Subject: Re: Indoor herbs
From: [email-masked] (Sharon Badian)
Date: 7 Jun 93 21:21:42 GMT

[email-masked] (The Dreaded E) writes:

> 	I was going to ask which herbs can grow well indoors, but I
> think it would be easier if I asked which herbs do NOT grow well
> indoors?  I'm starting an herb garden for a friend, and so far I
> have (seeds not sown yet): parsley, sweet basil, oregano, dill,
> borage, thyme, summer savory, mustard, chives, and anise.  Anything
> I should know about these buggers?

This is from my own experience:

Parsley - grows well; I have found curly parsley doesn't bolt as
		quickly as Italian parsley indoors
Sweet Basil - not unless you have a lot of light and warm temps; if
		all you want is a few leaves now and then it will work
		but if you want to make pesto with it, forget it
Oregano - grows well
Dill - gets too big and leggy, tends to go to seed quickly too
Borage - never tried it
Thyme - grows well
Summer Savory - never tried it
Mustard - never tried it
Chives - grows well
Anise - same problem as dill

Herbs tend to take a while before they get big enough to harvest
if you grow them from seed. Your friend will have to be patient.
The exception to this is basil. It grows quite fast under good
conditions.

Sharon Badian
[email-masked]