Subject: WWII-L Digest - 1 Aug 1994 to 2 Aug 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 1994 00:00:36 -0400

There are 32 messages totalling 1187 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Battle of Malta (6)
  2. INF: USN Chronology 08-02-94
  3. INF: 50 Years Ago - 03-AUG-1944
  4. Saltpeter (3)
  5. Malta
  6. RAF Training Command
  7. INF: Fessin' Up
  8. NOST: Shameless promotion
  9. INF: Periodicals
 10. USAAF ranks (2)
 11. Mislabeling the fake movie [was Fake Photographs] (2)
 12. Finland/Mea Culpa (was Warsaw Rising)
 13. WWII FLIGHT JACKETS (2)
 14. Third Reich Body doubles
 15. German 88mm AT cannon (2)
 16. JEWS - DISPLACED PERSONS, 1945-1948.
 17. Dirty Little Secrets
 18. HIST: JEWISH REPATRIATION IN POLAND (2)
 19. NOST: Another Shameless Plug
 20. [INF] USAAF 3 AUG 44

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 1994 21:05:39 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

Emmanuel...
        "Faith, Hope, and Charity" were rather something more than an
"rban legend".
        Quoting from THE SECOND GREAT WAR: A Standard History,
                by Sir John Hammerton
                Amalgamated Pres, London
                Volume 5

        "On May 8, 1942, Malta had its 2,300th air-raid, and few days later
Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur Longmore told for the first time some remarkable
facts about the early days of the island's battle with Axis raiders.
        It had been thought that the operation of any fighter defence from
Malta would be out of the question, because of the close proximity to Sicily.
There were no aircraft on the island when Italy entered the war, and Air Vice
Marshal Maynard and a small nucleus of RAF officers remained. Incensed by
Italian bombers cruising overhead, these officers searched the dockyards and
found some packing cases in which were parts of Gloster Gladiators.
        Four of these aircraft were assembled, and after a few practic flights,
the pilots took off on real business. They met with immediate success against
the next lot of Italians to fly over the island outpost..."

        Hammerton's THE SECOND GREAT WAR, Volume 6, mentions:
        "...The growth of the RAF in Malta was remarkable.When Italy entered
the war, there were said to be only three Gloucester Galdiators then available on the island.
        The aircraft were given by the Maltese the nicknames 'Faith', 'Hope',
        and 'Charity', and brought down several Italian planes...."

--

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 01:29:32 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 08-02-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
08/02 Wed.  United States naval vessel sunk:
             Destroyer escort FISKE (DE-143), by submarine torpedo,
              North Atlantic area,
              47 d. 11'N., 33 d. 29'W.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 06:53:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

 >The battle of Malta -- perhaps more properly a 'siege' -- lasted over two
 >years.
 >Air raids by Italian and german aircraft killed over 2500 people -- half of
 >them Maltese civilians, the rest British and Canadian servicemen.
 >A fair number of Canadian fighter-pilots served with RAF units there.
 >One became the best known -- George F. "Buzz" Buerling.
 >His rank was Sergeant Pilot when he arrived in Malta, June 9, 1942, having

<< MUCH DELETED >>

Question involving rank in the RAF and Commonwealth Air Forces during WWII.

I have read various books that mention pilots in the RAF and Commonwealth
Air Forces with the rank of Pilot Officer (USAAF 2nd Lieutenant) and
Sergeant Pilot.  What was the criteria for giving a pilot his rank;
education, how well he did in training, etc.?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 05:56:19 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 03-AUG-1944

On 03-AUG-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - Units of the VIII Corps (US 3rd Army) press on towards the
     west. The 8th Division attacks Rennes; while the 4th Armoured Division
     move on south of the city. The VII Corps (US 1st Army) takes Mortain.
     Further north, the XIX and V Corps advance southeast in the river Vire
     area. In the British sector, the 40th and 53rd Divisions (VII Corps) take
     positions on the road between Villers-Bocage and Caen.

Eastern Front - The 1st Ukraine Front crosses the Vistula at Sandomierz and
     establish a bridgehead over the river.

Marianas - On Guam, the 77th Infantry Division is advancing on the right
     flank and take Barrigada. The 3rd Marine Division moves ahead quickly on
     the left flank, occupying Finegayan and push on towards Tumon Bay. Mount
     Santa Rosa is shelled by navy ships.

New Guinea - In the Aitape sector, the Americans attack towards the Torricelli
     Mountains along the Niumen stream. The Japanese offensive actions around
     the village of Afua is dying down.

Burma/China - The Chinese 50th Division takes Myitkyina, capturing 187
     Japanese. The rest of the garrison has either escaped or been killed. The
     struggle in this area has cost the Chinese and Americans more than 6,500
     killed and wounded but is a very important victory for the Allies, since
     it reopens land communications between India and China. On the river
     Salween front, the Chinese 8th Army attacks Teng-chung and Sung Shan.

Foreign Affairs
---------------
King George Returns Home - King George VI has returned to England from a tour
     of the Italian battlefront.

The Homefront
-------------
Army Takes Over In Philadelphia - President Roosevelt has ordered the Army to
     take control of the Philadelphia Transportation Co. in a strike of 6,000
     workers which has tied up 900,000 war workers. CIO Transportation
     Workers Union officials disavow the strike and admit that they can no
     longer control the strikers.

Boxer Dies Of Ring Injuries - Lem Franklin, Negro heavyweight, died in a
     Newark, N.J. hospital of injuries received in the ring. He was knocked
     out July 24 in a bout with Larry Lane of Trenton, N.J.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  ([email-masked]/[email-masked])
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 09:04:06 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

On Tue, 2 Aug 1994, mc killop wrote:
> Question involving rank in the RAF and Commonwealth Air Forces during WWII.
> I have read various books that mention pilots in the RAF and Commonwealth
> Air Forces with the rank of Pilot Officer (USAAF 2nd Lieutenant) and
> Sergeant Pilot.  What was the criteria for giving a pilot his rank;
> education, how well he did in training, etc.?

Not to be too cynical, but judging by the situation in Burma in 1941=42,
the RAF commissioned gentlemen, and colonials were almost never
considered gentlemen.

Thus RAF 67 Squadron (Buffalo) in Rangoon consisted of a British squadron
leader and two British flight lieutenants and three British flying
officers (in US Army terms: major, capt, and 1st lt respectively).
Everyone below that rank was RNZAF and included six pilot officers (2nd
lt), with the rest being sergeants to a total of 15.

When RAF 17 Squadron (Hurricane) came in, its makeup was even more
interesting. Sq Ldr Stone was of course British, but Flt Lt Cotton was
RAAF. Of the pilot officers six were British and three were RCAF,
including an American named Thomas.

There were also two 2nd Lts of the South African Air Force--not Royal,
you'll notice! I assume that had something to do with the Afrikaan
population.

Of the sergeant pilots, three were British, one was RAAF, and six were
RCAF including three Americans: Gibson, Barrick, and Wisrodt. Barrick was
still alive a couple years ago but to my sorrow I have never been able to
contact him.

Okay, the figures don't entirely back up my thesis, but you get the idea.
The RAF in 1941-42 was still a gentleman's club, with the colonials
having the higher hurdle to get in.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 08:08:48 CDT
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Saltpeter

I'm in the middle of a conversation regarding saltpeter and possible use
by the military during the past 50 years by the military.  Does anybody
have anything that confirms or denies it other than stories like "I have
a friend who is a cook and he says.....".  For those of you not in the
know--saltpeter is supposed to dramatically reduce the sex drive of
males given it.  I'm looking for something that can be cited.

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 06:24:41 -0700
From:    Patrick Charles <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Malta

        The name of the Book is "To War in a Stringbag" by Charles Lamb.
I guess stringbag was the affectionate name for the Swordfish.

Patrick Charles
University of Washington
[email-masked]

> I also remember reading the autobiography of a former Swordfish pilot,
> named (If my memory does not fail) Lamb. Most of the book is about his
> experiences in the Atlantic, the Mediterranean, Greece, North Africa and a
> POW camp in French North-Africa, but there is also an interesting story
> about the time when he commanded a Swordfish unit on Malta. I don't
> remember the title, but anyway, it was a translation, and the *Dutch*
> title wouldn't help you much. Does someone know the book?
>
> Emmanuel Gustin
>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 09:30:33 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RAF Training Command

>        Maybe I have misunderstood this post.  The Empire Air Training
>Scheme was negotiated between Britain, Canada, Australia & New Zealand in
>Nov/Dec 1939. Although under clause XV of the Ottawa Agreement most
>Canadians went into RCAF squadrons rather than into RAF squadrons, the
>scheme was not 'doomed'.  It produced tens of thousands of aircrew for the
>allied cause.
>
Thank you Steve - My memory was foggy in that I could not remember if the
refusal of Mackenzie King to discuss the Empire Air Training Scheme occur
when first proposed in 1935 or 1939.  It was from 1935 till war actually
begun that the Canadian PM dismissed the plan.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 10:22:15 -0500
From:    "W.C. (RUSTY) DIVENS" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Saltpeter

>I'm in the middle of a conversation regarding saltpeter and possible use
>by the military during the past 50 years by the military.  Does anybody
>have anything that confirms or denies it other than stories like "I have
>a friend who is a cook and he says.....".  For those of you not in the
>know--saltpeter is supposed to dramatically reduce the sex drive of
>males given it.  I'm looking for something that can be cited.

Well Tim...

As a young 'un, I was mixing saltpeter, charcoal and sulfur in the
basement.  The resulting explosion nearly ended my sex drive for
good.  But I don't know if that counts in your survey...:^)

Bill (Rusty)
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 10:27:41 -0400
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Fessin' Up

        I received a few requests to post the German plans for the
invasion of Iceland but I cannot find the reference despite ransacking
my collecting of magazines.  I do remember lots of maps so it had to be
from "Command" but it may have been my friend's copy of the particular
issue.  Sorry I couldn't put up so I'll just shut up! :-)
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
This, gentlemen, is my counterpart, General Vogel.  When I look at his
face, I see a loser.  I'm sitting in his headquarters; I'm drinking his
wine; hell, I even have one of his broads hanging around here somewhere.
Yet you, gentlemen, have not buried him and I want to know why!

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 10:38:43 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: NOST: Shameless promotion

** News Release **

        Now that a tentative agreement has been reached between the
National Warplane Museum and the Historical Aircraft Group (details to
follow), all focus is on the 14th annual Wings of Eagles Airshow, August
20th and 21st.  This year's show, held in Batavia NY, will growl with
excitement and offer a long list of aircraft making their first appearance
at the Wings of Eagles Airshow.

        One of the highlights of this year's show will be the beauty and
power of the Grumman "Cat" flight from Kalamazoo, Michigan.  It will mark
the first time ever appearance at the show for a Hellcat, Tigercat, and
Bearcat.  Along with Kalamazoo's Wildcat, the Gruman F-14 Tomcat is
expected to round out the extensive display of naval fighter aircraft.

        Another first at this year's show will be the presence of the P-38
Lightning.  Far and away, the most requested aircraft every year at the
Wings of Eagle Airshow has been the P-38.  The sleek twin engine fighter is
sure to bring a smile to the face of all air show goers.

        As always, the show will provide spectators with an opportunity to
see the largest gathering of warbirds in the Northeast.  This years list
includes: B-17, B-24, Lancaster, B-25, A-26, P-51, P-47, F4U, AT-6, PT-19
and many, many more.  Current military participation includes another
first...the F-15 Eagle demonstartion, as well as the F-117, B-52, and a
C-141 paratrooper jump.  As in the past, parking is free in Batavia and
there will be plenty of food, beverage, and displays.

        Batavia is centrally located between Buffalo and Rochester on the
New York State Thruway.  The Batavia airport is just a mile north of the
Thruway.  For more information, contact the National Warplane Museum at
(716)243-0690.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 17:26:23 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Periodicals

        AIR International
        Key Publishing
        PO Box 100, Stamford, Lincs PE9 1XQ, England
        (PO Box 353, Whitestone, NY 11357, USA)

A magazine for both civil and military aviation.  Most of its contents is
about current affairs, but there usually is one article about a historical
aircraft, well researched and with a great two-page cutaway drawing.  At
least it used to be; recently there have been some issues without it, and
I have some fears that the editors are abandoning slowly the historical
part.  Examples:  January and February:  Boeing 307 / C-97 Stratoliner;
March:  Blackburn Buccaneer; April: IAR-37/38/39; May:  none; June:
Supermarine Seafire F.45, 46 and 47; July: none.  Contents of the 1994
issue:  Royal Jordanian Airlines; Wild Weasel Phantoms; Thrust vectoring
trio (F-16, F-18, X-31); Baltic revival (Baltic airlines); East Meets West
(about cooperation efforts); RAH-66 Comanche; Business Air (a smal
Scottish airline); Fighter radars for the '90s.  Fixed ingredients are a
overview of what happened last month (six pages), the Fighter A to Z
series, a 'Flying Colours' contribution on aircraft markings; and book
reviews.  AI used to be better before its owner changed, but still is very
good. Price is now 2.10 pounds.

        Aeroplane Monthly
        IPS Magazines
        King's Reach Tower, Stamford Street, London SE1 9LS
        Subscriptions: Quadrant Subscriptions Services
                       PO Box 272, Oakfield House, Perrymount Road,
                       West Sussex RH16 3FS

British monthly publication, dedicated almost exclusively to British
aviation history, with of course a part of WWII contributions.  Normally
has a dozen-and-a-half longer articles, and of course aircraft
preservation news, books, comments, and the other normal additions. The
articles in the August 1994 issue were:  "Shootdowns", about US aircraft
shot down by WarPac defenses during the Cold War; "Atlantic Airship" about
the Atlantic crossing by the airship R34; "Wapiti and Wallace", part of a
series about the history of these inter-war bomber aircraft; "Red Arrows
Ancestry" about the British aerobatic teams; "The Battle of Braking
Creek", a fatal friendly-fire incident in September 1939; "Air Brushes"
about aviation painting; "Islander and Trislander" in their series about
airliners; "Flying the Dream Machine" about the BAC Canberra; and in
series about "Sling's Sailplanes", the Slingsby T.20 in this issue. A
relatively high proportion of their articles are personal accounts; e.g.
the article about the Canberra was written by a former Canberra pilot, who
tells about his training.  This issue was 72 pages; price is 2.30 pound
(14.50DM, 5.95 C$, it does not have a price in US$ on the cover)

        Flypast
        Key Publishing
        PO Box 100, Stamford, Lincolnshire, PE9 1XQ, UK

A competitor to 'Aeroplane Monthly', the same size, the same subject, a little
bit higher priced (2.35 pounds, 5.95C$).  It uses a smaller print and packs
more publicity, making it less pleasant to read; articles are also shorter.
But still a good magazine.  It generally has more WWII content. In the
August 1994 issue:  "Something added!" about a mysterious twin-engined Halifax;
"We stay with the pilot...", about the heroic death of an USAF NCO, Archie
Mathies; "Nocturnal Predator", about the P-61 Black Widow; "Place of Honour", a
C-47 in a Hong Kong museum; "Hot Rod", the Grumman F8F Bearcat; "It beats a
rockery" about someone who has a Vulcan cockpit in his garden; "Weekend
Sortie", the Battle of Britain memorial flight; "U Bendum, We Mendum", a repair
organization for B-25s during WWII; "Interstate Cadet", about this liaison
aircraft; and finally "Seagull", about the Supermarine Seagull flying boat.

        Le Fana de l'Aviation
        Editions Lariviere
        DOCAVIA, 15-17 Quai de l'Oise, 75166 Paris Cedex 19, France

French magazine, dedicated to French aviation history.  In French, of course.
They very often publish long, well-researched multi-part articles.  Several
historic articles, and some WWII, some more recent; always a flight test of a
historic aircraft, very often a study of an aviation museum.  Aout (August)
1994:  "La Naisance difficile du Yakovlev Yak-1", the 12-page start of a
history of the WWII Yakovlev fighters; "Saint Exupery:  La mission inachevee",
about the death of writer and pilot A.  de Saint Exupery; "John Romain et le
Britsol Blenheim", flight test of the Blenheim Z-WM (G-BPIV); "Les Mirage IIIR
et RD", history of the the recce version of this jet fighter; "Nancy; une
collection fait-elle un musee", about the museum of Nancy; "Le Douglas X-3
Stilletto", last part on this research aircraft, in their long series about the
X-aircraft.  28FF, or 9.25 C$.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 10:45:47 -0700
From:    John Holtz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

Do not forget:

Bennett, Ralph Francis.  Ultra and Mediterranean Strategy. (1988).

jwh

--
John W. Holtz, Asst. Professor       INTERNET: [email-masked]
Sangamon State University Library       PHONE: (217) 786-6633
Springfield, IL  62794-9243

  > Opinions subject to change upon reflection or dissipation <

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 11:40:26 EDT
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: USAAF ranks

Jack's question about RAF pilot ratings reminded me about my friend
Bobby Dodd, who flew Mustangs with the 8th AF's 352nd FG.  I called
Bobby to confirm this before posting to the list.

Bobby graduated from pilot training in mid 1945 at Aloe Field in
Victoria, Texas.  He was given the rank of Flight Officer, which he
indicated was equivalent to a Warrant Officer.  He said that Flight
Officer ratings were a minority in his class, with most being
commissioned as 2nd Lts.  He was told at the time that the rank was
given to pilots considered to be too immature to be an officer.

He arrived in England and was assigned to the "Bluenosed Bastards
of Bodney", the 352nd FG, in July 1944.  He remained a Flight Officer
until October, when he was promoted to 2nd Lt.  Twenty-three days
later he was promoted to 1st Lt. in a bar by George Preddy, the
group's leading ace.  Preddy was his C.O., and was shot down and
killed by friendly fire on Christmas Day, 1944.  Bobby stayed with
the group until VE Day.

Bobby noted that Preddy didn't care much for the Flight Officer
rating.  Bobby also told me that the cap insignia for a F.O. was
a blue bar with rounded corners, edged with gold, and with a gold
stripe across the middle.  He said that he and the other Flight
Officers didn't care for the insignia and replaced them with Lt.'s
bars, and that no one had complained about that.

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 11:59:42 -0400
From:    "Eliot K. Friedman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Mislabeling the fake movie [was Fake Photographs]

Steve Baldwin wrote:

>> Another of these which comes to mind is the famous film sequence of
>> Hitler dancing a jig when the Nazis conquered France. In fact, a Canadian
>> film maker took a short clip of Hitler stamping his foot and ran it over
>> and over making him 'dance'. Cheers,
>> David Rising

> this is another interesting one that is put out on TV quite a lot.
> Funny...no-one ever says "the following clip is in fact a fake..."

I remember seeing a still taken from that clip in a "Weekly Reader" style
publication in my hebrew school class, back in the 1960's.  Only then, the
caption was, "Hitler dances with joy upon hearing how many Jews have been
killed".

I suppose nobody can pass up the chance to "improve" a photo op.  I'll
never forget that one.

El

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 12:11:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: USAAF ranks

Flight Officer was equivalent to a Warrant Officer.  I understood that
a pilot's initial rank, i.e., 2nd Lieutenant vs. Flight Officer depended
upon his standing in his graduating class but perhaps there were other
factors.

The insignia Dennis describes as the cap insignia, a blue bar with
rounded corners, edged with gold and with a gold stripe across the middle,
was the standard rank insignia for a Warrant Officer in all brances of the
US military during WWII and is still the insignia for US Army Warrant
Officer helicopter pilots.  In WWII there were two grades of warrant
officers; today there are four.  The USAF is the only branch of the military
that does not have warrant officers.

One final thing.  The famed bandleader Glenn Miller was lost in Dec 44
in a Noorduyn UC-64 Norseman while enroute from England to Paris.  The
pilot of that craft was a Flight Officer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 17:30:53 BST
From:    Stephen Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mislabeling the fake movie [was Fake Photographs]

>From @UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU:[email-masked] Tue Aug  2 17:18:52 1994
>Return-Path: <@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU:[email-masked]>
>Received: from UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu by netmgrs.co.uk (4.1/SMI-4.1)
>       id AA20368; Tue, 2 Aug 94 17:18:48 BST
>Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>Received: from UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU by UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu (IBM VM SMTP V2R2)
>   with BSMTP id 6140; Tue, 02 Aug 94 12:17:58 EDT
>Received: from UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (NJE origin LISTSERV@UBVM) by
> UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (LMail V1.2a/1.8a) with BSMTP id 7031; Tue,
> 2 Aug 1994 12:17:27 -0400
>Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 1994 11:59:42 -0400
>Reply-To: World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
>Sender: World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
>From: "Eliot K. Friedman" <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      Mislabeling the fake movie [was Fake Photographs]
>X-To:         [email-masked]
>To: Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>
>Status: R
>
>Steve Baldwin wrote:
>
>>> Another of these which comes to mind is the famous film sequence of
>>> Hitler dancing a jig when the Nazis conquered France. In fact, a Canadian
>>> film maker took a short clip of Hitler stamping his foot and ran it over
>>> and over making him 'dance'. Cheers,
>>> David Rising
>
>> this is another interesting one that is put out on TV quite a lot.
>> Funny...no-one ever says "the following clip is in fact a fake..."
>
>I remember seeing a still taken from that clip in a "Weekly Reader" style
>publication in my hebrew school class, back in the 1960's.  Only then, the
>caption was, "Hitler dances with joy upon hearing how many Jews have been
>killed".
>
>I suppose nobody can pass up the chance to "improve" a photo op.  I'll
>never forget that one.
>
>El
>
um, just for the sake of accuracy Eliot, t'was not me who
enlightened the list on the hitler jig - mine was from WWI...
That said, from my own naivity, I'm only just realising now how
misleading photographic/film evidence can be. This has been an
interesting thread....  There is this thing that the camera
never lies - well maybe it doesn't - but cameramen are only human too.
I s'pose that's why we have historians to sort out the fact from the
fiction.....(plus or minus their interpretations...:-;)

best regards
steve baldwin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 12:38:38 -0500
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Finland/Mea Culpa (was Warsaw Rising)

Oh, oh, big faux pas warning.  I just realized that in a previous post on
this topic I mistakenly identified the "Winter War" as 11/40--3/41.
It was, of course, 11/39--3/40...my only plea is brain dead.

Also, thanks to whoever pointed out that Finland also received some
Curtiss Hawk 75's after the Winter War (I was reading and deleting so fast
to catch up and clean out my files I forgot who posted that)...they were
French air force planes taken over by the Germans and passed on to Finland,
I think the exact number involved was 36 aircraft.  At least one British
Gloster Gladiator biplane also escaped to Finland from northern Norway
after that campaign, and was confiscated and used by the Finns.  Finally,
the Finns also developed their own fighter type, the VL "Myrsky" ("Storm").
It entered action in 1944 (ironically, seeing most use against the Germans
after the armistice with Russia), and was mostly relegated to the fighter-
bomber role because its performance was inferior to other types in Finnish
service by that time (primarily the Me-109G.

Regards and apologies

Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 10:25:36 -0600
From:    Debra Sweepe <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWII FLIGHT JACKETS

I am new to this list.  I've only been reading thus far and am
now venturing out to post.  What I have is a simple question.

My father was a ball turret gunner in WWII, eighth airforce,
401st bombardment group.  His 71st birthday is coming up and
I'd like to get him one of those flight jackets they use to
wear.  The ones with the emblem, that was displayed on their plane,
on the back.  The B17 his crew flew was Maggie.  Does  anyone
know where one of these jackets can be found/ordered????

If so, please respond to "[email-masked]".

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 18:22:10 +0000
From:    Gudmundur Helgason <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Saltpeter

>
> >I'm in the middle of a conversation regarding saltpeter and possible use
> >by the military during the past 50 years by the military.  Does anybody
> >have anything that confirms or denies it other than stories like "I have
> >a friend who is a cook and he says.....".  For those of you not in the
> >know--saltpeter is supposed to dramatically reduce the sex drive of
> >males given it.  I'm looking for something that can be cited.
>
> Well Tim...
>
> As a young 'un, I was mixing saltpeter, charcoal and sulfur in the
> basement.  The resulting explosion nearly ended my sex drive for
> good.  But I don't know if that counts in your survey...:^)
>
> Bill (Rusty)
> [email-masked]
>
I dont know about you but this one saved my day :) Hillarious.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 18:28:29 +0000
From:    Gudmundur Helgason <[email-masked]>
Subject: Third Reich Body doubles

Hey all chaps! :)

I am in the process of reading so-far-excellent Greg Iles' Spandau
Phoenix. In it he uses the Hess double as the centerpiece. Also he talks
about some training camp built and supervised by Reinhard Heydrich which
sole purpose was to train Reich's top figures body doubles. As he has it
they body doubles lives ceased to exist from the moment they entered the
camp *not voluntarily os course :)*.

So. Any truth to this?

And yes I *know* this book is a fiction but real life is usually more
unbelieveable than fiction :)

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 18:34:03 +0000
From:    Gudmundur Helgason <[email-masked]>
Subject: German 88mm AT cannon

Hey all

I am looking for a rather odd info on the excellent 88mm AT cannon. I
know it had a 12-man crew and was about 11tons. BUT, could it be stripped
and transported via airplane or even dropped in a parachute during
airborne operations?

Does anyone have info on this and maybe how long it took to disassemble
the weapon?

Also, did it suffice as a sole defence perimeter against a tank assault?
I mean did it fire fast enough to discourage tank commanders from
attacking several of them if well placed (like in a small town)?

Any info would be great.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 20:58:32 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

On Mon, 1 Aug 1994, Sidney Allinson wrote:

> Emmanuel...
>         "Faith, Hope, and Charity" were rather something more than an
> "rban legend".

>         "On May 8, 1942, Malta had its 2,300th air-raid, and few days later
> Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur Longmore told for the first time some remarkable
> facts about the early days of the island's battle with Axis raiders.
>         It had been thought that the operation of any fighter defence from
> Malta would be out of the question, because of the close proximity to Sicily.
> There were no aircraft on the island when Italy entered the war, and Air Vice
> Marshal Maynard and a small nucleus of RAF officers remained. Incensed by
> Italian bombers cruising overhead, these officers searched the dockyards and
> found some packing cases in which were parts of Gloster Gladiators.
>         Four of these aircraft were assembled, and after a few practic flights,
> the pilots took off on real business. They met with immediate success against
> the next lot of Italians to fly over the island outpost..."
>
>         Hammerton's THE SECOND GREAT WAR, Volume 6, mentions:
>         "...The growth of the RAF in Malta was remarkable.When Italy entered
> the war, there were said to be only three Gloucester Galdiators then available on the island.
>         The aircraft were given by the Maltese the nicknames 'Faith', 'Hope',
>         and 'Charity', and brought down several Italian planes...."

The best answer to a quote is perhaps another quote. In Aeroplane Montly,
May 1992, Owen Thetford writes:

"No account of the Gladiator would be complete without mention of
the defence of Malta during the dark days of June 1940. Much has
been written about this, usually in the mistaken belief that three
aircraft named Faith, Hope and Charity were solely responsible. In
fact, no such names were ever used and the fighters in action against
the Italian raiders were seven Sea Gladiators (with arrester gear
removed) taken over by the RAF from Royal Navy stocks at Kalafrana.
Eight more aircraft, in reserve, were drawn upon for spares by the
hard-pressed ground maintenance personnel. Details are appended below.
At least two of the Sea Gladiators were adapted to take a non-standard
Mercury engine removed from a Blenheim, complete with a variable-pitch
propeller and armour plate."

Serials of the aircraft used by the Hal Far Fighter Flight: N5519,
5520, 5523, 5524, 5528, 5529, 5531. Assigned as spares: N5518, 5521,
5522, 5525, 5527, 5528 and 5530.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 23:22:07 +0300
From:    itzhaki hadassah <[email-masked]>
Subject: JEWS - DISPLACED PERSONS, 1945-1948.

     Searching for articles from "Washington Post" daily, during the
years 1945-1948, about: Jewish Refugees & D.P.s.  At least the Index for
those years.

      Looking for USA soldiers who served in Germany during the years
1945-1948 in D.P. camps and have information about the treatement  and
care Jews got in those camps.

        Thanks,
HADASSAH ITZHAKI
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 15:36:22 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Dirty Little Secrets

FYI-
Because of the recent discussion of a German plan for economic warfare
against the Allies, the review in PUBLISHERS WEEKLY for the following
book caught my eye.  The reviewer specifically mentions that campaign.
The book is: Dunnigan and Nofi, DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS OF WORLD WAR II:
MILITARY INFORMATION NO ONE TOLD YOU ABOUT THE GREATEST, MOST TERRIBLE
WAR IN HISTORY.  Publisher is Morrow and cost is $25.00.  Publication
date is September 1994.
Tim J. Watts

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 16:44:04 -0400
From:    Emery Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: HIST: JEWISH REPATRIATION IN POLAND

Hello folks!

I just read about Jews being repatriated to Poland after WWII, of which I can't
imagine there were many, being subjected to pogroms by the locals.  Has
anyone else heard of this?  This seems to me nothing less than incredible.
Did the Poles blame the Jews for the horrors inflicted upon their state?  Or
was it somehow inspired by the Communists?

Thanks,
        Emery

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 15:49:51 CDT
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII FLIGHT JACKETS

The cheapest way to get a good one is to join the 8th AF historical
society and buy one from them--they are in the $180 range--you'll pay
more for a correct one, and all the others in that price range anre the
current USAF type, or an unresonable facsimle of them.  TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 16:14:31 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: NOST: Another Shameless Plug

(Sorry Ron, your posting reminded me that I better get my own plug out
pretty quick since the weekend is rapidly approaching...  :-)

[BTW: A hopeful large portion of the proceeds from this show will be used
to restore the (flying) PBY Catalina to military configuration and make
the P-51C (one of four) fly (with a red tail, commemorating the Tuskegee
Airmen)].

17TH ANNUAL WWII AIR POWER DISPLAY
St. Paul Downtown Airport (Holman Field)

Friday-Sunday, August 5, 6 and 7
Gates open at 9:00 a.m.

Donation: $7.00 adults, $2.00 children 12 and under.  Toddlers free.
Parking and shuttle busses free.

For more information: 612/455-6942

The Southern Minnesota Wing of the Confederate Air Force is holding the
17th Annual WWII Air Power Display this weekend at St. Paul Downtown
Airport.  This annual fund raiser supports the organizations restoration,
preservation and educational programs.

All donations to the CAF are tax-deductible.

This year's show will feature nearly three dozen aircraft including:

        B-17 Flying Fortress    PBY Catalina            P-51 Mustang
        B-25 Mitchell           P-47 Thunderbolt        P-38 Lightning
        F4U Corsair             F6F Hellcat             YAK-11
        Spitfire                PT-17 Stearman          TBM Avenger
        Hawker Sea Fury         AT-6 Texan              BT-13 Valiant
        L-5 Sentinel            L-17 Navion             Harvark Mk IV
        T-34 Mentor             T-28                    OV-10 Bronco
        Bell Cobra              T-37 "Tweety Bird"      C-21
        Skyraider               UF-1 Albatross          Strikemaster
        C-123                   ... more ...

The show will also feature displays on the Twin Cities homefront of WWII.
Many companies in the Twin Cities supported the efforts with products and
production back home.  Some of the local companies built sub chaser boats
on the Mississippi.  Honeywell built autopilots.  Buckbee-Mears made bomb
sight cross hairs.  Hormel created a meat product that did not require
refigeration: The birth of SPAM.  Villaume industries built more than
1,500 gliders for D-Day.  Many additional companies will be displaying
historical photos and artifacts.

We will also be recording the names and addresses of all who attend the show
who worked on the homefront during WWII and help reunite them with other
people they may have worked with or lost contact with over the years.

Also on display will be vehicles of the era, precisions drill team
demonstrations by the St. Thomas Academy crack drill team, "living history"
demonstrations of complete uniforms and their functions and book signings
of newly released titles including "Love at First Flight" by Liz Strohfus --
the personal recollections of a WWII WASP pilot.

More information can be found in the Sunday, July 31st St. Paul Pioneer
Press (Tabloid insert), July 31st Minneapolis Star Tribune (page 1A) or
by calling 612/455-6942.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 14:55:17 -0700
From:    Jim Curry <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battle of Malta

The title of this book is _To War in a Stringbag_ (Bantam Books,1984)
or _War in a Stringbag_ (British or Canadian editions).
Jim Curry

On Tue, 2 Aug 1994, Emmanuel Gustin wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Aug 1994, Ian Wingfield wrote:
>
> > When I was in my early teens I read a book called "Faith, Hope and
> > Charity". It was about the 3 biplanes, that is what they were named, that
> > defended Malta in the air in the early part of the war. These three
> > biplanes took on the Italian airforce over Malta. I found it a very
> > interesting book then and this discussion has reminded me of it.
>
> In that case, it was not a very reliable source, because (spreading this
> to the net for the third of fourth time) that story is a myth. It is true
> that the Hal Far Fighter Flight did use a number of Sea Gladiators. There
> were more than three, however, and no such names were ever used.  The
> history of the Gloster Gladiator is told in Aeroplane Monthly, April and
> May 1992 issues. The article includes a short discussion of the use of
> Gladiators on Malta.
>
> I certainly would like to know who created this indestructible urban
> legend?
>
> Concerning Malta: the story of the convoys that carried Spitfires to Malta
> was told in AIR International, September 1992 issue.
>
> I also remember reading the autobiography of a former Swordfish pilot,
> named (If my memory does not fail) Lamb. Most of the book is about his
> experiences in the Atlantic, the Mediterranean, Greece, North Africa and a
> POW camp in French North-Africa, but there is also an interesting story
> about the time when he commanded a Swordfish unit on Malta. I don't
> remember the title, but anyway, it was a translation, and the *Dutch*
> title wouldn't help you much. Does someone know the book?
>
> Emmanuel Gustin
>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 18:06:47 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German 88mm AT cannon

On Tue, 2 Aug 1994, Gudmundur Helgason wrote:
> Also, did it suffice as a sole defence perimeter against a tank assault?
> I mean did it fire fast enough to discourage tank commanders from
> attacking several of them if well placed (like in a small town)?

In North Africa, Rommell placed his 88s (some of them mounted on chassis,
including captured British) as his first line of defense, so his
defensive battles were British tanks v. German 88s, with German tanks
held back in reserve.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 21:09:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 3 AUG 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 3 AUGUST 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, B-25s bomb Wanling, knock out a
bridge at Panghkam, and attack bridges along the railroad from Naba to
Myitkyina; P-51s and P-47s support ground forces N of Taungni and near
Sahmaw, hit the towns of Shwegu and Mosit, attack the factory area at
Mohnyin, and pound boats, troop concentrations, and gun positions at
Myitkyina and Maingna.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 23 B-24s bomb the town of Yoyang;
6 B-25s hit Mangshih; nearly 150 P-40s, P-51s, and P-38s on armed
reconnaissance attack targets of opportunity, including airfields, troops,
town areas, supply areas, and rail, road, and river traffic at numerous
locations, including the areas of Tengchung, Tingka, Mangshih, Loyang,
Changsha, Hengyang, Tangyang, Chingmen, Chaling, Siangyin, Nanchang,
Siangtan, Hengshan, Chuchou, Ikiawan, and Leiyang.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Two missions are flown.
  Mission 512: 672 bombers and 352 fighters are dispatched to hit rail and
other targets in the French/German border area and oil dumps and bridges SE
of Paris; 6 bombers and 6 fighters are lost:
  1. Of 345 B-17s, 106 hit the Merkwille Oil Refinery, 68 hit Strasbourg
marshalling yard, 62 hit Saarbrucken marshalling yard, 54 hit Mulhouse
marshalling yard, 16 hit Toul/Croix de Metz Airfield, 11 hit a railroad near
Saarbrucken and 6 hit targets of opportunity; they claim 4-1-1 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 6 B-17s are lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 98 damaged; 9 airmen
are KIA, 9 WIA and 54 MIA. Escort is provided by 175 of 200 P-51s; they claim
6-0-0 aircraft in the air and 5-0-1 on the ground; 6 P-51s are lost (pilots
are MIA).
  2. Of 155 B-17s, 38 hit Troyes Bridge and 36 hit Joigny/La Roche Bridge; 11
B-17s are damaged. Escort is provided by 96 of 103 P-51s.
  3. Of 172 B-24s, 27 hit Conches Airfield, 12 hit Melun marshalling yard, 11
hit Etampes Mondesir Airfield and 3 hit targets of opportunity; 51 B-24s are
damaged. Escort is provided by 47 P-47s.
  Mission 513: 482 bombers and 178 fighters are dispatched to oil
installations and dumps in the Brussels, Paris and Lille areas and CROSSBOW
(V-weapon) sites in the Pas de Calais; 2 bombers are lost:
  1. 112 of 126 B-17s and 117 of 121 B-24s hit V-weapon sites in the Pas de
Calais; 1 B-24 is lost; 6 B-17s and 20 B-24s are damaged. Escort is provided
by 43 of 46 P-51s.
  2. Of 76 B-24s, 62 hit Brussels/Vivorde, 10 hit Ghent/Terneuzen and 1 hits
a target of opportunity; 1 B-24 is damaged beyond repair and 49 damaged; 2
airmen are KIA. Escort is provided by 33 of 36 P-47s.
  3. Of 159 B-24s, 49 hit Harnes, 28 hit Courchelettes, 22 hit Pas de Calais
V-weapons sites, 10 hit Lille/Marquette, 10 hit Lille/Sequedin and 8 hit Ghent
marshalling yard; 1 B-24 is lost, 3 damaged beyond repair and 38 damaged; 4
airmen are KIA, 4 WIA and 10 MIA. Escort is provided by 90 of 96 P-51s.
  133 P-38s and P-47s fly fighter-bomber missions against rail traffic in the
Metz-Strasbourg-Saarbrucken area; they claim 1-0-0 aircraft in the air and
1-0-0 on the ground; 1 P-47 is lost.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, 180+ A-20s and B-26s bomb
rail bridges, overpasses, and junctions at Mantes-la-Jolie, Chartres, La
Chenaie and Merey, fuel dump at Maintenon, and alternate rail targets in N
France; fighters escort IX Bomber Command bombers and a few C-47s, provide
cover for ground forces, and fly armed reconnaissance over wide areas of N
and W France; and the 22d and 23d Fighter Squadrons, 36th Fighter Group, move
from Kingsnorth, England to Brucheville with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 600+ bombers hit targets in
Germany; B-17s and B-24s hit industry in the Friedrichshafen area, including
chemical works, fabric works, and 2 aircraft factories; B-24s also bomb
communications targets in the Brenner Pass area, attacking Avisio viaduct and
bridges at Ora and San Michele all'Adige; fighters fly about 300 sorties in
support; the bombers and fighters claim 18 enemy aircraft shot down; 11 AAF
airplanes are destroyed.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers achieve
fair results in attacks on bridges at Gilette, Levens, Lesegno, Albenga, and
Asti, and at 2 locations along the Var River; fighter-bombers have a
successful day against communications targets (mainly road and railroad
bridges) and airfields in N Italy; at least 15 bridges are damaged or
demolished and several parked aircraft are destroyed.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): HQ VII Air Service Area Command
is activated. B-24s from the Marshall Islands pound Truk Atoll, Caroline
Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s bomb Yap
Island and islands in the Woleai Atoll group; an ammunition dump and oil
derrick at Boela, Ceram Island, Moluccas Islands, are also destroyed. In New
Guinea, bad weather cancels scheduled strikes over the Vogelkop Peninsula
area; however, B-25s hit troop concentrations at Bira and other points on
MacCluer Gulf, bomb Urarom, and support Allied ground forces on Biak Island
by hitting troops in the Korim Bay area; supply dumps, communications
targets, and bridges are hit as fighter-bombers and A-20s continue to blast
areas around But, Dagua, and Wewak.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

03/0111Z AUG

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 1994 21:41:15 -0400
From:    Emery Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HIST: JEWISH REPATRIATION IN POLAND

Hi everyone,

I wrote the following earlier, from a couple of passages I read in
_A_WORLD_AT_ARMS_ by Gerhard Weinberg:
>
>I just read about Jews being repatriated to Poland after WWII, of which I can'
t
>imagine there were many, being subjected to pogroms by the locals.  Has
>anyone else heard of this?  This seems to me nothing less than incredible.
>Did the Poles blame the Jews for the horrors inflicted upon their state?  Or
>was it somehow inspired by the Communists?
>
Here is the passage, I included the entire paragraph to provide some
context,  and citation used by Weinberg in describing the refugee crisis in
the aftermath of the German surrender:

        The most obvious and striking aspect of the situation in Europe,
however, was the general misery.  There was destruction and hunger
everywhere.  Millions had been uprooted from their homes; many could not
or believed they could not go back.  The new term "Displaced Person" or
DP was added to the vocabulary, and the immediate post-hostilities
situation such as the expulsions from the German territories
administered by Poland and the Soviet Union and from Czechoslovakia
added to the numbers.  Soon anti-Semitic riots in Poland convinced those
Jews who had survived and attempted to return home that this would be
impossible for them, so they too streamed into the DP camps in the
western zones of occupation.  [Footnote here]  The United National
Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) under Herbert Lehmann
had been set up at Roosevelt's initiative to cope with these problems;
it worked hard at the enormous task, but there was enough misery to
daunt even as dedicated a humanitarian as the former governor of New
York.

_A_WORLD_AT_ARMS_, pp. 835

The reference cited for the footnote is Ziemke, _THE_US_ARMY_, pp. 416

Does anyone have this book perchance?

Emery

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 1 Aug 1994 to 2 Aug 1994
***********************************************