Subject: Looking for info for book...

From: [email-masked] (Dell27)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 22:26:29 -0500

I'm currently writing a Fantasy book which has been flowing in my head and
on paper for at least 10 years. Part of my book involves gems, and I need
some information. The gems pertain to the use of "Magic". Info would help
on:

Rarity of specific gems.
Gem names (other than the obvious)
Interesting rarities
Myths about specific gems
Sizes and shapes.

Thanks much, all help is appreciated. IF you could e-mail me, that would
be GREAT! My AOL screen name is Dell27. Otherwise I will check here.
Thanks again!!

Tom

---

From: [email-masked] (JamieFostr)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 18:25:50 -0400

My nominee for rarest gemstone would be red beryl or benitoite.  The
former ("red emerald") comes only from the Wah Wah Mountains of Utah (in
any quantity at all), and the latter comes only from a tiny mine a few
miles outside of Coalinga, CA.  Benitoite is the California state
gemstone.  It's a beautiful "cornflower blue" color with the refractive
index near that of diamond - the combo makes a brilliant gem! 
Alexandrites are plentiful compared to these.

Jamie