Subject: WWII-L Digest - 28 Oct 1994 to 29 Oct 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1994 00:00:52 -0400

There are 22 messages totalling 1432 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Pearl Harbor
  2. [WEAP] Battleships sunk by torpedos/gunfire (2)
  3. [WEAP] special armor-piercing bombs at Pearl Harbor (3)
  4. WEAP:  CVE-68 USS Kalinin Bay
  5. WEAP: P-38 / F-4 / F-5
  6. INF: 50 Years Ago - 30-OCT-1944
  7. WEAP:  CV-11 USS Intrepid
  8. % World War 2 (Hitler successor)
  9. WEAP: CVE-69  USS Kasaan Bay
 10. Battleships sunk by torpedoes/gunfire
 11. USS Salem
 12. Hungarian Airborne Operations
 13. Books:WWI-East Front
 14. Tactics:the quality of arms and armies
 15. "Old 59" (3)
 16. [INF] USAAF 30 OCT 44
 17. WWII MEMOIRS

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 28 Oct 1994 19:06:12 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pearl Harbor

Thanks Ron Babuka for your comments about your recent visit to the
Arizona Memorial.  i will pass a copy of your post to the ranger staff as
they always appriciate feedback.  I am duly impressed that you were on
your honeymoon, I thought I noticed a twinkle in your eye and now who I
know was your bride.

Sorry I did not have the chance to spend personal time with you on your
visit, that was a hectic day as I was moving my office and had just
returned from a trip.

Being a part of the Arizona Memorial is such a special job for me.  My
father was a Pearl Harbor survivor and I grew up with his stories.  As a
young boy I accompanied him during the 25th anniversary when he first
returned to Pearl Harbor after the war.  It was momentous for me to watch
his emotions as we arrived on the Memorial and he read the list of
names.  He found one name on the wall, and told me how he had been on
liberty the night before the attack with his friend from the Arizona.
>From the Memorial he pointed out a signal tower in the shipyard.  That
tower has a radio shack on top of it and it controls the ship traffic in
and out of the harbor.  From it flys the signal flags, etc.  It is also
the tower that is referred to as where the "ball" is raised to signal
when to raise morning colors.  My Dad was the radio operator in that
tower on Dec 7th land watched it all from the highest point in the harbor.

Especially now that my father has passed away, I get so emotional over my
job and feel so honored.  I enjoy going out to the Memorial and looking
over the harbor and looking at the tower and trying to visualize what it
was like.  Part of my job, actually a major focus is to dive on the
shipwreck.  I continue to do research on the sunken battleship and
monitor the  biofouling and corrosion, etc. that is going on.  I have had
the honor of burying former crewmembers of the Arizona that survived the
attack and recently passed on.  An urn with their cremated ashes are
placed inside the ship with their former shipmates.

Recently we found in the National Archives recently declassifed records
from Pearl Harbor attack.  Included was all the message traffic my Dad
sent ount on the teletype that morning during the attack.  What a
treasure for me to be able to hold and read what he put out that morning
and to recognize his handwriting.

When I was in the Marine Corps, I remember coming back on ship from my
first overseas tour.  We pulled into Pearl Harbor on the morning of the
Marine Corps Birthday (10 November).  It was so moving to be on deck with
my platoon, standing at attention rendering honors to the Arizona as we
passed by.

Yeah, the Arizona Memorial is a great place, and I love my job.

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS        (808) 423-7300
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 28 Oct 1994 19:17:16 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [WEAP] Battleships sunk by torpedos/gunfire

Roger Coon, thanks for the compliment.

Yes the Japanese used AP bombs, actually they were 18inch battleship
shells reconfigured as bombs.  More to the point, they were Type 99, No.
80 Mk 5, 800 kg (1,756 pounds).  Itt carried a small 50 pound bursting
charge.  During the penetration trials, the No. 80 penetrated 5.9 inches
of homogenous steel from a height of 2,500 meters (8,200 feet).  These
were the bombs carried by the high level bombers - the Type 97 "Kate".
Each Kate carried a singel 800 kg bomb.  During the PH attack they
dropped from 10,000 feet.

The dive bombers (Type 99 "Vals") carried a single type 99 No. 25
anti-ship bomb.  These were 250 kg (551 pounds) and had a 135 pound
explosive charge that could penetrate 1.9 inches of steel plate.  Used on
softer targets, such as the deck of a carrier.

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS        (808) 423-7300
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 28 Oct 1994 19:34:11 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [WEAP] Battleships sunk by torpedos/gunfire

Thanks Mike.  Regarding the BBs sinking that morning, if it was not for
the fact that they all had their water tight integrity gone due to the
admiral's inspection, they were designed to withstand the torpedo damage
they received..  Lucky USN that Pearl Harbor is shallow!

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
Cultural Resource Manager
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS       (808) 422-2771  extension 130
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 28 Oct 1994 19:39:01 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [WEAP] special armor-piercing bombs at Pearl Harbor

I don't know if they were from the Nagato, but they were battleship
rounds.  I'll check with the historian on Monday and see what he knows.

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
Cultural Resource Manager
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS       (808) 422-2771  extension 130
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

On Fri, 28 Oct 1994, Robert Hohlt wrote:

> Jim Adams,
>
> As Roger Coon, and Mike asked about before I have always heard or
> read in the popular history that these special bombs were AP
> shells from NAGATOs guns.  Is that still the belief?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Robert Hohlt, Jr.
>

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 08:14:35 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP:  CVE-68 USS Kalinin Bay

The following is an attached File item from cc:Mail.  It contains
eight bit information which had to be encoded to insure successful trans-
mission through various mail systems.  To decode the file use the UUDECODE
program.
--------------------------------- Cut Here ---------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 08:18:34 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: P-38 / F-4 / F-5

    Derek,

    Let me at my sources, I'll have something for you soon.

    Steve

    Steve L. New
    [email-masked]
    Just an armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 05:54:52 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 30-OCT-1944

On 30-OCT-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The Canadian II Corps reaches the Walcheren Channel. In
the US 7th Army sector, the 45th Division captures St Benoit.

Italian Front - In the British V Corps sector, the 10th Indian Division
reaches Meldola. The 4th Division fails in an attempt to cross the Ronco.

Philippines - The 17th Infantry captures Dagami.

Pacific - The carrier Franklin and light carrier Belleau Wood are damaged in
kamikaze attacks.

The Homefront
-------------
Three Japanese Prisoners Killed - Three Japanese naval prisoners were shot and
killed last night when they rushed guards at Fitzsimmons General Hospital in
Denver. The same three prisoners attempted suicide more than two months ago.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "Facts On File Yearbook 1944,
Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.netcom.com in directory /pub/jbd and can
be accessed via the WWW by URL: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/jbd/ww2.html. If you
have difficulty accessing the Netcom FTP server, please keep trying because it
stays very busy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis     [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 10:14:35 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP:  CV-11 USS Intrepid

From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships, Vol. III, 1968, Navy
Department, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Naval History
Division, Washington, D.C.

INTREPID CV-11

dp. 27,100;
l. 872';
b. 147' 6";
dr. 28' 7";
s. 33 k.;
cpl. 3,448;
a. 12 5", 68 40-mm., over 80 ac.;
cl. ESSEX

The fourth INTREPID was launched 26 April 1943, by Newport News
Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; sponsored by Mrs. John
Howard Hoover; and commissioned 16 August, Captain Thomas L. Sprague in
command.

After training in the Caribbean INTREPID departed Norfolk 3 December
1943 for San Francisco, then to Hawaii. She arrived Pearl Harbor 10
January and prepared for the invasion of the Marshall Islands, the next
objective in the Navy's mighty island-hopping campaign. She sortied from
Pearl Harbor with carriers CABOT and ESSEX 16 January to raid islands at
the northeastern corner of Kwajalein Atoll 29 January 1944 and pressed
the attack until the last opposition had vanished 2 February. The raids
destroyed all of the 83 Japanese planes based on Roi and Namur before
the first landings were made on adjacent islets 31 January.  That
morning INTREPID's planes strafed Ennuebing Island until 10 minutes
before the first marines reached the beaches. Half an hour later that
islet, which protected Roi's southwestern flank and controlled the North
Pass into Kwajalein Lagoon, was secured, enabling marines to set up
artillery to support their assault on Roi.

Her work in the capture of the Marshall Islands finished, INTREPID
headed for Truk, the tough Japanese base in the center of Micronesia.
Three fast carrier groups arrived undetected daybreak of the 17th,
sinking two destroyers and 200,000 tons of merchant shipping in 2 days
of almost continuous attacks. Moreover, the carrier raid demonstrated
Truk's vulnerability and thereby greatly curtailed its usefulness to the
Japanese as a base.

The night of 17 February 1944 an aerial torpedo struck INTREPID's
starboard quarter, 15 feet below her waterline, flooding several
compartments and jamming her rudder hard to port. By racing her port
screw and idling her starboard engine, Captain Sprague kept her on
course until 2 days later strong winds swung her back and forth and
tended to weathercock her with her bow pointed toward Tokyo. Sprague
later confessed: "Right then I wasn't interested in going in that
direction." At this point the crew fashioned a jury-rig sail of hatch
covers and scrap canvas which swung INTREPID about and held
her on course. Decorated by her crazy-quilt sail, INTREPID
stood into Pearl Harbor 24 February 1944.

After temporary repairs, INTREPID sailed for the West
Coast 16 March and arrived Hunter's Point, Calif., the
22d. She was back in fighting trim a June and departed
for 2 months of operations out of Pearl Harbor, then to
the Marshalls.

INTREPID's planes struck Japanese position in the Palaus 6 and 7
September concentrating on airfields and
artillery emplacements on Peleliu. The next day her fast
carrier task force steamed west toward the southern
Philippines to strike airfields on Mindanao 9 and 10 September. Then,
after raids on bases in the Visayan Sea
12 through 14 September, she returned to the Palaus 17
September to support marines in overcoming fanatical
opposition from hillside caves and mangrove swamps on
Peleliu.

When the struggle on that deadly island settled down
to rooting Japanese defenders out of the ground on a
man to man basis, INTREPID steamed back to the Philippines to prepare
the way for liberation.

She struck throughout the Philippines, also pounding
Okinawa and Formosa to neutralize Japanese air threats
to Leyte.

As INTREPID's planes flew missions in support of the
Leyte landings 20 October 144, Japan's Navy, desperately
striving to hold the Philippines, was converging on Leyte
Gulf from three directions. Ships of the U.S. Navy parried thrusts in
four major actions collectively known as
the Battle for Leyte Gulf.

The morning of 24 October, an INTREPID plane spotted
Admiral Kurita's flagship, YAMATO. Two hours later,
planes from INTREPID and CABOT braved intense antiaircraft fire to begin
a day-long attack on Center Force.
Wave after wave followed until by sunset American carrier-based planes
had sunk mighty battleship MUSASHI
with her mammoth 18-inch guns and had damaged her
sister ship YAMATO along with battleships NAGATO and
HARUNA and heavy cruiser MYOKO forcing the latter to
withdraw.

That night Admiral Halsey's 3d Fleet raced north to
intercept Japan's Northern Force which had been spotted
of the northeastern tip of Luzon. At daybreak the tireless fliers went
aloft to attack the Japanese ships then off
Cape Engano. One of INTREPID's planes got a bomb into
light carrier ZUIHO to begin the harvest. Then American
bombers sank her sister ship CHITOSI, and a plane from
either INTREPID or SAN JACINTO scored with a torpedo in
large carrier ZUIKAKU knocking out her communications
and hampering her steering. Destroyer AYITSUKI went to
the bottom and at least 9 of Ozawa's 15 planes were shot
down.

On through the day the attack continued and, after five
more strikes, Japan had lost four carriers and a destroyer.

The still potent Center Force, after pushing through
San Bernardino Strait, had steamed south along the coast
of Samar where it was held at bay by a little escort carrier group of
six "baby flattops", three destroyers, and
four destroyer escorts until help arrived to send it fleeing
in defeat back towards Japan.

As INTREPID's planes hit Clark Field 30 October a burning kamikaze
crashed into one of the carrier's port gun
tubs killing 10 men and wounding 6. Soon skillful damage control work
enabled the flattop to resume flight operations.

INTREPID's planes continued to hit airfields and shipping
in the Philippines.

Shortly after noon 25 November a heavy force of Japanese planes struck
back at the carriers. Within 5 minutes
2 kamikazes crashed into the carrier killing 6 officers and
5 bluejackets. INTREPID never lost propulsion nor left
her station in the task group; and. in less than 2 hours,
had extinguished the last blaze. The next day, INTREPID
headed for San Francisco, arriving 20 December for repairs.

Back in fighting trim in mid-February 1945, the carrier steamed for
Ulithi, arriving 13 March. The next day
she pushed on eastward for powerful strikes against airfields on Kyushu,
Japan, 18 March. That morning a twin
engine "Betty" broke through a curtain of defensive fire
turned toward INTREPID and exploded only 50 feet off INTREPID's forward
boat crane. A shower of flaming gasoline
and plane parts started fires on the hangar deck, out damage control
experts quickly snuffed them out.

INTREPID's planes joined attacks on remnants of the
Japanese fleet anchored at Kure damaging 18 enemy naval
vessels including super battleship YAMATO and carrier
AMAGI. Then the carriers turned to Okinawa as D-Day
of the most ambitious amphibious assault of the Pacific
war approached. Their planes lashed the Ryukyus 26 and
27 March, softening up enemy defensive works. Then, as
the invasion began 1 April, they flew support missions
against targets on Okinawa and made neutralizing raids
against Japanese airfields in range of the embattled
island.

During an air raid 16 April, a Japanese plane dove into
INTREPID's flight deck forcing the engine and part of her
fuselage right on through, killing 8 men and wounding
21. In less than an hour the flaming gasoline had been
extinguished, and only 3 hours after the crash, planes
were again landing on the carrier.

The following day, INTREPID retired homeward via Ulithi
and Pearl Harbor arriving San Francisco 19 May for
repairs.

INTREPID stood out of San Francisco 29 June and enlivened her westward
voyage 6 August as her planes
smashed Japanese on by-passed Wake Island. The next
day she arrived Eniwetok where she received word 15
August to "cease offensive operations."

The veteran carrier got under way 21 August to support the occupation of
Japan. She departed Yokosuka 2
December and arrived San Pedro, Calif., 15 December
1945.

INTREPID shifted to San Francisco Bay 4 February 1948.
Her status was reduced to "in commission in reserve"
15 August before decommissioning 22 March 1947 and
joining the Pacific Reserve Fleet.

INTREPID recommissioned at San Francisco 9 February
1952 and got underway 12 March for Norfolk. She decommissioned in the
Norfolk Naval Shipyard 9 April 1952
for conversion to a modern attack aircraft carrier. Reclassified CVA-11
1 October, she recommissioned in reserve 18 June 1954. She became the
first carrier in history
to launch aircraft with American-built steam catapults 13
October 1954. Two days later she went into full commission as a unit of
the Atlantic Fleet.

After shakedown out of Guantanamo Bay 1955, INTREPID
departed Mayport, Fla., 28 May 1955 for the first of two
deployments in the Mediterranean with the 6th Fleet,
mainstay in preventing Communist aggression in Europe
and the Middle East. She returned to Norfolk from the
second of these cruises 5 September 195. The carrier
got under way 29 September for a 7-month modernization
overhaul in the New York Navy Yard, followed by refresher training out
of Guantanamo Bay.

Boasting a reinforced angle flight deck and a mirror
landing system, INTREPID departed the United States in
September 1957 for NATO's Operation "Strikeback", the
largest peacetime naval exercise up to that time in history. Operating
out of Norfolk in December she conducted Operation "Crosswind", a study
of the effects of
wind on carrier launches. INTREPID proved that carriers
can safely conduct flight operations without turning into
the wind and even launch planes while steaming downwind.

During the next 4 years INTREPID alternated Mediterranean deployments
with operations along the Atlantic
coast of the United States and exercises in the Caribbean.
On 8 December 1961 she was reclassified to an antisubmarine warfare
support carrier, CVS-11. She entered
the Norfolk Navy Yard 10 March 1962 to be overhauled and refitted for
her new antisubmarine warfare role.  She left the shipyard 2 April
carrying Air Antisubmarine Group 56.

After training exercises, INTREPID was selected as the principal ship in
the recovery team for Astronaut Scott Carpenter and his Project Mercury
space capsule. Shortly before noon on 24 May 1962, Carpenter splashed
down in AURORA 7 several hundred miles from INTREPID. Minutes after he
was located by land-based search aircraft, two helicopters from
INTREPID, carrying NASA officials, medical experts, Navy frogmen, and
photographers, were airborne and headed to the rescue. One of the
choppers picked him up over an hour later and flew him to the carrier
which safely returned him to the United States.

After training midshipmen at sea in the summer and a thorough overhaul
at Norfolk in the fall, the carrier departed Hampton Roads 23 January
1963 for warfare exercises in the Caribbean. Late in February she
interrupted these operations to join a sea hunt for Venezuelan
freighter, ANZOATEGUI whose mutinous second mate had led a group of pro-
Castro terrorists in hijacking the vessel. After the Communist pirates
had surrendered at Rio de Janeiro, the carrier returned to Norfolk 23
March 1963.

INTREPID operated along the Atlantic Coast for the next year from Nova
Scotia to the Caribbean perfecting her antisubmarine techniques. She
departed Norfolk 11 June 1964 carrying midshipmen to the Mediterranean
for a hunter-killer at sea training with the 6th Fleet. While in the
Mediterranean, INTREPID aided in the surveillance of a Soviet task
group. En route home her crew learned that she had won the coveted
Battle Efficiency "E" for antisubmarine warfare during the previous
fiscal year.

INTREPID operated along the East Coast during the fall. Early in
September she entertained 22 NATO statesmen as part of their tour of
U.S. military installations. She was at Yorktown 18 to 19 October 1964
for ceremonies commemorating Lord Cornwallis' surrender 183 years
before.

During a brief deployment off North Carolina, swift and efficient rescue
procedures on the night of 21 November 1964 saved the life of an airman
who had plunged overboard while driving an aircraft towing tractor.

Early in the next year INTREPID began preparations for a vital role in
NASA's first manned Gemini flight. On 23 March 1965 Lt. Comdr. John W.
Young and Maj. Virgil I. Grissom in MOLLY BROWN splashed down some 50
miles from INTREPID after history's first controlled re-entry into the
earth's atmosphere ended in the pair's nearly perfect three-orbit
flight. A Navy helicopter lifted the astronauts from the spacecraft and
flew them to INTREPID for medical examination and debriefing. Later
INTREPID retrieved MOLLY BROWN and returned the spaceship and astronauts
to Cape Kennedy.

After this mission INTREPID entered the Brooklyn Navy Yard in April for
a major overhaul to bring her back to peak combat readiness.

This was the final Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization (FRAM) job
performed by the New York Naval Shipyard, Brooklyn, N.Y., slated to
close after more than a century and a half of service to the nation.  In
September, INTREPID, with her work approximately 75 percent completed,
eased down the East River to moor at the Naval Supply Depot at Bayonne,
N.J., for the completion of her multi-million dollar overhaul. After
builder's sea trials and fitting out at Norfolk she sailed to Guantanamo
on shakedown.

Mid-1966 found INTREPID with the Pacific Fleet off Vietnam. Here her
gallant pilots delivered powerful blows for freedom and scored what is
believed to be one of the fastest aircraft launching times recorded by
an American carrier.  Nine A-4 Skyhawks and six A-1 Skyraiders, loaded
with bombs and rockets, were catapulted in 7 minutes, with only 28-
second intervals between launches. A few days later planes were launched
at 26-second intervals. After 7 months of outstanding service with the
7th Fleet off Vietnam, INTREPID returned to Norfolk having earned her
Commanding Officer, Captain John W. Fair, the Legion of Merit for combat
operations in Southeast Asia.

In June of 1967, INTREPID returned to the Western Pacific by way of the
Suez Canal just prior to its closing during the Arab-Israeli crisis.
There she began another tour with the 7th Fleet to safeguard the peace
and freedom of the world, for, as Daniel Webster said in 1834, "God
grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard
and defend it."

    Steve L. New
    [email-masked]
    Just an armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 09:18:32 -0500
From:    Greg Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: % World War 2 (Hitler successor)

On Fri, 28 Oct 1994, T.F. Mills wrote:

> Jarrod Nawojski asks:
>
> < I just needed a quick fact concerning Hitler.  Who would have taken
> < command if he would have been killed in the course of the war?  It would
> < be helpful for my history class.
>
>
> I'm not sure who Hitler's designated successors were between 1941 and
> May 1945.  Hermann Goering was also a deputy leader, but his
> incompetent meddling in military affairs and his drug dependency
> whittled away virtually all his authority by 1943.
>

incompetent, maybe, but Goering was indeed the designated successor
determined by Hitler following the outbreak of the war.  It was only in
April 1945 when Goering sent a telegram to Hitler asking whether his
(Hitler's) decision to remain in the Fuehrerbunker in a virtually
isolated & surrounded Berlin meant that he (Goering) should assume
command of the Reich as specified in a Fuehrer decree of 1939 or 1940
(hey, I'm doing this from memory.  My copies of Goering's bios, THE LAST
100 DAYS, and other assorted references are at home).  With a little
encouragement from Martin Bormann, Hitler flew into yet another of his
rages, stripped Goering of all of his titles, and named Doenitz as his
new successor (much to Doenitz's surprise).

As I recall there was some division of power in Hitler's line of succession.
Hess & later Bormann were to receive Hitler's position with the NS-DAP,
but Goering was to inherit the "robes of state" as head of Germany.  Of
course, how this would have been done in actuality is anyone's guess.
Himmler, Goebbels, and who knows who else would certainly have made their
own plays for "the throne", so to speak.

Ion Antonescu, Conducatator of Rumania, does NOT appear to have been in
the line of succession for Hitler's job.  Too bad....

                                         Glad To Be Of Service!

                                         Greg Kelley
                                         St. Paul Public Library
                                         [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 11:14:34 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: CVE-69  USS Kasaan Bay

From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships, Vol. III, 1968, Navy
Department, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Naval History
Division, Washington, D.C.

KASAAN BAY (CVE-69)

dp. 7,800 ;
l. 512' 3";
b. 65';
ew. 108' 1";
dr. 22' 6";
s. 18 k.;
cpl. 856;
a. 1 5", 16 40-mm., 20 20-mm.;
cl. CASABLANCA

KASAAN BAY (CVE-69) was classified ACV-69 on 20 August 1942, launched as
CVE-69 on 24 October 1943 by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., under a
Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. R. W. Morse; and
acquired and commissioned by the Navy 4 December 1943, Captain B. E.
Grow in command.

KASAAN BAY reported for duty late in December and 8 January 1944
departed San Francisco with a cargo of planes and passengers for Pearl
Harbor. Upon returning San Diego she sailed for Norfolk, arriving 28
February for overhaul and operations along the Eat Coast. On 28 May, she
departed New York in company of TULAGI (CVE-72) and MISSION BAY (CVE-59)
with a cargo of planes for Casablanca, returning New York 17 June with
342 survivors of BLOCK ISLAND, torpedoed 29 May.

The escort carrier departed Quonset Point, R.I., 30 June and arrived
Oran 10 July. Throughout July she engaged in ASW patrol and flight
operations in the Mediterranean before rehearsing for the assault on
Southern France. KASAAN BAY departed Malta 12 August, and 3 days later
arrived in the invasion area of the French Riviera. Planes from the
carrier bombed and strafed German positions, destroying hundreds of
enemy vehicles and tanks and downing two enemy aircraft over the beach.
She completed her assignment 30 August and departed Oran, Algeria, 6
September, arriving Norfolk 12 days later.

Following a cruise carrying planes to Casablanca in late October, KASAAN
BAY was assigned to the Pacific Fleet and arrived San Diego 2 January
1945. During January she sailed to Pearl Harbor, Guam, and Ulithi with
planes and replacements for other ships of the Fast Carrier Task Force.

The escort carrier returned Pearl Harbor 14 February and immediately
commenced training operations for air groups and replacement pilots.
KASAAN BAY continued this duty until early June when she was assigned
ASW patrols in the shipping lanes between the Marshalls and Marianas
protecting the fleet's supply line during its final assault on Japan's
defenses.

When hostilities ended 14 August, KASAAN BAY returned to Guam where she
was assigned "Magic-Carpet" duty. She departed Saipan 13 September with
her first group of returning veterans arriving San Diego 30 September.
For the next 3 months she made three cruises to Hawaii and the
Philippines to transport homeward bound troop. to the United States.

The escort carrier returned to San Francisco 28 December and sailed for
the East Coast 29 January 1946, arriving Boston 22 February. She
decommissioned 6 July 196 and joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. While
in reserve, KASAAN BAY was reclassified CVHE-69 on 12 June 1955. She was
sold for scrap 2 February 1960.

KASAAN BAY received one battle star for World War II service.

    Steve L. New
    [email-masked]
    Just an armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 09:17:39 -0700
From:    Ed Kettler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [WEAP] special armor-piercing bombs at Pearl Harbor

You wrote:

>
>I don't know if they were from the Nagato, but they were battleship
>rounds.  I'll check with the historian on Monday and see what he knows.
>
>***********************************************************************
*****
>Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
>Cultural Resource Manager
>USS Arizona Memorial, NPS       (808) 422-2771  extension 130
>1 Arizona Memorial Place
>Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
>***********************************************************************
*****
>
>On Fri, 28 Oct 1994, Robert Hohlt wrote:
>
>> Jim Adams,
>>
>> As Roger Coon, and Mike asked about before I have always heard or
>> read in the popular history that these special bombs were AP
>> shells from NAGATOs guns.  Is that still the belief?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Robert Hohlt, Jr.
>>
>
>

According to Gordon W. Prange in _At Dawn We Slept_, pg 268, they were
16" rounds.  The trials were conducted at Kashima Field, southeast of
Kasumigaura.  To my knowledge, the Nagato and Mutsu were the only
Japanese BBs armed with 16" guns.

Regards,
Ed

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 09:20:05 -0600
From:    Dave Neil <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Battleships sunk by torpedoes/gunfire

I had a friend who also went to the Hawaiian Islands for his honeymoon.
The trip included a week on Maui and a visit to Pearl Harbor.  When
he and his bride were describing their trip to us, the main focus
of the conversation centered on the time they spent at Pearl!  They were not
only impressed by the staff and the tour, but also by the veterans of the
attack who were present in the tour group that added a personal perspective.
These veterans, apparently, were wuite willng to talk of their experience,
much to the consternation of the Japaneses tourists who were also in the
group!  They were struck and quite unprepared for the emotions they
felt when at the Arizona Memorial.  My friend was the typical "class clown"
when we were growing up, and for him to descibe the Memorial as "an incredibly
emotional deal" is a tribute to all involved - from the sailors who bravely
served her to the staff that preserve her.

                        Dave Neil

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 16:38:27 -0400
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: USS Salem

The Boston Globe reported today that:
...come spring, the Salem (CA-139) will be back to its former splendor,
starting a second career as the centerpiece of the US Naval and
Shipbuilding Museum in Quincy, says museum spokesman Robert Gohl.
   The Salem will be moored at the Fore River Yard, where its keel wias
laid June 4, 1945, where its hull first felt water as it was launched on
March 25, 1947, and where it was commissioned on May 9, 1949.

I deleted a lot of the story, but just thought it may be of interest. Cheers,
David Rising

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 16:16:40 -0500
From:    Greg Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Hungarian Airborne Operations

Mike,

boy, you've got some pretty, ah, esoteric interests.  Hungarian
paratroops in Yugoslavia, 1941?  Don't know, but I will start checking my
files.  Only thing I remember off the top of my head concerning Hungarian
ops in the Yugo campaign was an incident where one of their (might've
been their ONLY) motorised columns ran out of gas & used local chemists'
shops stocks to refuel.  And this vaunted invasion force used PARATROOPS?!?

Well, don't mind me-- by now you probably suspect who my interests favour.
And of course, you already KNOW about the important role Rumanian
paratroopers played in the securing of Bucharest during the August 1944
uprising.

Don't you?

                                          Glad To Be Of Service!

                                          Greg Kelley
                                          St. Paul Public Library
                                          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 18:17:52 EDT
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Books:WWI-East Front

Updating my previous note:

The Carnegie series volume was Nikolai N. Golovin, THE RUSSIAN ARMY IN
WORLD WAR I.

also, Allan K. Wildman, THE END OF THE RUSSIAN IMPERIAL ARMY, Princeton
Univ. Pr., 2 vols., (the first, which appeared in 1980, covers the period
up to the Feb revolution, as I recall, and the second the period to the Nov
revolution)

and see Alfred W. Knox, WITH THE RUSSIAN ARMY 1914-1917 as well as
A.A. Brussilov, A SOLDIER'S NOTEBOOK, for first hand accounts from
the Russian side.

For those who may be interested, the following is a list of quality             general histories on the Imperial Army:

M. Lyons, THE RUSSIAN IMPERIAL ARMY: A BIBLIOGRAPHY is chiefly a list of
regimental histories.

John Shelton Curtis, THE RUSSIAN ARMY UNDER NICHOLAS THE FIRST, Duke,
 1965?

John L. Keep, SOLDIERS OF THE TSAR: ARMY AND SOCIETY IN RUSSIA 1462-1874,
 Oxford, 1985.

Bruce Menning, BAYONETS BEFORE BULLETS: THE IMPERIAL RUSSIAN ARMY 1861-1914,
 Indiana, 1992.

I have not seen Jonathan R. Adelman, PRELUDE TO THE COLD WAR: THE TSARIST,
 SOVIET, AND US ARMIES IN THE TWO WORLD WARS, Boulder, Rienner, 1988.

More as I dig it out.

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 12:43:42 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [WEAP] special armor-piercing bombs at Pearl Harbor

Just did some more checking on the 16inch bombs dropped at Pearl Harbor.
One of our volunteers is an avid (obsessed ?) student of bombs and aerial
tactics at Pearl Harbor  - great guy though - he has made several trips
over the years oin his own to Japan to interview surviving pilots from
the attack.  He speaks and reads Japanese, so a big help.  Anyway,...

Yes, the Nagato and Mutsu were the only two ships in Japanese navy that
had 16inch guns and the bombs were made from their supply.  Only 150 were
made (modified) before the tooling lathe broke in sept 1941.  Of these,
only 50 went to Pearl Harbor.  Of these, only eight hits were made and
only 6 on battleships (2 were on the Vestal).  It looks like 2 of the
hits were duds, and 2 more broke up.  This leaves only 4 actually
detonating (2 on Arizona and 2 on Vestal). Not very impressive numbers,
but then consider what luck that out of all of those misses and duds, one
of the few successful hits penetrated Arizona's decks and made it into
the powder magazine - what odds!

Later in 1942 more of the 16inch shells were made into AP aerial bombs,
but apparently none of these AP bombs were ever used by the Japanese
again after Pearl Harbor.

Aloha

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
Cultural Resource Manager
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS       (808) 422-2771  extension 130
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 18:51:33 EDT
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Tactics:the quality of arms and armies

Dear Drew,

I agree. Of interest- there is a book on the origins of blitzkrieg
(details later) which deals primarily with the 1932 Reichswehr
maneuvers, and in it you can see both the operational doctrine of
blitzkrieg and the initial organization of the panzer division in
the Reichsheer cavalry division. Essentially, the artillery was
more dispersed in the PzDiv, as I recall; otherwise, substitute
vehicles for horses, and its all there, pre-Hitler and pre-Guderian.

On the American side, much of our WWII performance was based on programs
drawn up in the immediate aftermath of WWI- our artillery technology            was based on an Army Board report drafted in 1919, and our industrial
mobilization was based on a 1924 study. But our army had no threats
to respond to in the interwar period (they were drawing up staff
studies to invade Canada) and was generally dispersed in its traditional
role as an international constabulary, home and abroad, so it was not
until 1940 they could began to establish a cohesive force. El Guettar,
our first victory over the Germans, was something like 30 months after
the Selective Service Act was passed in 1940. A very credible performance.

It is also this performance that goes to the heart of my criticism of the
Wehrmacht. Either the German leadership did not understand the nature of
modern industrial war, or they thought they could ignore its lessons,
perhaps by developing a "lightning war" that could defeat an opponent
before it could mobilize. This may work against small states, but great
powers have to be worn down, and this means protracted war. It was
precisely this kind of war that the Wehrmacht was not prepared to fight.
A great army operationally, but at best a good army overall that took
on two great ones (the US and Soviet Armies of 1943-1945.)

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 21:18:54 GMT+1
From:    SYSTEM 0PERATOR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Old 59"

GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]> writes:

> I read somewhere that a B-25 called "Old 59" was supposed to have completed
> 859 hours and 45 minutes of combat time, including 121 missions, in 1944,
> which was supposed to have been a record for the year.
>
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?

This mail, though answered late, brings me a question :
What was the typical number of missions expected from a U.S. WWII bomber or
fighter before it was so worn (engines etc...) that it had to be
replaced/scrapped ?

Does this limited number of missions stem from the casualty rate or from
wear-and-tear ? (the question I should have asked first). 121 as a record
does not look like high, compared to nowadays standards.

Arnaud.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 19:45:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Old 59"

 >GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]> writes:
 >
 >> I read somewhere that a B-25 called "Old 59" was supposed to have completed
 >> 859 hours and 45 minutes of combat time, including 121 missions, in 1944,
 >> which was supposed to have been a record for the year.
 >>
 >> Does this sound familiar to anyone?
 >
 >This mail, though answered late, brings me a question :
 >What was the typical number of missions expected from a U.S. WWII bomber or
 >fighter before it was so worn (engines etc...) that it had to be
 >replaced/scrapped ?
 >
 >Does this limited number of missions stem from the casualty rate or from
 >wear-and-tear ? (the question I should have asked first). 121 as a record
 >does not look like high, compared to nowadays standards.
 >
 >Arnaud.

Engines were replaced after so many hours.  I once read that the
WWII combat aircraft were built to last 90 days in combat; the
planners thought that was the "average" life of the aircraft.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 20:22:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 30 OCT 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 30 OCTOBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  F-6, North American Mustang
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 3 B-24s fly armed reconnaissance over Matsuwa
and Onnekotan Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 13 B-24s lay mines in Victoria
Harbor, Hong Kong. P-40s bomb installations around Phu Lang Thuong, French
Indochina and hit junks at sea. The detachment of the 529th Fighter Squadron,
311th Fighter Group, operating from Hsian with P-51s, returns to base at
Pungchacheng.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 10 B-25s knock out bridges
at Namhkai, Wuntho, Thegyaung, and Nankan and damage others at Okkyin and
Zawchaung; 50+ P-47s knock out the Hpao Nam River bridge and strafe targets
of opportunity at several locations; hit several bridges throughout the N
Burma rail corridor, damaging or knocking out each target; support ground
forces at Naba Station and Pinwe; and hit troop concentrations at Mansi and
Manyut.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 3 missions are flown.
  Mission 693: 1,279 bombers and 978 fighters fly a major mission against
German oil production facilities; 2 bombers and 5 fighters are lost:
  1. 357 B-24s are dispatched to hit the Harburg oil refinery (72) and
Rhenania oil refinery (67) at Hamburg; targets of opportunity are Hamburg
(28), Cuxhaven (25), Wesermunde (21), Uetersen (9), Bremen (1) and other (1);
2 B-24s are lost and 30 damaged; 19 airmen are MIA. Escort is provided by 293
P-47s and P-51s; 4 P-51s are lost (pilots MIA).
  2. 463 B-17s dispatched hit secondary targets, the marshalling yards at
Hamm (209) and Munster (192); targets of opportunity are Osnabruck (12),
Enschede (2) and other (4); 17 B-17s are damaged; 1 airman is WIA and 2 MIA.
Escort is provided by 123 of 135 P-47s; 1 P-47 is lost (pilot MIA).
  3. 459 B-17s dispatched to hit the Leuna oil refinery at Merseburg are
recalled due to deteriorating weather; 2 B-17s are damaged. Escort is
provided by 482 of 508 P-51s without loss.
  Mission 693A: 2 of 5 B-17s make an APHRODITE attack on Heligoland Island,
Germany; escort is provided by 7 of 7 P-47s. 26 of 27 B-17s, escorted by 8 of
8 P-47s, fly a cover mission to Heligoland without loss.
  Mission 694: 2 B-17s and 7 B-24s drop leaflets in the Netherlands and
Germany during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): B-26s are recalled from a mission
(mainly against bridges) because of bad weather; fighters fly patrols and
armed reconnaissance over NE France and in W Germany around Aachen and the
Rhine River; XIX Tactical Air Command escorts B-26s and heavy bombers of the
Eighth AF. In France, HQ 387th Bombardment Group (Medium) moves from
Chateaudun to Clastres.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  AAF, MTO: The 16th Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy, Special), AAF, MTO,
begins a movement from Foggia, Italy to the US; the squadron flew combat in
the MTO and ETO with B-17s as a radar detection and countermeasures unit from
Sep 43 to Sep 44.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): During the night of 30/31 Oct,
3 B-24s bomb a marshalling yard at Klagenfurt, Austria, P-38s fly
reconnaissance missions, while bad weather cancels all other operations.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, weather again grounds
the medium bombers and limits XXII Tactical Air Command fighter-bombers and
fighters to 51 sorties against scattered targets in the Po Valley. In France,
the 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, XII Tactical Air Command
(attached to Provisional Reconnaissance Group), moves from Dijon to Azelot
with F-6s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 8 B-24s on armed reconnaissance missions from
Guam Island bomb Yap Island. 1 B-24 from Saipan Island, during the night of
30/31 Oct snooper mission, bombs Iwo Jima Island. Saipan Island-based P-47s
hit Pagan Island. B-25s from Makin Island strike Nauru Island.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): 8 B-29s from the Mariana Islands bomb
submarine pens on Dublon Island, Truk Atoll; 9 others bomb 2 miles (3.2 km)
beyond the target.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the Philippine
Islands, B-24s pound Bacolod Airfield on Negros Island, while on Mindanao
Island, B-25s and fighter-bombers hit San Roque Airfield and barges at
Zamboanga. P-38s hit Sandakan Airfield in Borneo. B-24s bomb the wharf area
at Makassar, Celebes Island while P-40s, over the NE peninsula, hit various
targets of opportunity. P-38s hit Piroe on Ceram island. Urarom Airfield in
New Guinea is again bombed by A-20s and B-25s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

30/0016Z OCT

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 22:38:53 -0500
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Old 59"

In message <[email-masked]> World War II Discussion
List writes:
> GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > I read somewhere that a B-25 called "Old 59" was supposed to have completed
> > 859 hours and 45 minutes of combat time, including 121 missions, in 1944,
> > which was supposed to have been a record for the year.
> >
> > Does this sound familiar to anyone?
>
> This mail, though answered late, brings me a question :
> What was the typical number of missions expected from a U.S. WWII bomber or
> fighter before it was so worn (engines etc...) that it had to be
> replaced/scrapped ?
>
> Does this limited number of missions stem from the casualty rate or from
> wear-and-tear ? (the question I should have asked first). 121 as a record
> does not look like high, compared to nowadays standards.

Aircraft _rarely_ reached the "worn out" stage.

If they reached the combat area, they had a chance to survive a fair
number of missions.  Many aircraft were either destroyed or heavily
damaged before the end of their life expectancy.

The fact that many aircraft are still flying today, 50 or more years after
they were built, is a testimonial to their strength.  However, there were
many modifications to aircraft during the course of the war -- improvements
in technology, armor, speed, etc.  These improvements were made available to
the front lines as rapidly as possible.  As they became available, the older
aircraft were moved backwards, into training or scrapped.

An example is the B-25... The B-25C was basically the first Mitchell to see
combat in 1942.  By 1944, the B-25 had gone through the C, D, G, H and J
model revisions.  The P-51 came into the picture late in the war and saw
service as the A-36 apache, P-51A, B, C and D models.

Components wore out all the time, especially how they were flown.  The DC-3,
for example, has engines that have a life-expectancy of 1,400 hours by
today's standards.  However, WWII era pilots will tell you that if they got
300 hours, it was unusual... In those days, engines were plentiful, as were
parts.  You also found yourself pushing the aircraft to or even beyond it's
limits only because you had to.  That pressure shortens the life of things
like engines.

Aircraft that were scrapped or non-flyable became parts suppliers for
airworthy aircraft.  Everything was swapped out as needed.  An aircraft
could actually leave service with almost nothing original on it except
some of the skin and the structure.

As far as missions go, 121 is fairly phenomenal, even by today's standards.
It's easy to assume that during each mission, the aircraft will encounter
flak, fighters and guns of various sorts.  To survive defenses for more
than 100 missions is pretty unusual, though things were getting "easier"
in 1944.

121 missions also equates to one mission every third day without fail during
the course of a calendar year.  When totalling in regular maintenance (ignoring
damage and other repairs), that's a pretty agressive program.  I forget what
the maintenace:flight hours ratio is for many of today's aircraft, but 1/3
of the calendar days in the air may simply not be possible anymore.

Anyways, the short answer is basically if the aircraft survived combat, it
was retired by new equipment before it had a chance to wear out.

--
Robert J. Granvin
Southern Minnesota Wing Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 29 Oct 1994 23:52:22 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII MEMOIRS

In addition to the Navy oral histories available at the Institute, they are
also in the Nimitz Library and at the Naval Historical Center in the Navy Yard.
The Navy interviews were initially conducted by Dr. John T. Mason for the
Columbia University oral history program under a grant given Columbia by RAdm
Ernest "Judge" Eller, then head of Navy history. After he retired as a
minister, Dr. Mason, a naval officer in WWII, headed up the Institute's
program. The Institute has published a catalog of its holdings. So has the
Marine Corps Historical Center, which was the first of the Service historical
offices to undertake an oral history program to collect both the memoirs of
important retired Marines and also a massive program in Vietnam during the war.
There are nearly 7,000 of these interviews in the collection ranging from
unclassified to Top Secret conducted with Marines ranging in rank from private
to general officer. There is also a catalog of the Marine Corps Oral History
Collection. The Marine Corps Historical Center has also published a guide to
conducting oral history interviews entitled "A Do-It-Yourself Oral History
Primer," which can be obtained by writing the Center. At Carlisle there is a
large number of interviews conducted by Army War College students. The Army
Corps of Engineer's historical office has also conducted interviews, as has the
Air Force's historical program at Maxwell AFB. Ben Frank

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 28 Oct 1994 to 29 Oct 1994
*************************************************