Subject: WWII-L Digest - 25 Jul 1994 to 26 Jul 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 00:01:29 -0400

There are 30 messages totalling 925 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Query to WW II veterans re Gurkhas (3)
  2. INF: USN Chronology 07-26-94
  3. PC at the Smithsonian cont'd
  4. Invasion of Japan (was:Politics & the Smithsonian)
  5. MEDIA: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd (3)
  6. GEN: VJ Day (4)
  7. Stillwell, was PC at the Smithsonian
  8. 50TH: ALTERNATIVES TO UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER?
  9. German Invasion of USA (2)
 10. PACIFIC: Assault on Home Islands
 11. INF: 50 Years Ago - 27-JUL-1944
 12. Invasion USA (again?!?)
 13. Russian capture of Berlin
 14. DOC: Katyn Massacre (3)
 15. ATTENTION:  Disbelievers and Unread Ingrates!  :-)
 16. [INF] USAAF 27 JUL 44
 17. Lou's "boxing gloves" (?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
 18. Crying, deserted baby in Shanhai(?) railway station?
 19. PC at the Smithsonian (Their Side)
 20. Addr: RE: Pacific-inferior equipment?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 03:03:30 +0000
From:    Mary Deschene <[email-masked]>
Subject: Query to WW II veterans re Gurkhas

       I work on the history of the Gurkhas. This is a request to anyone
who may have fought with, near, or otherwise run across Gurkhas during the
war. If you have heard of the Gurkhas (then entirely in the Indian Army),
you'll know that there are lots of tales about them. Any stories that you
heard (and, if you can recall, how and where heard) would be most
appreciated. What I am after is a sense of how other soldiers (i.e., those
who were not their officers and champions) saw them, what they knew about
them, etc.
        Please reply to [email-masked] unless you think this will
be of general interest on the list. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 01:25:30 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 07-26-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
07/26 Wed.  United States naval vessels sunk:
             Submarine GOLET (SS-361), Pacific Ocean area; reported as
              presumed lost.
             Submarine ROBALO (SS-273), unknown cause, off western
              Palawan, P. I.
            Japanese submarine sunk:
             I-29, by submarine SAWFISH (SS-276), Luzon Strait, P. I.,
              20 d. 10'N., 121 d. 50'E.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 19:34:23 +0700
From:    "Peter E. Beal" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

On Tue, 19 Jul 1994, Brian Nicklas wrote:

> Can't help but notice the number of people who have stated that they
will > check out the Enola Gay Exhibit at NASM at (some date in the near
future). > The exhibit is not up yet, and will not be open until after the
first months > of 1995.  If you go now, by all means get your last look at
the Vertical > Flight Gallery, or the German Arado Ar 234B jet bomber. >
When I visit the U.S. I make it a point to visit Washington and, while
there, the Smithsonian.  I would like to know who at the Smithsonian is in
charge of this exhibit so I can discuss it with him (since I will not be
there when it opens).  I am incensed by the idea of trying to make the
American people feel the least bit guilty for using the atomic bomb, or
any other weapon for that matter, to defeat a ligitimate enemy and save
one American life.  If I don't get a good (or any, since as a bureaucrat
I am sure the project director will have his evaision sklls finely honed)
explanation I will see my Congressmen and tell him that I find it
objectionable that government funds be spent on this sort of thing.

Perhaps others could write to their congressmen if they feel the same way.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 08:52:58 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Invasion of Japan (was:Politics & the Smithsonian)

>
> At the risk of sounding like a faded politician, those bombs were lifesavers.
> Not because they caused destruction, but because they made the Japaneese High
> Coincil see the light.

What I still want to know was whether those Japanese atomic scientists
who met in Hiroshima on Aug 5 "saw the light"?  And if they did, how do
we know what their conclusions were?

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 19:51:56 +0700
From:    "Peter E. Beal" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

On Wed, 20 Jul 1994, Ken Koester wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 1994 12:52:58 -0500 Louis R. Coatney said:
> >You *totally* missed it, Ken.  Obviously, Enola Gay was saved
> >  because she dropped the bomb.  The question at issue is why
> >  the Smithsonian is omitting the *reason* we had to use the
> >  bomb--specifically:  the evil and fanaticism of the Imperial
> >  Japanese.
>
> No, *you* totally missed it, Lou:  you haven't even seen the exhibit yet,
> so you don't know *what* is being presented.

But I think we know enough.  And if it is incomplete information, would
you please fill in the gaps in our knowladge.

 And, I trust your historical
> judgements are more researched & reasoned than the last sentence above.
> I certainly hope no historian could so trivialize such an important event.
>
"Trivialize".  What do you expect in an Internet E-mail message?  A
doctoral thesis?  I suggest you do some reading on the subject of the
Japanese government and its policy during the 1930's and early 1940's.
Start with "Japan's Imperial Conspiracy" by Bergamimi.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 20:01:46 +0700
From:    "Peter E. Beal" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

I fully support what Mr. Chuck Weckesser stated in his recent message.  I
would, however, like to submit my most horrific picture from WWII.  It is
the (well known) picture of a Chinese baby seated in what appears to be a
railway depot, wailing as fires, resulting presumably from a Japanese air
raid, rage around him (or her).

Will this picture be included in the forthcoming Smithsonian exhibit?

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 08:54:41 EDT
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: VJ Day

Joe writes,...
>                                  ...  A few months back, two legislators
>proposed changing the name of the day to something a bit more "appropriate"
>(read "politically correct").  (I think one of them was Barone from
>Barrington!  Ack!  I don't recall the name they wished to change it
>to -- Alan Wild, father of 1.556, do you recall?)

Things are getting closer,... looks more like 1.8815 these days...

I think it was simply "Victory Day". You're correct about the intention;
people just want the Holiday. But there's strong sentiment still in the
older crowd...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Wild, LAN Mgr.  Father of 1.8815          Voice:          (401) 792-2611
ACC - Lippitt - URI  American Legion Post 102. FAX:            (401) 792-5479
Kingston, RI  02881  NRA Life Member           BITNET:           AWild@URIACC
                                               Internet: [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 20:31:27 +0700
From:    "Peter E. Beal" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Stillwell, was PC at the Smithsonian

I just returned from a trip to China, Chendu, Chongqing and Kunming.  I
took the time while at Chongqing (better know to you WWII'ers as Chungking)
to visit Stillwell's home and headquarters.  The compound and house are
quite run down.  However, one building in the compound has been converted
into a small museum with pictures of Stillwell (building roads in Shansi
in the 1920's, inspecting the "Stillwell Road", etc.)  He is described as
a "Friend of the Chinese People".  Having read Barbara Tuchman's
"Stillwell and the American Experience in China" it was rather moving to
be where it all happened.

Incidently, the museum also covered the wartime career of Chennault.
Also, the other buildings in the compound are used to produce machinery
to make bicycle rims.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 09:51:40 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: VJ Day

>Joe writes,...
>>                                  ...  A few months back, two legislators
>>proposed changing the name of the day to something a bit more "appropriate"
>>(read "politically correct").  (I think one of them was Barone from
>>Barrington!  Ack!  I don't recall the name they wished to change it
>>to -- Alan Wild, father of 1.556, do you recall?)

Alan Wild, LAN Mgr.  Father of 1.8815 responds

>Things are getting closer,... looks more like 1.8815 these days...

>I think it was simply "Victory Day". You're correct about the intention;
>people just want the Holiday. But there's strong sentiment still in the
>older crowd...

Some of us not-so-old people share strong sentiments too. Please don't allow
the impression that ALL people under 40 are little PC numbed robots trying
to lay guilt trips on America for being great.  If I recall correctly, the
recent thread about the bombings of Hiroshima/Nagasaki was dominated by people
under 40. Yes, we ARE interested.

It is only a small segment of people who are into PC. Keep it VJ day, with
emphasis on the J. This should be a holliday in all 50 states.

(They're talking about doing away with Good Friday, here in CT)

                                                                Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 15:14:38 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: 50TH: ALTERNATIVES TO UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER?

  Oslo, July 26, 1994
  FOR TERRY MOORE AND ANYONE ELSE WHO IS INTERESTED

  Thanks for your reply to my message about the possible consequences if Hitler
had been killed on July 20 (and your greetings).

  When I refer to a "concrete" alternative to unconditional surrender, I have in
mind a proposal that would deal inter alia with the following questions:

  1.  What would be the borders of Germany?
  2.  What kind of government would be acceptable, and how would it be chosen?
  3.  Would all or part of Germany be occupied?
  4.  What would be done about the concentration camps?
  5.  What would be done about POWs?
  6.  What would be done about displaced persons?
  7.  Would there be any war crime trials?  If so, of whom?  Who would
      conduct them?
  8.  Would there be any demands for reparations?  If so, how much, and
      who would get them?
  9.  Would there be a cease fire in place?

  Let us suppose that you were on FDR's staff during the period before the
Allied leaders agreed on the unconditional surrender formula (at Casablanca
in January, 1943) and had the job of recommending an alternative.  (At this
point, Hitler was still very much alive and German forces in control of much
of Europe.)

  What would you have recommended regarding the above points?

  To whom would you have suggested the proposal be addressed?

  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 07:41:41 PST
From:    "Jones, Scott T." <[email-masked]>
Subject: German Invasion of USA

     Stephen Casey posted his thoughts about the feasibility of a German
     invasion of the United States. His premise seemed to be that the
     Germans lacked the equipment and such to carry out such an invasion.
     Out of curiosity, would it be realistic to think that the Nazis could
     have taken the African continent? They had a good start in the
     Northern area but then managed to lose it. How would the supply lines
     work for such an extended army? Were any other African
     nations/colonies(?) Axis friendly? Were there any Axis activities on
     the South American continent?

     I am just fishing for opinions so no sources need be stated.

     Thanks!

     Scott Jones

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Scott T. Jones VMI '87        | "When the going gets weird,
     Dahlgren, VA 22448  USA       |  the weird turn pro."
     Internet: [email-masked]  |

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 10:52:43 -0400
From:    Wendy Slader <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: VJ Day

> I think it was simply "Victory Day". You're correct about the intention;
> people just want the Holiday. But there's strong sentiment still in the
> older crowd...

Yes, "Victory Day" was the intended new name.  Sorry, I have no citations
or documentation to this effect, but I'm willing to bet my last dollar on it!

W. Slader
Another RIer adding $.02

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 09:44:56 -0500
From:    "WILLIAM L. HUBER - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: PACIFIC: Assault on Home Islands

> Date:    Mon, 25 Jul 1994 09:43:08 GMT-6
> From:    Terry Moore <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Invasion of Japan (was:Politics & the Smithsonian)
>
>    That estimate of 1 million American casualties in the invasion
> of Japan is correct. That was the projection at the time.
>
>    Terry
>
> End of WWII-L Digest - 24 Jul 1994 to 25 Jul 1994
> *************************************************

Terry is right, in fact the US was gearing up to the attack to the
point that a million Purple Heart Medals were minted in anticipation
of this impending cataclysm.  These medals were awarded as late as
Viet-Nam.  I rather imagine they could have awarded them for Grenada
and Desert Storm too except that the presentation case changed
design.  I wonder what happened to the rest of them??

Cheers, Bill Huber / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 08:19:36 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 27-JUL-1944

On 27-JUL-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - American forces break through west of St Lo. The 79th Division
     (VIII Corps) overruns Lessay. The 80th Division is pushing southward
     between Lessay and Periers; while the 90th Division occupies Periers and
     crosses the river Taute. The VII Corps continues to advance south also.

Eastern Front -  The 1st Baltic Front takes Siauliai. The 2nd Baltic Front
     captures Daugavpils on the river Daugava, in southern Latvia. The 2nd
     Belorussian Front captures Bialystock. Armoured units of the 1st Ukraine
     Front take Lvov and Stanislav. The German North Ukraine Army Group falls
     back after sustaining severe losses.

Italian Front - The New Zealand 2nd Division captures San Casciano.

Marianas - On Guam, the Marines are slowly proceeding with the mopping up of
     the Orote peninsula. The northern beachhead is extended in some
     directions, but is held up just past the edge of the plateau that spreads
     inland from the Chonito bluffs. The 77th Division is ordered to take
     Mount Tenjo by assault, with the goal of speeding up the linking of the
     two beachheads. On Tinian, the northern third of Tinian is now in the
     hands of the Marines. The airfield at Point Ushi is being repaired and
     reactivated.

Burma/China - The airfield north of Myitkyina is captured by the Chinese and
     Americans. The Japanese garrison at Myitkyina is beginning to show signs
     of weakening. On the Salween front, the Chinese mop up the area of
     Lai-feng Peak, counting 400 Japanese dead. The Chinese have lost 1,200
     dead.

The Homefront
-------------
Rudy Vallee Divorced - Betty Jane Greer Valle, 22, third wife of Rudy Vallee
     has been granted a divorce in Los Angeles.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  ([email-masked]/[email-masked])
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 11:17:03 EDT
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: VJ Day

>>I think it was simply "Victory Day". You're correct about the intention;
>>people just want the Holiday. But there's strong sentiment still in the
>>older crowd...
>
>Some of us not-so-old people share strong sentiments too. Please don't allow
>the impression that ALL people under 40 are little PC numbed robots trying
>to lay guilt trips on America for being great.  If I recall correctly, the
>recent thread about the bombings of Hiroshima/Nagasaki was dominated by people
>under 40. Yes, we ARE interested.

Well,...

You've got me feeling guilty for missed inferences. :-) Gort barada nicktow.

AIGF (All in good fun) -Al

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Wild, LAN Mgr.  Father of 1.8815          Voice:          (401) 792-2611
ACC - Lippitt - URI  American Legion Post 102. FAX:            (401) 792-5479
Kingston, RI  02881  NRA Life Member           BITNET:           AWild@URIACC
                                               Internet: [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 12:05:53 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Query to WW II veterans re Gurkhas

The Gurkhas have always enjoyed the highest regard by British soldiers --
uniquely so.  Even many years ago, when discrimination was common and
"non-white" soldiers were not then allowed into British army canteens and
messes, Gurkhas were the exception -- accepted as "equal". This rare esteem
for Gurkhas has spanned the entire period in which Gurkhas have served --
from the first when they fought against Britain in Nepal, joined as
mercenaries with the Indian Army, then were eventually incorporated into
the British army.
Today, Gurkha battalions are stationed in Britain and in Hong Kong.
        Numerous stories are told about "Johnny Gurkha". One tells the
tale of how a Gurkha battalion was paraded in Egypt during the Second
World War, by their British commanding officer. "Men, I am asking for
volunteers on a dangerous mission for you to be dropped by air far
behind enemy lines."
        About a third of the men stepped forward smartly. The CO looked
furrious. "Come now! You are Gurkha soldiers, yet only a third of you
will volunteer to become paratrooper. I'm badly disappointed...."
        A subedar (n.c.o.) stepped forward, saluted, and barked. "Oh, sir
-- if we're getting PARACHUTES, then we'll *all* volunteer!"
:-)
Regards -- Sidney Allinson, Victoria, B.C.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 14:08:45 CDT
From:    Robert Hohlt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Invasion USA (again?!?)

To Lou, Julie, Steven and all:

I reviewed my copy of the May 94 issue of WWII mag last night
and on page 75, up at the top there is an ad that reads like this:

"A Japanese Dream"  Pearl Harbor was only the beginning!
Thinking they might rule the U.S., Japan printed invasion currency
from 1942 - 1944. The ad goes on to say that your offer includes a
10.00 Malaya note issued for possible use in the U.S.

  [rest of ad skipped because it ain't my business to sell their stuff.]

Have any of you on the list seen any of this currency?

Is this stuff documented in ANY other publication that any of you has
read or researched?

My opinion on this invasion currency is that if they printed this stuff
after Midway, it was done solely as a morale booster for their own troops.
[just my opinion]  BUT who am I to say that Invasion USA mania didn't occur
on the other side of the Pacific too.

Comments?

If any of you don't get WWII magazine and would like this ad
send me an offline note and I will send the whole advertisement.

regards,

Robert Hohlt

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 17:46:28 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: PC at the Smithsonian cont'd

> "Trivialize".  What do you expect in an Internet E-mail message?  A
> doctoral thesis?  I suggest you do some reading on the subject of the
> Japanese government and its policy during the 1930's and early 1940's.
> Start with "Japan's Imperial Conspiracy" by Bergamimi.
>
A very enjoyable book, but suspect. Every time the author said something
that astonished me, and I looked up his citations, danged if I could
figure out where he was getting his information.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 15:42:15 -800
From:    Jim Curry <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Russian capture of Berlin

I agree that the figure given was exceedingly high.  Previous estimates of
soviet deaths in the Berlin operation were in the 100,000-200,000 range-
still more than US or British forces suffered in any comparable battle.
Could the Russians now be exaggerating their wartime losses as once they
minimized them?
Also I was amazed by the MacArthuresque egos of the Soviet marshals,which
made friendly cooperation between them impossible.  Zhukov in particular
lived up to his reputation for callousness towards his own troops. Stalin
actively encouraged rivalries in the Red Army high command--possibly to
make sure they would never combine against him!
Jim Curry

On Mon, 25 Jul 1994, Terry Moore wrote:

> Hello, Jim!
>
> I saw that documentary as well, and, while I agree that it was well
> done, I really take issue with that last officer's estimate that
> 600,000 Russians died taking that city. I can believe that figure for
> the killed, wounded and missing, but I have a tough time believing
> that figure, and also based on his statement that there were
> Americans "who had taken steps to conquer Berlin."
>
>     Anyway, that is my two cents' worth on this.
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     Terry
>
>
> > The Russian casualty toll in Berlin was astounding.  The documentary
> > (based on Russian sources) claims that 600,000 Russians were killed.
> > In other words,to capture one city long after the outcome of the war was
> > decided the Russians suffered twice the total of all American battle
> > deaths in all theaters in World War II!  No wonder the final death toll
> > of the USSR was so high.
> > Jim Curry
> >
>
> Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
> P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
> fax 806-371-5370

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 27 Jul 1994 09:54:00 +1000
From:    John Foster <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: DOC: Katyn Massacre

>Lou Coatney's thesis on the Katyn Massacre is now available at
>
>byrd.mu.wvnet.edu
>/pub/history/military/wwii/special.studies/katyn.massacre
>
>The document is in Word Perfect 5.x format.
>
>Lou, would a plain text version of the document be ok? I can convert and
>upload one if so.
>
>Larry J
>
>[email-masked]; Co-Moderator: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU (Historical docs)
>"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
>unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
>Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

I have download a copy of the thesis.

Will the maps be available?

George

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
  George Piszczuk                          Email: [email-masked]
  University of Newcastle                  Phone: (049) 215440
  Australia                                Fax  : (049) 216907
  ---exit
c----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 19:17:09 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ATTENTION:  Disbelievers and Unread Ingrates!  :-)

Just funnin', George.  (As was indicated by the :-) in the
  subject line.  :-)  )

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 20:24:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 27 JUL 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 27 JULY 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 40+ fighter-bombers hit Taungni,
Myitkyina, the Kamaing-Mogaung area, and a bridge at Sahmaw.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 17 P-40s hit river and lake
shipping S of Yogang and in the Siangtan area, strafe truck columns S of
Changsha, and bomb and strafe troops, horses, and compounds in the Nanyo
area.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 498: 26 B-17s are
dispatched to hit coastal batteries at Ostend and Cap Gris Nez/Calais area
but weather prevented bombing.  In Belgium, of 120 B-24s, 34 hit a Luftwaffe
communication center at Brussels/Vilvorde, 20 hit a coastal battery at
Gravelines, 11 hit oil installations and industrial plants at Ghent and 1
hits a target of opportunity; 1 B-24 is damaged beyond repair and 32 damaged.
Escort is provided by 154 P-38s, P-47s and P-51; they claim 1-0-0 aircraft on
the ground; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot is MIA).
  Mission 499: 193 P-38s, P-47s and P-51s fly fighter-bomber mission against
rail traffic S of Rouen and Amiens; they claim 0-0-1 aircraft on the ground;
2 P-38s and 1 P-51 are lost (pilots are MIA); 1 P-51 is damaged beyond repair
and 2 P-47s are damaged.
  Mission 500: 7 of 7 B-17s drop leaflets in the Netherlands and France
during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, bad weather causes the
recall of B-26s and A-20s sent to bomb Loire and Seine River bridges;
fighters attack rail lines, enemy installations and movements NW and SW of
Paris, and bomb gun positions and other military targets in the Coutances-
Saint-Lo area in support of US ground forces which break through W of Saint-
Lo; the 393d and 394th Fighter Squadrons, 367th Fighter Group, move from
Ibsley, England to Crettevile with P-38s; and the 512th and 514th Fighter
Squadrons, 406th Fighter Group, move from Ashford, England to Tour-en-Bassin
with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Hungary, 366 B-17s and B-24s
bomb an armament works at Budapest; 24 other B-24s attack Pecs marshalling
yards; P-38s and P-51s escort the Budapest mission.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, A-20s fly patrols on the
night of 26/27 Jul over the Po River Valley, bombing lights and vehicles at
Piacenza, Modena, and Verona; both medium and fighter-bombers concentrate
on bridges in the Po River Valley and NW Italy throughout the day; numerous
hits are scored on bridges and other targets, including parked aircraft,
guns, and railroads.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): P-47s and B-25s from Saipan
Island hit Tinian Island. B-24s from the Marshall Islands bomb Truk Atoll.
B-25s based at Makin Island, hit Jaluit Atoll.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s hit the
airfield on Woleai Atoll and supply areas on Mariaon and Tagaulap Islands in
the Caroline Islands. In the Moluccas Islands, B-24s bomb the airfield at
Lolobata and Miti while B-25s hit Galela Airfield on Halmahera Island. B-24s
bomb Laha, Amboina Island; Namlea, Buru Island; and Cape Chater and Dili,
Timor Island. In New Guinea, B-24s and B-25s bomb shipping and air facilities
at Ransiki, Moemi, and Babo, hit a freighter in Kaiboes Bay, and bomb AA
positions at Kokas, while A-20s blast fuel dumps at Nabire; P-39s strafe
concentrations and small vessels along the W coast of Geelvink Bay; A-20s,
B-25s, and fighter-bombers hit troop concentrations, supply dumps, gun
positions, barges, and a variety of other targets along the coast from Aitape
to Wewak to Cape Moem.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 19:43:36 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Lou's "boxing gloves" (?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

You should all be gratified to learn that in my first-
  semester plebe boxing class at the U.S. Military Academy,
  I didn't win a single 3-round bout.

I got knocked sightless by an ex Golden Gloves champion from
  Louisiana by the name of Dodson and, later, also by an balding
  ex Marine platoon sergeant (masquerading as Cadet age!).

I drew one bout against a friend (who also failed the course) and
  the other against my super gung-ho roommate, Hank Alward.  We
  held each other in cold contempt.  After he snubbed my pre-bout
  let's-just-take-it-easy-on-each-other overture, I resolved to
  kill him -- legally, of course.

As soon as the bell rang, I lunged across the ring with utterly
  atypical aggressiveness and began beating on him.  (Mind you,
  I was young for my class, and this kid could have had a hockey
  scholarship anywhere else.)  Everyone was dumb with disbelief.
  (For various misperceptions, I had come to be assumed to be a
  coward.  :-)  )

Finally, I had knocked him off balance.  He was below me -- on
  his knee on the floor, I was told -- and I had a clean shot
  at his 7th(?) vertebrate.  Just as I was about to execute
  him -- in Katyn-like fashion  :-) -- the instructor, CPT
  something, started banging the bell as hard as he could and
  screaming at Sprinkles, our mutual friend and K-1 classmate
  who was *supposed* to be our referee and throwing his body
  between us in just such a circumstance.  (Sprinkles was no
  fool!)

I went to attention, and Alward lived.

Pity.  Alward -- who was *not* gung-ho, after all:  just
  thoroughly intimidated, I later learned -- was dismissed
  from the Army after his graduation and under very contemptible
  circumstances.  (Grads, check your REGISTER for the terse
  confirmation.)

Lou Coatney, USMA, x1968

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 19:46:07 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: DOC: Katyn Massacre

Plain text would be fine, Larry.

Thanks for the info!  :-)

Lou Coatney, Historian at Large, Macomb, IL

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 20:02:10 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: DOC: Katyn Massacre

You want the maps, TOO, George?  :-)

They're not all that great.  The maps of the graves are
  in the Congressional hearings.

A map of the Curzon Line shouldn't be difficult for you to
  find, generally.

A map of the killing sites is also generally available,
  although the newly identified killings (which brought the
  total to 26,000 victims) I don't have locations ... for.

Let me know if you *really* need *my* maps.  OK?

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 20:06:42 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Crying, deserted baby in Shanhai(?) railway station?

Peter Beal,

     That is *my* most haunting image of war, too.

     I suspect, though, that for people who were children
during the Vietnam War, *their* worst image is the napalm-
burned naked little girl  fleeing her burning village.

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 22:16:47 -0400
From:    Joe Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German Invasion of USA

        A few months ago, "Command" magazine published an article
detailing the German plans to invade Iceland during 1940 (this was
when the Brits had about six guys, a Swordfish, and a mule defending
the island! :-) Anyway, it was lightly defended!)  The Germans called
off the invasion for logistical reasons -- they just didn't have
the materiel to support the required troops so far from Germany.

        This makes one wonder how enthusiastic the Germans would have
been planning an invasion of the US!  (In all fairness, the Germans
were waiting to build a surface fleet capable of locking horns with
the US Navy before thinking such grand schemes.)

        I can summarize the article next week if there's interest (I'm
on vacation this week and I have long ago moved my references to my
office!)
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Mulligan!?  On time and on target!?  Cripes!

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 19:41:42 -0700
From:    Gerry Walker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Query to WW II veterans re Gurkhas

My father served with the British 14th Army during WWII in the Far East and,
I can recall him recounting tales of the Ghurka's bravery and ability as a
fighting man.

This was many years ago but, I can remember that he spoke of them with a
high respect and admiration for their skills in combat. Coming from an
RSM from the Royal Scots, these were not idle compliments.

As I remember, he said that the only thing that even slightly unnerved these
fine soldiers was mortar-fire. Perhaps, only as he recalls it but, the
Ghurka's stealth and ingenuity was unmatched in the jungles of Burma.

Cheers,

Gerry Walker     [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 22:44:50 EDT
From:    Richard Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Subject: PC at the Smithsonian (Their Side)

Even though the original thread engendered by Air Force magazine has long since
branched off on its own; there is a well written feature in the new Air & Space
Smithsonian.  This is the August/September issue, pages 18-21.  The piece was
written by Martin Harwit, Director of the National Air & Space Museum, and is
entitled: Enola Gay and a Nation's Memories.

Harwit reviews the mission of the NASM, the history of the Enola Gay, and the
museum's role in storing, preserving, and restoring it.  Maybe more
importantly, he explains the role of an advisory panel and the procedures used
to formulate the upcoming display.  One of the steps in that procedure was
asking the Air Force Association to review the first draft before it was
presented.  According to Mr. Harwit, the association never responded with their
comments or recommendations, but published the critique in Air Force magazine
which started our thread.

I will enclose one paragraph of the feature, and maybe this will alleviate some
of the discord towards the Smithsonian.

"Everyone acknowledges that the Enola Gay is an important artifact because it
was the airplane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima.  But the bombing of
Hiroshima was not an isolated event; it was part of a complex war.  The
exhibition we are planning will describe the Japanese invasion of China in the
late 1930s; the atrocities perpetrated at Nanking; the attack on Pearl Harbor;
the ferocious fighting in the Pacific; the escalating bombing of cities, first
by the Axis powers and later by the Allies; the massive destruction of Japanese
cities by incendiaries; the Manhattan Project; the design and construction of
the Boeing B-29 bomber and its special Silverplate version, modified to carry
the atomic bomb; President Truman's distrust of Stalin and ambivalence about
the desireability of the Soviet's entry into the Pacific war; the decision to
drop the atomic bomb; the mission of the Enola Gay and Bockscar of the 509th
Composite Bomb Group under the command of Colonel Paul Tibbets; the destruction
on the ground at Hiroshima and Nagasaki; and finally, the post-war evolution of
atomic weaponry, which increased the destructive power available worldwide by a
factor of a million beyond that experienced by the two Japanese cities."

I think I will reserve judgement on the NASM until I have seen the exhibit,
inspite of the criticism voiced in Air Force magazine and the Wall Street
Journal Oped pages.

                                Richard Kaplan
                                Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

P.S. Yes that last, long sentence is what appears in the magazine.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 1994 21:57:58 EDT
From:    RICHARD KING <[email-masked]>
Subject: Addr: RE: Pacific-inferior equipment?

Since we are having a 50th anniversary of the battle of Guam,
I've been prying out information from my dad, who was a PFC
in the 77th Division that invaded Guam (with Marines). He
said (in regard to the equipment question) he was amazed
to see that the Marines on Guam were carrying Springfield rifles, while
the Army carried MIs. This seems surprising for 1944, but
that's what he said. Dad carried a BAR, which he said was not a
very accurate or reliable weapon, that it tended to jam when he
tried to fire short bursts. He said the MI was a very superior
weapon, however.

I would be glad to ask him any questions if anyone wanted
any oral history from someone who was there (Pacific theatre).
I myself am amazed at what he remembers and relates. But I gotta
pry...

Richard L. King ([email-masked])

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 25 Jul 1994 to 26 Jul 1994
*************************************************