Subject: Re: lemon grass
From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 16:37:59 GMT

[email-masked] Heather Booth said:
Heather> Can someone tell me how to harvest/store lemon grass?
Heather> When we buy it in the store it has a woody dry stalk.
Heather> The lemon grass in our garden (started from store bought
Heather> stalks) is green and not woody.    Can we cut it and use
Heather> the lower parts, even though they are green?  Will they
Heather> ever look like the stuff we get at the store? 

Lemon grass harvested fresh can be just chopped up and put in the
food.  Be aware that the leaves and stalks have very different
textures and flavor characters.  Yes, you can use it green or just
bind it up with twine and dry it.

CAUTION!!!  Once lemon grass is planted in a bed, it is close to
impossible to keep it from continuing to grow there.  It is like
bamboo, and it will also spread like bamboo.  This is also true for
horseradish.  Best to plant these in containers and be sure to never
empty the soil from these containers into any planting bed.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)455-5590x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Senior Software Engineer                      [email-masked]
Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California    ucsd!megatek!hollen