Subject: WWII-L Digest - 1 Jan 1995 to 2 Jan 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 00:00:32 -0500

There are 16 messages totalling 827 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. INFO: Miami Sights?
  2. air attacks- Auschwitz
  3. INF: USN Chronology 01-02-95
  4. TAC: Battle of the Bulge (3)
  5. [INF] USAAF 1 JAN 45
  6. [INF] USAAF 2 JAN 45
  7. [INF] USAAF 3 JAN 45
  8. INF: 50 Years Ago - 03-JAN-1945
  9. Largest AAF Strike (2)
 10. Aol And Delphi (2)
 11. 11th armored div. (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Jan 1995 23:37:20 -0600
From:    Bill Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO: Miami Sights?

I'll be here in Miami for the next three days.  Are there any WWII or
aviation-oriented sights to see here?  I vaguely recall something about a
seaplane museum near the Chalks(?) terminal.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 02:16:36 -0500
From:    Thomas Pike <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: air attacks- Auschwitz

I know one recon flight was flown 14 Jan 45 by the US 15th recon squadron.
Photos of Auschwitz/Birkenau were taken (I think inadvertantly)-but they
exist. Try Col Roy Stanley's book WWII "Photo Intelligence."  It may give you
some leads.
I would be interested in any stories you want to share.
Thomas Pike, Wash DC
Archival Research International
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 04:00:17 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 01-02-95

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1945
01/02 Tue.  United States naval vessel damaged
             Oiler COWANESQUE (AO-79), by suicide plane, Luzon area,
              P. I.,
              08 d. 56'N., 122 d. 49'E.
            Japanese naval vessel sunk:
             Coast defense vessel NO. 138, by Army aircraft,
              Philippine Islands area,
              16 d. 37'N., 120 d. 19'E.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: "Larry W. Jewell" <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 08:16:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TAC: Battle of the Bulge

Thomas Pike writes:
 >
 >Sounds unlikely:
 >1) the 106 ID had landed in Europe only 2 weeks earlier
 >2) The assault largely slipped by allied intel b/c messages weren't sent via
 >ULTRA
 >3) The allied response was not to pinch off the bulge and destroy any
 >surrounded German units, but merely push the German forces back eastward.

It was my understanding that Patton advocated pinching off the
bulge and chewing the Germans up but Eisenhower ordered that the
Germans be pushed back; this resulted in a long, bitter battle that
cost the US Army a lot of casualties due to both weather and the
enemy.

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of these two attack proposals?
Even though I hate "what if" stuff, can anyone speculate on "what
if" Patton's proposal had been pursued?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 08:40:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 1 JAN 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 1 JANUARY 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-26, Douglas Invader
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-46, Curtiss Commando
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  F-7, Consolidated Liberator
  Fw 190, Focke Wulf
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  Mosquito, deHavilland
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 5 B-24s fly coverage for a naval force upon
aborting a bomb mission to the Kurile Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 3 B-24s bomb Ft Bayard; 40
P-51s and P-40s pound railroad targets, warehouses, industrial works, and gun
positions from Yoyang to Puchi; 8 P-51s hit Suchow Airfield, claiming 25
aircraft destroyed; 47 other P-40s and P-51s on armed reconnaissance hit
troops, horses, town areas, and rail and road traffic at several locations
especially at Liuchenghsien and between Siaokan and Hsuchang; a detachment of
the 16th Fighter Squadron, 51st Fighter Group, begins operating from Laohokow
with P-51s (squadron is based at Chengkung; another detachment is at
Kwanghan); during Jan 45, the detachment of the 25th Fighter Squadron, 51st
Fighter Group operating from Poashan with P-51s moves to Leangshan; the 26th
Fighter Squadron, 51st Fighter Group sends detachments to operate from Poseh,
Liangshan and Laohokow with P-51s; and the detachments of the 528th Fighter
Squadron, 311th Fighter Group, operating from Hanchung and Liangshan with
P-51s, return to base at Shwangliu.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 71 P-47s and P-38s attack
villages, general supply areas, fuel dumps, tanks and other vehicles, and
troop concentrations at several locations including Man Hio, Bahe, Mongmit,
Hatka, Namhpakka, Loi-hseng, Mong Yaw and in the Hsenwi area, 4 others hit
targets of opportunity along the Irrawaddy River from Tanaung to Kyungyi; 4
B-25s harass communications lines during the night of 1/2 Jan.  Large-scale
air transport operations continue. The 14th and 15th Combat Cargo Squadrons,
4th Combat Cargo Group, move from Sylhet to Argartala, India with C-46s.
During Jan, the detachment of the 436th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 7th
Bombardment Group (Heavy), based at Luliang, China with B-24s ferrying
gasoline to Suichwan, China, returns to base at Madhaiganj, India.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 774: 845 bombers and 725 fighters are dispatched to hit oil
installations and rail bridges and junctions in W Germany visually and by
PFF; they claim 23-1-3 Luftwaffe aircraft including a jet fighter; 8 bombers
and 2 fighters are lost:
  1. 451 B-17s are sent to hit an oil refinery at Magdeburg (11); secondary
targets are the Henschel marshalling yard at Kassel (292) and the Gottingen
marshalling yard (26); targets of opportunity are Hadamar (12), Wetzlar (12),
Dillenburg (15), Koblenz (11), Wetter (12), Limburg (8), Kirchbunden (7) and
other (22); 2 B-17s are lost, 3 damaged beyond repair and 71 damaged; 10
airmen are KIA, 8 WIA and 18 MIA. Escorting are 327 of 374 P-51s; they claim
17-1-1 aircraft; 2 P-51s are lost (pilots MIA) and 1 damaged beyond repair.
  2. 109 B-17s are dispatched to hit oil industry targets at Dollbergen (54)
and Ehmen (24); targets of opportunity are the Koblenz marshalling yard (12),
Limburg (4) and other (5); 3 B-17s are damaged beyond repair and 43 damaged;
10 airmen are KIA. Escort is provided by 199 P-47s and P-51s without loss.
  3. 273 B-24s hit the Lutzel (56) and Guls (30) rail bridges at Koblens, the
Irlich rail bridge (57) and the Remagen rail bridge (6); targets of
opportunity are Andernach (26), Engers rail bridge (9), Trier (1) and others
(6); 1 B-24 is lost, 4 damaged beyond repair and 63 damaged; 20 airmen are
KIA, 8 WIA and 10 MIA. The escort is 66 of 70 P-51s without loss.
  4. 12 of 12 B-17s fly a screening force mission; they are 8 minutes late
for their escort and are attacked by Fw 190s when 50 miles (80 km) ahead of
the bombers; they claim 6-0-2 aircraft; 5 B-17s are lost and 1 damaged beyond
repair; 45 airmen are MIA. Escort is supposed to be 23 of 26 P-51s.
  5. 2 of 5 B-17s fly an APHRODITE mission against Oldenburg without loss.
  6. 11 of 11 P-51s escort 9 F-5s and 1 Spitfire on a photo reconnaissance
mission over Germany without loss.
  7. 25 P-47s and P-51s escort 3 of 4 Mosquitoes on a special operations
mission without loss.
  Mission 775: 5 B-24s and 3 B-17s drop leaflet on Belgium and Germany during
the night without loss.
  The 1st, 2d and 3d Bombardment Divisions are redesignated 1st, 2d and 3d
Air Divisions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): The Luftwaffe launches an attack of
700-800 aircraft against Ninth AF and Allied airfields, mainly in the
Brussels, Belgium and Eindhoven, the Netherlands areas, and to a lesser
degree in the Metz, France area; 127 operational Allied aircraft are
destroyed; Allied fighters claim 160 air victories while AA claims 300. 190
A-20s, A-26s, and B-26s hit rail bridges, communications centers, a road
junction, a command post, and HQ, all in Belgium and Germany; fighters escort
9th Bombardment Division and Eighth AF bombers, fly patrols, sweeps, and
armed reconnaissance (claiming 39 air victories and numerous ground targets
destroyed) and support the US III, VII, and XII Corps between Saint-Hubert,
Belgium and the Mosel River, Germany. In France, the detachment of the 72d
Liaison Squadron, Ninth AF (attached to Sixth Army Group), ceases operating
from Steinbourg with L-5s and returns to base at Buhl. During Jan 45, HQ XIX
Tactical Air Command moves from France to Luxembourg.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Unfavorable weather permits
only P-38 reconnaissance flights.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers attack
bridges at Palazzuolo sull'Oglio, Parma, and Calcinato (the latter 2 targets
are missed) and an ammunition dump at Parma; fighter-bombers support ground
forces S of Bologna, hit communications and numerous targets of opportunity
to the N and completely destroy a fuel dump at Parma; A-20s on intruder
missions during the night of 31 Dec/1 Jan, achieve excellent results on a
motor park near Molinella and hit a marshalling yard near Milan. HQ 319th
Bombardment Group (Medium) departs Corsica for the US where it converts to
A-26 aircraft in preparation for assignment to the Pacific.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 19 B-24s from Saipan Island, Mariana Islands,
bomb Iwo Jima Island, Volcano Islands; 9 more, during snooper missions on the
night of 1/2 Jan, hit the island at varying intervals.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the Philippine
Islands, B-25s and fighter-bombers make low level attacks on Negros Island
airfields; B-24s, with P-38 cover, bomb Clark Field on Luzon Island and
others  pound the Sasa area on Mindanao Island. On Halmahera Island, B-24s
along with B-25s hit Djailolo, Wasile Bay bivouac areas, and Miti ammunition
dump. B-25s bomb airfields on Ceram Island and barracks at Laoag on Luzon
Island. Fighter-bombers are active against targets in the Manila area on
Luzon Island and also hit Silay on Negros Island. Airfields, shipyards, and
other targets in the Borneo, Celebes and Lesser Sunda Islands also sustain
light raids, by FEAF fighters and bombers, which also fly armed
reconnaissance. HQ 345th Bombardment Group (Medium) moves from Dulag to
Tacloban, Leyte Island. During Jan 44, the detachment of the 4th Photographic
Charting Squadron, 311th Photographic Wing [attached to 4th Photographic
Group (Reconnaissance)] ceases operating from Morotai Island, Moluccas
Islands, with F-7s and returns to base at Hollandia, New Guinea; at the same
time, a detachment of this squadron begins operating in Australia during the
month (this squadron is mapping areas of the SW and W Pacific); the
detachment of the 64th Troop Carrier Squadron, 403d Troop Carrier Group,
operating from Noemfoor Island returns to base on Biak Island with C-47s.
During Jan, the 8th Combat Cargo Squadron, 2d Combat Cargo Group, moves from
Finschhafen, New Guinea to Biak Island with C-46s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

02/1341Z JAN

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 08:50:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 2 JAN 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 2 JANUARY 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-26, Douglas Invader
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  C-46, Curtiss Commando
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 6 B-25s bomb Kentung, Burma. 30+
P-40s and P-51s on armed reconnaissance attack targets of opportunity, mainly
railroad traffic, at or near Lohochai, Pengpu, and Sinyang, China; and Man
Pong, Wanling, and Wan Pa-Hsa, Burma.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): Mission 24: 49 B-29s, operating from the
Calcutta, India area, are dispatched to attack a railroad bridge at Bangkok,
Thailand; 44 hit the primary target and 2 hit an alternate and a target of
opportunity; they claim 0-1-1 Japanese aircraft.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, troop concentrations and
supplies are attacked at Mabein, Panghka, Mansut, Letpangon, Loi-mun,
Panghkai, Namhsan, Thabeikkyin, and in the Lashio area by 66 P-47s and 13
P-38s. 546 transport sorties are flown to forward bases and frontline areas.
In India, the 13th Combat Cargo Squadron, 4th Combat Cargo Group, moves from
Sylhet to Agartala with C-46s.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 776: 1,011 bombers and 503 fighters are dispatched to attack
communications and tactical targets in W Germany visually and using Gee-H; 4
bombers and 3 fighters are lost:
  1. 299 B-17s are dispatched to hit the Gerolstein marshalling yard (74) and
communications centers are Mayen (68), Prum (34), Daun (34), Kyllburg (37)
and Bitburg (36); 3 others hit a target of opportunity; 70 B-17s are damaged.
Escorting are 128 of 130 P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA) and 1 damaged
beyond repair.
  2. 296 B-24s are dispatched to hit the Lutzel (65) and Guls (59) rail
bridges at Koblenz plus rail bridges at Irlich (59), Remagen (56) and Engers
(43); 3 others hit a target of opportunity; 1 B-24 is damaged beyond repair
and 26 damaged. The escort is 215 P-47s and P-51s without loss.
  3. 410 B-17s are sent to hit marshalling yards at Bad Kreuznach (73) and
Ehrang (66), a rail junction at Bad Kreuznach (67), a rail bridge at
Kaiserslautern (34) and tank concentrations at Lebach (128); targets of
opportunity are marshalling yards at St Wendel (11) and Trier (3) and other
(3); 4 B-17s are lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 36 damaged; 10 airmen are
KIA, 2 WIA and 37 MIA. Escort is provided by 125 of 127 P-51s; 2 P-51s are
lost (pilots MIA).
  4. 6 of 6 B-17s fly a screening force mission.
  5. 23 P-51s escort 6 F-5s and a Spitfire on a photo reconnaissance mission
over Germany.
  Mission 777: 2 B-17s and 6 B-24s drop leaflets in France and Germany during
the night.
  HQ VIII Air Force Services Command (Advanced) is established in Brussels,
Belgium, along with a "Far Shore" staff division; through this HQ, the
Commanding General Air Force Services Command can administer his command and
closely communicate with other commands operating on the Continent; this
arrangement functions until 29 Apr 45 when it is relieved by the 5th
Strategic Air Depot at Merville, France.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS

    First Tactical Air Force (Provisional): The 314th, 315th and 316th
Fighter Squadrons, 324th Fighter Group, move from Tavaux to Luneville, France
with P-47s.

    Ninth Air Force: 135 A-20s, A-26s, and B-26s hit rail bridges and
communications centers in Belgium and Germany; fighters escort the 9th
Bombardment Division, fly patrols, sweeps, and armed reconnaissance and
support the US III and VIII Corps in the Bastogne, Belgium area and the XII
Corps S of the Clerf River, Luxembourg, and W of the Sauer River in Germany.
The 72d Liaison Squadron, Ninth AF (attached to Sixth Army Group), moves
from Buhl to Epinal, France with L-5s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Bad weather restricts
operations to reconnaissance flights,

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, fighter-bombers
concentrate their effort in the W Po Valley and Brenner area, claiming large
number of rail lines cut and many vehicles and trains destroyed and damaged;
the Milan marshalling yard is hit hard and good coverage is achieved on
support targets in the US Fifth Army battle area; A-20s during the night of
1/2 Jan, continue intruder missions over the Po Valley; the 84th and 86th
Bombardment Squadrons (Light), 47th Bombardment Group (Light) move from
Rosignano Airfield to Grosseto with A-20s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 12 Guam Island-based B-24s hit Haha Jima Island
in the Bonin Islands while 14 others pound Iwo Jima Island; during the night
of 2/3 Jan, 10 B-24s, flying snooper strikes out of Guam, hit Iwo Jima over a
7-hour period.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: P-38s and A-20s hit
shipping in San Fernando harbor on Negros Island; on Luzon Island, B-24s
pound Clark Field and B-25s hit Batangas; airfields in the C Philippine
Islands area are bombed by B-25s, A-20s, and fighter-bombers while B-24s
strike Likanan on Mindanao Island; Menado on Celebes Island; and the Wasile
Bay area on Halmahera Island. Other FEAF aircraft make armed reconnaissance
and harassing strikes on targets of opportunity throughout the C Philippine
Islands area and the Netherlands East Indies. The 8th Fighter Squadron, 49th
Fighter Group, moves from Tacloban, Leyte Island to San Jose, Mindoro Island
with P-38s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

02/1351Z JAN

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 08:59:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 3 JAN 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 3 JANUARY 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  UC-64, Noorduyn Norseman
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  L-1, Stinson Vigilant
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): B-25s fly coverage for a naval force over the
Kurile Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 10 P-51s hit the airfield
at Tsinan, claiming 13 aircraft destroyed; 6 P-51s claim several river
steamers sunk in the Hankow-Chiuchiang area while 6 others damage bridges at
Chinchengchiang. 20+ other P-40s, P-51s, and P-47s on armed reconnaissance
attack various targets of opportunity in the Wuchang-Hankow and Shwangliu,
China areas, and at Namtao, S and SW of Man Pong, and W of Wanling, Burma.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 10 B-25s, supported by 12
P-47s, attack the airfield at Aungban; troop concentrations and supply and
ammunition dumps are pounded at several locations, including Man Kun, Loi
Hkam,  Ngawnga, Chakau, Mulaw, and Man Pwe. 575 transport flights are
completed to forward areas; the 115th Liaison Squadron, Tenth AF [attached to
1st Liaison Group (Provisional)], based at Ledo, India, sends a detachment to
operate from Myitkyina with L-1s and L-5s; the 165th Liaison Squadron
(Commando), 1st Air Commando Group, based at Kawlin, sends a detachment to
operate from Inbaung with UC-64s and L-5s.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 778: 1,168 bombers and 589
fighters are dispatched to attack rail and communications targets in W
Germany; all are PFF attacks using H2X, Gee-H and Micro H; they claim 4-0-0
Luftwaffe aircraft; 4 fighters are lost:
  1. 417 B-17s are sent to hit marshalling yards at Fulda (141) and
Aschaffenburg (124) and communications centers at Gemund (38) and Schleiden
(36); the Mosel marshalling yard at Koblenz, a secondary target, is hit by 36
bombers; targets of opportunity are the Pforzheim marshalling yard (25) and
other (3); 1 B-17 is damaged; 2 airmen are WIA. Escort is provided by 219 of
227 P-51s; they claim 4-0-0 aircraft; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA) and 4
damaged beyond repair.
  2. 325 B-24s are dispatched to hit marshalling yards at Altstadt (31),
Homburg (41), Zweibrucken (55), Neunkirchen (84), Landau (59) and the
Pirmasens railhead (41); 2 B-24s are damaged beyond repair and 1 damaged.
Escorting are 143 of 148 P-51s.
  3. 421 B-17s are sent to hit the Hermulheim W (72) and E (36) marshalling
yards, a communications center at St Vith, Belgium (98), and rail junctions
at Mondrath (36) and Horrem (1); 100 B-24s hit the secondary target, Cologne;
targets of opportunity are Rheydt (10) and other (3); 11 B-17s are damaged.
The escort is 145 of 150 P-51s; 3 P-51s are lost (pilots MIA).
  4. 32 of 32 P-51s fly a scouting mission.
  5. 32 of 32 P-51s escort 5 F-5s on a photo reconnaissance over Germany.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): All combat operations are cancelled
because of weather.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Bad weather curtails operations
for the fifth successive day. P-38s fly photo and weather reconnaissance
missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers score
direct hits on 2 railroad bridges at Lavis and fly good coverage of the
Chiusaforte, Canale d'Isonzo, and Padua railroad bridges; fighter-bombers hit
a large number of communications targets (mainly railroad targets) in the Po
Valley which is also subjected to intruder missions during the night of 2/3
Jan, when pontoon bridges, vehicles, and Ghedi Airfield are hit.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 22 B-24s from Saipan Island bomb Iwo Jima
Island. 3 from Guam Island, on armed reconnaissance, hit Marcus Island in the
North Pacific. During a 6-hour period on the night of 3/4 Jan, 10 B-24s from
Guam hit Iwo Jima.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): Mission 17: 97 Mariana Island-based B-29s are
sent to bomb docks and urban areas of Nagoya, Japan; 57 hit the primary
target and 21 others bomb alternates and targets of opportunity; Japanese
fighters fly 300+ attacks on the B-29s and 5 are lost; B-29 gunners claim
14-14-20 Japanese aircraft.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s pound Clark
Field and the Mabalacat areas on Luzon Island. B-25s hit 5 airfields in the C
Philippine Islands while B-24s bomb 2 on Mindanao Island. B-24s attack
the Djailolo supply area on Halmahera Island, while B-25s bomb Namlea
Airfield on Buru Island. Numerous other FEAF aircraft on armed
reconnaissance, harassing raids, and light strikes attack a vast variety of
targets throughout the Netherlands East Indies and Philippine Islands. The
25th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 6th Photographic Reconnaissance
Group, moves from Dulag, Leyte Island to San Jose, Mindoro Island, Philippine
Islands with F-5s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

02/1359Z JAN

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 06:08:28 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 03-JAN-1945

On 03-JAN-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The 1st Army starts a counteroffensive to reduce the German
salient in the Ardennes. The VII Corps attacks southeast towards
Houffalize. The 2nd Armoured Division captures Trinal, Magoster, positions
in Bois de Tave, Freineux, Le Batty and positions near Belle Haie. The 3rd
Armoured Division takes Malempre and Floret and continues southeast on the
Lierneux road to Groumont Creek. The 75th Division continues mopping up
south of Sadzot. The 82nd Airborne Division pushes southeast improving its
positions. As a diversion, the 30th Division pushes small forces south of
Malmedy and then withdraws them as planned.

In the 3rd Army sector, units of the 87th Division are temporarily
surrounded in woods east of St Hubert. The 17th Airborne Division attacks
north late in the day in an area 5 miles northwest of Bastogne. Northeast
of Bastogne, the 101st Airborne Division are clearing Bois Jacques. Units
of the 4th Armoured Division continue to defend the corridor into Bastogne.
The 6th Armoured Division repels German thrusts west of Michamps. The 35th
Division gains about two thirds of Lutrebois. The 26th Division continues
its attack in the region north of Mecher-Dunkrodt and Kaundorf.

In the 7th Army sector, the XV Corps withstands further pressure on the
left and slightly improves its position. The Germans deepen their
penetration at the boundary between the 44th and 100th Division and enter
Aachen, from which they are subsequently ousted in a counterattack. In the
VI Corps area, the Germans expand the Bitche salient, entering Wingen and
Philippsbourg. The 45th Division withstands pressure against
Reipertsweiler, northwest of Wingen and contain attacks in the
Sarreinsberg-Meisenthal area.

Italian Front - In the Canadian I Corps area, the 5th Armoured Division
reaches Canale di Bonifica Destra del Reno as it continues northward. The
1st Division begins an attack to clear an enemy pocket betwen it and the
British IV Corps in the Cotignola area, crossing the Naviglio Canal and
taking Granarolo. In the V Corps area, elements of the 56th Division and
7th Armoured Brigade push northward from Felisio, clearing the Senio bank
as far north as S. Severo.

Philippines - On Mindoro, a guerrilla force of about 70 unsuccessfully
attack the Japanese at Pinamalayan.

Burma - The XV Corps invades Akyab Island on the Arakan coast. The British
2nd Division occupies Ye-u.

Formoso - In preparation for the invasion of Luzon, carrier planes from the
3rd Fleet begin attacks aimed primarily against Japanese aircraft and
shipping at Formosa. A secondary effort is also made against the Ryukyus
and Pescadores. Bad weather severly limits the scope of operations. The
escort carrier Sargent Bay is damaged in a collision.

China - On the Salween front, the Chinese 9th Division breaks into Wanting
at the Sino-Burmese border, but is driven out in a night counterattack.

Army & Navy
-----------
Ploesti Attack Losses Reported - Lt. Gen. Ira C. Eaker, commander of the
Mediterranean Allied Air Forces, has revealed that more than 2,200 airmen,
mostly Americans, are missing from the series of attacks made on Rumania's
Ploesti oil fields last year. The U.S. 15th Air Forces lost 270 planes in
the attacks.

Plane Production - The War Production Board's year-end report says 96,369
aircraft were built in 1944.

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                Cary, North Carolina                 [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 09:21:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Largest AAF Strike

 >A curious question:  How does this day's events rank "all time."  Does
 >the USAAF/USAF have days since that exceed this strike?  Do other air
 >forces?  In ignorance, I'd venture nearly 3,000 aircraft would top all.
 >
 >On Fri, 23 Dec 1994, mc killop wrote:
 >
 >> For those of you who do not read my USAAF Combat Chronology, today, 24 Dec
 >> 44, the USAAF flew it's largest air strike of WWII; the Eighth Air Force,
 >> one of two USAAF air forces in W Europe and one of four in Europe,
 >> dispatched 2,899 aircraft to attack targets in W Germany.  The details
 >> are:

I did not say "all time;"  I said that "the USAAF flew it's largest air
strike of WORLD WAR II."
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you only consider aircraft, I doubt if there has been a larger strike
since.  Today, the entire US Air Force only has about 6,000 aircraft and that
includes bombers, cargo aircraft, fighters, recon, trainers, etc.  ON this
date in history, one air force (the Eighth) flew almost 2,900 sorties; the
tactical air force in W Europe (the Ninth), flew 1,500+ sorties.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 07:32:59 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TAC: Battle of the Bulge

>From:         "SGM Robert S. Rush" <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      Re: TAC: Battle of the Bulge
>To:           Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>
>

[...]
>
>Point 2 is the rationale Dupuy, in Hitler's Last Gamble, gives for Sibert
>the 12th Army Group intelligence officer discounting the warning signs
[...]
>By the way, has anyone else read Dupuy's book.  Would like your comments.
>Parts are pretty good, but am having trouble with his bibliography. (Can't
>find where he is getting some of his assertions)

I have a book on my to read list called _Hitler's Last Gamble, The
Battle of the Bulge_, by Jacques Nobecourt (accent on the e).  Are Dupuy
and Nobecurt one and the same or do we have two authors and identical
book titles?

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 11:18:18 EST
From:    "SGM Robert S. Rush" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TAC: Battle of the Bulge

John,
It appears there are two authors with the same main title.  The
complete title for Dupuy's book is Hitler's Last Gamble, The Battle
of the Bulge, December 1944-January 1945, copyright 1994 by HarperCollins

Nothing like trying to confuse the reading public :)

Rob

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 10:51:04 MST
From:    Eric Pass <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Largest AAF Strike

Jack McKillop (in his excellent chronology of the USAAF) notes:

JK> ON this date in history, one air force (the Eighth) flew almost
JK> 2,900 sorties; the tactical air force in W Europe (the Ninth),
JK> flew 1,500+ sorties.

The question was raised about how this might compare in the
sense of largest number of sorties (daily( of all time).

Perhaps someone could contrast this this with say, the number of
sorties flown the first night of desert Storm?  This would provide
a basis for comparison.  Anyone have the numbers handy?

Eric ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 14:15:00 -0600
From:    George Bauer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Aol And Delphi

I am considering America On Line and Delphi for internet access.
But I do not like giving them my credit card number.  Any advice?
Any experiences you can tell me, either good or bad?

Reply privately if you prefer.
         [email-masked]

 * RoboBOARD/FX 1.04

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 23:03:50 -0500
From:    "Arthur D. Venzin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: 11th armored div.

well here I go again. Please forgive me ... i'm trying!!!
 0 S~& @-#Y1~.&*jJ
 0 S~& @-#Y1~.&*jJ
 > ETransfer aborted by remote R

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 23:10:04 -0500
From:    "Arthur D. Venzin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 11th armored div.

sorry about that

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 2 Jan 1995 20:20:42 -0800
From:    Jaimie Crafton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Aol And Delphi

You wrote:

>
>I am considering America On Line and Delphi for internet access.
>But I do not like giving them my credit card number.  Any advice?
>Any experiences you can tell me, either good or bad?
>
>Reply privately if you prefer.
>         [email-masked]
>
> * RoboBOARD/FX 1.04
>
>

I've been a past subscriber of most all the on-line services including a
couple of BBS's and unfortunately, billing by credit card has been the
only means of payment provided.  Also, unless you have specific needs
from the above mentioned services other than an internet access, I would
consider looking into a more economical internet provider.  There are
alot of them out there.  I'm presently using netcom, which provides full
internet access for under $20/month for 40 hours prime time, unlimited
off time (which includes weekends).

Hope this helps.

Jaimie

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 1 Jan 1995 to 2 Jan 1995
***********************************************