Subject: WWII-L Digest - 15 Jan 1995 to 16 Jan 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 00:03:35 -0500

There are 29 messages totalling 1080 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. 1936 Olympics (2)
  2. INF: USN Chronology 01-16-95
  3. Prisoners of the Japanese (2)
  4. INF: 50 Years Ago - 17-JAN-1945
  5. Help with an address? (3)
  6. BATTLE OF THE BULG
  7. GEN Re: Query: Swastika
  8. swastika
  9. Anti-ship missiles
 10. Japanese Order of Battle
 11. Faulty Torpedoes
 12. "Barbarossa"
 13. Inf: 3rd Army Chronology - 17Jan45
 14. AWOL Fliers
 15. Re[2]: 50TH: SMITHSONIAN
 16. <No subject given>
 17. INF: USN Chronology 01-14-95
 18. U-boats sunk in Jan 1945 (inc. long,lat)
 19. HIST: The SS
 20. TRIV: Pacific Armor
 21. BOOKS reviews sought (2)
 22. [INF] 17 JAN 45
 23. TRV: B-29 Auxiliary Power
 24. BOOKS REVIEWS SOUGHT

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 08:57:37 CET
From:    "COL Donnell, Doug" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 1936 Olympics

Geri-Lynn Kennedy asked about development of sport during the Nazi era and
asks for references about the 36 Olympics.

First, in my opinion, the 1936 Olympics set the stage for the government
participation in and support of sports. Up until that time governments, by
and large, kept out of sports on a large scale.  The 36 Olympics were used
by the Nazis to showcase the "New Germany" to the world, advancing their
political agenda through the use of sports.  Once nations caught on to the
fact that sports victories somehow translated into international prestige
gov't subsidies to sports teams became more and more prevelent.  (Just
look at the resorces alloted to international sports competition by the
former USSR and East Bloc nations).

A couple of references:

Olympiad 1936 by Judity Holmes, published by Ballantine Books in 1971

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer

The Story of the Olympic Games by John Kieran and Arthur Daley, (1948)

Hope that helps,

                                Doug

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 04:00:12 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 01-16-95

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1945
01/16 Tue. Aircraft from fast carrier task force (Vice Adm. J. S.
           McCain) strike enemy shipping and installations at Hong
           Kong, Hainan Island, and along the China coast.
            German submarine sunk:
             U-248, by destroyer escorts OTTER (DE-210), HUBBARD
              (DE-211), HAYTER (DE-212), and VARIAN (DE-798), North
              Atlantic,
              47 d. 43'N., 26 d. 37'W.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: "Larry W. Jewell" <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 08:00:05 -0500
From:    Dan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Prisoners of the Japanese

I have been off the list for some time, so forgive me if this subject has
come up, but I am reading *Prisoners of the Japanese* by Gavan Daws,
Morrow 1994, ISBN 0-688-11812-7

You will have heard some of the stories before, but the cumulative effect
(and Daws's rather cheery writing style) is amazing. A good prescription
against breast-beating and national self-flagellation on the occasion of
the 50th anniversary of Hiroshima. Daws reckons (and it is of course only
a speculation) that if the war had gone on another year, none of those
men would be alive.

In short, the Japanese captured about 150,000 Americans, Australians,
Brits, and Javanese Dutch in the first six months of the war, and held
them for three and a half years at least. About 28 percent died or were
killed in one fashion or another, usually frightful--and often by
American torpedoes in unmarked boats with the hatches battened down.

One of the things that struck me about the book was the essentially small
scale of the Pacific War. In that prisoner total was one entire American
army, one entire "British" army, and one entire Dutch army. In Europe,
such things were reckoned in the millions. Japan was a dinky little
country, but very hard to get at; it is a rule of thumb that the weaker
party dictates the terms of the battle. (Pity we didn't remember that in
Vietnam.)

Anyway, read the book, buy it, tell people about it, ask your library to
get it. It's the only monument those poor bastards will ever get.

                 - Dan    <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 05:19:16 -0800
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 17-JAN-1945

On 17-JAN-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the British 2nd Army sector, units of the 7th Armoured
Division advance northeast from Dieteren and capture Echt while others move
south and take Susteren. In the U.S. 1st Army sector, the 3rd Armoured
Division mops up and improves its positions near Cherain and Sterpigny. The
7th Division takes Petit Thier, Vielsalm and neighboring villages. In the
3rd Army sector, the 101st Airborne Division takes Bourcy and Hardigny. The
6th Armoured Division meets heavy resistance near the Bourcy-Longvilly
road.

Eastern Front - The 1st White Russian Front overruns Warsaw. The Russians
give the Polish 1st Army the honor of being the first to enter Warsaw. The
city has been reduced to a pile of rubble. A few hundred people who have
managed to live in cellars and shelters come out to welcome the liberators.
The Germans after crushing the Warsaw uprising deported the entire
remaining population of about 600,000 people to concentration camps. Moving
rapidly west from Kielce the 1st Ukraine Front forces the Warta River and
occupies Czestochowa.

Philippines - General MacArthur asks General Krueger to speed up the
offensive. In I Corps area, the 6th Division begins a push on the Cabaruan
Hills. The 43rd Division takes Pozorrubio, from which most Japanese have
withdrawn.

Burma - The U.S. 5332nd Brigade and the Chinese 38th Division begin mopping
up in the area along the Burma Road beyond Myitkyina.

Army & Navy
-----------
U.S. Ace Killed - Relatives of Major Thomas B. McGuire Jr., leading
American active ace with 38 Japanese planes to his credit, have been
informed of his death in action in the Phillippines.

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                Cary, North Carolina                 [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 13:48:56 +0000
From:    Nechama Cox <[email-masked]>
Subject: Help with an address?

Hi.  I am looking for some help in finding an address.  I need to contact
John Taylor who is the head of the Modern Military Branch of the US
National Archives in Washington.  I have heard that he may not be on
e-mail, but someone at the National Archives should be. ;-) If not, a
snail-mail address would be fine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to give.

Nechama

******************************************************************************

Nechama Cox                                             ()        ()
                                                        ||        ||
[email-masked]                                    ||        ||
                                                      <~~~~>    <~~~~>
27 Heathway Court                                      {@@}      {@@}
Finchley Road and West Heath Road                      {**}      {**}
Hampstead, London                                      {@@}
{@@}
NW3 7TS                                                ----      ----
                                                      /    \    /    \
(081) 458-6510                                       |______|
|______|

****************************************************************************
*

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 07:55:29 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: BATTLE OF THE BULG

Hello Steve and others!

To answer your question.

> > The Battle of the Bulge, Savalas, Bronson etc was on tv t'other weekend.
> > Two questions on it's accuracy....The final scene with German tanks
> > stranded in the middle of the plain....is that authentic

    Not as portrayed in that movie. In fact, there were many
technical errors in the making of that movie that one almost had to
laugh. The weather in that final scene and the fact that an entire
enemy column could retreat in good order in broad daylight without
the thret of Allied air attack was laughable.

and also,
> > the spotting of the main armoured column by the 2 guys in the plane,
> > subsequently shot down....did that happen in the real thing?

    No. Another one of Hollywood's devices to create "suspense" in
the movie. It has no relation to the reality of the situation.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

 > > pps - where was the film shot?
> >
> Spain.
> [email-masked]
>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 09:19:46 -0500
From:    "Sidney W. Kitchel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: GEN Re: Query: Swastika

Matthew R. Burchette writes to the list:

>The swastika was adapted from an American Indian symbol for the four winds.
>The original is backwards and is not canted at an angle. It is also neat to
>note that this sign "as is" was used in the thirties as a unit patch by the
>45th Division based out of Oklahoma. They soon changed to the thunderbird
>design after 1939, I won't explain why for obvious reasons.

        Well, as an Oklahoman, I'm glad they changed. BUT.....it was
coincidental at best. The broken cross was also a symbol in the
folklore of the EurAsian continent. I'd be willing to bet that the
Nazis did not adopt any American Indian symbols. (It would have helped
them to study some Tsa-la-gi (Cherokee) though!!)

                                                           --Sid
--
Sidney W. Kitchel           [email-masked], [email-masked]
Data Parallel Systems, Inc.  ============||  DPSI  ||===============
4617 E. Morningside Drive                             (812) 334-8100
Bloomington, Indiana,  47408  USA               FAX:  (812) 334-8121

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 15:39:16 +0100
From:    Henrik Olsen <[email-masked]>
Subject: swastika

Until 1940 (?), the swastika was part of the trade-mark of the
Carlsberg breweries in Copenhagen. The swastikas ca still be seen
on two large stone-elephants at the intrance to the breweries.

Henrik

'Today, is the history of tomorrow'

e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 16:12:24 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Anti-ship missiles

On Fri, 13 Jan 1995, H. Emery Ford wrote:

> >I don't know a specialized reference work for WWII missiles. Most of this
> >is from the 'Encyclopedia of Rockets and Missiles' by Bill Gunston.

Some references about missile development:

  The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the World's Rockets & Missiles
  Bill Gunston
  Salamander Books Ltd. 1979
  ISBN 0 86101 029 9

  The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft Armament
  Bill Gunston
  Salamander Books Ltd. 1987
  ISBN 0 86101 314 X

The first work has entries for 'all' guided missiles, regardless of their
age. The second only describes the currently used systems, and only
aircraft armament --- including guns and bombs. But it has a long
introductory chapter illustrating the development of the technology.

  The AAM story
  Bill Gunston
  AIR International (monthly), issues December 1986 to April 1987.

The story of the development of the air-to-air missile. The first part
of this deals with the 'prehistoric' period before 1950.

  Qu'est devenu le premier missile air-air allemand?
  Claude Foucher
  Le Fana de l'Aviation (monthly), August 1994 (No 298)

About the development of the German Kramer X-4 AAM, continued in France
after WWII. This produced a family of French air-air and air-ground
missiles. (Beware: There were TWO August 1994 issues, No 297 and No 298.
There is no September 1994...)

  Les premiers missiles air-air de l'US Air Force
  Jean-Pierre Hoehn / Michel Benichou
  Le Fana de l'Aviation (monthly), March 1994

This describes the development of the Hughes 'Falcon' and the Genie
(unguided) nuclear air-to-air rocket.

  From ALKALI to AAM-L
  Piotr Butowski
  AIR International (monthly), October 1994 -- November 1994

A description of the history of Soviet missile development,
from 1948 to today.

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 16:16:07 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japanese Order of Battle

Was it on this list that someone asked for the strength of the Japanese
air forces? I'm not so sure...

Order of Battle, Japanese Airforces, Outbreak of war

Most data from: "Japanese Aircraft of World War Two",
                Basil Collier,
                Mayflower Books 1979. (ISBN 0-8317-5137-1)

ARMY AIR FORCE
  3rd Air Division
    - About 400 aircraft.
    - Fighters:       Ki.27 and Ki.43
      Attack:         Ki.51
      Light Bombers;  Ki.30 and Ki.48
      Heavy Bombers:  Ki.21-II
      Reconnaissance: Ki.15 and Ki.46
    - To support the invasion of Malaya, Singapore, British Borneo, and
      northern Sumatra by the 52th Army (5th, 18th and 56th division and
      Imperial Guards division).
  5th Air Division
    - About 300 aircraft
    - Fighters:       Ki.27
      Attack:         Ki.51
      Army co-op.:    Ki.36
      Light bombers:  Ki.30 and Ki.48
      Heavy Bombers:  Ki.21-II
      Reconnaissance: Ki.15
    - Greater part used to support the invasion of the Phillipines by
      the 14th Army (16th and 48th division), then move to South-East Asia
      to support advance from Siam into Burma of the 15th Army (33rd and
      55th divisions).
    - The 15th Air Regiment (about 80 aircraft) was to cover the capture of
      Hong Kong by the 38th division.

NAVAL AIR FORCE
  1st Air Fleet
    - Some 550 aircraft
    - On 6 large and 3 light carriers:
         1th Carrier Squadron: Akagi   21 A6M, 18 D3A, 27 B5N
                               Kaga    21 A6M, 27 D3A, 27 B5N
         2nd Carrier Squadron: Soryu   18 A6M, 18 D3A, 18 B5N
                               Hiryu   18 A6M, 18 D3A, 18 B5N
         3rd Carrier Squadron: Hosho   11 A5M, 8 B5N
                               Zuiho   16 A5M, 12 B5N
         4th Carrier Squadron: Ryujo   16 A5M, 18 B5N
                               Shoho   (31 aircraft) (not yet completed)
         5th Carrier Squadron: Zuikaku 18 A6M, 27 D3A, 27 B5N
                               Shokaku 18 A6M, 27 D3A, 27 B5N
    - 1th, 2nd and 5th carrier squadrons (108 A6M fighters, 126 D3A1 dive-
      bombers, 144 B5N2 attck bombers, total 432) participated in the
      attack on Pearl Harbour. (Vice-Admiral C. Nagumo)
    - 3rd carrier squadron assigned to the Combined Fleet for training,
      and re-equipment with new aircraft.
    - 4th carrier squadron support operations of the Southern Area Army in
      (14th, 15th, 16th, and 25th Army). (Vice-Admiral N. Kondo)
  11th Air Fleet
     - 21th, 22nd and 23rd air flottila, Seaplane Tender Detachment.
         21st: 120 G4M1 land-based bombers (42 detached to 22nd)
                24 H6K  flying boats
         22nd:  99 G3M2 land-based bombers
                42 G4M1 land-based bombers (loaned from 21st)
                36 A6M2 fighters
                 6 C5M2 land-based reconaissance aircraft
         23rd: 200 A6M2 fighters
                70 G3M2 land-based bombers
                24 C5M2 land-based reconnaissance aircraft
         Seaplane Tender Detachment on board of Mitzuho and Chitose,
         each with 20 aircraft. To keep watch for submarines off the coast
         of Malaya.
     - 21st and 23rd to assist to 14th Army and 5th Air Division by
       striking from Formosa to targets in the Phillipines. Later to move
       for operations into Dutch Borneo, Celebes, Amboina, Timor, Java, and
       southern Sumatra by the 16th Army (2nd division, to be reinforced by
       the 38th and 48th.)
     - 22nd to support the 3rd Air Division and the 25th Army in Malaya,
       British Borneo, and Sumatra.
  24th Air Flotilla
     - Stationed on the Mandated Islands, under Vice-Admiral S. Inouye.
     - Equipment: 36 G3M2 land-based bombers
                  24 H6K  flying boats
     - To attack Guam, Wake Island, Makin and Tarawa. Later to cooperate
       with the 1th Air Fleet in attacks on New Guinea and Bismarck
       Islands, in support of a regiment of the 55th division and naval
       landing parties.
   Miscellaneous
     - 400 to 500 seaplanes on board of ships or on establishments ashore.

AIRCRAFT PRODUCTION:
  1933-1936  about 900
  1937-1941  about 3800
  1942        8861
  1943       16693
  1944       28180
  1945       about 1500 in each of the first seven months

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 10:30:45 -0500
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Help with an address?

>Hi.  I am looking for some help in finding an address.  I need to contact
>John Taylor who is the head of the Modern Military Branch of the US
>National Archives in Washington.  I have heard that he may not be on
>e-mail, but someone at the National Archives should be. ;-) If not, a
>snail-mail address would be fine.

>Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to give.

>Nechama
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nechama: You may send questions to

        [email-masked]

Trust this helps.

-- Warren Thompson

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 08:35:52 PST
From:    Perry Andrus <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Faulty Torpedoes

Doug,

Try to contact John DeVirtigleo (sic) on GEnie.  He has posted on this
board regarding Japanese optical bomb sites last week.

John knows a ton about the Pacific and has interviewed many Japanese
participants.

[email-masked]

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Faulty Torpedoes
Author:  World War II Discussion List <[email-masked]> at internet
Date:    1/16/95 4:58 AM

        I'm a soon-to-be doctoral candidate at Marquette looking for any
unique, obscure, or first-person documentation regarding the Mark XIV
torpedo and it's less than stellar performance during the early months of
the Pacific War. I believe I have touched upon the major authors & works
(Lockwood, Beach, Roscoe, etc.) and read most general submarine histories
of the campaign. Also, if anyone is aware of a good source for
photographs of said ordnance, or of any photo histories of the Newport
Torpedo Station, please let me know. Thanks!

        Doug Shireman

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 09:57:12 -0700
From:    Jim O'Neil <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: "Barbarossa"

<snip>
> If the Wehrmacht
>had achieved Barbarossa's goals (Archangel-Volga line) all it would
>have done was to leave the Germans with an untenable length of
>defensive barrier, across which the Russians would have been
>building hundreds of divisions armed to the teeth with T-34/85s,
>JS-1s, 122mm divisional artillery, Katiushas, etc.

The problem is that a lot of equipment that came thru Archangel-all the
trucks, aircraft and tanks- would have had to come up thru Persia.This is a
much longer supply route and delivers the equipment much further from where
it is needed. I know the Soviets say that Lend-Lease was "insignificant" in
their prosecution of the war, but I think Soviet advances would have been
at "Panji-wagon" speed rather than at Studebaker 2.5 ton rates...330,000
trucks is a lot to dismiss so lightly.Supply thru Archangel helped a lot,
Zaloga mentions whole tank divisions in M-4s...had the Germans managed to
occupy such a position there would have been two countries out on a limb!

 That is why
>the German General Staff wanted to pull back to the Dneiper line
>in 1943- at least they had the manpower to try (note: try) and
>hold there. The flaw in Barbarossa was the assumption the
>Russians would fold; they wouldn't, and, given Nazi ideology
>anything short of the complete occupation of the country- a manifest
>impossibility- meant catastrophe for the Germans. The only question that
>remains is who gets to Berlin first- Eisenhower or Zhukov.

Jim O'Neil      They don't pay me enough to fight fair!

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 12:27:21 EST
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Inf: 3rd Army Chronology - 17Jan45

January 17, 1945
D-Day +225

-German strength was estimated by G-2 to be 54,500 combat effective
 troops and about 170 tanks/assualt guns.

-3rd Army duty along the Meuse consisted now of clearing mine fields and
 removing road blocks, having been relieved of the operational defense of
 the area by mandates from Twelfth Army Group. They had been operationally
 responsible from the line South of Givet.

-Slight advances were made by 101st Aitborne in the area of
 Bourcy-Hardigny. Elsewhere in the VIII Corps area, the 17th Airborne
 began relief of the 11th Armored Div., the 11th Armored in turn
 relieving the 101st Airborne which then started movement to Corps
 reserve.

-A very heavy artillery program was initiated intended to harrass enemy
 retreat from the Ardennes area. All available artillery from the III,
 VIII, and XII Corps were utilized. First Army artillery participated in
 it's own zone.

-XIX TAC listed limited claims due to poor visibility.

-Coal from mines at St. Avold supplied 50 tons per day to 3rd Army.
 Within 2 weeks production was expected to more than double.

"As the enemy extricated the mangled remnants of his last reserves of the
Western front from the Ardennes, the Red army renewed it's Winter
offensive. The offensive had begun with a tremendous artillery
preparation in the center of the line on January 12th. Five days later
on January 17, the Red army entered Warsaw, now thoroughly destroyed by
the Germans in a viscious retribution for General Bor's uprising on
August 1. More than 250,000 Poles fell to the Germans in Warsaw during
the 63 day uprising while the Red army waited impassively in the
suburban city of Praga only a few miles East. On January 22, the Red
army crossed the Silesian border and on the following day reached the
Oder. Hitler now hurriedly disengaged what had been left of Deitrich's
6th SS Panzer army to speed it by rail to the threatened German front in
Hungary. But while G-2 Battle Order could list Sepp Deitrich's Army as a
Panzer force of 5 Divisions, the 6th SS was no more than a skeleton of
the one he had committed against us. Those bottom-of-the-barrel reserves
that might have slowed the Russian onslaught had been squandered instead
against us in the Ardennes. Not only was Hitler's misadventure to speed
his defeat in the Western front; it was to hasten his collapse on the
Eastern front as well."  -Gen. Omar Bradley

*** Sources: _Patton's Third Army, A Chronology_ by Charles Province, and
             _A Soldier's Story_ by Omar Bradley.
    Typos are mine.

Alan Wild, Sr. Prog/Analyst
ACC - Lippitt - URI
Kingston, RI  02881

I am the NRA.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 12:06:39 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: AWOL Fliers

Hello, Henry and others!

That documentary was called "Whispers in the Air" and dealt with the
desertion of American airmen to neutral countries Sweden and
Switzerland. Of course, battle damage forced the issue for some, but
in one instance an entire grouping of 12 aircraft set down in
Switzerland after one raid.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry

> Some time ago, there was a TV broadcast (can't remember any details
> of network, station, etc,) that detailed the number of crews that
> deliberately set down in either Switzerland or, especially, Sweden.
> I think the number was in the low hundreds. Does anyone recall the
> broadcast? It might have been 60 Minutes, or one of the Discovery
> Channel shows.
>
> Henry Sirotin
>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 13 Jan 1995 18:02:01 PST
From:    Perry Andrus <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 1936 Olympics

I talked to a Univ. of So. Cal grad who was on the team and even shook
Adolf's hand.

He said the team revolted in UK because AVery had them staying in
tenements outside London while he stayed at the best hotel.

I believe the team won better accomodations.

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 14 Jan 1995 12:46:03 PST
From:    Perry Andrus <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re[2]: 50TH: SMITHSONIAN

I enjoyed the book "Flames over Tokyo".  It covers the entire air
campaign against the home islands by the B-29's.

It also supports the fact that the fire bombs did the most damage.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 20:19:21 +0100
From:    perrin <[email-masked]>
Subject: <No subject given>

suscribe WWII-L Olivier PERRIN
 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
< Service World-Net  "L'Internet en toute securite"  >
< Tel: +33 1 60 20 85 14      Fax: +33 1 64 21 65 35 >
< Email: [email-masked]                       >
 \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 15:22:39 -0500
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: USN Chronology 01-14-95

Theron Keller <[email-masked]> writes:
> 01/14 Sun.  United States naval vessel lost:
>              PT-73, by  [g]rounding, Philippine Islands area,
>               13 d. 50'N., 120 d. 10'E.;
>               beached and abandoned.

I bet ol' Lead Bottom aka Captain Binghamton was happy to hear this
news!  Were any of the crew (Ensign Parker, Tinker, Virgil, etc.)
injured in the mishap?  Also, do you know if Lt. Commander Quentin
McHale commanded another ship?

A :-) for those unfamiliar with the 60s TV comedy, McHale's Navy!
--
Joe Barone
[email-masked]
He may be nuts, but he's not crazy enough to put Shermans up against Tigers!

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 20:38:23 +0000
From:    Gudmundur Helgason <[email-masked]>
Subject: U-boats sunk in Jan 1945 (inc. long,lat)

                                January 1945

9. Jan      U.679

            Type VIIC built by Howaldtswerke Hamburg, Hamburg (werk 827)
            Launched 20 Nov 1943, commissioned 29 Nov 1943

            Sunk in the Baltic Sea, position unknown, by depth charges from
            the USSR anti-submarine vessel Mo 124.
            51 dead (all crew lost).

16. Jan     U.248

            Type VIIC built by Germaniawerft, Kiel (Werk 682).
            Launched 7 Oct 43, commissioned Jun 6th 1944

            Sunk in the North Atlantic in position 47.43N, 26.37W by depth
            charges from US destroyer escorts Hayter, Otter, Varian and
            Hubbard.
            47 dead (all crew lost).

16. Jan     U.482

            Type VIIC built by Deutsche Werke, Kiel (Werk 317).
            Launched Sept 25 1943, commissioned 1 Dec 1943

            Sunk in the Northern Channel in pos. 55.30N, 05.53W by depth
            charges by the British sloops Peacock, Starling, Hart and
            Amethyst and the frigate Loch Cragger.
            48 dead (all crew lost).

21. Jan     U.1199

            Type VIIC built by F Schichau, Danzig (werk 1574)
            Launched Oct 12 1943, commissioned December 23 1943

            Sunk in the Channel near the Scilly Isles in pos. 49.57N, 05.42W
            by depth charges from the British destroyer Icarus and the
            corvette Mignonette.
            48 dead.

26. Jan     U.1051

            Type VIIC built by Fried. Krupp Germaniawerft, Kiel (werk 685)
            Launched Feb 3 1944, commissioned March 4 1944

            Sunk south of the Isle of Man in pos. 53.39N, 05.23W by ramming
            and depth charges from the British frigates Aylmer, Calder,
            Bentinck and Manners.
            47 dead (all crew lost).

27. Jan     U.1172

            Type VIIC/41 built by Danziger Werft, Danzig (werk 144)
            Launched Dec 3 1943, commissioned April 20 1944

            Sunk 27 Jan 1945 in St. George's Channel in pos. 52.24N, 05.42W
            by depth charges from the British frigates Tyler, Keats and Bligh.
            52 dead (all crew lost).

31. Jan     U.3520

            Type XXI built by F Schichau, Danzig (werk 1667)
            Launched 23 Nov 1944, commissioned 23 Dec 1944

            Sunk 31 Jan 1945 northeast of Buelk in pos. 54.28N, 10.12E
            by mines. 80 dead (5 survivors)

Jan         U.1020

            Type VIIC/41 built by Blohm und Voss, Hamburg (werk 220)
            Launched March 22 1944, commissioned May 17 1944

            Went missing off the east coast of Scotland.
            52 dead (all crew lost)

  At end of January 1945 Germany had 144 operational u-boats,281 in training &
  trials with a total force of 425 boats (72 XXI and 46 XXII Elektro boats).
  17 XXI and 11 XXIII were commissioned in Jan 1945.

I wish I had the info on the captains of these boats and perhaps info on
their previous missions (if any, at this time many boats were sunk on
their maiden war patrol) but I dont :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gudmundur J. Helgason                              e-mail: [email-masked]
Olduslod 41                                            phone: (354)-1-5655270
220 Hafnarfjordur                                             (354)-1-5652270
ICELAND                                             Maintainer of ICELAND.FAQ
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 15:35:15 -0500
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: HIST: The SS

Another title that might be helpful in dealing with the history of the SS:

        Herbert F. Ziegler. GERMANY'S NEW ARISTOCRACY: THE SS LEADERSHIP,
                1925-1939. Princeton, 1989. ISBN: 0-691-05577-7.

-- Warren Thompson

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 17 Jan 1995 08:11:57 +10
From:    David Murnain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Prisoners of the Japanese

> Daws reckons (and it is of course only
>a speculation) that if the war had gone on another year, none of those
>men would be alive.

Quite a reasonable speculation considering the physical state of the survivors,
and deliberate massacres like that on Sandakan.

>Anyway, read the book, buy it, tell people about it, ask your library to
>get it. It's the only monument those poor bastards will ever get.

I do not know about other countries, but here in Oz there are stone memorials
(some as recent as 1994) to the P.O.W.s., paid for by public donations.

 There are also many books by the survivors from places like Changi
and the Burma-Thailand railway camps.

-------------------------------------------------------
David Murnain                           |"What is good, and what
[email-masked]|is not good, Phaedrus.?
BHP Information Technology       |Need we ask others to tell us
Newcastle, Australia                  |these things."

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 17:38:56 -0600
From:    "Tim J. Watts" <[email-masked]>
Subject: TRIV: Pacific Armor

Everyone knows about the great tank v. tank battles in Africa, Europe
and the Eastern Front.  Anyone know of any examples of tank v. tank combat
in the Pacific theater?

Tim J. Watts
Valparaiso University

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 19:16:15 EST
From:    Cassady Craft <[email-masked]>
Subject: BOOKS reviews sought

At lunch today, I was abducted by a UFO, taken to the local bookstore, and
forced to look and not buy.  Before release, I had to promise to get reviews
for the following books, and from the list, at that!  So all hands, HELP!
They WILL come to get me again, and because of the magic of the ether, they
know where YOU live, too.

Has anyone heard anything about, much less read _Tennozan:  The Battle of
Okinawa and the Atomic Bomb_ by George Feifer

or

_Soldiers of the Sun:  The Rise and Fall of the Imperial Japanese Army_ by
Meirion and Susie Harries

Thanks in advance for helping me get these...creatures...off my back!

Cassady Craft
e-mail [email-masked]
or
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 20:07:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] 17 JAN 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
WEDNESDAY, 17 JANUARY 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  F-6, North American Mustang
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 12 B-25s bomb the town
area, river shipping, and trucks at Ishan and 3 B-25s and 8 P-40s pound
sampans and storage areas W of Hengshan while 2 B-25s hit an oil dump and
other targets of opportunity in the Hsiang River Valley and another blasts a
troop compound at Chaling. 4 B-25s damage a bridge at Phu Lang Thuong, French
Indochina. 180+ P-40s, P-51s, and P-38s hit a large number of targets of
opportunity from the Burma border to Shanghai, China, concentrating on the
Wanling, Burma area and airfields in the Shanghai, Wuchou, and Wuchang, China
areas.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): Mission 29: 77 of 92 B-29s from Chengtu,
China bomb the airfield at Shinchiku, Formosa; 8 other hit alternates and
targets of opportunity in SE China; 1 B-29 is lost.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 4 B-25s demolish 2 bypass
bridges at Ho-hko; 8 pound the village of Mansam; 20 P-47s support ground
forces along the Irrawaddy River, hitting targets at Konkha, Onbaing, and
Wabyudaung; troop concentrations and supplies are bombed by 75 fighter-
bombers at Nawngchio, No-na, Man Hpa-yaw, Man Namket, Nanhu, Panghai, Mong
Nge, and Ho-Pok. Transports fly 489 sorties to forward bases and frontline
areas.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 798: 700 bombers and 362
fighters are dispatched to make visual attacks on oil refineries at Hamburg
and Harburg and Gee-H and H2X attacks on rail targets; 9 bombers and 7
fighters are lost:
  1. 158 B-17s are dispatched to hit the Rhenania (40) and Albrecht (34) oil
refineries at Hamburg and the U-boat base at Hamburg (73); 1 other hits a
target of opportunity; 4 B-17s are lost and 88 damaged; 1 airman is KIA and
39 MIA. Escorting are 61 P-47s and P-51s; 3 P-51s are lost (pilots MIA) and 1
P-47 is damaged beyond repair.
  2. 78 of 84 B-24s hit the Rhenania oil refinery at Harburg; 1 other hits
Borkum Airfield as a target of opportunity; 4 B-24s are lost, 1 damaged
beyond repair and 57 damaged; 7 airmen are WIA and 44 MIA. Escort is provided
by 46 of 55 P-51s; 2 P-51s are lost (pilots MIA).
  3. 458 B-17s are sent to hit the Paderborn marshalling yard (397) and the
Schildesche rail viaduct at Bielefeld (37); 4 others hit a target of
opportunity; 1 B-17 is lost and 6 damaged; 9 airmen are MIA. The escort is
108 of 118 P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA).
  4. 80 of 87 P-51s fly a fighter sweep against a rail target without loss.
  5. 25 of 28 P-51s fly a scouting mission; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): Weather cancels all bomber
operations and limits the fighters; the XIX Tactical Air Command flies a
night patrol while the IX Tactical Air Command flies a leaflet mission and
patrols the XIX Corps area around the Hurtgen Forest, Germany.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Continued bad weather cancels
all operations.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, medium bombers, taking
advantage of improved weather conditions, attack 6 rail targets on the
Brenner rail line, blocking the line at Calliano, cutting tracks at Ora, and
destroying a section of the bridge at Sacile; in NE Italy fighters and
fighter-bombers concentrate their large effort on rail lines and bridges,
destroying 4 and damaging another, cutting tracks at numerous points, and
blasting vehicles and trains; HQ 3d Photographic Group (Reconnaissance) and
the 5th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron move from Rosia and Malignano
respectively to Florence/Peretola with A-20s, B-25s and F-5s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 14 B-24s from Saipan Island pound airfields on
Iwo Jima Island; 3 from Guam Island, on armed reconnaissance flight, bomb
Marcus Island in the N Pacific; 2 B-24s, from Guam and Saipan, fly individual
harassment strikes against Iwo Jima during the night of 17/18 Jan.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): HQ 29th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) and
the 6th, 43d and 52d Bombardment Squadrons (Very Heavy) arrive at North
Field, Guam Island from the US with B-29s (first mission is 16 Feb).

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In principal
strikes of the day on Luzon Island, B-24s bomb railroad yards at Legaspi
while B-25s hit roads and railways E of Manila, destroying many railroad cars
and troop-laden trucks. Other B-24s pound the Daliao area on Mindanao Island
and Talisay Airfield on Negros Island. B-25s, A-20s, and fighter-bombers
continue to fly small strikes and armed reconnaissance against bridges,
shipping, port areas, airfields, trucks, and other targets of opportunity
throughout Luzon and in the C Philippine Islands. The air echelon of the 82d
Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, 71st Tactical Reconnaissance Group, moves
from San Jose, Mindoro to Lingayen, Luzon with F-6s and P-40s (ground echelon
is enroute from Morotai Island to Lingayen).

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

17/0106Z JAN

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 11:36:47 -0800
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Help with an address?

Can anyone her help me find a postal address?

The Society Fror Military History
used to be reached at a PO Box 307, Quantico, VA.

It sems they have moved, and mail is not forwarded.

I'd be obliged if anyone could tell me the current address
of the Society For Military History.

Thanks in advance -- Sidney Allinson.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 18:00:41 -0800
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: BOOKS reviews sought

I have read TENOZAN
Excellent book, by the way.
I also am a regular book reviewer for several publications.

Over to you...

Regards -- Sidney Allinson.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 21:56:26 -0500
From:    Burt Knight <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TRV: B-29 Auxiliary Power

I asked my father (when in doubt, ask Dad) who was a tech on B-29s and A-26s.
He knows nothing of an auxiliary engine, Crosley or other, in a B-29.  I'll go
into the Tech manuals for an absolute answer but I trust his memory. He working
on the Central Fire Control systems on B-29s and then A-26s and the CFC techs
would certainly know about electrical and hydraulic systems.
BWK, in sunny, warm (65f) Central New Hampshire.

"Ah, here we go... Fireball... wonderful spell." -- Fizban

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 22:28:56 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: BOOKS REVIEWS SOUGHT

Cassady, I have heard of both books, have "Tennozan," but have not read it.
"Soldiers of the Sun" I have not read, but it has received good marks from
colleagues who have, and has been very well reviewed. There are some problems
with "Tennozan," especially with reference to American atrocities. Ben Frank

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 15 Jan 1995 to 16 Jan 1995
*************************************************