Subject: Rhubarb care
From: [email-masked] (JOHN HEIM )
Date: 26 May 92 19:03:59 GMT

Earlier someone asked about how to care for a rhubarb plant.  The 
following is from the instructions that came with the rhubarb that I 
ordered from J.W. Jung Seed Company.  It doesn't say it's copyrighted. 
:-)

  Rhubarb should be planted in a well drained soil that is high in 
  organic matter.  The hole should be dug extra large and manure, peat 
  moss or dairy organic should be mixed with the soil to be placed 
  around the roots.  The crown, or buds, should be planted 1 to 2 
  inches below the ground level with 3 feet between crowns.  Rhubarb is 
  a heavy feeder so it requires applicatiuon of fertilizer.  Keep the 
  soil well worked and mulch with well rotted manure or clean hay.  The 
  first year you should not pull any of the stems, but be sure to 
  remove the seed heads.  After the plants are established the weak 
  stems should be removed in early spring to stimulate growth of the 
  stronger stems.

  Established clumps will have to be trimmed every 4 to 5 years to keep 
  nice thick stems.  This is done by digging around and trimming the 
  crown down to 4 or 5 buds.  The only problem that you may encounter is 
  rot in the crowns from excessive water in the crown area.