Subject: WWII-L Digest - 30 Nov 1994 to 1 Dec 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 00:05:54 -0500

There are 23 messages totalling 711 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Fwd: Re: USS Arizona Memorial
  2. Close Air Support in Normandy
  3. MEDIA:VC 2x winner
  4. Battle of the Bulge
  5. INF: 50 Years Ago - 02-DEC-1944
  6. US Army Cuts
  7. MEDIA:Comfort Women
  8. Silver Wings Pinks & Greens
  9. 50TH: HELPING THE YOUN (2)
 10. PUB: The Luftwaffe and Air War in the Mediterranean
 11. MEDIA:Tokyo Documents
 12. GEN: Another PBY Crew call (New England)
 13. Movie/Novel "Fatherland"
 14. INF: USN Chronology 12-01-94
 15. Julia Child: well, maybe not...!
 16. war fiction and the "armed forces library"
 17. Fwd: RCAF info request [Forwarded from [email-masked]]
 18. PBY Posting
 19. Waffen-SS (2)
 20. Gustav Geraet
 21. Untold Stories f/TLD, Pt. 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 30 Nov 1994 19:40:44 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: USS Arizona Memorial

Jim,  I'll respond to this gentleman and help him out.

thanks  for the forward.

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
Cultural Resource Manager
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS       (808) 422-2771  extension 130
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, James E Irwin wrote:

> Maybe our list member from Pearl Harbor can help this gentleman?
> This was posted to the Military History list.
>
> Jim
>
>
> Esteemed Military Historians,
>
> I'm a Japanese translator by trade.
>
> I'd be interested in taking a look at the Japanese version of the  Arizona
> Memorial tape for visitors, and posting the results here, if someone can get
> a hold of a copy or a transcript.
>
> I remember visiting there in sixth grade & feeling overwhelmed. In a way
> similar to the feeling of visiting Hiroshima, but much, much different---I'm
> not sure how I would describe it.
>
snip
>
> David Olson ([email-masked])
>
>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 00:18:58 -0600
From:    "William L. Huber - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Close Air Support in Normandy

>         For what its worth, I've got to agree with Henry on being skeptical of
> Rudel's alledged 187 "kills" of enemy aircraft (unless he's counting those
> destroyed on the ground).  In "Stuka Pilot" he mentions less than ten incidents
> resulting in the shooting down of enemy planes, but mainly I just can't see
> anyone in a Stuka (of whatever variant) scoring that many.  Recall how grossly
> overstated bomber "kills" of enemy fighters were during the Allied air
> offensive in the west.  Also most of Rudel's stories about close scrapes with
> enemy fighters seem to emphasize his evasive maneuvers, not actually downing
> his attacker.  Needed to get in my .02.
>
> Mike Yaklich

Not sure what the number comprises although the list has the expertise
to address it.  I know of one incident in the book where Rudel's rear
gunner had been taken out of action ( wounded or gun jam?) and he got
a top soviet ace on his tail.  He stuck the guy in a mountain just as
you suggest above.  Listing all the kills would have made for a thick
book albeit rather interesting assuming one could remember the details
of 187 victories.  I don't believe the Germans counted aircraft
destroyed on the ground as victories though.  Remember too, soviet
planes were not too tough to knock out for the most part.  That is why
Joachim Marsaille, gained such notoriety in his brief career.  His
victories were made up of British planes which were more of an even
match.

Good points,  Bill Huber / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 11:51:46 GMT
From:    Stephen Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:VC 2x winner

I caught the tail end of the news the other day when it was reported that
one of New Zealand's WWII heroes, twice winner of the VC (an extremely
rare feat) in WWII, had recently died.

I have no other information. Have any list members picked this up
and if so, could you furnish me with the details?

tia
steve baldwin
[email-masked]

**********************************************************************
EuroQuiz (Germany)
"If the Nuremberg Trials were the qualifying heats for the
Nuremberg Rally, why did they happen afterwards?"
(from 1992 And All This)
**********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 07:05:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Battle of the Bulge

I picked the following up from the alt.war newsgroup.  The sender is
Boris Raymond at [email-masked] if anyone is interested in
contacting him.

Jack McKillop

I'm a vet of the Battle of the Bulge, 106th Infantry.  The
guys are getting ready to go over to St. Vith to celebrate"
the "Last Hurrah" this 16th December.  Unfortunately I can
not make it for financial and health reasons. bu for any
of them that travel on the info highway, I send a warm
greeting and a wish for a good trip.
        Boris Raymond, Co. D, 424th Infantry Regiment, 106th Division

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 04:25:18 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 02-DEC-1944

On 02-DEC-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - A dyke on the lower Rhine near Arnhem is blown up by the
Germans, flooding the region southwest of Arnhem and forcing the Canadian
II Corps to withdraw from their bridgeheads over the Waal. The US 3rd Army
captures Dreisbach. This completes the capture of the 3rd Army's sector
west of the Saar. In the XX Corps sector, the 90th Division crosses the
river near Dillingen. The 95th crosses the river opposite Saarlauter, where
there is heavy house-to-house fighting. The 5th Division crosses the
western border of the Houve forest. The XII Corps crosses the Saar near
Saar-Union. In the US 7th Army sector, the 44th and 45th Divisions capture
Waldhamhach, Engwiller and Meitesheim. The US 76th Division reinforces the
French 1st Army, which is ordered to converge on the Colmar pocket from the
north and south simultaneously.

Eastern Front - The 4th Ukraine Front extends its bridgehead over the
Ondava, in Czechoslovakia. In Hungary, the 2nd Ukraine Front attacks the
German fortifications in the Miskolc area. The 3rd Ukraine Front forces the
Germans back on a wide front between the Danube and the Drava.

Philippines (Leyte) - There is a lull in the ground activity after several
days of heavy Japanese attacks. American destroyers shell the Japanese
positions at Palompon, on the west coast of Leyte, and in Ormoc Bay. Four
destroyers enter Ormoc Bay during the night and are attacked by Japanese
aircraft, destoyers and coastal artillery. One of the destroyers is sunk and
two are damaged. One Japanese destroyer is sunk.

Burma - The 11th East African Division reaches the Chindwin river at
Kalewa.

China - The Japanese occupy Tu-shan.

The Homefront
-------------
Fliers Escape From Russia - It has been disclosed in Washington that five
of the U.S. Army fliers who made the first raid on Tokyo in 1942 and then
landed in Russia, where they were interned, are back in the United States
after an "escape" from Russia. After several months of internment they were
taken to a location near the Russian-Iranian border. One day they got into
a truck and drove to Meshed, Iran and never returned.

College Football - Army 23, Navy 7; Georgia Tech 44, Georgia 0; LSU 25,
Tulane 6; Oklahoma 31, Nebraska 12; Virginia 26, North Carolina 7.

Army & Navy
-----------
Notification Of Casualties - The Army has adopted a new procedure for
notifying the next of kin of reports of casualties. Designed to eliminate
the gnawing doubts and anxieties that invariably follow its terse
telegrams; henceforth the telegrams will be followed by full, fast
follow-up reports direct from the theaters of war. If a soldier dies, his
commanding officer or chaplain will write a letter soon afterwards to his
next of kin telling, if possible, how, when and where the death occurred
and where the soldier is buried. For men who are wounded, the hospitals to
which they are assigned will send home full details of their condition and
follow them with progress reports every 15 days. To speed delivery, all of
the supplemental news will be airmailed.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "Facts On File Yearbook 1944,
Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica and "Time" magazine.

Copyright 1994 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                Cary, North Carolina                 [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 07:29:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: US Army Cuts

The Associated Press is reporting that the US Army is considering
deactivated 2 infantry divisions; the first is the HQ of the 1st
Infantry Division at Ft Riley, Kansas and then moving it to Germany.
The second division under consideration is 4th Infantry Division at
Ft Carson, Colorado.

Perhaps the Army should do what the Air Force is doing, i.e.,
redesignating existing units and giving them the name of famous WWII
outfits.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 06:51:41 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Comfort Women

Hello, Jim!

That is some post!! Thank you.

Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 06:50:17 CST
From:    Jesse Carnes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Silver Wings Pinks & Greens

Hay all ;

Got Jon McGuire's new book, "Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens" last p.m.

Grrrrrreat!

gotta get it guys!

JesseCarnes
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:05:34 EST
From:    Ken Koester <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: HELPING THE YOUN

On Wed, 23 Nov 1994 07:27:16 -0800 Patrick Charles said:
>        This morning on National Public Radio's Morning Edition, there
>was a piece on the Enola Gay Exhibit and the controversy surrounding
>it.  On four separate occasions, throughout this 3-4 minute piece, the
>story stated that it was veterans groups against peace activists AND
>academic historians/historians.  It is my understanding that there are a
>majority of historians, academic or otherwise, who believe that the
>exhibit was biased from the beginning.

Historians seem to be about equally divided on the issue, but do not
seem to consider the transgression(s)--if any--as serious a matter as
the veterans groups seem to.

ken koester
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 07:21:56 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PUB: The Luftwaffe and Air War in the Mediterranean

Hello, Tim!

Here goes with a short list of books that may be of interest.

The Rise of the Luftwaffe by Herbert Molloy Mason
The Luftwaffe War Diaries by Cajus Bekker
Horrido by Raymond Toliver and Trevor Constable
The Greatest Aces by Edward H. Sims

Hope this is of interest and assistance.

Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 07:23:46 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Tokyo Documents

Hello, Ron!

Here is a short list of books dealing with codes

The Codebreakers by Anthony Cave Brown
The Game of the Foxes by Ladislas Farago
The Secret War Report of the OSS by Anthony Cave Brown
The Ultra Secret by F. W. Winterbottom

Hope this helps.

Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:32:39 -0600
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: Another PBY Crew call (New England)

About a month or so ago, I posted an opportunity to take part as a PBY
crew member during a west coast tour happening as I type.  There was some
interest, but all from New England people.  :-)

It seems now, thanks to the ICAS convention, that the PBY may be taking 3
or four weeks bouncing around the New England area -- going to try to go
to Geneseo to pair up with their PBY and show in August, then probably to
Maryland and the third week perhaps to Toronto.

As before, crew work ain't cheap -- gotta find your way to and from the
airplane, hotel rooms are _probably_ covered, but food isn't, and crews need
to be members of the CAF (making this sound like a recruiting drive :-).  But
since this one doesn't happen until August (unlike the "next week" of the last
one :-), there is some time.

If anyone has any interest -- we're going to need people to help with tours
and other ground stuff -- and can afford a few days to three weeks, lemme
know.

--
Robert J. Granvin
Southern Minnesota Wing Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:27:33 -0600
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 50TH: HELPING THE YOUN

> >        This morning on National Public Radio's Morning Edition, there
> >was a piece on the Enola Gay Exhibit and the controversy surrounding
> >it.  On four separate occasions, throughout this 3-4 minute piece, the
> >story stated that it was veterans groups against peace activists AND
> >academic historians/historians.  It is my understanding that there are a
> >majority of historians, academic or otherwise, who believe that the
> >exhibit was biased from the beginning.
>
> Historians seem to be about equally divided on the issue, but do not
> seem to consider the transgression(s)--if any--as serious a matter as
> the veterans groups seem to.

They should.

The historian's job is to learn all the facts possible while at the same
time preserving the unbiased truth about an event.  To not take that as
seriously as the people who it directly affects is a shame -- historians
are the custodians of "past truth."  To not get worked up when those who
lived that history get worked up makes you wonder about that preservation.

History is like any other kind of research -- sometimes you discover things
you just don't like or which totally spins you completely around from what
you believe or want to believe.  But them's the breaks.

If you don't have a "passion" for your responsibility, the work done will be
mediocre at best.

--
Robert J. Granvin
Southern Minnesota Wing Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:42:21 -0600
From:    Greg Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Movie/Novel "Fatherland"

While I haven't seen the movie, I have read Mr Harris novel, and have to agree
the plot's a bit contrived, using a couple premises to built a mystery
story around (the 'secret" of the Holocaust, President Joseph Kennedy, etc).

For those of you who are interested in this type of literature, I suggest

Otto Basil THE TWILIGHT MEN (Meredith Press, 1968) a victorious Reich in
                   the 1960's dealing with the death of the Fuhrer, very
                   warped society, and a final nuclear war with Japan.

Erich Norden, THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION (Warner Books, 1973) briefly, the Reich
                   has won, and in the 1970's the Nazi-controlled New York
                   Police Dep't is trying to catch the last living Jew....

and of course Philip K. Dick's THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE

also a good collection of short stories edited by Gregory Benford & MH
Greenberg called HITLER VICTORIOUS: ELEVEN STORIES OF THE GERMAN VICTORY
IN WORLD WAR II (Garland 1986, Berkley PB 1987)  some of the stories are
chilling indeed...

                                          Glad To Be Of Service!

                                          Greg Kelley
                                          St. Paul Public Library
                                          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 09:46:24 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 12-01-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
12/01 Fri. United States Naval Operating Base, Kwajalein,
           Marshall Islands, is established.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 10:12:51 -0500
From:    "Robin E. Simmons" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Julia Child: well, maybe not...!

>
> Actually, Julia Child does not exist. The name was taken by a notorious spy
> who has tried to pass herself off as Julia's child from Lillian Hellman's
> notoriously lying memoir PENTIMENTO. The spy's real name is Kim Il-sung.
>
> Henry Sirotin
>
  I knew it!  You know, there was always something fishy about ol Julia.
Also, cajun chef Justin Wilson is in reality "Storge", the fabled Russian
spy of WWII.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 09:08:08 -0600
From:    Greg Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: war fiction and the "armed forces library"

hunt down a copy of

BOOKS IN ACTION: THE ARMED SERVICES EDITIONS

     published by the Library of Congress in 1984  (OCLC #10949129)

another title that covers the Armed Services Library is

TWO-BIT CULTURE: THE PAPERBACKING OF AMERICA

     by Kenneth C. Davis (Houghton Mifflin, 1984) OCLC #10162693

any of the good paperback price guides that have been published will list
the titles in the the Armed Services Edtions series-- Kevin Hanser's
guide springs to mind.

                                          Glad To Be Of Service!

                                          Greg Kelley
                                          St. Paul Public Library
                                          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 12:11:26 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fwd: RCAF info request [Forwarded from [email-masked]]

Forwarded message:
> Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 1994 19:24:04 EST
> Subject:      Royal Canadian Air Force
> To: Multiple recipients of list H-DIPLO <[email-masked]>

> Subject:  Royal Canadian Air Force
>
>
> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 17:41:21 -0700
> From: [email-masked]
>
> An English department ex-colleague ask me a question which I did not have the
> answer for so I thought I would throw out the "net" and see what I caught.
>
> How did the Royal Canadian Air Force come to adopt the motto "Per ardua ad
> astra"? Is there any special signigficance to this phrase for Canadadians?
> Did it have any special meaning for Britian during the Blitz? Were there any
> Canadian units involved in the Battle of Britain?
>
> Thanks for any information which I can pass on.
>
> Could I ask someone to post this to the Military History List.  Thanks.
>
> Larry Adamczyk
>
>
>
  Can any of our esteemed Canadian contributors help this man.
  The original message was posted to the Military History list.

  Jim

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 12:04:00 -0500
From:    Colin Brace <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PBY Posting

          Hi Robert,
                    I for one would like more info on your possible PBY tour
          of New England. I certainly would like to help in any way I can, I
          have a commitment the first week of August, any other time would be
          OK, so let me know. I live north of Boston, if that helps. You can
          contact me off-net, if you wish.

          Colin Brace      WA1KWA

          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 12:40:25 EST
From:    Ken Koester <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Waffen-SS

On Fri, 25 Nov 1994 18:32:11 EST Henry Sirotin said:
>Re the Waffen-SS as the first "European Army:" How about Le Grande Armee
>of 1812?

For that matter, most of the "national" armies of the late 17th-18th
centuries were international, in terms of manpower:  countries had a
difficult time training sufficient quantities of their own people &
recruited heavily from veterans/prisoners of other countries.  Some forces
would have been 75% non-citizen after several years of war.

Come to think of it, what about the Crusaders?

ken koester
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 13:02:46 EST
From:    Ken Koester <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Waffen-SS

On Mon, 28 Nov 1994 07:18:39 GMT-6 Robert T. Moore said:
>I agree with your statements about the French not being "pro-Nazi",
>but the German occupying authorities had a different attitude toward
>the French that was absent from the other countries they occupied.
>The Germans did not rule France with as heavy a hand as they did, say
>in Poland.

It would perhaps be more accurate to claim that substantial numbers of
the French were anti-Allied, rather than pro-Nazi.  A good many people
blamed the miseries of the Occupation on the perfidy of the British--
always a popular scapegoat (-:  But such feeling did not have to express
itself as active support of the Germans, after all.  Among the leadership
in Vichy and in the larger towns, things would have been a bit different.

ken koester
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 12:43:48 -0600
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Gustav Geraet

Terry-
I'd like to see what you have on the Paris gun, if Joe agrees.

Thanks in any case for your work.

Tim J. Watts
Valparaiso University

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 14:18:52 EST
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Untold Stories f/TLD, Pt. 1

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  01-Dec-1994 02:18pm EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Untold Stories f/TLD, Pt. 1

    [In the mid 1950's Cornelius Ryan, quite taken by the amazing effort of
    the great invasion, decided to write a book about D-Day.  It would be
    very different from other books, though, because he was determined to
    put in it the experiences of the more common people as well as the
    commanders.  He soon discovered that, while the idea was sound, the
    scope was beyond his single effort and he teamed up with _Reader's
    Digest_ for help in gathering the material for the book.  (This
    arrangement was repeated with the other two books.)  As a result, Ryan
    had contact with 1,144 Americans, British, Canadians, French, and
    Germans - civilians as well as veterans - mostly with questionnaires,
    but including interviews, accounts, diaries, and photographs.  The
    following are stories he did not use in the book.]

    THE GREAT DECEPTION

         "Because of the Allies' deception plan, the German high command
    expected the invasion in the Pas de Calais area and it was here that
    the strongest German divisions and armor were situated.  Since they
    thought the invasion was no more than a diversionary thrust the Germans
    did not put on alert the 7th Army which was stationed in Normandy."
                        - General Hofman, Chief of Staff, German 15th Army

         "The German people had been sold such a bill of goods by Hitler's
    propaganda that they didn't think about anything other than the bombing
    [of German cities] and they viewed the possibility of invasion with
    nothing more than passing interest.  The same thing could be said of
    the general officers who surrounded Hitler and who were in command
    across Germany."
                   - General Warlimont, Chief of Operations, German OKW

         "In April 1944, I deduced from studying reconnaissance photos of
    Britain's channel coast, that the Allies intended to launch the assult
    in a harborless area - most likely the Normandy coast.  My detailed
    report was brushed aside by the German high command as_unrealistic_
    and_highly_impossible_."
                   - Lt. Gen. Zimmerman, Operations Officer, German OKW

    AN ARMY TRAVELS ON ITS STOMACH

         "Rations were good.  We were issued composite ration packs
    containing enough food to last 14 days.  The packs contained tinned
    bacon, biscuits, margarine, jam, vegetables, steak and kidney pudding,
    plum pudding, soup, salt, sweets, matches, latrine paper, soap,
    shocolate (one bar per day) and cigarettes (7 per day).  Tea was in the
    form of tea, sugar, and milk power.  It was _Not_ very good, but more
    convenient than having the ingredients separate."
                                       - Lt. Cloudsley, British 30th Corps

         "Our Hamilcar gilder landed in a potato field.  We went back there
    at night between butsts of machine gun fire and crawled around amongst
    the srecked gliders on the DZ.  In the dark we stuffed all sorts of
    weeds into a sack hoping we were getting some nice new potatoes."
                                       - Cpl. Collins, British 6th AB Div.

         "We were not awakened early enough to get our grog issue, so we
    had it placed aboard the LCA.  When the invasion was postponed for 25
    minutes we had time to have it aboard the ship, and, consequently when
    we got into the LCA's we found our original Rum issue there.
         The high-light of the whole trip I think was that we were served
    bacon and eggs for breakfast, that is, REAL EGGS WITH SHELLS ON!"
              -Capt. Shawcross, Regina Rifles Regt., Canadian 3rd Inf. Div.

    Next (it had to be) comes the humor....

    Doug

Received:  01-Dec-1994 02:18pm

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 30 Nov 1994 to 1 Dec 1994
************************************************