "Armed conflict".  Is that what people used to call, simply, 'war' ?

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 14:25:32 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Memorial Day, 1994

>If that is the case, then we could sue the auto manufacturers for people being
>killed/maimed by cars, knife manuf's for people being stabbed, I guess you could
>sue GOD if someone punched you, after all he made man!
>
>Utterly ridiculous! What ever happened to personal responsibility?????
>
>
>Kevin Kamphaus
>[email-masked]

Uh oh, here comes another flame war! Some of these guys must be gluttons
for punishment. Not that I am averse to some lively controversy!:-)
                                                                Steve

Off topic, even...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 12:06:31 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Stalag Luft III

Calling William B. Ely...
        This weekend, I had a house-guest who was "Number 83" in the
line of men scheduled to escape through the tunnel at Stalag Luft III.
He consider his life was saved because the Germans spotted the head
of an RAF man, six ahead of him, emerging from the tunnel exit.
        I told him of your interest. He is willing to tell you a little
in answer to any questions you may wish to relay via me.
Drop me a line, if you're still interested.
Regards -- Sidney.  Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 12:14:51 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ireland In WW2

Last week, there was a memorial service held in Ireland to recall the
deaths of the crew of a USAAF B25 Liberator bomber that crashed during
World War Two into the sea at St Finan's Bay.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 14:24:10 -0500
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Memorial Day, 1994

[HCI Agenda ...]

> [Other stuff ...]
> Uh oh, here comes another flame war! Some of these guys must be gluttons
> for punishment. Not that I am averse to some lively controversy!:-)
>                                                                 Steve
>
> Off topic, even...

I agree it's off-topic, but I'm also one of those people who have seen the
long term agendas set forth by HCI and numerous other organizations.  Some
of the things are so unbelievable that you, literally, don't believe it.
The ban of all things camoflague, even "fashionable camo"?

When I first saw this, Brady-2 wasn't even an issue being proposed.  Some of
the items in that agenda are in Brady-2.  The banning of reenactments, of
privately held military artifacts, the closing of military museums, etc.
These are all incredibly extreme issues, but if only a portion of these
things ever happen, what happens to the long-term preservation of the memory
and history of those that contributed and sacrificed so much, making Memorial
Day so important (and not what it is rapidly becoming -- a day to go out and
picnic -- witness the cancelled parades across the country because of a lack
of interest -- or in some cases, realization)?

I don't want to suggest that anyone debates HCI or gun control here (shudder
:-), but mentioning it as a threat to be aware of is at least, in passing,
within the scope of reason.  A lot of people fought for the basic concept of
liberty and it is the duty of the rest of us to be ever vigilant and preserve
that liberty.  Sometimes the loss of liberty comes in the face of something
that looks good.

I hope we don't embark on a discussion of current politics or legislation...
Just that we keep ourselves ever watchful and look beyond the surface to see
if there is a different long-term agenda.  (No... No conspiracy theories
either... :-)

It's unfortunate that the city leaders of Chicago couldn't come together and
enact and ordinance permitting a true and authentic recreation in an event
giving them so much visibility (and tourism dollars).  It probably could have
been accomplished here, only a few hours north...

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 14:52:05 CDT
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[3]: Memorial Day, 1994

I wasn't trying to start a flame war about gun control, but I wanted to
point out that this groups efforts are trying to destroy yhe work that
we are doing, and are very similar to a group trying to tear down a war
memorial to build a parking lot, or boycott a veteran's meeting--we are
a living tribute to the vet's, many of whom won;t be here in 30 years.
They won;t be here to tell their stories and only books, historians and
reenactors will be there to do it, and keep the flame alive of their
efforts.

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 15:54:06 EDT
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Adjunct Instructor,
         Marist Coll" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Bulge 11th Armored Div.

>Just joined listserver for wwii.  Looking for information and pictures for

Welcome aboard!

>blished and would be happy to share it with anyone who wants its.  The 11th

I would like to read a copy please.

Jonah Triebwasser
Adjunct Instructor
Marist College
Dyson Building (Adult Education)
Poughkeepsie, New York12601
Tel: (914) 575-3331, ext. 7037
E-Mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 15:26:50 CDT
From:    Mike Seningen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U.S. Casualties

% of casualties
> Army 11,260,000    234,874         83,400        565,861  >>> 7.85%
> Navy  4,183,466     36,950         25,604         37,778  >>> 2.40%
> Marines 669,100     19,733          4,778         67,207  >>> 13.71%  !! ouch !!
>
> Totals 16,112,566  291,557          113,842      670,846  >>> 6.68%

just an fyi,

mike

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 18:11:34 EDT
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: *Geography* thes...

Dear Mr Ely,
When researching your study on the relocation of Japanese and Japanese
Americans during World War II, I recommend you consult the following:
J. L. deWitt, Lt Gen. _Final report Japanese Evacuation from the West Coast,
1942_, U. S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC. 1943. The report
contains extensive maps and photography of all the camps. This should be of
value to a study of their geographic aspects.  The report also describes the
various agricultural and other economic activities that the Japanese had
begun in the camps as of the date of the report. It also has much data of
geographic interest in terms of statistics on areas from which individuals
were evacuated and regions to which they moved. Incidentally, not all the
individuals chose to move to the relocation centers. During the first 4 or 5
months of the program over 4,000 moved to numerous towns and cities
throughout the western US, many to Utah and Colorado.
Good luck with your study,
John Sloan

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 19:05:20 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Restoration of Dolittle's B-25B

Can anyone tell me if information has been published concerning the B-25
that was restored as a B model like Dolittle flew?  I understand such a
plane was restored and flown to the Smithsonian.

I would appreciate information or references.

Thank you.

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my second | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   extended stay in Prague.       |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  | Working on second book about     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic. |    economic, social, political     |
  |                                  |    problems and opportunities.     |
  |                                  |  B-25 in WWII.                     |
  | E-Mail:                          | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |   USA:  [email-masked]    | Stamp collecting.                  |
  =========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 17:45:14 -0700
From:    Ed Kettler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Restoration of Dolittle's B-25B

In "B-25 Mitchell, The Magnificent Medium", N. L. Avery, page 93:  "For
the 25th anniversary of the Tokyo raid B-25D-30/F-10, 43-3374 , was
converted by North American to replicate General Doolittle's 40-2344.
The trimetrogon camera nose used on the F-10s was removed and replaced
with a conventional "greenhouse".  The only noticable differences from
the original are the Clayton exhaust stacks instead of the collector ring
and long tail pipes. ...The airplane is now part of the collection on
exhibitat the USAF Museaum at Dayton, OH."

Ed Kettler                                       [email-masked]

On Tue, 31 May 1994, GEORGE BAUER wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if information has been published concerning the B-25
> that was restored as a B model like Dolittle flew?  I understand such a
> plane was restored and flown to the Smithsonian.
>
> I would appreciate information or references.
>
> Thank you.
>
>
>   =========================================================================
>   | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
>   |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
>   | Recently returned from my second | Education:  Curriculum development.|
>   |   extended stay in Prague.       |    International Education, TEFL.  |
>   | Working on second book about     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
>   |   Prague and new Czech Republic. |    economic, social, political     |
>   |                                  |    problems and opportunities.     |
>   |                                  |  B-25 in WWII.                     |
>   | E-Mail:                          | Free lance writing and editing.    |
>   |   USA:  [email-masked]    | Stamp collecting.                  |
>   =========================================================================
>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 22:24:30 -0500
From:    Jon Stevens <[email-masked]>
Subject: I-80 & WWII

While driving on US Innerstate Highway 80 out west this past week I saw a
few places that might be of interest to people in this group.

1. SAC museum Offut, Neb -- Large collection of various military planes B25,
B17, B36, Vulcan bomber, B52, and many others including a few missiles.

2. "Living History Tank Museum" in Lexington, Neb -- The collection
included T55, T54, M48, 2 Bradleys, a Halftrack, 2 Hueys, and some other
stuff.  The point of this museum is to keep these tanks in working
condition and give rides.  It wasn't open yet and I couldn't get any more
details about this place.

3. Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska, some guy had his front yard full of
various WWII 6x6's, a couple jeeps, a number of halftracks in various
states like rust to mint condition, and a few tracked vehicles that I
could not identify.  It looked pretty cool, at least at 65mph (+).

4. Every so often there was sign with five stars that read
something like "Eisenhower Memorial Highway System".

The SAC base and Tank museum are worth a look.

Jon Stevens -- [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 31 May 1994 22:28:25 -0500
From:    Jon Stevens <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: dday & Chicago

Would someone post the details of the reenactment in Chicago, I have been
nomail for about a week and missed anything that might have been
posted on the event.  Thanks...

Jon Stevens -- [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 30 May 1994 to 31 May 1994
*************************************************