Subject: Re: Q: Tudor courtyards/village greens
From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Rust)
Date: 22 JUN 94 12:56:11

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes...

[...]
> subjects in a "what if" sort of way: What if you were designing a
> layout for a Tudor-style village green or a Tudor-style court yard?
> What plants would you want to use?  What would be a good layout?
> How about a knot-garden using herbs?  What kinds of trees?  Fruit
> trees?  Non-fruit trees?  What flowers would be typical of the
> period?  Vegetables?  [...]

I recommend Barbara Damrosch's book "Theme Gardens," which includes a
"unicorn garden" (a flowery mead, based loosely on the plants depicted
in the unicorn tapestries), and a Shakespearian garden, which has more
period stuff. [If you want dead-on accurate period details, you might
want to check historical societies as well, but if you're looking for
ways to use readily-available plants to approximate the period, this
is a great idea book.]

Beth Rust
Digital Equipment Corp.
Nashua, NH	
[email-masked]