Subject: Free Radical Control

From: [email-masked] ("Andrew Paterson")
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 20:46:41 GMT

Today, a great deal of the popular nutritional publications are focusing 
on free radical attack as a cause of a host of diseases, from cancer to 
aging. What is often overlooked is that the cell produces many of its own 
free radicals that are essential in its metabolism, including hydrogen 
peroxide in the peroxisomes. The H2O2 is isolated in the peroxisomes to 
prevent it damaging other parts of the cell, and I understand that when 
the oxygen molecule is split apart the singlet oxygen atoms bind to the 
enzyme responsible until oxidation can take place. Any comments on other 
free radical controlling mechanisms?

Andrew Paterson                 [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 1994 21:17:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] ("Andrew Paterson") writes:
>From: [email-masked] ("Andrew Paterson")
>Subject: Free Radical Control
>Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 20:46:41 GMT

>Andrew Paterson                 [email-masked]

-I seem to remember answering a previous question of yours

A good book to check out on this topic is "The  Molecular Biology of Free 
Radical Scavenging Systems" edited by J.G. Scandalios, Cold Spring Harbour 
Press, 1991. Hope this helps some more.

A. Hillar
[email-masked]