Subject: WWII-L Digest - 24 Aug 1994 to 25 Aug 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 00:00:26 -0400

There are 22 messages totalling 896 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Jap troop strength on hom
  2. Navy Pay
  3. Jap troop strength on home islands 1945? (2)
  4. Seaplane Spitfire not all that bad (2)
  5. Information (3)
  6. 50TH: LIBERATION OF PARIS (2)
  7. Free French Forces
  8. INF: 50 Years Ago - 26-AUG-1944
  9. Bluejacket Manual
 10. GEN: Churchill, Conventry, Ultra (Backround info wanted
 11. Research topic
 12. German squad vs. U.S. Squad
 13. INF: USN Chronology 08-25-94
 14. INFO: AGS
 15. NAVY PAY
 16. [INF] USAAF 26 AUG 44
 17. INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 04:09:00 UTC
From:    "Edward S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Jap troop strength on hom

  >         I am looking for information concerning Japanese troop strength
  > on the 4 main islands in the Summer of 1945 period.  I am specifically
  > interested in a breakdown by island as well as estimates of artillery,
  > tanks, etc.  None of the sources I have tried have such information.
  > Does anyone on the list know of likely sources or perhaps have the
  > information at hand?  Thanks,
  > *************************************************  (Roger) Brad Coon
  >  "Lions are basically  [email-masked]          scavengers of
  > [email-masked]    hyaena kills."
  >  Hans Kruuk

  The definitive work on the subject is John Ray Skates, =The Invasion of
Japan: Alternatives to the Bomb= (U. of So. Carolina Press, 1994).  I helped
edit the book.  Skates is a retired army colonel who walked the beaches and
used many Japanese sources.  His work is reliable.  The answer is
complicated because the Japanese had first line units, second line units,
militia, etc. but it is in there.
  Incidentally, Norman Polmar, author of many Naval Institute books, is
writing another what-if-invasion-of-Japan book for release in 1995.

  Edward S. Miller   [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 07:03:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Navy Pay

 >          Over the weekend, I bought a 1940 edition of the
 >           'Bluejackets Manual' and on page 21, there is a
 >          illustration captioned 'Fig 3-2 - Pay Receipt It is
 >          is dated 5 July 1937 for the amount of $14.00,
 >          and above the line that says '(Rank or rating)'
 >          is written 'A. S.' (Able seaman?).
 >
 >          My question is was this weekly, monthly, or some
 >          other period? Also, was there an increase prior
 >          to December 7, 1941?

Assuming that the $14.00 was monthly pay, I believe the troops had
gotten a pay raise by 1941.  There was a song out about that time
that stated a GI was making "$21 a day, once a month."  I have a
book at home about the USAAF with pay tables and I believe that by
1944, an E-1 (buck private) was making about $54 a month.  When I
enlisted in the USAF in Jan 55, I was making $78 a month as an E-1.
It sounds like peanuts today, but remember in the late 1930s, a
brand new car was only $700-$800 so you have to make a percentage
comparision of the monthly pay with the general economy of the
country.  And another way of looking at it was the military gave
you three meals a day, your living quarters, medical and dental, so
the $14 a month was spent on personal items and maintenance of your
uniform or you could buy 280 Coca Cola's with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 08:30:27 -0500
From:    John Lundstrom <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Jap troop strength on home islands 1945?

Another good source on Japanese troops in the home island is: Reports of
General MacArthur, 2 volumes in 4 parts, published by the GPO in 1966. Vol.
1 gives the US plans to invade Japan and Vol. 2, Part 2 gives a good
overview of the Japanese side with superb maps.
                    John Lundstrom

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 08:30:56 EST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Jap troop strength on home islands 1945?

Thanks to all of you who have given me leads for the Jap strength
on the Home Islands.  I should be able to track down what I need now.
Thanks again,
*************************************************
(Roger) Brad Coon            "Lions are basically
[email-masked]          scavengers of
[email-masked]    hyaena kills."
                              Hans Kruuk

Kill a lion, save a hyaena!
Boycott Disney lionist propaganda!
*************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 08:51:54 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Seaplane Spitfire not all that bad

I came on board late, so I hope this does not repeat anything already said
about the Seafire.  According to Brown, in THE SEAFIRE, the early models were
not that fast at low altitudes.  In the Mediterranean, the Germans learned
that a JU-88 could go down on the deck and simply outrun the Seafires.
This is one of the reasons why the Royal Navy continued to use American
fighters on their carriers throughout the war.
The Seafire was also notoriously short-legged.  When the British Far
Eastern Fleet's carriers joined in the invasion of Okinawa, they used
Corsairs to make distant intercepts, while the Seafires stayed in close.

Corsairs to make distant intercepts, while the Seafires stayed in close.

According to legend, the greatest weakness of the Seafire was its
undercarriage.  Supposedly, more were lost in landing accidents than to
enemy action.  Novice pilots had a tendency to bounce on the deck and
the struts just collapsed.  Brown says that an experienced pilot could
normally land with never a problem or a collapsed gear.
Tim J. Watts
Valparaiso University

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 09:28:50 CST
From:    Charles Hendrix <[email-masked]>
Subject: Information

To all -

I am trying to do some family research.  My father was with the 79th
Infantry Division during WWII.  With the Normandy stuff earlier this
summer he finally is ready to talk about his experiences and to fill
in some gaps.  Does anyone here have suggestions about how I can get
a unit  history for the 79th?  Also, how specific might I be able to
get concerning his regiment, company, etc?  He began training with
the 78th Inf, so information about that division also would be valuable.

Thanks to any who have suggestions!

Charles Hendrix
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 13:34:40 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: 50TH: LIBERATION OF PARIS

August 25, 1994

As August 25, 1944 dawned, the US 4th Infantry Division found itself
in a bivouac just south of Paris.

Sgt. Orville Schroeder, my communications sergeant, brought me out of
a deep sleep by shaking me and saying, "Wake up, Capt. Ausland, we
are going to go take Paris."

A few hours later, I found myself driving in my jeep through throngs
of Parisians, as we made our way to Choisy le Roi, a suburb of Paris.
The mission of the First Battalion of the 8th Regiment, to which I
was attached as artillery liaison officer, was to guard the bridge
at Choisy le Roi over the River Seine.

In the meantime, the 12th Regiment of the 4th Division reached
the center of the city at about noon.  It joined up there with the
French 2nd Armored Division, which had met heavy resistance when
attacking from the west.

Shortly after noon, after some firing to preserve his honor, General
Dietrich von Choltitz, commander of the German forces, surrendered
and was taken into custody by the French.

Soon after leaving Paris, I wrote this account of that memorable
day to my parents.

Dear Folks, August 29, 1944

Well, this division has now been in on three of the most important
phases of the French campaign: (1) the landings on D-Day, (2) the
break thru on the St. Lo-Periers road, and (3) now the freeing of
Paris.

This has been one of the most exciting times we have had since
arriving in France. I won't go into the military details, but perhaps
you would be interested in the purely "non-military" points.

We started into the city late one morning. The infantry battalion with
which I travelled was one of the first to enter the city from its
particular side of entry. It was a grand welcome the people gave. They
lined the streets for mile after mile, thousands of them. All were
shouting, "Vive l'Amerique" or Vive la France," literally wild with
joy. We were the first Americans they had seen, the first sign of
freedom after four years of domination.

As we rode through the streets, the crowd would surge about us until
it was impossible to move forward. People would crowd about and onto
our vehicles. Women, men, and girls flung their arms about us,
insistent on kissing us on both cheeks. Mothers held up their babies
for us to kiss. We were literally showered with fruit of all kinds,
wine, and flowers, until our vehicle resembled a garden. At street
intersections the crowd was so thick it was impossible to move
forward, with the street solid with people as far as the eye could
reach. We moved only with loud use of the horn and insistent urging.

There were thousands of pretty girls, all dressed in their Sunday
best. It seemed to me I'd never seen so many beautiful women. Until
they spoke, one would think he was in America.

At last we stopped and set up our headquarters in an ex-German army
building. The people crowded about the gates to watch these
"Americans." It was impossible to work because of the kisses,
handshaking, and shouting. Our men were having a wonderful time.

That night there was singing, drinking, and dancing until the wee
hours of the morning. The hardships of occupation were forgotten, even
though it was difficult to convince them that the Americans, unlike
the Germans, would permit them to dance, collect in crowds, and enjoy
themselves.

It was a big moment in the city's history, and the French are the ones
to demonstrate it. For the moment at least, the Americans were the
finest persons who ever existed. Paris was liberated.

And so it has been for days as we move from one part of the city to
the other. Crowds, kisses, and celebration. A new kind of war.

But the fighting will come again. There are many Germans between here
and Berlin. They haven't given up and are not defeated by any means.

In another letter I will tell you of the FFI, the French Forces of the
Interior, and their fight to help free Paris. Also of the "little war"
I got into at the Place de la Concorde in the center of the city, with
more shooting than I've seen at the front.

Love, John

END

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 11:32:52 -0400
From:    "Mr. Scott Hannon" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Free French Forces

tesser louis j <[email-masked]> writes:

Re: Free French Forces

>1.  What was the quality/morale of the Free French forces that were
>involved in DRAGOON and the liberation?
>2.  To what extent did they participate in the further liberation of
>France and the defeat of the Reich

In August 1944, most of the Free French forces were North Africans;
the former Vichy defenders during Op Torch in '43. These troops had
been re-organized, re-equipped, and re-trained by the USA under the
French re-armament program. They usually had the same TOE and
training/doctrine as equivalent US units, but there were a few
exceptions. There is a volume in the US Army in WW2 "green" series
on this subject called _Re-arming the French_.

The re-armed French forces had first entered combat in large strength
in Italy in 1943. There the 4th Morrocan Mountain Division and a few
independent regimental sized mountain units [the GTM's] had performed
very well. A few other units were employed as well, but were not as
successful.

In July (?), the famous 2nd French Armored Division (2 DB) came
ashore at Normandy and was attached to Patton's 3rd Army (?). They
participated in the break-out, and later in the liberation of Paris.
This division was led by General LeClerc, one of the original supporters
of DeGualle and the Free French movement. However, the divisions
personnel were mostly ex-Vichy North Africans. This division was
one of the best Allied divisions of WW2.

The August invasion of Southern France was carried out by a joint US-
French force. The French forces (Corps sized) seized the vitl port
of Marsailles (sp?), and then joined the US forces for a drive up the
Rhone river valley to join up with the Normandy break-out forces in
September. By this time, the French forces were at Army strength
(1st Free French Army = I and II Corps). The October/November
fighting saw the formation of the "Colmar Pocket" as the 1st Army
blasted thru the Belfort gap and reached the Rhine near the Swiss
border. November also saw the very sucessful offensive by US 7th
Army and elements of 3rd Army break thru the Vosges and reach the
Rhine at Strasbourg. The lead division in the break-thru was 2 DB.
[LeClerc refused to operate under French 1st Army control...he hated
the ex-Vichy Generals as traitors and the idiots who lost in '40].

By December, the French forces were in a bad state due to the bad
supply situation and lack of replacements. Most divisions had taken
20+% losses without replacements and morale was low. The North
African replacement pool was very limited, and so replacements had to
come mainly from the newly liberated European Frenchmen. There had
not been enough time to train these men sufficiently, but the
crisis demanded replacements and so 10 thousand newly re-assigned
FFI men (French Forces of the Interior...ex-"resistance" men) were
hastily sent. This helped restore some of the morale and fighting
power of the French 1st Army, but still things were not good.
By January, whole divisions were built or rebuilt using ex-FFI men,
including the 9th Colonial Division (9 DIC).

In late January, French 1st Army (with much US assistance) started
a major new offensive to crush the Colmar pocket. By mid-February
the Germans were routed and the pocket totally cleared.

In late March, the French took part in the general Allied offensive
to cross the Rhine, and remained in action in southern Germany to
the end of the war. By this time, the French forces were larger than
the British forces.

The main units of the French were:
1 DFL (later retitled 1 DMI) = 1st Free French [infantry] Division. This
   was one of the few true Free French units (ie not ex-Vichy). It
   included 2 battalions of Foreign Legionaires (13 DBLE).
1 DB, 2DB, 5DB = 1st, 2nd, and 5th Armored Divisions. The 2 DB was one
   of the best armored units of the war.
2 DIM = 2nd Moroccan Infantry Division.
3 DIA = 3rd North African (mostly Algerian) Infantry Division. One of
   the best French infantry units.
4 DMM = 4th Moroccan Mountain Division. Another of the better units.
9 DIC = 9th Colonial Division. Re-manned by French men in December but
   not re-named.
10 DI = 10th Infantry Division. One of the first of the new divisions
   formed mainly from ex-FFI men. They got off to a poor start.
Other divisions were formed, but most too late for major combat, or
were only temporary formations. There were numerous independent regiments,
brigades, and battalions, many formed from ex-FFI men. The FFI units
generally were nearly worthless for front line combat until re-equipped
and re-trained. There was a major shortage of equipment throughout
the ex-FFI units, as the French tended to build many more units than
the US Re-Armament Program wanted to equip and supply.

The French played only a very minor role in the fighting in the Pacific.

>3.  How did the Free French of DeGaulle and the Communist dominated
>partisans finally reconcile their differences (e.g. were there
>violent conflicts at that time)?

The ex-resistance fighters were assumed to be "signed up for the duration"
and thus they fell under the control of the de facto government (led by
DeGaulle). Non-compliance was thus mutiny or treason. At first they
operated under the same organization and leaders as they had during the
occupation. Later they were re-organized into the regular army.

DeGaulle's position was weak, and he had to be careful to stay in
control and prevent civil war. His need to prevent embarrassing
setbacks was one of the main reasons for the late '44/early '45 crisis
with Eisenhower/SHAEF over the fate of Alsace.

>I found these questions compelling because I have heard tell of real
>failures of fighting quality among some of the French forces.

The criticism arises from 3 main events. First, the "old" French Army
as in the 1940 campaign and as Vichy defending North Africa. The
Army was poorly organized, equipped, and trained for high speed
warfare. Second, from SHAEF and its demands that the 1st French Army
clear the Colmar Pocket and their failures to do so. This criticism IMO
was mostly unwarrented and more due to SHAEF's unrealistic expectations
of what a beat-up unsupplied force can due in mid-winter against forces
dug in troops defending in mountains, forest, and behind rivers. And
third, those ex-FFI units. IMO the only French units *below* the quality
of typical equivalent US units were the hastily organized ex-FFI units.
These were of marginal military usefulness [good for guarding the Germans
trapped in the various Atlantic strongpoints, but not much else], but
then if the USA had its way they wouldn't have existed at all.

There is not much available in english covering the operations of the Free
French forces in WW2. The only military history I know of is de Lattre's
_History of the First French Army_ published in the early 1950s. (BTW, I
have an extra copy if anyone is interested and can afford paying a rare
book price). The operations are briefly described in the US Army in
WW2 "green" series volume _Riviera to Rhine_, but that mostly covers
US 7th Army operations. Also, Ready's _Forgottten Allies [Europe]_
covers some of the operations in varying degrees of detail.

Scott.
Scott Hannon, Thu Aug 25 1994 ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 12:07:07 -0400
From:    "Mr. Scott Hannon" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Information

re: US 79th Infantry Division

Yes, a divisional history was published soon after the war: _The
Cross of Lorraine: A Combat History of the 79th Infantry Division_.
But it is hard to find...an orginal edition on the used book
market will likely cost around $100 *if you can find it*. I
don't know if there has been a reprint. I'd like a copy of this
book myself.

However, the operations of this division are covered in outline
in the books _When the Odds Were Even_ by Bonn (recently
published by Presidio Press) and the US Army in WW2 _Riveria
to Rhine_, published just last year and available from the US GPO.
Both are good books, easy to obtain, and reasonably priced ($25-35).

The book _Operation Nordwind_ by Whiting also covers some of the
operations of the division in January 1945. It was published as a
paperback 2 years ago, and so might be a bit hard to find now. The
book _Winter Storm_ by Pomis (sp?) is also said to cover operations
in January 1945, but I've not yet recieved the copy I recently
ordered.  It is hard to find and expensive; I ended up paying $55
buying direct from the publisher (Turner Press ?).

Finally, there is the _Report of Operations of US 7th Army_, in three
volumes published shortly after the war, and reprinted (in 2 volumes)
in 1989 (?). But this is hard to find and expensive. Articles of War
Ltd in Skokie IL may still have a set for $100.

I don't recall any regimental or battalion histories, but I wouldn't
be surprised if there were a couple. The best book to get is obviously
the divisional history, but that's likely to be very hard to obtain.

BTW, many troops were trained in the USA in one division only to be
sent overseas to another division as a replacement. Often 25% of
a division in training would be striped of men for use as replacements.

Scott.
Scott Hannon, Thu Aug 25 1994 ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 12:21:29 -0500
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Seaplane Spitfire not all that bad

That would be the Schneider Cup, kind of a European seaplane racing grand
prix of the interwar years.

Regards

Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 09:55:21 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 26-AUG-1944

On 26-AUG-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Northern France - General de Gaulle returns to Paris and takes part in a
ceremonial parade despite the dangers from a few remaining German snipers. The
Canadian 1st Army heads towards Calais after crossing the lower Seine. The
British 2nd Army moves towards Belgium. The Allied forces resume their advance
towards the east from their bridgeheads on the right bank of the Seine. The US
7th Armoured Division (XX Corps) is pushing northeast towards Chateau-Thierry
and the river Marne. In Brittany, the Germans are still successfully defending
Brest.

Southern France - The German resistance in Toulon and Marseilles is weakening.

Eastern Front - The 3rd Ukraine Front reaches the lower course of the Danube
east of Galati. The 2nd Ukraine Front breaks through the gap opened in the
German lines between Galati and Focsani.

Italian Front - The 8th Army establishes bridgeheads over the river Metauro.
The German 71st Division is pushed back by the V Corps.

Naval Dispatches
----------------
Japanese destroyer SAMIDARE sunk by submarine BATFISH (SS-310), off Palau
Islands.

Foreign Affairs
---------------
Bulgaria Withdraws From War - The Bulgarian government has announced that it
has withdrawn from the war and that German troops in Bulgaria will be
disarmed.

The Homefront
-------------
Super-Concrete - Northwestern University, Chicago, says that its labs have
developed a new type of concrete, "stronger than steel and lighter than
aluminum" and costing only a third as much as steel. It can replace structural
steel columns.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 14:16:00 -0500
From:    "Colin Brace (617)726-5085" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Bluejacket Manual

          Thanks for all the response on my questions on the
          Bluejackets manual. You're right, it's a great read,
          like finding a time capsule.

          There's a whole chapter devoted to painting! "If it moves,
          salute it, if it doesn't paint it".

          So it was $14.00 a month. And from what I've read, that
          was considered high pay, compared to other countries ("over
          paid, over....").

          Thanks again!

          Colin Brace WA1KWA

          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 13:44:51 EST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 50TH: LIBERATION OF PARIS

I don't know if anyone else caught Good Morning America this morning,
but they had a segment on the current celebrations.  I heard this
while I was shaving so I can only hope that I have the gist of it
correct.  The Mayor of Paris apparently delivered a speech in which
he spoke of the French troops who landed at Normandy and liberated
Paris.  He not only ignored the role played by the other Allied forces
at the time but also ignored an American delegation of veterans who
had been present 50 years ago.
Considering this slight as well as the F-111s we lost because they
wouldn't allow an overflight to get to Libya a few years ago, I have
to admit that the next time France needs a little liberation help, I
am not exactly going to be an enthusiastic supporter.
*************************************************
(Roger) Brad Coon            "Lions are basically
[email-masked]          scavengers of
[email-masked]    hyaena kills."
                              Hans Kruuk

Kill a lion, save a hyaena!
Boycott Disney lionist propaganda!
*************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 15:29:10 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: Churchill, Conventry, Ultra (Backround info wanted

Hello, Frank!

> >        2. Did Churchill allow the bombing of Conventry to occur in order
> >           to protect the secret of Ultra?

    I think this episode has been proven to have no base in reality.
It may have been William Stephenson's book that tended to enhance
this idea, but research has shown this to be false.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 15:21:56 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Information

Hello, Charles!

Are you still looking for the unit history of the 79th? I can supply
a history of it for you. Please advise. Is anyone else interested in
this history? If so, I will post to the list. If not, it will be done
privately. Please advise.

    All the best.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 16:04:23 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Research topic

Hello, Margaret!

Glad to help, if I can.

> My 16 yr. old daughter is taking AP American History.  By the end of next
> month she needs to come up with a research topic on World War II.  Does
> anyone have any unique ideas on a topic that she can write on?  I believe
> that the paper needs to be 10 pages long.

    Does your daughter have a specific interest? I can give her a
hundred ideas for topics, but it will all depend on her own
interests, the level of expertise that she is expected to show for
her age, and so on. If you could let me know what might be of
interest to her, I will give you a good listing of the topics that
could be discussed. Is she expected to do much research?

    Hoping to hear from you, I remain

    Sincerely

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 15:39:24 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German squad vs. U.S. Squad

Hello, Matthew!

Will offer you my opinion.

> Do you think that the typical German infantry or Panzergrenadier squad
> (Gruppe)of 1944 -45 was better in terms of equipment, training, fire power,
> etc than the typical U.S. infantry squadof 1944-45?

    No. The typical U.S. infantry squad of 1944-45, within that time
frame, to my mind, was the best equipped of any fielded during the
war. At that point in time, German weapons' development, was beginning
to fall back on last-resort equipment that was very faulty, stop-
gap, and bordered on the novel. However, the standard German infantry
weapons, such as the Karabiner 98, and P-38 were still most reliable.
If memory serves me correctly, the development of the MP-43 was a
design that was superior to the Thompson's that were used.

    But, to my mind, the equipment of the average U.S. squad in 1944-
45 was as good as could be found anywhere.

    Hope this helps.

 > Barring support from heavy weapons which would win in battle?

    That may depend on the combat experience of the man pulling the
trigger. Certainly an excellent weapon in the hands of a novice may
be just so much junk, and the opposite is also applicable. I think
you would have to examine the motivations and combat experience of
the men in the line to decide that. Not just with the weapons at hand.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 12:54:28 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 08-25-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
08/25 Fri. Paris, France, is liberated by United States and French
troops
            Japanese naval vessel sunk:
             Destroyer YUNAGI, by submarine PICUDA (SS-382), Philip-
              pine Islands area,
              18 d. 46'N., 120 d. 46'E.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 26 Aug 1994 08:38:37 +1000
From:    Derek Monz <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO: AGS

I came across this piece of info recently. There was supposed to be a
section in the allied forces called the allied geographical section. Is
this true and what was the section established for?.

Thanks.

[email-masked] Msc (Geology) 1994.
disclaimer: - I didn't do it!.

" In the beginning Boeing created the B-17 and they were pleased. It came to
pass that the United States Army Air Corps saw what Boeing had wrought and
they too were pleased, and they praised the big bird that Boeing had
brought forth. And it also came to pass that the Luftwaffe saw the B-17
and they were sorely afraid exclaiming loudly "oh woe is me, oh woe is
me"".
                            ((-------))
                                \o/
                                 |
                               _/ \_

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 20:35:38 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: NAVY PAY

AS stands for apprentice seaman, the rating boot sailors had before and during
their boot camp. When they finished recruit training, they were paid $17/month,
the same pay privates in the Army and Marine Corps were paid. I remember when I
came in in 1943, I was paid $21/month. On that pay, you washed, starched, and
ironed your own khaki uniforms and dungarees. We sometimes washed them in salt
water to make them "salty." For our greens, we ironed them also, using the
irons and ironing boards provided to each squadbay. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 20:45:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 26 AUG 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 26 AUGUST 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-6, North American Mustang
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): In the Kurile Islands, 3 B-24s hit the
Kashiwabara staging area on Paramushiru Island during the early morning,
starting several fires; later 6 B-25s strafe and bomb the E coast of the N
Kurile Islands, sinking a patrol boat; 1 out of 4 interceptors and one of the
B-25s are hit; 7 more B-24s bomb targets on Kashiwabara and on Otomari Cape,
including docks, piers, boats, and a fuel dump. 6 P-38s unsuccessfully
attempt to intercept 4 unidentified aircraft W of Attu Island.

  CARIBBEAN (Sixth Air Force): The 3d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), VI Bomber
Command, moves from Howard Field, Canal Zone to Rio Hato, Panama with B-24s.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): The 490th Bombardment Squadron (Medium),
341st Bombardment Group (Medium), moves from Kurmitola to Dergaon, India with
B-25s.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 3 B-24s bomb a storage area at
Amoy; 3 B-25s bomb a barracks area near Wenchow harbor and damage a bridge
near Sincheng; 31 fighter-bombers attack railroad targets, troops, sampans,
and other targets of opportunity in or near Yangtien, Yungfengshih,
Siangsiang, Anjen, Laiyuan, Kinhwa, and Pengtse.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 8 missions are flown (numbers in
parenthesis indicate number of bombers attacking).
  Mission 575: 359 B-17s are dispatched to attack gun batteries in the Brest,
France area; targets are Brest/Pte de St Mathieu (35) and coastal batteries
at Kerandieu (27), Cornovailles (21), Brest/Ile Longue (20), Brest/Kerviniov
(9) and Brest/Ponscorf (7); targets of opportunity are Brest/Pte des
Espagnoles II (21) and Brest/Pte des Espagnoles III (18); 3 B-17s are damaged
beyond repair and 4 damaged; 18 airmen are KIA. Escort is provided by 48 of
49 P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost.
  Mission 576: 588 bombers and 402 fighters attack oil refineries, fuel
stores and chemical works in Germany; 10 bombers and 3 fighters are lost:
  1. 109 B-24 are dispatched to the chemical works at Ludwigshafen (41);
secondary targets hit are marshalling yards at Ehrang (33) and Kons/Karthaus
(8); 11 others hit Alzey and 2 hit other targets of opportunity; 7 B-24s are
lost and 53 damaged; 2 airmen are KIA, 3 WIA and 70 MIA. Escort is provided
by 77 of 81 P-51s; they claim 1-0-0 aircraft on the ground; 1 P-51 is lost.
  2. 259 B-17s are dispatched to oil refineries at Gelsenkirchen/Buer (89)
and Gelsenkirchen/Nordstern (85); 19 hit Deelen Airfield, a secondary target,
and 11 hit targets of opportunity; 3 B-17s are lost and 89 damaged; 5 airmen
are WIA and 26 MIA. Escort is provided by 159 P-47s and P-51s without loss.
  3. 220 B-24s are dispatched to Dulmen fuel dump (73) and oil refineries at
Salzbergen (71) and Emmerich (36); 36 others hit Eindhoven Airfield; 2 B-24s
are damaged. Escort is provided by 129 P-38s, P-47s and P-51s; 1 P-38 and 1
P-51 are lost (pilots are MIA) and 1 P-51 is damaged beyond repair.
  Mission 577: 9 of 10 B-24s fly an AZON bomb mission to Moerdijk rail
bridge, the Netherlands but clouds prevent an attack. Escort is provided by
32 P-51s.
  Mission 578: 37 B-17s are dispatched to hit liquid oxygen plants at La
Louviere, Torte and Willebroeck, Belgium but the mission is aborted due to
clouds. Escort is provided by 18 of 18 P-51s.
  Mission 579: 3 of 3 B-17s fly a special bomb test using Micro H radar
against aviation industry targets at Meaulte, France. Escort is provided by 7
P-47s.
  Mission 580: 3 B-17s fly a Micro H test mission; 2 of the aircraft also
drop leaflets.
  Mission 581: 7 B-24s are dispatched on a radio countermeasures mission to
aid the Royal Air Force (RAF) Bomber Command.
  Mission 582: 6 of 6 B-17s drop leaflets in France and Belgium during the
night.
  183 P-47s and 206 P-51s attack transport targets in Belgium, E France and W
Germany; they claim 1-0-0 aircraft; 2 P-47s and 7 P-51s are lost and 9 P-47s
and 6 P-51s are damaged; 1 pilot is WIA and 8 are MIA.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): HQ IX Troop Carrier Command is
relieved of its assignment to the Ninth AF upon transfer of the command and
its service organizations from the IX Air Force Services Command to HQ First
Allied Airborne Army  commanded by Lieutenant General Lewis H Brereton.
  In France, IX Bomber Command, with fighter escort, strikes fuel dumps at
Saint-Gobain, Fournival/Bois-de-Mont, and  Compiegne/Clairoix, and troop and
equipment concentrations at Rouen; fighters fly ground forces and assault
area cover, and armed reconnaissance in the Rouen, Dijon, Chatillon-sur-Seine
and S Loire areas; HQ 323d Bombardment Group (Medium) and 453d, 454th, 455th
and 456th Bombardment Squadrons (Medium) move from Beaulieu, England to
Lessay with B-26s; and the 15th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, 10th
Photographic Group (Reconnaissance), moves from Rennes to Chateaudun with
F-6s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 470+ bombers escorted by P-38s
and P-51s attack targets in Italy and Rumania; B-17s hit viaducts and bridges
at Venzone, Avisio, and Latisana, Italy; in Rumania, B-24s hit a train ferry
and terminal at Giurgiu, Otopeni Airfield, barracks and troops in the Baneasa
area and a viaduct at Borovnica.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): During the night of 25/26 Aug
fighter-bombers on armed reconnaissance over the W Po Valley, Italy, and over
the Nice, France area bomb vehicles and other targets of opportunity, and
during the day bomb ammunition dumps in SE France and in NC Italy; in France,
medium bombers hit guns in the Marseille area but several missions into the
Rhone Valley are aborted due to bad weather; fighter-bombers and fighters fly
armed reconnaissance over N Italy and SE France, attacking rail lines, roads,
guns, vehicles, and other targets of opportunity.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAF, POA (Seventh Air Force): Saipan Island-based B-24s bomb the airfield
on Iwo Jima Island. P-47s blast AA guns and troops on Pagan and Aguijan
Islands. A B-24 on armed reconnaissance bombs Woleai Atoll and Yap Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the Palau
Islands, B-24s bomb Koror and Peleliu Airfields. Other B-24s bomb Haroekoe
and Liang Airfields on Ambon Island. In New Guinea, A-20s in close ground
support hit troop concentrations in the Sarmi sector; fighter-bombers hit
targets of opportunity in the Wewak and Suain areas; P-39s maintain patrols
over the W shore of Geelvink Bay; HQ 348th Fighter Group moves from Wakde
Island to Noemfoor Island; the 6th and 21st Troop Carrier Squadrons, 374th
Troop Carrier Group, move from Garbutt Field and Archerfield, Australia
respectively to Nadzab with C-47s; and the 823d Bombardment Squadron
(Medium), 38th Bombardment Group (Medium), moves from Nadzab to Biak Island
with B-25s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

26/0047Z AUG

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 1994 21:20:07 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INFORMATION

Battery Press in Nashville has reprinted/is reprinting a number of unit
histories as well as official histories, such as the Marine Corps' five-volume
history of U.S. Marine Corps operations in World War II. It is quite possible
that Dick Gardner, the owner, has published/will publish the 79th history. Ben
Frank

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 24 Aug 1994 to 25 Aug 1994
*************************************************