Subject: WWII-L Digest - 11 May 1994 to 12 May 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 00:01:03 -0400

There are 33 messages totalling 1223 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Leon Degrelle (2)
  2. U-boats as of 1937 (4)
  3. TRY again knight's cross
  4. knights cross winners photos (2)
  5. INF: USAAF 12 MAY 44
  6. TRIV Colorization (5)
  7. Zhukov shoots Beria?
  8. P-61 Black Widow
  9. <No subject given>
 10. Recoilless guns
 11. recoilless guns and misc.
 12. Bye
 13. military brats wanted
 14. TRIV: Colorization of Films
 15. Churchill and Seagulls (3)
 16. REF: Battling Buzzards
 17. To Drop or Not to Drop (4)
 18. To Drop or Not to Drop ... Dylan.  :-)
 19. Re[2]: To Drop or Not to Drop

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 May 1994 23:53:26 -0500
From:    Jon Stevens <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Leon Degrelle

On Mon, 9 May 1994, Office TH325, Extension 3566 wrote:

> I have just finished reading John Toland's "The Last 100 Days".  He
> talks about a man named Leon Degrelle who was the leader of the Rexist
> party in Belgium and volunteered for the SS.  At the end of the war he
> escaped to Norway where he had a meeting with Quisling.  Following
> Toland's account, a pilot wearing a high Gernan decoration picked him up
> and flew him to Spanmin where they crashed for lack of fuel.
>
> 1.  Who was Degrelle that he was given such preferential treatment?
>
> 2.  What happened to him?>

Sometime last December there was discussion about Degrelle on the list.  You
might want to check the archives of the list for this information.

Degrelle wrote a biography of his life during WWII called (I think)
_Front de l'Est_, which has been translated into english.  It is a quite
fascinating account of life on the Eastern Front and the various foreign
volunteers in the German military.  If you would like I will find out the
english title of the book.

I have heard a rumor that Degrelle had spent the last few years writing a
longer version (7 vols.) of his life and exploits in WWII.  Anyone heard
this?

Jon Stevens -- [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 00:08:04 -0500
From:    "WILLIAM L. HUBER - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: U-boats as of 1937

> Date:    Fri, 6 May 1994 09:20:38 -0400
> >From:    Norrin M Ripsman <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: NAVY: 1936 U-boat listing
>
> > I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I have a 1937
> > rank list of the Kriegsmarine which lists every U-boat in service at
> > that time and provides a listing of the officers aboard each one.  If
> > that would be helpful let me know.
> >
> > Cheers, Bill Huber / [email-masked]
> >
>
> Hi Bill:
>
> Thanks for your post.  This list would indeed be helpful.
>
> Norrin

Hi Norrin,

OK, Here it is:

Unterseeboote

Leader of U-boats  Kapitain zur See Doenitz

U-boat flottille 1  (Kiel)

U9, U13, U15, U17, U19, U21 and 23

reserve boats U7 and U11

U-boat flottille 2 (Wilhelmshaven)

U25, U26, U27, U28, U29, U30, U31, U32, U33, U34, U35 and U36

U-boat flottille 3 (Kiel)

U10, U12, U14, U16, U18, U20 and U22

reserve boats U8 and U24

Cheers, Bill Huber / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 15:39:14 +1000
From:    John Foster <[email-masked]>
Subject: TRY again knight's cross

--Boundary (ID He79FnM0BT8HVb5B66eA9w)
Content-type: TEXT/PLAIN

[**** Insert text here ****]

--Boundary (ID He79FnM0BT8HVb5B66eA9w)
Content-type: MESSAGE/RFC822

Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 00:18:33 -0400
From: BITNET list server at UBVM <[email-masked]> (1.8a)
Subject: Rejected posting to WWII-L@UBVM
To: John Foster <[email-masked]>

Distribution of empty messages is not allowed.

------------------------- Rejected message (39 lines) -------------------------
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 13:43:23 +1000
From: John Foster <[email-masked]>
Subject: knights cross winners photos
To: [email-masked]
Hi All, Some time back there was a thread on folklore and a lot of stories
centered on caches of uniforms either found or irretreivably lost. I came
 across an account that may be of interest (especially to Terry)
in a book I found in a box of books I bought at auction.The title of the book
is "women of Berlin" and deals with Berlin in the last few weeks of the war and
the few weeks after under Russian occupation and is supposedly the diary of one
woman. This woman is trying to get food and start anew and finds a fellow who is
trying to get a newspaper or magazine started and having lots of dificulty
getting virtually anything as everything is being shipped off to Russia.They
have a supply of paper (a goldmine) and lots of great intentions. One of the
 great needs at this time was glass as every window was broken
letting draughts etc in.The women mentions she knows where to get some(to
consolidate her employment) and she heads off with two men to her previous
employers place(a publishing house).Down in the basement which is in bad shape
they hide behind a crate when the lady of the house appears.When
the lady goes they unpack the crate and carefully take the glass out of all the
picture frames therein and discard the photos and take off with their precious
 booty. It seems the crate contained the prizes for a competition which had been
run by the publishing house and never concluded.It was full of signed photos of
all the Knights cross winners. Wowsers! Regards John Foster

--Boundary (ID He79FnM0BT8HVb5B66eA9w)--

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 15:46:32 +1000
From:    John Foster <[email-masked]>
Subject: knights cross winners photos

Hi All,
      Some time back there was a thread on folklore and a lot of stories
centered on caches of uniforms either found or irretreivably lost. I came
 across an account that may be of interest (especially to Terry)
in a book I found in a box of books I bought at auction.The title of the book
is "women of Berlin" and deals with Berlin in the last few weeks of the war and
the few weeks after under Russian occupation and is supposedly the diary of one
woman. This woman is trying to get food and start anew and finds a fellow who is
trying to get a newspaper or magazine started and having lots of dificulty
getting virtually anything as everything is being shipped off to Russia.They
have a supply of paper (a goldmine) and lots of great intentions. One of the
 great needs at this time was glass as every window was broken
letting draughts etc in.The women mentions she knows where to get some(to
consolidate her employment) and she heads off with two men to her previous
employers place(a publishing house).Down in the basement which is in bad shape
they hide behind a crate when the lady of the house appears.When
the lady goes they unpack the crate and carefully take the glass out of all the
picture frames therein and discard the photos and take off with their precious
 booty. It seems the crate contained the prizes for a competition which had been
run by the publishing house and never concluded.It was full of signed photos of
all the Knights cross winners. Wowsers!
 Regards John Foster

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 07:07:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USAAF 12 MAY 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 12 MAY 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-70, Douglas
  SBD, Douglas Dauntless
  TBF, Grumman Avenger

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 1 B-24 reconnoiters and bombs installations
on Matsuwa Island, Kurile Islands, concentrating on the airfield on Tagan
Cape.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 4 B-25s strike the Tiddim road NNW
of Tonzang; 50+ B-25s and fighter-bombers knock out a railroad bridge at
Pinbaw, pound gun positions and supply area at Myitkyina and hit defensive
positions near Kazu-Tiangsup; 4 B-25s damage Myothit bridge while 8 P-38s
bomb Kyaukye; 21 P-51s hit airfields at Meiktila and Heho, claiming 8
Japanese aircraft downed; 4 B-25s knock out a bridge at Daga while 2 others
bomb a camp at Taungbaw.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): 16 P-40s and 11 B-25s hit several targets in
S China and in French Indochina. In China, military installations, artillery
positions and tank concentrations are pounded in the Yoyang area, a bridge
and several trucks are damaged at Sienning, a naval vessel is attacked at
Hong Kong and in French Indochina, a radio station on Cat Ba Island is bombed
and railroad yards, supply dump, and river junks are blasted in the Phu Langi
Thuong area.
  HQ 81st Fighter Group moves from Karachi, India to Kwanghan, China.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 353: 886 bombers and 735
fighters are dispatched to hit oil production facilities in Germany and
Czechoslovakia; there is strong Luftwaffe fighter reaction and 46 bombers and
7 fighters are lost:
  1. 326 B-17s are dispatched to Mersenburg (224 bomb) and Lutzkendorf (87
bomb); 1 hits Hedrongen and 1 bombs Bullstadt; 2 B-17s are lost, 3 damaged
beyond repair and 189 damaged; 4 airmen are KIA, 6 WIA and 20 MIA.
  2. 295 B-17s are dispatched to Brux, Czechoslovakia (140 bomb) and Zwickau
(74 bomb); 11 hit Chemnitz, 14 hit Gera marshalling yard, 15 hit Hof and 4
hit targets of opportunity; 41 B-17s are lost, 1 is damaged beyond repair and
162 damaged; 3 airmen are KIA, 8 WIA and 377 MIA.
  3. 265 B-24s are dispatched to Zeitz (116 bomb) and Bohlen (99 bomb); 14
hit Mersenburg, 1 hits Ostend Airfield, Belgium and 12 hit targets of
opportunity; 3 B-24s are lost, 5 damaged beyond repair and 61 damaged; 7
airmen are WIA and 33 MIA.
  Escort is provided by 153 P-38s, 201 P-47s and 381 P-51s; P-38s claim 2-0-0
Luftwaffe aircraft, P-47s claim 26-0-8 and P-51s claim 33-0-3 in the air and
5-0-2 on the ground; 4 P-47s and 3 P-51s are lost and 4 P-47s and 9 P-51s are
damaged; 7 pilots are MIA.
  Mission 354: 5 of 5 B-17s drop 1.74 million leaflets on Denmark; 1 aircraft
is damaged; 2 airmen are KIA and 3 WIA.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): IX Troop Carrier Command carries out
Operation EAGLE, a full-scale exercise of the tactics and techniques of
paradrop, glider tow, parapack in resupply, air landing of supplies and
medical evacuation as a dress rehearsal for the airborne invasion of
Normandy.
  450+ B-26s attack coastal defenses, airfields, bridges, railroads and
railroad guns, and V-weapon sites in France and Belgium; thick haze impedes
visibility and causes many aborts.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Italy, around 730 B-17s and
B-24s (largest force to date) attack German HQ at Massa d'Albe and Monte
Soratte; town of Civitavecchia; airfields at Tarquinia and in the surrounding
area; marshalling yards at Chivasso, Piombino, Marina di Carrara, Viareggio
and Ferrara; Orbetello Island; Piombino harbor; docks and communications at
San Stefano al Mare ; harbor, marshalling yard and railroad bridge at
Chiavari; La Spesia marshalling yard and harbor; and several targets of
opportunity; 25 P-38s strafe Piacenza Airfield; other fighters fly 250+
sorties in support of bombing missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, A-20s blast command
posts along the main battlefront as Allied ground forces seek to break
through the Gustav Line; medium bombers hit a concentration near Fondi,
attack forces at Vallecorsa and Pastena and bomb numerous positions along the
main front; fighter-bombers pound command posts, guns, bridges, road and rail
traffic and troops along the assault front and in the rear areas,
concentrating especially on the Monte Cassino Benedictine Abbey and
surrounding area.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): 12 Makin Island-based B-25s bomb
Nauru Island. A single B-24 from Kwajalein Atoll bombs Jaluit Atoll.

SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (SOPAC, Thirteenth Air Force): On New Britain Island, 12
B-25s and 20+ P-40s and P-38s pound Tobera Airstrip and nearby personnel
areas; some of the B-25s returning from Tobera bomb Sohano Island, Solomon
Islands; 12 P-39s and about 70 US Navy (USN) SBDs and TBFs sink numerous
barges throughout the Rabaul area, especially at Simpson Harbor and Keravia
Bay; gun positions in the Matupi area are also attacked.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA (SWPA, Fifth Air Force): B-24s bomb Mokmer Airfield,
New Guinea, and attack targets on Ceram Island, Moluccas Islands; Amboina,
Ambon Island, Moluccas Islands; and Timor Island. In New Guinea, A-20s, B-25s
and fighter-bombers blast villages, coastal bridges and roads, vehicles, the
airstrip at Boram and other targets throughout the Wewak-Hansa Bay region.
  Unit moves in New Guinea: HQ 3d Bombardment Group (Light) from Nadzab to
Hollandia; 66th Troop Carrier Squadron, 433d Troop Carrier Group, based at
Nadzab begins operating from Tadji with C-47s; 418th Night Fighter Squadron,
310th Bombardment Wing (Medium), from Finschhafen to Hollandia with B-25Hs,
P-38s and P-70s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 08:26:27 -0500
From:    "W.C. (RUSTY) DIVENS" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIV Colorization

>        There is a faint silver lining to colorization.  Before they
>perform the procedure, they search and splice to get the absolute best,
>most complete print of the film.  This means that a number of films (such
>as 12:00 high) that might have had large sections lost due to breaks etc.
>now exist once again in a "new" copy like it was when they showed it in
>the theater.  I just turn down the color in my set, grab a beer and.
>enjoy it the way God intended.

Good point, Steve.  While we have discussed the 'loss' of much information
(oral history) due to mortality stats closing in on the participants in
WWII, the loss of much of the film media is also a real concern.  The old
nitrate films just don't stand the test of time....and much has already
been lost.  So while 'colorization' is certainly an affront to the artistic
mind, it DOES provide a venue for preservation.  And whether or not we
like it, we are living in a world that cries for color media.

It is disturbing, however, that so much of the filmed record is passing
into the hands of a few moguls.  Hopefully their sense of posterity will
prevent these items from being taken out of general circulation.

#### W.C. (Rusty) Divens ####
####    Access Services  ####       |__*__|        [email-masked]
#### Falk Library of the ####  =======( )=======   [email-masked]
####   Health Sciences   ####      |   |   |                   /|\
####   200 Scaife Hall   #### (Echo Romeo Charlie)           /  |) \
####   U of Pittsburgh   ####                              /    |)   \
####   Pgh, PA  15261    ####  [email-masked]   /_____ |)    )
####  FAX: 412-648-9020  ####  [email-masked]    ---~~~~~~~----
####  VOX: 412-648-1013  ####                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#### ARIEL:136.142.56.30 ####
####  GPS: 40:27N 80 W   ####

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 07:30:04 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Zhukov shoots Beria?

Hello, Emery!

Glad to hear from you again.

>         I'm reading a 1990 vintage history of the Soviet Union by
> MacKenzie and Curran.  In it, it says that Beria attempted a coup to
> overthrow Malenkov after Stalin's death in 1953.  It says this was
> thwarted and they speculate that Beria was shot by Zhukov.  Does anyone
> know whether it was Zhukov, have any surrounding details, or know of
> any other more factual account of the fate of Lavrentii Beria?

    I have some info on L. Beria and will check it out for you. Will
post it to you if someone else hasn't gotten it to you before.

    Beria was very quickly eliminated after the death of Stalin. Will
get more details.

    More later.

    Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 08:30:29 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIV Colorization

Whilst I have no problems with the preservation of WW-II films to
prevent their being lost forever, why can't they re-print them in
B&W? Why must it be color? Why can't they present both versions
to the public, so we can have our choice???

                                                        Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 07:38:00 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: knights cross winners photos

Hello, John!

Thanks for the info on this below. All I can say is that I wish I
could have been there to help her open that crate.

Thanks for posting this.

Terry

----------------------------------------------------------------------

>       Some time back there was a thread on folklore and a lot of stories
> centered on caches of uniforms either found or irretreivably lost. I came
>  across an account that may be of interest (especially to Terry)
> in a book I found in a box of books I bought at auction.The title of the book
> is "women of Berlin" and deals with Berlin in the last few weeks of the war and
> the few weeks after under Russian occupation and is supposedly the diary of one
> woman. This woman is trying to get food and start anew and finds a fellow who is
> trying to get a newspaper or magazine started and having lots of dificulty
> getting virtually anything as everything is being shipped off to Russia.They
> have a supply of paper (a goldmine) and lots of great intentions. One of the
>  great needs at this time was glass as every window was broken
> letting draughts etc in.The women mentions she knows where to get some(to
> consolidate her employment) and she heads off with two men to her previous
> employers place(a publishing house).Down in the basement which is in bad shape
> they hide behind a crate when the lady of the house appears.When
> the lady goes they unpack the crate and carefully take the glass out of all the
> picture frames therein and discard the photos and take off with their precious
>  booty. It seems the crate contained the prizes for a competition which had been
> run by the publishing house and never concluded.It was full of signed photos of
> all the Knights cross winners. Wowsers!
>  Regards John Foster
>

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 07:40:47 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Leon Degrelle

Hello, Jon and others!

Yes, DeGrelle was discussed in some detail earlier on this list.

> Degrelle wrote a biography of his life during WWII called (I think)
> _Front de l'Est_, which has been translated into english.  It is a quite
> fascinating account of life on the Eastern Front and the various foreign
> volunteers in the German military.  If you would like I will find out the
> english title of the book.
>
> I have heard a rumor that Degrelle had spent the last few years writing a
> longer version (7 vols.) of his life and exploits in WWII.  Anyone heard
> this?

    No, but it wouldn't surprise me given the magnitude of his ego.

    He died within the past 6 months.

    Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 08:01:23 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: P-61 Black Widow

Hello, Aldo, Emmanuel, Peter and others!

Here goes with some more info on the P-61A.

One of the first units to begin operations from recently secured
Isley Field on Saipan, the 6th NFS arrived on 21 June 1944. Nine days
later on 30 June, 2nd LT. Dale Haberman and his Radar Operator (RO)
Flight Officer, Raymond Mooney intercepted two bogies in their P-61A
MOONHAPPY. It took some thirty minutes for Mooney to vector the P-61
into position so that Haberman could make the kill. The bogies were
identified as a Mitsubishi G4M Betty bomber with a Zero fighter
escort. Haberman hit the Betty in the port engine, then dove the P-
61A away from the Zero. Haberman later recalled "We left him like he
was in reverse." The Betty was later seen exploding in the sea near
Saipan.

The first European kill went to the 422nd NFS-but it was not a manned
aircraft. On the night of 15/16 July 1944, LT. Herman Ernst, with LT.
Edward Kopsel acting as RO, was vectored to intercept a German V-1
Buzz Bomb over the English Channel. LT. Ernst brought the P-61A
BORROWED TIME to within 900 feet of the flying bomb before he opened
fire with his 20mm cannon, scoring hits on the V-1s propulsion unit.
The rocket went into a steep dive and exploded while still over the
Channel.

The 422nd NFS introduced the use of Gloss Black as a camouflage for
the P-61. The unit found that Gloss Black was a much better night
scheme than either the Olive Drab/Neutral Gray or Flat Black schemes.
Flat Black paint absorbed light making the P-61 appear as a "hole" in
the glare of searchlights while Gloss Black reflected the searchlight
beams. The light colored radome on some aircraft came from the
unpainted fiberglass. Later the radomes were painted using RAF
paints, most of which were light colors such as yellow. When the
aircraft were repainted Gloss Black, lead was often sprayed on the
underside of the nose and radome to eliminate ground clutter, giving
the nose a light gray color.

The 425th NFS decided to move the radar operator from the rear of the
aircraft to the gunner's position behind the pilot. Even though the P-
61As used by the 425th had no dorsal turrets, the gunner's seat was
often retained for use by observers or for training other crew
members. The 425th decided to move the RO into this vacant position
in the aircraft. Thid woudl bring another pair of eyes into the
cockpit which would greatly assist the pilot during night intruder
missions.

The 9th Air Force brass originally vetoed the idea, however, one
aircraft was modified "on the sly" and the results proved the
concept. After flight testing the modified aircraft, 9th AF officials
changed their minds and authorized the conversion for all turretless
P-61As.

That is it for today. More tomorrow.

Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 10:04:58 -0400
From:    Norrin M Ripsman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U-boats as of 1937

Thanks for the list Bill.

I now have a related question.  I have read in Cajjus Bekker's HITLER'S
NAVY (courtesy of Terry Moore), V. E. Tarrant's U-BOATS AND T-BOATS and
other sources that while Donitz was gaining support for using the wolfpack
strategy to employ the U-boat as a commerce raiding weapon [at night on
the surface like it was used successfully in 1918], the British Royal Navy
discounted the U-boat as strategically significant.  Their calculation was
based primarily upon the convoy system and ASDIC.  This seems like a
foolish determination, especially since ASDIC could only be helpful in
detecting submerged submarines.

Is anyone aware of any British or French military opinion before the war
which was concerned about German U-boats?  [Under the terms of the 1935
Anglo-German Naval Treaty, Germany was allowed, at its discretion, to
reach parity in tonnage with the British submarine fleet].  In addition
did the British or French view the German bomber force [which possessed a
numerical superiority vis-a-vis both the British and the French] as a
threat to commerce?

Thanks in advance,

Norrin M. Ripsman

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 10:26:38 EDT
From:    Joe Cafaro <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

This is my first posting to this list.  I must say that I am thoroughly
enjoying it!  I would like to add to the discussion on Leon Degrelle
by pointing out that a recent book on Degrelle and the Rexist Movement
in Belgium has been published.  The citation is as follows:
"Collaboration In Belgium: Leon Degrelle And The Rexist Movement
1940-1944".  By Martin Conway, Yale Univ. Press, 1993.  ISBN #
0-300-05500-5.  Once again, many thanks to all of you for the
quality of this list.

                                        Joe Cafaro
                                        History Dept.
                                        LaGrange College
                                        LaGrange, Ga. 30240
                                        e-mail JCafaro@Mentor.
                                        LGC.Peachnet.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 11:39:43 -0400
From:    "John E. Kollar" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Recoilless guns

Steve, you're right,
the gun losses alot of efficiency in the turm of muzzle velocity, but
I don't know of the effiency lost.  In early version, the anti-recoil
was a solid shot that fell out the rear of the gun, but more advanced
version vented gas and smaller projectiles out of tubes in the rear
of the gun, causing huge backblast.  The lost of efficiency is shown
in the lack of modern systems that use the recoilless gun, either
a modern gun is made, or a rocket/missile is created, the recoilless
gun basically fits between the two and is not as good as either.

BTW, I consider myself a techie, just because I don't use terms like
that people don't understand, but I believe in being a 'gentle' techie,

John E. Kollar

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 11:55:41 -0400
From:    "John E. Kollar" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: recoilless guns and misc.

Also, Mark, the current generation of American ships could be seen as the
parallel to the Dido, Atlanta, et al classes of AA cruisers, but the
vertical launch system that the US ships employ can also be used for the
Tomahawk ASM, and the ships also carry 8 Harpoon missiles, which gives
them a potent anti-surface capability, and the Standard missiles also
have a secondary anti-ship capability, which while it won't sink anyone,
it will shred all their topside fittings.
Note: I played out once a battle between the Kirov and the Tico VLS
version, the Tico shot down all of the Kirovs missiles, and the Kirov
shot down all of the Ticos ASMs, but then the Tico got close enough
to use her Standards as ASMs and took every radar and fitting of the
Kirov, then closed and used her five inch guns on the now defenceless
hulk.  Weird scenario.

John E. Kollar
(ps I'll write soon)

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 12:26:44 -0400
From:    "John E. Kollar" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Bye

Thanks for an engrossing semester people, I'll see you in september,
thanks for all the help to,

John E. Kollar

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 10:17:03 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U-boats as of 1937

Norrin...
When the Anglo-German Naval Treaty concluded in 1935, the British agreed
to an expansion of the German fleet to 35% of the total tonnage of the
Royal Navy -- 45% for submarines.
        At that time, the German Naval High Command believed (like the
British) that Sonar/ASDIC would render the submarine obsolete as a serious
weapon. A German Navy directive in October 1936 announced, "... The
unrestricted submarine warfare that led to American entry into World War
One could no longer be considered". For the next year or so. all Raeder's
plans were towards the expectation of surface raiding.
        Perhaps the failure to attain the ambitious naval-building "Plan Z"
had sosmething to do with swerving back to emphasis on U-boat undersea
operations. Or maybe by 1939 both sides had come around to seeing that
even ASDIC would likely only change U-boat warfare, not necessarily end it.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 10:39:37 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U-boats as of 1937

Norrin...
        You ask, did the British/French consider the German bomber
force as a threat to commerce?
        Probably. However, there was far more apprehension about the
German bomber force as threat to the civilian population. Ever since
indiscriminate bombing of cities from the air was introduced by Germany
in the First World War, that prospect haunted British and French politicians
and military leaders.
        Their fear, and that of the population of London and Paris remained
from the terror of bombing raids by German Zeppelins, and heavy Giant and
Gotha bombers, which had raided the two capitals repeatedly in 1917 and 1918.
German bomber aircraft then inflicted almost 5000 civilian casualties in
London alone.  By 1938, knowledge of great advances in German aircraft
technology seemed a hideously dangerous threat.

See:   THE SKY ON FIRE: The First Battle Of Britain,
        by Raymond H. Fredette, Harcourt Brace, NY, 1966.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 13:01:51 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIV Colorization

> Whilst I have no problems with the preservation of WW-II films to
> prevent their being lost forever, why can't they re-print them in
> B&W? Why must it be color? Why can't they present both versions
> to the public, so we can have our choice???

A year or so ago, Congress actually enacted legislation calling for the
creation of a permanent archive of historical and classic American films
(via the Smithsonian, perhaps?)

These films are required to be preserved in their _original_ form.

This was prompted by the mass undertaking of colorization and, in fact,
sparked at least in part by the fears that a black and white copy of
Casablanca may eventually be lost to time in the colorization world.

A number of films were marked for required preservation and the concept
was apparently to add to that list on an annual basis.

Since that time, I've heard nothing about this process.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 13:05:50 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIV Colorization

> >        There is a faint silver lining to colorization.  Before they
> >perform the procedure, they search and splice to get the absolute best,
> >most complete print of the film.  This means that a number of films (such
> >as 12:00 high) that might have had large sections lost due to breaks etc.
> >now exist once again in a "new" copy like it was when they showed it in
> >the theater.  I just turn down the color in my set, grab a beer and.
> >enjoy it the way God intended.
>
> Good point, Steve.  While we have discussed the 'loss' of much information
> (oral history) due to mortality stats closing in on the participants in
> WWII, the loss of much of the film media is also a real concern.  The old
> nitrate films just don't stand the test of time....and much has already
> been lost.  So while 'colorization' is certainly an affront to the artistic
> mind, it DOES provide a venue for preservation.  And whether or not we
> like it, we are living in a world that cries for color media.

Logic says that these films, of which the original nitrate stock will
eventually be destroyed (you can't stop the entropy), should be digitally
transferred to a medium that will withstand time and suffer little or no
signal loss.

These digital copies can be colorized to your hearts content easier than
film (at least it will be within a reasonable amount of time).

While I sometimes find colorized films intriguing, (all the color details
going into someone you _know_ will only be seen black and white), the black
and white original _must_ be preserved.  If not on original film stock, at
least on an acceptable digital method.

> It is disturbing, however, that so much of the filmed record is passing
> into the hands of a few moguls.  Hopefully their sense of posterity will
> prevent these items from being taken out of general circulation.

Ted Turner, one of the moguls, _wants_ you to see these films.  Unfortunately,
it has to be by his rules.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 15:10:31 EDT
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: military brats wanted

Did someone say "volunteers"? 'Gotta go now,... ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Wild, LAN Mgr.  Father of 1.5             Voice:          (401) 792-2611
ACC - Lippitt - URI  American Legion Post 102. FAX:            (401) 792-5479
Kingston, RI  02881                            Bitnet:           AWild@URIACC
                                               Internet: [email-masked]
Murphy's Mother's axioms:
 - Only errors exist.
 - One person's error is another person's data.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 12:27:01 PST
From:    "Jones, Scott T." <[email-masked]>
Subject: TRIV: Colorization of Films

     Robert Granvin wrote...

        "Ted Turner, one of the moguls, _wants_ you to see these films.
        Unfortunately, it has to be by his rules."

     And also his prices. Makes you wonder, when is enough money enough?
     Think he'll add white and blue to his "red" wife, Jane Fonda?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Scott T. Jones                | "Even a blind dog finds a bone
     Dahlgren, VA 22448  USA       |  once in a while."
     Internet: [email-masked]  |
_____________________________________________________________________________

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 14:55:32 -0500
From:    "Sue Hattabaugh, Valparaiso University" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Churchill and Seagulls

This may be a silly question but, in a history class a couple yrs.
ago I read or was told by prof. the legend that Churchill was
involved in a scheme to train seagulls to, ah, delicately put, "dirty"
periscopes of German subs.  Could this possibly be true?  I am
intrigued. I hope my ignorance isn't showing too badly.
Thanks,
Sue
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 13:11:11 -0700
From:    Jim Benn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: Battling Buzzards

I just finished the following book:
Battling Buzzards; the odyssey of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat
Team 1943-1945, by Gerald Astor.  Donald I. Fine, 1993.

I'd recommend the book as a good unit and combat history of this RCT.
With this List's affinity for Kelley's Heroes, I thought some might enjoy
this tidbit from the book (p.198).  The author is describing how a
replacement officer (Lt. John Saxion) made his way to the unit in
southern France.

Saxion had a history of going AWOL already, but while he was waiting in a
repple depple in Sicily, he found out his wife and child had been killed
in a car crash.  He flipped out, and here's what happened:

QUOTE

Saxion went AWOL again, and on this occasion hitched a ride with two
pilots to northern Italy in an observation plane. "They had only two
parachutes, none for me.  I joined a ragtag group of about twenty men,
all AWOL.  There were black Americans from service companies, some truck
drivers and quite a few British, including a lieutenant who acted as CO.
They had four jeeps, a weapons carrier and two 75mm howitzers.  Their
self-appointed mission was to fire  at targets of opportunity while
avoiding the MPs".

ENDQUOTE

Sounds like Kelley's Heroes without the gold.  Upon hearing of the
invasion of southern France, Saxion returned to the repple depple.  He
was court martialed, but came out with only a $500 fine and orders to
join the 517th ASAP.  A Colonel in charge of the depot confined him to
barracks thought, so he solved that problem by going AWOL again, finding
a C-47 that was due to fly a supply mission over southern France, and
jumping out over the general area where the 517th was deployed.  He found
them and presented his orders.

The book is full of fascinating stories of the men who made up this
unit.  The only odd note in the book was in the last chapter when the
author offered the opinion that "there was no great incidence of post
traumatic stress syndrome, the catch-all of the ills seemingly incurred
by participants in Vietnam".

After saying that (p. 321) he goes on the talk about the 517th vets who
have "nightmares, disturbing dreams..., flashbacks", and how the wife of
one vet said her husband often weeps when scenes of WWII are on TV.
Sounds like PST to me.  I was disturbed by this cheap shot at the Vietnam
generation of soldiers and the lack of understanding by the author as to
what the surviving vets were describing.

Otherwise, a worthwhile read.

 *=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*> Jim Benn  [[email-masked]] <*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
 |-=[        Auto-Graphics, Inc.       ]=[      /~~)       /~~)           ]=-|
 |-=[        8 West Main Street        ]=[     (__(_UTO - (__/RAPHICS     ]=-|
 |-=[        Niantic, CT  06357        ]=[              .___/             ]=-|
 *=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*>  PHONE: 800-733-6939 = FAX: 203-691-0183  <*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 16:31:12 EDT
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Adjunct Instructor,
         Marist Coll" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Churchill and Seagulls

>This may be a silly question but, in a history class a couple yrs.
>ago I read or was told by prof. the legend that Churchill was
>involved in a scheme to train seagulls to, ah, delicately put, "dirty"
>periscopes of German subs.  Could this possibly be true?  I am
>intrigued. I hope my ignorance isn't showing too badly.
>Thanks,
>Sue
>[email-masked]
Sue - I will check my Churchill books and other sources from the
International Churchill Society, but this story is a new one on me.
If you can wait a week or two, I am in correspondence (via snail
mail) with Prof. Martin Gilbert of Oxford University in England
(he is Churchill's official biographer and a WWII historian.) I'll
ask him if he ever heard of this story.
Regards-

Jonah Triebwasser
Adjunct Instructor
Marist College
Dyson Building (Adult Education)
Poughkeepsie, New York12601
Tel: (914) 575-3331, ext. 7037
E-Mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 14:01:41 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Churchill and Seagulls

:-)
        :-)
                :-)
!!!

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 17:06:00 PST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: To Drop or Not to Drop

From:   HSUVAX::WAR2         12-MAY-1994 16:57:39.94
To:     HIST301306
CC:
Subj:   bigbomb

From:   HIST301306    6-MAY-1994 16:42  6-MAY-1994 16:42:00.00
To:     WAR2
CC:
Subj:   To Drop or Not to Drop

Hi,

        Anyone notice that U.S. war policy is that of destroying nonmilitary,
civilian targets? Discounting the White Male Establishment, who keep foaming at
the mouth about saving 'American boys', it doesn't seem logical to kill
hundreds of thousands of noncombatants to terminate a war. Am I making any
sense? Look at WW2 bombing policy. Was it mostly aimed at military targets?
Maybe. But a hell of a lot was intended to "demoralize the citizenry". That
means killing them. The firebombings of Japanese cities, German cities (Dresden,
Hamburg, etc.), the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were all DELIBERATELY aimed
at civilian targets---'collateral damage' in Gulf War lingo. It's just like in
Panama, Vietnam, Iraq, and countless other "Just Causes" and "Good Wars". You
can't rationally justify it, but if you let Ruling Class apologists like Henry
Stimson or George Bush do your thinking for you, then it's easy to "feel proud
to be an American".   --Hoorah! Hoorah!--

                                                                -Dylan

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 20:04:09 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: To Drop or Not to Drop ... Dylan.  :-)

Was there an earthquake near a zoo, somewhere, folks?  :-)

Well, Dylan, I am pleased to tell you that we have a *West
  Point* history instructor on this list (by the name of
  Conrad Crane) who has just authored a book *defending*
  U.S. bombing policy,
                       and I am confident he will be able
  and eager to answer your every concern.  :-)

Incidentally, you aren't one of those ... who opposed our
  defense of the Indochinese and are now responsible for
  our desertion of them and the GENOCIDE which resulted,
  are you?  (OK.  I didn't think so.  :-)  )

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 13 May 1994 03:06:59 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: To Drop or Not to Drop

>         Anyone notice that U.S. war policy is that of destroying nonmilitary,
> civilian targets? Discounting the White Male Establishment, who keep foaming at
> the mouth about saving 'American boys', it doesn't seem logical to kill
> hundreds of thousands of noncombatants to terminate a war. Am I making any
> sense? Look at WW2 bombing policy. Was it mostly aimed at military targets?
> Maybe. But a hell of a lot was intended to "demoralize the citizenry". That
> means killing them. The firebombings of Japanese cities, German cities (Dresden,
> Hamburg, etc.), the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were all DELIBERATELY aimed
> at civilian targets---'collateral damage' in Gulf War lingo. It's just like in
> Panama, Vietnam, Iraq, and countless other "Just Causes" and "Good Wars". You
> can't rationally justify it, but if you let Ruling Class apologists like Henry
> Stimson or George Bush do your thinking for you, then it's easy to "feel proud
> to be an American".   --Hoorah! Hoorah!--

I don't know whether we should actually reply to such claims -- common
sense tells me that it is a waste of time to talk to conspiracy
theorists. Nevertheless...

It is certainly true that the US has bombed civilians at certain times,
especially during WWII. But it is not very clear if there was ever a
consensus in the US goverment to do this. Stimson insisted that the US
should and would only bomb military targets. Nevertheless, the USAAF could
freely admit that it policy in bombing Japan was to destroy the main
cities, not leaving one stone upon another. And while the USAAF in Europe
concentrated more on precision bombing, it did participate in attacks on
cities. Stimson seems not have approved this, but there was little that
he could do about it. He did rescue Kyoto from nuclear destruction, not
because of its population, but because of its art treasures...

It is important to remember that this was not the result of a deliberate
decision to kill civilians. But I do not consider it unlikely, in the
psychology of wartime, that there would have been widespread support for
such decision in the allied populations, had the subject ever been raised;
anything to end and win the war. For a long period, boming was to only
way to hit the Germans back.  (Likewise, if the killing of Iraqi civilans
was more or less accepted during the Gulf War, this had more to do with
the fact that the US population values the life of one American higher
than that of hundred Iraqi citizens, than with the moral standards of
George Bush.)

Rather, this bombing policy came to be as a consequence of the limitations
of WWII bombing. It simply was almost impossible for the average bomber
crew to hit a 'small' target such as a factory or bridge.  The destruction
of such targets would involve numerous attacks, heavy losses, and only a
very small percentage of bombs would actually hit the target. Cities are
large and vulnerable targets; they became the aiming point for most most
bombs more by default than by decision. You are quite right that the
'destruction of the morale' was an euphemism for the killing of
civilians. Such things are all too easy to justify --- after all, the
worker in a war factory is just as important to the war effort as a
soldier on the battlefield. General Le May justified the fire-bombing of
Japanese cities by pointing out that many people were producing small
items at home.

After WWII it was acknowledged that the effects this city-bombing had on
the enemy war effort had been overestimated. In general, this kind of
bombing is considered ineffective.

Off the topic of this list: A lot of 'carpet-bombing' was done in Vietnam,
primarily intended to hit factories and ports, but many of these bombs
must have hit civilians. In Panama and Iraq, all bombing was intended for
military targets. Of course civilians were hit; some as a result of bad
intelligence, some because they just happened to be at the wrong place at
the wrong time, and probably most because the bombs missed their real
target. (Despite all videos shown on CNN, most bombs dropped in this war
were 'dumb', unguided weapons.) The civilian damage was of course (and you
can hardly blame them for it) over-published by the government of Iraq,
and mis-interpreted by journalists.

The single most important fact about war journalism is that most
journalists know very little about wars, and that their conclusions are
very unreliable --- they are prone to repeat what some other journalist
dreamed up after he saw a Pentagon video. Identifying a KC-135 as a
'bomber' can be forgiven, but sometimes their errors are more serious.
Here in Belgium one journalist concluded from the damaged houses in
Baghdad that the USAF had 'area-bombed' the city -- probably she had never
seen a picture of Berlin in 1945. Also in the other direction: A rather
large number of journalists has forgotten, or has never known, all about
the politics, strategy and tactics of the Gulf War, and is know praising
smart bombs as the answer to the problems of the world, beginning in
Bosnia, Somalia, Ruanda, Sudan, and a few other places.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 18:47:45 +0000
From:    Julian E Gomez <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIV Colorization

>Whilst I have no problems with the preservation of WW-II films to
>prevent their being lost forever, why can't they re-print them in
>B&W? Why must it be color? Why can't they present both versions
>to the public, so we can have our choice???

They have. The public won't pay for B&W. The public WILL pay for colorized
B&W films. You don't think Ted Turner is colorizing films out of the
goodness of his heart, do you?

"I was a precocious child and obviously destined to be a scientist."

        Dr. Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
        Apple Computer, Inc.  408/862-1289 or 996-1010
        [email-masked]  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 22:48:56 EDT
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Adjunct Instructor,
         Marist Coll" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: To Drop or Not to Drop

>
>        Anyone notice that U.S. war policy is that of destroying nonmilitary,
>civilian targets? Discounting the White Male Establishment, who keep foaming at

Hitler was nothing without the German people behind him. Demoralize
them and you begin to win the war. England survived the first two
years of the war precisely because their morale was strong. Churchill
spent a great deal of time and energy bucking up British morale.

>the mouth about saving 'American boys', it doesn't seem logical to kill
>hundreds of thousands of noncombatants to terminate a war. Am I making any
>sense? Look at WW2 bombing policy. Was it mostly aimed at military tar ets?

No you are not making sense. Japan was ready to fight to the last
man, woman and child...to make the allies pay in blood for every inch
of Japanese soil we stepped on if we invaded...until the A-Bombs
were dropped. If you were in the Pacific theater instead of safe at
home writing nonsense about white male power establishments (sic)
you would have been damned glad the war was brought to a speedy end.

>Stimson or George Bush do your thinking for you, then it's easy to "feel proud
>to be an American".   --Hoorah! Hoorah!--

And who does your thinking for you? Have you actually read any history,
or are you just spouting what some college professor* has spoon fed you
from the trough of political correctness?
I hope you appreciate that our right to exchange these views right
here, right now was paid for in the blood of those "American Boys"
and I applaud any action that brought WWII to a quicker end.

 *Not that there is anything wrong with teaching in College (see below!)

Jonah Triebwasser
Adjunct Instructor
Marist College
Dyson Building (Adult Education)
Poughkeepsie, New York12601
Tel: (914) 575-3331, ext. 7037
E-Mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 22:58:36 EDT
From:    "Jonah Triebwasser, Adjunct Instructor,
         Marist Coll" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: To Drop or Not to Drop

>target. (Despite all videos shown on CNN, most bombs dropped in this war
>were 'dumb', unguided weapons.) The civilian damage was of course (and you

Emanuel's post reminds me of a conversation I had during the Gulf War
with my late father, a much decorated bombardier in WWII
with 25+ missions over Germany and other fun places in Europe. I asked
him if he had seen on CNN one of the smart bombs fly right through the
window of a building (as seen through the nose camera.) The Old Man
was not impressed and said that his crew did that routinely! When
I expressed some doubt he said "Look, we dropped so many bombs that one
must have gone through a window somewhere!"

Jonah Triebwasser
Adjunct Instructor
Marist College
Dyson Building (Adult Education)
Poughkeepsie, New York12601
Tel: (914) 575-3331, ext. 7037
E-Mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 May 1994 20:11:45 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: To Drop or Not to Drop

You make excellent points, Emmanuel.
        Something that often strikes me in viewing commentary or this list
is the selective amnesia of some people. There's endless 'compassion" for
or then-enemies, yet scarcely a thought or mention given to the suffering
of the victims of German bombing raids. Virtually every major city in
Europe had already been bombed ruthlessly by the Luftwaffe, with considerable
relish and efficiency, long before the RAF and USAAF were able to declare
"pay-back time". Bombing their cities was nothing more than a case of
"he
who sows the wind, must reap the whirlwind".

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 11 May 1994 to 12 May 1994
*************************************************