Subject: Re: citric acid: what is it?

From: Daniel F Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 18:28:00 -0500

Excerpts from netnews.sci.chem: 23-Feb-95 citric acid: what is it? by
Joe [email-masked] 
>Could someone please tell me what citric acid is, where it comes from,
>how it is produced, and why it is used? In particular, I'd like to
>understand what connection it has, if any, with yeast. I am presently
>on a restricted diet that excludes yeast and yeast by-products and
>there is a small note in my FOODS-TO-AVOID list about avoiding citric
>acid. Is there truly a connection?
> 
>E-mail replies would be much appreciated.

    From the 12th ed. Materials Handbook:

    Citric acid produced from lemons, limes, and pineapples is a
colorless, oderless crystalline powder.  It has the chemical composition
(CO2HCH2)2C(OH)COOH...It is used in medicine, flavoring extracts, and in
soft drinks, but is toxic in excess...Citric acid is also produced by
the fermentation of blackstrap molasses.

    As an antioxidant, it's good for you, but, as the handbook says, it
can be toxic in large quantities.  I wouldn't avoid it; just don't over
do it.  Hope this helps!

I)aniel Schmidt

      AKA

[-(-<Vector>-)-]