Subject: WWII-L Digest - 4 Sep 1994 to 5 Sep 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 00:04:12 -0400

There are 23 messages totalling 652 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. ADMIN: PLEASE RE...
  2. INF: 50 Years Ago - 06-SEP-1944
  3. WEAP: Kamikaze torpedoes (4)
  4. Airshow report
  5. Aerial Ops, Last Day of War
  6. 12"-gunned ARKANSAS
  7. 50TH: COMMEMORATION OF US PLANE CRASH IN NORWAY
  8. 50TH: ROBERT CAPA-GOOD AND BAD LUCK (2)
  9. The other way around?
 10. ex-ADMIN: Inflamatory postings.
 11. Response to Larry
 12. More about Kaiten suicide subs
 13. Robert Capa
 14. MEDIA: SMITHSONIAN
 15. NEWBORN AIRBORNE! (2)
 16. U.S. "WAR PLANS" F
 17. [INF] USAAF 6 SEP 44
 18. Aircraft ranges

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 01:27:52 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: PLEASE RE...

Great Idea.

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
****************************************************************************

On Sun, 4 Sep 1994, John Sloan wrote:

> Lou,
> I recommend you do it the other way around - instead of posting something you
> know will be inflamatory and awaiting email to your address - why not post
> your message to the individuals you want to reach at their email address
> instead of the entire list? I am posting this to the list specifically so
> others may comment on this approach.
> best wishes
> john sloan
> [email-masked]
>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 06:50:30 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 06-SEP-1944

On 06-SEP-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - Units of the 3rd Army cross the Moselle. The VII Corps pushes
on towards Liege. In southern France, the French II Corps enters
Chalons-sur-Saone. The US VI Corps is moving rapidly towards Besancon.

Eastern Front - The 3rd Ukraine Front reaches the Rumanian-Yugoslav frontier
at Turnu Severin. There they make contact with Tito's partisans. The loss of
the Rumanian oilfields has serious consequences for Germany. Any attempt to
hold the Carpathian-Hungarian line must now fail for the lack of fuel,
manpower and equipment.

Italian Front - The British V Corps prepares a large scale offense to capture
Cariano. The Canadian I Corps reaches the river Marano.

Palau Islands - Aircraft from Vice-Admiral Marc Mitscher's fast carrier
squadron carry out attacks against the Japanese airfields and other
installations in the Palau Islands and in Yap and Ulithi Islands in the
western Carolines. The attacks are to continue for three days, causing
tremendous damage.

The Homefront
-------------
Army Annouces Demobilization - The Army has announced that it will be able to
demobilize 1,000,000 men when the war in Germany is over.

Ration Points Changed - The OPA has removed 17 different processed food items
from ration lists including all fruit spreads, canned asparagus, lima beans,
corn, peas and all soups and baby foods.

Army Helicopter School - The Army has established the first military
helicopter training school at Freeman Field, Ind.

Britain Homefront
-----------------
The Minister for Home Security, Herbert Morrison relaxes blackout and other
civil defense duties. The War Office ends compulsory training and drills for
Home Guard units.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "United States Naval Chronology,
World War II" by Naval Historical Division - United States Navy, "Facts On
File Yearbook 1944, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 06:57:53 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Kamikaze torpedoes

I was watching the movie on TV last night about the Indianapolis. They
mentioned that the Japanese were using a torpedo called the Keintin
(probably mispelled) torpedo, that was a human driven kamikaze torpedo. I
had never heard of such a thing. Were these things for real? Was any ship
ever sunk with one? Where did the driver sit? How long could he be in one
before he ran out of air? Was this just made up for the movie??

------------
John Davis    [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 09:27:16 CDT
From:    Tim not Timothy Scherrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Airshow report

The Louisville airshow was a WWIIAPS event, so it was probably our group
there---I've been out of pocket lately with the WWIIAPS and my next
event planned is the 91st Bomb Group reunion in Oklahoma City, OK 24-25
Sept.

The WWIIHRS National Battle has been set for Fremont, NE the weekend of
7-8-9 October.

If anyone is interested in additional details, please contact me.  TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 08:38:06 -0700
From:    "Office TH325, Extension 3566" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Kamikaze torpedoes

>From:         John Davis <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      WEAP: Kamikaze torpedoes
>
>I was watching the movie on TV last night about the Indianapolis. They
>mentioned that the Japanese were using a torpedo called the Keintin
>(probably mispelled) torpedo, that was a human driven kamikaze torpedo. I
>had never heard of such a thing. Were these things for real? Was any ship
>ever sunk with one? Where did the driver sit? How long could he be in one
>before he ran out of air? Was this just made up for the movie??
>
>------------
>John Davis    [email-masked]
>Cary, N.C.
>------------

The term is Kaiten.  This information is from the book "Suicide Squads:,
by Richard O'neill and deals with the Japanese, Italian, German, and
British.

The submarine, I-58, that sank Indianaoplis was carrying kaiten, but
none were used in the attack.  She was sunk by 6 ordinary torpedoes.
Kaitens were based on a Long Lance Type 93 torpedo, slightly lengthened to
hold a pilot and small conning tower.  It had a range of about 85,300 yds at
12 kt, or 25,000 yds at 30 kt.   The drawing in the book shows the pilot
about midship.  It was evidently very difficult to keep them at their
desired depth and many dove into the bottem and stuck in the mud.  About
300 were built.

Four fleet submarines and four transport submarines were lost with all
hands during kaiten missions.  Of some 150 kaiten attacks, only 7 or 8
hit, sinking a destroyer-escort, a fleet oiler, and perhaps an infantry
landing craft.  They damaged a destroyer-escort and 4 transports.
The DE that was lost was Underhill.  It may have rammed the kaiten
thinking it was a midget submarine.

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 12:58:12 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Kamikaze torpedoes

There is a chilling chapter in *Japan at War* by the Cooks (interviews
with survivors) about the suicide submarines. I'll summarize it if anyone
is interested and can't get the book at the library.

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 13:01:33 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Aerial Ops, Last Day of War

For a magazine article about the last day of WWII, I want to talk
to people who remember the "thousand-plane raid" mounted against
the Japanese home islands on August 14-15, 1945. The overnight
raid was a USAAF operation, but the Navy flew missions on the
morning of the 15th. (Some of these were canceled even as the
planes were taking off, and I think that some carrier fighters
were in combat against Japanese aircraft after the surrender went
into effect.)

In the air or on the ground, civilian or military, American or
Japanese, wherever located--if you had any connection with aerial
operations on the last day of the war, or if you know somebody
who did, I'd like to hear from you.

Leads to published or archival material would also be welcome.
This was the biggest raid of the Pacific War, but I have read
almost nothing about it, sandwiched as it was between the
beginning of the atomic age and the end of the Japanese Empire.

Here are all the possible ways of reaching me:

Daniel Ford
433 Bay Road
Durham NH 03824
voice & fax: +1-603-868-5850
[email-masked]
Eastern Daylight Time: GMT -0400

Or post to the List.

Thanks - Dan

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 12:53:07 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: 12"-gunned ARKANSAS

Carl,

     I assume ARKANSAS was kept in service (presumably at
some risk to her crew) to use up the remainder/surplus of
12" shells.  I wonder how many were duds.

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 6 Sep 1994 01:57:57 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: 50TH: COMMEMORATION OF US PLANE CRASH IN NORWAY

  September 5, 1994
  Someone asked about an American bomber that crashed during WWII in Norway.
The following item appeared in the Oslo daily Aftenposten today: "On Saturday,
the American ambassador Thomas A. Loftus and Seljord's mayor John Kleivstaul
unveiled a monument to 11 American flyers killed in a plane crash September 9,
1944."
  Sorry, that was all it said.  Seljord is a small town in Telemark, west of
Oslo.
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 12:59:33 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: ROBERT CAPA-GOOD AND BAD LUCK

John,

     Was that film destroyed after Normandy Robert Capa's or
Frank Capra's?

Lou Coatney

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 13:11:48 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: The other way around?

Thanks for the suggestion, John, -- seriously -- but my basic
  point remains that we should be able to post something
  important/relevant to the list even if *somebody* considers
  it "inflammatory."  (You, too!  :-)  )

I was intrigued that my critics back-channeled Joe -- the list-
  owner -- and that he went ahead and back-channeled me.

Does this mean that when someone posts something a certain
  group labels as "inflammatory," they can reliably back-channel
  our fearless leader and have it/him stifled?  Hmmmm.  Maybe
  this could work *both* ways?  :-)

For the record, I think/know Joe is doing an excellent job, and
  I am grateful to him (too) for picking it up when Larry had to
  retire (from the bull-pit).  It's nothing personal:  it's
  principle.

This is an interesting and important discussion, itself.

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 13:18:42 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ex-ADMIN: Inflamatory postings.

I am terribly disturbed with this censorship/free speech discussion.

And have terribly mixed feeelings.

I have great respect for the people on this list.  I have learned a great
deal from them, and hope to continue in the future.  They are a group of
bright an very well informed people.

But I am terribly disturbed by such statements as "you can say what you
please, you just can't say it here."  I have a lot more to say, but
will refrain because some PC person or the censor might take offense.

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my second | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   extended stay in Prague.       |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  | Working on second book about     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic  |    economic, social, political     |
  |   and a book about the B-25      |    problems and opportunities.     |
  |   in WWII.                       | B-25 in WWII.                      |
  | E-Mail:                          | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |   USA:  [email-masked]    | Stamp collecting.                  |
  =========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 13:24:08 -0500
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Response to Larry

If my perspectives were *that* upsetting for you, Larry, then
  (for your sake) I am glad you passed on the baton.

Thanks again for a good job.  Have you ever vacationed in
  Alaska?

Lou

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 12:23:05 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Kamikaze torpedoes

>
> There is a chilling chapter in *Japan at War* by the Cooks (interviews
> with survivors) about the suicide submarines. I'll summarize it if anyone
> is interested and can't get the book at the library.
>
>             - Dan      <[email-masked]>
>
>

Please do. I had not heard about suicide torpedoes or submarines.

------------
John Davis    [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 17:48:55 -0400
From:    Dan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: More about Kaiten suicide subs

Kozu Naoji was drafted from Tokyo Imperial University in the fall
of 1943. He chose the navy because he loathed the army officers
("swaggering bastards") attached to the schools. He went to anti-
submarine warfare school Feb-Oct 1944. Out of frustration he
volunteered for a "special weapon" that would "reverse the tide
of war." Eldest sons, or those who had a brother at the front,
were rejected. Trained on a plywood motorboat at Kawatana; you
locked the helm and jump overboard before it crashed into the
target. When he first heard of Kamikaze attacks, he assumed that
the pilots likewise bailed out. This was a Shinyo ("Ocean
Shaker") but he was seconded to Hikari.

There he first saw a Kaiten ("Turning of the Heavens"). It was
painted flat black, with a small "sail" and a periscope; 14.5
meters overall and 1 meter (!) diameter. The rear third was a
Type 93 (1933) torpedo (the editor says it was actually two
torpedos fused together) with an explosive charge of 1.6 metric
tons; range 78,000 meters; max speed 30 knots. Four or six were
carried on the deck of a mother sub; the pilots entered through a
hatch. There was, of course, no means of recovering it.

You set the angle of attack from the periscope, then submerged.
"You have a stopwatch. You know how much of the one minute and
thirty seconds have elapsed. But you may have made an error in
measurement."

You got four practice runs, then went to a Kaiten unit and made a
run with an instructor. No one, he says, who was launched from
the motor sub ever came back, yet very few seem to have hit a
ship. Among the "pilots," 106 died, including 17 in accidents and
9 by enemy action before they were launched. So at most 81
actually attacked. U.S. records indicate three vessels lost to
Kaiten, though of course they may have been others, including
ships of Allied countries.

(From *Japan at War: An Oral History* by Haruko and Theodore
Cook, NY: The New Press, 1992).

            - Dan      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 20:00:53 -0400
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: ROBERT CAPA-GOOD AND BAD LUCK

On Mon, 5 Sep 1994, Louis R. Coatney wrote:

> John,
>
>      Was that film destroyed after Normandy Robert Capa's or
> Frank Capra's?
>
> Lou Coatney
Just to step in and answer for John (who seems to be busy with all of our
requests for more stories), the film was Robert Capa's. If you see any of
his photos of D-Day, you will notice that they all look blurry etc. One
would naturally think that this was caused by the action of the time
(i.e. not wanting to take time to focus/adjust F-stop under fire) but was
actually caused by a SNAFU in the development process. If I recall
correctly, Capa took about 8 rolls of film on the beach of which about
1/2 dozen photos were saved.
David Rising

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 20:10:16 -0400
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: Robert Capa

OOps. I just looked it up. Capa took 2 rolls of film and of those, 11
images were printable, albeit blurry. Capa was told that they had been
ruined by salt water getting into his camera, and didn't find out the
truth until later. Cheers,
David Rising

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 20:24:47 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: SMITHSONIAN

I don't know why you are surprised that only the front fuselage of the Enola
Gay is being exhibited. Have you ever seen the size of the B-29 and also the
room available for such exhibits at the Air and Space Museums? Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 20:31:10 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NEWBORN AIRBORNE!

Congratulations, Alan. I, too, would like a cigar, a good one, for I enjoy them
immensely. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 20:33:18 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U.S. "WAR PLANS" F

What makes you think that German courts run by judges who worked hand in glove
with the Nazis would have been the epitome of fair-minded justice? If you are
of that mind, I would like to know what you smoke. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 20:43:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 6 SEP 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 6 SEPTEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-39, Bell Airacobra
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 6 B-25s hit Indaw while 3 bomb
Katha; 24 B-24s fly about 34,000 US gallons (128,704 l) of fuel to Kunming,
China; and large-scale daily troop carrier and cargo operations to a variety
of CBI terminals continue.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 20 B-25s pound Yiyang, Lingkuantien
railroad yards, trucks N of Lingling, troops and occupied areas around Kiyang
and Paishui, and Hengyang Airfield; 45 P-40s and P-51s on armed
reconnaissance attack troops, shipping, and communications targets in the
Yiyang area, bomb warehouses at Hukow, destroy a fuel barge at Pengtse, hit
railroad yards, trucks, troops, and sampans at Kweiyang and Lingkuantien, and
attack general targets of opportunity at Yangtien.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 607: 49 P-38s and 165
P-47s strafe rail and highway traffic in the Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and
the Aachen and Koblenz, Germany areas; 1 P-38 and 3 P-47s are lost to flak
(pilots are MIA) and 5 P-38s and 7 P-47s are damaged.
  70 B-24s fly TRUCKIN' missions (carrying cargo to airfields in France).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In France, B-26s and A-20s hit Brest
area strongpoints, a coastal battery at Pointe du Grand Gouin, defenses at
Saint-Pierre-Quilbignon, and a Brest area bridge; fighters hit Brest area gun
positions and ammunition dump and fly cover for several armored and infantry
divisions; HQ 370th Fighter Group and the 401st, 402d and 485th Fighter
Squadrons move from La Vielle to Lonray with P-38s; HQ 474th Fighter Group
moves from St Marceau to Peronne; and the 23d Fighter Squadron, 36th Fighter
Group, moves from Brucheville to Le Mans with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 542 B-24s attack communications
targets in Rumania, Yugoslavia and Hungary and troop and tank concentrations
in S Yugoslavia; in Rumania, 2 marshalling yards are hit at Oradea, and 2
nearby bridges over the Sebes Koros River; targets in Yugoslavia are a
marshalling yard at Novi Sad, a bridge at Belgrade, and tanks and troops at
Leskovac; and a marshalling yard at Nyiregyhaza, Hungary. 2 bombers, with
fighter escort, evacuate interned airmen from Bucharest, Rumania.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy during the night of 5/6
Sep A-20s attack targets of opportunity in the Savona and Milan areas. In
France during the day, weather grounds XII Tactical Air Command aircraft
except for a few fighters based in France which fly armed reconnaissance over
the Belfort, Dijon, and Colmar areas, destroying or damaging numerous motor
transport and railroad cars and several locomotives, field guns, trailers,
and a tank; HQ 324th Fighter Group and the 315th and 316th Fighter Squadrons
move from Istres to Amberieu with P-47s; and the 35th Troop Carrier Squadron,
64th Troop Carrier Group, based at Ciampino, Italy, begins operating from
Istres with C-47s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): Saipan Island-based B-24s strike Iwo Jima
Island while P-47s make strafing and rocket runs on AA positions on Pagan
Island. B-24s on armed reconnaissance bomb Marcus Island. Eniwetok Atoll,
Marshall Island-based B-24s bomb Truk Island.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): HQ 498th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy)
arrives at Isley Field, Saipan Island from the US.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: On Mindanao Island,
B-24s pound Santa Ana port and B-25s bomb Buayan Airfield in the first medium
bomber raid in the Philippine Islands since early 1942; several B-24s,
turning back from the Santa Ana strike, bomb Rainis in the Talaud Islands;
B-25s hit Galela on Halmahera Island and the S coast of Morotai Island while
on Halmahera Island, fighter-bombers hit Kaoe Airfield and bomb a Djailolo
Airfield runway. In New Guinea, A-20s, B-25s, and fighter-bombers hit
airfields at Manokwari, Moemi, Ransiki, and Waren, and stores and personnel
area at Nabire; P-40s attack S Soepiori Island and Napido; P-39s strafe
barges and huts at Suain; the 69th, 310th and 311th Fighter Squadrons, 58th
Fighter Group, move from Saidor to Noemfoor Island with P-47s; and the 71st
Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 38th Bombardment Group (Medium), moves from
Nadzab to Biak Island with B-25s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

06/0045Z SEP

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 20:53:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Aircraft ranges

There was a discussion recently about the P-47 and P-51.  Today, I "found"
my March 1994 issue of the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC and reread the article on
the Eighth Air Force.  Accompanying the article is a map of Europe showing
the ranges of various Eighth Air Force aircraft; I assume these are combat
ranges.  The range data presented are:

Vickers Supermarine Spitfire: 175 miles (282 km)
Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
  Without belly tank: 230 miles (370 km)
  With belly tank: 375 miles (603 km)
Lockheed P-38 Lightning: 520 miles (837 km)
North American P-51 Mustang with drop tanks: 600+ miles (966+ km)
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress with 4,000-pound (1,814 kg) bombload: 1,850
  miles (2,977 km)
Consolidated B-24 Liberator with 4,000-pound (1,814 kg) bombload: 2,100
  miles (3,380 km)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 1994 21:47:51 EDT
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NEWBORN AIRBORNE!

Ben Frank <[email-masked]> says,...

>Congratulations, Alan. I, too, would like a cigar, a good one for I enjoy them
>immensely. Ben Frank

There's a Honduran Zino on the next postal plane. Please send address.

I enjoyed mine. :-)
                  !

Amicably, Alan

Alan G. Wild
Admin. Computing
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, R.I.  02881

I am the NRA.

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 4 Sep 1994 to 5 Sep 1994
***********************************************