Subject: WWII-L Digest - 16 Mar 1995 to 17 Mar 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 00:02:06 -0500

There are 24 messages totalling 711 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Media: SecNav names ship
  2. Dudley Morton (3)
  3. Mush Morton
  4. Mountbatten Pink
  5. Ernest King (2)
  6. INF: USN Chronology 03-17-95
  7. HIST: Unit 731/Japan
  8. ADMIN: Happy Anniversary! (4)
  9. BOOK: George Browder's
 10. Doenitz and agg war
 11. POW treatment
 12. MEDIA:Belgian Sentenced
 13. MEDIA:Deserters Unchanged
 14. Subscribe
 15. Soviet operations against Japanese in Manchuria
 16. Saipan controversy
 17. INF: 50 Years Ago - 18-MAR-1945
 18. Japanese Planes

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 16 Mar 1995 20:42:53 EST
From:    S214000 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Media: SecNav names ship

15 March 1995 DoD news release:
Secretary of the Navy John Dalton announced today his decision to name a
maritime prepositioning ship in honor of First Lieutenant Harry Linn
Martin, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, posthumously awarded the Medal of
Honor for his actions during the battle of Iwo Jima on March 16,1945.
Secretary Dalton's announcement was made as part of today's activities
on the island of Iwo Jima, commemorating the 50th anniversary of that
epic World War II battle.
First Lieutenant Martin was born in Bucyrus, Ohio, on January 4, 1911,
and was a graduate of Michigan State University. He was commissioned a
second Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps in August of 1943. Lt. Martin
was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for gallantry at the cost of
his life. Just before dawn on the morning of March 16,1945, the day the
Iwo campaign officially closed, the Japanese launched a concentrated
attack and penetrated Marine lines in the area where Lt. Martin's
platoon was encamped. He immediately organized a firing line among the
men in the foxholes closest to his own, and temporarily stopped the
headlong rush of the enemy. Several of his men were lying wounded in
positions overrun by the enemy and the lieutenant was determined to
rescue them. In the action which followed, he was severely wounded twice
but continued to resist the enemy until he fell mortally wounded by a
grenade. He died ten days later.

Mike Wilson
Northern Michigan University
Marquette, Michigan

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 01:19:01 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Dudley Morton

Rod Rupert wrote:

> Are there other eyewitnesses of the event who saw it
differently? Where are their written accounts? Are the patrol reports
archived anywhere on the net?

Hoyt writes that other crew members were greatly disturbed by it, but I have
not read any other firsthand accounts myself. There are a fair number of books
 about the *Wahoo*, however. O'Kane, in his own book, cites *Wake of the
Wahoo* by Forest Sterling, who would have been there at the time, so you
might look for that. (My main field of interest is Atlantic submarine warfare,
 so I have not searched for additional material on the *Wahoo* with any great
vigor, though it's certainly worth studying, in my opinion. Maybe someday
I'll have time for that).

As for the patrol reports, I don't know of any sites on the net where they
can be had, though there may well be one or more. If you should find an FTP
site that has them, please let me know. I'd be very interested in getting a
look at them myself.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 01:19:04 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mush Morton

Rod Rupert wrote:

> Did the Wahoo ever sink another transport? If not, then the fact that
the incident was not repeated does not seem very significant.

Yes, it did, on its seventh patrol -- the patrol on which it was lost with
all hands. (Japanese accounts of the loss of the ship are the source for this
-- obviously there was no firsthand patrol report.) However, this sinking
took place in Japan's Inland Sea. Not a place where you would want to attract
attention to yourself by surfacing and firing a lot of guns.

As to the significance (or non-significance) of there being no more
incidents, that's a matter of how you define significant. It could as well be
said that Japanese merchant marine sailors, if pulled out of the water, could
go back to work as easily as troops, and that that posed a threat to American
forces, too. If merchant marine sailors are legitimate targets while sailing
in a freighter, and troops are legitimate targets while in life boats, then
are the sailors any less legitimate targets in life boats? Morton clearly did
have the opportunity to fire on survivors who were merchant marine sailors
after the transport incident, and chose not to do so. Is that significant? I
think it is.

Personally, I think the only right decision is to stop shooting once the
other guy can't shoot back, and what pips are on his uniform are irrelevant.
However, I recognize the dilemma that submarine warfare introduced into this
equation -- in a land battle, it's possible to take prisoners, even numbering
into the thousands or more. A submarine simply cannot do that without
endangering itself beyond acceptable levels. And once again, we're back to the
 *Laconia* incident, which started this whole discussion -- a case where a
U-boat skipper tried to take on boat-loads of survivors and got bombed for
his trouble.

It's a real moral dilemma, sure enough.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 01:19:09 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mountbatten Pink

Sean Barnett wrote:

> I have also read of the Japanese using pink as a camouflage color.  I
believe it was IJN Haguro that was described as a "pink-painted cruiser" when
it was sunk near the end of the war.

Fascinating. I'm glad to know this -- thanks. It strikes me as one of those
incredibly *odd* little details that make the whole study of the war so
intriguing.

> I don't know anything about the shade of pink or whether the whole ship was
painted pink or pink was merely used in a pattern.

Oh, dear. There's something about the mental image of an entire cruiser
painted pink that just...makes my brain *hurt*. :-)

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 01:19:12 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ernest King

Ben Frank wrote:

> So, I cannot say that Chester Nimitz is one of my heroes. Ernie King is,
because he was what he appeared to be, a tough naval warrior who, it was
rumoured, shaved with a blow torch.

We can agree to disagree about Nimitz. But I suspect there are merchant
mariners out there who would have *enjoyed* shaving Ernest King with a blow
torch, for his appalling lack of preparedness in the Atlantic in early 1942.
If you say he distinguished himself elsewhere, I believe you, but his failure
to take the U-boat threat off the U.S. coast seriously resulted in a naval
disaster almost without rival in our history. This is the guy who failed to
order coastal blackouts or coastwise convoys, thus allowing the sinking of
more than 300,000 tons of shipping, with the loss of more 1,500 lives, in the
first three months of 1942 alone. And while Pearl Harbor might have been a
surprise attack, there should have been nothing surprising about an Axis
submarine offensive in the Atlantic, once the declarations of war had been
made. This was simply inexcusable, and I lay much of the blame right at
King's feet.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 00:36:46 -0600
From:    "Louis R. Coatney" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ernest King

And if King was such an *efficient* hardass, why couldn't he
  ramrod through improvements in our (defective) torpedoes?
  Nimitz had to try debugging them in *Hawaii*, because the
  Navy Dept. was so unresponsive/impossible.  This had to be
  a scandal on a par with the Eastern Seaboard massacre.  Can
  you imagine what it would have been like if the Japanese had
  used their cruising submarines in an anti-commerce role as
  they should have?

Lou Coatney, [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 04:00:12 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 03-17-95

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1945
03/17 Sat.  United States naval vessel damaged:
             Submarine SPOT (SS-413),  by naval gunfire,
              off Formosa,
              23 d. 00'N., 122 d. 00'E.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: "Larry W. Jewell" <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 09:05:20 -0500
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: HIST: Unit 731/Japan

F Y I: Today's NY TIMES has a front-page, below-the-fold story. Included
are quotes from some of men who performed human vivisections without benefit
of anesthetic.

-- Warren Thompson

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 07:20:17 -0800
From:    John Riegsecker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Dudley Morton

>From:         Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      Re: Dudley Morton
>To:           Multiple recipients of list WWII-L <[email-masked]>
>
>Rod Rupert wrote:
>
>> Are there other eyewitnesses of the event who saw it
>differently? Where are their written accounts? Are the patrol reports
>archived anywhere on the net?
>
>Hoyt writes that other crew members were greatly disturbed by it, but I have
>not read any other firsthand accounts myself. There are a fair number of books
> about the *Wahoo*, however. O'Kane, in his own book, cites *Wake of the
>Wahoo* by Forest Sterling, who would have been there at the time, so you
>might look for that. (My main field of interest is Atlantic submarine warfare,
> so I have not searched for additional material on the *Wahoo* with any great
>vigor, though it's certainly worth studying, in my opinion. Maybe someday
>I'll have time for that).
>

I've read _Wake of the Wahoo_, by Forest Sterling who was the Yoeman (I
think) and as I recall, he never discusses the incident.

John Riegsecker
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Puget Sound

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:12:56 -0500
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: Happy Anniversary!

        I just wanted to send a quick message to let everyone know that
today is my first anniversary as list owner!  I wanted to take this time
to thank everyone for their many contributions that they have made to this
list.  I won't list names only because I am certain to leave out some
people due to my faulty memory and I don't want to hurt any feelings.
Let me just say, though, that without their input, this would be one
hurtin' list!  I would also like to thank everyone for their professional
attitudes in general and their calm in particular during our "MAKE MONEY
FAST" episode, the Computer Liquidation Sale, and the more recent
[email-masked] fiasco!  I would also like to thank everyone for
their patience while waiting for me to resolve various problems or
providing assistance (including video copying! I haven't forgotten!).
Finally, I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to the vets on this
list who are so willing to share their experiences with us.  (Hey, I
must sound like I've just won an Oscar for Best List Owner!  OK, I'll
thank my mom and dad too! :-)

        Running this list has been a unique and fun opportunity for me and
I have no regrets about accepting the responsibilities!  If there are any
areas upon which any of you would like to see improved, please drop me a
note.

        On the subject of problems, I will mention that the mail software
at ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu has recently been upgraded which had the undesireable
effect of filling my mailbox with megabytes of bounced mail messages.
Hopefully, it didn't impact the membership (beyond seeing the word, QUIT,
appended to messages).  In any case, most of the problems have now been
resolved.
--
Joe Barone, WWII-L listowner
[email-masked]
As much as I like Big Joe, I don't want to spend the rest of the war
in a prison camp.  Besides which, I'm a first generation Italian.
They would shoot me as a traitor.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:25:53 EST
From:    William Lippert <[email-masked]>
Subject: BOOK: George Browder's

Hello all,
   Has anyone ever read George Browders "Foundation of the Nazi Police
State"?  I am half way through it but it seems to be the most comprehensive
book on the subject.  One strong point of it is that it doesn't go too
much into biographical sketches or into a general history of the Nazi
movement which books tend to do.  If you've read this book, e-mail me
please because I'd like to discuss it.  I'm having a little trouble with
it as Browder tends to throw out hundreds of names and places without
too much structure, elaboration, or analysis.  Excellent research that
could have been presented a little better.

William Lippert
The American University

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:30:06 EST
From:    William Lippert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Doenitz and agg war

Terry,
   You mentioned in one of your posts Doenitz's aggressive use of submarines
in the Battle of the Atlantic.  This did indeed get him in some hot water.
He was held responsible for the sinking of unarmed merchants without warning
or chance for the crew to abandon ship.  However, Nimitz and many other
American naval men came to his defence, saying that the US had pursued a
similar policy in the Pacific.

William Lippert
The American University

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 12:54:58 -0500
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Happy Anniversary!

On Fri, 17 Mar 1995, Barone wrote:

>         I just wanted to send a quick message to let everyone know that
> today is my first anniversary as list owner!  I wanted to take this time
> to thank everyone for their many contributions that they have made to this
> list.  I won't list names only because I am certain to leave out some

Joe - You've done a super job and I (as well as everyone else I'm sure)
really appreciate your hard work keeping this list going. Even though I'm a
moderator for the WW II newsgroup, I use the mailing list as my primary place
for reading/learning about World War II. Thanks for your hard work.

John

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           |                      [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 |            http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:24:07 -0800
From:    Larry Godek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Happy Anniversary!

CONGRATS Joe.  Although I'm a "newbie", I'm looking forward to some
great news from your *list*.

Larry Godek
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 14:17:41 -0600
From:    Kelvin Brent Luther <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: POW treatment

On Thu, 16 Mar 1995, Jim Curry wrote:

> If Allied prisoners had been treated as well not much more than two decades
> later,there would have been little reason to complain about Japanese
> behavior.  Why was Japanese behavior so much worse in the second Great
> War?  If Mike or anyone else has any explanation, I'd like to see it.
> Jim Curry
> [email-masked]
>
        The first time the Western world was able to see how far ranging
the changes in Japan had been with regards to Western influence was the
First Sino-Japanese War in 1894-95.  With modern armies, weapons and
tactics they trounced the Chinese despite their numbers, superior navy at
that time, and the fact the Japanese had to land their troops in Korea
and China.  The Japanese treated their prisoners very well much to
everyones surprise.  There may have been thoughts that only westerners
would be treated properly yet this shows the Japanese were not yet
butchering people like they would come to do later on. (There was one
massacre of Chinese civilians when the Japanese found all of their own
civilians murdered in on of the concessions).
        Most of the reasoning I would propose for their behaviour is that
in this war, the succeeding one against Russia, and WWI, Japan was still
striving to become and to be recognized as a world power.  Everyone took
notice of Japan when she defeated Russia, and in WWI she was willing to
ally with whichever side would allow her to do as she pleased in the
Pacific.  France and Britain recognized they could not have a presence
there during the war and accepted Japan's claims to all German
possessions she took.  At this point Japan has just been accepted into
the fold with the western powers.  They believe they are equals and then
they go through all of the politics leading up to WWII which I am sure
you are familiar with.  Most importantly she now sees herself as an
equal, and then later on superior to the west.  The Japanese feel they
are then forced to lose face with the oil embargo and the constant
complaints about their conduct.  They are no longer striving to apply
western methods and goals to their society, they have assimilated what
they wanted and are now free to act as they see fit.  This leads to the
atrocities one would expect at this time amongst Asian combatants and as
the Western nations are also involved they suffer the same fate.
        The treatment of prisoners in a humane manner was part and parcel
of a complete reworking of Japanese society on a massive scale and an
incredible pace.  During the earlier conflicts they were simply emulating
western ways of doing things as they learned to adapt them to their
society.  By the time WWII roles around this is in the past and the
Japanese are again applying their own cultural mores (and those of the
militarists in power).
                                Kelvin Luther

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 16:04:16 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:Belgian Sentenced

>From the DoD Newswire 17 March 1995

:BELGIAN HOLOCAUST-DENIER FINED

   THE HAGUE, Netherlands -- A Belgian who sent a book denying
the holocaust to Dutch schools was fined and given a four-month
suspended jail term here Thursday.
   The decision was hailed by anti-racism groups as a victory for
existing Dutch laws against discrimination.
   Siegfried Verbeke, 53, was found guilty of three counts of
distributing racially insulting material and another of making
racially insulting comments in public.
   Last year, he sent the book "The Rudolf Expertise," which denies
that Nazis used gas chambers to murder Jews, to about 250 schools and
a number of public libraries last year, a court spokesman said.
   The book was written by a German scientist called Germar Rudolf.
   Dutch law prohibits any action aimed at inciting racial
discrimination.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 16:07:43 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:Deserters Unchanged

>From the DoD Newswire 17 March 1995

:BONN REJECTS MOVE TO REHABILITATE WW2 DESERTERS

     BONN, March 16 - The federal government on Thursday
rejected an opposition motion to rehabilitate Germans who deserted
from Adolf Hitler's army or who were executed or jailed for
undermining the Nazi war effort.
     Chancellor Helmut Kohl's Christian Democrats (CDU) and their Free
Democrat (FDP) allies said a wholesale pardon for anti-militarists
convicted during World War Two would be unfair to millions who fought
loyally for their fatherland.
     "We have to be careful not to make blanket judgments about guilt
and innocence in military courts and therefore in the former
Wehrmacht," CDU deputy Rupert Scholz told parliament.
     The opposition Social Democrats (SPD) and Greens introduced
separate motions in parliament calling for the rehabilitation 50 years
after the Third Reich collapsed on May 8, 1945.
     "There are only a few hundred left who could apply for
compensation," Greens deputy Volker Beck said in the debate.
     "Find a place in your heart for them at last," he urged the
government deputies.  "Let us come to an agreement 50 years after the
war's end that restores the dignity of the victims."
     The motions, the third failed bid for rehabilitation in as many
years, were referred to committees after the debate.
     About 20,000 of the 30,000 Germans sentenced for desertion or
undermining the war effort were executed during the war. Most of the
others died in concentration camps.
     Speakers for the motions said the United States executed only one
deserter during the war and Britain none.
     Survivors have a criminal record and have been denied special
compensation or pensions as victims of Nazism.
     In an emotional speech, reform communist deputy Gerhard Zwerenz
told how he deserted from Hitler's Wehrmacht after seeing it crush the
Warsaw Uprising of August 1944.
     "I would have never thought that, 50 years and six months later,
I would have to justify this desertion in parliament," Zwerenz said as
he accused West Germany of rehabilitating the Nazi judges who meted
out the death sentences to deserters.
     Scholz said Bonn condemned Third Reich injustices and wanted to
compensate those who suffered under the Nazis.
     But he warned against equating all deserters with resistance
fighters now honoured for their opposition to Hitler.
     "One aspect to consider is whether other people's lives were
endangered by a desertion," he argued.
     The issue is a tough one for the centre-right government, whose
deputies argued both that Hitler's war was criminal but that fleeing
from the swastika banner was not.
     It is also difficult to justify treating deserters and war
critics as traitors while officially honouring the officers who staged
the abortive July 1944 coup against Hitler.
     West Germany's peace movement launched the campaign to
rehabilitate Wehrmacht deserters in the early 1980s and more than 60
cities have erected memorials to them since then.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 13:59:06 -0800
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Subscribe

I would like to dsubscribe to the World War II discussion group.  Please send me
    any information that I may need.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 15:51:22 -0600
From:    Greg Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Soviet operations against Japanese in Manchuria

while Mike takes in a well-deserved deep breath between postings, I'll
just toss this in for the heck of it--

BLOOD ON THE SHORES: SOVIET SEALS IN WORLD WAR II by Viktor Leonov has
just gotten into paperback (Ivy Books, 1994).  This neat little title has
a couple chapters on operations of Soviet naval scouts (morskiye
razvedchiki) against Japanese-held Korean ports in August 1945.  What's
really great is that it's in PAPERBACK, for those of us whose book
budgets are tied up with such costly titles as ROMANIAN CASSANDRA or
SWORD OF THE ARCHANGEL :-) [hey, these symbols are cool!! :-)) ]

BTW, watch for future installments of "Micro Nations in World War II"--
there will be one for Mongolia (eventually...).

                                          Glad To Be Of Service!

                                          Greg Kelley
                                          St. Paul Public Library
                                          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 17:25:38 EST
From:    Charles Mattocks <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Saipan controversy

Hi Ben!

I remember reading about this but all the details are foggy, could reenlighten
this Marine!

Chip Mattocks

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 19:14:36 EST
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 18-MAR-1945

On 18-MAR-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the U.S. 1st Army sector, the III Corps continues its
offensive reaching Windhaven. In the 3rd Army sector, the 87th Division
continues with the battle for Koblenz. The 5th Division reaches the area
between Gemunden, Mengerschied and Sargenroth. The 89th Division reinforces
its positions east of the Moselle. The 76th Division establishes a
bridgehead over the Moselle, southeast of Wittlich. In the 7th Army sector,
the VI, XXI and XV Corps succeed in crossing the German frontier.

Eastern Front - The 1st White Russian Front captures the town and port of
Kolberg in Pomerania, the last German pocket on the Baltic coast between
the Polish corridor and Stettin Bay.

Philippines - The 25th Division at last overruns the Japanese positions
north of Putlan that have been delaying it for some days. The 6th Division
recovers ground last previously in a counterattack. In the 8th Army sector,
the 40th Division lands on southern Panay. The landing is unopposed and the
assault forces move rapidly east and northeast toward Iloilo.

Iwo Jima - The 5th Marine Division is methodically reducing the final
pocket of resistance on Iwo Jima.

Japan - In preparation for Operation Iceberg (the invasion of the Ryukyus),
carrier planes of TF 58 attack the Japanese homeland to neutralize the
airfields on Kyushu. The strikes are highly effective, resulting in heavy
damage to airfields and installations and destruction of many aircraft on
the ground and in the air.

The Homefront
-------------
New York Curfew Relaxed - Mayor Fiorello La Guardia has announced the
extension of New York's curfew hour from midnight to 1 a.m.

Meat "Famine" Near - A survey of packing companies shows that many meats
are 100% in short supply for the country as a whole. Black markets, bad
cattle-breeding regulations and low wholesale ceiling prices are blamed.

Pope Condemns German Race Doctrine - In his Passion Sunday address today
Pope Pius II repudiated the "advocates of violence" and the "idolatry of
absolute nationalism, the pride of race and blood and the desire for
hegemony in the possession of wordly goods."

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           | [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 | http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 19:49:00 EST
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Happy Anniversary!

We're with ya Joe.

-Al

Alan Wild, Sr. Prog/Analyst
ACC - Lippitt - URI
Kingston, RI  02881

American Legion, Post 102
I am the NRA.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 23:47:06 GT-003
From:    Marco Flavio Mattana <[email-masked]>
Subject: Japanese Planes

Hello people,

    I'm a new user of Internet and this is my first week in WWII-L!

    Let's go to the problem:

    I'm seeking some data about the Japaneses aircrafts:

    * AICHI M6A K - Nanzan ( a fighter interceptor ??? ), and
    * AICHI M6A1 - Seiran ( Codename PAUL ??? )

used by Imperial Japanese Navy in 1942 or 1944, I not sure. If you
have any data about these planes (or other Japanese planes), please
e-mail me.

    Thanks.

Marco Flavio Mattana
Department of Industrial Design
PUC - Pr / Brazil

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Mar 1995 22:56:53 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Dudley Morton

John Riegsecker wrote:

> I've read _Wake of the Wahoo_, by Forest Sterling who was the Yoeman (I
think) and as I recall, he never discusses the incident.

That's disappointing. Do you know of any other first-person accounts?

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 16 Mar 1995 to 17 Mar 1995
*************************************************