Subject: WWII-L Digest - 31 Jul 1994 to 1 Aug 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 00:01:14 -0400

There are 30 messages totalling 1216 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Staged photographs
  2. INF: USN Chronology 08-01-94
  3. [INF] USAAF 1 AUG 44
  4. HIST: Humor
  5. Finland
  6. Top Ten list
  7. Battle of Malta (11)
  8. MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising
  9. INF: 50 Years Ago - 02-AUG-1944
 10. Russo-Finnish War was MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising
 11. Finnish AF
 12. INF: Periodicals (3)
 13. Finnish Brewsters (Was: Warsaw Uprising) (2)
 14. RAF Training Command (2)
 15. Re[2]: INF: Periodicals
 16. [INF] USAAF 2 AUG 44

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 09:05:00 BST
From:    Stephen Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Staged photographs

>Another of these which comes to mind is the famous film sequence of
>Hitler dancing a jig when the Nazis conquered France. In fact, a Canadian
>film maker took a short clip of Hitler stamping his foot and ran it over
>and over making him 'dance'. Cheers,
>David Rising

this is another interesting one that is put out on TV quite a lot.
Funny...no-one ever says "the following clip is in fact a fake..."

steve baldwin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 01:30:35 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 08-01-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
08/01 Tue. Organized Japanese resistance ends on Tinian, Marianas
           Islands.
           United States Naval Air Base, Tinian, Marianas Islands,
           established.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 07:03:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 1 AUG 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 1 AUGUST 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-4, Lockheed Lightning
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 8 B-25s bomb several points along
the railway from Naba to Hopin; fighter-bombers attack Shwegu, hit bridges in
the Mohnyin area, and support ground forces in the Myitkyina and Taungni
sectors.
  During Aug, the 89th Fighter Squadron, 80th Fighter Group, based at
Nagaghuli, India with P-47s, sends a detachment to operate from Dergaon.

 CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 8 B-25s bomb Wuchang Airfield; 2
others hit the town of Siangyin; 90+ P-40s and P-51s on armed reconnaissance
hit trucks, troops, supplies, and river shipping in and around Hengyang,
Leiyang, Sinshih, Hengshan, Liling, Changsha, and Siangyin; and the airfield
and railroad yards at Hengyang are also bombed.
  During Aug, the 21st Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, Fourteenth Air
Force, based at Kunming with F-4s and F-5s, sends a detachment to operate
from Kanchow, China.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

 STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 508: 1,291 bombers and
432 fighters are dispatched to attack airfields, bridges and tactical
targets in France; 5 bombers and 4 fighters are lost (number in parenthesis
indicate bombers bombing):
  1. 193 of 195 B-17s drop 2,281 containers of supplies to French Resistance
forces (Operation BUICK) at four locations in SE France, i.e., Chalon-Sur-
Saone, the Savoie area, Haute-Savoie and W of Geneva; 5 B-17s are damaged; 3
P-51 groups furnish escort.
  2. 76 of 100 B-17s bomb Tours Airfield; 1 B-17 is lost, 1 damaged beyond
repair and 5 damaged; 6 airmen are WIA and 10 MIA. Escort is flown by 51 of
53 P-51s; 2 P-51s are lost and 2 damaged beyond repair.
  3. 400 of 416 B-17s attack 5 airfields and a railway bridge in the area S
and SW of Paris; airfields hit: Orleans/Bricy (112), Chateaudun (108), Melun
(59), Chartres (58), and Etampes.Mondesir (12); 36 hit Chartres Bridge, and
15 hit targets of opportunity; 3 B-17s are lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and
32 damaged; 9 airmen are KIA and 27 MIA.  Escort is provided by 138 P-38s and
P-51s; 3 P-51s are damaged and 1 pilot is KIA.
  4. 284 of 389 B-24s is dispatched to bomb targets in the Paris environs;
bad weather causes 100+ aborts; 66 hit Rouen; airfields hit: Melun (47),
Orleans/Bricy (29), Villeroche (12) and Chartres (6); bridges hit: Nogent (44)
Montereau (24), Nanteuil (12), and Coulommiers (11); and 33 hit targets of
opportunity: 1 B-24 is lost, 3 are damaged beyond repair and 85 damaged; 20
airmen are MIA. Escort is provided by 127 P-47s and P-51s; they claim 3-0-0
Luftwaffe aircraft on the ground; 2 P-47s are lost, 1 P-51 is damaged beyond
repair and 3 P-47s are damaged.
  5. 191 B-24s, sent against 8 V-weapon sites in NW France, runs afoul of bad
weather which causes multiple aborts; 61 of the planes manage to bomb 3
sites; 5 B-24s are damaged; escort is provided by 81 of 84 P-47s.
  Mission 509: 6 of 6 B-17s drop leaflets on France and Belgium during the
night.
  In Aug, HQ 95th Combat Bombardment Wing (Heavy) moves from Halesworth to
Ketteringham, England.

 TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, the XIX Tactical Air
Command becomes operational in conjunction with the US Third Army; the
Ninth's fighter and fighter-bomber groups (Ninth Air Force refers to them
collectively as fighter-bomber groups) are divided between the IX and XIX
Tactical Air Commands; about 250 B-26s and A-20s bomb rail bridges at
Mezieres-sur-Seine, Maintenon, Les Ponts-de-Ce, Chartres, Cinq Mars-la-Pile,
Bouchmaine, Nogent-sur-Loir, and Bourth; XIX Tactical Air Command fighters
carry out armed reconnaissance and rail bombing missions in the Alencon,
Dreux, Chartres, Nogent-sur-Loir, Le Mans, Sable-sur-Sarthe, Laval and Sille-
le-Philippe areas, while IX Tactical Air Command fighters fly armored column
and assault area cover, and armed reconnaissance in the battle areas; and HQ
71st Fighter Wing moves from Ecrammeville to St-Pierre-Eglise.
  In France during Aug, HQ IX Fighter Command moves from Les Obeaux to Canisy
and HQ 354th Fighter Group moves from Criqueville to Gael.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

 STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Bad weather limits operations to
reconnaissance missions.

 TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers hit bridges
in the Po Valley, N of Genoa, at Canneto sull'Oglio, Balossa, Vigone, Ronco
Scrivia, and Ovada, and a marshalling yard at Imperia; fighter-bombers
concentrate on airfields in the Po Valley (at Villanova d'Albenga, Airasca,
and Venaria Reale), hit small landing grounds throughout the area, and attack
several communications targets including roads, rail lines, bridges, and
railroad cars.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  ARMY AIR FORCES, PACIFIC OCEAN AREAS (AAFPOA): AAFPOA is activated at
Hickam Field, Territory of Hawaii with Lieutenant General Millard Harmon as
Commanding General. Harmon is to be responsible to Lieutenant General Robert
C Richardson, Jr, Commanding General US Army Forces, Pacific Ocean Areas
(USAFPOA), for logistics and administration, and to Admiral Chester W Nimitz,
Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Ocean Areas (CINCPOA), for operations of AAF air
units except those of the Twentieth Air Force. Harmon also is Deputy
Commander of the Twentieth Air Force and is responsible directly to General
Henry H "Hap" Arnold in all matters affecting the Twentieth in the POA.

  SEVENTH AIR FORCE: The Seventh AF comes under control of AAFPOA. B-25s
based on Makin Island, Gilbert Islands, hit Ponape Island, Caroline Islands.
In the Marianas Islands, organized resistance ends on Tinian Island; P-47s
and P-61s on Saipan Island will continue steady daylight and night combat
patrols and strikes almost around the clock to the fall of Guam Island on 10
Aug; most of the P-47 flying is devoted to neutralizing airfields on Pagan
and Rota Islands and to direct support of Marine and Army forces fighting on
Saipan, Guam, and Tinian Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24's bomb Utagal
Island, Caroline Islands and Namlea Airfield on Buru Island, Moluccas
Islands. In New Guinea, weather cancels scheduled strikes against the
Vogelkop Peninsula area, but a few B-25s hit shipping in the islands to the
W, sinking luggers off Kaboe and Salawat Islands and strafing troops on the
shores of MacCluer Gulf; the weather also restricts operations against the
Wewak area; and a few P-39s strafe coastal trails.
  In the Solomon Islands during Aug, HQ 42d Bombardment Group (Medium) moves
from the Stirling Islands to Hollandia, New Guinea; and the 12th Fighter
Squadron, 18th Fighter Group, that has been operating from the Treasury
Islands returns to base on Guadalcanal Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------
01/1105Z Aug

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 07:49:53 -0400
From:    Warren Thompson <[email-masked]>
Subject: HIST: Humor

An amusing and likely aprocryphal Patton story from Lynn H. Nicholas,
THE RAPE OF EUROPA: THE FATE OF EUROPE'S TREASURES IN THE THIRD REICH AND THE
SECOND WORLD WAR [Knopf, 1994], p.224:

During the Sicilian campaign, Patton visited the Greek temple ruins at
Agrigento, and "... having taken the warnings on preservation in the invasion
directive to heart, [he] was reputed to have angrily demanded of a local
resident if the roofless temple before him had been damaged by American
artillery. 'No,' answered the farmer through an interpreter. 'That was done
during the last war.' Patton, who considered himself a history buff, was
puzzled. 'Last war?' he asked. 'When was that?' 'Oh, that,' replied the
Italian, 'that was the second Punic War.'"

-- Warren Thompson
LEBANON VALLEY COLLEGE
Annville PA 17003

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 07:52:59 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Finland

If anyone is interested, the best source on the Winter War of 1939 and the aid from various countries (at least the best source I've run across) is:
Trotter, A FROZEN HELL: THE RUSSO-FINNISH WINTER WAR OF 1939-1940 (1991).
Tim J. Watts
Valparaiso University
School of Law
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 08:54:00 EDT
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Top Ten list

My contribution to the top ten list:

The 1960's television sitcom "Hogan's Heroes", which illustrated
just how damn funny life in a Nazi prison camp could be.  Who can
forget Sgt. Shultz's "I know NUTH-ing, NUTH-ing!".

;-)   ;-)   ;-), etc. (Multiple winks to indicate lack of seriousness)

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

"Did you ever wonder what would happen if there were no hypothetical
situations?"

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 08:11:47 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Battle of Malta

Hello all-
Hopefully this is not some violation of list protocol, but I wanted some
input from obviously well-read and knowledgable persons.  I am interested
in sources on the Battle of Malta, June 1940 to early 1943.  The idea
of a small island, almost within sight of Sicily, holding out through
bombings and invasion scares, while striking back at Axis convoys to
Africa fascinates me.  I am interested in any sources you can suggest
on any aspect of the Battle, from the convoys to bring supplies in to
the Malta striking forces to Axis efforts to subdue it.  Books and
articles on the subject or containing substantial passages about Malta
are desired.  You can reply to me directly or to the list.  If there
is any desire from subscribers, I will gladly summarize the results
and post them to the list.  TIA.
Tim J. Watts
School of Law
Valparaiso University
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 22:24:12 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

Hello, Tim!

Several books come to mind but the battle of Malta is dealt with in
the context of the bigger picture. I would recommend:

    The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe by Herbert Malloy Mason
    The Luftwaffe War Diaries by Cajus Bekker
    Luftkrieg by Anthony Piekalkiwicz (in German, however)

There are many others, but not all come to mind. Let me get back to
you later on today. Sorry, but the mind is the second thing to go.

    More later.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 11:56:34 EDT
From:    Brian Nicklas <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

Try these two:
Malta: THe Hurricane Years: 1940-41 by Chris. Shores and Brian Cull
   London: Grub Street, 1987
Tattered Battlements: a fighter pilot's Malta diary by Tim Johnston
   rev ed London: William Kimber, 1985
Know the titles, can't comment on content.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 11:16:19 -0500
From:    Ian Wingfield <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

When I was in my early teens I read a book called "Faith, Hope and
Charity". It was about the 3 biplanes, that is what they were named, that
defended Malta in the air in the early part of the war. These three
biplanes took on the Italian airforce over Malta. I found it a very
interesting book then and this discussion has reminded me of it.

On Mon, 1 Aug 1994, Tim J. Watts wrote:

> Hello all-
> Hopefully this is not some violation of list protocol, but I wanted some
> input from obviously well-read and knowledgable persons.  I am interested
> in sources on the Battle of Malta, June 1940 to early 1943.  The idea
> of a small island, almost within sight of Sicily, holding out through
> bombings and invasion scares, while striking back at Axis convoys to
> Africa fascinates me.  I am interested in any sources you can suggest
> on any aspect of the Battle, from the convoys to bring supplies in to
> the Malta striking forces to Axis efforts to subdue it.  Books and
> articles on the subject or containing substantial passages about Malta
> are desired.  You can reply to me directly or to the list.  If there
> is any desire from subscribers, I will gladly summarize the results
> and post them to the list.  TIA.
> Tim J. Watts
> School of Law
> Valparaiso University
> [email-masked]

**********************************************************
* Ian Wingfield                                          *
* 447 Emerson Avenue  "A closed mouth gathers no feet"   *
* Winnipeg R2G1G8                                        *
* Manitoba, Canada                                       *
**********************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 12:37:55 -0500
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising

The US sold 54 Brewster Buffaloes to the Finns in early '41.  The French
sent a small shipment of Morane-Saulnier MS 406 fighters, and the British
provided a dozen Hurricanes plus some Blenheim bombers (a type already in
use by the small Finnish air force)...and Italy, for all of Mussolini's
alleged lack of sympathy for the Finns, sold them 35 Fiat G50's.  The problem
was that most of these aircraft reached Finland after the March '41 armistice,
but most saw service in the "Continuation War" of 1941-44, where the Buffalo
and the G50 "Freccia" apparently did a lot better in Finnish hands than they
were generally reported to have done anywhere else...(these fighter types
helped replace the old Dutch Fokker D21 until the Me-109G was provided by
the Germans early in '43)

Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 09:39:14 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 02-AUG-1944

On 02-AUG-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the British sector, the VIII and XXX Corps are advancing
     towards the road that links Vire and Argentan. The US VIII Corps is
     pushing strongly towards Brittany. The 6th Armoured Division reaches
     Dinan; while the 4th gains ground around Rennes. The US VII Corps is
     advancing rapidly towards Mortain. The XIX Corps is advancing southeast
     of Tessy. Hitler orders a counter-attack between Mortain and Avrances to
     cut off the American units in Brittany.

Eastern Front - The 3rd Belorussian Front captures Kaunas, capital of
     Lithuania.

Marianas - On Guam, the 3rd Marine Division is advancing northwards unopposed.
     On the right flank, the 77th Infantry Division is held up near Barrigada
     by the Japanese resistance. On Tinian, the last organized resistance
     comes to an end. There are over 6,000 Japanese dead and 250 prisoners.
     The Americans have lost 390 killed and 1,800 wounded.

New Guinea - In the Aitape sector, the Japanese renew their attack but with
     little success. Both sides are having very high losses.

Burma/China - On the Salween river front, aircraft supporting the Chinese
     attacks on Teng-chung bomb the town walls and open a number of breaches.

Naval Dispatches
----------------
US destroyer escort FISKE (DE-143) sunk by submarine torpedo, North Atlantic
     area.

Foreign Affairs
---------------
Turkey Breaks With Nazis - The Turkish Government has broken diplomatic
     relations with Germany. The German news agency reports "should Turkey
     continue along this dangerous road ... war will of necessity follow."
     Premier Sukru Saracoglu discloses that the break was requested by Great
     Britain, supported by the United States and adds that the Allies have
     promised Turkey economic and military aid.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  ([email-masked]/[email-masked])
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 12:44:46 -0400
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

In reply to the mail from <[email-masked]>...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Received: from ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu by dpsc.dla.mil (5.61++/1.34)
>       id AA02577; Mon, 1 Aug 94 11:49:00 -0400
>Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>Received: from UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU by UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu (IBM VM SMTP V2R2)
>   with BSMTP id 5448; Mon, 01 Aug 94 11:45:07 EDT
>Received: from UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (NJE origin LISTSERV@UBVM) by
> UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (LMail V1.2a/1.8a) with BSMTP id 2675; Mon,
> 1 Aug 1994 11:25:13 -0400
>Date:         Mon, 1 Aug 1994 22:24:12 GMT-6
>Reply-To: World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
>Sender: World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
>From: "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
>Organization: Amarillo College PCAD-ML
>Subject:      Re: Battle of Malta
>To: Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>
>Status: RO
>
>Hello, Tim!
>
>Several books come to mind but the battle of Malta is dealt with in
>the context of the bigger picture. I would recommend:
>
>    The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe by Herbert Malloy Mason
>    The Luftwaffe War Diaries by Cajus Bekker
>    Luftkrieg by Anthony Piekalkiwicz (in German, however)
>
>There are many others, but not all come to mind. Let me get back to
>you later on today. Sorry, but the mind is the second thing to go.
>
>    More later.
>
>    Terry
>
Tim,

In addition to Terry's excellent selections, I would like to add:

     Siege Malta 1940-1943 by Ernle Bradford
     The War in the Air, The RAF in World War II, edited by
           Gavin Lyall

Good Luck.

Jim

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 23:45:46 +0700
From:    "Peter E. Beal" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Russo-Finnish War was MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising

In fact the Western Allies did contemplate sending assistance and even an
armed force to help the Finns, probably at Churchill's insistance.  But
Sweden and Norway, concerned about their neutrality, made it clear that
they would resist any armed force which tried to cross their territory.
I think the idea was dropped only when the war ended.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 14:08:20 EDT
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Finnish AF

Another American-built aircraft to see service with the Finns
was the Curtiss Hawk 75.  The aircraft had been built to fill
a French order, were captured by the Germans, who sold several
to Finland.  If memory serves, there is mention in the Finnish
ace Eino Luukannen's autobiography of scavenging spark plugs
and other useful bits and pieces from downed American-built
Soviet aircraft to maintain American-built Finnish aircraft.

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 13:41:58 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

MALTA STRIKING FORCES, about Force K, is excellent.  I am
  modeling the ships in paper.  The L/AA destroyers were
  truly beautiful ships.  There is this photo of one with
  a bone in its teeth that *stirs* you.

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 13:50:33 -0400
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Periodicals

        There seems to be some interest in various periodics.  Below are the
ones that I subscribe to accompanied by a brief critique of each.

        Military History Quarterly
        Subscription Department
        P.O. Box 597
        Mt. Morris, IL 61054-8039
        1-800-827-1218

        This is a quarterly publication of military history (hence the
name!:-).  It's a nicely bound, hardcover periodical covering all aspects
ranging from ancient times to current events.  The writers all seem to
have credentials as long as my arm and they are not above printing
controversial topics (such as a reinterpretation of Masada using
archeaological findings).  Each issue normally has at least one article
on WWII with a possibility of more.  (The last issue was devoted to the
Normandy invasion, the Warsaw uprising, the Falaise pocket, the Riviera
invasion, etc.)  It's about 110 pages, filled with photos, maps, and
paintings.  It's a bit pricey at $40 to $50 annually (depending on the
sale they're having).  They've been in business for five years so I don't
expect them to fold anytime soon.  If you can get over the price, this
is a nice addition to anyone's military library.

        Command Magazine
        P.O. Box 4017
        San Luis Obispo, CA 93403-9949
        1-800-488-2249

        This is a bimonthly magazine probably geared more toward gamers.
This magazine can be purchased with or without a game (ala Strategy and
Tactics).  The magazine offers a ton of short articles explaining some
bit of trivia, a few longer features that are decent but not very in-depth,
and one large feature upon which the optional game is based.  You can
tell that it's a gamers magazine since it has a ton of maps with the
dispositions of units marked.  The primary feature will have more than
one map (such as the Battle to Antietam showing positions every few hours).
Each issue will cover something on WWII but it will be fluff (in that it
won't go into very great detail) if it isn't the primary feature.  This
magazine will cover what-ifs (e.g., What if Czechoslavia had resisted
Germany?) going into great detail on the composition of both sides,
level of training, logistical support, etc. as well as proposed plans
(e.g., Invasion of Malta).  It's 80 pages or so and the basic subscription,
without the game, is $21.50 and, with game, is $90.00.  They're up to issue
#28 indicating a nearly five year track record.

        World War II
        P.O. Box 375
        Mt. Morris, IL 61054-7963
        1-800-435-9610

        Another bimonthly magazine devoted to World War II.  Decent
articles covering many aspects of the war.  The format is to detail
a weapon (aircraft, rifle, etc.), a personality, an undercover operation,
offer a couple of book reviews, a first-hand recounting, and four
in-depth articles.  As I've pointed out before, this magazine suffers
from rarely including any maps despite the detail of units that will
be given.  It's 74 pages and goes for $16.95 for a year's subscription.

        Anyone wish to add their faves?
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Crap Game: 14,000 gold bars!  Where are they?
    Kelly: In a bank...
Crap Game: In a bank?  Aren't you getting a little ambitious?
    Kelly: ...behind enemy lines.
Crap Game: Behind enemy lines... This could be the perfect crime!

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 15:27:04 -0500
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

More bibliographic sources for Malta:

        Red Duster White Ensign, by Ian Cameron (Doubleday)
        The Italian Navy In The Second World War, by Marc Antonio Bragadin
        The War At Sea, by Stephen Roskill
        (all deal primarily with naval aspects, seen from both sides;
        the first book is entirely about the Malta campaign & convoys;
        the other two deal with the entire war but have a number of
        lengthy passages on Malta--"War at Sea" is the RN official
        history, Bragadin is one of the leading WW2 Italian naval authors)
        The North African Campaign, by Jack Coggins
        (has a nice little summary chapter about Malta that crams a
        lot of factual information in a short space)
        Malta Spitfire, by George "Screwball" Buerling
        (memoir of the top Canadian ace of the war, who got most of
        his kills over Malta summer-fall '42)
        You might also check out the Jan '93 issue of Command
        magazine, as referenced in an earlier post by Joe Barone--
        it apparently has a feature on the proposed Axis invasion
        in '42 (cancelled in favor of throwing all resources behind
        Rommel's assault on Egypt)

        Finally, ole Winnie Churchill weighs in occasionally on the
        grand strategy view of Malta in his six-volume history of the war

        Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 15:36:18 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Finnish Brewsters (Was: Warsaw Uprising)

On Mon, 1 Aug 1994, Mike Yaklich wrote:
> The US sold 54 Brewster Buffaloes to the Finns in early '41.  The French
(snip)
> but most saw service in the "Continuation War" of 1941-44, where the Buffalo
> and the G50 "Freccia" apparently did a lot better in Finnish hands than they
> were generally reported to have done anywhere else...(these fighter types

Panu Kolju has posted some stuff on the Finnish Brewsters in
rec.aviation.military. He'd been reading a biography of the Finnish ace
Joppe Karhunen. (I may be spelling all this wrong, having very little
Finnish blood in veins.) There are several books about Karhunen in the
Library of Congress but all alas are in Finnish. I have Panu's email
address if Mike or anyone is interested in this subject.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 15:50:49 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: RAF Training Command

Question:  Is there anyone out there who know the reasons that the Canadian
Prime Minister refused to discuss a single Commonwealth Training Command
(most likely to be on Candian soil) in the pre-war years (either that or
pre-1941).

In a book I am reading there is mention that Dowding attempted to establish
this Command for all commonwealth Air Forces but it was the Canadian PM who
refused to discuss it - thus dooming the concept.  The author states that
the Australians, New Zealanders, British  (and possibly the South Africans)
were keen on the concept to cut training cost and time.  Perhaps was this
an attempt by the Canadian government to maintain authority and direction
over the RCAF.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 15:55:30 -0400
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Periodicals

In reply to the mail from <[email-masked]>...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>        There seems to be some interest in various periodics.  Below are the
>ones that I subscribe to accompanied by a brief critique of each.
>
>        Military History Quarterly
>        Subscription Department
>        P.O. Box 597
>        Mt. Morris, IL 61054-8039
>        1-800-827-1218
>
>        This is a quarterly publication of military history (hence the
>name!:-).  It's a nicely bound, hardcover periodical covering all aspects
>ranging from ancient times to current events.  The writers all seem to
>have credentials as long as my arm and they are not above printing
>controversial topics (such as a reinterpretation of Masada using
>archeaological findings).  Each issue normally has at least one article
>on WWII with a possibility of more.  (The last issue was devoted to the
>Normandy invasion, the Warsaw uprising, the Falaise pocket, the Riviera
>invasion, etc.)  It's about 110 pages, filled with photos, maps, and
>paintings.  It's a bit pricey at $40 to $50 annually (depending on the
>sale they're having).  They've been in business for five years so I don't
>expect them to fold anytime soon.  If you can get over the price, this
>is a nice addition to anyone's military library.
>
>        Command Magazine
>        P.O. Box 4017
>        San Luis Obispo, CA 93403-9949
>        1-800-488-2249
>
>        This is a bimonthly magazine probably geared more toward gamers.
>This magazine can be purchased with or without a game (ala Strategy and
>Tactics).  The magazine offers a ton of short articles explaining some
>bit of trivia, a few longer features that are decent but not very in-depth,
>and one large feature upon which the optional game is based.  You can
>tell that it's a gamers magazine since it has a ton of maps with the
>dispositions of units marked.  The primary feature will have more than
>one map (such as the Battle to Antietam showing positions every few hours).
>Each issue will cover something on WWII but it will be fluff (in that it
>won't go into very great detail) if it isn't the primary feature.  This
>magazine will cover what-ifs (e.g., What if Czechoslavia had resisted
>Germany?) going into great detail on the composition of both sides,
>level of training, logistical support, etc. as well as proposed plans
>(e.g., Invasion of Malta).  It's 80 pages or so and the basic subscription,
>without the game, is $21.50 and, with game, is $90.00.  They're up to issue
>#28 indicating a nearly five year track record.
>
>        World War II
>        P.O. Box 375
>        Mt. Morris, IL 61054-7963
>        1-800-435-9610
>
>        Another bimonthly magazine devoted to World War II.  Decent
>articles covering many aspects of the war.  The format is to detail
>a weapon (aircraft, rifle, etc.), a personality, an undercover operation,
>offer a couple of book reviews, a first-hand recounting, and four
>in-depth articles.  As I've pointed out before, this magazine suffers
>from rarely including any maps despite the detail of units that will
>be given.  It's 74 pages and goes for $16.95 for a year's subscription.
>
>        Anyone wish to add their faves?
>--
>Joe Barone
>[email-masked]
>Crap Game: 14,000 gold bars!  Where are they?
>    Kelly: In a bank...
>Crap Game: In a bank?  Aren't you getting a little ambitious?
>    Kelly: ...behind enemy lines.
>Crap Game: Behind enemy lines... This could be the perfect crime!
>
In addition to Joe's excellent selections, may I offer:

        Aviation History
        P.O. Box 368
        Mt. Morris Il 61054-7738
        1-800-435-9610

A bi-monthly magazine devoted to aviation history and heritage.
It covers the spectrum from the beginning up to the present
day's jets.  There are monthly features, i.e. Aerial Oddities,
Enduring Heritage, People & Planes, Book Reviews, Art of
Flight, Aviation Marketplace, and Events.  There are also four
in-depth articles, with one or two usually devoted to World War
II. For example, the Sept 94 issue has articles on the Avenger
and the last patrol of the U-134.  The U-134 article details the
three air attacks made on the sub trying to reach the Caribbean
in 1943.  Usually a good read, if you're into airplanes.

         Military History
         P.O. Box 373
         Mt. Morris Il
         1-800-435-9610

Another bi-monthly from the Cowles History Group.  Very similar
in format to the above-mentioned World War II.  There are
monthly features on Espionage, Personality, Weaponry,
Perspectives, Book reviews, Travel and Militaria Marketplace.
There usually is an interview, e.g. the latest issue has an
interview with a D-Day participant, and four in-depth articles
spanning the centuries of military history.  The latest issue
has articles on the Crusades, the English Civil War, the
British-Afghan War of 1880, and the War of 1812.  An excellent
beginning for the interested observer of military history.
Provides a good starting point for further pursuit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 16:06:44 CDT
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: INF: Periodicals

One magazine I can recommend, but can not tell you how to get it--is
Militaria--this is the same magazine that has been published in French
for many years, and has recently started coming out in english.  It is
expensive ($80 price range) but worth it for the photos alone!.
Unfortunatley I have seen it, and don;t have to copy to tell you how to
subscribe to it--it you have an english copy please tell us all!

I kinda like Der Panzergrenadier, but then again I produce it for my
reenactment unit, 11th Panzer, so I'm a little biased!  Mine is about 12
pages of heavily plagiarized material photocopied and mailed to the
members of my unit.

TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 14:17:55 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

One indication of the fierceness, importance, and valor of the "battle
of Malta" is that it -- the entire siald and its people -- was awarded
the George Cross by the King.
The GC is the second highest medal for bravery in the British Commonwealth.
        To this day the (now independant) country of Malta includes that
honour in its name -- Malta GC.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 17:15:27 -0500
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Finnish Brewsters (Was: Warsaw Uprising)

Boy, I'd be interested in anything you put me on to regarding the Finnish
air effort in WW2...including those postings on the other list, addresses,
whatever you've got... thanks a ton, this sounds really interesting.

        Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 17:42:15 EDT
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Periodicals

Joe Barone provides excellent info on some WWII publications. Here is another
one.
Title is World War II Review
published by Jim Auld
Broadhead Publishing
Broadhead, Castleshaw, Delph, Oldham OL 3 5LZ
England

It is a 16 page newsletter format publication with interesting articles.
Recent issue has cover photo of crew of submarine Barb and review of book on
same. Has notices of reunions, book reviews, longer articles on various
topics - for instance Scharnhorst battle. Another recent issue has article on
Russian sailors fighting in battle for defense of Moscow in 1941 from first
hand account of Russian participants. The review features first person
information whenever possible.  6 issue subscription costs $20.
Another journal is the World war II historical Journal published by Ray
Merrimam at his World War II Historical Society, 218 Beech Street, Bennington
VT 05201. He has many back issues available and also a catalog featuring all
sorts of unusual books and documents related to WWII.

While I am at it, I was going to point out - relevant to recent post about
the U. S. Army's historical series o nthe War - that it is being reprinted by
the GPO in a 50 year anniversary edition i npaperback. The cost is
considerably below commercial prices I have seen. The especial value of the
series (books I have to date at least) is that the paperback is accompanied
with an excellent folder of large maps. There is a nice catalog "Publications
of the U. S. Army Center of Military History" available from GPO- the address
is Superintendent of Documents  - PO Box 371954 - Pittsburg PA - 15250

john sloan
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 01:15:03 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

On Mon, 1 Aug 1994, Ian Wingfield wrote:

> When I was in my early teens I read a book called "Faith, Hope and
> Charity". It was about the 3 biplanes, that is what they were named, that
> defended Malta in the air in the early part of the war. These three
> biplanes took on the Italian airforce over Malta. I found it a very
> interesting book then and this discussion has reminded me of it.

In that case, it was not a very reliable source, because (spreading this
to the net for the third of fourth time) that story is a myth. It is true
that the Hal Far Fighter Flight did use a number of Sea Gladiators. There
were more than three, however, and no such names were ever used.  The
history of the Gloster Gladiator is told in Aeroplane Monthly, April and
May 1992 issues. The article includes a short discussion of the use of
Gladiators on Malta.

I certainly would like to know who created this indestructible urban
legend?

Concerning Malta: the story of the convoys that carried Spitfires to Malta
was told in AIR International, September 1992 issue.

I also remember reading the autobiography of a former Swordfish pilot,
named (If my memory does not fail) Lamb. Most of the book is about his
experiences in the Atlantic, the Mediterranean, Greece, North Africa and a
POW camp in French North-Africa, but there is also an interesting story
about the time when he commanded a Swordfish unit on Malta. I don't
remember the title, but anyway, it was a translation, and the *Dutch*
title wouldn't help you much. Does someone know the book?

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 07:20:21 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

> Hello, Tim!

    Here goes with some books on this subject to supplement those
already sent to you:

    The Rise of the Luftwaffe by Herbert Malloy Mason
    The War in the Air: The RAF in WWII by Gavin Lyall
    The Hinge of Fate by Winston Churchill
    A History of the Luftwaffe by John Killen
    The Life and Death of the Luftwaffe by Werner Baumbach
    With Rommel in the Desert by H.W. Schmidt
    Duce by Richard Collier
    The March to Tunis by Alan Moorehead
    1942: The Year that Doomed the Axis by Capt. Henry H. Asbury, USNR
    Rommel by Ronald Lewin

                                    Hardbacks

    The Turn of the Tide, 1939-1943 by Anthony Bryant
    Stukageschwader Immelmann by Holger Nauroth (German)
    Air War by Edward Jablonski
    The War in the Desert, WWII Time-Life Books
    The Brutal Friendship by H.W. Deakin
    The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe:The Life of Field-Marshal
Erhard Milch by David Irving
    Rommel by Douglas Home
    The Trail of the Fox by David Irving
    The Rommel Papers by B.H. Liddell-Hart
    Hitler's War by David Irving
    The Last European War by David Lukacs

    There are many others. Almost any general history of the war will
have something to say about Malta.

    Hope this helps. These and many others are in my personal
possession.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 21:14:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 2 AUG 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 2 AUGUST 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-36, North American Apache
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force): The detachment of the 28th Fighter Squadron,
XXVI Fighter Command, operating from Pocri, Panama with P-39s, returns to
base at Chame, Panama.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, P-51s, P-47s and A-36s support
ground forces in the Taungni area; P-51s and P-47s on patrols and armed
reconnaissance hit various targets of opportunity around Katha, Mainghka,
Meza, Helon, Mohnyin, Bilumyo, and Namma; and P-40s attack gun positions and
strongpoints at Myitkyina. In India, HQ 3d Combat Cargo Group moves from
Sylhet to Dinjan; and the 315th Troop Carrier Squadron, 443d Troop Carrier
Group, moves from Sookerating to Ledo, India with C-47s.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 11 B-25s and 32 P-40s and P-38s
bomb and strafe the town of Tengchung; 9 P-40s and P-38s damage a bridge at
Tingka; and Yangtze River shipping and supplies are attacked at Shihlipu by 8
P-40s.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Two missions are flown today.
  Mission 510: 319 bombers and 158 fighters are dispatched to attack oil and
supply dumps and bridges in the Paris area (number in parenthesis indicates
number of bombers attacking); 2 bombers and 2 fighters are lost:
  1. Targets for 156 B-17s are Paris/Gennevilliers (51), Paris/Dugny (38),
Mery-sur-Oise (37), Bernay marshalling yard (12), Courtalain rail junction
(7) and targets of opportunity (4); 2 B-17s are lost and 47 damaged; 1 airman
is KIA, 2 WIA and 18 MIA.
  2. Targets for 163 B-24s are bridges at Neuvy-sur-Loire (36), Nogent-sur-
Seine (31), Mantereau (28); 26 hit Sens oil depot; airfields at St Dizier
(12) and Creton (3); and Pacy-sur-Armancon (10); 1 B-24 is damaged beyond
repair and 23 damaged; 2 airmen are WIA.
  The two forces above are escorted by 132 of 158 P-51s; 2 P-51s are lost and
1 damaged; 1 pilot is KIA and 2 MIA.
  Mission 511: 517 bombers and 249 fighters are dispatched to attack CROSSBOW
(V-weapon) sites and bridges in France; 3 bombers and 5 fighters are lost:
  1. Of 195 B-17s, 77 hit V-weapon sites, and rail bridges at Jussy (31),
Aulnoye (21), Beautor (21) and Crocal de St Quentin (11); 3 B-17s are lost
and 45 damaged; 3 airmen are KIA, 1 WIA and 28 MIA.
  2. Of 322 B-24s, 182 hit V-weapon sites in the Pas de Calais area, 22 hit
Thennes Bridge, 12 hit Peronne Rail Bridge, 11 hit Achiet Airfield and 8 hit
targets of opportunity; 5 B-24s are damaged beyond repair and 78 damaged; 2
airmen are KIA.
  Escort for the 2 forces above is provided by 236 of 249 P-51s; 5 are lost
and 1 is damaged beyond repair; 5 pilots are MIA.
  49 P-38s, 183 P-47s and 51 P-51s fly fighter-bomber missions against rail
and road transport in the Paris-Amiens-Brussels-St Quentin area; they claim
1-0-0 Luftwaffe aircraft; 1 P-47 and 1 P-51 are lost, 1 P-38 is damaged
beyond repair and 6 P-47s and 2 P-51s are damaged; 2 pilots are MIA.
  42 B-24s fly CARPETBAGGER missions during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, the IX Bomber Command
halts bombing of bridges, fuel dumps, and similar targets in Brittany except
on the request of the 12th Army Group, as the US Third Army wants the use of
bridges access to all fuel they may find in their advance across France;
around 300 A-20s and B-26s attack bridges at Mezieres-sur-Seine, Mainvillers,
Cinq Mars-la-Pile, Nantes, and Lisle, and ammunition dumps at Caudebec-les-
Elbeuf and Le Lude; fighters fly armed reconnaissance in wide areas
surrounding Paris and the SW as far as Laval, escort IX Bomber Command
aircraft, and provide cover for armored columns and close support for ground
forces; HQ IX Tactical Air Command moves from Les Obeaux to Canisy; HQ 84th
Fighter Wing moves from Houesville to Criqueville; HQ 303d Fighter Wing moves
from La Combe to Houesville; and the 14th Liaison Squadron, XIX Tactical Air
Command (attached to Third Army) moves from Nehou to Le Bepas with L-5s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 330+ bombers are dispatched
to hit targets in France and Italy; B-24s attack Genoa, Italy harbor; B-17s
hit targets in S France, including Le Pouzin oil storage, Portes-les-Valences
torpedo factory and marshalling yard, Le Pontet oil storage, and Avignon
railroad bridges; P-38s and P-51s provide escort.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers strike at
bridges near the border between Italy and France, doing some damage at
Gilette, Taggia, Alessandria, and at 2 points along the Var River; fighter-
bombers pound bridges and airfields in NW Italy and S France and attack
targets of opportunity in the area.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s bomb the
airfield at Yap Island, Caroline Islands; B-24s and B-25s carry out wide
sweeps over the Moluccas and Lesser Sunda Islands, hitting airfields at
Maumere, Amahai, and Liang, and shipping off Ceram and Amboina Islands; on
Timor Island, B-24s hit Cape Chater and Lautem while B-25s bomb a camp near
Poeloeti; and fighter-bombers hit coastal vessels and shore targets at
Talaud, Sunda Islands. In New Guinea, A-20s bomb Nabire Airfield while in the
Wewak area bombers and fighters hit a bridge and airfield at Boram and
bridges, communications lines, troop concentrations, and other targets along
the coastline, especially between But and Cape Karawop; and fighter-bombers
hit Mapia Island

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

02/0116Z AUG

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 20:11:47 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

The battle of Malta -- perhaps more properly a 'siege' -- lasted over two
years.
Air raids by Italian and german aircraft killed over 2500 people -- half of
them Maltese civilians, the rest British and Canadian servicemen.
A fair number of Canadian fighter-pilots served with RAF units there.
One became the best known -- George F. "Buzz" Buerling.
His rank was Sergeant Pilot when he arrived in Malta, June 9, 1942, having
flown a Spitfire from the deck of the aircraft carrier HMS Eagle. During
the next few months, Buerling shot down 30 enemy a/c. He was promoted to
Pilot Officer, after being warded the Distunguished Flying Medal, then
subsequently was also awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross and the Distinguished
Service Order.
Buerling was the highest scoring ace of the Malta Siege. Sent home to Canada
on a Victory Bond selling tour, he transferred from the RAF to the Royal
Canadian Air Force. However, he acted so wildly, he was hastily allowed to
go back overseas, where he scored two more air kills. His lack of discipline,
on the ground and in the air, made him a menace to friend and foe alike.
Buerling was given an honorable discharge from the RCAF in April, 1944.
        Though not Jewish, he decided to fly for the new state of Israel, and
was ferrying a small aircraft to that country when he crashed on takeoff at
Rome airport, and was killed.
        There have been several biographies on the man, including,
        MALTA SPITFIRE, by Buerling himself and Leslie Roberts
        HERO; THE BUZZ BUERLING STORY, by Brian Nolan

--

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 13:46:40 +1000
From:    Steve Mullins <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RAF Training Command

        Maybe I have misunderstood this post.  The Empire Air Training
Scheme was negotiated between Britain, Canada, Australia & New Zealand in
Nov/Dec 1939. Although under clause XV of the Ottawa Agreement most
Canadians went into RCAF squadrons rather than into RAF squadrons, the
scheme was not 'doomed'.  It produced tens of thousands of aircrew for the
allied cause.

>Question:  Is there anyone out there who know the reasons that the Canadian
>Prime Minister refused to discuss a single Commonwealth Training Command
>(most likely to be on Candian soil) in the pre-war years (either that or
>pre-1941).
>
>In a book I am reading there is mention that Dowding attempted to establish
>this Command for all commonwealth Air Forces but it was the Canadian PM who
>refused to discuss it - thus dooming the concept.  The author states that
>the Australians, New Zealanders, British  (and possibly the South Africans)
>were keen on the concept to cut training cost and time.  Perhaps was this
>an attempt by the Canadian government to maintain authority and direction
>over the RCAF.
>
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
>Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
>CIT - Information Resources
>Ithaca, New York 14850
>(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 31 Jul 1994 to 1 Aug 1994
************************************************