Subject: WWII-L Digest - 9 Aug 1994 to 10 Aug 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 00:00:15 -0400

There are 40 messages totalling 1370 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. small-arms of major powers
  2. INF: USN Chronology 08-10-94
  3. INF: 50 Years Ago - 11-AUG-1944
  4. INF: 50 Years Ago - 12-AUG-1944 (2)
  5. Women in Japanese Armed Forces (3)
  6. Estern front nightfighters.
  7. GEN: Info on Chiemsee
  8. Eastern Front Nightfighters
  9. INF: Japanese Troops hiding out (5)
 10. HIST: POWs (3)
 11. WEAP: Burnelli aircraft designs (5)
 12. GEN: ELECTRONIC BOOK
 13. ARCH: ftp sites
 14. Flying Wing aircraft (2)
 15. Re[2]: HIST: POWs
 16. POW's on the World Wide Web (2)
 17. GEN: Poem by John Magee- "High Flight" (2)
 18. INFO:YAP ISLAND (2)
 19. WSJ--Wednesday (3)
 20. [INF] USAAF 11 AUG 44
 21. WWII Documentary

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 9 Aug 1994 22:20:47 -0400
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: small-arms of major powers

>
> I am looking for information regarding the small-arms of the major powers.
> Specificly, information on muzzle velocity, bullet (slug) weight, etc. etc.
> Any information would be helpful.

"Cartridges of the World" should have everything you want and more.  It's
widely available at stores like Waldenbooks and Borders.

You can also order it out of gun magazines.  DBI Books, the publisher often
runs mail order ads in the common magazines.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 01:21:38 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 08-10-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
08/10 Thu. Organized Japanese resistance ends on Guam, Marianas Island.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 03:58:37 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 11-AUG-1944

On 11-AUG-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In Brittany, the German garrisons at Dinard and St Malo hold
     out resolutely against attacks by the 83rd Division. In the VII Corps
     sector, the 30th and 35th Divisions close in on Mortain.

Eastern Front - The 3rd Baltic Front resumes its offensive in the northern
     sector and breach the German lines south of Lake Peipus over a front of
     about 45 miles, and spread out northwards. Hitler's obstinacy has now
     ensured that the Army Group North will be virtually isolated from the
     main body of the German army.

Italian Front - The first convoys carrying the assault forces for Operation
     Dragoon sail from Naples.

The Homefront
-------------
Fuel Oil Band - The OPA halts issuance of fuel oil rations for hot water and
     domestic heating and lighting to those applicants who have use of
     electrical equipment for these purposes.

Three Convicted In Prisoners' Escape - Three Japanese-American sisters have
     been convicted in Federal Court, Denver, of conspiracy to aid the escape
     of two German war prisoners from an internment camp.

Circus Heads Accused In Fire - Superior Court, Hartford, Conn. charges five
     officials of Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus with
     manslaughter for the death of 167 person in the July 6 fire.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  ([email-masked]/[email-masked])
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 03:58:48 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 12-AUG-1944

On 12-AUG-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - Units of the US 1st Army have completely wiped out the Germans
     in the Avranches area. In Brittany, the 83rd Division is still being held
     up outside St Malo and Dinard. The XV Corps, after reaching Alencon,
     advance rapidly northwards towards Argentan. The first PLUTO (Pipe Line
     Under The Ocean) is put into operation, carrying fuel from the Isle of
     Wight to Cherbourg.

Italian Front - Allied forces complete the capture of Florence.

The Homefront
-------------
War Prisoners In U.S. - The Army reports 226,416 prisoners of war are in the
     United Stats as of August 1. The report says 89.5% of those available for
     work are being fully employed.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  ([email-masked]/[email-masked])
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 07:24:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Women in Japanese Armed Forces

I saw the following message on the Soc.history.war.world-war-ii
usenet group this morning and am reposting to our discussion list.
Is anyone familiar with this subject?

I have been reading a book called Wings over the Pacific; The RNZAF in
the Pacific Air War, by Alex Horn (ISBN 1 86941 152 8). In his accounts of
the activities of No. 3 Bomber Reconnaisance squadron on Guadalcanal in
early 1943, he mentions two incidents of interest. The first involved
pilots of the squadron looking at a crashed Japanese bomber, with the bodies
of the crew still present, and he comments that the navigator was a woman.
The second describes ground caches found at the Japanese HQ after the
evacuation in February, which among other things contined women's clothing.

This is the first time I have heard of women in the Japanes forces - I had
only heard of the Russian forces recruiting women for combat roles in WWII.
Can anybody tell me any more about this?

Dave Rogers

+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
| The opinions expressed   |                                               |
| in this post are MINE!   | "My name is Ozymandias, King of Ants,         |
| MINE! MINE! YOU CAN'T    |  Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!" |
| HAVE THEM!               |                              M. Python        |
+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:28:28 +0200
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Estern front nightfighters.

On Wed, 10 Aug 1994, Derek Monz wrote:

> As the topic suggests fellow lists members, I am conducting research into
> the activities of night fighter squadrons on the estaern front during the
> secindf world war. Ant help would be appreciated. evene the smallest
> thign helps.

I only find a few bits:

In the Squadron/Signal book on the Ju 88, part 2, it is mentioned that
the major Luftwaffe nightfighter units on the Eastern front were NGJ 100
and NGJ 200. They did not have a fixed base, but moved around according
to the needs.

In the 'Soviet Air Force fighters', part 2, by Green & Swanborough it is
said that the Pe 3bis, a fighter modification of the Pe 2, was issued to
the VI PVO Fighter Corps in August 1941, as a nocturnal interceptor, in
the defence of Moscow. These aircraft had a RPK-8 radio compass, a D/F set
and more powerful landing lights, that were also used for target
illumination. The Pe 3bis was also given to the IX Air Corps. Some Pe 3bis
units were later used for ground attack to stop the German advance; in
that role they suffered heavy losses, because their aircraft were not
armoured.

The same book also mentions the Yak-9PVO night fighter, equipped with a
RPKO-10 radio compass, multi-channel radio, and small searchlights.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:34:50 CET
From:    "LTC Donnell, Doug" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: Info on Chiemsee

In referring to my previous posting about the Hotel at Chiemsee, David
Risisng asked about getting a copy of the book.  The only place I've
seen it is at the Chimsee Hotel.  I'll be glad to call down and see if
they have any left and if they'd send one to me.  If anyone else is
interested let me know.  If I remember correctly, the cost was about
5 dollars plus whatever the mailing cost would be (not much given that
the thing is only 34 pages long).  Anyway, anyone interested let me
know.  Also of interest to some on the list might be a special issue
of the Stars and Stripes newspaper that was put out to commemorate the
50th anniversary of D-Day.  I believe they have a few at our local
bookstore for $2 each.  I can check on that as well if anyone is
interested.

David, glad you liked the posting.

                            Doug

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 08:02:29 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Eastern Front Nightfighters

Derek:
I haven't actually read any of these, but the following books are in my
personal reading list for the Eastern Front.  They might have some
information that would help you.

Atkinson, AIRPOWER AND RUSSIAN PARTISAN WARFARE
Cottam.  SOVIET AIRWOMEN IN COMBAT IN WORLD WAR II
Denny.  NIGHT RUN (a novel, but it's about the women who flew Soviet
     night missions)
Myles.  NIGHT WITCHES (see preceding one)

Good luck
Tim J. Watts
Valparaiso University
School of Law
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 09:12:44 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Women in Japanese Armed Forces

>
> This is the first time I have heard of women in the Japanes forces - I had
> only heard of the Russian forces recruiting women for combat roles in WWII.
> Can anybody tell me any more about this?

I find this very hard to believe. Certainly women served--were forced to
serve--in combat situations, as nurses on Japanese-held islands, and as
war workers at home. The notion of a woman aircrew on a Japanese army or
navy bomber just goes against everything the 1940s Empire thought about
and stood for. If it did happen, I bet it was one of those incidents
where a woman masquerades as a man; there have been occasional instances
of that.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 09:36:01 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: 50 Years Ago - 12-AUG-1944

>The Homefront
>-------------
>War Prisoners In U.S. - The Army reports 226,416 prisoners of war are in the
>     United Stats as of August 1. The report says 89.5% of those available for
>     work are being fully employed.
>
>=============================================================================
>

What exactly were POW's allowed to do and not allowed to do occupationally?
 Were Allied POWs used as labor?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka                                         National Warplane Museum
Cornell University                                 Geneseo, New York
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 09:47:56 -0500
From:    "Frank W. Patnaude,
         Jr. ACS x2857" <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: Japanese Troops hiding out

I noticed that on Guam, one Japanese survivor stayed in the jungle until
1972. Is there any more information on this case and any others like it?
TIA
Frank.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Frank W. Patnaude, Jr.              | "Those who do not learn from
 Applications Programmer             |  History are destined to repeat it.
 University of Maryland              |  And the same goes for Science and
 Baltimore County Campus             |  Math."
 [email-masked]      |          - Woody Boyd, Cheers
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 10:15:46 -0400
From:    Warren Thompson <[email-masked]>
Subject: HIST: POWs

In this country, POWs were used as farm labor (I don't know if there was any
form of payment). Also, I recall in late 45 or so that German POWs, under
light guard, carried groceries to my parents' car from the Ft Sam Houston (TX)
commissary. Author Kurt Vonnegut was a POW in Dresden and he helped to clear
rubble and locate bodies after the Allied fire-bombing, an account of which
shows up in one of his novels.

-- Warren Thompson
LEBANON VALLEY COLLEGE
Annville PA 17003

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 10:19:09 CCS
From:    Jorge Merino <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Burnelli aircraft designs

This may not be strictly related to WW-II, but I'm posting it since there
was some interest about Burnelli's designs after the note about the Horten
flying wings.

I have to remark that Horten and Burnelli concepts are different. Horten
used a concept known as "Flying Wing", while Burnelli used a concept called
"Lifting Fuselage". The Flying Wing concept was introduced as early as during
WW-I. There were many Dunne tail-less biplanes. Cheranovsky also designed
many tail-less aircraft during the 30s, but the true flying wings are the
Northrop and Horten desings, also developed in the 30s. The Lifting Fuselage
concept was first introduced by Burnelli, as explained below; so, here is
the info I've found about Burnelli aircraft:

Vincent Burnelli started his works on a new aircraft concept just
after the end of WW-I. He was convinced that an airplane fuselage,
if designed properly, should add a significative complement to the
lift provided by the wings, and reduce the drag; so, he dedicated
many years to develop and improve his new concept.

Burnelli's aircraft concept is known as Lifting Fuselage. His concept
was really anticipated for his time. He built many models, together
with many colaborators. The following is a list of the most remarkable
Burnelli designs:

- Remington Burnelli Airliner: (1920) Biplane. The first aircraft to
use his concept.

- Remington Burnelli RB-2: (1924) Transport biplane.

- Champman Burnelli CB-16: (1928) Monoplane, with the typical monoplane
configuration adopted then by Burnelli. The fuselage, with its aerodynamic
section, could surely be considerated the first practical wide-fuselage
transport. It could carry 20 passengers in a 5.49 m long x 3.45 m wide x
1.68 m high volume. The high wing, with struts, and the fuselage were made
entirely of metal. The tail structure was made of steel, and covered with
fabric. The landing gear, with tail wheel, could be manually retracted.
The power plant consisted in two Curtiss GV-1550 Conqueror engines, with
625 hp each one, located on each side of the nose.

- GX-3: (1929) Experimental lifting-fuselage monoplane, which participated
in the Guggenheim competition for safe aircraft. It had some unusual
features, including all-span flaps and a 4-wheel landing gear. The power
plane consisted in two A.D.C. Cirrus engines, with 90 hp each one.

- Uppercut-Burnelli UB-20: (1930) Similar to the CB-16, but with fixed
landing gear, and all-metal construction, all covered with metal. The
power plant consisted of two Packard engines, with 800 hp each one.

- Uppercut-Burnelli UB-14: (1934) Another effort to develop an attractive
commercial transport, based on the lifting fuselage concept. In this
plane, the fuselage, with an aerodynamic section, was virtually reduced
to the wing center section. The fuselage structure, with more beautiful
lines than previous designs, included two tail booms, linked by a wide
horizontal stabilizer, and twin vertical fins with their respective rudders.
The aircraft included an hydraulic-retractable landing gear. The power
plant consisted in two Pratt & Whitney Hornet radial engines. The cockpit
was located over the front section of the lifting fuselage, and the plane
could carry 14 passengers in a 3.55 m long x 3.66 m wide area, equiped
with thermostate heating, ventilation, illumination, bathroom and a big
baggage compartment. The UB-14 was destroyed in an accident, in 1935.

- Uppercut-Burnelli UB-14B: An improved version of the UB-14. The power
plant consisted in two Pratt & Whitney Hornet radial engines, with 750 hp
each one.

- A-1: (1935) A bomber design. Only a wooden mockup was built.

- Cunliffe-Owen OA-1: (1938) Basically, an UB-14B built in the UK by
Cunliffe Owen. The power plant consisted in two Bristol Perseus XIVC
radial engines, with 710 hp each one.

- General Aircraft XCG-16A: (1943) A transport glider, based on the A-1
bomber design. It could carry 40 troopers with full equipment. It was
of all-wood construction. Wing span: 28.04 m. Maximum weight: 8618 kg.
It could carry an alternative cargo of 3992 kg. Only the prototype was
built.

- Cancargo CBY-3 Loadmaster: (1945) Built after the end of WW-II for
Cancargo Aircraft Manufacturing Company. It was entirely built of
metal. The initial power plant consisted in two Pratt & Whitney R-1830
radial engines, with 1200 hp each one. The wide fuselage could carry 22
passengers, and included an additional 19.83 m3 space for cargo purposes.
The passengers area was 8.08 m long x 6.10 m wide x 2.13 m high. The
doors, located on each side of the fuselage, could allow objects up
to 6.10 m long. If a only-cargo configuration was selected, the CBY-3
could transport a 58.62 m3 volume. It was later re-engined with two
Wright R-2600 radial engines. It is the only surviving Burnelli aircraft,
and it is now in Connecticut.

Vincent Burnelli couldn't get commercial success with any of his planes.
Maybe he was another example of those minds who develop too much advanced
concepts for their time.

But his Lifting Fuselage concept was a great contribution to modern
aeronautics. It's validity was demostrated later, with the Lifting Body
designs tested in the 60s. These lifting body tests finally conducted
to the actual Space Shuttle. Unfortunately, he didn't survive to see
this, since he died in 1964.

Here are the technical specifications for the Burnelli UB-14B:

Burnelli UB-14B
---------------
Type           : Civilian transport
Power plant    : Two Pratt & Whitney Hornet, 750 hp radial engines
Max Speed      : 338 km/h at sea level
Cruise Speed   : 330 km/h at 3050 m
Service Ceiling: 6705 m
Range          : 2000 km
Empty Weight   : 4173 kg
Max Weight     : 7938 kg
Dimensions
  Wing Span    : 21.64 m
  Length       : 13.41 m
  Height       : 3.05 m
Total lifting area: 63.73 m2

Hope this helps,

Jorge Merino

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 19:14:01 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: ELECTRONIC BOOK

  August 10, 1994

  Someone asked me a few weeks ago about the electronic (disk) version of my
book LETTERS HOME.  At that time, I expected it to be available soon in the US.
However, things are not moving as fast as I hoped.  Therefore, if anyone is
interested, I will be glad to send a copy direct from here.
  Please send any message regarding this by EMAIL direct to me, and I will send
you by return EMAIL an electronic flyer.
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 11:06:03 -0400
From:    "Mr. Scott Hannon" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Japanese Troops hiding out

>I noticed that on Guam, one Japanese survivor stayed in the jungle until
>1972. Is there any more information on this case and any others like it?

Yes, there was a book called _No Surrender: My 30 Year War_ (or something
very close to that) written by one of these holdouts in the late 1970s
(and likely now out of print). It has been a decade or so since I read
it, but I think the basic story is this guy and a few (2-4?) other
holdouts live off the land after the US invasion. Attrition soon reduces
this to just two guys. Years pass. Eventually they get a radio. They
are unsure what is going on, but notice Japan is still around (as is
the US) and figure its their duty to hold out until Japan retakes the
island. A couple years later, its down to one guy when one is captured
(or wised up and surrendered). It then becomes known to the authorities
(in Japan, on the island, etc) that there is another known holdout in
the hills. So a few folks come thru asking/ordering this soldier to
surrender (this type of pleading had been going on for years, but this
time they *knew* this guy was out there, and they knew exactly who he was).
Eventually it sinks in to this guy that maybe he should surrender. And
the book ends soon after he surrenders and returns to Japan.

There are a couple other books on the subject of long term holdouts, but
I've not read them. The _No Surrender_ guy was the last one.

Scott.
Scott Hannon, Wed Aug 10 1994 ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 11:11:29 EDT
From:    Brian <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Burnelli aircraft designs

That's "Uppercu-Burnelli".  No "t".

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 16:47:00 BST
From:    AGNES DAY <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Burnelli aircraft designs

Onoda, Hiroo
No surrender: my thirty year war
Tokyo; New York: Kodansha International, 1974

or: London: Deutsch, 1975

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 12:18:10 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Burnelli aircraft designs

Thank you Jorge,

Your post was thorough and informative. I was the guy who was interested,
and I did see the last surviving Burnelli craft. The engines have been
removed, and the poor thing sits dejectedly outside the NEw England Air
Museuem. It's white paint is faded and worn. Sad.

I should like very much to see it again, when I have more time to appreciate
it's design.

Thank  you again. I shall save your post for posterity...

                                                                Steve

If only there were as many derrigible experts on the list...(sigh)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:16:10 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HIST: POWs

As I heard the story, the Geneva Convention required or suggested that
prisoners be billeted under conditions similar to those in which they
were captured. Accordingly, German PWs from the Afrika Korps were sent to
Tucson AZ where they built or helped build the road up Mt Lemmon outside
of the city. Certainly this was better duty than that meted out to most
prisoners of war, but the Sonora Desert must have come as something of a
surprise to a lad from the Black Forest. (Well, after Bengazi, maybe it
looked like heaven.)

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:18:38 -0400
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: ARCH: ftp sites

        I glommed this from the FAQ (frequently asked questions) for
soc.history.war.world-war-ii.  I haven't tried the sites listed except
for byrd.

FTP SITE-1:
----------
<[email-masked] (Larry & Kim Jewell)  June 8, 1994>

        Host:           byrd.mu.wvnet.edu
        Directory:      /pub/history/military/wwii
        Login:          anonymous
        Password:       _your_email_address

        Directory Listing:

150 Opening data connection for /bin/ls (131.215.139.234,3498) (0 bytes).
4307.txt*               command.decisions/      pictures/
50.years.later/         conferences/            policy/
D-Day/                  declaration.of.war/     sept_1939/
U.S.Army.campaigns/     gpo_wwii.txt*           special.studies/
USN_wwii/               justice.pap*            speeches/
active_carriers.txt*    national_arc.txt*       treaties/
balkans.txt*            naval_chronology/       wwii-l_digests/
chrono_1938-41.txt*     pearl.harbor/

        June 11,1994: FTP site byrd is accepting contributions of public
                      domain items for the collection. Items  should  be
                      uploaded to /pub/history/submissions.

        MORE Info on 'byrd'

<[email-masked] (James P. Long) June 14, 1994>

Some of the subdir's in WWII are Battle of the Bulge/Command
Decisions/D-Day/Naval Chronology.

The D-Day material contains very detaile studies of Utah Beach and Omaha
Beach, both done by the War Dept. in 1945 and signed by George Marshall
(they're in .ZIP format).

FTP SITE-2:
----------

< [email-masked] (John Davis) Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 12:13:20 GMT>

[I have changed the archive location where I am storing the 50 YA articles.
Please follow the instructions below for retrieving the 50 YA articles via
anonymous FTP. Thanks, John Davis]

The June 1944 50 Years Ago Today articles are now available for downloading
via anonymous FTP.

Instructions for downloading 50 YA articles -

o       The articles are stored by month.
o       To retrieve the articles by FTP,  " % ftp netcom.com",
o       enter "anonymous" when prompted for login ID,
o       enter your Internet mail address when prompted for password.
o       To change to the directory where the articles are stored enter

                "cd /pub/jbd"

o       The file name identifies the month

                (example - may1944.txt, contains the May 1944 articles).

Directory Listing:

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
apr1944.txt     may1944.txt     jun1944.txt
226 Transfer complete.

FTP SITE-3:
-----------

<Stupendous Man <[email-masked]> June 17 '94>

        The ftp address for Miss. State is:

                        ftp.msstate.edu

        Also note that the archives are available from other servers
        as mirror files.

        Here are some more network archive sites:

Name=Unites States Military Academy
Path=
Host=euler.math.usma.edu
#
Name=History articles (various)
Path=1ftp:English Server:History:
Host=english-server.hss.cmu.edu
#
Name=White House information
Path=1/.dir/president.dir
Host=gopher.tamu.edu
Port=70
#
Name=Federal information services
Path=1/Other
Host=stis.nsf.gov
Port=70
#
Name=History Archives and Servers
Path=1/Subject/History
Host=riceinfo.rice.edu
Port=70

FTP SITE-4
----------

<[email-masked]  Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 13:32 EDT>

http://enterprise.osd.mil/Demo/WWIInet/
Type: WWW page
Access: Public
Contributions: Mail to owner

************************************************************************
************************************************************************
-------
Subject: 9) This FAQ: Archive Info, History & Credits

ARCHIVE INFO: This FAQ is archived & availble thru anonymous FTP &
              thru world-wide web.

        Anonymous FTP:
        -------------

        1. SITE:        rtfm.mit.edu
           Directory:   /pub/usenet/news.answers/world-war-2-faq.Z

        2. SITE:        ftp.uu.net
           Directory:   /pub/usenet/news.answers/world-war-2-faq.Z

        Word-Wide Web:
        -------------

        URL for USENET FAQs:

        http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/top.html

        URL for this FAQ:

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/world-war-2-faq/faq.html
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
Woof woof WOOF! That's my other dog impression.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 10:20:58 -0700
From:    "Office TH325, Extension 3566" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Japanese Troops hiding out

>From:
> "Frank W. Patnaude,              Jr. ACS x2857" <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      INF: Japanese Troops hiding out
>
>I noticed that on Guam, one Japanese survivor stayed in the jungle until
>1972. Is there any more information on this case and any others like it?
>TIA
>Frank.

See "No Surrender:  My thiry-year War", Hiroo Onoda.  He held out in the
Phillipines until 1974.

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 14:04:19 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Flying Wing aircraft

The Historic Aviation catalog came in today's mail. They list Coleman's
book JACK NORTHROP AND THE FLYING WING for half price: $11.98 plus $4.50
US or $5.50 foreign. The order number is 4450N and the phone 800-225-5575
including Canada. Coleman worked for Northrop and adulates him and his
work; he theorizes that the plane flown by Capt Edwards was sabotaged and
that the air force then systematically destroyed all existing Wings. A
lot of theoretical stuff in the appendix on Wing aerodynamics.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:53:48 -0400
From:    Warren Thompson <[email-masked]>
Subject: HIST: POWs

For those interested in this subject (and with Internet access to something
called LIBS): I surfed through the Harvard library (unlike most Ivy League
libraries, Harvard does not require a password) under the subject of World
War, 1939-1945 --Prisoners and prisons, American, and found 30+ entries
dealing with Axis POWs in this country.

For those without Internet access, I'd be happy to make up a list of titles
and post it on request.

-- Warren Thompson

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:30:13 CDT
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: HIST: POWs

I just finished a correspondance course for the US Army on the Geneva
and Hague conventions, and it says nothing regarding keeping troops in
climates that they are accustom too--it says you can;t shoot them, and
you can make them work on camp maintenance, agriculture and non-war
economy related projects, but no war work.  It was probably more
practical to keep them south because of the cotton uniforms they wore,
however Afrika Korps vets were kept up north--Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas
had a few AK vets that later became famous in recent days due to their
criminal conviction and death sentence.

I heard on CNN that there is a group of people looking for a submarine
off the coast of San Fransisco.  What is the consensus about this?  TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 14:33:02 EDT
From:    Brian Nicklas <[email-masked]>
Subject: Flying Wing aircraft

"Jack Northrop and the Flying Wing" by Coleman is not worth  $1.98.
The personal rememberances when compared to known facts show a multitude
of errors.  I have a hard time with "behind the scene" stories when small
points are constantly wrong.  The intrigue has been covered elsewhere,
and in a better manner.  Take the book with a large hunk of salt.
(Maybe that's why it is half-price!)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:39:03 -0500
From:    Andrea Bean <[email-masked]>
Subject: POW's on the World Wide Web

Hello:

The Oregon State University Archives have an exhibit on farm labor during
the war here on the home front.  If you have access to Mosaic and the Web,
the document URL is:

http://159.121.28.251

To go directly to the POW portion of the exhibit:

http://159.121.28.251/osupow.html

It's very interesting--it seemed to be mostly German POW's working in Oregon.

Andrea Bean
Houston, Texas

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 14:20:42 EDT
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Japanese Troops hiding out

Frank had asked about any other cases like it,... This is the forward to
Onoda's book, _No Surrender - My 30 Year War_:

"Lt. Hiroo Onoda was officially declared dead in Dec, '59. At the time it was
thought that he and his comrade Kinshichi Kozuka had died of war wounds
sustained five years earlier in a skirmish with Philippine troops. A six-
month search organized by the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare in early
1959 had uncovered no trace of the two men.

Then in 1972, Onoda and Kozuka surfaced, and Kozuka was killed in an ecounter
with Philippine police. In the following half year three Japanese search part-
ies attempted to persuade Onoda to come out of the jungle, but the only re-
sponse they received was a thank-you for some gifts they left. This at least
established that he was alive. Owing partly to his reluctance to appear, he
became something of a legend in Japan."

(Any typos are mine,...) It goes on to say a that a University dropout named
Suzuki who had already trampled the globe told his friends that he would
travel through the Philippines, Malaysia, Burma, Nepal, "and other countries"
in search of: Lt. Onoda, a panda bear, and the Abominable Snowman, "in that
order". He found Onoda after only fours days out of Lubang, and talked him
into a meeting with officials. One hundred+ Japanese newsmen accompanied the
officials as Suzuki's story was checked out. 'Nothing like being in need of
a war hero...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Wild, LAN Mgr.  Father of 1.8815          Voice:          (401) 792-2611
ACC - Lippitt - URI  American Legion Post 102. FAX:            (401) 792-5479
Kingston, RI  02881  NRA Life Member           BITNET:           AWild@URIACC
                                               Internet: [email-masked]

"Duties and responsibilities were woven into the fabric of pre-D-Day living.
It was a self-disciplined, free society that those troops cherished, and they
fought a war for it.

The Woodstock celebrants won a cultural war eliminating both the standards
of, and the respect for, self-discipline.

The spoils of that victory are numerous and devastating.
                                                          -John A. Howard
                                                           Rockford Institute
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 14:23:04 EST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: INF: Japanese Troops hiding out

One more that comes to mind is a book called something like "The Lost
Men of Anatahan" about a garrison left behind at wars end.  Its been
something on the order of 25 years ago that I read so I am afraid that
that is all that my memory can drag up.
*************************************************
(Roger) Brad Coon            "Lions are basically
[email-masked]          scavengers of
[email-masked]    hyaena kills."
                              Hans Kruuk

Kill a lion, save a hyaena!
Boycott Disney lionist propaganda!
*************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 15:16:47 CCS
From:    Jorge Merino <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Burnelli aircraft designs

Steven Pudlo wrote:

; Your post was thorough and informative. I was the guy who was interested,
; and I did see the last surviving Burnelli craft. The engines have been
; removed, and the poor thing sits dejectedly outside the NEw England Air
; Museuem. It's white paint is faded and worn. Sad.

Thanks Steve. I think the responsible institution should setup a donor
program and raise funds to restore this remarkable aircraft to a more
decent display status, or if possible, to flying status. Such a remarkable
and innovative aircraft concept should be kept with more respect. Remember
that it anticipated to the lifting bodies, this means, the direct Space
Shuttle ancestors. I hope this discussion (maybe off-topic), will help
to generate enough interest to allow this last Burnelli's plane recover
the beautiful and innovative lines that really turned eyes around the
world many years ago....

Cheers,

Jorge Merino

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 16:14:30 CDT
From:    Robert Hohlt <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Poem by John Magee- "High Flight"

Hello all:

Isn't this "High Flight" poem by John Magee the same one that
the crewman was quoting in "Memphis Belle" the remake?

I can't remember seeing the original "Memphis Belle".

If I am mistaken then 1001 pardons ....:^).

Regards,

Robert Hohlt, Jr.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 16:19:01 CDT
From:    Robert Hohlt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Women in Japanese Armed Forces

Howdy folks,

The current topic made me remember this passage from
a paperback I own:  "Semper Fi Mac, Living Memories
of the United States Marines in WWII", authored by
Henry Berry, pub by Berkley.

The story is "The Scout and Sniper from the Bronx"
and is about PFC Robert Stiles, 1st Marines, 1st
Division, in his own words.

about the 5th paragraph, pp 79-80.

"...McKelvy got ahold of me for what seemed to be a
routine mission.  Stiles, he said, you know where
company such and such is.  Well, they're catching
hell from a sniper no one can locate.  Everytime
a guy moves, he's fired on. No one has been killed
yet, but they will be.  Go get that bastard!

So I moved over to where the company was and started
moving through that damn konai grass and looking
into the treetops.  I was completely concealed by
the konai yet I had a perfect view of those high
trees. Eventually I saw some movement in one of the
trees.  Pretty soon a head and then a rifle barrel
came into view.  I had my rifle sling nice and tight
and my sight elevation was perfect.  I let one go and,
wham, out of the tree comes the Nip.  I'm not bragging,
but you asked me what I did on the island and that
was part of it.  Whenever one of us did hit a Jap
sniper, we were supposed to search the corpse for any
papers or unit identification.
My God, I started going through the dead Jap's
blouse and I ran into breasts!  Much to my utter
amazement, the sniper was a woman.  I don't know what
the records say, but the Japanese had at least one
female sniper on the island. I know. I shot her. ..."

Robert Stiles was around 70 years old when this book
was first printed in 1982.

regards,

Robert Hohlt, Jr.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 16:20:47 CDT
From:    Robert Hohlt <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO:YAP ISLAND

Hello again:

My scuba diving buddies and associates that have been to
YAP say that there are several Japanese WWII aircraft (wrecks?)
still(?) at the airport there?

Can anyone confirm this?  Perhaps Mr. Ben Frank?

Robert Hohlt, Jr.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 17:13:42 -0500
From:    Sean Watson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: Poem by John Magee- "High Flight"

On Wed, 10 Aug 1994, Robert Hohlt wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> Isn't this "High Flight" poem by John Magee the same one that
> the crewman was quoting in "Memphis Belle" the remake?
>
> I can't remember seeing the original "Memphis Belle".
>
> If I am mistaken then 1001 pardons ....:^).
>

        As a new subscriber to this list, I missed the original
discussion of this poem.  However, as an English major, I do remember
that the poem quoted in Memphis Belle was An Irish Airman Foresees His
Death written I believe by Yeats (or was it Keats?) about a relative's son
who was killed in the great air war over Europe.
        I can't confirm any of this information other than the poem's
title until I get home and look it up.  However, I think I do remember
the poem from studying it a year or so ago.

        I know that I shall meet my fate,
        Somewhere among the clouds above.
        Those that I fight, I do not hate.
        Those I guard, I do not love.

        My country is Kiltartan's Cross,
        My countrymen Kiltartan's poor.
        No likely end would bring them loss,
        Or leave them happier than before.

        Nor law nor duty bade me fight,
        Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
        A lonely impulse of delight,
        Drove to this tumult in the clouds.

        I balanced all, brought all to mind,
        The years to come seem waste of breath,
        A waste of breath, the years behind,
        In balance with this life, this death.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 18:28:59 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INFO:YAP ISLAND

>
> My scuba diving buddies and associates that have been to
> YAP say that there are several Japanese WWII aircraft (wrecks?)
> still(?) at the airport there?

Robt Mikesh shows a Zero at New Ireland, but dang if I can find New
Ireland in my atlas. If Mikesh doesn't have it, I suspect it's a wreck or
possibly a legend.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 15:48:26 -0600
From:    Tony Schuler <[email-masked]>
Subject: WSJ--Wednesday

Saw this in the Wall Street Journal today.

"Austrian workers found a US-made World War II bomb in the Danube River
in central Vienna, causing bathers seeking relief from a heat wave to
scurry and traffic to be diverted. The 550-pubd bomb was taken to a remote
spot and detonated."

Any estimates of unexploded bombs around today?

Tony Schuler
UWStout.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 19:17:36 PDT
From:    Jim Brady <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: POW's on the World Wide Web

---------------Original Message---------------
Hello:

The Oregon State University Archives have an exhibit on farm labor during
the war here on the home front.  If you have access to Mosaic and the Web,
the document URL is:

http://159.121.28.251

To go directly to the POW portion of the exhibit:

http://159.121.28.251/osupow.html

It's very interesting--it seemed to be mostly German POW's working in Oregon.

Andrea Bean
Houston, Texas

----------End of Original Message----------

 "The Turkey War", by David Unger, is a commendable and interesting novel
concerning the tale of some German POWs and even local Army corruption in a
small western town. Vivid, and if memory serves, an accurately researched
account of an actual set of incidents.... For your consideration, while we were on
the topic.

-- Jim Brady

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 17:49:04 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WSJ--Wednesday

Tony,

>Saw this in the Wall Street Journal today.
>
>"Austrian workers found a US-made World War II bomb in the Danube River
>in central Vienna, causing bathers seeking relief from a heat wave to
>scurry and traffic to be diverted. The 550-pubd bomb was taken to a remote
>spot and detonated."
>
>Any estimates of unexploded bombs around today?
>
>Tony Schuler
>UWStout.edu

We covered some of this some time ago, but briefly, there was an article in
The Smithsonian Magazine that talked about cleaning up in France from WWI!
The acres of land still off limits, the tons of explosives still around,
and the number of people killed by them is staggering.  I can easily dig up
the article if there is interest.

John Riegsecker                                 (206) 756-3566
Dept of Math and Computer Science               [email-masked]
University of Puget Sound

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 21:14:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 11 AUG 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 11 AUGUST 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  F-6, North American Mustang
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 5 B-25s bomb an encampment area
and underground shelters at Kadu; 4 others abort because of bad weather; 6
P-40s attack a Japanese-occupied temple at Shwekyina and Japanese HQ at
Bhamo.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 23 B-24s bomb Changsha, 16 B-25s
pound Hengyang and 40+ P-51s and P-40s bomb bridges, villages, warehouses,
trucks, troops, and other targets of opportunity in the Hengyang area; 26
P-40s attack targets of opportunity at or near Chuting, Puchou, and
Yungfengshih.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Three missions are flown today
(numbers in parenthesis indicate number of bombers attacking the target).
  Mission 541: 660 bombers and 300+ fighters are dispatched to attack 13
marshalling yards, fuel dumps, airfields, and targets of opportunity, in NE
France and the Paris area; 4 bombers are lost:
  1. 157 B-17s are dispatched to attack Belfort (76) and Mulhouse (76)
marshalling yards and 1 B-17 hit a target of opportunity; 16 B-17s are
damaged.
  2. Of 141 B-24s, 47 hit Coulommiers Airfield, 36 hit Pacy-sur-Armancon and
34 hit St Florentin; 5 B-24s are damaged.
  3. 76 of 77 B-17s hit Villacoublay aircraft depot; 1 B-17 is lost and 17
damaged; 1 airman is WIA and 9 MIA.
  4. 45 of 65 B-24s dispatched hit Toussus le Noble Airfield; 9 others hit
Orleans/Saran Airfield; 1 B-24 is damaged.
  5. Of 220 B-24s, 66 hit Strasbourg fuel dump; marshalling yards at
Strasbourg (65) and Saarbrucken (60); Nivelles Airfield (10) and 1 hits a
target of opportunity; 3 B-24s are lost and 112 damaged; 7 airman are KIA, 7
WIA and 19 MIA.
  Mission 542: 275 of 294 B-17s attack 23 arsenal areas, barracks, concrete
emplacements and heavy artillery posts in and around Brest, France; 1 B-17 is
lost and 37 damaged.
  Mission 541 and 542 are escorted by 356 P-38s and P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost and
1 damaged beyond repair; 1 pilot is WIA and 1 MIA.
  Mission 543: 1 of 2 B-17s flies a Micro H test against La Chenaie rail
bridge. Escort is provided by 7 of 8 P-47s.
  Mission 544: 6 of 6 B-17s drop leaflets in Franc during the night.
  165 of 180 P-47s fly a fighter sweep of the Paris area; they claim 3-0-0
Luftwaffe aircraft in the air and 2-0-0 on the ground.
  28 of 31 B-24s fly CARPETBAGGER missions in France.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, A-20s and B-26s attack
bridges at Montrichard, Oissel, Fismes, and Creil/Saint-Maximin, gun defenses
at Ile de Cezembre and Saint-Malo, and an ammunition dump at Foret de
Roumare; fighters cover the assault area, escort IX Bomber Command aircraft,
and fly armed reconnaissance in the battle area and extensively over N
France; HQ 10th Photographic Group (Reconnaissance) and the 12th Tactical
Reconnaissance Squadron and 34th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron move
from Chalgrove, England, Le Molay and Chalgrove respectively, to Rennes with
F-6s and F-5s; the 153d Liaison Squadron, IX Tactical Air Command (attached
to First Army), moves from Canisy to St Pois with L-5s; and the 353d Fighter
Squadron, 354th Fighter Group, moves from Cricqueville to Gael with P-51s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): The 27th and 71st Fighter
Squadrons, 1st Fighter Group, based at Salsola Airfield with P-38s, Italy,
send detachments to operate from Aghione, Corsica for 10 days

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): B-25s, B-26s, and P-47s strike gun
positions along the French and Italian coasts W of Genoa as the Operation
DRAGOON assault force begins a movement from the Naples area toward targets
in S France.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA, Seventh Air Force): Makin Island based B-25s hit
Ponape Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In New Guinea,
A-20s hit shipping off Urarom and in Wandammen Bay and barges and a radar
station along the coast of Geelvink Bay; A-20s pound Japanese HQ and bivouac
areas S of Sawar, A-20s and B-25s bomb forces at Haur village while P-39s hit
the Kairiru Island barge terminal, coastal guns at several points, and
troops, supplies, and buildings from But to Rocky Point; the 2d Bombardment
Squadron (Heavy), 22d Bombardment Group (Heavy), moves from Nadzab to Owi,
Schouten Islands with B-24s; and the 8th Photographic Reconnaissance
Squadron, 6th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, based at Nadzab, begins
operating from Biak Island with F-5s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 22:16:23 -0400
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WSJ--Wednesday

>
> Saw this in the Wall Street Journal today.
>
> "Austrian workers found a US-made World War II bomb in the Danube River
> in central Vienna, causing bathers seeking relief from a heat wave to
> scurry and traffic to be diverted. The 550-pubd bomb was taken to a remote
> spot and detonated."
>
> Any estimates of unexploded bombs around today?

Here's a hint.  I'd be more inclined to take a job testing syringes for HIV
by sticking myself with them, than being a farmer around Verdun....

You have the fascinating potential for plowing up a mustard gas shell and
backing over an HE shell trying to get away from it....

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 1994 22:37:17 -0500
From:    Larry & Kim Jewell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Documentary

Forwarded from soc.history.war.world-war-ii (please reply to the
address at the end of the file. LWJ
>
>We are currently putting together a hour length documentary covering the
>War in Europe and the Home front from thanksgiving 1944 to Jan. 1st 1945.
>
>The hour will attempt attempt to recapture the history and feeling of the
>era in both Europe and at home.  As part of this effort, we are looking for
>people with interesting stories to tell....
>
>- How was you 1944 Christmas?
>- Were you separated from your family?
>- Was any of your family overseas?
>- Did your family know where you were? or if you were even alive?
>- what happened to your husband/wife?
>- How did the "Battle of the Bulge" affect you?
>
>also (because this is for video)...
>The more letters, photos, home movies, diaries you would be willing to
>share....the better.
>
>Send replies or questions to [email-masked].
>
>Thanks
>

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 9 Aug 1994 to 10 Aug 1994
************************************************