Subject: WWII-L Digest - 8 Nov 1994 to 9 Nov 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 00:01:39 -0500

There are 31 messages totalling 1211 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. BOOKS-OKINAWA
  2. WWII Story
  3. INF: USN Chronology 11-09-94 (2)
  4. WEAP:  CV-12  USS Hornet
  5. INF: 50 Years Ago - 10-NOV-1944
  6. Eastern Front Books (5)
  7. OOPS!  45,000 lb Bomb
  8. Japanese cannibalism in the South Pacific? (3)
  9. GEN:  Marshal Rokossovsky (4)
 10. WEAP: P-40's captured by Japan
 11. Homefront: US: Camp Ellis, Illinois, pt. 2 (2)
 12. Comet Line
 13. Untold Stories f/TLB, Pt. 3
 14. Air Ace's death
 15. TACT:Halsey
 16. [INF] USAAF 10 NOV 44
 17. Submarines
 18. HAPPY BIRTHDAY
 19. JAPANESE CANNIBALISM I
 20. TACT:HALSEY

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 01:04:30 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: BOOKS-OKINAWA

As the author of two histories of Okinawa and co-author of another, I feel that
there are certain errors in this book. The reviews were mixed. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 8 Nov 1994 23:44:28 PST
From:    "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWII Story

Needed Quickly...World War II story varified:  It has been said that
sometime during WWII (perhaps just before the Normandy invasion?), a group
of Allied soldiers, trapped in a vulnerable and deadly position, were able
to send a message (to England, I believe), requesting relief.  The message
ended with a quotation from the Bible, Daniel 3:18, "and if not.."  The
inclusion of the quotation was intended to mirror the convictions and
actions of Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego in Daniel 3; that is, that while
facing certain death, they still would not turn their backs on truth,
loyalty and duty...even if no one could, or would, rescue them.  Does this
story sound familar?  (My details may be incorrect.)  I would appreciate
hearing what version of this story you may have heard, and where you heard
it.  Thanks!

Mike Rochleau-Rice
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 04:00:19 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 11-09-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
11/09 Thu.  German submarine sunk:
             U-537, by submarine FLOUNDER (SS-251), Java Sea,
              07 d. 13'S., 115 d. 17'E.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 06:53:36 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP:  CV-12  USS Hornet

From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships, Vol. III, 1968, Navy
Department, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Naval History
Division, Washington, D.C.

HORNET (CV-12)

dp. 27,000;
l. 872';
b. 147' 6";
dr. 28';
s. 33 k.;
cpl. 3,448;
a. 12 5", 40 40-mm.;
cl. ESSEX

Newport News Shipbuilding  Dry Dock Co. Newport News, Va.,
sponsored by Mrs. Frank M. Knox wife of the Secretary of the Navy;
and commissioned 29 November 1943, Captain Miles M. Browning in
command.

HORNET conducted shakedown training off Bermuda before departing
Norfolk 14 February 1944 to join the Fast Carrier Task Force 20
March at Majuro Atoll in the Marshalls. After lending air support
to protect the invasion beaches in New Guinea, she conducted
massive aerial raids against Japanese bases in the Caroline Islands
and prepared to support the amphibious assault for the occupation
of the Marianas Islands

On 11 June 1944 HORNET launched raids on Tinian and Saipan. The
following day she conducted heavy bombing attacks on Guam and Rota.
During 15 to 16 June, she blasted enemy air fields at Iwo and
Chichi Jima to prevent air attacks on troops invading Saipan in the
Marianas. The afternoon of 18 June 1944 HORNET formed with the Fast
Carrier Task Force to intercept the Japanese First Mobile Fleet,
headed through the Philippine Sea for Saipan. The Battle of the
Philippine Sea opened 19 June 1944 when HORNET launched strikes to
destroy as many land-based Japanese planes as possible before the
carrier-based Japanese aircraft came in.

The enemy approached the American carriers in four massive waves.
But fighter aircraft from HORNET and other carriers did a
magnificent job and broke up all the attacks before the Japanese
aerial raiders reached the task force. Nearly every Japanese
aircraft was shot down in the great air battles of 19 June 1944
that became commonly known as "The Marianas Turkey Shoot." As the
Japanese Mobile Fleet fled in defeat on 20 June, the carriers
launched long-range airstrikes that sank Japanese carrier HIJI and
so damaged two tankers that they were abandoned and scuttled.
Admiral Ozawa's own flag log for 20 June 1944 showed his surviving
carrier air power as only 35 operational aircraft out of the 430
planes with which he had commenced the Battle of the Philippine
Sea.

HORNET, basing from Eniwetok in the Marshalls, raided enemy
installations ranging from Guam to the Bonins then turned her
attention to the Palaus, throughout the Philippine Sea, and to
enemy bases on Okinawa and Formosa. Her aircraft gave direct
support to the troops invading Leyte 20 October 1944. During the
Battle for Leyte Gulf she launched raids for damaging hits to the
Japanese center force in the Battle off Samar, and hastened the
retreat of the enemy fleet through the Sibuyan Sea towards Borneo.

In the following months HORNET attacked enemy shipping and
airfields throughout the Philippines. This included participation in
a raid that destroyed an entire Japanese convoy in Ormoc Bay. On 30
December 1944 she departed Ulithi in the Carolines for raids against
Formosa, Indo- China, and the Pescadores Islands. In route back to
Ulithi, HORNET planes made photo reconnaissance of Okinawa 22 January
1945 to aid the planned invasion of that "last stepping-stone to
Japan."

HORNET again departed Ulithi 10 February for full-scale aerial
assaults on Tokyo, then supported the amphibious landing assault on
Iwo Jima 19- 20 February 1945. Repeated raids were made against the
Tokyo plains industrial complex, and Okinawa was hard hit. On 1
April 1945 HORNET planes gave direct support to the amphibious
assault landings on Okinawa. On 6 April her aircraft joined in
attacks which sank the mighty Japanese battleship YAMATO and her
entire task force as it closed Okinawa. The following 2 months
found HORNET alternating between close support to ground troops on
Okinawa and hard-hitting raids to destroy the industrial capacity
of Japan. She was caught in a howling typhoon 4 to 5 June 1945
which collapsed some 25 feet of her forward flight deck.

HORNET was routed back to the Philippines and from there to San
Francisco, arriving 7 July 1945. Her overhaul was complete by 13
September 1945 when she departed as a part of the "Magic Carpet"
operation that saw her return home troops from the Marianas and
Hawaiian Islands. She returned to San Francisco 9 February 1946.
She decommissioned there 15 January 1947, and joined the Pacific
Reserve Fleet.

HORNET recommissioned 20 March 1951, then sailed from San Francisco
for the New York Naval Shipyard where she decommissioned 12 May 1951
for conversion to an attack aircraft carrier (CVA-12). She
recommissioned 11 September 1953 and trained in the Caribbean Sea
before departure from Norfolk 11 May 1954 on an 8-month global
cruise.

After operations in the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean,
HORNET joined the mobile 7th fleet in the South China Sea where 25
July, search planes from her task group shot down two attacking
Chinese Communist fighter planes. She returned to San Francisco 12
December 1954, trained out of San Diego, then sailed 4 May 1955 to
join the 7th fleet in the Far East.

HORNET helped cover the evacuation of Vietnamese from the Communist
controlled north to freedom in South Vietnam, then ranged from Japan
to Formosa, Okinawa, and the Philippines in readiness training with
the 7th fleet. She returned to San Diego 10 December 1965 and entered
the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard the following month for conversion
that included a hurricane bow and the installation of an angled
flight deck which permits the simultaneous launching and recovery of
aircraft.

Following her modernization overhaul, HORNET operated along the
California coast. She departed San Diego 21 January 1967 to bolster
the strength of the 7th fleet until her return from the troubled
Far East 25 July. Following a similar cruise, 6 January-2 July
1958, she was converted to an Antisubmarine Warfare Support Carrier
(CVS-12) in the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. On 3 April 1959 she
sailed from Long Beach to join the 7th fleet in antisubmarine
warfare tactics ranging from Japan to Okinawa and the Philippines.
She returned home in October, for training along the western
seaboard.

In the following years, HORNET was regularly deployed to the 7th
fleet for operations ranging from the coast of South Vietnam, to the
shores of Japan, the Philippines and Okinawa. On 25 August 1966 she
was on recovery station for the unmanned Apollo moonship that
rocketed three- quarters of the way around the globe in 93 minutes
before splashdown near Wake Island. Scorched from the heat of its
re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere, the Apollo space capsule,
designed to carry American astronauts to the moon, was brought
aboard HORNET after its test.

HORNET returned to Long Beach 8 September, but headed back to the
Far East 27 March 1967. She reached Japan exactly a month later and
departed Sasebo 19 May for the war zone. She operated in Vietnamese
waters throughout the remainder of spring and during much of the
summer of 1967 aiding in the struggle to keep freedom alive in
Southeast Asia.

HORNET received the Presidential Unit Citation and seven battle
stars for service in World War II.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 04:22:14 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 10-NOV-1944

On 10-NOV-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The XX and XII Corps of the US 3rd Army continue their
offensives in the area of Metz and east of Nancy. The divisions of the XX
Corps make progress in the Koenigsmacker area, in the Uckange and Malling
bridgeheads and south of Metz towards the northeast. The divisions of the XII
Corps advance rapidly on the northern flank.

Philippines (Leyte) - The X Corps advances into the central mountains. The
24th Division mounts a frontal attack on a series of hills called Breakneck
Ridge which is heavily defended by the Japanese. In the XXIX Corps sector, the
382nd Infantry completes the liquidation of the last nests of resistance on
Bloody Ridge.

China - The Japanese expeditionary force captures Kweilin and Liuchow without
difficulty, depriving the US 14th Air Force of these two bases.

The Homefront
-------------
Polygamists Sentenced - Eleven women and 20 men, convicted on polygamous
marriage charges, have been sentenced in District Court, Salt Lake City, Utah,
to jail sentences of one year each after they are denied motions for a new
trial and a judgement of innocence.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "Facts On File Yearbook 1944,
Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.netcom.com in directory /pub/jbd and can
be accessed via the WWW by URL: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/jbd/ww2.html. If you
have difficulty accessing the Netcom FTP server, please keep trying because it
stays very busy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis     [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 07:00:08 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Eastern Front Books

Hello, Drew and others!

I found some more paperbacks that I overlooked. Here goes with some
more titles:

                          Paperback

1. The Warsaw Ghetto no Longer Exists by Juergen Stroop
2. Tank by Kenneth Macksey
3. Otto Weidinger by Mark Yerger
4. Otto Kumm by Mark Yerger
5. The Onslaught: The German Drive to Stalingrad by Max Hastings
6. von Kleist: From Hussar to Panzer General by Clyde Davis
7. SS Armor by Robert Stern
8. Panzer Battles by Major-General F.W. von Mellenthin
9. Hitler Moves East, 1941-1943 by Paul Carrell
10. Scorched Earth: The Russo-German War 1943-1944 by Paul Carrell

                      Hardcover

1. Hitler's Generals and Their Battles by Brigadier Shefford Birdwell
2. Hitler's Propaganda Machine by Ward Rutherford
3. Hitler's Wartime Picture Magazine Signal by S. L. Mayer
4. Signal: Years of Triumph, 1940-1942 by S. L. Mayer
5. Adler: The Official Nazi Luftwaffe Magazine by S. L. Mayer

That is it for the English Language books. The rest will be
German editions.

More later.

Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 07:28:15 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Eastern Front Books

Hello, Drew and others!

Here goes with some more titles. These will be German Language
editions that may be of interest. You will see the word "Geschichte"
many times. This means "history" for those who are not familiar with
German. In some instances, I have translated the title into English.
Here goes:

                             Paperback

1. Die Infanterie Regimenter 12 und 467-1921-1945 by Albert Bollmann
2. Panzerzuege im Einsatz auf deutscher Seite 1939-1945 by Wolfgang
   Sawodny

                             Hardcover

1. Pictorial History of the SS, 1933-19456 by Andrew Mollo
2. Wie ein Fels im Meer: die Geschichte der 3. SS Panzer Division by
   Karl Ullrich
3. Krim-Stalingrad-Kaukasus, 1941-1945 by Werner Haupt
4. Leningrad-Wolchow-Kurland, 1941-1945 by Werner Haupt
5. Illustrierte Geschichte des Zweiten Weltkrieges by Dr. Kurt Zentner
6. Wenn Alle Brueder Schweigen (Pictorial history of the Waffen-SS)
7. Division das Reich im Bild by Otto Weidinger
8. Panzerkampf im Bild by Willy Fey
9. Verweht sind die Spuren by Johann-Rudolf Muehlenkamp
10. An der Spitze by Ernst-August Krag (SS recon unit history)
11. Kriegsgeschichte der 12. SS Panzer Division "Hitler Jugend" by
    Hubert Meyer (2 volumes)
12. Kavellerie Divisionen in der Waffen-SS im Bild
13. Die Leibstandarte im Bild by Rudolf Lehmann
14. Verschwoerung und Verrat um Hitler by Otto Ernst Remer
15. Die Geschichte der Deutschen Panzer Waffe by General Walther K.
    Nehring
16. Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland by Hellmuth Spaeter
17. Unternehmen Barbarossa im Bild by Paul Carrell
18. Erich Fellgiebel by Karl Heinz Wildhagen
19. Geschichte der 16. Panzer Division (2 volumes)
20. Der letzte Monat 14 April-27 May 1945: Diary Entries of the
    former Chief of the General Staff of the Luftwaffe by General Karl
    Koller
21. Die Einsaetze der Panzergrenadierdivision  Grossdeutschland by
    Hellmuth Spaeter
22. Das war Guderian by H. Scheibert
23. Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland by Hellmuth Spaeter
24. Die Freiwilligen der Waffen-SS by Felix Steiner
25. Das Auge der Division (The reconnaissance battalion of the SS
    Panzergrenadierdivision "Goetz von Berlichingen")
26. Waffen-SS im Einsatz by Paul Hausser
27. Berlin im Todeskampf 1945: French Volunteers of the Waffen-SS as
    the last defenders of the Reich Chancellery by Jean Mabire
28. Die Brandenburger: Eine deutsche Kommandotruppe zbV. 800 by
    Helmuth Spater
29. Waffen-SS im Bild
30. Die Divisionen der Waffen-SS 1940-1945 by H. Walther
31. An Deutscher Seite: International Volunteers of the Wehrmacht and
    Waffen-SS by Hans-Werner Neubau
32. Kameraden bis zum Ende by Otto Weidinger
33. Die Leibstandarte (1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte Adolf
    Hitler) by Rudolf Lehmann (2 volumes)
34. Vorwaerts Prinz Eugen (History of the 7th SS Mountain Division
    "Prinz Eugen") by Otto Kumm
35. Soldaten, Kaempfer, Kameraden: Marsch und Kaempfe der SS
    Totenkopf Division (6 volumes)
36. Europaeische Freiwillige im Bild by Heinz Ertel and Richard
    Schulze-Kossens
37. Panzergrenadiere der Panzerdivision "Wiking" im Bild
38. Gebirsjaeger im Bild: 6th SS Mountain Division "Nord" 1940-1945
    by Alfred Stevrink
39. Pionier der Waffen-SS im Bild
40. Die Guten Glaubens Waren (History of the 4th SS Police Division
    of the Waffen-SS 1939-1945)
41. Regiment Deutschland 1934-1945
42. Zwoelf Jahre 1. Kompanie Leibestandarte SS Adolf Hitler
43. SS-Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 5 in der Panzer Division "Wiking"
    by Gunter Bernau
44. Jagdflieger Oberst Werner Moelders by Ernst Obermeier

                   Novels

The Don Flows Home to the Sea by Mikhail Sholokhov

That is it for the Eastern Front. Tomorrow I will post to you what I
have on Bradley.

Hope this has been of interest. If there are any questions, please
don't hesitate to ask.

BTW, I have supplemented all my reading with corresponding with as
many of these vets, from all branches of the service, who are or were
alive at the time I acquired their book(s). In many cases, the books
listed above contain a personal dedication from the author.

All the best.

Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 09:08:50 EST
From:    Patrick D Marsden <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: USN Chronology 11-09-94

> 1944
> 11/09 Thu.  German submarine sunk:
>              U-537, by submarine FLOUNDER (SS-251), Java Sea,
>               07 d. 13'S., 115 d. 17'E.
>
> Theron P. Keller
> Logicon, Inc.
> Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
> [email-masked]
>

Does anyone know what U-537 was doing in the Java Sea?
Was it on the way to Japan?  Was it hauling something
of importance?

Just wondering...

patrick
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 10:21:31 -0500
From:    "John E. Kollar" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: OOPS!  45,000 lb Bomb

I looked through my books the other day and found some things,

the bomb load for a B-36 is 84,000 pounds, almost enough to carry
two of the suckers.

a reference to the B-29 being modified to carry two 22,000 bombs under
the wings, no reference to how slow or how many other B-29s had to pull it
:), but as we have found references in two separate works, I think it might
have been considered for operational use, anyone else see any references
for this B-29/22,000 combo?

my reference for the bomb refers to a 45,000 pound bomb, so I think I
found it, but it doesn't say if it was ever used, only developed in
WWII.

John E. Kollar

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 11:31:22 -0400
From:    Boris Raymond <[email-masked]>
Subject: Japanese cannibalism in the South Pacific?

Some 6 months ago I ran across a newpaper item in re
an Australian book that was just coming out about
cannibalism among some Japanese forces by-passed
by the Allies in the South Pacific.  Since then I've
not been able to trace it in any standard sources like
Books-in-Print, etc.  Has anyone any knowledge of such
an intem?
        Many thanks,  Boris Raymond - Dalhousie University

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 10:20:49 -0500
From:    "H. Emery Ford" <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN:  Marshal Rokossovsky

Hi all,

Wasn't Marshal Rokossavsky involved in the Stalingrad campaign?

This is what I recollect on Rokossavsky:

He was reportedly a target of Stalin's purge in the late '30's.  He was
interrogated at length but refused ever to sign a statement admitting
complicity in an anti-Soviet plot.  The NKVD knocked all of his teeth
out, broke most of his ribs, and sent him to the Gulag expecting him to
die.

After the Germans invaded Russia and reached the gates of Moscow,
Rolossavsky, a reknowned tank/mobile warfare expert, was recalled from
the Gulag (Zhukov's idea?), and helped in throwing the Germans back in
the Russian winter counteroffensive.

I understand that Rokossovsky was the Marshal of the 1st Belorussian
Front in 1944.  Can anyone fill in the blanks here?

I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again.

Emery

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 11:27:59 -0600
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: P-40's captured by Japan

Steve-
You mentioned that the Japanese took some captured P-40's to the Home
Islands for evaluation and Air Defense.  Do you know how many and did
they actually use any against attacking American planes?

TIA
Tim J. Watts
Valparaiso University

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 12:52:24 -0600
From:    Michael D Wallick <[email-masked]>
Subject: Homefront: US: Camp Ellis, Illinois, pt. 2

West central Illinois was selected as the site for Camp Ellis because of
its nearness to the railroad center at Galesburg and its topography was
best suited for the camp's training program.  However, there were also
some disadvantages.  Rural Fulton County was not equipped to handle the
massive influx of people that came after the camp opened.  Army wives,
most with babies, encountered a lack of dependents' housing and were
forced to live in trailers, converted stores, and garages.  Miner Brock
became a self-appointed one-man housing authority in Ipava and found
quarters for three hundred.  Besides the housing shortage, Camp Ellis men
also discovered that the Ipava area offered limited off-base recreation.
Soldiers were forced to travel fifty miles or more to patronize fourteen
USO centers in Peoria, Quincy, Galesburg, Jacksonville, Havana, Macomb,
and Springfield.  To prevent soldiers on weekend passes from sleeping on
the courthouse lawn, Peoria County opened its jail to them.  In July 1943,
seventy-six Ellis men slept in the jail on beds brought over from the
camp.  Finally, the Jim Crow laws presented their own problems for rural
Fulton County.  Only 116 Negroes lived in Fulton County and almost all of
them were located in two townships.  There were no separate hotels,
restaurants, drug stores, or taverns.  The county seat, Lewistown, an
all-white community, opened it restaurants, taverns, and theaters to
colored servicemen.

Sources:
Knowles, Judy.  "Camp Ellis."  ILLINOIS HISTORY 12 (April 1959): 173.

Richey, John.  "Spoon River Camp."  ILLINOIS HISTORY 20 (April 1967):
159-60.

Roberts, Delbert.  "Remember When..."  MACOMB JOURNAL, 5 October 1994.

Waterson, Michele.  "Camp Ellis: Built for World War II."  ILLINOIS
HISTORY 36 (November 1982): 45-46.

Watters, Mary.  ILLINOIS IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR.  Vol. 1, OPERATION
HOME FRONT.  Vol. 2, THE PRODUCTION FRONT.  Springfield, Ill.: Illinois
State Historical Library, 1951-52.

Stay tuned.  There's more to come.
Michael Wallick

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 13:02:37 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN:  Marshal Rokossovsky

Hello, Emery!

Will try to answer your question.

> Wasn't Marshal Rokossavsky involved in the Stalingrad campaign?

    I don't think so. Chuikov and Zhukov were primarily responsible
for the Soviet conduct of the fight.

> He was reportedly a target of Stalin's purge in the late '30's.  He was
> interrogated at length but refused ever to sign a statement admitting
> complicity in an anti-Soviet plot.  The NKVD knocked all of his teeth
> out, broke most of his ribs, and sent him to the Gulag expecting him to
> die.

    That is correct. Only with the advent of the war, was
Rokossovskiy saved from death or execution, as were others. Stalin
found that the exigencies of the situation required a radical
readjustment of his prior feelings.

> After the Germans invaded Russia and reached the gates of Moscow,
> Rolossavsky, a reknowned tank/mobile warfare expert, was recalled from
> the Gulag (Zhukov's idea?), and helped in throwing the Germans back in
> the Russian winter counteroffensive.

    That was Zhukov. It was here that Zhukov made his reputation,
and, I am taking this from memory, Rokossovsky was a subordinate
officer who may or may not have had an influence on the outcome of
the struggle before Moscow. It was only through

  1) Zhukov's draconian measures that saved Moscow from capture
combined with

  2) the infusion or transfer of massive forces from the Siberian
Steppe, thanks to Richard Sorge, to bolster the front before Moscow

    that saved the situation.

> I understand that Rokossovsky was the Marshal of the 1st Belorussian
> Front in 1944.  Can anyone fill in the blanks here?

    I can, but specific info is not available here. It is all at
home. Will post, if someone else hasn't by tomorrow.

    More later.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 19:11:43 GMT+1
From:    SYSTEM OPERATOR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Eastern Front Books

> 27. Berlin im Todeskampf 1945: French Volunteers of the Waffen-SS as
>     the last defenders of the Reich Chancellery by Jean Mabire

This one is in French too (originally). I don't recommend Jean Mabire as
serious History. This is mostly pro-German propaganda. The Author is
fascinated by the SS and has writen numerous books with titles such as
"The Fuhrer's young wolves", "The Panzers of the Black Guard" etc...(I have
two of them).

Arnaud.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 14:55:33 CST
From:    "SCHERRER, TIM" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Homefront: US: Camp Ellis, Illinois, pt. 2

I am really enjoying this series of articles about this camp in
Illinois.  I grew up in Quincy, and my father was in grade school at the
the time this was all occuring in Beardstown, which is in this area.  I
remember my dad and grandparents telling the story of a German prisoner
who escaped from a nearby Prisoner of War camp and that "he passed right
down the street by our house" in Beardstown.  Do you have any
information regarding the escape.  I can not tell you the year or any
more details.  What made it even more scary was my dad was sleeping on
the porch--just feet from the crazed nazi fanatic escapee.  Looking back
it is funny--probably the only thing he would have done is steal some
food, but then again hindsight takes the buzz out of a lot of things.
TAS

PS--for the gent who wanted the information about the M-5--I need a
couple days to get in touch with my friends who know the guy who has the
tank.

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 16:04:33 -0400
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN:  Marshal Rokossovsky

        Rokossovsky was in command of one of the two Soviet fronts that
launched the Stalingrad counteroffensive-- I believe the one operating south of
the city against the Rumanian 4th Army, although I'm away from my sources here.
There should be someone on the list who can provide better detail.  Also, if I
recall correctly Rokossovsky was the man in charge of the Soviet armies
encircling the city after the German 6th Army got trapped there, who
eventually reduced the surrounded Axis forces to surrender.
        Chuikov commanded the 62nd Army directly defending Stalingrad in the
fall of '42, but the counteroffensive was launched with larger forces (front
rather than army commands) and was not under his direct control except for
tactical questions concerning 62nd Army.  BTW, here are a few other good
sources from the Soviet side:
        Chuikov, Valeri "Stalingrad"
        Zhukhov, Georgi "Memoirs"
        Shtemenko, ?    "The Last Six Months"  (Shtemenko was one of two
concurrently serving Deputy Chiefs of Staff-- sorry I don't have the first name
but can easily get it if anyone's interested)
        There are also a lot of other Soviet titles available in English-- I'd
be happy to print a short list if anyone is interested (be prepared for a lot
of dry Party-line stuff, suspicious statistics-- I think they killed the entire
Wehrmacht three or four times over, if you ever added up the numbers engagement
by engagement-- not that that was unusual, of course, I've read similar
comments about US "body counts" in Vietnam adding up to two or three times the
total North Vietnamese population-- BTW, the previous remark is in no way
intended to kindle a political discussion over 'Nam, just an illustration, like
the recent posts on fighter group "kill" claims, to show that in war truth is
often the first casualty, as the saying goes--       anyway, if you're up for
reading about how enlightened Comrade Stalin's war leadership really was drop
me a line and I'll post a reading list from the Russian side....

        Regards

        Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 15:48:13 EST
From:    Mary Hricko <[email-masked]>
Subject: Comet Line

    Dear Arnaud,
           Do you happen to know which station broadcasted the Andree de
   Jongh interview? As my luck would have it, a close friend of mine is
   going to France next Wednesday and again in January. If I can find a
   way to get a copy of that taping, I will be very happy.

          In other news, there is a book entitled: The Little Cyclone
   for those interested in Andree de Jongh and the Comet Line.

   Take care.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 17:00:27 EST
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Untold Stories f/TLB, Pt. 3

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  09-Nov-1994 05:00pm EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Untold Stories f/TLB, Pt. 3

    [While I stated in the last post that TLB was the weakest of the three
    battle books, I do not mean to imply it was not a good book.  What I
    mean is that TLB did not sell as well, was not translated into as many
    languages, and was not turned into a movie.  The latter was not for
    want of Ryan's trying.  With the huge success of TLD, Ryan was
    approached right after the publication of TLB to put together a
    screenplay.  Ryan felt he had been screwed by Zanuck for TLD because he
    was only paid a lump $150,000 for the movie rights, screenplay, and
    consulting on the set while the movie (and Zanuck) made millions.  This
    time with an agent, Ryan expected a better return.  This time, though,
    there was a new wrinkle: two movies would be shot using many of the
    same sets.  Therefore TLB would happen if a script and financing for
    _Armageddon_ happened.  Ryan tried mightily to come up with an
    acceptable script for _Armageddon_ but finally admitted failure,
    claiming the book was so poorly written nothing much could be done with
    it.  Additionally, financing never came through.  Thus TLB on the big
    screen was not to be.
         In our exhibit last June a number of the stories accompanied
    photographs which were integral to telling the stories.  Below is an
    attempt to verbally describe several of those stories.]

         Ryan found two people who became very important to the issue of
    what really happened to Hitler at the end.  For years there were tales
    that he had survived the battle for Berlin, escaped, and was in hiding
    in one of dozens of possible places.  While a few people (and several
    news magazines) still insist Hitler lived - and sings duets with
    Elvis - most of us would agree the evidence of his death is conclusive.
    Ryan learned that the Soviets knew very soon after the Berlin battle
    that they had Hitler's body and positively identified it.  This was
    done by having Hitler's dentist and his assistant, Kathe Heusermann,
    draw Hitler's bridgework which was compared to the charred remains for
    proof of the body.  Ryan found the dentist and Kathe and had them
    reproduce the drawings, the originals of which are now in the
    Collection.  What was not brought out was that Kathe paid for her help
    by having to endure 11 years of solitary confinement in a Soviet
    prison.

         Glyn Hughes, medical officer of the British 2nd Army (referred to
    in the last post describing what he found at Belsen) also passed along
    to Ryan a story and two photographs of considerable emotional power.
    The first photo was of a woman, her daughter, and her husband at what
    appears to be a vacation trip before the war.  They are all wearing
    bathing suits.  The second photo is as horrifying as it is a symbol of
    the will to live.  It is the same woman in a hospital ward,
    unbelievably emaciated and naked, but standing mostly erect and facing
    the camera.  Here is what Hughes wrote on the back of that photo:
         "This wretched festering body and unhinged mind is all that is
    left of Margit Schwartz, thirty-one years old, born of Jewish parents
    in Budapest.  That she is still alive is both incredible and
    unfortunate.  She is almost completely mad and one of the few things
    that makes an impression upon her mind is a photograph of herself which
    is obviously her choicest posession.  Whan a camera was produced before
    her she did an incredible thing.  Although she had been unable to move
    and has to be fed and even turned in her bed by the nursing sister, she
    not only climbed out of bed unaided, but managed to stand in a position
    approximating that taken formerly in the old photograph, while the
    cameraman took her picture.
         She recovered."

    That's enough for this installment.

    Doug

Received:  09-Nov-1994 05:00pm

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 15:13:50 MST
From:    Eric Pass <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN:  Marshal Rokossovsky

Mike Yaklich mention V.I. Chuikov's book "Stalingrad".

I think the translated version was also published in the early 60's
out of Britain entitled "The Beginning of the Road".  I think
there
even another English language version besides these two.  This was
one of the first books told from the Russian side of the Eastern
Front and even though Chuikov was in a command position, the horrific
flavour of the Battle for Stalingrad comes through.

Regards,
  Eric ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 10 Nov 1994 08:52:33 +1100
From:    John Foster <[email-masked]>
Subject: Air Ace's death

  This just came out in an RAAF association newslater and I don't recall having
seen it on the list previously.
    Clive "killer" Caldwell DSO DFC and Bar, Polish Cross of Valour Australia's
leading WWII air ace died August 5 aged 84.
    Because of his shooting ability he acquired the nickname "killer",a tag he
did not like but was unable to shake off. He was 30 when the war began an
considered to old for pilot training. He reduced his age by 3 years on the
application and was accepted.Commissioned as a PLTOFF he embarked for the
middle east in Feb 1941 and was posted to RAF 250SQN flying Tomahawks. He
flew 30 missions before his first victory which came when returning from a
mission escorting Blenheims when the force was attacked by 30 ME109's. By
december he had 7.5 swastikas on his cockpit. On DEC 5 he was leading a patrol
of 19 Tomahawks from 250 and 112 SQNs when they encountered a force of 60
Junkers 87's and their ME109 escorts. They shot down 27 Junkers and Caldwell
got 5. He was returned to Australia with 20.5 credits and made WGCDR joining
No. 1 fighter Wing as its wing leader in Darwin and his score rose to 28.5.
    After the war he did not fly even as a hobby and his friends stated that he
was not overly keen on it-he was just very good at it .....RIP
Regards
John Foster

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 20:59:16 GMT+1
From:    SYSTEM OPERATOR <[email-masked]>
Subject: TACT:Halsey

Sorry if I missed something in the previous conversations, but what became
of Halsey after his disastrous generalship at Leyte ?
Did the eventual victory help forget it ? Did his past fighting record help
him ? Or was he relegated to other commands ?

Arnaud.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 16:44:15 -0600
From:    Mark Parillo <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japanese cannibalism in the South Pacific?

On Wed, 9 Nov 1994, Boris Raymond wrote:

> Some 6 months ago I ran across a newpaper item in re
> an Australian book that was just coming out about
> cannibalism among some Japanese forces by-passed
> by the Allies in the South Pacific.  Since then I've
> not been able to trace it in any standard sources like
> Books-in-Print, etc.  Has anyone any knowledge of such
> an intem?
>         Many thanks,  Boris Raymond - Dalhousie University
>

The Military Analysis Division of the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey wrote
in its report "The Effect of Air Action on Japanese Ground Army
Logistics," dated 22 March 1946 (pp. 22-23, entry 1c13a, Section 2, USSBS,
Record Group 243 of the U.S. National Archives) that cannibalism had begun
occurring as early as mid-1942. Unfortunately, there's not much
amplification of that topic in the document.

Also, John Toland recounts in _The Rising Sun_ the thoughts of
cannibalism that tormented a hungry soldier retreating from American
forces in the Philippines (on Cebu, I believe). I don't have the source
with me, so I can't give you an exact citation. Numerous accounts of the
great hunger suffered by Japanese troops in the field have survived, many
of them in diaries captured during operations such as the ill-fated
Kohima-Imphal campaign. I have seen no references to cannibalism in any
of them, but then again one would hardly expect that sort of thing to be
committed to paper.

There are also accounts of Allied POWs resorting to vampirism or drinking
urine when maddened by extreme thirst, such as in the sealed holds of
merchantmen traveling through tropical waters or when cast adrift by
torpedoing of their vessel. Horrible conditions will produce normally
unthinkable behavior.

  - Mark Parillo
    Department of History
    Kansas State University

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 20:12:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 10 NOV 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 10 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 11 B-25s pound storage buildings and
the town area of Wanling, Burma. In China, 130+ P-40s, P-38s, and P-51s on
armed reconnaissance over S China attack river, road and rail traffic,
storage, airfield and villages at or near Tingka, Chefang, Kweilin, Yoyang,
Nanyo, Changsha, Paoching, Kweihsien, Yungfu, Wuchou, Siangtan, Tanchuk,
Mosun, Kweiping, Yuncheng, Chenghsien, Hankow, and Chikhom.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 60+ P-47s again attack a
variety of targets including Japanese concentrations at Bhamo, Indaw, Hkapra,
and Nawngtao, the town of Naba Station, bridges at Meza and in the Kawlin
area, and targets of opportunity along the Irrawaddy River and along the
railroad corridor in N Burma and support ground forces S of Bhamo; transports
fly 250+ sorties to forward areas; the 20th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron,
8th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, that has been operating from Tingkawk
Sakan since Jun 44 with P-40s, returns to base at Myitkyina.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 709: 752 bombers and 808 fighters in 3 forces are dispatched to
make PFF attack on airfields in W Germany; 4 bombers are lost.
  1. 302 B-24s are dispatched to hit the Langendiebach Airfield at Hanau
(229); 61 hit the secondary, the marshalling yard at Hanau; 1 B-24 is lost, 1
damaged beyond repair and 46 damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 2 WIA and 9 MIA.
Escort is provided by 261 P-47s and P-51s; they claim 4-0-0 aircraft without
loss.
  2. 235 B-17s are dispatched to hit Wiesbaden Airfield (105); 73 hit the
secondary, Wiesbaden/Halle; 4 others hit targets of opportunity; 2 B-17s are
lost, 4 damaged beyond repair and 90 damaged; 7 airmen are WIA and 20 MIA.
Escort is provided by 142 of 154 P-51s without loss.
  3. 203 B-17s are dispatched to hit the Butzweilerhof (96) and Ostheim (97)
Airfields at Cologne; 1 B-17s is lost and 95 damaged; 2 airmen are KIA, 5 WIA
and 9 MIA. Escort is provided by 182 of 191 P-51s; they claim 2-0-0 aircraft
without loss.
  4. 12 of 12 B-17s fly a screening mission.
  5. 79 of 87 P-47s hit communications targets in N and C Germany; they claim
1-0-0 aircraft on the ground.
  6. 35 P-51s fly a scouting force mission.
  7. 58 of 60 P-51s make strafing runs in Germany.
  Mission 711: 6 B_17s and 9 B-24s (1 abort) drop leaflets on the Netherlands
and Germany during the night without loss.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 150+ bombers dispatched against
an ordnance arsenal and camp area are recalled due to weather; 7 others drop
leaflets; the XXIX Tactical Air Command attacks railroads while the XIX
Tactical Air Command escorts bombers and supports the 80th and 5th Infantry
Divisions in the US Third Army assault in the Metz, France area.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Continued bad weather limits
operations to reconnaissance missions and reconnaissance escorts by P-38s.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): HQ and HQ Squadron, XII Tactical
Air Command; HQ and HQ Squadron, 64th Fighter Wing; 324th Fighter Group;
415th Night Fighter Squadron; 11th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron; and
several signal, fighter control, and service units are relieved from duty
with the Twelfth AF and assigned to the European Theater of Operations, US
Army (ETOUSA) and the First Tactical Air Force (Provisional).
  In Italy, medium bombers continue the interdiction campaign against
railways in NE Italy, principally the Brenner Pass, Brenta River and Po River
bridges, rail ferry at Ostiglia, and several dumps; fighter-bombers hit rail
targets and guns at several points in Po Valley.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 27 Saipan Island-based B-24s pound Iwo Jima
Island. In the Palau Islands, 6 B-24s from Angaur Island bomb Koror Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-25s and A-20s
over Ceram Island bomb Haroekoe Airfield, Piroe, and targets of opportunity
on the S coast. In the Philippine Islands, fighter-bombers again hit Ormoc
Bay, Leyte Island shipping while B-25s join US Navy aircraft in shipping
strikes throughout the same area; at least 3 destroyers are claimed sunk;
B-24s in the area bomb the town of Ormoc; the 19th and 33d Bombardment
Squadrons (Heavy), 22d Bombardment Group (Heavy), move from Owi, Schouten
Islands to Leyte Island with B-24s; the 460th Fighter Squadron, 348th Fighter
Group, moves from Noemfoor Island to Tacloban, Leyte Island with P-47s; the
500th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 345th Bombardment Group (Medium), moves
from Biak Island to Dulag, Leyte with B-25s (squadron continues operating
from Biak). The 371st, 372d and 424th Bombardment Squadrons, 307th
Bombardment Group (Heavy), move from Wakde Island to Morotai Island with
B-24s (squadrons are operating from Noemfoor Island).

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

10/0112Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 20:21:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Submarines

>From the US NAVY NEWS SERVICE

NNS752.  Kings Bay Ceremonial Pavilion Honors WWII Sub Vets
KINGS BAY, Georgia (NNS) -- During a 4 Nov 94, memorial ceremony in Kings
Bay, Georgia honoring World War II submarine Sailors, living and dead, Rear
Admiral Jerry Ellis, Commander, Submarine Group 10, announced that the
ceremonial pavilion under which everyone was standing was to be forever
known as the "Submarine Veterans of World War II Memorial Pavilion."
     Fifty-two submarines were lost during WWII, with more than 3,500 men.
Thirty-eight of the boats were lost with all hands, more than 2,200 men.
Fourteen of these submarines were lost in one year, 1944, and eight were
lost in 1945.  The submariners of WWII paid a heavy price, but they also
helped turn the tide of the war, sinking more than 5.5 million tons of
Japanese naval and merchant shipping.
     "Submariners of today and the future will never forget the sacrifices
of our World War II submariners," said Rear Admiral Ellis.  "I am proud to
be able to dedicate this building to our World War II submariners, and
their fallen comrades.  This area will always serve as a testimonial to
their sacrifices and their legacy."

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 20:58:32 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: HAPPY BIRTHDAY

On the eve of the 219th birthday of the Marine Corps, I want to sent birthday
greetings to my fellow Marines. In his birthday message to the Corps, and all
Marines, General Carl E. Mundy, Jr., Commandant of the Marine Corps, said: Some
things never change. Today, we Marines begin our 220th year of life...and we
continue to stand prepared for further action. On this 219th birthday of the
Corps, therefore, I charge all who wear the Marine green to stand tall. You're
United States Marines; and highest success in the ventures you face will
continue to be your hallmark." Happy birthday, Marines! Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 21:30:34 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: JAPANESE CANNIBALISM I

If you will check in Robert Sherrod's "History of Marine Corps Aviation in
World War II," you will find the story about cannibalism amongst certain
Japanese officers on Chichi Jima, who apparently feasted off the organs of
downed Navy fliers. Apparently one Japanese officer was so ashamed of what had
gone on, he informed on the others to the U.S. surrender group which came to
accept the surrender of the island. I know of no other such incident in the
Pacific in WWII. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 20:40:25 -0600
From:    Bob Milan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Eastern Front Books

Several years ago I read a book called "The Hot Snow" by a Soviet author.
It was a fascinating book about the encirclement of the German Army at
Stalingrad. I cannot remember the author's name nor do I recall whether
the book was fiction or not. Can anyone help me re-locate this book?

______________________________________________________________________________
Bob Milan                               E-Mail : [email-masked]
Kelvin High School-Economics/History    Phone  : (204) 474-1492
155 Kingsway Ave.                       Fax    : (204) 453-2116
Winnipeg, Manitoba
CANADA
______________________________________________________________________________
Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands
it. ...Albert Einstein

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 22:02:50 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: TACT:HALSEY

Arnaud, a board was set up to review Halsey's actions or lack of them in
commanding his task force in the storm. It was recommended that he be relieved
and court-martialed, but this was overruled by Secretary of the Navy James
Forrestal, who felt that to do such a thing to a genuine hero and great
commander in the midst of a war would be conterproductive and would have a
negative influence on U.S. morale. But Halsey's fellow admirals and certainly
Nimitz let him know in no uncertain terms that he had really blew it for a
second time. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 19:03:16 -0800
From:    Jim Curry <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Eastern Front Books

"Paul Carell" is actually a pen name. The author's actual last name is
Schmidt (can't recall his first name) and my information is that during
the war he worked for Goebbel's Propaganda Ministry!  I have read most of
his works available in English and they do show a definite "german bias".
Hardly surprising in view of the former career of the author!  I consider
them better for colorful detail than accurate analysis.  I am surprised
they're now so costly; they used to be available in Bantam paperback
editions.  Have you tried used-book stores or libraries?
Jim Curry

On Mon, 7 Nov 1994, SYSTEM OPERATOR wrote:

> > Hitler Moves East, 1941-1943 by Paul Carrell
>
> What do you think of Paul Carrell's books ? Are they german-biased or really
> fair ? Given their price, I have always hesitated to buy them.
>
> Arnaud.
>

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Nov 1994 23:36:00 EST
From:    Robert Quirk <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japanese cannibalism in the South Pacific?

From:   NAME: Robert Quirk
        FUNC: IRAP-NRC
        TEL: (204) 983-4150                   <QUIRK@A1@ATWINN>
To:     NAME: IN%"[email-masked] <IN%"[email-masked]"@NRCNET@MRGATE@ATOTT2>

You will not find the book in "Books-in-Print" since it is not yet printed in
English, only in Japanese.

The author is a professor at the university of Melbourne.

I could not find an E-mail address for him, so I sent an inquiry to the head of
history at the military college in Australia.

Here is his reply:

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Tanaka

"I consulted my colleague in Japanese history, Dr Stewart Lone who advises
me that Tanaka's book has not yet been published in English. Professor
Tanaka (who apparently usually calls himself Yuki Tanaka) has given several
papers in Australia, in particular last year, and Dr Lone suggests you
approach Tanaka directly to ask for copies of his papers."

I have not followed up yet.

Hope this helps you.

Robert Quirk

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 8 Nov 1994 to 9 Nov 1994
***********************************************