Subject: WWII-L Digest - 1 Sep 1994 to 2 Sep 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 1994 00:01:58 -0400

There are 50 messages totalling 1418 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. ADMIN: Going on autopilot
  2. FW: GEN: MAINLY ... (2)
  3. Oops HMS Kelly
  4. MEDIA: Smithsonian Exhibit (2)
  5. Question for Henry S.:  What was the book, again? (2)
  6. ADMIN: PLEASE READ
  7. WEAP: Montana Class (was German "H-Class" battleships)
  8. WEAP: Concrete ships
  9. 50TH: SOVIET TROOPS WITHDRAW FROM EAST GERMANY (2)
 10. U.S. "war plans" for the Pacific (2)
 11. HOMEFRONT- Japanese
 12. Comments re continuation of MONTANA class BBs (2)
 13. [INF] USAAF 2 SEP 44 (2)
 14. Newborn Airborne!
 15. Need source for videotape of movie
 16. Airshow, anyone? (2)
 17. Ack!
 18. INF: 50 Years Ago - 03-SEP-1944
 19. WEAP: Concrete Ships
 20. US MARINE PUBS
 21. WEAP: Enola Gay
 22. WEAP: MONTANA CLAS
 23. 50TH: SOVIET TROOPS WI
 24. GEN: ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS (2)
 25. GEN: INFORMATION ON AIR FORCE HEADQUARTERS IN AFRICA?
 26. German War Crime Trials (3)
 27. Liberation of Paris
 28. GEN: INFORMATION ON VET PUBLICATION?
 29. German Invasion of Norway (2)
 30. Free French Forces (2)
 31. WWII Torpedo Destruction Figures
 32. Hammelburg Debacle
 33. Learned a lot:  Information from doomed garrisons ... ships
 34. U.S. 'war plans' for the Pacific
 35. 50TH: LIBERATION OF PARIS
 36. REF: Hemingway articles?
 37. (War Crimes) U.S. 'war plans' for the Pacific

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 07:30:51 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Going on autopilot

Joe Barone, WWII-L listowner explains;

>        I've just been notified of a death in my family which will require
>me to be away from Internet access over this Labor Day weekend.  As a
>result, I won't be able to help with any problems that might arise.  I
>should be back by next Wednesday (there is some serious driving involved
>forcing the long hiatus).  I would appreciate everyone's cooperation in
>allowing the list to run smoothly.  Thank you.

Mucho condolences, sorry to hear the bad news.

I won't even post anything political while you're gone.

                                                                Steve

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 01:41:42 EDT
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: FW: GEN: MAINLY ...

HI Folks,
Unfortunately discussions of the relocation of the Japanese from the
exclusion zones on the West Coast generally degenerates into flames. I
certainly don't want to start anything again. But I do have the official
report prepared by the commanding general, Gen Dewitt, that gives a
tremendous detailed picture of the entire process. It is full of statistical
table, charts, graphs, maps, photos andaccounts of who did what and when etc.
 There are many data on the age, sex and place of birth of the Japanese.
Posting the info would take a bit of doing, but it might dispell some myths.
A total of 117,116 persons were evacuated to Assembly or Relocatin centers,
or migratedfrm the area etc between 2 March and Oct 31 1942. of these 110723
entered assembly or relocation centers and 6,393 did not.  The initial
exclusion order proposed voluntary movement and about 4889 individuals did
move east voluntarily before it became evident that this was not going to be
practical, fora number of reasons spelled out in the report. Actually over
10,000 submitted cards indicating they planned on voluntary movement, but as
the figures show only 4889 did so move.
The population was about 64% native born and 36% foreign born, but of the
adults it was 64% foreign born and 36% native born (ie in US). However it was
typical for young Japanese to be sent back to Japan for schooling, thus much
of the proJapan sentiment was actually in the younger set, born in the US but
educated in Japan. Among the fervently nationalist organizations that were
active were the Hokubei Butoku Kai or Military Virtue Society of North
America, organized in 1931. This organization promoted Bushido among the
Japanese throughout North America. Another was the Heimusha Kai, which mostly
collected donations from America to support the Japanese war effort during
the 30's. It was organized in San Francisco Oct 24, 1937 and had at least
10,000 members by 1940. Then there was the Zaibei Ikuei Kai (Society for
Education of the Second Generation in America) which was set up in Los
Angeles in April 1940. There were 248 schools with a faculty of 454 and
student body of 17,800 in California alone. The Japanese language textbooks
used in these schools were edited by the Department of Education of the
Japanese Imperial Government.
The average age for American born Japanese returning to the US was 17.5 years
and they had average of 7.4 years of formal schooling in Japan prior to
return.
Well the data goes on and on, but this should sufice to indicate that the
process was much more complex than it is said to be in the popular press
today.
I can prepare more information as desired but anyone can get their copy from
a library of the book
Final Report Japanese Evaculation from the West Coast 1942, US Gov Print
Office Washington 1943.

best wishes

john sloan

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 13:08:38 +1523847
From:    Kevin Noonan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Oops HMS Kelly

Sorry folks   My question about HMS Kelly stands but I suddenly noticed I
typed David McLean   when I meant David Lean :(

Kevin Noonan
[email-masked]

After all is said and done, sit down

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 21:19:46 CDT
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: Smithsonian Exhibit

> James E. Irwin wrote:
>
> >    The exhibit, which will include the front fuselage of the Enola
> > Gay, the B-29 that dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima on Aug.
> > 6, 1945, had already been revised once in response to the criticism.
>
> Why only "the front fuselage"? What will they do with the rest of the
> bomber? Just surprised,

The aircraft is still in restoration, but hasn't been completed or
assembled.  The Smithsonian focused all (most) effort on the forward
fuselage so it would be ready for this exhbit.

The assembled Enola Gay is supposed to go on display at the as-of-yet
unbuilt facility at Dulles, if I recall correctly.

--
Robert J. Granvin                                    Southern Minnesota Wing
[email-masked]                                       Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 20:54:57 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Question for Henry S.:  What was the book, again?

OK, Henry, if you're going to be "difficult" -- :-) --
  WHAT was the author/title again?

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 20:53:20 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: PLEASE READ

Should controversy be taboo on *any* list, Joe?  Or is this
  just an unpopularity (of views) contest?

Are there some members who *have* to bring up/*read* (or at
  least see) a msg, before they can D(elete) it?

Any of us should be free to say anything, as long as it is
  somehow related to WWII.  If reactionaries want to argue
  something contemporary ad nauseum, let them back-channel.

Maybe it's my time in Alaska, but Lower-48ers spend/waste an
  awful lot of time (and stifle an awful lot of creativity)
  "taking offense."

I've earned my views.  If someone else's views don't agree
  with mine, I can live with it.

Are the PCers on this list forbidden to say anything
  inflammatory as well, Joe?

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 18:42:58 -0700
From:    Ed Kettler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Montana Class (was German "H-Class" battleships)

The Japanese, like the Americans, learned a lot during WW2.  Information
from doomed garrisons was used to prepare island bases for the "steel
typhoons" which characteriszed amphibious operations.  Larger land
masses, such as the Marianas and the Bonins offered better defensive
terrain than the small and flat atoll islands, which the Japanese used to
great effect.  When you can't reach the target with shells or bombs, then
you have to resort to infantry and tanks to destroy the enemy.  I have
heard the technique called "blowtorch and corkscrew" (flamethrower and
satchel charge).

Ed Kettler                                       [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 18:06:15 -0800
From:    Julian E Gomez <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Concrete ships

>Last week or so, someone had a message about concrete ships.  In a
>...
>(including a photograph) along with a discussion about the controversy
>over their design and use.

Just curious... how much controversy can you get over a subject like this?
Seems to me the important questions are how well does it float and take
battle damage, not what it's made of.

"I was a precocious child and obviously destined to be a scientist."

        Dr. Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
        Apple Computer, Inc.  408/862-1289 or 996-1010
        [email-masked]  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 20:56:54 -0400
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: SOVIET TROOPS WITHDRAW FROM EAST GERMANY

On Thu, 1 Sep 1994 [email-masked] wrote:

> Terry asks how do I see Soviet troops taking Berlin, _liberating_
> or otherwise.  I am in no way sympathetic to the Nazis or their
> government but no matter who the foreign power was, Soviets, Americans,
> British, etc., I do not see any of us _liberating_ German territory.
> We liberated France from its occupiers, we _conquered_ Germany and
> Berlin.  Similarly we did not liberate Japan, we occupied it and
> we can all be glad that our fathers, brothers, selves, did not have
> conquer it.
Sorry Brad, guess I should have read all of my messages before I replied
to your first post. Cheers,
David Rising

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 20:55:11 -0400
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U.S. "war plans" for the Pacific

> > books in peacetime. While the Germans were sentenced to long years in
> > jail for this, most, if not all, of the Allies were guilty of the same
> > thing.
>
>     I think the answer to this last statement will depend on the
> point of view.
>
>     Terry

Don't get me wrong Terry, I don't think that the Nazi's shouldn't have
been brought to trial. I just think that it would have been more
effective and meaningful had they been tried in German courts by German
judges for German laws (all on the books at the time) which they broke.
The end result would have been the same, but it wouldn't have created any
martyrs. Just my opinion, of course.
David Rising

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 19:52:34 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HOMEFRONT- Japanese

Japanese dockyard workers helped in the "miracle" of the
  YORKTOWN's repair in time for Midway.

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 19:43:35 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Comments re continuation of MONTANA class BBs

Doug,

     I think Marc Mitscher's boys did all the commenting
necessary when they sank MUSASHI and YAMATO.  Even a little
squad of jeep carriers could beat off the Japanese battleline!

     I've heard that Halsey wanted a gun duel between our
IOWAs and the YAMATO, but Mitscher ignored that and sent in
his planes anyway.

     Has anyone else heard this?

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 20:40:59 -0400
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: SOVIET TROOPS WITHDRAW FROM EAST GERMANY

On Thu, 1 Sep 1994 [email-masked] wrote:

> I saw a news broadcast yesterday in which the newscaster spoke of
> Soviet troops _liberating_ Berlin in WW 2.  Makes one wonder just how
> much the media types really know about all of this.

Not to get into this with you Brad (as I agree in this case), but the
Soviet troops din "liberate" Berlin from the Nazis. I imagine you
disagree with this terminology because the Stalin regime was as
reprehensible as the Hitler regime (IMHO). On the other hand, since the
Allies were at war against Germany, _all_ cities taken by Allied armies
were actually _conquered_ and not "liberated". I guess my point is that
whether Berlin was "conquered", "liberated", or "moved from one
repressive dictatorship to another" is a matter of perception, and is not
something concocted by "media types".
David Rising

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Sep 1994 20:37:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 2 SEP 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 2 SEPTEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 8 B-25s hit targets along the
Burma Road S of Wanling, including the road itself and bridges at Kawnghka
and Namhpakka; another B-25 hits an alternate target, an area in Indaw; and
24 B-24s haul fuel to Kunming, China.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 2 B-25s bomb the runway at Hengyang
Airfield; 30 P-40s attack gun positions, troop concentrations, and sampans in
the Hengyang and Changning areas; 20 P-40s hit similar targets S of Changsha,
W of Pengtse, and in the Siangtan area; and 12 P-51s damage a bridge at
Yangtien.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Missin 596: 34 of 36 P-47s strafe
gun positions and road and rail traffic in the Bruges-Ghent-Courtrai-Roulers,
Belgium area; 2 P-47s are damaged beyond repair and 7 are damaged.
  2 C-47s fly CARPETBAGGER missions to France.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, weather grounds the
bombers; fighters fly armed reconnaissance and area support to ground forces
in Belgium and NW, NE, and E France; HQ IX Tactical Air Command, moving with
HQ US First Army, moves from Haleine to Versailles; the 153d Liaison
Squadron, IX Tactical Air Command, moves from Maillebois to Sy Cyr with L-5s;
the 428th, 429th and 430th Fighter Squadrons, 474th Fighter Group, move from
Neuilly to St Marceau with P-38s; and the 508th Fighter Squadron, 404th
Fighter Group, moves from Chapelle to Bretigny with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  AAF, MTO: The 72d Liaison Squadron, AAF, MTO (attached to Seventh Army),
moves from Brignoles to Grenoble, France with L-5s.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): HQ XV Fighter Command
(Provisional) is activated and given control of the 306th Fighter Wing and
it's 7 fighter groups; in Yugoslavia, 380+ B-24s hit the Kraljevo railroad
bridge and marshalling yard, a railroad bridge at Mitrovica, road a bridge at
Supovac, and 3 marshalling yards at Nish; 27 P-38s dive-bomb the Cuprija road
bridge while 57 P-38s and 112 P-51s strafe roads and railways in the Nish and
Belgrade areas; other P-51s escort Nish and Supovac bombing missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, B-25s bomb 3 bridges in
the Po Valley, following a raid during the night of 1/2 Sep by A-20s which
hit a pontoon bridge and targets of opportunity in the Valley; and fighter-
bombers blast roads, bridges and gun emplacements in Po Valley, docks at
Savona, and shipping off shore. In France, fighter-bombers, hampered by poor
weather, hit barracks and rail lines in the Lyon area; and HQ 324th Fighter
Group moves from Le Luc to Istres.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 2 Saipan Island-based B-24s hit Yap and Pagan
Islands. P-47s hit AA positions on Pagan Island with rocket and strafing
attacks. Marshall Islands-based B-25s bomb Ponape Island, Caroline Islands
and Nauru Island, Gilbert Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: On Mindanao Island,
24 B-24s bomb supply and personnel areas  at Lasang, 12 B-24s hit shipyards
and personnel areas at Bunawan, and 22 B-24s hit Likanan Airfield.  B-25s hit
warehouses and shipyards along Lembeh Strait, while other B-25s hit a
position near Pitoe Airfield on S Morotai Island, Moluccas Islands. B-24s
bomb Koror Island, Palau Islands. In New Guinea, fighter-bombers hit the
Sorong area and forces at Cape Pus and Boikin.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

02/0040Z SEP

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 07:33:51 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Newborn Airborne!

Hello, Alan!

Congratulations!!

Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 31 Aug 1994 14:28:10 EDT
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Need source for videotape of movie

Does anyone on the list know where I can find a videotape of the
1948 movie "Fighter Squadron"?  According to Leonard Maltin's
"TV Movie Guide", the movies starred Edmund O'Brien and Robert
Stack, and was also Rock Hudson's first movie.  The guide indicates
that the movie was a cliche-filled action/drama about a WWII fighter
squadron (flying P-47s), but with good action sequences.  I believe
that color footage from a 15th AF P-47 group in Italy was used in
the film.

An acquaintance is looking for a copy of the film and has not
been able to find a source.  Unless you think it is of general
interest to the WWII-L, please post any replies directly to me.

Thanks in advance....

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 31 Aug 1994 14:52:51 EDT
From:    "Dennis E. Sparks" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Airshow, anyone?

Is anyone else on the list planning to attend the 2nd International
Aviation Heritage Airshow at the Clark county, Indiana airport?
Clark county is just across the Ohio River from Louisville, Kentucky
(take exit #4 off I-65), and the show is 9-5 on Sunday and Monday
(3-4 September).  Tickets are $8 (adults) and $6 (children).

At last year's show, host Charles Osborn flew his immaculate P-47
"Big Ass Bird", his P-51D "Hurry Home Honey", and had his partially
rebuilt F4U on static display.  There were a total of eight P-51s
flying; plus Geneseo's B-17 "Fuddy Duddy", C-47, and B-25, two F4Us,
an FM-2 Wildcat, a PV-2 Harpoon, a second B-25.  A C-121 Connie was
also among the static displays.  Former Mustang aces Chuck Yeager,
Robin Olds, "Pete" Peterson, and Tom Hayes made flights and signed
autographs.

I plan to be there for the Sunday show, and would like to meet
anyone else from the list who plans to attend.

Dennis E. Sparks
[email-masked]
Lexington, Kentucky
(606) 873-8827 (home)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 08:48:26 EDT
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ack!

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  02-Sep-1994 08:45am EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Ack!

    Joe,
         I've misplaced my copy of the intro with instructions on how to go
    NO MAIL. Could you help please, just this once?  Thanks.

    Doug McCabe

Received:  02-Sep-1994 08:48am

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 05:48:17 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 03-SEP-1944

On 03-SEP-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The British XXX Corps liberates Brussels. At this point the
Allied front runs from the mouth of the Somme in the north to Troyes in the
south along the line Lille-Brussels-Mons-Sedan-Verdun-Commercy. In the south,
the French 1st Infantry Division enters Lyons. Most of the German 19th army
has been withdrawn. The German 1st Army, manning the Bay of Biscay, has also
been withdrawn from southwest France. 130,000 German soldiers have succeeded
in rejoing Army Group B, but 80,000 others have been taken prisoner.

Italian Front - Canadian units cross the Conca and continue their advance.

Wake Island - RADM A.E. Smith leads a task force of 1 carrier, 3 cruisers and
3 destroyers in a strike against Wake Island.

Foreign Affairs
---------------
Soviet-Finnish Truce - Helsinki reports that an agreement has been made to
cease fighting at 9 a.m. Sept. 4. Stockholm reports that German troops have
already begun evacuating northern Finland.

The Homefront
-------------
Congressional Medal Awarded - A posthumous award of the Congressional Medal of
Honor has been made to Captain Arlo L. Olson, Baton Rouge, La., infantry
company commander fatally wounded in Italy last Oct. 13 on a reconnaissance
mission.

Light Cruiser Launced - The light cruiser Tuscan is launched at the Bethlehem
Stell Co. yard, San Francisco.

New War Equipment Shown - The Army has exhibited some new weapons and
equipment at the Aberdeen, Md. proving grounds. The M-18 "Hellcat" tank
destroyer has a speed of 55 miles an hour and can knock out most enemy tanks
with its 76-mm cannon. The M-36 tank destroyer, armed with a 90-mm gun, can
stop the biggest enemy tanks. The M-24 is a new 19-ton tank with a 75-mm gun,
speed of 35 miles an hour and a 160-mile range. The "Locust" is a baby
airborne tank which goes into action from gliders and troop transports.
Designed especially for the Pacific war, the M-29C, amphibious troop and cargo
carrier called the "Water Weasel" can go nearly anywhere at hgh spped.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 07:39:31 PDT
From:    Jim Brady <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: FW: GEN: MAINLY ...

---------------Original Message---------------
HI Folks,
Well the data goes on and on, but this should sufice to indicate that the
process was much more complex than it is said to be in the popular press
today.
I can prepare more information as desired but anyone can get their copy from
a library of the book
Final Report Japanese Evaculation from the West Coast 1942, US Gov Print
Office Washington 1943.

best wishes

john sloan
----------End of Original Message----------

John,

   Thanks for getting some authoritative information. This should be invaluable to
have on hand when the popular press does anniversary or special features on
the subject.

-- Jim Brady

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 09:12:34 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Concrete Ships

     Dr. Julian

     >Just curious... how much controversy can you get over a subject
     >like this? Seems to me the important questions are how well does
     >it float and take battle damage, not what it's made of.

          At the time, the controversy was over the method of ship
     consturction.  Ships were to be made "the old fashioned way"  Lay a
     keel, build up from the keel, etc.  Ships poured from concrete molds,
     and ships built in complete sections then joined together (Kaiser
     Jeeps) just didn't fulfill ancient maritime tradition.

        Steve L. New                     .............................
        Weapon System Manager            .............................
        Battalion Countermine Set        ............ /\ .............
        U.S. Army TACOM AMSTA-FR1D       ............/  \.............
        DSN: 786-5403  FAX: 786-7788     ............    .............
        EMAIL  [email-masked]   ............    .............

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 08:40:54 EST
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Comments re continuation of MONTANA class BBs

Lou asks about Halsey wanting a Yamato/Iowa matchup.  I am
guessing that you are referring to the Yamato's last mission??
I just finished reading _A Glorious Way to Die_ (sorry I am bad
about authors) and if I recall correctly, the BBs sent north to
intercept the Yamato  were the older ships under Admiral Deyo.  I
believe that column consisted of ships such as the Colorado, Tennessee,
etc.
Anyone out there who knows exactly the composition of Deyo's BB
force?
*****************************************************
(Roger) Brad Coon             The right to defend
[email-masked]          one's self and one's
[email-masked]    family against harm and
                              injustice is the most
                              basic civil right.

Proud to be a member of America's largest civil rights
group, the National Rifle Association.
******************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 09:51:27 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: US MARINE PUBS

The Marine Corps WWII commemorative pamphlets are available for sale by GPO.
Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 08:48:13 -0500
From:    "Sidney W. Kitchel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Enola Gay

Jorge Merino writes to the list:
>James E. Irwin wrote:
>
>>    But Tibbets, 79, said he was unhappy that the exhibit still will
>> include only a part, the front fuselage, of the Enola Gay, the B-29
>> that dropped the world's first A-bomb, on Hiroshima on Aug. 6, 1945.
>>    By displaying the bomber without its wings or other parts, the
>> museum will "disgrace" it, he said in a telephone interview. "I think
>> there should be a modification made there."
>
>I completely agree with Tibbets. It sounds ridiculous to exhibit such a
>famed aircraft without wings, like a hunted animal. I think this B-29
>should be treated with more respect. If there are space problems, there
>must be an alternative solution that could allow to exhibit the bomber
>"complete". I hope the plans for this exhibit will be reviewed.
>Just defending a WW2 warbird,

        It may not be just space. Obviously a completely restored B-29
will take up plenty of room. The eventual permanent display will be a
rather large venue at Dulles. However, it sounds to me like NASM is
working with what they've got. For quite a while Enola Gay's wings
have been off and the fuselage has been in two large pieces. Possibly
the 50 year mark has come and the Paul Garber restoration crew has not
finished their work. Thus the only available Enola Gay is in several
pieces.
                                                        --Sid
--
Sidney W. Kitchel           [email-masked], [email-masked]
Data Parallel Systems, Inc.  ============||  DPSI  ||===============
4617 E. Morningside Drive                             (812) 334-8100
Bloomington, Indiana,  47408  USA               FAX:  (812) 334-8121

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:23:29 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: MONTANA CLAS

The problem at Iwo was that the Navy refused to provide the number of days of
prelanding naval bombardment wanted by the V Amphibious Corps. This matter was
exacerbated by the snotty attitude of the naval commanders who felt that they
know how much NGF was sufficient for the operations. They only extended the
time when an up to that time hidden position fired on UDT teams working the
beaches and the obstacles. Further NGF blew away the camouflage of other hidden
positions on Suribachi. The inefficient NGF at Tarawa provided a number of
lessons which were observed in following operations. The NGF support in the
Marshalls was great, and Adm Conolly earned the nickname "Close in" for his
directive that this NGF support ships were to get in close enough to scrape
their keels, almost. Morison covers this well. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:27:32 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: 50TH: SOVIET TROOPS WI

John, after having read all your recent postings, I am firmly convinced you
have the makings of an interesting autobiography in your brain and papers. It
would be an interesting commentary on the times and places in which you lived.
Get to it, put down that first word on paper, and then....Cheers, Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:35:37 CCS
From:    Jorge Merino <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: Smithsonian Exhibit

Robert J. Granvin wrote:

> > Why only "the front fuselage"? What will they do with the rest of the
> > bomber? Just surprised,
>
> The aircraft is still in restoration, but hasn't been completed or
> assembled.  The Smithsonian focused all (most) effort on the forward
> fuselage so it would be ready for this exhbit.
>
> The assembled Enola Gay is supposed to go on display at the as-of-yet
> unbuilt facility at Dulles, if I recall correctly.

Thanks Robert, this explains everything!!

Jorge Merino

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 14:20:26 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS

  September 2, 1994

  HENRY SIROTIN asked whether JFK had been tipped off by the Soviets about the
division of Berlin.  I have never seen any evidence that he was.  However, he
did not need to be.  It was clear to us that the Soviet could not tolerate the
continued refugee flood and would move to cut it off.  The question in our minds
was whether they would divide the city or isolate all of Berlin.  The evidence
for this is a telegram that I drafted and sent to the field several weeks before
August 13.
  The trouble was that the focus of our planning was on what would happen if the
Soviet turned ground access to Berlin over to the east Germans.  As a result,
there was almost no planning for the division of city.  Hence, we did not
anticipate the terrible psychological problem this would pose for the west
Berliners.  The result, as usual, was improvisation.  JFK sent VP Johnson to
Berlin, plus another brigade of troops.  The latter caused us problems later,
but that is another story.

  MIKE YAKLICH asked about books in English about the invasion of Norway.  The
best one I know is was written by a Frenchman, Francois Kersaudy.  The English
title is NORWAY 1940.  It has a bibliography and has the advantage that it
covers what was going on in Berlin, Paris, and London, as well as in Norway.
Norwegian friends who were involved recommend it.

  WES SPRAGUE asks about Hemingway's writings on the war.  In fact, he wrote a
fair amount.  His articles for PM and COLLIERS can be found in HEMINGWAY BY-
LINE, edited by William White and published in pocket book by Grafton.
Unfortunately,he never wrote a novel about WWII as good as FAREWELL TO ARMS or
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS.  Although ACROSS THE RIVER AND INTO THE TREES is a
terrible novel, it has some good descriptions of battle.  These include the
Huertgen Forest hell.  The trouble was that he had the hero tell the story to
a young girl, who was asleep beside him in bed.  (He was at that time infatuated
with an Italian girl.)

  Hemingway spent quite a bit of time with the 4th Division.  The best
description of this experience I have seen is in Carlos Baker's biography of
him.  This is based primarily on interviews with Col. Buck Lanham, commander of
the 4th's 22nd Regiment, with whom Hemingway (and later Baker) became a good
friend.

  Those of you who have read my book LETTERS HOME know that I have a chapter
about Hemingway and Ernie Pyle, who also spent time with the 4th, with the title
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING ERNEST.  (Couldn't resist it.)

  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 22:59:34 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: INFORMATION ON AIR FORCE HEADQUARTERS IN AFRICA?

  September 2, 1994
  For a period, during the last half of 1943, my father was a rail bombing
officer at the Air Force headquarters commanded by Brig. Gen. Norstad, at La
Marsa, near Tunis.  I believe the field was called MacNaff.  His job was to pick
rail targets, presumably in Italy but I am not sure of this.
  Could tell me a bit about this headquarters?
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 11:09:12 EDT
From:    Jerry Kasiowniak <[email-masked]>
Subject: German War Crime Trials

>FROM:         DAVID RISING <[email-masked]>

>DON'T GET ME WRONG TERRY, I DON'T THINK THAT THE NAZI'S SHOULDN'T HAVE
>BEEN BROUGHT TO TRIAL. I JUST THINK THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE
>EFFECTIVE AND MEANINGFUL HAD THEY BEEN TRIED IN GERMAN COURTS BY GERMAN
>JUDGES FOR GERMAN LAWS (ALL ON THE BOOKS AT THE TIME) WHICH THEY BROKE.
>THE END RESULT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE SAME, BUT IT WOULDN'T HAVE CREATED ANY
>MARTYRS. JUST MY OPINION, OF COURSE.
>DAVID RISING

Germans judging Germans was tried after the first War and the results
left a bitter feeling with the Allies.

After WWII, the German judicial system was so nazified I cannot believe
any nazi would have been given a fair trial within the existing court
system. The most effective and meaningful way to try the nazis was
by the victorious Allies.

Jerry Kasiowniak
Wayne State University

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 12:41:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Liberation of Paris

The following Letter to the Editor appeared in the September 2, 1994 issue
of the NEW YORK TIMES.  I am acting as a reporter; I neither agree nor
disagree with this letter!

Jack McKillop

WHO LIBERATED PARIS?

To the Editor:
If your reporter had read "A Soldier's Story," by Gen. Omar N. Bradley,
he's know that iw was the United States Fourth Infantry Division that was
ordered into Paris.

I was in the Fourth from D-Day to the end of the war in Europe.  On the
rush across France, I saw tank after tank with the Cross of Lorraine on it
parked outside of farmhouses.  The crews were visiting while we went
forward.

William E. Finnigan
Cornwall-on-Hudson, N.Y.
Aug. 26, 1994

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 3 Sep 1994 00:25:06 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: INFORMATION ON VET PUBLICATION?

  September 2, 1994
  I am trying to get in touch with the editor of The Military Railway Journal
and/or The Ex-CBI Roundup.  The MR Journal is or was the publication of the
National Military Railway Service Veterans.  The Roundup is or was the
publication of the China-Burma-India Veterans Association.
  The last address I have for these publications was in Laurens, Ohio in 1975.
I called the number listed in one of the publications, but it is now assigned to
someone else.
  Can anyone help me with this?  A telephone and/or fax number would be most
helpful, but I would also appreciate even an address.
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 13:20:22 -0500
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German Invasion of Norway

        Thanks to John and Tim for their suggestions on WW2 in Norway.  One
more question for John Ausland.  I recently came across a book entitled "Norsk
Krig 1940-45" a three-volume set published in 1947 which has the appearance of
an official history.   Lots of interesting photographs, but the problem (for
me) is that its in Norwegian.  From your vantage point over there, you wouldn't
happen to know if there's an English version, by any chance?  (I can decipher a
surprising amount of the text, partly due to the similarities to English and
partly from a knowledge of a lot of German military terms--a "haubitze" by any
other name is still a howitzer--but its slow and I'm sure I'm missing a lot).
Thanks for your help, its a real privelege from a historian's point of view to
have a person such as yourself with so much first-hand insight available on
this list.

        I'd like to join the others on the list in expressing my condolences to
Joe Barone for his recent loss.

Regards

Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 12:37:04 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U.S. "war plans" for the Pacific

Hello, David!

Thanks for your timely reply.

> The end result would have been the same, but it wouldn't have created any
> martyrs. Just my opinion, of course.

    I agree with that. In fact, I think the Allies were too lenient
on some such as Speer, and too harsh on others, such as Admiral
Doenitz. I think German courts would have been tougher, reference,
Fritsche, Papen, and Schacht who were acquitte at Nuremberg but spent
years in jail as a result of being tried in German de-
Nazification courts. Their toughness may have been politically
motivated, but, as you say, the end result would have been the same.

    Thanks, again, David.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 12:57:07 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Free French Forces

Hello, Robert!

Will offer my two cents' worth on this.

> What are the international rules (if any) for countries that capitulate?

    When a country capitulates that is it. The conquering power may
set-up or devise any sort of government it wishes, and so on, at the
discretion of the conqueror.

> When a country surrenders does it null any state or declaration of war
> present at the time?

    Yes. However, underground resistance groups may arise, if the
government becomes to repressive.

> When France had reestablished its government did they RE-DECLARE war on
> Germany?

    No. The government-in-exile continued the fight on the continent
that had been waged from the beginning in England. As far as DeGaulle
was concerned, the puppet government set up in Vichy was dissolved
upon German occupation of the area in 1943. Thus, when the Germans
surrendered and DeGaulle entered Paris, as far as DeGaulle was
concerned, the fight was to continue, as a state of war had already
existed while he (DeGaulle) headed up the government-in-exile in
London.

 I know that the Free French forces and the resistance
> were active when France was occupied, but after, when they had their
> country back did they (French government)formally re-declare war on
> Germany, or just continue as if surrender had not happened?

    No. A declaration of war was not necessary. The same cannot be
said of the Italians, as you know, after Mussolini was ousted from
power in September 1943.

    It must also be remembered that France was the only country which
fought against Germany that signed a peace treaty with them. This, in
itself, made France a special case.

    Hope this helps, Robert.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 13:01:26 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Torpedo Destruction Figures

Hello, Robert!

You might try Clay Blair's book that chronicles every American sub
patrol. I am sure that that info would be contained in an appendix. I
am sorry that I can't think of the title. I think it is something
like "The Silent Service" but I can't be certain. It is the most
detailed work of any I have seen on this subject.

Hope this helps.

Terry

 > Can anyone out there help, either with specific statistics
or with
> sources?  (I can't believe that I haven't such figures in my reference
> books; maybe I'm not looking at the right index item.)
>
> ======================================================================
> Robert Gannon              |  Internet:  [email-masked]
> 35 Burrowes Building       |  Phone:     814 355-4800 or
> Penn State                 |             814 355-0943
> University Park, PA 16802  |  Fax:       814 863-7285
>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 13:22:25 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Hammelburg Debacle

Hello, Ron!

There is one book I would recommend. It is called "48 Hours to
Hammelburg" (I can't think of the author's name.) It came out in
paperback some years ago, but goes into great detail on that episode.

I have seen it referred to in others and even discussed, but only
peripherally.

 Hope this helps.

 Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 14:39:23 EDT
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Airshow, anyone?

HI all,
with respect to Dennis's remarks about an historical air show in KY, wish I
could make it but.  Went to first of this kind of show I have ever seen just
last weekend at Frederick Maryland and found it was wonderful. They had B17,
Zero's Meserschmidt, P40, P38, P47, b24, B25 and a lot more, but the crowd
pleasers were the reenactment of Pearl Harbor and various bombing attacks
with simulation explosives on the ground and simulated aerial dog fights etc.
 Highly recommended. - take the kids.

john sloan

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 15:23:46 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German War Crime Trials

I am no authority, but I thought that most of what Nazis wer doing in Germany
in WWII was within the law.

Perhaps someone can give some specifics here.

George Bauer
U.S.A.:  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 16:57:22 -0500
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German Invasion of Norway

Oops, my fingers got the best of me again...the title of the book I was looking
for in English is "Norges (not "Norsk") Krig, 1940-45."  It was published in
Oslo by Gyldyndal, authors were Steen and Eskeland.  I am mostly interested
in tactical aspects of the fighting and this volume appears to deal with these
in great detail.  Date of publication is given as 1947-50.  If anyone knows
where I can dig up an English version I'd love to hear from you

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 16:39:37 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Learned a lot:  Information from doomed garrisons ... ships

Steve Andereggen, my friend back in Juneau who is(?) doing a
  book on the ship, ran across reports by CAPT Swenson on the
  effectiveness of his ATLANTA-class ship and its proper
  deployment.

Of course, in the desperate situation in mid-November, JUNEAU
  had to be sacrificed in its secondary role as a super-
  destroyer.

Swenson was quite a fellow, beloved by his crew.  When he was
  beached, he would go off gold prospecting in the Southwest.
  (He was divorced, by the war.)  His son was at Annapolis,
  and Swenson docked there, to show JUNEAU off to the middie
  brigade.

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 16:44:33 CDT
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Question for Henry S.:  What was the book, again?

Dear Lou,

Edward S. Miller, WAR PLAN ORANGE, Annapolis, US Naval Institute Press,
1993 (I think, re the date). This is the US side of it. For the Brits,
interwar, Stephen Roskill published two volumes on British Naval Policy
Between the Wars, an approximate title which came out as volume about
the 1920's which appeared around 1969 and one about the 1930's that
appeared in the late '70's. Complement these with Arthur Marder's two
volumes on British-Japanese naval relationships from 1902-1945. I can
get biblio specifics on the Roskill and Marder if anyone needs them.

By the by, I resent "difficult." I am cruel, nasty, mean, and vicious,
and I work hard at it. Please don't sell me short :-) :-)

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 16:54:01 CDT
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: German War Crime Trials

Re George Bauer and David Rising's earlier post on German legal responsibility
under German law. It's my understanding that the under the post-Reichstag
fire Enabling Act of 1933 virtually everything the Nazis did, at least on
German soil, was legal, and this was one of the reasons for the international
tribunal. We have several law school people on the line, I think. Can anyone
confirm this?

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 17:08:56 CDT
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS

Dear John,

Thanks for the response re Berlin. At the risk of being a pest, what is
"the other story." Amen to Ben Frank's suggestion re an autobiography,
and I'd be happy to wait until then for those details.

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 18:37:31 EDT
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U.S. 'war plans' for the Pacific

>David and Terry were saying,...
>
>Hello, David!
>
>Thanks for your timely reply.
>
>> The end result would have been the same, but it wouldn't have created any
>> martyrs. Just my opinion, of course.
>
>    I agree with that. In fact, I think the Allies were too lenient
>on some such as Speer, and too harsh on others, such as Admiral
>Doenitz...  <stuff deleted>

I understand the reference to Doenitz,... but what complicity does
Albert Speer have with war crimes? As I understand it, he was an
inventor and exec in mfg.

-Al

Alan G. Wild
Admin. Computing
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, R.I.  02881

I am the NRA.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 17:49:11 CDT
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Free French Forces

Thanks to Edward Miller's recent recommendation and the incredibly rapid
response of the U South Carolina Press order dept, I can add an interesting
subsubfootnote to the Free French issue. Two divisions of French colonial
troops and several air squadrons were offered for Operation Coronet,
which would have been the invasion of the Kanto Plain (Tokyo region) in
the Japanese home islands in March 1946. MacArthur turned down the air
power, as the language problem, the large number of US aircraft, and the
tight operational zone added up to trouble, but the troops were being
considered for use in the follow-on phase of the invasion and for future
combat on Honshu, if it developed.

To the best of my knowledge, other than reoccupying Indochina after the
Japanese forces there surrendered to the Chinese, the French military
played no direct role against the Japanese. Individuals did cooperate
(interesting, I almost wrote collaborate) with the OSS in Indochina,
I believe, but I'm hazier on this than I ought to be.

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 18:10:28 CDT
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: LIBERATION OF PARIS

A belated comment that may be of some interest in the pc wars.
Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone deBeauvoir lived together in Paris
throughout the occupation. As I heard it, when their memoirs were published
much later, it appears they were quite active in the resistance.
They were so successful in this activities that not only did they
manage to keep them secret from the Germans and their French allies,
they were able to keep them entirely secret from the rest of the
resistance, as well.

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 20:41:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 2 SEP 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 2 SEPTEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 8 B-25s hit targets along the
Burma Road S of Wanling, including the road itself and bridges at Kawnghka
and Namhpakka; another B-25 hits an alternate target, an area in Indaw; and
24 B-24s haul fuel to Kunming, China.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 2 B-25s bomb the runway at Hengyang
Airfield; 30 P-40s attack gun positions, troop concentrations, and sampans in
the Hengyang and Changning areas; 20 P-40s hit similar targets S of Changsha,
W of Pengtse, and in the Siangtan area; and 12 P-51s damage a bridge at
Yangtien.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Missin 596: 34 of 36 P-47s strafe
gun positions and road and rail traffic in the Bruges-Ghent-Courtrai-Roulers,
Belgium area; 2 P-47s are damaged beyond repair and 7 are damaged.
  2 C-47s fly CARPETBAGGER missions to France.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, weather grounds the
bombers; fighters fly armed reconnaissance and area support to ground forces
in Belgium and NW, NE, and E France; HQ IX Tactical Air Command, moving with
HQ US First Army, moves from Haleine to Versailles; the 153d Liaison
Squadron, IX Tactical Air Command, moves from Maillebois to Sy Cyr with L-5s;
the 428th, 429th and 430th Fighter Squadrons, 474th Fighter Group, move from
Neuilly to St Marceau with P-38s; and the 508th Fighter Squadron, 404th
Fighter Group, moves from Chapelle to Bretigny with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  AAF, MTO: The 72d Liaison Squadron, AAF, MTO (attached to Seventh Army),
moves from Brignoles to Grenoble, France with L-5s.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): HQ XV Fighter Command
(Provisional) is activated and given control of the 306th Fighter Wing and
it's 7 fighter groups; in Yugoslavia, 380+ B-24s hit the Kraljevo railroad
bridge and marshalling yard, a railroad bridge at Mitrovica, road a bridge at
Supovac, and 3 marshalling yards at Nish; 27 P-38s dive-bomb the Cuprija road
bridge while 57 P-38s and 112 P-51s strafe roads and railways in the Nish and
Belgrade areas; other P-51s escort Nish and Supovac bombing missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, B-25s bomb 3 bridges in
the Po Valley, following a raid during the night of 1/2 Sep by A-20s which
hit a pontoon bridge and targets of opportunity in the Valley; and fighter-
bombers blast roads, bridges and gun emplacements in Po Valley, docks at
Savona, and shipping off shore. In France, fighter-bombers, hampered by poor
weather, hit barracks and rail lines in the Lyon area; and HQ 324th Fighter
Group moves from Le Luc to Istres.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 2 Saipan Island-based B-24s hit Yap and Pagan
Islands. P-47s hit AA positions on Pagan Island with rocket and strafing
attacks. Marshall Islands-based B-25s bomb Ponape Island, Caroline Islands
and Nauru Island, Gilbert Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: On Mindanao Island,
24 B-24s bomb supply and personnel areas  at Lasang, 12 B-24s hit shipyards
and personnel areas at Bunawan, and 22 B-24s hit Likanan Airfield.  B-25s hit
warehouses and shipyards along Lembeh Strait, while other B-25s hit a
position near Pitoe Airfield on S Morotai Island, Moluccas Islands. B-24s
bomb Koror Island, Palau Islands. In New Guinea, fighter-bombers hit the
Sorong area and forces at Cape Pus and Boikin.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

02/0043Z SEP

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 23:15:50 -0230
From:    OLAF <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REF: Hemingway articles?

X-News: leif mail.wwii-l:12354

>From: [email-masked] (Wesley Sprague)
>Subject:REF: Hemingway articles?
>Date: 1 Sep 1994 20:37:28 -0230
>Message-ID:<[email-masked]>

>                               - - Mail - -
>         September  1, 1994    3:56pm   MAIL IS -
>   FROM: Wesley Sprague                  Private
>     TO: WW-II
>SUBJECT: REF:  Hemingway articles?
>
>This is my first post, but I've been "lurking" in this list for quite a while
>now.  I've really enjoyed it, so keep up the good work, guys.
>
>My question is does anyone know what, if any articles, books, etc. Ernest
>Hemingway may have written about any aspects of WW II?  In my scattered readings
>I've seen several references to his being in the ETO in 1944 (e.g., at the
>Normandy beaches soon after D-day, at the front in Belgium just before the
>battle of the bulge, etc.).  But in checking a Hemingway bibliography in my
>local library I didn't see anything relating to WWII.  Maybe I missed the
>correct references.
>
>In any case I'd appreciate any leads anyone may have.  Thanks much in advance.
>
>Wes Sprague
>[email-masked]

A number of years ago, Bantam Press published BY-LINE: ERNEST HEMINGWAY,
subtitled "Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades," edited by
William White (NY and Toronto: Bantam Press, 1968). The book included a
selection of Hemingway's columns for various newspapers between 1920
and1956, including the Toronto Star (1920-1923), Esquire (1933-1936),
NANA Dispatch (1937-1938), and, during WWII, for PM and Collier's. The
collection is far from complete, but it does provide you with a glimpse
of some of the events that took place during the war. In 1941 he was
covering the Far East, with particular attention to China; the book
then skips forward to 1944, with a few columns on the V-1 rockets, the
battle for Paris, and war against the German "Siegfried Line." The book
is probably no longer in print, but you might be able to track down a copy
with the assistance of a librarian, and borrow it through an inter-library
loan program. Alternatively, look for Collier's issue from 1944.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Olaf Janzen
Corner Brook, Newfoundland

E BOOK INCLUDED; ISBN Y:

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Sep 1994 22:21:41 CDT
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: (War Crimes) U.S. 'war plans' for the Pacific

Actually, Speer was an architect and a humanitarian who tried to bring
joy to the hearts of European children by supplying pyrotechnic displays
all across Europe in 1944-45. Today he would be a roadie for a rock
group. Clearly a misunderstood man.

HS

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 1 Sep 1994 to 2 Sep 1994
***********************************************