Subject: Fennel seeds.
From: [email-masked] (Leonard Adolph)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 19:46:00 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.gardens

On 08-04-94  23:48, Johanna Mantsinen mentioned All's tale about:
Fennel seeds.

 JM> I know that fennel seeds are sold as a spice in stores, my question
 JM> is how do I collect them? Is there a "best" time for picking them?
 JM> Do they need to be dried out, and how would I do that?

It's been a while since I grew fennel, but...  The flower heads will
turn brown when the seed is ripe and the seeds will come off easily. I
picked the whole heads straight into a paper bag and rubbed the seeds
off between my hands. I removed the larger stem pices by hand and then
dropped the seeds past a fan (outdoors) to blow out the smaller stem
pieces. At this point they can go straight into a jar for storage the
same as any other spice or seeds.

 JM> I guess lastly I'd like to know where they can be used, and
 JM> recipes or ideas where they can go in cooking/baking?

I played with fennel seeds in soups, stews and chili.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20f Beta