Subject: WWII-L Digest - 18 Jul 1994 to 19 Jul 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 00:02:01 -0400

There are 15 messages totalling 557 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. [INF] USAAF 19 JUL 44
  2. INF: 50 Years Ago - 19-JUL-1944
  3. PC at the Smithsonian cont'd (6)
  4. MEDIA: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd
  5. Schools (off topic; was: PC at the Smithsonian)
  6. MEDIA: One bomb or two
  7. WW2 in schools
  8. INF:Books regarding British colonial troops in North Africa
  9. RETURNED MAIL: USER UN
 10. Proper Address for mail to AFB

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 06:54:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 19 JUL 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 19 JULY 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 30+ P-40s and P-51s hit the
Myitkyina area and support ground forces near Kamaing; Myitkyina is also
bombed by 9 B-25s.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 80+ P-40s hit shipping in the
Tungting Lake area, attack targets of opportunity, supply areas, and troop
concentrations around Hengyang, bomb a radio station, storage facilities, and
shipping at Changsha, hit the airfield at Siangtan, and sink about 15 sampans
between Changsha and Siangtan; 31 P-40s and P-51s bomb and strafe the Samshui
town and dock area and hit several troop compounds in the Lienchiangkou
vicinity. In NE French Indochina, 4 P-40s claim 25 junks sunk at the coast.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 482: 1,082 of 1,242
B-17s and B-24s and 670 of 761 P-38s, P-47s, and P-51s dispatched, operating
in 5 forces, attack targets in W and SW Germany including 2 plants producing
hydrogen peroxide (an ingredient in V-weapon fuels), a chemical plant, 2
aircraft factories, 4 ball bearing plants, 6 marshalling yards, 4 airfields,
and a river dam; 17 bombers and 7 fighters are lost. Attacks in the the
Munich area are followed, within 90 minutes, by Fifteenth Air Force attacks.
731 fighters, operating in 19 separate units support the bombers; 8 of these
units afterwards strafe ground targets, including parked aircraft,
locomotives and rolling stock, and road vehicles. The bombers claim 6-4-4
Luftwaffe aircraft; the fighters claim 17-0-4 Luftwaffe aircraft in the air
and 38-0-14 on the ground.
  Mission 483: 5 of 5 B-17s drop leaflets in France and Belgium during the
night.
  5 B-24s fly CARPETBAGGER missions during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, during the afternoon 262
B-26s and A-20s bomb bridges on the Loire and Seine Rivers and a fuel dump at
Bruz; fighters provide escort and, though limited by bad weather, hit rail
lines and scattered enemy installations and movements in the Amiens-Tours-
Chartres area and along the Ghent-Brussels, Belgium railroad; HQ 373d Fighter
Group arrives at Tour-en-Bassin from Woodchurch, England; and the 513th
Fighter Squadron, 406th Fighter Group, moves from Ashford, England to Tour-
en-Bassin with P-47s. The 83d, 84th, 85th and 86th Troop Carrier Squadrons,
437th Troop Carrier Group, based at Ramsbury, England begin operating from
Montala Airfield, Italy with C-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Germany, 400+ B-17s and
B-24s bomb an ordnance depot, an aircraft factory, a motor works, and an
airfield in the Munich area; P-51s and P-38s fly 300+ sorties in support;
enemy fighter opposition is weak but flak is heavy and accurate; 16 AAF
aircraft are shot down and several are missing.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, weather again restricts
medium bomber operations, but in the late afternoon B-26s hit bridges at
Piacenza and Ostiglia; B-25s bomb a bridge at Sassuolo; fighter-bombers are
limited to a few railroad targets as the US Fifth Army takes Leghorn and
moves N; HQ 64th Fighter Wing moves from Orbetello to Santa Maria di Capua;
and HQ Fighter Group and the 315th and 316th Fighter Squadrons move from
Montalto di Castro to Corsica with P-47s. The 347th Fighter Squadron, 350th
Fighter Group, moves from Corsica to Sardinia with P-39s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): P-47s continue to bomb and
strafe Tinian Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s, striking in
2 waves, attack the airfield on Yap Island; several of the B-24s become
separated from the formations and bomb Ngulu and Sorol Atolls in the Caroline
Islands. In New Guinea, weather again cancels strikes on the Vogelkop
Peninsula area; fighter-bomber's hit stores, gun positions, and targets of
opportunity along the Dandriwad River and support Allied ground forces in the
Sarmi-Sawar sector.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 07:32:32 -0500
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 19-JUL-1944

On 19-JUL-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The US XIX Corps continues pushing southward after capturing
     St Lo. In the British sector, the Canadian 2nd Division captures Louvigny
     and Fleury. East of Caen the British I Corps and German LXXXVI Corps are
     engaged in heavy combat. Large numbers of tanks are engaged from both
     sides. The Germans have the advantage of better position as well as
     better armament.

Eastern Front - The 1st Ukraine Front surrounds five German divisions west
     of Brody. Further north, just east of Dvinsk, Russian units enter Latvia.

Italian Front - The US 34th Division takes Leghorn. The 4th Moutain Division
     of the French Expeditionary Corps reaches Certaldo. The South African 6th
     Armoured Division is advancing between the Chianti hills. Units of the
     British 6th Armoured Division secure a new crossing over the Arno river
     near Laterina.

New Guinea - In the Aitape area, fighting continues near Afua.

Naval Dispatches
----------------
Japanese light cruiser OI sunk by submarine FLASHER (SS-249), South China Sea.

Japanese submarine RO-48 sunk by destroyer escort WYMAN (DE-38), central
     Pacific area.

The Homefront
-------------
Democratic Convention Opens - The Democratic National Convention has opened in
     Chicago with a keynote speech given by Governor Robert S. Kerr of
     Oklahoma. Governor Kerr asks for "continued support of the Commander in
     Chief" and ridicules hints by Gov. Thomas E. Dewey that President
     Roosevelt and his aides are "tired old men". He points out that President
     Roosevelt at 62 is younger than Stalin, Churchill, Gens. Marshall and
     MacArthur and Adms. Nimitz and Halsey.

Congressional Medal Of Honor Awarded - Marine Pvt. Richard Keith Sorenson has
     received the Medal of Honor for saving five companions by throwing
     himself on a Japanese grenade during the Marshall Islands invasion.
     Sorenson received the medal in Seattle where he is convalescing from
     serious injuries.

Most Popular Songs - Variety reports that the most popular songs based on
     sales and broadcasts are: "I'll Be Seeing You", "Long Ago and Far Away",
     "Amor", "I'll Get By" and "Swingin' On A Star".

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 09:44:34 -0500
From:    "Frank W. Patnaude, Jr. ACS x2857" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

I have not had the priviledge to see the new Smithsonian display, (but
since I live in Baltimore, it is only a matter of time), but I did have
the priviledge of visiting the Arizona Memorial last December and it left
me with quite an impression. Of course, a lot of the meaning came from the
fact that one of my hobbies is WWII history (especially naval), and I knew
the history, significance, and result of Pearl Harbor. (By the way, on my
flight out, I got to look and how the Japanese planes came in to attack
Pearl, and that was also quite an experiance.)
        I did get to see the home movie that was shot, and I can only say
that the whole experiance was very mystical. (It's the same feeling I get
any time that I go to NASM.)
        A couple of years back, a friend of mine ordered a pizza and went to
write a check out to the 19-year-old (or so) pizza guy. He asked what date it
was, and the pizza guy said "December 7th". My friend replied "Oh, a day that
will live in infamy." The pizza guy asked "What do you mean by that?" My friend
told him "Today is the day that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor." The pizza
guy replied "Oh, I sorry, I haven't had a chance to watch the news today."
        This goes to show that without knowledge of the history of the event,
such as Pearl Harbor or the Enola Gay, just looking at the plane probably
would not mean too much. I believe that they should have some sort of "history
lesson" along with the displaying of the plane, but if the reports of the
pictures of charred bodies, etc., are part of that lesson, then IMHO, it is
far too graphic in nature. ESPECIALLY, when you consider that there are many
parents walking around with young children. Children will eventually learn
of the horrors of war, but I believe that they should at least be of an age
so that they can understand the horror of war.

Just my $.02

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Frank W. Patnaude, Jr.
University of Maryland, Baltimore County Campus
Applications Programmer
[email-masked]
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 10:58:19 -0400
From:    Wendy Slader <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

On Tue, 19 Jul 1994, Frank W. Patnaude, Jr. ACS x2857 wrote:

>         A couple of years back, a friend of mine ordered a pizza and went to
> write a check out to the 19-year-old (or so) pizza guy. He asked what date it
> was, and the pizza guy said "December 7th". My friend replied "Oh, a day that
> will live in infamy." The pizza guy asked "What do you mean by that?" My friend
> told him "Today is the day that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor." The pizza
> guy replied "Oh, I sorry, I haven't had a chance to watch the news today."

How sad that a 19-year-old in the '90's should react that way.  Sadly, I
was a 19-year old in the 80's and so many of my peers would probably have
reacted the very same way.  WWII was more a less a "blurb" in our history
books (U.S. History in general).  It sort of skirted around the more
prevalent subjects of George Washington, the cherry tree, JFK, Civil
Rights and of course--Teddy and Chappaquiddick.  Who's to blame, really?
Although it was tough for him, in retrospect I am so thankful that my
father happened to have grown up during the Great Depression and served
as a paratrooper in WWII; he was my history book.

Ignorance is not necessarily "bliss."
Wendy Slader

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 11:21:02 EDT
From:    Brian Nicklas <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

Can't help but notice the number of people who have stated that they will
check out the Enola Gay Exhibit at NASM at (some date in the near future).
The exhibit is not up yet, and will not be open until after the first months
of 1995.  If you go now, by all means get your last look at the Vertical
Flight Gallery, or the German Arado Ar 234B jet bomber.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 09:31:24 -0700
From:    Jack Brown <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

>         A couple of years back, a friend of mine ordered a pizza and went to
> write a check out to the 19-year-old (or so) pizza guy. He asked what date it
> was, and the pizza guy said "December 7th". My friend replied "Oh, a day that
> will live in infamy." The pizza guy asked "What do you mean by that?" My friend
> told him "Today is the day that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor." The pizza
> guy replied "Oh, I sorry, I haven't had a chance to watch the news today."

Please tell me that's a joke.  Please.  Our schools can't be that
pathetic, can they?

One of my hobbies is WWII naval history too.  One of these days, I WILL
get to see the AZ memorial.  A few years ago, I was in DC to interview
for the Navy's Nuclear Power program and I got to see the Vietnam
Memorial.  That was emotional.  My father was career Air Force and fought
in WWII, Korea and Vietnam, so I have always had a good idea of the
meaning of these sort of things.  (The other thing that got to me was the
Bill of Rights...)

=========================================================================
Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things  | [email-masked].
I cannot change, the courage to change the things |   washington.edu
I can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those  | [email-masked]
people I had to kill because they pissed me off.  | aka Jack Brown
=========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 12:52:58 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

You *totally* missed it, Ken.  Obviously, Enola Gay was saved
  because she dropped the bomb.  The question at issue is why
  the Smithsonian is omitting the *reason* we had to use the
  bomb--specifically:  the evil and fanaticism of the Imperial
  Japanese.

It's not a matter of being "right-wing."  It's a matter of
  presenting the tragedy in its full, objective historical
  context.

Lou Coatney,  Historian at Large  :-)

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 13:45:39 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Schools (off topic; was: PC at the Smithsonian)

I know we're kinda diverting from the focus a bit here, but ...

> >         A couple of years back, a friend of mine ordered a pizza and went to
> > write a check out to the 19-year-old (or so) pizza guy. He asked what date it
> > was, and the pizza guy said "December 7th". My friend replied "Oh, a day that
> > will live in infamy." The pizza guy asked "What do you mean by that?" My frien
> d
> > told him "Today is the day that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor." The pizza
> > guy replied "Oh, I sorry, I haven't had a chance to watch the news today."
>
> Please tell me that's a joke.  Please.  Our schools can't be that
> pathetic, can they?

Yes, they can.  Some of them, at least.

My personal opinion (since the time I was about halfway through 8th
grade and remains in effect today) is that the schools do a reasonably
good job of giving you a very (Very!) basic overview of kindof a gross
picture of the world and also gives you the tools and resources to learn
more on your own.  But the schools do not encourage you to do anything of
the sort (individual teachers do, but it doesn't seem to be a major agenda
of many public school systems).  [In fact, when I entered kindergarten (!!),
my parents were called into school and royally chewed-out because the school
was angry that they had taught me to read -- they were told, flat out, that
this was the _school's_ responsibility and not the parents... How times have
changed...]

In any case, one of the cable access groups in the Twin Cities, a couple of
years ago now, went to the area high schools and asked some very basic,
simple historical questions.  One of the most memorable ones I recall was
the question "what happened in 1776?"  That got several answers including:
"The Vietnam War started," "Columbus discovered America," "The Germans
bombed Pearl Harbor" and "I've got no idea."

I have a hard time criticizing the school system when people don't know
WWII as intimately as they _should_, because the system often doesn't
have the opportunity to teach a _lot_ of things as well as it should.
But I wasn't taught by the system.  I read the books, did the exercises
and passed the tests, but everything else I did on my own.  I feel
fortunate I had some good teachers that not only encouraged self-teaching
and research, but developed entire classes around the concept.  What people
can walk out of high school and college _not_ knowing is sometimes as
surprising as what they do know.

Since it's difficult for the schools to do substantially better than they
are today, I've always felt it's important for "us" with all our varied
interests and events of importance, to at least make the topic interesting
enough to encourage people to look into it.  I'd just like to see the
school system embrace these external sources a bit more...

Just don't ask me anything about the cotton gin.  :-)

Since this is off-topic, I suppose I wouldn't encourage much further
speculation or deliberation on the topic.  Just happens to be a pet
peeve of mine, a long-term mild critic of public education.  :-)

Follow-ups to the author.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 16:10:49 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA: One bomb or two

An intelligent discussion between rational people of differing viewpoints
is perhaps the best way to learn in a truly profound manner...

With such in mind, I have read the discussion between several persons of
no small stature discussing the matter of the second bomb at Nagasaki. The
issue seems to hinge upon whether the Japaneese government had a reasonable
time to react to the first bomb before the second was dropped. I'd like to
add my two cents, if I may.

I remember having read, tho the source escapes me, about a Japaneese gvt
official who survived the Hiroshima blast. He flew a badly damaged plane
out to convey the news to the outside world. I remember reading this because
he mentioned the bent tail of the plane, and how it was barely airworthy...

Also, I don't know whether you consider Reader's Digest an authority, but I
looked at their volumn "Illustrated History of World War II" last nite. This
book was written 25 or so years ago, with submissions by both US German, and
Japaneese principles. The book mentions that the Japaneese high command was
aware within hours that the bomb was dropped, and with Truman's press conference
announcements, was aware that it was, in fact, a new weapon of terrifying power.

The book then goes on to tell that the high command clamped the lid on what
actually happened because they wanted to have a home front battle, and the
resultant glory/loss of life, etc. The books also states that they beleived
the bomb was a fluke, and that the Americans were bluffing when we promised
more bombings.

After Nagasaki, the Emporer took charge and pretty much directed the surrender.

This is as I recall reading, I'm sure that there are more qualified members of
the list, who can correct any errors I may have. It is in the scholarly pursuits
that I welcome these corrections.

My two cents, Thanx for letting it through, Joe. I remain a humble observer...

                                                                Steve

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 16:19:49 -0500
From:    Bill Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

Our ignorance may be bliss.  I thought I saw a post a few weeks back that
some small version of this future full-blown exhibit was tucked in a
corner -- something about part of a 29 and a Japanese suicide bomb.

If not, I'll enjoy the Arado.  A great disappointment was visiting
during the middle of the naval aircraft redesign AND the WW I area --
both closed -- a few years back.

On Tue, 19 Jul 1994, Brian Nicklas wrote:

> Can't help but notice the number of people who have stated that they will
> check out the Enola Gay Exhibit at NASM at (some date in the near future).
> The exhibit is not up yet, and will not be open until after the first months
> of 1995.  If you go now, by all means get your last look at the Vertical
> Flight Gallery, or the German Arado Ar 234B jet bomber.
>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 16:34:02 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

> > was, and the pizza guy said "December 7th". My friend replied "Oh, a day that
> > will live in infamy." The pizza guy asked "What do you mean by that?" My frien
> d
> > told him "Today is the day that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor." The pizza
> > guy replied "Oh, I sorry, I haven't had a chance to watch the news today."
>
> Please tell me that's a joke.  Please.  Our schools can't be that
> pathetic, can they?

Even if it began as a joke, it's funny because it's true. One time I
heard a professor claim one of his students asked him: "How many world
wars were there, anyway?"

I went to a party a few weeks later and told this story to a young woman
who'd just graduated from Yale. Then the zinger: "Meredith, how *many*
world wars were there?" God, you could see the gears spinning in there,
before finally she said, very timidly: "Two?"

I mean, go figure. I was born in 1931. The Spanish-American War was older
history to me than WWII was to her.

Anyhow, stupidity is relative. My wife asked me who O J Simpson was, and
I explained he was the black football player turned movie star who served
as Robert Kennedy's bodyguard and tackled Sirhan Sirhan.

I would still think so, if Rosie Greer hadn't sent his best wishes to O J.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 20 Jul 1994 09:13:32 +1000
From:    John Foster <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WW2 in schools

On Tue, 19 Jul 1994, Frank W. Patnaude, Jr. ACS x2857 wrote:

>         A couple of years back, a friend of mine ordered a pizza and went to
> write a check out to the 19-year-old (or so) pizza guy. He asked what date it
> was, and the pizza guy said "December 7th". My friend replied "Oh, a day that
> will live in infamy." The pizza guy asked "What do you mean by that?" My frien
d
    The schools aren't all to blame. It illustrates the problem of general
history courses in covering the time period involved with the time available.
I am doing history with the 19 year olds this semester (Australia in the 20th
Century) and WW2 gets two 1hour lectures and a 1hr tutorial,the same as
Vietnam. The tutors comments on Vietnam was "you may even know someone in your
family that had some connection".All eyes turned in my direction and I got the
impression that it was about as far back as most kids modern history
went.Before that it is probably almost ancient history.Should be interesting
when we get to it.
Regards
John Foster

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 20:34:27 -0400
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF:Books regarding British colonial troops in North Africa

FORGOTTEN ALLIES sounds like an interesting book.
However, one wonders *who* "forgot" the British Commonwealth troops?
The Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, and South African forces'
fine contricbutions in combat in two world wars are very widely known.
They have been written about -- and filmed -- very often and are familiar
to everyone with even the slightest knowledge of the world wars.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 20:50:19 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: RETURNED MAIL: USER UN

ok 75130D

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 19 Jul 1994 22:16:00 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Proper Address for mail to AFB

Can someone tell me the proper way to address a letter to an AFB?

Someting like

Commanding General Altus AFB OK                 ?????

Thanks...

George Bauer
U.S.A.:  [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 18 Jul 1994 to 19 Jul 1994
*************************************************