Subject: WWII-L Digest - 17 Aug 1994 to 18 Aug 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 1994 00:00:52 -0400

There are 20 messages totalling 649 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INF: USN Chronology 08-18-94
  2. JAPAN PONDERS THE (5)
  3. Re[2]: German squad vs....
  4. JAPAN PONDERS THE WAR (4)
  5. MESSAGE TO DOUG DONNELL
  6. WEAP: P-39 & Air War in China (3)
  7. Cobras over the Tundra
  8. INF: 50 Years Ago - 19-AUG-1944
  9. Request for stories, personnel info
 10. Wings of Eagle Airshow
 11. [INF] USAAF 19 AUG 44

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 01:36:53 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 08-18-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
08/18 Fri.  United States naval vessel damaged:
             Amphibious force flagship CATOCTIN (AGC-5), by horizontal
              bomber, Southern France area,
              43 d. 17' N., 06 d. 38'E.
            Japanese naval vessel sunk:
             Escort carrier ORAKA, by submarine RASHER (SS-269), off
              northwestern Luzon, P. I.,
              18 d. 16'N., 120 d. 20'E.
             Light cruiser NATORI, by submarine HARDHEAD (SS-365), east
              of Samar, P. I.,
              12 d. 29'N., 128 d. 49'E.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 08:05:17 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE

Actually, Japan got into Manchuria (the northeast provinces of China, and
traditionally somehwat apart from the rest of the country) as a result of
the Russo-Japanese War and WWI. Its spoils from Russia included the South
Manchuria Railroad, an economic zone that in effect included everything
within artillery shot of the railroad, along with the towns and cities it
served.

Japan joined the Allied Powers in WWI long enough and just vigorously
enough to insist on a place at the peace table. In this way it picked up
German "concessions" in China and German colonies in the South Pacific.
These were the mandated islands that claimed, among others, Amelia
Earhart and so many US Marine amphibious troops in later years. (Yap, I
believe, was one such.)

So the Japanese putsch in Manchuria in 1931 followed from the history of
the previous 25 years. The local Chinese warlord was proving troublesome,
so his train was blown up, killing him, and that incident was used as an
excuse to seize Mukden and generally seize sufficient control of all
Manchuria that it was declared an independent state under Henry Pu-yi of
"Last Emperor" fame. Manchukuo was six years old when the Sino-Japanese
War began in 1937. This is a major reason why neither the Japanese nor
the Chinese refer to their military contest as World War II: the two wars
ended together, but the Sino-Japanese War began long before.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 06:22:35 -0700
From:    Jim Benn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: German squad vs....

Tim's post about German MGs and the rate of fire from GI weapons made me
remember some information that I think came from Paul Fussell's book
WARTIME.  If you haven't read it, it's a great book for many reasons, but
in terms of this discussion I seem to remember a section talking about
what a small percentage of GIs in combat actually fired their weapons
directly at the enemy; some would dive for cover, some would fire wildly,
and some would actually direct their fire; it was a matter of how much an
individual was willing to expose himself to return fire.

Anyone else remember this or have any other information?  Any difference
between German and USA units in this regard, or is this a universal
occurence?  Or, not true at all?

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 10:17:10 -0400
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE WAR

In reply to the mail from <[email-masked]>...
>
>Tom Shirhall <[email-masked]> writes,...
>>>I understand the Japanese were in China in the mid 30's. What provoked that?
>>>Does anyone know?
>>
>>My recollection is that relative junior army officers attacked Manchuria in
>>1933 for the honor of the emperor without authorization. Since they were
>>"wildly" successful, their superiors had to support them. And so on to war.
>>The Japanese had something like the Monroe Doctrine. I think that they
>>called in the Greater Asiatic Co-prosperity Sphere. They believed in
>>Japanese racial superiority, which is funny because most of the residents of
>>that area are all of the same racial stock.
>
>Hi Tom,... thanks for the info., and say "Hey!" to Deb Heystek for me. Tell
>her we hope to see her & Clarke this Fall.
>
>Amicably, Alan
  The build up of animosity between Japan and the US goes back
to the time of the Russo-Japanese War.  Teddy Roosevelt got the
Nobel Peace Prize for brokering a peace settlement between the
two combatants, but he earned Japanese resentment, too.
  Both Japan and US see each other as likely foes for dominance
in Asia.  Both realize that the European nations control is
weaker in the Pacific area, especially after World War I.
  Japan had heavily invested in Manchuria, due to its large
supply of iron and coal, resources needed by Japan to fuel its
industrial expansion.  The military had a veto over Japanese
government actions with regard to Manchuria, and as stated in
another post, the military was not happy with the actions of the
local Chinese warlord, so they staged an incident, and the Army
forced the Japanese government to act - "protect" Japanese
interests with troops - similar to US Marines in the Caribbean.
  Japan is of the opinion that the US will not take definitive
action in Asia.  The Open Door Policy in China is not backed up
with any concrete steps and the US protest over Manchuria is not
backed up with any concrete actions.
   Japan invades the rest of China in 1937, and outside of
verbal protest and the Flying Tigers, the US does nothing, again
reinforcing the Japanese opinion the US will not act in Asia.
   Our most significant action is a "Moral Embargo," we don't
renew Japan's Most Favored Nation status, we demand licenses to
buy oil and scrap iron.  Then we declare an embargo on scrap
iron.  Japan retaliates by signing the Tripartite Pact.
   Japan next pressures Indo-China and the Dutch East Indies for
concessions, allowing them access to the rubber, Cam Ranh Bay
and the oil.  Japan looks at Europe, sees Holland swallowed up
and France ready to fall and decides now is the time to act.
   US feels it can't let Japan run wild, so in July 41,
Roosevelt embargoes oil to Japan.
   Roosevelt thinks it will spur negotiations on limiting
Japan's sphere of influence in Asia and Japan thinks it is
tantamount to war, and begins planning for war with US.

  Japan .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 10:38:57 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE WAR

>   Japan invades the rest of China in 1937, and outside of
>verbal protest and the Flying Tigers, the US does nothing, again
>reinforcing the Japanese opinion the US will not act in Asia.

If I recall properly, even though Claire Chennault started establishing
flying schools and air bases in 1937, the AVG (flying Tigers) were not
operational until November of '41 and did not fly a sortie until after the
initiation of hostilities in December.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 14:01:34 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: MESSAGE TO DOUG DONNELL

  FOR LTC DOUG DONNELL

  I have received your various messages and have tried to send replies via
Internet and Compuserve, without success.  Is there any other way I can contact
you?

  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 10:12:21 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: P-39 & Air War in China

I have enjoyed reading the Combat Chronology of the US Army Air Forces every
day, but I have 2 questions.  Maybe someone out there can help with.
1. I always heard the P-39 was a dog of a plane and I have been surprised
   to see it in action in the Southwest Pacific.  I knew large numbers were
   supplied to the Soviet Union.  Can anyone suggest any sources on the P-39
   in World War II, preferably something that covers it in action in US and
   foreign service?

2. I also have a very vague idea of the air war in China, both before and
   especially after Pearl Harbor.  Anyone have sources that cover that
   theater?  I think it's especially interesting that P-40's soldiered on
   there, long after they had been withdrawn from more active areas.

Thanks in advance.  Every week I go through Publisher's Weekly and get
cites to new books to read.  I'm making a reading list for retirement,
since I'll never get to them now.  Only 20 years to go.
Tim J. Watts
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 10:17:55 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE

I think part of the explanation of the motive for the move into Manchuria
is also that the Japanese traditionally viewed it as their sphere of
influence.  Between 1890 and 1905, Japan fought wars against China and
Russia to capture Korea and part of Manchuria.  They had substantial
business interests throughout Manchuria and a concession from China to
post military guards along Japanese-owned railroads.  The whole
Manchuria Incident in 1933 began with a bomb planted on such a
railroad.
Tim J. Watts
Valparaiso University
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 11:41:19 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE WAR

> >   Japan invades the rest of China in 1937, and outside of
> >verbal protest and the Flying Tigers, the US does nothing, again
> >reinforcing the Japanese opinion the US will not act in Asia.
>
> If I recall properly, even though Claire Chennault started establishing
> flying schools and air bases in 1937, the AVG (flying Tigers) were not
> operational until November of '41 and did not fly a sortie until after the
> initiation of hostilities in December.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is one of the grandest testimonials to the durability of myth. Even
solid historians have the Flying Tigers in combat in China in the 1930s.
As far as I can determine, the *only* source for the myth is the Republic
B movie *Flying Tigers* with John Wayne, which ends (after much combat
with reasonably-well-mocked-up Nakajima Ki-27 "Nate" fighters) with the
boys listening to the news of Pearl Harbor attack on the radio.

The first combat of the American Volunteer Group took place near Kunming,
China, on December 20, 1941, nearly two weeks after the U.S. went to war
against the Empire of Japan. The next was December 23 over Rangoon, Burma,
which remained the AVG's principal combat base until March 1942.

- dan

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 08:52:55 -0700
From:    Jim Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE WAR

OK, NOW YOU'VE GONE AND DUNNIT!!

Everyone knows Cap'n Wayne won that war single-handedly. Uh yes, he
also won the Korean "conflict" and saved the Green Berets in Nam.

If the history books conflict with the factual accounts in the
Wayne movies, then we must show credence in the movies. Hear Hear.

Sorry . . . cudn't hep it . . . Jim

___Original Letter _______________________________________
Date: 18 Aug 1994 08:41:19 -0700
Sender:   World War II Discussion List       (WWII-L)
From:     Dan Ford                           (DAN.FORD)
To:       Multiple recipients of list WWII-L (WWII-L)
Reply-To: World War II Discussion List       (WWII-L)
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE WAR

> >   Japan invades the rest of China in 1937, and outside of
> >verbal protest and the Flying Tigers, the US does nothing, again
> >reinforcing the Japanese opinion the US will not act in Asia.
>
> If I recall properly, even though Claire Chennault started establishing
> flying schools and air bases in 1937, the AVG (flying Tigers) were not
> operational until November of '41 and did not fly a sortie until after the
> initiation of hostilities in December.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is one of the grandest testimonials to the durability of myth. Even
solid historians have the Flying Tigers in combat in China in the 1930s.
As far as I can determine, the *only* source for the myth is the Republic
B movie *Flying Tigers* with John Wayne, which ends (after much combat
with reasonably-well-mocked-up Nakajima Ki-27 "Nate" fighters) with the
boys listening to the news of Pearl Harbor attack on the radio.

The first combat of the American Volunteer Group took place near Kunming,
China, on December 20, 1941, nearly two weeks after the U.S. went to war
against the Empire of Japan. The next was December 23 over Rangoon, Burma,
which remained the AVG's principal combat base until March 1942.

- dan
___End of Original Letter_________________________________

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 16:05:03 GMT
From:    "Robert B. Edison" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Cobras over the Tundra

My apologies for the following, as I do not remember the name of the
listmember who requested info on Cobras over the Tundra, but I did a quick
query to the Library of Congress, and came up with this citation.  As I am in
digest most, I am not able to reply or post to this list as quickly as I might
like to.

92-85347                                 ITEM 1 OF 1 IN SET 1        (LCCC)

Long, Everett.
  Kobry nad tundroi / {Long, Everett i Negenblia, Ivan} = Cobras over the
tundra / {Long, Everett and Negenblya, Ivan}.  Ferbenks, Aliaska : Arktika
Interpraizis ; IAkutsk: "Saidyy", 1992.  115 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 28 cm.

LC CALL NUMBER: D790 .L58 1992

SUBJECTS:
  World War, 1939-1945--Aerial operations, American.
  World War, 1939-1945--Aerial operations, Soviet.
  Lend-lease operations (1941-1945)
  World War, 1939-1945--Russia (Federation)--Siberia.
  World War, 1939-1945--Alaska.
  Siberia (Russia)--History.
  Alaska--History.

ADDED ENTRIES:
  Negenblia, Ivan.
  Cobras over the tundra.
NOTES:
  Parallel text in Russian and English.

ISBN:  5852590010
       0963457810 : $19.95
GEOG. AREA CODE:  e-ur--- n-us---
LCCN:  92-85347

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 09:19:19 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 19-AUG-1944

On 19-AUG-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Northern France - The XV Corps (US 3rd Army) reaches the Seine at Mantes
Grassicourt. The fighting between Falaise and Argentan is still very fierce
and continues to go badly for the Germans. In Paris, the French resistance
begins operations against the Germans.

Eastern Front - The 2nd Ukraine Front opens a powerful offensive in the area
of Jassy. The 3rd Ukraine Front also takes part in this offensive, attacking
in the area of Tiraspol, in Rumania. The goal of this offensive is to destroy
the German-Rumanian 6th Army.

The Homefront
-------------
More Machine Plants Seized - President Roosevelt has ordered 99 more West
Coast machine plants seized when workers persisted in their refusal to work
more than 48 hours a week.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 16:20:39 GMT
From:    "Robert B. Edison" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Request for stories, personnel info

I would like to request of members of this list, any assisstance they might be
able to render as to contacts, personal stories, etc on aircraft and aircrew
involved in defections, hijackings, internments, or seizures during the
period of WWI up to the present as well as shoot downs and force downs in
peacetime or limited wars.  I am currently writing a book, and have completed
about 400 pages single spaced on the topic.  Most of the research has been
directed at obtaining source material from book and periodical references.  I
would like to add details from personal experiences if at all possible, as
well as photographs of the aircraft involved.  Phil Butler's new book, War
Prizes, which I had a chance to look at during a recent IPMS-DC meeting some
nights back is a very thorough and excellent reference work on the topic of
captured Axis aircraft from World War II.  I would like to complement his work
and also expand on the coverage thorugh the present and include the topics I
mentioned above.   Any assisstance would be appreciated, especially in the
areas of contacts and photographs.

[email-masked]
703-821-5724 work, 301-292-5967 home

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 13:32:46 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Wings of Eagle Airshow

 If anyone is planing to be at the Wings of Eagle Airshow this Friday thru
Sunday in Batavia New York, please stop by and chat with me if ya happen to
see me.  I will be working the flight line this year.  I am 6"1', 180
pounds and have brown hair.  I can probably be easist recognized by the
ratty old blue and yellow West Virginia Mountaineers baseball cap I wear.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 15:08:49 -0500
From:    Bill Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE

As Dan Ford noted earlier in this thread, the Mukden Incident was in 1931.

On Thu, 18 Aug 1994, Tim J. Watts wrote:

> I think part of the explanation of the motive for the move into Manchuria
> is also that the Japanese traditionally viewed it as their sphere of
> influence.  Between 1890 and 1905, Japan fought wars against China and
> Russia to capture Korea and part of Manchuria.  They had substantial
> business interests throughout Manchuria and a concession from China to
> post military guards along Japanese-owned railroads.  The whole
> Manchuria Incident in 1933 began with a bomb planted on such a
> railroad.
> Tim J. Watts
> Valparaiso University
> [email-masked]
>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 15:16:48 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE

mea culpa, mea culpa.  I noticed my mistake right after I sent it.  Thanks for making the correction.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 15:22:48 -0500
From:    Bill Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: P-39 & Air War in China

On Thu, 18 Aug 1994, Tim J. Watts wrote:
> 1. I always heard the P-39 was a dog of a plane and I have been surprised
>    to see it in action in the Southwest Pacific.

Not so much a "dog" as outdated; and in some ways overambitious and unable
to live up to performance standards due to this.

> 2. I also have a very vague idea of the air war in China, both before and
>    especially after Pearl Harbor.  Anyone have sources that cover that
>    theater?  I think it's especially interesting that P-40's soldiered on
>    there, long after they had been withdrawn from more active areas.

Dan modestly demurred in recommending his book on the American Volunteer
Group, the most recent entry into that bibliography.  The main reason the
P-40 soldiers on in China is that the CBI theater was the low rung on the
priority poll.  And in CBI, "C" got lowest of all when it came to fighter
replacement.

Another factor was the general reliability and resiliancy of the P-40.
It wasn't fast, it wasn't fancy, but it was proven and there was quite a
bit of built-up ability in patching it.  I think if you consider the
Pearl Harbor era U.S. fighter craft, it was the best all-around performer
(i.e., P-40, P-39, P-36).  Therefore, its well-suited to be the weapon of
choice at the end of the longest supply line in the war.

Speaking of Chinese air war pre-Pearl Harbor, Chennault is the pivital
figure but *NOT* the Flying Tigers.  Many Americans served as "advisors"
to the KMT in their air war with the Japanese.  For a very brief period
there was an International Squadron, and there were Soviet air groups
that flew in support of the KMT.  This was an extremely colorful and very
undocumented period -- you're not going to find a single volumn that
covers the pre-Pearl China air war.  You can find large chunks in some
Chennault biographies and some AVG works.  It's a situation a lot like
the Spanish Civil War -- some foreigners involved, lots of sundry
aircraft pressed into service, a rag-tag air force.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 21:06:07 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: P-39 & Air War in China

On Thu, 18 Aug 1994, Bill Smith wrote:
> Speaking of Chinese air war pre-Pearl Harbor, Chennault is the pivital
> figure but *NOT* the Flying Tigers.  Many Americans served as "advisors"
> to the KMT in their air war with the Japanese.  For a very brief period
> there was an International Squadron, and there were Soviet air groups
> that flew in support of the KMT.  This was an extremely colorful and very
> undocumented period -- you're not going to find a single volumn that
> covers the pre-Pearl China air war.  You can find large chunks in some
> Chennault biographies and some AVG works.  It's a situation a lot like
> the Spanish Civil War -- some foreigners involved, lots of sundry
> aircraft pressed into service, a rag-tag air force.
>

Ray Wagner at San Dieg AeroSpace Museum wrote a very nice history called
*Prelude to Pearl Harbor: the Air War in China 1937-1941* (1991). My copy
is marked $4.95 but I suppose there would be postage. It's magazine size,
44 pp, lots of photos, and as near as I can tell 100 percent accuracy.
The address of the museum is 2001 Pan American Plaza, Balboa Park, San
Dieg CA 92101.

(Diego, I mean.)

Ray wrote some pieces for the *Journal of the American Aviation
Historical Society* on the same topic some years ago.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 22:15:52 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: JAPAN PONDERS THE

A new book, "Sharks in the Sky," published by Brassey's will be available
shortly. It tells the story of the AVG. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 1994 23:29:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 19 AUG 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 19 AUGUST 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): In the Aleutian Islands, a weather sortie and
a 4-plane shipping sweep are flown with negative results.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 4 P-47s support ground forces SW
of Thaikwagon; and 4 others strafe trucks carrying troops between Bhamo and
Myothit.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 25 B-24s bomb Puchi, severely
damaging the warehouse area; 11 B-25s hit Sienning; 3 hit railroad tracks and
runway N of Hengyang; and 70+ P-40s and P-51s on armed reconnaissance attack
river shipping, troops, trucks, and other targets of opportunity at or near
Pengtse, Hengyang, Chaling, Yoyang, Siangtan, and Changsha.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): The 50th and 53d Troop Carrier
Wings, on loan to the Mediterranean Allied Air Force (MAAF) to participate in
the invasion of S France, are ordered to return to UK.
  No IX Bomber Command operations. In France, fighters cover ground forces in
the battle areas and fly armed reconnaissance along the Seine River and
surrounding areas and in wide areas around Paris, Orleans, and Tours; and HQ
373d Fighter Group moves from Tour-en-Bassin to St-James.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  AAF, MTO: The 72d Liaison Squadron, AAF, MTO (attached to Seventh Army),
moves from Santa Maria, Italy to St Tropez, France with L-5s; a flight is
operating from Caserta, Italy.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Bombing the Ploesti, Rumania
area for the fourth consecutive day, 65 B-17s supported by 125 P-51s blast 2
oil refineries.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In France, A-20s hit marshalling
yards while B-25s and B-26s bomb road and rail bridges throughout SE France;
fighter-bombers and fighters continue to pound enemy communications N and W,
of the beachhead and guns in the immediate battle area as the US Seventh
Army's Task Force Butler crosses the Durance River and moves N to Sisteron
and Digne.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): Saipan Island-based P-47s bomb
installations on Anatahan Island, Mariana Islands and drop fire-bombs on
Tinian Island to aid ground forces in mopping-up operations.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: Weather restricts
operations. In New Guinea, P-40s bomb the port of Napido; P-39s bomb and
strafe coastal positions along the W shore of Geelvink Bay; A-20s operating
in force in support of ground troops pound targets in the Sawar-Sarmi sector;
P-39s support ground forces in Wewak area; HQ 86th Fighter Wing moves from
Toem to Sansapor; and the 72d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 5th Bombardment
Group (Heavy), moves from Momote Airfield, Los Negros Island to Wakde Island
with B-24s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

19/0331Z AUG

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 17 Aug 1994 to 18 Aug 1994
*************************************************