Subject: WWII-L Digest - 8 Oct 1994 to 9 Oct 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 00:00:33 -0400

There are 18 messages totalling 1120 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. NOST: Confederate Air Force Air Show (3)
  2. CARLSON'S & EDSON'S RA
  3. Ship Preservation
  4. INF: USN Chronology 10-09-94
  5. INF: 50 Years Ago - 10-OCT-1944
  6. HYPO-Could Germany Win?
  7. US homefront performance
  8. WEAP: Another P-38 (2)
  9. [INF] USAAF 9 OCT 44
 10. [INF] USAAF 10 OCT 44
 11. AAF aircraft
 12. US Economic strength
 13. Homefront: All Nations, Production
 14. POL: Economic Causes of the war
 15. CARLSON'S & EDSON'

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 8 Oct 1994 23:56:06 EDT
From:    SKIP WILDER <[email-masked]>
Subject: NOST: Confederate Air Force Air Show

For Robert Granvin:
        Jaimie Crafton  and I are attending the 1994 Confederate Air Force
Annual Air Show in Midland, Texas.  Since I have the laptop with me, I've
been elected to report.
        As Bob suggested, we started today at 0730 with breakfast in the
CAF hangar with the aircrews.  The all-you-can- eat pancake-egg-sausage and
jalapeno meal is put on my the Midland Lions Club.  We laid off the
jalapenos, but the breakfast was so good and so fun we're doing it again tomorrow.
        From 0800 until 1030 we walked the fighter, bomber, and modern era
parking areas marveling in the aircraft and talking to the pilots and
crews, and watching some of the planes file solos.  Jaimie delivered your
regards to the folks at the Southern Minnesota Wing PBY; we'll visit the
folks at Miss Mitchell tomorrow.  The bright blue west Texas sky was
totally devoid of clouds and the temperature was very comfortable.  The
pervasive fragrance of avgas, engine oil and hydraulic fluid was like an
elixir.  Following is a partial list of the aircraft we saw:

        P-39 Airacobra              P-40 Warhawk
        P-47N Thunderbolt           P-51D Mustang
        P-63 Kingcobra              P-82 Twin Mustang (under restoration)
        F-86 Sabre Jet              F-105 Thunderchief
        F4U Corsair                 F4F Wildcat
        F8F Bearcat                 TBM/TBF Avenger
        SB2C Helldiver              PBY Catalina
        B-17 Flying Fortress        B-24 Liberator
        B-25 Mitchell               B-29 Superfortress
        B-26 Marauder               A-26 Invader
        Heinkel HE-111              Messerschmidt ME-109
        RAF Spitfire Mk 10          Japanese Zero
        C5A Galaxy                  B-1B Bomber
        F-4 Phantom                 F-14 Tomcat
        F-16 Hornet                 RAF Nimrod

        At 1030, Crafton had talked us aboard a Beechcraft AT-10 twin
engine bomber trainer for a short ride.  Crafton rode as turret gunner, two
other guys rode as copilot and bombardier; I rode as "passenger."  This
airport started as Midland Army Airfield during WWII and was used as a
bomber pilot training base with many AT-10s in the inventory.  In addition
to seeing the multitude of parked aircraft from the air, quite a different
perspective, the hilite of the hop was watching the B-1B Bomber takeoff
while we were paralleling the runway at about 2000 ft and 125 knots IAS.
        At 1130 _the_ air show started.  The CAF put on their signature
demonstration starting with the German invasion of Poland on 1 September
1939 and ending with the end of WWII aboard the battleship Missouri.  Just
about all of the WWII aircraft participated except for the ME109 which was
grounded with mechanical problems.  The P-51, TBM, and B-25 were
represented by multiple examples with different markings.  In addition to
the marvelous flybys and mock dogfights, bombing runs, and strafing runs,
an extraordinary pytrotechnic display accompanied the proceedings.  At one
time during the afternoon there were about 40 aircraft airborne.  We were
told that the Zero, B-29, SB2C and F4F were the only known flying examples
of those marques.
        The CAF script was interrupted at various points during the show to
accommodate flybys (courtesy of the USAF) of by an F-117A Stealth, B-52,
and the B-1B which demonstrated its variable wing geometry.
        The show ended about 1630 with truly breathtaking aerobatics
demonstrations by the F4F, F-86, and F-16.  This certainly must be the
mother of all airshows and far, far exceeded our most optimistic
expectations.  And yes, Bob, you were right; we were covered with the
ever-present red dust of west Texas and kerosene soot from the
pyrotechnics.  Thanks again for your tips and advice.
        Back tomorrow for more.
        Jaimie Crafton joins me in sending our regards from Midland, Texas.

------------------------------------------------------------
|    Skip Wilder               |                           |
|    [email-masked]       |"The road to hell is paved |
|    FAX (703)528-2103         | with good intentions."    |
|    McLean, Virginia, U.S.A.  |                           |
------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 8 Oct 1994 20:46:53 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: CARLSON'S & EDSON'S RA

Ben, I'll send you a copy.  What is your postal mailing address?

aloha, Jim

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS        (808) 423-7300
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

On Sat, 8 Oct 1994, Ben Frank wrote:

> Jim, we would like to have a copy of your thesis in the Marine Corps Historical
> Center. You can send it to me and I will have it accessioned into our library.
> Cheers, Ben Frank
>

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 8 Oct 1994 21:00:51 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ship Preservation

A few weeks back there was a discussion regarding the ppreservation of
historic WWII ships.  I recently attended a conference in the Boston Navy
yard regarding technical aspects of preserving historic ships - it dealt
with both wooden and steel ships.  The conference was held at the site
where the Constitution is.  She is ppresently in dry dock, has been for 3
years and has one more year to go.  A major over haul and impressive
site, as she is still open to the public and you can see first hand what
all is involved.

For those interested in touring or finding the locations of WWII ships
that are set up as museums, I recommend a book titled *Steel Ships and
Iron Men.  A tribut to WWII Fighting Ships and the Men Who Served on
Them.*  by Bruce Roberts & Ray Jones; 1991, The Globe Pequot Press.  It
provides photos, locations, and documentaries on the WWII museum ships
throughout the US.

Some othere sources that include more than WWII are *Great American
Ships*, by James Delgado and Candace Clifford, 1991: The Preserevation
Press.  *Sea History's Guide to American and Canadian Maritime Museums*,
by Joeseph Stanford, National Maritime Historical Society:1990.

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS        (808) 423-7300
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 04:00:13 PDT
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 10-09-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
10/09 Mon. Cruiser and destroyer group (Rear Adm. A. E. Smith)
           bombards enemy coast defense positions on Marcus
           Island.
           Carrier RANDOLPH (CV-15) is commissioned at Newport
           News, Va.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 05:28:19 -0700
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 10-OCT-1944

On 10-OCT-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The US 30th Division (XIX Corps) attacks but is unable to
reach Bardenberg. The ring around Aachen is tightened by the US II Corps.

Eastern Front - The 1st Baltic Front reaches the Baltic in Lithuania, north of
Memel. Other armies of the 1st Baltic Front push on to the river Niemen, on
the northeast frontier of East  Prussia. The 3rd Ukraine Front reach and cut
the railway from Nish to Belgrade at Velika Plana.

Italian Front - The US II Corps starts a new series of attacks toward
Bologna.  They make very little progress however. The 10th Indian Division
captures Spaccato; while the 46th Division takes Longiano and La Crocetta.

Ryukyu Islands - Task Force 38 begins a series of operations with attacks
against Okinawa, Onami-O-shima and Sakashima. TF 38 is led by Admiral Marc
Mitscher and includes 11 fleet carriers, six light carriers, six battleships
as well as cruisers and destroyers. The attacks result in the destruction of
110 Japanese aircraft as well as some transports. The war draws closer to
Japan. The US Navy can now deploy at least 1,500 warships including 80 heavy
and light carriers and 17 battleships.

The Homefront
-------------
Spy Sentenced - William von Rautter is sentenced to a 29-year prison term in
Brooklyn Federal Court for conspiring to commit espionage. Judge Grover
Moscowitz says that the only reason he didn't impose the death penalty was
that revenge might be taken on Americans in Germany.

Most Valuable Players - The MVPs for the 1944 baseball season are St. Louis
Cardinal's shortstop Martin Marion and Bobby Doerr, second baseman for the
American League Boston club.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "Facts On File Yearbook 1944,
Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.netcom.com in directory /pub/jbd and can
be accessed via the WWW by URL: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/jbd/ww2.html. If you
have difficulty accessing the Netcom FTP server, please keep trying because it
stays very busy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis     [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 09:47:45 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: HYPO-Could Germany Win?

> On 10-OCT-1944, the following occurred -

> **TF 38** is led by Admiral Marc Mitscher and includes 11 fleet
> carriers, six light carriers, six battleships as well as cruisers
> and destroyers. The attacks result in the destruction of 110
> Japanese aircraft as well as some transports. The war draws closer
> to Japan.

> The US Navy can now deploy at least 1,500 warships including 80
> heavy and light carriers and 17 battleships.

Whatever what-if games you want to play, it is this level of
unlimited and uninhibited weapons production that guarantees that
if the U.S. enters WWII, the AXIS loses.

The more territory that Germany acquires, the more of its resources
are used up policing that territory against partisan activities.
One problem that the U.S. doesn't have to worry about until its
armies reach German soil.

The more that Germany impresses subjugated populations into
weapons manufacturing to sustain the war effort, the more resources
have to go into preventing and/or correcting sabotaged material.
Another problem that the U.S. doesn't have, with Rosie working
willingly to produce even more for Willie & Joe.

The real question then is, is there a limited political settlement
in Europe that Hitler could accept, that would have satisfied the
NAZIs, prevented the Soviet Union from intervening, and allow
Hitler not to declare war on the U.S. after Pearl Harbor.

IMHO something that limited would not have been worth going to war
over in the first place.  Take the Sudetenland and be happy,
Adolph.

        Steve L. New                     .............................
        Weapon System Manager            .............................
        Battalion Countermine Set        ............ /\ .............
        U.S. Army TACOM AMSTA-IM-FR1D    ............/  \.............
        DSN: 786-5403  FAX: 786-7788     ............    .............
        EMAIL  [email-masked]   ............    .............

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 13:08:52 -0230
From:    OLAF <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: US homefront performance

In response to William Lippert's questions concerning the so-
called "economic miracle" performed by the USA in WWII, I would
suggest that less emphasis be placed on the achievements of the
American people and their economy during the war itself, and more
on the superior state of the US economy since the beginning of
the century. See, for instance, Paul Kennedy's RISE AND FALL OF
THE GREAT POWERS (Random House, 1988). For all the flaws (and
there are many, which I do not want to go into here) in his book,
Kennedy makes a number of important points concerning the US
economy at the *beginning* of the century (see pp. 312 ff.).
Supporting his analysis with all sorts of statistics, he says
that "The United States seemed to have *all* the economic
advantages which *some* of the other powers possessed *in part*,
but *none* of their disadvantages." He then discusses
agricultural production, transportation infrastructure,
technological leadership, the advantages of a large consumer
market with massive purchasing power, etc. He cites Geoffrey
Barraclough, who noted that "Andrew Carnegie was producing more
steel than the whole of England put together when he sold out in
1901 to J.P. Morgan's colossal organization, the United States
Steel Corporation." And, with reference to Wright's STUDY OF WAR,
he notes that the British warship designer Sir William White was
shaken in 1904 when touring the USA to discover that fourteen
battleships and thirteen armoured cruisers were being built
simultaneously in American yards. Kennedy concludes that "In
industry *and* agriculture *and* communications, there was both
efficiency and size." (p.313) Table 21 compares the national
income, population and per capita income of the USA with Britain,
France, Japan, Germany, Italy, Russia, and Austria-Hungary. And
all this was 25 years *before* WWII.

I mention all this because I think that if you are going to
emphasize the remarkable achievement of the US people and their
economy during the 1941-45 period, you must acknowledge the
astonishing advantages that the US had in terms, not just of
production *potential* but in terms of actual, demonstrable
economic muscle well before that war. The results, then, were
reasonably predictable (was it not Admiral Yamamoto who made
prescient remarks about the likelihood of a Japanese defeat, if
it became engaged in a protracted war with the USA?). Again,
Kennedy provides some very succinct and telling tables later in
his book; Table 33, "Tank Production in 1944", shows Germany
(17,800), Russia (29,000), Britain (5000) and the USA (17,500).
The point to bear in mind is that American tank production the
year *before*, 1943, was 29,500! In other words, US tank
production was already being phased down, presumably because its
existing and anticipated war-time needs had been met. Table 34,
"Aircraft Production of the Powers, 1939-45", shows a similar
story.In 1943, the US produced over 85,000 aircraft; the closest
runner-up was the USSR with slightly less than 35,000. In 1944,
the US produced over 96,000 aircraft, the USSR again in second
place with barely 40,000. This kind of productivity was possible
only because the USA was -- and had been -- the world's
industrial leader since before World War I.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the impressive war-time
performance of the US did not happen overnight; the US did not
pull a rabbit out of a hat. This is NOT to dismiss the importance
or the impressiveness of what the US achieved. I'm only
suggesting that an effective explanation requires an awareness of
the degree to which the United States had distanced all its
rivals in economic performance long before World War II.

Olaf Janzen                      Tel: (709) 637-6282
Department of History            FAX: (709) 639-8125
Sir Wilfred Grenfell College     e-mail: [email-masked]
Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Canada
A2H 6P9

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 12:21:45 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Another P-38

The Army's Best Invention

Story by Maj. Renita Foster

It was developed in just 30 days in the summer of 1942 by the Subsistence
Research Laboratory in Chicago. And never in its 52 year history has it
been known to break, rust, need sharpening or polishing. Perhaps that
is why many soldiers, past and present, regard the P 38 C-ration can
opener as the Army's best invention.

C rations have long since been replaced with the more convenient Meals,
Ready to Eat, but the fame of the P 38 persists, thanks to the many uses
stemming from the unique blend of ingenuity and creativity all soldiers
seem to have.

"The P 38 is one of those tools you keep and never want to get rid of,"
said Sgt. Scott Kiraly, a military policeman. "I've had my P 38 since
joining the Army ll years ago and kept it because I can use it as a
screwdriver, knife, anything."

The most vital use of the P 38, however, is the very mission it was
designed for, said Fort Monmouth, N.J., garrison commander Col. Paul
Baerman "When we had C rations, the P 38 was your access to food,
that made it the hierarchy of needs," Baerman said. "Then soldiers
discovered it was an extremely simple, lightweight, multipurpose
tool. I think in warfare, the simpler something is and the easier
access it has the more you're going to use it. The P 38 had all of
those things going for it."

The tool acquired its name from the 38 punctures required to open a
C ration can, and from the boast that it perfommed with the speed
of the World War II P 38 fighter plane.

"Soldiers just took to the P 38 naturally," said World War II
veteran John Bandola. "It was our means for eating 90 percent of
the time, but we also used it for cleaning boots and fingernails,
as a screwdriver, you name it. We all carried it on our dog tags or
key rings."

When Bandola attached his first and only P 38 to his key ring a half
century ago, it accompanied him to Anzio, Salerno and through
northern Italy.  It was with him when World War II ended, and it's
with him now.

"This P 38 is a symbol of my life then," said Bandola. "The Army,
the training, my fellow soldiers, all the times we shared during a
world war."

Sgt. Ted Paquet, swing shift supervisor in the Fort Monmouth Provost
Marshal 's Office, was a 17 year old seaman serving aboard the
amphibious assault ship USS New Orleans during the Vietnam war when
he got his first P 38.  The ship's mission was to transport Marines
off the coast of Da Nang.

On occasional evenings, Marines gathered near Paquet's duty
position on the fantail for simple pleasures like "Cokes,
cigarettes, conversation and C rations." It was during one of
these nightly sessions that Paquet came in contact with the p
38, OR "John Wayne" as it's referred to in the Navy.

Paquet still carries his P 38, and he still finds it useful. While
driving with his older brother, Paul, their car's carburetor began
to have problems.

"There were no tools in the car and, almost simultaneously, both of
us reached for P 38s attached to our key rings." Paquet said with a
grin. "We used my P 38 to adjust the flow valve, the car worked
perfectly, ane we went on our merry way."

Paquet's P 38 is in a special box with his dog tags, a .50 calber
round from the ship he served on, his Vietnam Service Medal, South
Vietnamese money and a surrender leaflet from Operation Desert
Storm provided by a nephew.
"It will probably be on my dresser until the day I die," Paquet
said.

The feelings veterans have for the P 38 aren 't hard
to understand, according to 1st Sgt. Steve Wilson of the
Chaplain Center and School at Ft. Monmouth.

"When you hang on to something for 26 years," he said, "it's very
hard to give it up. That's why people keep their p 38 like they
do their dog tags. ... It means a lot. It's become part of you.
You remember field problems, jumping at 3 AM, and moving out. A P
38 has you reliving all the adventures that came with soldiering in
the Armed Forces. Yes, the P 38 opened cans, but it did much
more. Any soldier will tell you that."

Maj. Foster writes for the Communications Electronics Command
Public Affairs Office at Fort Monmouth, N.J.

SOLDIERS Magazine
AUGUST 1994

        Steve L. New                     .............................
        Weapon System Manager            .............................
        Battalion Countermine Set        ............ /\ .............
        U.S. Army TACOM AMSTA-IM-FR1D    ............/  \.............
        DSN: 786-5403  FAX: 786-7788     ............    .............
        EMAIL  [email-masked]   ............    .............

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 12:29:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 9 OCT 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 9 OCTOBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 50+ P-47s knock out a bridge at
Manyut and thoroughly pound the town area, bomb enemy positions at Nyaunggon,
Pinhe, and near Mawhun, damage a bridge near Mawlu, and hit a variety of
targets in the Katha area; 9 B-25s attack road bridges SW of Lashio, knocking
out Na-lang and Nampawng bridges; the B-25s hit several targets of
opportunity in the area. Transport aircraft continue a steady supply of
various points in the CBI. A detachment of the 9th Photographic
Reconnaissance Squadron, 8th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, begins
operating from Chittagong, India with F-5s (squadron is based at Barrackpore,
India).

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 2 B-25s bomb the area N of
Mangshih; 3 B-24s hit shipping along the lower Yangtze River; 29 P-51s and
P-40s on armed reconnaissance attack river traffic, troops, bridges, and
other targets of opportunity in areas around Tanchuk, Tengyun, Anking, and
Amoy; the airstrip at Tanchuk is temporarily put out of commission.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 670: 1,110 bombers and 878 fighters are dispatched to make PFF
attacks on industrial targets in S and C Germany; 1 bomber is lost:
  1. 329 of 345 B-17s hit the secondary target, ball bearing plants at
Schweinfurt; 1 other hit a target of opportunity; 15 B-17s are damaged.
Escort is provided by 338 of 364 P-51s; 3 P-51s are damaged beyond repair;
1 pilot is WIA.
  2. 381 B-17s are dispatched to hit the marshalling yard at Mainz (210)
and aircraft engine plant at Gustavsburg (148); 84 B-17s are damaged. Escort
is provided by 202 P-47s and Ninth AF P-38s; 2 P-38s are damaged.
  3. 360 of 384 hit the secondary, the marshalling yard at Koblenz; 1 hits a
target of opportunity; 1 B-24 is lost, 3 damaged beyond repair and 17
damaged; 1 airman is KIA and 10 MIA. Escort is provided by 271 of 295
P-51s; they claim 1-0-0 aircraft in the air and 1-0-0 on the ground.
  Mission 671: 2 B-24s drop leaflets in the Netherlands during the night.
  HQ 12th Bombardment Wing is inactivated at Marks Hall, England.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): HQ Ninth AF gives the Tactical Air
Commands an initial attack list of 10 bridges on the US front; other lists
follow. 30 9th Bombardment Division aircraft attack a rail bridge at
Euskirchen, Germany; fighters provide escort and fly uneventful armed
reconnaissance; P-47s sent against airfields in Germany are recalled because
of bad weather.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Italy, bad weather restricts
operations to weather reconnaissance missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, weather again grounds
the medium bombers; fighter-bombers, and fighters hit roads, rail crossing,
transport and other targets in the Bologna and Sabbioso areas; the 97th
Bombardment Squadron (Light), 47th Bombardment Group (Light), moves form
Follonica to Rosignano Airfield with A-20s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 18 B-24s from Saipan Island pound Iwo Jima
Island. 25 B-25s from the Marshall Islands bomb Truk Atoll. The 28th
Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, Seventh AF (attached to VII Fighter
Command), moves from Kipapa Airfield to Kualoa Airfield, Hawaii with F-5s
(detachments are operating from Saipan and Peleliu Islands).

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-25s, A-20s, and
fighter-bombers attack Boela on Ceram Island, Namlea and Kairatoe on Celebes
Island, and Liang on Ambon Island, concentrating on oil tanks and airfields.
On Halmahera Island, B-25s and fighter-bombers hit Lolobata and Hate Tabako
Airfields and nearby barges, supplies, and other targets of opportunity. In
New Guinea, A-20s and fighter-bombers strike Faan and Langgoer Airfields,
P-40s hit Manokwari, and B-25s bomb Samate.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

09/1631Z OCT

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 12:37:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 10 OCT 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 10 OCTOBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 4 B-24s abort a strike at Kashiwabara on
Paramushiru Island due to weather.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA (CBI) THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  BURMA-INDIA (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 28 P-47s support ground forces
near Pinhe, bomb the towns of Tawbon and Man Naung, and hit targets of
opportunity in and near Momauk. Transport operations to various points in the
CBI continue at the rate of 250+ sorties.

  CHINA (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 12 B-25s bomb and considerably
damage the Kunlong ferry; 38 P-40s and P-51s on armed reconnaissance attack a
bridge and other targets of opportunity near Mangshih, hit troop areas around
Tanchuk and Wuchou, river traffic near Dosing, and locomotives and barges
along the N French Indochina coast.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): Weather cancels daytime bomber and
fighter operations. IX Air Defense Command during the night of 10/11 Oct
flies patrol over Belgium and W Germany.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Italy, almost 170 B-17s and
B-24s attack 4 marshalling yards at Treviso and Mestre and bridges at
Susegana and San Dona di Piave plus rail lines in surrounding areas; about 90
fighters provide support in the Udine-Treviso area; 350+ other heavy bombers
are forced to abort a mission because of weather.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers are again
grounded due to weather; fighter-bombers, though also hampered by weather,
manage to closely support ground forces, particularly at Monte delle Formiche
where US 85th Infantry Division elements are stopped short of the the crest,
and attack communications N of the battle area in the N Apennines; the 11th
Troop Carrier Squadron, 60th Troop Carrier Group, moves from Brindisi to
Pomigliano with C-47s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 14 B-24s from Saipan Island bomb the airfield
on Iwo Jima Island and shipping off the E shore. 24 P-47s pound buildings and
storage caves on Pagan Island; later a B-24 bombs the radio station N of the
airfield on Pagan Island. 12 B-25s from Makin Island bomb runways and
adjacent AA positions on Nauru Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s strike oil
refineries and an airfield in the Balikpapan, Borneo area; the B-24s and
escorting P-47s and P-38s claim 30+ Japanese fighters downed. On Halmahera
Island, P-38s and B-25s bomb Djailolo, Kaoe, and Hate Tabako Airfield and
the Wasile town area. P-47s hit Liang Airfield on Ambon Island. In New
Guinea, A-20s hit the Sarmi area and A-20s and B-25s bomb Urarom Airfield.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

09/1639Z OCT

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 13:21:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: AAF aircraft

The following is the norms for USAAF combat groups and selected squadrons
in men and aircraft as of Feb 45.  These numbers include an allowance for
a reserve.

GROUPS
------

Combat Cargo Group
  Aircraft Type: C-46 and C-47
  Number of aircraft: 125
  Number of crews: 150
  Men per crew: 4
  Total Personnel: 883
    Officers: 350
    Enlisted Men: 533

Bombardment Group (Heavy)
  Aircraft Type: B-17 and B-24
  Number of aircraft: 72
  Number of crews: 96
  Men per crew: 9 to 10
  Total Personnel: 2,261
    Officers: 465
    Enlisted Men: 1,796

Bombardment Group (Light)
  Aircraft Type: A-20 and A-26
  Number of aircraft: 96
  Number of crews: 96
  Men per crew: 3 to 4
  Total Personnel: 1,304
    Officers: 211
    Enlisted Men: 1,093

Bombarmenet Group (Medium)
  Aircraft Type: B-25 and B-26
  Number of aircraft: 96
  Number of crews: 96
  Men per crew: 5 to 6
  Total Personnel: 1,759
    Officers: 393
    Enlisted Men: 1,366

Bombardment Group (Very Heavy)
  Aircraft Type: B-29
  Number of aircraft: 45
  Number of crews: 60
  Men per crew: 11
  Total Personnel: 2,078
    Officers: 462
    Enlisted Men: 1,616

Fighter Group with single-engine aircraft
  Aircraft Type: P-40, P-47 and P-51
  Number of aircraft: 111 to 126
  Number of crews: 108 to 126
  Men per crew: 1
  Total Personnel: 994
    Officers: 183
    Enlisted Men: 811

Fighter Group with twin-engine aircraft
  Aircraft Type: P-38
  Number of aircraft: 111 to 126
  Number of crews: 108 to 126
  Men per crew: 1
  Total Personnel: 1,081
    Officers: 183
    Enlisted Men: 898

Troop Carrier Group
  Aircraft Type: C-47
  Number of aircraft: 80 to 110
  Number of crews: 128
  Men per crew: 4 to 5
  Total Personnel: 1,837
    Officers: 514
    Enlisted Men: 1,323

SQUADRONS
---------

Combat Mapping Squadron
  Aircraft Type: F-7 and F-9
  Number of aircraft: 18
  Number of crews: 16
  Men per crew: 9
  Total Personnel: 474
    Officers: 77
    Enlisted Men: 397

Night Fighter Squadron
  Aircraft Type: P-61 and P-70
  Number of aircraft: 18
  Number of crews: 16
  Men per crew: 2 to 3
  Total Personnel: 288
    Officers: 50
    Enlisted Men: 238

Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron
  Aircraft Type: F-5
  Number of aircraft: 24
  Number of crews: 21
  Men per crew: 1
  Total Personnel: 347
    Officers: 50
    Enlisted Men: 297

Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron
  Aircraft Type: F-6, L-4, L-5, P-39 and P-40
  Number of aircraft: 27
  Number of crews: 23
  Men per crew: 1
  Total Personnel: 233
    Officers: 39
    Enlisted Men: 194

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 12:30:57 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: US Economic strength

I disagree with Olaf's assessment of the economic strength of the US in
1939.  Surely the potential was there, which was actualized almost overnight.
But to talk about economic strength in 1939 fails I believe to recognize
the "dirty thirties" and the depression which was still extremely serious
at the beginning of the war.

Surely the potential was there, but the miracle and the magic was that
the potential was actualized almost overnight.  I remember reference to a
"sleeping giant."  Not only was the giant sleeping; it has put on an eye
mask to keep the light out.  The light of what was happening in Europe.

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my second | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   extended stay in Prague.       |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  | Working on second book about     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic  |    economic, social, political     |
  |   and a book about the B-25      |    problems and opportunities.     |
  |   in WWII.                       | B-25 in WWII.                      |
  | E-Mail:                          | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |   USA:  [email-masked]    | Stamp collecting.                  |
  |         [email-masked] |                                    |
  =========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 14:10:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Homefront: All Nations, Production

William Lippert writes:

 >Hello, my good friends!  I am in desperate need of help.  Well, at
 >least I will be.  Jack McKillop quoted FDR as saying, "Those who have
 >long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died
 >to win them."
 >
 >I take this message in earnest and have always believed it my duty to all
 >people who perished tragically in the Great World War II to not allow
 >the world to forget that incredible event in human history.  So it is
 >that I am giving an oral presentation to my US Foreign Economic Policy
 >class called, "Producing Victory - America's Economy in WWII".
 >
 >The goal of this is to reinstill into my classmates the pride of our
 >history and the knowledge that Americans can win.

GOOD LUCK!!!!  I am not so sure that our society believes (or wants to
believe) this anymore!

 >Not just by a hair,
 >either, but by a mile.  What I am looking for is
 >1) how the economy was switched from peace to war (managed economics, etc.)
 >2) production figures (ships, planes, etc.)

Since my area of expertise is the US Army Air Forces, I can give you the
following inforamtion for aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, etc
production.  My source is Volume VI MEN AND PLANES of the seven volume
set, THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II edited by W.F. Craven and J.L.
Cate, originally printed by The University of Chicago Press in 1955 and now
available from the US Government Printing Office.

Aircraft production by Japan, Germany, Great Britain and the US, 1939-1945

Year   Japan   Germany   Gt Brit    USA
1939   4,467     8,295     7,940    2,141
1940   4,768    10,826    15,049    6,086
1941   5,088    11,776    20,094   19,433
1942   8,861    15,556    23,672   47,836
1943  16,693    25,527    26,263   85,898
1944  28,180    39,807    26,461   96,318
1945   8,263*   ......    12,070** 46,001*
      ------    ------    ------   ------
Total 76,320   111,787   131,549  303,713

* Eight months for USA and 7.5 months for Japan
** First three quarters only

The most produced aircraft for the USAAF and USN were:

18,188  Consolidated B-24 Liberator
15,579  Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
14,490  North American P-51 Mustang
13,700  Curtiss P-40
12,677  Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
12,210  Grumman F6F Hellcat
11,236  Vought F4U Corsair
10,245  Douglas C-47
 9,815  North American B-25 Mitchell
 9,812  Grumman TBF and GM TBM Avenger
 9,585  Bell P-39 Airacobra
 9,535  Lockheed P-38 Lighting
 7,898  Grummand F4F and GM FM Wildcat
 7,230  Douglas A-20 Havoc
 6,130  Curtiss SB2C Helldiver
 5,320  Douglas SBD Dauntless
 5,157  Martin B-26 Marauder
 3,760  Boeing B-29 Superfortress
 3,144  Curtiss C-46 Commando
 2,446  Douglas A-26 Invader
 1,089  Douglas C-54 Skymaster

802,161 aircraft engines were accepted by the military from 1 Jul 40 to
31 Aug 45.  The manufacturers were:

393,985  Pratt & Whitney (Note 1)
218,632  Wright (Note 2)
 69,618  Allison
 32,119  Jacobs
 28,824  Continental Motors
 24,871  Lycoming
 19,846  Others
 14,266  Ranger

Note 1: Includes engines made by Buick, Chevrolet, Ford, Nash-Kelvinator
        and Packard under license
Note 2: Includes engines made by Dodge and Studebaker under license

695,771 hydraulic and electric propellers were accepted by the military
between 1 Jul40 and 31 Aug 45.  The manufacturers were:

233,021  Hamilton Standard
158,134  Nash-Kelvinator
144,863  Curtiss-Wright
 76,626  Frigidaire
 62,354  Remington Rand
 20,773  Aeroproducts

The following table lists the unit cost of USAAF aircraft in 1944.  As
production increased, the unit cost went down and with one exception, the
unit cost of all the aircraft in the table went down in 1945.  All values
are in 1944 US dollars.

$605,360  Boeing B-29 Superfortress
$285,113  Douglas C-54 Skymaster
$233,377  Curtiss C-46 Commando
$215,516  Consolidated B-24 Liberator
$204,370  Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
$192,457  Douglas A-26 Invader
$192,427  Martin B-26 Marauder
$142,194  North American B-25 Mitchell
$100,800  Douglas A-20 Havoc
$ 97,147  Lockheed P-38 Lightning
$ 88,574  Douglas C-47
$ 85,578  Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
$ 51,572  North American P-51 Mustang
$ 50,666  Bell P-39 Airacobra
$ 44,892  Curtiss P-40
$ 22,952  North American AT-6 series
$ 15,052  Fairchile PT-19 Cornell series
$  9.704  Stinson L-5 Sentinel
$  2,620  Piper L-4 Cub/Grasshopper

 >3) how we paid for it (war bond drives, etc.)

I remember two incidents from WWII.  First, a War Bond drive was conducted
here in New Jersey to "pay" for the battleship New Jersey; my parents
bought a bond so in essence, I owned a piece of the New Jersey.   (Hear
that Larry Jewell??)  In 1943 or 1944, the Army put on a demonstration at
old Dunn Field, the site of the Class B Interstate Leage Trenton, New
Jersey baseball team.  They had tanks, flame throwers, infantry, etc.
assaulting an "enemy" position.  I don't remember how long the show lasted
but the admission price was a War Bond.  I remember my father taking me and
this was heady stuff for an 8 or 9-year old kid.

 >4) how our performance compared with all other nations (Allied and Axis)
 >
 >Am I wrong to say that America performed a production miracle?  Was it just
 >that we had lots'o people?  I have been lead to believe that America did
 >do something special - building a ship in six hours was no small feat!
 >
 >Do you think that this oral report is just a plain bad idea?  Any reading
 >recommendations?  I'm pretty much open to whatever I can get.  Thanks
 >in advance!
 >
 >William Lippert
 >The American University
 >[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 14:53:30 -0500
From:    Bill Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: POL: Economic Causes of the war

A Neutrality Act was first passed in 1935, with revisions in 1936.  It
was superceded by the Neutrality Act of 1937.  In essense, however,
portions of neutrality legislation were debated each year from 1935 to
1941.  In a sense, every year saw a new "neutrality" as the shifting of
FDR's foreign policy required new definitions of neutrality to satisfy
the substantial isolationist lobbies.

On Fri, 7 Oct 1994, Cassady Craft wrote:

> Sorry guys and ladies, but I don't have my history books here to confirm which
> it is, but wasn't 1937 the year that the Supreme Court blew the Second New
> Deal out of the water?  Didn't he also get thwarted in some other actions
> about this time in domestic affairs?  When were the last of the Neutrality
> Act passed, 1936?

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 15:07:56 -0500
From:    Bill Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: Confederate Air Force Air Show

Curious, but last year I was down at Midland to give a paper at the
museum's symposium and I was told by one of the CAF "Colonels" that the
Me109 was grounded due to insurance problems.  His take was once they
moved to the hard surface runways of Midland, the Me109, built with an
undercarrage made for handling on sod runways, was so squirrely on
takeoff/taxi that it had been crashed and damaged a couple of times.
Since they lacked a proper dirt runway, he surmised that risk and
insurance would keep the CAF from exhibiting the Me109?

True?  Or true lies?

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 15:31:49 -0500
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: Confederate Air Force Air Show

In message World War II Discussion List writes:
> Curious, but last year I was down at Midland to give a paper at the
> museum's symposium and I was told by one of the CAF "Colonels" that the
> Me109 was grounded due to insurance problems.  His take was once they
> moved to the hard surface runways of Midland, the Me109, built with an
> undercarrage made for handling on sod runways, was so squirrely on
> takeoff/taxi that it had been crashed and damaged a couple of times.
> Since they lacked a proper dirt runway, he surmised that risk and
> insurance would keep the CAF from exhibiting the Me109?
>
> True?  Or true lies?

In reality, probably "C: Neither".

Yes, the 109 is squirrely on pavement.  No 109 owner/operator/pilot wants
to do any operations from anything other than grass.  Midland, being (to
us Northerners) an arid wasteland :-), doesn't have much that even compares
to grass.  However, a dirt/clay runway is certainly an option if the
aircraft were to fly.

The 109 is assigned to headquarters primarily for much of those reasons.
The CAF is also taking better care of its one-of-a-kind (or even if they
aren't, very difficult to replace) aircraft.  Because of the operational
questions and difficulties, it just makes sense to keep the airplane on
the ground -- except for special occasions.

The 109 needs some work to bring it up to a real flyable status.  It has never
been neglected, but there hasn't been a concerted effort to keep it in a state
of readiness.

In any case, qualifications and experience are a more driving factor than
insurance.  An Me/Bf-109 is an expensive aircraft, but the CAF insurance is
backed (ultimately) by Lloyds of London and it is a _fleet_ insurance.  There
is no specific insurance for specific aircraft unless the insurance company
(or Lloyds) demands it.

Considering that aircraft like the B-29 and Mitsubishi Zero (the real one)
are covered under the "fleet" policy, the 109 is not an insurance issue.  Or
at least, shouldn't be (unless insurance requires certain levels of experience
in 109 and 109-like aircraft... In that case, it may be difficult to find
people to meet the requirements of the unique issues of the aircraft...)

--
Robert J. Granvin
Southern Minnesota Wing Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 17:32:53 -0400
From:    Pascal Sauve <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Another P-38

An article concerning a can-opener as the best invention from the army.Cool.

It goes to show that the core of an Army is not necesseraly it's weapons
but it's soldiers.

Pascal Sauve
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 9 Oct 1994 23:31:30 -0400
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: CARLSON'S & EDSON'

Thanks, Jim. I look forward to receiving and reading it. Then I'll put in our
library. My address is: Marine Corps Historical Cener, Bldg 58, Washington Navy
Yard, 901 M Street SE, Washington, DC 20374. Cheers and have a Scorpion for me
at Lousy Chow's. Ben

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 8 Oct 1994 to 9 Oct 1994
***********************************************