Subject: Economics of Self-Medication

From: Steve Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 11:29:24 EST

Queen's Health Policy in Kingston, Ontario is conducting a study
   on the Economics of Self-Medication in Canada, and the impact of
   switching drugs from prescription-only to over-the-counter
   availability.

   We are establishing a comprehensive framework for our economic
   analyses -- one which gives us an understanding of the critical
   factors which affect the OTC market in Canada.  Among other
   factors, this framework takes into consideration the role of OTCs
   within the broader health-care system, the regulatory environment
   for pharmaceutical sales/marketing, and the availability and
   accessability of drug-related information for professionals and
   lay persons.

   We are also building a portrait of the international "OTC world"
   -- including the role of self-medication within the health
   systems of other countries, and the international status of Rx-
   to-OTC switching.

     If interested in sharing ideas on the Economics of
     Self-Medication feel free to contact me directly at
     [email-masked]

   Thank you.

   Steve Morgan
   Research Assistant - Pharmaceutical Economics
   Queen's Health Policy - Queen's University at Kingston
   [email-masked] - (613)545-6000 ex.5249