Subject: SUMMARY: Advice for Chafing

From: [email-masked] (Brian Bloom)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 21:57:23 GMT

What follows is a summary of the responses to my request for
advice about the prevention/treatment of chafing of the inner
thighs.  Sincere thanks to everyone who responded.  Perhaps this
would qualify for distilled wisdom or archiving somewhere?

br!an bloom
[email-masked]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Try biking shorts (spandex/lycra) and/or lots of baby powder on the chafing
zones and/or (my last desperate measure) vaseline on the chafing zone.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hi,   You and I seem to have the same body type and the same problems with
chafing.  Hiking in nylon running shorts has helped a lot (compared to cotton
shorts or levis)--only disadvantage is when you have to slide on your butt
across something (as in the occasional serious crosscountry situation).  The
second thing that's helped is the LIBERAL use of "A & D ointment".  A&D
ointment looks like vaseline but is thicker and lasts a lot longer.  It helps
prevent chafing AND treats it once it has occurred (better to avoid the
latter).  (Two other minor "tricks" -- lose some weight (I know this is LOTS
easier said than done from my own frequent failures) and take up running if you
don't already...the notion here is to toughen the inside of your legs up
through using them more--kinda like calluses--may also help lose weight.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

How about silk boxer shorts as your underwear?  Or perhaps light nylon?  If you
can't find men's underwear in these slippery materials, you could use 
women's which I know area available.  Living without a fly opening could
get a little unpleasant, but I'll bet it would reduce the chafe in a major
way. 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Try corn starch.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

   I suffer from the same problem with some pants and not others. I try
to wear pants that have been washed and worn many times. I have also
heard that dude ranches recommend panty hose for dudes who aren't used
to riding horseback. Many men don't like the idea, but they change their
minds after the first day. I can't say how much the nylons help, but
it's an idea. You can probably think up variations on the theme, if you
prefer.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I find that baby powder prevents chafing, and a baby diaper-rash ointment
like Diaperene will cure it.  I always carry both when I'm going to be
doing a lot of walking, even on trips to disneyland and such.  It's a bit
embarassing to smell like a nursery, but what the hell, it works...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You too eh?  I'm in the identical situation, except that my
problems are exacerbated that my natural cooling system dictates
that I break a sweat starting in the morning and don't stop until
sundown.

Are you minimually hipped?  In my experience chaffing is caused
by pants riding down low so that the inseam rubs on the inside
of the thighs.  Perhaps suspenders are the answer.  Failing that,
long baggy underwear (like boxers or bicycling shorts) could
be an answer, although in hot environments I don't think it'd be
that great.  I've tried going w/out underwear but it has zero
affect on the problem.  Another idea I had was to have smooth
fabric sewn over the inseams of my camping pants, but I haven't
tried it yet.

In the meantime you can treat the chaffing with a mix of 50/50
glycerine and rubbing alcohol, applied to the chaffed area.
It gives instant relief and sooths the chaffed skin.  I carry 
a 1 oz. bottle whenever I backpack.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I like bike shorts with the shammie (sp?) crotch lining because
the shammie keeps the sweat away from my body.  
(Kinda feels like a diaper, though.)  

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I suggest frequent applications of a good quantity of baby powder.
Certainly every couple of hours.  You can take the lids off the white
drugstore bottles (J & J, etc) and fill up film cans which you can carry
in your pocket.  A nice addition is the white plastic lids which are
designed to convert film cans into salt/pepper shakers.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

	I avoid cotton entirely while hiking.  Lightweight polypro
longjohns (cut off just above the knee if it's very hot) is what I use
to avoid this problem.  Usually, I'll wear a light pair of shorts over
these. 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Here's a trick I learned from an old Boy Scout:

First, it is important to wash every day.  Some hikers don't bother, but if
chafing is a problem you need to wash carefully.  Cold water works fine, and
be sure to rinse off all traces of soap.

Second, dry off as carefully as possible.

Third, apply cornstarch liberally.  The cornstarch will keep you dry and
also provides a sort of lubrication.  I have a white sock which I fill with
cornstarch and tie a knot in the end.  I keep this in a ziplock bag.  After
bathing, I pat myself with the sock, covering the inside of my thighs with
cornstarch.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Look at bike shorts. The idea here is to have the cloth stick to 
your skin, so the chaffing is cloth to cloth. And in this case, 
why layer ?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I've got a problem with "biker's thighs", also.  I usually go with Lycra
running shorts (essentially bike shorts without the chamois) under my
walking shorts.  No problems with chafing with this method.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You might try some of the underwear designed for cyclists. It
comes farther down on the thigh than briefs. Spandex cycling
shorts might also work but the fabric isn't very breathable.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I have same big thighs, occasionally the same problem. try

1. corn starch / baby powder.  It worked (mostly) on our butts when we
were babies, works on the trail for me.  I keep some for longer hikes,
a bit in the a.m. and once or twice during the day reduces friction alot.

2. cyclist shorts - those skin tight lycra shorts for cyclists.  they
extend below the thigh and should absorb most of the friction between
thighs.  i don't wear them, but imagine they might work under shorts.
same could be said for an old pair of polypro long underwear, cut off
below the thigh and worn under shorts.

no guarantees for either approach, I don't usually hike in 100+F/100+
humidity weather (your results may vary).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm thrilled so many other hikers have this problem (misery loves company);
I don't feel so embarassed anymore.

Here's what I do:  Biker's underwear, even in warm weather (Performance
makes a cotton/lycra blend that works for me because it does not get soaked
with sweat (lycra) and does not ride up to expose my thighs (they're longer
than briefs and tigher than jockeys).  Over the underwear I wear synthetic
shorts or long pants, depending on how much the bugs are biting and how cold
the air temperature is.  For an added ounce of prevention I might rub a little
petroleum jelly on my inner thighs to cut down on the abrasion. It's a little
gummy when mixed with sweat, but it still prevents chafing.  I've eliminated
the problem with this combination approach.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks to those who offered advice:

	Christine Wein <[email-masked]>
	[email-masked] (Chuck Worth)
	[email-masked] (David E. Damouth)
	[email-masked] (Mike Paulson)
	"Lauren P. McGavran" <[email-masked]>
	Evan Hunt <[email-masked]>
	Robert Allen, [email-masked]
	[email-masked] (Alicia McCurdy)
	[email-masked] (Chris Schmandt)
	[email-masked] (Mark Eklof)
	[email-masked] (Gerald Belton)
	[email-masked] (Yoo Ho Cho)
	[email-masked] (Andy Hill)
	[email-masked] (Guy Smith)
	Tom Albertson <[email-masked]>
	Andy Sachs <[email-masked]>
-- 
       __     ____         __   ____         __   __        (__==__)
      /\ \   /  \_\       / /\ /  \ \       / |\ / /\         (oo)  ( moo.)
     /  \_\ / /\ |_|     / / /| /\ \ \     /  ||/ / /  /-------\/  -'
    / /\ | |\ \/ /_/_   / / / \ \/  \ \   /   |/ / /  / | U.T.||
   /  \/ |_| \  __ \_\ /_/ /   \  /\ \_\ / /|   / /  *  ||----||
  / /\ ./_/   \ \ \/_/_\_\/     \ \ \/_// / |  / /      ^^    ^^
  \ \/ |_|     \ \_\ /_/\        \ \_\ /_/ /|_/ /     Br!an Bloom
   \__/_/       \/_/ \_\/         \/_/ \_\/ \_\/   [email-masked]
     .. but music hides me so well,  ..and reveals me.. oh well - HR