Subject: WWII-L Digest - 1 Jul 1994 to 2 Jul 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 1994 00:00:43 -0400

There are 5 messages totalling 165 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. What Kimmel and Turner knew
  2. INF: USN Chronology 07-02-94
  3. INF: 50 Years Ago - 02-JUL-1944
  4. Ref: SS Jerimiah O'Brien
  5. Globe Militaria

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Jul 1994 01:28:41 -0500
From:    "Sean J. Wright" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: What Kimmel and Turner knew

>
> I assume you are referring to "And I was There"?  (I was in my original
> post.)  That is an interesting book.  Incidently, Layton says that
> Richardson and Kimmel were at sea when Richardson learned he was going
> to be relieved.  Kimmel came aboard flagship Pennsylvania for
> preliminary conversations.
>
> The guy you feel sorry for after reading "And I was There" is Joe
> Rochefort.  His reward for correctly predicting that the Japanese were
> going to attack Midway was command of a floating dry dock in San Fransico
> bay.
>
You are correct in your assumption.  I was in the process of rereading it
when I saw the reference to Adm. Turner.  You are not kidding about
feeling sorry for Rochefort.  It makes me absolutely sick that the Redmans
were so worried about themselves rather than the country that they pulled that
crap.  It was nice to see there was a little posthumous justice in that
Rochefort's kids received his DSM in 86 from tehn President Reagan.
I need to read Prange's book again to see what he had to say about
Layton and Rochefort.

Sean

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|          Sean Wright             |  Note:  These opinions are mine |
| [email-masked] |         and mine alone.         |
| [email-masked]  |                                 |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Jul 1994 05:00:16 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 07-02-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
07/02 Sun. Allied naval force (Rear Adm. W. M. Fechteler, USN) lands
           Army troops on Noemfoor Island off Netherlands New Guinea
            United States naval vessel sunk
             Motor minesweeper YMS-350, by mine, Normandy area,
              49 d. 38'N., 01 d. 35'W.
            German submarine sunk:
             U-543, by aircraft (VC-58) from escort carrier WAKE ISLAND
              (CVE-65), southeast of Azores Islands,
              25 d. 34'N., 21 d. 36'W.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Jul 1994 09:46:45 -0500
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 02-JUL-1944

On 02-JUL-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - Marshal Karl von Rundstedt asks to be relieved of the command
     of the German forces in the West and Hitler accepts.

Eastern Front - Both the 1st and 3rd Belorussian Fronts converge on Minsk. The
     rail line between Minsk and Baranovichi is cut.

Italian Front - The 133rd Regiment of the US 34th Division captures Marina.
     The 135th consolidates its bridgehead across the Cecina river. The 1st
     Armoured Divisions fails to take Casole d'Elsa and the US forces receives
     heavey losses of men and tanks. Sovicille is captured by the French
     Expeditionary Corps and continues advancing towards Siena. The South
     African 6th Armoured Division is heading towards Sinalunga from which the
     Germans have already withdrawn. The British 4th Division captures Foiano
     and continues on towards Arezzo.

Marianas - On Saipan, the 2nd Marine Division captures Garapan. The front
     advances about half a mile. The Japanese fall back and establish a new
     defensive line running from the east coast of Saipan to north of the
     Tanapag harbour.

New Guinea - The US 158th Regiment, reinforced by Australian units, lands on
     the north coast of Numfoor Island, near the Kamiri airfield. It meets no
     resistance. As the Americans advance inland, they finally meet some
     Japanese resistance. A beachhead is established about two miles wide and
     half a mide deep. Artillery units are landed and begin to shell the
     airfield.

Burma/China - Chinese forces reinforce the north flank of the Myitkyina area.
     On the Salween river front, the Chinese 116th Division advances on
     Teng-chung in spite of violent monsoon rains.

Naval Dispatches
----------------
US minesweeper YMS-350 sunk by mine, Normandy area.

German submarine U-543 sunk by aircraft (VC-58) from escort carrier WAKE
     ISLAND (CVE-65), southeast of Azores Islands.

The Homefront
-------------
Congressional Medals Awarded - The Army has announced the posthumous award of
     the Congressional Medal of Honor to Lt. Walter E. Truemper from Aurora,
     Ill. and Sgt. Archibald Mathies from Finleyville, Pa. Truemper was
     navigator and Mathies engineer of a Flying Fortress which was crippled
     during a raid on Leipzig, Germany on Feb. 20th. The pair remained with
     the pland and tried unsuccessfully to land it and save its wounded pilot.

Norman Davis Dies - Norman H. Davis, 65, chairman of the American Red Cross
     since 1938 died in Hot Springs, Va.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Jul 1994 14:10:23 -0500
From:    Jon Stevens <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ref: SS Jerimiah O'Brien

On Sun, 26 Jun 1994, Tim not Timothy Scherrer wrote:

> I heard that the SS Jerimiah O'Brien was enroute to D-Day, three days
> out of San Fransisco when she had a casualty and stopped her voyage near
> Acupulco.  Has anyone else heard this?  Anybody know anymore details?
>
Tim,

I remember reading about this in a local newspaper a few weeks back.
It said something like a shaft broke or a part of the engine siezed near
Acupulco and it would not be possible to make the rest of the trip to
France.  I looked for the article but could not find it...

Jon Stevens  --  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 2 Jul 1994 14:33:36 -0500
From:    Jon Stevens <[email-masked]>
Subject: Globe Militaria

Does Globe have an 1-800 phone number?  My info on Globe does not show a
phone number.  Could someone post this number if it exists....

Jon Stevens -- [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 1 Jul 1994 to 2 Jul 1994
***********************************************