Subject: OVO: Potato Frittata Sandwiches with Roasted Red Peppers

From: [email-masked] (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 05:04:28 GMT

Potato Frittata Sandwiches with Roasted Red Peppers

4 large red bell peppers
6 eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
Garlic-Olive Mayonnaise
8 large slices of Portuguese breads, lightly toasted

Roast the peppers directly under the broiler as close to the heat as
possible.  Place the peppers in a bag and let steam for 10 minutes.  Peel
the peppers and remove the cores, seeds and ribs.  Cut the peppers into
1/2 inch slices and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs wtih the cream, salt and pepper.  Beat
lightly until blended.

In a medium saucepan, cook the potatoes in boiling water over moderately
high heat until tender, about 10 minutes; drain well.

Preheat the oven to 400F.  In a large ovenproof skillet, heat 1/4 cup of 
the olive oil over moderate heat.  Add the onion, reduce the heat to low 
and cook until softened and golden, about 12 minutes.

Increase the heat to high and add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil.  Stir in
the potatoes.  Add the beaten eggs and tilt the pan to evenly distribute.

Transfer to the oven and bake the frittata until firm to the touch, about
12 minutes.  Return the skillet to high heat for about 30 seconds, shaking
to loosen the frittata.  Slide onto a very large plate or cutting board
and let cool slightly.  Cut the frittata into 4 lengthwise strips, then
halve the strips crosswise.

Spread a tablespoon or two of the garlic-olive mayonnaise on 4 of the
toast slices.  Top the ramining toast wtih the frittata slices and the 
roasted pepper strips and put the sandwiches together.  Serve warm or at
room temperature.

Garlic-Olive Mayonnaise

1 egg yolk, at room temperature
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped drained capers
1 teaspoon chopped oil cured olives

Place the egg yolk, garlic and lemon juice in a blender.  With the machine
on, slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream to make a thick mayonnaise.
If the mixture separates at any time, add 2 teaspoons of hot water and 
continue blending until emulsified.

Scrape the mayonnaise into a small bowl.  Stir in the capers and olives.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.

-- 
Stephanie da Silva			      PO Box 720711
[email-masked]                           Houston, TX  77272
Moderator, rec.food.recipes                   713 568 0381
"One problem with the Information Superhighway: more bad drivers." -- KD Leka