Subject: WWII-L Digest - 30 Jul 1994 to 31 Jul 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 00:00:29 -0400

There are 13 messages totalling 616 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Deaths in WWII
  2. Top Ten List
  3. Moscow notes available...
  4. GEN: IMPORTANCE OF NARVIK TO GERMANY
  5. 50TH: UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER
  6. MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising (3)
  7. INF: 50 Years Ago - 01-AUG-1944
  8. TACT/PROP/OPERATIONS: Doolittle Raid in RVeverse?
  9. ADVERT: Green Books on Disk
 10. Addr: In search of a medic
 11. Addr: Medic

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 15:18:33 +1523847
From:    Kevin Noonan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Deaths in WWII

I suspect that the figure of 1 000 000 civilian deaths in China is wildly
innacurate ... people like John King Fairbank quote Chinese figures of
closer to 20 000 000

Kevin Noonan
[email-masked]

A day for firm decisions!!!!!  Or is it?

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 06:50:28 EDT
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Top Ten List

I'm a new subscriber and would love to read the complete top ten list.
Thanks..

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 05:20:46 -0700
From:    Eric Fenster <[email-masked]>
Subject: Moscow notes available...

In case you missed the first announcement...

I have written anecdotes and observations about the situation in Russia
based on a study trip to Moscow during May and June. They are similar to the
notes written and distributed in 1992 and 1993.

A copy is available to anybody who asks.  The file is 38K long.

PLEASE SEND REQUESTS TO MY MAILBOX, not to this list:

The daily schedule we followed during the trip is attached to the notes.

If you earlier requested a copy of the notes, you should have received them.
If not, please let me know.

Eric Fenster

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 14:40:30 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: IMPORTANCE OF NARVIK TO GERMANY

  Oslo, July 31.  I have now checked SCANDINAVIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR,
written by a group of Scandinavian scholars.  It has many statements regarding
the importance of Swedish iron ore to Germany.  Imports increased each year,
until 1944, when the Swedes, who saw the way the war was going and were less
afraid of Germany, reduced its exports.
  Hence I retain my belief that it was a tragedy that the British and French did
not get hold of Narvik before the Germans and hold it.
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 14:48:13 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: 50TH: UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER

  Oslo, July 31, 1994
  Those who are concerned that the unconditional surrender formula increased
German determination to fight on will be interested to know that Gen. Eisenhower
and his staff shared this view.  Eisenhower asked that terms for surrender be
spelled out.  The American and British staffs struggled with this question for a
number of months.  In the end, all they got from the three leaders at Yalta was
a general statement that they did not want to destroy the German people, only
Naziism.
  My source is Forrest C. Pogue's THE SUPREME COMMAND.
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 14:54:29 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising

>
>
>> The West would not have tolerated any machinations toward Finalnd.
>
>    I don't know about that. The West only provided moral support to
>the Finns during that conflict, but that was all.
>
>

If I recall correctly, the West did provide some aircraft especially the
Brewster Buffalo.  I am not sure if that could be considered assistance,
but I recall thet the Finns were more succesful with the Buffalo than the
RAF.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 16:05:19 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 01-AUG-1944

On 01-AUG-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The US 3rd Army is formed under General George S. Patton. The
     3rd Army is composed of four corps - the VIII, XII, XV and XX and is
     given the sector to the right of the 1st Army. It forms the exteme right
     flank of the Allied line. The 3rd Armies' objective is Brittany. In the
     1st Army sector, the VII and XIX Corps continue to advance in the area of
     Vire, northeast of Avranches, which has been taken. In the British 2nd
     Army sector, the XXX Corps is advancing towards Villers-Bocage.

Eastern Front - The 3rd Belorussian Front, continues advancing towards
     Konigsberg in East Prussia. Elements of the 1st Baltic Front reach the
     Gulf of Riga. The Russians area unable to consolodate this advance and
     isolate the German Army Group North. In Poland, knowing that the
     Russians are near, Polish patriots rise up against the Germans in Warsaw.
     They reason that when the Russians arrive, they will find a free,
     independent capital, a solid basis for a free, independent Poland. The
     Russian advance halts suddenly at the suburb of Praga, however. The
     Polish patriots are surrounded by the Germans and are virtually
     annihilated by the Germans. The reasons for the Russian halt are never
     made clear. The Russians claim they stopped for military reasons while
     Western powers claim they stopped because of political reasons.

Marianas - On Guam, the Marines and infantry continue to pursue the Japanese
     northwards. They have taken more than half the island. On Tinian, all
     organized resistance by the Japanese comes to an end. The Marines begin
     mapping up.

New Guinea - Operations on the Vogelkop peninsula continue on a small scale.
     In the Aitape sector, the Americans advance as far as the Niumen stream,
     stabiilizing their advanced lines.

China - The Japanese still surround Hengyang. The US 14th Air Force has
     carried out 4,454 missions since May 26th in support of the Chinese
     forces engaged in central east China.

Foreign Affairs
---------------
Finnish President Resigns - Finnish President Risto Ryti has resigned. His
     place is taken by Marshal Karl Gustav Mannerheim.

The Homefront
-------------
President Quezon Dies - President Manuel Quezon of the Philippine Commonwealth
     has died in Saranac Lake, New York. Quezon was 65 years old. He has
     suffered from TB for many years.

Men Over 25 To Be Drafted - Major General Lewis B. Hershey, director of the
     Selective Services has issued orders to proceed with the induction of men
     over 25 who are making no contribution to the war effort.

Liquor Production Resumes - Distilleries throughout the country resume
     production of alcoholic beveridges.

Aircraft Production Down - The Aircraft Production Board reports that aircraft
     plants turned out only 8,000 planes in July, a drop of 5.9% from the
     scheduled output. He blames holiday absenteeism and the taking of
     inventories as the reasons.

Baseball Standings - St. Louis still maintins the lead in both the American
     and National Leagues.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  ([email-masked]/[email-masked])
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 01:31:12 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising

On Sun, 31 Jul 1994, Ron Babuka wrote:

> If I recall correctly, the West did provide some aircraft especially the
> Brewster Buffalo.  I am not sure if that could be considered assistance,
> but I recall thet the Finns were more succesful with the Buffalo than the
> RAF.

Most aircraft used by the Finnish AF were of Western origin, be it
American (Brewster Buffalo), French (Morane-Saulnier MS 405 or 406) or
Dutch (Fokker D.XXI). But I think that most of this was bought and paid
for by the Fins before the war began; after September 1939 most of the
European nations were certainly not too willing to sell military equipment
to others!

Some material support was given to the Fins, but most of it was of little
value; I've read that the French sent some old and rusty artillery and
totally obsolete machine guns. British support may have been worth a
little more. The Western nations were not unwilling to give help to
Finland; but they just had little they could give. It probably did not
affect the outcoem of the war.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 02:10:45 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TACT/PROP/OPERATIONS: Doolittle Raid in RVeverse?

On Fri, 29 Jul 1994, Sidney Allinson wrote:

> You confirm my previous post that there was a British "piggy-back"
> flying boat configureation.
> By the way, it was the MayO.

I'm not entirely sure. The entire combination was called the 'Mayo
Composite' after its inventor; but I think that the names given to the
aircraft themselves were 'Maya' or 'Maia' and 'Mercury'.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 17:05:47 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Warsaw Uprising

'Matter of fact, there was a substantial amount of foreign aid to Finland
during the Winter War.
        Money, food, weapons, and aircraft were supplied by several nations
-- including Canada (ambulances, doctors, and nurses), Britain, France, and
-- would you believe, Italy -- among them.
A large number of foreign volunteers also set off -- for the most part people
of Finnish descent, but also non-Finn alson the line of the International
Brigades in the Spanish Civil War just then over -- also joined up to fight
the Soviets. An entire shipload, aboard the liner GRIPSHOLM, sailed from New York
with several hundred Finnish Americans and Finnish Canadians. However, they
did not arrive in time to fight, as the war ended while they were still at sea.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 21:37:33 EST
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADVERT: Green Books on Disk

With the discussion of buying the Green Books, I thought I'd go ahead and
post this listing.  Please note that I have no association with H-Bar
and have not received their sample disk for review as yet. It will be
uploaded to byrd when it comes to me and I'd appreciate feedback from
anyone who'd care to send it when you've looked at H-Bar's product sample.

BTW, I'm buying The National Historical Society's reprints of the Green
Books. Their price per book is comprable to the GPO's prices (see the
price listing on byrd for more info.) For example, the two Green Books I've
done would cost more that 55.00 (US$) for the pair and some Green books
are listed at +$34.00.

Anyway, here' what H-Bar currently has available. Contact them for
more information.

Larry J

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 94 23:48:23 EDT
Subject: re:H-Bar products
Status: OR

Hi,
   I am writing to concerning your conversation with Mr. Ronnie Sartain at
H-Bar Enterprises. He has talked with our software company and they are in
the process of preparing a demo software pack for your system. This should be
sent to you in a week, two at the most. Due to limitations of sending files
from AOL to internet addresses, I am including our current product list with
this message. We will be in touch with you soon.

Rhonda Walden

H-BAR ENTERPRISES
        ELECTRONIC PUBLISHING
        PRODUCTS

WE WOULD LIKE TO OFFER FOR A LIMITED TIME YOUR CHOICE OF ONE VOLUME FROM THE
AMERICAN STATESMEN COLLECTION. YOU ONLY PAY SHIPPING AND HANDLING COSTS OF
$6.95.ORDER YOUR CHOICE TODAY AND GET TO KNOW THE THESE GREAT INDIVIDUALS
THROUGH THE EASE OF YOUR COMPUTER. ALL WORDS AND SYMBOLS ARE FULLY INDEXED.
YOU HAVE EXTENSIVE SEARCH CAPABILITIES, ABILITY TO ADD BOOKMARKERS, PERSONAL
NOTES, HIGHLIGHTERS, HYPER TEXT LINKS, OBJECT LINKS (WITH FULL OLE), PROGRAM
LINKS AND SHADOW FILES.

IN ADDITION YOU MAY PRINT THE TEXT TO A PRINTER OR A FILE, AND YOU HAVE A
WIDE CHOICE OF FILE FORMATS TO MATCH YOUR WORD PROCESSOR.

LOOK OVER THE LIST BELOW AND CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE STATESMAN. PLACE YOUR ORDER
BY CALLING 1-800-432-7702 OR SEND YOUR REQUESTS ALONG WITH SHIPPING AND
HANDLING TO: H-BAR ENTERPRISES, RT 1 BOX 298-AB, OAKMAN, AL 35579. WE  HAVE
ALSO INCLUDED A LISTING OF OTHER TITLES AVAILABLE ALONG WITH THEIR PRICES.

American Statesman

A THIRTY NINE (39) volume set with individual volumes on the greatest
statesmen to ever serve our country.

Retail:  $350.00 for the full set
         $10.00 per volume with a minimum of 3 volumes

ABRAHAM LINCOLN
ALBERT GALLATIN
ALEXANDER HAMILTON
ANDREW JACKSON
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
CHARLES F. ADAMS

DANIEL WEBSTER
GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOVERNNOR MORRIS
HENRY CLAY
JAMES G. BLAINE
JAMES MADISON
JAMES MONROE
JOHN ADAMS
JOHN C. CALHOUN
JOHN HAY
^LJOHN JAY
JOHN MARSHALL
JOHN QUINCY ADAMS
JOHN RANDOLPH
JOHN SHERMAN
LEWIS CASS
MARTIN VAN BUREN
PATRICK HENRY
SALMON P. CHASE
SAMUAL ADAMS
THADDEUS STEVENS
THOMAS B. REID
THOMAS H. BENTON
THOMAS JEFFERSON
ULYSESS S. GRANT
WILLIAM H. SEWARD
WILLIAM MCKINLEY
^L
World War II:

A 35 volume set written by the US Army Center for Military History and
published by the US Printing office. We are adding volumes every month. The
complete set is available as well as just a few volumes that pertain to a
particular battle or campaign.

MEDITERRANEAN
- AFRICA
- SICILY/ITALY
- SALERNO TO CASSINO
- CASSINO TO THE ALPS

$30.95 per volume or $49.95 for the set of four volumes!

EUROPE
- BREAKOUT AND PURSUIT
- SUPREME COMMAND
- THE LORRAINE CAMPAIGN
- CROSS CHANNEL ATTACK
- THE LAST OFFENSIVE
- THE SIEGFRIED LINE CAMPAIGN

$30.95 per volume or $59.95 for the set of six volumes!

World War II: CONTINUED

PACIFIC
- REDUCTION OF RABUAL
- VICTORY IN PAPUA
- STRATEGY & COMMAND
- FALL OF THE PHILIPPINES
- TRIUMPH IN  PHILIPPINES
- CAMPAIGN IN THE MARIANAS
- APPROACH TO PHILIPPINES
- SEIZURE - GILBERTS & MARSHALS

$30.95 per volume or $79.95 for the set of 8 volumes!

CHINA,BURMA,INDIA
- TIME RUNS OUT
- STILWELL'S MISSION TO CBI
- STILLWELL'S COMMAND PROBLEMS

$30.95 per volume or $45.95 for the set of three volumes!
^LMIDDLE EAST
- PERSIAN CORRIDOR

$30.95 per volume!

WESTERN HEMISPHERE
- GUARD US & ITS OUTPOSTS
- FRAMEWORK OF DEFENSE

$30.95 per volume or $45.95 for the set of two volumes!

^L
World War I:

The LITERARY DIGEST: History of the World War
10 Volumes by Francis Halsey            Retail: $98.95

The European War: The New York Times Current History
5 volumes, by The New York Times        Retail: $74.95

Source Records of the Great War:
Editor in Chief: Charles F. Horne Ph.D. - 7 Volumes
                                                        Retail: $69.98

The War for Southern Independence:

Robert E. Lee:

This is a four volume set written by "Douglas Southall Freeman" and known as
"Freeman's Lee". One of the greatest men to ever live. These four volumes
will give you detail insight to his life in the early years, his education
and his final achievements in the last years of his life.

Retail: $49.95

Confederate Veteran Articles;

The Sons of Confederate Veterans publish a magazine six times a year. Each
issue contains several articles and stories on the subject of the War for
Southern Independence. This is a collection of all articles from 1984 through
1993.

Retail: $49.95

Jefferson Davis: Constitutionalist, His Letters, Papers and Speeches

Ten volumes of details on the life and accomplishments of the President of
the Confederate States of America. Learn more about the man who lead the
South on her bid for freedom.

Retail:  $98.95

The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government:

by Jefferson Davis

This set of reference documents provide an in depth inside look at the
government of the Confederacy.  Combined with Davis's letters, speeches and
papers and studied with a full search capability makes for hours of
interesting study.

Retail: $49.95

Official Record:

Atlanta Campaign:  Five volumes $49.95

Gettysburg:  Three Volumes              $39.95

Index:  One volume that provides an index to the "OR".
Retail:                                                 $49.95

Others:  By the first of July we should have several products on the market
that consist of those volumes from the "OR" for the following battles and/or
campaigns:

a) Chickamauga (3 vol.- $39.95), b) Knoxville and Lookout Mt. (3 vol. -
$39.95), c) Murfreesboro or Stone River (one volume - $35.95), d)
Fredericksburg (1 vol. - $30.95), e) Peninsular Campaign (3 vol. - $39.95),
f) Shiloh (2 vol. - $35.95), g) Vicksburg (3 vol. - $39.95),

The Life and Works of Abraham Lincoln:
By Abraham Lincoln: 9 volumes           Retail: $89.95

Woman's Work in the Civil War
by: L.P. Brockett, M.D. with an Introduction by Henry W. Bellows
D.D.                                                    Retail: $39.95

Great Britian and  the American Civil War
Two volumes by Ephraim Douglas Adams, Ph.D.
                                                        Retail $39.95

Messages and Papers of the Confederacy
Two volumes by James D. Richardson, Including the Diplomatic Correspondence
1861-1865                       Retail: $39.95

Four Years Under Marse Robert
By Robert Stiles                                Retail: $30.95

The Man in Gray
By Thomas Dixon                         Retail: $30.95

Confederate Wizards of the Saddle
By B.H. Young                                   Retail: $30.95

US HISTORY 1850-1896:
8 Volumes by James Ford Rhodes LLD. D.LITT
                                    Retail: $79.95

Misc. Titles:

The World's Best Orations:
>From the Earliest period to the Present Time (1899): By David J. Brewer - 10
Volumes                         Retail: $98.95

Notable Women in History:
By Willis J. Abbot                              Retail: $39.95

The Works of Benjamin Franklin
By Jared Sparks - 10 volumes            Retail: $98.95

The Life and Times of Washington
Four volumes by Schroeder - Lossing     Retail: $49.95

The History of England
>From the Fall of Wolsey to the Death of Elizabeth: 12 vol by James A Froude,
M.A.                                    Retail: $98.95

New products are coming out every day.

        800-432-7702  OR  800-770- 3250

MC/ VISA/ AMEX/ AND DISCOVER ACCEPTED
DOS AND/OR WINDOWS AVAILABLE

H-BAR ENTERPRISES, RT 1 BOX 298-AB, OAKMAN, AL 35579

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 21:46:00 EDT
From:    RICHARD KING <[email-masked]>
Subject: Addr: In search of a medic

*** Forwarding note from RKING   --VUNET    07/31/94 17:08 ***
Date: 31 Jul 94 17:08:44 EDT
From:  <RKING@VUNET>
To:    <[email-masked]>
Subject: Addr: In search of a medic

Chris:
Your comment is sort of amazing to me, since my dad was in
the 305th Regiment of the 77th Division and fought on Okinawa.
I don't know about the 1st Battalion, however, but I will find
out and ask him your question.  His name is Robert W. King. Is
he on the list you have?  He seems to have an almost photographic
memory of the war, so who knows? Maybe he will have some advice
for you. He said there used to be 77th Div. archives somewhere,
because he looked at them once (was it in New York? I cannot
remember). He did say the archives had been moved. Can you tell
me some more about what you are doing? Thanks.

Richard King ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 31 Jul 1994 21:46:19 EDT
From:    RICHARD KING <[email-masked]>
Subject: Addr: Medic

*** Forwarding note from RKING   --VUNET    07/31/94 21:44 ***
Date: 31 Jul 94 21:44:27 EDT
From:  <RKING@VUNET>
To:    <[email-masked]>
Subject: Addr: Medic

Chris:
Well, you won't believe this, but that was indeed my father's
unit and he remembers the battle you spoke of. He said he is
very interested in this and wants you to call him and talk with
him, that he may be able to help you out. His name is Robert King
and the number is 812-882-4774. He lives in Vincennes, which is
only about 1 1/2 hours from Bloomington (I think that is where
you live, judging by your address, so the call would not be
expensive). He said the medical staff would not have been very large,
so that he may be able to help with some names. Also, he has his
company history.

I about fell over when I read that you were looking for someone
from dad's unit. Keep in touch.

Richard King ([email-masked])

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 30 Jul 1994 to 31 Jul 1994
*************************************************