Subject: WWII-L Digest - 27 Jul 1994 to 28 Jul 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 00:01:25 -0400

There are 33 messages totalling 1381 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. [INF] USAAF 28 JUL 44
  2. TACT/PROP/OPERATIONS: Doolittle Raid in RVeverse? (2)
  3. Malaria Remedy
  4. Ref: Denver WWII Sites
  5. GEN: THE WAR IN NORWAY (2)
  6. 50TH: ALTERNATIVES TO UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER?
  7. Doolittle Raid in Reverse?/Composite Aircraft
  8. INF: 50 Years Ago - 29-JUL-1944
  9. MISC: German WWII Celebrations & Bombing of NYC
 10. MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising (3)
 11. Smithsonian and A Bomb
 12. German Invasion of USA (3)
 13. QUEST: The British Failure In Norway (3)
 14. Crying, deserted baby in Shanhai(?) railway station? (3)
 15. MANSTEIN'S "PROFESSIONALISM"
 16. WWII Commemoration Day
 17. HIST
 18. MISC: WWII magazine
 19. MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising *encouraged* by Soviets
 20. Crying, deserted baby etc
 21. Iwo Jima Photo Faked? (2)
 22. [INF] USAAF 29-31 JUL 44

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 07:01:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 28 JUL 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 28 JULY 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 100+ fighter-bombers hit the
Myitkyina, Kamaing, Mogaung, and Taungni areas; 16 others attack targets of
opportunity at Bhamo, Indaw, Mohnyin, and hit a bridge at Sihet; and 8 B-25s
pound a troop area at Sihet.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 18 B-25s, with fighter support,
pound the Yoyang railroad yards; other B-25s in groups of 1 to 3 hit a Yellow
River bridge and White Cloud, Tien Ho, and Hankow Airfields; 18 P-40s hit
Pailochi Airfield, destroying several aircraft; and 30+ P-40s and P-51s on
armed reconnaissance hit troop concentrations, river and road traffic and
other targets of opportunity at Leiyang, Chaling, Chinlanshih, and in the
Tungting Lake area.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 501: 1,057 bombers and 753
fighters are dispatched to bomb targets in Belgium, France and Germany; 7
bombers and 2 fighters are lost:
  1. 291 B-24s in 2 forces are dispatched to hit signal depots, fuel dumps
and V-weapon supply sites and a bridge in Belgium and France but the forces
are recalled because of cloud cover over the targets; the first force of 180
B-24s is dispatched to NW France V-weapon sites, fuel dumps and a railroad
bridge; 1 B-24 is damaged beyond repair and 8 are damaged; 10 airmen are KIA;
escort is provided by 235 P-47s and P-51s; 1 P-47 and 2 P-51s are damaged
(pilots are MIA). The second force of 111 B-24s is dispatched to hit Brussels
and Vilvorde fuel and supply depots; 8 B-24s are damaged; escort is provided
by 40 of 53 P-51s.
  2. 766 B-17s are dispatched to bomb the synthetic oil plant at Merseburg,
Germany; 652 hit the primary while 36 hit Leipzig/Taucha oil refinery, 18 hit
the Wiesbaden marshalling yards and 8 hit targets of opportunity; they claim
1-2-1 Luftwaffe aircraft; 7 B-17s are lost and 217 damaged; 1 airman is KIA,
7 WIA and 67 MIA. Escort is provided by 386 P-38s and P-51s; they claim 4-1-1
Luftwaffe aircraft; 2 P-51s are lost and 3 are damaged; 3 pilots are MIA.
  Mission 502: 6 of 6 B-17s drop leaflets in France during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, the IX Bomber Command
operates in support of the US First Army, bombing rail bridges, supply dumps
and ammunition dumps in the Foret de Conches, Dreux, and Le Mans areas;
fighters escort bombers, fly armed reconnaissance in the Le Mans, Laval, and
Dreux areas and furnish cover over assault areas and armed columns; and HQ IX
Air Defense Command moves from Hampstead Borough, England to Ecrammeville and
Brigadier General Ned Schramm assumes command. In England, the 586th and
587th Bombardment Squadrons (Medium), 394th Bombardment Group (Medium), move
from Boreham to Holmsley with B-26s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  AAF, MTO: In Italy, the 72d Liaison Squadron, AAF, MTO, based at Santa
Maria, sends a flight to operate from Caserta with L-5s.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 345 B-17s and B-24s attack 2
oil refineries at Ploesti, Rumania and a marshalling yard at Florina, Greece;
P-51s and P-38s provide support for the Ploesti raid.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, A-20s bomb scattered
lights and vehicles in the Po River Valley during the night of 27/28 Jul; and
during the day light, medium, and fighter-bombers hit targets in the Po River
Valley, concentrating on bridges. Some fighter-bombers attack motor transport
in the Rhone River Valley in France.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-25s and P-47s based on Saipan
Island bomb and strafe Tinian Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: Targets in Woleai
Atoll are bombed by 4 squadrons of B-24s; the airfield and supply area are
well covered; Laha, Amboina Island and Cape Chater, Timor Island are hit by
B-24s while B-25s bomb supply dumps at Maumere, Flores Island, Lesser Sunda
Islands. In New Guinea, B-24s and A-20s pound airfields at Manokwari and
Babo, bivouac areas at Kasoeri, and shipping in Kaimana Bay; P-39s hit
Windissi and other Geelvink Bay villages; A-20s and fighter-bombers blast
stores, troop concentrations, communications targets, barges, and targets of
opportunity in the Wewak, Cape Moem, and But areas; HQ 309th Bombardment Wing
(Heavy) moves from Saidor to Noemfoor Island; and the 403d Bombardment
Squadron (Heavy), 43d Bombardment Group (Heavy), moves from Nadzab to Owi,
Schouten Islands with B-24s.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 08:13:48 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TACT/PROP/OPERATIONS: Doolittle Raid in RVeverse?

>
> >      Suppose in January or February 1942 the German government decides to
> > implement some form of "Doolittle Raid" in reverse: some "strike"
>
> The logical way would have been to use submarines for refuelling.
> A Bv 138 could probably have made it to the US with one refuelling stop;

During the great flying-boat era of the 1930s, the Germans used two
remarkable methods for getting trans-Atlantic capability. One took
advantage of the fact that most of a flying boat's energy is expended in
getting off the water: they used a "Clipper" type amphibian with a
two-engined float plane riding piggyback; the amphibian gave it a hike
out to sea and then released it and itself turned back. I think Lufthansa
got to New York this way.

Then there was a South American route which depended on mother ships to
refuel. They towed a huge hemp (?)) raft behind, onto which the amphibian
taxied for servicing.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 09:21:36 EST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Malaria Remedy

To list: Sorry this must be aired publically.

To Joe Barone <[email-masked]>: I am trying to set nomail for the next two
weeks and [email-masked] does not recognize my repeated requests.
Pls advise, Sir.

Thank you and I hope the list forgives me for this intrusion.

Michael Conger

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 15:22:54 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TACT/PROP/OPERATIONS: Doolittle Raid in RVeverse?

On Thu, 28 Jul 1994, Dan Ford wrote:

> > The logical way would have been to use submarines for refuelling.
> > A Bv 138 could probably have made it to the US with one refuelling stop;

> During the great flying-boat era of the 1930s, the Germans used two
> remarkable methods for getting trans-Atlantic capability. One took
> advantage of the fact that most of a flying boat's energy is expended in
> getting off the water: they used a "Clipper" type amphibian with a
> two-engined float plane riding piggyback; the amphibian gave it a hike
> out to sea and then released it and itself turned back. I think Lufthansa
> got to New York this way.

Are you sure that you are not confusing with the *British* Maya/mercury
experiments? They used a modified C-class flying boat and a four-engined
floatplane. I've never heard of the *Germans* using such a combination.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 08:39:04 CDT
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ref: Denver WWII Sites

Are there any interesting WWII or military related museums or sites in
Denver--I have some free time next Thursday there and would like to see
a few interesting things.

(BTW--trip to Oshksoh has been canceled--and the briefing is off do to
the small numbers attending the event from the WWIIAPS).

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 14:26:57 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: THE WAR IN NORWAY

  Oslo, July 28.

  Chuck Weckesser posted the following:

I have a question regarding Nazi Germany's invasion and occupation of Norway.
First, didn't' the Germans prevail largely because of the element of surprise?

If so, I don't understand. I had always thought that the British had broken
Germany's most sensitive codes (ENIGMA). Thus, why were the British caught
unawares?

Assuming that Britain had known what was in store for Norway, could they have at
any rate done anything to prevent it.

My final question concerns Quisling. Prior to his installation as a Nazi puppet,
did he hold any position within the Norwegian government. Also, is it true that
Norway broke its own laws in executing Quisling in that no death penalty
statutes existed in Norway for any offense, including espionage?

COMMENTS

The Germans, British, and French operations in Norway were rather complicated
and not easy to summarize.  In brief, the Germans caught the Norwegians,
British, and French with their pants down.  The Norwegians had received
warnings, but the government refused to believe them.  Anyone wanting to read an
excellent account of what happened should get Francois Kersaudy's NORWAY 1940.
He describes not only the military operations but also what was going on in the
various capitals.  It does not make pleasant reading, just as much of the
history of that period.

One of the ironies is that the Norwegians, French, and British now celebrate
Narvik as a great victory.  With a few more victories like that we would have
lost the war.

The tragedy is that the British and French did not seize Narvik before the
German invasion and cut off this source of the iron ore from Sweden.  (The
Swedish port was frozen in winter.)  It would have cost them many casualties to
hold it, since the Germans would have controlled the air after taking the rest
of Norway.  Hitler once said, however, that if he were in Churchill's place, he
would sacrifice a million men to control Narvik.

As to Quisling, he was a professional soldier and had been defense minister.
His actions subjected to him to the death penalty under the Norwegian criminal
code, but he was also tried under the civil code for various crimes.  A few
years ago, Norwegian TV showed a series about his trial.  It was very dramatic.
I have talked to people who attended the trial, and they said it was a good
account of what happened.  Quisling could not believe that people would not
understand that he acted for the good of the country.  The head judge was
extremely hard on him.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 14:53:07 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: 50TH: ALTERNATIVES TO UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER?

  Oslo, July 28.

  FOR TERRY MOORE AND OTHERS

  Terry, I think your message demonstrates the point I am trying to make.  It
would not have been easy to come up with an alternative to unconditional
surrender, whatever its drawbacks.  (Does anyone else want to try?)

  Anyone who has read about the difficulty of getting agreement regarding the
occupation of Germany during the London negotiations knows how difficult it was
to get agreement among the allies.

  I should add that I take statements by Germans that the unconditional
surrender formula caused them to fight on with a grain of salt.  I cannot prove
this but suspect these statements were often an excuse for their bad judgment in
continuing to support Hitler's war.  Anyone who gave any thought to it should
have been able to see that there was nothing the allies could have done to
Germany that was as bad as what Hitler was doing to it.

  Put another way, I do not think we should let our inclination to feel guilty
let the Germans off the hook regarding the destruction of Europe brought on by
the Hitler regime.

  At the same time, I should add that I have sympathy for the World War II
generation of Germans.  I would certainly not like to be in their shoes, having
to explain to my children what had happened.  (I talked with a German diplomat
once, who told me that he had asked his parents for an explanation of their role
during the Hitler regime.  It was a painful conversation.)

  Regards, John Ausland

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 10:09:57 EDT
From:    Brian Nicklas <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Doolittle Raid in Reverse?/Composite Aircraft

Aircraft involved in British experiment were the Short-Mayo Composite
Upper aircraft Short S.20 "Mercury" (G-ADHJ).
Lower aircraft Short S.21 "Maia" (G-ADHK).
Developed with Major Robert Mayo of Imperial Airways.
Germans didn't go with composites until later, testing trainers and Bf 109s
atop DFS 230 gliders culminating in Fw 190s and Bf 109s atop Ju 88s.
The Germans did make prewar non-stop flights in Fw 200 Condors between
New York and Berlin.

Brian Nicklas
<[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 07:37:45 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 29-JUL-1944

On 29-JUL-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The US 4th and 6th Armoured Divisions (VIII Corps) continue
     advancing south towards Avrances. The VII Corps reaches Percy. The 29th
     Division (XIX Corps) reaches an area east of Percy. The 30th Division
     continues to push south along the west bank of the Vire towards
     Tessy-sur-Vire. The V Corps is approaching Torigny-sur-Vire, southeast of
     St Lo.

Eastern Front - The 3rd Belorussian Front crosses the river Niemen.

Italian Front - The British 8th Division (XIII Corps) reaches the Arno, near
     Empoli.

Marianas - On Guam, the Marines take the airfield on the Orote peninsula. The
     entire peninsula is occupied by the end of the day. On Tinian, the 2nd
     and 4th Marine Divisions are halted by strong Japanese resistance.

New Guinea - In the Aitape sector, the Americans are forced back in the Afua
     area.

Naval Dispatches
----------------
US LST 340 damaged by grounding, Marianas Islands area.

German submarines U-872 and U-2323 sunk by Army aircraft, Bremen, Germany.

The Homefront
-------------
Two Hospital Planes Lost - The Army has announced that an Army transport plane
     carrying 26 persons, including 18 patients, was lost at sea between
     Iceland and Newfoundland on July 26th. It was also reported that another
     hospital plan crashed at the Mull of Galloway, Scotland, killing its 22
     occupants, including 16 Americans wounded in France.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  ([email-masked]/[email-masked])
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 11:10:20 -0500
From:    "William L. Huber - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: MISC: German WWII Celebrations & Bombing of NYC

> On a different note, I was disappointed that the German authorities,
> at least to the best of my knowledge, did nothing to commemorate
> Colonel von Stauffenberg's courageous attempt to erase Hitler once
> and for all at Rastenberg, in East Prussia, on July 20, 1944.
> Although there is indeed a statue in Berlin honoring Stauffenberg,
> the 50th anniversarry of the doomed coup deserved great fanfare.

Hi Chuck,

I think Germany's somber recognition of the 20 July plot is entirely
understandable.  The 50th anniversary ceremonies must be quite painful
for Germany, so why expect them to initiate such an observance?  I feel
that to many Germans the conspirators to the plot are viewed as traitors and
that is not saying that they are necessarily Nazis.  Remember the Germans as
a people tend to regard authority as absolute.  Free thinking in this realm
is not a national attribute.

I can foresee a scenario where we may have a future German Government that
denounces the 20 July coup attempt and its participants as traitorous.  It
would use that event to establish legitimacy of its claim to power
just as Hitler used the "November Criminals" of 1918 to legitimize his
platform of authoritarianism using the "stab in the back" ploy.  Hitler
invented the theory he put forth but this new version would be meticulously
documented but just subjected to reinterpretation (ala PC just a different
angle).

> I certainly hope that Germany plans to put on quite a show when the 50th
> anniversarry of Hitler's suicide rolls around, fireworks and all.
>
> Regards,
> Chuck Weckesser

Like Terry said, don't count on it.
 -----------------------------

>From:    Robert E George <[email-masked]>

>  Suppose in January or February 1942 the German government decides to
> implement some form of "Doolittle Raid" in reverse: some "strike"
> against the American homeland ( possibly a one-way mission ) of little
> military value but of enormous propaganda/morale significance.
>   Can it be done? If so, what is "it" and how can "it" be done?

> End of WWII-L Digest - 26 Jul 1994 to 27 Jul 1994
> *************************************************

Hi Robert,

Goebbels already took care of that and didn't even loose a single bomber or
airman to accomplish it.  Goebbels' destruction of New York City was
accomplished entirely on a sound stage where a newsreel camera documented
the city's demise for the German people.  While researching a paper on German
POWs in the US one of the things I ran across was an account that related how
as the POWs passed through NYC to camps in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas they
were surprised to see how quickly we were able to repair the bomb damage.
They also thought that the 3 day train ride took so long because we were
taking them on a route that omitted the devastated areas of the country.
They had no idea of the vastness of the US.  In Germany a 3 day train ride
would take them through several countries.

Cheers, Bill Huber / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 09:10:10 -0700
From:    Jim Benn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising

This message contained the second reference in a few days to WWII
magazine; I don't know this publication; can someone post subscription
info, and a brief description of what the magazine is like?  Thanks.

Jim Benn.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 11:55:59 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Smithsonian and A Bomb

Hello, George!

> Casey sounds like a general or admiral in 1930.  Assuming that there is
> no such thing as an air force.  I remember reading that Germany was
> working on a long range heavy bomber that could reach the United States
> even in 1935.  True???

    Yes, to a certain extent. If left to long-range bomber advocate,
General Walter Wever,Germany would have had one by the time the war
had started. However, General Wever was killed in an air accident in
1935, which, upon the influence of Ernst Udet, this project was
slowly and surely abandoned, which led to the development of the dive
bomber.

    Thanks for allowing my input on this.

    Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 12:00:03 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German Invasion of USA

Hello, Joe!

>         A few months ago, "Command" magazine published an article
> detailing the German plans to invade Iceland during 1940 (this was
> when the Brits had about six guys, a Swordfish, and a mule defending
> the island! :-) Anyway, it was lightly defended!)  The Germans called
> off the invasion for logistical reasons -- they just didn't have
> the materiel to support the required troops so far from Germany.

    The Germans did install weather stations there and in Greenland.

>         This makes one wonder how enthusiastic the Germans would
have> been planning an invasion of the US!  (In all fairness, the
Germans were waiting to build a surface fleet capable of locking
horns with the US Navy before thinking such grand schemes.)

    They weren't looking that far ahead.

>         I can summarize the article next week if there's interest (I'm
> on vacation this week and I have long ago moved my references to my
> office!)

    Keep up the great work, Joe!

    All the best and have a happy one.

    Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 13:09:07 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: QUEST: The British Failure In Norway

>On Wed, 27 Jul 1994, Chuck Weckesser wrote:
>
>> If so, I don't understand. I had always thought that the British had broken
>> Germany's most sensitive codes (ENIGMA). Thus, why were the British caught
>> unawares?
>>
>> Assuming that Britain had known what was in store for Norway, could they
>> have at any rate done anything to prevent it.
>
>Too early for ENIGMA, I think. Don't forget that the Scandinavia
>operations were in 1939--1940. Anyway the German Army was largely kept
>out of the planning; and the Kriegsmarine had its own code, based on
>Enigma but much harder to decypher.
>

If I recall correctly the Kriegsmarine used the same Enigma machines that
the Army did up unit 1941.  Some time arround then the Kriegsmarine Enigmas
were modified to accept a 4th rotor.  This of course multiplied their
decryption efforst by a factor of 26.  The difficulty in regards to solving
pre-1941 Kriegsmarine transmissions were the lower volume of transmissions
(less cluse to solve on one hand) and the discipline of the Kriegsmarine in
switching to new keys.  The "key" to solving Enigma messages were the
German keys themselves.  The desire to get their hands on these keys were
so desperate that the British devised a plane to repair a crash-landed
German Heinkel and crash land it near a German vessel.  It was hoped that
the rescued airmen could seize control of the vessel and grab the Enigma
keys.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 12:07:27 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Crying, deserted baby in Shanhai(?) railway station?

Hello, Lou!
>
>      I suspect, though, that for people who were children
> during the Vietnam War, *their* worst image is the napalm-
> burned naked little girl  fleeing her burning village.

 How true!!

 Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 13:17:27 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: THE WAR IN NORWAY

>The tragedy is that the British and French did not seize Narvik before the
>German invasion and cut off this source of the iron ore from Sweden.  (The
>Swedish port was frozen in winter.)  It would have cost them many casualties to
>hold it, since the Germans would have controlled the air after taking the rest
>of Norway.  Hitler once said, however, that if he were in Churchill's place, he
>would sacrifice a million men to control Narvik.
>

This of course was one of the failures of the British Intelligence that the
belief that stopping the flow of iron ore from Sweden would slow the German
war effort.  In the first year of the war 40 per cent of Germany's steel
was still being allocated to civilian use and that does not include
construction and exports.  German had immense stockpiles of steel and more
was coming in from Austria, Poland, and Czechoslovakia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 12:34:16 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MANSTEIN'S "PROFESSIONALISM"

Hello, John!

Thank you for your post and I would like to respond to it.

> At Manstein's trial, the prosecution introduced in evidence an Order
> of the Day, issued by Manstein on November 20, 1941, in which he
> reminded each soldier of the 11th Army that he was "not merely a
> fighter according to the rules of the art of war, but also the
> bearer of a pitiless ideology......therefore the soldier should
> understand the necessity for a severe but just revenge on subhuman
> Jewry."
> Sounds a little more than "professionalism" to me.

    I agree with that, but I don't think detracts in any way from
von Manstein's abilities as an effective strategist, and I still feel
that had he been given control of operations in the East, the outcome
would have been different.

    Your thoughts?
          > Manstein was sentenced to 18 years imprisonment
(subsequently > reduced to twelve)

    That was typical Allied policy to reduce sentences.

    Thanks again for the post.

        Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 12:42:36 GMT-6
From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German Invasion of USA

Hello, Scott!

Thanks for the post and I will respond to it.

>      Out of curiosity, would it be realistic to think that the Nazis could
>      have taken the African continent?

    Not really. There was nothing in the interior worth fighting for,
except the acquisition of native tribes that would have required
large garrisons to govern.

    Communications were bad, if non-existent, and it would have been
far more trouble than it was worth. Of course, along the south coast
of Africa, there were the lucrative diamond mines,etc. but that would
have been outside the long-range capabilities of the Wehrmacht.

They had a
good start in the
>      Northern area but then managed to lose it.

    The Northern route was the shortest to the Suez Canal and an
eventual link-up with von Kleist's panzers in Southern Russia, and
the occupation of the Arabian oil fields were also on that track.

 How would the supply lines
>      work for such an extended army? Were any other African
>      nations/colonies(?) Axis friendly?

    German East Africa or Tanganyika might have been friendly, but,
again, there were no raw materials, easily accessible to make the
effort worthwhile in that area.

   Were
there any Axis activities on >      the South American continent?

    Espionage is about all, save for the scuttling of the Graf Spee
in 1939 in Montevideo, Uruguay. Perhaps some submarine activity,
particularly after 1943, when the Allies closed the mid-ocean gap in
the North Atlantic. The German subs then went looking in the
Mediterranean and the South Atlantic where the presence of Allied
ships was negligible.

 am just fishing for opinions so no sources need be
stated. >

>      Thanks!

    You are welcome and hope this helps.

    Terry

Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 14:01:19 -0400
From:    Tom Shirhall <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWII Commemoration Day

The town of Leesburg, Virginia is having World War II Commemoration Day at
the Leesburg Municipal Airport on Saturday Septemeber 17th. The Day will
include a display of vintage WWII aircraft, including a B-17 and a B-24, by
the Confederate Air Force. There will also be living history demonstrations,
a memorabilia collectors market, and the home of General George C. Marshall
will be open for visitors. All for $3.00, children 6-12, $1.00.

If you prefer earlier wars, on August 6-7, Oatlands Plantation (south of
Leesburg) is commemorating the 130th anniversary of the Battle of Monocacy,
which I believe was the largest cavalry battle of the Civil War. While the
Confederates won the battle, the days delay is thought to have saved
Washington from being captured by General Lee. Cost: $6.00 per adult.

If you prefer even earlier wars, on October 22-23, Leesburg is commemorating
the 213th anniversary of the Revolutionary War Battle of Yorktown with more
than 1000 reenactors, hosted by the First Virginia Regiment of the
Continental Line. Battles at 2:30PM Saturday, and 1:00PM Sunday. Cost: $5.00
to park your car.

No, I don't live in Leesburg. The information just came in the mail.

Tom Shirhall
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 10:49:11 -800
From:    Jim Curry <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising

On Thu, 28 Jul 1994, Jim Benn wrote:

> This message contained the second reference in a few days to WWII
> magazine; I don't know this publication; can someone post subscription
> info, and a brief description of what the magazine is like?  Thanks.
>
> Jim Benn.

WWII is a slick bimonthly magazine published now by the Cowles history
magazine group; Ebsco Serials Directory lists place of publication
as Empire Press, Box 242,Leesburg VA 22075. No subscription rate is given.
I'm very familiar with this magazine.  It is available at newsstands and
bookstores around town.  I like it very much;articles are lavishly
illustrated and well-written although they cover pretty familiar ground.
Other magazines by the same publisher include *Military History*,
*Wild West*,and *Vietnam*.

Jim Curry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 15:39:46 -0230
From:    OLAF <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German Invasion of USA

X-News: leif mail.wwii-l:11653

>From: [email-masked] (Terry Moore)
>Subject:Re: German Invasion of USA
>Date: 28 Jul 1994 14:50:11 -0230
>Message-ID:<[email-masked]>

>Hello, Joe!
>
>>         A few months ago, "Command" magazine published an article
>> detailing the German plans to invade Iceland during 1940 (this was
>> when the Brits had about six guys, a Swordfish, and a mule defending
>> the island! :-) Anyway, it was lightly defended!)  The Germans called
>> off the invasion for logistical reasons -- they just didn't have
>> the materiel to support the required troops so far from Germany.
>
>    The Germans did install weather stations there and in Greenland.

They had a weather station on the Labrador coast as well; it was not
discovered until some time in the 1970s. Full details available from
the people at Director General History in Ottawa; they're the ones
who visited the location. I'm not sure what, if anything, they brought
back.
b
>
>
>>         This makes one wonder how enthusiastic the Germans would
>have> been planning an invasion of the US!  (In all fairness, the
>Germans were waiting to build a surface fleet capable of locking
>horns with the US Navy before thinking such grand schemes.)
>
>    They weren't looking that far ahead.
>
>>         I can summarize the article next week if there's interest (I'm
>> on vacation this week and I have long ago moved my references to my
>> office!)
>
>    Keep up the great work, Joe!
>
>    All the best and have a happy one.
>
>    Terry
>
>
>
>Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
>P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
>fax 806-371-5370

Olaf Janzen
Corner Brook, Newfoundland

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 13:33:23 CDT
From:    Robert Hohlt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising

for Jim Benn, and anyone else interested.
from Sept 94 issue, p 7.

write to : WORLD WAR II,
           P. O. Box 375
           Mt. Morris, IL. 61054-7962

or call Subscrpt offices at:

     1-800-435-9610

Single copy. 2.95 + 1.00 postage.

Yearly Subscrpt. 18.95 USA.
                 24.95 Canada.
                 42.95 foreign.
US funds only.

WORLD WAR II is published bimonthly.

ENJOY!!!

Robert Hohlt, Jr.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 12:10:31 -0700
From:    "Office TH325, Extension 3566" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: QUEST: The British Failure In Norway

>From:         Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      Re: QUEST: The British Failure In Norway
>

[Deleted]

>>Too early for ENIGMA, I think. Don't forget that the Scandinavia
>>operations were in 1939--1940. Anyway the German Army was largely kept
>>out of the planning; and the Kriegsmarine had its own code, based on
>>Enigma but much harder to decypher.
>>
>
>If I recall correctly the Kriegsmarine used the same Enigma machines that
>the Army did up unit 1941.  Some time arround then the Kriegsmarine Enigmas
>were modified to accept a 4th rotor.  This of course multiplied their
>decryption efforst by a factor of 26.  The difficulty in regards to solving
>pre-1941 Kriegsmarine transmissions were the lower volume of transmissions
>(less cluse to solve on one hand) and the discipline of the Kriegsmarine in
>switching to new keys.  The "key" to solving Enigma messages were the
>German keys themselves.  The desire to get their hands on these keys were
>so desperate that the British devised a plane to repair a crash-landed
>German Heinkel and crash land it near a German vessel.  It was hoped that
>the rescued airmen could seize control of the vessel and grab the Enigma
>keys.

I've never heard of Heinkel story, any idea where I could find more on
that?  I highly recomend "Seizing the Engima:  The Race to Break the
German U-Boat Codes, 1939-1943", by David Kahn to anyone who wants to
know more about this fascinating subject.  IMHO Kahn is the undisputed
expert in this area and a good writer.

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 12:33:52 -0700
From:    Ed Kettler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HIST

Hmmm, never heard of that event.  I would like to know the source of your
information, and any other information relative to the mission.  One
would think that even a relatively small bombing raid would have a major
morale impact, especially if it were tied into the rest of the "V"
weapons campaign.

Ed Kettler                                       [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 16:04:14 -0400
From:    Joe Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: MISC: WWII magazine

Jim Curry <[email-masked]> writes:
> WWII is a slick bimonthly magazine published now by the Cowles history
> magazine group; ...
> I'm very familiar with this magazine.  It is available at newsstands and
> bookstores around town.  I like it very much;articles are lavishly
> illustrated and well-written although they cover pretty familiar ground.

        The only problem I have with this magazine is the lack of maps.
At times, such as last issue's article on the battle for St. Lo, movements
of small units (company size) are given in excruciating detail but the
reader is left trying to figure out the relative positions of all these
units.  In their place, the magazine inserts a preponderous of paintings.
I have nothing against paintings, especially those by veterans, but I
prefer maps and relevant photos.  I've been meaning to write a letter
to complain but I never seem to get around to it.  All in all, though,
it's a good read at breakfast.
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Your crabs will leave you now!

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 16:24:17 -0500
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: QUEST: The British Failure In Norway

I might be mistaken, but wasn't the whole ENIGMA deciphering program still
in its relative infancy at the time of the Norway invasion (April '40)?
I've read Kahn's book "Seizing the Enigma" and also Winterbothan's (sp?)
book on the Enigma in general (he was one of the British intelligence
people on the case) and if I recall correctly they weren't getting much
of value before the second half of 1940.  Part of the problem was the need
to get their hands on the actual keys, two important incidents of which are
described in the Kahn book, and they both occurred too late to be of help
in time for Norway (one was the seizure of a German weather ship, the other
the capture of a U-boat).  Kahn's book is definitely germaine to the discussion
because Norway was largely a Kriegsmarine operation and his work deals
specifically with the British Enigma code-breaking efforts as they applied
to the war against the U-boats (which would, of course, have meant cracking
the Kriegsmarine version)...

... on another note, I've seen repeated reference to Command magazine;
can anybody out there save me some steps and give me subscription info?

thanks in advance
Mike Yaklich ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 14:16:35 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Crying, deserted baby in Shanhai(?) railway station?

The USMC men raising the US flag on Mt Surabachi is another example of a
posed photograph memorializing actual combat heoism. Surely, it does not
diminish the reality of what had occurred.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 16:59:01 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising *encouraged* by Soviets

Another dimension to the Uprising is that Soviet radio
  broadcasts were exhorting the Poles to rise up and
  liberate Warsaw, before the Uprising started.  To their
  credit, Berling's communist Poles took significant
  casualties trying to fight their way around/in to
  Warsaw.

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Jul 1994 09:14:41 +1000
From:    John Foster <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Crying, deserted baby in Shanhai(?) railway station?

Terry and Lou wrote
>
>      I suspect, though, that for people who were children
> during the Vietnam War, *their* worst image is the napalm-
> burned naked little girl  fleeing her burning village.

 >How true!!

  A more worse image was the uncut photo of the above which showed nonchalant
GI's a few feet to one side completely ignoring that little girl as though she
wasn't even there. That was indeed a picture that took the place of a thousand
words.
Regards
 John Foster

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 19:27:59 -0400
From:    "Harold J. Cohen." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Crying, deserted baby etc

                         Speaking of doctored or staged photographs, what
is the latest speculation on Robert Capa's famous "Moment of Death,"which
allegedly shows a Spanish soldier being hit and killed during the Spanish
Civil War? There has been speculation over the years that Capa faked the
photo?
                                     Harold Cohen
                                     Ithaca College

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 16:59:57 -0700
From:    "Office TH325, Extension 3566" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Iwo Jima Photo Faked?

>From:         Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      Re: Crying, deserted baby in Shanhai(?) railway station?
>
>The USMC men raising the US flag on Mt Surabachi is another example of a
>posed photograph memorializing actual combat heoism. Surely, it does not
>diminish the reality of what had occurred.

Joe Rosenthal (the photographer) always vehemently denied that picture
was faked.  It is true it was the SECOND flag raising.  Rosenthal took a
total of three pictures of that raising.  Another still photographer
(Private Robert Campbell) and a motion picture cameraman (Sergeant
Willima Genaust) also took pictures at the same time.  The second flag
raising was to replace an earlier small flag with a larger one.

The picture is so dramatic it seems it had to be posed, and I suppose
there is no way to prove what really happend, but I'm going to continue
to believe that chance provided him with the shot of a life time

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 22:20:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 29-31 JUL 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
29 - 31 JULY 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

SATURDAY, 29 JULY 1944

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 3 B-24s fly bombing and reconnaissance runs
over Shimushu Island and Paramushiru Island sites including Kurabu Cape
installations.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, about 100 fighter-bombers bomb the
Myitkyina, Kamaing, and Mogaung areas and strafe Indaw; 20+ others attack
targets at Myothit, Chyahkan, Mainghka, Nawna and Nansawlaw, and hit a bridge
at Panghkam; a troop area at Naungtalaw is bombed by 9 B-25s.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 26 B-24s bomb a storage area in
Samah Bay, Hainan Island; 27 B-25s hit Yulin harbor, Hankow Airfield, Kaifeng
railroad yards, and the town of Tengchung; 80+ P-40s and P-51s on armed
reconnaissance hit bridges, troops, supplies, and river, road, and rail
traffic throughout a vast area including the towns of Liling, Sinsiang,
Hengshan, Changsha, Siangtan, Chaling, Liuyang, and Chuchou.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Twentieth Air Force): In China, 70+ B-29s out of
Chengtu bomb the Showa Steel Works at Anshan and harbor at Taku; the first
B-29 to be shot down on a combat mission falls to 5 fighters near Chenghsien
(which the B-29 bombs after engine trouble causes an abort from the primary
mission); another B-29 bombs Chinwangtao before making a forced landing at a
friendly field near Ankang.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 503: 1,228 bombers and 755
fighters are dispatched to hit oil targets in Germany and airfields in
France; 17 bombers and 7 fighters are lost:
  1. Of 657 B-17s, 569 hit the Merseburg/Leuna synthetic oil plant, 13 hit
Gottingen, 11 hit Hildesheim marshalling yard, and 10 hit targets of
opportunity; they claim 15-8-3 Luftwaffe aircraft; 15 B-17s are lost, 1 is
damaged beyond repair and 349 are damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 17 WIA and 138
MIA. Escort is provided by 429 P-38s, P-47s and P-51s; they claim 21-2-3
Luftwaffe aircraft (including a jet aircraft) in the air and 3-0-2 on the
ground; 7 P-51s are lost (pilots are MIA) and 1 P-47 and 6 P-51s are damaged.
  2. Of 473 B-24s, 442 hit Bremen/Oslebshausen oil refinery, 2 hit targets of
opportunity and 1 hit Cuxhaven; 2 B-24s are lost and 96 damaged; 3 airmen are
KIA, 2 WIA and 15 MIA. Escort is provided by 106 of 109 P-51s.
  3. Of 98 B-24s, 38 hit Juvincourt Airfield and 26 hit Laon/Couvron Airfield
in France; 2 B-24s are damaged beyond repair; 5 airmen are KIA and 7 WIA.
Escort is provided by 142 of 150 P-51s.
  Mission 504: 6 of 6 B-17s drop leaflets in France during the night.
  44 B-24s are dispatched on CARPETBAGGER missions; 12 abort.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, bad weather cancels all
IX Bomber Command missions; fighters fly armed reconnaissance in the Rouen,
Amiens, Beaumont-en-Beine, Tours, Vendome, and Le Mans areas, furnish assault
area cover, carry out armed reconnaissance of enemy installations and
movement in the battle area, and provide cover in support of the US First
Army.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Weather cancels all bombing
operations. 14 P-38s, taking off from USSR bases, sweep the Kecskemet,
Hungary area.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, weather cancels medium
bomber operations; fighter-bombers, operating on a reduced scale, hit
buildings at Diano Marina and bridges, rail lines, airfields, and vehicles in
N Italy.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): P-47s continue to hit Tinian
Island. B-24s hit Truk Atoll and B-25s attack Ponape Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s bomb supply
areas in Woleai Atoll; the nearby islands of Mariaon and Tagaulap are also
hit.  Other B-24s bomb airfields at Boela on Ceram Island, Namlea on Buru
Island and Cape Chater on Timor Island. In New Guinea, B-24s pound Moemi,
Sagan, Otawiri, and Urarom; B-25s hit oil targets at Karaka, shipping off
Sorong and Cape Fatagar, and a supply village W of Babo; P-39s bomb Windissi
and strafe troop concentrations along the W shore of Geelvink Bay for the
third consecutive day; in NE New Guinea bombers and fighters continue pounding
the N coast, hitting troops, bridges and stores at Wewak and along Harech
Creek, and targets of opportunity in the Yakamul area; and the 17th
Reconnaissance Squadron (Bombardment), 71st Tactical Reconnaissance Group,
moves from Finschhafen to Biak with B-25s.

SUNDAY, 30 JULY 1944

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 30+ fighter-bombers attack
Myitkyina and the Kamaing-Mogaung area and hit a bridge at Sihet; the
Japanese commander at Myitkyina orders withdrawal and commits suicide.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 11 B-24s pound the town of Wuchang;
70+ P-40s and P-51s attack a bridge and the town area at Liling, railroad
yards at Hsuchang, and troop concentrations, storage, and road, river and
rail traffic in areas around Yungfengshih, Puchou, Hengyang, Chuchou,
Chaling, Tungting Lake, and Liuyang. In French Indochina, 20+ P-40s and P-38s
hit shipping and road traffic around Hanoi, Lang Son, Dong Dang, Mon Cay, and
Campha Port.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): HQ issues an order regularizing
under the VIII Air Force Composite Command certain special and provisional
units carrying out special tactical activities; this is a result of
suggestion made on 2 Mar by Lieutenant General James H Doolittle, Commanding
General Eighth Air Force, that units engaged in CARPETBAGGER, H2X (blind-
bombing), night leaflet, and weather missions be put under centralized
control.
  Mission 505: 237 P-47s and P-51s fly sweeps of Evreux, St Quentin, Paris
and Orleans, France claiming 3-0-1 Luftwaffe aircraft in the air and 9-0-0 on
the ground; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot is MIA) and 3 P-47s and 2 P-51s are
damaged.
  Mission 506: 1 B-17 is dispatched on a night leaflet mission but is
recalled.
  31 B-24s fly CARPETBAGGER missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, 450+ A-20s and B-26s bomb
defenses in the Chaumont area in support of the US First Army; fighters fly
escort, cover the assault area and armored columns, and carry out armed
reconnaissance in the Orleans-Paris area; 200+ C-47s fly supply and
evacuation missions to the Continent; and the 410th, 411th and 412th Fighter
Squadrons, 373d Fighter Group, arrive at Tour-en-Bassin from Woodchurch,
England with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 300+ bombers attack targets in
Hungary and Yugoslavia: B-24s bomb Duna Airfield; B-17s bomb the aircraft
factory at Budapest, and marshalling yards at Brod, Yugoslavia; P-38s and
P-51s escort the missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy during the night of 29/30
Jul A-20s bomb Savona and surrounding areas; overcast in the W Po River
Valley causes some medium bomber aborts but several bridges at Ovada,
Bistagno, Cherasco, and Ferrara are successfully attacked; fighter-bombers
attack road and rail bridges in N Italy, hit shipping between Savona and
Ventimiglia, silence 8 flak guns at the Ferrara bridge, and hit several
transportation targets of opportunity.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-25s and P-47s from Saipan
Island again hit Tinian Island. B-25s from Makin Island bomb Jaluit Atoll.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: The supply area on
Woleai Atoll is again bombed by B-24s; other B-24s and P-38s attack the
airfield and oil installations at Boela, Ceram Island while more P-38s attack
shipping off E Ceram Island, off Amboina Island, and near Talaga, Sanana
Island, Moluccas Islands; B-25s hit airfields at Penfoei and Koepang on Timor
Island. B-24s hit Morotai Island, Celebes Islands. In New Guinea, P-39s
support Allied ground forces on Biak Island and continue to patrol W Geelvink
Bay, hitting barges in Bentoni Bay and troops at Idorra; Allied forces (Task
Force TYPHOON) land on the N coast of Vogelkop Peninsula near Mar; the
landings, made without preparatory bombardment to achieve surprise, meet no
opposition; bombers and fighters continue to pound troop concentrations,
barges, ships, fuel dumps, communications and other targets between Wewak and
Aitape.

MONDAY, 31 JULY 1944

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 20 fighter-bombers hit Myitkyina,
11 attack the Kamaing-Mogaung area, 12 bomb a bridge at Mohnyin, 14 support
ground forces near Myitkyina, and 11 others hit targets of opportunity at
Sahmaw, Bilumyo, and Pinhe; 9 B-25s pound the Hopin troop area; the Japanese
are in retreat down the Tiddim road.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 12 B-24s bomb the Wuchang railroad
yards; B-25s, operating individually or in pairs, bomb Hengshan, Siangtan,
and Hankow and attack Tien Ho, White Cloud, Hengyang, and Wuchang Airfields;
60+ P-40s and P-51s attack troop compounds, town areas and road and river
traffic at several locations in or near Changsha, Hengyang, Kaishowkiao,
Liling, Luchi, and Liuchow.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 507: 1,295 bombers and
701 fighters are dispatched to hit targets in Germany and airfields in
France; 16 bombers and 3 fighters are lost:
  1. Of 705 B-17s, 567 bomb Munich, 43 hit Schleissheim Airfield, 36 hit
aircraft engine plants at Munich-Allach and 4 hit targets of opportunity; 10
B-17s are lost and 331 damaged; 2 airmen are KIA, 6 WIA and 82 MIA. Escort is
provided by 439 P-47s and P-51s; they claim 0-1-0 Luftwaffe aircraft in the
air and 18-0-12 on the ground; 1 P-47 and 2 P-51s are lost (pilots are MIA)
and 5 P-47s and 3 P-51s are damaged.
  2. 447 of 486 B-24s bomb the chemical works and city at Ludwigshafen, and
SW part of the city of Mannheim; 6 B-24s are lost and 186 damaged; 1 airman
is KIA, 7 WIA and 62 MIA. Escort is provided by 135 P-38s; 1 is damaged.
  3. Of 104 B-24s, 47 hit Laon/Athies Airfield, 36 hit Creil Airfield and 1
hits Poix Airfield; 4 B-24s are damaged. Escort is provided by 38 P-47s and
P-51s; 1 P-51 is damaged beyond repair (pilot is KIA) and 2 damaged.
  13 B-24s fly CARPETBAGGER missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, around 500 A-20s and
B-26s attack bridges on the Seine, Loire, Mayenne, and Ruisseau la Forge
Rivers and a fuel dump at Foret de la Guerche; fighters fly armed
reconnaissance of activities in the Dieppe-Rouen areas, escort bombers,
provide armored column cover, dive-bomb military targets in support of the US
First Army and fly a few night intruder missions over enemy territory; HQ
303d Fighter Wing moves from Ashford, England to La Combe; the 392d Fighter
Squadron, 367th Fighter Group, moves from Ibsley, England to Carentan with
P-38s; and the 401st, 402d and 485th Fighter Squadrons, 370th Fighter Group,
arrive at Cardonville from Andover, England with P-38s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 360+ bombers attack targets
in Rumania; B-17s hit an oil refinery at Ploesti; B-24s bomb 2 oil refineries
at Bucharest, 1 at and Doicesti, and oil storage at Targoviste. Fighters
escort the bombers.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, weather grounds medium
bombers; fighter-bombers hit several bridges in the W Po River Valley while
fighters strafe airfields with good results; the fighter-bombers also destroy
around 50 railroad cars and damage numerous others.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): B-25s and P-47s based on Saipan
Island bomb and strafe Tinian Island. B-25s from Makin Island pound Nauru
Island. B-24s from the Marshall Islands bomb Truk Atoll.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s again strike
Woleai Atoll; airfields at Lolobata and Galela on Halmahera Island also are
hit by B-24s. In New Guinea, P-39s continue to hit villages on the W coast of
Geelvink Bay; in NE New Guinea fighter-bombers continue pounding Japanese
concentrations and targets of opportunity on the N coast, particularly
between Wewak and Yakamul; A-20s support Australian ground forces in the
Hansa Bay area, hitting troop positions W of the Sepik River and troop
concentrations at Singarin and Kopa.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

29/0222Z Jul

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 1994 21:55:12 -0500
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Iwo Jima Photo Faked?

In message World War II Discussion List writes:
> >From:         Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
> >Subject:      Re: Crying, deserted baby in Shanhai(?) railway station?
> >
> >The USMC men raising the US flag on Mt Surabachi is another example of a
> >posed photograph memorializing actual combat heoism. Surely, it does not
> >diminish the reality of what had occurred.
>
> Joe Rosenthal (the photographer) always vehemently denied that picture
> was faked.  It is true it was the SECOND flag raising.  Rosenthal took a
> total of three pictures of that raising.  Another still photographer
> (Private Robert Campbell) and a motion picture cameraman (Sergeant
> Willima Genaust) also took pictures at the same time.  The second flag
> raising was to replace an earlier small flag with a larger one.
>
> The picture is so dramatic it seems it had to be posed, and I suppose
> there is no way to prove what really happend, but I'm going to continue
> to believe that chance provided him with the shot of a life time

The last survivor of the first flag raising lives here in the Twin Cities.
I have met him and spoken with him.  I have also seen the ORIGINAL photos
taken of that flag raising (and had some copies signed, which now adorn my
wall).

He is very familiar with the "controversy."  He knew the photographer on
his mission well as well as the other photographer whose pictures beat
theirs to the U.S.

There never was any doubt on anyone's part that the second flag raising was
quite authentic.  The whole area was still a hotbed of action and the last
thing anyone has the time to do is fake a picture when you're exposed on a
hill offering a target for any would-be snipers hanging around.

BTW: He's not bitter or upset at all that he didn't get all the fame and
glory that the second crew did.  He was just happy to be with the first.

(This person, BTW is named Charles Lindberg ... not to be confused with another
guy with a similar name who some people think looks and sounds like Jimmy
Stewart... :-)

--
Robert J. Granvin
Southern Minnesota Wing Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 27 Jul 1994 to 28 Jul 1994
*************************************************