Subject: Re: Elements and stones

From: [email-masked] (Jay Morris)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 21:06:22 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Kelly A. Madsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In article <[email-masked]>,
>Sherry Michael <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>Hum, why carnelian for Air? I always stick it with Fire. Obsidian with
>>Fire too (it's volcano glass!).
>>
>
>Like I said, that was off the top of my head. :) I usually just go
>with what feels right at the time. For example, with carnelian... one
>day I might use it as Air, one day I might use it as Fire. I also base
>some of it on color schemes, but mostly it's instinct!!
>
>Kelly A. Madsen (aka Triona ni Danu)      :           Blessed Be!
>          [email-masked]                  : "You can't expect to wield supreme
>Student Consultant Leader                 : executive power just because
>  Macintosh Shareware Server Administrator: some watery tart threw a sword
>  Asst. Workstation Lab Administrator     : at you!"
>Academic Computing and Network Services   :   -- Monty Python, of course!
>Northwestern University                   :                           <6/pi>
>

This seems to be a common theme. The "powers" seem to vary
greatly not only from individual to individual but from
one person's `feelings' at anyone particular time. What is
the historical perspective on this? Could/can the practioner vary
the application of a certain crystal depending upon their mood?

I suppose I expected crystal worship to have a firm foundation
based on some historical practice or individual. Here is your
chance everyone, I am asking for someone to tell me something
about one crystal, hmmmm... let us say quartz.

what is quartz supposed to do?
what makes a "good" crystal vs. a poor one? inclusions? color?
if it supposed to have medical applications what are they?
what is the history of the crystal worship?
early man {pre-homo sapiens at least} did not worship
crystals, at least evidenced by their lack of representation
at anthropological dig sites, when did this begin? the dark ages?
why do/did individuals actually believe in the power of the rocks?

come on, no flames, I promise. I just would like this group
to live up to its title.

jay
eli from hell

---

From: okunewck@pds16 (Phil OKunewick)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 23:05:00 GMT

>From a collector's viewpoint, a "good" quartz crystal is symmetrical.
But symmetrical quartz crystals are also uncommon - any kind of
groundwater flow during crystalization causes one side to become
larger, and makes the end a chisel blade instead of a point.

Many quartz crystals sold as jewelry and/or charms are not naturally
symmetrical; they're cut that way.  (Sorry folks, they gypped you.)
The edges are also slightly smoothed.

As for inclusions, I've some quartz crystals with absolutely marvelous
inclusions - one 2"x2" was clear with brown and yellow layers very
visible on the inside.  I've also seen crystals with crappy inclusions
- I have a 1"x2" Herkimer diamond which is just plain cloudy and
uneven.  I'm not authority on paranormal powers (if they even exist),
but something tells me that a crystal with really striking inclusions
ought to be more magical than an ordinary clear one.

-- 
One man, a Mr. Darwin, believes that man evolved from an oyster.
This theory is too absurd for further consideration.
                              ---"Goods Book of Nature", 1835

---

From: [email-masked] (Kelly A. Madsen)
Date: 5 Mar 1994 14:33:22 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,

>the application of a certain crystal depending upon their mood?

(Disclaimer: I'm a witch and here I'm stating the way *I* do it. YMMV.)

I use whatever crystals "feel" appropriate at the time because
crystals are like the rest of my tools... they don't really have that
much inherent power of their own but they help me focus my own power
to do what I want to do.

>what is quartz supposed to do?

My understanding of it is that clear and smoky quartz work well for
focusing energy, healing, and purification. Rose quartz is good for
love-related things and also for helping to generate a sense of
peace and well-being. This is from reading things as well as personal
experience.

No opinion on the rest of your questions... I don't have enough
information to give specifics on gemstone quality; I'm not a
geologist. Nor am I a historian... although if I were at home I could
probably find some historical references to properties of quartz.

>why do/did individuals actually believe in the power of the rocks?

Because I love gemstones, I think they're beautiful and I enjoy
working with them. Like I said before, they're tools that help me
focus myself and what I want to do. I enjoy finding or purchasing new
stones for my collection and trying them out to see how they work for
me, and I enjoy finding how other people interpret their properties.

---

From: [email-masked] (Sherry Michael)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 1994 20:13:17 GMT

>the application of a certain crystal depending upon their mood?

Yes, that's why I asked the question in this post. 

>about one crystal, hmmmm... let us say quartz.

Chance for what? To "convert" you to a crystal "worshipper?" I coudn't care a
pound of quartz what you believe. I will entertain your curiousity, however.

If you look at people who use magic, it is much more important that the
representations mean something to you than you follow some book.

>what is quartz supposed to do? 

Whatever you think it should do.

> what makes a "good" crystal vs. a poor one? inclusions? color?

If it's pleasing to you and you can feel it's energy, than it's a good one.

>if it supposed to have medical applications what are they?

I wouldn't know

>what is the history of the crystal worship?
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't worship crystals. All things have some kind of energy. Energy can
be used. Coal is a good example, eh? Crystals and stones are just tools.

>early man {pre-homo sapiens at least did
not worship >crystals, at least evidenced by their lack of representation
>at anthropological dig sites, when did this begin? the dark ages?

I'd rather not discuss a paleo theory that's developed from "nuthin's
there, so they didn't do it" logic. It's just not productive.

 >why do/did
individuals actually believe in the power of the rocks?

I don't know anyone who "worships" crystals. The theory goes every thing
on Earth is held together by some power, and contains power. A human, a
bug a rock. Crystals and rocks are not "special" in this aspect. I don't
give a rat's behind if you belive in magic or not, but I KNOW it works. I
can use a rock, a feather,a cord or NOTHING (just my power) to work a spell.

With very minor magical training you can be taught to feel these energies
in rocks, plants, people, etc. You can't do it if you turn away from the
possibilities. Working with magic is the best proof.

I don't think a certian stone can in itself "heal". I use them to
represent forces of nature, like a magical trigger. 

Not everyone who uses crystals use them for the same reasons. 

May you find your Path.

---Sherry Michael---
The rain, it raineth on the Just and the Unjust fella.
But chiefly on the Just because
The Unjust steals the Just's umbrella.

---

From: [email-masked] (Sherry Michael)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 1994 20:26:28 GMT

>me, and I enjoy finding how other people interpret their properties.

Well said Kelly. Better job explaining than I attempted.

Blessed Be!

---

From: [email-masked] (Kelly A. Madsen)
Date: 3 Mar 94 15:00:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Sherry Michael <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I'd like to see a few examples of stones you folks coorespond to the
>Elements, for comparative purposes. It seems that everyone has a different
>"set" . I tend to be more color orientated, so I think of jade as relating to
>Earth, but I see others that use it to represent Water.

Well, I don't have that large a collection of gemstones, but of what I
do have here's what I'd use:

Earth: emerald, malachite, bloodstone, hematite, amber
Air: smoky and clear quartz (actually, any quartz, but these in
     particular), moonstone, carnelian, fluorite
Fire: topaz, tiger's eye
Water: aquamarine

Others that I'd use if I had them:

Earth: black onyx, obsidian
Air: diamond, turquoise
Fire: garnet, ruby, pyrite
Water: sapphire, pearl, coral

---

From: [email-masked] (Sherry Michael)
Date: 3 Mar 94 19:51:30 GMT

Just wondering

---

From: [email-masked] (Kelly A. Madsen)
Date: 4 Mar 94 14:56:29 GMT