Subject: Re: How do you save onion seeds?
From: [email-masked] (James M Hoskins)
Date: 6 Jul 1993 18:44:42 GMT

Onion sets are very popular here in the Midwest USA.  The gardeners I
know are more likely to plant sets than seed.  Harvesting when the
sets are about 10-12 inches tall and eating raw or cooking with the
green tops is frequently done.  Many gardeners succession plant so
there will be a supply of green onions through the summer.  We have a
popular summertime meal addition which is called a 'relish tray.'  It
is a plate upon which garden vegetables such as radishes, cut-up
carrots and green onions are placed.  In some families (such as mine)
the relish tray is a special plate of thick clear glass with special
sections for each vegetable item.  Some people like to put salt on
their raw green onions.

Sets are permitted to bulb up by many gardeners and utilized
throughout the summer when raw onion slices are required or diced
onions are needed for cooking.  My experience is that onions from sets
do not store well.  For a good supply of cooking onions into the fall
and winter months I recommend planting onions from seed--they will
store better.