Subject: Herbs 1 of 2
From: [email-masked] (Bob Batson)
Date: 15 Mar 92 19:28:43 GMT

Hello All!

It's been a while since I've posted anything of interest.  Well, here is
a list of all lists:  The Common names of herbs, with thier scientific
names.  I am a very exacting gardener.  I like to know exactly what
plant I am growing, and it bothers me to no end when I find plants
labeled with their common names only.  I hope this list will help you
out at the garden nursery, and when mail ordering.

Allium amelophrasum. . . . . . . . . . . . . Leek, wild in Europe
Allium ascalonicum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .shallot
Allium cepa. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .onion
Allium porrum. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . leek, cultivated
Allium sativum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . garlic
Allium schoenoprasum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . chives
Allium tricoccum . . . . . . . . . . . . . .leek, wild in America
Alpinia galanga. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . galangal
Angelica archangelica officinalis. . . . . . . . . . . . angelica
Angelica atropupurea . . . . . . . . . . . . . angelica, American
Anethum graveolens . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . dill
Anthemis nobilis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .camomile, Roman
Anthriscus cerefolium. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .chervil
Apium graveolens . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . celery
Artemisia dracunculus. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .French tarragon
Asperula odorata . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . sweet woodruff

Barbarea verna . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Belle Isle cress
Borago officnallis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . borage
Brassica sinapis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .mustard
Brassica sinapis alba. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .white mustard
Brassica sinapis nigra . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .black mustard

Calendula officinalis. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . marigold
Capsicum annuum linn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . paprika pepper
Capsicum baccatum linn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cayenne pepper
Capsicum frutescens linn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . red pepper
Carthamus tinctorius linn. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .safflower
Caryphyllus aromaticus linn. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .clove
Chile ancho var. acuminatum. . . . . . . . . . . . .Mexican chili
Chrysanthemum balsamita. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . costmary
Cinnamomum burmanni blume. . . . . . . . . . . . .cassia, batavia
Cinnamomum cassia blume. . . . . . . . . . . . . Chinese cinnamon
Cinnamomum loureirii nees. . . . . . . . . . . . .French cinnamon
Cinnamomum zeylaicum nees. . . . . . . . . . . . . .true cinnamon
Coriandrum sativum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .coriander
Crocus sativus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .saffron
Cuminum cyminum. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cumin
Curcuma longa linn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .tumeric
Curcuma zedoaria . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . zedonary

Foeniculum vulgare . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .wild fennel
Foeniculum vulgare var. dulce. . . . . . . . . . . . sweet fennel

Hyssopus alba. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . white hyssop
Hyssopus officinalis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . hyssop
Hyssopus rubra . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .pink hyssop

Illicium verum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . star anise

Juniperus communis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . wild juniper

Laurus nobilis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .sweet bay, laurel
Lavandula spica. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . spike lavender
Lavandula stoechas . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .French lavender
Lavandula vera . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . English lavender
Lepidium sativum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . land cress
Levisticum officinale. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . lovage
Lippia citriodora. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .lemon verbena

Marrubium vulgare. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .horehound
Matricaria chamomilla. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .German camomile
Melissa officinalis. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . lemon balm
Mentha citrata . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .orange mint
Mentha gentilis variegata. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . apple mint
Mentha piperita. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . peppermint
Mentha piperita var. vulgaris. . . . . . . . . . black peppermint
Mentha rotundifolia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . apple mint
Mentha spicata . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .spearmint
Mentha spicata var. crispata . . . . . . . . . . . . . curly mint
Monarda citriodora . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . lemon bergamot
Monarda didyma . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . red bergamot
Monarda fistulosa. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .wild bergamot
Myristica agentiea warb. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . mace
Myristica fragrans houtt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . nutmeg
Myristica malabrica lam. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .wild mace

Nepeta cataria . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . catnip
Nigella sativa . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .black cumin

Ocimum basilicum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .sweet basil
Ocimum basilicum santum. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . holy basil
Ocimum citriodora. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .lemon basil
Ocimum crispum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Italian basil
          Ocimum minimum . . . . . .dwarf basil (green or purple)
Origanum marjorana linn. . . . . . . . . . . . . . sweet marjorum
Origanum onites. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pot marjorum
Origanum vulgare . . . . . .wild marjorum (often sold as oregano)

Papaver rhoeas . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .poppy
Papaver somniferum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .opium poppy
Pelargonium capitalum. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .rose geranium
Pelargonium graveolens . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .rose geranium
Petroselinum hortense. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .parsley
Petroselinum hortense var. crispum . . . . . . . . .curly parsley
Petroselinum hortense var. filicinum . . . . .fern-leaved parsley
Pimenta karst. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . allspice
Pimenta officnalis linn. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . allspice
Pimpinella saxifraga linn. . . . . . . . . . . . .European burnet
Piper nigrum linn. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . black pepper

Radicula armoracia . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .horseradish
Rorippa armoracia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .horseradish
Rosa damascena . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .damask rose
Rosa gallica . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .rose de Provins
Rosa chinensis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . China rose
Rosa rugosa. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .rugosa rose
Rosmarinus officinalis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . rosemary
Rumex acetosa. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .garden sorrel
Rumex scutatus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .French sorrel
Ruta graveolens. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .rue

Salvia horminum. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .garden sage
Salvia officinalis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .garden sage
Salvia officinalis alba. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . white sage
Salvia pratensis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .meadow sage
Salvia sclarea . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . clary sage
Salvia splendens . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pineapple sage
Sanguisorba minor. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . salad burnet
Sanguisorba officinalis. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . great burnet
Satureia hortensis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .summer savory
Satureia montana . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .winter savory
Sesamum indicum. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . sesame
Sesamum orientale. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .bene sesame
Sisymbrium nasturtium aquaticum. . . . . . . . . . . .water cress

Tanacetum vulgare. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . common tansy
Tanacetum vulgare var. cruspum . . . . . . . . .fern-leaved tansy
Thymus serphyllum. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . wild thyme

Thymus serphyllum albus. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .white thyme
Thymus serphyllum cocineus . . . . . . . . trailing scarlet thyme
Thymus serphyllum lanuginosus. . . . . . . . . . . . .wooly thyme
Thymus serphyllum var. citriodorus . . . . . . . . . .lemon thyme
Thymus vulgaris. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .English thyme
Tropaolum majus. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . nasturtium

Umbellularia californica . . . . . . . . . . . . . California bay

Valerianell lacustra . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . salad corn
Verbena hastata. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . American vervain
Verbena officinalis. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . European Vervain

Zingiber officinale roscoe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ginger