Subject: legends of gems

From: Sharon Saroff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 16:31:45 -0500

I have been asked to share a story of a gem.  Today I choose the 
Diamond.  A wonderous stone is the diamond.  It is the symbol of 
constancy and fidelity.  Perhaps that is why we use it as a gift of 
affection upon proposal of marraige.  The Persians say that the Diamond 
was created by the devil, for man is greedy and who else but the devil 
best knows how to satisfy the greed of man.  When man first dwelt in the 
Garden of Eden he enjoyed the beautiful flowers of many colors there.  
After man was banished from the garden he missed the flowers and their 
beautiful colors.  So that the devil took these colors and created a 
stone and placed these colors in the stone.  The stone created was the 
diamond.

Now I did speak of greed did I not.  That man possesses this trait to his 
detriment is well known.  The devil did create the Diamond to satisfy 
this greed.  And thus man seeks to satisfy his lust by gaining possession 
of these wonderous stones.

One such individual was the great Greek conqueror Alexander.  It seems 
that there was a place in the Land of Hind called the Valley of 
Diamonds.  This was no ordinary valley.  It was gaurded by giant 
serpents.  One had only to gaze into the eyes of these serpents and he 
would breath his last breath.  Many who sought to gain the diamonds in 
this valley did not return because they died upon gazing into these 
serpent's eyes.  But Alexander was a wise and clever man who had at his 
disposal many wise and clever advisors.  After long discussion with these 
advisors Alexander set off with his men to the Valley of Diamonds.  In 
one of the provision carts, carefully disguised was a large object.  
Alexander told his men that this object would kill the serpents and allow 
them to gain entry into the valley to retrieve its riches.  No one 
questioned Alexander's wisdom.  He had won many a battle and his men 
worshipped him.  When they reached the valley the object was set before 
the gate.  Alexander's men were careful not to look at the serpents.  
When they removed the covering from the object, behold a giant mirror 
stood there.  THe serpents gazed into the mirror and looked directly at 
their own deadly reflections.  Thus they died, leaving the entrance to 
the valley open to all.  But Alexander was cautious still.  Instead of 
entering the valley he instructed his men to spread some of the raw meat 
on the ground.  You see, Alexander had been observing the vultures 
circling in the sky above.  He noticed that they frequently visited the 
valley to rest.  The vultures seized the meat that had been left for them 
and returned to the valley to rest.  While doing so the diamonds attached 
themselves to the meat.  When the vultures took flight again, the 
diamonds fell into the waiting hands of Alexander and his men.

I believe the source of this story is the Curious Lore of Precious Stones 
by George Frederick Kunz.  

More later.

Sharon

---

From: [email-masked] (Flyinggoat)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 12:56:01 -0500

> But Alexander was cautious still.  Instead of 
>on the ground. 

I've heard this story before, only it was attributed to Sinbad in the
Arabian Nights.  How old is your source's source?
Betty Cunningham([email-masked])
illustrator, animator, and likes to collect dead things