Subject: Magnesium and Asthma

From: [email-masked] (Paul Mason)
Date: 20 Jan 1995 20:39:08 GMT

A quick search of Medline brought up numerous references to the 
connection between magnesium deficiency and asthma.   In the past the 
connection was clouded because researchers were trying to connect asthma 
to the SERUM level of magnesium, but serum levels cloak the 
intracellular deficiencies of Mg, so they found no connection.   There 
is still no easy test for Mg deficiency, but by using tissue samples it 
is with difficulty possible to determine the intracellular deficiency, 
so now the connection to asthma is becoming clear.

Dietary Magnesium, Lung Function, Wheezing, And Airway Hyperreactivity 
In a Random Aduolt Population Sample.   Lancet 1994 Aug 
6;344(8919):357-62      Low magnesium intake may therefore be involved 
in the aetiology of asthma and chronic obstructive airways disease.

Effect of Parenteral Magnesium Sulphate On Pulmonary Functions In 
Bronchial Asthma.  
J. Asthma 1994;31(2):109-15      They infused MgSO4 and found:  It is 
concluded that modest improvement in airways resistance and specific 
cconductance and only small improvement in maximal expiratory flow rates 
is consistent with a predominant effect of MgSO4 on large airways in 
patients with bronchial asthma.

Clinical Studies With The Nova ISE for IMg2+.   Scand. J. Clin. Lab 
Invest Suppl 1994;217:53-67    The Ca2+/Mg2+ ratio appears to be an 
important guide for signs of vascoconstriction and/or spasm and possibly 
enhanced athergenesis.   Overall, the data point to important uses for 
ISE's for IMg2+ in the diagnosis and treatment of disease states.  (He 
studied asthma).

The Role Of Disorders In The Homeostasis Of Divalent Cations In The 
Pathogenesis And Clinical Picture Of Bronchial Asthma.   (Russian)  Ter 
Arkh 1994; 66(3):8-12    Lack of Mg and excess of Ca in blood cells  
(seem to be)... responsible for bronchial hyperreactivity.

Rapid Infusion Of Magnesium Sulphate Obviates Need For Intubation In 
Status Asthmaticus.
Am J Emerg Med 1994 Mar;12(2):164-6      Rapid infusion of MgSO4 .... 
obviated the need for endotracheal intubation and mechanical 
ventilation.

Magnesium Sulphate Potentiates Several Cardiovascular And Metabloic 
Actions of Terbutaline.
Chest 1994 Mar;105(3):701-5      MgSO4 has been shown to be efficacious 
... for the emergency treatment of asthma.

Magnesium And Its Therapeutic Uses; A Review.   Am J Med 1994 Jan; 
96(1):63-76
Evidence investigating magnesium's use is presented, with a number of 
studies suggesting it should be seriously considered in such conditions 
as .... asthma.

Role of Magnesium In Regulation Of Lung Function.   J Am Diet Assoc 1993 
Jun;93(6):674-7
(Indicates patients should be monitored routinely for Mg deficiency).

Intravenous Magnesium For Acute Asthma.   Ann Emerg Med 1993 
Mar;22(3):617-9  (letter)

Hypomagnesemia Due to beta 2-agonist Use In  Bronchial Asthma (letter). 
  J Assoc Physicians India 1992 May;40(5):346

There were many other studies and references to magnesium and asthma.   
 Many of the studies noted that drugs used in the treatment of asthma 
caused loss of magnesium.   A great many drugs, including alcohol, cause 
rapid loss of  magnesium.     Common sense would suggest that instead of 
waiting for an asthma attack before administering magnesium, oral 
magnesium supplementation should be a part of treatment for asthma as a 
preventive.   

I suggest  treating physicians advise asmatics  to consume at least 6 mg 
magnesium per day for each kilogram of body weight.  An even higher 
intake of 10 mg/day per Kg of body weight may be desirable provided that 
it does not trigger a laxative effect.   Breaking the dosage into three 
or four parts taken at different times of day  helps prevent laxative 
effect.    Magnesium hydoxide is NOT recommended because of poor 
bio-availability and because I know of  no instance of it having any 
beneficial use other than as a laxative.   Other Mg compounds appear to 
be better, including Mg oxide, Mg bi-carbonate, and Mg citrate.   
Natural Mg carbonate/bi-carbonate in water is 30% more bioavailable than 
Mg in food or pill, and has a much greater cardio-protective effect, 
judging by epidemiological evidence.

Paul Mason
Researcher