Subject: WWII-L Digest - 27 Jan 1995 to 28 Jan 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 00:01:02 -0500

There are 21 messages totalling 1382 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Arizona at Pearl Harbor
  2. Rocket Fighter (2)
  3. STUFF IN BOXES
  4. INF: USN Chronology 01-28-95
  5. ATTEMPTED JAPANESE OFFICERS' COUP
  6. INF: 50 Years Ago - 29-JAN-1945 (3)
  7. QUERY: British Imperial War Museum
  8. INF: Commandant at Auschwitz?
  9. Knight's Cross and higher
 10. Holzinger
 11. Your father's history
 12. P-51s to Russia?
 13. [INF] USAAF 28 JAN 45
 14. [INF] USAAF 29 JAN 45
 15. [INF] 30 JAN 45
 16. Military aerobatic teams
 17. Airshows in NE USA
 18. Request

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 27 Jan 1995 19:10:54 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Arizona at Pearl Harbor

Sorry for delay inresponding to this note, but the computer system at UH
where I get my e-mail thru has been out for a week.

anyway,  the footage of the Arizona blowing up is real!!  I repeat, it is
real footage and not from Hollywood.

On the morning of December 7th, 1941, a Navy Doctor on the hospital ship
Solace got upearly.  He had his new Browning movie camera and wanted to
film colors that morning (which of course traditionally goes at 0800).
Now think about how many people owned cameras in 1941, let alone a
personal movie camera.

The Solace was anchored off the north end of Ford Island.  To the
southeast about 300 yards was the Arizona.

The commander (I can't recall his name at the moment & I am at home) was
up on deck waiting for colors, when the attack started at 0755.  He began
filming.  He just happened to be filming the Arizona, when in the film
you see a arm and hand in front of him pointing to the planes over the
Arizona, and then the explosion as her forward magazines blew.  This part
is about an 8 second clip.  It is spectaculor as you watch the explosion,
the expanding flames engulfing the ship, the billowing of the smoke.
When you play the film in slow you can see the bomb dropping.

This film clip off course is used in the movie we show at the USS Arizona
Memorial.

the original film is in the National Archives.

For many years, the film negative had been copied backwards and most of
the films that have used it, and still photos made from it are
reversed.  When viewed correctly, you are looking at the starboard side
of the Arizona.  Her bow to the right, stern to the left.  You are
looking at her from the Ford Island side.  Photos taken of her from the
harbor side would show the Vesstel tied up along side her (until later in
the attack when the Vesstel got underway).

I just pulled out my copy of *Day of Infamy* by Walter Lord (1991
reprint) which  many of you may have.  It has one of the photos made from
the movie film of the exploding Arizona.  Its captioned is mislabeled in
this book as it says it is eight days later, which it is not, but the
photo is in the correct position.

Here we go, I just found the photographers name, I do have it at home.
Captain Eric Haakensen, a U.S. Navy Physician.  It was a 3" by 5" movie
strip, about 400 pictures taken at the rate of 24 per second.  About 7
seconds records the Arizona explosion.

This sequence is depicted in a small paper book, *USS Arizona. Ship's
Data.  A Photographic History.*  Arizona Memorial Museum Association
(1978).  It can be order from our book store for $3.95 plus ship.
(sorry, not trying to advertise).

Hope this helps.

John Ford did make a lot of Hollywood footage of the attack on Pearl
Harbor in the early stage of the war and that has been used and reused
lots.  The film Tora, Tora, Tora, made some more.  Mixed in with Ford's
is some battle footage.

The present film (about 2 years old) that we show at the Arizona Memorial
only uses actual footage or still shots.  When the real thing did not
exist,then  we used paintings.  This makes it very clear and distinct
when actual film or phots is not being used.  The previous film used much
of the Hollywood, as do many of the "documentaries" that are sold.

Aloha,

Jim

PS, if there are any more questions for me, get them in quick as I leave
in a week for Alaska  (gosh what a time of the year to leave Hawaii for
Alaska.. need head examined..  I just spent a fortune on clothes that
could have gone for books!)

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
Cultural Resource Manager
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS       (808) 422-2771  extension 130
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 01:15:17 -0500
From:    chris garcia <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Rocket Fighter

On Fri, 27 Jan 1995, YES wrote:

> No...It is Rocket Fighter and is about the Komet...BTW someone else had
> included it in their posting last night also Rudel in Stuka Pilot, someone
> commented "if 65% is true then he must have been one of the greatest" or
> something to that effect... I beleive he was awarded the Knights Cross with
> diamonds - one of only about 24 but check me on that...If so I'd tend to
> beleive the 65%.
>
Hans Rudel was awared the GOLD Knight's Cross With Oak Leaves Swords and
Diamonds, making him the most highly decorated pilot or anything else of
the German military in WWII.  His book is very proud, and not an easy
read compared to Galland and Steinhoff's fine war memoirs.  Rudel made
his main claim to fame as a tank killer on the eastern front.  I believe
he accounted for around 500 0r 600 russian tanks.  Something like that.
Although some pilots like Steinhoff became skeptical and then cynical
about Nazi politics, and others like Wolfgang Spate preferred to leave
politics for quieter days, Rudel was a real wild eyed Nazi, right out of
Indiana Jones.  He survived the war, and moved to Argentina where he
worked with neo-Nazi groups.  He idolized Hitlerto the end of his days.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 03:35:43 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: STUFF IN BOXES

Thanks for the plug, Mike. That was a good series and sold well. I know that
Okinawa sold near 500K copies, but in the field of paperbacks, your title has
to sell in the millions before you can make any money. Given the following the
series had, I have no idea why Ballantine ended it. I would think that with the
current commemoration of the 50th anniversary of WWII, those titles would sell
well today. I also wrote a biography of Admiral Halsey for the series.
Incidentally, "Okinawa" was translated into French, Dutch, Italian, and
Japanese. I would hold on to the titles you have, Mike. They may be worth
something in the future, like the "Big Little Books" of my younger days, or the
pulps, such as "Flying Aces of World war I," "The Shadow," and of course "Doc
Savage." If I had kept all the copies I bought, I could sell them at outrageous
prices today to collectors. But who knows? Regards, Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 04:00:17 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 01-28-95

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1945
01/28 Sun. Carrier ANTIETAM (CV-36), is commissioned at Philadelphia,
           Pa.
            United States naval vessel sunk:
             PT-338, by grounding, off Luzon, P. I.,
              12 d. 06'N., 121 d. 23'E.;
              sunk by United States forces.
            Japanese naval vessel sunk:
             Frigate KUME, by submarine SPADEFISH (SS-411), Yellow
              Sea,
              33 d. 56'N., 123 d. 06'E,

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: "Larry W. Jewell" <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 08:40:54 +0100
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: ATTEMPTED JAPANESE OFFICERS' COUP

  FOR MIKE YAKLICH
  Thanks for the first episode of the Japanese surrender.  Look
forward to reading more.
  Regards, John Ausland/Oslo Norway

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 10:43:49 EST
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 29-JAN-1945

On 29-JAN-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the U.S. 1st Army sector, the 1st Division captures
Buellingen and patrols toward Muerringen and Honsfeld. Elements of the 82nd
Airborne take Wereth, Holzheim and Medendorf. The 3rd Army launches an
offensive to penetrate the West Wall and to protect the 1st Armies right
flank. The 87th Division takes Schlierbach and Setz. The 4th Division
drives across the Our River and advances into Elcherath. The 90th Division
crosses the Our and the German border. In the French 1st Army sector, the
3rd Division crosses the Canal de Colmar and reaches Bischwihr.

Eastern Front - The Germans continue a strong defense of Koenigsberg and
Elbing in East Prussia. The 1st White Russsian Front invades Pomerania,
taking the German towns of Schoenlanke and Woldenberg. In the Carpathian
sector, the 4th Ukraine Front gains Nowy Targ, on the south border of
Poland.

The Homefront
-------------
1944 Strike Record - During 1944, the United States had 5,000 strikes and
lockouts involving 2,100,000 workers and 8,500,000 man-days of idleness,
the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.

Feb. Tire Rationing - The Office of Price Administration has set the Feb.
civilian quote of rationed tires for automobiles at 1,600,000, a reduction
of 200,000 from the January figure.

Gloria Swanson Marries - Actress Gloria Swanson has married George W.
Davey, a retired business man, in Union City, N.J. It is her fifth
marriage.

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           | [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 | http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 14:35:29 -0500
From:    Henry Herz <[email-masked]>
Subject: QUERY: British Imperial War Museum

My apologies for asking this question a second time, but my email has been
acting strangely for a month.

Does anyone have any contacts at the British Imperial War Museum (name, phone or
email)?  Thanks.

-Henry

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 13:26:08 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: 50 Years Ago - 29-JAN-1945

At 10:43 AM 1/28/95, John Davis wrote:
>On 29-JAN-1945, the following occurred -
[..]

>The Homefront
>-------------
>1944 Strike Record - During 1944, the United States had 5,000 strikes and
>lockouts involving 2,100,000 workers and 8,500,000 man-days of idleness,
>the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.
>
>Feb. Tire Rationing - The Office of Price Administration has set the Feb.
>civilian quote of rationed tires for automobiles at 1,600,000, a reduction
>of 200,000 from the January figure.
>
>Gloria Swanson Marries - Actress Gloria Swanson has married George W.
>Davey, a retired business man, in Union City, N.J. It is her fifth
>marriage.

John,
I love these, particularly the Homefront news.  Regarding the strike, maybe
we weren't all one big happy family pulling together to win the war?  BTW,
did you ever find out who the sub captain was in the prison camp?

John Riegsecker                                 (206) 756-3566
Dept of Mathematics and Computer Science        [email-masked]
University of Puget Sound

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 16:25:40 EST
From:    William Lippert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Rocket Fighter

On Sat, 28 Jan 1995 01:15:17 -0500 chris garcia said:
>>
>Hans Rudel was awared the GOLD Knight's Cross With Oak Leaves Swords and
>Diamonds, making him the most highly decorated pilot or anything else of
>the German military in WWII.  His book is very proud, and not an easy
>read compared to Galland and Steinhoff's fine war memoirs.  Rudel made
>his main claim to fame as a tank killer on the eastern front.  I believe
>he accounted for around 500 0r 600 russian tanks.  Something like that.
>Although some pilots like Steinhoff became skeptical and then cynical
>about Nazi politics, and others like Wolfgang Spate preferred to leave
>politics for quieter days, Rudel was a real wild eyed Nazi, right out of
>Indiana Jones.  He survived the war, and moved to Argentina where he
>worked with neo-Nazi groups.  He idolized Hitlerto the end of his days.

      You say that Hans Rudel was the most decorated German - wasn't
Reinhard Heydrich the recipient (posthumous) of the German Order?
Is this higher than the Gold Knight's Cross?  BTW, can you give me
some details of the Gold KC?  I've never heard of it.  Thanks

William Lippert
The American University

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 14:31:56 -0800
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: Commandant at Auschwitz?

Mike...
        Another telling document published in Polabd (in English) is:

        AMIDST A NIGHTMARE OF CRIME: Manuscripts of members of Sonderkommando

        Pubications Of State Museum at Oswiecim, 1973.

It makes gim reading, a painful testament of the horrors of Auschwitz.
Transcripts of five manuscripts found during the years 1945-1962 buried
and unearthed here and there around the site of Birkenau. Each was hand
written by prisoners who had to work in the Sonderkommando, tending gas
chambers and crematoria. The mss. were thus written by eye-witnesses of
the mass extermination conducted by the Germans at Birkenau. Except for
one manuscript written in French, the remainder were writen in Yiddish.
        They authentically describe the process of extermination, and the
life and behavious of people put into Auschwitz death-camp.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 22:35:56 +0000
From:    Gudmundur Helgason <[email-masked]>
Subject: Knight's Cross and higher

>
> On Sat, 28 Jan 1995 01:15:17 -0500 chris garcia said:
> >>
> >Hans Rudel was awared the GOLD Knight's Cross With Oak Leaves Swords and
> >Diamonds, making him the most highly decorated pilot or anything else of
> >the German military in WWII.  His book is very proud, and not an easy
> >read compared to Galland and Steinhoff's fine war memoirs.  Rudel made
> >his main claim to fame as a tank killer on the eastern front.  I believe
> >he accounted for around 500 0r 600 russian tanks.  Something like that.
> >Although some pilots like Steinhoff became skeptical and then cynical
> >about Nazi politics, and others like Wolfgang Spate preferred to leave
> >politics for quieter days, Rudel was a real wild eyed Nazi, right out of
> >Indiana Jones.  He survived the war, and moved to Argentina where he
> >worked with neo-Nazi groups.  He idolized Hitlerto the end of his days.
>
>
>       You say that Hans Rudel was the most decorated German - wasn't
> Reinhard Heydrich the recipient (posthumous) of the German Order?
> Is this higher than the Gold Knight's Cross?  BTW, can you give me
> some details of the Gold KC?  I've never heard of it.  Thanks
>
> William Lippert
> The American University
>
There was a single-copy Great Cross of the Iron Cross which was only
awarded to one person, Goering. My sources say that the Iron Cross had
eight classes during the Reich but they do not mention the Gold Cross.

Hans Rudel was awarded his award (whatever it was called) and it was
made specially for him (hadnt been designed before into the Iron Cross
class list).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gudmundur J. Helgason                              e-mail: [email-masked]
Olduslod 41                                              phone: (354)-5655270
220 Hafnarfjordur                                               (354)-5652270
ICELAND                                             Maintainer of ICELAND.FAQ
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 17:42:56 EST
From:    Charles Mattocks <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Holzinger

Terry--

Sorry for posting this to the list, lost Terry Moore's address.  I have
everything come in digest since I belong to several list (Roots-l posting the
most).

You posted (friday i think) a message to the list on info on a Holzinger, and
what appears to be his decorations and the dates awarded.

In this post you said "Here goes with some more info on Holzinger:"

If you would, because I seem to have come in the middle of this, send me the
info before this and keep me posted on this in the future?

Thanks,

Chip
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 21:03:27 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Your father's history

John, I thought that I would pop in here as I had a thought about your father's
history. I asked our personal papers curator if she had anything under the name
"Aasland," and then I remembered you had written that he changed it to Ausland
after WWI, and so I will recheck the collection to see if we have anything
under that name. Regards, ben

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 21:37:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: P-51s to Russia?

 >Thanks for responding John, it was I who posed the original question.
 >I'll see if I can find the book you recommended.  Looks like the US
 >exported their least-advanced technologies.  The 55 P-47s look
 >outof-place any special footnotes about them?
 >
 >Eric ([email-masked])

I have checked two sources on the subject of Jugs to the USSR.  The
first states that 203 P-47D-22 and -27-RE Jugs were sent to the
USSR; the second source states that 103 razorbacks, i.e,
P-47D-22-RE's, and 100 bubble canopy Jugs, i.e., P-47D-27-RE's, were
sent to the Soviet Union.  Since there was 850 P-47D-22-RE's and 611
P-47D-27-RE's produced, I could believe these figures.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 22:03:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 28 JAN 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SUNDAY, 28 JANUARY 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 23 P-40s and P-51s attack
railway and river traffic at Wuhu, Sinyang, and Linfen, in the Sinsiang-
Hantan area, between Loyang and Sinyang, and along the Pinghan (Hankow-
Peking) railroad.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 40 fighter-bombers support
ground forces SE of Banwe, E of Molo, S of Molo Ywama, and near Namhkam; 80
fighter-bombers hit troop concentrations, supply areas, and enemy movement
and active areas at or near Namsangsok, Namlan, Pangmakmo, Wengnan, Kutkai,
and Mu-lwat. Again 500+ sorties are flown to forward areas by transports. The
first convoy from Ledo, India crosses the Chinese border heading for Kunming,
China.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 809: With the prospect of improved weather over Germany, 1,006
bombers and 249 fighters are dispatched to hit marshalling yards, bridges and
benzol plants at Dortmund; 10 bombers are lost:
  1. 225 B-24s are sent to hit oil targets at Kaiserstuhl (115) and Gneisenau
(58); targets of opportunity are Lippstadt (9), Neheim (5) and other (11);
bombing is by Gee-H; 7 B-24s are lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 97 damaged;
2 airmen are KIA, 7 WIA and 71 MIA. Escorting are 68 of 77 P-51s.
  2. 421 B-17s are sent to hit the Gremberg marshalling yard at Cologne (273)
and the Hohenzollern Bridge at Cologne (69); secondary targets are Gutersloh
(31) and Bielefeld (7); 3 others hit a target of opportunity; Gee-H and H2X
radar are used to bomb; 3 B-17s are lost and 172 damaged; 4 airmen are WIA
and 35 MIA. The escort is 69 of 76 P-51s.
  3. 360 B-17s are dispatched to hit the Hohenbudberg marshalling yard (169)
and Rheinhausen Bridge at Duisburg (80); 10 hit the secondary, the highway
bridge at Duisburg; targets of opportunity are Friemersheim (13) and other
(2); some targets are hit visually while others are hit using Micro H; 2
B-17s are damaged beyond repair and 195 damaged; 14 airmen are KIA and 20
WIA. 35 of 38 P-51s escort the B-17s.
  4. 40 P-51s fly a sweep of the tactical area escorting Ninth AF B-26s.
  5. 13 of 18 P-51s fly a scouting mission.
  Mission 810: 2 B-17s and 6 B-24s drop leaflets in the Netherlands,
Luxembourg and Germany during the night.
  The 328th, 486th and 487th Fighter Squadrons, 352d Fighter Group, move from
Bodney, England to Chievres, Belgium with P-51s (detachments have been
operating from Asch, Belgium since 23 Dec 44).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In Germany, 95 9th Bombardment
Division B-26s hit a communications center at Mayen, rail bridges and an
overpass at Eller, Sinzig, Remagen, and Kaiserslautern, targets of
opportunity in W Germany, and fly cover for US First Army forces on the
frontline in the Monschau-Butgenbach area.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Continued bad weather (for the
seventh successive day) restricts operations to 3 weather reconnaissance
flights.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, weather again hampers
operations; B-25s have good results on railroad bridges at Lavis and San
Michele all'Adige; XXII Tactical Air Command aircraft operate effectively
against communications and transport targets throughout N Italy including at
Milan, Pavia, Cremona, Nervesa della Battaglia, Treviso, Genoa, Padua, and
the Lake Maggiore areas.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 10 B-24s from Guam Island and 10 from Saipan
Island bomb airfields on Iwo Jima Island; 10 more follow during the night of
28/29 Jan with single-bomber harassment raids on the airfields. In the Palau
Islands, 2 B-24s from Angaur Island bomb Arakabesan Island.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s, B-25s, A-20s
and fighter-bombers concentrate attacks on Luzon Island, the heaviest tonnage
(from B-24s) falling on Corregidor Island in Manila Bay; Cavite and targets
between Manila and Subic Bay, including Laoag Airfield, are also hit; A-20s
concentrate on targets in the Aparri-Gattaran area while fighter-bombers and
A-20s hit airfields in the Cagayan Valley and troops, trucks, and roads in
the San Felipe and Talavera areas. HQ 91st Photographic Wing (Reconnaissance)
moves from Leyte Island to Mindoro Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------
29/0301Z JAN

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 22:15:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 29 JAN 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 29 JANUARY 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-26, Douglas Invader
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, Pailochi Airfield, river
and road shipping, troops, gun positions, buildings, and other targets of
opportunity are attacked at Kweiyi, Hankow, Sinyang and Chihkiang, between
Hengshan and Siangtan, between Wuhu and Anking, N of Hengyang, and E and S of
Yutze.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 13 B-25s knock out road
bridges at Loi-leng and Tonglau and hit several nearby targets of
opportunity; 26 P-47s hit troop positions in the Namhkai area; 11 P-38s and
16 P-47s attack airfields at Aungban and Heho; 8 P-47s support ground forces
near Banwe; 70 P-47s and P-38s pound troop concentrations and supplies at
Panglong, Tangyan, Wengnan, Homang, Mong Long, Namtu, Mongyin, Mong Yang, and
Namhsam. Largescale transport operations continue. The 1st Combat Cargo
Squadron, 1st Combat Cargo Group, moves from Tsuyung to Hsinching, China with
C-47s.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 811: 1,158 bombers and 700 fighters are dispatched to hit
industrial plants at Kassel and rail targets in C Germany; the attacks were
made using H2X radar; they claim 6-0-2 Luftwaffe aircraft; 1 B-24 and 2 P-51s
are lost:
  1. 415 B-17s are sent to hit rail centers at Niederlahnstein (110) and
Siegen (144); 104 hit the secondary, the Mosel marshalling yard at Koblenz;
37 hit the marshalling yard at Bad Kreuznach, a target of opportunity; 4
B-17s are damaged beyond repair and 7 damaged. Escorting are 235 of 254
P-51s; they claim 1-0-1 aircraft; 1 P-51 is lost and 1 damaged beyond repair;
1 pilot is KIA.
  2. 386 B-17s are dispatched to hit the Henschel oil plant at Kassel (93);
154 hit the secondary, the Kassel marshalling yard; targets of opportunity
are the Bielefeld marshalling yard (76), Koblenz (35) and other (2); 2 B-17s
are damaged beyond repair and 28 damaged; 18 airmen are KIA and 1 WIA. The
escort is 207 of 224 P-51s; they claim 4-0-1 aircraft; 1 P-51 is damaged
beyond repair.
  3. 357 B-24s dispatched hit secondary targets, the marshalling yards at
Munster (206) and Hamm (124); 9 others hit the Soest marshalling yard, a
target of opportunity; 1 B-24 is lost and 18 damaged; 9 airmen are MIA. 173
P-47s and P-51s escort; they claim 1-0-0 aircraft on the ground; 1 P-51 is
lost (pilot MIA).
  4. 23 of 27 P-51s fly a scouting mission without loss.
  Mission 812: 1 B-17 and 8 B-24s drop leaflets in Germany and the
Netherlands during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS

    First Tactical Air Force (Provisional): Brigadier General Glenn O Barcus
becomes Commanding General XII Tactical Air Command.

    Ninth Air Force: 364 A-20s, B-26s, and A-26s bomb rail bridges, supply
and communications centers, and defended areas in W Germany; fighters escort
the bombers, fly armed reconnaissance and patrols and support US Third Army
units at points along the frontlines from S of Saint-Vith, Belgium to the
bridgehead area around Saarlautern, Germany.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Weather prevents bombing
operations for the eighth consecutive day; P-38s fly photo and weather
reconnaissance missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, due to high winds and
generally bad weather, medium bombers successfully bomb only 2 targets, the
railway bridges at Calliano and Rovereto, and attack with less success
bridges at Motta di Livenza, Lavis, Mantua, and Chiusaforte, and railway
station at Lavis; XXII Tactical Air Command fighters and fighter-bombers
operate primarily against communications throughout the Po Valley; results
are generally good and a bridge at Nervesa della Battaglia is cut; bridges or
their approaches at Cittadella, Santa Margherita d'Adige and Cismon del
Grappa are damaged along with a variety of targets. During the night of 28/29
Jan, A-20s hit rail facilities, pontoon bridge, lights, and motor transport
at nearly 50 locations in the Po Valley.  The 5th Photographic Reconnaissance
Squadron, 3d Photographic Group (Reconnaissance), based at Peretola Airfield,
Florence with F-5s, sends a flight to operate from Pisa.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 19 Guam Island-based B-24s bomb Iwo Jima Island
airfields. 2 from Saipan Island, on an armed reconnaissance flight, bomb
Marcus Island in the N Pacific. In the Palau Islands, 1 B-24 from Angaur
Island bombs Arakabesan Island. During the night of 29/30 Jan, 5 B-24s from
Saipan continue harassment raids on Iwo Jima airfields.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): Mission 25: 28 of 33 Mariana Islands based
B-29s strike at 2 airfields on Iwo Jima Island without loss.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: Heavy B-24 daylight
raids concentrate on the Heito airfield area of Formosa and Corregidor Island
in Manila Bay while B-25s bomb nearby Cabcaben, Luzon Island. On Luzon,
fighter-bombers and A-20s hit targets of opportunity from Aparri to Echague;
further S fighters hit gun positions in the Batangas and Verde Islands areas;
A-20s support ground forces inland from Lingayen by hitting the Carranglen
road network; others hit Talavera and Carabao. HQ 38th Bombardment Group
(Medium) and the 822d Bombardment Squadron (Medium), move from Morotai Island
to Lingayen, Luzon with B-25s. The 319th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 90th
Bombardment Group (Heavy), moves from Biak Island to San Jose, Mindoro Island
with B-24s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

29/0314Z JAN

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 22:22:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] 30 JAN 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 30 JANUARY 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 27 B-24s, escorted by 32
P-40s and P-51s, bomb Hankow; 8 P-51s hit targets of opportunity in the areas
around Loyang, Yuncheng, and Sinantien; the detachment of the 16th Fighter
Squadron, 51st Fighter Group, at Kwanghan with P-51s returns to base at
Chengkung (another detachment is at Laohokow).

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 65 fighter-bombers support
ground forces in the Banwe, Yenya-u, Hsenwi, Molo, and Mongmit areas; 5
others knock out a bridge E of Mong Long; 100+ fighter-bombers attack troops,
supplies, artillery, and communications targets at several locations
including Kutkai, Bawgyo, Hamn gai, Namhsan, Naleng, Pangsari, Hsenwi, and
Wengnan. Transports again fly 500+ sorties to forward areas. HQ 1st Combat
Cargo Group moves from Tsuyung, China to Dohazari, India. The detachment of
the 317th Troop Carrier Squadron (Commando), 2d Air Commando Group, operating
from Bikram, India with C-47s, returns to base at Kalaikunda, India. The
detachment of the 492d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 7th Bombardment Group
(Heavy), at Luliang, China ferrying gasoline to Suichwan, China in B-24s,
returns to base at Madhaiganij, India.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): Weather cancels bomber operations.
Fighters fly nightfighter and intruder reconnaissance missions; fighter cover
for the US 5th Armored Division W of Gemund, Germany is recalled during the
day. HQ 365th Fighter Group and the 386th Fighter Squadron move from Metz,
France to Juzaine Airfield, Florennes, Belgium with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): For the ninth successive day,
weather prevents bombing operations; during the night of 29/30 Jan, 13 B-24s
drop supplies in N Italy; during the day P-38s fly reconnaissance and
reconnaissance escort and carry out supply missions and strafing attacks in
Austria.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, good weather in the Po
Valley permits full-scale operations against communications lines; during the
night of 29/30 Jan, A-20s intruders pound scattered movement (much of it near
Milan), several Po River crossings including Borgoforte, Piacenza, and San
Benedetto Po, the harbor at La Spezia, and fuel dumps and other targets at
many locations; B-25s effectively strike the Brenner rail line during the
day, especially the Lavis and Trento marshalling yards and bridges at Lavis
and Calliano; XXII Tactical Air Command fighters and fighter-bombers strike
railroads and bridges in NE Italy cutting many lines and damaging several
bridges, and hit fuel dumps and factories around Parma.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 17 B-24s from Saipan Island bomb an Iwo Jima
Island airfield. 3 others bomb the airfield on Woleai Atoll, Caroline
Islands. In the Palau Islands, 5 B-24s from Angaur Island strike Koror and
Arakabesan Islands. During the night of 30/31 Jan, 10 B-24s from Saipan fly
single-bomber snooper raids against Iwo Jima airfields.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: Bad weather cancels
most of the scheduled strikes over Luzon Island; however, B-24s bomb Cavite
while fighter-bombers flying support for ground forces hit artillery and
troop concentrations NE of Labayug and others attack ammunition dumps N of
San Isidro. The 405th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 38th Bombardment Group
(Medium), moves from Morotai Island to Lingayen, Luzon with B-25s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

29/0321Z JAN

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 22:36:07 -0500
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: 50 Years Ago - 29-JAN-1945

On Sat, 28 Jan 1995, John Riegsecker wrote:

>
> John,
> I love these, particularly the Homefront news.  Regarding the strike, maybe
> we weren't all one big happy family pulling together to win the war?  BTW,
> did you ever find out who the sub captain was in the prison camp?
>

I never had a chance to get over to the library and check it out. I
figure the original reporter must have made a mistake. The next time I'm
at the library, I want to check some other newspapers. I would think
Germans escaping from a PW camp would be widely reported.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           | [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 | http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 22:41:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Military aerobatic teams

          NORTH AMERICAN MILITARY AEROBATIC TEAM SCHEDULE, 1995
                           ISSUE 3, JANUARY 28, 1995

The following is the combined schedules for the North American military
aerobatic teams for the 1995 show season and includes schedules for shows
in Canada and the United States.

This list is sorted by country and Province and State.  The four teams
covered in this post are:

  Canadian Armed Forces Snowbirds
  U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds
  U.S. Army Golden Knights
  U.S. Navy Blue Angels

Any additions, corrections, etc. would be appreciated.  Please e-mail them
to me at [email-masked].

REASON FOR REISSUE:  Add the Golden Knights and Snowbirds schedule thanks
to [email-masked] who requests that I "tell everyone that you found
this schedule on America Online in the Aviation Forum."

I. CANADA
---------

ALBERTA
-------
Calgary: Snowbirds, Jul 15 and 16
Grande Prairie: Snowbirds, Aug 7
Red Deer: Snowbirds, Aug 5 and 6
Slave Lake: Snowbirds, Jul 17

BRITISH COLUMBIA
----------------
Abbotsford: Snowbirds, Aug 11 thru 13
Cranbrook: Snowbirds, Jul 27
Kamloops: Snowbirds, Aug 9
Kelowna: Snowbirds, May 13 and 14
Penticton: Snowbirds, May 3
Port Hardy: Snowbirds, May 1
Prince George: Snowbirds, Jul 22 and 23
Prince Rupert: Snowbirds, Jul 19
Victoria: Snowbirds, Jul 29 and 30

MANITOBA
--------
Brandon: Snowbirds, May 5
Grand Beach: Snowbirds, Jul 5
Portage la Prairie: Sep 9 and 10

NEW BRUNSWICK
-------------
St John: Snowbirds, May 30
Shediac: Snowbirds, Jun 29

NEWFOUNDLAND
------------
CFB Gander: Snowbirds, Jun 18
CFB Goose Bay: Snowbirds, Jun 16

NORTHWEST TERRITORIES
---------------------
Hay River: Snowbirds, Apr 27

NOVA SCOTIA
-----------
CFB Shearwater: Snowbirds, Aug 26 and 27
Yarmouth: Snowbirds, Aug 29

ONTARIO
-------
Chapleau: Snowbirds, May 22
CFB Borden: Snowbirds, Jul 2 and 3
Grand Bend: Snowbirds, Jun 8
Hamilton: Thunderbirds, Jun 17 and 18
Leamington: Snowbirds, Jun 10
London: Snowbirds, Jun 3 and 4
Ottawa: Snowbirds, May 7 and 8, Jun 24 and 25 and Jul 1
Sault St. Marie: Snowbirds, May 20 and 21
Thunder Bay: Snowbirds, Sep 6
Toronto: Snowbirds, Sep 2 thru 4
Windsor: Snowbirds, Jun 11

PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
--------------------
Summerside: Snowbirds, Jun 20

QUEBEC
------
Bromont: Snowbirds, Jun 6
Charlevoix: Snowbirds, Jun 27
La Tuque: Snowbirds, Aug 23
Mirabel: Snowbirds, May 27 and 28
Mont Laurier: Snowbirds, Jun 1
Quebec City: Snowbirds, Aug 19 and 20
Riviere Du Loup: Snowbirds, May 25
Sept-Iles: Snowbirds, Jun 22

SASKATCHEWAN
------------
CFB Moose Jaw:
  Jul 8 and 9: Blue Angels and Snowbirds
  Oct 14: Snowbirds
Lloydminster: Snowbirds, May 11
Prince Albert: Snowbirds, Aug 2

YUKON TERRITORY
---------------
Whitehorse: Snowbirds, Jul 25

II. UNITED STATES
-----------------

ALABAMA
-------

ALASKA
------
Juneau: Snowbirds, Apr 29

ARIZONA
-------
Luke AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Apr 8
MCAS Yuma: Golden Knights, Feb 25
Mesa: Blue Angels, Mar 25 and 26
Page: Snowbirds, Oct 7 and 8

ARKANSAS
--------
Fort Smith: Blue Angels, May 20 and 21 and Golden Knights, May 20

CALIFORNIA
----------
Fresno: Golden Knights, Sep 23 and 24
March AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Oct 14 and 15
MCAS El Toro: Blue Angels, Apr 28 thru 30
NAF El Centro: Blue Angels, Mar 18
NAS LeMoore: Blue Angels, May 6 and 7
NAS Miramar: Blue Angels, Aug 25 thru 27
NAWS Point Mugu: Snowbirds, Sep 23 and 24
Redding: Blue Angels, Jul 1 and 2
Salinas: Thunderbirds, Sep 30 and Oct 1
San Francisco: Blue Angels, Oct 7 and 8
Travis AFB: Golden Knights, Oct 7
Vandenburg AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Apr 9
Van Nuys: Golden Knights, Jul 15 and 16

COLORADO
--------
Durango: Thunderbirds, Jun 4
Grand Junction: Snowbirds and Golden Knights, Sep 27
Loveland: Thunderbirds, Apr 22 and 23
Peterson AFB: Snowbirds, Sep 20
USAF Academy: Thunderbirds, May 31

CONNECTICUT
-----------

DELAWARE
--------

FLORIDA
-------
Daytona Beach: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Nov 4 and 5
Eglin AFB; Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Apr 1
Fort Lauderdale: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, May 6 and 7
Homestead AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Nov 11 and 12
MacDill AFB: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, Apr 22 and 23
NAS Cecil Field: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, Nov 4 and 5
NAS Pensacola: Blue Angels, Nov 10 and 11
Patrick AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Apr 2
Pensacola Beach: Blue Angels, Jul 22
Sanford: Blue Angels, Apr 1 and 2

GEORGIA
-------
Athens: Golden Knights, Sep 30

HAWAII
------
NAS Barbers Point: Blue Angels, Sep 2 and 3
Schofield Barracks: Golden Knights, Aug 31 thru Sep 4

IDAHO
-----

ILLINOIS
--------
Chicago: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Aug 5 and 6
Scott AFB: Thunderbirds, Jul 29 and 30
Springfield: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Jul 15 and 16

INDIANA
-------
Evansville: Golden Knights, Aug 28
North Webster: Golden Knights, Jun 17 thru 19

IOWA
----
Davenport: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Jun 24 and 25
Dubuque: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, Aug 12 and 13

KANSAS
------
Liberal: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Sep 23 and 24

KENTUCKY
--------
Louisville: Golden Knights, Sep 2 thru 4

LOUISIANA
---------
Alexandira: Blue Angels, Sep 30 and Oct 1
Barksdale AFB: Golden Knights, Apr 9
Monroe: Golden Knights, Apr 23
NAS New Orleans: Thunderbirds, Oct 28 and 29

MAINE
-----
NAS Brunswick: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Jul 22 and 23

MARYLAND
--------
Andrews AFB: Thunderbirds, May 20 and 21 and Golden Knights, May 19 to 21
Fort Meade: Golden Knights, May 18
Frederick: Thunderbirds, Aug 26 and 27
NAS Patuxent River: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, May 27
US Naval Academny, Anapolis: Blue Angels, May 29 and 31

MASSACHUSETTS
-------------
Andover: Golden Knights, May 29
Hanscom AFB: Thunderbirds, Jun 10 and 11

MICHIGAN
--------
Battle Creek: Thunderbirds, Jul 2 thru 4
Benton Harbor: Golden Knights, May 7, 13 and 14
Detroit: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, Jun 3 and 4
Grand Rapids: Golden Knights, Jun 20
Kalmazoo: Golden Knights, Jun 10 and 11

MINNESOTA
---------

MISSISSIPPI
-----------
Keesler AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Oct 25
NAS Meridian: Blue Angels, May 13 and 14

MISSOURI
--------
Columbia: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, May 27 and 28
Kansas City: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, Jul 29 and 30
Whiteman AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Jun 14

MONTANA
-------
Bozeman: Thunderbirds, Aug 19 and 20 and Golden Knights, Aug 20
Malmstrom AFB: Golden Knights, Jul 8

NEBRASKA
--------
Offutt AFB: Thunderbirds, Sep 3 and 4

NEVADA
------
NAS Fallon: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, Oct 14
Reno: Snowbirds, Sep 15 thru 17

NEW HAMPSHIRE
-------------

NEW JERSEY
----------

NEW MEXICO
----------
Holloman AFB: Thunderbirds, Jun 3
Roswell: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Sep 16 and 17

NEW YORK
--------
Niagara Falls: Golden Knights, Jun 24 and 25
Plattsburgh AFB: Golden Knights, Jun 10 and 11
White Lake: Golden Knights, Jul 8 thru 10

NORTH CAROLINA
--------------
Ft Bragg: Golden Knights, Jul 4
MCAS Cherry Point: Blue Angels, Apr 8 and 9

NORTH DAKOTA
------------
Fargo: Golden Knights, Aug 12 and 13
Grand Forks AFB: Thunderbirds, Jul 8
Minot AFB: Golden Knights, Jul 30

OHIO
----
Columbus: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, Aug 5 and 6
Dayton: Golden Knights, Jul 22 and 23
Toledo: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Sep 9 and 10

OKLAHOMA
--------
Oklahoma City: Blue Angels, Jun 17 and 18

OREGON
------
Hillsboro: Blue Angels, Jul 15 and 16
Medford: Golden Knights, Aug 26 and 27

PENNSYLVANIA
------------
Philadelphia: Blue Angels, Jun 24 and 25
Reading: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, Aug 19 and 20

RHODE ISLAND
------------
North Kingston: Blue Angels, Jun 10 and 11

SOUTH CAROLINA
--------------
Charleston AFB: Thunderbirds, Oct 8
Myrtle Beach: Golden Knights, Jun 3 and 4

SOUTH DAKOTA
------------
Ellsworth AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Jul 9

TENNESSEE
---------
Gray: Golden Knights, Aug 21 thru 24
Knoxville: Golden Knights, Apr 29 and 30
McGhee Tyson ANGB: Thunderbirds, Apr 29 and 30
Smyrna: Blue Angels, Sep 16 and 17

TEXAS
-----
Dallas: Golden Knights, Sep 16 and 17 and Sep 29 thru Oct 2
El Paso: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, Oct 21 and 22
Ft Worth: Golden Knights, Oct 7 and 8
Houston: Blue Angels, Oct 21 and 22
Midland: Snowbirds, Sep 30 and Oct 1
Randolph AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, May 13
Reese AFB: Thunderbirds and Golden Knights, May 14
San Angelo: Snowbirds, Oct 3
Sheppard AFB: Blue Angels, Oct 28 and 29

UTAH
----

VERMONT
-------

VIRGINIA
--------
Ft. Eustis: Golden Knights, Aug 4
Langley AFB: Thunderbirds, Oct 7
Manassas: Golden Knights, May 23
NAS Oceana: Blue Angels, Sep 23 and 24

WASHINGTON
----------
NAS Whidbey Island: Blue Angels and Golden Knights, Sep 9 and 10

WEST VIRGINIA
-------------

WISCONSIN
---------

WYOMING
-------
Cheyenne: Thunderbirds, Jul 26

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 28 Jan 1995 23:24:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Airshows in NE USA

           AIRSHOWS IN THE NORTHEASTERN UNITED STATES, 1995
                       ISSUE 1, 28 JANUARY 1995

This is the latest list of airshows in the Northeastern U.S. that I have
been able to compose.  The list is sorted by state and any military aerobatic
team appearing is noted.  Also noted is any known telephone numbers; please
call the telephone number listed for further information. I will gladly
update this list with any additions, changes and/or deletions.  Just e-mail
me at [email-masked]

CONNECTICUT
-----------
New Haven: Sep 9 and 10, New Haven Airfest

DELAWARE
--------
New Castle: Oct 14 and 15, Wilmington Air Show

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
--------------------

MAINE
-----
NAS Brunswick: Jul 22 and 23, Great State of Maine Airshow (USAF
  Thunderbirds), (207) 921-2256

MARYLAND
--------
Anapolis (USNA): May 29, Commissioning Week Air Show (Blue Angels) (410)
  293-2738
Andrews AFB: May 19 to 21, DOD Open House (USAF Thunderbirds on 20 and 21)
  (301) 981-9692
College Park: Sep 16 and 17, College Park Air Fair, (301) 864-5844
Frederick: Aug 25 thru 27, Wings of Freedom Airshow (USAF Thunderbirds on
  26th and 27th) (716) 243-2255
Hagerstown: Sep 9 and 10, Great Hagerstown Airshow (301) 791-3333
NAS Patuxent River: May 27, Air Expo '95 (Blue Angels), (301) 826-1141

MASSACHUSETTS
-------------
Hanscom AFB: Jun 10 and 11, Open House (USAF Thunderbirds) (617) 377-9003
NAS South Weymouth: Jun 3 and 4, Open House (617) 786-2949
Otis ANGB: Aug 5 and 6, Cape Cod Airshow, (508) 457-1388

NEW HAMPSHIRE
-------------

NEW JERSEY
----------
Pittstown: Aug 4 thru 6, The Magic of Alexandria Balloon Festival, (908)
  735-0870
Sussex: Aug 25 thru 27, Sussex Air Show (201) 875-7337

NEW YORK
--------
Batavia: Aug 18 thru 20, Wings of Eagles Air Show (716) 243-0690
Elmira: Jul 15 and 16: NY State Int'l Air Show (607) 739-5621
Monticello: Jul 8, Monticello Airshow
Poughkeepsie: May 13 and 14, Mid Hudson Valley Balloon Festival
Schnectedy: Oct 9, Airshow
Scotia: Sep 9 and 10, Empire State Aeroscience Museum Flight, (518)
  399-0111
Wappinger Falls: May 12 and 13, The Great Hudson Valley Balloon Race, (914)
  462-2600
White Lake: Aug 8 thru 10, Sullivan Co. Air Show (USA Golden Knights) (914)
  794-2211

PENNSYLVANIA
------------
Avoca: Aug 12 and 13, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Int;l Air Show, (717) 655-3077
Erie: Jul 15 and 16, Erie Int'l Airshow, (814) 833-7343
Franklin: Jul 8 and 9, Wings Over Venango Air and Trade Show, (814)
  432-5333
Lock Haven: Aug 10 thru 13, 1995 Sentimental Journey to Cub Haven "WASPs",
  (717) 748-8238
NAS Willow Grove: Jun 17 and 18, Sounds of Freedom (215) 443-6084
Philadelphia: Jun 23 thru 25, Welcome America Air Show (Blue Angels on 24th
  and 25thi) (215) 230-8562
Quakertown: Jun 3 and 4, Quakertown Air Festival
Reading: Jun 3 and 4, WWII Commenorative Weekend-The Mid Atlantic Air
  Museum (610) 372-7333
Reading: Aug 19 and 20, Reading Aerofest (USN Blue Angels) (215) 372-4666
Williamport: Sep 16 and 17, Williamsport-Lycoming Co Air Show, (717)
  368-3233

RHODE ISLAND
------------
North Kingstown: Jun 10 and 11, RI ANG Air Show (USN Blue Angels) (401)
  886-1423

VERMONT
-------

VIRGINIA
--------
Langley AFB: Oct 7, Open House (USAF Thunderbirds), (804) 764-2018
NAS Oceana: Sep 23 and 24, Oceana Air Show (USN Blue Angels), (804)
  433-3131
Norfolk: Jun 2 to 4, Harborfest (804) 627-5309

WEST VIRGINIA
-------------
Clarskburg: Sep 17, Airshow

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 25 Jan 1995 23:35:00 -0600
From:    George Bauer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Request

Would the person on the list from the Smithsonian contact me privately?  My cheapie internet provider doesn't show the individual address; only the list address.

Thank you.

[email-masked]
 * RoboBOARD/FX 1.04

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 27 Jan 1995 to 28 Jan 1995
*************************************************