Subject: Aztec Sweet Herb
From: [email-masked] (Mark J. Dumic)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1993 21:49:02 GMT

I recebtly bought something called the Aztec Sweet Herb (Lippia
dulcia).  It's a perenial member of the Verbena family.  The tag says
that it was used by the Aztecs as a sweetner and is 1000 times sweeter
than sugar.  I've tasted a leaf and it did taste sweet.  In a catalog
that I have, it says that it's the flower that is used to sweetener.
Does anyone know for sure what part of the plant is used?  Is there
any harm in using the leaf (since it is sweet)?

No where have I seen much of a description of the conditions that this
plant preferrs.  Does anyone have any info on sun and soil conditions?
===

From: [email-masked] (James Daniel)
Date: 10 Aug 1993 12:16:50 -0500

Aztec sweet herb prefers cool mountainous areas that get plenty of
rain and fog.  It likes well-drained soil with a high mix of limestone
pebbles, I was told by my botany teacher.
	It grows mostly in the mountains of places like Colombia and
is becoming endangered due to overharvesting.  The leaves are usable
but the reasons flowers were traditionally used is that flowers are
sweeter and leaf removal often kills the plant.  Also, if you buy
leaves chances are the plant was uprooted or lopped off at ground
level, preventing its reproduction.
	The plant is indeed much sweeter than sugar and is a safe
traditional sugar substitute.  Due to its threatened status I would
recommend trying to grow your own or using other more readily
available sweeteners, unless you are a diabetic or are allergic to the
usual sweeteners.
	The plant likes full sun if you live in a foggy cool climate
like Britain or Oregon, partial shade or indoor plant otherwise.  It
is a close relative of _Lippia graveolens_, Mexican oregano.  Beware
as this plant is not very hardy and will freeze if you are colder than
about Zone 6 supposedly.  Indoors and out it likes average soil of a
neutral pH to a very slightly basic pH (6.8-7.5).  If you grow it
inside try a sunny south-facing window and mist occasionally.  Divide
or regrow from cuttings every few years or it will get woody and lose
potency.
	If you got an actual plant for your garden (sounds like it),
please email the source address to me or post it as I am interested in
helping preserve this useful plant by cultivating it.  Thanks and good
luck.
	P.S.  Didn't the place you got your plant from know how to
grow it? {tsk, tsk.  Likely trying to keep their trade secrets secret
so you'd have to buy more plants later.}  .