Subject: WWII-L Digest - 9 Jan 1995 to 10 Jan 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 00:02:13 -0500

There are 33 messages totalling 1029 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. TRIVIA: Decks (2)
  2. WEAP:  US Heavy Bomber Comparison
  3. INF: 50 Years Ago - 11-JAN-1945 (2)
  4. INF: USN Chronology 01-10-95
  5. Nazi Escapees (2)
  6. <No subject given> (3)
  7. Invasion of Kyushu / Operation OLYMPIC
  8. 50TH: REACTION TO GERMAN OFFENSIVE
  9. Film "Das Boot" (WAS ?Resources)
 10. Re[2]: TRIVIA: Decks
 11. ?Resources (2)
 12. Re[2]: Stalingrad etc. (was Re: Movie "Das Boot")
 13. TRIVIA: Schindler's List (4)
 14. INF: 50 Years Ago - 25-DEC-1944
 15. WHAT IF: Seperate Peace on Eastern Front -- Hitler Repl
 16. WEAP: Preserving vintage CV, BB, etc.
 17. TAC:  Battle of the Bulge
 18. BATTLE OF THE BULG
 19. Inf: 3rd Army Chronology - 11JAN45
 20. Inf: 3rd Army Chronology - 12Jan45
 21. Inf: 3rd Army Chronology - 13Jan45
 22. Olympic Games (2)
 23. Japanese diplomat

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 9 Jan 1995 21:15:39 -0800
From:    Allan_Wotherspoon <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIVIA: Decks

In message Mon, 9 Jan 1995 18:01:34 -0600,
  "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>  writes:

> Hope this doesn't sound too off the wall.  It is my understanding that
> the flight decks of U.S. carriers in the 1930's were covered with wood
> (teak, I think).  If so, and if it was teak (which I think came from
> Southeast Asia, which was occupied by the Japanese), what was used for
> all the new construction during the war and for repairs to existing
> decks?  Was some other wood used, or were the decks really made of
> steel?
>
> TIA
> Tim J. Watts
> Valparaiso University
>

Tim:

All US carriers up to, I believe the Midway class, had wooden decks.  I
think that fir was used.  Orginally they had a mahagony stain, later a stain
the same colour as 20-B Deck Blue was used.

Allan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Allan J. Wotherspoon (e-mail: [email-masked])
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 07:43:05 EST
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP:  US Heavy Bomber Comparison

     >Production of both aircraft was maintained basically because the Army
     >Air Force needed all the heavy bombers it could get.  Although it may
     >have been possible to get all of the many factories involved in
     >production of heavy bombers and assemblies to convert to a single
     >design, this would have involved the risk that a shortage of a single
     >component/assembly would halt all heavy bomber production.  As it as,
     >if a shortage of B-17 engines occurred, B-24 production would
     >continue unaffected.

     >>This is a very interesting question. Could a shortage of a component
     >>ever occur ? I have trouble imagining how this could happen. Is
     >>there a historical precedent ?

     >Finally, it may not have been possible to coerce Boeing to build
     >B-24s or Consolidated to build B-17s.  I'm not sure of the laws in
     >effect during the war, but I am aware that in more than one occasion,
     >when an aircraft manufacturer was asked to produce another company's
     >airframe (North American to build Curtis P-40s for instance) the
     >answer was essentially "No, we have a better idea to offer you."

     >>I may be totally ignorant about wartime capitalism, but did Boeing
     >>and Consolidated make profits out of the war ??
     >>Thanks Steve for the very interesting answers.

     >>Arnaud.

     Let's take these in reverse order:

     1.  One of the freedoms that America and the Allies fought for was the
     right to make a fair profit in a free market economy.  We had laws
     against war profiteering, and people did go to jail, but that was for
     using the "war" conditions and shortages to squeeze excess profits out
     of a relationship.  You had better believe that it was the intent of
     Boeing, Douglas, Bell, Northrop, Curtiss, Republic and all other
     companies producing weapons for the military to make a profit out of
     their production.  How else could they be expected to stay in
     business?

     2.  The US Government could not, as other governments have, take over
     a company to insure that it continued in operation.  The best it could
     do, as in the case of the Republic P43 Lancer and the Consolidated
     B-32 Dominator, was to keep paying a company to produce an essentially
     useless aircraft to keep the company alive long enough to produce
     something worthwhile (P-47 and B-36).

     3.  As for part shortages affecting bomber assembly, I can't give any
     WWII examples (I just wasn't around back then) but let me give some
     examples that have affected military procurements that I've been
     involved with.  It will give a flavor of what a war production board
     has to plan against.

     I have seen production of military equipment delayed by strikes
     (probably not much of a consideration during wartime), by plants
     burning down (sabotage was also a threat), by plants being damaged by
     earthquakes, and by the death of a critical employee who maintained
     knowledge that somehow never made it to the drawings.

     While a majority of the heavy bomber subassembly production would have
     been farmed out to several firms, to insure that if one shut down, the
     others could still produce, there are always critical parts where
     because of secrecy, tolerances, advance technology, etc. there are
     only one or two sources of production (i.e. bombsight components,
     gyroscopes, some bearings, etc.).

     A proper war production authority would want to first, diversify the
     production of such critical components as much as possible consistent
     with the availability of skilled labor, production equipment and
     national security, and second, to try to insure that not all weapons
     used for a particular mission were dependent on the same critical
     components.

    Steve L. New
    [email-masked]
    Just an armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 04:44:37 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 11-JAN-1945

On 11-JAN-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the British 2nd Army sector, units of the 6th Airborne
Division reach St Hubert and make contact with the U.S. VIII Corps. In the
U.S. 1st Army sector, the 84th Division clears Laroche. In the 3rd Army
sector, units of the 87th Division occupy Bonnerue, Pironpre, Vesqueville
and St Hubert. The Germans are withdrawing from the 17th Airborne Division
area in the vicinity of Heropont, Flamierge, Mande St Etienne and
Flamizoulle. The Germans are also retiring from the pocket southeast of
Bastogne. The 6th Armoured Division takes over the area east of Bastogne
formally held by the 4th Armoured Division and attack toward Bras. The 90th
Division overcomes resistance around Trentelhof and advances on Sonlez. The
80th Division takes Bockholz-sur-Sure. The 2nd Cavalry Group clears
Machtum, the Germans last position west of the Moselle.

In the 7th Army sector, the 45th Division clears Althorn, west of the
Bitche salient, but falls back under pressure in the Wildenguth-Saegmuhl-
Reipertsweiler region. The Germans renew their attacks against the 79th
Division's Maginot positions south of Wissembourg. Units of the 14th
Armoured Division, counterattack from Kuhlendorf but are stopped short of
Rittershoffen.

Philippines - The XIV Corps consolidates its positions and meet the
first co-ordinated Japanese resistance. The 40th Division consolidates in
the Dulig-Labrodor-Uyong area and finds Aguilar in the hands of Filipino
guerrillas. In the I Corps sector, the 6th Division finds Filipino
Guerrillas in control of Santa Barbara. Units of the 43rd Division take
Manoag without opposition. The Corps front is rapidly widening and extends
nearly 30 miles from south to north. Kamikazes attack and damage two escort
destroyers.

Fomosa - The 5th Air Force begins small night attacks on Formosa
with B-24's.

Burma - The British IV Corps captures Gangraw and advances rapidly towards
the Irrawaddy.

The Homefront
-------------
Draft Increase - Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson reports that the Army
"measured in terms of effectiveness is under strength" and that the
Selective Service has been asked to raise its March quote from 80,000 to
100,000 men.

State Senator Murdered - State Sen. Warren G. Hooper, R., Albion, Mich.,
has been found shot to death in a burning automobile four miles north of
Springport, Mich. Hooper was a principal witness in a special grand jury
case against three men charged with consipiracy to bribe legislators.

Airliner Crash - An American Airlines plane has crashed, killing all 24
persons aboard, five and a half miles from the Los Angeles, Calif. airport.

Hitler Speaks - London reports that Adolf Hilter told the German people in
a radio broadcast on January 1 that "the people are resolute to fight the
war to victory under any and all circumstances." He said the war will not
end before 1946 because Germany will never capitulate. He further states
"we are going to destroy everybody who does not take part in the common
effort for the country or who makes himself a tool of the enemy."

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                Cary, North Carolina                 [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 04:00:17 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 01-10-95

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1945
01/10 Wed.  United States naval vessels damaged:
             Destroyer WICKER (DD-578), by horizontal bomber,
              Philippine Islands area,
              16 d. 04'N., 118 d. 55'E.
             Destroyer escort LERAY WILSON (DE-414), by suicide
              plane, Philippine Islands area,
              16 d. 20'N., 120 d. 10'E.
             High-speed transport CLEMSON (APD-31), by collision,
              Philippine Islands area,
              16 d. 20'N., 120 d. 10'E.
             Attack transport DUPAGE (APA-41), by suicide plane,
              Philippine Islands area,
              16 d. 17'N., 120 d. 15'E.
             Attack transport LATIMER (APA-152), by collision,
              Philippine Islands area,
              16 d. 20'N., 120 d. 10'E.
             LST 507, by collision, Philippine Islands area,
              16 d. 20'N., 120 d. 10'E.
             LST 610, by suicide boat, Philippine Islands area,
              16 d. 20'N., 120 d. 10'E.
            Japanese naval vessel sunk:
             Coast defense vessel NO. 45, by submarine PUFFER
              (SS-268), off the Ryukyu Islands,
              20 d. 01'N., 126 d. 34'E.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: "Larry W. Jewell" <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:37:13 -0600
From:    "Sue Hattabaugh, Valparaiso University" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: 50 Years Ago - 11-JAN-1945

Hello everyone-
Just wanted to thank Jack McKillop and John Davis for the
history postings.  The primary reason I joined this group
was to find out more about my father's experience in
the Philippines, specifically Leyte. It is very helpful
to read the postings and to find out what was going on
during the time my dad was there. He was in the Americal
Division 116th Inf that was responsible for some of
the "mopping up" operations on Leyte where he was
wounded.  His group arrived on Leyte about the 25th Jan and
he was wounded about a week later. Jack and John have made
that time come alive for me. I wanted to publicly thank them
for all the work they do. And all the others who help us
newbies understand that great event.

Happy new year.
Sue
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:47:27 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Nazi Escapees

Hello, David!

Thanks for the correct first name to Kammler. Sorry about the
confusion.

    All the best.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:51:30 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

Hello, Alfredo!

>    Can anybody help me to find some information about the u-boat
> activities during wwii in gulf of mexico specific in Veracruz port.

    You might try obtaining a copy of "Hitler's Naval War" by Cajus
Bekker. That goes into much detail on Germanb submarine operations
during the war.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:55:45 -0600
From:    Mark Parillo <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Invasion of Kyushu / Operation OLYMPIC

   The story about the mission to sabotage railroad tunnels in the
Japanese home islands is a good one and completely new on me. The tunnels
in question undoubtedly had to be the ones underneath the Shimonoseki
Strait, a narrow shipping channel between Kyushu and Honshu. None of the
other main islands were connected by tunnels.
   The Shimonoseki tunnels, called the Kammon (or Kwammon) Tunnels,
consisted of two parallel tunnels. They were drilled beginning in 1938
and completed in 1941, although the tunnels didn't open for traffic until
the fall of 1942 because subsidiary installations had to be built. At
the peak of traffic in January 1944, the tunnels handled 75 trains per
day in each direction (24 coal trains, 37 trains carrying other cargoes,
and 14 passenger trains). It is estimated that the tunnels cut travel
times between Honshu and Kyushu by one hour for passenger trains and ten
hours for freight trains. Destroying or blocking the tunnels would have
severely disrupted the internal traffic patterns in the home islands,
especially since air attack had left few train ferries afloat in the home
islands by the summer of 1945.
   The Japanese periodically considered building a railway tunnel to
Korea. This was a fantastic scheme, since it would have had to stretch
close to 100 miles at a minimum. But, like so many of the other wild
schemes announced as underway on Radio Tokyo, this one never got off (or
should I say "under"?) the ground.

    - Mark Parillo
      Department of History
      Kansas State University

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 11:28:10 +0100
From:    JOHN AUSLAND <[email-masked]>
Subject: 50TH: REACTION TO GERMAN OFFENSIVE

  As a follow up on my previous message, here is another excerpt from
Chapter 14 of LETTERS HOME, which contained my reaction at that time
to the German winter offensive:

          Dear Folks, January 11, 1945, Luxembourg

          Sounds to me as though the late German Ardennes offensive
          has somewhat depressed you all. What an inaccurate
          impression to have. Let me give you a few reasons.

          As the war was going, we were only making satisfactory
          progress in the number of Jerries we were killing. This may
          have led to a breakthrough, but maybe not. As things
          developed, we probably inflicted as many casualties on them
          in the Ardennes as any other place.

          To be sure, they stalled our hard won Duren opportunity
          and perhaps others. But as to whether that is good or bad
          remains to be seen. The most they got out of this attack
          was time. The land meant nothing and is being taken back.
          If they hoped to do more, they failed.

          Certainly, if they hoped to discourage our soldiers, they
          failed miserably. You should have watched our men's
          reactions. Many regretted not being more in the direct path
          of the offensive. It was a real opportunity to get Jerry out of
          his hole. As it was, we had to be satisfied with holding the
          left wing of his attack. Surely, no one was the least
          concerned, all being quite confident the push would be
          stopped before it could do much damage.

          We realized the war wasn't over when we made first contact
          with the Germans in Germany. We knew there were several
          fights ahead. Our leaders knew this also. If it wasn't
          recognized, it was by John Q. Public. He was buying civilian
          cars, looking for civilian work, preparing for V-E Day. A few
          men here will suffer for this, but what is done is done.

          The war here will go on indefinitely. At least one more
          difficult fight lies ahead. Perhaps the winter will be spent in
          small attacks to regain lost ground and positions. Maybe a
          big drive can be made before spring. We shall see. Germany
          is not beaten. We have not earned a victory. But don't worry
          about it. Our nation went to war, knowing this. If they
          didn't, let them remember it next time.

          Love, John
          END OF EXCERPT

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:42:34 -0600
From:    Greg Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Film "Das Boot" (WAS ?Resources)

In reference to "Das Boot" being available in both subtitled & dubbed
versions, I strongly recommend the former as more accurate.  An example
of this is the scene where the correspondent first arrives on board and
is being shown the escape (scuba) gear.  The disparaging remarks about the
gear being of little use while at sea are quite different in the two
versions-- in the subtitled it's because the gear was designed for use
"nur im Ostsee" (i.e. the shallow Baltic Sea) but in the dubbed version
it's said they were designed for use on the Danube River (!!).

Now, I like dramatic license as much as the next guy, but this is going a
bit far......

                                          Glad To Be Of Service!

                                          Greg Kelley
                                          St. Paul Public Library
                                          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 09:21:26 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: TRIVIA: Decks

> Hope this doesn't sound too off the wall.  It is my understanding that
> the flight decks of U.S. carriers in the 1930's were covered with wood
> (teak, I think).  If so, and if it was teak (which I think came from
> Southeast Asia, which was occupied by the Japanese), what was used for
> all the new construction during the war and for repairs to existing
> decks?  Was some other wood used, or were the decks really made of
> steel?
>
> TIA
> Tim J. Watts
> Valparaiso University
>
>Tim:
>
>All US carriers up to, I believe the Midway class, had wooden decks.  I
>think that fir was used.  Orginally they had a mahagony stain, later a
>stain the same colour as 20-B Deck Blue was used.
>
>Allan J. Wotherspoon (e-mail: [email-masked])
>Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Teak comes into the picture on the Battleships.  I have no sources on the tip of
my fingers, but have always read that teak was needed to plate the decks of the
BBs because the shock waves generated by the big guns would crack hard steel.  I
believe teak is a very dense wood.

This leads back to the original question about supply during the war years,
although not nearly to the extent it would had the carriers all used teak.
According to Dulin, Garzke and Sumrall in "Battleships - US Battleships in
WWII", 2 were launched in 1940, 3 in 1941 (before December 7), 3 in 1942, and 1
each in 1943 and 1944.  Certainly dozens of fewer "deck acres" of wood was
needed for these 10 ships than for all the carriers produced during the same
time.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 11:18:54 -0500
From:    S94005525 Coloniel Daniel Kovacs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Nazi Escapees

My father, Julius Kovacs was 14 when he was shipped from imely, hungary, to a camp on the borders of germany, and austria.  He, with his brother, and a friend, escaped over the iron curtain, and managed to secure a job overseas.  I am
his son, have been enrolled in the milita, and have acheived the rank of Coloniel.  Please direct me any information available on iron curtain crossings, escapes from concentration camps, and related topics.

Your help is appreciated.

Col. Daniel Kovacs

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 11:24:25 -0600
From:    Greg Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ?Resources

I think earlier discussion makes a very good point-- the initial content
may be secondary to its first interest-generating ability.  Getting
students interested enough to pursue this subject is very important.

Along this line, there are several titles which may be timeless enough to
get them started.  UP PERISCOPE and Anne Frank's DIARY OF A YOUNG GIRL
have already been mentioned; a couple of my alltime favorites are

Hans Peter Richter, I WAS THERE

Sven Hassel, THE LEGION OF THE DAMNED

since the protagonists in these are younger, caught in a struggle they
neither understand nor can control, I've found them to be very appealing.

As for movies, well, everyone's got their own favorites, but an older one
from the fifties, DECISION BEFORE DAWN, deserves mentioning.

Hey, they're only suggestions....

                                          Glad To Be Of Service!

                                          Greg Kelley
                                          St. Paul Public Library
                                          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 13:02:47 GMT+6
From:    Esaul Zermeno Bautista <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

Fecha envio:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:51:30 GMT-6
Enviar resp a:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]>
De:             "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Organizacion:   Amarillo College PCAD-ML
A:              Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

Hello, Alfredo!

>    Can anybody help me to find some information about the u-boat
> activities during wwii in gulf of mexico specific in Veracruz port.

    You might try obtaining a copy of "Hitler's Naval War" by Cajus
Bekker. That goes into much detail on Germanb submarine operations
during the war.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

Hello, Terry !

      I appreciate your help, tanks.

      Alfredo.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 13:44:25 EST
From:    William Lippert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Stalingrad etc. (was Re: Movie "Das Boot")

On Mon, 9 Jan 1995 15:49:58 CST SCHERRER, TIM said:
>I don;t know about Panzerschrecks but some repro Panzerfausts, which
>were extra production pieces for "Stalingrad" were being sold by WWII
>Products Ltd in St. Louis for $189, or $199--these are the Rommel
>goggles people if that rings a bell.
>
>************************************************************************
>*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
>*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
>*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
>*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
>*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
>************************************************************************

   I'm very interested in Rommel - what does this mean?  Was someone selling
his original goggles?  I thought they were locked in a house in Swabia, but
that was some 20 years ago.

William Lippert
The American University

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 13:12:02 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ?Resources

Hello, Greg!

> As for movies, well, everyone's got their own favorites, but an older one
> from the fifties, DECISION BEFORE DAWN, deserves mentioning.

   I second your suggestion above. A great movie with a great plot
and great acting.

    There are others, of course, but Decision Before Dawn is a movie
to see.

    Thanks.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 13:50:55 EST
From:    William Lippert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIVIA: Schindler's List

On Mon, 9 Jan 1995 17:47:37 EST Chris Morton said:
>"Robert T. Moore" <nshore!ncoast!usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu!PCAD-ML.ACTX.EDU!RTMOORE>
>writes:
>
>> Hello, Christopher!
>
>Not MY questions actually, someone elses.  I hope he appreciates your
>assistance.

    They were my questions and I thank you for answering them.  I guess
I have to do some more studying of my collar and SS ranks.

William Lippert
The American University

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 13:18:11 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: 50 Years Ago - 25-DEC-1944

Hello, Gudmundur!

> Hehe, this is amazing rubbish, Gunther Prien lies entombed at 60 47N  19 13W
> among the rest of his crew. They *might* have been referring to Lt. Otto
> Kretschmer but I think he was in Canada at the time.

    Perhaps Joachim Schepke, who was also killed in action at about
the same time.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 13:23:04 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WHAT IF: Seperate Peace on Eastern Front -- Hitler Repl

Hello, Emery!

 Thanks for your assistance in this matter.  You and Greg inspired me to
> scour my somewhat diminuative library where I found my only reference to
> von Boeslager in BARBAROSSA by Alan Clark.  As this seems like a
> fascinating account, I will transcribe it for our other subscribers
> shortly, as is my penchant to do so.  ;-)
>
> Thanks again.

    You are very welcome. His brother is still alive and lives in
South Germany. His name is Philipp and was also awarded the Knight's
Cross.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 14:33:56 CCS
From:    Jorge Merino <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Preserving vintage CV, BB, etc.

I was reading the January 95 issue of Sea Classics, and there is a special
article titled "1995 Guide to the Naval & Marine Museums of North America",
as well as many other interesting article, including one about the old
cruiser USS Olympia, and another about a Japanese midget sub, etc.

But in the introduction of the museums listing, they give some bad news:
The light carrier USS Cabot (CVL-28), which returned from Spain after
more than 20 years of service as Dedalo, was about to be converted into
a floating museum; but apparently, some financial problems and bureaucratic
reasons are about to kill her. I think it is a crime to send Cabot to
the scrap torch. Just think that she is the only survivor of the WWII
Independence class light carriers. I hope some other museum association
could save her. She is moored at New Orleans now.

Another sad fact is that USS Inaugural (AM-242), one of the only two
surviving minesweepers of WWII, was lost during the Mississippi floods,
and sank at her mooring place. I don't know if she can be recovered,
but I hope so.

Finally, they mention that USS Savannah, the first nuclear cargo ship,
was removed from her mooring place, and her future disposal is unknown.

On the other hand, there is an association trying to save some of the
Iowa class BBs. The address given in the advertisement is:

Iowa Class Preservation Association
24330 Lenox, Ste. 1, Murrieta, CA 92562
Phone: 909-698-7459

I know that USS New Jersey (BB-62) and USS Missouri (BB-63) are now
moored at Puget Sound, but I don't know anything about USS Iowa (BB-61)
and USS Wisconsin (BB-64). Does anyone of you have info about the
destination of these BBs? Apparently, USS Missouri is close to become
a floating museum.

Does anyone of you know what was the final decision about the preservation
of USS Midway (CV-41)? She would be a nice museum too.

My $0.02,

Jorge Merino

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 13:40:25 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIVIA: Decks

Hello, Tim!

what was used for
> all the new construction during the war and for repairs to existing
> decks?  Was some other wood used, or were the decks really made of
> steel?

     I know this was answered but, the British used all steel decks
which made their carriers heavier, slower, but more resistant to
battle damage.

    Just a thought to add to your post.

    All the best.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 13:45:50 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TAC:  Battle of the Bulge

Hello, Terry!

Thanks for the post.

 According to the blurb, Whiting argues
> that Eisenhower deliberately left the Ardennes sector weak to encourage the
> Germans to launch a major offensive in that area.  The goal was to get the
> Germans out of their defensive positions so that they could be destroyed.
> Whiting apparently found difficulty gaining access to US records on the
> background to the battle.

    I think Whiting is reaching for straws to support this
contention. This may be an interpretation, but I think it has little
support. I am certain that Eisenhower would have liked nothing better
than to have the Germans do just that so that they could be
destroyed, but his attention was focused on North Germany and the
Ruhr, not the Ardennes.

    This contention smacks of the same unsubstantiated claim that
Roosevelt wanted us in the war, and deliberately left PH uninformed
as to Japanese intentions.

    My view, for what it's worth.

    Thanks for the post and allowing my two cents' worth on this.

    Terry

 >
> Has anyone seen this book yet?  Any comments?
>
> Terry Lindell
> Department of History
> Wartburg College
> Waverly, Iowa  50677
> [email-masked]
>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 13:55:25 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: BATTLE OF THE BULG

Hello, Arnaud!

 Was it the same in the Ardennes, or did American
> intelligence notice nothing ?

    I hope you received the post I made to Ben. That should answer
your question.

    Please remember one thing. Hitler deliberately kept that part of
the front, the Ardennes, deceptively weak. Patrols passed through
each other's lines with impunity and each reported back that the
other was weak. There was no reason for the Allies to think an attack
would occur from the Ardennes, despite the fact that twice before an
attack had. Given the euphoria within the Allied forces, the certain
knowledge that German forces in this area were weak, there was no
reason for the Allies to count on an attack from this area.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 15:50:08 EST
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Inf: 3rd Army Chronology - 11JAN45

January 11, 1945
D-Day +219

-Reports persist that the enemy was preparing for an offensive in the
 Saarlautern-Saarbrucken area.

-III Corps 90th Inf Div captures Doncols and Sonlez against heavy
 artillery concentrations. 35th Inf Div captures Lutremangeand adavanced
 over a mile with little resistence.

-101st and 17th Airborne Divs prepare for an attack in the VIII area.

-87th Inf Div continues the attack on the western edge of the bulge,
 capturing Vesqueville and St. Hubert.

-No XIX TAC activity.

-Patton informs his corps' commanders that the supply of K-rations was
 critically low over the whole of the ETO and that this type of ration
 should be supplied only to combat troops.

************

Alan Wild, Sr. Prog/Analyst
ACC - Lippitt - URI
Kingston, RI  02881

I am the NRA.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 16:09:30 -0500
From:    S94005525 Coloniel Daniel Kovacs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIVIA: Schindler's List

Thank you for the help.  I know that it is hard to obtain this literature
but I should have no trouble obtaining Schindlers List.  Oscar Schindler
was a very good man.  He save alot of innocent people during the haulocost,
but what  I was looking for most where tacticals created by the prisoners
that where sucessful in freeing them from certain doom.

Please reply with any information that may help.
Col. Daniel Kovacs

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 16:04:29 EST
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Inf: 3rd Army Chronology - 12Jan45

January 12, 1945
D-Day +220

-III Corps 6th Armored makes contact with 35th and 90th Inf Divs at Bras
 surrounding Germans which are "mopped up".

-Bad weather precludes any activity by XIX TAC.

-An enemy rocket of an unidentified type lands in an area around a
 semimobile laundry located with the 104th Evac Hospitalin Luxembourg
 injuring 7 men and causing damage to 3 vehicles.

-Responsibility for equiping the 9th Armored Div was delegated to the
 3rd Army.

-50 trucks of clothing were unloaded at Longwy. 5000-6000 snow
 camouflage suits were expected within 3 weeks.

**********

Alan Wild, Sr. Prog/Analyst
ACC - Lippitt - URI
Kingston, RI  02881

I am the NRA.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 15:06:39 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

Hello, Alfredo!

>       I appreciate your help, tanks.

    Glad to have been of service. You might also try:

        History of the German Navy in World War Two by Erich P.
Von der Porten.

    Hope this helps, too. All the best.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 16:13:50 EST
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Inf: 3rd Army Chronology - 13Jan45

January 13, 1945
D-Day +221

-17th Airborne cuts off the St Hubert-Houffalize highway and captures
 Ruette and Givry.

-Listed in reports of noteworthy air-ground coordination, an VIII Corps
 artillery recon pilot was asked to verify armor moving South into Houffalize.
 The pilot located a column of some 60+ veichles, both armored and GP.
 VIII Corps artillery adjusted and completed a time-on-target
 concentration against the Germans. The pilot also called in
 fighterbombers. Circling the area he also called in artillery on AA
 batteries in the area, on which a pair of 155mm guns opened up.
 Destruction of the enemy was wholesale.

-XIX TAC flew 551 sorties, cutting 25 rail lines, and claiming 137
 vehicles, 168 railroad cars and 40 factories.

-3rd Army assisted in the repair of powerlines throughout Luxembourg.
 70% of Luxembourg was with restored power at this point.

*** Source is Charles Province's _Patton's Third Army, A Chronology_
    Typos are mine. 'Sorry.

Alan Wild, Sr. Prog/Analyst
ACC - Lippitt - URI
Kingston, RI  02881

I am the NRA.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 16:42:49 EST
From:    William Lippert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIVIA: Schindler's List

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995 16:09:30 -0500 S94005525 Coloniel Daniel Kovacs said:
>Thank you for the help.  I know that it is hard to obtain this literature
>but I should have no trouble obtaining Schindlers List.  Oscar Schindler
>was a very good man.  He save alot of innocent people during the haulocost,
>but what  I was looking for most where tacticals created by the prisoners
>that where sucessful in freeing them from certain doom.
>
>Please reply with any information that may help.
>Col. Daniel Kovacs

       A little while ago I read in the Post about the Japanese diplomat
to Germany during the Reich years.  Unlike Schindler, who at first was
a self-serving profiteer, the diplomat gave out exit vistas to every single
person he could.  He was signing documents for people to the last minute,
even as the train rode off.  I've probably fudged this story a good deal;
anyone else know the real details?

William Lippert
The American University

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 15:17:05 -0800
From:    Ellen Shepard <[email-masked]>
Subject: Olympic Games

I am looking for information regarding the olympic games that were cancelled during
wwii.  thank you.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 23:32:22 +0000
From:    Nechama Cox <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japanese diplomat

>       A little while ago I read in the Post about the Japanese diplomat
>to Germany during the Reich years.  Unlike Schindler, who at first was
>a self-serving profiteer, the diplomat gave out exit vistas to every single
>person he could.  He was signing documents for people to the last minute,
>even as the train rode off.  I've probably fudged this story a good deal;
>anyone else know the real details?

I believe this was the post --

>   Another interesting case mentioned some time last year in the Reader's
>Digest of all places was that of a Japanese diplomat attached to the Japanese
>Embassy in Berlin who issued refugee documents to thousands of Jews before
>being recalled. I have a copy that I'll be glad to send you if you'd like.

I have read an article about this man.  Apparently he saved a lot of lives
and was pretty much ex-communicated (for lack of a better word) for doing
so. I think, but I am not sure, that he passed away recently without being
thanked.

Anyone know more?

Nechama Cox

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 15:58:00 -0800
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRIVIA: Schindler's List

Thomas Kenneally, author of the novel SCHINDLER'S ARK (US title)
SCHINDLER'S LIST would be bemused, and amused, to find his fiction-
based-on-fact story discussed so solemnly.   :-)

--

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 10 Jan 1995 20:43:36 -0500
From:    S94005525 Coloniel Daniel Kovacs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Olympic Games

I don't know about the ww2 olympics, but there was an olympic runner
that was denied an award by Adolph Hitler due to his race.

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 9 Jan 1995 to 10 Jan 1995
************************************************