Subject: Re: Giardiasis / Archival Volunteers

From: [email-masked] (Yes, I'm still here...)
Date: 16 Sep 1994 00:25:40 GMT

Giardiasis refers to an infection of the small intestine caused by 
giardia lamblia. Many folks don't experience any sickness/symptoms,
but those who do experience symptoms ranging from flatuence to epigastric
pain, cramps, and/or diarrhea.  Severe cases can lead to malabsorbtion,
significant weight loss and bulky malordorous stools.

An important note - Dehydration and diarrhea are the primary killers
of children in the third world, which relates to dirty drinking
water and a lack preventitive health and personal hygiene education.

In a catastrophic disaster - where we live can very well be turned 
into a third world.  Also keep in mind that while diarrhea is something
we Americans think of as a nusance, in a more critical situation it
can be as fatal as any illness.

The G. lamblia is actually a trophozoite (a parasite) as and is
passed in the stool in the cyst stage making them very resistant.

I can't qoute a reliable source, but I believe that giardia is not the
most common cause of water-borne infection, rather the most publicized.

A contaminated water source presents the danger of cholera, typhoid,
heatitis and other life-threatening nasties.

Training is the key.

Greg

"Knowledge is courage"

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Allen)
Date: 16 Sep 1994 00:17:17 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (131E50000-HolderR(DR2688)300) writes:
>The number one cause of sickness from unsterilized water is
>from a bacteria called (I think) giardia <something>.  This
>bacteria makes you sick as a dog, but I don't think it's fatal.
>It occurs in mountain streams as well as stagnant water.  Also,
>if an animal dies upstream and decomposes, other bacteria can
>get in the water.
>
>There are a variety of ways to sterilize water, but the simplest
>is to bring it to a brisk boil for ten minutes.

New factoid:  according to  Dr. Erich  Weiss, creater of
the Adventure  (?) first aid  kits, ER  doctor  at Stanford
University, and expert at wilderness medicine, you don't
have to boil the water for 10 minutes.  He  says  that Giardia,
as well as all bacteria and viruses, are killed by the time
that water reaches the boiling point.  At  higher altitudes
water  boils  at lower temps  so  you might want to  let  the
water boil a minute or  so  to be  sure.  Here is what he said
in a seminar:

	* Giardia cysts die at about 140 F

	* Viruses are killed by the time water comes to a boil.
	  (sorry  I don't have temps).

I carry PolarPure  iodine  crystals  in solution with me to
purify water since  Iodine will reportedly kill anything in
the water.  Despite rumours, I've never  heard  of anyone
who was injured by  drinking iodine  treated water  for long
periods of time.  Dr. Weiss could not confirm it either.  IMHO
PolarPure is the best  way to go. Lighter, cheaper, and more
reliable  than mechanical filters, and it will kill viruses,
which filters will not get.  The only drawback is you have
to wait a while after putting in the iodine for it to purify
the water.  I carry two quart bottles so  I can  always have
one to drink from while the other is purifying.  I don't purify
cooking water, since boiling it will purify it.

---
Robert Allen, [email-masked]

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and
	do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

    The Constitution of the United States: R.I.P, 8/26/94