Subject: WWII-L Digest - 23 Nov 1994 to 24 Nov 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 1994 00:00:51 -0500

There are 23 messages totalling 786 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. query:how to define WWII
  2. INF: USN Chronology 11-24-94
  3. INFO APPEAL (2)
  4. INF: 50 Years Ago - 25-NOV-1944
  5. Waffen-SS (6)
  6. <No subject given>
  7. ENOLA GAY AGAIN
  8. Close Air Support In Normandy
  9. First Jap Sub Kill
 10. Record combat hours, 1944
 11. GI Benefits ?
 12. D-DAY investigation...
 13. [INF] USAAF 25 NOV 44
 14. DDAY... (2)
 15. Anecdotes of Operation Overlord (D-Day)
 16. GI BENEFITS ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 00:31:52 -0500
From:    Michael Andrew Turton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: query:how to define WWII

        Edward Miller is entirely correct ot point out Japan's expansionist
aims.  Japan actually began discussing moving into Korea in the 1870s.  In
In 1874 they annexed Taiwan but rumbling from Britain forced them to give
it back to Manchu China -- Britain was terrified that if anyone took over
Taiwan it would lead to the partition of China and a general war among the
powers.  In one of history's little trivia, the Japanese plan for invading
taiwan was sketched out by the American consul in Amoy, who had begged his
own gov't to buy it, but we had just wasted all that money on Alaska.....

There was no way Japan could have fought on the democratic side in WWII as
Miller suggested, though.  They'd already been making war on China since
1931.

Mike Turton
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 04:00:12 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 11-24-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
11/24 Fri. Army aircraft based in the Marianas Islands make
           first raid on Tokyo, Japan.
            United States naval vessel damaged:
             Submarine chaser PC-1124, by dive bomber, Leyte
              area, P. I.,
              10 d. 50'N., 125 d. 25'E.
            Japanese naval vessels sunk:
             Submarine chaser No, 44 and transports Nos. 111,
              141, and 160, by Army aircraft, Cataingan Bay,
              Masbate Island, P. I.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 09:35:23 EST
From:    "MONTGOMERY,KENNETH TODD,MR" <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO APPEAL

Hello, everyone.
                 Not to try to make all of you do my research for me,
but I am nonetheless interested in other sources that I might not yet
be aware of on the following topics that I'm currently dealing with.

    The first has to do with the wartime occupation of Czechoslovakia,
and specifically the reactions of the Sudeten German minority to the
invasion, as well as their activities (both of collaboration and
resistance) from 1939-1945.  This will be a consideration in my Master's
thesis that I'm working on here at McGill University in Montreal,
Canada (and if anyone happens to also have info on the expulsion of said
German minority in 1945-46, that would also be greatly appreciated).

    Secondly, I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with works in English
Dutch, French or German concerning resistance (not specifically, but
naturally also including Jewish) in the concentration camps of the Nazi
Reich 1935-1945.  The info I've found so far tends either to focus on
specific camps or is mostly in Polish (which I sadly do not have a
command of); what I'm after are general works dealing with forms and
consequences of resistance in the camps.

    Please feel free either to send this info to the list or to contact
me directly via email if you have parallel interests or information to
offer.  My real name is Todd Montgomery (BLFE is merely a mass-produced
computer designation).

    Oh, and, lastly, if anyone is aware of survivor's accounts dealing
with the resistance issue, or knows of survivors with whom I could
speak, I would be especially appreciative of this information!

    Thanks, and I hope to hear from you.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 06:49:42 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 25-NOV-1944

On 25-NOV-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the US 1st Army sector, southeast of Aachen, some units
advance beyond Hurtgen.

Eastern Front - Russian attempts to take Csepel Island (an island between
two branches of the Danube, just south of Budapest) are repelled by the
Germans and Hungarians.

Philippines (Leyte) - In the US X Corps sector north of Ormoc, the
counter-attacks by the Japanese are renewed on Kilay Ridge. Japanese
counter-attacks also take place east of Ormoc in the central mountains. The
US 511th Parachute Regiment begins a difficult moutain march west from
Burauen towards Ormoc.

Philippines (Luzon) - TG 38.2 and 38.3 renew their attacks on Luzon and the
nearby waters. The attacks include seven carriers and they sink the
cruisers Kumano and Yasoshima. Every Japanese aircraft available are sent
against the American. Many of them are flown by the kamikaze in day time
attacks. The attacks damage four of the carriers: the Essex, Intrepid,
Hancock and the light carrier Cabot. Another light carrier, the
Independence, is damaged when an American aircraft explodes as it is coming
in to land.

The Homefront
-------------
Atrocity Details - The War Refugee Board in Washington has made public its
first detailed report offering eyewitness proff of mass murder by the
Germans, citing the evidence of three witnesses of acts at Birkenau and
Auschwitz in southwestern Poland. The report says 1,500,000 to 1,765,000
persons were murdered in the torture chambers of Birkenau from April 1942
to April 1944. The report states "It is a fact beyond denial that the
Germans have deliberately and systematically murdered millions of innocent
civilians ... all over Europe."

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "Facts On File Yearbook 1944,
Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica and "Time" magazine.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis     [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 10:15:09 -0500
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Waffen-SS

>
> > Not only was there an Indian SS unit, there was an ENGLISH SS unit, although
> > it was even smaller than the Indian one, and was comprised for the most part
> > of common criminals.
> >
> > There were also French, Dutch, Belgian, Italian, Bosnian, Danish, and other
> > foreign SS units.
>
> I don't understand, why would there be SS groups formed out of non-German
> peoples? How would the French SS react while fight French forces and the
> same with the others. Would they even know they were fighting their own
> or were the French SS (and the others) solders trators?
> Thank you for your time.

In the beginning, the foreign legions were all of "volkisch" ethnic German
extraction.  As time went on and manpower requirements became more urgent,
first Nordic, then other "Aryan" groups were enlisted.  Finally, when things
became desparate, others such as Bosnians and Indians were enlisted.

As for the Charlemagne division, there was always considerable pro-Nazi
sentiment in France.  Remember, the French were sending the Germans Jews they
didn't even ask for.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 09:06:58 +0001
From:    Ira H Krakow <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Waffen-SS

On Wed, 23 Nov 1994, Oliver Bonham-Carter wrote:

> > Not only was there an Indian SS unit, there was an ENGLISH SS unit, although
> > it was even smaller than the Indian one, and was comprised for the most part
> > of common criminals.
> >
> > There were also French, Dutch, Belgian, Italian, Bosnian, Danish, and other
> > foreign SS units.
>
> I don't understand, why would there be SS groups formed out of non-German
> peoples? How would the French SS react while fight French forces and the
> same with the others. Would they even know they were fighting their own
> or were the French SS (and the others) solders trators?
> Thank you for your time.
>
> [email-masked]
>  "...So the bartender says "Hey, that's not a DUCK!"
>

Ollie,

   You're assuming that all the French were anti-Nazi.  What about
the Vichy government, which was a client state of Nazi Germany?  This
government enjoyed widespread popular support.  There were similar
client states in Slovakia and Croatia, and Nazi sympathizers were
widespreads in many other countries.

   The Nazis recruited non-Germans into the SS because they wanted to
establish a New Order in Europe.  The New Order would include not only
Germans, but other Europeans who were sympathetic to the cause and passed
the proper racial tests.  In certain areas (the Ukraine and Latvia,
for example) they were very successful.  Certain countries whose racial
makeup the Germans deemed were close to their own (Denmark, Norway),
the Germans assumed they could win to their side because of racial
affinity.

   The French have never really confronted their collaborationist past
because it would even now split the country.  Look at the flap over
the Touvier trial for confirmation.

Ira Krakow

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 01:46:37 -0500
From:    GREGORY EDWARD SENNEMA <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

"SIGNOFF" WWII-L

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 17:56:19 MET
From:    Ireneusz Jakobik <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INFO APPEAL

(...)
> Reich 1935-1945.  The info I've found so far tends either to focus on
> specific camps or is mostly in Polish (which I sadly do not have a
> command of); what I'm after are general works dealing with forms and
(...)
I speak fluent Polish :) and if you need any help with translating
Polish texts feel free to contact me via internet:
[email-masked]
Irek.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 12:54:22 EST
From:    "SGM Robert S. Rush" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Waffen-SS

You might even consider the Waffen SS the first "European" Army

Rob Rush

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 14:06:02 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ENOLA GAY AGAIN

Sorry, Lee. I don't know how that connotation of Semper Fidelis entered the
"system" except to say that most of the people in WWII were a lot more cynical
than were earlier Marines, perhaps. It might be somewhat like the "Kilroy Was
Here" syndrome. Cheers, and Happy Turkey Day. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 13:51:09 -0500
From:    Christopher Morton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Waffen-SS

>
> You might even consider the Waffen SS the first "European" Army

Not really.

The armies of the Thirty Years War were far more cosmopolitan, as was
Napoleon's army.

The French Army of WWI included Poles, Czechs, Africans, Arabs, Vietnamese,
and American Blacks to name a few.  The pattern was repeated again during
WWII, and in the British Army as well.

Of course that leaves aside the best example, the French Foreign Legion.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 15:36:26 -0500
From:    Mike Bechthold <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Close Air Support In Normandy

Hi Steve,

        I stand by my assertion that air power was not the decisive
factor in defeating the Germans in Normandy.  Make no mistake, it was
very important, and undoubtably made the victory much easier, quicker and
less costly, but it was not decisive.  The victory was won by the
close cooperation of all the forces involved: infantry, artillery,
armour, intelligence, logistics, naval, and air forces.

Concerning your point on interdiction, the Allied air forces made a major
contribution in slowing down the movement of German reinforcements and
supplies to the battle area, but it did not stop them.  Recent archival
research by Robert Vogel has shown that some German units were able to
make very quick deployments to the battle area, experiencing little or no
delay due to the effects of air power.  Others, it is true, were hit very
hard.  Vogel states, "The interdiction plan was of considerable
importance and helped the Allied cause.  It did not fully succeed in
blocking either German reinforcements or supplies but it helped slow them
down.  It deprived the enemy of much flexibility and intiative.  In other
words it was a necessary but not a sufficient condition for the victory."

Concerning the employment of heavy bombers in a tactical role there is
much debate over the effectiveness.  When properly employed, the weight
of bombs could have a devastating effect on enemy concentrations.
However, proper employment was often elusive.  In Operation Charnwood,
the attack in early July to secure Caen, an attack was made by Bomber
Command as a prelude to the ground assault.  The attack was very
impressive in its staging, but unfortunately most of the bombs fell
behind the main German defences and had only a fleeting effect on
morale.  Operation Cobra, the American attack that finally broke the
German defensive line in Normandy was originally slated to begin on July
24th.  Weather forced a delay of one day, but not before a large
proportion of the heavy bomber force had delivered their attacks, a portion
of which fell on American units, killing Lt-Gen Leslie McNair and
a large number of troops.  The next day, the operation was restaged.  It
was more successful this time, though short bombings again took a high
toll on friendly troops.  The heavy bomber attack decimated the forward
German lines but the effect was short-lived.  When the defenders realized
the bombing was finished they emerged from their bunkers and offered a
stiff defence.  Initial appraisals late on the 25th feared the operation
had failed.  It was only General Collins' bold introduction of
his armoured divisions on the 26th that tipped the balance and achieved the
breakthrough.

There is no doubt that the absence of the Luftwaffe during the invasion
and most of the campaign was a huge advantage for the Allies.  It
deprived the Germans of their eyes and allowed complete freedom of
movement for the Allies in the bridgehead.  However, it is too much of an
oversimplication to state that if Luftwaffe had had control of the air
the invasion would have been a failure.  This would never have been
allowed to happen.  One the essential preconditions for carrying out
Overlord was control of the air.  Without it, the invasion would not have
taken place.

I do not mean to take away from the role played by air power in the
campaign.  The Allied air forces, both tactical and strategic,
contributed a great deal to the defeat of the German forces in Normandy.
However, they were only one weapon of many wielded by the Allies.
In many cases it does not make sense to tally up the accomplishements of
any one particular service, because without the cooperation of them all
success would have been impossible.

Mike Bechthold
Department of History
Wilfrid Laurier University
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
[email-masked]

On Wed, 23 Nov 1994, Steve L. New wrote:

>      I'm afraid that your arguments do not support your conclusion that
>      "...air power was not decisive > in the Normandy campaign...".  While
>      I'll admit, If I had to kill a tank, that I wouldn't send a Typhoon as
>      the first choice weapon, lets look where airpower was decisive in
>      Normandy.
>
>         1.  Interdiction missions.  Airpower was able to so badly disrupt
>      the road and rail transport that massive reinforcements could not
>      quickly be delivered to the front.  In addition, those forces that did
>      arrive did so after traveling cross country, subject to repeated air
>      attack, not fresh from a train ride from the rear area.
>
>         2.  The heavy carpet bombing in preparation for the breakout from
>      the beach area so weakened the defenders in the target area that the
>      ground forces were offered almost no resistance.
>
>         3.  Having overwhelming airpower at the Normandy invasion meant
>      that the Luftwaffe had no measurable effect on the outcome.  Had the
>      situation been reversed, and the Luftwaffe had control of the air, the
>      invasion would have been stopped at the beaches.
>
>      Steve L. New
>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 14:49:21 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: First Jap Sub Kill

I have seen it written that "Brick" Holstrom, number 4 pilot of the Doolittle
raiders, was credited with the first Japanese sub kill in the war while
assigned to the 25th Bomb Squadron, 17th BG, McChord Field.

Unfortunately, I cannot find confirmation of this kill.  CAn anybody help
me?

Please reply privately, as I have had to drop my list membership temporarily
because of problems on this end.

Thanks.

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my second | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   extended stay in Prague.       |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  | Working on second book about     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic  |    economic, social, political     |
  |   and a book about the B-25      |    problems and opportunities.     |
  |   in WWII.                       | B-25 in WWII.                      |
  | E-Mail:                          | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |   USA:  [email-masked]    | Stamp collecting.                  |
  |         [email-masked] |                                    |
  =========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 14:58:18 -0500
From:    GEORGE BAUER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Record combat hours, 1944

I have read that a B-25 called "Old 59" is credited with a record of
859 hours and 45 minutes of combat time in 121 missions in 1944,
a world's record up to that time.

CAn anybody confirm or refute this?

Please reply privately, as I have some temporary problems on this end.

Thanky you.

  =========================================================================
  | DR.  GEORGE R. BAUER             | INTERESTS:                         |
  |                                  | Computers in Business & Education. |
  | Recently returned from my second | Education:  Curriculum development.|
  |   extended stay in Prague.       |    International Education, TEFL.  |
  | Working on second book about     | Central Europe:  Post revolution   |
  |   Prague and new Czech Republic  |    economic, social, political     |
  |   and a book about the B-25      |    problems and opportunities.     |
  |   in WWII.                       | B-25 in WWII.                      |
  | E-Mail:                          | Free lance writing and editing.    |
  |   USA:  [email-masked]    | Stamp collecting.                  |
  |         [email-masked] |                                    |
  =========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 18:07:12 EST
From:    "H. Emery Ford" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Waffen-SS

On Thu, 24 Nov 94, Rob Rush wrote:

>You might even consider the Waffen SS the first "European" Army

That reminds me of something I read somewhere that claimed the SS was an
organizational prototype for NATO.  Has anyone else heard of this?

Emery

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 19:24:22 EST
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: GI Benefits ?

My Uncle served in the 3rd Army Inf about this time 50 years ago. His mother,
my 90 year old beloved Nana, wants to know (and me too) what programs he
is eligible for retirement-wise, life insurance-wise, spouse-wise, and
of course medical. Can anyone be of info service, particularly on the
medical... Thanks x10 (all in the family)

'Warm regards, Al

Alan Wild, Sr. Prog/Analyst
ACC - Lippitt - URI
Kingston, RI  02881

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 19:23:14 -0500
From:    Filiberto Farini <[email-masked]>
Subject: D-DAY investigation...

Hi I'm a student of last school year in Ecuador-Southamerica.
I'm making a monography about 6 june 1944 (D-day) I woul appreciate very
much if someone of you that have a summary of 2000 words aproximately of the
battle but only from where they start the campaign to when the take the
beachhead, you will be nominated in my work as Bibliography, and you will
appear in I.B. centre in Geneve, because my work will be corrected and
graded in Geneve.

thanks a lot and please I count on you colaboration.....

Filiberto Farini.
SMOM Embassy Quito-Ecuador
Sovereign Military Order of Malta
                 ===========================
                    Filiberto Farini B.
                  [email-masked]
                 ===========================

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 20:37:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 25 NOV 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 25 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  Beaufighter, Bristol
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): A B-24 aborts an armed photo mission over
Matsuwa Island due to weather and instead radarbombs Kurabu Airfield on
Paramushiru Island; B-25s cancel a shipping sweep due to weather.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 12 B-25s hit warehouses, village and
town areas at Lashio and Wanling, Burma. 6 attack rail targets, trucks, and
buildings at Phu Lang Thuong, French Indochina. 75 P-40s, P-51s, and P-38s on
armed reconnaissance attack river, road, and rail traffic, troops, buildings,
and other targets of opportunity at several Thailand, Burma, S China, and N
French Indochina locations, including areas around Bhre and Lampang,
Thailand; Paoching, Ankang, Ishan, and Hochih, China; Namsang, and Mongyu,
Burma; and Phu Lang Thuong, French Indochina.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 24 fighter-bombers support
ground forces in the Bhamo area; 24 bomb an airfield at Kawlin while 8 more
strafe Tabingaung Airfield and town area; 12 attack the Meza railroad station
and boxcars in nearby bridge area, storage and personnel areas in the Lashio
area and at Nawngyang, Ashang, and Man Mao; 8 P-47s strafe targets of
opportunity along the Wuntho-Shwebo rail line. Transports fly 325 sorties to
forward bases and frontline areas.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 723: 1,043 bombers and 965 fighters are dispatched to hit the
synthetic oil plant at Merseburg, Germany using H2X and a marshalling yard; 8
bombers and 6 fighters are lost:
  1. 671 of 766 hit the Leuna oil plant at Merseburg and 9 hit targets of
opportunity; 8 B-17s are lost, 4 damaged beyond repair and 197 damaged; 7
airmen are KIA, 5 WIA and 64 MIA. Escort is 716 of 800 P-51s; they claim
9-0-8 aircraft on the ground; 6 P-51s are lost (pilots MIA) and 1 damaged
beyond repair.
  2. 254 of 271 B-24s hit the Bingen marshalling yard; 43 B-24s are damaged;
1 airman is WIA. Escort is 129 of 130 P-47s.
  Mission 724: 7 B-17s and 6 B-24s drop leaflets in France, the Netherlands
and Germany during the night.
  The 36th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), VIII Fighter Command starts daily
operations as a screening force for the bombardment divisions; it is assigned
the task of protecting the Eighth's primary VHF and fighter-to-bomber
communications from interception during assembly; the increase of flak
batteries around German military and industrial installations soon compels
the 36th to increase radar countermeasures on each mission; the 36th remains
on this assignment until the end of war in Europe

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In Germany, the 9th Bombardment
Division hits an ordnance arsenal at Landau, road junctions, and an
ammunition dump at Neustadt and Kaiserslautern; fighters escort the 9th
Bombardment Division and Eighth AF, fly armed reconnaissance and support
ground forces E of Aachen and between Merzig and Sarreguemines, France. The
356th Fighter Squadron 354th Fighter Group, moves from Orconte to
Rosieres-en-Haye, France with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): During the night of 24/25 Nov,
40+ B-17s and B-24s bomb the Linz benzol plant, Klagenfurt, and Innsbruck,
Austria, and Munich W W marshalling yards in Germany, and 2 unidentified
targets of opportunity; during the day P-38s fly photo and weather
reconnaissance missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, bad weather again
hampers operations; 3 fighter groups fly only 53 sorties against railway
targets and targets of opportunity N of the US Fifth Army battle area,
cutting lines at 14 places and destroying several vehicles. The 414th Night
Fighter Squadron, 62d Fighter Wing, moves from Pisa to Pontedera, Italy with
Beaufighters.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 7 Guam Island-based B-24s, escorting a photo
aircraft over the Bonin and Kazan Islands, bomb Chichi Jima, Muko Jima, and
Haha Jima Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the Philippine
Islands, fighter-bombers range over wide areas of Masbate, Cebu, and Leyte
Islands, and surrounding waters, attacking shipping, airfields, bivouacs, and
a variety of targets. B-25s and fighter-bombers hit airfields on Ceram and
Boeroe Islands and B-24s on armed reconnaissance over N Borneo hit shipping
and other targets of opportunity. During the night of 25/26 Nov, B-25s hit
airfields in NE Celebes and Halmahera Islands.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

25/0137Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 20:37:58 -0500
From:    Filiberto Farini <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: DDAY...

In message Sat, 11 Jun 1994 12:48:44 GMT-6,
  Terry Moore <[email-masked]>  writes:

> Hello, Filiberto!
>
> If you are willing to wait, I can supply an answer to your questions,
> but your questions are so phrased that you asking for much
> information. Please be patient.
>
> Terry
>
> Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
> P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
> fax 806-371-5370
>
Hello Terry, sometime ago, many months ago you send me this message, I'm
still waiting your offer if it is on, please if you can answer my question I
will appreciate it very much, I can offer you Information of the Order of
Malta and of Ecuadorian History, as you know I'm from Order of Malta embassy
in Quito, Ecuador - Southamerica, I'm Italian so I can also provide you
anuthing about Italy, Ecuador or Order of Malta.
My Regards, wating for your reply..
 =====================================================================
 | Alessandro Farini - SMOM EMBASSY ECUADOR                                                 |
 | Internet: [email-masked]                               |
 | Voice: 593-2-230654, 593-2-565503                                 |
 | Fax: 593-2-526227                                                 |
 | Address: p.o. box 17-03-879 (Calle Saa 118 y Sodiro, Edf. Daniel  |
 |          Cadena)                                                  |
 | Quito - Ecuador - South America                                   |
 =====================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 20:38:07 -0500
From:    Filiberto Farini <[email-masked]>
Subject: Anecdotes of Operation Overlord (D-Day)

I'm collecting anecdotes that happened in this historical day, I will
compilate them and write an article to be sended to the list, please I ask
you to send me anecdotes, little stories that happened there, funny
anecdotes are also welcome.

wating for your colaboration

at later......
 =====================================================================
 | Alessandro Farini - SMOM EMBASSY ECUADOR                                                 |
 | Internet: [email-masked]                               |
 | Voice: 593-2-230654, 593-2-565503                                 |
 | Fax: 593-2-526227                                                 |
 | Address: p.o. box 17-03-879 (Calle Saa 118 y Sodiro, Edf. Daniel  |
 |          Cadena)                                                  |
 | Quito - Ecuador - South America                                   |
 =====================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 20:54:40 -0500
From:    Filiberto Farini <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: DDAY...

In message Thu, 24 Nov 1994 20:37:58 -0500,
  Filiberto Farini <[email-masked]>  writes:

> In message Sat, 11 Jun 1994 12:48:44 GMT-6,
> Terry Moore <[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>
>> Hello, Filiberto!
>>
>>   If you are willing to wait, I can supply an answer to your questions,
>>   but your questions are so phrased that you asking for much
>>   information. Please be patient.
>>
>>   Terry
>>
>>   Terry Moore, Professor of German and French, Amarillo College
>>   P.O. Box 447, Amarillo, Texas 79178, voice 806-371-5077
>>   fax 806-371-5370
>>
>>
> Hello Terry, sometime ago, many months ago you send me this message, I'm
> still waiting your offer if it is on, please if you can answer my
> question I will appreciate it very much, I can offer you Information of
> the Order of Malta and of Ecuadorian History, as you know I'm from Order
> of Malta embassy in Quito, Ecuador - Southamerica, I'm Italian so I can
> also provide you anuthing about Italy, Ecuador or Order of Malta.
> My Regards, wating for your reply..
> =====================================================================
> | Alessandro Farini - SMOM EMBASSY ECUADOR
> |
> | Internet: [email-masked]                               |
> | Voice: 593-2-230654, 593-2-565503                                 |
> | Fax: 593-2-526227                                                 |
> | Address: p.o. box 17-03-879 (Calle Saa 118 y Sodiro, Edf. Daniel  |
> |          Cadena)                                                  |
> | Quito - Ecuador - South America                                   |
> =====================================================================
>
Ok, many thanks I will wait patiently, how much time do you think?, If you
want any info of the subjects I talk about please ask to me, I will be
willing to reply to you.

thanks a lot, I'm sure we can stabilish a nice friendship to interchange
culture......

bye...
                 ===========================
                    Filiberto Farini B.
                  [email-masked]
                 ===========================

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 22:13:12 -0500
From:    Michael Andrew Turton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Waffen-SS

        Not only did the French army of WWI contain Poles, Czechs, and
Vietnamese, among others, but I read once that 250,000 Chinese coolies
were brought in to dig trenches for the French Army too.

Mike Turton
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Nov 1994 23:22:36 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: GI BENEFITS ?

I suggest that you check with your local VA representative or check with the
local American Legion or VFW chapter who have people who assist in these
matters. Ben Frank

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 23 Nov 1994 to 24 Nov 1994
*************************************************