Subject: What about garnets?

From: [email-masked] (Sara J Dymek)
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 18:59:30 GMT

Does anyone ahve any info about garnets?  They're my favorites, but the 
closest I can find in my admittedly limited resources is ruby, and I know 
that's not right.  Any additional comments would be appreciated.

Sara J Dymek  "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
                --Albert Einstein

---

From: [email-masked] (TKslick)
Date: 4 Nov 1994 01:46:14 GMT

Sara J Dymek ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Does anyone ahve any info about garnets?  They're my favorites, but the 
: closest I can find in my admittedly limited resources is ruby, and I know 
: that's not right.  Any additional comments would be appreciated.

: Sara J Dymek  "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
:                 --Albert Einstein

Hey! Here ya go!:
Source: Minerals Of The World, Walter Schumann - Sterling Publishing
(GREAT book!)
Garnet 
A group of differently colored minerals with similar crystal structures. 
Streak white. Mohs' hardness 6 1/2 - 7 1/2. Specific gravity 3.40-4.32. 
Characteristics: all colors except blue. Lustre: vitreous, greasy, 
resinous; translucent to opaque. Cleavage: incomplete. Fracture: 
conchoidal to splintery, brittle. Crystals: (cubic) rhombododecohedral, 
icositerahedron; intergrowth, and surficial growth; seldom twinning. 
Aggregates: rough, grainy to dense; present in metomorphic rocks, also as 
gravel and sand in alluvial deposits. Accompanied by: quartz, feldspars, 
mica, calcite, chlorite, idocrase, magnetite, chromite, wallastonite.--
                                  ?
                    _____________/^\_________________ 
                   /-===<>>[email-masked]<<>===--\  
          _________I_________________________________I_________    
         | "Always do right. This will gratify some people and |
         |  astonish the rest."                                | 
         |____________________________________-Mark Twain______|

---

From: [email-masked] (John Mayer)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 02:44:12

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Sara J Dymek) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Sara J Dymek)
>Subject: What about garnets?
>Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 18:59:30 GMT

>Sara J Dymek  "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
I don't have my books available right now, but I do remember that garnet is a 
very powerful charm against nightmares. It is also used in conjunction with
golden topaz to enhance productivity. 

John E."Papa John" Mayer
[email-masked]
"I'm easy...I ain't cheap, but I'm easy!"

---

From: [email-masked] (Marian Crane)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 23:01:13 UNDEFINED

>>that's not right.  Any additional comments would be appreciated.

I remember something about Afghani tribesmen who used to make bullets out of 
garnets, on the basis of sympathetic magic...i.e.  the dark-blood color of the 
stone would itself cause or worsen wounds.  But this was over a century ago.

A good book to check for legends and lore would be George Frederick Kunz's
__The Curious Lore of Precious Stones__ from Dover.  I hope I've got the names 
right, it's been two decades since I read it <g>.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Shain)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 18:24:42 GMT

>/ hpcc01:alt.folklore.gemstones / [email-masked] (Sara J Dymek) / 10:59 am  Nov  1, 1994 /

>----------

Hi Sara,

Garnet is garnet.  It comes in all colors, purple, green, yellow, etc.
It is certainly not a ruby.  Get yourself a gem book from the bookstore
and learn about the different kinds of minerals that make up these gems.

Jay

---

From: [email-masked] (Crone)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 17:47:48 GMT

>and learn about the different kinds of minerals that make up these gems.

I agree with your thought. But from a folklore point of view, garnet 
and ruby really aren't all that different in a lot of ways. Most of 
the folklore ascribed to either is based on Sympathetic Magic. So if 
the stones look alike, similar uses will often be ascribed to them. 
FWIW.

Walk in Power,
Crone

---

From: [email-masked] (E. Ford)
Date: 29 Nov 1994 07:54:34 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Crone) writes: 

>Anyone have any information on moonstones? I adore them and am drawn to 
them but they are so hard to find both info on and sources to obtain 
them. Thanks!

EFord

---

From: [email-masked] (Jennifer Boggess)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 15:53:34 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (E.

> them but they are so hard to find both info on and sources to obtain 

Moonstone is a type of opalescent feldspar, usually white or bluish-white.
Obviously, they are traditionally associated with the moon and were/are
often thought of as sacred to lunar goddesses, such as Selene; they are 
often set in silver, traditionally a lunar metal. 

According to Scott Cunningham, moonstones can be used for scrying and
supposedly increase one's natural psychic abilities.  They are also
a lovers' stone.

-- 
  - Boggles
     [email-masked]