Subject: WWII-L Digest - 4 Jan 1995 to 5 Jan 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 00:02:28 -0500

There are 42 messages totalling 1389 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. ADMIN: I'M BACK BUT...
  2. "Martyred Villages" (7)
  3. INF: USN Chronology 01-05-95
  4. Type 93 Gyo/Fuel of? (2)
  5. Long Lance Fuel
  6. Sorry about the type 93 repeat
  7. INF: 50 Years Ago - 06-JAN-1945
  8. Long Lance
  9. ? resources (6)
 10. [INF] USAAF 5 JAN 45
 11. Lou Coatney's paper ships
 12. air attacks- Auschwitz
 13. INF- 2 quick questions
 14. MEDIA:Submarine Commander Dies
 15. MEDIA:German Base Renamed
 16. MEDIA:Auschwitz Survivors
 17. Fwd: Returned mail:  Host unknown (Name server: ubm.cc.buffalo.edu: host
     not found)
 18. V-2 Book Review (2)
 19. Codebreaking and the Neut...
 20. MEDIA: Eugene P. Wigner Obituary
 21. WEAP:Japanese Planes? (4)
 22. Codebreaking and the Neutrals (2)
 23. WEAP: Japanese Planes
 24. WWW page announcement
 25. [INF] USAAF 6 JAN 45

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 00:36:58 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: I'M BACK BUT...

Happy New Year, Joe, and welcome back. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 19:55:18 +1100
From:    George PISZCZUK <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Martyred Villages"

One that comes to mind is the village of Khatyn, Belorussia (Belarus)

The occupants of 26 houses were forced into a church and that church was set on
fire.

Today, across the country side, in place of the homes, stand bell towers that
symbolize the chimneys. The bells toll every minute or so.

Along with the mass grave, the wall of rememberance, the symbol of tree of
life and the memorial roof stands the famous sculpture of the Unconquered Man.

To walk around that place well....... it is if their spirits are still there.

George.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 04:00:14 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 01-05-95

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1945
01/05 Fri. Cruiser and destroyer task group (Rear Adm. A. E. Smith)
           bombards, and Army aircraft bomb enemy shipping and
           installations on Chichi Jima and Haha Jima, Bonin Islands.
           Cruiser and destroyer task force (Rear Adm. J. L. McCrea)
           bombards Japanese installations at Suribachi Wan,
           Paramushiro, in the Kurile Islands.
            United States naval vessels damaged:
             Escort carrier MANILA BAY (CVE-61), by suicide plane,
              Luzon area, P. I.,
              14 d. 50'N., 119 d. 10'E.
             Escort carrier SAVO ISLAND (CVE-78), by suicide plane,
              Luzon area, P. I.,
              15 d. 50'N., 119 d. 00'E.
             Heavy cruiser LOUISVILLE (CA-28), by suicide plane,
              Luzon area, P. I.,
              15 d. 00'N., 119 d. 00'E.
             Destroyer HELM (DD-388), by suicide plane,
              Luzon area, P. I.,
              15 d. 00'N., 119 d. 00'E.
             Destroyer DAVID W. TAYLOR (DD-551), by mine,
              Bonin Islands area,
              27 d. 04'N., 142 d. 06'E.
             Destroyer escort EDWIN A. HOWARD (DE-346), by collision
              with destroyer escort LELAND E. THOMAS (DE-420),
              Philippine Islands area,
              09 d. 48'N., 127 d. 15'E.
             Destroyer escort STAFFORD (DE-411), by suicide plane,
              Luzon area, P. I.,
              14 d. 00  N., 120 d. 00'E.
             Seaplane tender (small) ORCA (AVP-49), by suicide plane,
              Luzon area, P. I.,
              15 d. 36'N., 119 d. 20'E.
             Ocean tug APACHE (ATF-67), by suicide plane,
              Luzon area, P. I.,
              15 d. 53'N., 119 d. 00'E.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: "Larry W. Jewell" <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 05:06:14 EST
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Type 93 Gyo/Fuel of?

    I'm working from memory here, and I'll admit that my record without a
    net isn't exactly sparkling, but my recollection of the Long Lance is
    that it used Hydrogen Peroxide as fuel.  When mixed with water this
    produced a gas under pressure that powered the torpedo.

    This also restricted the use of the torpedo to surface ships.  It was
    unsafe to keep Hydrogen Peroxide in submarines as the fumes, in
    concentration, are toxic, as many people who have used it as a cleaning
    fluid in a closed room have learned to their sorrow.

    I hope that the experts will correct me if I'm wrong.

    Steve New

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 00:58:38 -1000
From:    John DeVirgilio <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Type 93 Gyo/Fuel of?

On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, Steve L. New wrote:

>     I'm working from memory here, and I'll admit that my record without a
>     net isn't exactly sparkling, but my recollection of the Long Lance is
>     that it used Hydrogen Peroxide as fuel.  When mixed with water this
>     produced a gas under pressure that powered the torpedo.
>
>     This also restricted the use of the torpedo to surface ships.  It was
>     unsafe to keep Hydrogen Peroxide in submarines as the fumes, in
>     concentration, are toxic, as many people who have used it as a cleaning
>     fluid in a closed room have learned to their sorrow.
>
>     I hope that the experts will correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>     Steve New
>

Hello from Hawaii again,

I can't seem to find any of my source materials on the Type 93 Gyorai in my
mess of a house "typhoon City".  Books and papers are everywhere...I need a
house keeper.  I will post the following from memory...

The type 93 Gyorai (Thunderfish) used enriched air (approx. 70% Oxygen)
mixed with kerosene and salt water. The lastest version of this weapon was
introduced in 1944.   This last model could carry one of three types
of warheads, the standard  1,720 pound warhead, or the slightly
lighter KITE flying trigger warhead, or a shaped charge V-warhead.

The best English source for IJN torpedoes can be found in the many
reports found in the U.S. Navy Technical Mission to Japan, 1946.  There is
also a very rare Japanese book on IJN torpedoes which can be found in
several places in Japan.  I seen this Japanese torpedo book at the Togo
Shrine in Tokyo. If memory serves me right, the title of this book was
"Torpedoes and Torpedo Mechanisms in the Imperial Japanese Navy"(?).  Maybe
someone on the Net can fill in the blanks here...my Japanese language
ability is lousy.

Aloha,

John DeVirgilio

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 01:15:36 -1000
From:    John DeVirgilio <[email-masked]>
Subject: Long Lance Fuel

Thomas W. and Steve New,

I can't seem to find any of my source materials on the Type 93 Gyorai in my
mess of a house "typhoon City".  Books and papers are everywhere...I need a
house keeper.  I will post the following from memory...

The type 93 Gyorai (Thunderfish) used enriched air (approx. 70% Oxygen)
mixed with kerosene and salt water. The lastest version of this weapon was
introduced in 1944.   This last model could carry one of three types
of warheads, the new and heavier 1,720 pound standard warhead, or the
slightly lighter KITE flying trigger warhead, or a shaped charge V-warhead.

The best English source for IJN torpedoes can be found in the many
reports within the U.S. Navy Technical Mission to Japan, 1946.  There is
also a very rare Japanese book on IJN torpedoes which can be found in
several places in Japan.  I saw this Japanese torpedo book at the Togo
Shrine in Tokyo. If memory serves me right, the title of this book was
"Torpedoes and Torpedo Mechanisms in the Imperial Japanese Navy"(?).  Maybe
someone on the Net can fill in the blanks here...my Japanese language
ability is lousy.

Aloha,

John DeVirgilio

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 01:23:40 -1000
From:    John DeVirgilio <[email-masked]>
Subject: Sorry about the type 93 repeat

Whoops...it is 1:19 A.M. in the morning here in Hawaii and my brain is not
functioning correctly.  I think I sent the type 93 fuel reply
twice.  I am confused with all the returned mail the listserver sent back
to me.  Again sorry to all...

John "MUD" Devirgilio

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 04:39:35 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 06-JAN-1945

On 06-JAN-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the U.S. 1st Army sector, the 2nd Armoured and 84th
Infantry Divisions make converging attacks toward Consy, taking positions
east and west of the town, respectively. The 2nd Armoured Division
continues on toward Dochamps and completes the occupation of Odeigne. The
3rd Armoured Division captures Fraiture, Lierneux and La Falise. In the 3rd
Army sector, German tanks enter Bonnerue which is lightly held by the 87th
Division. The 6th Armoured Division holds against repeated counterattacks.
The 35th Division attacks northeast of Lutrebois and maintains positions in
the Villers-la-Bonne-Eau area. In the 7th Army sector, the 45th Division
makes slow progress against the left and center of the Bitche salient and
on the east contain counterattacks on Philippsbourg. The Germans continue
their build up west of the Rhine. The 79th Division clears Stattmatten.

Philippines - The leading task groups of the Luzon invasion force reach
Lingayen Gulf and begin naval bombardment and mine sweeping. Japanese air
attacks continue resulting in the battleships New Mexico and California
and cruisers Louisville, Minneapolis and Columbia being damaged.

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                Cary, North Carolina                 [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 08:11:26 -0500
From:    Thoams Wildenberg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Long Lance

 John  D. and Steve New,

I'm amazed at the lack of interest/knowledge about this weapon which was
the cornerstone of the IJN strategy of attrition.  In your last comment
you noted

> The best English source for IJN torpedoes can be found in the many
> reports within the U.S. Navy Technical Mission to Japan, 1946.

Are these located in OpArchives at Naval Historical Center??  I'd love to
do an article, but have too much on my plate now.

John .... I'd rather have too much info then none, keep it coming no
matter what the hour.  I'm an early bird myself so its not a problem.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 08:51:48 -0500
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ? resources

"Up Periscope?"

That's the first war book I ever read. Still have my copy. I reread it (again)
a year or so ago, and still enjoyed it. I got it in second grade, and everybody
told me it was too advanced.

Thanx for the memories!
                                                                Steve P.

(forgot my .sig file)

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 08:56:11 -0500
From:    "Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ? resources

Does anybody have an opinion on the TIME magazing videos of WW-II that
were free with a paid subscription?

May those be suitable for classroom? I did notice that the Pacific one
had NO mention of pelalaiu. (Sorry, Frank, I forget the spelling)

                                                                Steve

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 07:18:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 5 JAN 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 5 JANUARY 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): In the Kurile Islands, 4 B-24s fly an air
coverage mission for a naval task force on its approach to Suribachi on
Paramushiru Island.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 4 B-25s pound 13 storage buildings at
Kengtung, China. 5 B-25s knock out a bridge at Dara, Thailand. 3 B-25s bomb
Wan Pa-Hsa and Hawng Luk, Burma while 1 B-24 bombs the Cap-Saint-Jacques,
French Indochina area. 29 P-40s and P-51s hit airfields at Hankow and
Wuchang, China, claiming 50 aircraft destroyed in the air and on the ground.
23 P-51s and P-38s hit the airfield and other targets in Samah Bay area on
Hainan Island, claiming 11 aircraft destroyed. 30 P-40s and P-38s attack
various targets of opportunity, Sinsiang, and Kengtung, China, and Wan Pa-Hsa
and in the Wanling area of Burma. 4 P-40s pound fortified hill positions in
the Salween, Burma area.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 16 B-25s flying an
airfield sweep inflict considerable damage on the Laihka, Aungban, Kunlon,
and Mong Long airfields; in the Namhkam sector, 2 P-47s join ground forces in
blasting artillery positions at Kunlong, China and Wingkang; 9 P-47s damage
bypass bridges at Mongmit; 70+ fighter-bombers attack storage areas, tanks
and trucks, and troop concentrations at Mong Yaw, Hsenwi, Hpa-Pen, Man Ton,
Tunghka, Man Peng, and Longhsu. Transports fly 550+ sorties to forward bases
and frontline areas. Operation GRUBWORM, one of the major transport
achievements of the war, is completed on this date one month from its start.
The Chinese 14th and 22d Divisions, Chinese Sixth Army HQ, a heavy mortar
Company, a signal Company, and 2 portable surgical hospitals have been
airlifted; the move required 1,328 transport sorties; Air Transport Command
provided 597 sorties; the air commando squadrons, 488; and Tenth AF, 243; the
airlift included 25,000+ Chinese soldiers, 396 US soldiers, 1,596 animals,
42 jeeps, 48 howitzers, 48 heavy mortars, and 48 antitank guns; the troops
and supplies have been landed at Chanyi, Kunming, Luliang, and Yunnani, China.
Only 3 aircraft were lost during the operation. HQ 4th Combat Cargo Group
moves from Agartala to Chittagong, India.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 781: 1,032 bombers and 584 fighters are dispathed to hit rail
targets and airfields in C Germany; they claim 1-0-0 Luftwaffe aircraft in
the air and 4-0-0 on the ground; 1 B-17 and 1 P-51 are lost.
  1. 259 B-24s are sent to hit marshalling yards at Neustadt (32), Sobernheim
(42), Kirm (18) and St Ingbert (3), the marshalling yard and rail bridge at
Cochem (31) and the Pirmasens railroad (39); 51 hit the Neunkirchen
marshalling yard, a secondary target; targets of opportunities hit are
communications centers at Rheinkirchen (8), Neubrucke (7), Prum (1) and Burg
(1); bombing is visual and with Gee-H; 3 B-24s are damaged beyond repair and
51 damaged; 6 airmen are KIA and 1 WIA. Escorting are 164 of 177 P-51s.
  2. 370 B-17s are dispatched to hit marshalling yards at Hanau (57) and
Frankfurt (81) and communications centers at Waxweiler (32), Wetteldorf (27)
and Pronsfeld (33); 29 hit the secondary target at Kaiserslautern; targets of
opportunity are Heilbronn (29) and other (11); bombing is visual and PFF; 1
B-17 is lost, 6 damaged beyond repair and 89 damaged; 13 airmen are KIA, 9
WIA and 1 MIA. Escort is provided by 194 of 213 P-51s; they claim 1-0-0
aircraft in the air and 4-0-0 on the ground.
  3. 379 B-17s are sent to hit airfields at Niederbreisig (70) and
Niedermendig (54), communications centers at Dumpelfeld (37), Kall (35) and
Mechernich (1), and the the railroad at Heimbach (37); 96 hit the secondary
target, the Koblenz marshalling yard; targets of opportunity are
communications centers at Pronsfeld (2) and Waxweiler (1) and other (4);
bombing is by Gee-H and H2X; 1 B-17s is damaged beyond repair and 20 damaged.
Escort is 109 of 117 P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA) and 1 damaged beyond
repair.
  4. 24 of 24 B-17s fly a screening mission.
  5. 26 of 33 P-51s fly a scouting mission.
  Mission 782: 4 B-24s and 1 B-17 drop leaflets during the night over SE
Belgium.

 TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): The 9th Bombardment Division attacks
rail bridges at Ahrweiler, Simmern, and Bullay, Germany and communications
centers at Gouvy, Houffalize, and near Durler, Belgium, and Massen,
Luxembourg. Fighters escort the 9th Bombardment Division and VIII Bomber
Command, fly armed reconnaissance, attack airfields, communications centers,
traffic concentrations, and other targets, and support the US III and VIII
Corps W and E of Bastogne and the 2d and 3d Armored Divisions near Manhay,
Belgium. HQ 368th Fighter Group and the 395th, 396th and 397th Fighter
Squadrons move from Juvincourt to Metz, France with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Yugoslavia, 1 B-24 bombs
Zagreb railroad sidings; 69 others abort due to total cloud cover over the
target; 38 P-51s fly cover over the target area; 33 P-38s bomb the N railroad
bridge at Doboj; other operations are limited to reconnaissance, supply drops,
and escort.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): During the night of 4/5 Jan, A-20s
on a S Po Valley intruder mission bomb the Modena, Italy area. Bad weather
cancels all other operations.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 22 B-24s from Saipan Island, in morning and
afternoon raids, pound Iwo Jima Island; 7 P-38s, with 3 B-24s as navigational
escort, fly a strafing mission against Iwo Jima. Other B-24s act as airborne
spotters for the naval bombardment of Chichi Jima and Haha Jima Islands.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In major strikes of
the day B-25s hit shore installations along Lingayan Gulf, Luzon Island, and
bomb Menado on Celebes Island. B-24s attack Miri Airfield in Borneo. Numerous
smaller strikes are flown throughout the Philippine Islands and Netherlands
East Indies. A-20s and fighter-bombers attack airfields on Luzon, the C
Philippine Islands area and Mindanao Island, fighter-bombers and B-24s hit
the Pombelaa and Tondano area, and targets of opportunity on NE Celebes
Island. Other FEAF aircraft fly scattered strikes at various targets in
Borneo, Lesser Sunda Islands, and Tanimbar Island in the Moluccas Islands.
The 4th Fighter Squadron (Commando), 3d Air Commando Group, arrives on Leyte
Island from the US with P-51s. The detachment of the 68th Troop Carrier
Squadron, 433d Troop Carrier Group, operating from Nadzab, New Guinea with
C-47s, returns to base on Biak Island. The 69th Troop Carrier Squadron, 433d
Troop Carrier Group moves from Nadzab, New Guinea to Biak Island with C-47s.
The 547th Night Fighter Squadron, 86th Fighter Wing [attached to 310th
Bombardment Wing (Medium)], moves from Owi, Schouten Island to San Jose,
Mindoro Island with P-38s and P-61s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

05/1218Z JAN

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 09:24:45 +0001
From:    Ira H Krakow <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Martyred Villages"

On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, George PISZCZUK wrote:

> One that comes to mind is the village of Khatyn, Belorussia (Belarus)
>
> The occupants of 26 houses were forced into a church and that church was set on
> fire.
>
> Today, across the country side, in place of the homes, stand bell towers that
> symbolize the chimneys. The bells toll every minute or so.
>
> Along with the mass grave, the wall of rememberance, the symbol of tree of
> life and the memorial roof stands the famous sculpture of the Unconquered Man.
>
> To walk around that place well....... it is if their spirits are still there.
>
> George.
>

  Is that the same Khatyn as in the "Katyn forest".  This is a notorious
area where the Nazis found the bodies of thousands of Polish officers
and accused Stalin of killing them so as to stamp out Polish resistance
to Soviet rule (remember that Poland was partitioned in 1939 as a
result of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact).  The Nazis claimed that Stalin
deported these officers to Katyn and massacred them.  For many years
the Soviets denied it, but recently they have admitted the facts.

  Certainly there's enough atrocity stories to go around.

Ira
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 09:57:03 EST
From:    Richard Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Lou Coatney's paper ships

Haven't heard from Lou in awhile, but I thaught the list would be interested in
a tidbit about him.  In the latest Fine Scale Modeler is a short product
announcement with picture of paper ships designed and assembled by Lou Coatney.
There is ordering information and a phone number.  Three cheers for one of the
list.

If there are any Pittsburghers out there, or people living within driving
distance, there is a B-17 out at Beaver County Airport at the Air Heritage
Museum.  Give them a call at (412) 843-2820.  The admission or donation is
2.00, and the ship is the one used to portry the Memphis Belle in the movie.
This is in case my post after X-mas missed people.

                                        Richard Kaplan
                                        Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 10:48:46 -0500
From:    Warren Thompson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: air attacks- Auschwitz

The US air force photographed the entire Auschwitz/Birkenau/Monowitz area from
the spring 1944 through early 1945. On my office wall I have a computer
enhanced copy of a photo dated 26 June 44, taken from 30K feet, of all three
sites. Photos were taken, not because the camps were, but because of the
synthetic rubber and oil plants at Monowitz. The latter was bombed at least
once.

Copies of photos are available from the National Archives.

-- Warren Thompson

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 10:16:58 -0600
From:    Dick Kimberly <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ? resources

Although it will not give the full picture of war, anyone wanting to look
at films might consider "The Boat"

The film is subtitled in English.  Even so, it is one of the best films
of the war and a "classic" in my opinion.

Comments?

Dick

                                         Dick Kimberly
                                         Home: (816) 246 4544
                                         Office: (816) 325 6342
                                         Metropolitan Community Colleges
                                         Kansas City, MO

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 08:26:53 U
From:    Henry Herz <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF- 2 quick questions

                      Subject:                              Time:  8:21 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         INF: 2 quick questions                Date:  1/5/95

Can anyone tell me:

(1) The name and email of someone at the (British) Imperial War Museum.
(2) The name and email of anyone with access to US Government films from
World War II (i.e., at National Archives, various armed services)?

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 11:59:57 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:Submarine Commander Dies

>From the DoD Newswire 30 December 1994

RIP

======

:SECOND WORLD WAR UK SUBMARINE HERO DIES AT 73

    LONDON, Dec 29  -  Midget submarine captain Godfrey Place,
who crippled the giant German battleship Tirpitz in 1943, has died at
the age of 73, his family said on Thursday.
     Rear-Admiral Place became a war hero at the age of 22 for his
part in a top-secret mission against the 41,000-tonne battleship that
was the pride of Adolf Hitler's German navy.
     Place, captured after the daring raid, was given the Victoria
Cross, Britain's highest award for bravery.
     On the 1,000-mile (1,600 km) North Sea journey from Scotland to
Norway where the Tirpitz was anchored, a mine became impaled on the
nose of his submarine. He calmly surfaced and kicked it off.

=====

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 11:57:43 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:German Base Renamed

>From the DoD Newswire 4 January 1995

:GERMANY TO RENAME ARMY BASE TO HONOUR ANTI-NAZI

    BONN, Jan 3  - Germany will rename an army base in Berlin
to honour an anti-Nazi who took part in a plot to kill Adolf Hitler,
the defence ministry said on Tuesday.
     The barracks, formerly called the Quartier Napoleon, will be
renamed after Julius Leber, a Social Democrat politician who resisted
the Nazis and participated in the unsuccessful attempt in July 1944 to
blow up Hitler with a timebomb.
     Defence Minister Volker Ruehe will rename the base at a ceremony
on Thursday, the 50th anniversary of Leber's execution.
     The Quartier Napoleon was used by the French military as their
headquarters in the city during the post-war division of Germany and
Berlin. The Allies -- Britain, France, Russia and the United States --
withdrew from Berlin last year, four years after German unification.
     More than 5,000 people were arrested in the wake of the 1944
assassination attempt led by four army officers. Historians put the
number of those executed at about 2,800.

=====

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 11:53:40 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:Auschwitz Survivors

>From the DoD Newswire 3 January 1995

:AUSCHWITZ SURVIVORS TO MEET

   JERUSALEM  -- A first-ever gathering of survivors from the
Auschwitz death camp will highlight 50th-anniversary observances of
the defeat of the Nazis, Israel announced Sunday.
   Avner Shalev, director of the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, said
programs will focus on Jews who fought the Nazis in ghettos, as
partisans or in Allied armies.
   At the main ceremony, planned for Jan. 22 at Yad Vashem in
Jerusalem, Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin will unveil a new memorial
for Jews deported to Auschwitz.
   Israeli architect Moshe Safdie designed the monument, placing a
cattle car donated by the Polish government on a section of
suspended railway tracks.
   More than 2 million people, mostly Jews, are estimated to have
perished at Auschwitz, the largest Nazi death camp, set up in
Nazi-occupied Poland during World War II.
   About half of the estimated 5,000 survivors who reached Israel
are alive and will meet at the ceremony, 50 years after the Soviet
Army freed them, said Yad Vashem spokeswoman Billie Laniado.
   Survivors will inscribe in a special memorial book their names
and the numbers tattooed on their left forearms by the Nazis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 12:32:38 -0400
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Martyred Villages"

        George, I once saw a Russian movie (the title was translated as
"Come and See") about a teenage Byelorussian partisan wannabe, the central
event was the destruction of a Byelorussian village in exactly the manner
you just described, all from the point of view of this kid as he's forced into
the church (he's one of the few that survive by crawling out an unguarded
window).  I'm wondering if the movie was based on the incident you referred
to.

        Regards

        Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 10:48:56 -0800
From:    Ellen Shepard <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fwd: Returned mail:  Host unknown (Name server: ubm.cc.buffalo.edu:
         host not found)

---- Begin Forwarded Message

+OK 1721 octets
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 09:30:24 -0800
From: Mailer-Daemon (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail:  Host unknown (Name server: ubm.cc.buffalo.edu: host not found)
To: <[email-masked]>

The original message was received at Thu, 5 Jan 1995 09:30:21 -0800
from ix-la3-01.ix.netcom.com [199.35.205.97]

   ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
<[email-masked]>  (unrecoverable error)

   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
501 <[email-masked]>...  550 Host unknown (Name server: ubm.cc.buffalo.edu: host not found)

   ----- Original message follows -----
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 09:30:21 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Ellen Shepard)
Subject: Refugees to the US
To: [email-masked]

i am looking for extensive and specific information regarding the people who
escaped or immigrated to the us during wwii.  this info is for the documentary i
am producing, "memories from the women of world war II."

some of the answers i need are -
where did they settle (city and state)?
where did they come from?
how did they get  here?
were they sponsored?
how were they treated by us citizens?
what kind of work did they find?

i would appreciate any answers - large or small.  i thank you

ellen shepard, producer

---- End Forwarded Message

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 14:23:26 EST
From:    Mike Fetters <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: V-2 Book Review

For local folks, "The Rocket and the Reich" is sold in the Museum Shops at the
 National Air and Space Museum.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 14:32:51 -0500
From:    John Sloan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Codebreaking and the Neut...

David Alvarez is asking about WWII codebreaking and neutrals. I listened with
great attention to a paper delivered at a special symposium on military
history we organized in St. Petersburg in 1992 on visit to the Artillery
museum and other military places. The paper was on the Swedish reading of
German codes before and during the war. Will have to hunt for notes in my
files. Seems the German phone lines accross Sweden were being tapped (surprise
 surprise!!!) and traffic was read.
will try for more later

best wishes

john sloan

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 14:04:58 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA: Eugene P. Wigner Obituary

Excerpted from today's (January 5) Washington Post

>From News Services

PRINCETON, NJ - Eugene P. Wigner, 92, a Nobel Prize winning physicist who
helped persuade Albert Einstein to promote the potential of nuclear power,
died of pneumonia January 1 at the Medical Center of Princeton.

A professor emeritus in mathematical physics at Princeton University, Dr.
Wigner won the Nobel Prize in physics in 1963 for his insight into quantum
mechanics.  He used group theory to organize the quantum energy levels of
electrons in atoms.

He also played a prominent role in the development of the atomic bomb and
nuclear energy.  Together with fellow Hungarian expatriate Leo Szilard, he
persuaded Einstein to write to President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1939
about the potential to produce vast amounts of energy from uranium.

Dr. Wigner took a leave of absence from Princeton in 1942 to join a team at
the University of Chicago working on the secret project designing reactors
to produce the first plutonium for nuclear weapons.  He was credited with
developing the theoretical methods used to achieve the first controlled
chain reaction, which occurred on a squash court of the university on
December 2, 1942.

[... other achievements and personal stuff deleted ...]

In addition to the Nobel Prize, his honors included the Order of Merit,
which he received from Hungary in 1994, the National Science Medal, the
Albert Einstein Award and the Max Planck Medal of the German Physical
Society.

END OF EXCERPT.

I was privileged to sit in on a lecture given by Dr. Wigner over 10 years
ago while attending Mary Washington College, in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
He was invited there by one of our Physics professors, who was a personal
friend of Dr. Wigners.

It was fascinating to listen to him recount stories of his time spent on
these early projects with some of the greatest scientific minds of our
century.  He was very kind and humble, and at my request, even autographed
a sign which had been placed around campus advertising his lecture.  I'm
sure he will be greatly missed.

Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 15:18:40 EST
From:    Mike Fetters <[email-masked]>
Subject: ? resources

The Department of Defense 50th Anniversary of World War II Commemoration Commi
ttee has produced a brochure of "educational resources" including bookmarks, po
sters, factsheets, audio/video cassettes, slide presentations, speeches, and br
ochures.  The brochure I'm reading says that these prodcuts are available to al
l Department of Defense agencies.  I'm sure that somehow these materials may al
so be available to teachers.  You may want to call the WWII Commemoration Commi
ttee at 703-692-2116.  I hope this is helpful.  I've seen some of their materia
ls and they're quite good!

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 16:05:48 EST
From:    Mike Long <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP:Japanese Planes?

John De Virgilio gave a good descrition of Japanese dive bomber bombs.
He describes the Type 99 Kanbuku which I pretty sure was know to the US
as the VAL.

I'm not familiar with the Suisei type, what was it's Allied designation?

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Long
Programmer Analyst II
University of Connecticut
196 Auditorium Road, U-138    |   Bitnet: [email-masked]
Storrs, Connecticut, USA      | Internet: [email-masked]
                   06269-3138 |    Phone: (203) 486-1352

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 13:39:21 -0800
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ? resources

... And if you want your students to really understand Nazi concentration
camp atrocities, obtain for the factual documentary movie --
        TESTIMONY OF THE CAMPS.

It is a movie filmed within days of the liberation of Bergen-Belsen
Concentration Camp. It includes the spoken testimony of actual soldiers
who liberated that hell-hole, and actual survivors of Belsen.

Grainy black and white 16 mm. film. No "dramatizations". No surging
background music. The harsh reality of what Belse and and places like that
*really* were.

        TESTIMONY OF THE CAMPS was released from British archives a few years
ago, and was televised over some PBS TV stations in Canada and the United States.

It is the most accurate record of Nazi inhumanity anyone can witness. Whether
high school children today could stomach such reality is another matter.

Sidney Allinson.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 17:16:22 EST
From:    William Lippert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ? resources

On Thu, 5 Jan 1995 10:16:58 -0600 Dick Kimberly said:
>Although it will not give the full picture of war, anyone wanting to look
>at films might consider "The Boat"
>
>
>The film is subtitled in English.  Even so, it is one of the best films
>of the war and a "classic" in my opinion.
>
>Comments?
>
>Dick
>
>                                         Dick Kimberly
>                                         Home: (816) 246 4544
>                                         Office: (816) 325 6342
>                                         Metropolitan Community Colleges
>                                         Kansas City, MO

I believe there is an English dubbed version.  I'm pretty sure I saw
it at Blockbuster the other day.

William Lippert
The American University

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 14:23:50 -0800
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Martyred Villages"

Your request for a list of villages destroyed by the Germans would
require a very thick book, indeed.

For every well-known incidence -- Lidice, say -- there are a hundred
now-ignored such sad places.

Even Lidice [its buildings razed, its men, women, and children murdered]
the Czek village destroyed by the SS in rage after the assasination of
'Butcher' Heydrich, was only one of three such places destroyed there in
a single day.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 Jan 1995 10:18:51 +1100
From:    George PISZCZUK <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Martyred Villages"

Two different places and atrocities but in the same general area. I think it is
about twenty kilometers apart. One by Germans, one by Russians.

George

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 18:12:55 EST
From:    Paul Gregor <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Codebreaking and the Neutrals

Mr Alvarez:

I realize that you asked for Codebreaking and the neutral nations, but am
intrigued by a book called Poland in the Second World War, by Josef
Garlinski... in it is contained some info on the enigma machine as construct-
ed by Polish cryptanalysts and given to British intelligence...so much for
all the stereotypes.  While we are on the subject of neutrals and occupieds,
does anyone have source info on the respective air forces of the smaller
nations during the war? I read once about either the Swiss or the Swedes
shooting down German aircraft with ME-109s they had purchased from the
Germans.  Also I read with interest the "Honved" postings and would welcome
further info.

                                           Paul Gregor

                                           Kent State

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 Jan 1995 00:29:05 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP:Japanese Planes?

On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, Mike Long wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the Suisei type, what was it's Allied designation?

Yokosuka D4Y Suisei 'Judy'.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 Jan 1995 10:29:55 +1100
From:    George PISZCZUK <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Martyred Villages"

        George, I once saw a Russian movie (the title was translated as
"Come and See") about a teenage Byelorussian partisan wannabe, the central
event was the destruction of a Byelorussian village in exactly the manner
you just described, all from the point of view of this kid as he's forced into
the church (he's one of the few that survive by crawling out an unguarded
window).  I'm wondering if the movie was based on the incident you referred
to.

        Regards

        Mike Yaklich

I believe it is the same place. The sculpture of the Unconquered Man
depicts the boy being carried by a local.

George

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 19:01:58 -0500
From:    Thoams Wildenberg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: V-2 Book Review

Hi Mike, I'm the guy that posted the original note.  I also just finished
writing a finding aid for Patty Williams up at the NASM library and
archives.  I don't think we've met, but from the address and previous
postings you must work at the Smithsonian.  I'd like to know more about
what you do and you're specific interests in WWII.  I'll be glad to do
same if your interested.

Tom Wildenberg
Silver Spring

On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, Mike Fetters wrote:

> For local folks, "The Rocket and the Reich" is sold in the Museum Shops at the
>  National Air and Space Museum.
>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 19:37:42 -0500
From:    Thoams Wildenberg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP:Japanese Planes?

I'm not up on my Japanese aircraft identification.  What were the basic
characteristics of this plane, i.e. was it a single engine carrier plane?

On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, Emmanuel Gustin wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, Mike Long wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with the Suisei type, what was it's Allied designation?
>
> Yokosuka D4Y Suisei 'Judy'.
>
> Emmanuel Gustin
>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 Jan 1995 00:47:29 +0000
From:    Nechama Cox <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Martyred Villages"

>One that comes to mind is the village of Khatyn, Belorussia (Belarus)
>
>The occupants of 26 houses were forced into a church and that church was set on
>fire.

I think that Martin Gilbert in "The Holocaust" gives a description of this
massacre. If I am recalling the right story, it was told very well and
stuck in my mind as one of the more moving parts of, in my opinion, a very
well written book.

Nechama Cox
[email-masked]

                        `---: - .
                         |=|    ``
_        _--_        _--_|=|      \\
--\    /---\--\    /---\-|=|       ..
\__\  /--/  \--\  /--/  \|=| 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1
 \--`/--/    \--`/--/    |=|       ''
  `-__-'      `-__-'     |=|       ::
                         |=|      ;;
                         ;=|     ..
                        .!&!:._''

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 19:56:50 EST
From:    "Steve L. New" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP: Japanese Planes

    The Yokosuka D4Y1 Suisei (code named JUDY) was a single engined,
    carrier based bomber.  Designed in 1938, with prototype trials
    beginning in 1940.

    The first two versions D4Y1 (660 built) and D4Y2 (326 built) were
    hampered by an unreliable V12 in-line engine.

    The final version D4Y3 (1,062 built) replaced the V12 with a radial
    engine, but by that time the airframe was hopelessly obsolete.

    Steve New
    [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 Jan 1995 02:11:14 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WEAP:Japanese Planes?

On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, Thoams Wildenberg wrote:

> I'm not up on my Japanese aircraft identification.  What were the basic
> characteristics of this plane, i.e. was it a single engine carrier plane?

The Yokosuka D4Y Suisei ("Comet") 'Judy' was a single-engined
carrier-borne dive bomber.  As Japanese WWII aircraft usually are, it is a
clean, low-wing design with retractable landing gear. The design seems
also to have been inspired by German practice, and the Heinkel He 118
prototype. The D4Y1 and D4Y2 versions had an Aichi Atsuta liquid-cooled
engine, with a 'shark-mouth' coolant radiator under the nose. This
technology was not very advanced in Japan, and the engine was unreliable.
The early versions also suffered from structural weaknesses, and were
unsuitable for dive-bombing.  The D4Y3 had a Kinsei 62 radial engine,
which changed the appearance.

The D4Y2 could carry 560kg of bombs, had a top speed of 580km/h, a ceiling
of 10700m and a range of 3600km. That is a significant improvement over
the old Aichi D3A 'Val' (310kg, 390km/h, 9500m, 1470km) but when the D4Y
entered service the happy days for Japan were already over. The crew of
two probably hadn't a decent chance, even if they were not on a suicide
mission. There is a D4Y2 in the Yakusuni memorial in Tokyo.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 Jan 1995 02:38:09 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWW page announcement

Announcement for these who didn't get the earlier one:

There is a WWW page up at

         http://www.vestnett.no/vulcan/index.html

devoted to military history. At the moment most files at this
site are related to military aviation: lists of "all" military
aircraft, a list of acronyms and codenames, a description of
designation systems, a very incomplete overview of aircraft
markings, and other items.

We are still seeking volunteers to add other information...

For those unfamiliar with the World-Wide Web: you need a
specialized browser, such as Lynx, NCSA Mosaic, Cello or
Netscape, to read these pages.  There is already a
lot of information on the WWW --- there also is a short list of
other sites at the above page.

Emmanuel Gustin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 20:44:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 6 JAN 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 6 JANUARY 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  Beaufighter, Bristol
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): On Paramushiru Island in the Kurile Islands, 2
B-24s bomb Suribachi Bay Airfield, also hitting buildings and pier areas. 10
B-25s fly single air coverage sorties for a naval task force.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 40 P-40s, P-51s, and P-47s
pound the Hankow-Wuchang area; 9 aircraft are claimed destroyed. 4 B-24s bomb
the Cap-Saint-Jacques, French Indochina area.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): Mission 25: 49 Chengtu, China-based B-29s are
dispatched to bomb an aircraft factory at Omura, Kyushu Island, Japan; 28 hit
the primary target, 13 bomb a secondary target at Nanking, China while 6
attack targets of opportunity; they claim 4-6-10 Japanese aircraft; 1 B-29 is
lost. The is the XX Bomber Command's last mission against targets in Japan.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): Bad weather cancels all combat
missions. Transports manage 310 sorties, landing men and supplies at advanced
bases and dropping supplies to frontline troops. The 317th Troop Carrier
Squadron (Commando), 2d Air Commando Group, moves from Myitkyina, Burma to
Kalaikunda, India with C-47s.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 783: 816 bombers and 622 fighters are dispatched to hit rail and
communications targets in W Germany; all but a few attacks are made using
Gee-H and H2X; they claim 14-0-1 Luftwaffe aircraft on the ground; 1 B-17 and
2 P-51s are lost:
  1. 258 B-17s are dispatched to hit marshalling yards at Worms (62) and
Kaiserslautern (34); 64 hit a secondary target, the marshalling yard at
Ludwigshafen; targets of opportunity are Annweiler (31), the marshalling yard
at Kusel (22) and other (29); some targets are bombed visually; 2 B-17s are
damaged beyond repair and 55 damaged; 5 airmen are KIA and 2 WIA. Escorting
are 109 of 121 P-51s; they claim 14-0-1 aircraft on the ground; 1 P-51 is
lost (pilot MIA) and 2 damaged beyond repair (1 pilot KIA).
  2. 422 B-17s are sent to hit the Cologne South rail bridge (71) and Cologne
North highway bridge (35) and the communications center at Kempernich (72);
secondary targets are the Kalk marshalling yard at Cologne (183) and the
highway bridge across the Rhine River at Bonn (38); 3 others hit a target of
opportunity; 1 B-17 is lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 17 damaged; 1 airman
is WIA and 10 MIA. Escort is provided by 219 of 229 P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost
(pilot MIA) and 2 damaged beyond repair (1 pilot KIA).
  3. 31 of 130 B-24s hit the highway bridge across the Rhine River at Bonn;
95 hit the secondary target, the Mosel marshalling yard at Koblenz; 1 hits a
target of opportunity; 1 B-24 is damaged beyond repair and 17 damaged. The
escort is 172 of 181 P-51s.
  4. 6 of 6 B-17s fly a screening mission.
  5. 36 of 60 P-47s attack the marshalling yard at Siegen.
  6. 23 of 23 P-51s fly a scouting mission.
  7. 8 of 8 P-51s escort 4 F-5s on a photo reconnaissance mission over W
Germany.
  Mission 784: 6 B-17s drop leaflets over Belgium and the Netherlands during
the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS: (Ninth Air Force): 26 bombers of the 9th Bombardment
Division strike Prum, Germany. Bad weather prevents all fighter operations.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Bad weather precludes all
operations except a single reconnaissance mission by 2 P-38s.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): Bad weather over N Italy grounds
the medium bombers. In Italy, XXII Tactical Air Command fighters and fighter-
bombers hit rail lines and bridges in the Genoa-La Spezia coastline area, and
bomb vessels in the harbors at Genoa and Imperia. The air echelon of the
417th Night Fighter Squadron, Twelfth AF (attached to Mediterranean Allied
Coastal Air Force and air echelon attached to the 422d Night Fighter
Squadron), based at La Vallon, France, begins operating from Florennes,
Belgium with Beaufighters.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 15 B-24s, based on Guam Island, bomb Iwo Jima
Island airfields. During the night of 6/7 Jan, 9 B-24s on individual snooper
strikes continue to pound the airfields. HQ 508th Fighter Group and the
466th, 467th and 468th Fighter Squadrons arrive at Kahuku, Hawaii from the US
with P-47s (the group will serve as air defense for Hawaii, train replacement
pilots and ferry aircraft to forward areas).

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the day's major
operations, B-24s bomb Clark Field while B-25s, A-20s, and fighter-bombers
blast bridges and targets of opportunity at Calumpit and Plaridel and in
nearby S Luzon Island areas and B-24s bomb Nichols Field and Nielson Airfield
on Luzon. A-20s, with P-38 cover, bomb Carolina Airfield on Negros Island.
B-25s and fighter-bombers hit Mapanget Airfield on Celebes Island. FEAF flies
numerous smaller strikes against various points throughout the Netherlands
East Indies and Philippine Islands.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

06/0144Z JAN

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 5 Jan 1995 19:01:02 -0800
From:    David Alvarez <[email-masked]>
Subject: Codebreaking and the Neutrals

John Sloan,

Thanks for the information on Swedish codebreaking.  During the war
Swedish cryptanalysts apparently registered successes against certain of
the codes of Britain, France, Germany, Italy, and the United States.  As
you point out, the effort against German codes and ciphers was
facilitated by the fact that Berlin used Swedish lines to communicate
with Oslo, Narvik, Tronheim, Helsinki, and of course Stockholm.  On one
occasion, the Swedes burgled the office of the German military attache in
search of code materials.  Swedish cryptanalysis is briefly covered by
David Kahn in his book, THE CODEBREAKERS, and more briefly by C.G. McKay
in his book on the intelligence war in Sweden, FROM INFORMATION TO INTRIGUE.

I look forward to any notes you might have of the St. Petersberg meeting.

Thanks,

David Alvarez
Saint Mary's College of California
[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 4 Jan 1995 to 5 Jan 1995
***********************************************