Subject: WWII-L Digest - 3 Feb 1995 to 4 Feb 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 1995 00:00:21 -0500

There are 25 messages totalling 2191 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Law of Armed Conflict
  2. ENOLA GAY EXHIBIT
  3. WORLD WAR 2 MUSIC
  4. Enola Gay Exhibit (4)
  5. GEN: KILLING OF GERMAN PR...
  6. INF: 50 Years Ago - 05-FEB-1945 (2)
  7. ?from high school student JRM
  8. Japan/German Nukes (was: ATTEMPTED JAPANESE COUP) (2)
  9. Xerox Copy
 10. GEN: Lies and history
 11. Possible "new Europe" study trips
 12. Japan/German Nukes (2)
 13. World War 2 Music
 14. Fortune Magazine
 15. Ascension Island
 16. Returned mail:Bill Huber
 17. Shooting Downed Pilot (was: Law of Armed Conflict)
 18. INFO: Gestapo and SD
 19. WWII Diary

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 00:09:40 -0500
From:    chris garcia <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Law of Armed Conflict

On Thu, 2 Feb 1995, COL Donnell, Doug wrote:

> There were a few postings last week about attacks on downed pilots so I
> thought I'd dig out some information on the Law of Armed Conflict that might
> be of interest to the List.  While it may seem like war and "playing by the
> rules" are mutually exclusive, there are specific rules regarding what one
> can and can't do (by the rules) during wartime.  Of course, everything is
> subject to interpretation. . .
>
> On the subject of downed pilots -
>
> Persons who, to save themselves, parachute from an aircraft in distress
> should not be attacked while descending.  Once reaching the ground an
> aircrew member should be given the opportunity to surrender before being
> fired upon.  If the aircrew member engages in a hostile act (like shooting
> a weapon), he's fair game.

What you're saying is ideally true, but I think as WWII progressed
thefighting took on a progressively vicious and personal quality.  In the
beginning of the air war, which is pretty much all I know anything about,
there were many instances recorded of traditional chivalry between
pilots.  There is the well known story of Douglas Bader being shot down
over France and becoming the luncheon guest of Adolf Galland and the
Abbeville Kids.  Galland showed him every courtesy short of allowing him
to start up the engine of his personal BF-109.  In his book "The First
and The Last"  Galland recounts his last combat flight, when a Thunderbolt
bounced him and shot up his Me262 jet fighter.  Although he was seriously
wounded, and was running on one engine, he decided against bailing out
knowing the american pilots would strafe him in his chute.  Jet and
Rocket Fighter pilots were especially singled out for this.  Russians
were especially guilty of this.  In his war memoirs "Top Secret
Bird", Wolfgang Spate recounts how three Focke-Wulf pilots
in his group had been strafed in their parachutes by Spitfire pilots in
one afternoon of fighting.  Rules are rules, but when war goes on long
enough it becomes dehumanizing and rules go out the window.  At least
that's how it looks to me.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 00:50:27 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ENOLA GAY EXHIBIT

Rod, I doubt if the scripts could be posted because they are each several
hundreds of pages in length and also contain xeroxes of the photos that were
selected. I know that I wouldn't want to keyboard them. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 00:54:35 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WORLD WAR 2 MUSIC

For the 1st Marine Division, which went to Australia after Guadalcanal, there
were several songs which remain popular to this day. One is "Waltzing Matilda,"
which has become the official march of the 1st Marine Division. A second song
was "Now is the Hour," which I think also went under the name of "The Maori
Farewell." Then, of course, each unit had its own songs, the words to which are
unprintable even today. I am thinking of the words of the march past of Company
C, The Black Watch, which were set to the tune "Road to the Isles." When in
Canada several years ago, I visited a bookstore which was selling a book of
British soldiers' songs entitled "Kiss Me Goodnight, Sergeant Major," which is
a great song in itself. Of course, I am getting away from the thread of WWII
music when I bring up soldiers', sailors', and Marines' songs of the war, which
is a whole different, but interesting, subject. Sidney, I would guess you could
jump in here. Cheers, Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 3 Feb 1995 19:55:27 -1000
From:    John DeVirgilio <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Enola Gay Exhibit

On Fri, 3 Feb 1995, Jaimie Crafton wrote:

> It's interesting, the various comments and opinions on this matter.
> I've been "lurking" in the background, enjoying the postings from the
> group, but I feel I now have something to contribute on this subject.
>
> My sister-in-law has been residing and working in Tokyo for about 2
> years now and was in the "states" for the holidays.  She works in an
> office almost exclusively Japanese and the A-bomb stamp and Enola Gay
> exhibit have been quite the hot topics.  To make a long story short, at
> least her japanese associates are of the opinion that they started it,
> and we ended it the best way we knew how.  She has not heard any
> animosity directed towards her or the U.S. regarding this.  Some of her
> japanese friends even find all the controversy a bit odd.
>
> She paid a visit to the city of Hiroshima to see the memorials and
> museums concerning the bombing(s).  While she did encounter some mixed
> feelings from a few of the "locals" in Hiroshima, the majority still
> viewed it as a consequence of a war THEY STARTED! She did say it was
> kind of eerie seeing that one particular building, that is in all the
> photos, in person.
>
> Anyway, just thought I'de report some "first hand" information.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jaimie Crafton
>

Hi Jaimie C.,

I have several dozen old IJN contacts withwhom I have been corresponding,
and they have stated the same thing.   The Japanese veterans are puzzled
and astonished by all the people (American/Japanese non-veterans),
politicians, and media over the various end of the war issues.  As
far as the old Japanese veterans are concerned, every veteran did the job
they were told to do.  American and Japanese veterans fought many bitter
and tough battles throughout the  Pacific.

Japanese veterans firmly believe that the American veterans did their
absolute best while serving their country.  The Japanese veterans did their
best to serve their country.  Nothing but the best effort was expected during
war.  As ugly as it was, war was war, and many died in the struggle for
the control of the Pacific.

There have been many heart warming reconciliatory meetings between American
and Japanese veterans in Japan and in the United States since the end of
the war.   Friendship has proven stronger than hate.  I am sure that
friendship between old veterans will continue despite all that has been
said to detract from it.  Hopefully, the people who detract from friendship
will not have the last act.

Again, Jaimie, thanks for your post, we need to hear more from the level
headed people like yourself.  I hope more people find room intheir thoughts
and lives for reconciliation and friendship.

Aloha,

John De Virgilio

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 01:49:23 -0500
From:    Thomas Pike <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: KILLING OF GERMAN PR...

James Bacque's OTHER LOSSES aledges US abuses againts German POWs.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 10:23:06 EST
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 05-FEB-1945

On 05-FEB-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the U.S. 1st Army sector, the VII Corps begins to move
its divisions from Belgium towards the line of the Rur River. The 78th
Division opens the attacks toward the Schwammenauel dam on the Rur. In the
7th Army sector, the VI Corps regroups and continues to advance toward the
Rhine. The 79th Division is relieved by the 101st Airborne Division and the
36th Division. In the French 1st Army sector, the Colmar pocket is cut in
two as units of the U.S. XXI Corps link up with the French I Corps. The
French I Corps takes Ensisheim.

Eastern Front - Elbing is still being attack from all sides, in East
Prussia. In the central sector of the front, the Soviets reach the Oder,
only 30 miles from Berlin and outflank the fortified cities of Kuestrin and
Frankfurt. The Germans report that the Russians have forced the crossing of
the upper Oder below Breslau, north and south of Brieg. Fighting continues
within the beleaguered cities of Posen and Budapest.

Italian Front - The U.S. 92nd Division takes Calomini without difficulty
but is held up by resistance on the slopes of M. Faeto.

Philippines - SWPA headquarters approve plans to reopen Manila Bay, a
mission that is assigned to XI Corps. Air action against Corregidor is
intensified. General MacArthur orders that the Japanese in northern Luzon
be contained while the main effort is directed against the Manila area. The
Japanese withdraw to the river Pasig, on the northern outskirts of Manila,
leaving "scorched earth" in front of the 1st and 37th Division. In the
north, the Japanese hold against attacks by the I Corps in Lupao and Munoz.
In the XI Corps sector, the 38th Division is engaged in heavy fighting in
the area of Zigzag Pass. Some units of the division are forced to retire.
In the 8th Army sector, elements of the 11th Division reach the Paranaque
Bridge, south of Manila.

The Homefront
-------------
Senators Delay Promotions - The Senate has approved the promotion of three
Army officers to the rank of lieutenant general and 28 to major generals
but hold up for a week the promotion of 78 colonels to brigadier generals
in order to investigate the case of Col. Elliott Roosevelt, second son of
the President and one of those up for advancement.

Georgia Poll Tax Repeal Passed - Legislative action on repealing the
Georgia poll tax has been completed in Atlanta when the Senate passes a
House substitute bill restoring permanent registration. The measure now
goes to Gov. Ellis Arnall, who has urged its passage.

Tanker Explosion - The American tanker Springhill has been virtually
destroyed by an explosion and fire in upper New York Bay after being
rammed by the Panamanian tanker Pan-Clio. Nineteen men have been killed, 15
to 20 are missing and 121 are injured.

Basketball Gambling Scandal - Five Brooklyn College basketball players have
admitted they accepted a $1,000 bribe to "throw" a game with Akron
University in Boston on January 31. A Kings County grand jury has indicted
Harvey Stemmer, Henry Rosen and a John Doe known only as "Danny" on charges
of conspiracy to cheat and defraud persons who would have bet on the
contest. Bail for each is set at $25,000. The players - Robert Leder,
Lawrence Pearlstein, Stanley Simon, Jerome Greene and Bernard Barrett - are
named as co-conspirators but there are no charges filed against them. The 5
players have been expelled from the college however.

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           | [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 | http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 07:30:46 -0800
From:    Steve New <[email-masked]>
Subject: ?from high school student JRM

From: "Margaret J. McCormick" <[email-masked]>
Subject:      ?from high school student JRM

 Members of the group,

>  If the first bomb was so destructive and awful, why did Japan not
>surrender and avoid being bombed again?

 > I would appreciate any information or opinions on why?  Thank
>you. JRM

>margaret                       [email-masked]

This is my own opinion, and I'll gladly subject it to the test of
more knowledgeable list members, but I believe that it took two
bombs to finally convince the Emperor that Japan could not
continue to fight.

It is clear that the decision had to be made by the Emperor himself.
The military command consisted of Generals and Admirals steeped in
the Bushido tradition, a code of honor going back almost a
thousand years, that forbade surrender.  You fought as long as you
could, and if overrun, died honorably in combat.  Should fate
somehow prevent you from dying in combat, you corrected that
oversight by committing "hara kiri" (ritual suicide).  To
surrender was to lose all honor, a fate far worse than death.

It was clear to the high command, in the months immediately before
the atomic bombings, that Japan could not win the war.  It's fleet
was destroyed, it's merchant marine decimated, it's colonies full
of raw materials were in allied hands (except for China, but the
war there cost more than it gained).  The plans being made for the
defense of the home islands were not expected to defeat the
allies, but to inflict as much damage on them as they possibly
could.  Only in fighting as hard and as long as possible, until the
last bit of blood was drained from the Japanese people, could
honor be maintained.

The pain and suffering that would be inflicted on the populace
weren't a consideration.  Every Japanese was expected to sacrifice
for the good of the empire.  Remember, in their eyes, the good of
the empire was measured in terms of honor, not well being.

This was all well and good as long as Japan and the Allies were
fighting in the same arena, in technological terms.  As long as
the Allies were expected to invade, placing millions of lives on
the line, Japan could fight back man to man, give as bad as it got,
and maintain honor.

The destruction of the Atomic bomb, by itself, was not enough to
cause the surrender.  Many Japanese cities, including Tokyo
itself, were far more devastated through conventional bombing than
Hiroshima and Nagasaki were by A-bombs.  The difference was that
Japan could fight back against conventional attacks, shooting down
dozens of bombers, and maintain her honor.  In these new attacks,
the Allies could destroy the nation without even placing themselves
at risk (single B-29s could easily be defended by enough fighters
to make any attempt to intercept them futile).

Here we had a new equation, where the Empire would be destroyed
without being allowed to maintain it's honor by fighting back.
Even so, only the Emperor himself could make that decision.  The
military commanders just could not bring themselves to that
decision, their honor wouldn't let them.  I hope you have had the
opportunity to read the three recent posts by Mike Yaklich that
showed just how close the military came to even overriding the
Emperor.

--

Steve L. New
[email-masked]
Just an armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 07:40:13 -0800
From:    Steve New <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japan/German Nukes (was: ATTEMPTED JAPANESE COUP)

You wrote:

>
>On Fri, 3 Feb 1995, Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs. wrote:
>
>> It has been my understanding that both germany and japan has abomb
projects
>> in some stage of development during the war. Perhaps someone could
provide
>> more definite info?
>
>I don't know about the German project, but the evidence (post-war)
showed
>that the Japanese were pursuing the wrong path (i.e. making a bomb that
>would never work). Perhaps someone else could fill us in on the
details.
>I don't remember if it was on Milhst-l or here, but this was discussed
>about 1/2 yr ago. BTW, Japan does have a nuclear program now which has
>produced warheads _and_ missiles which are arguably superior to the
>American and Soviet (Russian) ones. Everyone knows that the real
>difficulty of developing a nuclear threat is developing a delivery
system
>(I mean, threat to North America). Japan has developed satellite
>launching missiles which could _easily_ be converted to launch nuclear
>weapons. I'm not suggesting that the Japanese have any designs on
bombing
>N America (or anywhere else), just thought y'all would be interested in
>this little-reported story. Sorry Joe, enough non-wwii babble. If
anyone
>wants a copy of a short piece I wrote on this, e-mail me @
[email-masked]
>Cheers,
>David Rising
Both the German and Japanese programs were based on heavy water
extraction, i.e. separating the deuterium from the normal hydrogen in
water.  Deuterium is used in Hydrogen bombs, as the substance that is
fused to produce energy.  Unfortunately for the Axis, in order to
produce the proper environment for hydrogen fusion, you need the energy
of a fission bomb.  If successful in thier attempts the Axis would have
had a weapon with no fuse to ignite it.  Remember how much effort the US
put into producing only 3 little fission bombs.

--

Steve L. New
[email-masked]
Just an armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 08:32:20 PST
From:    Gerry Walker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Xerox Copy

Like several others, I too would be interested in this. Please let me know
how you plan to distribute it or make it available.

Cheers

Gerry

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 09:37:29 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: INF: 50 Years Ago - 05-FEB-1945

>From:         John Davis <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      INF: 50 Years Ago - 05-FEB-1945
>To:           Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>

>The Homefront
>-------------
>Senators Delay Promotions - The Senate has approved the promotion of three
>Army officers to the rank of lieutenant general and 28 to major generals
>but hold up for a week the promotion of 78 colonels to brigadier generals
>in order to investigate the case of Col. Elliott Roosevelt, second son of
>the President and one of those up for advancement.

John,

Don't leave us hanging. What is (was) the "case of Col. Elliott Roosevelt"?

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 13:16:57 -0500
From:    "Matthew R. Burchette" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: GEN: Lies and history

Cheryl,
As a graduate student in Museum Studies it is my job to make sure that I
learn as much as possible about the field before I enter the job market. One
of the things that I have been mulling over in my mind the past couple o'
days has been was the Enola Gay exhibit really a case of revisionist history?
At this point and time I am prepared to say no. I have stated on this list
before that I feel the exhibit designers and staff were veiwing the war and
thge bombing through their own set of values and life experiences. The
veterans and civilians who were a part of the war are going to see the
Japanese people and the bombing in a totally different light than a person
that has grown up in the 50s or is a poor member of "Generation X."
I think that the designers and staff of the Smithsonian were honestly trying
to do their best but due to unavoidable differences they fell short. I do not
feel that the ensuing scandle was handled appropriately by the museum but we
all learn as we go.
I'm more than sure that my views will be unpopular but that's my two cents
worth.
Matthew

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 08:37:26 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Enola Gay Exhibit

On Fri, 3 Feb 1995, John DeVirgilio wrote:

snip snip
>
> Japanese veterans firmly believe that the American veterans did their
> absolute best while serving their country.  The Japanese veterans did their
> best to serve their country.  Nothing but the best effort was expected during
> war.  As ugly as it was, war was war, and many died in the struggle for
> the control of the Pacific.
>
> There have been many heart warming reconciliatory meetings between American
> and Japanese veterans in Japan and in the United States since the end of
> the war.   Friendship has proven stronger than hate.  I am sure that
> friendship between old veterans will continue despite all that has been
> said to detract from it.  Hopefully, the people who detract from friendship
> will not have the last act.
>
> Again, Jaimie, thanks for your post, we need to hear more from the level
> headed people like yourself.  I hope more people find room intheir thoughts
> and lives for reconciliation and friendship.
>
>
> Aloha,
>
> John De Virgilio
>
John D., thanks for your post.  I find it so moving to watch at the
Arizona Memorial (as I know you have too) our Pearl Harbor veterans that
volunteer at the park, people like former Marine Dick Fiske, a buglar on
the Battleship West Virginia, as he meets with former Japanese pilots
that attacked Pearl Harbor, and to hear the stories they tell each other,
the laughter, the tears, the emotions that they can now share with each
other.  These veterans are able to now stand together, reflect on the
past, remember their fallen brothers, and pray for a better future.  In
these almost daily occurances, you see understanding and compassion as
they mutually respect each others experiences.

I can understand that not all veterans are able to be as reconcilitory in
all cases as we see at the Memorial, and we have on occasion see that
there (amoungst the US, not the Japanese), but what I find so hard to
understand are the instances of hate and racism that I have seen
expressed by Americans that are 1 and 2 generations removed from WWII.

For me, the beauty of memorials is to provide future generations
reminders of what those before them sacrificed for what they believed in,
to remind us of their courage, their deeds, their lives that they gave up
for the lives of the future generation.  A memorial can keep alive the
history of the past so that we do not forget it, because that is
dangerous.  But equally dangerous is to keep alive the hatred from the
past.  Memorials can also provide the tool to mend wounds and heal so
that we can then also learn from the past and move to the future.  The
future is hopefully the better world that our veterans and their fallen
brothers fought for.

I'm sorry for getting off the topic here, but I find it hard to not get
wrapped up in the emotions that are daily expressed at the Memorial.
Even when it is crowded with the tour buses, and the lines are backed up
to the parking lot, and the rangers are pulling their hair out dying for
a break, you look deep into the crowd at the faces and you see lots of
sensitivity and emotion in those that have come to visit.  There must be
a reason for why so many want to come to a memorial; to learn, to pay
their respects...

Aloha,

Jim Adams
USS Arizona Memorial

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 11:10:25 -0800
From:    Eric Fenster <[email-masked]>
Subject: Possible "new Europe" study trips

I have written to this list before re. study trips to Moscow (and anybody
wishing to consider the one from May 27-June 27 should contact me for
detailed information quickly).

This message is to explore possible interest in another kind of foreign study
trips. They would essentially revive and revise study trips which I used to
organize to Paris.

I'd like to get and idea of whether you might want to participate in such
courses or if you belong to an organization or institution which might want
to cooperate in offering them.

These would deal with the major changes going in West Europe, but could
include the evolution in East Europe and new East-West relations as well.

As with the Moscow courses:

1) The trips would study political, economic and social issues in the life of
the country, countries or blocs.

2) The trips would last 3-5 weeks and would be open to all interested adults,
not just "students."  Costs would be kept minimal.

These two factors would distinguish them from travel study which does not
take into account the time constraints on working people and which tend to
focus on art & culture and not the other factors of countries' existence.

Possible itinerary and content (schematic and non-exclusive) might include:

1) Time in Brussels, capital of the European Union (EU). Briefing seminars at
headquarters of the EU, NATO. Issues of urban development (crucial because
large parts of the city are being remade for the benefit of the international
bureaucracies), nationality conflicts and federalism (the division of Belgium
into French- and Flemish-speaking populations). Business relations between
Europe and North America.

2) Time in Paris. Issues of immigrant labor, influences of ethnic relations
and xenophobia (especially with regard to North Africa) on French and
European politics, public transport policy (Metro, etc., rail transport
including the high-speed networks), seminars at international organizations
(UNESCO, OECD), privatization and economic relations, cultural policies.

3) Time on an "educational farm" in a ski and forest area near the Swiss
border (travel by TGV train). Participation in the day-to-day work of the
farm. Discussions on rural development and disintegration; the relationships
of technology, education and work (Europe has about 12% unemployment, which
is much higher among youth, who see few perspectives); environment and
tourism. Visits to Besancon and to Geneva, seminars at international
organizations in the latter (UN, International Labor Organization, Red
Cross).

It is conceivable that we could do a trip with a couple weeks in West Europe
and a couple weeks in Russia.

These courses could be organized at various times of the year. The times
would be influenced by low-cost residential possibilities. Brussels should be
available year-round. In Paris there is more availability when universities
are closed for summer. The farm is not available during school holidays
because they are already receiving groups.

Please help by reacting. I will be returning to Paris early in March and
could start making arrangements on the basis of responses.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 13:46:50 -0600
From:    Bruno Wroblewski <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japan/German Nukes (was: ATTEMPTED JAPANESE COUP)

On Sat, 4 Feb 1995, Steve New wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> >
> >On Fri, 3 Feb 1995, Steven Pudlo, Dept. Computer Svcs. wrote:
> >
> >> It has been my understanding that both germany and japan has abomb
> projects
> >> in some stage of development during the war. Perhaps someone could
> provide
> >> more definite info?
> >
> >I don't know about the German project, but the evidence (post-war)
> showed
> >that the Japanese were pursuing the wrong path (i.e. making a bomb that
> >would never work). Perhaps someone else could fill us in on the
> details.
> >I don't remember if it was on Milhst-l or here, but this was discussed
> >about 1/2 yr ago. BTW, Japan does have a nuclear program now which has
> >produced warheads _and_ missiles which are arguably superior to the
> >American and Soviet (Russian) ones. Everyone knows that the real
> >difficulty of developing a nuclear threat is developing a delivery
> system
> >(I mean, threat to North America). Japan has developed satellite
> >launching missiles which could _easily_ be converted to launch nuclear
> >weapons. I'm not suggesting that the Japanese have any designs on
> bombing
> >N America (or anywhere else), just thought y'all would be interested in
> >this little-reported story. Sorry Joe, enough non-wwii babble. If
> anyone
> >wants a copy of a short piece I wrote on this, e-mail me @
> [email-masked]
> >Cheers,
> >David Rising
> >
> >
> Both the German and Japanese programs were based on heavy water
> extraction, i.e. separating the deuterium from the normal hydrogen in
> water.  Deuterium is used in Hydrogen bombs, as the substance that is
> fused to produce energy.  Unfortunately for the Axis, in order to
> produce the proper environment for hydrogen fusion, you need the energy
> of a fission bomb.  If successful in thier attempts the Axis would have
> had a weapon with no fuse to ignite it.  Remember how much effort the US
> put into producing only 3 little fission bombs.
>
>
> --
>
> Steve L. New
> [email-masked]
> Just an armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.
>

For more information on the Japanese program you might check page 346
of "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes
        Bruno

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 16:23:36 -0500
From:    Henry Herz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japan/German Nukes

> > >...BTW, Japan does have a nuclear program now which has
> > >produced warheads _and_ missiles which are arguably superior to the
> > >American and Soviet (Russian) ones....
> > >Cheers,
> > >David Rising
> > >

David-

Exsqueeze me!!!  I have NEVER heard that the Japanese have nuclear weapons
(reactors, yes).  That would be in violation of their constitution.  My
understanding is that only the US, former USSR, Britain, France, PRC, India,
Israel & probably Pakistan and South Africa have nukes.  Would you please
provide a reference for that claim for Japan.  Thanks.

-Henry

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 15:03:27 -0600
From:    Greg Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: World War 2 Music

A A A R R G G H H ! ! !

all four of her albums in my collection were German labels-- you mean she
was THAT close all these years?? Talk about your missed opportunities--
first Marlene Dietrich cancels her '74 Chicago concert appearance (and us
with front row seats & a LOLA banner), and now Lale in Winnipeg.  This is
even worse than Mike not finding anything on the DACIA.

A A A R R G G H H ! ! !  (again!)

                                          Glad To Be Of Service!

                                          Greg Kelley
                                          St. Paul Public Library
                                          [email-masked]

On Wed, 1 Feb 1995, Sidney Allinson wrote:

> 'be a good idea to also include LILI MARLENE --
>
>  Originally an obscure song by a
> little-known German singer, the record was played over the German
> army radio station in Belgrade, for transmission to the Afrika Korps
> in Libya.  The singer was Lale Andersen.  Her song became so popular
>
> Lale Andersen did not make any money, despite the popularity of her
> rendition.  She emigrated to Canada after the war, and died a few
> years ago in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
>
> Regards -- Sidney  (and you're all lucky this isn't *voice-mail* ! )
>
>
> --
>

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 16:46:54 -0500
From:    Laurie Peloquin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Fortune Magazine

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, mc killop wrote:

> I have an unconfirmed report that Fortune magazine published a survey in
> late 1945 or early 1946 indicating that 22% of Americans thought the war
> in the Pacific had ended too soon, i.e., before we could really blast the
> Japanese.

I haven't noticed a reply to this yet, but I have located the survey.  It
is in the December 1945 issue of Fortune.  Here is the question, the
answers, and the commentary which followed this section:

"Which of these comes closest to describing how you feel about our use of
the atomic bomb?"

We should not have used any atomic bombs at all                  4.5%
We should have dropped one first on some unpopulated region,
  to show the Japanese its power, and dropped the second
  one on a city only if they hadn't surrendered after the
  first one                                                     13.8%
We should have used the two bombs on cities, just as
  we did                                                        53.5%
We should have quickly used many more of them before
  Japan had a chance to surrender                               22.7%
Don't know                                                       5.5%

"The poor and traditionally fire-eating pelple of the south western
states turned in a larger minority (nearly 30%) for the last and most
destructive course suggested.  The well-to-do and the well-educated
turned in larger than average minorities for the two milder courses of
action, smaller minorities for extreme violence.  And Negroes, differing
radically from the poor followed a pattern similar to the well-to-do.  In
further analysis of the answers there is support for those who believe
that war is bred by violent thoughts.  Of those who expect a big war in
the next thirty years 27.3% were in favor of maximum use of the bombs.
But only 18.8% of those who believe another big war may be avoided also
thought Japan should have been plastered with atomic bombs."

The survey is quite long, and broken into topics called, "The next war",
"Germany and Japan", "The atomic bomb", "High command", and "Truman and
transition".  I have a very poor photocopy if anyone is interested in the
rest of it.

Laurie Peloquin
Wilfred Laurier University

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 16:39:46 -0600
From:    Terrence Lindell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ascension Island

On Feb. 2 Bruno Wroblewski posted a message about Ascension Island, asking
about the sorts of aircraft that passed through their, supplies for the
garrison, etc.

I have access to the National Air & Space Museum archival videodisc that
contains the USAF WWII Overseas photo collection (about 50,000 images).  I
looked up what it had on Ascension Island and found about 120 images.  I
know nothing about the numbers of aircraft that passed through there, but
I found images of the following a/c types:  P-39, B-25, C-47, C-54, B-17,
and B-26.

The island looked pretty bleak during WWII.  What I found most interesting
was a section of photos on agriculture.  There were apparently extensive
facilities, including a hydroponics lab, to raise food for the troops
stationed there.

Terry Lindell
Department of History
Wartburg College
Waverly, Iowa  50677
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 17:46:23 -0500
From:    David Rising <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japan/German Nukes

Before this goes too far, I want to clarify my original post because
I missed an important word--"capability". Japan does not have nuclear
weapons (that anyone knows of) but they do have the materials and the
technology to produce them _and_ have been stockpiling plutonium. They do
also have a solid fuel rocket with which they could launch them if they
wished. Sorry about the confusion I may have created.
David Rising

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 19:34:29 EST
From:    Charles Mattocks <[email-masked]>
Subject: Returned mail:Bill Huber

Sorry for posting this to the list, thought this made it!

>
> Howdy, Bill!
>
> Terry Moore said you might send me the info on Mr. Holzinger.
>
> Also Smedley Butler won two CMoH's in 1914 and 1915.  He almost won a third in
> 1900, but at the time Marine officers were not allowed to receive such an honor.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Semper Fi!!
> Chip Mattocks
> [email-masked]
>
suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 20:02:07 -0600
From:    Chuck Johnson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Shooting Downed Pilot (was: Law of Armed Conflict)

> . . .  In his book "The First
> and The Last"  Galland recounts his last combat flight, when a Thunderbolt
> bounced him and shot up his Me262 jet fighter.  Although he was seriously
> wounded, and was running on one engine, he decided against bailing out
> knowing the american pilots would strafe him in his chute.  Jet and
> Rocket Fighter pilots were especially singled out for this. . . .

Is there anyone on the Allied side that can confirm that this was done?

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 5 Feb 1995 09:59:56 +0700
From:    "Peter E. Beal" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Enola Gay Exhibit

I would like to add a bit to the posting of Jaimie Crafton:

I have Japanese friend who I have known since 1963.  His family is from
Hiroshima and in 1970 I visited his family there.  He and the other
members of his family were staying at the family country home but his
father was in the downtown area when the bomb was dropped.  He survived
and suffered only a cut across his upper lip which left a (not very
noticable) scar.

The father told me that he didn't mind the scar since before the women
chased after him; once he had it they stopped.

Incidently, his wife, my friend's mother, once she found I was single,
wanted to marry me off to one of the eligible women employees of their
company.

Perhaps all this was because I was a friend of their son, but I thought
their cordiality was not only inbred but sincere.

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 22:32:11 EST
From:    William Lippert <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO: Gestapo and SD

Hello all,
   I am still working on my paper for Richard Breitman's Nazi Germany class
about the Gestapo and the SD.  I have only begun my research, which has
consisted at glancing at a few books.  The paper, I believe, will focus
on the ORGANIZATIONAL history.  This means that major events, such as the
Anschluss, Blomberg-Fritsch affair, Night of the Long Knives, etc. will only
be discussed insofar as they effected the organizations; thus, this excludes
a detailed discussion of their participation in those events.  The reason
for this is that all the major events such as those listed have been
extensively covered in other works.  It is not my goal to retell them
from a slightly different point of view.
    I do, however, have certain questions which I hope that some might be
able to answer.  First, how closely did the Gestapo work with the Orpo?
I ask this because, while both were under Himmler, the Gestapo was part
of the Sipo and Heydrich while the Orpo was under Kurt Daluege.  Therefore,
there was a seperation at the upper elechon of the police and, I imagine,
it was fairly intense given the personality of Heydrich.  Did this persist
to the lower levels of cooperation?  Additionally, did the Gestapo carry
out all of its arrests on its own or did they use various SS or civil
service persons?
    Second question: What were the differences in the operations of the Gestapo
and the SD abroad?  They two are often mentioned in the same sentence when
speaking of fomenting the Nazi movements in Austria or Czechoslovakia.  In
fact, the party itself added to the mosaic of foreign operatives.  Were these
organizations given seperate tasks or were they all doing the same thing?
    Third, on internal Reich affairs, the Gestapo had responsibility to
look to the security of the Reich as Political police.  The SD had the
responsibility to look to the security of the Reich as the Party Intelligence
Service.  But, by 1934, the Reich became little more than an extension of
the Party (in the view of Hitler) and therefore the SD monitored non-party
environments such as universities, churches, etc.  Besides the fact that
the Gestapo had the responsibility of arresting, imprisoning, etc., what
were the practical differences between the two.  In theory, the Gestapo
was a state organization, while the SD was a party organization.  But, as I
mentioned, the party and state were almost one.

Third question: In operations in occupied territories and in particular the
securing of power and eventually the Final Solution, both the SD and Gestapo
were involved.  Was there any differences in their roles?

Thank you for any help you might be able to give.  If anyone would like,
I can upload copies of the paper if I ever get it finished.

William Lippert
The American University
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 20:10:24 -0800
From:    dew567359 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Diary

        ****I just stopped by to drop off something that one of your members
thought would be a worthwhile addition to your List.  Nicole

        This is the unabridged diary as kept by Manny Macias the brother
of Dr. Macias, a professor in our Languages department.  It is a part of our
Univeristy's archives.****:

May 9, 1944     Went to Santa Barbara.

5/10    Sun.    Reported back to camp.

5/11    Mon.    Started packing.

5/12    Tue.    Continued packing.

5/13    Wed.    Got orders.  Pulled out at 2:30.  Boarded troop sleeper,
                rode south all day.  Took calisthenics in Yermo.

5/14    Thur.   Woke up in Nevada, rode all day.  Reached SL City at night.

5/15    Fri.    Rode all day in Nevada.  Rode through the Rockies, very
                beautiful.

5/16    Sat.    Went through Colo.  Ate supper in K.C.

5/17    Sun.    Woke up in St. Louis.  Had Mass in a field outside of town.
                Took exercises in Indiana.

5/18    Mon.    Rode all day in W. Va.  Reached Wash. D.C late at night.

5/19    Tue.    Reached Camp Kilmer, N.J. early.  Went to barracks, had
                inspection.

5/20    Wed.    Wrote four letters.  Had clothing inspection.

5/21    Thur.   Saw movies, had boat drill.

5/22    Fri.    Nothing unusual.

5/23    Sat.    Got pass, went to N.Y. to find cousins, couldn't.  Went
                to show, saw Andrew Sisters in person.

5/24    Sun.    Saw cousins.  Spent evening with them.

5/25    Mon.    Had another pass, went to Rockerfeller Center on tour.
                Bought present for Mom bday.  Spent evening in Stage Door
                Canteen.

5/26    Tue.    Had final clothing check.

5/27    Wed.    Began packing, cleaned area, marched to train.  Rolled every-
                thing up.

5/28    Thur.   Finished packing, cleaned area, marched to train.  Rode
                for 1 1/2 hr to ferry.  Rode ferry to N.Y. harbor and got on
                U.S.S. Hermitage formerly Conte De Savoia.  Got installed in
                B Deck.

5/29    Fri.    Woke up out at sea, got sick.  Went aft for Orientation.  Saw
                convoy.

5/30    Sat.    Sick all day.  Got paid.

6/1     Sun.    Too sick to go to Mass on fantail.

6/2     Mon.    Sick all day.

6/3     Tue.    Sick all day.

6/4     Wed.    Sick all day.  Spent some time on deck but of not much use.

6/5     Thur.   Sick all day.  Spent some time on deck but of not much use.

6/5     Thur.   Felt little better today.  Ate a little.  Spent a lot of
                time on deck reading.  Felt good.

6/6     Fri.    Felt pretty fair today.

6/7     Sat.    Felt fine, got out and watched convoy.  Was hungry for change.

6/8     Sun.    Got up late but went to Mass in Officer's mess room.  Spent
                most of rest of day below deck.

6/9     Mon.    Sighted land, was in sight all day.  Toward night we swung
                toward Southhampton.

6/10    Tue.    Woke up docked.  Was on board all day, Navy band played
                for us.  At night we unloaded took short train ride and
                got off at Tisbury, walked couple miles to camp.  Got
                baggage, little chow, assigned to nissen huts, made beds,
                turned in.

END OF FIRST PART OF DIARY

10/11/44 Wed.   Went to sleep, was cold during night.  No formations except
                for purposes of giving out information.

10/12   Thur.   Got up late-worked on sociology assignment, played cards.

10/13   Fri.    Nothing unusual today.

10/14   Sat.    Nothing unusual today.

10/15   Sun.    Nothing unusual today.

10/16   Mon.    Training schedule out.  I was on guard at Bn.

10/17   Tue.    Wrote few letters, got one from Frances.

10/18   Wed.    Went to sleep, was cold during night.  No formations except
                for purposes of giving out information.

10/19   Thur.   Nothing unusual today.

10/20   Fri.    Nothing unusual today.

10/21   Sat.    Nothing unusual today.

10/22   Sun.    Nothing unusual today.

10/23   Mon.    Nothing unusual today.

10/24   Tue.    Nothing unusual today.

10/25   Wed.    Nothing unusual today.

10/26   Thur.   Went on hike, went to PX afterwords and got rations.

10/27   Fri.    Went on long hike, Red Cross wagon with coffee and doughnuts
                was at Bn.  Sure tasted good.

10/28   Sat.    Finished reading Tree Grows In Brooklyn.  Had quite a few
                discussions with boys in Hut at night.

10/29   Sun.    Got up late but ate breakfast, had a fried egg.  Stayed in hut
                all day.

(Confusion of days and dates at this point)

****Checking calendars of the period, I have presumed to straighten out the
date confusion and obviate the need to call for a missing entry re:
10/31...Nicole****

10/30   Mon.    Nothing unusual today.  (Mon. crossed out-Sun. substituted)

10/31   Tue.    (This entry is missing).  Nothing unusual today.

11/1/44 Wed.    Nothing unusual today.

11/2    Thur.   Got paid today.

11/3    Fri.    (Friday missing)

11/4    Sat.    On K.P. today.

11/5    Sun.    Spent day in barracks slopping.

11/6    Mon.    Nothing unusual today.

11/7    Tue.    Nothing unusual today.

11/8    Wed.    Was on guard at motor pool.  Shift was long and rugged.

11/9    Thur.   Nothing unusual.

11/10   Fri.    Nothing unusual.

11/11   Sat.    Armistice Day-bought poppies from girls.  Washed field
                jacket.  Signed up for pass to London.

11/12   Sun.    Spent day reading.

11/13   Mon.    Shapiro and I rode train to London, caught cab, rode to Hans
                Crescent Club.  Had dinner.  Went for walk, then back to club
                for show.

11/14   Tue.    Shapiro and I went on tour of sights, saw lots of sights.  We
                ate dinner at American Embassy club with Shapiro's friend,
                Mr. Lyons and oldest daughter.  Went for walk all
                afternoon and sgt. and I went to his home for supper.
                Met whole family.  Had a pleasant eve.  Really enjoyed pass.
                Had buzz bomb raid later in eve.

11/15   Wed.    Came back to camp today.

11/16   Thur.   Spent part of day cleaning M. guns.

11/17   Fri.    Got letter from Pop.

11/18   Sat.    Played football in afternoon.  Chopped wood later.  Spent
                evening in barracks reading.

11/19   Sun.    Slept late.

11/20   Mon.    Nothing unusual.

11/21   Tue.    Nothing unusual.

11/22   Wed.    Nothing unusual.

11/23   Thur.   Thanksgiving.  Had good meal.  Wrote home.

11/24   Fri.    Nothing unusual.

11/25   Sat.    Nothing unusual.

11/26   Sun.    K.P. today.

11/27   Mon.    Nothing unusual.

11/28   Tues.   Nothing unusual.

11/29   Wed.    Nothing unusual.

11/30   Thur.   Got paid today.

12/1/44 Fri.    Got package from Frances.

12/2    Sat.    Got bedrolls.  Washed clothes, went to show.

12/3    Sun.    Flopped it up all day.

12/4    Mon.    Was on guard duty.  Stayed in all day.

12/5    Tue.    Got 6 letters at mail call.

12/6    Wed.    Nothing unusual.

12/7    Thur.   Nothing unusual.

12/8    Fri.    Worked all day.

12/9    Sat.    Stayed in.

12/10   Sun.    Went to Mass.

12/11   Mon.    Rumors out that we are leaving.

12/12   Tue.    Lots of letters and packages in.  Have hut fixed up with
                tree and colored paper.

12/13   Wed.    Read.  Nothing unusual.

12/14   Thur.   Had to practice combat loading.  The halftracks were
                leaving soon.  Left Fonthill today and rode train to
                Southhampton.  Walked long way to camp.  Spent all day
                in camp.  Were restricted to area.  Had C-rations and
                slept in 5-man tents.

12/15   Fri.    Got up early, marched down to docks and loaded on
                transports.  Pulled out and anchored in harbor, stayed
                all day.

12/16   Sat.    Had hard night.  Early in morning ship left harbor and we
                landed in Cherbourg.  Harbor full of sunken ships.
                Unloaded from boat, loaded on trucks, rode to field outside
                of Rennes and pitched pup tents.

12/17   Sun.    Rained all night.  Got clothes and bedroll wet.  Loaded on
                halftracks and headed south.  Reached town of Rennes and
                proceeded to airport.  Rumor is we are heading south to break
                pocket at St. Nazaire.

12/18   Mon.    Still at airport.  Division beginning to assemble here.

12/19   Tue.    Still at airport.  PX rations in.

12/20   Wed.    Rumours are that the Germans are attacking up front, sounds
                bad.  We left airport and began riding north.  Rode halftracks,
                weather cold as hell.  Bivouacked with Higgisson.

12/21   Thur.   Broke bivouac and left early on halftracks, weather still
                cold as hell.  Higgisson and I pitched pup tents agan(sic)
                together.

12/22   Fri.    News bad from the front.  Rode thru Paris, got loaves of bread.
                On outskirts people scared as German paratroopers have
                dropped.  Went through Chateau-Thierry.  Saw monument way
                off on hill top.  Bivouaked(sic) with Higgisson on field
                where big battle had been fought.  No more fires after tonight.

12/23   Sat.    Rode all day, cold, few miles beyond Reims came to a big
                French Cavalry Camp, Camp Sisson, stayed there all night.
                Was glad to get a billet.  Red Cross had coffee and doughnuts.

12/24   Sun.    Got our duffle bags, were told to get everything we needed
                out of them as we wouldn't see them for awhile.  Weather
                terribly cold.  Wrote letters home.  Washed clothes, cleaned
                up, shaved, etc.  Paratroopers stationed here had band and
                gave a show for us in the Red Cross club.  Colored boys sang
                Christmas hymns.  Walked back to barracks and band played
                Xmas carols.  Ice on ground, weather cold, homesick as hell.
                Lieutenant says Germans have surrounded 3 Inf. and 2 Arm'd
                Divisions.  News sounds bad.

12/25   Mon.    Left Camp Sisson, moved out to some woods in mobile
                reserve.  Had Xmas turkey, cold.  Shapiro had bottle, passed
                it around.

12/26   Tue.    Weather colder.

12/27   Wed.    Weather cold, cutting wood, for fire best way to keep warm.
                German plane flew over tonight.

12/28   Thur.   Pulled out from woods, headed toward front.  Crossed Belgian
                border.

12/29   Fri.    Rumors flying.  We are supposed to clean out towns.  Fr. Galvin
                gave us General absolution.  Some boys the 21st have already
                been killed.  It snowed at night.

12/30   Sat.    Travelled around on highways.  Saw P-47's strafing in distance.
                Saw ambulances with wounded.  We were in New Chateau area,
                Bastogne 21 km.

12/31   Sun.    Piled out of halftracks.  Got all equipment and started off.
                Went through woods and Flad stepped on shoe mine blew foot
                off.  Went up to hilltop and began digging in.  Germans
                spotted us and sent mortar, artillery and sniper fire.  We
                began digging in and ground was frozen.  Took all day for Lopez
                and me to dig hole.  Several boys killed several wounded.  At
                night tanks and infantry counter attacked and captured some
                boys in 1st platoon.  Higgisson and Sobrowsky captured.  We
                drove them off but they inflicted some damage on us.  Boinski
                joined us in a hole.

1945 1/1/45 Mon.Counted 17 dead Germans in front of my hole.  Some artillery
                fire today.  Hulbert and Shapiro shot.

1/2     Tue.    Things quieting down.  P 47's strafing town over hill.
                C-company four tanks attacked town and Germans drove them out.
                Could count 4 tanks burning over hill.  Got mail in today,
                improved foxhole.  Rumored we get relieved soon.

1/3     Wed.    Had New Year turkey today.  Sure tasted good.  We're relieved
                by 17th airborne boys.  Pulled back in halftrack 2 miles
                and dug in again-mobile.  Went to aid station to have feet
                checked.  Came back and Bolinger and I used pick and shovel
                to dig big hole, got straw and laid bed rolls out and went
                to sleep.

1/4     Thur.   Snowed during night-bedrolls covered.  Rumored that billets
                waiting for us.

1/5     Fri.    Still here.  Went to barn and cleaned guns.  Slept in barn.

1/6     Sat.    Took turns spending nights in barn and machine gun outpost.

1/7     Sun.    Bolinski has had case of piles and had to be evacuated.

1/8     Mon.    Mail and PX rations in.  Got letter from Art.  Shirley expecting
                sometime end of this month.

1/9     Tue.    Mail in.  Got letter from Jimmie.  Went to barn for shave.
                Snow on ground.  Weather cold.

1/10    Wed.    Tore down fences and sheds for firewood.  Rumors that 17
                Airborne got Hell knocked out of them.

1/11    Thur.   Artillery behind us firing all time.  War news according to
                Stars and Stripes still not good.

1/12    Fri.    Orders came suddenly to pull out this afternoon.  Battalion
                loaded up and moved out.  Passed infantry joes moving up on
                foot.  Heading North.  Weather getting colder.  Passed
                beat up towns, destroyed GI and German tanks, dead
                cattle-German cemeteries.  Lopez has charge of squad, got us
                billets in barn.  I had second relief on guard, windy as
                hell.  Orders no light at night at all, we are in Bastogne
                perimeter.

1/13    Sat.    Began driving.  Lopez and I with one gun.  Passed several
                towns-all empty.  Met some boys of 101st Airborne in fox
                holes and they sure had it rugged.  Lopez and I dug in
                together.

1/14    Sun.    Went into woods 1/2 mi from Longchamps and caught it
                rough.  Bolinger shot by sniper, Chernoff bad hit by
                mortar shrapnel.  Hanto shot by burp gun, Petty hit by
                shrapnel, Lt. Krutcheon killed, Lt. Thorpe hit in leg,
                Lopez hit at night, had my overcoat ripped by shrapnel.
                Dug in at night with Hanson-am only man left in squad-
                Company shot to Hell, no non-coms left in second platoon.

1/15    Mon.    Lt. Dunn killed.  What's left of company began following
                82nd Airborne which was attacking.  Waste is appalling.
                Equipment thrown all over area.  Saw few dead GI's.  Dug
                in with Zeke Doss.

1/16    Tue.    Shoved off today.  Went down to road and loaded up
                in halftracks and rode to spot near highway and dug in.
                Highway full of burned out American tanks.  Rumor that 1
                and 3 armies have made contact.  PX rations and mail came
                in.  Went to aid staion for rest, came back had coffee and
                doughnuts sent up by Red Cross.

1/17    Wed.    Had good night's sleep.  Loaded up moved to town of Hardigny.
                Town as hot as hell.  2nd Platoon out on outpost.  Only 13
                men left so two German dugouts fill bill.  Larkin in charge.

1/18    Thur.   Fernandez and I have guard relief together.  Have to cross
                open field so can go to town for hot chow only morning and
                night when dark.  Weather cold.

1/19    Fri.    Nemic found German ammo can, cut holes and now have stove.

1/20    Sat.    Pulled out just after dark, went to next town.  Started
                digging in.  Hanson got house so I man in foxhole, others
                sleep.  Snowed hard on my relief, got down my neck, dug foxhole
                deeper to keep warm.

1/21    Sun.    Got officially relieved at noon today.  Every(sic) happy,
                got installed in a house down road and cleaned up.  PX
                rations in.  Slept in house.

1/22    Mon.    Have GI's Miserable!  Have to get up dozen times a night.
                Shoe pacs in today.

1/23    Tue.    My hand swollen.  Had to have school ring cut off.

1/24    Wed.    Sgt. Brunner back, loaded on halftracks went back to
                town of Margerotte, Belgium.  Uhernic, Ettinger and I
                together in nice loft over barn.  Got bread and jam from
                kitchen and can of Dubbing for heat.  Barn has oven
                below, went there and got warmed up.

1/25    Thur.   Snowed last night.  Replacements coming into company.  Went
                over to CP, wrote letters home.

1/26    Fri.    More replacements coming in.  Signed up to go to a
                dentist.  Wrote home.

1/27    Sat.    Wrote home.

1/28    Sun.    Church in little Belgian place across the street.

1/29    Mon.    Went to dentist.  Had extraction.

1/30    Tue.    Mail in.

1/31    Wed.    Snow melting, weather warming up.  Got news that Bolinger
                died.  Payday.

2/1/45  Thur.   Went out fired guns.  Hanson in charge of squad.
                Leaving tomorrow.

2/2     Fri.    Left Margerrotte, rode halftracks to Longchamps.
                2nd Platoon took over Belgian house.  Squad had upstairs
                front room.

2/3     Sat.    Went out to field and ran problems with tankers to give
                new men idea of tactics.  Mail came in, had several
                letters, got stationery from Jean and Jo.  Nothing from
                Frances.  Got acquainted with Spain new second in command
                of squad.  Snow all gone.

2/4     Sun.    Loaded up and began riding North.  Hanson says St. Vith not
                taken yet.  Passed lots of torn up towns, saw much dead
                livestock, German tanks.  Began raining.  Late in afternoon
                cross OUR RIVER which has been recently taken, moved to hilltop
                then crossed German border to forest.  Much German equipment
                about.  Took over dugout.  Jumping off tomorrow.

2/5     Mon.    Got up at 2AM breakfast.  2:30 loaded up halftracks, began
                raining, lots of time to think, after long while shoved
                off to nearest town, unloaded, got equipment, took off.
                Walked long ways.  A company ahead of us began bringing
                in prisoners.  Walking wounded and stretcher cases moving
                back too.  Saw ditches full of dead Germans, one boy's
                face I'll never forget, lips curled back, teeth protruding
                horribly.  Screaming meemies fired at us.  American artillery
                fell short, God how frightening.  Sgt. Burns hit through
                back with G.I. artillery.  Reached, Dragon's Teeth of
                Siegfried Line, climbed over and a few yards beyond began
                digging in.  Schmitz and I digging in together.  No mortars
                fell till afternoon when Foxhole all dug.  Struck water,
                kept bailing out, shoepacs not much good, feet all wet.  Had
                to leave hole, Schmitz moved with Ost, I with Hanson.  Mortars
                coming in.  Burns died.

2/6     Tue.    Cold night.  Hanson and I talked all day.  He was ASTP at
                Oregon.  Mortar fire coming from 3 mortars, can hear them go
                off.  Artillery coming in, 88's and plenty American artillery
                going out.  Hanson and I splitting K rations and eating 6
                times daily.

2/7     Wed.    Hanson and I have just about run out of things to talk about.
                Have watched his beard growing.  Germans fired screaming meemy
                at night.  Terrific weapon.  Went back to barn for 3 hours
                rest.  Lot of boys getting trench and frozen feet.  Spain
                and Chevalier evacuated.

2/8     Thur.   Went back to barn all afternoon.  Machine gun spotted us on
                road and pinned us down.  Got away by running through field.
                Snowed tonight and soaking wet, foxhole muddy, God, what
                misery.

2/9     Fri.    Captain Reimer hurt in booby trap explosion.  Sent back with
                trench foot.  Lt. Jamison only officer left.  Sgt. Bruener
                acting as platoon leader.

2/10    Sat.    Mortars still coming in.  Am soaked to skin.

2/11    Sun.    Got relieved late at night by 90th Inf.  Carried MG back
                through rain and mud.  Reached vehicle area and Uhernik
                piled halftrack into tree so squad loaded up on other
                tracks.  I got on Trotta's track.  We rode back to original
                jump off area in woods and slept in half tracks.

2/12    Mon.    Woke up stiff and sore.  Rained, am soaked.  Stayed all day
                in woods as billets not available.  Knees and crotch ached
                from dampness.  Went back in woods to German dugout, had
                bunks in them.  Got in bunk, left hand swelled up an ached
                so much, couldn't sleep all night.

2/13    Tue.    Loaded up in afternoon and went back to Belgium.  Got
                billets in Doctor's house.  Our squad had one room.  Uhernik
                got late Xmas boxes from home.  Got water and cleaned up.

2/14    Wed.    Rested all day.  Had Doctor look at my arm.  Went to movie
                in town at night.

2/15    Thur.   Went to Doctor again.  Crooks had to be evacuated.  Left
                billet rode back to same woods again.  Hanson and I dug out
                slit trench covered it with pine boughs and slept in there.

2/16    Fri.    Stayed in same area.  Captain Marcereau from Service Company
                is new Company Commander.

2/17    Sat.    Help repair road.  Leaving tomorrow.

2/18    Sun.    Got up early, jumped off before dawn.  Walked all day, came
                up to Siegfried line just about dark, followed tanks and
                jumped across big open field to take town.  Mortars came
                in thick and fast but town was deserted.  Moved to edge of
                town and dug in.  Kitchen set up coffee and doughnuts.

2/19    Mon.    In afternoon jumped off to take next town.  Took it but
                some fellows killed and some wounded.  Dug in with Faulkner
                by dead smelly cow.  Mortars coming in, hurt guys behind
                and in front of us but by miracle we weren't hit.  Took
                turns at guard and slept part of night in basement of
                house.

2/20    Tue.    Stayed in same foxhole all day.  Mortars slacked off.
                Went back to last town for hot chow.

2/21    Wed.    Jumped off this morning to clear some pillboxes.  Capt.
                Marcereau hit so Lt. Houston is CO.  Took few prisoners,
                were fired on once, cleaned out plenty pillboxes and
                bunkers, went through barb wire moved back to field, dug
                in with Smallwood.  Inspected bunker, wonderful arrangement
                inside.

2/22    Thur.   Jumped off this morning.  Had ten minute artillery barrage,
                followed tanks into town named Eschfeld.  Mortar hit barn
                behind me and blast knocked me over, close call.  Few boys
                hit, few killed taking town.  Dug in on hill at night.

2/23    Fri.    Hulbert back.  Company moved into Eschfeld.  Germans
                nowhere in sight.  Squad got room in house.  Fires we
                started yesterday still burning.

2/24    Sat.    Got paid today.

2/25    Sun.    Loaded up on halftracks and rode back to Belgium to same
                town we were before but this time our and Perez's squad
                moved into little one room school house.

2/26    Mon.    Replacements coming in.

2/27    Tue.    Went to dentist downtown, had three fillings put in.

2/28    Wed.    Went to dentist again.  Leaving tomorrow.

3/1/45  Thur.   Pulled out at dawn.  Went back into Germany way past
                where we were before.  Hulbert and I dug in on hill near
                town of Prum.

3/2     Fri.    Got package from home and letter from Frances.  Weather
                cold and rainy.  88 hit C Company half-track.  Killed one
                wounded two.

3/3     Sat.    Jumped off today through Prum and way out to field.  Lined
                up behind tanks and jumped off.  Mortars heavy and I saw
                lots of dead GI's took hill and dug in.

3/4     Sun.    Loaded in halftracks and rode to out skirts of Budasheim.
                No opposition going through.  Sniper fire in steeple.  Let
                us go by and fired on tank.  Tanks MG steeple.  Went
                through woods.  Bazooka hit tank, saw driver with leg torn
                off.  Dug in outside of Budasheim.

3/5     Mon.    Rode halftrack to another jumpoff place and cleaned out
                more woods.

3/6     Tue.    Hulbert leg bothering him, evacuated.  Jumped off to town
                of Kyle river.  Hot town.  Sniper just missed me.  Mortars
                worked town over.  Sgt. Brunner and Sgt. Larkin hit.  We
                waded across river, cold and went to top of hill to objective.
                Were relieved at midnight by 4th Inf. Div.

3/7     Wed.    Got dry socks and stayed all day in town.  Jumped off at
                night in halftracks.  Hanson new platoon.  Sgt. Schmitz
                has squad.  Shot evacuated.  In convoy halftrack broke
                down, had to drop out.

3/8     Thur.   Ser. Co picked us up and took us back to 133rd Ord.  Ate
                dinner and supper there.  Eardly there with his halftrack too.
                Slept in back of 2 1/2 ton.

3/9     Fri.    Halftrack fixed.  Left Ord. went to Serv. Co.  Nobody knows
                where 13 Co. is.  Stayed all night with them in house.

3/10    Sat.    Followed Serv. Co. to another town.  Patrucy put us on
                guard.

3/11    Sun.    We attached ourselves to 21st.  Jumped off to town of Brohl
                on Rhine River.  Our squad dug in on bank and I fired at
                people across river.  Ost fired and killed one guy for sure.
                American artillery which shelling other side fell short and
                we caught Hell.  Moved out of town in half-tracks back to
                last town.

3/12    Mon.    Moved back to another town.  B Co. is rumored to be there
                soon.  Slept in German apartment house.

3/13    Tue.    Moved to B Co. billets.  Stayed all day.  B Co. came in at
                night.

3/14    Wed.    Cleaned up.

3/15    Thur.   Went to dentist.

3/16    Fri.    Went to dentist again.  Shoepacs hurting feet.

3/17    Sat.    Pulled out late at night.

3/18    Sun.    Reached town of Rockenhaeven.  Got billet in big home.

3/19    Mon.    Went out cleaning out towns.  Replacements coming in.

3/20    Tue.    Cleaned out woods and towns.

3/21    Wed.    Supposed to move out today but still here.

3/22    Thur.   Left today.  Rode to town called Kirchenheim bolanden.
                Took over homes belonging to German workers, homes nice.
                Our squad got downstairs one home, Alder's squad upstairs.

3/23    Fri.    Answered Frances' letter.  Rested all day in
                house.

3/24    Sat.    Nothing unusual today.

3/25    Sun.    Had Church services in open field.

3/26    Mon.    General Dager came to area to present medals.

3/27    Tue.    Supposed to leave today but stayed.

3/28    Wed.    Pulled out, rode across Rhine River.  Stopped at night
                and dug in field.  Have new Co.  C.O. and he's no good.

3/29    Thur.   Continued driving.

3/30    Fri.    Good Fri.  Weather cold.

****From 3/31/45 through 4/5/45, the dates are inaccurately recorded.
Consulting calendars of the period, I have presumed to correct them.
Nicole****

3/31    Sat.    Rode to hilltop and dig in.  Place windy as Hell.

4/1/45  Sun.    Hilltop windy, stayed all day.

4/2     Mon.    B Co. loaded up in halftracks and conveyed by colored boys.

4/3     Tue.    Rode to Frankfort, got loaded up and rode back.  Saw part
                of gas convoy that got ambushed.  Tracks and peeps(sic)
                smashed and colored drivers dead in them.  Pulled into
                field for night, rained.

4/4     Wed.    Left gas convoy and took off.

4/5     Thur.   Began driving.  Passed several German halftracks that had
                been ambushed and roads and fields covered with dead
                Germans.

4/6     Fri.    Reached Zhella Mellis.  Stayed in house one night.

4/7     Sat.    Road to place near Menigen, found roadblock, drew mortar
                fire.  German plane shot down by Mg. track.  One Inf. man,
                several tankers shot trying to take Meningen.  Bazookas fired
                but missed track.  Meningen big town, took many PW's put them
                in church.  Had billet in beer hall, beer still there.

4/8     Sun.    PW's taken from church loaded on trucks and taken away.
                Plenty of liquor found in basement.  Each track got 1 case
                plus what each man could sneak away.  Went back to Zhella
                Mellis and each squad had a house for billet.  We got a
                beautiful home.  I slept upstairs and everybody pretty tight
                by night.

4/9     Mon.    Rode off again.  Covered plenty ground.

4/10    Tue.    Still driving.  PW's coming by thousands.

4/11    Wed.    Still driving.

4/12    Thur.   Still driving.

4/13    Fri.    Rode to town of Kulmbach.  Squad took over several warehouses.

4/14    Sat.    Burned few vehicles, destroyed Bazookas.  Cleaned halftracks,
                got pretty well oiled up.

4/15    Sun.    Moved to new spot guarding Div. Tn.  Kuss back from hospital.

4/16    Mon.    Still here.  Capt. Reimer rumored on way back, hope so,
                Present C.O. is no good bastard.

4/16    Mon.    Still here.

4/17    Tue.    Had goddam field inspection for visiting officer.

4/18    Wed.    Still here

4/19    Thur.   Left today.  Rode way south.  Capt. Reimer back, sure glad
                to see him.  Took off early in the morning and rode thru
                Bayreuth.  Rode all day to town called Grafewohr.  Cleaned
                it out.  Took up roadblock near warehouses full of German ORD.
                Burned out Kraut tanks on flat cars.  R.R. torn up by air
                corps.  Found eggs had them for supper.

4/20    Fri.    Red Cross wagon in, mail in, got letter from Jimmie.

4/21    Sat.    Kuss, Siders and I tore seats out of R.R. car and put straw
                in to make nice billet.  Trotta threw grenade into Ammo. whse.
                and place has been burning and exploding for two days.

4/22    Sun.    Got rest pass today.  John Shram and I, men from B. Co.,
                to go.  Rode back Div. Tn.  Rode truck all day back to
                Meningen to little town called Bad Salzung.

4/23    Mon.    What a place!  Big hotel on edge of lake.  3 men to room,
                sheets, food from plates, girl waitresses, bath tubs, God,
                this is heaven.

4/24    Tue.    Got PX rations, new clothes, took bath, place has beautiful
                lounge, movie, coke bar.  What a place!

4/25    Wed.    Was tired, slept till dinner, slept till supper.  Buddy and
                I went to movies, etc.  What a place.

4/26    Thur.   Slight fire in chimney.  Red Cross girls sure nice here.
                Am eating good, this place is heaven!

4/27    Fri.    Left here today.  God I sure hated to leave.  Rode truck
                all day and got billet in XX Corps Hq.  Place is huge
                baby farm and swarming with big brass.

4/28    Sat.    Joined squad late in afternoon in town.

4/29    Sun.    Rode off to another town to guard Div. Tn.

4/30    Mon.    Rode off again.  Slept out in open.

5/1/45  Tue.    Saw 15 PW's shot, hooray.  Crossed border into Austria.
                Sign says 11th first outfit over.  Saw Stan Boyer.
                Snowed today.  Attacked town but Krauts kept us out.
                Smallwood hit in arm and chest by burp gun.

5/2     Wed.    Slept in barn, raining.

5/3     Thur.   Began driving.  Were driving toward Linz but encountered
                heavy resistance in Gramastetten, lot of casualties, some
                boys killed, quite a few wounded.  Stayed back with half-
                track, town burning good.

5/4     Fri.    88's firing into town hit vehicle area killing one driver
                and wounding 7, I got hit in face.  Nerves shot, can't
                keep this up, my luck running out.  Dug in position over
                looking Linz, Austria.

5/5     Sat.    Rode mounted into Linz.  People lined up cheering, clapping,
                throwing flowers.  Took over bridge right on Danube, guarded
                it.  Were relieved in afternoon by 65th Div.  Rode back to
                another town and got half house for billet.  I got bed
                upstairs.  Had champagne, everbody celebrating.

5/6     Sun.    Stayed in all day.  Rumors that war ending.

5/7     Mon.    Cleaned up good.  Wrote and got letters.

5/8     Tue.    Rode to field.  Had to get up before midnight and load up.
                VE declared at one minute past 12.  Rode to field near
                Freistadt.

5/9     Wed.    We are on road block.  Tanks and us to prevent Germans
                from going to Linz.  Saw German kill himself with pistol.
                Got eggs and French chocolate from car.

5/10    Thur.   Have billet in barn, guard roads all day.  Area is full of
                German PW's.

5/11    Fri.    Nothing unusual.

5/12    Sat.    Nothing unusual.

5/13    Sun.    Nothing unusual.

5/14    Mon.    Nothing unusual.

5/15    Tue.    Saw Russian soldiers.  Went up to castle near here.

5/16    Wed     Pulled out back to field.

5/17    Thur.   Slept out.

5/18    Fri.    Stayed in field.

5/19    Sat.    Capt. Reimer gone, hurt himself.

5/20    Sun.    Moved to field outside town of Aigen, Austria.

5/21    Mon.    Still in field.  Sent box home, got duffle bags back.

5/22    Tue.    Still here.  Moving in Tomorrow.

5/23    Wed.    Moved into billets.  We got two rooms in house.

5/24    Thur.   Nothing unusual.

5/25    Fri.    Nothing unusual.

5/26    Sat.    Nothing unusual.

5/27    Sun.    Went to Mass in beautiful church.

5/28    Mon.    Nothin unusual.

5/29    Tue.    Calisthentics and Concurrent training started again.

5/30    Wed.    Nothing unusual.

5/31    Thur.   Nothing unusual.

6/1/45  Fri.    Nothing unusual.

6/2     Sat.    Went to confession.

6/3     Sun.    Went to Mass.

6/4     Mon.     On KP today.

6/5     Tue     Rumored we are leaving soon. Sgt. Brunner back.

6/6     Wed.    Moving tomorrow. Loaded up halftrack.

6/7     Thur.   Moved out and rode longway to outskirts of Reid.
                Had to pitch pup tents again.  I pitched with Hulbert.

6/8     Fri.    Hot as hell.  Major Sandler out here inspecting.  Big
                inspection tomorrow.

6/9     Sat.    C.O. says we move in next week.  Rain, rain, rain, area
                sea of mud.  Red Cross club near by.

6/10    Sun.    Rain soaked thru bedroll, stayed in bed all day.

6/11    Mon.    More rain.

6/12    Tue.    More rain.

6/13    Wed.    Finally moved out and into billets.  Got apartment houses and
                our squadron top floor.

6/14    Thur.   Reveille and drill back in again.

6/15    Fri.    Nothing unusual.

6/16    Sat.    Inspection but it was snap.

6/17    Sun.    Went to Mass.  Place is nice church.

6/18    Mon.    Drill etc.

6/19    Tue.    Nothing unusual.

6/20    Wed.    Nothing unusual.

6/21    Thur.   Nothing unusual.

6/22    Fri.    Nothing unusual.

6/23    Sat.    Inspection, and games in afternoon.

6/24    Sun.    Mass again.  Went to swimming pool in afternoon.

6/25    Mon.    Nothing unusual.

6/26    Tue.    Nothing unusual.

6/27    Wed.    Nothng  unusual.

6/28    Thur.   Nothing unusual.

6/29    Fri.    Nothing unusual.

6/30    Sat.    Smallwood, Spain, Chevalier back.  Ost, and Schmitz have left
                for states to be discharged.

7/1/45  Sun.    Mass.  Father Galvin in England on furlough.

7/2     Mon.    Drill.

7/3     Tue.    Orientation and drill.

7/4     Wed.    Rained like hell so athletic events called off.  Flopped it
                up in barracks all day.

7/5     Thur.   Yesterday's sports events played today.

7/6     Fri.    Nothing unusual.

7/7     Sat.    Inspection.

7/8     Sun.    Father Galvin in England.

7/9     Mon.    Went out on road block.

7/10    Tue.    Kuss, Falkner and Smallwood leaving for states.  Sure sad to
                see them go.

7/11    Wed.    Nothing unusual.

7/12    Thur.   Nothing unusual.

7/13    Fri.    Nothing unusual except letter from Frances.

7/14    Sat.    Inspection.

7/15    Sun.    Went to church.  Then up to swimming pool.

7/16    Mon.    Nothing unusual.

7/17    Tue.    Nothing unusual.

7/18    Wed.    Nothing unusual.

7/19    Thur.   Nothing unusual.

7/20    Fri.    Nothing unusual.

7/21    Sat.    Inspection.

7/22    Sun.    Nothing unusual.

7/23    Mon.    Nothing unusual.

7/24    Tue.    Nothing unusual.

7/25    Wed.    Nothing unusual.

7/26    Thur.   Nothing unusual.

7/27    Fri.    Nothing unusual.

7/28    Sat.    Nothing unusual.

7/29    Sun.    Rumor that we are leaving soon for Ebensee to guard PW's.

7/30    Mon.    Went to movies at night.  Began packing.

7/31    Tue.    Nothing unusual.

8/1/45  Wed.    Tore beds down, got all packed.  We are leaving tomorrow
                morning.

8/2     Thur.   Left Ried early in morning and rode to Ebensee, Austria.
                Releived(sic) FA at guard on 15,000 PW's.  Got 2nd relief.
                Mahalko and I on tower 3.

8/3     Fri.    Guard again today.  Lots of business trading watches.

8/4     Sat.    Guard, also chased PW's down at PW motor pool.

8/5     Sun.    Rode truck down to Ebensee for Mass.

8/6     Mon.    Guard

8/7     Tue.    Guard

8/8     Wed.    Guard

8/9     Thur.   Guard

8/10    Fri.    Lots of talk about atomic bomb on radio.

8/11    Sat.    Fellows all talking of atomic bomb and listening to radio.

8/12    Sun.    Levine and I went to Grunden on pass and had hell of good
                time.  Rode back on boat with Anderson and Levak and Driscoll.
                Rode to top of Mt. on cable car.

8/13    Mon.    Rumors running wild.  Atomic bomb really something.  Waiting
                for surrender.

8/14    Tue.    Heard on guard that Japs had accepted peace.

8/15    Wed.    We are leaving here soon.

8/16    Thur.   Guard taken over by 26 Inf. Div.

8/17    Fri.    Leaving here tomorrow.

8/18    Sat.    At Ebensee Gen. Dager gave us talk and we mounted trucks
                and rode to Stary Plzenec, Czechoslovakia.  Am now attached
                to 8th Arm'd Div.

8/19    Sun.    Am billeted in schoolhouse.

8/20    Mon.    Was assigned to squad.

8/21    Tue.    Nothing unusual.

8/22    Wed.    Was assigned to go on outpost but if fell thru.

8/23    Thur.   Left C Co. and joined B Co. in Rokycany.  Am in 4th Platoon.

8/24    Fri.    Spent day unpacking and getting straightened around.

8/25    Sat.    Went out on detail to tear down PW stockade.

8/26    Sun.    Flopped it up all day.

8/27    Mon.    Started school in machine shop.

8/28    Tue.    School at machine shop in morning and athletics all
                afternoon.

8/29    Wed.    School and athletics.

8/30    Thur.   School and athletics.

8/31    Fri.    Got paid and then went out to outpost on edge of town.

9/1/45  Sat.    On guard.

9/2     Sun.    On guard.

9/3     Mon.    Got mail from home.

9/4     Tue.    On guard.

9/5     Wed.    On guard.

9/6     Thur.   On guard.

9/7     Fri.    Moved back to quarters as we are leaving tomorrow.

9/8     Sat.    Left Rokycany, rode trucks to Pilsen, loaded on to box
                cars and rode. off.

9/9     Sun.    Arrived at town in Germany and was assigned to C. Co.
                329 Inf. Regt. 83rd Inf.  Spent day getting settled.

9/10    Mon.    On guard.

9/11    Tue.    This outfit has training schedule.  Played ball in
                afternoon.

9/12    Wed.    Goofed off all day.  Stayed in room and slept.

9/13    Thur.   Went on sick call.

9/14    Fri.    On KP in kitchen.

9/15    Sat.    On guard.

9/16    Sun.    Got off guard at night, went straight to bed.

9/17    Mon.    Nothing unusual.

9/18    Tue.    Left C Company today and moved to Deggendorf to where
                AntiTank Co. is located in Hotel.

9/19    Wed.    Got PX rations today.  Pull 3 hrs on, 9 hrs off.
                Billets are good, good deall(sic) all around.

9/20    Thur.   Went to USO show in Passau.

9/21    Fri.    On guard two times.

9/22    Sat.    Washed few clothes.

9/23    Sun.    Guard.  Went to movies.

9/24    Mon.    More guard.

9/25    Tue.    More guard.

9/26    Wed.    PX rations today, got two weeks rations today.

9/27    Thur.   Guard.

9/28    Fri.    Guard.

9/29    Sat.    Guard.

9/30    Sun.    Guard.

10/1/45 Mon.    Went to Platting and saw Blithe Spirit USO show.
                Very good.

10/2    Tue.    Got break today, no guard.

10/3    Wed.    Raid in town today.

10/4    Thur.   Still off.

10/5    Fri.    Guard.

10/6    Sat.    Nothing unusual today.

10/7    Sun.    On guard, tired.

10/8    Mon.    Nothing unusual today.

10/9    Tue.    Celebrated with two beers at non-coms club.

10/10   Wed.    Nothing unusual.

10/11   Thur.   PX rations today.

10/12   Fri.    Went to show at night.

10/13   Sat.    Had ice cream at parlor.  On Guard.  Weather cold.

10/14   Sun.    Gen. Truscott of 3rd Army came through this morning.
                Went to show in afternoon.

10/15   Mon.    Guard.  Had ice cream at parlor.

10/16   Tue.    Got letters from home.

10/17   Wed.    Left Deggendorf, rode to Platting, boarded train to
                Regensberg, slept in big hall.

10/18   Thur.   Am in Engineers, got assigned to A Co.  Rode trucks to
                lager at Grafenwohr.  Was through this town six months
                ago.

10/19   Fri.    Nemic and I in same room together.

10/20   Sat.    Nemic, Andy, and I went down town for beers and look
                around in afternoon.  Went to show at night, had vaudeville.

10/21   Sun.    Slept most all day.

10/22   Mon.    Went out on job to PW cages.  Sat around fire all day.

10/23   Tue.    Repetition of yesterday.  Went to show-piss poor war picture.

10/24   Wed.    Came in at noon for dental inspection.

10/25   Thur.   Guard.

10/26   Fri.    Was on prison chaser.

10/27   Sat.    Went to work for half day.  Came in at noon, read all
                afternoon.  Went to show at night with Nemic, had good
                magic show.

10/28   Sun.    Went walking around camp with Nemic, took some pictures.

10/29   Mon.    Guard.

10/30   Tue.    Went on cp(?) guard at 7:00.

10/31   Wed.    Stayed in all day.  Day was quiet.  Took shower, read.

11/1/45 Thur.   Guard.

11/2    Fri.    Guard.

11/3    Sat.    Off at noon, went to library, read in afternoon.

11/4    Sun.    Got paid today.

11/5    Mon.    Guard.

11/6    Tue.    Guard.

11/7    Wed.    Guard.

11/8    Thur.   Came in early, saw movies.

11/9    Fri.    Nothing unusual.

11/10   Sat.    Have pass to Paris, leaving tomorrow.

11/11   Sun.    Left for Paris after dinner.  Rode to Regensberg, got
                orders, rode to Munich.

11/12   Mon.    Left Munich 1:30AM.  Woke up in morning, had dinner in
                Karlsruhe, rode all day.

11/13   Tue.    Reached Gare d'Lest****sic****station at 8.  Rode bus to
                bureau and got assigned to Hotel Bayard.  Had breakfast,
                Boddeker and I went roaming around.  Went to GI night
                club in Pigalle.

11/14   Wed.    Went on sight seeing tour of Paris.  Saw Arch of Triumph,
                Eiffel Tower, Invalides, Notre Dame, Louvre, Place de la
                Concorde.  Nice tour.  At night Boddeker, Jay, Rob and I
                went to GI night club and raised hell.

11/15   Thur.   Went to Rainbow Corner Red Cross club and Ice Cream Parlor.

11/16   Fri.    Spent day at R.C.

11/17   Sat.    Went on tour of Versailles, very interesting.

11/18   Sun.    Went to high mass at Notre Dame.

11/19   Mon.    Bought PX rations.  Bought bracelets and perfume and sent
                them to Frances.

11/20   Tue.    Left at 7:30 from Gare de l'est, slept on luggage rack.

11/21   Wed.    Rode all day, reached Munich late.  Joe and I got room
                and slept at terminal.

11/22   Thur.   Thanksgiving dinner at terminal.  Caught train at 6:40 for
                Regensburg.  Got back to Regt. Hq. and found us transferred
                to 4th Arm'd Div.  Crossed us off list, outfit moves
                tomorrow.  Slept in attic at headquarters.

11/23   Fri.    Loaded 40 and 8's and took off for Camp Boston, France.

11/24/45Sat.    Road all day.

****Diary entries end here. Nicole****

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 4 Feb 1995 23:37:26 PST
From:    Jim Brady <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Enola Gay Exhibit

Jim, your post on reconciliation is quite *on topic* in my book.

I think it's precisely what leads one to believe there's hope for
 the human race, just as haunting as it is to see younger generations
 revved up on hate of one sort or another. The tides come and go,
and we have to just hope that peace prevails...

--- Jim Brady

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 3 Feb 1995 to 4 Feb 1995
***********************************************