Subject: WWII-L Digest - 4 Apr 1995 to 5 Apr 1995

From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 00:01:54 -0400

There are 49 messages totalling 1784 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. SS Membership (3)
  2. Why Save Iwo for Emergenc
  3. MEDIA:Dachau Freed (2)
  4. INF: USN Chronology 04-05-95
  5. Inf: war movies
  6. Japanese midget subs at Pearl
  7. [INF] USAAF 5 APR 45
  8. Why Save Iwo for Emergencies?
  9. Sinsheim Museum, GE
 10. good books on the Pacific (3)
 11. WWII Movies (6)
 12. World War II Movies (5)
 13. V-J/V-P/V-A Day - My Two Cents
 14. U Boats Offshore - Book question
 15. ADMIN: Vietnam discussions
 16. Hitler's Body (2)
 17. Movies: The Keep
 18. WEAP: Fw-200 Condor and TV-guided bomb
 19. MEDIA:Ernie Pyle Excerpts
 20. Condor Bomber - TV Bomb?
 21. Russia Enters the Pacific
 22. V-E Kansas City
 23. V-E Day Commemoration Kansas City
 24. Kansas City WWII V-E Day Event
 25. MEDIA:Okinawa
 26. Wehrmacht Atrocities -Reply -Reply
 27. World War II Movies -Reply
 28. INF: 50 Years Ago - 05-APR-1945
 29. Save one for Mainz
 30. [INF] USAAF 6 APR 45
 31. MEDIA:Hitler's Body
 32. WEAP: Attack Transports
 33. U Boats Offshore - Book q...
 34. Naval Archives Internet Address?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 00:27:49 -0400
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: SS Membership

Terry Moore wrote:

>My understanding is that membership in the NSDAP was automatic upon
entry into the Waffen-SS, but will check it out.

Hmm. That's somewhat different from requiring it in advance, and it's an inter
esting nuance I hadn't considered. I look forward to hearing what you come up
with. Thanks very much.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 04:18:00 UTC
From:    "Edward S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Why Save Iwo for Emergenc

Eliot K. Friedman asks

  >     Once Iwo had been secured, why didn't _ALL_ B-29 missions originate
  >  from there, shortening the trip (and presumably increasing the bomb
  >  load)?  Was Iwo just too small to accomodate them all?

Area in square miles:    Saipan          47.5
                         Tinian          39.3
                         Guam           200+

                         Iwo              7.5

The larger part of all islands is mountainous except Tinian which is
essentially one plateau.  As I recall, Tinian was home to 900 US aircraft,
mostly B-29s.  In 1945 it was the world's busiest airport.  Iwo's capacity
for large planes was miniscule.  Bomber squadrons on Iwo might have been
counterattacked; Saipan was several times bombed from Iwo in late 1944. (On
August 9, 1945 US carrier planes destroyed about 400 planes in northern
Honshu that were slated for a suicide attack on Saipan and Tinian.)
  At North Field, Tinian, three years ago I drove a car at 90 mph along the
vast coral strip.  An eerie feeling.  It's kept cleared for emergencies but
lies alone and desolate except for two A-bomb markers.  The other Tinian
fields have returned to bush.

Ed Miller  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:34:29 +0200
From:    Cris Whetton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Dachau Freed

>A class in Human Sexuality at URI has been asked by the Prof to research and
>compile a bibliography about the Holacaust. Specific to the question, are there
>any on this list who might know of any books about Hitler's plans for Gypsies,
>homosexuals and others with physical disabilities?
>
>Ralph Fasano  [email-masked]
>
There have been zseveral books published over the last few years, plus
articles in such magazines as 'History Today'. If you can wait until I get
back to the UK at the end of the month, I can give you a fairly good list.
Otherwise, try one of the Holocaust history groups - which will probably be
_much_ quicker.

Cris

Cris Whetton, Ility Engineering Ltd
(As from VTT Manufacturing Technology, Safety Engineering Dept.)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 04:00:09 PST
From:    "Keller, Theron P." <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: USN Chronology 04-05-95

UNITED STATES NAVY CHRONOLOGY
from:
//byrd.mu.wvnet.edu/pub/history/military/wwii/naval_chronology/chr4(4,5).txt

1945
04/05 Thu. United States Naval Advanced Air Base, Iwo Jima,
           Volcano Islands, is established.
           Koiso cabinet in Japan resigns; Admiral Suzuki becomes
           Prime Minister.
            United States naval vessels damaged:
             Battleship NEVADA (BB-36), by coastal defense gun,
              Okinawa area,
              26 d. 13'N., 127 d. 40'E.
             Light minelayer HARRY F. BAUER (DM-26), by aircraft
              torpedo, Okinawa area,
              26 d. 30'N., 127 d. 30'E.
             Seaplane tender (destroyer) THORNTON (AVD-11), by
              collision, Okinawa area,
              24 d. 24'N., 128 d. 58'E.
             Oiler ASHTABULA (AO-51), by collision, Okinawa area,
              25 d. 09'N., 128 d. 47'E.
             Oiler ESCALANTE (AO-70), by collision, Okinawa area,
              25 d. 09'N., 128 d. 47'E.
             Repair ship AGENOR (ARL-3), by collision, Iwo Jima area,
              24 d. 46'N., 141 d. 19'E.
             LST 273, by collision, Okinawa area,
              26 d. 25'N., 127 d. 42'E.
             LST 646, by collision, Iwo Jima area,
              24 d. 46'N., 141 d. 19'E.
             LST 698, by grounding, Okinawa area,
              26 d. 24'N., 127 d. 45'E.
             LST 810, by collision, Okinawa area,
              26 d. 25'N., 127 d. 42'E.
             LST 940, by collision, Okinawa area,
              26 d. 21'N., 127 d. 43'E.
             LST 1000, by collision, Okinawa area,
              26 d. 21'N., 127 d. 44'E.
            Japanese naval vessel sunk:
             Submarine R0-41, by destroyer HUDSON (DD-475),
              Okinawa area,
              26 d. 21'N., 126 d. 30'E.

Information compiled by U.S. Navy Historians.  For more information,
contact the Naval Historical Center at (202) 433-3940.
Archived by: "Larry W. Jewell" <[email-masked]>
Posted by:
Theron P. Keller
Logicon, Inc.
Dahlgren, VA  22448 USA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 4 Apr 1995 22:45:09 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Inf: war movies

I recently found a book titled *War Movies*.  It is a collection of over
500 war movies available on video cassette.  Includes a summary of each
one.  It is published by CineBooks (1989).

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
Cultural Resource Manager
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS       (808) 422-2771  extension 130
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 4 Apr 1995 22:57:02 -1000
From:    Jim Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Japanese midget subs at Pearl

Jon Perkins, look in the lists archives for December 1994, it would have
been around the 7th or 8th for posts about the photo of the midget sub.

****************************************************************************
Jim Adams                       [email-masked]
Cultural Resource Manager
USS Arizona Memorial, NPS       (808) 422-2771  extension 130
1 Arizona Memorial Place
Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 06:57:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 5 APR 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
THURSDAY, 5 APRIL 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-26, Douglas Invader
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  Beaufighter, Bristol
  UC-64, Noorduyn Norseman
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 27 fighter bombers on armed
reconnaissance attack troops, horses, and river, road, and rail traffic at
Son La, French Indochina and Shanhsien and Shihkiachwang, and in the Tehsien
and Loyang-Pinglo area of China.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): In Burma, bad weather cancels
scheduled strikes; transports continue large-scale operations to forward
areas. The 166th Liaison Squadron (Commando), 1st Air Commando Group, moves
from Ondaw to Meiktila, Burma with UC-64s and L-5s.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
  Mission 928: 1,358 bombers and 662 fighters attack marshalling yards,
ordnance depots, armament works and airfields in Germany; they claim 8-0-6
aircraft; 10 bombers and 1 P-51 are lost:
  1. 436 B-17s are dispatched to hit munitions dumps at Ingolstadt (211)
and Grafenwohr (94), and the marshalling yard at Bayreuth (73); targets of
opportunity are Weiden (30) and Nurnberg (1); the attacks are made visually;
1 B-17 is lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 2 damaged; 11 airmen are KIA and
2 WIA. Escorting are 182 of 201 P-51s; they claim 0-0-1 aircraft in the air
and 7-0-3 on the ground.
  2. 397 B-24s are sent to hit the marshalling yard at Plauen (151) and the
munitions dump at Bayreuth (39); targets of opportunity are the munitions
dump at Grafenwohr (1) and munitions plant at Ingolstadt (1); bombing is with
H2X radar; 5 B-24s are lost and 5 damaged; 1 airman is WIA and 44 MIA. 280
P-47s and P-51s escort; they claim 1-0-2 aircraft in the air; 1 P-51 is lost
(pilot MIA).
  3. 521 B-17s are sent to hit the Unterschlauersbach Airfield (59), an
aircraft parts factory (13) and munitions depot (54) at Furth, and the
Nurnberg S marshalling yard (37); 271 bombers hit the Nurnberg Station
marshalling yard, the secondary; bombing is visual; 4 B-17s are lost, 2
damaged beyond repair and 112 damaged; 8 airmen are KIA, 7 WIA and 39 MIA.
The escort is 91 of 104 P-51s.
  4. 4 B-17s fly scouting missions.
  5. 18 P-51s escort 5 F-5s on photo reconnaissance missions over Germany.
  6. 35 P-51s fly a scouting mission.
  Mission 929: 12 B-24s drop leaflets in France, the Netherlands and Germany
during the night.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS
    First Tactical Air Force (Provisional): Unit moves: HQ 27th Fighter Group
and 522d and 524th Fighter Squadrons from Ochey, France to Biblis, Germany
with P-47s; 406th Fighter Squadron, 371st Fighter Group from Metz, France to
Eschborn Airfield, Frankfurt, Germany with P-47s; 417th Night Fighter
Squadron, 64th Fighter Wing [attached to First Tactical AF (Provisional)]
from La Vallon to St Dizier, France with Beaufighters.
    Ninth Air Force: Weather prevents operations by the 9th Bombardment
Division. In Germany, fighters fly patrols, sweeps, and armed reconnaissance,
and support the US 7th Armored Division's attack on the Ruhr pocket SW of
Brilon, the XX Corps' drive E in the Muhlhausen area, the XII Corps' advance
in the Meiningen area, the 2d Armored Division bridgehead astride the Weser
River S of Hameln, the 8th Armored Division (preparing for an assault on
Soest), and the 5th Armored Division near Minden. Units moving: HQ 10th
Photographic Group (Reconnaissance) and the 31st Photographic Reconnaissance
Squadron from Evren Airfield, Trier to Ober Olm, Germany with F-5s; HQ 344th
Bombardment Group (Medium) and the 497th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) from
Cormeilles-en-Vexin, France to Juzaine Airfield, Florennes, Belgium with
B-26s; the 153d Liaison Squadron, IX Tactical Air Command (attached to
Twelfth Army Group) from Bad Godesberg to Marburg, Germany with L-5s; the
167th Liaison Squadron, Ninth AF (attached to Sixth Army Group) from Vittel,
France to Kaiserslautern, Germany with L-5s; the 450th Bombardment Squadron
(Medium), 322d Bombardment Group (Medium), from Tille Airfield, Beauvais,
France to Le Culot, Belgium with B-26s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 457 B-24s and B-17s attack a
railroad bridge at Dravograd, Yugoslavia, marshalling yards and locomotive
depots at Brescia, Alessandria, and Turin, Italy, and the airfield at Udine,
Italy; 96 P-38s dive-bomb the Radovljica, Yugoslavia railroad bridge, 27
P-51s with 13 flying top cover, strafe rail communications in the Munich,
Regensburg, and Passau, Germany, and Linz, Austria areas; 20+ P-38s fly
reconnaissance missions; around 300 fighter sorties are flown to escort
transport, reconnaissance, and bomber missions (including an RAF raid on the
Monfalconei, Italy shipyards).

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): B-25s bomb 5 bridges in N Italy
and Austria, at Steinach, Austria, and Matrei am Brenner, Modena, Salorno,
and San Michele all'Adige, and blast gun positions at La Spezia, Italy; these
attacks follow night raids by A-20s and A-26s on bridges at Lavis, Ala, San
Michele all'Adige, San Ambrogio di Valpolicella, Piazzola sul Brenta,
Cittadella, and Montebello, Italy and other targets; fighters and fighter
bombers devote their largest effort to close support of ground forces,
blasting occupied areas and gun positions in the Massa Lombarda area, and
also attack communications and dumps in the Po Valley.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 18 B-24s from Guam Island hit targets on Eten
and Dublon Islands in Truk Atoll, Caroline Islands. 22 B-24s from Angaur
Island pound a bivouac area at Bunawan, Mindanao Island.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): HQ 315th Bombardment Wing (Very Heavy)
arrives at Northwest Field, Guam Island from the US.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-24s bomb Kowloon
Docks in Hong Kong and a nearby airfield, while other B-24s bomb Kiirun
harbor in Formosa. 180+ sorties in support of ground forces are flown on
Luzon Island. A-20s and patrolling P-61s support troops on Cebu and Negros
Islands. P-38s hit Tarakan Island and Tawau, Borneo. HQ 58th Fighter Group
moves from San Jose, Mindoro Island to Mangaldan, Luzon.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2
WORLD WAR II IN THE NORTH PACIFIC by Kevin D. Hutchinson, 1994,
  ISBN-0-313-29130-6

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

05/1055Z APR

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 07:22:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Why Save Iwo for Emergencies?

 >    Several recent posts described the capture of Iwo Jima as necessary to
 >    provide an emergency landing strip for crippled B-29s unable to reach
 >    their original base (at Tinian, I suppose), as well as to provide a
 >    base for shorter range fighter escort.
 >
 >    Once Iwo had been secured, why didn't _ALL_ B-29 missions originate
 >    from there, shortening the trip (and presumably increasing the bomb
 >    load)?  Was Iwo just too small to accomodate them all?
 >
 >    El

The B-29 raids originated from THREE islands in the Mariana
Islands, i.e., Guam, Saipan and Tinian.  The US had spent a
considerable amount of time in building the airfields plus all the
supporting facilities and even though numerous facilities were
built on Iwo Jima, all B-29s could not fit.  The second part of the
answer is that the USAAF realized that the B-29s could not continue
to operate over Japan unescorted so Iwo Jima and Ie Jima became
bases for P-51 fighters which began escorting the B-29s in Apr 45.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:31:52 CET
From:    "COL Donnell, Doug" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Sinsheim Museum, GE

I missed the original question about the Sinsheim museum, but here's some
additional info.  Mike LaForge was right.  It's on Autobahn 6 between
Heidelberg (the Walldorfer Kreuz) and Heilbronn.  You can't miss it --
easy to see from the Autobahn.  It's open every day of the year (expect,
I think, Christmas and New Year's Day).  Take either Sinsheim exit off
the Autobahn and follow the signs for the town.  Once in town the way
is well marked.  There's almost an entire building devoted to WWII.
Also, there's quite a bit of military hardware on display outside, behind
the building with the WWII exhibition.

Hope this helps.

                           Doug Donnell
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 14:11:10 +0000
From:    Arnaud Bouis <[email-masked]>
Subject: good books on the Pacific

Can anyone recommend any Good book(s) of English language which
provide a solid description of nav/air ops in the Pacific ?
There are plenty of good "general" books describing the overall strategy, but
I am looking for those rare books which focuse on describing operations, with figures, unit names, Orders of Battles, and hard data.
I wonder if anyone attempted to give a comprehensive picture of Jap and U.S. deployment at certain dates in the Pacific, with location of air assets and important ships etc. If not, I would be interested by such a project.

Arnaud.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 07:25:03 -0500
From:    Terrance Lewis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Dachau Freed

On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Ralph Fasano wrote:

> A class in Human Sexuality at URI has been asked by the Prof to research and
> compile a bibliography about the Holacaust. Specific to the question, are there
> any on this list who might know of any books about Hitler's plans for Gypsies,
> homosexuals and others with physical disabilities?
>
> Ralph Fasano  [email-masked]
>

There are so many....  The best place to start (IMO) would be Robert Jay
Lifton's "The Nazi Doctors," which covers a great deal by looking at the
parts of the medical profession most closely associated with the Holocaust.

"T"
[email-masked]
Terrance L. Lewis, PhD
History Department
Southern University at New Orleans

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:12:08 EDT
From:    Mary Hricko <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Movies

Hello everyone,
    FYI, there is a book entitled: WAR MOVIES: A guide to more than
 500 films on videocassette (Editor - James J. Mulay) (Evanston:
 Cinebooks, 1989) which includes bibliographic references on various
 war films. It includes general details about each film etc.

                                                      Mary

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:27:35 -0500
From:    "Mark P. Parillo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: World War II Movies

    I have enjoyed this thread, as I grew up watching all the World War II
movies I could find on Sunday afternoon TV. But I'd like to call attention
to two of my favorites that have not yet been mentioned.

    One is "Since You Went Away," starring Claudia Colbert, Jennifer Jones,
and an adolescent Shirley Temple as a mother and two daughters coping on the
home front while the man of the house has gone to war. It's rather lengthy
(about three hours, I believe) and traces the lives of these people through
one year (1943). It is obviously a wartime production with a clear patriotic
message (not that I object--I'm just trying to put the movie into
perspective) and is naturally rather vague on the war news. It is
particularly enjoyable for the intermittent use of short vignettes filled
with wartime humor over shortages and other problems. These small scenes
(sometimes just voices overhead) occur at the beginning of scenes in public
places before the main characters arrive.

    The other is "Five Fingers," starring James Mason, Michael Rennie, and
Danielle Darrieux. It is a fine old black-and-white thriller about a German
spy in the British Embassy in Ankara, and is based on the memoirs of the
German diplomat who was the spy's main contact. James Mason's character and
performance is unforgettable and enough to carry the film on its own.

     I do not know if either is available on video, but both show up from
time to time on late night TV.

      - Mark Parillo
        Department of History

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:43:32 -0500
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: V-J/V-P/V-A Day - My Two Cents

> As for the V-E and V-J/V-P debate I wish to be somewhat philosophical and
> quote from Shakespeare (off the top of my head) "A rose by any other name
> would still be a rose" (Romeo and Juliet). However after weighing up the
> arguments for and against, and not really being one for political correctness
> I must admit that I think V-J should stick.
>
> I would love to hear your responses.

In the end, it just boils down to historical footnotes.  "VJ Day" (or VP Day)
both require footnotes today.  The trick is which footnote is the one we want
and which sends the right message to today's and future generations?

1) VJ Day needs (and has) a footnote explaining why the Pacific campaign is
   called "Victory over Japan" while VE Day is called "Victory in Europe."
   This footnote obviously explains why the terms are different and the
   opinions of the day.

2) VP Day would require a footnote that explains why, 50 years later, some
   people believed the name needed to be changed in order to protect the
   sensitivities of our once-enemy-now-ally because of current norms.

10, 20, 50, 100, 1000 years from now... Which is the better footnote?

Footnote #1 describes 1945.  Footnote #2 describes 1995.

So even though changing a name doesn't change the historical aspects of what
happened or the recorded history of 1945, it does change how people view it,
research it and see it sometime later in the future and probably forces them
to start asking the wrong "why" questions... Like "Why did we feel it necessary
to change something 50 years later?" rather than "Why is the VJ here and VE
there...?"  Part of history is encouraging you to ask questions to learn more.
Historical "smoothing" blurs those questions.

--
Robert J. Granvin
Southern Minnesota Wing Confederate Air Force

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:30:40 -0600
From:    John Brewer <[email-masked]>
Subject: U Boats Offshore - Book question

        I just finished "U-Boats Offshore" by Edwin Hoyt. In it is a
description of an event involving a yawl that was drafted into patrol
duty, then almost lost at sea after encountering massive seas and weather.
The craft was Coast Guard picket boat  CGR 3070 and she was lost from
December 2 until December 23rd 1942 (I think), drifting dismasted off
the atlantic coast.

        The story is quite gripping, and I was wondering if anyone knew of
any books written about this oddesy, or further information regarding
this occurrance?

        Best
        /john

 John M. Brewer   wb5oau
 [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 11:21:20 -0400
From:    Barone <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADMIN: Vietnam discussions

Daniel Robertson <[email-masked]> writes:
> PS. I believe someone was wondering if Vietnam celebrated V-A day which was
> met with a response along the lines of "America didn't lose". Well I would
> argue (and I am not well-versed in the history of the Vietnam War) that the
> intention of the Western Forces involved was to stop Vietnam falling to the
> communists; something that was not achieved.

        I just want to nip at the bud any discussions on Vietnam.  This
list is for discussing WWII.  While it can be argued that there is linkage
between the two, there are more appropriate mailing lists where any such
topics could be discussed more thoroughly.  Thanks.

--
Joe Barone, WWII-L listowner
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 11:35:41 EDT
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Hitler's Body

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  05-Apr-1995 09:22am EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Re: Hitler's Body

         Just knew Terry would have some good stuff on this subject and
    beat me to spitting it out. 8-)  His mention of preserving Hitler's
    dental work leads me to my tale.
         Most of you know we have the Cornelius Ryan Collection and that
    Ryan wrote _The Last Battle,_ which deals mainly with the capture of
    Berlin by the Soviets.  What Ryan was to reveal in the book was just
    how the Soviets identified Hitler's body - through his mouth.
         From the book, pp. 504-506, first Simon & Schuster edition:

         "A special team of experts found Hitler's body almost immediately,
    buried under a thin layer of earth.  A Russian historian, General B.S.
    Telpuchovskii, felt sure that it was the Fu"hrer.  'The body was badly
    charred,' he said, 'but the head was intact, though the back was
    shattered by a bullet.  The teeth had been dislodged and were lying
    alongside the head.'
         "Then some doubt began to arise.  Other bodies were found in the
    same area and some of them, too, had been burned. 'We found the body of
    a man in uniform whose features resembled Hitler's,' said
    Telpuchovskii, 'but his socks were darned.  We decided that this could
    not be Hitler because we hardly thought that the Fu"hrer of the Reich
    would wear darned socks.  There was also the body of a man was freshly
    killed but not burned.'
         "The matter of the two doubles was further confused when the first
    body was placed alongside the second, and guards and other German
    personnel were asked to identify them.  They either could not or would
    not.  A few days later Colonel General Vasili Sokolovskii ordered a
    dental check to be made of each body.  Fritz Echtmann and Ka"the
    Heusermann, the dental technicians who had worked in the offices of
    Hitler's dentist, Blaschke, were turned up.  Echtmann was taken to
    Finow, near Eberswalde, about twenty-five miles northeast of Berlin.
    He was asked to draw a sketch of Hitler's teeth.  When he was finished,
    his interrogators disappeared into another room with the sketch.  A
    short while later they were back.  'It fits,' Echtmann was told.  Then
    the Russians showed the technician Hitler's entire lower jaw and dental
    bridges.
         "Ka"the Heusermann was picked up on May 7; she immediately
    identified the jaw and bridges.  The work she and Blaschke had
    performed some months ago was easily recognizable.  Ka"the was given a
    bag of food and driven back to Berlin.  Two days later she was picked
    up again and this time taken to the town of Erkner.  In a clearing was
    a row of open graves, the bodies visible in them.  'Identify them,' the
    Russian with her said.  Ka"the immediately recognized the bodies of
    Joseph Goebbles and his children.  'The girls were all still wearing
    flannel nightgowns of a printed material with a design of small roses
    and blue flowers intertwined,' she said.  There was no sign of Magda
    Goebbles.
         "Apparently as a consequence of her identification of Hitler's
    teeth, Ka"the Heusermann spent the next eleven years in a Soviet
    prison, most of the time in solitary confinement.
         "What happened to Hitler's body?  The Russians claim to have
    cremated it just outside Berlin, but they will not say where.  They say
    that they never found Eva Braun's body, that it must have been consumed
    completely by fire, and that any normally identifiable portions must
    have been destroyed or scattered in the furious bombardment of the
    government buildings.
         [Footnote] "It is the author's belief that the Russians were not
    interested in Eva Braun and made no real effort to identify her body.
    The first confirmation by the Soviets that Hitler was dead was made to
    the author and to Professor John Erickson by Marshal Vasili Sokolovskii
    on April 17, 1963, almost eighteen years after the event."

    From the Ryan research files:

         Handwritten notes from interview with Echtmann -

    "One of the reasons we were kept in Russia was because of newspaper
    reports they kept them there because they felt if he was found dentists
    would ['believe' crossed out] confirm and prove.
    "Body wasn't completely burned.  Entire skull was almost intact.  Lower
    jaw with bridge was intact & upper also.  Hitler ['was supposed to'
    crossed out] had an operation. One tooth was bad, bridge had to be cut
    to get it out.
    "Blaschke: now we have to make something new.
    "But new bridge was never made.  Therefore I recognized the bridge when
    Russian produced it.
    "He melted down gold & used it  Eva Braun's bridge.  He also attended
    Goebbles. R asked him if bridge was a fake:
    "E: It could have been an imitation except for operation.
    "Fritsche in Nuremburg revealed that E was prisoner.  They were held
    Karlshorst.  Fritsche went to Nuremburg.
    "Had my lab in Blaschke's office.  May 7 R came into home looking for
    X-Rays.  But they were Obersalzberg.
    "Identified teeth at Finow, near Eberswalde.  60 Kms from Berlin.  But
    asked him to draw sketch.  Then they disappeared into another room to
    compare.  They returned.  Officer said 'It fits.'
    "Then they produced the entire lower jaw with bridge, but upper bridge
    without jaw.
    "Heusemann & I were held for so long because we knew too much. ....
    "9 years in Russia.   7 Years in Moscow.
    "Summer 1954 official hearing to declare Hitler dead in Bavaria. Was
    chief witness.
    "Sentenced to 10 years for 'working for the ??? [Brownshirts?] But let
    off one year.
    "His wife thought as Heusemann had been back in two days he'd be back.
    "R - a Col, a woman interpretor, & a Polish dentist.
    "Then to SCHWANEBECK ? by Buches ? - where hospital bodies Eva Hitler
    etc. were taken apart autopsied.
    "Also showed him Eva's bridge.  Last time he saw Hitler was in 1944.
    "Eva's bridge was made of a kind of plastic (white). ....
    "Plastic bridge was absolutely in perfect condition it was blackened by
    smoke but otherwise OK.   ....
    "One of the incisions had a window crown - this was element of
    identification.  Russians treated him well from start to finish.  I was
    in a cell, but I could make complaints in letter.  I'm often in trouble
    because I say this, but it is true.  I was never mistreated Lubianka in
    Moscow, & Two years Leforto.  Got better food than those living
    outside.  Really a lot of food.
    "After 10 year he was 'tried' got 10 years.
    "Thought I'd never get out - at least as long as Stalin.

    Material from the Heusemann file in next post.

    Doug McCabe
    Archives and Special Collections
    Ohio University
    Athens, OH
    [email-masked]

Received:  05-Apr-1995 11:35am

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 11:13:23 -0500
From:    "William L. Huber - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Movies: The Keep

> Does anyone remember "Castlekeep" , a GI squad lead by a one-eyed Burt
> Lanchaster defends a castle from Germans during Ardennes.
>
> Ozgur Altinyay

That was a real mind bender alright.  What about the horror movie,
"The Keep" where a German Army unit pulls into an old castle guarding
a mountain pass and find it inhabited by one big nasty vampire.  Super
vehicles though.  The book was much different, as usual....

Cheers Bill Huber / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:14:07 CCS
From:    Jorge Merino <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Fw-200 Condor and TV-guided bomb

Hey, that's interesting. I've never heard of it!!
(Terry, do you know anything about this weapon?)
I can only guess that is may have been a modified version of a Henschel
missile, or something like this. And maybe it wasn't really TV guided,
but it may have a camera attached on the nose, to show the trajectory.
(for test purposes, propaganda, etc....??)
Just guessing of course. Terry, you have the last word :-)

Jorge Merino

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:16:00 PDT
From:    Julie Jenkins <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWII Movies

I saw 5 Fingers a year or so ago in a beautiful print at school.  That was an
interesting, sophisticated movie that had the courage to present the logical
conclusions of its premises.  The Darrieux character's relationship w/Mason's
--we don't often get to see real life on the screen.  And since it was shot in
Ankara, the locales were stunning.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:36:46 -0400
From:    Scott C Stathis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: good books on the Pacific

>
> Can anyone recommend any Good book(s) of English language which
> provide a solid description of nav/air ops in the Pacific ?
> There are plenty of good "general" books describing the overall strategy, but
> I am looking for those rare books which focuse on describing operations, with fi
> gures, unit names, Orders of Battles, and hard data.
> I wonder if anyone attempted to give a comprehensive picture of Jap and U.S. dep
> loyment at certain dates in the Pacific, with location of air assets and importa
> nt ships etc. If not, I would be interested by such a project.
>
> Arnaud.
>

   Two good books on the Pacific war are "At Dawn We Slept" and "Miracle
at Midway" both by Gordon Prange. Both books provide much hard data on
these two battles including describtion of operations, figures and unit
names.

Hope this helps

Scott

Self-Proclaimed Midway fanitic.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:08:37 -0400
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Ernie Pyle Excerpts

Regarding Ernie Pyle - would his columns be covered by the copyright laws? I
would love to take some of his old columns, type them up and post them out on
my 50 YA home page. I know normal copyrights are for 25 years renewable. I
wonder if he's were renewed (it would have had to be done twice).

John

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           |                      [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 |            http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:15:14 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Condor Bomber - TV Bomb?

Hello, Ron!

You bet!

> Can anyone verify the existence of such a "smart-bomb" by the Germans in
> WWII?

    Yes. Captain Bernhard Jope's Bombing Squadron 100, had used this
type of missle, called the Fritz X. It was an anti- shipping missle
and could be steered or guided by someone trained to do it from the
mother aircraft.

> Can anyone give a printed reference source for the TV guided bomb?

    German Secret Weapons of WWII by Kenneth Macksey goes into this,
for example.

    There are others, but this one comes to mind.

    All the best.

    Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 14:20:38 EDT
From:    Richard Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWII Movies

Julie Kenkins hit on a good movie with The Train.  I rented it after Burt L.
died, and enjoyed it.  One of my other favorites which isn't in video format is
Five Graves to Cairo w/ von Stroheim.  The key to the movie and the defeat of
the Afrika Korps. is a particular map, and the positioning of the letters that
spell EGYPT.  Hope I didn't ruin it for anyone.

                                Richard Kaplan
                                Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 14:43:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: World War II Movies

 >    I have enjoyed this thread, as I grew up watching all the World War II
 >movies I could find on Sunday afternoon TV. But I'd like to call attention
 >to two of my favorites that have not yet been mentioned.
 >
 >    One is "Since You Went Away," starring Claudia Colbert, Jennifer Jones,
 >and an adolescent Shirley Temple as a mother and two daughters coping on the
 >home front while the man of the house has gone to war. It's rather lengthy
 >(about three hours, I believe) and traces the lives of these people through
 >one year (1943). It is obviously a wartime production with a clear patriotic
 >message (not that I object--I'm just trying to put the movie into
 >perspective) and is naturally rather vague on the war news. It is
 >particularly enjoyable for the intermittent use of short vignettes filled
 >with wartime humor over shortages and other problems. These small scenes
 >(sometimes just voices overhead) occur at the beginning of scenes in public
 >places before the main characters arrive.

According to Leonard Maltin's MOVIE AND VIDEO GUIDE 1994, SINCE YOU
WENT AWAY was released in 1944 and was 172 mintues long (when
released.)  It starred Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, Joseph
Cotten, Shirly Temple, Monty Woolley, Hattie McDaniel, Agnes
Moorehead, Craig Stevens (HEY, Peter Gunn; see how many remember
this!), Keenan Wynn, Nazimova, Robert Walker and Lionel Barrymore.
Maltin gives it a 3.5 stars out of possible 4.0 and says,
"Tear-jerker supreme with Colbert at her valiant best.  Story of
family suffering through WW2 with many tragedies and complications
dates a bit, but still is very smooth film.  Producer David O.
Selznick wrote the screenplay, from Margaret Buell Wilder's book.
Beautifully photographed by Lee Garmes and Stanly Cortez.  Max
Steiner's score won an Oscar. Film debuts of Guy Madison (then an
actual sailor, in the role of sailor Harold Smith) and John Derek
(an extra)."  At one time or another, the film was availabe on
laserdisc and videocassette.

 >    The other is "Five Fingers," starring James Mason, Michael Rennie, and
 >Danielle Darrieux. It is a fine old black-and-white thriller about a German
 >spy in the British Embassy in Ankara, and is based on the memoirs of the
 >German diplomat who was the spy's main contact. James Mason's character and
 >performance is unforgettable and enough to carry the film on its own.

5 FINGERS was released in 1952 and ran 108 minutes.  It starred
James Mason, Danielle Darrieux, Michael Rennie, Walter Hampden,
Oscar Karlweis, Herbert Berghof, John Wengraf and Michael Pate.
Maltin gives it 3 stars out of a possible 4 and says,
"Exceptionally intelligent spy thriller with Mason as a cool
customer selling high-priced secrets right under the noses of his
British government employers during WW2.  Based on a novel that was
purportedly true!  Followed by a short-lived TV series."  As of
1994, the film had never been released on video or laser.

The TV series FIVE FINGERS was on the National Broadcasting Network on
Saturday nights, 9:30 to 10:30 from 3 Oct 59 to 9 Jan 60 starring
David Hedison, Luciana Paluzzi and Paul Burke.  Hedison played an
American counterspy posing as a Communist agent in Europe; his code
name was "Five Fingers."
 >
 >     I do not know if either is available on video, but both show up from
 >time to time on late night TV.
 >
 >      - Mark Parillo
 >        Department of History

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:45:14 -0500
From:    "William L. Huber - SAA" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: SS Membership

Hi everybody,

Here is that membership breakout from the 1 Dec. 1938 (correct date)
SS Dienstaltersliste.  It points out that among the officers in the
pre-war SS, 8.3% were not party members and that included 3 of the
rank of General!  Enjoy - Bill Huber / [email-masked]

            Officer Corps by Grade and Party Membership

                     as of 1 December  1938

Grade      1to100K  100,001to500K  500,001to1.8M  over1.8M  NotParty  total

Obergrupf.    10          7             -             -         -        17
Gruppenf.     26         12            10             1         2        51
Brigadef.     14         16            10             8         1        49
Oberf.        62         69            44            24        16       215
Standartenf.  68        114            82            31        12       307
Oberstmbanf.  72        129           101            54        26       382
Sturmbannf.  151        281           286           136        38       892
Hauptstmf.   284        599           596           255       121      1855
Obersturmf.  440        981          1162           636       230      3449
Untersturmf. 499       1609          2153          1691       698      6650

            1,626     3,817         4,444         2,836     1,144    13,867

            11.7%     27.5%         32.0%         20.5%      8.3%    100.0%

PS- this is from an original Dienstaltersliste that has not been
reprinted since the war.  Ciao, Bill

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 11:50:07 -0700
From:    Jim Benn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: World War II Movies

TNT is showing "The Purple Plain" tonite (Wednesday); WWII Burma is all I
know about it.

Jim Benn

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 14:25:24 -0500
From:    "Robert J. Granvin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Movies

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen THE WAR LOVER mentioned.

Not a particularly stellar piece of work and some of the effects are really
bad (like the obligatory couple falling in love acting in front of a blue
screen because they couldn't really transport them to a real exterior
location :-), but it also has some of the best.

The B-17 flying sequences are quite good, but the best is part of the movie
is the minute or so long "B-17 Buzz Job."  That alone is worth the film.
:-)  The B-17, piloted by an irate guy decides to beat the crap out of the
airfield because they were sent on a (horror!) leaflet mission.

The flying is real as is the B-17, no models used in this sequence.  I've
seen B-17s do "low approaches" but this kinda takes the cake... Plus, I
love the expression (or lack thereof) of the gum-chewing top turret gunner
who just kinda watches along.

The rest of the movie can probably be tossed, but this part is worth keeping.
At least as a clip.

(Yeah, I bought a copy... :-)

--
\\ Robert J. Granvin                                 User Services Specialist
// School of Statistics - University of Minnesota            [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 14:56:04 -0400
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: SS Membership

Ron Charlton wrote:

> please permit me to make a request again for sources of
information about the Ahnenerbe, the ideological and cultural research
organization within the SS.

There is a brief-but-somewhat-gruesome description of this organization in
*The Racial State: Germany 1933-1945* by Michael Burleigh and Wolfgang Wipperm
ann. The Ahnenerbe does appear to be a fascinating topic worthy of some study
though -- one of their charges was to try to scientifically validate the
theory that "'Aryans' had arrived fully-formed from 'heaven,' being preserved
in 'eternal ice' before stalking the earth with superhuman 'electrical
powers.'" The Nazis certainly had no dearth of inventive energy -- too bad
they didn't expend it on something constructive.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 22:51:46 +0400
From:    The Grim Reaper <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: good books on the Pacific

On Wed, 5 Apr 1995, Scott C Stathis wrote:

> >
> > Can anyone recommend any Good book(s) of English language which
> > provide a solid description of nav/air ops in the Pacific ?
> > There are plenty of good "general" books describing the overall strategy, but
> > I am looking for those rare books which focuse on describing operations, with fi
> > gures, unit names, Orders of Battles, and hard data.
> > I wonder if anyone attempted to give a comprehensive picture of Jap and U.S. dep
> > loyment at certain dates in the Pacific, with location of air assets and importa
> > nt ships etc. If not, I would be interested by such a project.
> >
> > Arnaud.
> >
>
>    Two good books on the Pacific war are "At Dawn We Slept" and "Miracle
> at Midway" both by Gordon Prange. Both books provide much hard data on
> these two battles including describtion of operations, figures and unit
> names.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Scott
>
> Self-Proclaimed Midway fanitic.
>

 I would also add Van Der Vat's The Pacific War. And indeed the MIracle
At Midway was an excellent book. (Hawks at Angels 12 !)

      wwwww
    /( 0-0 )\
--oOO--(_)---OOo---------------------------------------------------------------
|  Ozgur "Kilroy"  Altinyay       |                                           |
|E-Mail : [email-masked]    | "It is unfair to shoot tanks with anti-   |
|Address: A5 BLOK/47 Konutkent I  |  aircraft guns !"                         |
|         Ankara 06530 / TURKIA   |  Anonymous British Tank officer after     |
|Phone  :+0312-2402089            |  his capture in Halfaya Pass, Africa 1941 |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 15:11:18 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Russia Enters the Pacific

Hello, Josef!

To answer your question, if someone else hasn't.

> With so little time left in the war, did the Soviet Union actually engage
> in any major action against Japan?  And, how exectly did they come into
> possesion of the Kurile Islands?

    Yes. It was instrumental in destroying the Japanese Kwantung Army.
    The Kuriles were ceded to them after the end of the war.

   Hope this helps.

   Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 15:12:21 GMT-6
From:    "Robert T. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: World War II Movies

Hello, Julie!

Yes, many years ago, on two different occasions.

Terry

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 16:23:27 EDT
From:    Doug McCabe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Hitler's Body

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  05-Apr-1995 04:23pm EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"[email-masked]" )

   From:  Doug McCabe                                Dept:  Library
          MCCABE                                   Tel No:  (614) 593-2715

Subject:  Re: Hitler's Body

    Part II re: Hitler's Body

    From the interview [my editing] of Ka"the Heusemann, dental technician,
    regarding the identification of Hitler's body:

    ....
    "Hitler had three bridges (see her won sketch).  In his upper jaw he
    actually had only eight of his own teeth and even these were backed by
    gold fillings.  A bridge completed his upper dental work and was
    securely held in place by the existing teeth.  One of these teeth - the
    wisdom tooth on the right side - became infected.  Blaschke decided to
    remove it and apparently it was, as Heusemann remembers it was 'an
    extremely difficult job.'  It was necessary to cut first through the
    bridge 'in order not to pull in out altogether' before this tooth could
    be extracted.  ....
    "Thus, the bridge had to be re-anchored.  The operation was a success,
    but it was to cause Heusemann trouble in May 1945 because, remembering
    the operation, she would always be able to identify that bridge. ....
    "On 21st April she moved into the cellars of the Chancellery.  There
    she helped the doctors in the makeshift hospital. 'I did things which I
    wasn't professionally entitled to do.  I gave injections, I helped
    doctors amputate limbs and this went on day and night.  We kept going
    by taking almost continuously Pervitin tablets (a very strong type of
    benzodrine tablet; however, one cannot become an addict on this).
    Everybody was taking these tablets.  We handed them out by the handfuls
    - especially to the soldiers and SS men who were defending the area.
    Nobody slept - they simply kept going on Pervitin.  Everyone was
    half-mad as a result. ....
    [She managed to breakout and get back home.] "Heusemann was now left
    with a dentist's office and no dentist.  She had earlier helped out a
    Jewish dintist named Dr.          He came round to see her.  She
    suggested that as Blaschke was gone that he take over the practice
    until he returned - if ever.  So Bruck moved in and they began work
    again. ....
    "Next door in Blaschke's office her new partner, Bruck, was at work.
    There was a knock on the door and outside stood a Russian major,
    another officer and a Russina woman interpretor.  They asked for
    Blaschke.
    "'He's not here.  I don't know where he is,' said Bruck.
    "The Russians then demanded Hitler's dental records.  Bruck told them
    he knew nothing about them and explained that he had just begun working
    in the office.  Then he said, 'But Blaschke's assistant Frau Heusemann
    might - she's in the doctor's office across the hall.'
    "The Russians left, entered the doctor's office and found Heusemann.
    "'What have I done?' asked Heusemann.
    "'We want Hitler's dental records' she was told.  She told them that
    they were in Berchtesgarden, that everything had been shipped out by
    Dr. Blaschke.
    "Then they told Heusemann she would have to come with them. 'Why?'
    wailed Heusemann, terrified.
    "'Don't worry,' said the interpreter.  'You won't be long anyway.'
    "They left the building and she was driven in a green jeep-like car in
    the direction of Alexanderplatz. 'We drove past the "Alex" and on and
    on until we reached a Russian Headquarters at      " (somewhere near
    Erkner, but still within Berlin city boundaries).  First she was given
    a huge meal.  Then she was called into a room in which there were
    several Soviet officers.  On a desk there lay several objects which
    looked like somebody's dentures.  She was asked if she knew them.  She
    took a closer look and the objects turned out to be an upper jaw bridge
    without the jaw, plus a complete lower jaw with all the teeth and
    bridges.  She was to look at them and if she could identify them.  She
    picked up the upper jaw bridges and instantly recognized them as
    Hitler's dentures since she recognized the operation scars left behind
    by the operation performed on Hitler in Rastenburg in November, 1944.
    She said, 'These are Hitler's teeth.'  The Russians said, 'Are you
    sure?' and she replied, 'I am absolutely sure, there is no doubt.'

    That should be enough of this line of evidence to prove either Hitler
    is really dead (and died in Berlin) or that he is running around minus
    his teeth and lower jaw.  I might add that Ryan was also in contact
    with the CIA while working on _The Last Battle_ (since it included a
    trip to Moscow) and several letters and an interview transcript passed
    between Ryan and Donald "Jamie" Jameson.  That will be in the next
    post.

    Doug McCabe
    [email-masked]

Received:  05-Apr-1995 04:23pm

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:01:00 -0600
From:    George Bauer <[email-masked]>
Subject: V-E Kansas City

I should have said that I live in Kansas City and will be glad
to send any informatin about the Commemoration week-end.
I will also post some information as I rceive it.
Perhaps I will have the opportunity to meet some of you here
that week-end.

[email-masked]

 * RoboBOARD/FX 1.04

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 11:57:00 -0600
From:    George Bauer <[email-masked]>
Subject: V-E Day Commemoration Kansas City

Now that I have seen mention of the V-E day Commemoration in
Kansas City in May, I will soon be posting details of the
activities for that wee-end.

I have been working on the aviation committee, which is involved
in lining up Warbirds for the week-end.  While it is a lot of
work, it is only part of the many activities scheduled for the
week-end.  The current -- and growing list -- shows 26 warbirds
have been lined up,including B-24, B-25, B-17, P-38, P-51,
F4F, P-47, etc...

More soon.

You can also write me directly for details.

[email-masked]
 * RoboBOARD/FX 1.04

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:51:24 -0700
From:    Patrick Charles <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Movies

        Over the weekend, I rented Five Fingers.  It is a great film.
I think it was released on video about a year ago.  I saw it available at a
Blockbuster in Seattle.  I rented it at a Blockbuster in the Philadelphia
area.

Patrick Charles
[email-masked]

Wed, 5 Apr 1995, Julie Jenkins
wrote:

> I saw 5 Fingers a year or so ago in a beautiful print at school.  That was an
> interesting, sophisticated movie that had the courage to present the logical
> conclusions of its premises.  The Darrieux character's relationship w/Mason's
> --we don't often get to see real life on the screen.  And since it was shot in
> Ankara, the locales were stunning.
>

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 16:11:36 CST
From:    "SCHERRER, TIM" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Kansas City WWII V-E Day Event

I will be calling tonight to see if we can;t get the WWII Airman's
Preservation Society involved with the Kansas City event--I spoke with
the Group CO last week and he didn't know anything about it.  If there
is a B-17 there then we can pull our people in--Which B-17 is it??

I will call the Group CO and talk him into it tonight(he was half
convinced the other night).  I will be away from here for a few days due
to the Joint Military Ball from HELL I am doing but will be back not
later than Monday with info.

BTW, which airport?  KC downtown??  TAS

************************************************************************
*  Tim A. Scherrer          "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of   *
*  Facilities Supervisor     your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971            *
*  WP:816-785-5253                                                     *
*  HP:816-665-6704                                                     *
*  ID# [email-masked]                             *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 17:52:34 -0400
From:    James E Irwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: MEDIA:Okinawa

The following is from the Philadelphia Inquirer 1 April 1995.  Reproduced
without permission.  All typos are mine.

        To reach the home of Desmond T. Doss near Rising Fawn GA, you take the
Desmond T. Doss Medal of Honor Highway.  The folks around there are mighty
proud of their neighbor up on Lookout Mountain.
        As a 20-year-old in 1945, the shy, slim Seventh-Day Adventist became
one of the most famous and unusual heroes of World War II.  A strict believer
in the Sixth Commandment(sic) - Thou shalt not kill - he refused to bear
arms.  But he was willing to serve as a medic, one of the most dangerous
jobs the Army had to offer.
        One day on the Pacific island of Okinawa, Pvt. Doss rescued almost a whole
company of men who had been cut down by Japanese fire while trying to
capture an important hilltop.  Crawling out among bullets and shell bursts,
he dragged the wounded, one by one, to a sheltered spot behind a rock,
tied a double-bowline knot around their chests and legs, and lowered them
over a 35-foot cliff to safety.
        "Dear God," he remembers praying over and over, "let me get just one
more."  It took all day, but he got them all.  The Army estimated he had
saved 75 lives.
        It was an amazing story.  But, then, Okinawa was a place FULL of amazing
stories.  The fight that began there 50 years ago today, on April 1, 1945,
turned into the biggest combination land-sea-air battle of all time.
Dragging on for almost three months, it was the last important American
battle before the atom bomb ended the war.
        Okinawa was the place where kamikaze planes inflicted massive damage
on the U.S. fleet, sinking 36 ships and damaging 368 others - where Julian
F. Becton of Wynnewood (PA) led the destroyer USS Laffey in battling 22
suicide planes, five of which crashed into the deck, killing or injuring
one-third of the crew.  "You couldn't stop them, they came so fast,"
Becton, now a retired rear admiral recalls.
        It was the place where a single Marine Corps fighter squadron, later
nicknamed the Death Rattlers, shot down 124 Japanese planes; where Charles
W. Drake of Brookside NJ, a member of that squadron, downed as many as
five of those planes in a dizzying 20 minutes.  "It was," he recalls,
"a wild, wild scramble.

To be continued....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 James E. Irwin (Jim)                  Internet address:
 Defense Personnel Support Center        [email-masked]
 2800 S. 20th Street                   215-737-3678
 Philadelphia PA  19101-8419           Autovon 444-3678

                     "Never in the field of human conflict
                     was so much owed by so many to so few."
                               Winston S. Churchill
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 18:24:20 -0400
From:    "Neil C. Carmichael" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Wehrmacht Atrocities -Reply -Reply

actually it was a book called Hitlers Tuetonic Knights, or something
like that.  It was the first 10 SS division.  but I will look into
the book you mentioned.

Thanks.

Neil Carmichael
National Archives

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 18:28:56 -0400
From:    "Neil C. Carmichael" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: World War II Movies -Reply

How about "Battleground" and "the Devils brigade".

Neil Carmichael

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 18:37:09 EDT
From:    John Davis <[email-masked]>
Subject: INF: 50 Years Ago - 05-APR-1945

On 05-APR-1945, the following occurred -

World War II - The Battlefronts
-------------------------------
Western Front - The Canadian 1st Army finishes liberating the area between
Nijmegen and the lower Rhine. In the British 2nd Army sector, the XII Corps
reinforces the bridgehead over the Dortmund-Ems Canal. The VIII Corps
advances towards the Weser. The XIII Corps is preparing to cross the Weser
near Minden. The XIX Corps reaches the Weser south of Hamelin and sends
some elements across the river. The XVIII Airborne Corps and the U.S. III
Corps are engaged heavily against the Ruhr pocket. In the U.S. 3rd Army
sector, all corps advance from the Kassel-Fulda line towards the east. In
the U.S. 7th Army sector, the XV Corps take Gemunden. The XXI Corps
finishes crossing the Main at Wurzburg.

Eastern Front - Fighting continues on the outskirts of Vienna.

Italian Front - In the U.S. 5th Army sector, the 92nd Division begins an
offensive towards Massa.

Philippines - In the XI Corps area, elements of the 43rd Division advance
along the Bay Lagoon, occupying Lumban. In the XIV Corps area, the 5th
Cavalry links up with the 43rd Division.

Okinawa - The 10th Army is unable to move forward due to heavy Japanese
resistance. Elements of the 6th Marine Division make small progress north
in the area of the Isthmus of Ishikawa.

=============================================================================

Sources: "United States Army in World War II, Chronology 1941-1945" compiled
by Mary H. Williams, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of
the Army, "2194 Days of War" by Cesare Salmaggi and Alfredo Pallavisimi,
"Facts On File Yearbook 1945, Person's Index Of World Events" edited by R.L.
Lapica.

Copyright 1995 by John B Davis, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Previous articles are archived at ftp.webcom.com in directory /pub/jbd/www
and can be accessed via the WWW by URL: http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/ww2.html.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Davis                           |                      [email-masked]
Cary, North Carolina                 |            http://www.webcom.com/~jbd/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 19:20:35 -0400
From:    Laurie Peloquin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Save one for Mainz

> > *do* know from many visits to local museums, and from talking to residents
> > of Mainz and Wiesbaden (where I had an apartment for two years, right
> > across the Rhine from Mainz) that the city was over 80% destroyed by
> > bombing during the war.  This always seemed to me to be an unusually high
> > percentage.

>     Not really. Consider Nuremberg which was 98 percent destroyed.

According to statistics in Webster and Frankland _The Strategic Air
Offensive against Germany 1939-1945_, Volume IV, Mainz was 61% destroyed
by 1945, while Nuremberg was only 51% destroyed.  The city that was
hardest hit was Wuppertal/Elberfield, at 94%.  Considering that it is
located in the Ruhr Valley, where the greatest number of attacks
occurred, this number is not surprising.  Even so, this devastation was
the result of only one mission in June 1943.

Laurie Peloquin
Wilfrid Laurier University
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 19:52:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: [INF] USAAF 6 APR 45

COMBAT CHRONOLOGY OF THE US ARMY AIR FORCES
FRIDAY, 6 APRIL 1945
FTP SITES
  1. ftp.rutgers.edu in directory pub/wwii/usaf
  2. byrd.mu.wvnet.edu (129.71.32.152) in pub/history/military/airforce/
     wwii_chronology

AIRCRAFT MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
  A-20, Douglas Havoc
  A-26, Douglas Invader
  B-17, Boeing Flying Fortress
  B-24, Consolidated Liberator
  B-25, North American Mitchell
  B-26, Martin Marauder
  C-47, Douglas Skytrain
  F-5, Lockheed Lightning
  L-5, Stinson Sentinel
  P-38, Lockheed Lightning
  P-47, Republic Thunderbolt
  P-51, North American Mustang
  P-61, Northrop Black Widow

NOTE: A number in parenthesis after a target name indicates the number of
bombers attacking.

AMERICAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

  ALASKA (Eleventh Air Force): In the Kurile Islands, 8 B-24s attack and
photograph Kurabu on Paramushiru Island, especially the airfield, while 8
B-25s hit radar installations in an all-out attack on Hayakegawa, Kotani
Island, and Minami Cape, dropping napalm-filled incendiaries for the first
time; buildings and shipping in N part of Hayakegawa are hit especially hard;
another B-25 flies weather reconnaissance.

CHINA-BURMA-INDIA THEATER

  CHINA THEATER (Fourteenth Air Force): 3 B-24s hit targets of opportunity in
the Bakli Bay area on Hainan Island and 4 P-38s knock out a bridge in the
Dien Bien Phu area of French Indochina. In China, 8 P-51s blast railroad
targets of opportunity, troops, horses, and boat landings in the Chenghsien
area and along the Lung Hai railroad and Yellow River.

  INDIA-BURMA THEATER (Tenth Air Force): With improving weather conditions
combat strikes in the C Burma battle area increase; 70+ fighter bombers
attack troop concentrations, artillery positions, tanks, trucks, fuel dumps,
and general targets of opportunity along and immediately behind enemy lines;
targets are located in several areas including Paklu, Nawnghkio, Loilem,
Takaw, Mong Hko, Kongleng, Nawnghsan Pu, and Indaw; air supply sorties
continue on a steady basis throughout the day.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (ETO)

  AIRBORNE OPERATIONS (IX Troop Carrier Command): HQ 315th Troop Carrier
Group and the 34th, 309th and 310th Troop Carrier Squadrons move from
Stanhoe, England to Amiens, France with C-47s.

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Mission 930: 659 bombers hit rail
targets in the Leipzig, Germany area using H2X radar; 4 B-17s and 1 P-51 are
lost:
  1. 183 of 207 B-24s hit the marshalling yard at Halle; 22 others hit
Eisleben, a target of opportunity; 3 B-24s are damaged. Escorting are 201
P-47s and P-51s.
  2. 430 of 452 B-17s hit secondary targets, the main station and marshalling
yard at Leipzig (321) and hit Gera (109); 11 others hit the marshalling yard
at Halle; 4 B-17s are lost and 2 damaged beyond repair; 17 airmen are KIA, 1
WIA and 33 MIA. The escort is 392 of 410 P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost (pilot MIA).
  3. 26 of 27 P-51s fly scouting missions.
  4. 11 P-51s escort 5 F-5s on photo reconnaissance missions.
  During the night, 3 B-24s fly CARPETBAGGER missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS
    First Tactical Air Force (Provisional): The 523d Fighter Squadron, 27th
Fighter Group, moves form Ochey Airfield, Toul, France to Biblis, Germany
with P-47s.
    Ninth Air Force: In Germany, 99 B-26s, A-20s and A-26s hit marshalling
yards at Gottingen and Northeim and the city area of Herzberg, and drop
leaflets over 3 city areas; fighters fly escort, alerts, sweeps, and armed
reconnaissance, and support the US VIII Corps in the Eisenach area, and the
XX Corps E of the Werra River near Muhlhausen. Unit moves: 422d Night Fighter
Squadron, IX Tactical Air Command, from Florennes, Belgium to Strassfeld,
Germany with P-61s; 451st Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 322d Bombardment
Group (Medium), from Beauvais Airfield, Tille, France to Le Culot, Belgium
with B-26s.

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

  STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): In Italy, 387 B-17s and B-24s,
with fighter escort, bomb marshalling yard flak positions and an ordnance
depot at Verona and a marshalling yard and small arms plant at Brescia; 179
other bombers sent against targets in N Italy are recalled; 81 P-38s
dispatched to bomb a bridge in Austria abort due to weather; 14 manage to
attack bridges near the Austro-Italian border; 6 P-51s (of 54 airborne)
strafe railroad targets in the Straubing-Plattling, Germany area; others fly
reconnaissance missions.

  TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Twelfth Air Force): Brigadier General Thomas C Darcy
takes command of the XXII Tactical Air Command.
  In Italy, A-20s and A-26s on night intruder missions during the night of
5/6 Apr, bomb several bridges in the Po River Valley, scoring good results on
8 of the targets, also hitting an assembly area along the Po River; XXII
Tactical Air Command fighters and fighter bombers hit lines of
communications, mainly in the Po Valley, and support US Fifth Army forces
attacking toward Massa Lombarda; B-25s cancel missions against targets on the
Brenner line due to weather, but hit 6 bridges in the C Po Valley and gun
positions at La Spezia. The 446th and 448th Bombardment Squadrons (Medium),
321st Bombardment Group (Medium), move from Solenzara, Corsica to Falconara,
Italy with B-25s.

PACIFIC OCEAN AREA (POA)

  AAFPOA (Seventh Air Force): 11 B-24s from Guam Island pound positions and
airfield on Marcus Island; 23 from Angaur Island bomb barracks and a wharf at
Bunawan, Mindanao Island. 400 Kamikaze planes make an all-out effort against
Okinawa Island, Ryukyu Islands, shipping and beachheads; 2 destroyers, 2
ammunition ships, a mine sweeper and an LST are sunk; other vessels are
damaged; nearly 300 Japanese planes are expended. The 163d Liaison Squadron,
AAFPOA (attached to Tenth Army) begins a movement from Schofield Barracks,
Hawaii to Okinawa with L-5s.

  HQ AAF (Twentieth Air Force): HQ 468th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy)
arrives at West Field, Tinian Island from India.

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: B-25s bomb the town
of Hokko on Formosa. On Luzon Island, ground support sorties continue in
areas around Balete Pass, W of Ft Stotsenburg, N, NE, and S of Laguna de Bay,
and around Legaspi and fighters hit Carabao Island and Infanta. B-24s bomb a
town N of Cebu City while fighters support ground units on Cebu Island. A-20s
support ground forces on Negros Island. B-25s pound Bunawan on Mindanao
Island. B-24s bomb Jolo Island, Philippine Island defenses and ammunition
and supply dumps. At Manila US Army Forces, Pacific (AFPAC) is established
under General of the Army Douglas MacArthur. The 310th Fighter Squadron, 58th
Fighter Group, moves from San Jose, Mindoro Island to Mangaldan, Luzon with
P-47s.

SOURCES:
AIR FORCE COMBAT UNITS OF WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force History,
  Headquarters USAF, 1961, ISBN 0-912799-02-1
COMBAT SQUADRONS OF THE AIR FORCE, WORLD WAR II, Office of Air Force
  History, Headquarters USAF 1982
THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by the
  Office of Air Force History, Headquarters USAF, 1973
THE MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY by Roger A. Freeman, ISBN 1-85409-071-2
WORLD WAR II IN THE NORTH PACIFIC by Kevin D. Hutchinson, 1994,
  ISBN-0-313-29130-6

Jack McKillop
USAF (Airways and Air Communications Service)
1955-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop         |  Those who have long enjoyed such      |
|  Bellcore              |  privileges as we enjoy forget in      |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA    |  time that men have died to win them.  |
|  [email-masked]  |                       FDR              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

05/2349Z APR

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 19:58:00 EDT
From:    mc killop <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: WWII Movies

 >I may have missed it, but I haven't seen THE WAR LOVER mentioned.
 >
 >Not a particularly stellar piece of work and some of the effects are really
 >bad (like the obligatory couple falling in love acting in front of a blue
 >screen because they couldn't really transport them to a real exterior
 >location :-), but it also has some of the best.
 >
 >The B-17 flying sequences are quite good, but the best is part of the movie
 >is the minute or so long "B-17 Buzz Job."  That alone is worth the film.
 >:-)  The B-17, piloted by an irate guy decides to beat the crap out of the
 >airfield because they were sent on a (horror!) leaflet mission.
 >
 >The flying is real as is the B-17, no models used in this sequence.  I've
 >seen B-17s do "low approaches" but this kinda takes the cake... Plus, I
 >love the expression (or lack thereof) of the gum-chewing top turret gunner
 >who just kinda watches along.
 >
 >The rest of the movie can probably be tossed, but this part is worth keeping.
 >At least as a clip.
 >
 >(Yeah, I bought a copy... :-)
 >
 >--
 >\\ Robert J. Granvin                                 User Services Specialist

I believe it was Ernest K Gann (although ye olde gray matter would
not swear to it) wrote a book entitled EVERYTHING BUT THE FLACK
that described the resurrection, repair and flight of one of the
B-17s in the movie from th SW USA to England.  The part about them
landing in Portugal and being thrown in jail was a riot.  I highly
recommend the book for light reading.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jack McKillop              |  Those who have long enjoyed such |
|  Bellcore                   |  privileges as we enjoy forget in |
|  Piscataway, NJ USA         |  time that men have died to win   |
|  [email-masked]  |  them.                     FDR    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 19:36:43 -0500
From:    "Roddy R. Rupert" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: World War II Movies

A couple that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

        Von Ryan's Express
        Merrill's Marauders

Also I saw a promo that A&E is going to be showing "The Winds of War"
sometime in late April. I think this might be the first time it's been
shown since the original broadcast.

-------------------------------------------
Rod Rupert    [email-masked]
Springfield, MO

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:40:06 PST
From:    "Glen A. Baldridge" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA:Hitler's Body

     Some comments on the following story:

     >From the DoD Newswire 3 April 1995
     >:REPORT: USSR HAD HITLER'S BODY

     >Eva Braun swallowed poison to die with him.

     Wouldn't Eva Braun have used one of the infamous cyanide capsules?

     On this note and for interest to the list, until I saw the TV show
     mentioned in prior posts, I did not realize that these capsules were
     made of glass that were bitten into.  I had always thought that they
     were like a Contact (plastic) capsule.

     >The remains of Nazi propaganda minister Josef Goebbels, his wife,
     >Magda, and their six children also were taken.

     The show stated that Magda, after combing her children's hair and
     waiting for them to go to sleep, murdered each one by placing a
     capsule in each one's teeth and then forcing their teeth together to
     break the capsule.

     >Since the end of World War II, there have been numerous rumors
     >about Hitler's fate. Historians say he shot and killed himself in his
     >Berlin bunker on April 30, 1945.

     The show also addressed this question.  It stated that the autoposy
     done by the Russians on Hitler showed glass fragments in his mouth.
     It also stated that if he had used a cyanide capsule, the rapid effect
     of the cyanide would have made it impossible for him to have shot
     himself, that he must have been shot by his assistant (name?) for
     insurance.  Can anyone address the speed it took for the cyanide
     capsules to take effect?

     Glen Baldridge
     [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 Apr 1995 11:31:05 +1000
From:    "Wilber Williams, Prentice Centre" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WEAP: Attack Transports

Ed Kettler was telling us a couple of days ago about Attack Transports (APAs),
and whether they carried LCVPs or LCMs.

Since I first read Kenneth Dodson's "Away All Boats!" somewhere around 25
years ago, I've always wonderered what the initials in things like "LCVP",
"LCM", "LST" , and so on, mean. Can anyone give details of these, and some
information on the boats themselves.

Thanks,
Wilber

+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Wilber WILLIAMS                           [email-masked]       |
|Prentice Centre                           Telephone : +61 7 365 4232    |
|The University of Queensland              Facsimile : +61 7 365 4477    |
|Brisbane Qld 4072  AUSTRALIA              Pager : +61 7 831 6199 #20702 |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 22:03:07 -0400
From:    Jodi Berls <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: U Boats Offshore - Book q...

John Brewer wrote:

>The story is quite gripping, and I was wondering if anyone knew of
any books written about this oddesy, or further information regarding
this occurrance?

Hoyt's book is the only place I've read about this particular incident; he
gives the Eastern Sea Frontier War Diary and the CGR-3070's own patrol report
as his sources. I would think the former would be available from the Navy and
the latter from the Coast Guard.

Jodi Berls
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 1995 22:16:30 EDT
From:    Ralph Fasano <[email-masked]>
Subject: Naval Archives Internet Address?

Would anyone know the net address of the US Naval Archives? I'm doing some
research and this would help me greatly.

Thanks,

Ralph Fasano    [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of WWII-L Digest - 4 Apr 1995 to 5 Apr 1995
***********************************************