Subject: rockhound

From: [email-masked] (Jack andrews)
Date: 25 Feb 1995 22:25:57 GMT

Hi I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone in this group knows of a 
rockhound newsgroup. (This is the closest I could find) I am a 
silversmith/lapidary artist who goes out and finds stones, mostly here in 
Arizona. 
	I realize I am slightly off the subject of this group, if so I 
apologize. 
	Any rockhounds can email me. I am particularly interested in 
exchanging secret locations from your research, exploration. I can trade 
locality info, especially here in Arizona.
	Anyone seriously interested in beginning rockhounding, I would 
gladly correspond via email. Thanx for your time,

Jack Andrews                          
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Flyinggoat)
Date: 26 Feb 1995 12:34:24 -0500

try sci.geology, or sci.bio.paleontology.

Your best bet would be to get on one of the rock collectors' mailing
lists.  I don't have any addresses handy, but if you ask in these
newsgroups, someone can help you find them.
Betty Cunningham([email-masked])
illustrator, animator, and likes to collect dead things

---

From: [email-masked] (Lawler Keith)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 05:18:42 GMT

Sandy Kear ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Well, if there's a group out there for recreational mining, there
: _must_ be one for caving someplace.  Anyone know where such a
: newsgroup, or email discussion group might be?
: I'm not interested in heavy-duty-need-a-rope-and-scuba-gear type
: of caving, just a little crawling around in the dirt/mud type of
: stuff ...
: Thanks
: Sandy

Yep...your'e right.  It's called alt.caving (in some circles this sort of 
thing is known as a "no-brainer").

But be careful, that newsgroup gets pretty deep (in those same circles, 
this sort of statement is often followed by large groans, and the 
occasional "SHUT THE HELL UP!").

May your matches be dry, 

 --
keith Lawler
What time is it? NOW!
Where are we? HERE!

---

From: [email-masked] (Lawler Keith)
Date: 27 Feb 1995 17:39:38 GMT

I just recieved a new newsgroup called alt.mining.recreational.  This 
might be just the thing your looking for.

--
keith Lawler
Geology student
Northeastern Illinois Univ.
Chicago, Il

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandy Kear)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 95 12:42:42 GMT

>might be just the thing your looking for.

Well, if there's a group out there for recreational mining, there
_must_ be one for caving someplace.  Anyone know where such a
newsgroup, or email discussion group might be?

I'm not interested in heavy-duty-need-a-rope-and-scuba-gear type
of caving, just a little crawling around in the dirt/mud type of
stuff ...

Thanks

Sandy

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandy Kear)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 95 22:57:07 GMT

>thing is known as a "no-brainer").

Oh really?  Gee, I would have called it brain *dead*!  I can't believe
I missed it (looked several times!)>

Think I could comfort myself with the fact that I had to watch all those
alt.binaries go by?  (Hey, I have to leave myself with a few scraps of
dignity, after all ....)
>occasional "SHUT THE HELL UP!").

(GROAN GROAN GROAN)

Thanks!

Sandy