Subject: WWII-L Digest - 11 Nov 1994 to 12 Nov 1994

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 00:01:00 -0500

There are 26 messages totalling 1597 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. MEDIA: PBS PROGRAM ON BULGE (2)
  2. REMEMBERANCES ON VETER
  3. INF: USN Chronology 11-12-94
  4. INF: 50 Years Ago - 13-NOV-1944
  5. WEAP: CV-2 Lexington
  6. Halsey (5)
  7. Homefront: US: Camp Ellis, Illinois, pt. 3
  8. WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 2)
  9. WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 2, continued)
 10. CV Bitmaps
 11. Rokossovsky
 12. TACT: HALSEY (2)
 13. Cannibalism in other theaters
 14. [INF] USAAF 11 NOV 44
 15. [INF] USAAF 12 NOV 44
 16. [INF] USAAF 13 NOV 44
 17. [INF] USAAF 14 NOV 44
 18. HALSEY (3)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 07:27:24 +0100
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA: PBS PROGRAM ON BULGE

  November 12, 1994
  After seeing the messages on the PBS program on the Battle of the Bulge, I am
wondering if anyone recorded it.
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 02:08:07 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: REMEMBERANCES ON VETER

 Thank you, David. I, too, raised the flag this morning, and at about 1100, I
also remembered. Our dead comrades will always remain young in our memories.
Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 04:00:16 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 11-12-94

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1944
11/12 Sun. German battleship TIRPITZ is sunk by British aircraft
           in Tromso Fjord, Norway.
            United States naval vessels damaged, Leyte area, P.
             I.:
             Repair ship EGERIA (ARL-8) and ACHILLES (ARL-41),
              by suicide planes,
              11 d. 11'N., 125 d. 05'E.
            Japanese naval vessels sunk:
             Submarine I-37, by destroyer NICHOLAS (DD-449),
              south of Yap Island,
              08 d. 04'N., 138 d. 03'E.
             Transport NO. 139, by carrier-based aircraft,
              Manila Bay P. I.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: Larry Jewell <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 04:51:46 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 13-NOV-1944

On 13-NOV-1944, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The bridge at Cattenom over the Moselle is completed and in
full use by the 90th Division (US II Corps, 3rd Army). On the II Corps'
southern flank, the 59th Division advances towards Metz. In the US XII
Corps sector, units of the 60th Armoured Division, assisted by the 317th
Regiment of the 80th Division, advance towards Falquemont. Further south,
the 4th Armoured Division, supported by the 35th Division, heads for
Morhange. In the 7th Army sector, the XV Corps opens its offensive towards
Sarrebourg with two divisions, the 44th and 79th. The Germans prepare to
withdraw from St Die because of pressure from the 7th Army.

Eastern Front - The German garrison evacuates Skopje in southern Yugoslavia.

Italian Front - The 8th Indian Division (British XII Corps) captures Monte
San Bartolo. Units of the British 46th Division capture Varano.

Philippines (Leyte) - The 21st Infantry (24th Division), makes some
progress in the Breakneck Ridge area. Rear-Admiral Sherman's carriers once
again attack shipping and targets in the area of Manila and the central
strip of Luzon. The Japanese light cruiser Kiso and destroyers Akebono,
Akishimo, Hatsuharu and Okinami are sunk.

Burma - The 5th Indian Division and 11th East African Division make contact
with each other at Kalemyo, east of Tiddim.

The Homefront
-------------
Best Selling Books - "Forever Amber" by Kathleen Winsor, "Green Dolphin
Street" by Elizabeth Goudge, "The Razor's Edge" by W. Somerset Maugham,
"The Robe" by Lloyd C. Douglas and "Immortal Wife" by Irving Stone.

=============================================================================

Sources: "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi, "The
World Almanac Book Of WW II" by Peter Young, "Facts On File Yearbook 1944,
Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L. Lapica.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.netcom.com in directory /pub/jbd and can
be accessed via the WWW by URL: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/jbd/ww2.html. If you
have difficulty accessing the Netcom FTP server, please keep trying because it
stays very busy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis     [email-masked]
Cary, N.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 08:50:38 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: CV-2 Lexington

From: DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN NAVAL FIGHTING SHIPS, James L.
Mooney, ed., Naval Historical Center, Department of the Navy,
Washington, DC., 1969

LEXINGTON (CV-2)

dp. 41,000;
l. 888';
b. 105' 6"
d. 32';
s. 34.25 k.;
cpl. 2,122;
a. 8 8", 12 5", 81 ac.
class. LEXINGTON

The fourth LEXINGTON (CV-2) was originally designated CC-1; laid
down as a battle cruiser 8 January 1921 by Fore River
Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass.; authorized to be completed as
an aircraft carrier 1 July 1922; launched 3 October 1925;
sponsored by Mrs. Theodore Douglas Robinson, wife of the
Assistant Secretary of the Navy; and commissioned 14 December
1927, Capt. Albert W. Marshall in command.

After fitting out and shakedown, LEXINGTON joined the battle
fleet at San Pedro, Calif., 7 April 1928. Based there, she
operated on the west coast with Aircraft Squadrons, Battle
Fleet, in flight training, tactical exercises, and battle
problems. Each year she participated in fleet  maneuvers in the
Hawaiians, in the Caribbean, off the Panama Canal Zone, and in
the eastern Pacific. In the fall of 1941 she sailed with the
battle force to the Hawaiians for  tactical exercises.

On 7 December 1941 LEXINGTON was at sea with TF 12 carrying
marine aircraft from Pearl Harbor to reinforce Midway when word
of the Japanese attack on Pearl  Harbor was received. She
immediately launched searchplanes to hunt for the Japanese
fleet, and at midmorning headed south to rendezvous with
INDIANAPOLIS and ENTERPRISE task forces to conduct a search
southwest of Oahu until returning Pearl Harbor 18 December.

LEXINGTON sailed next day to raid Japanese forces on Jaluit to
relieve pressure on Wake; these orders were canceled 20
December, and she was directed to cover the SARATOGA for in
reinforcing Wake. When the island fell 23 December, the two
carrier forces were recalled to Pearl Harbor, arriving 27
December.

LEXINGTON patrolled to block enemy raids In the Oahu-Johnston-
Palmyra triangle until 11 January 1942, when she sailed from
Pearl Harbor as flagship for Vice Adm. Wilson Brown commanding
TF 11. On 16 February, the force headed for an attack on Rabaul,
New Britain, scheduled for 21 February; while approaching the
day previous, LEXINGTON was attacked by two waves of enemy
aircraft, nine planes to a wave. The carrier's own  combat air
patrol and antiaircraft fire splashed 17 of the attackers.
During a single sortie Lt. E. H (Butch) O'Hare won the Medal of
Honor by downing five planes.

Her offensive patrols in the Coral Sea continued until 6 March,
when she rendezvoused with YORKTOWN's TF 17 for a thoroughly
successful surprise attack flown over the Owen Stanley mountains
of New Guinea to inflict heavy damage on shipping and
installations at Salamaua and Lae 10 March. She now returned to
Pearl Harbor, arriving 26 March.

LEXINGTON's task force sortied from Pearl Harbor 15 April,
rejoining TF 17 on 1 May. As Japanese fleet  concentrations
threatening the Coral Sea were observed, LEXINGTON and YORKTOWN
moved into the sea to search for the enemy's force covering a
projected troop movement; the Japanese must now be blocked in
their southward expansion, or sea communication with Australia
and New Zealand would be cut, and the dominions threatened with
invasion.

On 7 May searchplanes reported contact with an enemy carrier
task force, and LEXINGTON's air group flew an eminently
successful mission against it, sinking light  carrier SHOHO.
Later that day, 12 bombers and 15 torpedo planes from still-
unlocated heavy carriers SHOKAKU and ZUIKAKU were intercepted by
fighter groups from  LEXINGTON and YORKTOWN, who splashed nine
enemy aircraft.

On the morning of the 8th, a LEXINGTON plane located SHOKAKU
group; a strike was immediately launched from the American
carriers, and the Japanese ship heavily damaged.

The enemy penetrated to the American carriers at 1100, and 20
minutes later LEXINGTON was struck by a torpedo to port. Seconds
later, a second torpedo hit to port directly abreast the bridge.
At the same time, she took three bomb hits from enemy dive
bombers, producing a 7 degree list to port and several raging
fires. By 1300 her skilled  damage control parties had brought
the fires under control and returned the ship to even keel;
making 25 knots, she was ready to recover her air group. Then
suddenly  LEXINGTON was shaken by a tremendous explosion, caused
by the ignition of gasoline vapors below, and again fire raged
out of control. At 1558 Capt. Frederick C. Sherman,  fearing for
the safety of men working below, secured salvage operations, and
ordered all hands to the flight deck. At 1707, he ordered,
"abandon ship!", and the orderly  disembarkation began, men
going over the side into the warm water, almost immediately to
be picked up by nearby cruisers and destroyers. Admiral Fitch
and his staff  transferred to cruiser Minneapolis; Captain
Sherman and his executive officer, Comdr. M. T. Seligman insured
all their men were safe, then were the last to leave their ship.

LEXINGTON blazed on, flames shooting hundreds of feet into the
air, Destroyer PHELPS closed to 1500 yards and fired two
torpedoes into her hull; with one last heavy  explosion, the
gallant LEXINGTON sank at 1956, in 15 d. 20'S., 155 d. 30'E. She
was part of the price that was paid to halt the Japanese
overseas empire and safeguard Australia and New Zealand, but
perhaps an equally great  contribution had been her pioneer role
in developing the naval aviators and the techniques which played
so vital a role in ultimate victory in the Pacific.

LEXINGTON received two battle stars for World War II service.

Transcribed and edited by:
Larry W. Jewell
[email-masked]

Steve L. New

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 09:24:38 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Halsey

     > he was, "Turkey trots to water, all the world wants to know where is
     > TF 38," caused Halsey to throw his hat to the deck and begin cursing
     > mightily. He felt he was being second-guessed from Nimitz'
     > headquarters. This is an interesting study in personalities,
     > misinterpretation of orders, and a split command.

     >Ben Frank

     Ben,

     The way I read about it, the message above was mis-delivered to Halsey
     due to a mistaken decoding operation.

     At the time, Naval messages were encoded with nonsense phrases added
     to the beginning and end to make it more difficult for the Japanese to
     decode them.  These phrases were to be stripped off by the
     intelligence/radio officer decoding toe message.

     In the case of the Nimitz message, it intended to be sent out as:

     Nonsense Phrase:
     Turkey trots to water

     Message:
     Where is Task Force 38

     Nonsense Phrase:
     The world wonders?

     Because of the coherency of the message and the trailing phrase, the
     decoding officer wasn't sure that it was meant as nonsense, and
     decided to leave it in.  This meant that the message that Halsey
     received from Nimitz actually read "Where is task force 38. The world
     wonders?"

     This obviously (though unintended) snide message form his CO, while
     the CVEs of Taffy 1-3 were screaming for help, obviously put a lot of
     pressure on Halsey, so that he turned away from the "bait" carriers
     and went back to take out Adm. Kurita's fleet.

     That he was able to do so, and then return to destroy the "bait", just
     shows up the overwhelming power of the US Navy at that point in the
     war.

     So here is Halsey, success on all sides, with the majority of the
     IJN's remaining heavy ships sunk.  I don't see how anyone could have
     been thinking about relieving the Admiral at that point.

     Now, after all the verbiage, comes my question.  Was the story that I
     learned about the decoding process on Admiral Nimitz's message just a
     fable.  Your earlier post seems to say that it was Adm. Nimitz's
     intention to say "The world wonders".

     Thanks

     Steve New

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 08:30:29 -600
From:    Lowell Rick Cox <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Homefront: US: Camp Ellis, Illinois, pt. 3

 During the floods of 1943,
>Ellis engineers plugged levees at Harrisonville, Beardstown, Valmeyer, and
>Waterloo.  Two soldiers were decorated for heroism.  In 1944, five
>thousand Ellis men patrolled three hundred miles of levees along the
>Mississippi River in southern Illinois and defended Quincy's power plant
>from flooding.

I am fascinated with the way history repeats itself.  I was in Valmeyer and
Waterloo with the Illinois National Guard during the 1993 flood.  Talk about
devastation.  I am amazed by the tenacity of the residents in these towns.
They have been flooded many times but they perservere.  Although I've
heard that after the 1993 flood the town of Valmeyer is being relocated on
higher ground.  One thing I'm sure of, is that the residents of these towns
treated the soldiers of Camp Ellis wonderfully, just like they treated us.

Many thanks for the historical reference that ties in nicely with a fond
personal memory.

Rick Cox     [email-masked]
Ameritech National Customer Service Center
Hoffman Estates, IL  USA

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 09:40:40 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 2)

     Wings Magazine
     4 August 1978

     "The P-38 Lightning in the Pacific, the Aleutians, China-Burma-India
     By, Warren M. Bodie

     THE RAND McNALLY ROADMAP WAR (P-38s in Alaska)

        If Gen Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr., had been the Hawaiian Defense
     Commander at Pearl Harbor on that morning of December 7, 1941, the
     outcome of the Japanese attack would, without a doubt, have been
     significantly different. Gen. Buckner was unlike Gen.  Short (and
     Fleet Adm. Kimmell) in that he was totally of the opinion that the
     Japanese would ultimately attack the United States territories and
     he was doing everything in his power to prepare to counter such an
     attack. The only flaw in that situation was that Buckner was in
     command of the minuscule Alaskan Defense Command.
        Simon Buckner was not the sort of soldier who was easily put down
     by the opposition. And, in what was unusual for an Army "ground
     pounder" in the 1940-41 era, he sensed that air power was crucial to
     the defense mechanism of his entire command. The general had three
     major antagonists to contend with in those days: the U.S. Navy, the
     weather and Japan - probably in that relative order. Inter-service
     rivalry was so deeply ingrained in officers intent on furthering
     their carreers in those pre-war days that the real adversary was
     often forgotten.
        Alaska's top Army officer had two or three major allies to combat
     these "enemies." They were shrewdness, the weather (?) and civilian
     construction teams. The Navy was constantly lobbying to outlaw
     Buckner's determination to fly long-range reconnaissance missions
     over Alaska's outer waters, and they blocked every effort on his part
     to build a string of airfields beyond his mainland command in the
     virtually uncharted and unpopulated chain of Aleutian Islands. After
     all, the Navy contended, their base at Dutch Harbor was the center
     of their defensive hub and their Sitka-based patrol bombers were
     capable of patrolling the ocean expanse and bombing any enemy.  Those
     patrol "bombers" they aluded to were a pitiful handful of
     Consolidated PBY-2 flying boats, not based in Alaska at all but on
     detached service from Seattle. With a top speed of 156 mph (against
     roughly 250 to 290 for Buckner's early-series B-l7s and LB-30 /
     B-24Ds) and an insignificant bomb load, the flying boats were hardly
     ideal for Alaskan defense. Of course there was the "might" of the
     U.S. Navy's Northern Pacific Fleet to be considered too. As late as
     the Spring of 1941, that "fleet" consisted of one new gunboat (the
     "Charleston", flagship of the Navy officer in charge) and three
     commercial fishing boats painted gray! They were, incidentally,
     called "Vippee" boats - no relation to the then current YP-38s - and
     they had become patrol boats (YPs) upon application of the paint.
     That was the Alaska sector navy in 1940-41, under command of Captain
     Ralph C. Parker, who happened to be a supporter of Gen. Buckner.
        The Army commander's ally, shrewdness (read that as deceit) was to
     manifest itself, happily for all of us, in the willful diversion of
     funds from Alaskan mainland projects to the building of Army
     airfields in the Aleutians. Going so far as to set up phoney fish
     canning companies, Buckner had "civilian" construction crews start to
     build the military installation (Fort Randall) at Cold Bay, located
     at the western extremity of the Aleutian Peninsula. That was in
     August, 1941. A bit later, he began work with another illegitimate
     spinoff company to start construction of an airstrip on Umnak Island,
     a desolate spot with a total population of 50. Ten days before the
     Pearl Harbor debacle, authorization suddenly came through from
     Washington for Buckner to build air bases at Cold Bay and Umnak
     Island! The former location became the military Fort Randall, while
     the latter base became Fort Glenn. Somewhat amazingly, Gen. H.H.
     Arnold's new Army Air Forces was totally unprepared to supply the
     defensive fighters and bombers to man those bases before December 7,
     so it was an empty gesture and a hollow victory for Buckner.
        Tundra. The only viable location for an airstrip on Umnak that
     would be worthwhile for the defense of Dutch Harbor was a barren
     treeless place called Otter Point. Exposed to the elements, it was
     composed of marshy tundra, incapable of supporting an aircraft, let
     alone a squadron. Col. Ben Talley and his 807th Engineer Corps solved
     the problem with one of Gen. Hap Arnold's pet devices that had proven
     to be so useful in the war games "Battle of the Carolinas" just a
     couple of months earlier - the Marston mats.  These perforated steel
     planks with interlocking edges could support a fleet of B-24s.
     Buckner ordered 70 acres of Marston planks for the 300,000-square
     foot strip and hardstands at Otter Point (and other contemplated base
     construction).
        On March 31, 7942. the Douglas C-53 (DC-3) transport of B/Gen.
     William 0. Butler, the new commanding general of the Eleventh Air
     Force, became the first airplane to touch down at Fort Glenn, Umnak
     Island. Buckner had put the Alaska Defense Command on War Alert as of
     December 1, 1941, but no aircraft were dispatched to man the new
     base, the one at Fort Randall or Elmendorf AAB until war became a
     reality.
        As of Dec. 7, the general had 22,000 Army troops in Alaska.
     Meanwhile, the Navy, which had literally fought Buckner because
     they considered the defense perimeter to be their bailiwick, had
     manned Dutch Harbor - their major installation - with 67 men!
     They had another 300 at nearby Kodiak and 180 way off at Sitka.
     Total naval airpower was vested in a "fleet" of six Consolidated
     PBY Catalinas and the Alaskan Navy had also acquired no less than
     six World War I four-stack destroyers.
        In the days immediately following the murderous attack on Oahu,
     Gen. Arnold sent some P-38s directly from Lockheed to Fairbanks and
     Anchorage. It is believed that they consisted mainly of P-38Ds,
     which were not considered to be fully combat worthy, and perhaps some
     P-38Es, but they were all he had. It is important to recall that the
     D models were set up for the 37mm cannon, while the E models had the
     Oldsmobile 20mm cannon. Fortunately, the Japanese had seriously
     miscalculated our weakness and failed to launch an invasion force
     at Alaska. It is agood bet that their intelligence people were also
     fooled by Gen. Buckner's truculent approach. A force of 1O,OOO
     Japanese troops, supported by two light carriers and their defensive
     warships, could have overwhelmed Dutch Harbor, Kodiak, and Juneau
     while laying waste to Cold Harbor and Elmendorf AAB within the first
     week of the war. Alaska would have been cut off and Canada would have
     been seriously threatened. The effect on the West Coast population
     would have been far more serious than anyone can imagine. Thousands
     of workers would have deserted their homes and headed east. The
     Japanese would have had bombers based within 3 hour flight time of
     the Boeing plants at Seattle and Renton, and Bremerton Naval
     Shipyard would have been a prime target as well; (Many ships
     damaged at Pearl Harbor were rebuilt at Bremerton). The intelligence
     and command errors related to Alaska may have been a fatal blow to
     the Japanese war effort; they certainly made it easier for the U.S.
     to build up its forces for a counterattack.
        Thousands of miles from Anchorage, some cryptographers in the
     Office of Naval Intelligence at Peari Harbor had intercepted many
     Japanese coded messages referring to Operation MI. By May 15, 1942,
     the information was in the hands of Pacific Fleet Admiral Nimitz and
     his staff. They concluded that the IJN, commanded by Admiral Isoroku
     Yamamoto, would attempt to overwhelm Midway Island in the Central
     Pacific while initiating a landing in a (belated) major diversionary
     thrust at the Aleutians and possibly mainland Alaska.  Back in the
     United States, General George Marshall issued an order that
     emphasized just how seriously the Japanese plans were taken at the
     highest levels; he ordered Gen. Arnold to have two entire P-38
     fighter groups - the lst and 14th - abort their in-progress
     Operation Bolero mass movement to England and return immediately to
     the West Coast for combat against any imminent attempt by the enemy
     to invade the main land. That order was not cancelled until
     immediately after it was determined that Midway was the key target.
        In the meantime, on May 23, the 54th Fighter Squadron was separated
     from the 55th Fighter Group at Paine Field, Washington and all 25 of
     its P-38Es flew to Burbank, California, for modification.  Many of the
     P-38s, including Lt. Stanley Long's, arrived after dark. With no
     advance communication about their arival, Los Angeles went to a full
     blackout condition. Long, totally unfamiliar with the Burbank area,
     (but knowing of the surrounding mountains) contemplated heading west
     toward the ocean and bailing out. He was nearly out of fuel. Suddenly
     a light appeared below, and he recognized it as a landing light of a
     commercial airliner.  He swung around and, diving down, followed the
     aircraft in for a hasty landing, noting that several other fellow
     pilots followed him. When he viewed the suffounding terrain the next
     morning, he became rather upset about his narrow escape.
        By May 29, all of the P-38E fighters had been modified by
     installation of external fuel tank bomb pylons of the type made
     standard on P-38Fs at that time and winterization equipment.  Stanley
     Long taxied his olive drab fighter out on the disintegrating tarmac
     runway at Grand Central Airport in Glendale, blasted off the field
     with some squadron mates and headed for Hamilton Field, north of San
     Francisco. They were on their way to Washington, Felts Field in
     Edmonton, Watson Lake and Elmendorf Field in Anchorage, totally
     unaware of the impending Japanese attack The weather at Watson Lake
     was beautiful. After landing on the good weather gravel strip, long -
     like the others - had to service his own aircraft. Fuel had to be
     pumped in by hand from 55 gallon drums.  By June 2, he was
     in the 11th Air Force at Elmendorf participating in training and
     patrol flights, while the Japanese were only hours from invading.
        The 54th Fighter Squadron, under command of Maj. William M.
     Jackson, was assigned to the 343rd Fighter Group. On June 15 the
     squadron moved to Cold Bay (Fort Randall), followed by another
     important move to the Marston mats at Fort Glenn in the Fox Island
     group. Umnak Island was about 600 miles from Kiska, which tne Japanese
     Navy and Army had invaded and captured in the first week of June.
     Weather permitting, which meant infrequently the obvious target was
     Kiska. Even in excellent weather, 600 miles each way was hardly a safe
     situation in the early P-38s. Within days, "weather permitting" was
     interpreted to mean that if you could find the runway for takeoff, you
     went. Without any doubt, the Aleutian weather had to qualify as
     probably the worst in the world. Winds could blow up to 80 mph while,
     at the same time, fog was thick enough to limit visibility to six
     feet. A cloud front could coat a B-24 with a ton of rime ice in
     minutes. Temperatures in the B-17, B-24 and P-38E cockpits at 30,000
     feet were sometimes recorded at -60 degrees F. Rubber parts frequently
     shattered like glass. Hydraulic fluid solidified in the lines, and
     navigation was a nightmare. All existing American navigational
     charts were based on a Russian survey of l864 or on some Rand
     McNally road maps. Large volcanic islands that peaked far into the
     skies were mislocated by more than 50 miles. And the winds were such
     that sometimes a round trip to Japanese held Kiska meant two hours
     outbound for a B-24 and nine hours to return. (At 65 mph TAS, a
     Liberator didn't make much progress.
        Lt. Stan Long recalled that his first landing on the Fort Glenn
     strip was an eye opener. He said that the Marston mat rattled like a
     thousand.tin cans as he rolled alog and that pilots would get
     seasick from the undulating metal runway as the tundra gave way.
        Supporting the IJN task force of Vice Admiral Boshiro Hosogaya in
     its two-pronged assault on the Aleutians in early June, a small
     fleet of six Kawanishi H6K4 Type 97 "Mavis" four-engine flying
     boats - a mid '30s type that appeared to be a contemporary
     combination of the 1935 French Loire-et-Olivier H.246.1 and an
     American Sikorsky S-42 - had flown out from Paramushiro in the
     Northern Kuriles. Under command of Captain Sukemitsu Ito, they had
     comprised Hosogaya's primary bombing fleet, particularly after the
     admiral had dropped off numerous Nakajima A6M2-N Rufe seaplane
     fighters (floatplane versions of the already famous Mitsubishi Zeke
     32/Zero) at Kiska before taking his carriers to other waters. The
     defeat at Midway mandated his retum to the Western Pacific frontier.
     Unfortunately for Captain Ito, three of his six bombers were lost to
     the elements during the invasion of Kiska, Adak and Attu.
        Flying some 600 miles to the Fox Islands, on August 3, Ito was
     determined to sink the USS Gillis, a seaplane tender that had
     been converted from a World War I flush-deck destroyer. The Gillis
     was in the area to service Navy PBY flying boats. The tender and a
     destroyer, both caught in Harold's Bay, avoided the bombs dropped by
     the big Mavis flying boats, adding to Ito's frustration. He then
     decided that he would return the next day to do the job right.
        Equally determined to put an end to the Japanese bombing attacks,
     the American bomber commander, Col. William Eareckson, was busy
     setting up a counterattack. He would use a few his bombers as combat
     command centers and the P-38s of the 54th Fighter Squadron as the
     interceptors. Those P-38Es had flown into the new airstrip at Ft.
     Glenn (on Umnak) in July after each plane made a 2-hour flight from
     Fort Randall. Eareckson, adopting the Bolero technique in which a
     bomber crew leads fighters and uses their navigational expertise and
     scouting skills advantage, planned to have a 4-engine bomber lead
     two fighters to intercept the enemy. He ordered squadron commander
     Maj. Jackson to furnish three interceptor flights (each consisting
     of a two-plane element) for the morning of August 4. The third
     flight included Lts. Kenneth Ambrose and Stanley A. Long.
        Col. Eareckson personally briefed Lt. M.H. McWilliams, the bomber
     pilot, together with Ambrose and Long. He told them that Maj. Miller
     had taken off earlier in a B-24, guiding two P-38Es.  "We'll run
     patrols all day," said the colonel. "He's (Miller) going to stay
     there until you relieve him. Take off is at 0800 and I don't mean 5
     minutes after. Ambrose will answer to the call sign 'Skylark' and
     Long, you're 'Robin.' Got that! Good luck, and stay away from their
     tail guns." (A Kawanishi's armament consisted of a 20mm tail gun,
     plus a few machine guns in the nose and midsection.)
        McWilliams climbed the B-17 out toward Harold's Bay, while Ambrose
     and Long darted around between a 3500-foot cloud layer and another
     at 9000 feet. Miller's B-24 and two P-38s were spotted as they
     turned for home. Near Great Mountain, the bomber crew in the B-17
     suddenly spotted two specks in the sky heading east about 10 miles
     away.
        After the initial alert, Lt. Nelson Drake called out "Skylark,
     Skylark! Do you see them now!"
        "Nope, no sign of them yet," was the reply. Yet the P-38s were
     headed right at the two enemy bombers.
        As the B-17 crew went to battle stations, at about 15,000 feet, the
     P-38 pilots switched on their guns and sights, and triggered off
     bursts to warm the guns. By this time, the big enemy flying boats
     reappeared against the sea of white clouds at about 7000 feet.
        Lockheed's P-38s were about to get their first-ever taste of air-
     to-air combat. (It was several days later that, half a world away,
     Major John Weltman and Lt. Elza Shahan attacked a German Focke-Wulf
     Fw.200 Condor over Icelandic waters, scoring America's first victory
     against the Luftwaffe.)
        Ambrose took the left Mavis while Long picked on the enemy to the
     right. The first burst from Ambrose's guns missed, but Stan Long saw
     his slugs hitting both aircraft as they came close together instead
     of splitting away. His ammo tore into the cockpit enclosure of the
     aircraft he was after. Both pilots sizzled past the big boats,
     drawing return fire. But only Ambrose's airplane was hit.  Long was
     fascinated by those large red meatballs on the Mavis seaplanes, but
     Ambrose was more engrossed in the trail of smoke boiling from the
     wing of his target. Both of the Kawanishis rumbled toward the fogbank
     at 3500 feet as the two Lightnings, true to their name, banked around
     for another pass - this one to be a low approach to avoid return fire
     if possible.
        Stanley Long's gunnery was excellent. Once again his slugs
     shattered the pilots' enclosure and tore into the flight deck and
     hull. The big flying boat wobbled drunkenly out of control, rolled
     over and plunged toward the water of Nazan Bay.
        On his second pass, Ambrose put 20mm and .50 caliber bursts into
     the Mavis wing and one of the engines exploded in flame, eating away
     at the fabric tail assembly. Bombs were jettisoned as the aircraft
     headed straight into the fogbank, flaming like a funeral pyre. There
     was no doubt about its fate.
        As the P-38s circled, McWilliams had spotted what he thought was
     another brace of Kawanishi 97s going into a cloud bank. He banked the
     B-17 and followed them into the white mass, and 25 minutes later
     chased one Mavis out, straight at the P-38s. In the heat of battle,
     Ambrose and Long were sure that the third boat was mortally wounded,
     but could not claim a certain victory. They did not know that the
     aircraft was piloted by Captain Ito, or they might have tried much
     harder. Ito nursed the Kawanishi back to Kiska some 5 hours later.
        By the middle of August - after Col. Eareckson had discontinued his
     defense patrols over Umnak and Unalaska Islands - the aerial
     bombardment threat to Dutch Harbor and the American fleet units
     evaporated into the ever-present mists. Capt. Ito flew his patched
     Mavis back to Paramushiro, having lost five aircraft and scoring
     only cosmetic damage to the American installations and ships.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 09:44:00 -0500
From:    Michael Andrew Turton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Halsey

Morrison implies that the tag "the world wonders" was a quote from
some literary piece which I've forgotten and the Nimitz clearly
intended to put it in there.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 09:44:38 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: P-38 in the Pacific (Part 2, continued)

     Wings Magazine
     4 August 1978

     "The P-38 Lightning in the Pacific, the Aleutians, China-Burma-India

     By,
     Warren M. Bodie

     The biggest event to take place in subsequent weeks was the "nearly
     walk in" invasion of Adak Island by the Army. If the U.S. forces
     were to drive the Japanese from Kiska and Attu, they couldn't do it
     from Ft. Glenn. On the same day that Ambrose and Long gained their
     historic victories, Eareckson's bomber fleet - a motley collection
     of baling-wire B-17s and B-24s - had been whittled down to about
     ten in number, primarily as a result of accidents. Those 1200-mile
     grinds through "ice looking for a place to form," impenetrable fog
     and lava-rock-filled clouds took a severe toll. Not only that, the
     enemy had a lot of anti-aircraft guns in a small area and many Rufe
     fighters.

     The Adak invasion was almost a routine practice run but for the
     terrible storm that raged during the invasion and for four days
     afterward. Not one Japanese contested the invasion, and when the
     weather cleared, P-38s flew constant air cover missions over the
     island. The Army Engineers, under command of Col. Carlin Whitesell,
     built the airfield in a big lagoon, the only possible site, by
     draining the entire area which was part of Sweeper Cove. They could
     not use the Marston mats as a base because the entire supply - part
     of that initial order that Gen. Buckner had placed in 1941 - went to
     the bottom when the storm winds capsized the barge carrying the
     steel planks. Improvising with ingenuity, the Engineers used
     hard-packed sand for the runway and hardstands as an interim
     measure.

     On September 2 and 3, Lt. Long and others in the 54th Squadron flew
     back-to-back missions of 5 hrs. 30 mins. and 6 hrs. 30 mins to
     attack Kiska from Ft. Glenn. A few days earlier, one P-38E had shot
     up about a half-dozen Nakajima Rufe floatplanes at anchor, and then
     loitered over the enemy base for several hours in hopes of catching
     some incoming enemy aircraft. He encountered no headwinds on the
     return flight, but his landing was made with 5 minutes of fuel left
     after a mission of close to 9 hours. (Somebody obviously knew a lot
     about cruise control techniques.)

     On Sept. 10, 1942, Col. Eareckson was the first pilot to land at the
     new Adak base, code-named " Longview," in the van of the dozen
     remaining bombers of the 36th Bombardment Squadron.  They were
     accompanied by 18 fighters, including some P-38Es of the 54FS. Stan
     Long and some others flew in on the 13th. When another shipment of
     Marston mats arrived, the Engineers laid and linked the steel planks
     overnight.

     Putting his bombers up in force, Eareckson headed for Kiska on the
     morning or the 14th. Fourteen P-38Es, led by Maj. William Jackson,
     were joined by an equal number of Bell P-39F Airacobras that had
     just joined the mixed-breed 343rd Fighter Group under Col. Jack
     Chennault. All of the aircraft went to Kiska at deck level, hoping to
     surprise the defenders. It didn't work.

     Spotters picked up the incoming waves of aircraft and the bombers
     met a hail of flak. In minutes, the bombers plastered the base and
     sank two ships. Four P-38s came in and destroyed another half-dozen
     Rufes and an unidentified flying boat on the water. Top-cover P-38s
     and P-39s (an odd use of the aircraft) jumped five of the Japanese
     floatplanes in the air and knocked them down. In one of those nearly
     unbelievable incidents that can be compared to the loss of Major
     Thomas McGuire in the Philippines in 1945 and Col. Harold Rau's
     victory over a silver Messerschmitt that wiped out a P-38 in the
     process, Major Jackson's P-38E and another Lightning flown by Lt.
     Dewey Crowe had a mid-air collision while pursuing a Rufe in a
     dive. Both American pilots perished. (Captain Francis Pope took over
     the squadron following Jackson's demise.)

     After that initial pioneering raid from Longview, daily assaults on
     Kiska became routine in a manner of speaking. But the Japanese were
     tough, and it was hardly an easy routine.

     The Army Air Forces, in the autumn of 1942, totaled up combat losses
     of only nine fighters and bombers. However, more than 60 airplanes
     of all types ( B-17, B-24, LB-30, B-26, C-47. P-38, P-39, P-40 and
     OA-10) were victims of the inclement weather or mechanical failures
     in the same period. Several of the aircraft simply flew into
     mountains in the fog. As has been pointed out, one of the worst
     enemies was the predictably bad weather. In the same time frame,
     that polar weather was nearly as bad for the P-38 and B-7 pilots
     participating in Operation Bolero on the opposite side of the globe.

     Attacks on Japanese installations continued until the enemy finally
     was forced to withdraw completely in the face of overwhelming odds
     by the end of July, 7, 1943. They simply disappeared into the fog
     that surrounded Kiska.

     Steve L. New

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 11:04:38 EDT
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: CV Bitmaps

     Jorge,

     Again, no luck.

     My version of UUENCODE breaks up a large binary file into several
     ascii files, each smaller than 64k.  In order for it to work, it needs
     each of those small files.

     What I'm receiving from you is one large file.  If you are combining
     the smaller files into one for transmission, then perhaps that is what
     is causing the problem at this end.

     Steve

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 11:56:16 -0800
From:    Jim Curry <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Rokossovsky

On Fri, 11 Nov 1994, H. Emery Ford wrote:

> Hi Mike!
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> On Thu, 10 Nov 94, Mike Yaklich wrote:
>
> >Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the future Marshal Rokossovsky
> >"rehabilitated" during the Finnish Winter War, a year prior to the Moscow
> >campaign?
>
> I am getting reports that Rokossovsky was involved in the Russo-Finish
> War and was later involved in counterattacks in the Smolensk area as the
> Germans were approaching Moscow.
>
> >I know that Stalin's people recalled some formerly disgraced and/or
> >incarcerated officer victims of the military purges when things started to go
> >wrong in Finland--allowing them to work their passage, as it were, back to
> >respectability at the front.  The program was successful enough that it was
> >instituted again on a larger scale in the crisis of the winter of '41-42.
>
> I haven't read much about any other post-purge rehabilited Red Army
> officers than Rokossovsky.  If anyone has any info on other officers, I
> would sure like to know who they were, as well as stories on how they
> were implicated in Stalin's purge.   Are there sources for this?  I
> would assume there's a book that deals with Stalin's military purge
There is available in English a book by General Aleksandr
Gorbatov,who had an experince much like Roossovsky's.  Its title
is _Years Off My Life_.  It was published by Norton in 1965.
Jim Curry

> exclusively.
>
> >If someone knowledgeable in this area doesn't post it first I'll eventually
> >dig up some bio on the future c-in-c of the Polish Army.
>
> I would certainly appreciate it.  Thanks much.
>
> Emery
>

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 21:18:14 GMT+1
From:    SYSTEM OPERATOR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TACT: HALSEY

Ben Frank <[email-masked]> writes:

> sizable group. The problem was that Halsey was sailing under orders from
> Nimitz, who, as CINCPAC, was mightily concerned that Halsey not coming under
> MacArthur's command. And so his orders gave him great latitude in what he cou
> do, and one of the aspects of these orders was to engage the enemy fleet. Tha
> did not mean that he should stay and protect MacArthur's landings, nor did it
> necessarily mean that he was subordinate to Kinkaid's fleet. When I interview

I always thought Halsey was entrusted with protection of the San Bernardino
strait. If not, then that is a fantastic example of blundering caused by
twin-command. I guess that had an overall commander existed to see the whole
picture, things would have gone very differently.
Thanks for the info (and for the additional personal answer, Ben).

Arnaud.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 21:37:13 GMT+1
From:    SYSTEM OPERATOR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Cannibalism in other theaters

Patrick D Marsden <[email-masked]> writes:
> ingredients.  There was one Soviet admiral in the city who reportedly
> sent his expensive pig-hide leather attache case to a relative who,
> through marvel of cooking, produced a ham-like soup which fed her family
> for a week.  She even returned the brass fittings to the officer.
> Residents supplimented their state rations with horse and later rat meat.

Rats indeed are a delicacy to the besieged. During the siege of Paris in
1870, a few Parisians had the privilege of eating the elephant of the
Paris zoo, as well as other exotic animals. If I remember well Alexander
Soljenitsyn also recalls being one of the very few humans having eaten
a mammoth. When in the gulag they found a frozen one and did not leave it
unattended.
What rat and elephant taste I hope never to know (but these days prepared rat
meat is of fashion in some Paris restaurants...and I am not joking).
Sorry for straying from WWII exceptionally but I found the attache-case story
amusing enough.

Arnaud.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 14:15:10 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TACT: HALSEY

>From:         Cassady Craft <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      Re: TACT: HALSEY

>I think that the implication of Ben Franks posting is that Halsey got the
>short end of the stick for his actions.  I would agree, for several reasons.
>1) Carriers up until this time in the war were the principle enemy--most
>dangerous and capable of offensive action against the U.S. Navy and ground
>forces ashore.  2) Halsey could not know that these were decoys--even if he
>thought that they were, what was he supposed to do?  You have to err on the
>side of conservatism in such a case--go get the carriers.

Regarding point 2, others with task force 38 thought the carriers were
decoys.  Arleigh Burke, Mitscher's chief of staff had seen the Marianas
Turkey Shoot and did not believe the Japanese had enough planes or
pilots left to put up a fight.  He wanted Mitscher to talk to Halsey
about it, but Halsey had basically taken over Mitscher's job and
Mitscher demurred.  Admiral Lee did tell Halsey that the carriers might
be decoys, but Halsey and his staff rejected it as absurd.  See E.B.
Potter, _Bull Halsey_

[..]

>Finally, to have relieved Halsey for such aggressiveness would have been
>criminal.  Early in the war, when carriers were scarce and the conflict was
>in the balance, the command structure trusted Halsey above all others.  So
>then late in the war when aggressiveness could really pay dividends, you
>releive him?  Just when you have the resources to gamble with?  Spruance
>probably had more grounds for relief after the Marshalls episode.

I don't think anybody ever wanted to relieve him for this episode.  It
was after his second encounter with a typhoon that there were calls for
his relief.  See Jocko Clark's book _Carrier Admiral_ for his side of
the story.  It does seem that Halsey and McCain screwed up.  As for
relieving Spruance, I don't understand that at all.  His orders were to
protect the invasion fleet, and that is what he did.

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 14:29:16 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Halsey

>From:         "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      Re: Halsey

>
>     > he was, "Turkey trots to water, all the world wants to know where is
>     > TF 38," caused Halsey to throw his hat to the deck and begin cursing
>     > mightily. He felt he was being second-guessed from Nimitz'
>     > headquarters. This is an interesting study in personalities,
>     > misinterpretation of orders, and a split command.
>
>     >Ben Frank
>
>
>     Ben,
>
>     The way I read about it, the message above was mis-delivered to Halsey
>     due to a mistaken decoding operation.
>
>     At the time, Naval messages were encoded with nonsense phrases added
>     to the beginning and end to make it more difficult for the Japanese to
>     decode them.  These phrases were to be stripped off by the
>     intelligence/radio officer decoding toe message.
>
>     In the case of the Nimitz message, it intended to be sent out as:
>
>
>     Nonsense Phrase:
>     Turkey trots to water
>
>     Message:
>     Where is Task Force 38
>
>     Nonsense Phrase:
>     The world wonders?
>
>
>     Because of the coherency of the message and the trailing phrase, the
>     decoding officer wasn't sure that it was meant as nonsense, and
>     decided to leave it in.  This meant that the message that Halsey
>     received from Nimitz actually read "Where is task force 38. The world
>     wonders?"

I hope nobody thinks this is too much of a nit to pick, but the message
was

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER RR WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY-FOUR RR
THE WORLD WONDERS

E. B. Potter, _Bull Halsey_

Anything before the first RR is padding and anything after the last RR
is padding.  Note the repeat in there.  Also note that it is task force
34, not 38.  That is important to the discussion, because TF 34 was a
taskforce of BBs under Admiral Lee, that Kinkaid thought Halsey had left
behind to block the straits.

>
>     Now, after all the verbiage, comes my question.  Was the story that I
>     learned about the decoding process on Admiral Nimitz's message just a
>     fable.  Your earlier post seems to say that it was Adm. Nimitz's
>     intention to say "The world wonders".

The original message Nimitz ordered sent was "WHERE IS TASK FORCE 34?".
The RPT was added by the yoeman who took the message.  The padding was
added by the ensign who prepared the dispatch.  The communicators on BB
New Jersey were the only ones who failed to delte the padding.  Also,
King and Kinkaid were added as addrees by the officer who dictated the
message, not by Nimitz.

>From all I've ever seen, this is not legend but did occur.

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 14:31:39 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Halsey

>Sender:       World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
>From:         Michael Andrew Turton <[email-masked]>
>
>Morrison implies that the tag "the world wonders" was a quote from
>some literary piece which I've forgotten and the Nimitz clearly
>intended to put it in there.

I believe it was from someting like _Charge of the Light Brigade_ or
something like that, but I have never seen that Nimitz put it there.
Every account I've seen says it was padding added by the officer who
prepared the dispatch

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 14:52:48 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Halsey

>From:         Michael Andrew Turton <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      Halsey
>
>Morrison implies that the tag "the world wonders" was a quote from
>some literary piece which I've forgotten and the Nimitz clearly
>intended to put it in there.

Recall the date is 10/25/44

>From _Nimitz_, E. B. Potter.

... October 25 is no ordinary day in military history.  For one thing,
it is Saint Crispin's Day, the date of the battle of Agincourt (1415).
It is also the date of the Battle of Balaklava (1854).  The latter was
marked by the mnagnificant, futile chargel of the Light Brigade, of
which Tennyson wrote:

     When can their glory fade?
     O the wild charge they made!
        All the world wonder'd,
     Honour the Light Brigade,
        Noble six hundred!

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 21:15:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 11 NOV 44

11 November
COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 11 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  L-1, Stinson Vigilant
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 18 B-25s hit Phuc Yen, French
Indochina, Wan Lai-Kam, Burma, and damage a bridge on the Mekong River in
French Indochina. 10 B-25s bomb Kweilin Airfield in China while 4 hit
Wanling, Burma. 5 B-25s and 6 P-40s attack Chingmen Airfield, China. 70+
P-40s, P-51s and P-38s over S China and N Indochina on armed reconnaissance
hit targets of opportunity at several locations, concentrating on Lampang,
Thailand, and the Changsha, Lingling, and Hengyang, China areas.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, nearly 90 P-47s hit troop
concentrations at Chaungdauk, Nawngtao, Mankang, and in the Indaw vicinity;
damage and knock out bridges at Meza and S of Kawlin, score near misses on
bridges in the Hsenwi and Namhkai area; blast a radio installation near
Manoi, bomb Kawlin Airfield, hit rail traffic between Shwebo and Padu, and
attack targets of opportunity along the Irrawaddy River from Tigyaing to
Twinnge. Transports fly 237 sorties to forward areas. The 115th Liaison
Squadron, Tenth AF, arrives at Ledo, India from the US with L-1s and L-5s.
A detachment of the 317th Troop Carrier Squadron (Commando), Tenth AF, begins
operating from Tulihal, India with C-47s (squadron is based at Sylhet,
India).

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  AIRBORNE OPERATIONS (IX Troop Carrier Command): The 305th Troop Carrier
Squadron, 442d Troop Carrier Group, moves from Peray to St-Andre-de-L'Eure
with C-47s.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 712: 482 bombers and 367
fighters make PFF attacks on oil refineries and marshalling yards in W
Germany; 1 bomber and 1 fighter are lost:
  1. 197 B-17s are sent to hit the Oberlahnstein marshalling yard (146); 24
hit the secondary, the Koblenz marshalling yard; 2 hit a target of
opportunity; 1 B-17s is damaged beyond repair and 31 damaged; 1 airman is
KIA. Escorting are 170 P-47s and P-51s without loss.
  2. 129 B-17s are sent to hit the Buer oil refinery at Gelsenkirchen (100);
23 hit the secondary, the Rheine marshalling yard; 1 B-17 is damaged beyond
repair and 1 damaged; 7 airmen are KIA. Escorting are 52 P-51s; 1 is lost.
  3. 143 B-24s are sent to hit the Bottrop oil refinery (124); 1 hit
Recklinghausen, a target of opportunity; 1 B-24 is lost and 39 damaged; 10
airmen are MIA. Escorting are 98 P-47s and P-51s.
  12 of 13 B-17s fly a screening mission.
  31 P-51s fly a scouting mission.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS

    First Tactical Air Force (Provisional): HQ 320th Bombardment Group and
the 441st, 442d, 443d and 444th Bombardment Squadrons (Medium) move from
Corsica to Longvic Airfield at Dijon, France with B-26s.

(Ninth Air Force): In Germany, 190 B-26s and A-20s hit
strongpoints at Putzlohn and rail bridges at Sinzig, Euskirchen, Ahrweiler,
and Mayen; the IX Tactical Air Command hits railroads and other targets,
escorts the bombers, and supports the US 28th Infantry Division in the
Schmidt area. The XXIX Tactical Air Command hits targets in W Germany. The
XIX Tactical Air Command flies armed reconnaissance and supports the US XII
and XX Corps in the Thionville-Metz, France area. In France, the 405th
Fighter Squadron, 371st Fighter Group, based at Tavaux Airfield at Dole
begins operating from Dijon with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 220+ heavy bombers attack
marshalling yards in Rosenheim, Germany; Salzburg, Villach, Linz, and Lienz,
the railroad at Zell am See and highway bridge at Sillian, and Wurzen Pass,
Austria; railroad bridges at Pinzano al Tagliamento, Latisana, and Casarsa
della Delizia, and Aviano Airfield, Italy. Fighters escort all missions
except the bridge attacks. Bad weather grounds 100+ other heavy bombers, and
another 320+ are recalled before reaching their target areas.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers strike at
railroad bridges in NC and NE Italy, damaging a bridge at Piazzola sul Brenta
and knocking out 2 spans of a bridge at Latisana; fighter-bombers continue
support of ground forces S of Bologna, attack vehicles, trains, and
communications in the Genoa-Alessandria area, bomb Villafranca di Verona
Airfield and set most of the area aflame; during the night of 10/11 Nov A-20s
bomb Ghedi Airfield and targets of opportunity in the Po Valley. The 17th and
18th Troop Carrier Squadrons, 64th Troop Carrier Group, cease operating from
Istres, France and return to base at Ciampino, Italy with C-47s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): Escorted by newly arrived P-38s (some of which
also escort the B-29 raid on Truk Atoll) 29 Guam Island-based B-24s pound Iwo
Jima Island airfields. 16 Saipan Island Island-based P-47s hit Pagan Island
beach defenses and storage caves.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): The last of the 6 preliminary training
missions of the XXI Bomber Command is directed at Truk Atoll where 8 B-29s
bomb Dublon Island submarine pens.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the Philippine
Islands, B-24s hit Dumaguete Airfield on Negros Island while fighter-bombers
hit shipping in the Palompon area of Leyte Island and targets of opportunity
at Valencia on Mindanao Island. Over Halmahera Island, fighter-bombers and
B-25s hit shipping and Namlea Airfield on Buru Island. On Celebes Island,
P-38s hit Kendari Airfield and B-24s bomb the Ninring River area.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

13/0216Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 21:24:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 12 NOV 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SUNDAY, 12 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 2 B-24s fly armed reconnaissance over Onnekotan
and Matsuwa Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 8 B-25s knock out a railway bridge
and damage 2 others near Thanh Hoa, French Indochina. In Burma, 4 B-25s bomb
the town of Man Pwe while 4 attack Wanling. In China, 38 P-51s and P-40s hit
Hengyang Airfield and attack river, rail, and road traffic, artillery pieces,
pillboxes, and storage around Hengyang, Lingling, and Kweilin; 13 P-40s hit
the Changsha area; 40 P-51s and P-38s hit various targets of opportunity at
several other locations scattered throughout S China and N French Indochina;
the 21st Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, Fourteenth AF, based at
Kunming, sends a flight to operate from Suichwan with F-5s (other flights are
operating from Kanchow and Hanchung).

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 16 P-47s support ground
forces in the Pinwe area and near Indaw; 24 attack supplies and
communications targets in the Kawlin area while 9 bomb Japanese
concentrations at Indaw and Man Hkong; the town of Pegon is attacked by 11
P-47s and 20+ others and 9 B-25s hit targets of opportunity during the sweeps
of the Irrawaddy River from Singu to Katha and along rail lines at several
points in N Burma. 250+ transport sorties are flown to forward bases and
frontline areas. HQ 2d Air Commando Group arrives at Kalaikunda, India from
the US.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Twentieth Air Force): 29 Chengtu, China-based B-29s
bomb Omura, Kyushu Island, Japan; 20+ others bomb the last resort target of
Nanking, China (due to bad weather over Omura), and 20+ more hit various
alternate targets and targets of opportunity.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  AIRBORNE OPERATIONS (IX Troop Carrier Command):

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): The operational tour of duty for
fighter pilots is set at 270 hours.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): Weather prevents operations by the
9th Bombardment Division; fighter operations are limited but IX and XIX
Tactical Air Command's fly patrols and armed reconnaissance in W Germany and
along the French-German border. In France, the 404th Fighter Squadron, 371st
Fighter Group, based at Tavaux Airfield, Dole begins operating from Dijon
with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Italy, 107 fighter-escorted
B-24s strike at bridges at Ora, Albes, and Mezzocorona, a viaduct at Avisio,
plus the alternate target of Casarsa della Delizia railroad bridges and
targets of opportunity in NE Italy including the Latisana railroad bridge and
an airfield to the N.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, bad weather grounds
medium bombers; fighter-bombers support ground forces in the N Apennines and
hit railway targets in the Po Valley, cut rail lines in 18 places and destroy
or seriously damage 8 bridges; during the night of 11/12 Nov A-20s hit motor
transport, Bergamo Airfield, and the Po River crossing at San Benedetto Po.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 29 Saipan Island-based B-24s with P-38 escort
bomb the airfield on Iwo Jima Island. 11 P-47s strafe the runway and storage
area on Pagan Island. During the night a B-24 on a snooper mission bombs Iwo
Jima Island. B-24s from Angaur Island bomb Koror Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the Philippine
Islands, B-24s bomb Alicante Airfield on Negros Island while on Leyte Island,
fighter-bombers hit Linao barges on the W coast and shipping in Ormoc Bay;
B-25s bomb Daliao and Matina Airfields on Mindanao Island. B-24s and fighter-
bombers over NE Celebes and Halmahera Islands attack shipping and Djailolo
Airfield on Halmahera Island. 50+ B-25s blast Mapia and Asia Islands, New
Guinea. Units moving to Leyte Island, Philippine Islands: HQ 91st
Photographic Wing (Reconnaissance) moves from Biak Island; HQ 345th
Bombardment Group (Medium) and the 498th and 499th Bombardment Squadrons
(Medium) from Biak Island with B-25s (squadrons continue to operate from Biak
Island). The 370th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 307th Bombardment Group
(Heavy), ceases operating from Noemfoor Island with B-24s and returns to base
on Wakde Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

13/0225Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 21:32:42 -0500
From:    "Arthur D. Venzin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA: PBS PROGRAM ON BULGE

John, I'm recording it right m now but.... and there's always a but...
I think I missed the first 5 minutes.  It a great show watchewd  d it with my
father the other day.  He was really upset ... he was w/ the 11th Armored
and there was no mention of them.  They even releaved the                   y w (11th) was releaved by the 17th
Air Borne   urne            Airborne and Dad doesn't understand how they got into so much s----t because
the 11th just left that area of Belgium.  If you would like I'll send you a copy of an article I wrote on the 11th Division.  I'd like to put it here for all
but i'm still trying to download.  I may get it this week.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 21:30:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 13 NOV 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 13 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  UC-64, Noorduyn Norseman
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In Burma, 4 B-25s bomb Man Pwe while
4 others blast 3 warehouses at Wanling. 60+ P-40s, P-51s, and P-38s on armed
reconnaissance over S China and as far W and SW as Burma and Thailand hit
numerous targets of opportunity including shipping, troops, and railroad
targets.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 100+ fighter-bombers pound
numerous targets in N Burma; close support strikes are made on the Pinwe
area, bridges at Namhkai, Meza, and Thegyaung, on troop concentrations and on
supplies at Loi-Lum and Namhpakka; the ferry crossing at Shweli is hit by
12-hour delay bombs, the Nawnghkio landing ground is strafed, and numerous
targets of opportunity along the Irrawaddy River and rail lines in N Burma
are hit. Transports fly 300+ sorties to forward areas; the 166th Liaison
Squadron (Commando), 1st Air Commando Group, moves from Asansol, India to
Yazagyo with UC-64s and L-5s; the 427th Night Fighter Squadron, AAF,
India-Burma Theater, based at Pandaveswar, India, sends detachment to operate
from Myitkyina with P-61s.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 713: 4 B-17s and 8 B-24s
drop leaflets in the Netherlands, France and Germany during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): Weather prevents all operations
except for night patrol and weather reconnaissance by the IX Tactical Air
Command.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): During the night of 12/13 Nov
14 B-17s and B-24s hit the oil refinery at Blechhammer, Germany; 5 others hit
alternate targets and targets of opportunity at scattered locations including
Gleiwitz, Germany, Karvina, Poland and Ruzomberok and Vac, Czechoslovakia.
Day operations are limited to reconnaissance missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy during the night of 12/13
Nov A-20s bomb ammunition dumps, pontoon bridge, and targets of opportunity
in the Po Valley; a thick overcast covering N Italy the following morning
vastly curtails medium bombers which attack only a railway bridge at Padua;
fighter-bombers continue to hit communications N of the battle area and also
the oil pipeline across the Po River at Ostiglia.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 6 B-24s from Guam Island, escorting US Navy
photo aircraft over Iwo Jima Island and the Bonin Islands, attack shipping at
Futamiko in the Bonin Islands; 1 B-24 from Saipan Island, carrying out an
unsuccessful shipping search, bombs Iwo Jima Island. 7 B-24s from Angaur
Island hit oil storage on Malakal Island, Palau Islands and attack a bridge
between Malakal and Koror Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the Philippine
Islands, B-24s pound Fabrica Airfield on Negros Island while fighter-bombers
hit shipping and other targets of opportunity; a few fighter-bombers hit
Legaspi Airfield on Luzon Island; B-25s, with P-38 cover, hit San Roque
Airfield and the town of Zamboanga on Mindanao Island; the 433d Fighter
Squadron, 475th Fighter Group, moves from Biak Island to Dulag, Leyte Island
with P-38s; the 501st Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 345th Bombardment Group
(Medium), moves from Biak Island to Dulag, Leyte Island but continues to
operate from Biak. Over Halmahera Island and in the Ceram Island area
fighter-bombers and A-20s bomb airfields and various targets of opportunity.
Pegun Island, New Guinea, is blasted by 2 waves of 70 A-20s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

13/0230Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 21:36:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 14 NOV 44

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 14 NOVEMBER 1944
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In E Burma and in the China-Burma
boundary areas 8 B-25s bomb Wanling and Hsenwi, Burma; 15 P-38s and P-40s on
armed reconnaissance hit targets of opportunity around Wanling, Burma and
Mangshih, China.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 12 B-25s bomb a supply
area near Lashio; 56 fighter-bombers hit supply areas, enemy concentrations,
town  areas, and general targets of opportunity at Tingka, China and Kutkai,
Sandaya, Palaung, Kawlin, and in the Shwebo-Kyaukmyaung area. 12 support
ground forces in the Pinwe area, 4 bomb Sindaw River bridges and 30+ others
maintain patrols S of Myitkyina. 300+ transport sorties are flown to forward
areas.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): Weather prevents all operations
except a few fighter patrols and reconnaissance flights. In France, the
353d and 356th Fighter Squadrons, 354th Fighter Group, based at Orconte,
begin operating from St Dizier with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Bad weather limits operations
to reconnaissance missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, bad weather restricts
operations to fighter-bomber attacks by 17 P-47s on rail lines and road N of
the battleline.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 22 Saipan Island and Guam Island-based B-24s
bomb Woleai Atoll, Caroline Islands, hitting an airfield and adjacent
installations and firing an oil dump. 4 Saipan Island-based P-47s hit the
airfield on Pagan Island. During the night of 14/15 Nov a B-24 from Saipan
Island on a snooper mission attacks shipping SW of the Bonin Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-25s pound Pegun
Island, New Guinea in preparation for allied amphibious landings early the
following morning. B-24s strike Langoan Airfield on Celebes Island. In the
Philippine Islands, B-24s, with P-38 and P-47 cover, bomb Bacolod Airfield on
Negros Island while fighter-bombers hit trucks and buildings in the Valencia,
Mindanao Island area and near Linao on Leyte Island and hit shipping S of
Ormoc on Leyte Island; on Cebu Island, B-25s and fighter-bombers pound Lahug
and Opon Airfield; the 310th Bombardment Wing (Medium) moves from Morotai
Island to Leyte Island; the ground echelon of the 418th Night Fighter
Squadron, Thirteenth AF, moves from Morotai Island to Dulag, Leyte Island
(the air echelon remains on Morotai with P-61s). The 370th Bombardment
Squadron (Heavy), 307th Bombardment Group (Heavy), moves form Wakde Island to
Morotai Island with B-24s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

13/0236Z NOV

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 22:35:11 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HALSEY

Steve, you are absolutely right. "Turkey trots to water" and "All the world
wants to know" or "the world wonders" were padding before and after the portion
of the message Nimitz wanted answered, where is TF 38. Adm Carney agreed with
my supposition that Halsey was angry because an opportunity to destroy a
Japanese fleet was taken away from him just as it was nearly in his grasp. Nor
was he in the mood to understand that the message was padded. Replace
"understand" with "appreciate." Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 22:50:10 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: HALSEY

Morison may have said or hinted that Nimitz meant to put the phrase "the world
wonders," but I have always been suspicious of how Morison handled Halsey, of
whom he was not too fond, as you can perceive in his history of the Navy in
WWII. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 12 Nov 1994 22:52:10 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HALSEY

Thanks for the amplification, John. I do stand corrected re/TF34. Ben Frank

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 11 Nov 1994 to 12 Nov 1994
*************************************************