Subject: Indoor Air Quality

From: Bryan=[email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 10:07:24

I have been given to understand by [email-masked]
that there are folks here who discuss IAQ issues.  If I am 
wrong, please let me know.

My name is Bryan Hayward, and I am a student assistant
working at the Army Corps of Engineers Construction 
Engineering Research Laboratories in Champaign, IL.
I am working on VOC mitigation as a means of improving
IAQ.  If there are others out here in cyberspace who are 
looking into similar issues, please contact me, or post here.
I am hoping that I will be welcome to post here periodically
to contact others with similar interests.   Also, I would like to
be able to let other newsgroups that I have posted to know 
where they can find an IAQ forum.  

To begin with, although most ind. hyg. probably are already 
aware of this, there was a proposed rule  on IAQ in the April
5th Federal Register.  I discovered this by sheer luck.  I 
would like to start this IAQ thread with a view toward being 
able to tip off and receive tips on IAQ journal articles, new
federal and state regulations (proposed and recently passed),
and new studies, especially those with surprising 
conclusions.  

I thank you in this newsgroup in advance for your indulgence,
and I hope that this will be a productive and informative 
endeavor for everyone concerned.

Hot tip:  My report, while mostly an introduction to the Army
on VOC's, will probably be available for public aquisition 
sometime this winter.  It will probably be old hat for some,
but new IAQ students may be interested.  

Sincerely,
Bryan Hayward ( you can contact me at
locations listed below)

e-mail: [email-masked]

phone: 1-800-872-2375 (1-800-USA-CERL) ext 7479

fax: 217-373-6740

USACERL-FEC
Attn: Bryan Hayward
P. O. Box 9005
Champaign, IL  61826

---

From: Bryan=[email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 18:22:17

Sorry to post this, but the e-mail message 
bounced.

Tahelia,

Thanks for responding to my post.  As I am a 
materials engineering major,  we may have 
little common ground, other than tips on IAQ 
stuff we run across.  As IAQ is interdisciplinary
in nature, we may have some good luck in that
regard.  Some of the stuff I have may be old 
hat to you, but here goes...

Dr. Dean Baker, epidemiologist, wrote a chapter
of "Problem Buildings: Building Related Illness 
and the Sick Building" as part of the "Occupational
Medicine: State of the Art Reviews" series.  That 
may be a good starting point for further references.

Alan Hedge, psychology professor at Cornell U.
Ithaca, NY (607) 255-1957 is another good one.

Possible source also:
D.W. Black, A. Rathe, and R.B. Goldstein in 
Journal of the American Medical Association
(I believe it is volume 264, pp 3166-3170) 
(1990) 
"Environmental Illness: A Controlled Study of 26 
Subjects with 20th Century Disease"

Sorry these are so old, and especially if you 
already know about them.  But I will continue to 
be on the lookout for you.  

Have a good day!

Bryan