Subject: WWII-L Digest - 8 Mar 1995 to 9 Mar 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 00:03:42 -0500

There are 40 messages totalling 1711 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. VJ DAY "REMEMBERED"
  2. Intelligence on Tirpitz
  3. NOST: UK Sites
  4. THOUGHTS: Germany and guilt (2)
  5. Re2: THOUGHTS: Germany an...
  6. Johnson Automatic Rifle
  7. Britain and V-J Day (2)
  8. Media: Most combat-decorated soldier buried (2)
  9. Aggressive Warfare
 10. POSTMORTEM ON JAPAN PO
 11. NEW MEMBER
 12. Your Recent Post (was: Intro to List)
 13. Apologies to the emporer for Japan posts
 14. Native Americans in WW2
 15. MEDIA:RIP LTC Urban
 16. MEDIA:Tokyo Remembers
 17. Postmortem on Japan posts (2)
 18. MEDIA:Remagen Bridge
 19. MEDIA:Austria's Nazi Past
 20. more on "Glacier Girl" P-38F
 21. INFO: Marianas
 22. Re2: THOUGHTS: Germany and guilt
 23. More on Bong
 24. Japan bibliography (2)
 25. VJ Day (2)
 26. Japan biblio (2)
 27. Re2: endlossung/Germans or Nazis?
 28. KAMIKAZES AIRCRAFTS
 29. Accuracy and  "Victory at Sea"  (was- Re: Battle of the Bulge)
 30. INF: 50 Years Ago - 10-MAR-1945
 31. Generals
 32. New User Intro
 33. [INF] USAAF 10 MAR 45

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 00:51:55 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: VJ DAY "REMEMBERED"

Ron, I posted the item. It appeared on page A-29 of the Washington Post of 5
March. It was written by T.R. Reid, the Post's Tokyo correspondent. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 01:37:28 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Intelligence on Tirpitz

Sidney Allinson wrote:

> Jodi, it really isn't necessary to dismiss heroism out of hand. :-)

Ack! Nor did I intend to, though in retrospect I can see how my post might
have been taken that way. It must have been too late and too many hours in
staring-at-the-screen mode.

Thanks. I will launch a full-scale search for the book.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 01:37:31 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NOST: UK Sites

> Fourth, RAF Duxford, also part of the Imperial War Museum (but located in
Duxford) -- lots of restored airplanes and interesting exhibits.  It's
located on the site of a WWII airfield.  If you're lucky (and I was when
I visited), there will be some flying activity involving WWII vintage
aircraft.

I can second this vote. It'd be a fairly long day trip from London, but they
have *fast* and relatively cheap trains over there, so it could be done in a
day, and I thought it was terrific. Duxford is near Cambridge, incidentally.
I was there in 1986, so I can't begin to offer realistic information about
1995 costs or hours, but it's a fascinating place.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 01:37:35 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: THOUGHTS: Germany and guilt

William Lippert wrote:

>The second was for his infamous "Laconia" order, I think it was
called, saying that (and this is not a direct quote but off the top of my
head) "the rescuing of surivivng crew members of enemy ships is incompatible
with the total war on the sea.  All efforts must be taken to see that the
crew of enemy ships do not hinder naval operations".  According to him,
he was just saying that U-boats shouldn't surface to rescue survivors for
longer than they had to - only to capture captains and other officers.

     According to Terraine's  *The U-Boat Wars: 1916-195*:

     "All attempts to rescue members of ships sunk, therefore also fishing
out swimmers and putting them into lifeboats, righting capsized lifeboats,
handing out provisions and water, have to cease. Rescue contradicts the most
fundamental demands of war for the annihilation of enemy ships and crews.
 ... Be hard. Think of the fact that the enemy in his bombing asttacks on
German towns has no regard for women and children."

     The irony, of course, is that this order was issued after the U-156 had
been repeatedly attacked by Allied aircraft while attempting to rescue
*Laconia* survivors. I like Terraine's ending analysis: "The *Laconia* story
is blurred at every edge; if there is any moral at all to be extracted from
it, it would seem to be only a repetition, once again, of Admiral Fisher's
perception in 1913 to the effect that submarine warfare 'is acknowledged to
be an altogether barbarous method ... (but) the essence of war is violence,
and moderation in war is imbecility.'"
     Doenitz, being a thoroughgoing Nazi in a political sense, is not what I
would want as a role model for my children, but he certainly had a duty to
try to protect his subordinates. Under the circumstances, I'm not sure there
was any option for him except to order his boats not to pick up survivors.
     I have always wanted someone to explain to my perhaps-too-literal brain
just why "aggressive war" is a war crime. What the heck is a "non-aggressive
war?" If all parties are "non-aggressive," there's no war, right? Despite my
slightly flippant tone, I'm serious about this question -- what were the
folks at Nuremburg really trying to accomplish by establishing this as a war
crime?

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 01:37:36 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Re2: THOUGHTS: Germany an...

Alex Bielakowski wrote:

> I can't
remember many instances of American subs picking up survivors of sunken
Japanese ships in the Pacific.

No, and there is at least one notorious instance of an American boat gunning
Japanese survivors in the water. The skipper in question, Dudley Morton,
didn't survive the war, but my bet is that if he had, he would *not* have
been tried for war crimes. At the risk of sounding like an Axis apologist (whi
ch I am *not*) I think we are sometimes too quick to forget that war is
conducted by human beings, none of whom are perfect -- including us. I don't
know that I agree that Doenitz "got a raw deal," but I think there's a fair
amount of irony in the specific charges on which he got nailed.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 01:37:40 -0500
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: THOUGHTS: Germany and guilt

Sidney Allinson wrote:

> ...German Fuhrer GrossAdmiral Karl Doenitz spent the last decades of his
long life assiduously erasing his Nazi past...

     Well, yes, but he was hardly the only one, and some who deserved worse
served less prison time (or ended up living as comfortable middle-class
citizens here in the States, courtesy of Uncle Sam, which frankly makes me
madder than blazes). I don't know -- I have very mixed feelings about Doenitz.
 I don't think the mere fact that he was politically a Nazi (if he tried to
cover that up, he didn't do a very good job of it) automatically constitutes
a war crime. I don't care much for Nazis, then or now, but I think actions,
not political philosphies, are crimes. On the other hand, if he did know
things about the liquidations, then I might be inclined to revise my opinion
of him. But the quote from Topp's book doesn't cite any specifics.
     By the way, thanks for that citation -- I'll search for that one, too.
My husband recently picked up a copy of Cremer's *U-boat Commander* (retitled
from the original *U-333*), which has been out of print for a while, at a gun
show. Needless to say, the spouse has been getting a royal treatment for a
couple of weeks after making that find. He knows how to get chocolate-chip
cookies from scratch when he wants them!

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 01:29:54 -0500
From:    John Cropp <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Johnson Automatic Rifle

On Tue, 7 Mar 1995, Jon Stevens wrote:
> What caliber was this rifle? 30.06?
> Was this rifle found to be a "dud" like the Reising smg in combat conditions?

The Johnson Rifle fired 30.06.  It was not a "dud", but it was not as
rugged as the M1 and jammed more often.  Still it was capable of accurate
fire of a heavy rifle caliber.  I've fired the Johnson, and would not feel
naked in a social situation.  Its' trigger was as good as the M1, and its
loading procedure was almost as good.  Not a bad piece, but it was in 2nd
place to the Garand.
                         Hope this helps,
                         John Cropp

John L. Cropp                      *   "Quomodo manibus mortalis
[email-masked]      *    talia magna opera
11041 Fancher Rd.                  *    coquinaria?"
Westerville, OH 43082              *

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 08:21:56 +0000
From:    Nechama Cox <[email-masked]>
Subject: Britain and V-J Day

The Times yesterday published a couple of articles on V-J Day.  I thought
this one might be of interest to the list.

(Please excuse the typos, it is early here.)

The Times, March 8, 1995

"VJ veterans appalled by US appeasement"

        British verterans of the Far East campaign expressed disgust
yesterday at President Clinton's decision to ban the term VJ-Day -- Victory
over Japan -- from American commemorations marking the 50th anniversary of
the end of the Second World War.
        Dowing Street, however, said Britain had no plans to bow to
Japanese sensibilities and that the term VJ-Day, in common use for half a
century, would be applied to British events marking the anniversary in
August.  Air Vice-Marshall Sir Bernard Chacksfield, chairman of the Burma
Star Association, which represents 17,000 survivors of the war against
Japan, said that his organization had made strong representations to John
Major when the anniversary events were being planned.
        "This was a victory over Japan; there can be no flannelling about.
We do not feel like being mealy-mouthed in commemorating a victory that was
won at such cost in lives."  The American decision to bow to diplomatic
pressure and name the commemorations simply End of the War was disgusting,
he said.
        Harold Payne, president of the Far East Prisoners of War
Association, took an equally firm view.  "I don't care a sausage what other
countries do; we are British, and to us VJ is victory over Japan.  Why
should we change it out of consideration for the Japanese?  They did not
give much consideration to us when we were their prisoners of war."  There
was still a strong anti-Japanese feeling within his association's 68
branches.
        The Royal British Legion said yesterday that it had "no problem"
with the term VJ-Day.  The Japanese Embassy in London refused to be drawn
into the controversy, saying that the manner and naming of commemerations
was a matter for individual governments.  An Embassy spokesman denied that
Toyko had applied diplomatic pressure, but the fact remains that Australia
and New Zealand have opted for "Victory in the Pacific" as the title of
their events, and Canada has opted for "Canada Remembers".
        The date of Germany's surrender, May 8, 1945, is known as Victory
in - not over - Europe and the Japanese believe they have been singled out
in terms of semantics.

Maybe the British have something here :)

Nechama Cox
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 08:29:58 EST
From:    Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Subject: Media: Most combat-decorated soldier buried

Army pallbearers carried the casket of Lt. Col. Matt Urban during funeral
services at Arlington Nation Cemetary yesterday. Urban, 75, a World War
II veteran known as the most combat-decorated soldier in U.S. history,
died last week of complications from a colapsed lung. he was awarded 29
medals for bravery and received the Purple Heart 7 times.

God Speed,...

Alan Wild, Sr. Prog/Analyst
ACC - Lippitt - URI
Kingston, RI  02881

American Legion, Post 102
I am the NRA.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 08:36:54 EST
From:    William Lippert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Aggressive Warfare

Jodi,
   You bring up a good question and many Germans felt they were given a
"raw deal" not only because they were tried for aggressive warfare, but
also for the other crimes which were not illegal before their commitment.
In this country (the US) one cannot be tried of committing a crime before
it is a crime.  That's called ex post facto.
    But there is such a thing as "aggressive warfare" and the idea has run
through the centuries.  I suppose it was first seriously implemented in
modern history after WWI when the Germans were forced to admit that they
were the guilty party for causing it.
    I can first tell you what is considered non-aggressive warfare.

1. Defensive Warfare: the act of defending against an aggressive nation.
Kuwait would be an example, or Belgium in WWII
2. War to correct a gross immorality: Somalia, Haiti, and the protection of
the Kurds would fall under this category (though they were not necessarily
wars).
3. There may be others I don't remember

Anyway, aggressive warfare is rather subjective in its definition.  Sometimes
the protection of citizens abroad is considered aggressive, sometimes not.
As for Doenitz, I do not believe that he was guilty of waging agressive
war.  Maybe the Wermacht general staff, such as Keitel or Jodl, but not
Doenitz.  He had no real impact on the decision of the war or its waging
(aside from the subs) until he was appointed CINC in 1942(?)  If the
tribunal came to their decision on this basis, that he was CINC, I wonder
why they would think he was guilty of waging an aggressive war three years
after it had started.

Well, that's my thoughts.

William Lippert
The American University

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:00:10 -0500
From:    Ben Frank <[email-masked]>
Subject: POSTMORTEM ON JAPAN PO

Well done, Mike. Ben Frank

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 08:04:22 CST
From:    "SCHERRER, TIM" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NEW MEMBER

I've seen the books and I knew John Wilson who was in the B-24 book--I'm
also in the WWII Airman's Preservation Society and we have all the gear
you could ever want to do pictures for additional books.  We did the
display at the 91st Bomb Group Reunion this summer and the vet's said it
was like walking back into the past.  TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 08:12:16 -0500
From:    James Ray Watkins <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Your Recent Post (was: Intro to List)

>On Tue, 7 Mar 1995, George Bauer wrote:
>
>> I hope the misspellings in your recent post are typographical errors
>> rather than actual misspellings
>
>* JBJ responds-
>Mr. Bauer:
>     I rarely respond to such inane baiting--but just to give some
>color to your (obviously) otherwise sad existence--I will try to
>answer your concerns. I aplogize to the other list members in advance.

None needed, I think your right on the money. I got one of these ugly little
things too a few weeks back. The language police. And a class/caste thing,
too. I spent too much time for the last twenty-years trying to follow those
rules. G.B. Shaw once pointed out that fish could be spelled ghoti. Go figure.

Ray

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:23:46 -0400
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Apologies to the emporer for Japan posts

        I'm almost beginning to think I should have quit while I was ahead.  In
rereading my final appendix on the battleships, I caught yet another error.
When I said I was having a bad week, I wasn't kidding.  Hope I haven't
succeeded in damaging my credibility.  Anyway, for some reason best known to my
fugitive brain cells, I said the Japanese Navy D3A divebomber usually didn't
carry bombs heavier than 220 lbs.  In fact, its usual load was one 551-lb bomb
under the fuselage and a 66-lb bomb under each wing.
        That "Ching" Lee error still bothers me, especially since I was
familiar with the outlines of his wartime career (even if, obviously, I didn't
know as much as I thought I did about the man himself).  I even knew he was one
of the US Navy's top experts on gunnery radar, not to mention one of our top
battleship commanders (Lee was the US commander at the battleship encounter I
just described, the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal-- also in charge of the
famed Task Force 34 under Halsey at Leyte Gulf).  On a brighter note, I have
since found out why all mention of Admiral Tanaka vanishes after mid-1943.
After the sinking of the JINTSU in the action I described off Kolombangara, he
apparently complained too heartily that the attempts to keep the Solomons
reinforced and resupplied were too costly in terms of ships, and was relieved
of his command.
        All of the naval actions around Guadalcanal from the carrier battle off
the Santa Cruz islands in late October through the two naval battles in narrow
waters off the island were part of the same elaborate series of maneuvers by
the Japanese naval forces under Admiral Kondo to pass a large supply and
reinforcement convoy to the island.  This convoy consisted of 11 transports
escorted by 12 of Tanaka's destroyers, and carrying a total of 12,000 troops
(most of the veteran 38th Division and 3,000 marines) and 10,000 tons of
supplies.  American air attacks sank all but four of the transports en route,
and these last four, beached so that they could be unloaded, were virtually
destroyed by further bombing runs.  Less than 4,000 men and only five tons of
the vital supplies made it to the island, and it was this failure that
ended the Japanese attempts to retake Guadalcanal.  Since I referred to Col.
Hattori of the Japanese operations section, I should mention that it was he who
vetoed an earlier plan by Tsuji to regain air supremacy over Guadalcanal by
withdrawing significant air units from Manchuria.  Even at this stage Hattori
was too worried such a weakening of Manchurian defenses would invite a Russian
attack.
        I realize that in the course of all these posts one action I never
referred to was the Japanese landings on the Aleutian islands of Attu and
Kiska.  This was a subsidiary operation of the Midway battle, carried out
partly as a diversion, supported by two light carriers.  It was the one part of
the Japanese plan that worked perfectly, but it was only a secondary part of
the plan.  The Japanese subsequently fought a long delaying action on Attu
before being wiped out (here they really used bamboo spear tactics at the end--
the last charge by some 800 Japanese included a number of men with rifles who
charged with fixed bayonets because they were out of ammunition).  They managed
to withdraw undetected from Kiska.  The most notable action in the Aleutians
might have been the naval battle of Komodorski bay, where the American heavy
cruiser SALT LAKE CITY along with a light cruiser and some destroyers engaged
in a long-range daylight gunnery duel with the Japanese heavy cruisers NACHI
and MAYA, who were escorting two merchantmen with reinforcements.  Though the
SALT LAKE CITY was left dead in the water (after itself scoring several hits on
the NACHI) the Japanese admiral withdrew (he was relieved of his command for
this).
        Another remarkable Pacific naval action I wish I'd gotten into occurred
in the Indian Ocean in November 1942.  Two Japanese commerce raiders-- armed
merchant ships that utilized disguise to close with their victims-- attacked
the Dutch tanker ONDINA, escorted by the 733-ton Indian Navy minesweeper
BENGAL.  The Japanese ships, HOKOKO MARU and AIKOKO MARU, each mounted eight
5.5-inch guns.  The BENGAL had a single 3-inch gun, the ONDINA one 4-inch.
Yet the two Allied ships fought the Japanese off, the BENGAL actually sinking
the HOKOKO MARU (which caught fire after being hit), although the Dutch tanker
also sank as a result of damage in the battle.
        Finally, some war in the Pacific trivia:

        FIRST SHOTS FIRED AGAINST THE WESTERN ALLIES were by Japanese cruisers
                which began bombarding the landing beach and airfield at
                Kota Bharu in northeastern Malaya a good half hour before
                Japanese planes appeared over Pearl Harbor
        FIRST SHOTS OF THE PACIFIC WAR BY AMERICANS came from the destroyer
                WARD, which fired at a surfaced Japanese midget sub trying to
                sneak into Pearl Harbor before the air attack, scoring a hit
                on the conning tower at point-blank range.
        FIRST JAPANESE PRISONER OF WAR was Ensign Kazuo Sakamaki, who was
                washed ashore uncouncious after his midget sub went aground
                on Oahu.
        FIRST AMERICAN FIGHTER ACE OF THE PACIFIC WAR was Edward "Butch"
                O'Hare, the guy the airport in Chicago is named after, who
                while flying off the carrier LEXINGTON in February 1942 got
                in among a Japanese bomber formation and shot down five in
                five minutes.  O'Hare recorded 12 aerial victories before he
                was killed in 1944 by the tail gunner of an American TBF
                torpedo bomber in a case of mistaken identity.
        FIRST USE OF NAPALM IN THE PACIFIC came during the campaign on Tinian.

        Regards

        Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 08:26:11 -0600
From:    Greg Kelley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Native Americans in WW2

Native Americans serving in World War II

Army         21,767

Navy          1,910

Marines         874

Coast Guard     121

TOTAL        24,672

Five Native Americans won the Medal of Honor during the war--
one with the 26th Division in Sicily (John N. Reese, an Oklahoma Creek),
three with the 45th Division in Italy (Van T. Barfoot, Choctaw, Ernest
Childers, Oklahoma Creek, and Jack Montgomery, Oklahoma Cherokee), and
the fifth (Ernest E Evans, Pawnwee) was a posthumous award for commanding
the USS Johnston (DD-557) at Leyte Gulf.

Of the Native Americans sering with the Marines, some 400 were Navajos
assigned to the Third, Fourth, and Fifth Marine Divisions as part of the
Navajo code talkers program.

Both Choctaws and Comanches were used with Army Signal Corps units in the
European Theater of Operations.

Above cited from THE NATIVE AMERICAN ALMANAC (Prentice-Hall, 1994)

                                          Glad To Be Of Service!

                                          Greg Kelley
                                          St. Paul Public Library
                                          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 10:32:19 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:RIP LTC Urban

>From the DoD Newswire 6 March 1995

:LT. COL. MATT URBAN DIES

   HOLLAND, Mich.  -- Lt. Col. Matt Urban, a highly-decorated
combat soldier in World War II and recipient of the Medal of Honor,
died Saturday from complications of a collapsed lung. He was 75.
   Nicknamed "The Ghost" because of his sophisticated combat
exploits, Urban was awarded 29 medals for bravery and was awarded the
Purple Heart seven times, one for each time he was wounded in battle.
He was listed as "the most combat-decorated soldier in American
history" in the 1989 Guinness Book of World Records.
   Urban led his troops through six campaigns in North Africa,
Sicily, Belgium, France and Germany.
   He was awarded the Medal of Honor on July 19, 1980, by President
Carter, 35 years after the original nomination was lost. The medal is
the nation's highest decoration for bravery.
   Other awards he received include the Silver Star, Legion of Merit,
Bronze Star, Presidential Unit Citation, World War II Victory Medal
and the American Defense Service Medal.
   He also wrote the book, "The Matt Urban Story: Life and World War
II Experiences."
   Urban was born in New York state. In Michigan, he was recreation
director for the city of Port Huron for seven years, director of the
Monroe Community Center for 16 years and director of the civic and
recreation department of Holland.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 10:34:15 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:Tokyo Remembers

>From the DoD Newswire 6 March 1995

:TOKYO RECALLS DEADLY AIR RAID

   TOKYO  -- A picture of peace and calm, children play in a
sandbox outside the Ireido temple, their laughter mixing with the
sweet smell of incense in the cool air of late winter.
   Fifty years ago, the spot was at the center of one of the most
horror-filled nights of World War II: the firebombing of Tokyo.
   The world remembers the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki,
which climaxed intensifying U.S. air and land attacks designed to end
a war that began with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. But this
week, the Japanese capital recalls its own descent into hell in the
early hours of March 10, 1945.
   "It was just after midnight when I was awakened by the sound of
the B-29s," said Katsumoto Saotome, who was a child of 12 at the
time. "By the time I looked outside, the flames were already raging
and spreading everywhere."
   For the next several hours, 334 American bombers dropped more than
1,700 tons of incendiary bombs. By dawn, Tokyo was an inferno.
   Fanned by winds created by its own flames, the firestorm razed an
area of roughly 16 square miles -- one fifth of the city. It was the
war's deadliest air raid, outstripping the carnage 27 days earlier
when British and American bombers produced a firestorm in Dresden,
Germany.
   Estimates of the death toll in Tokyo run from 83,000 to 197,000 --
the enormous range a measure of the scale of destruction. Along with
so much else, the flames incinerated family registers and other
demographic records making it impossible for authorities to
accurately measure casualties.
   One million people were left homeless by the attack, which
destroyed working-class areas in northeast Tokyo and left huge swaths
of burned-out blocks in landmark neighborhoods like the Ginza
district.
   "My family lost our house, everything," said Saotome. "But by
dawn, we realized we were lucky. That's when we reached the river and
saw the water thick with corpses. It was terrible."
   Saotome, who has dedicated his life to documenting the bombing's
effects, says he believes about 100,000 people died that night, with
10,000 more killed in later air raids before Japan's surrender on
Aug. 16, 1945. He agrees the precise number of deaths may never be
known.
   Because it was carried out with conventional weapons -- mostly
incendiary bombs and napalm -- the Tokyo raid has long been seen as a
historical footnote to the unleashing of a shocking new weapon, the
atomic bomb.
   There is little doubt, however, that the Tokyo firestorm caused
roughly the same number of immediate deaths as the bombing of
Hiroshima on Aug. 6, 1945, and more than the total number killed
three days later in the bombing of Nagasaki, roughly 70,000.
   The attack on Tokyo, which came as U.S. Marines fought hideously
bloody battles on the island of Iwo Jima, marked a dramatic raising
of the stakes in the Pacific War. Within weeks, a half dozen other
major Japanese cities became smoldering wastelands.
   "It was all part of one process," said Saotome. "From the blanket
bombing that started with Tokyo, things escalated to Hiroshima."
   In recent years, Tokyo has designated March 10 -- which during the
war was Army Day -- as Peace Day.
   Buddhist and Roman Catholic services are to be held at the Ireido
temple, where the souls of the people killed in the bombing raids and
an additional 58,000 who died in the Tokyo earthquake of 1923 are
worshipped.
   A major exhibition on the bombing has drawn thousands of visitors
over the past few weeks at one Tokyo museum. A ward office in
downtown Tokyo has collected tens of thousands of paper cranes, a
traditional symbol of health and recovery, for a memorial it is
planning.
   For some who lived through the bombing to see Japan rise from the
ashes of defeat to become a world power, there is concern that the
most important lessons have yet to be learned.
   "Our government has never reflected on the past," Saotome said.
"It has never apologized to those it harmed. We will never be able to
put this behind us until that is done."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:20:16 -0700
From:    Jim O'Neil <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Postmortem on Japan posts

Mike,
I don't think you owe anyone an apology. I wish I could discourse half so
intelligently on the subject, and I have read much of what you have. You
have a real talent for pulling the meat of the matter out, and explaining
it clearly. Now when do we get the cover page and the table of contents for
your book?

Rear Admiral Willis A Lee Jr; An Annapolis Graduate [I was wrong too - his
nick-name "Ching Chong" came from there according to Coggins in "The
Campaign for Guadacannal"] and a Radar expert, as well as a Battleship
Gunnery Jock par excellance. My books are so confused i can't find all the
stuff I am sure I have on this man; He's a very interesting character -
read: "Battleship at War" by Ivan Musicant for some insights. He [Lee] died
of a heart attack on 25 Aug 1945 in his launch at Casco Bay, Maine, while
working on anti-kamikaze tactics & gunnery techniques for the Navy.
        Sorry I can't find more

Jim O'Neil   Indecision is the cornerstone of Military Flexibility

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 10:29:40 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:Remagen Bridge

>From the DoD Newswire 7 March 1995

:'MIRACLE OF REMAGEN' RECALLED

   REMAGEN, Germany -- After a career that owed much to American
friends, Heinz Schwarz recalls with pleasure the morning he
eavesdropped on the urgent message to the commander of the Remagen
bridge 50 years ago.
   "The Amis have broken through!" the caller said. "Prepare to blow
the bridge! Heil Hitler!"
   Schwarz, then 16, fled his post at the telephone exchange atop the
bridge tower on the east side of the Rhine.
   Within an hour, U.S. Army Sgt. Michael Chinchar had captured that
tower, leading an American column that swarmed across the bridge into
military history.
   The events of March 7, 1945, were quickly dubbed the "Miracle of
Remagen."
   The miracle was that the methodical German army had failed to
destroy a bridge over the Rhine, the most important natural obstacle
to the Allied advance into Germany.
   Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower pushed 25,000 soldiers across the
railroad bridge from its capture until it collapsed 10 days later. By
then, Army engineers had put two pontoon bridges across the river. An
enraged Hitler ordered a kangaroo court to execute four officers in
charge of the bridge.
   The Remagen bridgehead "was psychologically devastating" to
Germany and probably shortened the war by anywhere from a week to a
month, thus saving thousands of lives, said Kurt Kleemann, Remagen's
historian and an organizer of 50th anniversary observances.
   In the intervening years, Germans who came to see World War II as
a disastrous sacrifice for an evil Fuehrer began to view the loss of
the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen as their victory, too.
   "Imagine how many more towns would have been reduced to rubble if
the Americans had been stuck on the western side of the Rhine and had
to bomb and shell their way across," said Schwarz. "And meanwhile,
the Russians would have advanced farther in the east."
   The plan for the Rhineland offensive of February 1945 called for
British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery's 21st Army Group to storm
across the Rhine north of the Ruhr Valley, while the U.S. 12th Army
Group, to the south, pushed up to the river, without crossing it.
   But when the soldiers of the U.S. 9th Armored Division, after
fighting their way through the valleys of the Eifel, reached a
plateau above Remagen on March 7, the Ludendorff Bridge rose from the
Rhine mist below them. German troops and civilians were pouring
across it in retreat.
   Violating his instructions to proceed down the Rhine, Gen. William
M. Hoge ordered his men to take the bridge.
   "What if the bridge blows up in my face?" asked Lt. Karl
Timmermann, whose company got the nod to lead the charge. No one
answered him.
   Chinchar, having led his men into Remagen town on the west end of
the bridge, was busy chasing down a prisoner as Timmerman got the
order to cross the bridge.
   "I came back to my post and Timmermann says, 'Where the hell you
been? Get across that bridge,"' Chinchar recalled in a phone
conversation from his home in Saddle Brook, N.J. "I told him, 'I'm
going to sit here and catch my breath."'
   Timmermann threatened to court-martial him, and Chinchar said,
"OK, here's my rifle."
   It was a fortuitous bit of insubordination. As Chinchar sat and
smoked, with Timmermann pacing and fuming, the men heard a "whoosh"
as 660 pounds of dynamite lifted the bridge from its stone piers.
   But when the dust settled, the bridge was intact. No one knows
why, but not all the charges exploded.
   Many of the German soldiers fled into the railroad tunnel on the
east end of the bridge. Others deserted. Schwarz walked to his family
home, four miles south.
   Chinchar saddled up. "I said, 'OK, let's go,' and (Pvt. Artis)
Massie says, 'I don't wanna, but I will."'
   Over the years, in a retelling heightened by the 1968 movie "The
Bridge at Remagen," legend has Chinchar crossing the 1,050-foot
bridge in a hail of bullets.
   But he describes the bridge capture as practically a cakewalk.
   "As far as I know of, I didn't get shot at," said Chinchar, 77. "I
wasn't running through anything but air."
   Still, there was shooting, particularly when the soldiers fought
their way up the big cliff looming over the eastern end of the
bridge. Twenty-four Americans died on or around the bridge.
   Six hundred men were involved in taking the bridge, including 200
engineers who cut wires to the unexploded dynamite and did quick
repairs. Chinchar, Timmermann and 11 others were awarded the
Distinguished Service Cross.
   Timmermann died of cancer in 1951. His widow, La Vera Hansen, who
has since remarried, will attend the 50th anniversary commemmoration
this year with Chinchar.
   "What Karl did made a place in history," she said in a telephone
interview from Mesa, Ariz. "But he didn't feel he was somebody
special. All the boys coming home at that time felt they did what
they had to do."
   For Heinz Schwarz, the loss of the bridge meant the war was over.
Arriving at his home in the town of Leubsdorf, he hid his uniform
in a crate, and waited. The first Americans arrived four days later,
and Schwarz had the chance to try out his trade school English.
   "How is Shirley Temple?" he asked them.
   Schwarz became a leader of the young Christian Democratic party
after the war and visited the United States at President Eisenhower's
invitation in 1958.
   He worked closely with the FBI as interior minister of
Rhineland-Palatinate state in the early 1970s. Helmut Kohl, now
chancellor, was then governor of the state, which includes Remagen.
   The Ludendorff Bridge, built during World War I to move troops and
supplies to the Western Front, was never rebuilt. In 1980, Remagen
Mayor Hans-Peter Kuerten sold bits of the bridge to finance a "peace
museum" in the bridge towers facing the basalt cliffs across the
river.
   "The bridge was built for war, and when it was destroyed, we were
happy to see it gone," said Kuerten, now retired. "It was the start
of a true democracy in Germany, and the building of bridges of
another kind to America."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 10:25:42 -0500
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:Austria's Nazi Past

>From the DoD Newswire 7 March 1995

:WAR ANNIVERSARY CONFRONTS AUSTRIA WITH NAZI PAST

     VIENNA, March 7 - When Austria, like the rest of Europe,
commemorates the end of World War Two this spring, its people will
come face to face with a taboo that has troubled the national psyche
for the past 50 years.
     Was Austria liberated or was it occupied in April 1945, when
Soviet soldiers took control of Vienna from the German and Austrian
Nazi SS?
     For more than 45 years after the war, Austria presented itself as
the first victim of Adolf Hitler's Nazi aggression, buckling when
German troops marched into Vienna in the 1938 Anschluss.
     Germany has apologised repeatedly for the war, but officialdom
here washed its hands of wartime atrocities committed on Austrian
territory.
     Yet many of the men who ran the industrialised murder of the
Jews, including Ernst Kaltenbrunner and Alois Brunner, were Austrian,
as were many concentration camp commandants.
     "It's as if the nation is suffering from a collective lapse of
memory," said Vienna historian Florian Freund.
     "Virtually nobody wants to recognise that Austria was implicated
in mass extermination."
     It was only in 1993 that an Austrian leader explicitly admitted
that his country was also a servant of Nazism.
     Some historians and political analysts say Austria's reluctance
to come to terms with its past as a willing member of the Third Reich
has a direct bearing on a resurgence of rightwing extremism and the
ability of the far right Freedom Party to capture nearly a quarter of
the vote in last October's general election.
     "The resurgence of the neo-Nazis is a symptom of not coming to
terms with the past," said Willi Lasek of the Centre for Contemporary
History. "There are, of course, other factors such as
unemployment...but the past cannot be separated from it."
     Neo-Nazi activists carried out a letter bomb campaign in December
1993 and another last October. A neo-Nazi group said it was
responsible for a bomb which exploded in southeast Austria on February
5, killing four gypsies -- the worst single act of racist violence
since World War Two.
     "It's frightening that 50 years after the end of the war, extreme
nationalist subversive activities can still sow fear and terror in the
country," said Erwin Budicek, a member of the young Social Democrats.
     Instead of atoning for the misdeeds of their compatriots as in
Germany, postwar Austrian leaders broke clean with the past,
immediately introducing laws outlawing national socialism.
     They rarely mentioned that most of the country backed
Austrian-born Adolf Hitler and gave the local-boy-made-good a hero's
welcome when he addressed more than a million Viennese in the central
Heldenplatz in 1938. No air time was given to Austria's complicity in
the extermination of Jews.
     Historians say it was more a wave of voluntary assimilation
rather than collaboration, making Austria's wartime record different
from that of Nazi sympathisers in the rest of Europe.
     Lasek said the Allies failed to bring to book some of Austria's
600,000 Nazis, many of whom assumed key positions in society, in the
justice system and police, after the war.
     "Former Nazis were once again socially accepted because of their
jobs," he said.
     Chancellor Franz Vranitzky admitted Austria's guilt on a visit to
Israel in June 1993 and begged the forgiveness of victims of the
Holocaust.
     "Just as we claim credit for our good deeds we must beg
forgiveness for the evil ones, the forgiveness of those who survived
and the forgiveness of the descendants of those who perished,"
Vranitzky said in a speech in Jerusalem.
     "We share moral responsibility because many Austrians welcomed
the Anschluss, supported the Nazi regime and helped it to function,"
he said.
     A year later, President Thomas Klestil, the first Austrian head
of state to visit Israel, told the Knesset his country had failed in
the past to acknowledge its role in the Nazi Holocaust or do enough to
help Jewish survivors.
     "Both speeches were extremely important...but they came too
late," said Vienna University doctor of history Gustav Spann.
     Some commentators say that because Austria ignored the past for
nearly half a century, it could take another generation for
Vranitzky's words to seep into the national psyche, if ever.
     Historian Freund has launched a huge project to compile the names
of all the Jews who lived in the country before 1938.
     No official list of names exists in Austria of the 190,000
Austrian Jews who fled the country or were rounded up and sent to
death camps. Nor is there a memorial to the Jewish victims of the
Holocaust.
     Postwar Austria was also marked by 10 years of Allied occupation.
The Soviet Union left the country in 1955, with U.S., British and
French troops, only when Austria agreed to enshrine neutrality in its
constitution.
     With the Kremlin looking over its shoulder, Austria became
sidelined in European affairs, a position that was only really broken
with the collapse of the Soviet communist bloc and Vienna's entry into
the European Union in January this year.
     Austria's aversion to outside interference was clear in 1986,
when the country elected as president former U.N. secretary-general
Kurt Waldheim, despite the international outcry over charges that he
covered up his wartime past with Hitler's army in the Balkans.
     Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal said the World Jewish Congress (WJC)
campaign against Waldheim ensured his victory.
     "Waldheim got 100,000 votes more than he expected in the
presidential election. But they were not votes for Waldheim, they were
against the WJC," he said in an interview.
     Analyst Oliver Rathkolb said the future looked rosier because the
majority of the younger Austrians held strong anti-Nazi views, but one
imponderable was the rise of the far right Fredom Party led by the
charismatic Joerg Haider.
     Haider, whose party took nearly one in four votes and became the
biggest far right parliamentary grouping in Europe in October's
election, drew support from young working class voters and is
beginning to attract professionals.
     Rathkolb said there was a danger that once Haider won control of
a power centre such as Vienna in 1996 elections, his party would
attempt to rewrite history.
     "Austria has not yet come to terms with its past though we seem
to be getting there. One turning point will be the elections in Vienna
in 1996," he said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 18:25:24 +0100
From:    Emmanuel Gustin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: more on "Glacier Girl" P-38F

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Steve New wrote:

> I'll be glad to scan them (as soon as I convince Dennis to send me a
> set).  As for FTP, I'm pretty sure that BYRD would accept them, but I'd
> have to check with them first.

Dennis sent me a number of these P-38 pictures some time ago. I have
access to a scanner, and I wil try to scan some and to put them on
byrd.mu.wvnet.edu and http://www.vestnett.no/vulcan/ in the next days. I
hope that there are no copyright problems?

Emmanuel Gustin

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 10:07:11 -0800
From:    Sidney Allinson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Britain and V-J Day

                BRITAIN'S V-E DAY CELEBRATIONS

(quoting from '1995 Historic Events In Britain'0

        "This year marks the 50th anniversary of the end of the Second World
War, and London's Imperial War Museum plans a series of special events. May 8
is "Victory In Europe Day" (V-E Day), but the Victory Festival will run from
March 17 - August 28, including exhibitions, talks, films, music, and special
shows.
        The exhibitions are: "London At War", March 17-November 27, with
recreations of wartime scenes in the capital, and film, photographic, and
personal recollections.
        The "Channel Islands Occupation & Liberation", April 9 - September,
focusses on the only part of the British Isles to be occupied by the
Germans.
        "Victory In The Far East", August, highlights the plight of
prisoners of the japanese, and celebrates the war's end."

Sidney Allinson.

--

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 13:10:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Media: Most combat-decorated soldier buried

 >Army pallbearers carried the casket of Lt. Col. Matt Urban during funeral
 >services at Arlington Nation Cemetary yesterday. Urban, 75, a World War
 >II veteran known as the most combat-decorated soldier in U.S. history,
 >died last week of complications from a colapsed lung. he was awarded 29
 >medals for bravery and received the Purple Heart 7 times.
 >
 >God Speed,...
 >
 >Alan Wild, Sr. Prog/Analyst

Alan,

The papers in the NYC metro area said that Urban and Audie Murphy
each had the same number of medals, 29 including the MOH.

Jack McKillop

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 14:09:49 -0500
From:    "Roger D. Corrie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: INFO: Marianas

I am doing research for a WWW homepage for my fathers ship the USS Evanas
DD-552. Below is a paragraph taken from Dictionary of American Naval
Fighting Ships, the task forces information in parentheses is from  Samuel
Eliot Morison's History of United States Naval Operations in WWII Vol VIII.
I have a couple of questions for the readers.

1. Task Force 50.17 Fueling Group, is there any material that covers this
task force during 3 Jun - Aug 44?

2. Are there any maps online for this area of the pacific?

Evans reached Majuro March 29th 1944 from Pearl Harbor and the east coast,
and after escorting Cimarron (AO-22) to a midocean fueling rendezvous,
conducted independent antisubmarine patrols around Japanese-held atolls in
the Marshalls until 13th of May.  After training in the Hawaiian Islands,
she departed Pearl Harbor on the 3rd of June to screen the fueling and
aircraft replacement group (Task Force 50.17 Fueling Group) supporting both
the fast carrier task force and the carrier escort force (Task Force 52
Northern Attack Force) during the assault and capture of Saipan which began
on the 15th of June.  She continued to screen this fueling group through the
summer as the Marianas were won, returning to Eniwetok to replenish from
time to time.

Thanks in advance.
CPORog (Roger D. Corrie)            CAG Devil 00 is down I need 5!!!
[email-masked]
http://www.infi.net:80/~cporog/     Is that 5 maintenance min. or 5 real min?
804-427-2200

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 13:19:12 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Re2: THOUGHTS: Germany and guilt

Hello, Alex!

 In the end, the information which you
> have so kindly provided seems to support my opinion that the Allies
> railroaded Doenitz.

    No question about it!!

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 13:22:24 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: More on Bong

Hello, Chris!

This has probably been answered but a good wingman will protect his
leader at all times. Hotshotting it off on your own may often as not
cause you to get nailed, particularly if inexperienced.

Hope this helps.

Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 14:47:01 -0400
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Japan bibliography

        I guess having talked so much on Japan I owe the list a look at some of
the sources for all that hot air.  But first, a couple more footnotes.
        An interesting offshoot of the Aleutians campaign was the capture there
of an intact Zero which had made a forced landing.  The plane was taken back to
the States for a thorough evaluation, and what was learned was applied directly
to the design of the Grumman Hellcat fighter, which was specifically designed
to defeat the Japanese aircraft.
        Speaking of Zeros, Grummans, and the incident in which Butch O'Hare
lost his life, Saburo Sakai, the Japanese Navy ace to whose writings I have
often referred, lost an eye (and nearly his life as well) in a case of mistaken
identity involving the Grumman TBF "Avenger" torpedo bomber.  Over Guadalcanal,
Sakai moved in to attack a formation of planes he identified as Grumman
fighters.  They were Grummans, but not Wildcat fighters.  They were the new
Avenger attack planes.  Sakai was sure he had surprise on his side, because as
he approached the formation closed up (fighters seeing an enemy approach from
the rear would usually scatter in a pre-determined "break," the formation
generally splitting off into two groups which broke away in opposite
directions).  Only when Sakai had closed to within point-blank range did he
discover that these were not fighters but bombers, each mounting two
.50-calibre machineguns covering the tail above and below.  Caught in a vicious
short-range crossfire from a dozen machineguns, he reportedly managed to flame
two of the Avengers before blacking out.  Sakai, blind in one eye, half his
body temporarily paralyzed from bullet fragments in his head and body,
recovered conciousness before crashing and miraculously managed to guide his
shot-up Zero home to Rabaul.  He staggered into the ready room and made his
report on the mission before passing out.
        Finally, having spoken of Admiral Raizo Tanaka so often, I should say
that he was appointed to command the transport operations to Guadalcanal in the
first week of November 1942, as part of the large-scale naval effort to
reinforce the island.  This was the beginning of the famed "Tokyo Express," as
Tanaka's destroyers completed 70 trips to the island carrying troops and
supplies before the month was out.  I have earlier cited the naval support of
Guadalcanal in early November as a relatively rare example of harmonious
cooperation between the services, however, even this was only acheived after a
good bit of initial controversy.  The Navy did not want to run large transports
into Guadalcanal (as the Americans were doing), arguing-- correctly, as it
turned out-- that they would not be able to protect such large, slow vessels.
General Hyakutake, commander of 17th Army in the Solomons, insisted on using
transports because he felt he needed another full division, and especially 17th
Army's heavy artillery, in order to secure the island.  Hyakutake threatened
that if the Navy refused to help he would still try to send troop transports
in, and lead them himself in the first ship.  Lt-Col Tsuji, often an instigator
and a man who frequently got his way through intimidation and belligerent
behavior, in this case played the role of a mediator, and personally explained
the Army's position to Admiral Yamamoto.  When Yamamoto agreed, and, with tears
in his eyes, begged Tsuji to persuade Hyakutake to himself go to the island on
a destroyer, which was safer, because his command abilities would be needed,
Tsuji recorded that he was so moved he impulsively wished he could die under
the Admiral's command.  BTW, its this sort of thing that bothers me about
Tsuji.  One has to be a little cynical about such statements and the sincerity
of the sentiments behind them, since Tsuji had plenty of opportunities to die
as an example if he so chose.  Instead, he sneaked back home disguised as a
monk after the war, while Homma, who tried to countermand some of the actions
Tsuji instigated in the Phillipines, bore the responsibility for those actions
and paid with his life.  This is not to deny Tsuji's personal courage as a
soldier-- in Malaya, even though he had a staff job as 25th Army's chief of
operations, he spent a lot of time at the front, often with the spearhead
battalions, and got close enough to the action that in one engagement he was
wounded slightly in the buttocks and upper leg by British shrapnel.  But one
has to wonder about the moral courage of such a man.  Another complex
individual.
        Well, enough already.  Here's the bibliography (with a few omissions
probable-- I've given too many examples of short-term memory loss in the last
week).

Saburo Hayashi, "Kogun"
Masonobu Tsuji, "Singapore"
Saburo Sakai, "Samurai"
Masonori Ito, "The End of the Imperial Japanese Navy"
Richard Gage (ed) "Peace Is Our Duty"
Saburo Ienaga, "The Pacific War 1931-1945"
Mitsoru Yoshida, "Requiem For Battleship Yamato"
William Slim, "Defeat Into Victory"
Joseph Stilwell, "The Stilwell Papers"
William Manchester, "Goodbye Darkness"
William Manchester, "American Caesar"
Barbara Tuchman, "Stilwell and the American Experience In China"
Edgar Snow, "Red Star Over China"
Theodore White, "In Search Of History"
Gordon Prange, "Target Tokyo"
John Toland, "Rising Sun"
Ronald Spector, "Eagle Against the Sun"
Lin Piao, "Long Live The Victory of People's War! In Commemoration of the 20th
        Anniversary of Victory in the Chinese People's War of Resistance
        Against Japan." (nice title; short, dry book)
Rius, "Mao For Beginners"
Albert Swinson, "The Fall of Singapore"
Cordell Hull, "Diaries"
Samuel Elliot Morison, v.14 "The Pacific War Won" (other volumes, for example
        the ones dealing with Biak and Peleliu, skimmed for references)
D.C. Horton, "New Georgia"
Ed Berry (ed), "Semper Fi, Mac"
John Vader, "New Guinea"
Graeme Kent, "Guadalcanal: Island Ordeal"
Basil Liddel Hart, "History of the Second World War"
Peter Young (ed), "The World Almanac Book Of World War II"
Benis Frank, "Okinawa: Touchstone to Victory"
A.J. Barker, "Suicide Weapon"
William Gunston, "Encyclopedia of Combat Aircraft of World War II"
Angelucci and Matriccardi, "World War II Airplanes"
Ray Tolliver, "Fighter Aces"
Anthony Mollo, "Armed Forces of World War II"
Ian Hogg, "Encyclopedia of Infantry Weapons of World War II" (or similar title)
John Weeks, "Infantry Weapons"
WHB Smith, "Small Arms of the World"
Chamberlain and Ellis, "Tanks of the World 1918-45"
Richard O'Kane, "Wahoo"
John Ray Skates, "Invasion of Japan: Alternative to the Bomb"
Charles MacDonald, "Airborne"
Ian Hogg, "Barrage: The Guns In Action"

Like I said, I'm sure there's more, these are the ones that occur to me off the
top of my head.  Also usefull for background, if not directly contributing to
these posts, were the following:

William Halsey, "Admiral Halsey's Story"
Winston Churchill, "The Second World War" (6 volumes)
Stephen Roskill, "The War At Sea"
Lewis Brereton, "Diaries"
Holland Smith, "Coral and Brass"

and, for a good look at life aboard ship in the Pacific in the US Navy,

James Fahey, "Pacific War Diary"
Douglas Leach, "Now Hear This"

Oh yeah, though I'm almost ashamed to mention it, I got one or two details
about Satoshi Anabuki from Lawrence Cortesi, "The Deadly Skies"-- one of the
worst-written books I've ever read that actually got published (count the
number of times a plane gets shot down by "chattering machine gun fire" or
"whooshing 20-mm rounds"-- hey,
Lawrence, at 12 to 20 rounds per second the average aircraft mg of WW2 didn't
"chatter," it ripped.  Also, you think I made a few factual boo-boos lately,
this guy's getting books published like the one about North Africa where he
populates the skies with P-38's mounting 37-mm guns and P-47's with 20-mm's)
but he did apparently consult some first-hand sources.

Regards

Mike Yaklich
tell he used

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 14:51:27 EST
From:    "SGM Robert S. Rush" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Postmortem on Japan posts

Mike,
I heartily second Jim's congrats.  I learned more from your posts
(to include a good bib) about the Chinese and Japanese during
WWII than I had even hoped to learn in the next five years.
Thanks for the enlightenment.  Job well done.
:)
Rob Rush

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:17:19 -0400
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Japan bibliography

        I knew as soon as I got up from the keyboard I'd think of a couple more
books I used:

Curtiss LeMay, "Superfortress"
William Belote, "Corregidor: Saga of a Fortress"
Gregory Boyington, "Baa Baa Black Sheep"
there was also a semi-official history of the 5th Air Force but I just can't
remember the name-- I did take copious notes many years ago, though.  Same for
a British history which mentioned a lot about the air war over Malaya,
Singapore, and Indonesia.  In my foolish youth I didn't realize how important
it was to reference one's sources-- just having the info was enough.

Didn't use specifically, but good reading on the air war (first person)

Ted Lawson, "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo"
Daniel Lopez, "Into the Teeth of the Tiger"
Robert Scott, "God Is My Copilot"

Regards

Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:42:57 -0500
From:    "John E. Kollar" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: VJ Day

Ray,

Well, first the comment on WWI/WWII, it was not exactly the Versailles
treaty that started WWII, it helped add to the tensions, but WWII happened
when people allowed Hitler to unilaterally disgard the Versailles Treaty,
which Europe then agreed to, and then appeasing hitler because of a feeling
of Guilt that they had because of what they did in WWI.  So 'punishing'
a nation did not really cause WWII, it was letting them out of the corner
and then giving them a loolipop while letting them believe that they
never deserved to be put in the corner in the first place, which is exactly
what is happening now, Japan saying that it did not deserve to be the
Villan for WWII/Pac, next will be people saying that they could have won
if we didn't use the Abomb, which will probably happen in 5 years (anyone
want to lay a bet on it?)

4th of July is a national holiday, VJ day is not, so it should actually
offend the British more than VJ day offends the Japanese, but the British
have accepted it, and currently even attend the festivities in the
spirit in which they are given.

I would rather have all sides in the war at the ceremonial functions, but
it seems that the Japanese government refuses to be invited to any of them,
while at least the rest of us are willing to live and let live, while
still remembering the past, I think that the Japanese should do a little
more understanding of their own, especially when they say that the
Russians and Americans commited more atrocities than they did, and that
they refuse to appologize to even fellow Asians for the war they fought,
and still maintain that it was an anti-imperialistic struggle, whichj
is pure BS, just ask a Korean, Manchukuoian(?), China, Phillipenes, the
list goes on.....

John E. Kollar

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:45:15 -0500
From:    "John E. Kollar" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: VJ Day

Ray, (re flag)

I would wheigh the reasons for keeping the symbol and the reason
of the cause, ie how important, because symbols are very important
in our society.

John E. Kollar

but not for this one, maybe they can change the meatball?

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 16:22:03 -0400
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Japan biblio

        A couple more good ones I forgot:

Fuchida and Okumiye, "Midway"
James Sadkovich (ed), "Reevaluating The Major Naval Combatants of World War II"

also, that should have been Cordell Hull, "Memoirs" (not "Diaries")

        Finally, there were two other important sources:
        My class notes for a course here at Pitt, "World War 2 In the Pacific,"
taught by Dr. Richard Smethurst, and, last but certainly not least,
"[email-masked]"-- so thanks to all the other contributors for
those little bits and pieces I picked up right here along the way.

        I should also mention a few personal histories picked up informally
which helped me get a better picture of what the war in the Pacific looked like
to the average Joe.  Like Joe Haller, my barber when I was a kid, who was a
Marine on Okinawa and liked to tell war stories, or another ex-Marine named
Elmer Frankhauser who was on Okinawa and a few other islands (including Iwo, if
I remember correctly), or Paul Perrini, a sailor on the Missouri and our local
police chief, etc...

        Regards

        Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 16:33:33 -0400
From:    Mike Yaklich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Japan biblio

        One last source I can't ignore because it was very useful in describing
the period of "gekokujo;"

Hugh Byas, "Government By Assassination"

        Regards

        Mike Yaklich

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 16:43:00 CST
From:    Alex Bielakowski <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re2: endlossung/Germans or Nazis?

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Kelvin Luther wrote:
        I was not commenting on their contribution to the Axis cause but
answering the idea that the Poles were somehow being singled out for
their contribution to the holocaust.  As for giving military aid I would
be interested in knowing what kind of contribution Bulgaria made to the
war effort if anyone out there knows of a source please let me know.  I
feel safe in saying that their contribution to the war effort is a
roundabout way of assigning guilt for the holocaust (as mentioned above
France's contribution was large both militarily as well as direct
contributions to the holocaust).  Militarily many more German soldiers
were free to man camps and round up Jews because they didn't have to
occupy collaborationist Vichy France to the same extent they would occupy
any other conquered area.  I was also trying to point out that the simple
fact that many other people died in the camps besides Jews does not mean
the rest of the people from their group didn't contribute.  If thousands
of Catholics died it doesn't mean Catholics didn't contribute to the
roundups.  They were not interned because they were Catholics but because
they either had a Jewish relative, inlaw, or had tried to protect people
from the camps.  Much has also been written about how the Germans
considered just about everything and everyone they disagreed with to be
Jewish and degenerate.  Rest assured that anyone in the camps had somehow
been placed in this category.
        I also want to come to Bulgaria's defense a little.  They were
surrounded by hostile countries and made the decision to ally with the
obvious holder of power in their region against the Russians.  Because of
this they managed to maintain some semblance of autonomy and saved their
Jewish population (I am not implying that saving the Jews was their
motivation only the outcome of their retaining power).  The Danes managed
to save their Jewish population because they too had some autonomy after
the Germans invaded (I believe they then lost their control over their
gov't).  Finally the Finns also managed to deny the Germans the right to
export their Jewish population to the camps.  Again, a country forced to
ally itself to the Germans because of the Russians.  We can sit back and
say the Russians were our allies but this was only out of convenience to
them.  They cooperated with Hitler and later Japan in their aggressive
expansionist policies.  Would Hitler have invaded Poland when he did if
Russia hadn't colluded with him to divide it?  I for one resent Russia's
actions far more than Finland's or Bulgaria's regardless of their later
being thrown into the allied arena by a German invasion.

Kelvin,
     Firstly, I did not mean to insult the Bulgarians or to claim that
they were no better than the Germans in their conduct during the war.
I wished to point out that if the Poles, who fought the Germans and
Russians and who did not "officially" collaborate (I don't want to start
that arguement again) can be accused of playing a part in the Holocaust,
then nobody else in Europe can claim to be innocent on that issue
either.  I realize that the Bulgarians, like the Finns, were forced to
ally themselves with the Germans in order to protect themselves from
the Russians.  I also agree that the Russians were only considered the
ally of the Western powers, because the West needed the Russians.
The Allied nations of Eastern Europe, however, never considerd the
Russians their ally.  I can understand your having greater resentment
toward the Russians than the Finns or Bulgarians.  After all, both the
Finns and Bulgarians had the choice of being allied with the world's
greatest mass-murderer (Stalin) or the world's second greatest mass-
murderer (Hitler).  It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Alex Bielakowski

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 17:09:27 -0600
From:    BALAM V JORGE R <[email-masked]>
Subject: KAMIKAZES AIRCRAFTS

        Does anybody know which aircrafts were chosen for the Kamikazes pilots?
        Is there a source where I can find how many Kamikazes were in the WWII?,
Which target they preferred?, A diary of their missions etc?....
                        Thanks
                JORGE BALAM "BALITA"

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 18:04:00 EST
From:    Henry Sirotin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Accuracy and  "Victory at Sea"  (was- Re: Battle of the Bulge)

Noticed a second battleship "rollover" shot in Victory at Sea's
episode on the RN-RIN actions in the Med. In this one, the ship
rolls on beam end and then blows up- it looks like boilers,
then magazines- with much of the crew, God help them, clinging
to the quarter-turned hull. Does anyone know what ship this is?

Henry Sirotin

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 19:06:56 EST
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 10-MAR-1945

On 10-MAR-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - In the Canadian 1st Army sector, Operation Veritable comes
to an end with the capture of the region between the Rhine and Moselle.
Operation Blockbuster also comes to an end. In the U.S. 1st Army sector,
the 9th Division expands its bridgehead over the Rhine at Remagen, while
the Germans continue their efforts to destroy the bridge. In the 3rd Army
sector, the 4th Armoured Division completes occupying the area west of the
Rhine between Andernach and Koblenz and north of the Moselle between
Koblenz and Cochem. The 10th Armoured Division reaches its objectives in
the Wittlich area and begins advancing towards the Moselle.

Philippines - In the XIV Corps area, an intense air and artillery
bombardment of the Shimbu line takes a heavy toll on the Japanese forces
forming for a major effort against the 6th Division. In the 8th Army
sector, the Romblon and Simara attack forces sail from Mindoro. On
Mindanao, the 41st division lands on the Zamboanga Peninsula virtually
unopposed.

Iwo Jima - On the right flank of the VAC, the 4th Marine Division continues
southeast toward the coast against decreasing resistance. The 5th Marine
Division is being held up on the left flank by rugged and well defended
terrain.

Burma - The British 36th Division takes Mongmit.

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           | [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 | http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 18:38:00 CST
From:    Alex Bielakowski <[email-masked]>
Subject: Generals

I was just reading a post on Milhst-L in which the author was attempting
to ask everyone who they thought the greatest general in history was.
Several people, including myself, wrote to say that that was a rather
open-ended question, which covered too much ground and was difficult to
answer.  This question did make me wonder something in relationship to
WWII.  Rather than being concerned with the best or worst generals, I
would be interested to see what WWII generals the members of this list
think are the most under-rated.  If this particular discussion has taken
place in the past, would someone please let me know where in the
archieves I should look.  If this discussion has not taken place before
then I would like to begin my casting my vote for Lt. Gen. Wladyslaw
Anders, the commander of the Polish II Corps in the Italian Campaign.
Anders managed to convert a half-starved group of Polish P.O.W.'s
into a skilled fighting force which managed to capture Monte Cassino
which the others Allies (including the Brits, Canadians, Indians, and
Americans) had failed.

Alex Bielakowski

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 20:35:29 -0500
From:    Joseph Feld <[email-masked]>
Subject: New User Intro

Since I have been "lurking" about this discussion for several days I
suppose this is a little late for a true intro.  But, truth to tell, being
just an amateur historian I have found myself rather intimidated by the
level of information being passed around this group.  I'm afraid my
contributions to this area will be mainly in the form of questions.

Huge thanks to Mike Yaklich.  Mike, your "Tactical Afterthoughts on Japan"
and other posts have been both entertaining and educational.

Well, I suppose I should ask my first question.  Does anyone know exactly
when in 1945 the Soviet Union offically entered the war in the Pacific?
And, why did it take them so long to declare war against Japan?

Thanks to everyone in this group for some fascinating reading.

Joseph Feld
[email-masked]
Ferndale, MI

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 9 Mar 1995 20:50:00 EST
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 10 MAR 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
SATURDAY, 10 MARCH 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-26, Douglas Invader
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  B-29, Boeing Superfortress
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-40, Curtiss
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  Spitfire, Vickers Supermarine

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): In the Kurile Islands, 5 B-24s radar-bomb
targets at Kataoka on Shimushu Island, and Suribachi and Kakumabetsu on
Paramushiru Island with unobserved results; 1 fighter is sighted but no
attack is made; 2 other B-24s on this mission abort due to weather and
mechanical trouble. B-25 missions to the Hayakegawa River and Paramushiru are
also cancelled due to weather.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 32 B-24s blast the railroad yards at
Tsanghsien and Tehsien; 10 B-24s and 4 P-40s attack Siangtan and nearby
targets of opportunity; 60+ fighter-bombers hit river, road, and railroad
targets, gun positions, warehouses, airstrips, and troops around Sinyang,
Yiyang, Changsha, Kiyang, Yoyang, Hengyang, Hankow, and Wuchang.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): Mission 43: In the Malayan States, 24 of 29
B-29s bomb the marshalling yard at Kuala Lumpur; 1 of the B-29s drops over
half of its bombs at Alor Star Airfield and another attacks a freighter in
the channel leading to Port Swettenham. 3 others attack Khao Huakhang,
Thailand.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): 13 P-47s support forces of the
British 36 Division in the Mogok area; 46 P-47s and P-38s sweep the roads S
of the bomb line; 49 others hit supply areas behind the enemy lines, attack a
bivouac near Nam-yang, and bomb a truck park N of Mong Yai. 537 air supply
sorties are flown to forward areas.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 3 missions are flown.
  Mission 877: 1,374 bombers and 670 fighters attack rail targets in
Germany by PFF methods; they claim 2-0-1 Luftwaffe aircraft; 2 P-51s are
lost:
  1. 376 B-24s are dispatched to hit the rail viaducts at Arnsberg (115)
and Bielefeld (114) and the marshalling yard at Paderborn; 10 hit the
secondary target, the marshalling yard at Bielefeld; 1 B-24 is damaged. The
escort is 146 of 155 P-51s.
  2. 526 B-17s are sent to hit the Sud (109), Erfeld (111) and Eving (153)
marshalling yards at Dortmund and the Soest marshalling yard (138); 3 other
B-17s fly a scouting mission; 1 B-17 is damaged beyond repair and 44 damaged;
2 airmen are WIA. Escorting are 152 of 158 P-51s; 1 is damaged beyond
repair.
  3. 457 B-17s are sent to hit the Sinsen (89) and Coesfeld (38) rail
crossings and the marshalling yards at Schwerte (116) and Hagen (41); 136
hit the secondary, a marshalling yard at Dortmund; 33 others hit Hamm, a
target of opportunity; 26 B-17s are damaged; 1 airman is WIA. 98 of 100
P-51s escort; 2 P-51s are lost.
  4. 12 B-17s fly a screening mission.
  5. 144 P-47s and P-51s fly a freelance support mission for the bombers;
they claim 2-0-1 aircraft in the air.
  6. 72 of 74 P-51s escort Ninth AF bombers on their strikes.
  7. 27 of 28 P-51s fly a scouting mission.
  8. 5 P-51s escort 7 F-5s and 4 Spitfires on a photo reconnaissance
mission over the Ruhr.
  Mission 879: 13 B-24s attack the marshalling yard at Munster during the
night without loss.
  Mission 880: 12 B-24s drop leaflets in France, the Netherlands and
Germany during the night without loss.
  The 857th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 492d Bombardment Group (Heavy)
(attached to 1st Air Division) moves from Harrington to Bassingbourne,
England with B-24s (the 857th begins flying weather reconnaissance missions
today).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): In Germany, 383 A-20s, A-26s and
B-26s strike 5 marshalling yards, a communications center, 2 city areas,
miscellaneous targets in the Koblenz-Braubach area, and a target of
opportunity; Eighth and Ninth AF fighters escort the bombers, attack ground
targets, fly patrols, armed reconnaissance, and provide cover and ground
support over the Remagen bridge area where the US 9th Infantry Division
expands it's bridgehead against fierce opposition, support the 4th Armored
Division in the Koblenz area and the XX Corps in the Saarburg area, and
cooperate with the XVI Corps near Wesel. The 33d Photographic
Reconnaissance Squadron, 363d Tactical Reconnaissance Group, moves from Le
Culot, Belgium to Venlo, the Netherlands with F-5s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Italy, 191 heavy bombers hit
the Verona-Parona di Valpolicella railroad bridge; 1 other bombs the Voghera
marshalling yard. Supply missions to Yugoslavia and reconnaissance operations
continue.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): In Italy, A-20s bomb bridges and
other communications targets in the E Po Valley during the night of 9/10 Mar;
B-25s bomb bridges at Ora, Bozzolo, and San Michele all'Adige, and a railroad
fill at the Ceraino railroad station; fighters and fighter-bombers hit
communications and targets of opportunity at various locations in the E Po
Valley, including several bridges, and numerous ammunition dumps and
vehicles.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 10 B-24s from Guam Island hit Susaki Airfield
on Chichi Jima Island which 9 B-24s again hit during the night of 10/11 Mar
on separate snooper strikes. 23 B-24s from Angaur Island bomb Calarian
Airfield on Mindanao Island.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): Mission 40: During the predawn hours, 279
B-29s, of 325 airborne, blast the Tokyo urban area with incendiaries,
destroying 267,171 buildings, about one-fourth in the city, killing 83,793
and wounding 40,918 people and destroying 15.8 square miles (40.9 square
km); this death total is the highest of any single day's action during the
war, exceeding the deaths caused by the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima; 20
other B-29s bomb alternates and targets of opportunity; 14 B-29s are lost;
the participating B-29s are from the XXI Bomber Command's 73d, 313th, and
314th Bombardment Wings (Very Heavy) based on Guam Island, Tinian Island, and
Saipan Island in the Mariana Islands; the raids are flown at levels ranging
from 4,900 to 9,200 feet (1,494 to 2,804 m).

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: On Mindanao
Island, B-24s and B-25s over the Zamboanga Peninsula area bomb the town of
Zamboanga, Calarian Airfield, Pangasahan, Port Holland, Kulibato Point, and
Sibago Island. On Luzon Island, B-24s bomb the Ipo area and Aparri Airfield;
B-25s and A-20s support guerrillas near San Fernando and bomb Cabugao;
fighter-bombers hit Caballo Island in Manila Bay, bomb the town of Minanga,
hit enemy concentrations at Burgos, near Ft Stotsenburg, in Batangag
Province, and at other locations, and attack Teresa. B-24s bomb Kudat and
Jesselton Airfields in Borneo.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

10/0148Z MAR

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 8 Mar 1995 to 9 Mar 1995
***********************************************