Subject: WWII-L Digest - 18 Mar 1995 to 19 Mar 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 00:00:35 -0500

There are 20 messages totalling 1072 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Dudley Morton (3)
  2. POW treatment
  3. Draft Requirements (2)
  4. Bataan
  5. [INF] USAAF 17 MAR 45
  6. [INF] USAAF 18 MAR 45
  7. [INF] USAAF 19 MAR 45
  8. [INF] USAAF 20 MAR 45
  9. Japanese Planes
 10. Worst type of service - was Re: fighter pilots (4)
 11. Offending Someome... (2)
 12. INF: 50 Years Ago - 19-MAR-1945
 13. INF: 50 Years Ago - 20-MAR-1945

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 00:02:42 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Dudley Morton

Rod Rupert wrote:

> It also says that the troops in the motor launches, cabin cruisers, and
lifeboats, fired on Wahoo with machine guns and small arms.

I'm not especially impressed with this as a defense for the action, for two
reasons: 1) The *Wahoo* deliberately returned to the site of the sinking
after chasing another freighter for a time -- for what reason, O'Kane doesn't
say; perhaps only to make sure the transport actually had sunk and didn't
require a coup de grace, and 2) the troops fired *after* they had been fired
upon. O'Kane's account says that a machine gun on one of the life boats
opened up after *Wahoo*had  fired a shell from its four-inch gun. But I'll
try to search out the Grider account, too. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but
based on the evidence I have, the *Wahoo's* action seems to have been
unprovoked, and I think it was excessive.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 18 Mar 1995 22:10:11 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Dudley Morton

>
>John Riegsecker wrote:
>
>> I've read _Wake of the Wahoo_, by Forest Sterling who was the Yoeman (I
>think) and as I recall, he never discusses the incident.
>
>That's disappointing. Do you know of any other first-person accounts?
>
>Jodi Berls
>[email-masked]

Jodi,

I don't know of any, perhaps someone else does.

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 00:23:23 -0600
From:    Kelvin Brent Luther <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: POW treatment

On Sat, 18 Mar 1995, William Lippert wrote:

>       Above, you make the statement that one would expect this of "Asian
> combatants".  Why do you say specify Asian?  Not to say that Asians are
> particularly nice in their waging of war, but that Asians do not posess
> a monopoly on savage warfare.  One need not read too much about the
> Germans vs. the Russians, or the Italians against the Ethiopians.  Nor
> indeed about the Hutus and the Brundis of today or even the various
> Yugoslavs.
>       I think that the waging of "civil" warfare which we Americans and most
> westerners have come to regard as the rule is, in fact, the exception seen
> mainly between Western combatants rather than conflicts in which the West
> is involved or conflicts between non-Westerners.
>
> William Lippert
> The American University
>
        I have mentioned many times in other discussions German and
Russian atrocities and I don't see how my statement could be seen to
imply that Asians monopolize this sort of thing.  Would you not expect
atrocities amongst Asian combatants at this time?  I think most would and
that was part of the point which you reiterate in your last paragraph,
the lack of atrocities in previous wars at first glance seems out of
place compared to what the Japanese did later.  The answer I proposed was
that the earlier lack of atrocities were the result of their emulating
Western practices.  Later on they were behaving as they saw fit in
warfare.  I qualified this statement by refering only to the period of
WWII as well as mentioning the dominating influence of Japanese
militarists at the time, casting no dispersions from it on to anyone or
any action that came afterward.
                                Kelvin Luther

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 00:37:11 -0600
From:    Kelvin Brent Luther <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Draft Requirements

        A while back there was a question about draft designations.  At
the risk of repeating something already posted I think I have come across
a complete list.
                1A  fit for general military service
                1B  fit for limited military service
                1C  member of the armed forces
                1D  student fit for general military service
                1E  student fit for limited military service
               IIA  deferred for critical civilian work
              IIIA  deferred due to dependants
               IVA  already served in armed forces
               IVB  deferred by law ie. draft officials
               IVC  alien
               IVD  ministers
               IVE  conscientous objector
               IVF  physically, mentally, or morally unfit for service

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 01:12:57 -0600
From:    "NAME \"Tony Schuler\"" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Bataan

Hi all,

While watching the series WORLD AT WAR, I took down the Bataan Ballad.

        We are the battling bastards of Bataan
        No Momma, no Papa, no Uncle Sam
        No Aunts, no Uncles, nieces
        No pills, no planes, no artillery pieces
        And nobody gives a God Damn.

Thoought everyone might ennjoy.

Tony Schuler
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 06:28:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 17 MAR 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 17 MARCH 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-26, Douglas Invader
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): In the Kurile Islands, 2 B-24s fly bombing and
photo missions over Matsuwa Island, concentrating on the airfield, and on
returning photograph Shasukotan, Harumukotan, and Onnekotan Islands.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In China, 1 B-25 and 12 P-51s damage
21 locomotives and a river launch in the Peking area, around Tsinan, and
between Taiyuan and Tatung.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): Mission 44: In Burma, 70 of 77 B-29s hit a
storage dump at Rangoon; 2 others bomb targets of opportunity, the Sagyi
Airfield and warehouses at Bassein without loss.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 16 P-47s support the
British 36 Division around Mogok; 12 B-25s bomb troops and supplies near
Namlan; 33 P-47s hit road targets behind enemy lines, concentrating on the
Hay-ti and Mong Yai sectors; 40+ other fighter-bombers attack troops,
supplies, tanks, and trucks behind the battleline including the Ta-mun,
Namsaw, Pansupe, Tal-ti, and Kankang areas. Transports continue to fly troops
and supplies to frontline areas.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 892: 1,328 bombers and 820 P-51s are dispatched to hit oil,
industrial and rail targets in Germany; clouds extend from 1,000 to 15,000
feet (305 to 4,572 m) and over the targets there is 9/10 to 10/10 cloud
cover necessitating PFF methods for bombing; 5 B-17s and 2 P-51s are lost:
  1. 527 B-17s are sent to hit the oil refinery at Ruhland (214); 138 hit the
secondary target, the Bittefeld oil refinery; targets of opportunity are the
Vomag munitions factory at Plauen (125), Fulda (19), Cottbus (11) and other
(3); H2X radar is used; 4 B-17s are lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 46
damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 1 WIA and 35 MIA. Escorting are 252 of 280 P-51s; 1
is lost (pilot MIA).
  2. 449 B-17s are dispatched to hit the oil refinery at Bohlen (152) and the
oil refinery and power station at Molbis (127); secondary targets are the
Zeiss works at Jena (71) and the marshalling yard at Erfurt (51); targets of
opportunity are Altenburg (36) and other (3); bombing is by H2X radar; 1 B-17
is lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 15 damaged; 9 airmen are MIA. 266 of 283
P-51s escort; 1 is lost (pilot MIA).
  3. 346 B-24s are dispatched to hit the marshalling yard at Munster (170)
and the Hanomag tank factory at Hannover (146); 9 other hit Herford, a target
of opportunity; Gee-H and H2X are used to bomb; 3 B-24s are damaged. The
escort is 122 of 128 P-51s.
  4. 6 B-24s fly a screening mission.
  5. 79 of 86 P-51s fly a freelance sweep without loss.
  6. 28 of 32 P-51s fly a scouting mission without loss.
  7. 9 of 11 P-51s escort 2 F-5s and 1 Spitfire on a photo reconnaissance
mission over Germany.
  Mission 893: 9 B-24s drop leaflets in Germany, the Netherlands and France
during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In Germany, 650+ A-20s, A-26s, and
B-26s bomb 5 marshalling yards, 2 communications centers, an ordnance depot,
3 city areas, and several targets of opportunity; the attacks are to impede
the enemy movement of troops, equipment, and supplies in the face of the
advancing Allied forces; fighters fly escort, patrols, and armed
reconnaissance, cover the Remagen bridgehead, support the US III Corps NE of
Remagen, cooperate with the XII Corps which has penetrated several miles E of
Bad Kreuznach at one point, and operate with the XX Corps which at one point
reaches as far E as Birkenfeld. The 386th Fighter Squadron, 365th Fighter
Group, moves from Juzaine Airfield, Florennes, Belgium to Aachen, Germany
with P-47s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Bad weather grounds the
bombers. In Yugoslavia, 98 P-38s dive-bomb the Ptuj and Zagreb railroad
bridges, the Klinca Sela marshalling yard, and the Sisak marshalling yard and
bridge; B-24s, with fighter escort, drop supplies and F-5s, P-38s and P-51s
fly reconnaissance and reconnaissance escort. During the night of 17/18 Mar,
B-24s drop supplies in N Italy.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, A-20s and B-26s during
the night of 16/17 Mar, bomb Po River crossings, other bridges, lights, and
movements in the Po Valley; B-25s bomb railroad bridges and fills at
Cittadella, San Michele all' Adige, Aldeno, Bozzolo, Canneto sull' Oglio,
Pontetidone, Pizzighettone, and Pontevico; fighters and fighter-bombers are
greatly restricted by bad weather but score effectively against dumps,
bridges, railroads, marshalling yards, trains, and buildings mainly in the Po
Valley.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): On Chichi Jima Island, 11 Guam Island-based
B-24s hit Susaki Airfield; during the night of 17/18 Mar, 5 B-24s again hit
the airfield. HQ 30th Bombardment Group (Heavy) and the 27th, 30th and 819th
Bombardment Squadrons (Heavy) move from Saipan Island to Wheeler Field,
Hawaii with B-24s (the group will train and fly patrol missions until VJ-Day).

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: Formosa airfields
are pounded by B-24s operating in force. On Luzon Island, nearly 500 sorties
are flown in support of ground forces by B-25s, A-20s, and fighters. B-24s
hit Panay Island, Philippine Islands beaches preparatory to allied landings
on 18 Mar and bomb troops in the combat areas on Mindanao Island. Bacolod
Airfield on Negros Island is also bombed. HQ 317th Troop Carrier Group moves
from Leyte Island to Clark Field, Luzon; the 31st Bombardment Squadron
(Heavy), 7th Bombardment Group (Heavy), moves from Morotai Island to Samar
Island with B-24s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

19/1127Z MAR

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 06:40:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 18 MAR 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SUNDAY, 18 MARCH 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-26, Douglas Invader
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  Beaufighter, Bristol
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  Me 262, Meserschmitt
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): A weather sortie is flown.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 6 B-24s sweep the Gulf of Tonkin and
S China Sea, claiming 1 freighter damaged. 2 P-51s over N French Indochina
strafe trucks, troops, and horsecarts.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 12 P-47s support the
Chinese ground forces near Hsipaw; 8 others support British 36 Division
troops by dropping napalm NE of Mogok; 11 B-25s and 20 fighter-bombers hit
troop concentrations and supplies immediately behind the battlefront and
roads S of the bomb line are swept by 16 P-38s. Transports continue steady
operations.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 894: 1,329 bombers and 733 fighters are dispatched to hit railway
stations and tanks plants in the Berlin area; the attacks are made both
visually and with H2X radar; the Luftwaffe makes it's most concentrated and
successful attacks with Me 262s to date; the AAF claims 21-1-5 Luftwaffe
aircraft; 13 bombers (8 to flak) and 6 fighters are lost:
  1. 421 of 450 B-17s hit the Schlesischer rail station in Berlin; 13 hit
the secondary target, Zehdnuk; and 1 hits Vechta, a target of opportunity;
they claim 6-0-0 aircraft; 5 B-17s are lost, 8 damaged beyond repair and
268 damaged; 1 airman is KIA, 18 WIA and 49 MIA. 179 of 199 P-51s escort;
they claim 4-0-2 aircraft; 2 P-51s are lost.
  2. 495 of 530 B-17s hit the Nord rail station in Berlin; targets of
opportunity are Ludwigslust (3) and other (3); they claim 1-1-1 aircraft; 7
B-17s are lost, 6 damaged beyond repair and 319 damaged; 1 airman is KIA,
12 WIA and 79 MIA. Escorting are 219 of 238 P-51s; they claim 7-0-1
aircraft; 2 P-51s are lost.
  3. 347 B-24s are sent to hit the Tegel (225) and Henningsdorf (80) tank
factories in Berlin; targets of opportunity are Oranienburg (9), Uelzen (9)
and other (3); 1 B-24 is lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 127 damaged; 1
airman is KIA, 1 WIA and 11 MIA. The escort is 254 P-51s; they claim 3-0-1
aircraft; 2 P-51s are lost.
  4. 2 B-17s fly a scouting mission.
  5. 27 of 30 P-51s fly a scouting mission.
  6. 1 of 12 P-51s escort 5 F-5s on photo reconnaissance missions over
Germany.
  Mission 895: 10 of 12 B-24s drop leaflets in France, the Netherlands and
Germany during the night without loss.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS
    First Tactical Air Force (Provisional): The 415th Night Fighter Squadron,
64th Fighter Wing, moves from Ochey to St Dizier, France with Beaufighters.
    Ninth Air Force: In Germany, 660+ A-20s, A-26s and B-26s hit the
marshalling yards at Wetzlar, Worms, Kreuztal, and Bad Durkheim, a
communications center at Bad Durkheim, and 4 town areas with the aim of
hampering enemy movement; fighters escort the bombers, attack assigned
targets, fly patrols, and armed reconnaissance, and cooperate with the US III
Corps at Remagen, with the XII Corps as it begins an assault towards the
Mainz-Worms sector of the Rhine River, and with the XX Corps as it moves
rapidly eastward through the Sankt Wendel area toward Kaiserslautern. HQ 70th
Fighter Wing moves from Verviers, Belgium to Bruhl, Germany.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): Bad weather limits operations
to reconnaissance and supply missions, a fighter-bomber attack by P-38s on
the Varazdin, Yugoslavia railroad bridge, after which many of the P-38s
strafe railroad communications in the Zagreb, Varazdin and Maribor,
Yugoslavia, and Villach, Austria areas, and a strafing mission against rail
communications and airfields in the Graz and Wiener-Neustadt, Austria,
Maribor, Yugoslavia, and Szombathely, Hungary areas.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy during the night of 17/18
Mar, A-20s and A-26s continue intruder missions in the Po Valley,
concentrating on Po River crossings; B-25s bomb the railroad bridges at
Bozzolo, and Palazzuolo sull' Oglio, the railroad fill at Salorno, and
the causeway at Mantua; fighters and fighter-bombers hit dumps and support
ground forces S of Bologna, and attack communications targets over wide areas
of the Po Valley; the most devastating raid of the day is flown against the
Novara marshalling yard where 14 locomotives are destroyed.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA
    Seventh Air Force: 14 B-24s from Guam Island pound Susaki Airfield on
Chichi Jima Island and 1 other hits Haha Jima Island; during the night of
18/19 Mar, 5 more B-24s individually strike Susaki Airfield. The 392d
Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 30th Bombardment Group (Heavy), moves from
Saipan Island to Kipapa, Hawaii with B-24s.
    VII Fighter Command: On Chichi Jima Island, 16 P-51s from Iwo Jima
Island dive-bomb radar and radio installations and barges.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): Mission 44: During the night of 18/19 Mar,
290 of 313 XXI Bomber Command B-29s continue the fire raids on Japanese
cities, bombing Nagoya from 4,500 to 9,000 feet (1,372 to 2,743 m) with
incendiaries for the second time this month; an additional 3 square miles
(7.8 square km) are destroyed; the Nagoya arsenal, Aichi engine plant and
freight yards are damaged but the Mitsubishi plants escape with minor damage;
this mission ends the March fire raids.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: On S Luzon Island,
B-24s, A-20s, and fighters support ground forces by hitting the Ipo area and
various targets in Batangas Province. B-24s again bomb Bacolod on Negros
Island, hit several targets on Cebu Island, and bomb Sepinggang and
Jesselton Airfields on Borneo. On Formosa, the airfield at Tainan, seaplane
base at Takao, and emergency field at Koshun are also hit. The 419th Night
Fighter Squadron, XIII Fighter Command, based at Puerto Princesa, Palawan
Island with P-61s, sends a detachment to operate from Zamboanga, Mindanao
Island.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

19/1138Z MAR

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 06:51:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 19 MAR 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
MONDAY, 19 MARCH 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  C-46, Curtiss Commando
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  Me 262, Messerschmitt
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): 5 B-24s bomb and photograph the Kashiwabara
naval base on Paramushiru Island. 8 B-25s bomb canneries along the Masugawa
and Asahigawa Rivers.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 5 B-24s on a sweep over the S China
Sea and Gulf of Tonkin claim a large freighter sunk. 4 P-38s strafe trucks
from Son La to Hoa Binh, French Indochina.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, 24 P-38s support the
forces of the Chinese 50th Division near Hsipaw; 12 P-38s sweep roads S of
the bomb line while 27 P-47s operating over and behind enemy lines hit troop
concentrations and  supplies at Namlan, Namio, and Nam-maw-long and a
Japanese-held monastery at Nammaw-long. Transports fly 502 sorties to forward
areas.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 896: 1,273 bombers and 675 fighters are dispatched to hit airfields
and industrial targets in Germany visually and with H2X radar; clouds force 2
of the 3 forces to hit secondaries; 100+ Luftwaffe fighters including 36 Me
262s in formation (largest number of jets seen as a unit) are encountered;
the AAF claims 41-3-19 Luftwaffe aircraft (including 3 Me 262s); 6 bombers
and 10 fighters are lost:
  1. Cloud cover prevents 496 B-17s from hitting the primary targets;
secondaries hit are the optical works at Jena (197) and the motor vehicle
plant at Zwickau (177); targets of opportunity are Plauen (32), the
marshalling yards at Fulda (44) and Saalfeld (10) and other (4); bombing is
by H2X radar with some visual attacks; they claim 1-1-2 aircraft; 4 B-17s are
lost, 4 damaged beyond repair and 121 damaged; 9 airmen are KIA, 5 WIA and 49
MIA. Escorting are 183 of 198 P-51s; they claim 2-0-3 aircraft; 4 P-51s are
lost.
  2. Cloud cover forces 404 of 436 B-17s to hit the industrial area at
Plauen, the secondary target using H2X radar; targets of opportunity, bombed
visually, are the Fulda marshalling yard (20) and Prissig (1); 1 B-17 is
lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 4 damaged; 9 airmen are KIA, 3 WIA and 9
MIA. The escort is 141 of 153 P-51s.
  3. 341 B-24s are dispatched to hit airfields at Neuburg (125) and Leipheim
(84) and jet aircraft plant at Baumenheim (126) visually; 1 B-24 is lost; 11
airmen are MIA. 175 of 194 P-51s escort; they claim 5-0-0 aircraft without
loss.
  4. 95 of 98 P-51s fly a freelance sweep for the bombers; they claim 33-2-14
aircraft; 6 P-51s are lost.
  5. 2 of 4 P-51s escort 15 F-5s and 2 Spitfires on a photo reconnaissance
mission over Germany.
  Mission 897: 11 of 12 B-24s drop leaflets in the Netherlands and Germany
during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS
    First Tactical Air Force (Provisional): HQ 27th Fighter Group and the
522d, 523d and 524th Fighter Squadrons move from St Dizier to Ochey Airfield,
Toul, France with P-47s.
    Ninth Air Force: In Germany, the 9th Bombardment Division strikes 2
marshalling yards, 5 rail bridges, a communications center and several casual
targets as part of the interdiction program to impede enemy movement;
fighters escort the bombers, fly patrols and armed reconnaissance, support
the US III Corps W of Remagen, cooperates with the XII Corps' 4th Armored
Division E of Kaiserslautern as it drives toward the Rhine River; fighter-
bombers of the XIX Tactical Air Command, on a special mission, bomb the HQ of
Commander-in-Chief West (Field Marshall Gerd von Rundstedt) at Ziegenberg.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 800+ B-17s and B-24s, with
fighter escorts, hit marshalling yards at Landshut, Passau, Muhldorf,
Plattling, Garching an der Alz and Altenmarkt an der Alz, Germany, and Sankt
Veit an der Glan, Lambach, Klagenfurt, Austria and 54 P-51s strafe railroads
in the target areas; 36 P-38s bomb the marshalling yard at Varazdin,
Yugoslavia; B-24s drop supplies in Yugoslavia while P-38s and P-51s fly
reconnaissance and escort.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, XXII Tactical Air
Command A-20s strike heavily against general movement in the Po Valley during
the night of 18/19 Mar, and are followed during the day by fighter and
fighter-bomber attacks on communications in the C Po Valley and NE Italy
where numerous rail cuts are made, 3 bridges damaged, and several supply
dumps hit; medium bombers damage a bridge at Muhldorf, Germany, bridges and
fills at Perca, and at 7 other locations on the N Italian approaches to the
Brenner Pass.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA
    Seventh Air Force: On Chichi Jima Island, 12 Guam Island-based B-24s
attack the Susaki Airfield and radio installations in the afternoon. During
the night of 19/20 Mar, Susaki Airfield is hit again by 5 B-24s flying
separate snooper strikes.
    VII Fighter Command: On Chichi Jima Island, 16 P-51s from Iwo Jima Island
bomb and strafe Susaki Airfield, a radio installation, and storage area.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s and fighter-
bombers again hit installations on N Luzon Island. B-24s hit a variety of
targets on Cebu Island including the town of Minglanilla. The 8th Combat
Cargo Squadron, 2d Combat Cargo Group, moves from Biak Island to Dulag, Leyte
Island with C-46s; the 63d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 43d Bombardment
Group (Heavy), moves from Tacloban, Leyte to Clark Field, Luzon with B-24s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

19/1149Z MAR

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 06:59:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 20 MAR 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
TUESDAY, 20 MARCH 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-26, Douglas Invader
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): In French Indochina, 4 P-38s claim 11
trucks destroyed and 9 damaged between Son La and Hoa Binh.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): 20 P-47s sweep roads S of the bomb
line in C Burma; 16 others hit supply dumps behind Japanese lines. Transports
continue to supply forward areas.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 3 missions are flown.
  Mission 898: 451 bombers and 355 fighters are dispatched to hit the
shipyard and dock area at Hamburg and an oil refinery; they claim 14-3-17
Luftwaffe aircraft; 4 bombers and 2 P-51s are lost:
  1. 13 of 152 B-17s hit the Blohm & Voss U-boat yard at Hamburg; 133 others
hit the secondary, the port area at Hamburg; bombing is visual; they claim
1-0-3 aircraft; 1 airman is KIA and 2 WIA. Escorting are 70 of 79 P-51s; they
claim 0-0-2 aircraft.
  2. 149 of 162 B-17s hit the secondary target, the Hamburg port area, using
H2X radar; 1 other hits the Nordholz Airfield, a target of opportunity; they
claim 5-3-2 aircraft; 3 B-17s are lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 54
damaged; 27 airmen are MIA. The escort is 72 of 75 P-51s; they claim 0-0-2
aircraft.
  3. 114 of 129 B-24s attack the oil refinery at Hemmingstedt; 1 B-24 is lost
and 9 damaged; 12 airmen are MIA. 75 P-51s escort; they claim 2-0-1 aircraft
in the air and 1-0-2 on the ground; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA).
  4. 6 B-17s fly a screening mission without loss.
  5. 2 B-17s and 26 of 27 P-51s fly scouting missions.
  6. 78 of 82 P-51s fly a strafing mission in the Bremen-Hannover area; they
claim 2-0-3 aircraft in the air and 3-0-2 on the ground; 1 P-51 is lost
(pilot MIA).
  7. 17 P-51s escort 11 F-5s and 2 Spitfires on photo reconnaissance missions
over Germany.
  Mission 899: 1 B-17, escorted by 4 P-51s, bombs Oberursel at 1650 hours
from 25,000 feet (7,620 m); this is the first operational test of Micro-H Mk
II radar.
  Mission 900: 12 B-24s drop leaflets in the Netherlands and Germany and 2
A-26s fly CARPETBAGGER missions (1 A-26 is lost).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In Germany, 360+ A-20s, A-26s, and
B-26s bomb the Geisecke marshalling yard, Sythen ammunition-filling plant,
the town of Gronau (including a rail bridge), and several casual targets in
or near 9 other towns; fighters escort the bombers, fly patrols and armed
reconnaissance, support the US III and VII Corps just E of the Rhine River
between Bad Honningen and the Sieg River, and the XII and XX Corps as they
push to the Rhine River at Worms and at a point N of Mannheim.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Austria, 760+ B-17s and
B-24s, with fighter escort, hit the Korneuburg and Kagran oil refineries, the
marshalling yards at Wels, Sankt Polten, Amstetten, Wiener-Neustadt, and
Klagenfurt, and the tank works at Steyr. Routine supply, reconnaissance, and
escort missions continue. The 885th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 2641st
Special Group, moves from Brindisi to Rosignano, Italy with B-17s and B-24s
(the squadron transports supplies to partisans and drops leaflets).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, XXII Tactical Air
Command A-20s during the night of 19/20 Mar continue intruder missions into
the Po Valley while fighters and fighter-bombers pound communications targets
in the Valley during the day and severely damage fuel dumps near Mantua;
medium bombers hit 4 bridges on the Brenner line and 2 others in NE Italy and
hit other bridge approaches nearby. HQ 79th Fighter Group moves from Fano to
Cesenatico, Italy.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA
    Seventh Air Force: 12 Guam Island-based B-24s bomb Susaki Airfield on
Chichi Jima Island; during the night of 20/21 Mar, 4 other B-24s fly single
strikes against the airfield.
    VII Fighter Command: The air echelon of the 549th Night Fighter Squadron,
ceases operating from Saipan Island and moves to Iwo Jima with P-61s.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: On Luzon Island,
B-24s, A-20s, and fighter-bombers fly numerous ground support missions and
hit targets at Balete Pass, Bayombong, Tuguegarao, Antamok, San Fernando,
Bontoc and along roads. B-24s pound the supply and personnel area E of Cebu
City and N of Mambaling on Cebu Island, defensive positions NW of Talisay and
AA guns to the N, and also bomb Talisay on Negros Island. Other B-24s bomb
the town of Tainan, Formosa. B-25s on a shipping sweep sink 3 small vessels
near Qui Nhon, French Indochina. The 72d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 5th
Bombardment Group (Heavy), moves from Morotai Island to Samar Island with
B-24s; the detachments of the 75th and 390th Bombardment Squadrons (Medium),
42d Bombardment Group (Medium), operating from Morotai Island, return to base
at Sansapor, New Guinea with B-25s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

19/1158Z MAR

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 07:52:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japanese Planes

 >Hello people,
 >
 >    I'm a new user of Internet and this is my first week in WWII-L!
 >
 >    Let's go to the problem:
 >
 >    I'm seeking some data about the Japaneses aircrafts:
 >
 >    * AICHI M6A K - Nanzan ( a fighter interceptor ??? ), and
 >    * AICHI M6A1 - Seiran ( Codename PAUL ??? )
 >
 >used by Imperial Japanese Navy in 1942 or 1944, I not sure. If you
 >have any data about these planes (or other Japanese planes), please
 >e-mail me.
 >
 >    Thanks.
 >
 >Marco Flavio Mattana
 >Department of Industrial Design
 >PUC - Pr / Brazil
 >
 >[email-masked]

We had a discussion about this aircraft several months ago.  The
Aichi M6A Seiran (Mountain Haze) was designed to operate from the
Japanese I-400 Class submarines.  In 1942, Aichi was ordered to
design a Navy Experimental 17-Shi Specail Attack Bomber for use
aboard these boats.  Two versions of this aircraft were designed,
the M6A1 with detachable floats and intended fro attack missions
and the M6A1-K Seiran Kai, with retractable landing gear intended
for training.

The first M6A1 was completed in Nov 43 and had a 1,400 hp Aichi
AE1P Atsuta 30 twelve-cylinder inverted-vee liquid-cooled engine.
It had a complicated wing and tail folding system but the aircraft
could be readed for flight from the submarine in less than 7
minutes by 4 trained sailors.

In addition to the first prototype, the following aircraft were
built:

1. 5 additional prottypes powered by the Atsuta 31 engine.
2. 2 M6A1-K with Atsuta 32 engines
3. 18 M6A1 production aircraft with the Atsuta 32 engine.

Plans were made to attack the lock gates of the Panama Canal by the
First Submarine Flotilla consisting of I-400 and I-401 each
carrying 3 M6A1s, and I-13 and I-14 carrying 2 M6A1s.  However, the
plan was changed to attack the US Navy anchorage at Ulithi Atoll
but the war ended before the attack could be carried out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 16:26:53 GMT+1
From:    SYSTEM OPERATOR <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Worst type of service - was Re: fighter pilots

Hullo Rob,
(don't mind the header)

have you received Stalingrad all right ?

Arnaud.

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 19:17:15 +0300
From:    Ozgur Altinyay <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Worst type of service - was Re: fighter pilots

>
> Hullo Rob,
> (don't mind the header)
>
> have you received Stalingrad all right ?
>
> Arnaud.
>
 couldnt help but ask , does Stalingrad work on 4 mbytes ?
Ozgur Altinyay

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 15:02:00 -0600
From:    George Bauer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Offending Someome...

Right on, George.

I wish certain people who shall remain nameless were as concerned about not offending World War II veterans as they are concerned about not offending the Japanese!

Perhaps those unnamed individuals will choose to be in Russia on V-E day instead of in the U.S.  Perhaps some of them will even  be in Japan on V-J day apologizing for Hiroshima.
 * RoboBOARD/FX 1.04

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 14:56:08 -0600
From:    Terrence Lindell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Dudley Morton

Rod Rupert asked whether or not war patrol reports were available for
the WAHOO.  I seem to remember an advertisement indicating that the
National Archives now had patrol reports available on microfilm.

Terry Lindell
Department of History
Wartburg College
Waverly, Iowa  50677
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 15:09:24 -0600
From:    Jon Stevens <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Offending Someome...

> Perhaps those unnamed individuals will choose to be in Russia on V-E day
instead of in the U.S.

Unfortunately I will miss being in Russia for VE day by a few weeks.  It
would probably be pretty cool.  In 1991 on the aniversary of the German
invasion there was a large parade of WWII era Russian AFVs and veterans.
It would have been great to see T34's and KV's rumbling down the street,
(at least in 1991 not 1945).  I doubt if our government will sponser an
event like this.

Jon Stevens - [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 14:18:49 -0800
From:    Julian E Gomez <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Draft Requirements

>        A while back there was a question about draft designations.  At
>the risk of repeating something already posted I think I have come across
>a complete list.
>                1A  fit for general military service
>                1B  fit for limited military service
>                1C  member of the armed forces
>                1D  student fit for general military service
>                1E  student fit for limited military service
>               IIA  deferred for critical civilian work
>              IIIA  deferred due to dependants
>               IVA  already served in armed forces
>               IVB  deferred by law ie. draft officials
>               IVC  alien
>               IVD  ministers
>               IVE  conscientous objector
>               IVF  physically, mentally, or morally unfit for service

One of my draft cards was 1H, which I vaguely recall was something like
"classification in holding pending completion of student work". This was
early to mid '70's.

-----
Windows 96 == Macintosh 85

        Dr. Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
        Apple Computer, Inc.  408/862-1289 or 996-1010
        [email-masked]  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 18:04:02 EST
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 19-MAR-1945

On 19-MAR-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the U.S. 3rd Army sector, the 87th Division captures
Koblenz. The 4th Armoured Division is making good progress towards
Wendelsheim and Schimsheim. The 11th Armoured Division breaks through the
last German 7th Army defences and starts to purse the enemy on the east
bank of the Rhine. The bridgehead of the 86th Division over the Rhine is
extended. The XX Corps is advancing towards the Rhine with units of the
10th Armoured Division reaching Kaeserslautern. Kusel and St Wendel are
taken by the 80th Division. In the 7th Army sector, the 70th Division
crosses the Saar near Saarbrucken. The 7th Army offensive against the
Siegfried Line continues with the XV Corps taking Webenheim and
Zweibrucken. The VI Corps captures Wissembourg.

Philippines - The 33rd Division takes Bauang. Elements of the 38th Division
land on the east end of Caballo Island without opposition. In the XIV Corps
area, elements of the 11th Airborne Division along with guerrillas occupy
Mt. Bijang without opposition. In the 8th Army sector, the 13th Air Force
starts an intensive pre-invasion bombardment of Cebu. On Panay, the 185th
Infantry continues toward Iloilo until halted by the Japanese at Molo.

Iwo Jima - The 4th Marine Division completes re-embarkation.

Burma - The Indian 19th Division is still unable to break into Fort
Dufferin.

Japan - For the second straight day, planes form TF 58 strike at the
Japanese homeland, concentrating on Japanese fleet units in the Kure-Kobe
area. Despite extremely heavy AA fire, carrier planes damage at least 16
Japanese warships. Japanese planes hit the carrier Franklin and leave it
burning and heavily damaged. During the afternoon TF 58 withdraws
southward, covering the disabled Frankling and conducting fighter sweeps
over Kyushu airfields.

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           | [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 | http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 21:06:13 EST
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 20-MAR-1945

On 20-MAR-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the U.S. 1st Army sector, units of the 78th Division
advance north along the Rhine and reach Bergahausen. In the 3rd Amry
sector, the 94th Division is advancing rapidly reaching the Rhine north of
Mannheim. The 80th Division converges on Kaiserslautern. In the 7th Army
sector, the XXI and XV Crops are across the Siegfried Line. The 70th
Division occupies Saarbrucken. The divisions of the VI Corps are having
difficulting penetrating the Siefgried Line, however.

Eastern Front - Troops of the 1st White Russian Front overrun Alt Damm in
Pomerania and eliminate the last German bridghead across the Oder, opposite
Stettin. In East Prussia, the 3rd White Russian Front takes Braunsberg.

Philippines - In the I Corps area, the 33rd Division moves north toward San
Fernando from the Bauang sector in an attempt to link up with the guerrilla
forces of northern Luzon. The Japanese withdraw from San Fernando under the
cover of darkness. The Japanese make a determined counterattack against the
43rd Division on Mt. Caymayuman. In the 8th Army sector, on Panay elements
of the 185th Infantry drive quickly through Molo to Iloilo, which is
secured with ease. All organized resistance on Panay has now collapsed.

Burma - The Indian 19th Division breaks into Fort Dufferin at Mandalay,
finding that the Japanese have withdrawn.

The Homefront
-------------
Army Acts On Curfew - The Army has ordered its personnel to observe the
midnight curfew request of the Federal Government and military police are
to make the rounds of the bar and night clubs to insure compliance.

Negro WAC's Sentenced - Four Negro privates in the Women's Army Corps have
been sentenced to a year at hard labor and dishonorable discharge for
refusing to obey superior officers. They testified they had been ordered to
do menial work "because of their color."

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           | [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 | http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 21:50:14 EST
From:    "SGM Robert S. Rush" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Worst type of service - was Re: fighter pilots

Arnaud,
Got Stalingrad last week, sent you a message but it bounced.  Unfortunately
it uses SVGA graphics and I have a VGA monitor, so no go, like many
of the other games I have gotten lately.  Guess I will have to
upgrade soon.

How is your work going, haven't seen you on the net lately.  But then,
neither have I.

How is west front going, have you won as the Germans yet?

Cheers
Rob

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 19 Mar 1995 21:57:37 EST
From:    "SGM Robert S. Rush" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Worst type of service - was Re: fighter pilots

To WWII-L Members

Please forgive me, I meant to send my message to Arnaud by his private
post.  Instead I sent it to everyone. Mea culpa.
Rob

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 18 Mar 1995 to 19 Mar 1995
*************************************************