Subject: WWII-L Digest - 9 Jul 1994 to 10 Jul 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 1994 00:01:16 -0400

There are 5 messages totalling 404 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Kim Il Sung -- One source
  2. INF: USN Chronology 07-10-94
  3. INF: 50 Years Ago - 10-JUL-1944
  4. Japan waged war!
  5. <No subject given>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Jul 1994 01:56:56 -0400
From:    Emery Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Kim Il Sung -- One source

Hi again everyone,

I found a source and thought you might enjoy it.  Does anyone
know anything else about Kim's purported role in the battle of
Stalingrad?  Doesn't this passage imply he fought with Chuikov's
Sixty-second Army that held Stalingrad determinedly?

Emery
===================================================================

        Kim Sung Chu, now known as Kim Il Sung, was born in April 1910, the
eldest son of a farmer named Kim Hung Jin.  He had two younger brothers.
His father took part in the 1918 uprising against the Japanese in Seoul,
was placed in jail, where he eventually died.  Kim and his two brothers
fled
to Manchuria, where he attended middle school in Kirin, but did not
graduate.  He left school in 1929 and joined the Communist Party and was
local secretary in Kirin of the Communist Young Man's League in East
Manchuria.  At the time he started his carrer as a guerrilla leader, and
for some time was in the army of Wu I-cheng during the early 1930's.
Korean guerillas were then very active in easrtern Manchuria.  He was
undoubtedly a very able guerilla, and thus came to the attention of the
real Kim Il Sung.  The younger Kim was active in arranging an alliance with
the North Manchuria forces, and in 1936 an allied anti-Japanese force was
established.  The Second and Sixth Corps of this guerilla army appear to to
have been composed of Koreans.  He became commander of the Sixth Corps in
1938 and was very active in guerilla operations until 1939, when he was
driven out by the Japanese and fled to Soviet territory.  Definite
information about his stay in the USSR is lacking; ther are unconfirmed
reports that he attended a Soviet military academy, was commissioned as a
captain, and actually took part in the defense of Stalingrad, being
decorated for his service there.
        In August of 1945, Kim Sung Chu returned to North Korea with the
Russians as a captain in the Russian army. He cultivated Cho Man Sik, an
able Korean Nationalist and the most respected non-Communist leader in
North Korea, telling him privately that he, Kim, was a fervent nationalist
and did not believe in some of the Communist plans for Korea.  Taken in,
Cho introduced Kim at a liberation celebration in P'yongyang on 3 October
1945, as Kim Il Sung, describing him as an ardent Korean patriot and
nationalist.  Cho's reputation assured Kim of an enthusiastic reception
from the general public, which did not stop to consider that the real Kim
Il Sung must have been a much older man.
        Kim became immediately popular, and later the same month, with full
Soviet support, obtained leadership of the party from the local North
Korean Communists and from the titular head of the Korean Communist Party.

The reference cited for this material is:
US Army, _History of the North Korean Army_ HQ,FEC,MIS,G2, 31 July 1952,
90-91

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Jul 1994 01:18:19 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 07-10-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
07/10 Mon. Command designated United States Ports and Bases France
           (Rear Adm. J. Wilkes) is established with headquarters at
Cher-
           bourg, France.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Jul 1994 08:37:15 -0500
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 10-JUL-1944

On 10-JUL-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - Orders are issued by Montgomery for Operation Cobra, the US
     1st Army offensive to penetrate the defenses west of St Lo and to take
     Coutances. The VIII Corps advances south of La Haye-du-Puits. The 4th,
     9th and 83rd Divisions of the VII Corps continue advancing from the west.
     In the British sector, the British VIII Corps begins an offensive
     southwest of Caen in the area between the Odon and Orne rivers. The 43rd
     Division captures Eterville. In the Caen sector, the Canadian II Corps
     goes into action.

Eastern Front - Field-Marshal Model requests that Hitler allow the Army Group
     North withdraw across the Dvina to help with the defensive operations in
     the central sector. Hitler refuses. Army Group Centre has lost almost the
     entire 9th and 4th Armies. The 3rd Belorussian Front, surround Vilna in
     Lithuania.

New Guinea - The Japanese attack in force over the river Driniumor, inflicting
     heavy losses on the US 128th Infantry Regiment, in the Aitape sector.

Burma/China/India - The Chinese continue their very costly efforts to dislodge
     the Japanese from Sung Shan on the Salween river front. In India, the
     British XXXIII Corps drives the Japanese out of the immediate vicinity of
     the Ukhrul rail junction.

The Homefront
-------------
De Gaulle In New York - General Charles de Gaulle has arrived in New York and
     says that he had had "comforting talks" with President Roosevelt. Mayor
     Fiorello H. LaGuardia gives him full recognition, calling him "the symbol
     of Free France".

Half-Year Steel Output A Record - The American Iron and Steel Institute
     reports that steel production in the first six months of 1944 was
     45,061,075 tons.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Jul 1994 13:09:23 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Japan waged war!

Yes, it's now official. Don't forget you saw it here first. (Well, maybe
you didn't; I don't know what JN is.)

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

New education minister raps Japan's wartime role
Source: JN      Date: Jul 07, 1994              Time: 04:47 am

  TOKYO, July 7 -- Education Minister Kaoru Yosano said Thursday the
Japanese people should reflect on the fact Japan inflicted damage to
peoples of other nations before and during World War II.
  "I think the war was definitely wrong and it is undoubtedly true that
(Japan) waged war on other nations," Yosano said in an interview with
Kyodo News Service.
  Japan "inflicted extensive human and material losses.  And surely we
must reflect on this," he said.
  Yosano, appointed education minister in the cabinet of Prime Minister
Tomiichi Murayama, declined to answer directly, however, if he thinks
Japan's military engagement was a "war of aggression."
  Last summer, then Prime Minister Morihiro Hosokawa called Japan's
campaign a "war of aggression" and a "mistaken war." Hosokawa made the
comment immediately after taking power last August as head of a coalition
government.
  Yosano, a 55-year-old legislator of the Liberal Democratic Party, is a
grandson of noted poets Tekkan and Akiko Yosano.
  Yosano said he thinks it has been established "by common law" that the
Hinomaru (rising sun) is the Japanese national flag and that Kimigayo (his
majosty's reign) is the national anthem.
  "It is true there are conflicting opinions but effort is needed to
establish these peacefully and properly over time," he said.
  The singing of Kimigayo and the raising of the Hinomaru flag at
graduation ceremonies from elementary schools on up have been encouraged
since fiscal 1992 as ceremonial activities stated in the educational
guidelines.
  Each year, however, a number of students and teachers refuse to sing
Kimigayo and protest the raising of the flag, seeing it as an expression
of revived nationalism and emperor worship.
  On the Education Ministry's school textbook screening system, Yosano
said it is "an established and useful system" although there is a need to
improve the screening pr. ocess.
  The ministry screens the content of history or civic education in
textbooks used in elementary, junior high and senior high schools before
they are distributed to students each spring.

(From DowVision)

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 10 Jul 1994 22:58:19 -0500
From:    "Danny G. Cox" <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.

--1915774904-936906553-773899099:#15300
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

--1915774904-936906553-773899099:#15300
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; name=TRUMAN
Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64
Content-ID: <Pine.3.89.9407102219.A15300@ozarks>
Content-Description:

--1915774904-936906553-773899099:#15300--

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 9 Jul 1994 to 10 Jul 1994
************************************************