Subject: SUMMARY: food allergens -- the "unusual" grains

From: [email-masked] (Robyn Kozierok)
Date: 2 Jun 1994 22:24:12 GMT

A while back, I asked about which of the "unusual" grains were likely to
be allergenic.  I had specifically asked about millet and quinoa.  

I am not a doctor (nor, I believe, are any of my respondents) so please do
not take this as medical advice or gospel, but:

It appears that millet is unlikely to be allergenic.  (I did end up letting
Ryan try it, and he did fine with it.)

Quinoa is apparently closely related to wheat, hence more likely to be
allergenic.  

Buckwheat (not related to wheat (?)) is also likely safe.

I've included my original question, and extracts from responses below.

Note that I was asking about allergens, not gluten intolerance or Celiac
disease, but my post did prompt some discussion of these conditions.  
There wasn't too much consensus in this discussion, and there does not
appear to be solid information to go on.  See the specific responses 
below for more information.

I also learned some more general information about food allergens:

It was pointed out to me that nuts, especially peanuts were omitted
from my original list of likely allergens.  (I knew about this, just
forgot to type it in.)  Also, I listed egg white, which is the more
serious allergen in eggs, but was informed that even egg yolk is quite
highly allergenic and worth avoiding.  In my own research since that
time, I have been led to add chocolate to the list.  Other possible
allergens are bell peppers and legumes.  One extreme source I consulted
(The title is "Coping with Food Allergy" but I've lost the name of the
author) also suggested avoiding: apples and peaches, spinach, chicken
and liver.  This same source recommends the following safe foods as
good firsts:  rice, oats, barley; pears, apricots; carrots, beets, squash, 
sweet potatoes.  It recommends veal and lamb as first meats.  (It lists 
veal as less allergenic than beef, something I am skeptical about.)

===========================================================================
My original question:
===========================================================================

> Hi all,
> 
> As I've mentioned before, due to my serious food allergy (fish) we're taking 
> a cautious approach to Ryan's solid foods -- introducing 1 food/week and
> avoiding likely allergens (egg white, wheat, corn, soy, cow's milk,
> fish, shellfish, strawberries, pork, tomatoes, onions & citrus -- I'm not 
> sure about the last 3 -- there seems to be some disagreement as to whether 
> these are allergens or "merely" disagree with some kids -- in any case we 
> will probably continue to avoid these) for the first year.
> 
> Most brands of baby mixed cereals contain wheat, which we are avoiding.
> Earth's Best makes one which is brown rice, barley and millet.  So, does
> anyone know how millet fares, allergy-wise?  It's not on any of the lists
> of usual allergens I've seen, but I wonder if that is because it's ok
> or because they just haven't bothered considering the less common grains.
> Also, anyone know anything about the allergenic properties of other uncommon 
> grains, such as quinoa?

===========================================================================
The replies:
===========================================================================
From: [email-masked] (Kerry Dalley)

Millet is a grain much used in Slavic and Asian countries as a source of 
protein with a low carbohydrate level.  Russian athletes train on a diet 
in which millet is the main grain food, since it gives protein energy 
without being fattening.  The protein of millet is a simple one and 
easily digested;  it's amino acid count is high, making it a good source 
of protein that is rarely allergenic.

Buckwheat is another grain in the same category...

[regarding the source of the above information:]

It is from Dorothy Hall's Natural Health Book.  As well as that, any 
books by William Crooks on allergy would be useful,  And Maureen Minchin 
has written an excellent book, called "Food For Thought"  which is about 
allergic babies/children, and how best to introduce foods to them, as 
well as WHAT foods to use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Kathy Johnson)

quinoa is very closely related to wheat.  My daughter has a wheat allergy 
and cannot have quinoa either.  The allergist told us that the two are 
very alike.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Lisa Lewis <[email-masked]>

My son always reacted to citrus badly...he would get hives after o.j.  as
a toddler. Now he can drink FRESH squeezed juice....that means the glass
I make for him to drink, not if I make some and refrigerate it. For him,
it seems to be the tiny fermentation that occurs in concentrated and
canned juices that cause bad (behavioral) reactions at this point.

Millet is unlikely to be a problem.  If wheat IS a problem...consider
avoiding all the gluten grains in case it is the gluten (protein) that is
the problem.  My son can't eat wheat, oats, barley or rye because he is
gluten free.  That means that triticale and kamut are also out, but
buckwheat (unrelated to wheat) is in.  Quinoa noodles and flour are
excellent.  Amaranth is also ok.  

So where do you get all these wondrous products?  At the health food
store of course.

And watch the labels of "wheat free" foods---often they use rye or
barley.  If gluten is the part of wheat that is a problem they must be
avoided.  And anything sweetened with malt (from barley) or rice syrup
also has grain products.  Read labels.  "Modified food starch" might be
tapioca, but more likely it is corn or wheat!

Have fun...it can be a real adventure (though it's also a real pain and
expensive to avoid allergens!)

Lisa

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Wendy E. Betts)

In article <[email-masked]>,
Lisa Lewis  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>Millet is unlikely to be a problem.  If wheat IS a problem...consider
>avoiding all the gluten grains in case it is the gluten (protein) that is
>the problem.  My son can't eat wheat, oats, barley or rye because he is
>gluten free.  That means that triticale and kamut are also out, but
>buckwheat (unrelated to wheat) is in.  Quinoa noodles and flour are
>excellent.  Amaranth is also ok.  

If your son is actually celiac (gluten-intolerant) you might want to
look into the research on these grains.  Most celiacs are advised to
avoid them until more is known because so many do react to them. (This
was a major disappointment for me, as the only really good pasta I've
found was corn and quinoa.) 

Incidently, the latest CSA newsletter mentioned that Spelt, sometimes
listed as a wheat alternative, *contains* wheat, so should be avoided
by the wheat allergic as well as the gluten-intolerant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: [email-masked] (Andrea M Free-Kwiatkowski)

: Incidently, the latest CSA newsletter mentioned that Spelt, sometimes
: listed as a wheat alternative, *contains* wheat, so should be avoided
: [email-masked] 		 the body of your letter.* 

This is NOT true.  Wheat may be in the same plant family was spelt, but 
spelt DOES NOT contain wheat.  Spelt DOES contain gluten.  My child, who 
got a positive skin test to wheat and has a reaction to a slight amount 
of wheat, does fine with spelt.  I know of several other wheat-allergic 
people (who are not gluten-intolerant) who also have no problems with 
spelt.  

Andrea Kwiatkowski

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

>From [email-masked] Thu May 12 12:04:45 EDT 1994
From: Lisa Lewis <[email-masked]>

My son is not celiac, but IS gluten-intolerant.  The theory is that he
lacks the ability to metabolize gluten (or casein, in dairy products) and
that it acts as an "opioid" like substance.  He is autistic, and when I
took him off gluten we saw a huge improvement in his behavior.  We've had
a few accidental "challenges" whereby he was given something we didn't
realize had guten, and he went wacky for several hours.

He does perfectly fine on the quinoa pasta I buy, which is clearly labled
"gluten free."  It is true that *some* quinoa pastas are combined with
wheat however, so you have to read the labels very carefully.  However,
I'm always doing that anyway.

Though he doesn't have any celiac symptoms, I have found the various
celiac organizations very helpful, especially in terms of pointing me to
sources of gluten free foods (mixes) and cookbooks.  Sam's birthday is
coming up in a month and I am so thrilled that I will be able to make him
a "real" birthday cake!

Lisa

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Wendy E. Betts)

How interesting! I've never heard of anyone gluten-intolerant in a
different way - although I, and many other celiacs, also go "wacky"
after "accedental challenges." I get unbelievably irritable, followed
by severe depression. (Besides the physical symptoms.)

I'm told by someone else that Quinoa is considered safe.  It is listed
as unsafe in my celiac handbook, but that is not known for its
consistency.

I'm not real thrilled with the organization I've mostly used, the CSA
- authors of the abovementioned annoying handbook. But they do have
some excellent recipe books - my husband makes a cake from one of
their recipes that anyone would slobber over (and often do - at
least, as often as I can get him to make it!) If you need their
address, let me know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Wendy E. Betts)

There were some messages here recently about what grains were safe for
children (or adults) with gluten-intolerance. Everyone seemed to have
different info. Anyway, I got the Celiac Disease Foundation Newletter
today and here is their word:

AMARANTH, QUINOA, TEFF and BUCKWHEAT *appear* to be non-topic but have
never been specifically *tested*. This contradicts what I'd heard from
CDF members, that it was considered safe. (BTW, The Celiac Sprue Association
also disputes the *appears* safe claim.  This one will have to be a
judgement call, but keep in mind that some researchers claim that you
can be internally affected even if you don't have symptoms.)

DURUM, SEMOLINA, KAMUT, SPELT and TRITICALE *must be avoided* along
with the usual list of wheat, rye oats and barley.

The CDF also reminds us to watch out for contaimination from toasters,
condiments jars, etc. if anyone in your household is not eating
gluten-free.

If you have arguments about these, please contact the CDF, not me! I'm
only posting this because of the recent controversy.