Subject: WWII-L Digest - 7 Aug 1994 to 8 Aug 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 00:00:29 -0400

There are 26 messages totalling 1588 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INTERDISCIPLINARY SYMPOSIUM:  CALL FOR PAPERS
  2. INF: USN Chronology 08-08-94
  3. Re[2]: Privateer
  4. 50TH: EXERCISE TIGER (2)
  5. INF: 50 Years Ago - 09-AUG-1944
  6. Anti-Semitism in Eastern Europe
  7. REQ Info, 2ND ACR (2)
  8. Model( ship)s as memorials themselves (?)
  9. Info:Yap Island (2)
 10. WEAP: Horten flying wings (4)
 11. INFO:  Yap Island
 12. GEN: Poem by John Magee
 13. INFO: Yap Island (2)
 14. TEST
 15. Lend-Lease Russia
 16. [INF] USAAF 9 AUG 44
 17. Vladivostok Lend-Lease
 18. GEN: Poem by John Magee- "High Flight"
 19. INFO:YAP ISLAND

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 7 Aug 1994 21:55:40 -0700
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: INTERDISCIPLINARY SYMPOSIUM:  CALL FOR PAPERS

>sorry for any cross-posts
>
>
>                               CALL FOR PAPERS
>
>"EXPLORING THE CHALLENGES OF CONFLICT:  ISSUES AND ALTERNATIVES IN THE 20TH
>CENTURY WORLD"
>
>THE FOURTH ANNUAL INTERDISCIPLINARY GRADUATE STUDENT/FACULTY SYMPOSIUM
>Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ
>November 4-5, 1994
>
>The theme of the fourth annual NAU Graduate Student Interdisciplinary
>Symposium (GSIS) is CONFLICT IN THE 20TH CENTURY. GSIS organizers invite
>graduate and law students, faculty, and non-academics to attend and to submit
>abstracts of papers you would like to present at this year's symposium. This
>national conference set amongst the lush mountain pines of Northern Arizona
>will include two days of diverse panels, speakers, discussions and films.
>Registration includes two meals, a keynote address, and a conference packet.
>
>possible topic areas include, but are not limited to:
>
>
>Conflict and Community in Urban Areas
>Violence and Non-violence as Means of Social Change
>Power Relations:  Social, Economic, and/or Political
>Environmental Conflict, Problems, and Alternatives
>"Legitimate" Violence:  Language, Institutions, and/or War
>Gender Conflicts, Issues, and Alternatives
>Technologies for Violent and Non-violent Uses
>Crime and Societies Response to Crime
>Racial and Ethnic Identities and Conflict
>International Conflict: Military, Economic, and Otherwise
>Conflict as Witnessed in Art, Music, or Literature
>
>THE DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS IS SEPTEMBER 1, 1994
>
>REGISTRATION MATERIALS WILL BE SENT OUT UPON RECEIPT AND REVIEW OF ABSTRACTS.
>
>Please send abstracts (200 words plus title) and requests for additional
>information on the symposium to:
>
>     Matt Lindstrom, Co-Chair, GSIS
>     Department of Political Science, NAU Box 15036
>     Flagstaff, AZ 86011
>     (602)  779-5695
>     Email:  [email-masked]
>
>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 01:40:52 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 08-08-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
08/08 Tue. Destroyers and land-based Marine aircraft from Majuro, Mar-
           shall Islands, bombard and bomb Japanese positions on Taro,
           Maloelap Atoll in the Marshall Islands.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 07:51:36 CDT
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: Privateer

The guy took my comment in the light it was meant to be taken, and I
explained that my WWIIAPS group does a B-17 group, so I felt obligated
to say something.  He took it in the right light, and I think he wanted
to escort a new couple of people who walked in the door since I didn't
need to much explanation regarding the displays.

The Hornet/Doolittle Raider display was interesting, although the B-25's
are really out of scale--looking at the model, Doolittle would have had
about 10 feet to take off from--the guy mentioned the aircraft were out
of scale.

 TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 13:44:53 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: 50TH: EXERCISE TIGER

>Admiral Takes Life - Washington has announced that Rear Admiral Don Pardee
>     Moon, 50, who commanded a task force in the Normandy invasion, committed
>     suicide in Washington on August 5th apparently as a result of combat
>     fatigue.

>This suicide was connected with the surprise faux pas during Exercise
>Tiger (qv. earlier this Summer on the list). During that exercise of a
>small portion of the Normandy invasion task force, German PT boats
>surprised and sunk 5 LST's killing about 800 allied personell. The
>raid took place off the South West coast of Britian.

COMMENT:  This was Exercise Tiger, which was the final practice landing by the
4th Infantry Division, which made the assault landing on Utah Beach.  There were
two LST's sunk and one badly damaged.  Most of the dead were from an attached
engineer unit.  My battalion commander (29th FA Bn.) told me about the incident
shortly after the exercise.  He mentioned that the high command was concerned
that a few of the officers who were lost knew where we would be landing.

When told about the incident, one of Eisenhower's comments that it meant that he
would have no reserve LSTs.  (Commanders have to be practical.)

There has been a lot of mythology about Tiger, with commentators during the
resent D-Day anniversary saying that it was covered up until recently.  This
meant that they had only recently discovered it.  It was mentioned in the Green
Books published shortly after the war and was discussed in secondary literature
years ago.

On the other hand, neither the British nor US military advertised the incident,
perhaps because of communications foul ups and the failure of the British to
provide planned protection for the convoy.

There were several ceremonies connected with Tiger held in May.  They were
covered by British TV but, as far as I know, not by American.  (I informed CNN
about the ceremonies, but evidently they had other preoccupations.)

  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 06:54:03 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 09-AUG-1944

On 09-AUG-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The US 3rd Army's offensive continues throughout Brittany; the
     6th Armoured Division at Brest, the 83rd Division at St Malo and the 4th
     Armoured Division at Lorient. From Le Mans the XV Corps is moving south
     towards Alencon. The German counter-offensive in the Avrances sector
     loses some of its strength, though there is still very heavy fighting
     taking place. The Canadian II Corps continues to advance along the line
     from Caen towards Falaise.

Marianas - On Guam, mopping up operations continue in the northern part of the
     island.

New Guinea - All Japanese activity ceases in the Aitape sector.

Burma/China - On the Salween river front, the Japanese carry out a successful
     raid against artillery emplacements and supply dumps in the Chinese 8th
     Army sector of Sung Shan.

The Homefront
-------------
No Draft Cuts In Sight - Selective Service Director Maj. Gen. Lewis B. Hershey
     says in Salem, Ore. that the end of the war in Europe will not reduce
     draft quotas because the Navy will need men for a growing fleet and the
     Army will use fresh men to replace those with long service.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  ([email-masked]/[email-masked])
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 08:57:59 -0700
From:    "Office TH325, Extension 3566" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: EXERCISE TIGER

>From:         JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      50TH: EXERCISE TIGER
>
>>Admiral Takes Life - Washington has announced that Rear Admiral Don Pardee
>>     Moon, 50, who commanded a task force in the Normandy invasion, committed
>>     suicide in Washington on August 5th apparently as a result of combat
>>     fatigue.
>
>>This suicide was connected with the surprise faux pas during Exercise
>>Tiger (qv. earlier this Summer on the list). During that exercise of a
>>small portion of the Normandy invasion task force, German PT boats
>>surprised and sunk 5 LST's killing about 800 allied personell. The
>>raid took place off the South West coast of Britian.

I don't have the books close at hand, but I believe S. E. Morison
dedicated one of the books in the series to Adm Moon.  If my memory is
not playng tricks on me, he never mentions Exercise Tiger as the cause,
but attributes it to the short time Moon had to plan for the invasion of
Southern France.

[deleted]

>When told about the incident, one of Eisenhower's comments that it meant
>that he
>would have no reserve LSTs.  (Commanders have to be practical.)
>

Butcher, "My Three Years with Eisenhower" attributes this comment to Beetle
Smith, Ike's Chief of Staff.  I'm not trying to pick nits here, but from
what I've read of these two men, it seems more in character for Beetle
than Ike.  Butcher also quotes Ike as saying that Adm Moon was
"a dammed good man."

>There has been a lot of mythology about Tiger, with commentators during the
>resent D-Day anniversary saying that it was covered up until recently.  This
>meant that they had only recently discovered it.  It was mentioned in the Green
>Books published shortly after the war and was discussed in secondary literature
>years ago.

I was surprised to see Stephan Ambrose repeat this story in "Band of
Brothers."  He says (p.57), "The incident was covered up by the Allies
for fear that it would hurt morale among the troops scheduled to go to
France in LSTs (it remained covered up for more than forty years,
evidently out of embarrassment)."

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 12:23:16 -0500
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Anti-Semitism in Eastern Europe

Yes, but once a more Fascist ("Arrow Cross" was the Hungarian terminology)was
installed by the Germans after their coup in '44, the Germans managed to
exterminate some 600,000 Hungarian Jews, a feat which would have been
impossible without the active and voluntary participation of thousands of
Hungarians, civilians as well as the dreaded Gendarme military police.
For a description of some of the incredible brutalities involved (many were
horribly tortured by the police searching for valuables before being herded
on the trains for Auschwitz and elsewhere) see Nagy-Talavera's "The Green
Shirts and Others."  Nagy-Talavera himself was a Jewish teenager in Budapest
during the events described, who personally avoided deportation (many Jews
in Budapest itself were spared, partly because they were needed for labor).
Prior to the German take-over and installation of the Arrow Cross puppet
government, the Hungarian government (especially during Kallay's tenure as
Prime Minister) did indeed shelter the Jews, including many foreigners who
had managed to escape to Hungary.  But once the Germans had destroyed the
autonomous Hungarian government in fall '44, they were able due to the
active participation of so many ordinary Hungarian citizens to deport more
than a half million Jews to the extermination camps in a matter of weeks.
(see also Kallay's autobiography and Professor McCarthy's two-volume work)

Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 12:57:18 -600
From:    Lowell Rick Cox <[email-masked]>
Subject: REQ Info, 2ND ACR

Hello Everyone,

I've been on this list for quite a while now.  I really enjoy many of the
topics, and
I've even learned some new things.

I am interested in learning more about the Second Armored Cavalry Regiment.
I served in L Troop, 3RD Squadron from Feb. of 1978 to Jan. of 1980.  I have
long considered my time with the 2ND ACR as my favorite time in over 17
years of military service (Active 8, USAR 5, & ILNG 4).  I have a pretty solid
knowledge of the Regiments history up to WWI, and post WWII.  But almost
no knowledge of what the unit was up to between the wars, and more
importantly, during WWII.  Any information, sources, etc. would be greatly
appreciated.  Feel free to respond either directly to my address, or to the list
if the information would be of interest to other list-members.

I noticed in a recent post that some list members are planning on attending
GenCon.  I will be attending GenCon and hope to meet some of the other
list-members.  Unfortunately, I will be working the Con, which limits my
freedom of movement somewhat.  If anyone is interested in saying hello,
I can be found/contacted at any of the following areas;

The FASA Demo Booth on the Dealers Floor.
The Computer Concourse
The MGCA Booth

Just ask for Rick Cox.

Thanks in advance for any info. that you can provide!

Rick Cox     [email-masked]
Ameritech National Customer Service Center
Hoffman Estates, IL  USA

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 13:05:19 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Model( ship)s as memorials themselves (?)

As I was designing/constructing my waterline cardstock paper
  model of HMAS PERTH (which went down in the Java Sea in
  early 1942) it just struck me that the models themselves
  are, in a diminuitive way, memorials to the ships they
  replicate and the men who served (and often died) on them.

This is an intriguing contrast to military models, although
  aircraft models are becoming increasingly individualized.

I have dedicated my Russian Front wargames to the Poles,
  Russians, and other peoples of Eastern Europe who were our
  allies and who suffered, endured, and contributed so much
  to Allied Victory.  Maybe I should be "dedicating" my
  *Allied* ship models, similarly?

Lou Coatney, Naval (Model) Architect at Large

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 14:47:17 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Info:Yap Island

Been noticing from Jack McKillop's 50YAT postings, that the
U.S. has been bombing Yap island on an almost daily basis. However,
I am ignorant as just what the significance of Yap island is.

Perhaps it is also known under another name? Could someone take pity
on my ignorance and enlighten me?

When I see the work "yap" I think of my wife and the phone...:-)

Thanx                                                           Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 15:00:07 CCS
From:    Jorge Merino <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Horten flying wings

Hi folks,

I've found this while reviewing some old archive files from another list.
This may be interesting for many folks out there, so I'm forwarding this
info. I hope you will find it interesting.

Jorge Merino

Forwarded note follows..............................

=========================================================================
From:    John Powell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Horten Flying Wing

The Horten Flying Wing in World War II: The History & Development of the
Ho 229, by H. P. Dabrowski, translated from the German by David Johnson.
(Schiffer Military History Vol. 47, ISBN 0-88740-357-3)

Sources:
--------

R. Horten/ P.F. Selinger: "Nurflugel", Graz 1983 D. Myhra: "Horten 229"
Monogram Close-Up No. 12, Boylston 1983

B. Lange: "Typenhandbuch der deutschen Luftfahrttechnik", Koblenz 1986

T-2 Report ''German Flying Wings Designed by Horten Brothers",
Wright-Patterson AFB 1946

W. Rosler: "Bericht uber den Fluganfall des
Turbinen-Nurflugel-Flugzeuges Horten IX, V2... (1985, unpublished)

Working Discussion on the 229 Mock-up (13. 10. 1944)

DVL Short Report on the Testing of the Flying Characteristics of the
Horten IX V-1 (Berlin-Adlershof, July 7, 1944)

Power Plant Installation in Go 229  (Horten), (V3+V5), March 7, 1945,
Junkers Flugzeugl- und Motorenwerke A.G.

Flight Log of Lt. Erwin Ziller via Dr. Jorg Ziller

Correspondence with W. Horten, R. Horten, H.J. Meier, D. Myhra, K.
Nickel, W. Radinger, R. Roeser, W. Rosler, H. Scheidhauer, P.F.
Selinger, G. Sengfelder, R. Stadler.

                         The Horten 229 Fighter-Bomber
                           The Horten H V, H VII and
                             H IX All-Wing Aircraft

                              Preliminary Remarks

        The subject of "all-wing" aircraft is too extensive to be
covered in depth here. Therefore, only the Horten H V, H VII and H IX
(the latter also known as the Ho or Go 229) will be dealt with, all of
which were twin-engined aircraft.

        Doctor Reimar Horten, together with Dipl.Ing. Peter Selinger,
has written about all of his aircraft in detail in the book Nurflugel
(Weishaupt Verlag, Graz 1983). Major Walter Horten, at that time
Technical Advisor of the General of Fighters in the
Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM), made feasible the realization of his
brother's designs.

                            Nothing New Under The Sun...

        When the newest American super-bomber, the Northrop B-2, was
revealed to the public at Palmdale, California on November 22, 1988,
many aviation history enthusiasts must have noted that the configuration
selected by the aircraft's designers, namely that of the "flying wing,"
had been resurrected from the dead, as it were. Although present day
experience has shown that the all-wing configuration is the best one for
avoiding detection by enemy radar (aided by the latest technology in
materials, electronics and computers), the same configuration has been
in practical use since about 1930. The first jet-powered all-wing
aircraft flew in Germany on February 2, 1945, and at the time was also
virtually undetectable by radar, partly on account of its mixed
construction (wooden wings).

        In the United States, John Knudsen Northrop had been working on
all-wing aircraft since the end of the 1920s. His first aircraft of this
configuration (although it did employ two small vertical tail fins on
thin tail booms) was the "Flying Wing," which flew in 1929. Because of
poor economic conditions during the 1930s, Northrop's twin-engined
all-wing N1M did not appear until 1940, and the N9M until 1942.

        Individual projects were undertaken in varlous countries, but in
the Soviet Union there were numerous attempts, some of them very
promising, to learn the secrets of the all-wing aircraft. The most
successful Soviet designer was Boris Ivanovich Chernanovski, who
developed a series of projects from 1921 to 1940.

        In Germany, the Horten brothers, Reimar and Walter, had in mind
a pure all-wing aircraft with no vertical control surfaces of any kind.
Inspired by the Stork- and Delta-type tailless aircraft of Alexander
Lippisch, they began their work at the end of the 1920s. Successful
flight tests of their first tailless glider were carried out at
Bonn-Hangelar airfield in July 1933. By 1934 they were working at
Germany's "Gliding Mecca," the Wasserkuppe. The all-wing concept had
achieved its first practical success.

        Although development of the all-wing aircraft began at about the
same time in Germany, the Soviet Union and America, there was no
collaboration whatsoever between designers. In spite of this, design
teams in these widely separated parts of the world were convinced that
the all-wing aircraft was the best configuration and pursued the idea
with much idealism. It is no wonder, therefore, that the concept has
been revived in the present day.

        The Northrop "Flying Wings" and the twin-engined Horten H V, H
VII and H IX aircraft described herein can in a way be considered the
forerunners of the B-2.

        The H V was a pure research aircraft equipped with two
counter-rotating pusher propellers: The H IX was designed as a
twin-engined, turbojet fighter-bomber, and the H VII, also with two
pusher propellers, was intended to serve as a trainer for jet aircraft.
Detailed descriptions of the three types follow.

Horten Va, W.-Nr. 5

        The H Va was built in 1936/37 in cooperation with the Dynamit AG
in Troisdorf, near Cologne. A synthetic material (Trolitax) were used in
the aircraft's construction. Use of this material resulted in a series
of problems, even though the glider Hol's der Teufel had previously been
built using this method. Several of the solutions to these problems were
patented by the Dynamit company. The nose of the H V was covered in
clear Cellon and the two pilots occupied prone positions. The aircraft
was fitted with a tricycle undercarriage with faired main members (only
the nosewheel was retractable), and the two Hirth HM-60-R engines drove
two-bladed pusher propellers directly (no extension shafts). The
propeller manufacturer Peter Kempel produced the propellers from
Lignofol (beech wood impregnated with synthetic resin). The H Va
introduced novel movable wingtip control surfaces.

        The aircraft's only flight took place at Bonn-Hangelar in early
1937. In the aircraft were Walter and Reimar Horten. The extreme aft
location of the engines made the aircraft unstable, and at its low
takeoff speed the aircraft's controls were unable to overcome the
resulting tail-heaviness at the moment of rotation. The H Va became
airborne briefly, then crashed, damaging the aircraft seriously. The
injuries sustained by the two men were relatively minor (Walter Horten
knocked out his two upper front teeth). Following the accident the
Dynamit AG collected the remains of the H Va to carry out tests on the
materials used in its construction.

Horten Vb, W.-Nr. 9

        The H Vb was a research aircraft built at Cologne-Ostheim using
conventional construction methods (wood and steel tube) on instructions
from Major Dinort with the approval of Ernst Udet. As a result of the
accident with the H Va, the movable wingtip controls were dispensed with
and the designers turned to more conventional elevons. The Hirth engines
of the unlucky H Va were used again, but were positioned further forward
and drove their propellers vla short extension shafts, resulting in a
more favorable weight distribution. The H Vb's pilots sat upright next
to each other and were provided with individual raised canopies. Like
the H Va, the H Vb had a fixed tricycle undercarriage. The aircraft's
first flight took place at Cologne-Ostheim in autumn 1937 with Walter
Horten at the controls. From the beginning of the war in 1939 until 1941
the aircraft was parked in the open at Potsdam-Werder airfield, which
was not altogether beneficial for an aircraft built largely of wood.

Horten Vc, W.-Nr. 27

        Efforts by the Luftwaffe-Inspektion 3 (Lln 3, or Luftwaffe
Inspectorate for Fighters, whose Technical Department Head was Walter
Horten) succeeded in convincing Generalflugzeugmeister Ernst Udet that
it was advisable to retum the H V to flying status. In August 1941 a
special detachment of Lln 3 was formed in Minden to oversee the
reconstruction of the aircraft by the Peschke Firm.  Peschke, a former
WW I fighter pilot, had established a flying school at Hangelar and
later an aircraft repair facility at Minden, The latter facility
repaired aircraft such as the Fw 44 Stieglitz, He 72 Kadett, Fi 156
Storch and the RK Schwalbe. Peschke and the Horten brothers knew each
other from Hangelar. In charge of the Lln 3 detachment was Luftwaffe
Leutnant Reimar Horten. His team consisted of three designing engineers
and five other men, including Heinz Scheidhauer, an experienced all-wing
glider specialist. Later the special detachment was moved to Gottingen
and enlarged to thirty men (soldiers, engineers, craftsmen and so on).

        The Horten Vc was converted from the H Vb, which had been badly
damaged by the elements. In Minden the two-seat H Vb became a
single-seat aircraft. The pilot was accommodated in a normal seated
position. The H Va's Hirth engines were retained, as were its steel tube
and wood construction and fixed undercarriage. As property of the
military, it was finished in standard Luftwaffe camouflage and was
assigned the code PE + HO (PE for Peschke and HO for Horten).

        The H Vc made its first flight on May 26, 1942. Walter Horten
later flew the machine to Gottingen, where Luftwaffenkommando IX was
being formed.

        Flugkapitan Prof. Dr. Josef Stuper, then Director of the
Instituts fur Forschungsflugbetrieb und Flugwesen (Institute for Flight
Research and Aviation) at the Aerodynamischen Versuchsanstalt (AVA)
Gottingen (Gottingen Aerodynamic Research Institute), carried out test
flights in the H Vc.  Late in the summer of 1943 an incident occurred
involving the H Vc. Stuper took off from the center of the airfield with
the aircraft's flaps in the down position. The aircraft's under-carriage
struck the roof of a hangar and the H Vc crashed. Stuper escaped without
serious injury, but the aircraft was badly damaged. It was subsequently
stored at Gottingen in anticipation of restoration following the end of
the war. Events were to prove differently, however, as all of the
aircraft held there were assembled at the edge of the airfield and
burned following Germany's surrender. A projected glider tug based on
the H Vc was not built.

Horten VII, W.-Nr. 29

        Construction of the H VII took place at the Gottingen Bureau.
The aircraft's wings, which were of wooden construction, were built by
the Lln 3 workshop, while the center section, which was of welded tube
steel construction with Dural skinning, was manufactured by the Peschke
Firm in Minden. The aircraft made its first flight in May 1943 with
Heinz Scheidhauer and Walter Horten on board. The aircraft had
originally been conceived as a flying test-bed for the Argus-Schmidt
pulse-jet engine after the H V had proved unsuitable for the role. When
this plan was abandoned it was proposed as a fighter training aircraft.
The H VII was powered by two Argus AS-10-SC engines drivinq two-bladed
constant-speed propellers via extension shafts. The aircraft featured a
fully retractable twin nosewheel under-carriage. So-called "wingtip
rudders" were used in place of a conventional rudder. The aircraft was
assigned the RLM-Number 8-226. The aircraft's pilots were Heinz
Scheidhauer, Erwin Ziller and Walter Horten. In autumn 1944 Oberst
Knemeyer demonstrated the H VII to Hermann Goring at Oranienburg, after
the Reichsmarschall had expressed a desire to see a Horten aircraft in
action.

        Knemeyer was the RLM flight-test chief and was favorably
disposed toward the aircraft developed by the Horten brothers. Goring, a
former WW I fighter pilot, had not participated in the later gliding
boom and was unfamiliar with the aircraft which emerged from the
program. He wanted to see the aircraft fly on one engine, which Heinz
Scheidhauer did without any hesitation. The Reichsmarschall was
impressed; the Peschke Firm received an order for twenty examples.

        Construction of the H VII V2 began in 1944, but the aircraft had
not been completed when the war ended. The V3, which was to see the
"wingtip rudders" replaced by spoilers above and below the wings, as on
the H IX, progressed no farther than the manufacturing of various
components.

        In February 1945 Heinz Scheidhauer flew the H VII to Gottingen.
Hydraulic failure prevented him from extending the aircraft's
undercarriage, and he was forced to make a belly landing. The resulting
damage had not been repaired when, on April 7, 1945, US troops occupied
the airfield. The aircraft presumably suffered the same fate as the H V
and was burned.

Horten IX V1, W.-Nr. 38

        Walter Horten was aware of the performance achieved by the DFS
194 rocket-powered research aircraft, and thus knew that wooden
construction methods were suitable for high-performance aircraft. After
seeing the Me 262 in March 1943 he set out to acquire information on the
Jumo 004 turbojet engine. Further work on the H VII was abandoned and
all efforts were concentrated on the H IX, which originated from
Goring's 1000x1000x1000 demand, in which the Reichsmarschall specified
that no new project would be considered unless it achieved the following
performance figures: a speed of at least 1,000 kph and the ability to
carry a 1,000 kg bomb load 1,000 km into enemy territory. Justifiable
deviations from these figures would be accepted. At that time Walter
Horten was a Hauptmann on the staff of Lln3. He managed to obtain a
transfer to Gottingen, where he took over command of Luftwaffenkommando
IX. Soon afterward, however, the Kommando was officially disbanded, and
as a result Lln3 ceased to be the office responsible for development of
the Horten projects. New life was injected into the Horten Firm, when,
in August, Hermann Goring informed the company that work on the H IX
turbojet fighter-bomber was to proceed with all urgency and that it was
to construct a flyable, but unpowered, example as soon as possible.

        Luftwaffenkommando IX, which officially no longer existed,
continued to be funded and carried on its work, but without direct
influence from the Technischen Amt of the RLM. The H IX V1 was an
unpowered research glider and received the RLM-Number 8-229. The
aircraft was of mixed construction (welded steel tube and wood) and was
covered with several layers of plywood of various qualities, the outer
layer being of the best quality. This method of construction made radar
detection of the aircraft extremely difficult. The pilot was
accommodated in a normal seated position. The first flight of the V1
took place on March 1, 1944, at Gottingen with Heinz Scheidhauer at the
controls. Following several towed takeoffs, the aircraft was sent to
Oranienburg near Berlin for flight testing, with Scheidhauer as pilot. A
brief report submitted by the DVL on April 7, 1944, indicated that the
aircraft provided an excellent gun platform.

        In order to simulate the stabilizing effect of the engines,
which were absent from the V1, the aircraft's main undercarriage legs
were faired from the outset; only the aircraft's nosewheel was
retractable. On March 5 the nose gear failed after it developed a wobble
on Oranienburg's concrete runway. A special pressure suit was to have
replaced the absent cockpit pressurization, but was never used in
practice.

        The machine was sent to Brandis, where it was to be tested by
the military and used for training purposes. It was found there by
soldiers of the US 9th Armored Division at the end of the war and was
later burned in a "clearing action."

Horten HIX, Werk-Nr.9, 1944/45

        The H IX V2 was a test machine powered by two Jumo 004 turbojets
and was assigned the RLM number 8-229. It was the world's first
turbojet-powered all-wing aircraft.  The V2 had a fully retractable
undercarriage and was unarmed. The pilot was accommodated in a
conventional seated position.

        Serious difficulties and delays in construction arose when the
planned BMW 003 engines had to be replaced by more powerful Jumo 004s.
The diameter of the Junkers engine was greater than that of the BMW
product, requiring redesign of the engine bays. Like its predecessors,
the aircraft was of mixed construction. The V2's undercarriage consisted
of the tailwheel from a wrecked He 177 bomber, which was used as
nosewheel, and the main undercarriage from a Bf 109 fighter.

        The first test flight was made from Oranienburg on February 2,
1945, with Leutnant Erwin Ziller at the controls, and lasted about 30
minutes. The Horten brothers had known Ziller from the competitions at
the Wasserkuppe. Ziller had familiarized himself with all-wing aircraft
in December 1944 and January 1945, making several flights in the Horten
H IX V1 glider (an He 111 served as glider tug) and the twin-engined
Horten H VII at Oranienburg.

        Ziller spent the last three days of December 1944 at
Erprobungsstelle Rechlin, where he made a total of five flights in the
Me 262. These flights provided Ziller with an opportunity to become
familiar with the operation and characteristics of the Jumo 004 turbojet
engine.

        At the end of a second successful test flight on February 3,
1945, Ziller deployed the aircraft's braking parachute too soon on his
landing approach. The result was a hard landing which damaged the
aircraft's main undercarrlage. Consequently, the third test flight in
the Horten H IX did not take place until February 18, 1945. Returning
after about 45 minutes in the air, Ziller was seen to dive the aircraft
and pull up several times at an altitude of about 800 meters, apparently
in an effort to relight an engine. The undercarriage was lowered
unusually early, at an altitude of about 400 meters. The V2's speed
decreased and, accompanied by increasing engine noise, its nose dropped
and the aircraft entered a right-hand turn. The H IX completed a 360
degree turn with its wings banked 20 degrees. It then accelerated and
completed a second and third 360 degree turn, the angle of bank
increasing all the while. As it began a fourth circle, the aircraft
struck the frozen turf beyond the airfield boundary.

        Walter Rosler was the first Horten employee to reach the crash
site, about two-and-a-half minutes after the accident. In his report he
stated: "The first thing I saw was the two Junkers engines lying on the
other side of the embankment. I could hear the turbine running down in
the still-warm left power plant, while there was not a sound from the
cooled-off right engine which lay beside it. . ." There was a strong
smell of fuel, but no fire. Other than the jet engines and plexiglass
cockpit hood, the aircraft had been completely destroyed. Like the
engines, Ziller was ejected from the aircraft on impact. He was thrown
against a large tree and killed instantly. Ziller had not used his
radio, and had continued to fly the aircraft with an engine out and the
undercarriage extended. He did not attempt to use his ejection seat and
parachute to safety, and the aicraft's canopy was not jettisoned. It
seems certain that he was attempting to save the valuable aircraft.

        What had happened? The empty compressed air bottle in the
wreckage confirmed that the undercarriage had been lowered with
compressed air after a loss of hydraulic power following the failure of
an engine. Had there been a stall, beginning at the right wingtip? Had
the test pilot been rendered unconscious and unable to react by
carbonizing oil from the remaining engine, which had eventually
overheated? (There were no bulkheads separating the cockpit from the
engine bays.)

        Unfortunately, only Leutnant Ziller could have answered these
questions, and he had failed to survive. In the opinion of the
investigating experts sabotage could not be ruled out.

Horten H IX V3, RLN-Number 8-229

        The H IX V3 was an unarmed, twin-Jet, single seat aircraft.
Further production of the fighter bomber was assigned to the Gothaer
Waggonfabrik (GWF). Well-known for its Go 241 carg0 glider, Gotha was
considered the company best suited to manufacture Horten aircraft. The
aircraft's turbojet engines were installed splayed 15 degrees left and
right of the aircraft centerline and 4 degrees nose down. The new
installation was tested in a center section mock-up. Construction of the
H IX V3 was nearly complete when the Gotha Works at Friederichsroda was
overrun by troops of the American 3rd Army's VII Corps on April 14,
1945. The aircraft was assigned the number T2-490 by the Americans. The
aircraft's official RLM designation is uncertain, as it was referred to
as the Ho 229 as well as the Go 229. Also found in the destroyed and
abandoned works were several other prototypes in various stages of
construction, including a two-seat version.

        The V3 was sent to the United States by ship, along with other
captured aircraft, and finally ended up in the H. H. "Hap" Arnold
collection of the Air Force Technical Museum. The all-wing aircraft was
to have been brought to flying status at Park Ridge, Illinois, but
budget cuts in the late forties and early fifties brought these plans to
an end. The V3 was handed over to the present-day National Air and Space
Museum (NASM) in Washington D.C.

Technical Data:
---------------

Type            Span/m  Length/m  Height/m  Empty      Gross
------------                                weight/kg  weight/kg
                ------  --------  --------  ---------  ---------

Horten H Va     14.00    -         -        1,600      1,840

Horten Vb       16.00   6.00      2.10      1,360      1,600

Horetn Vc       16.00   6.00       -        1,440      1,600

Horten H VII    16.00   7.40      2.60      2,200      3,200

Horten IX V1    16.76   7.60       -        1,900      2,000

Horten H IX V2  16.76   7.47      2.81      4,844      6,876

Horten H IX V3  16.80   7.47      2.81      5,067      8,999

Horten H IX V4           -         -         -          -

Horten H IX V5           -         -         -          -

Horten H IX V6  16.76    -         -         -          -

Horten IX V7             -         -         -          -

Horten IX V8             -         -         -          -

Technical Data:
---------------

Type            Power Plants  Output      Maximum    Cruise     Landing
------------                              speed/kph  speed/kph  speed/kph
                ------------  ------      ---------  ---------  ----------

Horten H Va     2xHirth HM60R 80HP each   280        250        84

Horten Vb       2xHirth HM60R 80HP each   260        230        70

Horetn Vc       2xHirth HM60R 80HP each   260        230        70

Horten H VII    2xArgus AS10C 240HP each  340        310        100

Horten IX V1       -            -          -          -         75

Horten H IX V2  2xJumo 004B-2 900KG each  977        690        145

Horten H IX V3  2xJumo 004B-2 900KG each  977        632        156

Horten H IX V4     -            -          -          -          -

Horten H IX V5     -            -          -          -          -

Horten H IX V6  2xJumo 004B-2 900KG each   -          -          -

Horten IX V7       -            -          -          -          -

Horten IX V8       -            -          -          -          -

Technical Data:
---------------

Type            Crew      Armament      Remarks
------------    -------   --------      ------------------------------

Horten H Va     2 prone      -          Research aircraft, synthetic
                                        materials.

Horten Vb       2 prone      -          Research aircraft, mixed wood
                                        and steel tube construction.

Horten Vc       1 seated     -          Research aircraft, mixed wood
                                        and steel tube construction.

Horten H VII    2 seated     -          Fighter trainer Ho 226,
                                        wood-Dural construction.

Horten IX V1    1            -          Research aircraft, mixed wood
                                        and steel tube construction.

Horten H IX V2  1 seated     -          Fighter test aircraft, wood and
                                        steel tube construction.

Horten H IX V3  1 seated  2xMK 103 or   Fighter-bomber Ho Prototype
                          4xMK 108 or   Reconnaissance Aircraft.
                          2xMK 108 and
                          2xRB8-/81

Horten H IX V4  1 seated     -          Ho 229 B-1 night fighter.

Horten H IX V5  1 seated     -          Ho 229 B-1 night fighter.

Horten H IX V6  2 seated  4xMK 108 or   Trainer, night fighter trainer.
                          2xMK 103

Horten IX V7                 -          Prototype 3, A-series with full
                                        equipment.

Horten IX V8                 -          -

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 15:25:50 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Horten flying wings

Was it an oversight that you didn't mention Burnelli's liftwing design?

The last remaining burnelli craft sits dejectedly at the New England Air
Museum, in Windsor Locks, CT.

apparently some sort of ago contest in which Burnelli lost...

Anyway, the plane itself looks like it could use some TLC...
                                                                Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 15:41:11 CCS
From:    Jorge Merino <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Horten flying wings

The article was about the Horten brothers flying wing designs. I have some
little info about Burnelli designs at home. I will post it if you are
interested. If you have also info about Burnelli aircraft, please post it.

Jorge Merino

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 15:49:24 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Horten flying wings

>The article was about the Horten brothers flying wing designs. I have some
>little info about Burnelli designs at home. I will post it if you are
>interested. If you have also info about Burnelli aircraft, please post it.

>Jorge Merino

Sure, I'm interested. All I know about Burnelli's design is what I read
from an old Air/Space issue (Dan probably wrote it;-)).

Unfortuantly, I'm very ignorant of much of what went on 50 years ago.
I wanna learn, hence here I am!

Thanx in advance Jorge, I appreciate the effort...
                                                                Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 16:40:56 EDT
From:    SKIP WILDER <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO:  Yap Island

The following is from the Academic American Encyclopedia:

        The Yap Islands are a volcanic archipelago in the western Caroline
Islands in the western Pacific.  Yap is the largest of the 14 islands.  The
total land area is 45.9 sq. miles, and the population, mostly of Malay
origin, is 12,008 (1988).  Copra, bauxite, and manganese are exported.
Stone artifacts and the stone money still in use attract archaeologists to
the islands.
        Probably visited by the Portuguese in the 1520s, the islands were
annexed by Spain in 1686 and acquired by Germany in 1899 for a transoceanic
cable station.  Held by Japan from 1919, the Yap Islands were part of the
Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, administered by the United States
from 1947 to 1986, when they became part of the Federate States of Micronesia.
 -----------------------------------------------------------
 |    Skip Wilder              |                           |
 |    [email-masked]      |"The road to hell is paved |
 |    FAX (703)528-2103        | with good intentions."    |
 |    McLean, Virginia, U.S.A. |                           |
 -----------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 17:14:26 EDT
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REQ Info, 2ND ACR

Rick Cox is asking about the history of the 2nd ACR in WWII. For any question
on WWII American order of battle I recommend Shelby Stanton's fine book,
Order of battle US Army WWII
He shows the 2nd cavalry regt (horse) stationed at Ft Riley Kansas as aprt of
2nd cavalry div until 24 June 42. it was inactivated at Ft Riely on 15 July
42 and all personnel and equipment were transfered to the 2nd Armored
Regiment.
Under 2nd armored regiment he shows - activated at Ft. Riley Kansas on 15
July 42 and assigned to the 9th Armored Division. moved to Cp Younbg Calif on
14 June 43 where the regiment was redesignated the 2nd Tank Battalion on 9
Oct. but its 1st and 3rd bns were redesignated the 776yh and 19th tank bns
and Troop D 89th Cav Recon Sqdr respectively and rest was disbanded.
Turning to the entry for the 9th armored division we find that it was
activated at Ft Riley on 15 July 42 and after moving around the states  to
various places left Camp Kilmer Jew Jersy on 14 Aug 44 andarrived in England
on 1 Sept 1944. It then went to France and crossed into Luxemburg on 20 Oct
44. It went back and forth between Belgium and France until end of Feb 45
when it entered Germanyh on 2 March.  There is a couple page description of
the combat actions and data on losses and commanders etc.

HOWEVER:  In view of the way the army has switched lineages around I can't
guarantee that they consider the current 2nd ACR as the lineal descendent of
the 2nd Cav Regt of preWWII vintage.
So there you have it. A call to the folks in the lineage business at Cameron
Station would confirm the heritage they assign.

hope this helps
john sloan
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 20:50:00 +0000
From:    Daniel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mal=E9part_=28514=29?= 283-0348
         <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Poem by John Magee

    Good afternoon, everyone!

    I was watching the movie "The Man without a face" this week-end, and in
    it, you have Mel Gibson saying a poem in which the last verse finishes
    by "... and touched the Face of God".  Unfortunately, I didn't catch
    the whole poem.

    Further research brought me to a book where a few verses of this poem
    is reproduced: it's a poem by John Magee, who was killed in the Battle
    of Britain.

    Can anyone of you give me the whole poem?  It looks like a very decent
    and touching poem...

    Thanks in advance!

    Daniel Malepart, Computer specialist | "Il faut detester la guerre et
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada             | respecter ceux qui l'ont faite."
    [email-masked]          | - Antoine de St-Exupery

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 15:11:59 -0700
From:    Ed Kettler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INFO: Yap Island

Yap was one of the Japanese island bases bypassed in th eCentral Pacific
campaign.  The bases were routinely pounded to prevent them from
endangering ships moving towards US held islands or conducting amphibious
operations against Japanese bases.

Ed Kettler                                       [email-masked]

On Mon, 8 Aug 1994, SKIP WILDER wrote:

> The following is from the Academic American Encyclopedia:
>
>         The Yap Islands are a volcanic archipelago in the western Caroline
> Islands in the western Pacific.  Yap is the largest of the 14 islands.  The
> total land area is 45.9 sq. miles, and the population, mostly of Malay
> origin, is 12,008 (1988).  Copra, bauxite, and manganese are exported.
> Stone artifacts and the stone money still in use attract archaeologists to
> the islands.
>         Probably visited by the Portuguese in the 1520s, the islands were
> annexed by Spain in 1686 and acquired by Germany in 1899 for a transoceanic
> cable station.  Held by Japan from 1919, the Yap Islands were part of the
> Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, administered by the United States
> from 1947 to 1986, when they became part of the Federate States of Micronesia.
>  -----------------------------------------------------------
>  |    Skip Wilder              |                           |
>  |    [email-masked]      |"The road to hell is paved |
>  |    FAX (703)528-2103        | with good intentions."    |
>  |    McLean, Virginia, U.S.A. |                           |
>  -----------------------------------------------------------
>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 18:37:59 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INFO: Yap Island

Ed Kettler writes

>Yap was one of the Japanese island bases bypassed in th eCentral Pacific
>campaign.  The bases were routinely pounded to prevent them from
>endangering ships moving towards US held islands or conducting amphibious
>operations against Japanese bases.

>On Mon, 8 Aug 1994, SKIP WILDER wrote:

>> The following is from the Academic American Encyclopedia:
>>
>>         The Yap Islands are a volcanic archipelago in the western Caroline
>> Islands in the western Pacific.  Yap is the largest of the 14 islands.  The
>> total land area is 45.9 sq. miles, and the population, mostly of Malay
>> origin, is 12,008 (1988).  Copra, bauxite, and manganese are exported.
>> Stone artifacts and the stone money still in use attract archaeologists to
>> the islands.
>>         Probably visited by the Portuguese in the 1520s, the islands were
>> annexed by Spain in 1686 and acquired by Germany in 1899 for a transoceanic
>> cable station.  Held by Japan from 1919, the Yap Islands were part of the
>> Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, administered by the United States
>> from 1947 to 1986, when they became part of the Federate States of Micronesia.

So, I guess they were sort of like Truk. Always on the minds of the US, allways
a threat, but neutralized by bypassing them, rather than a costly invasion. I
suppose they consisted a threat because they were so consistantly bombed, but
not worth the cost of invading, eg. loss of life.

The lesson here, I guess is that there are two ways of neutralizing an enemy:
By brute force, and by isolation.

Thanx to you and Skip for such prompt, complete, and thourough replies. It's
gentlemen like yourself that make this list so informative and enjoyable!

                                                                Steve

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 9 Aug 1994 02:06:38 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: TEST

Just a test to see if I am on the list now...

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 20:59:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Info:Yap Island

 >Been noticing from Jack McKillop's 50YAT postings, that the
 >U.S. has been bombing Yap island on an almost daily basis. However,
 >I am ignorant as just what the significance of Yap island is.
 >
 >Perhaps it is also known under another name? Could someone take pity
 >on my ignorance and enlighten me?
 >
 >When I see the work "yap" I think of my wife and the phone...:-)

And what is your wife's e-mail address????????

 >Thanx                                                           Steve
 >Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT

Steven,

Yap Island is an island in the Caroline Islands at approximately 9 deg 30'
N and 138 deg 10' E.  Yap had two important functions during WWII; first,
it was a naval base but I will leave it to the Naval Historians to pick up
on this thread.  I am going to concentrate on it's importance as an air
base.

During the invasion of the Mariana Islands in 1944, the US was concerned
about the Japanese reinforcing their air garrisons in the Central and SW
Pacific.  There were three routes available to the Japanese, i.e.:

  1. From the Home Islands by way of Marcus Island in the North Pacific to
Wake Island where the Allied supply lines could be attacked.
  2. From the Home Islands to the Bonin Islands and then to the Mariana
Islands for staging to Truk Island.
  3. From the Philippines thru the Palau Islands and western Caroline
Islands (Yap Island and Woleai Atoll) to Truk Island.

Yap and Woleai took a beating from Thirteenth Air Force B-24s to block this
resupply of aircraft.  The Thirteenth hit Yap each day from 22 to 28 Jun;
on 18 days from 3 to 23 Jul; and finally, from 2 to 10 Aug.  All told, over
1,000 tons of bombs were dropped on Yap.

Another consideration was that Yap was approximately 400 miles (644 km)
SW of the Mariana Islands.  The US wanted (1) to deny the Japanese a base
from which to attack the landing force and (2) the USN planned to build a
very large anchorage at Ulithi and wanted to keep Japanese aircraft out of
the area.  So Yap and Woleai took a beating to keep the airfields
inoperative.

Finally, in Sep 43, Admiral Nimitz issued a plan covering future operations
in the Central Pacific which included the following invasions:

  1. Makin and Tarawa in the Gilbert Islands by 15 Nov 43.
  2. Kwajalein, Wotje and Maloelap in the Marshall Islands by 1 Jan 44.
  3. Eniwetok, Marshall Islands and Kusaie, Caroline Islands by 15 Feb 44.
  4. Either Ponape or Truk in the Caroline Islands by 1 Jun 44 and 1 Sep 44
     respectively.
  5. Possibly Yap and Paulau in the western Caroline Islands or Saipan and
     Tinian in the Marianas by the end of 1944.

There were approximately 10,500 Japanese troop on Yap.

Yap remained a candidate until Sep 44 when, after a series of carrier
strikes in the W Pacific, Nimitz realized that there was limited opposition
in the area and he decided to drop the invasion of Yap and proceed directly
to the Philippines.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 21:05:54 EDT
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Lend-Lease Russia

Hi all,
I am sending with this a email I received from Vladivostok from a Russian
journalist who is publishing information on the American - Lend Lease program
to Russia in the Soviet Far East during WWII. This is certainly a very
obscure part of the overall lend lease program, which itself has not been
acknowledged much heretofore in Russia. If anyone has any ideas on how the
work this gentleman is trying to do can be furthered, I would appreciate
hearing them. Perhaps some academic organization holding a conference on the
subject or a foundation having an interest could help fund the further
research. Perhaps there is an American scholar who is already working on the
issue, who would like to collaborate .  Here is the message.
thanks to all
John Sloan
[email-masked]
*********

From:     [email-masked]
To:  JohnS426

Dear Mr. Professor, I am free-lance journalist. During some years
I have been researching the theme: "Lend-Lease in the Pacific".
This was very secret and till now is very unknown period of
relations between our countries and our people on the Pacific
Ocean. "Lend-Lease on Pacific" is a name of my article in the
Russion newspaper "Vostok Rossii" what was published in Anchorage
in April 1993 in English. The newspaper died after this number.
And magazine "Russian Life" probably died. In this magazine might
be my second article in English: "ALSIB is just the tip of the
Iceberg".
Otis E. Hays wrout about my first article: "excellent". I hope
you know him and his book "Home from Siberia". His address:
                     Otis E. Hays, Jr.
                     Route 1, Box 464
                     Pierce City, MO 65723 USA

Several dozen of my articles were being published in Russian: in
central newspapers "Izvestiya", "Moskovsky Komsomolets", "Gudok",
"Vozdushny Transport", "Nevskoye Vremya" and magazines "Morskoy
Flot" and "Morskoy Zbornic", in newspapers of Vladivostok,
Khabarovsk, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Magadan.
     Three of my articles have been accepted for the
encyclopedical editions: by the Far Eastern State University in
Vladivostok and by Institute of the War History in Moscow.
Academic Oleg Reshevsky having read my article for "Navy
Historical Encyclopedia" ordered from me an article for
Historical collection where he is an editor. I sent him my
article some days ago.
     I made many radioprograms and some TV programs on our Far
East and some programs on the "Radio Rossii" and TV "Ostankino".
I used in my work materials from different Russian State and
Party archives, Economics Archives of Russian Federation, Foreign
Politics Archives of R. F., personal archives and remembrances of
participants of these events. I used American books what got open
now: "The roads to Russia. United States Lend-Lease to the Soviet
Union" by Robert H. Jones, "The Persian Corridor and Aid to
Russia" by T.H. Vail Motter, fragments from "Admiral Ambassador
to Russia" by William Standley, "The Forgotten War" by Stan
Cohen, "Home from Siberia" by Otis Hays and some articles; some
American books in translation: "Roosevelt and Hopkins" by Robert
Sherwood, "Roosvelt and Lend-Lease" by Robert Coacley, "Hellcats
at the Sea" and "Sink'em All" by Charles Lockwood and some other
materials either in English or in translation. And many of the
documentary, memorial and scientific books and articles in
Russian.
     There were two exibitions in the large libraries of
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky and Vladivostok. Its included some of my
articles, foto materials that I found, and some books that I
used. The exibition in Petropavlovsk was shown by TV "Ostankino"
in program "News". This program was prepared for the Day of 52
Anniversary of the Lend-Lease Agreement, but was shown almost a
month ago.
I made a big slide-film and some other things.
     I would like to write a book and to make a documentary. The
second project is urgent because fewer and fewer participants of
these events remain among us. But it is very expensive project.
Videofilm is not suitable for this theme.
     To realize these programmes I need to come to the United
States for gathering some materials in museums and some other
scientific organizations and also for meeting the following
people:
1. officers (or their families) who worked in the US Consulate in
Vladivostok, 1941-1945;
2. offices (or their families) who worked in the representation
for Lend-Lease in Vladivostok, 1941-1945;
3. peoples (or their families) who worked in the staff of the
American weather stations in Petropavlovsk and Khabarovsk at the
autumn 1945;
4. participants (or their families) of the naval building
expeditions from San Francisco to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky and
Khabarovsk;
5. American fliers who were interned in the Soviet Far East,
1942-1945. Otis Hays knows them. Michael R. Quinn, president NCA,
know one of the members of the crew of the bomber what set in
Primorye near settlement Unashi in 1942. Our meeting in
Khabarovsk was so short that I can not ask him the name of his
friend. Michael R. Quinn's address: 22320 Foothill Blvd., Ste 425
Hayward, California 94541 Telephone (510) 889-6647
Telecopier (510) 889-6655
6. the members of the crew of the submarine "Spadefish" what
torpeded the most big Soviet ship "Transbalt" at 13 June 1945 in
the Japan sea;
7. Veterans of the Coast Guard and Navy, officers and workers of
the ports of the western coast in war years, builders of the
ships type "Liberty", veterans of some studios of Hollywood, and
some other who remember large Russian Lend-Lease on the Pacific
ocean.
The Jubilee of the our joint Victory comes nearer.
     Some monthes ago Primorsky Fund of Culture took part in my
work. The Fund can receive an American representative in
Vladivostok in exchange for my visit to the United States as
culture change.
     I hope you help me to organaize necessary program for my
successful work in your country.
                              About me:
I was born in St.Peterburg in 1937, went through Leningrad
blocade, came at Kamchatka in 1963, worked advantageously in
seismology, am working in the Press from 1977. My English is not
well. I had only one reply for my many letters to the U.S.A. and
received it in strange circumstances. I hope e-mail will help me
to have your reply.

       Respectfully yours                          Alla Paperno
>From : Alla Paperno <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 21:15:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 9 AUG 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 9 AUGUST 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-6, North American Mustang
  Mosquito, deHavilland
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 24 fighter-bombers support ground
forces in the Taungni-Sahmaw area; several others unsuccessfully attack a
bridge N of Hopin and bomb the town of Tagwin. The 426th Night Fighter
Squadron, Tenth Air Force, arrives at Madhaiganj, India from the US with
P-61s (first mission is 21 Nov).

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 6 B-25s bomb a compound and vehicle
shed on the NE edge of Hengyang; 36 P-40s and P-51s attack trucks, gun
positions, and buildings at several points in the Hengyang-Siangtan area; 21
P-51s and P-40s knock out a pontoon bridge and hit junks and sampans at
Changsha, and attack rivercraft at points along the C Yangtze River.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 533: 824 bombers and 675
fighters are dispatched to strategic targets (aircraft and tank factories,
airfields and fuel depots) in SE Germany; weather deteriorated enroute and
many bombers were recalled when confronted with a front rising to 28,000-feet
(8,534 m) and most units attacked targets of opportunity; only 25 bombers hit
their primary (Sindelfingen); 18 bombers and 3 fighters are lost; targets
were (numbers in parenthesis indicate number of bombers bombing):
  1. Of 359 B-17s, 103 hit Pirmasens; 56 hit Elsenborn, 41 hit Karlsruhe, 30
hit Ulm, 8 hit Spreicher and marshalling yards at Saarbrucken (34) and
Luxembourg (29); they claim 1-1-1 Luftwaffe aircraft; 11 B-17s are lost, 1 is
damaged beyond repair and 157 damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 5 WIA and 96 MIA.
Escort is provided by 243 P-47s and P-52s; they claim 33-0-10 aircraft in the
air and 24-0-15 on the ground; 1 P-47 and 1 P-51 are lost (pilots are MIA); 2
P-47s and 5 P-51s are damaged beyond repair.
  2. Of 218 B-17s, 16 hit Aacen, 12 hit Eindhoven, 12 hit St Vith marshalling
yard and 7 hit targets of opportunity; 3 B-17s are lost, 1 is damaged beyond
repair and 94 are damaged; 5 airman are WIA and 18 MIA. Escort is provided by
162 P-47s and P-51s without loss.
  3. Of 247 B-24s, 147 hit Saarbrucken marshalling yard and 25 hit an
aircraft engine plant at Sindelfingen; 4 B-24s are lost, 2 are damaged beyond
repair and 126 damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 10 WIA and 39 MIA. Escort is
provided by 165 P-38s, P-47s and P-51s; they claim 6-0-4 aircraft; 1 P-38 is
lost (pilot is MIA).
  Mission 535: 3 of 4 B-17s fly a Micro H test mission against Aubigny,
France airstrip. Escort is provided by 16 P-38s without loss.
  Mission 536: 6 of 6 B-17s drop leaflets in France and the Netherlands
during the night.
  116 P-47s, escorted by 40 P-51s, are dispatched on fighter-bomber missions
against communications in France without loss.
  In England, HQ 325th Photographic Wing (Reconnaissance) is activated at
High Wycombe; and HQ 25th Bombardment Group (Reconnaissance) and 652d
Bombardment Squadron (Heavy, Weather Reconnaissance) with B-24s, the 653d
Bombardment Squadron (Light, Weather Reconnaissance) with B-24s and Mosquito
XVIs and 654th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy, Reconnaissance, Special) with
B-24s, B-26s and Mosquito XVIs are activated at Watton.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, close to 400 B-26s and
A-20s attack an ammunition dump in Foret de Blois, shipping at Brest, and
other targets, including rail bridges at 10 locations in N and W France;
fighters escort IX Bomber Command aircraft, cover ground forces, and fly
armed reconnaissance in the wide areas of N France (around Paris, as far S as
Orleans, and as far NE as Reims and Chalons-sur-Marne).

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Around 400 bombers, with
fighter escort, hit targets in Hungary and Yugoslavia; B-17s bomb an aircraft
assembly plant and a rolling stock plant at Gyor, Hungary and marshalling
yard and oil refinery at Brod, Yugoslavia; B-24s bomb 2 airfields and an oil
refinery at Budapest, Hungary.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bomber efforts
are restricted by bad weather; however, during the night of 8/9 Aug A-20s hit
targets along the coastal road from Nice, France to Genoa, and during the day
B-25s hit the railroad at Ventimiglia and B-26s attain excellent results on
the Bergamo/Orio al Serio Airfield; fighter-bombers sink a motor vessel in
Imperia harbor and attack railroad facilities in NW Italy; the detachment of
the 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, XII Tactical Air Command,
operating from Santa Maria with F-6s, returns to base at Borgo, Corsica.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s blast AA
positions in 3 different areas of Yap Island; other B-24s bomb airfields at
Boela, Ceram Island and at Liang, Ambon Island, Moluccas Islands. In New
Guinea, A-20s hit shipping facilities at Asap Island and bomb Nabire
Airfield; fighters strafe the villages S of Manokwari; B-25s bomb forces on
the N coast of Waigeo Island; A-20s and fighter-bombers hit troops at Dagua
and near Haur and bomb stores at Cape Moem and machine-guns at Cape Wom. HQ
380th Bombardment Group (Heavy) and 530th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) move
from Fenton to Darwin, Australia with B-24s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

09/0117Z AUG

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 22:11:08 -0400
From:    Emery Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Vladivostok Lend-Lease

Hello, everyone.
I'm going to excerpt another passage from A WORLD AT ARMS again.
Hopefully, you will enjoy it.  The significance of the Vladivostok route
was unknown to me until I read this book.

Emery
=============================================================================
        While about a fifth of the supplies sent by the northern route
ended up on the bottom of the ocean, the losses among cargoes sent to the
Persian Gulf for shipment to the Soviet Union via Iran were kept at 8 percent.
The problems on that route were the enormous distance, the need to build
adequate facilities in Iran, and the extra burden placed on the internal
Russian transportation system.  On this route, of course, the escorts
were all British and American as was almost all the shipping as well.
        The situation was the reverse on the third major route, that to
Vladivostock and other Soviet Pacific ports.  The Russians had few
merchant ships in the Pacific; the United States, therefore, began
transferring ships to the Soviet flag so that they could cross the
Pacific from the American Northwest to the Soviet Union without escort,
as the Japanese allowed Soviet ships to travel designated routes
unmolested.  In 1942, relatively few ships were available and the
American ports were crowded, but in 1943 vast quantities of food and
other supplies were shipped on this route.  In terms of volume, this was
by far the most important route for deliveries from the Western Allies
to the Soviet Union with about half going this way and less than a
quarter each by Murmansk and Iran.
        This development, not surprisingly, annoyed the Germans.  In the
very years that the Red Army was tearing the guts out of the German
army, a huge volume of supplies was flowing unhindered to the Soviet
Union under the noses of their Japanese allies.  As the volume of
shipments increased in 1943, the level and frequency of German protests
to the Japanese increased as well.  The latter, however, regardless of
their feelings on the subjects, believed very strongly that they could
not interfere with the shipments or refuse to recognize the transfer of
American ships to the Soviet merchant fleet without endangering their
own relations with the Soviet Union.  The converse of no Japanese
interference with American supplies to Russia seemed to them to be no
Soviet bases for American planes in the Soviet Far East.  Accordingly
they regularly turned aside the Germans' demands for action and
simultaneously pretended that the volume was really not as great as the
Germans correctly suspected and in any case included no war materials.
        On the few occasions when the Japanese detained Soviet vessels,
the repercussions were immediate.  The government of the Soviet Union,
with Molotov repeatedly intervening personally, insisted on the release
of the ships and let it be understood that any other action by Japan
would constitute a violation of the Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Treaty of
1941.  As an angry Molotov explained to the Japanese ambassador on
July 8, 1943:  "We are fighting a war and have to have stuff.  We have
lost some fine industrial and agricultural land and we must have food,
machinery, and raw materials, and we are not going to stand fo you
Japanese standing in our way of getting them."  Ambassador Sato Naotake
consistently and insistently urged his government to accede to the
Soviet demands and to refrain from ship seizures in the first place.
Japan in his view simply could not afford to antagonize the Soviet Union
in 1943 and 1944 and was in no position to argue about the legal status
of the reflagged American ships.  Tokyo gave in reluctantly but
comprehensively.
        It is in this context that the obvious alternative to shipping
must be mentioned.  Many of the airplanes destined for Britain were
being flown rather than shipped across the Atlantic; this was one of the
first highly important military missions that the United States
government entrusted to woman pilots in World War II.  Why not fly
planes to the Soviet Union via Alaska and Siberia?  If the Japanese did
not interfere with ships once reflagged to Soviet ownership, they would
be even less likely to interfere with airplanes once turned over to and
then flown by Russian crews.  The Japanese lacked not only the political
incentive -- stopping Russian planes flying from American airports was a
bit too close to inviting the flight of American planes from Russian
airports -- but they also lacked most of the means.  Here was a way to
move Lend-Lease without use of shipping and without danger from the
enemy (though some from the weather).

A WORLD AT ARMS by Gerhard Weinberg, pp.s 404 and 405

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 20:03:40 EDT
From:    Brian Nicklas <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Poem by John Magee- "High Flight"

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds--and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of--wheeled and soared and
    swung
High in the sunlit silence.  Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

- Sept 3, 1941 John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Magee died in a mid-air Dec 11, 1941.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 1994 23:32:06 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO:YAP ISLAND

After Truk became untenable, Yap was the major Japanese naval base in the
Central Pacific. Lying between Ulithi and Peleliu (the 50th anniversary is
coming up on 15 September--I was there), Yap was bypassed after Ulithi was
secured. Ben Frank

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 7 Aug 1994 to 8 Aug 1994
***********************************************