Subject: Re: MAGNESIUM IN GROUND WATER AFFECTS LIFE SPAN

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 DEC 94 01:56:11 -0500

>It is no accident that the parts of the U. S. having the longest life
>span also have the highest magnesium content in their tap water.  Recent
>research shows that magnesium can prevent heart disease and fatal heart
>attacks --- perhaps as many as 200,000 deaths per annum in the U. S.
 
I'm not suprised. I'm writing a paper on Alzheimer's Disease and suggested
therapies. AD is, in many ways, accelerated aging of specific parts of
the brain. part of my paper follows.
 
Magnesium.
 
"Oxidative stress and neurodegenerative processes are accompanied
by a pronounced magnesium dificiency. This is also true for diseases
associated with premature aging such as Down syndrome" (13).
 
"Magnesium deficiency affects calcium transport and iron
sequestration, impairs mitochondrial function, and induces radical
generation by redox recycling. In contrast, magnesium administration
improves energy and glucose utilization, stablizes enzymes and
membranes, and protests biomolecules against oxidative damage by
reactive radicals. It has been demonstrated that magnesium exhibits
potent chemo- and cardio-protective actions. Newly developed
magnesium salts, with greatly enhanced oral bioavailability and
exhibiting extremely low toxicity, have been used sucessfully to
counteract stress and age-related excitotoxicity in experiments in
animals and humans. The administration of magnesium salts with high
bioavailability prolongs life span and reverses age-related
morphological, biochemical, electrophysiological, and behavioral
impairments" (13).
 
"The three major molecular mechanisms that have been identified as
being involved in the irreversible process of specific neuronal death
during aging are glutamate-mediated excitotoxicity, intra-neuronal
calcium overload, and hydroxyl radical-induced peroxidation and
oxidative damage to biomolecules" (13) Magnesium affect all of these
mechanisms favorably. Magnesium reverses the age-dependent
decline in melatonin production.
 
I therefore suggest daily consumption of a highly bioavailable
magnesium salt ( ex.-calcium-magnesium).
 
13*. Melatonin, hydroxyl radical-mediated oxidative damage, and
aging: A hypothesis (1993) J. Pineal Res 14:151-168.