Subject: WWII-L Digest - 5 Nov 1994 to 6 Nov 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 00:01:24 -0500

There are 18 messages totalling 1046 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INF: USN Chronology 11-06-94
  2. INF: 50 Years Ago - 07-NOV-1944
  3. Queen Mary
  4. [INF] USAAF 5 NOV 44
  5. [INF] USAAF 6 NOV 44
  6. [INF] USAAF 7 NOV 44
  7. WEAP: Zeke/Zero
  8. GEN: PEARL HARBOR (2)
  9. NOST: Band Performance (3)
 10. WEAP:Query: Zero name
 11. New .gifs at byrd.
 12. ARC: Accessing byrd.
 13. HYPO: "The big what-if"
 14. WEAP: P38  CBI & Other
 15. NOST: BAND PERFORMANCE

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 04:00:12 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 11-06-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
11/06 Mon. Submarine GURNARD (SS-254) lays mines off western
           Borneo.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 05:52:56 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 07-NOV-1944

On 07-NOV-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - German resistance continues at Moerdijk. In the US 1st
Army sector, the 28th Division (V Corps) is withdrawn from the bridgehead
over the river Kall after a series of fierce German counter-attacks.
Patton decides to launch the offensive on the Rhine on 8 November in spite
of the heavy rain which for the moment prevents any air support.

Italian Front - In the 8th Army sector, the V Corps attacks Forli.

Philippines (Leyte) - The X Corps begins to advance on Ormoc from the north.
In the US XXIV Corps sector, the 382nd Infantry completes the capture of
Bloody Ridge.

Burma - The Chinese 22nd Division captures Shwegu.

The Homefront
-------------
Roosevelt Re-elected To Fourth Term - President Roosevelt is re-elected to
an unprecedented fourth term. He beats Dewey by winning 36 states with 53
percent of the vote.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "Facts On File Yearbook 1944,
Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.netcom.com in directory /pub/jbd and can
be accessed via the WWW by URL: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/jbd/ww2.html. If you
have difficulty accessing the Netcom FTP server, please keep trying because it
stays very busy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis     [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 10:27:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Queen Mary

The following letter from Mr. Charles L. Baldwin of Hillsdale, New York,
appreared in the Letters On Travel section of the Sunday, November 6, 1994
issue of the NEW YORK TIMES.  Obviously, there was an article about the
Queen Mary in the October 2d issue of the TIMES but I never saw it.

"To the Editor:  When the Queen Mary was a troop carrier during World War
II she had an experience that could have changed J.M. Fenster's stroy about
her ('An Ocean Liner Berthed and Burnished,' Oct. 2) or indeed made it
unwritable.

"On one of her crossings in 1944, the Mary, as she was affectionately
known, was ferrying a full complement of United States Army Air Forces
personnel, mostly pilots, to their duties in England.  As she near the end
of her trip, sailing north through the Bay of Biscay in sparkling weather,
lookouts aboard spotted a Nazi reconnaissance plane that in turn had seen
and marked the ship as the incredibly valuable target she would be.  In
those days, the Mary sailed by herself; she was too fast to travel in
convoy.  There were no warships to protect her and not enough time for
fighter pilots from Britain to reach her before enemy bombers struck; they
would be too much for the Mary's own antiaircraft to handle.

"The ship's officers could figure how long it would take for the Germans to
arrive from their bases in France.  The Mary's men had 12 minutes before
the expected attack.  All hands, troops and crews alike, were ordered to
don life jackets and the ship's boats were made ready for lowering,
antiaircraft guns ready for firing.

"Time moved too fast, the breathing space slipped quickly down to five
minutes, four, three and then:  Yes, from a day of gin-clear bombing
weather, the Mary slid gracefully into an unexpected fog bank, the almost
impenetrable kind, which held her safe virtually all the way to her
destination.  They called it 'the luck of the Mary.'"

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 10:39:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 5 NOV 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SUNDAY, 5 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 4 B-25s abort an offensive sweep off Suribachi
on Paramushiru Island due to intense shore fire; 4 more B-25s fly armed
reconnaissance over Shimushu Island and at decklevel bomb Torishima Island
targets; of 4 fighters intercepting the B-25s, 1 is downed; 4 B-24s bomb
Onnekotan and Matsuwa Islands; 3 more B-24s bomb Katalka naval base on
Shimushu Island, starting fires; 7 fighters intercept and the B-24s down 1.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 49 P-40s, P-38s, and P-51s
attack storage facilities and other targets of opportunity around Wanling,
Burma and Mangshih, Chefang, and Kweihsien; the 22d Bombardment Squadron
(Medium), 341st Bombardment Group (Medium), based at Yangkai, sends a
detachment to operate from Yunnani with B-25s; the 426th Night Fighter
Squadron, Fourteenth AF, moves from Madhaiganj, India to Chengtu with P-61s
(detachment begin operating from Kunming during the month).

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, about 70 P-47s attack
Lashio Airfield, hit gun positions on Kyundaw Island, bomb the Kanbalu
marshalling yard, hit targets of opportunity along the Naba-Wuntho railroad
and on the Burma Road and bomb the town of Namhpakka and the Lasai area; 28
other P-47s maintain patrols S of Myitkyina; transports fly 300+ sorties
carrying men, equipment and supplies to various forward areas.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Twentieth Air Force): 53 Calcutta, India-based B-29s
bomb the Singapore naval base in Malaya putting the King George VI Graving
Dock (one of the world's best drydocks) out of operation for 3 months, and
blast other targets at the base; 7 other B-29s bomb the secondary target and
Pangkalanbrandan refinery on Sumatra while 4 more hit other target.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  AIRBORNE OPERATIONS (IX Troop Carrier Command): In France, HQ 442d Troop
Carrier Group moves from Bonnetable to St-Andre-de-L'Eure; the 91st Troop
Carrier Squadron, 439th Troop Carrier Group, moves from Lonray to
Chateaudun with C-47s; the 98th Troop Carrier Squadron, 440th Troop Carrier
Group, moves from Le Mans to Orleans with C-47s; the 303d Troop Carrier
Squadron, 442d Troop Carrier Group, moves from Peray to St-Andre-de-L'Eure
with C-47s.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 702: 1,272 bombers and 666 fighters in 3 forces attack marshalling
yards in W Germany; H2X radar is used by all forces; 12 bombers and 6
fighters are lost.
  1. 452 B-17s are dispatched to the marshalling yard at Frankfurt (396);
36 hit the marshalling yard at Hanau and 4 hit other targets; 1 B-17s is
lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 126 damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 3 WIA and
MIA. Escort is provided by 206 P-47s and P-51s; 2 P-51s are lost (pilots
MIA)
  2. 454 B-17s are dispatched to hit the marshalling yard (219) and
industrial area (177) at Ludwigshafen; targets of opportunity are the
marshalling yard at Kaiserslautern (33) and other (4); 11 B-17s are lost
and 298 damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 5 WIA and 103 MIA. Escort is provided by
192 P-47s and P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA).
  3. 333 of 366 B-24s hit the secondary target, the Karlsruhe marshalling
yard; 12 others hit Landau; 3 B-24s are damaged beyond repair and 28
damaged; 6 airmen are KIA and 8 WIA. Escort is provided by 228 P-47s and
P-51s; 2 P-47s and 1 P-51 are lost (pilots are MIA).
  Mission 703: 3 B-17s and 7 B-24s drop leaflets in France, the Netherlands
and Germany during the night without loss.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 160 B-26s and A-20s strike
ammunition, ordnance, and supply depots at Hamburg, Germany; fighters escort
the bombers, fly armed reconnaissance, attack railroads and bridges, and
cover ground forces of the V and XIX Corps; the IX Tactical Air Command aids
the US 28th Infantry Division in withstanding a counterattack near
Kommerscheidt, Germany. HQ 362d Fighter Group moves from Prosnes to
Rouvres, France. The 33d Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 363d
Tactical Reconnaissance Group, moves from Gosselies to Le Culot, Belgium
with F-5s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 500 B-24s and B-17s bomb the
Floridsdorf oil refinery at Vienna, Austria in the largest operation against
a single target during World War II; 10 other heavy bombers bomb about 20
scattered targets of opportunity and 1 alternate target, the Kapfenberg,
Austria tank works; 139 P-38s and 198 P-51s provide escort; 16 of the
fighters strafe targets of opportunity in the target area; 42 other B-24s,
with fighter escort, bomb troop concentrations at Mitrovica and Podgorica,
Yugoslavia.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers, flying
300+ sorties, bomb bridges in the Brenner Pass and in the NE Po Valley to
interdict the Germans' 2 main supply routes from the N; fighters and fighter-
bombers hit defenses and forces in the battle areas in the N Apennines S of
Bologna and attack communications targets to the N as well as in battle zone.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): B-24s from Guam Island hit shipping in the
Bonin Islands and, during an armed reconnaissance mission, bomb Marcus Island.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): 24 Mariana Islands-based B-29s bomb 2 Iwo
Jima Island airfields, starting tactical operations against the island in
preparation for the US invasion in Feb 45.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s and P-40s
attack airfields and barges in the C Philippine Islands. B-24s also hit the
town of Bima and Waingapoe Bay shipping on Soembawa Island in the Lesser
Sunda Islands.  B-25s and fighter-bombers strike airfields, troop
concentrations, and communications targets throughout the Halmahera Island
area and NE peninsula of Celebes Island. Fighter-bombers and A-20s hit Amahai
and targets of opportunity on the S coast of Ceram Island.  Almost 50 A-20s,
supporting ground forces, blast installations in Sarmi, New Guinea area. HQ
71st Tactical Reconnaissance Group arrives on Leyte Island from Biak Island.
The ground echelons of the 35th and 36th Fighter Squadrons, 8th Fighter
Group, move from Morotai Island to Dulag, Leyte Island (air echelon continues
to operate P-38s from Morotai).

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

06/1539Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 10:49:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 6 NOV 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 6 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  UC-64, Noorduyn Norseman
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): In the Kurile Islands, 4 B-25s bomb Torishima
Island, score a hit on a large building, sink two nearby barges, and probably
hit other shipping targets; about 20 fighters intercept, downing 1 B-25; the
B-25s claim 3 victories.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 16 P-40s pound the Mangshih
and Lungling areas; 15 others hit buildings and other targets of opportunity
at Wanling, Burma and around Chefang and Kweihsien; the detachment of the
21st Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, Fourteenth AF, operating from
Liuchow with F-5s, returns to base at Kunming.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): AAF, India-Burma Sector, China-
Burma-India Theater is redesignated AAF, India-Burma Theater. In Burma, 70+
P-47s, sweep airfields at Anisakan, Onbauk, Shwebo, Kin, and Kawlin; destroy
and damage bridges at Hinlong, China and Wingkang; bomb the town of Mawtaung
and marshalling yard at Kanbalu; hit boxcars at Wuntho and Meza, boats along
the Irrawaddy River from Katha to Twinnge, and attack several scattered
targets of opportunity; 28 P-47s fly combat patrols S of Myitkyina; 8 B-25s
bomb the military area at Namun and supply dump at Mansi; large-scale
transport operations continue; the 165th Liaison Squadron (Commando), 1st Air
Commando Group, moves from Tamu to Yazagyo with UC-64s and L-5s.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  AIRBORNE OPERATIONS (IX Troop Carrier Command): In France, the 92d and 94th
Troop Carrier Squadrons, 439th Troop Carrier Group, move from Lonray to
Chateaudun with C-47s; the 306th Troop Carrier Squadron, 442d Troop Carrier
Group, moves from Peray to St-Andre-de-L'Eure with C-47s.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 704: 1,131 bombers and 802
fighters in 6 forces make PFF attacks on the oil industry in W Germany; 5
bombers and 5 fighters are lost:
  1. 291 B-17s are dispatched to hit the Harburg (142) and Rhenania (138) oil
refineries at Hamburg; 3 others hit the Lubeck oil refinery at Hamburg; 4
B-17s are lost and 103 damaged; 2 airmen are KIA, 2 WIA and 36 MIA. Escort is
238 of 258 P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA) and 1 damaged beyond repair.
  2. 262 B-17s are dispatched to hit the aviation industry at Neumunster
(23); 231 hit the secondary, the Neumunster marshalling yard; 3 others hit
targets of opportunity; 10 B-17s are damaged; 1 airman is KIA. Escort is 93
of 102 P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA).
  3. 215 B-24s are dispatched to hit the Mittelland Canal at Minden; 2 others
hit targets of opportunity; 1 B-24 is lost and 31 damaged; 10 airmen are MIA.
43 of 44 P-47s escort without loss.
  4. 101 B-17s are dispatched to hit the Bottrop oil refinery; 12 others hit
the secondary, the marshalling yard at Hamm; 39 B-17s are damaged. 257 of 271
P-51s escort without loss.
  5. 143 B-24s are dispatched to hit the Sterkrade oil refinery (134); 1
other hit Vreden; 27 B-24s are damaged. 40 of 43 P-51s escort claiming 0-0-1
aircraft; 3 P-51s are lost (pilots MIA).
  6. 119 B-17s are dispatched to hit the benzol oil plant at Duisburg (65);
43 hit a target of opportunity, the marshalling yard at Rheydt; 18 B-17s are
damaged. 51 of 54 P-47s escort without loss.
  30 P-51s of the Scouting Forces patrol the area without loss.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): Weather grounds the 9th Bombardment
Division; fighters, during armed reconnaissance, attack railroads and
bridges; the IX Tactical Air Command also supports ground forces in the
Schmidt, Germany area.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Austria, 580+ fighter-
escorted B-17s and B-24s bomb the Moosbierbaum oil refinery and Vienna S
ordnance depot, alternate targets of Maribor, Yugoslavia marshalling yard,
the Kapfenberg steel works and the Deutsch Wagram and Graz marshalling
yards, and the railroad power sub station at Bolzano, Italy.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers strike
electric transformers and converters, railway bridges and railway fills on
the rail line through the Brenner Pass; fighter-bombers and fighters again
hit troops and gun positions in the battlelines S of Bologna and
communications targets N of the battle area.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): In the Bonin Islands, B-24s from Saipan Island
bomb shipping at Okimura and Higashi-minato and hit Ani Jima Island. During
the night of  6/7 Nov a snooper mission is flown over Iwo Jima Island
airfields; the dispersal areas and runways are bombed. Beginning on this date
and continuing through 24 Dec 44, B-24s on Saipan Island fly 24 missions to
lay 170 mines in several anchorages throughout the Bonin Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s strike Lahug,
Cebu Island and Fabrica, Negros Island Airfields, while fighter-bombers pound
Palompon on Leyte Island, a bridge N of Valencia on Mindanao Island, and
barges in Ormoc Bay, Leyte Island, all in the Philippine Islands. B-24s bomb
Malili on Celebes Island. The 822d Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 38th
Bombardment Group (Medium), moves from Biak Island to Morotai Island with
B-25s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

06/1549Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 10:58:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 7 NOV 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 7 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  F-7, Consolidated Liberator
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 6 B-25s bomb the railroad
yards at Yuncheng; 2 B-25s and 21 P-51s, P-40s, and P-38s hit targets of
opportunity around Wanling, Burma and Mangshih, Chefang, and Lungling; HQ
68th Composite Wing moves from Liuchow to Luliang; the air echelon of the
118th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, Fourteenth AF (attached to 23d
Fighter Group), ceases operating from Liuchow and returns to base at
Chengkung with P-51s.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 80+ P-47s hit gun
positions, supply areas, and troops at Bhamo, Pintin, and in the vicinity of
Myazedi, bomb airfields at Kawlin, Shwebo, and Onbauk, hit a fuel dump near
Panghkam road junction, attack railroad targets of opportunity between Indaw
and Shwebo, and targets of opportunity along the Irrawaddy River between
Bhamo and Katha; 28 other P-47s maintain overlapping patrols over the area S
of Myitkyina; transports fly 260+ sorties to forward areas.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): No bomber operations because of
unfavorable weather; fighters fly patrols and armed reconnaissance, attacking
railroads, gun positions and other targets; the IX Tactical Air Command
supports the US V Corps as fierce counterattacks force the US 28th Infantry
Division to retreat from the village of Kommerscheidt, Germany; the V Corps
decides to withdraw the Kall River bridgehead.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 550+ B-17s and B-24s attack
Maribor and Alipasin Most, Yugoslavia and Brunico, Italy marshalling yards;
the Floridsdorf oil refinery at Vienna, Austria; the Brenner Pass railroad
route; railroad bridges at Pinzano al Tagliamento, Casarsa della Delizia,
Mezzocorona, Ora, and Albes, Italy; and troop concentrations at Novi Pazar,
Sjenica, Prijepolje, and Mitrovica, Yugoslavia; fighters escort all
operations except the attacks on troop concentrations; in Yugoslavia, 124
P-38s strafe troop concentrations at Podgorica and roads and railroads near
Raska, between Visegrad-Prijepolje-Sjenica and from Sjenica to Novi Pazar.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): The Adjutant General officially
orders the de facto action of 19 Oct redesignating HQ XII Fighter Command to
HQ XXII Tactical Air Command. In Italy, medium bombers of the 42d Bombardment
Wing (Medium) aid the Royal Air Force's (RAF's) Desert Air Force (DAF) in
supporting the British Eighth Army's attack on Forli; the 57th Bombardment
Wing continues an interdiction campaign against railway supply lines in NE
Italy; fighter-bombers closely support US Fifth Army forces astride the Idice
River in the mountains S of Bologna and bomb communications N of the
Apennines, scoring many hits on bridges between Piacenza and Bologna.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): B-24s from Guam Island strike Iwo Jima Island
and, during an armed reconnaissance flight, bomb AA positions on Marcus
Island. P-47s strafe the airfield on Pagan Island during the early morning
and follow up with rocket and strafing runs later in the morning.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the Philippine
Islands, B-24s and fighter-bombers hit Fabrica, Alicante, and Bacolod
Airfields on Negros Island, and Opon Airfield on Cebu, Island; shipping at
various C Philippine Islands locations, and communications and supply targets
at Tambuco, Ormoc, and Palompon on Leyte Island, Valencia on Mindanao Island,
and other areas; P-38s and B-25s hit Del Monte Airfield on Mindanao Island
and targets of opportunity in Macajalar Bay on Mindanao Island, and Mandai
Airfield on Celebes Island; the 89th Bombardment Squadron (Light), 3d
Bombardment Group (Light), moves from Hollandia, New Guinea to Dulag, Leyte
Island with A-20s. On Celebes Island, B-25s hit Tanamon, Mapanget, and
Langoan. On Halmahera Island, B-25s and fighter-bombers hit Galela, Miti, and
Kaoe Airfields. In sweeps over Boeroe Island, Lesser Sunda Islands, and Ceram
Island, Moluccas Islands, small groups of B-25s and P-38s hit runways and
small shipping. B-24s bomb Raba Estate in the Sunda Islands. In New Guinea,
the 4th Photographic Charting Squadron, 311th Photographic Wing (Mapping and
Charting) (attached to Thirteenth AF), arrives at Hollandia from the US with
F-7s (the squadron will begin mapping of the SW and W Pacific in Dec 44).

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

06/1559Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 11:12:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Zeke/Zero

Dee Shneiderman writes:
 >
 >Hi, I'm new to this list so this question has probably been asked before, but
 >who and why was that Mitsubishi airplane called a "Zero?
 >
 >Reference/ Bibliographic Instruction Librarian
 >Pembroke State University
 >Pembroke NC 28372
 >[email-masked]

Starting in 1921, the Japanese Navy assigned each aircraft entering
service a designation combining a brief description of it's
function with a type number.  From 1921 to 1928, the type number
was based on the current Japanese year of reign during which the
aircraft was accepted for production.  In 1929, the system was
changed so that the type number was based on the last digits of the
Japanese calendar year.  (1929 = 2589, 1940 = 2600, etc.)  The
Japanese Army Air Force had adopted this system in 1927; the main
difference was the way in which aircraft accepted in 1940 (2600 in
the Japanese calendar) were designated.  The JAAF called them Type
100 and the JNAF called them Type 0.

Therefore, the aircraft that was commonly known as Zero was
officially designated Mitsubishi A6M, Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter.
What many people do not realize is that the Allied Code Name for
this aircraft was ZEKE not Zero.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 17:33:30 +0100
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN: PEARL HARBOR

  FOR JIM ADAMS
  November 6, 1994
  Many thanks for making available that dramatic, first hand account of December
7 written by your father.  It deserves to be shared with the largest possible
audience, and I hope other list users will help at this.  I for one am making it
available to the users of the Compuserve 50th anniversary forum.
  Jim, I realize it was quite a bit of work to retype this, but I would still
like to know more about what you found at the National Archives.  Could you give
us some samples?
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 09:42:11 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: PEARL HARBOR

>
>   FOR JIM ADAMS
>   November 6, 1994
>   Many thanks for making available that dramatic, first hand account of December
> 7 written by your father.  It deserves to be shared with the largest possible
> audience, and I hope other list users will help at this.  I for one am making it
> available to the users of the Compuserve 50th anniversary forum.

John - I've captured it and put it out in my 50 YA archives. It was a
terrific first hand account.

John Davis

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 10:10:17 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: NOST: Band Performance

I want to share something with the list that made a deep impression on me
as well as about 5,000 other people last night. My daughter is in her
High School band. If any of you have kids in marching bands, you know
that a big part of being in such a band in participating in band
competitions. Well our daughter's band took part yesterday in a
competition in Cary, N.C. (where we live). Her band came in 5th but what
I wanted to tell you about was the performance of one of the other bands.
It was the performance of a band from Lynchburg, Va. - Heritage H.S.
Their program was based upon WW II.

Their performance was very unusual in that instead of trying to
"glamorize" the era with popular music, etc. they presented a very moving
depiction of the war. They used some music from Holsts "The Planets" (the
Mars theme), as well as some big band music and ended up with the
National Anthem. The program began with the Mars theme and they used Nazi
flags to show the spread of the Nazi regime. Then they had a part which
had some kids dressed in period outfits dancing to Glenn Miller's "In The
Mood". The music stopped abruptly, and an announcer came on and told
about the attack on Pearl Harbor and told all service men to return to
their units. The couples broke apart and went their separate ways.

Some more music then was presented that was supposed to depict the ebb and
flow of the war itself and they had large tabloids displayed on the field
giving info on the major battles (the dates were all correct by the way as
was the shapes of the islands, etc.). They then ended with some more big
band music, with the service men coming home and being reunited with their
girl friends waiting back home. All of a sudden you realized something was
wrong because there was one single lone girl in the middle of the field.
You then saw a service man come towards her with a folded flag in his
arms. You then knew what had happened. Her boy friend wouldn't be coming
home. The flag girls then picked up a tremendous flag that was at least 40
feet wide and ran the width of the football field. It was a reproduction
of the NY Times headline announcing the surrender of Japan. The band then
very solemnly played the Star Spangled Banner.

I must tell you, when they ended you could have heard a pin drop in the
stadium. Then everyone went crazy. The lady next to me broke down
crying. She said her father had fought in the war and never got over it.
Even all the HS kids were effected. It was one very moving experience and
I felt great that a HS band felt strong enough about the war to want to
do a program based upon it.

I don't know if they won the competition, we had to leave before the
awards were given out, but I am sure they did. I just wanted to share
this with the list, as last night alot of people in central North
Carolina really had an opportunity to dweal on the war and to show their
appreciation to those who fought and died in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis     [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 12:00:05 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: Band Performance

John, a great story for veteran's day week!

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
Cultural Resource Manager
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS       (808) 422-2771  extension 130
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 23:03:50 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP:Query: Zero name

On Fri, 4 Nov 1994, Henry Sirotin wrote:

> If I can anticipate the next question, if two planes of the same type
> entered service the same year, how did they tell them apart? Both the
> Army and the Navy had separate identification systems independent of
> the year system.

That is only part of the answer. The year-linked designator was not just
a type number, it also had a designator. To distinguish aircraft with
a similar role entering service in the same year, they just changed the
names a bit. For example, there was a Naval Type 0 *reconaissance*
floatplane (Aichi E13A 'Jake') and a Naval Type 0 *Observation* Seaplane
(Mitsubishi F1M 'Pete') as well as a Naval Type 0 *Small Reconaissance*
seaplane (Yokosuka E14Y 'Glenn').

> The Army numbered all its aircraft sequentially in
> a Ki- series which reached about Ki-102, I believe.

Not *all* its aircraft --- they made an exception for aircraft not
designed to Army requirements, and gliders.  The highest numbers were
Ki.117, Ki.200 and Ki.230.

> designations were unified in the 1970s. Here, the Type 00 Carrier-
> based Fighter (a formal designation) was the A6M; the sixth navy
> fighter design (A) accepted by the Imperial Navy from Mitsubishi (M).

Not the sixth aircraft from Mitsubishi; but an aircraft designed to the
sixth requirement for a fighter. For example, the fighters of the IJN
Navy were the A1N, A2N, A3N, A4N, A5M, A6M, and A7M --- the first four
built by Nakajima, the latter three by Mitsubishi.

> Subtypes would be the A6M-1, -2, etc. Among the codes used here,
> in addition to A, were B for torpedo bomber, C for carrier based
> scout, D for dive bomber, E for flying boats and float planes,
> and G for multiengine bombers.

A      Carrier-borne fighter
B      Carrier-borne (Torpedo) bomber
C      Reconaissance, wheeled undercarriage
D      Carrier-borne Dive bomber
E      Reconaissance seaplane
F      Observation seaplane
G      Land-based bomber
H      Flying boat
J      Land-based fighter
K      Trainer
L      Transport
M      Special seaplane
MX     Special purpose
N      Fighter seaplane
P      Bomber
Q      Patrol
R      Land-based reconaissance
S      Night fighter

> Manufacturers codes are too many to
> list, but among the common ones in addition to Mitsubishi/M were
> Nakajima/N, Kawanishi/K, and Aichi/A.

I already had a list. It is actually shorter than the other one:

A      Aichi
D      Showa
K      Kawanishi
M      Mitsubishi
N      Nakajima
P      Nihon
V      Seversky
W      Watanabe
W      Kyushu
Y      Yokosuka (Naval Arsenal)

Emmanuel Gustin.

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 17:11:23 EST
From:    "Larry W. Jewell" <[email-masked]>
Subject: New .gifs at byrd.

We have a new directory at byrd.mu.wvnet.edu,
/pub/history/military/new.pictures
which will hold new uploads of .gifs for one month.  The files will then
be moved to directories according to the topic of the picture.

The list appended is the current contents of the new directory, and the
index will be updated to show additions and moved files will be deleted.
A separate posting will give directions for accessing byrd.

BTW, see end of file for my new e-mail address.

Name          Size   Date    Description
3_iron.gif    121232 Nov  6  Three ironclads off Cairo, Ill., 1863. L to
                             R: BARON DE KALB, CINCINNATI, and MOUND
                             CITY.  NH 5663
ac-119_1.gif  225451 Nov  6  AC-119 gunship over Tan Son Nhut, 1969.
ac-130_1.gif  120825 Nov  6  An AC-130 gunship at Nha Trang AB.
ac-47_1.gif   182146 Nov  6  Interior shot of an AC-47 showing mini-
                             guns.
antous.gif    172911 Nov  2  An armored track with six 105-mm. recoil-
                             less rifles externally mounted.
army_1.gif    167426 Nov  6  "Elements of the U.S. Army's Ist Infantry
                             Division arrive at Vung Tau Bay on 13 July
                             1965 as part of the buildup of U.S. Forces
                             in Vietnam."
b52_1.gif     176453 Nov  6  A "buff" delivering a load of iron bombs.
bb05.gif      118359 Nov  2  USS KEARSARGE, BB-5. NR$L(OLD) 11409
bb06.gif      117102 Nov  6  USS KENTUCKY, BB-6. NH 61959
bb15.gif       89731 Nov  6  USS GEORGIA, BB-15. NH 73911
bb21.gif       86934 Nov  2  USS KANSAS, BB-21. HR&L(OLD) 6595
bb30.gif       94822 Nov  6  USS FLORIDA, BB-30. NH 54174
bb39.gif       66902 Nov  6  USS ARIZONA, BB-39, c. 1917. NH 95244
bb64.gif      137699 Nov  6  USS MINNESOTA, BB-64, 11 NOV 44, at Pearl
                             Harbor, alongside USS OKLAHOMA, BB-37 (the
                             "Okie" is being prepared for return to
                             CONUS.)
bradley.gif   377882 Nov  6  General Omar Bradley.
ch-3e.gif     180849 Nov  6  "A CH-3E helicopter airlifts troops on a
                             mission against enemy forces, June '68."
constitu.gif   84469 Nov  6  Frigate CONSTITUION, 18 Aug 1914, shown
                             after 1907 rebuild.  Cruiser CHESTER in
                             the background.  NH 55907
cv02.gif       85530 Nov  6  USS LEXINGTON, CV-2, 31 May 34, with a
                             deckload of biplanes and showing that
                             distinctive profile clearly. NARA 80-G-
                             415861
cvs40.gif      96963 Nov  6  USS TARAWA, CVS-40, 13 Aug 58, unmodified
                             ESSEX-class profile.  NARA 80-G-1046503
dog_1.gif     303361 Nov  6  AC1 David B. Shark and his sentry dog
                             stand guard at Cam Ranh AB, South Vietnam,
                             1970.
eisenhow.gif  381724 Nov  6  General Dwight David Eisenhower.
enterpri.gif  160424 Nov  6  Schooner ENTERPRISE, c. 1812, shown in
                             brigantine rig.  NH 91722
f-105_1.gif   228747 Nov  6  Four F-105 "Thuds" in formation over
                             Thailand.
gunsight.gif   99414 Nov  6  Gunsight footage of MiG-17 taken from a
                             F-105 "Thud", 3 Jun 67.
halleck.gif3   40419 Nov  6  General Henry W. Halleck
indy.gif      157542 Nov  6  The razee INDEPENDENCE (a 'razee' is a
                             ship with one the upper gun-deck removed,
                             which in this case made an excellent
                             frigate out of a hog of a '74.)
iwo_jima.gif  213512 Nov  2  Flag raising on Mount Suribachi.
kv1.gif       191985 Nov  2  Ugly Soviet heavy tank.
lvt-a1.gif    198467 Nov  6  Amphibious tracked landing craft (this
                             model has a tank turret mounted.)
m3a3.gif      228663 Nov  6  The ubiquitous Sherman tank.
m_row.gif     155894 Nov  6  "Murders' Row", Ulithi Atoll, four Cvs
                             at anchor.
macarthur.gif 397316 Nov  3  General Douglas MacArthur.
marshall.gif  337125 Nov  6  General George Marshall.
mcclella.gif  344388 Nov  6  General George B. McClellan.
minnesot.gif  107832 Nov  6  USS MINNESOTA, screw frigate, post ACW.
new-10.gif    116121 Nov  6  Duplicate, delete.
price.gif     113384 Nov  6  GENERAL STERLING PRICE, ACW paddle-wheeler.
ridgway.gif   325823 Nov  6  General Matthew Ridgway.
sabine.gif     73063 Nov  6  Frigate SABINE, c. 1869. NH 91722
sheridan.gif  395599 Nov  6  General Philip H. Sheridan.
sherman.gif   246568 Nov  6  General William T. Sherman.
t35.gif       138903 Nov  6  Another ugly Sov. tank.  This one had
                             five turrets!
take.gif      293447 Nov  6  "Take her down!"  Last command of a heroic
                             submarine skipper.
us_grant.gif  278187 Nov  6  General Ulysses S. Grant
vermont.gif   158917 Nov  6  Ship-of-the-line VERMONT, shown after ACW
                             in New York.  Note Dahlgren boat gun in
                             foreground.
w_scott.gif   357460 Nov  6  General Winfield Scott.
westmore.gif  276714 Nov  6  General William C. Westmoreland.

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 17:13:42 EST
From:    "Larry W. Jewell" <[email-masked]>
Subject: ARC: Accessing byrd.

(my new addres is on this file, not the index listing.)
How to access byrd.mu.wvnet.edu via WWW or gopher.

Web clients may access this site at:
   http://history.cc.ukans.edu/history/WWW_history_main.html

Below is the path I use to access byrd via the gopher at Purdue U.

Academic Resources on the Internet (by Subject)/
Academic Resources on the Internet (by Subject)
Humanities / Social Sciences Reading Room/
History Network <TEL>
Login: history
Resources: Historical Data Bases
BYRD: Historical Archives (ftp byrd.mu.mvnet.edu) (US)

FTP vistors should go to /pub/history

Larry J

[email-masked]; Co-Mod.: BYRD.MU.WVNET.EDU (Historical docs)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly
unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life."
Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 23:31:21 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HYPO: "The big what-if"

On Sat, 5 Nov 1994, Edward S. Miller wrote:

> as quite amazed at the American achievement.  As to Heisenberg's motives, we
> are left with the ultimate uncertainty principle.
>   A re-reading of Richard Rhodes's =The Making of the Atomic Bomb= shows
> that American and emigre scientists made some similarly pessimistic
> estimates early in the US program.  However, in this country, no scientist
> had the dominant stature of Heisenberg.  The correct estimates soon appeared
> and the Manhattan project got rolling about the time the Germans gave up.

The problem was not the 'dominant stature' of Heisenberg. In fact,
Heisenberg had to fight for his position and career, as had many
theoretical physicists, when he was attacked by the defenders of 'Aryan
Physics' for his 'Jewish theories'. As many things under the Nazi regime,
this had nothing to do with logic. Theoretical physics, a branch of
science traditionally very strong in Germany, was attacked because the
main defenders of Aryan Physics, Lenard and Stark, were experimental
physicists -- and because they disliked Einstein, Jewish and a
theoretician. So theoretical abstraction, viewed by many outside Germany
as a typically German approach, was suddenly dismissed as 'Jewish
thinking'!

This did much to ruin the fabric of German physics, already weakened by
the expelling of Jewish scientists --- which had made up nearly a quarter
of the total physical community. In many places, important posts were left
open or totally incompetent people put in charge. The problems this
created were clear enough, but because of the political competition
between Hess, Rosenberg, Goering, Himmler and Rust (responsible for
education) they were never adressed.  The troubles continued until 1942 or
1943, when Goering and Goebbels began to understand that Germany was
losing the scientific war. Aryan physics was then quickly dismissed.

The problems in making the bomb were compounded because of the weakness
of experimental physics in Germany. There was one cyclytron in Germany;
there were 30 in the US. Good theoretical work used to compensate for
this weakness; during the war years it couldn't.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 22:32:02 GMT+1
From:    SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: P38  CBI & Other

"Steve L. New" <[email-masked]> writes:

>      Arnaud,
 [stuff deleted...]

>         3.  The AAF overall did have a positive win/loss ratio against all
>      adversaries in WWII.  It's possible that the good luck was spread out
>      fairly evenly.
>
>         4.  There was a war on, and you certainly don't want the folks back
>      home to think your losing, do you?  I don't have the name at the tip
>      of my tongue, but didn't an AAF B-17 pilot get a posthumous CMH for
>      sinking a Japanese "Battleship" off the Phillipines in 1941 when in
>      fact he had attacked an American submarine which simply dove to escape
>      the bombs?  Every army has got to have some heros, even if they make
>      them up themselves.
>
>      Please Note:  This is not meant as an attack on the honesty or courage
>      of our pilots in WWII.  The statements in 1-3 above are accurate, our
>      fliers fought bravely, and did outfight their oponents.  On the other
>      hand, POLITICS has always played a hand in how war news is reported to
>      the public back home.

Steve,
I was not speaking specifically of the USAAF, but of all Air Forces
as a whole. I'd have a bent for this explanation. And I have not read
that the USAF had a positive kill ratio in Europe, but on the contrary that
the losses were fairly even up to 1944. In 1945 the kill ratio suddenly
became 3.6/1 IN FAVOUR OF THE GERMANS, due to several factors.
Therefore there should be US squadrons with very bad as well as excellent
ratios. It seems to me that you are perfectly right in saying that politics
changed bad ratios into favourable ones.
What I am amazed at is finding those distorted ratios reproduced without
comments in serious books and unit histories. This does look like a lack of
honesty on the part of the units of all sides, not of the poor and brave
individual pilots.

Arnaud.

"Le Grand Cirque est parti.
Le public a ete satisfait. Le programme etait assez charge, les acteurs pas
trop mauvais, et les lions ont devore le dompteur...La pluie et l'oubli en
effaceront vite les traces."
-- P. Clostermann, 602 Squadron.

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 17:15:53 -0800
From:    Jaimie Crafton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: Band Performance

John,

I'm a relatively new ready to the group, but have particularly enjoyed
your contributions.  I'm originally from that neck of the woods
(southside Va) and can say that, while the band performance you speek of
is certainly exceptional, it is also not surprising.  I grew up in a
small Va town and went to a private academy.  There were only 40
students in my high school graduating class and half of which I start
kindergarden with.  For "poor dumb rednecks" we dazzeled the Va
Conference in all forms of competition.  I personally participated in
numerous forensic debates - winning serveral titles.

Anyway, not to go too far astray, I think much of this country could
benefit from watching many a "small town USA" happenings to realize
that, that is truly where things that matter in life are... family,
church, school, friends, and a true appreciation of our heritage.
Don't exploit; learn, understand, and enjoy!!
Sorry for the soap box rhetoric.

Regards,

Jaimie Crafton

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 6 Nov 1994 22:22:19 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: NOST: BAND PERFORMANCE

Absolutely great, John. What a moving experience that must have been. I wonder
how many WWII veterans were in the audience. If they are like me vis a vis WWII
memories and reactions, they must have become quite emotional, and good for
that WVA band recognizing the importance of commemorating WWII and saluting its
living and dead veterans. Ben Frank

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 5 Nov 1994 to 6 Nov 1994
***********************************************