Subject: WWII-L Digest - 20 Aug 1994 to 21 Aug 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 00:00:40 -0400

There are 2 messages totalling 179 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INF: 50 Years Ago - 22-AUG-1944
  2. [INF] USAAF 22 AUG 44

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 21 Aug 1994 11:17:27 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 22-AUG-1944

On 22-AUG-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Northern France - The bridgehead established by the 79th Division (US XV
Corps) at Mantes-Gassicourt withstands counter-attacks by the Germans. The XX
Corps advances rapidly towards Melun and Montereau. The 5th Division (XX
Corps) is advancing on Fontainebleau. After taking Sens, the 4th Armoured
Division pushes on towards Villeneuve.

Southern France - The 36th Division (US VI Corps) takes Grenoble against very
light resistance. In the French sector, the 3rd Algerian Division and 1st
Armoured Division (French II Corps) continues advancing along the coast
against very strong German resistance.

Eastern Front - The 2nd Ukraine Front captures Jassy, in Rumania. The 3rd
Ukraine Front is extending its attacks northward toward Kishinev and has
advanced up to 50 miles in the past two days.

Italian Front - The Polish II Corps occupies the south bank of the river
Metauro from Sant Ippolito to the Adriatic coast south of Fano.

Burma/China - On the Salween front, the Japanese counter-attack around Sung
Shan but have little success.

Arctic - Three fleet carriers and two escort carriers of the British Home
Fleet attack the battleship Tirpitz in Kaafiord. The battleship Duke of York
is in support. The attack is detected on the way in and is repelled by a heavy
German barrage.

Naval Dispatches
----------------
Japanese frigate SADO sunk by submarine HADDO (SS-255) and frigates MATSUWA
and HIBURI are sunk by submarine HARDER (SS-257), Philippine Islands area.

Foreign Affairs
---------------
Dumbarton Oaks - Senior Allied representatives meet at Dumbarton Oaks to
discuss plans for maintaining postwar security. They agree that there should
be an assembly of all nations backed up by a council of leading states. There
should also be an International Court of Justice.

Japanese Homefront
------------------
Conscription Of Women - The Japanese government has introduced measures to
conscript all women between the ages of 12 and 40 to do war work. All who do
not volunteer face heavy penalties.

The Homefront
-------------
New Books Published - "Freedom Road" by Howard Fast, "You Are Younger Than You
Think" by Dr. Martin Gumpert and "Invasion Diary" by Richard Tregaskis.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 21 Aug 1994 20:27:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 22 AUG 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 22 AUGUST 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  Mosquito, deHavilland
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): P-51s and P-47s fly 53 sorties against
Tengchung, China in support of attacking Chinese forces. In Burma, 28 P-47s
attack buildings, supply dumps, troops, and gun positions near Ingyingon,
Nansankyin, and Pinlon; 8 P-47s strafe targets of opportunity between Tingka,
China and Bhamo; 2 rocket-firing P-51s seriously damage several buildings at
Aledaw; and 9 B-25s bomb Hopin.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 11 P-40s and P-38s hit bridges and
road targets around Tingka, Mangshih, Loiwing, and Pangpying; and 6 others
attack a landing strip and river traffic at an island near Foochow.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): IX Bomber Command operations are
cancelled because of weather. In France, fighters fly sweeps, provide air
cover for 2 infantry and 1 armored division, strafe numerous military and
transportation targets, and fly armed reconnaissance from Evreux to Troyes;
HQ IX Tactical Air Command moves from Coulouvray to Haleine; HQ 70th Fighter
Wing moves from Le Teilleul to Aillieres; HQ 387th Bombardment Group (Medium)
moves from Stony Cross, England to Maupertus; and the 380th Fighter
Squadron, 363d Fighter Group, moves from Maupertus to Azeville with P-51s
(the 380th will be redesignated 160th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron on 25
Aug). The 93d Troop Carrier Squadron, 439th Troop Carrier Group, ceases
operating from Membury and returns to base at Upottery, England with C-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Around 530 B-17s and B-24s
supported by P-51s and P-38s bomb hit targets in Austria and Germany; B-17s
bomb oil refineries at Odertal, Germany; B-24s bomb oil refineries at
Korneuburg, Austria and Blechhammer, Germany, and oil storage at Lobau,
Austria.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): Weather restricts operation in SE
France; B-26s attack targets in the Po Valley of Italy where they destroy 1
bridge and severely damage another; A-20s hit motor transport SW of
Alessandria, Italy and in the Nice, France area during the night of 21/22 Aug
and hit industrial buildings in S France during the day; fighters hit motor
transport W of the Rhone River and in scattered parts of SE France; the 85th,
86th and 87th Fighter Squadrons, 79th Fighter Group, move from Corsica to
Southern France with P-47s; and the 315th Fighter Squadron, 324th Fighter
Group, moves from Corsica to Le Luc, France with P-47s. The detachment of the
416th Night Fighter Squadron, 62d Fighter Wing, operating from Alghero,
Sicily with Mosquitos, returns to base at Pomigliano, Italy.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): Saipan Island-based B-24s bomb
airfields on Yap and Pagan Islands; P-47s also pound the airfield on Pagan
Island and AA emplacements. Kwajalein Atoll-based B-24s hit Mille Atoll,
Marshall Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In New Guinea,
fighter-bombers continue to blast supply and personnel targets in Manokwari
and the surrounding areas; fighter-bombers again hit N coastal areas,
including shipping facilities at Wewak, barge terminal on Mushu Island, and
trains and troop positions at various coastal points; and the 370th, 371st,
372d and 424th Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy), 307th Bombardment Group
(Heavy), move from Los Negros Island to Wakde Island with B-24s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

22/0029Z AUG

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 20 Aug 1994 to 21 Aug 1994
*************************************************