Subject: Re: Amethyst Lore

From: [email-masked] (Sri Palindrome.151)
Date: 3 Mar 94 14:55:17 GMT

Phil OKunewick (okunewck@pds16) wrote:

:    Amethyst goblets during the middle ages were about as common as
: unicorns.  It wasn't until recent times that a large amethyst deposit
: was found in Brazil.

:    In other words, this belief was nearly untestable.  Amethyst rings
: were rare; amethyst goblets were practically legendary.  You could
: attribute all sorts of magical powers to amethyst, but there was no
: way that you could have the magic benifit you without the rock.

In addition to the appearance of a stone, the powers attributed them were 
often related to their rarity.  This goes to explain why such common 
rocks as granite and sandstone were never attributed magical powers, as 
is the case with amethyst (which was at one time a rare stone), emeralds 
and sapphires.  Only the rarest, most expensive stones were deemed 
magical, thus keeping the powers of royalty confined to the ruling class.

What need for a court wizard if you could pick up a chunk of common rock 
and start healing the sick?  :=}

******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ********
Sri Palindrome.151    ||||||||   All the gods & demons are we
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just another intermediate form on the evolutionary path.  Look
ma, I'm a mutant!
******* ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ********