Subject: WWII-L Digest - 18 Sep 1994 to 19 Sep 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 00:01:05 -0400

There are 50 messages totalling 1519 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. GEN: WHITEPASS AND YUKON RAILWAY
  2. INF: USN Chronology 09-19-94
  3. TRIV: American helmets
  4. Peleliu
  5. Phillipine Invasion Unnecessary? (2)
  6. WWII Germans in China
  7. 50TH: PACIFIC ANNIVERSARIES (2)
  8. Foo Fighters
  9. Australia in the Pacific
 10. GEN: ROLE OF ALASKA IN WWII (4)
 11. Len Deighton (4)
 12. Dividing Line?
 13. Geographical situation and treatment of German POW (3)
 14. Mac and the Philippines (was Peleliu and Morotai) (2)
 15. Please forgive my snafu
 16. Coming Conference and Call for Papers
 17. INF: 50 Years Ago - 20-SEP-1944
 18. Merrill's Marauders
 19. VET: Locating veterans
 20. Seebees and SAS (2)
 21. WEAP: Schwerer Gustav
 22. Peleliu{
 23. Admiral E. J. King (2)
 24. NAVAJO CODE TALKERS
 25. Admiral King
 26. Medal of Honor
 27. Phillipine Invasion Unnec
 28. MAC AND THE PHILIP (3)
 29. Mac and the Phillipines
 30. [INF] USAAF 20 SEP 44
 31. RNZAF P-40s
 32. GREAT NEED FOR TORPEDO
 33. ADMIRAL E. J. KING
 34. SEEBEES AND SAS
 35. WAR PLAN YELLOW

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 13:55:34 +0200
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: WHITEPASS AND YUKON RAILWAY

  September 19, 1994

  Thanks to George Bauer and others who have entered messages concerning Alaska.
They make it clear that using airfields in Alaska for ferrying planes to the
Soviet Union was important.  Having established this, let me be more specific.
  My father commanded the Whitepass and Yukon Railway in the winter of 1942-43.
It runs from the port of Skagway to Whitehorse, on the Alkan Highway.  Before
his death, he wrote a number of articles in the Military Railway Service Journal
about the problems of operating the railway during winter.  These articles do
not, however, contain much information on what the trains carried.
  It is my impression that supplies moved by ship from Vancouver to Skagway and
then on to Whitehorse.  There was at least some movement of troops from
Whitehorse to Skagway, but it is not clear where they went from there.
  From general reading, I know that the attack on the Aleutians took place
not long after the 1942-43 winter, but it is not clear to me how many of the
troops were moved over the Whitepass and Yukon Railway.
  I realize this is an off beat subject, but I would appreciate any information
list members might have.
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 01:16:19 PDT
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 09-19-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
09/19 Tue.  United States naval vessel sunk:
             PT-371, damaged by grounding, Netherlands East
              Indies area,
              02 d. 05'N., 127 d. 51'E.;
              sunk by United States forces.
            Japanese naval vessel sunk:
             Frigate IOSHIMA, by submarine SHAD (SS-235), off
              Honshu, Japan,
              33 d. 40' N., 138 d. 18'E.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 06:25:47 -0400
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIV: American helmets

>
> Hopefully, this will not seem like too trivial a question.
>
> In all the movies and pictures from around the time of Pearl Harbor,
> American servicemen are wearing helmets similar (identical?) to those
> worn in WW 1.  When did the GI pot (a la Bill Mauldin) replace it?  It
> is impossible to imagine the war without that helmet.
>
> Also, since the British apparently kept the same earlier style
> throughout the war, did anyone ever do a study of wounds to the neck
> and lower skull that might have been covered by an American-style
> helmet?  The british-style doesn't seem to come lower than the ears,
> so I assume they would have had more shrapnel wounds in that area
> than the Americans.  Does anybody know?

Actually, the British DIDN'T keep the same design.  Later in the war they
adopted a similar helmet which swept backward, somewhat like some medieval
helmets.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 06:59:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Peleliu

 >A couple of questions.
 >
 >1.  Didn't President Roosevelt meet with MacArthur, and Nimitz, at which
 >time both presented their strategy about the Philippines.  MacArthur
 >wanting to retake them, & Nimitz wanting to skip over.  Then didn't
 >Roosevelt make the decision himself to accept MacArthurs wishes?

Correct, the meeting took place in Hawaii and Mac's impassioned
speech about liberating the Philippines carried the day.

 >2.  If this meeting did take place was it before or after Peleliu?

I think it was in the summer of '44.

 >+==================================+
 >|   DAN COX                        |
 >|   REPUBLIC, MO                   |
 >|   [email-masked]   |
 >+==================================+

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 07:08:23 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Phillipine Invasion Unnecessary?

     >Not entirely necessary, especially if Okinawa was "on the list" for
     >occupation. Suffice it to say, these men should have been hoarded for
     >the upcoming invasion of Japan, should it become necessary--not
     >wasted for a purely political (or should I say egotistical) cause.

     >I will stop here and remind myself that war is supposed to be
     >politics by another means.  I wonder if we have forgotten the
     >implications of that by now.

     I suspect that you've been a bit too hard on the good General.
     Perhaps it wasn't absolutely necessary (From a lets defeat the
     Japanese military sense) to liberate the Phillipines.  On the other
     hand, it wasn't part of our strategy to leave allied nations under the
     Japanese occupation.

     Island hopping, when it involved unpopulated or barely populated
     islands was one thing.  Abandoning hundreds of thousands of Philipine
     Islanders would not have been accepted at home, let alone in the
     Generals HQ.

     (By the way, there is a school of thought that the General didn't do
     too well in New Guinea, either).

        Steve L. New                     .............................
        Weapon System Manager            .............................
        Battalion Countermine Set        ............ /\ .............
        U.S. Army TACOM AMSTA-FR1D       ............/  \.............
        DSN: 786-5403  FAX: 786-7788     ............    .............
        EMAIL  [email-masked]   ............    .............

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 07:29:04 EDT
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Germans in China

I'd begun to scan the other informational listservs and found this on
the VWAR-L listserv. 'Posting for confirmation and/or general news,...

-Al
------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Date:         Thu, 25 Aug 1994 13:07:00 -0400
>Reply-To:     Viet Nam War Discussion List <[email-masked]>
>From:         "Ray G. Hatmaker" <[email-masked]>
>
>--Boundary (ID 2vudWhVcd4mMrXz6acEY9w)
>Content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII
>
>Had a neighbor in Virginia that had retired out of the CIA ... had been
>in originally when it was the OSS back in WWII and had been the Japan
>Station Chief in later years.  He was in the Burma/China theater in
>WWII.  Told me about almost wrecking his jeep when he saw what appeared
>to be a whole battalion of Germans standing along side of the road in
>China.  German rifles.  German uniforms.  German equipment... helmets
>.... so on.  Turned out that German advisors had trained and equipped
>Chinese troops equipping them with German gear... even after the war
>started until the Japanese complained.  Only then did Germany withdraw
>their advisors.  That was the only time I had heard of Germans training
>Chinese troops until I read the attached item from VOA.  See, this list
>can be informative and educational.
>
>Ghost Dance
>
>--Boundary (ID 2vudWhVcd4mMrXz6acEY9w)
>MIME-version: 1.0
>Content-type: MESSAGE/RFC822
>
>Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 12:53:00 EDT
>Subject: JAPAN / PHOTOGRAPHS [2] By TREVOR HENRY/WELLINGTON
>Sender: LIBRARY%EMU <[email-masked]>
>To: hatmaker <[email-masked]>
>MIME-version: 1.0
>Content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII
>Posting-date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 00:00:00 EDT
>Importance: normal
>A1-type: MAIL
>
>
>DATE=8/25/94
>TYPE=BACKGROUND REPORT
>NUMBER=5-18047
>TITLE=JAPAN / PHOTOGRAPHS
>BYLINE=TREVOR HENRY
>DATELINE=WELLINGTON
>CONTENT=
>VOICED AT:
>
>  // RE-RUNNING W/CQ #.  NO CHANGES //
>
>INTRO:  PHOTOGRAPHS SHOWING ATROCITIES COMMITTED DURING JAPAN'S
>INVASION OF CHINA, IN THE LATE 1930'S, HAVE BEEN FOUND BEHIND THE
>CHIMNEY OF A HOUSE IN NEW ZEALAND.  THE PHOTOGRAPHS WILL MOST
>LIKELY END UP IN NEW ZEALAND'S NATIONAL ARCHIVE.  IN THE
>MEANTIME, THE ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF HISTORY AT WAIKATO
>UNIVERSITY -- LAURIE BARBER -- HAS SET UPON THE TASK OF FINDING
>OUT EXACTLY WHERE THEY CAME FROM.  TREVOR HENRY REPORTS FROM
>WELLINGTON.
>
>TEXT:  THE SHANGHAI PHOTOGRAPHS -- TAKEN WITH A BOX-BROWNINE
>CAMERA -- FOUND THEIR WAY TO LAURIE BARBER AFTER BEING DISCOVERED
>ON A SHELF BEHIND A CHIMNEY IN AN OLD HOUSE BEING DEMOLISHED IN
>NEW ZEALAND'S WAIKATO REGION.
>
>HE IS STILL TRYING TO DETERMINE HOW THEY CAME TO NEW ZEALAND AND
>-- ALTHOUGH THE COLLECTION IS NOT UNIQUE -- IT REPRESENTS A
>FASCINATING VIEW OF EVENTS TAKEN BY SOMEONE CLOSELY INVOLVED.
>
>THERE ARE 97 PHOTOGRAPHS INVOLVED.
>
>            // BARBER ACTUALITY //
>
>         SOME OF THEM SHOW THE RESULTS OF FIRING SQUADS.  SOME OF
>         THEM SHOW PUNISHMENT OF CIVILIANS OR PRISONERS OF WAR --
>         WE'RE NOT QUITE SURE WHICH YET -- IN LONG WOODEN BOXES.
>         THESE PEOPLE ARE CONFINED WITHIN THESE LONG WOODEN
>         BOXES, WITH ONLY THEIR HEADS STICKING OUT, IN THE
>         STREETS OF SHANGHAI.  ANOTHER PHOTOGRAPH SHOWS A
>         PRISONER SUSPENDED IN A CAGE IN A TREE.
>
>            // END ACTUALITY //
>
>LAURIE BARBER BELIEVES THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN DURING BATTLES IN
>SHANGHAI BETWEEN SEPTEMBER AND NOVEMBER, 1937.
>
>
>
>HE SAYS SOME OF THE FIGURES IN THE PHOTOGRAPHS WERE CLEARLY
>RECOGNIZABLE.
>
>            // BARBER ACTUALITY //
>
>         THERE WERE TWO FASCINATING PHOTOGRAPHS.  WHOEVER TOOK
>         THESE PHOTOS -- AND WE DON'T KNOW WHO YET -- MUST HAVE
>         KNOWN THE CHIANG KAI-SHEK'S, BECAUSE, THERE'S ONE
>         (PHOTO) SHOWING AN INTIMATE DINNER PARTY WITH GEN.
>         CHIANG KAI-SHEK, THE LEADER OF CHINA, AND MADAME CHIANG
>         KAI-SHEK, TOGETHER AND ANOTHER SHOWING CHIANG KAI-SHEK
>         AND MADAME CHIANG KAI-SHEK SURROUNDED BY DIGNITARIES IN
>         SHANGHAI.
>
>            // END ACTUALITY //
>
>MR. BARBER BELIEVES THE PHOTOGRAPHER WAS A SENIOR OFFICIAL --
>POSSIBLY AN AMERICAN -- WITH PRIVILEGED ACCESS.
>
>            // BARBER ACTUALITY //
>
>         TWO OF THEM ARE  BATTLE SCENES, SHOWING THE CHINESE
>         TROOPS -- THESE ARE SPECIALIST CHINESE TROOPS, TRAINED
>         BY THE GERMANS.  HE'S GOT RIGHT BEHIND THEM AND SHOWS
>         THEM IN ACTION AND EVEN SHOWS THEM BEING KILLED IN
>         BATTLE.  WHOEVER HE IS OR WHOEVER SHE IS -- WE REALLY
>         DON'T KNOW, DO WE -- IT'S A BRAVE PHOTOGRAPHER.
>
>            // END ACTUALITY //
>
>THE PICTURES ALSO SHOW A U-S MARINE OFFICER.  SOME TWO THOUSAND
>AMERICAN MARINES WERE RUSHED IN TO GUARD U-S TERRITORY IN
>SHANGHAI -- THEN AN INTERNATIONAL CITY IN WHICH BRITAIN, FRANCE,
>THE UNITED STATES AND JAPAN HAD THEIR OWN ZONES OF INFLUENCE.
>
>CHIANG KAI-SHEK POURED HIS BEST TROOPS -- TRAINED AND ARMED BY
>GERMAN MILITARY ADVISORS -- INTO THE THREE-MONTH BATTLE FOR
>SHANGHAI.  THEY SUFFERED MASSIVE CASUALTIES, AS THE JAPANESE
>CAPTURED THE CITY.
>
>THE PHOTOGRAPHS GIVE AN IDEA OF THE HORRENDOUS CASUALTIES THE
>CIVILIAN POPULATION TOOK FROM BOMBING.
>
>MR. BARBER SAYS, AS A MILITARY HISTORIAN, THE MOST-IMPORTANT
>POINT MADE IN THE PHOTOGRAPHS IS THE GERMAN INFLUENCE IN THE
>TRAINING, THE ARMING, THE UNIFORMS AND THE DISCIPLINE OF CHIANG
>KAI-SHEK'S BEST ARMIES.
>
>LAURIE BARBER SAYS, IF THE TROOPS DID NOT HAVE ORIENTAL FACES,
>ONE WOULD THINK THEY WERE WESTERN-FRONT PHOTOS OF GERMAN SOLDIERS
>ADVANCING IN FRANCE IN, SAY, 1940.  (SIGNED)
>
>NEB / WOD-T / WOD
>
>25-Aug-94 5:09 AM EDT (0909 UTC)
>NNNN
>
>Source: Voice of America
>
>--Boundary (ID 2vudWhVcd4mMrXz6acEY9w)
>MIME-version: 1.0
>Content-type: MESSAGE/RFC822
>
>Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 12:57:00 EDT
>From: [email-masked]
>Subject:
>MIME-version: 1.0
>Content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII
>Posting-date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 12:57:00 EDT
>Importance: normal
>A1-type: DOCUMENT
>
>RFC-822-headers:
>Received: from UTKVX1.UTK.EDU by ADONIS.OSTI.GOV (PMDF V4.3-8 #5166)
> id <[email-masked]>; Thu, 25 Aug 1994 12:54:02 -0400 (EDT)
>Received: from DECNET-MAIL (LIBRARY@EMU) by utkvx.utk.edu (PMDF V4.3-7 #6815)
> id <[email-masked]>; Thu, 25 Aug 1994 12:53:56 EDT
>X-Envelope-to: [email-masked]
>X-VMS-To: UTKVX::IN%"[email-masked]"
>
>--Boundary (ID 2vudWhVcd4mMrXz6acEY9w)--

Alan G. Wild
Admin. Computing
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, R.I.  02881

I am the NRA.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 07:41:18 -0400
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: PACIFIC ANNIVERSARIES

Hello Terry!

Thank you very much for your reply.

BTW, my father never was in the service. His brother joined to go to
Korea, and he got either a farmers or a surviving son deferment. Dad
never talks about his family's war experience, and I never met Walt.

Interesting note about an interesting guy, to this day he and his brother
do NOT get along. They won't go into the same room together. Again, no
discernable reason.

Anyway, thanx Terry!
                                                                Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 07:46:46 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Foo Fighters

     >I have talked to two pilots who concured that when some of the old
     >plexiglas used to delaminate they would see what appeared to be
     >lights outside the the window.  For what it's worth, they both
     >explained the appearance of UFO's over France in this way.  Towards
     >the end of the war, they said, the cosmetic maintenance of some of
     >the aircraft was getting pretty bad.

     Add to the above:

          1.  The Germans were introducing jet and rocket aircraft.

          2.  AAF intelligence officers were pressing for reports of
     anything new and unusual during de-briefings.

          3.  Combat pilots experienced high-g forces under oxygen during
     the stress of combat, which was also likely to make things appear in
     their "vision".

     It's no wonder that there were reports of Foo fighters.

        Steve L. New                     .............................
        Weapon System Manager            .............................
        Battalion Countermine Set        ............ /\ .............
        U.S. Army TACOM AMSTA-FR1D       ............/  \.............
        DSN: 786-5403  FAX: 786-7788     ............    .............
        EMAIL  [email-masked]   ............    .............

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 08:20:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Australia in the Pacific

 >A simple answer is that Mac wanted the "glory" for himself (and obviously
 >US forces)
 >
 >Doug was clearly into self agrandisement.
 >
 >Australian troops were simply ordered to places as mentioned above for
 >pointless exercises against Japanese who could easily be left to "wither
 >on the vine"
 >
 >The Australian Prime Minister (John Curtin) gave virtually absolute
 >control of Oz resources to Doug Mac.  General Blamey (the Oz Army commander)
 >complains of this even in the ofiicial histories
 >
 >That these attacks were stupid and pointless is well known in Oz,
 >particularly by the ex-service personnel themselves who lost many mates in
 >these wasteful attacks
 >
 >Kevin Noonan
 >[email-masked]

Wasn't Bougainville and the entire Solomon Island campaign a US Navy
opertion under Admiral Nimitz not a US Army operation under MacArthur?  I
think the dividing line between the Navy's South Pacific Area and the
Army's Southwest Pacific Area ran between New Guinea and the Solomons down
between Australia and New Zealand.  From a USAAF standpoint:

1. That's why the RAAF got US Army aircraft while the RNZAF got US Navy
aircraft.

2. The Thirteenth Air Force had been formed in early 1943 to control the
AAF units in the Solomons.  General Kenney, commander of the Fifth Air
Force under MacArthur, wanted the Thirteenth and in 1944 the Thirteenth
began moving to New Guinea where the Far East Air Forces was activated to
control both the Fifth and Thirteenth AFs.  I believe the RNZAF took over
the air support function in the Solomons as the Thirteenth moved out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 07:40:04 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: ROLE OF ALASKA IN WWII

Hello, John!

If you can wait, I will post you some info on this topic later on
today.

More later.

Terry

>   Could someone give me a short lecture on the role of Alaska in WWII?
>   According to Weinberg in his WORLD AT ARMS, its mail role was to provide a
> base for ferrying planes to the Soviet Union.  The role of the Alaska Highway
> was to provide fuel etc. to the bases used by these aircraft.
>   Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway
>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:07:53 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Len Deighton

>I came across a book the other day that I ended up buying. It is called
>_Blood, Tears and Folly_ by Len Deighton. I have read seven chapters so
>far, and I like what I see. Has anyone else read this book? Any comments?
>Thanks-Drew
>

I read the book and also enjoyed it.  One of the more intresting pieces in
that book was a section on the Manchurian border conflict between the
Soviet and Japanese forces.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka
Cornell University
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:13:32 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Dividing Line?

     >...I think the dividing line between the Navy's South Pacific Area
     >and the Army's Southwest Pacific Area ran between New Guinea and the
     >Solomons down between Australia and New Zealand.  From a USAAF
     >standpoint:

     >1. That's why the RAAF got US Army aircraft while the RNZAF got US
     >Navy aircraft.

     The RNZAF received U.S. Army aircraft (P40E and P40N models) as well
     as U.S. Navy Aircraft (F4U).

        Steve L. New                     .............................
        Weapon System Manager            .............................
        Battalion Countermine Set        ............ /\ .............
        U.S. Army TACOM AMSTA-FR1D       ............/  \.............
        DSN: 786-5403  FAX: 786-7788     ............    .............
        EMAIL  [email-masked]   ............    .............

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:43:24 -0400
From:    Ron Babuka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Len Deighton

>I read Deighton's BOMBER and liked it very much.  Is BLOOD, TEARS AND
>FOLLY about errors and disasters in the direction of the war or something
>else? Can someone give me an idea?
>Tim J. Watts
>Valparaiso University

I'll print an excerpt from the cover leaf:

   "Len Deighton explores and analyzes some of the myths and realities of
the war, the mistakes and acheivements, the ironies and failures - of
intelligence, technology, planning and polocies - of both Allied and Axis
powers.  He re-examines what really happened during the tracking and
sinking of Germany's great Battleship Bismark. He ponders what might have
happened if German torpedoes and British fighters had more effective; why
the British government was not better prepared to cope with the devestation
of the London Blitz; why Hotler did not put more support into his U-boat
program, which may have starved England into surrender; and why Hitler did
not see the value of befriending Soviet partisans and using them against
the Soviet Government - instead of treating them with brutality and turning
them into implaccable enemies."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Babuka
Cornell University
CIT - Information Resources
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 254-6492

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 11:09:29 EDT
From:    Cassady Craft <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Geographical situation and treatment of German POW

There was a German prison camp just outside of Pryor, Oklahoma that you can
still see some of the ruins of (parts of guard tower, etc.).  That is all that
I know of.  My father has never told of any escapes that he was aware of--he
grew up in the area.

Cassady Craft
Department of Political Science
University of Georgia
e-mail [email-masked]
or
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 11:14:02 EDT
From:    Cassady Craft <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mac and the Philippines (was Peleliu and Morotai)

Say, speaking of the "Green Books," does anyone know if they are still in
publication or if commemorative editions are being printed.  This goes for
all of the official histories.

Cassady Craft
Department of Political Science
University of Georgia
e-mail [email-masked]
or
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 08:33:38 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Please forgive my snafu

I accidently forwarded a couple of messages that John Ausland sent out to
the mailing list a long time ago back to the mailing list. What I was
trying to do was forward the messages to my personal account from my work
account. I messed up though and accidently forwarded them back to the
mailing list itself. My humble apologies to John and to the readers for my
mess up.

------------
John Davis    [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 12:09:16 -0400
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Coming Conference and Call for Papers

.BITNET,[email-masked]

The Council on Information for Sustainable Development will be holding its
1st International Conference on Information for Sustainable Development on or
before November 1995.  The Conference will be held in Dallas, Texas, and
any one interested in attending the conference or presenting papers or
showing exhibits is welcome to contact me for additional information at
the address below.  The organizing committee is working on the details.
I will be posting additional information as it becomes available.  Please
 forward this message to other lists and individuals so that it gets wide
coverage.  The theme of the conference is "Celebrating the right to know
in the Less Developed Countries."

Dr. Seyoum S. Zegiorgis, Prairie View A&M University, P. O. Box 5030, Prairie
View, Texas 77446.
Tel: (409) 857-2612 (office)  FAX: (409)857-2755  e-mail:[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:24:39 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: ROLE OF ALASKA IN WWII

A good review of the Alaska campaign is:
        THE 1000 MILE WAR
        by Brian Garfield, as I recall.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:16:26 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 20-SEP-1944

On 20-SEP-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - Operation Market Garden continues. A combined attack by the
British XXX Corps and the 82nd Airborne results in the capture of Nijmegan and
the bridge over the Waal before it can be destroyed by the Germans. The
British troops in Arnhem are driven away from the north end of the bridge
despite a desparate fight. In other action, Polish troops of the Canadian 1st
Army make gains along the Scheldt estuary. The US 3rd Army takes Chatel and
Luneville.

Italian Front - The 4th Indian Division enters San Marino.

Peleliu - The Marines are still be held up by heavy Japanese resistance.

Angaur - Japanese resistance is dying out on Angaur. The few remaining
Japanese take refuge in the northwest of the island.

The Homefront
-------------
Cruiser Launched - The light cruiser Portsmouth, of the Cleveland class, has
been launched at Newport News, Va.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "Facts On File Yearbook 1944,
Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

----------
John Davis  [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
----------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:29:34 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Len Deighton

Len DEighton is a wondefully entertaining writer of fictional spy stories.
        However, he is by no means a reliable "military historian". :-)

--

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:42:34 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: ROLE OF ALASKA IN WWII

There was a good deal of interest raised in 1992, during the Fiftieth
Anniversary Celebrations of the building of the Alaska Highway.
        'Don't know how much attention this celebration received in
US media, but it had wide coverage in Canada. As you all know (?), the highway
south end was in Edmonton, Alberta -- that's in Canada, incidentally :-) --
and was built through some of the most rugged wilderness in the northwest,
passing across into Alaska. It was built during mostly winter weather, in an
astonishing six months, mainly by the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
        An amazing construction achievement, that remains a practical memorial
to what can be done when the incentive is there; in this case a world war,
and the need to open a land route for military suplies to Alaska.
Regards -- Sidney Allinson.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:46:55 PDT
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Merrill's Marauders

MARAUDER'S BULLETIN,
(Merill's Marauders Association)
8307 Cricket Lane,
Matthews, NC 28105.

(Ref. from:     MILITARY PUBLICATIONS INTERNATIONAL DIRECTORY
                601 S. LaSalle Bldgs., Suite E-243,
                Chicago, IL 60605.  )

--

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 12:29:06 -0500
From:    Michael D Wallick <[email-masked]>
Subject: VET: Locating veterans

>From Ann Landers' column (Friday, September 16, 1994):

The American Legion now offers a service to help locate veterans.
For information, contact: Finders/Seekers at 1-800-449-VETS, or
write to VETS, P.O. Box 411007, St. Louis, Mo. 63141.  VETS charges
$15 to do a search, but the money will be refunded if there is no
information available.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 12:41:46 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Phillipine Invasion Unnecessary?

Hello, Steve!

>      (By the way, there is a school of thought that the General didn't do
>      too well in New Guinea, either).

    Where do you think Douglas MacArthur got his nickname as "Dug-out
Doug"? Read about the Buna-Gona campaign and that will give you a
good idea of the real Douglas MacArthur.

    Terry

>         Steve L. New                     .............................
>         Weapon System Manager            .............................
>         Battalion Countermine Set        ............ /\ .............
>         U.S. Army TACOM AMSTA-FR1D       ............/  \.............
>         DSN: 786-5403  FAX: 786-7788     ............    .............
>         EMAIL  [email-masked]   ............    .............
>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 13:39:31 EDT
From:    Alex M Spencer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seebees and SAS

Tony,
    The SAS was created during WWII under the command of David Stirling.
 Stirling took command of a remnant group of British Commandosknown as
 "Layforce."  This group was designated as "L Detachment" of the SAS.
 The SAS did not really exist.  The term was coined by Brigidier Dudley Clarke
 to have the Germans believe that British parachute troops arrived in the
 Middle East.  Stirling made a number of daring raids on German supply depots.
    To read about the formation of the SAS and Stirling's exploits, you may
 to try "The Phantom Major" by Virginia Cowles, this book was latter published
 under the title "Stirling's Desert Raiders."  For the post-war activities
 of the SAS try, Tony Geraghty's "Inside the S.A.S."

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 13:01:57 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Schwerer Gustav

Hello, Steve!

I will post the history and development of the Dora/Gustav weapon to
you and to others interested in this on the list this week.

Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 13:23:28 -0500
From:    "Danny G. Cox" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Peleliu{

It just seems to me that after the invasion plan is drawn up, all these
troops assembled, the task force put together and underway, it would
really have been a tough decision for Adm. Nimitz to call the attack off
just two days away, with the information he seems to have had.

It also seems the Pearl Harbor meeting would have factored into his
decision, maybe subconsciously, but I think it's there.  He's also being
advised it's not a real difficult target, 2 or 3 days and it'll fall.  On
the other hand you have Adm. Halsey advising him at the last minute to
call it off.

What exactly was the relationship between Nimitz and Halsey, and how did
Nimitz view Halsey as a strategist?

I don't know these things.  How about it you guys on this list, you
really are the PRO"S, I'd truly like to hear your thoughts on this.

+==================================+
|   DAN COX                        |
|   REPUBLIC, MO                   |
|   [email-masked]   |
+==================================+

On Mon, 19 Sep 1994, mc killop wrote:

>  >A couple of questions.
>  >
>  >1.  Didn't President Roosevelt meet with MacArthur, and Nimitz, at which
>  >time both presented their strategy about the Philippines.  MacArthur
>  >wanting to retake them, & Nimitz wanting to skip over.  Then didn't
>  >Roosevelt make the decision himself to accept MacArthurs wishes?
>
> Correct, the meeting took place in Hawaii and Mac's impassioned
> speech about liberating the Philippines carried the day.
>
>  >2.  If this meeting did take place was it before or after Peleliu?
>
> I think it was in the summer of '44.
>
>  >+==================================+
>  >|   DAN COX                        |
>  >|   REPUBLIC, MO                   |
>  >|   [email-masked]   |
>  >+==================================+
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> |  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
> |  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
> |  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
> |  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 13:47:31 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Seebees and SAS

Hello, Tony!

> I am also interested in learning more about the British SAS. Was the service
> around during WWII?

    Yes. David Stirling published him memoires called "Who Dares!
Wins!" I would recommend that work, and yes, it was around during
WWII, getting its start at that time. They were very effective in the
Western Desert, staging many hit-and-run raids on Rommel's supply
lines and communications. The title of the book is their motto.

    The SAS still exists, as far as I know.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 13:54:09 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: PACIFIC ANNIVERSARIES

Hello, Steve!

Thank you for your note, as well.

> BTW, my father never was in the service. His brother joined to go to
> Korea, and he got either a farmers or a surviving son deferment. Dad
> never talks about his family's war experience, and I never met Walt.

    I am really sorry to hear that.

> Interesting note about an interesting guy, to this day he and his brother
> do NOT get along. They won't go into the same room together. Again, no
> discernable reason.

    That is really tragic. Hopefully, at some point, these attitudes
will change.

    Thank you for writing, Steve, and all the best to you and your
family.

    Terry
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Steven E. Pudlo  - [email-masked] |"Life may be a drag BUT
> STC Programmer/Analyst - (203) 885-2343  |  it sure beats the only
> Three Rivers Community-Technical College |           known alternative"
> 574 New London Turnpike                  |                     (S.E.P.)
> Norwich, CT. U.S.A. 06360                |No one gets out of it alive..
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 13:27:55 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: ROLE OF ALASKA IN WWII

Hello, John!

Would like to add a couple of things to Jack's post to you.

>   Could someone give me a short lecture on the role of Alaska in WWII?

    Alaska also caused the Japanese some consternation, as this area
was viewed as the one place where the they would be vulnerable to
attack and possible invasion. For this reason, the Japanese stationed
significant elements of their navy, particularly in the Kuriles,
namely at the large Paramushiro naval base, for protection against
such an eventuality.

It was also from Alaska that the second air strike against Japan,
namely at the Paramushiro naval base, was mounted and carried out.

    From a more practical viewpoint, the hostile weather conditions
there gave an excellent opportunity to develop cold weather clothing
and equipment for subsequent operations.

    Thank you for allowing my two cents' worth on this.

    Brian Garfield's work "The Thousand Mile War" gives many insights
into this often-overlooked area of WWII operations.

    All the best.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 15:11:19 -0500
From:    Drew Halevy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Len Deighton

Drew Halevy
Department of History
University of Arkansas
[email-masked]

On Sun, 18 Sep 1994, Tim J. Watts wrote:

> I read Deighton's BOMBER and liked it very much.  Is BLOOD, TEARS AND
> FOLLY about errors and disasters in the direction of the war or something
> else? Can someone give me an idea?
> Tim J. Watts
> Valparaiso University

The book looks at some of the mistakes made before the war (i.e. the
British did not develop high velocity guns for their warships, the
British did not have watertight systems for thier battleships. ) and
mistakes made during the war (Rommel was brillant on the battlefield, but
he did not understand the more mundane but important ideas such as supply
lines and and such and that Rommel spent too much time blaming the
Italians for what was {according to Deighton} his own over extension of
himself on the battlefield) Deighton is very critical of the British, but
speaks well of the Americans (the book goes through 1942). I am about
half-way done, and it is an enjoyable book. I hope that he will write a
second volume that goes to the end of the war.-Drew

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 15:22:18 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Geographical situation and treatment of German POW

Hello, Pascal!

> We've all seen movies like Stalag 17,the Great Escape or Hogan's Heroes
> depicting life and escape attempts of allied prisoners in a more or less
> humorous way but are there any movies or documentation that shows where
> German prisonners were held in Allied lands.What was life in these camps?
> Was it any different than Allied prisonners?

    Life for German POW's in the hands of the Russians and French was
not good, to say the least. I have a very interesting article printed
in German that deals with this issue in great detail and will try to
find it and give you the publication info on it. It is too lengthy
and detailed to post in its entirety here.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 15:23:27 CDT
From:    Robert Hohlt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Admiral E. J. King

Howdy yall,

from Robert J. Granvin Tue, 30 Aug 1994:

 >... much deleted ...

 >The U.S. merchant fleet was devastated throughout the war,
 >mostly in the beginning when they weren't escorted and the coastal cities
 >never blacked out (making it a turkey shoot for the U-boats).  Yet, most
 >people don't even realize that ships were sunk within sight of the "safe"
 >U.S. beaches by enemy action.

 > ... much deleted ...

and from Steve L. New Thu, 15 Sep 1994:

 > ... much deleted ...

 >At the same time, we were fully aware that they
 >might renew the actions in the Coral Sea -- even though they had
 >recently been 'stung' there."

 >  "So to this extent we were prepared for the assault upon
 >   Midway, and recognized that Alaska might also be attacked."

 >   -- Admiral E. J. King, statement at press conference,
 >      June 7, 1942, in Navy Department Press Release.
 >      Operational Archives Branch, Naval Historical Center.

I had been impressed with this Admiral E. J. King until I saw a documentary
on the early U-Boat happy hunting ground / slaughtering ground just off our
east coast.

The documentary named Admiral King as being in charge and of stating the
U-Boat problem didn't exist?!?

Maybe Admiral King was mis-quoted by the press, or I misunderstood the
documentary.  What was his role in the Pacific?

Anyone???

Robert Hohlt, Jr.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 15:35:54 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mac and the Philippines (was Peleliu and Morotai)

Hello, Peter!

> The real question is, was possession of Okinawa and the Marianas
> sufficient to mount an invaision of Japan?  Were the Philippines, or
> rather the facilities there, required for this purpose?  Were they need
> for the invaision on Okinawa itself?

    Okinawa was an essential conquest to carry out the projected
invasion of Japan. Equipment and supplies for operation OLYMPIC
were already being stockpiled on the island just after its
capture. From what I have read of this highly interesting facet of
the war, Okinawa was to be the main staging area for the invasion of
Japan.

    Thus to answer your question, the answer is an emphatic yes.

> Clearly, an efficient strategy would have been to take only those parts
> or islands of the Philippines required for future operations.  If that is
> so, and attacks on other Philippine Islands were a waste of manpower, so
> say nothing of other resources, what were the Australians doing mucking
> about in Borneo?

    I don't think that the employment of US forces in the Philippines
was a waste of manpower. There was the fact that there were still
many American and Philippino POW's held there and to not attempt to
liberate them would have caused a furor in this country. Also, the
Philippinos themselves had sacrificed much, along with us, in those
dark days of Japanese conquest. Not to mention the fact that the
Philippine Islands had been administered by the US since the Spanish-
American War, and there was much pro-American sentiment there, as
well.

    There were also substantial Japanese forces stationed in the
Philippines that could not simply be by-passed. There were other
political reasons as well, not to mention MacArthur's own attraction
to reclaiming lost American honor.

    Just some thoughts and thanks.

    All the best.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 14:18:09 -0800
From:    Yarbrough James L <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Admiral E. J. King

Admiral King was the Chief of Naval Operations.  Sort of the highest Mucky-muck
in the navy.  He was also a serious Anglo-phobe.  He detested the English.

He mistrusted the English and everything they had to say about the U-boat
problem.  A very good book that includes Admiral King's opinions is 'Operation
Drumbeat' by one of the U-boat commanders (I forget which one).

I'm sure others can provide other details,
Jim

[email-masked]

New rules adopted by the agency require me to state that all my opinions are
mine, not that anybody else would want them, and not to hold the State of
Oregon or anybody else responsible.
_______________________________________________________________________________
The documentary named Admiral King as being in charge and of stating the
U-Boat problem didn't exist?!?

Maybe Admiral King was mis-quoted by the press, or I misunderstood the
documentary.  What was his role in the Pacific?

Anyone???

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 16:28:31 -0500
From:    "William L. Huber - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Geographical situation and treatment of German POW

>  About two or three years ago there was a fairly good TV docudrama about
> a political murder in a German PoW camp in the US midwest and the American
> civilian lawyer who was brought in to defend the accused. The gist of the
> story was that, in the face of weak American administrators, a group of
> Nazi fanatics had taken over the running of the camp. Don't remember much
> else, but I'm certain it was based on a book previously published.
>
> Henry Sirotin
>

Sounds like _The Killing of Corporal Kunze_ the prosecuting attorney
was Leon Jaworski (of Watergate fame) who was a JAG officer during the
war.  Five or six German NCOs were charged in Kunze's murder at Camp
Tonkawa in Oklahoma.  All were hanged in 1945 or 46 having been found
guilty [could be wrong about the year but it did seem late].  One of
the factors in the case was concern for the safety of US troops held
by the Germans and fear of reprisals so the sentences were slow in
implementation.

Cheers, Bill Huber / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 16:39:00 -0500
From:    "William L. Huber - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NAVAJO CODE TALKERS

Re: Navajo Indian coded communications

I heard it was tried in Europe but with less success because one
outfit would have a Kiowa and the next would have a Cherokee and
neither could understand the other.  The thought was "Well, yer 'n
Indian, ain't chuh?"  Didn't quite work out .....  Military Cultural
Anthropology - hmmmmm.

"Booker, get me my unifoooooooorm!"

Cheers, Bill Huber / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 16:47:21 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Admiral King

Wasn't Admiral King Chief of Naval Operations during the war?  From what
I understand, he was not a man to cross.  If I was a career officer and
he told me there was no U-Boat problem, I would agree, even if I could
see the conning tower in the Potomac.
Tim Watts

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 17:38:13 -0500
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Medal of Honor

It turns out that the pension for MOH winners was increased from $200
to $400 in November 1993 (P.L. 103-161).  Still not much, but I guess
this is an improvement.  It is tax-free.  The cite is 38 USC 1562, if
you are near a copy of the US Code.

I also ran across legislation establishing a Congressional Medal of
Honor Society, which is charged with aid to members, widows and
children, among other things.  The qualification for membership is
to be a winner of the MOH; a select group to be sure.  Since it is
established by Congress, I assume that the Society is funded by the
federal government.  I would hope that it could do something for those
members who are below the poverty line.  Anybody got any idea of how
many assets they have and how they distribute them?
Tim J. Watts
Valparaiso University

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 22:05:00 UTC
From:    "Edward S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Phillipine Invasion Unnec

  A distinction should be drawn between Leyte and Luzon.  All Pacific
commanders agreed on taking Leyte (a last-minute switch from a landing on
Mindanao).  It was a logical junction of the two Pacific drives.  The
landings drew the Japanese fleet out to final destruction.  In the attrition
fighting at Leyte the US further bled Japanese air and naval units.  The
great US naval base at Leyte-Samar -- one of a trio planned for the final
phase, the others being Guam and Okinawa -- was operating and repairing the
fleet by the summer of '45.
  And Luzon?  Manila was destroyed and 100,000 Filipinos died.  US
casualties were high ashore and from kamikazes afloat.  The island played no
further role in the war.  The original justification, a stepping stone to
China, had long since been abandoned.
  Maybe Luzon would have become a staging place for invading Japan =IF=
there had been no A-bomb and =IF= the Russians hadn't entered and =IF=
Truman had ordered a bloodbath at the end of a war and =IF= the Japanese had
not surrendered anyway as they were desperately trying to do.  A lot of
=IFs=.
  The justification for Luzon was political, and perhaps it was a good
decision.  No telling how many Filipinos would have starved.
  Incidentally as early as the 1920s War Plan Orange envisioned skipping
from the southern Philippines to Okinawa.
  Edward S. Miller    [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Sep 1994 09:06:49 +1000
From:    John Foster <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MAC AND THE PHILIP

>A better question would be "What were the Austrlians doing mucking about
>Bougainville?"

The experience of most small countries when fighting under command of the super
powers is that you either get used as cannon fodder or relegated to the
backblocks when "glory " is up for grabs. Part of Mccarthur's stage management
and a fact of life.
   Regards
    John

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 17:02:57 -0600
From:    Dave Neil <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mac and the Phillipines

An excellent book on guerilla operations in the Phillipines during
the Japanese occupation is "They Fought Alone" written by (I believe)
Col. Wendell Fertig.  Col. Fertig was one of the (many) leaders of
the resistance.  Fascinating account - they made bullets out of curtain
rods cut into sections and rubbed to a point on rocks by Filipino women!

                        Dave Neil
                        Systems Analyst
                        Fort Lewis College
                        Durango, CO  81031

                        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 21:02:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 20 SEP 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 20 SEPTEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-6, North American Mustang
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, P-47s hit the Kadu rail siding,
Nyaungbintha, Indaw, and troops at Hkaungtung; 3 B-25s weathered out of the
Bhamo area hit alternates at Indaw; C-47s continue large-scale operations to
several points in the CBI.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 27 B-25s bomb Lingling, Chuanhsien,
and Kiyang and hit targets of opportunity throughout the Chuanhsien area;
100+ P-51s and P-40s on armed reconnaissance over wide areas of SE China
attack troops, horses, trucks, shipping, and other targets of opportunity,
particularly concentrating on areas around Chuanhsien, Lingling, Kiyang,
Changsha, and Yiyang.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  AIRBORNE OPERATIONS (IX Troop Carrier Command): HQ IX Troop Carrier Command
moves from Grantham to Ascot, England.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 679 P-38s, P-47s and P-51s are
dispatched to support the First Allied Airborne Army in the Arnhem and
Nijmegen areas of the Netherlands; 644 aircraft strafe and bomb ground
targets; intense light flak claims 1 P-51 plus 1 P-38, 1 P-47 and 1 P-51
damaged beyond repair and 3 P-47s and 4 P-51s damaged; air attacks aid ground
troops in taking valuable bridges in the area and in the advance toward
Arnhem.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In Germany, about 40 B-26s hit the
marshalling yard at Trier and defensive positions at Herbach to complicate
rail transportation and aid in the Allied ground attack on Aachen; fighters
fly air cover for the US V and VII Corps in W Germany near the Dutch boundary
and the US XV and XX Corps in the Nancy, France area, and fly armed
reconnaissance over the Bonn, Mannheim, Hamburg, Koblenz, and Ruhr Valley
areas. In Belgium, the 109th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, 67th Tactical
Reconnaissance Group, moves from Buc to Gosselies with F-6s; and the 153d
Liaison Squadron, IX Tactical Air Command (attached to First Army), moves
from Stree to Verviers with L-5s. In France, the 406th Fighter Squadron,
371st Fighter Group, moves from Beuzeville to Perthes with P-47s; and the
512th Fighter Squadron, 406th Fighter Group, moves from St Leonard to
Mourmelon-le-Grand with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Hungary, 500 B-17s and B-24s
escorted by P-38s and P-51s attack 3 railroad bridges at Budapest, 2
marshalling yards at Hatvan and 1 at Gyor and, in Czechoslovakia, bomb
Malacky Airfield and the Bratislava oil district.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, the 27th and 79th
Fighter Groups are added to HQ XII Fighter Command which on this day begins
operations in support of the US Fifth Army; weather again grounds medium
bombers and severely restricts fighters which fly uneventful reconnaissance
missions; the 427th Night Fighter Squadron, Twelfth AF (attached to 62d
Fighter Wing), departs Pomigliano for India with P-61s. In France, HQ 324th
Fighter Group and the 316th Fighter Squadron move from Amberieu to Tavaux
with P-47s; the 437th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 319th Bombardment Group
(Medium), moves from Decimomannu, Sardinia to Serragia, Corsica with B-26s;
and the 442d and 443d Bombardment Squadrons (Medium), 320th Bombardment
Group (Medium), move from Decimomannu, Sardinia to Alto, Corsica with B-26s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): P-47s from Saipan Island bomb and strafe gun
positions on Pagan Island.  A lone B-24 on armed reconnaissance bombs Marcus
Island. B-24s in the Marshall Islands hit Jaluit Atoll while Makin Island,
Gilbert Islands-based B-25s pound Nauru Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: Despite poor
weather over Celebes Island, the Menado area is again attacked and B-24s hit
Mapanget and Sidate Airfields and supply dumps and other targets of
opportunity. On Halmahera Island, B-24s hit Djailolo and A-20s and P-47s
during the night of 19/20 Sep strike Kaoe Airfields. B-24s, B-25s, and
fighter-bombers, striking during the night of 19/20 Sep and during the day,
pound airfields at Amahai on Ceram Island, Namlea on Buru Island, Liang and
Laha on Amboina Island, the town of Lautem on Timor Island, and several
targets of opportunity. During the night of 20/21 Sep a few B-24s again hit
the Menado and Sidate area on Celebes Island. In New Guinea, fighter-bombers
hit AA guns and targets of opportunity at Moemi and Ransiki Airfields and hit
a supply dump further E along the Orai River; the 75th Bombardment Squadron
(Medium), 42d Bombardment Group (Medium), moves from Hollandia to Sansapor
with B-25s; the 80th Fighter Squadron, 8th Fighter Group, moves from Owi,
Schouten Islands to Morotai Island with P-38s; the 370th and 372d Bombardment
Squadrons (Heavy), 307th Bombardment Group (Heavy), based on Wakde Island
with B-24s, begin operating from Noemfoor Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

20/0105Z SEP

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 21:18:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: RNZAF P-40s

Someone corrected me today about the Royal New Zealand operating the
Curtiss P-40.  After a little checking, I found the RNZAF had seven
squadrons equipped with RAF Kittyhawks as follows:

Kittyhawk Mk IA (Curtiss Model H87-A3 and -A4 = USAAF P-40E): 62 RAF
aircraft delivered to RNZAF

Kittyhawk Mk II (Curtiss Model H87-BE = USAAF P-40F and P-40L): 1 RAF
P-40L delivered to RNZAF

Kittyhawk Mk III (= USAAF P-40K, P-40L and P-40M): 23 RAF P-40Ks and 35 RAF
P-40Ms delivred to RNZAF

Kittyhawk Mk IV (Curtiss Model H87V and H87W = USAAF P-40N): 172 RAF
aircraft delivered to RNZAF

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 22:16:01 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: GREAT NEED FOR TORPEDO

I strongly suggest that you check with the Navy Historical Library in the
Washington Navy Yard. There is hardly any Navy-oriented book it does not have.
You might also check with the Naval Research Center Library, also in
Washington. I find it difficult to believe that neither one would have a copy
of the publication you seek. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 22:45:41 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MAC AND THE PHILIP

Cassady, CMH is reprinting its Green Book series, only in paperback. I suggest
that you contact that office or check with GPO to see if it is selling them.
Maps still accompany each publication, and there is some interesting artwork on
each cover. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 22:46:37 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIRAL E. J. KING

Adm King was the Chief of Naval Operations throughout the war and he also took
the title COMINCH for himself. He was said to be so tough that he shaved with a
blow torch. He was exactly the kind of leader the Navy needed during the war
and he and Nimitz formed a formidable team, although I think that King was the
stronger man. It was due to his arguing and pushing that the Pacific War was
never placed on the back burner despite the Allied decision re/Germany first.
Retd Cdr Thomas Buell has written an excellent biography, and Morison's history
of the Navy in WWII is an excellent reference also. A very interesting and
determined man. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 22:46:41 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: SEEBEES AND SAS

May I recommend also "Popski's Private Army?" Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 22:46:44 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MAC AND THE PHILIP

The overweening reason for the Philippines invasion was MacArthur's promise to
return, an argument he made very strongly at the Pearl Harbor conference with
FDR, Nimitz, and King. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Sep 1994 22:46:47 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: WAR PLAN YELLOW

Ed, have you ever heard of War Plan Yellow. A researcher came in today and said
that he read one of Allan Millett's books in which he passingly mentioned WP
Yellow. Do you have any suggestion where he can find out about it? Ben Frank

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 18 Sep 1994 to 19 Sep 1994
*************************************************