Subject: WWII-L Digest - 12 Aug 1994 to 13 Aug 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 1994 00:01:03 -0400

There are 7 messages totalling 303 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INF: USN Chronology 08-13-94
  2. WOMEN IN JAPANESE
  3. WEAP: British Naval Aircraft (was Seafire)
  4. To Moscow for the 50th? (2)
  5. BOOK:  Cobras Over the Tundra
  6. [INF] USAAF 14 AUG 44

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Aug 1994 04:21:49 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 08-13-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
08/13 Sun.  United States naval vessel sunk:
             Submarine FLIER (SS-250), by external explosion, Balabac
              Strait, North Borneo.
            Japanese naval vessel sunk:
             Submarine chaser No. 12, by submarine BLUEGILL (SS-242),
              Philippine Islands area,
              06 d. 17'N., 126 d. 09'E.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Aug 1994 08:28:16 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WOMEN IN JAPANESE

You are absolutely correct. The Thirty-second Army on Okinawa conscripted a
home guard of native Okinawans called the boetai (sp) who were poorly armed and
hardly trained and caused them to go into combat with the Tenth Army, and their
losses were great, as were the losses of Okinawan civilians who were in the
path of the battle. It might be mentioned that the Okinawans were not
particularly enamored of the Japanese, whom they considered as occupiers, for
although Okinawa was a province of greater Japan, it had its own culture, etc.
It is estimated the 100,000 Okinawans lost their lives in the battle, many of
whom were sealed up in caves that the American forces suspected were holding
Japanese soldiers. Whenever a cave was discovered holding civilians, the
Marines and army troops just about threw down their weapons to help evacuate
these civilians to safety in the rear. I was there and I saw it. Needless to
say, the Okinawans were in dread fear of rape and losing their lives to these
American "devils," which Japanese propaganda had painted us as being. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Aug 1994 09:49:46 EDT
From:    Robert E George <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: British Naval Aircraft (was Seafire)

     Correlli Barnett in "Engage the Enemy More Closely" points out
that the Fleet Air Arm (the Royal Navy's 'air force') was very underdeveloped
because of the control that the RAF exerted prior to 1937. The RAF thought
in terms of strategic bombardment, and so gave carrier-based aviation
short shrift. I can't recall the particulars, but the RAF had responsibility
for some procurement aspects for carrier a/c prior to 1937.
 Hence, by 1939 the FAA's a/c were a distant third in quality
behind those of the U.S.N. and I.J.N.

     Nor was it merely a matter of weak carrier-based aviation: in general,
British air resources were focused on bombing and home defence rather
than maritime aviation, which caused even land-based maritime aviation
(e.g., Coastal Command) to suffer.

     Barnett makes the point that some of the air-minded younger RN officers
at the end of the 1st World War opted to go to the RAF. This deprived
the RN of some of its air enthusiasts, with unfortunate consequences.

     I tend to think that British maritime aviation never got the resources
it deserved: even during the Battle of the Atlantic Coastal Command had
to fight tooth-and-nail for the long-range a/c earmarked for Bomber Command.

     Rob George
     [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Aug 1994 06:51:51 -0700
From:    Eric Fenster <[email-masked]>
Subject: To Moscow for the 50th?

As you may know, I organize travel courses to study Russia's
political and economic situation.

I am now starting to plan for 1995. I am thinking about doing
a three-week course beginning early in May so that we would be
in Moscow during commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the
end of WW2.  While most of the rest of the time would, as usual,
deal with Russia's contemporary situation, there would be stress
on the historical aspect during part of the stay and, I expect,
appropriate contacts with veterans.

I would like to know how much interest there might be among you and
your friends and associates in participating in such a program.

Thanks,
Eric        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Aug 1994 19:00:04 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: BOOK:  Cobras Over the Tundra

Has anyone heard anything about the book COBRAS OVER THE TUNDRA.
According to my information it was published by Arktika Publishers in
Fairbanks, but I can find no other information.  None of the libraries
I have access to have it, and it is not listed in BOOKS IN PRINT.

Any help?

Thanks..

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my second | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   extended stay in Prague.       |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  | Working on second book about     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic  |    economic, social, political     |
  |   and a book about the B-25      |    problems and opportunities.     |
  |   in WWII.                       | B-25 in WWII.                      |
  | E-Mail:                          | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |   USA:  [email-masked]    | Stamp collecting.                  |
  =========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Aug 1994 20:16:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 14 AUG 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 14 AUGUST 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  Beaufighter, Bristol
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  Mosquito, deHavilland
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, B-25s bomb Mohnyin and Indaw; 18
P-51s pound targets in the Myothit area; 46 other fighter-bombers hit various
N Burma targets including Naba junction, the active area near Pinbaw, a
building and targets of opportunity at Thaikwagon, a command post at Hopin,
a motor pool at Nansiaung Forest, ammunition and other supplies in the
Mohnyin area, and bridges S of Bhamo one of which is slightly damaged; and
the 2d Troop Carrier Squadron, 443d Troop Carrier Group, moves from Dinjan,
India to Shingbwiyang with C-47s.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 24 B-25s blast Lungling while 16
P-40s hit a fortified pass and targets of opportunity to the S; 12 B-25s bomb
the railroad yards at Siangtan; 31 P-40s and P-51s hit the railroad yards,
river shipping, and general targets of opportunity at Hengyang; 13 P-40s
attack Tengchung; 13 others hit trucks, troops, and rivercraft at Pailochi
and Sinying and 4 bomb a bridge at Hsenwi.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 552: 1,183 bombers and 429
fighters are dispatched to attack 9 airfields, 2 aero engine factories, 1 oil
plant, 2 bridges, 2 rail junctions and other secondary and targets of
opportunity in SW Germany, E France, and the Bordeaux, France region; 2
bombers and 1 fighter are lost (numbers in parenthesis indicate number of
bombers attacking the target):
  1. Of 376 B-24s dispatched to France, the following airfields are hit:
Lyon/Bron (108), Dijon/Longvi (83) and Dole/Evaux (70); bridges hit are at
Anizy (46) and Fismes (34); and 12 B-24s hit Liart rail junction and 1 hits a
target of opportunity; 1 B-24 is damaged beyond repair and 32 are damaged; 2
airmen are WIA. Escort is provided by 92 P-47s and P-51s without loss.
  2. 77 B-24s are dispatched to hit French rail junctions at Saintes (38) and
Angouleme (38) without loss. Escort is provided by 40 of 42 P-51s without
loss.
  3. 349 B-17s dispatched to Germany hit Ludwigshafen (144), Mannheim (110)
and Mannheim/Sandhofen Airfield (72); 4 others hit targets of opportunity; 2
B-17s are lost and 232 damaged; 8 airmen are WIA and 18 MIA. Escort is
provided by 88 of 99 P-51s without loss.
  4. 381 B-17s dispatched to Germany hit airfields at Hagenau (92), Metz/
Frascaty (72), Florennes (24) and Chievres (9); and Stuttgart/Echterdingen
(72), Kaisereslautern (46), Sindelfingen (12), Trier (10) and targets of
opportunity (16); 20 B-17s are damaged. Escort is provided by 168 of 193
P-51s; they claim 10-0-11 Luftwaffe aircraft; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot is MIA).
  Mission 553: 6 of 6 B-17s drop leaflets in France during the night; they
claim 1-0-0 Luftwaffe aircraft. 37 B-24s fly CARPETBAGGER missions in France;
1 B-24 is lost.
  136 P-38s and P-47s fly fighter-bomber missions in the Paris area; they
claim 3-0-0 aircraft; 1 P-38 and 2 P-47s are lost, 1 P-47 is damaged beyond
repair and 2 P-47s are damaged; 2 pilots are MIA.
  The 36th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), VIII Air Force Composite Command,
moves from Harrington to Cheddington, England with B-24s; the squadron will
convert from CARPETBAGGER to ECM missions over Europe.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, A-20s and B-26s with
fighter escort hit several highway and rail bridges, junctions and sidings
mostly beyond the battlelines to delay and complicate the German retreat;
fighters fly armed reconnaissance over the Falaise, Broglie, and Chartres
areas, and support ground forces, especially 7 armored and infantry divisions,
over wide areas of N and W France; a XIX Tactical Air Command squadron
uniquely effects the surrender of a number of German ground troops, Germans
on roads being strafed by the squadron NE of Carrouges wave white flags,
whereupon the planes buzz the road and shepherd the enemy troops into a
column which then proceeds to US lines to surrender; HQ 358th Fighter Group
and the 365th, 366th and 367th Fighter Squadrons move from Cretteville to
Pontorson with P-47s; HQ 367th Fighter Group moves from Beuzeville to
Cricqueville; and the 355th Fighter Squadron, 354th Fighter Group, moves from
Cricqueville to Gael with P-51s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 540 B-24s and B-17s bomb gun
positions in the Toulon, France and Genoa, Italy areas as the Operation
DRAGOON convoy heads for the French Mediterranean coast; 145 P-38s and P-51s
strafe radar installations at several coastal points.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In France, medium bombers hit
coastal defenses while fighter-bombers pound various gun positions, tracks,
enemy HQ, and targets of opportunity in the Toulon-Nice area; fighters strafe
radar installations and targets of opportunity along the S coast as Operation
DRAGOON forces approach. In Italy during the night of 13/14 Aug, A-20s hit
targets of opportunity in the W Po Valley and a fuel dump N of the battle
area; and the 416th Night Fighter Squadron, 62d Fighter Wing, based at
Pomigliano with Beaufighters and Mosquitos, sends detachments to operate from
Alghero, Sicily and Borgo, Corsica.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): The Seventh Air Force is
reorganized as a "mobile tactical airforce" retaining only units that will
function in the combat area; the VII Bomber Command includes the 11th, 30th
and 494th Bombardment Groups (Heavy), and the 41st Bombardment Group
(Medium); the VII Fighter Command includes the 15th, 21st (in Hawaii) and
318th Fighter Groups and the 6th Night Fighter Squadron; the recently
activated VII Air Service Area Command is composed of 4 service groups; and
the 9th Troop Carrier and 28th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadrons assigned
directly to HQ Seventh Air Force.
  Saipan-based B-24s bomb Iwo Jima Island and B-25s hit Pagan Island and
P-47s hit Rota Island. From the Marshall Islands, B-25s hit Ponape Island and
B-24s bomb Wotje Atoll.
  HQ VII Bomber Command moves from Kwajalein Atoll to Saipan Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-25s and B-24s
attack Ternate Island, Moluccas Islands, AA positions, oil dumps, barracks,
supply areas, and other targets throughout the Halmahera Islands. In New
Guinea, B-24s pound the airfield at Babo while A-20s and fighter-bombers,
along with Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) aircraft, blasting bivouac, and
troops at Terabu, Kaiten, and Wewak Point; and the 33d Bombardment Squadron
(Heavy), 22d Bombardment Group (Heavy), moves from Nadzab to Owi, Schouten
Islands with B-24s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

14/0018Z AUG

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Aug 1994 21:36:27 EDT
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: To Moscow for the 50th?

HI Eric,
You have a great idea. There will certainly be commemorations on the 9th of
May. I am trying to get the specific schedule from the Russian military now.
I have been told that the Russian Navy will also be having a special event on
that day in St. Petersburg area.  Since they will also be commemorating the
300 anniversary of the founding of the Russian Navy next year, we know there
will be special opportunitites for naval meetings and visits etc.  Have been
offered special tours in the Severomorsk, Arkhangel, Murmansk region and to
Sevastopol - Balaklava as well.
best
john sloan

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 12 Aug 1994 to 13 Aug 1994
*************************************************