Subject: WWII-L Digest - 13 Nov 1994 to 14 Nov 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 00:02:19 -0500

There are 39 messages totalling 1945 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INF: USN Chronology 11-14-94
  2. WEAP: CV-22 Independence
  3. INF: 50 Years Ago - 15-NOV-1944
  4. TACT: Halsey
  5. Women in the Resistance Movement
  6. MEDIA: PBS PROGRAM ON BULGE
  7. Cannibalism in other theaters
  8. Remembrance Events
  9. WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (The Yamamoto Mission) (3)
 10. strange aircraft armament questions
 11. GEN:  Renegade Officers in WW2
 12. USS Kidd & Veteran's Day
 13. Family Archives
 14. HIST-The study of the Pacific War (3)
 15. Untold Stories f/TLB, Pt. 4
 16. Tuskegee Airmen (fwd) (2)
 17. Tuskegee airmen
 18. WEAP:  CV-31 Bon Homme Richard
 19. WEAP:  CV-8 USS Hornet (2)
 20. Rocket fighter messages? (2)
 21. WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 4)  Charles Lindberg
 22. REMEMBERANCES ON VETER (3)
 23. WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 4) Charles Lindberg (3)
 24. Enigma (2)
 25. [INF] USAAF 15 NOV 44
 26. Eastern Front Books
 27. Lindbergh

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 04:00:10 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 11-14-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
11/14 Tue.  Japanese naval vessels sunk:
             Auxiliary KURASAKI, by submarine RATON (SS-270),
              South China Sea,
              17 d. 27'N., 117 d. 43'E.
             Coast defense vessel NO. 7, by submarine RAY (SS-
              271), South China Sea,
              17 d. 46'N., 117 d. 57'E.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 06:44:56 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: CV-22 Independence

From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships, Vol. III, 1968, Navy
Department, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Naval History
Division, Washington, D.C.

INDEPENDENCE (CV-22)

dp. 11,000;
l. 622' 6";
b. 71' 6";
ew. 109' 2";
dr. 26';
s. 31 k.;
a. 26 40-mm;
cl. INDEPENDENCE

The fourth INDEPENDENCE (CV-22), begun as AMSTERDAM, (CL-59), was
launched as CV-22 on 22 August 1942 by New York Shipbuilding Corp.,
Camden, N.J.; sponsored by Mrs. Rawleigh Warner; and commissioned 14
January 1943, Captain G. R. Fairlamb, Jr., in command.

The first of a new class of carriers converted from cruiser hulls,
INDEPENDENCE conducted shakedown training in the Caribbean. She then
steamed through the Panama Canal to join the Pacific Fleet, arriving San
Francisco 3 July 1943. INDEPENDENCE got underway for Pearl Harbor 14
July, and after 2 weeks of vital training exercises sailed with carriers
ESSEX and YORKTOWN for a devastating raid on Marcus Island. Planes from
the carrier force struck 1 September and destroyed over 70 percent of
the installations on the island. The carrier began her next operation, a
similar strike against Wake Island 5 to 6 October as CVL-22,
redesignated 15 July 1943.

INDEPENDENCE sailed from Pearl Harbor for Espiritu Santo 21 October,
and, during an ensuing carrier attack on Rabaul 11 November, the ship's
gunners scored their first success-six Japanese planes shot down. After
this operation the carrier refueled at Espiritu Santo and headed for the
Gilberts and prelanding strikes on Tarawa 18 to 20 November 1943. During
a Japanese counterattack 20 November, INDEPENDENCE was attacked by a
group of planes low on the water. Six were shot down, but the planes
managed to launch at least five torpedoes one of which scored a hit on
the carrier's starboard quarter. Seriously damaged, the ship steamed to
Funafuti 23 November for repairs. With the Gilberts operation, first
step on the mid-Pacific road to Japan, underway, INDEPENDENCE returned
to San Francisco 2 January 1944 for more permanent repairs.

The veteran carrier returned to Pearl Harbor 3 July 1944. During her
repair period the ship had been fitted with an additional catapult, and
upon her arrival in Hawaiian waters, INDEPENDENCE began training for
night carrier operations. She continued this pioneering work 24 to 29
August out of Eniwetok. The ship sailed with a large task group 29
August to take part in the Palaus operation, aimed at securing bases for
the final assault on the Philippines in October. INDEPENDENCE provided
night reconnaissance and night combat air patrol for Task Force 38
during this operation.

In September the fast carrier task force regularly pounded the
Philippines in preparation for the invasion. When no Japanese
counterattacks developed in this period, INDEPENDENCE shifted to regular
daytime operations, striking targets on Luzon. After replenishment at
Ulithi in early October, the great force sortied 6 October for Okinawa.
In the days that followed the carriers struck Okinawa, Formosa, and
Philippines in a striking demonstration of the mobility and balance of
the fleet. Japanese air counterattacks were repulsed, with INDEPENDENCE
providing day strike groups in addition to night fighters and
reconnaissance aircraft for defensive protection.

As the carrier groups steamed east of the Philippines 23 October, it
became apparent, as Admiral Carney later recalled, that "something on a
grand scale was underfoot." And indeed it was, as the Japanese fleet
moved on a three pronged effort to turn back the American beachhead on
Leyte Gulf. Planes from INDEPENDENCE's Task Group 38.2, under Rear
Admiral Bogan, spotted Kurita's striking force in the Sibuyan Sea 24
October and the carriers launched a series of attacks. Planes from
INDEPENDENCE and other ships sank giant battleship MUSASHI and disabled
a cruiser.

That evening Admiral Halsey made his fateful decision to turn Task Force
38 northward in search of Admiral Ozawa's carrier group. INDEPENDENCE's
night search planes made contact and shadowed the Japanese ships until
dawn 26 October, when the carriers launched a massive attack. In this
second part of the great Battle for Leyte Gulf, all four Japanese
carriers were sunk. Meanwhile American heavy ships had won a great
victory in Surigao Strait; and a light carrier force had outfought the
remainder of Kurita's ships in the Battle Off Samar. After the great
battle, which virtually spelled the end of the Japanese Navy as a major
threat, INDEPENDENCE continued to provide search planes and night
fighter protection for Task Force 38 in strikes on the Philippines. In
these operations the ship had contributed to a major development in
carrier group operations.

INDEPENDENCE returned to Ulithi for long-delayed rest and replenishment
9 to 14 November, but soon got underway to operate off the Philippines
on night attacks and defensive operations. This phase continued until 30
December 1944, when the great task force sortied from Ulithi once more
and moved northward. From 3 to 9 January the carriers supported the
Lingayen landings on Luzon, after which Halsey took his fleet on a
daring foray into the South China Sea. In the days that followed the
aircraft struck at air bases on Formosa and on the coasts of Indo-China
and China. These operations in support of the Philippines campaign
marked the end of the carrier's night operations, and she sailed 30
January 1945 for repairs at Pearl Harbor.

INDEPENDENCE returned to Ulithi 13 March 1945 and got underway next day
for operations against Okinawa, last target in the Pacific before Japan
itself. She carried out preinvasion strikes 30 to 31 March, and after
the assault 1 April remained off the island supplying Combat Air Patrol
and strike aircraft. Her planes shot down numerous enemy planes during
the desperate Japanese attacks on the invasion force. INDEPENDENCE
remained off Okinawa until 10 June when she sailed for Leyte.

During July and August the carrier took part in the final carrier
strikes against Japan itself, attacks which lowered enemy morale and had
much to do with the eventual surrender. After the end of the war 15
August, INDEPENDENCE aircraft continued surveillance flights over the
mainland locating prisoner of war camps, and covered the landings of
Allied occupation troops. The ship departed Tokyo 22 September 1945,
arriving San Francisco via Saipan and Guam 31 October.

INDEPENDENCE joined the "Magic-Carpet" fleet beginning 15 November 1945,
transporting veterans back to the United States until arriving San
Francisco once more 28 January 1946. Assigned as a target vessel for the
Bikini atomic bomb tests, she was placed within one-half mile of ground
zero for the 1 July explosion. The veteran ship did not sink, however,
and after taking part in another explosion 25 July was taken to
Kwajalein and decommissioned 28 August 1946. The highly radioactive hulk
was later taken to Pearl Harbor and San Francisco for further tests and
was finally sunk in weapons tests off the coast of California 29 January
1951.

INDEPENDENCE received eight battle stars for World War II service.

EXCERPT FROM ACTION REPORT ON OPERATION "STALEMATE II"

Subject: Action Report on Stalemate II.

..those of routine patrols, CAP and ASP. Plans to conduct night heckler
operations and night attacks on shipping failed to materialize due to
complete lack of suitable targets.  Opportunities to utilize this group
of highly trained specialists in night operations were non-existent
except for occasional pre-dawn take-offs and occasional landings after
sunset by the CAP.

..

5. During the period 19 thru 24 September, the Fighting Squadron of the
INDEPENDENCE took part in the highly successful attacks on Luzon and on
Coron Bay. In these operations, the INDEPENDENCE group lost its identity
as a night operating organization and performed all the functions of the
normal CVL group in a highly creditable manner, this in spite of the
fact that previous training had entirely overlooked training in fighting
plane tactics and had concentrated upon the training required by the
individual for night interceptions and for individual gunnery.

..

7. On the evening of 12 September, VF 41 had its one opportunity to
demonstrate its proficiency in its specialty by successfully
intercepting and splashing a Dinah after a chase of 69 miles which
involved a rapid climb to 23,000 feet. The return to the ship after dark
and subsequent landing of 4 VF was completed in an expeditious manner.

     Steve New

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 04:27:10 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 15-NOV-1944

On 15-NOV-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the US 3rd Army sector, the 5th Division reinforces its
positions and prepares for the final assault against Metz. In the US II
Corps sector, the 4th Armoured Division reaches the Metz-Sarrebourg
railway. In the US 7th Army sector, the 44th Division is advancing towards
Avricourt. The 79th Division reaches Halloville. The French 1st Army
continues to advance towards Belfort.

Eastern Front - The Russians capture Jaszbereny, in Hungary.

Italian Front - Units of the 8th Indian Division enter Modigliana, where
they connect up with units of the Polish II Corps.

Mapia Islands - The US 31st Division (8th Army) lands in the Mapia
Islands, 160 miles northeast of the Western tip of New Guina. They are met
with very little Japanese resistance.

Burma - The Chinese 38th Division blocks all the access roads to Bhamo. The
Chinese 22nd Division advances on Si-u. In the western sector, the 5th
Indian Division occupies Kalemyo.

The Homefront
-------------
US War Costs - The War Production Board has announced that war
expenditures in October were $7,447,000,000, an increase of 4.8% over
September, raising the total war outlay since July 1, 1940 to
$229,500,000,000.

Most Popular Songs - 1) I'll Walk Alone, 2) Dance With A Dolly, 3) The
Trolley Song, 4) Together, 5) I'm Making Believe.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "Facts On File Yearbook 1944,
Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.netcom.com in directory /pub/jbd and can
be accessed via the WWW by URL: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/jbd/ww2.html. If you
have difficulty accessing the Netcom FTP server, please keep trying because it
stays very busy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis     [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 07:26:55 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: TACT: Halsey

> Excerpts from E.B.Potter's *NIMITZ*.

        Text Deleted

> "...King criticized both Halsey and Kinkaid. He attributed "the element of
> surprise in the Battle of Samar not only to Halsey's absence in the north
> but also to Kinkaid's failure to use his own squadrons for search at
> a crucial moment."

Carl Wernke
[email-masked]

        Text Deleted

        Personally I consider Adm King's criticism of Adm Kinkaid's action
        as unfair, and perhaps self serving.

        Unlike Adm Halsey, Kinkaid's fleet was tied to a specific
        geographical area, with the mission to support Gen McArthur's
        invasion, he didn't have the freedom to sail around looking for Kurita.

        Even so, he did send aircraft out to search for Kurita, they just
        weren't successful, and Adm Halsey wasn't sharing vital information
        with the rest of the fleet.  See Below:

        John Costello, The Pacific War  p 511

"After Admiral Kinkaid commanding the Seventh Fleet received the
news that Oldendorf's battleships had wiped out the Japanese
southern force around 4:00 am, his attention had turned to the
other enemy squadron.  He had not picked up or been relayed the
earlier reports from task force 34's night patrols, which would
have warned him that Kurita had reversed course.  His own PBY
"Black Cats" had not found the enemy squadron, but it had occurred
to him that they could be making a run through to the Phillipine
Sea.  "Is task force 34 guarding San Bernardino Strait?" he
radioed to the New Jersey, just after 5:00 am.  He would wait more
than two hours for a response (*)because of a signal snarl-up on the
New Jersey."

     *  That's two critical snarl-ups in New Jerseys radio room, what was
     going on up there?

     Steve New

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 08:48:48 ADT
From:    Joanne Brown <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Women in the Resistance Movement

I can't resist adding my favorite's name:  Nancy Wake aka Nancy
Fiocca.  She started out working for the O'Leary Line, had to escape
to England herself after being suspected by the Nazis, but returned
to France as a part of the SOE support to the French Resistance
Movement.  She remained there until the Liberation.  Russell Braddon's
'Nancy Wake' is a good account of her activities, along with her own
autobiography.

Cheers,

Joanne Brown

Joanne Brown, Reference Department
Ward Chipman Library
University of New Brunswick
Saint John, N.B. CANADA
Ph: (506)  648-5718
Fax:(506)  648- 5701
email: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 07:25:27 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: PBS PROGRAM ON BULGE

Hello, John!

This is the second time this program has been aired. It was
shown first during the D-Day commemoration activities. I thought the
program was well done.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 07:27:30 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Cannibalism in other theaters

Hello, Julian!

That far north in Europe and at the time of year produces the effect
of "White Nights", or almost constant daylight.

   Hope this helps.

   Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:59:16 GMT
From:    Stephen Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Remembrance Events

London, 14th November 1994

I duly attended the Cenotaph remembrance yesterday. Once again, it was
held under grey November skies, but thankfully the rain held off. Once again,
Whitehall and the surrounding area was packed with people. At least 3
military bands were present, RAF, Royal Marines, and another. As Big Ben
struck 11am, the boom of a cannon was heard and suddenly this great crod of people
fell silent. The cannon sounded again after 2 minutes, followed by buglers
sounding the Last Post. More sombre music was played as
government and Commonwealth dignitaries laid their wreaths. The crowd then
sung "Our God of help in ages past..." and the singing in this post-
Christian society was surprisingly good. Prayers said by the Bishop of
London, followed by the Reveille
concluded the the main act of remembrance and the dignitaries
dispersed. The highlight of the commemoration is about to begin...

The Parade major barks orders to
the assembled veterans. The bandmaster faces the musicians, and the
drummers drum the introductory rolls for the marching music. Off we
go to Tipperary and to the Siegfried Line at the sedate speed of
100 paces to the minute. A long endless snaking line of men and women
march past the Cenotaph, executing an "eyes right" as they pass.
The old soldiers are resplendent in their caps, medals hanging from
their chests. There are the white-capped members of the Russian
Convoys Association; the gallant polish veterans with their tell-tale
red and white armbands...the occasional aussie veteran, africans,
indians, paratroopers, sailors, airmen, civilian associations, firemen,
police, ambulance, they're all there. Some veterans are dressed in
bowler hats, dark suits, and carrying rolled umbrellas - and mighty
distinguished they look too. There are blind ex-servicement marching,
members of the British Limbless Ex-Serviceman's Association motor
sedately past in their wheelchairs the list goes on and on...
The crowd are generous in their applause
and the usual lump in the throat makes it's presence felt!

At last, the bands march past and it is all over for another year.
The bit that choked me came afterwards, watching a TV report....
there was a 95 year old member of the King's Royal Rifle Corps, a
veteran of the Great War marching alongside the "youngsters".

Every year there is a debate in the media
regarding the relevance of this event that saddens and angers me.
Those who are ashamed of their identity/heritage or absurdly claim
that this event glorifies war, encourages nationalism,
 or keeps old animosities going always
try to make it an international event to remember everyone who died
in all wars; we should wear white "peace" poppies instead of the red
ones etc. etc. How stupid. Surely there is a place for each nation
to take some time to remember past events pertaining to its own
history...when we forget to remember, history will turn around and
repeat itself. To see these people march with pride, and to think
of what they went through is a humbling and moving thing.

God bless them all

Steve Baldwin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 08:53:47 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (The Yamamoto Mission)

Wings Magazine 4 August 1978

"The P-38 Lightning in the Pacific, the Aleutians, China-Burma-India

By,
Warren M. Bodie

THE INCREDIBLE MISSION

There is little doubt that it was one of the most beautifully planned
and brilliantly executed combat missions of the entire war. Although
there was a dearth of parametric or demonstrated data upon which to
draw in planning the escapade. this did not deter the primary
planner one iota. Fortunately for those involved a small contingent
of early-model P-38s had been delivered to the Thirteenth Air Force
just a couple of months earlier. Otherwise there was not an AAF or
Navy aircraft that could perform the feat at all, let alone have
some remote chance for success. The exploit to which we refer was
the intriguing "Yamamoto Mission."

US Navy cryptographers (whose work should have saved Pearl Harbor
and was the hinge pin for success at Midway) had broken yet another
Japanese secret code by early 1943. Interception of messages sent in
that code disclosed plans for Fleet Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto and his
staff to pay a flying visit from Rabaul to the Bougainville base at
Buin on the 18th of April, 1943. The key message was intercepted
only a few days earlier, on April 13. Now ordinarily it would have
been only of academic interest with no chance to capitalize on it.
However, some quick-witted personnel realized that here existed a
diminutive but real opportunity to - in the appropriate context -
assassinate the supreme command officer in the Imperial Japanese
Navy, the man who planned the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Initially a Navy-Marine operational effort, the format was altered
to include the AAF when it was quickly calculated that no naval
aircraft types available could fly the necessary mission profile
with any hope of returning to a friendly base. Only the P-38
Lightning had a remote chance, based on its range, to intercept and
destroy the flag officer's airplanes with their valuable cargo.

What made such a mission so difficult to carry out!

First, any direct route to Empress Augusta Bay and Buin meant that
the aircraft would be flying over enemy territory and enemy surface
vessels for most of the distance, with total probability that the
intended prey would be warned off and the attackers would fly into
an ambush. Second, the admiral's transporting aircraft would surely
be escorted by fighter aircraft and would undoubtedly be met by as
many as 100 friendly fighters from Kahili upon arrival. Third, the
distance on any route that might avoid early warning would be about
450 to 500 miles, one way - a distance that no other fighter
aircraft in the world could negotiate in early 1943 with any chance
of success, especially with a requirement to fly at sea level and
with allowance for at least 15 minutes of combat required at the
target area.

To Major John Mitchell, C.O. of the 339FS, fell the task of devising
and leading the Yamamoto mission. Mitchell planned to have a "hit"
team of modest size (four P-38s) attack the incoming transports
carrying Yamamoto and his staff officers (including the valuable
Adm. Ugaki), while a larger group would fly high cover to ward off
the expected swarm of Navy Zeke fighters rising from Kahili
airfield. The P-38s would have to fly "on the deck" all the way to
avoid radar or visual contact, thereby increasing fuel consumption
far above normal levels that could be expected when operating at
high level. The P-38 drag characteristic was not at its best at low
altitudes.

(Most accounts attribute the mission to the 339th Fighter Sqdn., but
it is only fair to point out that the original four "killer" pilots
were from the 70th FS and eight of the escorts were from the 12th
FS. The 18th and 347th Fighter Groups were involved.)

Two aborts very early in the mission struck the "hit" team. Lt.
James McLanahan's P-38G blew a tire on takeoff, while Lt. Joseph
Moore was unable to get his external fuel tanks to feed. That left
two original members of the team, Capt. Thomas G. Lanphier, Jr., and
Lt. Rex T. Barber, to carry on. By previous arrangement, Lts: Besby
F. Holmes and Ray Hine of the 339th FS peeled off from the escort
formation to join them. Thus, the covering team was reduced to twelve
aircraft.

Rather amazingly, the two Mitsubishi G4M2 Betty bomber-transports,
converted from a bomber type that was the mainstay of the Japanese
Navy's bomber force, arrived over the destination almost precisely to
the minute specified in the intercepted messages. Even more
amazingly, Mitchell's P-38G Lightnings arrived within 30 seconds of
the admiral's contingent that included six protective fighters. No
swarm of escort fighters had risen from the Kahili Airfield at that
moment, although many were warming up to participate in a formal
escort.

Lanphier swung in instantly to attack the leading Betty with Rex
Barber flying as his wingman. With enemy fighters outnumbering them,
and with the two bombers (that had to be shot down at all costs)
splitting off in different directions in evasive maneuvers, there
was a considerable amount of post mission controversy being
generated. But it was certain that the two bomber-transports went
down to crash heavily, and that most of the fighter escort for
Yamamoto suffered the same fate.

The controversy over who actually shot Admiral Yamamoto's aircraft
out of the sky and how many aircraft were actually destroyed may
never be settled to the satisfaction of all participants or
historians. It was argued for years that no less than three bombers
were shot down, but that contention was eventually disproven.

What is undeniable in the light of post war analysis is that:

        1) Vamamoto was killed in the aircraft that crashed in the
        jungle (his body was recovered).
        2) Two Betty aircraft were involved, not three. and both
        were shot down.
        3) At least five Zero Fighters were destroyed in the attack.
        4) Only one P-38 was lost as a result of the combat mission
        ( Lt. Ray Hine).
        5) Major John Mitchell did plan and execute a near perfect
        mission that achieved 100 percent of its objectives, no
        matter whose slugs killed the admiral.

In the face of much rancor, Capt. Lanphier (now Col. USAF, Ret.), is
- on the basis of eyewitness accounts and post mission briefing -
credited with shooting down the Yamamoto airplane.  The official
records, though far from being conclusive, also stand to support the
claim. Lt. Rex Barber (now Col. USAF. Ret.), who was in the thick of
the fight. generally supports the claims of Lanphier but disagrees in
much detail. But nothing is likely to alter the record after some 35
years.

Odds against success of the action were enormous. On the basis of
probable "foul ups" alone (information leaks, weather, incorrect
information, bad planning, aircraft malfunctions), the mission had
little chance to succeed. When you consider that the very new
310 gallon drop tanks had never been used in the Pacific before and
that about a dozen pilots would be taking off for the first
time with the equivalent of two 2000 pound bombs or assymmetrical
loads on the bomb pylons in Army Hot Day conditions, the odds looked
even worse.

Sixteen P-38Fs and Gs from the 70th Fighter Squadron of the 18th
Fighter Group, 12th FS of the same group, and the 339th FS from the
347th Fighter Group took off on that April 18th precisely at 7:10 am,
and fourteen of the pilots arrived on time over Bougainville.

If the Lockheed P-38 had done nothing more in the war, its
contribution over Empress Augusta Bay was at least equal to the
value of the Tokyo Raid a year earlier, conducted by B-25 Mitchells
(no relationship). Unfortunately, secrecy was far more important at
the time than any amount of publicity. so the news was suppressed.

Steve New

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 14:54:22 +0200
From:    Erik Scheuermann <[email-masked]>
Subject: strange aircraft armament questions

Hi,

Some days ago I bought myself a new book on WWII aircraft, the chapter on
the FW190 and the ME163 had some short notes on vertical fireing weapons
mounted on these aircraft. The ME163 was supposed to mount some verticaly
fireing rockets, activated by the shadow of a bomber falling onto some
optical sensors. The stuff mounted on the FW190 was even weirder, they
even had some pictures, one thing were six upward fireing 30mm guns
fired with the same sensors as the rockets noted above. The other picture
showed a FW190 with a box left and right of the fussulage, these were
described as experimental downward fireing mortars the were triggered by
changes in the magnetic field when flying over a tank.
Has anyone on this list heard or read of these or other strange aircraft
weapons and can shed some more light on this. Are there any good books
on such strange developments (not only aircraft weapons)?

BTW I think it was on this list that someone posted the Mosaic-adress
of the Jane's information group, could someone mail it to me, the one
I have doesn't seem to work.

                                        Thanx a lot in advance
                                        and So long

                                                Erik

p.s. I forgot my email adress:
        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 15:04:06 +0200
From:    Bengt Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN:  Renegade Officers in WW2

>Hello everyone!
>
>I was trying to come up with instances where officers explicitly
>disobeyed orders, and could only come up with a few realtively benign
>examples.  I refer to them as 'benign' because they countermanded orders
>that were somewhat extreme.

Since you mentioned 1943 you are perhaps already aware of what happened when
SS General Paul Hausser was explicitly ordered to defend Charkov to the last
man. He tried to persuade his superior officers that it was madness, and
finally appealed to Hitler himself. Permission was denied but he evacuated
all the same.

I suppose your interest is limited to WWII. I'm sure there are
numerous examples throughout history.

Bengt Nilsson
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 08:01:29 CST
From:    Jesse Carnes <[email-masked]>
Subject: USS Kidd & Veteran's Day

Dear All ;

I am just a novice on this net, so please be patient with me.
At any rate, I was invited to be a part of the Veteran's Day ceremonies
here in Baton Rouge LA, which were held at the USS Kidd.
Commander Bob Wood, pilot (USN) was featured speaker.  He was a pro. and
a fine polished officer to dialogue with.

Impressive ceremony.  My brother and I were dressed in WW2 8th AAF gear from
head to toe.  We were not in the armed forces, but were merely "wanna be's"
who had enlisted after Vietnam, but the USN were not happy with the strength
of our eye glasses, so they denied us entrance.  *SIGH*

Nevertheless, we were glad to dress "in character" at the Vet's Day ceremonies
... and it was the first time that I had worn military gear (Bomber pilot's
garb) at a real military ceremony ... and it was neat to salute the flag rather
than the usual "civi" modus operandi.

A wanna bewho got a little taste of military ceremony ...

Jesse Carnes
[email-masked]
Baton Rouge, LA
LSU

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 10:03:37 PST
From:    Jim Brady <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (The Yamamoto Mission)

>Wings Magazine 4 August 1978
>
>"The P-38 Lightning in the Pacific, the Aleutians, China-Burma-India
>
>By,
>Warren M. Bodie
>
>
>THE INCREDIBLE MISSION
>
[ trimmed ]

>Steve New

Steve,

  A facinating story! Do you have at hand any more details of the actual
attack? I was curious how the p-38s approached, what altitude, how far of a
chase they had to do, how much of a lead they had on the return trip over the
 larger escort that had been warming up and I'm sure by then was zooming in
their direction.

 -- Jim Brady

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 10:47:38 EST
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Family Archives

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  14-Nov-1994 09:44am EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Re: Family Archives

    Since this directly relates to my to my profession - archives and
    records management - I can't help but add my buck two eighty to this
    thread.
         One of the first rules of archives is to do nothing that will
    permanently alter the document.  It is the case, though, that a good
    bit of the paper used then and now is full of acid since it was made
    from wood pulp.  This is especially the case with newsprint, teletype
    and telegram papers.  These might be best treated with a de-acidifier
    such as Wei T'O which will protect the document from further yellowing
    and embrittlement.  Be sure to use this stuff in a well ventilated area
    - it will make you sick.
         Earlier suggestions to use acid-free folders should be followed
    with this added comment:  place any treated or untreated pieces in
    their own folders (so any acids or other imperfections do not bleed
    onto the other documents) unless you have encapsulated them.  Manila
    folders do have some acid in them so they're not good storage mediums.
    All documents should be stored unfolded to take the pressure off the
    seams.
         Encapsulation is a good idea, especially if the document is
    brittle or has been folded (which breaks the fibers and encourages
    tearing) but be sure to use the right materials.  The best material is
    two sheets of 4 mil, type D mylar cut oversize and put together with
    double sided clear tape.  (I've heard comic book bags are actually bad
    for storing for the long-term.)  Three of the four corners of tape
    should overlap with the fourth corner open about 1/8" to allow
    breathing.  This breathing space (as noted in prior posts) is necessary
    to not trap in any harmful elements.  It also makes sure that when the
    document is moved from one environment to another it can adjust.
         See if you can buy a good Hollinger box(es) from a local archives
    or historical society.  These boxes come in various sizes and are
    acid-free.
         Photo prints and negs should be stored in separate boxes or
    folders.  If you use plastic sleeves be sure they are archival.  If you
    use paper sleeves, they must be acid-free and not glued: glue will
    eventually transfer to the print or neg and stain it.  Photos and negs
    should really be in a refrigerated environment with low humidity.  You
    should also copy any nitrate negs with safety film and destroy the
    nitrate.  (This is not absolutely necessary is you have only a small
    number of negs and if you keep them away from other negs and prints -
    since the nitrate travels and can ruin your other items - and allow the
    nitrate negs to breathe to "cook off.")  Do not write on photos or negs
    and if you write on sleeves or folders use only #2 pencil - ink will
    eventually bleed.
         The perfect environment for any materials is usually impossible so
    try for a general environment for all materials of 50% relative
    humidity and 65 F temperature.  What is perhaps the most harmful in the
    long run is rapid fluxuation in environment so try to avoid it.
    Keeping the materials in a fire-proof safe may not be best unless
    you're sure the environment is stable and doesn't fluxuate.  Do not
    store documents and especially photos in wood cases or cabinets because
    of the acids.  Baked enamel metal cabinets are best.
         Make good xerox copies (on acid-free paper, of course) of all your
    documents and use the copies for reference.  Ditto for any photo prints
    and negs.  I'd store the originals off-site and keep the copies nearby.
         If you want to display items try using the copies instead of the
    originals.  If you must use the originals then put them behind UV
    protection.  Robert Granvin is right about the effects of UV so the
    following cautions are offered.  Use UV protecting glass but be sure to
    place the etched side out since the etching is done with acid and all
    of it might not have been washed off.  Use only acid-free paper for
    matting and backing.  Display originals only for a short time (no more
    than three months) or even UV protection measures will weaken.
         Make a descriptive inventory of all items and try to do a short
    background piece on the people mentioned in the documents.  Keep the
    inventory at the front of the storage box.
         Many universities have archives and preservations departments,
    usually within their libraries, with people happy to provide
    assistance.  If uni's aren't close then try historical societies or
    museums or even corporations which could have preservation departments.
    Museums are the place to turn to if you have artifacts which require
    preservation.

    Doug McCabe
    Archives and Special Collections
    Ohio University  (in Athens, not Columbus)

Received:  14-Nov-1994 10:47am

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 10:28:54 -0600
From:    Drew Halevy <[email-masked]>
Subject: HIST-The study of the Pacific War

As some of you may know, I have been reading the book Tannozan (sp?)
about the invasion of Okinowia, and I have many questions that I hope our
members can help answer-

1. From what I have read, Operation Iceberg was much, much larger than
Operation Overlord, and yet there seems to be little discussion about it
( I go to the local bookstore in the mall and there are DOZENS of books
on D-Day.) Why is the Pacific War such a sideshow in terms of history?

2. For those who were alive during the War, how was the Pacific war
viewed? Was it seen as secondary? If one were in the service and had a
choice, would one choose Europe or the Pacific?

3. The author talks about the 27th being taken off the line and being
replaced by the 6th Marines (I think I have my unit numbers correct, I am
doing it from memory), because it was felt that the Army was not pushing
hard/fast enough. Does the historical record bear this out, or has the
27th been given a bum deal by history?

thanks to all for you answers. As I read more works on WWII, I find that
those who write about battle and those who fought in the battle often
have two very different views of the same reality. I am finding that
works by those who fought to be an increasingly valuable resource for the
study of WWII.-Drew

Drew Philip Halevy      | Faber est suae quisque fortunae-
Grad Student            |
Department of History   | Each man is the smith of his own fortune-
University of Arkansas  |
[email-masked]   | -Appius Claudius Caecus

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:13:48 EST
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Untold Stories f/TLB, Pt. 4

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  11-Nov-1994 10:36am EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Untold Stories f/TLB, Pt. 4

    [It's probably time for what may pass for humor.]

         About the middle of April, Prof. Dr. Huckel was heading rapidly
    for a nervous breakdown.  The intensity of the war, its senselessness,
    his rage against Hitler all got the best of him.  His wife recalls that
    about this time during one lull in the air raids he yelled out of the
    open window, "Der Kerl muss umgebracht werden!" (that fellow must be
    bumped off!).  Frau Huckel hardly knew how to calm her husband - if a
    party member heard such an outbreak....
                                  - interview with Annemarie Haller, Berlin

         "I was at Oflag 69, a POW camp near Brunswick, and we were
    liberated by a single American soldier, a hugh Negro, who was lost and
    at that point was some 20 miles ahead of his division.  The German
    guards had all left, but the officers remained manning the camp machine
    guns because they could not, in all honor and as good Prussian military
    men, surrender to unarmed men - prisoners.  When the Negro arrived in
    his jeep, they surrendered the camp, much to the American's confusion."
                                  - Capt. Frank King, 1st British AB Div.

         "Inside the police headquarters on the Alexanderplatz I found a
    parrot in a cage.  I took him out of the cage to take him along with
    me, because I love animals.  The stupid beast bit my index finger and
    did not let up.  I could not take him off.  Finally I took my pistol
    and said, 'you nazi-parrot' and shot him dead.  It was the only enemy I
    had encountered inside the police headquarters.  But later on I was
    very sorry for the poor parrot."
                                       - Lt. Igor Mikayoff, Soviet Army

         "British Field Marshal Montgomery and I had the first very cordial
    meeting in Wismer where we wxchanged courtesies and decorations and
    then we had a talk.  Then came our meeting when we, the Russians, were
    the host where we had a fully laden table with wines.  There was
    singing, there was an ensemble of Red Army artists, and also dancing.
    When Montgomery came his aide informed us that Montgomery didn't drink
    - perhaps only a glass of lemonade - and I shrugged my shoulders.  But
    when we were sitting soon I said that it was our custom that when the
    hosts drink so must the guests also.  So Montgomery drank, he danced
    with a girl and he left in his car shouting 'Hurrah!' and firing his
    revolver in the air."
                                  - General K. Rokossovskii, Soviet Army

         "From the hall and kitchen we often peek outside.  There are some
    priceless scenes taking place.  It is hilarious to see how the
    [Russian] soldiers are all practicing bicycle riding.  With serious
    faces, they keep falling off, riding into one another, etc.  Girls'
    bicycles are especially well liked because of easier mounting.  With
    Robert's help one of them repaired the motorcycle.  He races off with
    it.  Another tries to jump on behind, fall off a few times.  Then both
    of them fall off.  Finally they succeed in getting onto the motorcycle
    and off they go - only to ride into a horse!  Now horse, Russians and
    all are on a heap on the ground.  The two get back on their motorcycle
    and now vanish from sight.  They come back later looking pretty messy
    though."
                                       - diary of Ingeborg Kolb, Berlin

         "Into our courtyard moved other troops, many of them Mongolians
    with their horses and wagons and even _two_camels_."
                                            - Lise-Lotte Ravene, Berlin

         "Much like in Great Britain and the United States during the war
    when it was possible for a town or a person to subscribe for a Spitfire
    or a tank, so had the russians a similar idea where collectives could
    present items of equipment to their units or men.  in one case the wife
    of a Sgt. Butnik [!] saved sufficient funds to purchase a mortar for
    her husband.  This mortar had a small brass plaque on it saying that it
    had been presented by Butnik's wife.  He used it all through the war
    but when crossing the Spree he dropped the entire mortar into the
    river.  This Christmas present mortar had more than sentimental value
    and he dared not lose it so he dived into the Spree and after one or
    two attempts he found it and brought it to the surface safe and sound
    and was able to use it again.  The mortar with its plaque now is
    preserved in the Red Army Museum in Moscow."
                                                      - Soviet Army Story

    Next, back to the macabre.

    Doug

Received:  14-Nov-1994 01:13pm

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:07:31 -0500
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: Tuskegee Airmen (fwd)

This was forwarded to the Milhst-l list from the museum list. I figured
someone here may be of help to this gentleman. Sorry if you've already
seen it. Cheers,
David Rising

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Dear Sirs,
I'm looking for historical information on the Tuskegee Airmen of WWII.  Any
information or help is appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

            [email-masked]/ [email-masked]
            WIN-D 99.9m/ Dlite V.204  (Registered)

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:42:01 -0500
From:    Warren Thompson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Tuskegee airmen

Try the following:

        Stanley Sandler. SEGREGATED SKIES: ALL-BLACK COMBAT SQUADRONS OF WW
                II. Smithsonian Inst Press, 1992

                        ISBN: 1-56098-154-7

Hope this helps.

-- Warren Thompson

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:49:10 EST
From:    Cassady Craft <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HIST-The study of the Pacific War

Drew,  during my lunch breaks I have been reading _Howling Mad vs. The Army_
by Harry Gailey.  This book has to do with the conflict between the Smiths
during the Saipan (and earlier) operations.  As you probably know, the stink
of the situation was the the 27th was moving too slow, and the Marine corps
commander H.M. Smith relieved the 27th's commanding officer, Ralph Smith.
As a Marine releived an Army officer, there has been controversy over this
decision.  Gailey's book is either a devestating critique of the Marine's
Smith, or is very, very biased.  I haven't read H.M. Smith's biography or
any other operational histories, so I cannot determine which.

It is interesting that the 27th was again a laggard on Okinawa, as it had been
earlier in the Caroline's and Saipan.  I am sure that Gailey will not bring
this up by the time I have completed the book.

I am interested in tapping the resources on the 'net in trying to determine
what the real scoop was about Ralph Smith, the 27th, and H.M. Smith, USMC.

Cassady Craft
Department of Political Science
University of Georgia
e-mail [email-masked]
or
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:59:38 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP:  CV-31 Bon Homme Richard

From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships, Vol. I, 1964, Navy
Department, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Naval History
Division, Washington, D.C.

BON HOMME RICHARD (CV-31)

dp. 27,100;
l. 872';
b. 147' 6";
dr. 28' 7";
s. 33 k.;
cpl. 3448;
a. 12 5";
cl. ESSEX

The second BON HOMME RICHARD (CV-31) was launched 29 April 1944 by New
York Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. J. S. McCain, wife of Vice Admiral
McCain; and commissioned 26 November 1944, Captain A. O. Rule, Jr., in
command.

BON HOMME RICHARD departed Norfolk 19 March 1945 to join the Pacific
Fleet and arrived at Pearl Harbor 5 April 1945.  Following additional
training in Hawaiian waters, the carrier joined TF 38 off Okinawa 6 June
1945.  During 7-10 June she joined in the attacks on Okino Daito Jima
and then served with the 3rd Fleet during the air strikes against Japan
(2 July-15 August).  She remained off Japan until 16 September and after
a short training period off Guam, proceeded to San Francisco, arriving
20 October.  She left San Francisco 29 October and steamed to Pearl
Harbor to undergo conversion for troop transport duty.  From 8 November
1945 to 16 January 1946 she made trans-Pacific voyages, returning
servicemen to the United States.  BON HOMME RICHARD then reported to
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard for inactivation and was placed  out of
commission in reserve 9 January 1947.

BON HOMME RICHARD was recommissioned 15 January 1951 and on 10 May
departed San Diego for the Far East.  She joined TF 77 off Korea on 29
May and launched her first air strikes 31 May.  BON HOMME RICHARD
continued operations with TF 77 until 20 November 1951.  The carrier
reached San Diego in mid-December and on 22 May 1952 was off again for
the Far East.  She joined TF 77 once more on 23 June and took part in
heavy strikes against the North Korean power complex (24-25 June) and
the amphibious feint at Kojo (12-16 October).  She continued operation
against North Korea targets until 18 December 1952 and then steamed to
San Francisco where she arrived 8 January 1953.  Her classification was
changed from CV-31 to CVA-31, 1 October 1952.

BON HOMME RICHARD went out of commission 15 May 1952 preparatory to
modernization.  When recommissioned 6 September 1955, she had an angled
and strengthened flight deck, enclosed bow, enlarged elevators, and
steam catapults.  She completed her conversion period 31 October 1955
and commenced sea trials in the Alameda-San Diego area.  BON HOMME
RICHARD has since continued to serve with the Pacific Fleet and has made
two tours of the Far East.

BON HOMME RICHARD received one battle star for her World War II service
and five battle stars for participation in the Korean conflict.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:59:54 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP:  CV-8 USS Hornet

From: DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN NAVAL FIGHTING SHIPS, James L.
Mooney, ed., Naval Historical Center, Department of the Navy,
Washington, DC., 1969

HORNET CV-8

dp. 19,800;
l. 809'9";
e. w. 144';
d. 21' 8";
s. 33 k.;
cpl. 1,889;
a. 8 6", 16 1.1 mg.;
class. HORNET

The seventh HORNET (CV-8) was launched 14 December 1940 by the
Newport News Ship Building & Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.;
sponsored by Mrs. Frank M. Knox, wife of the Secretary of the
Navy; and commissioned at Norfolk 20 October 1941, Captain Marc
A. Mitscher in command.

During the uneasy period before Pearl Harbor, HORNET trained out
of Norfolk. A hint of a future mission occurred 2 February 1942
when HORNET departed Norfolk with two Army B-25 medium bombers
on deck. Once at sea, the planes were launched to the surprise
and amazement of HORNET's crew. Her men were unaware of the
meaning of this experiment, as HORNET returned to Norfolk,
prepared to leave for combat, and on 4 March sailed for the West
Coast via the Panama Canal.

HORNET arrived San Francisco 20 March. With her own planes on
the hangar deck, she loaded 16 Army B-25 bombers on the flight
deck. Under the command of Lieutenant Colonel James H. Doolittle
70 officers and 64 enlisted men reported aboard. In company of
escort ships HORNET departed San Francisco 2 April and embarked
on her mission under sealed orders. That afternoon Captain
Mitscher informed his men of their mission: a bombing raid on
Japan.

Eleven days later HORNET joined ENTERPRISE off Midway and Task
Force 16 turned toward Japan. With ENTERPRISE providing air
combat cover, HORNET was to steam deep into enemy waters where
Colonel Doolittle would lead the B-25s in a daring strike on
Tokyo and other  important Japanese cities. Originally, the task
force  intended to proceed to within 400 miles of the Japanese
coast; however, on the morning of 18 April a Japanese patrol
boat, NO. 23 NITTO MARU, sighted HORNET. The cruiser NASHVILLE
sank the craft which already had  informed the Japanese of the
presence and location of the American task force. Though some
600 miles from the Japanese coast, confirmation of the patrol
boat's warning prompted Admiral William F. Halsey at 0800 to
order the immediate launching of the "Tokyo Raiders."

As HORNET swung about and prepared to launch the bombers which
had been readied for take-off the previous day, a gale of more
than 40 knots churned the sea with 30-foot crests; heavy swells,
which caused the ship to pitch violently, shipped sea and spray
over the bow, wet the flight deck and drenched the deck crews.
The lead plane, commanded by Colonel Doolittle, had but 467 feet
of flight deck while the last B-25 hung far out over the
fantail. The first of the heavily-laden bombers lumbered down
the flight deck, circled HORNET after take-off, and set course
for Japan. By 0920 all 16 of the bombers were airborne, heading
for the first American air strike against the heart of Japan.

At full speed for Pearl Harbor. Intercepted broadcasts, both in
Japanese and English, confirmed at 1446 the  success of the
raids. Exactly one week to the hour after launching the B-25s,
HORNET sailed into Pearl Harbor. HORNET's mission was kept an
official secret for a year; until then President Roosevelt
referred to the origin of the Tokyo raid only as "Shangri-La."

HORNET steamed from Pearl 30 April, to aid YORKTOWN and
LEXINGTON at the Battle of the Coral Sea. But that battle was
over before she reached the scene. She  returned to Hawaii 26
May and sailed 2 days later with her sister carriers to repulse
an expected Japanese fleet  assault on Midway.

Japanese carrier-based planes were reported headed  for Midway
the early morning of 4 June 1942. HORNET,  YORKTOWN, and
ENTERPRISE launched strikes as the Japanese carriers struck
their planes below to prepare for a second strike on Midway.
HORNET dive bombers missed contact, but 15 planes comprising her
Torpedo Squadron 8 found the enemy and pressed home their
attacks. They were met by overwhelming fighter opposition about
8 miles from three enemy carriers and followed all the way in to
be shot down one by one. Ens. George H. Gay, USNR, the only
surviving pilot, reached the surface as his plane sunk. He hid
under a rubber seat cushion to avoid  strafing and witness the
greatest carrier battle in history.

Of 41 torpedo planes launched by the American carriers, only six
returned. Their sacrifices drew enemy fighters away from dive
bombers of ENTERPRISE and YORKTOWN who sank three Japanese
carriers with an assist from  submarine NAUTILUS. The fourth
Japanese carrier, HIRYU, was sunk the following day; gallant
YORKTOWN was lost to combined aerial and submarine attack.

HORNET planes attacked the fleeing Japanese fleet 6 June 1942 to
assist in sinking cruiser MIKUMA, damaged a  destroyer, and left
cruiser MOGAMI aflame and heavily  damaged. Hits were also made
on other ships. HORNET's attack on MOGAMI wrote the finis to one
of the decisive battles of history that had far reaching and
enduring results on the Pacific War. Midway was saved as an
important base for operations into the western Pacific. Likewise
saved was Hawaii. Of greatest importance was the crippling of
Japan's carrier strength, a severe blow from which she never
fully recovered. The four large aircraft carriers sent to the
bottom of the sea carried with them some 250 planes along with a
high percentage of Japan's most highly trained and battle-
experienced  carrier pilots. This great victory by HORNET and
our other ships at Midway spelled the doom of Japan.

Following the Battle of Midway, HORNET had new radar installed
and trained out of Pearl Harbor. She sailed 17 August 1942 to
guard the sea approach to bitterly contested Guadalcanal in the
Solomons. Bomb damage to ENTERPRISE (24 August), torpedo damage
to SARATOGA (31 August), and loss of WASP (15 September )
reduced carriers in the South Pacific to one HORNET. She bore
the brunt of air cover in the Solomons until 24 October 1942
when she joined ENTERPRISE northwest of the New Hebrides Islands
and steamed to intercept a Japanese carrier-battleship force
bearing down on Guadalcanal.

The Battle of Santa Cruz Island took place 26 October 1942
without contact between surface ships of the  opposing forces.
That morning ENTERPRISE planes bombed  carrier ZUIHO. Planes
from HORNET severely damaged  carrier SHOKAKU, and cruiser
CHIKUMA. Two other cruisers were also attacked by HORNET
aircraft. Meanwhile,  HORNET, herself, was fighting off a
coordinated dive bombing and torpedo plane attack which left her
so severely  damaged that she had to be abandoned. Commented one
sailor, awaiting rescue, when asked if he planned to  re-enlist,
"Dammit, yes-on the new HORNET!" Captain Mason, the last man on
board, climbed over the side and survivors were soon picked up
by destroyers.

The abandoned HORNET, ablaze from stem to stern,  refused to
accept her intended fate from friends. She still floated after
receiving nine torpedoes and more than 400 rounds of 5-inch
shellfire from destroyers MUSTIN and ANDERSON. Japanese
destroyers hastened the inevitable by firing four 24-inch
torpedoes at her blazing hull.  At 0135, 27 October 1942, she
finally sank off the Santa Cruz Islands.  Her proud name was
struck from the Navy List 13 January 1943.

HORNET (CV-8) received four battle stars for World War II
service.  Her famed Torpedo Squadron 8 was awarded the
Presidential Unit Citation "for extraordinary heroism and
distinguished service beyond the call of duty" in the Battle of
Midway.

Transcribed and edited by:
Larry W. Jewell
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 14:08:38 -0400
From:    QUACK <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (The Yamamoto Mission)

If I recall there is a picture of a crashed Betty purpoting to be the Yamamoto
plane in AIR WRECKS IN THE PACIFIC AND WHERE TO FIND THEM (the book is at home
and I may have the exact title wrong).

Ron

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:13:16 -0600
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Tuskegee Airmen (fwd)

> This was forwarded to the Milhst-l list from the museum list. I figured
> someone here may be of help to this gentleman. Sorry if you've already
> seen it. Cheers,
> David Rising
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>
> Dear Sirs,
> I'm looking for historical information on the Tuskegee Airmen of WWII.  Any
> information or help is appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Forwarded back to the list, just in case... :-)

We are currently attempting to raise funds to restore our P-51C in the
colors of the 332nd FG (Tuskegee Airmen).  Therefore, we have a lot of
contact with them on all levels.

If anyone needs information or to contact a member or officer of the
Tuskegee Airmen, please call Col. John Schuck at 612/347-1750.

Of course, if anyone is interested in a donation to the project, it's
tax deductible and gives you a last chance for a tax break this year.  :-)

--
\\ Robert J. Granvin                                 User Services Specialist
// School of Statistics - University of Minnesota            [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 14:40:07 -0500
From:    chris garcia <[email-masked]>
Subject: Rocket fighter messages?

I know this is going to sound really stupid, but the day after I uploaded
the opening message and chapter of my book-in-progress I was mysteriously
UN-subscribed to WWII-L.  So any messages or questions, critiques or
responses were completely lost on me for the last two weeks.  If you have
anything to say on the subject of my manuscript or the Luftwaffe can you
repost it or e-mail me?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 15:01:34 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 4)  Charles Lindberg

Wings Magazine
4 August 1978

"The P-38 Lightning in the Pacific, the Aleutians, China-Burma-India

By,
Warren M. Bodie

THE EAGLE IN MUFTI

One largely misunderstood and misinterpreted episode of the Pacific
war involved an aviator who had nearly unlimited expertise but -
because of political animosity generated before America became
involved in the war - remained on civilian status. Charles

Lindbergh, former colonel in the USAAC Reserve, was never invited to
actively partake in any military activity because of his determined
opposition to America's entry into the war in Europe.  However, he
was employed as a special technical advisor by Henry Ford for the
Fard Motor Co. where he was deeply involved with the B-24 production
project at Willow Run Bomber Plant, and with the Pratt & Whitney
engine production programs in Detroit and Chicago. He was also
retained by United Aircraft Corporation where, in 1944, he was
granted pemission by the United States Navy to survey Vought F4U
Corsair operations and performance under combat conditions (mainly
with the U.S. Marine Corps). There were many F4U crashss and
casualties at that time. Chance Vought was also anxious to design a
neww fighter as a successor the F4U/FG1 type, but could not settle on
a small single engine type, a twin engine type or a pioneering jet
fighter.

Following some interesting and productive activity with the naval
mission, Lindbergh proceeded to Fifth Fighter Commmand Hq. at
Nadzab, New Guinea. From Henderson Field. He arrived at Nadzab Strip
No. 5 on June 15, 1944, to see Gen. Ennis White (who had left for
another destination at the time), He managed to obtain the necessary
permission to join a Lockheed P-38 fighter outfit "to observe the
performence of the Lightning twin engined fighter in combat
conditions."

Some basic arrangements had been completed regarding arrival at the
AAF base, but it was all relatively low key." Orders were evidently
misplaced at Nadzab because some problems were generated a month
later.) Cal. Fioben Morrissey. a senior flying officer at Hq.
arranged for Lindbergh to make his first flight in a P-38
Lightning. "Slim" (a name he preferred to "Lindy") had never flown
any P-38 prior to June 16, contrary to the universal belief that
his mission in the Southwest Pacific was teach P-38 cruise control
techniques to the combat pilots. Following a brief cockpit check,
Lindbergh followed Morrissey off the strip to familiarize himself
with the most powerful fighter he had ever flown.

After an hour or so he felt pretty comfortable in the P-38J and came
in for his first landing. One wheel brake locked at touchdown,
giving the Lone Eagle a few anxious moments. The tire blew out at
contact and he had to apply full opposite rudder and brake to stay
on the runway. The airplane finally wound up about 20 feet to the
right of the strip.

A few days later, Lindbergh ventured out with some of the pilots
from the 8th Fighter Group's 35th FS. Flying from Nadrab's Airstrip
No. 4, he went on a mission lasting only 1 hour 20 minutes. The
flight was fired on by Allied naval vessels when they ventured too
close to the beachhead area.

In spite of his little-known resignation from the Air Corps,
Lindbergh was generally accorded the treatment of an active colonel
by everyone (his khakis bore no wings, rank badges or emblems, etc.
He wore the identification patch supplied for technical
representatives).

Taking off from Nadrab No.3 on June 26, Lindbergh flew his assigned
P-38J west along the coast and mountain ranges to Hollandia to join
the 475th Fighter Group, composed of the 431FS (code: Hades), 432FS
(Clover), and the 433FS (Possum) under command of one of the
leading aces, Col. Charles MacDonald, who eventually wound up as
the third ranking ace from the Pacific Theater of Operations with
27 aircraft to his credit.

Not a bit constrained by his civilian status, "Slim" probably flew
more active combat missions in WW II than the vast majority of pilots
graduated from military flying schools in the 1940-45 era. He shot at
the Japanese and they shot at him. By demonstration alone Lindbergh
was far from being a pacifist.

Less than 24 hours after arriving at Hollandia, he went on his first
of many missions with the 475th. It was no milk run opertion either,
and he was with some illustrious company.  The first flight, in
which he was assigned as wingman in the No. 4 slot, consisted of
Col. MacDonald as flight leader, Maj. Meryl M. Smith (Deputy Group
C.O.), and Maj. Thomas McGuire, Jr.! Damned impressive company when
you figure that the second and third ranking aces in the Pacific area
were involved. Their target for the day included shipping in the
vicinity of Jefman and Samate.  Lindbergh, in his forties, was right
into the thick of it with the others, shooting up self-propelled
barges and a small coastal freighter of the Fox Tare Charlie type
(official code name). The mission duration was 6 hours and 24
minutes. A few days later it was a bombing mission, with each of
seventeen P-38Js carrying a 1000-pound bomb to Noemfoor Island. The
next day they flew an intercept mission with Col. MacDonald that
lasted nearly 7 hours.  Even when Lindbergh had to maintain formation
with P-38 pilots who were not using power settings which would permit
him to use his own optimum "prescription," he still managed to return
to base with 210 gallons of fuel on board after 7 hours. He led White
Flight on a mission to Noemfoor Island on the following day and on a
long bomber escort to Jefman after that.

By that time, Lindbergh had proven to his own satisfaction that
combat radius limitations in effect in the Fifth Fighter Command
could be boosted by as much as 30 percent to a combat radius of 700
to 750 miles by using proper cruise control techniques.

Col. MacDonald listened to Lindbergh's proposal and OK'd a lecture
session for all pilots on July 3. Standard technique involved
cruising at 2200-2400 rpm in auto-rich at low manifold pressures.
Slim's recommendation was to cruise at 1600 rpm in auto-lean
mixture at 185 mph IAS with higher manifold pressures. This
reduced fuel consumption to about 70 gallons per hour.

Since the 47th FG was operating P-38Js from the batch of aircraft
that had been modified by Lt. Col. Edward M. Gavin's 482nd Air
Service Squadron in the early months of 1944, they had the benefit
of about 120 gallons of additional fuel in the wing leading edge
tanks. (According to official AAF records, that was supposed to
increase their "radius of action" to 650 miles. It should be
recalled that the 54th FS in the Aleutians was flying 600 mile
radius combat missions to Kiska in the Summer of 1942 without
benefit of the 62-gallon tanks in each wing leading edge.)

Through the expedient of installing one 310-gallon external fuel
tank in place of one 165-gallon tank, fuel capacity could be raised
to almost 900 gallons, giving a combat range of over 11 hours (and
that still provided 10 to 15 minutes of fighting time).

On July 4, the 433FS went to Jefman at the western end of New Guinea
on a bomber escort for B-24s. It was a 6 hour and 40 minute
mission. When the squadron returned, the least amount of fuel
remaining in any aircraft was 160 gallons. The young pilots were
pretty well impressed.

The next evening, Col. Morrissey told Lindbergh that a message was
received recalling him to Hq. in Australia. It seems that someone
was upset over the "rumor" that the famous civilian was flying
combat missions in P-38s. They departed for Nadzab together, but
encountered terrible weather including the worst storm front
that Lindbergh had ever seen. "Slim " flew on to Australia the next
day to face a problem that might bring his tour to an end. He
didn't relish the thought.

While Gen. George Kenney seemed to be somewhat stern about the past
events in their initial moments of discussion, he suddenly turned to
Lindbergh's defense when discussing the matter over the telephone
with Gen. R.K. Sutherland (Gen. MacArthur's Chief of Staff). and it
wasn't long before they were in MacArthur's office talking about the
matter in friendly terms. Not only did Lindbergh obtain permission
to return to his previous base and activities, an enthusiastic
MacArthur fully endorsed a plan that would permit him to instruct
virtually all 5th AF P-38 pilots about improved cruise control.

Leaving Australia on July 14, Lindbergh ferried a P-47D back to New
Guinea, rejoining the Eighth Fighter Group at Owi on the 16th. He
then went back to the 475th, flying a mission with Col. MacDonald.
Meryl Smith and Col. Morrissey four days later. Rather amazingly, no
Japanese aircraft had been encountered in over one month of combat
operations. He got back together with the 433FS at Mokmer Strip on
Biak on July 24, and went on a major strike to Halmahera on the 27th.
There were more than forty B-25s, escorted by several P-38 squadrons
because they expected to encounter as many as 100 Japanese fighters.
The fighters never accepted the challange, alowing the B-25s to
plaster the bases with machine gun fire and bombs.

The next day he flew with Col. MacDonald in Blue Flight of Possum 1
(the 433rd) with Ceram as the target. It was to be a big day for the
rather shy and retiring Lindbergh. Radio contact gave the first hint
that the 8th Fighter Group was tangling with enemy fighters over
Elpaputih Bay but the "Headhunters" were being frustrated by a
shortage of ammunition. Suddenly, headed directly at him, Lindbergh
spotted a Japanese fighter. The "Lone Eagle" jammed down on the
trigger buttons, sending .50 caliber and 20mm bursts directly into
the e/a. But the aircraft did not explode, it kept on coming.
Instinctively, Lindbergh hauled back on the yoke ... hard ...  just
as his adversary zoomed upward. They missed each other by less than
5 feet and the monoplane arced over in a lony graceful curve and
fell, out of control, toward the water. Lt. Miller, Lindbergh's
wingman, watched the fighter splash.  He had witnessed the whole
thing. Although the victory was confirmed, the score was never
entered on the records of the 433FS.

By August 16th, with many more missions under his belt, "Slim" was
grounded upon orders from Gen. Kenney. Knowing that he could not
expect to gain permission to participate in the forthcoming
Philippines invasion, he packed up and prepared to leave for the Zone
of the Interior. After aiding some of the local P-47D outfits with
some expert advice on cruise control, he was on his way home.

That is the way it happened. Not planned in advance at all, but the
success of his contribution to P-38 effectiveness cannot be denied.
Lindbergh was obviously a man far ahead of his time, and a man for
all time.

Steve New

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 15:19:26 -0400
From:    "Steven C. Salina" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REMEMBERANCES ON VETER

>
>  Thank you, David. I, too, raised the flag this morning, and at about 1100, I
> also remembered. Our dead comrades will always remain young in our memories.
> Ben Frank
>

This is just a quick question, and I hope no one gets offended by it, but
isn't Veteran's Day supposed to honor the Vets who are still alive, and
Memorial Day is for the fallen soldiers?  That's just the way that I always
thought it was.

Steve Salina

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 17:00:21 -0400
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HIST-The study of the Pacific War

If you wanted to do some further background reading you could look up
Holland Smith's "Coral and Brass," the appropriate Morison volume (these will
balance any perceived anti-Marine bias in the book you're reading now.
Spector in "Eagle Against the Sun" also talks about the incident.  I really
don't know enough about each sides' merits to comment on this controversy
(Spector, I believe, feels that the Army Smith was relieved just as the
foundations for a better fighting performance was being laid, and that his
successor reaped the benefits-- although I might be confusing this with the
general relieved on New Georgia), but I will be anxiously watching the list
to learn more.

Regards

Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 16:33:43 -0600
From:    Terrance Lewis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REMEMBERANCES ON VETER

On Mon, 14 Nov 1994, Steven C. Salina wrote:
> This is just a quick question, and I hope no one gets offended by it, but
> isn't Veteran's Day supposed to honor the Vets who are still alive, and
> Memorial Day is for the fallen soldiers?  That's just the way that I always
> thought it was.
>
> Steve Salina
>

H'mmmm, I hope someone can answer that one.  Since Memorial Day was
started to honor the dead and veterans of the Civil War (and much more
the North than the South when it started), and Veterans Day was
originally Armistice Day it never really occurred to me.  My guess would
be that Memorial Day is more for those who died in War, Veterans' Day for
all who served, but neither idea being exclusive.  (And, of course,
Memorial Day is US-only.)

Is there an "official" explaination for the US?

"T"
[email-masked]
Terrance L. Lewis, PhD  History Program
Southern University at New Orleans

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 14:40:10 -0800
From:    Patrick Charles <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 4) Charles Lindberg

        That was an interesting article about Lindberg's war record.
However, the line about Lindberg's actions demonstrating that he was not
a pacifist was intriguing.  Was the beef against Lindberg that he was a
pacifist or that he was "Pro-German"?
        Any comments?

Patrick Charles
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 19:27:00 CCS
From:    Jorge Merino <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP:  CV-8 USS Hornet

> Class. HORNET

In some sources, USS Hornet (CV-8) is classified as a Yorktown class
carrier, and in some others, as a one-of-her-class: Hornet. As I
understand, USS Hornet was designed as an improved (and enlarged??)
Yorktown class carrier, after the end of the Washington Treaty.

I find the same with USS Wasp (CV-7). A source indicates that she was
a Yorktown class, but other sources say that it is the only of her
class. Again, USS Wasp was designed as a reduced version of the
Yorktown carriers, to stand with the Washington Treaty limits, that
were about to be reached.

I would like to hear your comments on this. Is it correct to classify
all of these carriers as Yorktown class? I know their design and shape
is similar, but there were many differences betweeen the early Yorktown
(CV-5) and Enterprise (CV-6), the smaller Wasp and the Hornet.

Jorge Merino

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 18:49:41 EST
From:    "Niraj Agarwalla, UMass-Lowell" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Rocket fighter messages?

Can you repost your opening chapter of your book?  From what you said it
looks like a good read.

rasputin

ps.  Hello, my name is Niraj Agarwalla, I'm a student here at UMass-Lowell
(home of the riverhawks).  WWII has always been my favorite area of study.
I don't know why? But the period fascinates and intrigues very much.  I
have been subscribing for a few days now, and I have enjoyed them immensely.
Keep it up.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 18:22:51 -0600
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Enigma

I have been reading THE BREAKING POINT: SEDAN AND THE FALL OF FRANCE, 1940
by Doughty.  He mentions that the Poles supplied the English and French
with copies of the Enigma machine in July 1939.  The French ordered 40
copies from a firm and were able to read 4,789 messages between 28 Oct.
1939 and 14 June 1940.
My question to the list is why didn't the Germans find out the British
and French had the Enigma, when they conquered France?  I assume they
immediately went through French intelligence files, looking for spies,
etc.  Were the French that thorough in destroying examples and records
of the Enigma or did the Germans just miss it?

TIA
Tim J. Watts
Valparaiso University

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 19:07:15 -0600
From:    Terrance Lewis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 4) Charles Lindberg

On Mon, 14 Nov 1994, Patrick Charles wrote:

>         That was an interesting article about Lindberg's war record.
> However, the line about Lindberg's actions demonstrating that he was not
> a pacifist was intriguing.  Was the beef against Lindberg that he was a
> pacifist or that he was "Pro-German"?
>         Any comments?
>
> Patrick Charles
> [email-masked]

I don't know about how others on the list feel, but Lindberg always
struck me as more of a "defeatist" than a pacifist, and not overly
"pro-German," although some of his comments were read that way.

"T"

   -*-+****************************************************+-*-
   < [email-masked]   [email-masked] >
   <   Terrance L. Lewis, History Program, Social Sciences    >
   <            Southern University at New Orleans            >
   -*-+****************************************************+-*-

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 20:43:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 15 NOV 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 15 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-7, Consolidated Liberator
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 8 B-25s weather-abort an armed photo
reconnaissance over Paramushiru Island.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 19 B-25s and 16 P-51s and P-40s over
SW China, W Burma, and N Indochina hit railroad targets, villages, town
areas, and general targets of opportunity at or near Man Pwe and Wanling,
Burma; Mangshih and Tingka, China; and Quang Yen, Nam Dinh, and Thanh Hoa,
French Indochina.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 12 B-25s attack the
airfield at Kawlin; 42 P-47s hit supplies, troop and vehicle concentrations,
and targets of opportunity at Mansak, Gyogon, Banmauk, Namtao, and Wuntho; 20
support ground forces in the Pinwe area while 16 attack bypass bridges at
Kawnghka and Namhkai, knocking out the latter; 8 P-47s bomb Kyaikthin rail
sidings and junction, 8 strafe Anisakan Airfield, and 12 hit targets of
opportunity during N Burma road sweeps. 280 transport sorties are flown.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 714: 6 B-17s and 6 B-24s
drop leaflets in the Netherlands, France and Germany during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): HQ XII Tactical Air Command, along
with the 71st Fighter Wing, 50th, 358th, and 371st Fighter Groups, 86th Air
Depot Group, and 83d and 312th Service Groups, is assigned to the First
Tactical Air Force (Provisional); when hostilities cease the First Tactical
Air Force will be disbanded and all of its units will revert to the Ninth AF.
  Weather prevents bomber operations and limits fighters; the XIX Tactical
Air Command flies armed reconnaissance in Merzig-Trier-Saarbrucken, Germany
area and supports the XX Corps in same area.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Austria, 80 B-17s and B-24s
attack a benzol plant at Linz, marshalling yard at Innsbruck, and troop
concentration at Novi Pazar, Yugoslavia (all primary targets), and make
single bomber attacks on Wolfsburg, Salzburg, Hieflau, the Kapfenberg steel
works, Schwaz, Ybbs, and airfields near Linz, and Passau, and Traunstein,
Germany; fighters escort the Novi Pazar, Yugoslavia raid.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): Twelfth AF loses HQ 63d Fighter
Wing; HQ 42d Bombardment Wing (Medium); HQ 17th and 320th Bombardment Groups
(Medium), and 310th Service Group to European Theater of Operations, USA Army
(ETOUSA).
  Bad weather cancels all operations except for reconnaissance by 4 P-47s and
attack by 2 on railroad bridge and rolling stock in the Po Valley.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): Guam Island-based B-24s on a shipping strike to
the Bonin Islands, attack vessels at Haha Jima Island and near Chichi Jima
Island. 1 Saipan Island-based B-24, during a snooper mission on the night of
15/16 Nov, bombs Iwo Jima Island after failing to find shipping targets in
the Bonin Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-25s and fighter-
bombers support allied amphibious landings in Mapia Islands off the NW coast
of New Guinea. In NE Celebes B-24s bomb Tanamon, Celebes Island while other
B-24s, B-25s, and fighter-bombers hit scattered targets of opportunity on
Celebes and Halmahera Islands. In the Philippine Islands, B-24s, with P-38
support, bomb La Carlota Airfield on Negros Island while B-25s hit Lahug on
Cebu Island; B-25s and fighter-bombers attack targets of opportunity on Cebu
Island and shipping off the W coast of Leyte Island; on Mindanao Island B-24s
hit 3 airfields while P-38s hit shipping and other targets of opportunity; HQ
22d and 43d Bombardment Groups (Heavy) move from Owi, Schouten Islands to
Leyte Island; the 8th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 3d Bombardment Group
(Light), moves from Hollandia, New Guinea to Dulag, Leyte Island; the 20th
Combat Mapping Squadron, 6th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, moves from
Biak Island to Dulag, Leyte Island (air echelon continues operating from Biak
Island with F-7s; the 80th Fighter Squadron, 8th Fighter Group, moves from
Morotai Island to Dulag, Leyte Island but continues to operate from Morotai
with P-38s. In New Guinea, the 68th Troop Carrier Squadron, 433d Troop
Carrier Group, moves from Nadzab to Biak Island (detachment remains at Biak)
with C-47s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

15/0143Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 21:50:08 EST
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Enigma

Dear Tim,

Interesting question. Harold J. Gordon once told me that the Germans
got the entire French spy sytem in Germany after the fall of France,
because the French never destroyed the agent lists, etc. Neither of
us could understand how they could allow this to happen. Then the
Ultra story broke, and I've often wondered whether the French
security officers placed a higher priority on the Enigma machine
and the records of it than on their human intelligence nets. In the
general confusion of the collapse, could the men detailed to destroy
the agent records have been occupied with Enigma security? If so,
it must have been an interesting moral choice, but, in my belief,
a cold-bloodedly correct one.

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 21:32:46 EST
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 4) Charles Lindberg

Dear Patrick,

The beef against Lindbergh was that he was pro-Nazi. He visited Germany,
received an award from the German government, and made public statements
about the overwhelming capabilities of the Luftwaffe, that, given his           reputation, had heavy public impact. We now know he was also supplying
information on his travels to US military intelligence, but, as a
notoriously private man, he probably underestimated the impact of
his public positions. If he did not, then he was willingly used by
the Nazis, as he probably could have gotten the same access with more
controlled exposure (If I recall correctly, he did not come back to the         America demanding an increase in the USAAC.)

When America First was formed as an isolationist group, he became its
most prominent spokesman. In late 1940 or early 1941, against the
explicit advice of his wife and several friends, he made a speech in
this capacity in which he blamed the interventionist movement in the
US on the Jews; he had never, to my knowledge, criticized Nazi behavior.
When knowledge of the Holocaust came out after the war, he was said to
be appalled, but I'm not sure he ever commented on that openly.

Bottom line: to me- fabulous pilot, fabulous airman, political naif.
He embodied all the attitudes and petty bigotries of the Midwest of his
youth, including the admiration of efficiency and the anti-Semitism.
Pro-Nazi? More like fascinated with them. He just couldn't understand
the long term implications, and wouldn't listen to those near him who
did.

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 22:31:53 -0500
From:    "Arthur D. Venzin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: REMEMBERANCES ON VETER

Can't say I know the origin of either day or it's meaning but I can say
that after my trip w/ my father 2 years ago to him each day means the same.

We have talked about the same battles and the same people on both days and
he is somber on each occasion.  My guess is that once you've seen the elephant
you always remember thos ethat were there with you.  wether they were killed in combat or died in peace they will always be part of your history and life.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 22:47:52 EST
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Eastern Front Books

Dear Arnaud,

Sorry about the delay. Out with the flu for a few days.

I like Ziemke. His numbers are way off at times (500,000 Finns!)
and there are other mistakes, but his judgements are usually sound,
and the only real competition is Seaton.

We *badly* need a new general history of the Eastern front, but it will
a few years before we can digest what has come out since 1988. Don't
look at me- my Russian ain't that good, and if it improves I want to do
a biography of Marshal Vasili Bluikher. Besides, I'm a medical
geographer.

$100+ for Carrell! Spend the money on John Erickson's books. I see you
already know about David Glantz' work. Other names: Chris Bellamy,
Bruce Menning, and, on the earlier years in Russia, the list I posted
(on MILHIST-l? I can never keep these two apart) a week or so ago.
Oh yes, if its available, the first edition of Shtemenko's THE SOVIET
GENERAL STAFF AT WAR, originally in English from Progress Publishers
in Moscow and later, I think, in an American paperback. The larger
second edition (2v. in Russian) was never translated, unfortunately.
Steve Zaloga is the best on Soviet armor technology, and Chris Bellamy          has written on Soviet artillery, but the best stuff on Soviet armor             doctrine won't be out for another year or two.

If I think of any more, I'll post them.

Regards,

Henry

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 23:09:57 -0500
From:    Michael Andrew Turton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Lindbergh

An aside on Lindy --  a book just out this year contends that
Lindy faked the kidnapping of his son for which Bruno
Hauptman was executed.  Clearly he was an incredibly complex
and contradictory human being.

Mike Turton
[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 13 Nov 1994 to 14 Nov 1994
*************************************************