Subject: Garlic
From: [email-masked] (Barry Carlson)
Date: Mon, 10 May 1993 23:42:59 GMT

In response to CATfish:[email-masked]
>Can somebody enlighten me on the tricks to growing garlic?
>1) how deep do you plant the bulbs?

I plant my garlic about 3 inches deep, root end downwards and the
cloves about 6-8 inches apart (if mass planting).

>2) Does garlic grow on the surface like onions do, or does it
remain submerged?
The whole garlic remains submerged.

>3) How much water do they require?
In my climate I just put them in the ground and ignore them but to say
the least this is a "damp" climate.  In a drier area you might have to
pay attention to watering.

>4) Sunlight conditions?
They will grow in some shade but definitely do the best in full sun.

>5) Do you plant in the spring or fall?
You can plant in the spring or the fall, but I think that the bulbs
are much bigger and better with a fall planting.  I plant in late
September or early October.

>6) How much space is required?
Not much.  See above, but there is no need to plant a mass planting of
garlic. I stick them in as "companion plants" with all the things that
like the same growing conditions and also like being planted near
garlic: strawberries, tomatoes and roses.  I am somewhat of a sceptic
as regards companion planting, but it can't hurt.

>7) Feeding??
All the books say that garlic likes a sandy well drained soil, but
they can't be too particular because my soil is clay/silt and the
garlic does just fine.  They do like a rich soil -lots of compost and
manure.  I don't do any additional fertilizing other than the compost
and manure, but I am starting out with a fairly rich soil that just
needs lots of organic matter to break it up.

I leave the bulbs in the ground until the majority of the foliage goes
yellow and dies.  Here that happens in mid to late August.  Then the
garlic can be dug out and left outside but under cover to cure for a
few weeks.  Then it is stored in a cardboard box in our basement which
is dry and cool. These are the tricks I know for getting big bulbs:

a) Plant in the fall as mentioned.
b) Don't let the plant flower.  The plant will throw up a central
stalk that starts to curl and gets "bulb-like" on the end.  Get your
scissors and cut this off just below the "flower".  If the garlic puts
it's energy into producing flowers it isn't putting it's energy into
producing big bulbs.
c) The long term approach: Each year when you dig up your garlic
choose the biggest and best looking cloves and save these to be your
seed crop for the following year.  Having done this for three years
now our garlic is definitely a lot bigger.  I am absolutely convinced
that home grown garlic tastes better and lasts longer than anything
you can get in the stores.  Keep trying - this is one crop that is
really worth the effort.
-Moira Carlson